8.5

1. Dec 1, 2014
    As someone who thoroughly enjoyed and completed the original Deus Ex back in 2000, this one was definitely a must. I had bought the first release of Deus Ex: HR (DEHR) and the DLC, but didn't have the time to play it. When they released the Director's Cut which contained the DLC, improvements and fixes, I upgraded and am finally playing this.

It's an absolutely superb game. It's one of

It's an absolutely superb game. It's one of those rare occasions, where they did the original game justice, didn't dumb it down, but rather improved on the gameplay and graphics given the 13 years or so in between. The story is intriguing, and it is definitely one of those games that will suck you in and will keep things interesting. For instance, I absolutely do not mind revisiting a location, or combing every inch just to not miss a particular gadget, credit chip or other goodies. There are also a ton of different paths and even if the game tells you this, I will reiterate it again at this point: Think out of the box! The most direct path rarely works best. Not because you can't use it, but because it is usually the most difficult way.

An all-out assault will only do one thing: Antagonize entire factions and make you literally hide at every turn. It is far more fun to use the stealth approach and leave a location without so much as having raised any suspicion. You will also get the opportunity to augment your character with all kinds of bio-synthetic technology. Word of advice: Improving the hacking and cloaking abilities will make your life a lot easier throughout the game!

DEHR perfectly combines RPG and FPS elements, requires you to think while solving certain (security) puzzles, and there are choices to make that can affect the outcome of a situation and/or the potential reward. And, again, do look around. If you cannot get past a hack, somewhere there will be a PDA containing the code.

A brief note also on performance issues; I had them, too. It's not so much a frame rate drop, than a stutter, as if your computer is trying to load more data. Since there are no texture pop-ins, it's not a performance issue as such though. There are guides with a number of registry fixes which seem to have worked for some people, but not for me. My solution was to run the game at my monitor's native resolution. I found by chance that the game was auto set to 1920x1080 which is fine, except my screen's native resolution is 2048x1152. Once set to that, even on all settings maxed out, no more stuttering.

So, in conclusion, even if you do not know the original Deus Ex (I would strongly recommend you play it just for the sake of having played one of the best games of all time, despite the somewhat dated looks), this game is worth it. You are given a mission, how you approach it, is your call. If you want to go in with weapons blazing (providing your have the ammo for it), do so, if you want to go stealth, do that. Combine both approaches, sure. Trust me, it's going to be a great and memorable journey.

For me, personally, it sits right up there with the likes of Mass Effect and Splinter Cell. Truly epic.
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    Master mother ****ing piece. So much is done right in this game its really hard to nail one any one thing that I love the most about it. The music, the gameplay the story every thing just shines bright as hell!
  3. Jul 28, 2014
    Beautiful, terrifying, tragic and delicately human.
    Eidos had something to teach and tell us, a warning, and Deus Ex HR did it perfectly. A must have title and experience.
    Beautiful, terrifying, tragic and delicately human.

One of the greatest experiences in the history of virtual entertainment. It raises questions about our race, individuals and business that I think we all need to ask ourselves as we plummet into the 21st century - and it does it's predecessors proud. I don't think any fan of the original Deus Ex can complain about Human Revolution - it is a wonderful game.

I never rate anything with a 10, but I couldnt find a reason not to with Deus Ex HR. As for the 0 rating a few weeks before mine - the only people that would not appreciate the sheer brilliance of this game are mindless drones with no heart, Deus Ex Human Revolution is an evocative and touching rollercoaster ride of emotion.
  4. Sep 19, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you justDeus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you just gotta have to use any weapon with the a silencer attached); the takedown system: while you takedown an enemy (by killing or neutralize him) the game froze and the other enemies near you literally stands and look at you taking down the target... very disappointing. Hacking system is good, i really like it but why hacking is improved by augmentation and not skills ? (like in Deus Ex 1 where hacking was considered as a skill).
    Overall the game is not bad, (considering that nowdays games are firstly produced for consoles, and consoles HAVE RUINED gaming experience) sure it dosen't compete with Deus Ex 1 but it is way better of Deus Ex 2... My advice: play it!
  5. Aug 26, 2011
    Amazing game. Just truly amazing and well worth the $40 dollars off Amazon(use key to activate on Steam). I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to reach my first boss fight. To anyone who says this is linear...I would call them drunk. Yes there is an overall storyline to reach but you can do it however you like and reach it however you like. Unlike some linear games like FF13. Now that'sAmazing game. Just truly amazing and well worth the $40 dollars off Amazon(use key to activate on Steam). I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to reach my first boss fight. To anyone who says this is linear...I would call them drunk. Yes there is an overall storyline to reach but you can do it however you like and reach it however you like. Unlike some linear games like FF13. Now that's linear, this is far from that. On top of which you have these huge side missions that get you into more details about what's going on and you spend even more time figuring out how you want to complete a mission. You can play in a sense of going in guns a blazing or sneaking and silently killing. The amount of content put into this game is far greater than any other single-player in the past 4 years. This is how games should be made. Not 8 hours of gameplay for $60. Supposedly the game takes around 25-40 hours to complete depending on what you all do. Then once you're done you can do it again in another mode and find another ending(I hear there's quite a few). For the people who say the game has bad graphics is drunk. The game is amazing and plays super smooth. The game does sport some DX11 features which I wish I could see but I don't have a card that supports DX11...yet. But I hear it makes the game even more amazing looking. The only problem I have with the game is the slow loading of saves as sometimes it can take 20-30 seconds but I really have no problem with that. The game saves everything you do everywhere. If you clear out an area that area is going to stay clear for the most part unless some special NPC needs to appear there. So no wasted time re-clearing the same areas. Lastly you can spend hours reading all the content put into the game world. It's literally everywhere. Some hidden, some not but it really shows you how much detail they put into the game.

This game is really worth it and I suggest everyone buy this game for sure.
  6. Sep 18, 2011
    Being a person who didn't enjoy the original Deus Ex (though, admittedly, I had played it 10 years after its original release date), I didn't expect much from this game but hype. That could be the reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did, though. It seemed almost as if it was made for consoles, even though I know it was made for PCs. It had a few bugs here and there, and I thought theBeing a person who didn't enjoy the original Deus Ex (though, admittedly, I had played it 10 years after its original release date), I didn't expect much from this game but hype. That could be the reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did, though. It seemed almost as if it was made for consoles, even though I know it was made for PCs. It had a few bugs here and there, and I thought the first boss was very OP, but I still enjoyed playing this game very much. The story line was hit and miss, and depended a lot (almost entirely) on Adam's love interest. The hacking system was INCREDIBLY well designed, forcing me to think strategically every time I had to get through a door, open a safe, etc. All hacking was also done in real time, meaning that the world around you doesn't go on a lunch break just because you need to get though a door, you will still be shot at. This game did a LOT of things right, and even if you rated this game a 0, you must admit that it had something that every game could learn from. Expand
  7. Aug 28, 2011
    Excellent game, I most definitely replaying this game again just like I did with the original Deus Ex 11 years ago. By the way, anyone who says that they got the idea for conversations/choices from Mass Effect are simply silly, and do not realize their ignorance. :D

This game just lives up to the first and even beats it in my book. It's everything I was wanting from a sequel.
  8. Sep 2, 2011
    I did not play through the first Deus Ex or IW but I know at the very least the first game was amazing and people consider it to be a highly developed game. I suppose I took some of this into account when playing through HR and maybe I shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong this game starts out spectacular and it feels as though you have a ton of options and ways to achieve how you would likeI did not play through the first Deus Ex or IW but I know at the very least the first game was amazing and people consider it to be a highly developed game. I suppose I took some of this into account when playing through HR and maybe I shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong this game starts out spectacular and it feels as though you have a ton of options and ways to achieve how you would like to play. HR also gives a great depth in story and really foreshadows a lot of coming events that will play their course. After a little under half way through the game though and for others it could be sooner the game really starts to fall short. Limited usage of Praxis points, difficulty, voice acting, choices not mattering at all, and feeling that you already know what is going to happen actually happens are the big issues for me. Why do I say there are limited uses for the talent system in the game? For one hacking is everything and if you don't pick it up you will be playing a regular shooter. After picking up hacking their is only some niche abilities that you can pick up and they really don't alter your gameplay much if any. Picking up the ability to lift any object will do you the same good as being able to punch through walls. It's like you pick up one of them you don't need to pick up the others because one size fits all. After receiving ~15 points you won't even need to place anymore in your setup because you don't need them. This leads into the difficulty which I played on the hardest. If you choose to go the stealth route you will find that this game is easier than hell. Simply wait until your energy is at full walk to the person you intend to knock out and , don't worry about them seeing you because apparently soldiers don't have peripheral vision, and success. If you do intend to play this game on it's hardest settings you have to deal with an outdated cover system that is dreadfully boring. Granted it is a lot harder than stealthing but since when is poking out of a wall to fire a round in the head and hiding again fun? Normally I don't care about voice acting and everyone in the game was very well voiced in my opinion except for the one that matters. Adding on to his douchey apparel Jensen is the uberdouche of video games and it will be hard to dethrone the man. On another note the choices in this game don't matter at all. When it comes down to the ending you choose what you wish and it plays a cut-scene. That sure was fun when it was done oh I don't know ~10 years ago? Even when you wanted to be the dick or the good guy other little nuances would be added in so your choices actually meant something. Hell I even did something I knew would end up being terrible for me but did it affect me in any way? Nope, they had a cut-scene for that to make all my blatant stupidity just go away. Which brings us to how bad the story was, not only did you know what was going to happen half way through the game there were no surprises or twists. It was like, "Look at our visuals aren't they pretty? Oh and don't worry about the story we have more visuals for you!." The game was written like a bad Hollywood movie where you know what is going to happen from the foreshadowing that they do at the start. Getting past all of that, the game lasted me ~30 hours and from what I am thinking there is no replay ability. 45 dollars for that much of a game is just not worth it in my book and I am glad I played a friends copy and did not waste the money on it. I really want to give this game a 4/10 just because of the douche voice but I suppose a 5/10. Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'mI don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of these wheels. They neither tell you exactly what you'll say nor are they sometimes even remotely close to what the text alludes to. There really needs to be a switch from "text" to "mood" of responses. Angry, Comforting, what have you. Just stop making these terrible dialogue wheels people. Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2011
    While the game does suffer from consolitis, I think it's still worth checking out on a PC. It feels very polished and once you take care of the sensitivity and the FOV, it is very enjoyable with one of the best told stories in recent gaming history. Customization is great and different gameplay styles add for some replay value. I like FPS so I went shooting through all the way and likedWhile the game does suffer from consolitis, I think it's still worth checking out on a PC. It feels very polished and once you take care of the sensitivity and the FOV, it is very enjoyable with one of the best told stories in recent gaming history. Customization is great and different gameplay styles add for some replay value. I like FPS so I went shooting through all the way and liked it... if you prefer stealth, prepare to spend twice as much time on completing it. Expand
  11. Sep 6, 2011
    This game should not get a perfect score because of the cumbersome boss battles and flaky AI yet I think it deserves a 10 out of 10 for the fact that Deus Ex: Human Revolution excels at everything else it does. Long ago I played Deus Ex and was overwhelmed by the options and possibilities in the sci-fi rpg so rest assured I was happily back at home with DE:HR. Gameplay is king here. YouThis game should not get a perfect score because of the cumbersome boss battles and flaky AI yet I think it deserves a 10 out of 10 for the fact that Deus Ex: Human Revolution excels at everything else it does. Long ago I played Deus Ex and was overwhelmed by the options and possibilities in the sci-fi rpg so rest assured I was happily back at home with DE:HR. Gameplay is king here. You know the gameplay is solid when you are evolving your play style as you go and the game encourages you along the way. Being stealthy in this game takes some getting used to (third person camera is weird at first) but you are never penalized for going on a killing spree. As the game progressed I stopped being a one man army and started learning how to move through the world without being noticed. I was rewarded for this with bonus experience points while the levels themselves were getting more challenging. What really sells this game is the rich story and characters that had obviously been well thought-out and combed over many times because simply, it is memorable and works. The main badass, Mr. Adam Jensen, is interesting enough and with his grizzly voice tumbles his way through the narrative but his boss David Sarif tends to surprise me a lot more with his own lines of dialogue and story-arc. I really love this game, and to attest to how captivated I was, I dropped playing halfway through Mass Effect 2 to finish this game. Expand
  12. Sep 4, 2011
    This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.This game is a beast.
  13. Aug 25, 2011
    This game is pure awesome. I've started it on the hardest difficulty and i really must use stealth, neutralise enimies silently, hacking security and do all this espionage stuff. Dialogues are also great, no one tells you how your replies will influence the outcome of a conversation, and you must carefully pick them to achieve positive results. There is no "LMB to be good, RMB to be bad".This game is pure awesome. I've started it on the hardest difficulty and i really must use stealth, neutralise enimies silently, hacking security and do all this espionage stuff. Dialogues are also great, no one tells you how your replies will influence the outcome of a conversation, and you must carefully pick them to achieve positive results. There is no "LMB to be good, RMB to be bad". Hacking mini-game is just fantastic, ME2's hacking is just a joke compared to DE's one, it's really interesting, and i really enjoy almost every mini-game.
    There are some flaws in the game, but they are so minor that you hardly notice them. One of them is quality of prerendered cutscenes - for some reason they look worse than ingame render. The second is quite long loading times.

The game is absolutely worth it's 50 bucks. Buy it.
  14. Aug 24, 2011
    I was first weary to buy this game i put allot of thought into it and bought it four hours on steam before the release and preloaded it i waited in till 3AM to start the game up and try it out and from the very begging i have loved the game. i am extremely glad i got this game and i would recommend it to any one looking for a good game. Also this is personally one of my favorite games ofI was first weary to buy this game i put allot of thought into it and bought it four hours on steam before the release and preloaded it i waited in till 3AM to start the game up and try it out and from the very begging i have loved the game. i am extremely glad i got this game and i would recommend it to any one looking for a good game. Also this is personally one of my favorite games of the year. 10/10 Expand
  15. Aug 26, 2011
    Excellent atmosphere, Flawless soundtrack, and the fact that you discover something new every time you play through again makes this game a worthy contender to Game of The Year. This and Skyrim are going to be neck and neck for GOTY.
  16. Aug 27, 2011
    Absolutely the best game in years. Ignore any reviews stating problems with hardware or anything along the lines of technical issues. The game has been out for only 3 days, and already patches have been released on steam to reduce load times by 50%, and so on. The storyline is deep and engaging, the game is addictive and never feels repetative. Eidos Montreal has created a winner withAbsolutely the best game in years. Ignore any reviews stating problems with hardware or anything along the lines of technical issues. The game has been out for only 3 days, and already patches have been released on steam to reduce load times by 50%, and so on. The storyline is deep and engaging, the game is addictive and never feels repetative. Eidos Montreal has created a winner with this one.. one can only look forward to the next title in the series which will improve upon the few minor faults in this title. Expand
  17. Sep 8, 2011
    Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution simply aren't made anymore. The last time we saw a game this flexible where you actually had a choice in how to play that not only affected story but gameplay around you was Vampire the Masquerade and before that the Original Deus Ex.

Great graphics, a deep augment system, tons of optional side content and big sprawling quest hubs make this game easily the best at what it does. Even better than the original.
  18. Oct 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall I think this game is good. I hate RPGs, so I appreciate that you don't have to care about the story or listen to hours of NPC drivel. Instead, you can just play it as a stealth shooter-type game or whatever. But what totally kills this game are the arbitrarily difficult boss battles. There is nothing of sufficient challenge leading up to the boss battles to prepare you for them. If you've relied mostly on stealth tactics for other parts of the game, you're screwed because they don't work against bosses. Many have raved about how this game allows you to play in your own style. That's true except for the boss battles. Hopefully you just happened to select the correct augmentations along the way to get through them so they aren't too much of a disruption.

I was annoyed by the first boss battle but got through it well enough. But the second one where you fight the "she-aug" in front of the giant AI news-bot thing is just stupid. I used my augmented vision to chase her around the arena pumping 200 heavy machine-gun rounds into her then another 70 rounds from the combat rifle, then a few rounds from the pistol. There was no sign of this causing her any harm so it's strange she kept running away. She clearly had the impervious-to-bullets augmentation. By the way, when do I get one of those for myself? So my conclusion is that this game is lacking in continuity to a degree that may annoy those who do not normally play action-RPGs. Given how easily my character can die, it seems like 200 heavy machine-gun rounds should take care of just about any human, augmented or otherwise.
  19. Sep 25, 2011
    Deus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade actionDeus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade action game rather than a tactical game. Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2012
    Amazing game. This is one of those rare gems that is both extremely fun to play, but also has an engaging story. The play is fluid, fun and balanced, whether you are playing a rambo or stealth/hacker. The plot is great and lets you get very involved in what's going on. It doesn't get at 10 because of the shoddy boss battles (boo to unfun boss battles). Everything else is perfect.
  21. Oct 18, 2011
    I enjoyed it a great deal and was able to immerse myself in the cyberpunk world despite not having played the previous games. What I enjoyed the most was that the game encourages you to seek alternative paths and rely on stealth. However the game lacks a bit of character development as far as I'm concerned. Most of the NPC's are bland while some feel underdeveloped, like there was no timeI enjoyed it a great deal and was able to immerse myself in the cyberpunk world despite not having played the previous games. What I enjoyed the most was that the game encourages you to seek alternative paths and rely on stealth. However the game lacks a bit of character development as far as I'm concerned. Most of the NPC's are bland while some feel underdeveloped, like there was no time to finish and record more dialogue. What I would have loved to see is meeting your friends or colegues at your apartament to enjoy some R&R, just to ease the transitions between missions a little. Overall I was satisfied with this title. I will be purchasing the dlc that came out recently as soon as it's less than 10 euros. Expand
  22. Apr 13, 2013
    Great game, great feel, great environment, great gameplay. It's not perfect, but nothing worth mentioning.

I played about an hour of the game at first, then put the game down for almost a year. I don't know why, but I didn't get into it at first. Maybe because I had just got my gaming pc, and I wasn't to used to the keyboard and mouse setup. I don't really know. I try not to dwell on it. That was in the past. Things have changed.

HOWEVER, I picked it up again, bored one day, and I played the f-word out of it. Until I beat it. And I'm about to start a whole other play through. I hope they put another one out, and soon.

Great game.
  23. Nov 3, 2011
    Most overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored ofMost overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored of crawling down ventalation shafts. Maybe if thats your thing, you`ll enjoy this game. But for me, I prefer some good solid sandbox action in a large environment with bang upto date graphics. This game has none of that. Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2011
    Definitely a worthy game in the Deus Ex line unlike the nightmare of IW. Great story, interesting characters, a unique art design, and q phenomenal soundtrack really make it an experience. However, boss fights can be a pain with certain augmentations.
  25. Oct 15, 2014
    This is simply one of the best single player games I'v ever played. You like sneaking around the guards? You'll love this. You like marking in and murdering everyone? You'll love this. You like collecting clues and solving puzzles? You'll love this. You like coming back and discovering new solutions to the same scenario on your second play through? You'll love this. It is great. 10/10
  26. Oct 18, 2012
    As a cyberpunk fan i dived into this game with lots of expectations and all thing lived up to the hype! It's a great game with great script, writing, dialogue, intrigue and stealth/FPS/RPG elements. It worth every penny spent on it!
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    To begin with, Deus Ex is a good game making me play over 20+ hours for a single play-through. With its interesting approach in combat lethal or non-lethal. It also features side-quests and it's augmentation skills are cool. However, this game is dumb downed with it's stupid AI in which I can give you evidence. I ran right in front of an enemy yet he still doesn't detect me. AI is purelyTo begin with, Deus Ex is a good game making me play over 20+ hours for a single play-through. With its interesting approach in combat lethal or non-lethal. It also features side-quests and it's augmentation skills are cool. However, this game is dumb downed with it's stupid AI in which I can give you evidence. I ran right in front of an enemy yet he still doesn't detect me. AI is purely blind and foolish, and the story is decent which I had already forgotten about it. I still haven't mention about it's bad boss fights, the devs just seem to use normal enemy AI to a more powerful "guard". I managed to survive a boss fight without losing a health since *he* just kept shooting at a wall. Finally, you will find a ridiculous fall damage height in the game to prevent this get an augmentation
    Overall DE:HR is a good game but doesn't stand up to be a great game (8-10/10) in my review but it has been a fun ride playing this.
  28. Jul 22, 2013
    gomy game of my life)... just fantastic gameplay, story line, art style soundtrack you MUST check it out) this game made me cry for thinking that it is getting over and i will never can see this things again with the same suprise. the game is also have a political aspect that is just amazing graphics are a bit ugly but the style of the game is fantastic
  29. Oct 24, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a very good game. It's the kind of game you fee like revisiting and playing again in a different way.

Some people argument that the many choices of skill are actually useless since only some of them are actually usefull. Well, I don't agree. Of course some of them are situational, but "situational" can make a pretty big difference in some missions, and those few times that it will make a huge difference is why you risk buying them. Anyway, is just a style, does that mean is bad ?

The most important aspect of this game, in my opinion, it's the atmosphere. It's immersive. You'll simply LOVE the wolrd around you. The logic of everyting and how social issues are portrayed in this futuristic wolrd are believable and quite realistic (we ARE talking about fiction, don't forget that)

The second strongest point to be quoted abou this game, it's the story. It's filled with action and also reflection. You want to get there and get things done because you want to know how the story will develop. The side missions ain't that bad, you'll have fun playing a lot of them.

The protagonist isn't the strongest point in my opinion, but you grow to like him.

The graphics are beautiful.

The gameplay... oh the gameplay. I was just surprised. I knew nothing about this game when I played it. I just went for it expecting an FPS. Well, most of the part is might seem like just an FPS, but it's actually much more than that. Using your skills in the right time, deciding if you are goin' to open fire or been stealthy makes a huge difference on the outcome and in how you feel the game.

Well, simply put, it's a very fun story, with an original construction and is, above all, a very fun ride.

But the current price you'll be finding this on Steam, you just SHOULD get it.
  30. Nov 15, 2015
    I tried really hard to like this game. I really did. Ultimately though the experience just wasn't worth it. And its not so much that there was anything particularly bad (apart from one thing which was awful), it was the stack-up of a million little things that made this game unbearable to play.

The good of it was that it was a stealth game. You could avoid combat in almost every scenario with enough time and cunning. The stealth and cover system were basically well done. I can't really complain. The weapons were unique and varied, each one with its own personal flavor and the inclusion of nonlethal weapons was also a nice touch. The game's atmosphere was also well done and well maintained. I had a real sense of investment in the story and when things started turning new directions it actually managed to play with my emotions.

But that is also where the game started falling apart. Atmosphere is broken by the simple ugliness of the game as the graphics are crap and the animations are the second worst known to video games, edged out for last only by Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Everyone animates like C3PO from Star Wars and apparently have nutcracker jaws. Really disappointing for such a big budget game. The character models are also garbage, having completely unrealistic proportions. On the note of graphics, was it necessary to make the cutscenes prerendered? They were not any better in quality than the 3d engine's graphics and the change was always unwarranted and awkward.

On the note of atmostphere breaking things, I always loved how the smallest most obscure objects managed to hide Adam's bulk. I am pretty sure you can't hide from someone who is literally looking over your shoulder. In that regard the stealth was really forgiving but on other occasions it wasn't. Can I please dispatch people 1 half of a nanosecond after they have spotted me without the entire galaxy being put on alert? No? Well as long as I am asking for things, can I have a sniper rifle scope that is bigger than 4 pixels on my screen (3 of which i should add are completely obscured by fancy guilding and golden pixels)? Ahh, I see that's a no as well.

As would also the answer to my requests for thermal vision to detect invisible enemies (we can see through walls but can't see infrared, wtf mate?), more sidequests, boss fights where the bosses don't get cheapshot attacks and that actually make use of the mechanics other than shooting (bosses are uncessarily tough, they can already one shot anyways), bosses which are explained as to why they hate me, and a story that doesn't have more "PSYCH!" plot-twist moments and ambiguity than any game I've seen to date.

You know what? That was actually all tolerable. The iffy mechanics, bad graphics, hard-to-follow story, the horsecrap boss fights - all that I can live with. The thing that ultimately broke this game for me was the ending, which to give you a taste is actually impossible to spoil because it reveals, resolves, and explains literally nothing. Its just a voice-over of Adam talking about how great he is for his final decision.

So Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Good because I felt invested and it was kinda fun stealthy gameplay. Bad because literally everything else. And compeltely bollocks ending.
  31. Jun 4, 2014
    This is one of the best stealth games that I have ever played it even beats Splinter Cell imo thanks to it's great storytelling and consistent shooting mechanics. It is also fun to play without focusing too much on stealth but the game is made for stealth because there are many hidden areas to discover using stealth methods and it is almost crucial in some moments stay hidden. The graphicsThis is one of the best stealth games that I have ever played it even beats Splinter Cell imo thanks to it's great storytelling and consistent shooting mechanics. It is also fun to play without focusing too much on stealth but the game is made for stealth because there are many hidden areas to discover using stealth methods and it is almost crucial in some moments stay hidden. The graphics and the level design is well designed imo and suits the future sci-fi setting of the game. I also like the features of upgrading augmentations which is very useful for better stealth or crucial for reaching hidden areas but also very important to have for boss fights. And also the music soundtrack was very enjoyable and it suited perfectly with the atmosphere of the game. I highly recommend this game and I really hope they make an remake with a sequel because the setting and story of this game is actually a prologue of the older games in Deus Ex franchise which is odd because you often have it in a chronological order but this game is actually the first in terms of setting but I hope they make a remake or something of the older games with better graphics, and hopefully more interesting features. Because this game needs to have a sequel. I highly recommend this game to all because it is a great game! Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2014
    Ahhhh yesss. Now that's the game I love. Cyberpunk climate where you can almost smell the street itself. Great character progression and very interesting plot that keeps your attention for the whole game. There was not a single moment where I could feel like being bored by the game progression. Combat is versatile. You can either go and deal with everything rambo style or you can do itAhhhh yesss. Now that's the game I love. Cyberpunk climate where you can almost smell the street itself. Great character progression and very interesting plot that keeps your attention for the whole game. There was not a single moment where I could feel like being bored by the game progression. Combat is versatile. You can either go and deal with everything rambo style or you can do it silently or even diplomatically or even by making up a smart intrigue. You really will never get bored in this aspect of the game. What is more the dialogue options are very well done and are juast as versatile as combat it. Graphics is good and music fits in perfectly. Also the game is very well optimized.

I have just a one element that felt a bit weird - a bit like out of the game and that is boss fight. What makes it weird is the fact that if you make your character progression in other way then you might have VERY SERIOUS problems beating the boss.

Overall that is the kind of game I like and I hope for another sequel in the franchise.
  33. Dec 3, 2016
    Substantial experience, and 5 playthroughs over the years means a lot. Are you surprised, yes these are the same people that created the abysmal Thief 4, it's hard to believe. The original Deus Ex was actually my very first game, it came free bundled with a new computer but I was not into games so it sat in the drawer for years... now I still play it today! HR is a fantastic throwback.Substantial experience, and 5 playthroughs over the years means a lot. Are you surprised, yes these are the same people that created the abysmal Thief 4, it's hard to believe. The original Deus Ex was actually my very first game, it came free bundled with a new computer but I was not into games so it sat in the drawer for years... now I still play it today! HR is a fantastic throwback. It's not perfect, for example the brutally unfair boss fights, and finding your way around Hengsha... the map is pretty much useless. Still a worthy successor, PC gaming is currently dead and we're all looking for old classics, this is good one. Expand
  34. Apr 14, 2016
    Not too bad, but becomes tedious as the game wears on.

My first complaint is that I find pure stealth play very frustrating. It seems unclear to me what works and what doesn't. And many hours spent with my finger over the quick save/reload buttons didn't change anything. That could be me. But the stealth play just doesn't feel smooth and rewarding, like in say, Thief: The Dark Project.
    Not too bad, but becomes tedious as the game wears on.

There's so much reading material in this game, and so little of it is at all interesting. I really enjoyed reading the datapads in the original game. Not so here. Pity, because hacking is pretty fun, but the only reward is XP. So it feels gamey when I just hack every damn thing to get the xp, with no real motivation.

I didn't really care about the story. By the end I was just playing to finish. I think it was going for some kind of profound moral dilemma, but I found the ending pretty yawn inducing. I did not care to explore the other endings. I always felt somehow as though the interesting part of the story was happening somewhere else, as though the game suggested something interesting was taking place in the world, but didn't really expose me to it. All I got was drab offices to shoot people in, or to scuttle about ventilation ducts in

The characters are distinctly drab for the most part, a couple of them are okay. David Sarif is pretty memorable as the roguish cyber don with dubious morals. But mostly, there's no chance of feeling anything for any of them, or being interested in their plights. I can't remember what the girlfriend was called.

The most fun I had was around the time that my early augmentations started kicking in, galavanting around Detroit nabbing bent cops and screwing with augmented street gangs and stuff. A more fun game might have focused more on street level cybercop stuff, and we could forget about the lame grand conspiracy stuff offered here.

Levels feel rather cramped and labyrinthine. I found navigating pretty annoying. They also feel pretty linear.

Obviously, nowhere near as good as the original game. But it captures a lot of the vibe. In fact, the game world feels quite slavishly based on the original Deus Ex's style. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. It's a very well realized homage.
  35. Aug 22, 2016
    Got this game because of Mankind Divided. I wanted to familiarize myself with Deus Ex and understand the story. Was kind of disappointed considering all the praise the Deus Ex games get. Becomes repetitive after a while, the look and design of each level are all copy and paste. Barely any variety when it comes to mission. The side quests are weak, the extra praxis points are not worth itGot this game because of Mankind Divided. I wanted to familiarize myself with Deus Ex and understand the story. Was kind of disappointed considering all the praise the Deus Ex games get. Becomes repetitive after a while, the look and design of each level are all copy and paste. Barely any variety when it comes to mission. The side quests are weak, the extra praxis points are not worth it all. I did appreciate the freedom of approach in missions though. Expand
  36. Nov 4, 2011
    Great game, it is a HUGE game to complete (Must have put in well over 25 hours and still haven't finished it yet as I'm doing all sidequests) , Sexy graphics , smooth controls and a deep, engaging plot with twists and turns.

Another example of a great 2011 game. Eidos Interactive deserve a pat on the back for this.
  37. Oct 25, 2011
    If you liked previous Deus Ex games, you will love this one as well. There is very little difference in terms of gameplay and game mechanics. I will say right now, this is NOT a perfect game, however it deserves better than a 9/10 and so I rounded up. The story is incredible, they pull you in so deep it's amazing. The graphics are great (DX11). I highly recommend it and this is now one ofIf you liked previous Deus Ex games, you will love this one as well. There is very little difference in terms of gameplay and game mechanics. I will say right now, this is NOT a perfect game, however it deserves better than a 9/10 and so I rounded up. The story is incredible, they pull you in so deep it's amazing. The graphics are great (DX11). I highly recommend it and this is now one of my favorite games. It is easily the most epic first person shooter I have played. The music is amazing, and every situation has many ways around it, so you aren't confined to only getting a certain few augments, there is a way to do everything with what ever augments you pick. The only bad thing I would say about this game is that the energy system for using augmentations was poor, why waste money to fill up energy cells when you can just stay at 1 and let it recharge for free? But that's not a huge deal at all. Regardless, if you're a true gamer you will very much enjoy this game. The PC version is spotless, and the player can tell it was made to be played on a PC. Its a great game, get it today. Expand
  38. Sep 12, 2011
    I got to stop buying these console ports. They suck. So does this one. Boring and tedious hacking of terminals, inventory management and a droning sound track make this game a turd. If Mass Effect 2 was a 9+ this one is a 5. I'm giving it a 2 to get the average score down to something approaching reality. You almost die and they rebuild you as a cyborg...seen it. Robocop, Quake 4, SixI got to stop buying these console ports. They suck. So does this one. Boring and tedious hacking of terminals, inventory management and a droning sound track make this game a turd. If Mass Effect 2 was a 9+ this one is a 5. I'm giving it a 2 to get the average score down to something approaching reality. You almost die and they rebuild you as a cyborg...seen it. Robocop, Quake 4, Six Million Dollar Man...been there. I really do want to finish the story but the game play is so stale and rehashed that I am stopping. I just don't care that much to waste anymore time. I will wait for Mass Effect 3. Expand
  39. Aug 23, 2011
    After Deus Ex: Invisible War, I have been waiting for a game that would be considered the true successor to Deus Ex. Human Revolution has fulfilled this. This game is the true Deus Ex 2.
  40. Nov 7, 2011
    Another example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex atAnother example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex at least made some attempt to branch the story in a meaningful way. The progression system is also pretty much devoid of choice because you will end up with all the worthwhile options maxed anyway, the only decision you make is the order in which you max them.

It's a really average game folks, why the hype?
  41. Aug 28, 2011
    I am a longtime PC gamer who never played the legendary Deus Ex original. In the beginning, this game seems to underwhelm: Detroit's environs are drab and depressing; gameplay options appear limiting; and characters fit into broadly generic molds.

However, Human Revolution improves dramatically several hours in, turning into a spectacular and rare treat: like few before it, this game rewards what you put into it. You delve into the intricate plot conspiracy, hack computers for key details and hardware, scan for several ways to take out and evade enemies, and agonize over which augmentations to apply with your precious Praxis points to supplement your playstyle. The art design is also second to none, applying strokes of visual brilliance to a thematically consistent canvas, opening up beautifully once you enter China.

I spent almost 12 continuous hours playing through the middle part of the game - something I've almost never done before. After Mass Effect 2, this is my favorite single-player experience in the last ten years; it is one of those rare gems that reminds you why you love gaming. It rises above the din and drone of todayâ
  42. Aug 30, 2011
    This game is absolutely outstanding and a refreshing break from all those (IMHO) boring medieval fantasy games or first-person-shooters that are around. While the graphics don't offer high resolution textures or any fancy effects (can't really notice the Tessellation effect, it's very subtle), it still looks good and kinda natural. The facial animations suck. I don't understand why gameThis game is absolutely outstanding and a refreshing break from all those (IMHO) boring medieval fantasy games or first-person-shooters that are around. While the graphics don't offer high resolution textures or any fancy effects (can't really notice the Tessellation effect, it's very subtle), it still looks good and kinda natural. The facial animations suck. I don't understand why game developers still use FaceFX.
    As for the gameplay, if you're a die-hard fan of the first Deus Ex, you're gonna like HR, too. It's very close to the first game and far away from the second one. (Which, we all agree, sucked.)
    I like the story, too. I was always a fan of cyberpunk things and conspiracy themed stories. In between it may seem a little dull, but it's entertaining nonetheless.
    The voice acting is...alright. It's not exceptionally good nor is it bad.

Soo... 9/10, definitely a recommendation.
  43. Feb 10, 2013
    average at best.it was one of games when all interest is gone and you just want to complete the game.the same theme through, hack computers, crawl through vents, easy bosses even on hard.it just was a huge overrated failure.
  44. Jul 31, 2012
    Rarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-outRarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-out gunfight (although it is worth noting that on PC, aiming down your sights is toggle-only) provided you have the weapons, ammunition and FPS skill to take all of your enemies down, or you can find an alternate entry and sneak past guards undetected, taking them down silently as you crawl through the shadows. I found this approach to be more fun and more rewarding, as exploring secret areas and finding uncommon routes to your objective will net you XP and item rewards. While there is no level or level cap in the game, gaining enough XP by taking down enemies, finding secret areas and completing objectives will earn you praxis points, which can be invested into the game's skill tree. These upgrades that you can purchase using praxis, called augmentations, will increase your chances of survival and should reflect your play style. If you tend to find yourself in gunfights a lot, you'll want to upgrade your weapon damage and health. If you're a sneaky bugger and you don't want your enemies to know what hit them, you'll probably be best off purchasing the stealth augmentations. If you like coercing others into sharing your point of view in conversations, you'll want the augmentation that allows you to see how people are reacting to what you're saying.
    Stealth is arguably the tougher method of completing the game, but I found it to be extremely rewarding. I have not played any other Deus Ex game before, nor am I particularly fond of stealth games; I struggle to complete Splinter Cell games. But Human Revolution is very accessible for the average player, the balancing is great and it never feels like the game has an unfair advantage over you, nor that it is too easy. And even if you bought the game expecting an FPS, you won't be disappointed. The shooting feels varied and functional, with an array of weapons at your disposal.
    Between these missions, you will have time to explore the cities the game takes place in. There may not be a lot of them and they may not be very large in size, but they're just enough to allow you some breathing space between the fast-paced action that takes place during missions. You can sell and buy items, talk to people and look for loot around areas such as Detroit or Hengsha, a Chinese city with a completely different atmosphere. Sometimes I felt as though the game could offer me a little more freedom in roaming its setting, but it's nothing that will ruin the experience.
    The game's story won't leave you sobbing, but it's a solid tale that holds together the masterful game-play. Some bits in particular that I won't spoil, were very well made and truly had an impact on the way I viewed the characters involved.
    This game is fantastic. Solid shooting, balanced and very rewarding stealth, a thoughtfully made skill tree, all surrounded by a good story make for a very fun experience. If you're remotely interested in stealth, or if you want a shooter with a little more meaning to it, definitely purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  45. Mar 4, 2012
    Overall, a pretty decent game if you play it at least as a quasi-stealth approach.

PROS -Lots of weapons to choose from (or none at all if you want to do entirely melee takedowns). The movement and the combat is fluid enough that there is no real awkwardness in either sneaking or fighting. Augmentations do let you choose which style of play fits you better, and they are sparse enough that you actually do have to make choices about which ones you want; although if you play total stealth and get all the bonuses for not being seen, by the end of the game you will have most things. The story isn't bad, and fleshes out the back story of the first game since this takes place before it. There are a few character references and names and such that hint at things in the first game.

CONS- If you do play for stealth you basically don't use any weapons except in boss fights and that's too bad because some of them are interesting enough. The boss fights are EXTREMELY out of place in the game, especially if you go a stealth route, though they aren't too tough, especially if you carry a spare heavy weapon, and a stun gun. The last "boss fight" and really the last entire level was very anti climactic. Hacking is way too over used, there are literally 50-100 things in every area that can be hacked... and the way the augmentations are broken out to improve hacking just requires way too many points to be good at it (unless you play total stealth then you have more than enough). The chinese city was WAY too large and convoluted to navigate well, even after being there repeatedly in the game and overall spending a few hours there. The facial animations, and movement in general (at the very least for the half a dozen characters you get up close and have important conversations with) should have been a lot better, they look a bit dated and wooden. The voice acting is just... off. Maybe because the animations don't show emotion well, or maybe because the particular voices they chose just didn't work, i'm not sure. If you play with quasi-stealth and don't care about the stealth bonuses, it is not terribly difficult to kill everything and just hide when they come for you and repeat. As a straight shooting game it would be far less entertaining than trying for full stealth, and would probably be fairly easy and tedious.

Overall I actually found it a reasonable successor to the original, and certainly better than invisible war by far. This game does emphasize the stealth a little more than the original that merely offered it as an attractive choice, however you certainly don't have to play as stealth and can brute force it. The story line isn't quite as complex, but was reasonably entertaining if not partially predictable. I am usually the first to hate games that are also released on console because of them being (dumbed down) but really I don't think this game suffered from that nearly as much as people claim. Honestly any negativity from fans of the original is probably from people who haven't played the original in a while and remember it being more than it was. There was more freedom, and the story was a little better in the original, but a lot of the basic game elements and premises are still here, and this game embraces it's own kind of exploration with the cities that the original really didn't have as much except in wan chai.
  46. Sep 30, 2012
    It is very linear, skill system isn't great and constant "hacking" can after a while get a bit annoying plus fights are very repetitive in its style, yet despite that I enjoyed this game. Dialogues and plot were good and lethality was pleasantly high. Half-decent choice of weaponry plus constant ammo problems were nice addition too.

For me replayability of this game equals 0, but

For me replayability of this game equals 0, but adventure was good enough.
  47. Oct 21, 2013
    Be warned. Not anywhere near the hype. very generic shooter with "rpg" elements such as the basic crappy skill tree, barely any decision making involved, some skills are handy while others are are just "cool" or extremely situation, no builds of any kind. not to mention the "quest" system, because my idea of a good time is running around for 10-15 minutes in between dumb monotonous sideBe warned. Not anywhere near the hype. very generic shooter with "rpg" elements such as the basic crappy skill tree, barely any decision making involved, some skills are handy while others are are just "cool" or extremely situation, no builds of any kind. not to mention the "quest" system, because my idea of a good time is running around for 10-15 minutes in between dumb monotonous side quests that seem like half the quest is just figuring out how the hell i get somewhere without running into a wall or fence. this all would be ok if the action portion of the game was actually good. but it's not, with bad ragdoll physics (bodies simply go limp when shot, extremely unsatisfying gun play, don't think there was blood decals on bodies from what I recall) lack of variety of weapons, unsatisfying boss fights, and honestly pretty lackluster story. Expand
  48. Mar 16, 2013
    The gameplay is fun, graphics good, plot really good, and player-freedom is extensive. The few things that drag it down is it's HORRIBLE melee system (which can be done without), some decent boss fights, and the feeling that some missions need particular character upgrades to beat. Otherwise, fun game.
  49. Mar 24, 2013
    The soundtrack is truly awesome. Adam Jensen is a pretty awesome and like-able character. The ending is so-so, but I'm still giving the game a 10 because the story is great otherwise and it's one of the best PC games I've ever played.
  50. Oct 21, 2013
    Although it doesn't quite match the lofty excellence of the original Deus Ex, it's a much better game than Invisible War

Pros:
    Beautifully realized world, Impressive range of choices for player style, Interesting storyline, Excellent presentation
    Cons:
    Simplistic and sometimes buggy AI, Horrible boss fights, Not as open as the original
  51. May 23, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is very nice, beautiful and atmospheric game with a memorable soundtrack, vaguely reminiscent of the music from the film "Inception". However, this is not a revolution. It is no conceptual or gameplay discoveries. But the fact that there are so fine-tailored tailored that even do not want to find fault. Sitting at the game, you will not regret for one minute spentDeus Ex: Human Revolution is very nice, beautiful and atmospheric game with a memorable soundtrack, vaguely reminiscent of the music from the film "Inception". However, this is not a revolution. It is no conceptual or gameplay discoveries. But the fact that there are so fine-tailored tailored that even do not want to find fault. Sitting at the game, you will not regret for one minute spent in a dark 2027th, when people first got scared of what will become machines. Expand
  52. Nov 13, 2013
    One of the best game of last years. Perfect on everything: story, gameplay, graphic and music. The rpg mode is very accurate and have waste of choice u can get for your ability, funny becouse that choice of abilities determinate your story and how u move forward on the game, if u like be more stealth u choice invisibility and hacker, if u like be more aggressive you can improve armor,One of the best game of last years. Perfect on everything: story, gameplay, graphic and music. The rpg mode is very accurate and have waste of choice u can get for your ability, funny becouse that choice of abilities determinate your story and how u move forward on the game, if u like be more stealth u choice invisibility and hacker, if u like be more aggressive you can improve armor, combat and health to kick everybodys ass, one of the best single player i play in my life and it's sin that the game haven't the multiplayer mode, can be very interesting. Expand
  53. Mar 20, 2017
    Deus EX is my favorite game. Fantastic writing and gameplay.

Pros

+ Storytelling

+ world

Cons

- Dialogue wheel, I prefer to see texts in sentences to select.

- Inventory management for item combination is terrible.
  54. Aug 25, 2016
    dx1 was and still is one of the best games i have ever played and was replayed by me over 5 times...amazing game

how anyone can compare this game positively to dx1 is amazing to me....i was so bored by this game i couldn't even make it to the 3rd level...after 2 attempts a year apart..boring story generic combat BORING PLOT, i was anything but impressed with this game...system shock 2..dx1...those were GREAT games...go back and play them again if you need to be reminded of what made them so good
  55. Jun 1, 2016
    ttyvgvyvgtgytgtugttggtyggutgtrtdrtctryffrftrftftfrrfrfrfrrffrfkskskdidkdododdodododoeeedodokdodkddkkeododoeoeododododododododoeoeoeodoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeo
  56. Sep 4, 2011
    I was always a fan and really enjoyed this game till i got to the first boss battle when no matter what i hit em with he doesn't go down. I feal like ive been robbed. spend all the money for a game that cant be done. extremely disappointed. the trailor made him look like a serious badass yet he cant fight his way out of a paper bag.
  57. Sep 16, 2011
    If you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easyIf you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easy to run and hide without having the enemy chase you).

However as you progress further and further the story and missions tend to make up for a lot of the easy combat. This game is NOT a perfect 10 and although some of the negative reviews have valid points this game doesn't deserve a negative score either. I think a lot of people got so hyped up at seeing the trailers that they might have been expecting a little too much out of this game..
  58. Mar 28, 2013
    I really like this game, I just cant enjoy it because the developer will not fix the poor mouse support. The mouse aiming seems to not want to respond immediately. It takes about 8 seconds for it to respond when using a controller mouse. That's bad.
  59. Oct 17, 2011
    Short review:
    Short review:
    Pros:
    - The player's choices affect the how the story line is approached. Sure, the "main" storyline's not changed by your choices, but how you persuade people and make them do what you want gives you the ability to experience many things in a different way. For example, for the last boss battle, you need to persuade someone to make the boss battle easier. The more time you spend exploring the little vents and secret places, the more you will experience from the story and perhaps it will help you.
    - Your augmentations or "skill tree" helps your style of playing in many ways. There are times when you regret for not picking a certain augmentation and there are times when you go "damn good thing I picked up that augmentation", because not all of the augmentations get unlocked at the end of the game.
    - The usefulness of everything, from minor to major stuffs. From picking up a "note" and getting a password, to upgrading your hacking skills, nothing gets left behind at the trash can. Truly marvelous.
    - The combat system for certain battles. Yes, most of them are just cover and shoot, but this can be accomplished in many ways, either by buying upgrades and augmentations or by hacking things to reverse-engineer robots. Really damn fun and exhilarating
    - Minigames. They are lovely. Never repetitive enough to bore me.
    - The story. Oh my God, the story's really damn amazing. It is like the most dramatic storyline I've ever seen in an FPS.
    - Persuasion system. The persuasion system is the best thing about the game. Analyzing the situation you're dealing with and persuading someone to help you, best stuff ever. Various stuffs you must understand and keep a lookout for to make sure you win the persuasion.
    - Sounds are awesome, enough said.
    - The HUDs, well, they're damn WELL-DESIGNED, on par with Crysis's

Cons:
    - As many have said before, the characters' facial expressions are too "stiff" and repetitive, like a robot. Nevertheless, their body gestures are variable and observing them helps us a lot. - The graphics by most are "above average" and gets a raw metascore of 7. If you're looking for the "best" graphics, then you're better off buying another game. However, due to the "polished" nature of the game, the supposed above-average graphics turn into a really good graphic experience. You know who to shoot and who's a civilian.
    - No open roaming of the game when it's all over. Doesn't really bother me, but I think it's disappointing to know that there's no free-roaming when it's all over.
  60. Jan 8, 2013
    I'm going to start off saying that this game is for mature players. Not in the fact that there is blood and gore, but the fact that this game explores human morality; something few games like to touch on.

I'll start off with the bad first. The game demands A LOT from your computer, performance wise, only to give you mediocre graphics. The controls for the game were not very well mapped and there were also some redundant features. That being said, the reason why I gave such a high rating was due to how well the story and side stories were told. Deus Ex offers so much in depth content about the people, the environment and the technology. I also have to say that the story was very well paced and it didn't really have many dry spots. The open endedness of the game gives the player much more freedom (ie. there are multiple ways to complete parts of the story).

So, if you are still debating on buying the game, especially two years after its release, get it. It only costs $20.00 on steam.
  61. JLF
    Aug 26, 2011
    DE:HR did not live up to the hype. And let's face it, the game's marketing was off the charts. The console casuals had all the "press a button for awesome" to look forward to and the PC gamers were promised a true sequel to the original Deus Ex. Still, it's relatively well made and better than most games this year (I'm looking at you Bioware). The PC version felt pretty native, even withDE:HR did not live up to the hype. And let's face it, the game's marketing was off the charts. The console casuals had all the "press a button for awesome" to look forward to and the PC gamers were promised a true sequel to the original Deus Ex. Still, it's relatively well made and better than most games this year (I'm looking at you Bioware). The PC version felt pretty native, even with it being a console port. What saddens me most is that they had to cut out an entire city hub to meet the deadlines. I swear, my first Deus ex playthrough was twice longer than this. It was fairly obvious they couldn't hire any decent voice actors either, but that's not a major issue.
    I'm giving it 5 for "average", as in "good, but there is room for improvement".
  62. Sep 5, 2011
    I was worried. Truly I was. Original Deus Ex was a revolutionary game that have created a new genre. Non linear gameplay and your choices will truly show themselves later in game. I thought this cannot be better (especially with Invisible Wars debacle) but the guys from Canada have outdone themselves. While this game keeps the standards of original title it also ads a few more. Many mayI was worried. Truly I was. Original Deus Ex was a revolutionary game that have created a new genre. Non linear gameplay and your choices will truly show themselves later in game. I thought this cannot be better (especially with Invisible Wars debacle) but the guys from Canada have outdone themselves. While this game keeps the standards of original title it also ads a few more. Many may say that the graphics are outdated, but I have to say that this game has a style, a style that will take your breath once you are outside Sarif Industries in Detroit or in Shanghai. The gold style of this game is amusing. Since Deus Ex already had the "multiple paths" option, this game leads it to perfection. You can choose if you go unnoticed or go rambo stlye and kill everything that moves. Do not like talking? Ok then do not persuade people to let you in but shoot yourself through. This game offers so many options of gameplay that you might think at some point: what genre is this? To be precise, it is stealth-action-drama-fps-rpg with a lot of choices. This game is genre defining title and it is so immersive that you do not know how and the 25 to 30 hours you spent in the game are long gone. And yet you replay because the second walkthrough, with different choices is a different game :). GOTY Candidate baby! Expand
  63. Aug 31, 2011
    The game it's awesome good story probably the best SE work in the past 5 years i was scared about another failure like dragon age 2 or "sigh" another FF where the name of the game was all the fun but this game is intense good and exciting
  64. Aug 31, 2011
    Just finished it last night (on Deus Ex mode of course) - simply put this is the best story-led RPG(ish) game I've played for literally years... easily beating The Witcher 2 and DA2 (though they're both fantasy genre of course) - if you were a fan of the original (and who wasn't?), buy Human Revolution. The storyline is great, the graphics lovely, the hacking mini-game is veryJust finished it last night (on Deus Ex mode of course) - simply put this is the best story-led RPG(ish) game I've played for literally years... easily beating The Witcher 2 and DA2 (though they're both fantasy genre of course) - if you were a fan of the original (and who wasn't?), buy Human Revolution. The storyline is great, the graphics lovely, the hacking mini-game is very Shadowrun/Cyberpunk and while a little repetitive as you do a LOT of hacking (well I did, YMMV) it's probably the best implementation I've seen in a PC game yet - it is, in short a worthy successor to Deus Ex.

There are only 2 minor niggles I had with the game. Firstly, I've been playing a lot of Brink and InFamous recently and not being able to do something simple like jump up and grab onto a ledge to pull yourself up seems really retrograde, you've got cyber-arms for fricks sake, you should be able to pull yourself up walls if needs be - this can be largely offset with leg and back enhancements but still (the Icarus Landing System is _very_ InFamous).

The other is boss fights... *sighs* again. The Witcher 2 did them worse but not by much - once again it's a matter of drop you into an inescapable room and fight it out. The short, simple and quick solution is lob an EMP grenade at the bad guy which will stun them, then empty a clip of combat rifle ammo, frag grenade (which stuns them again) another clip and another frag grenade... they're a bit rubbish; just make sure you've got plenty of grenades and all 3 "standard" boss fights are little more than a short, tedious distraction from the game. I didn't mind the end-of-game boss though; *shrugs* it was alright - no Crying Wolf from MGS4 but alright.

So that's it, maybe 30 minutes of minor niggles in over 50 hours of gameplay (I like to explore) with a storyline that'll suck you in like a really good book - I'd give it a 95 which means it's closer to a 10 than a 9 anyway.
  65. Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is there a game category "Least Disappointing Game of the Year?" If so, I nominate DX:HR, as some know it. Steam says I have more than 80 hours of gameplay in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and my impressions have firmed-up. It seems the developers took lessons from many of my favorite games and movies and incorporated them into one immersive, exciting, respectful and fun experience. I hoped for something good, and got something unexpected.

But that is often the key, isn't it? It is a game of expectations, this larger game of enjoyment. I am a PC gamer who ranks the original Deus Ex as possibly the best game I have ever played. Hype and glossy CGI trailers do not excite me, though I do consume them sometimes ravenously. These days, all games would be disappointing if we required that they live up to all their hype.

Still, I have been disappointed in many games of late, most notably sequels like "The Witcher 2." I could sum up my disappointment by saying it is hard to understand why sequels move so far from the original formula which brought them so much success.

One of the first things you will notice, as the game gets underway, is the Tutorial System. They have come up with a system that is not intrusive, but at the same time is very helpful. When you enter an area where a new skill is introduced a message appears in the upper right saying you should Press Tab to get tutorial help with that topic. When you enter the fray the message disappears.

When you get out on the street you will notice how natural the by-standers seem. Talking on cell phones, smoking cigarettes, saying things real people say. A lot of motion capture and good animation went into this thing. The immersion deepens.

If you are an old fan like me, you may notice things like the voice of Bob Page, the entry code for the CommVan outside UNATCO, or you may recognize the tune someone is whistling on the street. It is icing on the cake of respect they have served up for those who loved the original.

The combat system works, lag is minimal, and you don't feel like you are struggling with the controls constantly. It switches fluidly from first person to third person automatically so you can appreciate your silent take-down or mass destruction.

I require a top-notch story, and I was not disappointed. It seemed like there were usually several ways to solve problems: hacking, leaping across rooftops, crawling through ducts and sewers, tranquilizer darts or sniper rifles.

Somewhere toward the end I realized all the threads were not going to be tied up. How did I not see this coming? The story was complete unto itself, and we may never see Adam Jensen again, but it seems designed for one or more sequels of its own. Just tell me where to pre-order!
  66. Aug 29, 2011
    It is a very nice and atmospheric game. A lot of detail and depth and it makes you feel like you are there. This is extremely rare in today's 6 hours flashy retarded for 8 year olds simple soo called games. Definitely for people with an attention span lasting longer then 5 seconds. This is not a mindless shooter. This is a Thief / System Shock hybrid living up to those great titles.
  67. Aug 29, 2011
    The original Deus ex is my favorite game of all time. As such, I was going into this with a lot of bias - a lot of it being negative, since Warren Spector was not involved in this project. The bottom line, however, is that HR passes with flying colours - it does have a different feel, but Eidos Montreal clearly loved the original, and as such, have paid a lot of respects to it - that, andThe original Deus ex is my favorite game of all time. As such, I was going into this with a lot of bias - a lot of it being negative, since Warren Spector was not involved in this project. The bottom line, however, is that HR passes with flying colours - it does have a different feel, but Eidos Montreal clearly loved the original, and as such, have paid a lot of respects to it - that, and they learnt a lot from the original too.

The storyline is much in the same vein as the original, but is it's own beast... I think it does well. This is helped by a very richly detailed and immersive world, which really does live up to the pedigree of the original game. It is extremely linear, but such is Deus Ex, and I have absolutely no complaints - to me, it is blasphemy to see some people complain about a "lack of sandbox" here - it is not that kind of game.

Graphics are not as good as I was expecting, however. There're areas where things are a bit lax (some textures, for example) and animation can be annoying and twitchy. In spite of this, the game has a wonderfully unique black & gold aesthetic, which enhances immersion even more! Music is very much ambient, but it works. The gameplay is good, and much the same as the original. I liked how upgrades worked in the original more, but the (purely) augmentation-based system here works just as well, I suppose. A heavier emphasis on hacking is alright, but I'm sad to lockpicks and multitools go - still ,these are the nitpickings of a crazed fan. :) Otherwise, you really are able to pass through levels in your own way, although certain paths will always require more patience! The game does very well in rewarding such exploration, and I think one of the greatest things about this game is that it's a world you'll *want* to explore.

I've given it 8 and not 10 because of some annoying technical issues... I have not had any issue with load times, but I have experienced lots of crashes running Dx11 mode... annoying. The game is buggy as hell, but I'm sure these will be ironed out in time.

Ultimately, this is a wonderful game which I am enjoying thoroughly. Like the original, it is not for everyone... and like the original, it may take a tiny bit of a patience to get to the good stuff, but all the same, this is a game deserving of the "deus ex" title. Coming from me, that says a lot.
  68. Sep 5, 2011
    A worthy successor to the first Deus Ex. I've played a lot of RPG games, but never actually "cared" so much about the story line and characters as I did in Deus Ex. Gameplay moves very smoothly, AI is pretty good, and overall its very entertaininig. Probably the only small problems Id say are that in terms of Upgrade Paths, some of the bosses can be disproportionately challenging if youA worthy successor to the first Deus Ex. I've played a lot of RPG games, but never actually "cared" so much about the story line and characters as I did in Deus Ex. Gameplay moves very smoothly, AI is pretty good, and overall its very entertaininig. Probably the only small problems Id say are that in terms of Upgrade Paths, some of the bosses can be disproportionately challenging if you have gone more stealthy, and I found that there were pretty much a core set of needed upgrades, and the rest were kind of fluff. That aside, this is still by far the best game I've played in a long time. Highly recommend it. Expand
  69. Sep 12, 2011
    This game is alot of fun, the story is compelling, the combat exiting and the graphics are quite beatifull most of the time. One of the few games of late that actually lived up to my expectations.
  70. Sep 20, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games of the 21 century, really! I havent been so involved into a gameplay and the story of the game since Ive played Metal Gear Solid on my Playstation 1. This game is trully an epic shooter with dozens of elements to chose from. Everyone will find something for himself! If you like games with an awesome story and beutiful art - this game is a MUST HAVE!This is one of the greatest games of the 21 century, really! I havent been so involved into a gameplay and the story of the game since Ive played Metal Gear Solid on my Playstation 1. This game is trully an epic shooter with dozens of elements to chose from. Everyone will find something for himself! If you like games with an awesome story and beutiful art - this game is a MUST HAVE! Incredible, Fascinating, Mind Blowing, you will remember the game like you rememeber one of your favourite movies. I recommend it to all "Game" fans no matter what genre games you play! MUS HAVE! Expand
  71. Oct 14, 2011
    Excellent shooter and espionage game, very addictive. A good story, well thought out. It's a game that needs concentration. It is interesting, brilliant.
  72. Mar 23, 2012
    Just loved it! Dense story, GREAT music, loved the stealth action. Really really liked it. The lipsynching wasn't too good but the voices itself were. And naa well, i don't care about the lipsynch. Play it!!
  73. May 26, 2012
    Piece of true art.. For me, game of the year and one of the best games I've ever played. When I saw everyone **** about the first cinematic trailer I thought "Deus Ex? Never heard of it, must be a crap", then, after few days, when I was extremely bored I saw it and I was never, ever more hyped for any kind of game or film or anything. I insta-pre ordered the game and I wasn't disappointedPiece of true art.. For me, game of the year and one of the best games I've ever played. When I saw everyone **** about the first cinematic trailer I thought "Deus Ex? Never heard of it, must be a crap", then, after few days, when I was extremely bored I saw it and I was never, ever more hyped for any kind of game or film or anything. I insta-pre ordered the game and I wasn't disappointed when I played it for the first time. The atmosphere and style is just AMAZING and I mean it, it's something you don't see in any games. The game itself is challenging and kinda hard, which makes this game even more satisfying (I'm always raging when I have to restart from checkpoint for the fifth time, but not in this game). There are always multiple ways to complete the mission which makes it completely non-linear and more fun, even when it's your 2nd or 3rd playthrough. Actually, the only thing I didn't like were the small locations, I hoped to see much bigger cities, just like in the first trailer. The graphics were also not the best, but it wasn't bad either - however it haven't got my very attention while I was playing because the gameplay itself is really good and satisfying. I hope Square Enix will show the sequel on the next E3 or gamescom, it would be my no.1 for the next year. Expand
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    Spent 27 hours on this game - that including most side missions done. The story is exciting and takes many surprising turns, and overall the gameplay is also very impressive and smooth. However some of the boss battles were a bit frustrating compared to the rest of the game, although they obviously only play a minor role compared to the rest of the game. Otherwise the game is verySpent 27 hours on this game - that including most side missions done. The story is exciting and takes many surprising turns, and overall the gameplay is also very impressive and smooth. However some of the boss battles were a bit frustrating compared to the rest of the game, although they obviously only play a minor role compared to the rest of the game. Otherwise the game is very "pre-determined", in that it's not open world or anything. You sometimes get a few choices, but in the end, there seems to be only a hand full of outcomes.
    All in all the game is great and definitely worth it.
  75. Mar 12, 2012
    Not living up to the hype. The graphics are bland and subpar for a 2011 AAA title with really ugly textures, the cover controls feel awkward to use, voice acting is below average. Character animations are really bad and repetitive and make the characters unbelievable. The game also suffers from poor AI. When you are detected, enemies start yelling "Hey! Where are you?" for a while and thenNot living up to the hype. The graphics are bland and subpar for a 2011 AAA title with really ugly textures, the cover controls feel awkward to use, voice acting is below average. Character animations are really bad and repetitive and make the characters unbelievable. The game also suffers from poor AI. When you are detected, enemies start yelling "Hey! Where are you?" for a while and then just walk away as if nothing ever happened. Just after reading the tutorials on combat and stealth - being advised to move dead bodies to a place where they cannot be seen, or else - I shot a guy from a distance, then 4 others ran toward him, hunching over his body, just queueing up for me to shoot them in the back. They didn't do anything when one of their allies dropped to the floor right beside them. Expand
  76. Oct 18, 2012
    Having looked at the ridiculous, perfect 10 scores the Eidos and Square employees have been giving this rather mediocre game, I've decided to try and balance out the bias a bit (by awarding a nice fat zero to this console abomination)...
  77. Apr 27, 2013
    A fantastic game, despite its meh graphics it still has nice environments, challenging combat, lenghty 25+ hours)and also a great storyline. Highly recommend it to players that like ARPG's and Stealth games
  78. Jul 22, 2013
    I want to get this review as short as possible, so to make it short. If you like Stealth games then you have nothing to worry about. This is one of the best in the genre, atleast that I've played, and it really reminds me of the good old times with the Thief Series, and later on with the Dishonored game.

The highlights of this game is the voice acting. The open environment. The great AI and stealth mechanics. And finally a thrilling story. You have nothing to lose.

However, the game could've been slightly slightly better, by fixing some of the few bugs and making the phase from third to first person better and less solid, for example.

But as said. Compared with the good parts about this game, the bad parts are way dont below the floor. I'd give this game 9.5 if I could, but it's not worth the top score, atleast not with this sequel!
  79. Nov 6, 2015
    The characters look like ass
    The weapons have really unnatural movements during firing
    The pre-animated cutscene is absolutely cancer Mandatory boss FIGHTs are counter to the philosophy of Deus Ex - Player Freedom Diverse customization options Freedom to complete missions Compelling plot and philosophical presentation Like Yahtzee said, this is an action game with RPG elements,
    The characters look like ass
    The weapons have really unnatural movements during firing
    The pre-animated cutscene is absolutely cancer
    Mandatory boss FIGHTs are counter to the philosophy of Deus Ex - Player Freedom

Diverse customization options
    Freedom to complete missions
    Compelling plot and philosophical presentation

Like Yahtzee said, this is an action game with RPG elements, but it is a competent RPG, and the action part is not too shabby as well. Could've been better here and there, but also could've been far far worse. Looking forward to Mankind Divided.
  80. Nov 27, 2013
    In Deus Ex Human Revolution you play as Adam Jensen, and must uncover the truth behind conspiracies and twists in a future Detroit. This future is not only beautiful, but also rich and interesting, and as the plot progresses you will become more and more involved with the game. There are many missions available to the player (some that are required to advance in the story, others that areIn Deus Ex Human Revolution you play as Adam Jensen, and must uncover the truth behind conspiracies and twists in a future Detroit. This future is not only beautiful, but also rich and interesting, and as the plot progresses you will become more and more involved with the game. There are many missions available to the player (some that are required to advance in the story, others that are entirely optional), and the game gives you a lot of freedom on how to decide to finish them. You can talk to the right people and manipulate them to make everything easier, go straight to the point by engaging enemies in combat, silently take them out one by one, or evade them completely. To help make things a little easier, there are many different upgrades available for you and your weapons, and you'll want them. As you advance through the game, you'll not only face more difficult missions with increasingly numbers of stronger enemies, but also boss battles. These boss battles can be frustrating, and they feel terribly out of place. Unlike the rest of the game, there is no freedom here. All you can do is grab the best weapons you've got, shoot, and run.

Overall, this is a great, memorable game, and no boss battle can change that.

Good Points: Variety, beautiful game world, great characters
    Bad Points: Boss battles
  81. Jun 11, 2016
    One of the best games ever! perfect story perfect gameplay and the graphics are good.The only bad things are the forced boss fights.But you can easily beat them using the enviroment or shooting them at the head.
  82. Mar 14, 2015
    I was really tense to play this game. In the beginning, you feel like it is really good! It seems to have a great story, the game play is a lot of fun and the dialogues are maybe not so good as in Mass Effect, but still feel fine. After a while, the game starts to feel quite repetive however. Its ok for the money I bought it, but I would not like to pay the full price for it.
  83. Aug 23, 2016
    Great game. It follows the story of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I liked Human Revolution and this game really developes the story in a great manner.

Furthermore Deus Ex is a great Cyberpunk universe, with a "Dark reality".

And this reality could really become ours one day!
  84. Oct 19, 2011
    A solid game, but something was lacking overall to make this great. The good: The augmentation variety was awesome and fun to play with, the gaming style (Stealth or Guns Blazing) was refreshing, the side quests added to the game in a good way, the graphics and environmental dark and gold tone were awesome, the character dialog was well written, and the weapon variety and upgrading wasA solid game, but something was lacking overall to make this great. The good: The augmentation variety was awesome and fun to play with, the gaming style (Stealth or Guns Blazing) was refreshing, the side quests added to the game in a good way, the graphics and environmental dark and gold tone were awesome, the character dialog was well written, and the weapon variety and upgrading was satisfying. The bad: the story was lacking a little and could have been more captivating by showing and setting up new levels or important situations, there were quite a few loose ends in the story that were never fully explained which was disappointing, the voice acting didn't sync very well with the character's facial animation (almost a travesty sometimes), the connection between the characters was fairly dull and forced (besides Sarif and Jensen), and some of the graphic textures and sky overlays were not good for a DX11 game. Would I buy this game again? Probably, but timing and the release date is everything nowadays. Expand
  85. Aug 29, 2011
    This is one of these games you play to see the story. Not just mindless shooting like COD or BF.
    You make choices in a game to influence the story and that makes it way more interesting (just like ME).
    The atmosphere you were in was brilliantly made and was perfect for the story. Graphical it all looked very good but sometimes the lip-sync was off (this **** can happen so no worries).
    The atmosphere you were in was brilliantly made and was perfect for the story.
    Although i found this game very good i encountered a lot of frustrating bugs. One of them were game loading crashes.
  86. Aug 26, 2011
    A breath of fresh air in the stagnant abyss that is the majority of multiplatform gaming these days. True to the excellent original whilst maintaining it own identity, This will be one of the games of the year.
  87. Aug 25, 2011
    I couldn't play past the first hour.

-You can't scope aim unless you're up against a crate, even if its more advantageous to be out in the open. -Blind fire almost never hit the target. Even when in fairly close range -The tranq dart didn't even have a reticle when aiming (at least it didn't for me on the PC version) making it damn near useless. How the hell do I hit the enemy?? -Enemy
    I couldn't play past the first hour.

-Blind fire almost never hit the target. Even when in fairly close range
    -Enemy handguns never had more than a single bullet in them
    -Melee takedowns require battery and if you don't have enough charge, it will deny you the right to use them even if you are a second from death.
    -You can't take more than a few hits before you get the raspberry blood screen and have to go back through the loading screen. A challenge is a challenge but this combined with all of the above is infuriating.

As someone who tries to play stealthy but just can't, I got into a lot of gunfights.
    The combat is so unbelievably bad, crippling you and your ability to dispose of bad guys.
    Nothing could drag me back to play this again.
    I hear the story is pretty good though.
  88. Aug 24, 2011
    I'll keep this pretty brief because others here have already described Deus Ex: Human Revolution a lot better than I can....

This is the best game I've played this year. I'm giving it a 10 not because it's perfect (no game is 'perfect') but because it represents the ceiling in modern gaming -- this is what other video games should aspire to be in 2011. Human Revolution allows and encourages player experimentation and freedom. There is no 'right' way to play it, be it good, evil, stealthy, talky, actiony, or any combination thereof. The level design is freeform and there is always more than route to your objectives. The dialogue writing is solid, and the plot is compelling. The augmentation system is fantastic, and if you choose intelligently you can make Adam Jensen whatever kind of superhuman you want him to be. Minor quibbles include some spotty voice acting and stiff animations, but neither detracts from the fact that this a strong game of the year contender. I recommend this to just about anyone who likes video games. There's something in it for everybody.
  89. Aug 26, 2011
    Sat there and sat there and sat there, wondering if I should really buy this game, and believe me I know $49.99...ugh I don't want to pay that, but trust me, this is an absolute masterpiece. The graphics are incredible, so much so, that the in game graphics are even better than most cut-scenes in the game, and the cut-scenes are beautiful. The game mechanics are practically flawless, theSat there and sat there and sat there, wondering if I should really buy this game, and believe me I know $49.99...ugh I don't want to pay that, but trust me, this is an absolute masterpiece. The graphics are incredible, so much so, that the in game graphics are even better than most cut-scenes in the game, and the cut-scenes are beautiful. The game mechanics are practically flawless, the game does an excellent job at allowing you to choose your own course of action, stealth, assault, mix, you name it. I, being a Splinter Cell lover, prefer the stealth approach, and trust me the mechanics of this game bring nostalgia of playing the old Splinter Cell games, a feeling that no game to date has even come close to filling. And to top it off, the storyline and overall immersion the game makes you feel is top notch, far superior than most movies. It's an art, buy it. Expand
  90. Apr 10, 2012
    To be quite honest, I bought this game because it was on sale, having no real hopes of it being anything more than a 10 hour distraction . Well, my first play through ran 25 hours and I'm debating if I want to dive in again because the game is just that engrossing.

Graphically, there isn't much to brag on here. HR does suffer from consolization, but the overall look and feel of the game is excellent. The atmosphere of all the game locations is interesting and compelling enough to make you want to snoop around to try and find all the different things hidden.

Sound is done well, if not slightly repetitive. The soundtrack itself is good, but again, not stellar. Voice acting is done particularly well and helps drive the narrative along. Interaction with side quest NPCs made me want to go do their tasks instead of just seeing them as XP dispensers.

Combat was much more in depth than I thought it would be - the cover system takes a little getting used to and a long time to completely master, but the options are vast. You can roll through killing everything and everyone or you can go secret squirrel style and avoid gun fights if you want. The game has a way of rewarding your choices for achieving difficult tasks, which led me to replay some scenarios to see how I could do it differently.

The RPG Skill Tree is adequate - depending on how you play the game, you can end up with many different abilities. I was slightly disappointed that you can basically max everything out if you are really trying, but completionists can have a field day with it.

I'd give this a 9.5 if I could, it just lacks a little graphical wow and polish, but this is an excellent buy and something you can really put your teeth into. Highly recommended.
  91. Sep 3, 2011
    There will always be people who can't see past the "not so great" elements of a game, and let's face it, there are no games that have no "not so great" elements. This game is not a FPS and there will definitely be people who don't "get it", I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a personal preference. For me, I was a big fan of the 1st Deus Ex, I still rate it as my fav game ever (andThere will always be people who can't see past the "not so great" elements of a game, and let's face it, there are no games that have no "not so great" elements. This game is not a FPS and there will definitely be people who don't "get it", I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a personal preference. For me, I was a big fan of the 1st Deus Ex, I still rate it as my fav game ever (and it's not like that game didn't have some bugs and shoddy animations), this game is a worth successor, it just clicked for me, there is more then enough good and occasional excellent elements for the little bugs and the not so great animations to not matter. Expand
  92. Aug 30, 2011
    This game has a lot to live up to... and sadly, just like 'Deus Ex - Invisible War', it fails. At least Invisible war had Deus Ex creator, Warren Spector onboard and shared many similarities with the original. With this release, Eidos have completely redone Deus ex and taken very little (apart from a few key role play elements) from the original title. I get the distinct feeling thatThis game has a lot to live up to... and sadly, just like 'Deus Ex - Invisible War', it fails. At least Invisible war had Deus Ex creator, Warren Spector onboard and shared many similarities with the original. With this release, Eidos have completely redone Deus ex and taken very little (apart from a few key role play elements) from the original title. I get the distinct feeling that the small similarities were done for the sake of novelty. I have to say that this game has a very distinct feel to it, very different from anything else I've ever played. This is one area where I feel that Eidos deserve some praise. The level designs and their respective aesthetics are not exactly consistent with the Deus Ex franchise, but are nice. Unfortunately, Human Revolution is let down by the story, which feels watered down and all over the place. In fact, from a narrative perspective, it is an utter mess. I did not empathise with ANY of the parties involved and was left feeling that the whole game was soulless. The story was nothing short of trivial, stupid and unfulfilling, leaving many flimsy or entirely loose ends in its wake. If I was a developer, I would have thrown the script where it belongs - the trash. Expand
  93. Aug 23, 2011
    I strongly recommend the game, because of the great atmosphere, story and interactive choices. I also enjoyed the dialogue, combat abilities and the music. Overall, it's just plain fun.

However, there are a few points which I dislike. For instance, the textures and facial structure of many characters seem inelegant. Secondly, the spray from the guns is uneasy and somewhat annoying. My biggest complaint has to be the controls for the cover system. It is poorly optimized (or so it seems) and a tad nettlesome.
  94. Aug 29, 2011
    As close as you can get to matching the original which Eidos and Ion Storm threw at us in 2000. Classic one-liners, freedom of choice gameplay, beautiful visuals, incredible story and character development, and a vision of the year 2027 that brings to me an endless list of anticipations. If you are a fan of the masterpiece Deus Ex, then you will have no problems with the third installmentAs close as you can get to matching the original which Eidos and Ion Storm threw at us in 2000. Classic one-liners, freedom of choice gameplay, beautiful visuals, incredible story and character development, and a vision of the year 2027 that brings to me an endless list of anticipations. If you are a fan of the masterpiece Deus Ex, then you will have no problems with the third installment in the series and my personal candidate for Game of the Year- Deus Ex Human Revolution. Expand
  95. Sep 2, 2011
    Like others have said 'captures the original almost perfectly' Were it falls short of the original it makes up for it with well incorporated additions.
    To those writing bad reviews, that's fine, you dont like it; but 'Bad Game?' just look at the positive reviews from newcomers and die hard Deus Ex fans across the net. Perhaps you should ask yourselves 'do I have bad taste?' The game definitely has its flaws (FMVs in particular) but, like the original, most newcomers will rarely appreciate the depth of Deus Ex until they have persisted with it.
  96. Jan 31, 2012
    As someone who is very attracted to infiltration games, wherein players can choose how to approach given situations--either by storm or stealth--"Deus Ex Human Revolution" did not disappoint me. The added bonus is that it also has mystery and conspiracy, which I also have a deep appreciation for.

Note that I never played either the original "Deus Ex" or "Invisible War", so my opinion is not informed by any past experience with the prequels; and this is not a review or an expose on the features of the game, but a surface-level stream-of-consciousness jotting of a quick thought with the intention of merely scoring it.

I hated on it at first. It really took a while for me to warm up to the game as I thought it was pretty dull in the beginning, but by the time I got to Hengsha, I started to really enjoy "Human Revolution". This at a time in my life where even games I used to enjoy seem stale to me and I've all but stopped playing games. So I think that says something for the appeal of the game. I have yet to finish as I take month-long breaks, but every time I play, I never feel disappointed. The infiltration aspect is par excellence--Up there with the MGS and SC games and the challenge is worthwhile. The environments, although over-abundantly 'gold', still possess quite a bit of atmosphere. And the story can be very engrossing at times.

What I didn't care for at all were the boss battles. I suppose some of the inspiration for them may have come from the MGS series, but they were nowhere near as fitting or engaging. They just seemed like clumsy add-ons to a game that would have been fine other wise. What's really disappointing about them however is that in a throw-down between two seriously OP transhumans, you would think the fights would be as epic as something out of a high-octane anime. But alas, they were little more than predictable shootouts.

O well. Overall, the seratonin in my brain was much healthier playing "HR" than it has been playing games of late, so the devs done something right.

Play it.
  97. Aug 23, 2011
    When I began playing this game I had my doubts being such a big fan of the original. Now, 5 hours into the game I have been able to dig deep into the core and see what play "Human Revolution" is truly like, and it is good. I feel like they captured the original perfectly. From the moment you begin playing HR you realize this REALLY is the new Deus Ex, not some cheap knock of made to makeWhen I began playing this game I had my doubts being such a big fan of the original. Now, 5 hours into the game I have been able to dig deep into the core and see what play "Human Revolution" is truly like, and it is good. I feel like they captured the original perfectly. From the moment you begin playing HR you realize this REALLY is the new Deus Ex, not some cheap knock of made to make money. The cover system really enhanced the way I was able to go through levels. The tiny details made me feel like I was not only killing and knocking out bad guys, but actually uncovering secrets I wasn't supposed to know. If you are a fan of the original or FPS games in general, I *highly* recommend this game.

You might ask if this game actually deserves a perfect score. The reason I gave it one is because it does everything a game should, immerses you into a world and allows you to connect with the characters. The action is unyielding and exciting, while the story is better then most movies. This game deserves the 10 I gave it because it delivered on the promise of giving me a new game in the series just as good as the original.
  98. Sep 1, 2011
    This is a fantastic game that almost lives up to the standard set by the original. Anyone who finds the gameplay boring is obviously doing something wrong, because the player maintains complete control over how they play. Although some of the minor characters have stiff models and voices, the game as a whole is quite pretty both visually and audio-wise. Looking at some of the other reviewsThis is a fantastic game that almost lives up to the standard set by the original. Anyone who finds the gameplay boring is obviously doing something wrong, because the player maintains complete control over how they play. Although some of the minor characters have stiff models and voices, the game as a whole is quite pretty both visually and audio-wise. Looking at some of the other reviews here, you have to keep in mind that the game has several endings depending on choices made by the player, and although the players choices aren't as important as they were in the original, they do still affect the plot in a more realistic manner than even Mass Effect. Fantastic game. Buy it. Expand
  99. Aug 29, 2011
    Let me sum this up in a sentence. The game is OK. Do I think it was one of those titles that you immediately go out and buy and give in to the hype? No. This is a game you wait a year to go on sale on steam for like 20 or 30 bucks. When the game first starts off its pretty engaging and you start getting into it a little, thinking "Wow this is gonna be awesome.' The storyline and cutscenesLet me sum this up in a sentence. The game is OK. Do I think it was one of those titles that you immediately go out and buy and give in to the hype? No. This is a game you wait a year to go on sale on steam for like 20 or 30 bucks. When the game first starts off its pretty engaging and you start getting into it a little, thinking "Wow this is gonna be awesome.' The storyline and cutscenes are interesting and easy to follow. The soundtrack is by far one of my favorite things in the game, the music fits the world of Deus-Ex perfectly and it sounds great. But come to find out the bottom line is its just another cookie cutter stealth game tailored to the console market. Graphics, while still pleasing, are pretty dated (which just further backs up the fact that it is a console game). But graphics are not why I bought this game. Having played the first one years ago I expected a lot of the RPG/FPS hybrid elements from that game to have been revived or have evolved in this game. Sadly the character development is very disappointing. It is missing a lot of the RPG elements that made the first one so great. The storyline is OK but isnt enough to make up for the dumbing down of the character development. The game progresses nicely, however it feels too linear, and the environments are wayyyy too cramped. The cover system is nice but unfortunately you are pretty much forced to use it if you choose not to ninja your way through every objective, which makes for a pretty repetitive combat experience. Once you level up your typhoon, stealth, and icarus landing system it does offer you the option of some interesting combos that looks pretty neat but your power runs out so quickly its hard to execute them quickly enough. I have so far made it to the second city, but I can already tell this game does not come anywhere near to giving the series any justice. Nothing innovative or groundbreaking here, like I said just another flashy futuristic cookie cutter stealth game tailored toward an inferior console market with dumbed down game mechanics for the more "casual" players. Not what I expected from a Deus Ex title. Although judging from the last one, that seems to be where they are heading. After a week of playing through every day for a few hours or so Im already starting to get bored with it. Expand
  100. Sep 2, 2011
    The amount of immersion and depth that the plot and the environment in this game achieves can only be described as BRILLIANT. The plot that directs the story, and the sub-plots that surround it, are state-of-the-art for a video game. SO: If you're the kind of person who knows how to appreciate a good story, this game is a MUST to an extent in which I will risk to say that there are, inThe amount of immersion and depth that the plot and the environment in this game achieves can only be described as BRILLIANT. The plot that directs the story, and the sub-plots that surround it, are state-of-the-art for a video game. SO: If you're the kind of person who knows how to appreciate a good story, this game is a MUST to an extent in which I will risk to say that there are, in history of gaming, very few games that deliver such complex reflexions and depth of the world, connecting it to our actual history in some fantastic and not-so-fantastic ways. Now a warning: If you just want a shooter to kill some time, this is NOT your game. It's system is not particularly amusing, though is extremely rich in terms of possibilities, but covering and shooting through this game is just not worthy. If you're a fan of the stealth mode, then this game definitely delivers, and lets you choose between a thousand options in every single combat situation. If you just bought it or you're planning to, one last thing: EVERYTHING you do counts, and have a consequence, and there is nothing that couldn't be different. there IS another path, and you CAN do it other way. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]