6.2

1. Dec 17, 2012
    Terrible combat, level design, story, game play and game design. Invisible War has nothing going for it and is completely forgettable console-pandering garbage. Stripped of RPG elements with a dumbed down inventory using universal ammo for all your guns, this game was really ahead of it's time in casualizing a well known game series for a "wider audience." Characters are simplistic, disposable, and forgettable; I couldn't tell you who is in this game besides JC, Adam, and Tracer Tong. The plot and all the new story elements introduced are poorly written and embarassing when placed next to its predecessor. It's a real shame that this black mark is on the series considering how amazing the original and Human Revolution are. I can't think of a single positive thing about it so I give it a "1" because it is playable. Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    Wow. i get shocked every time i see how bad this game is. The sequel to deus ex one of the greatest games ever, is THIS. this pathetic excuse for a game is the prime example of corporate cash in.
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    I can't even bring myself to finish the game. The overall look has lost the grit that made the original so real, and the menu navigation has become a pain.
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    While IW is good compared to most shooters of it's time, it's just horrible compared to first DX due clear console-lobotomization. Level design is dull, combat is dull, pretty much everything is dull and monotonic.
  5. Apr 5, 2014
    Not as rich as the first Deus Ex, it still offers some variety as you have offers from the three factions struggling for power. Weapons are underwhelming, but the main defects come from the bad console port : small levels, clunky combat, ridiculous inventory, uninteresting and useless biomods. DEIW keeps some interest thanks to its good sci-fi story, albeit shallow compared to the preceding game.

The game is unstable on modern systems (Windows 7, 8) you may never be able to finish it.
  6. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    Another victim of Consolitardism. Does not even come close to mediocre, and fails at everything Deus Ex succeeded at: RPG experience, storytelling, gameplay, reactivity, moral ambiguity. Even were it to be judged as a shooter only, it's terrible. Some of the critics reviews are truly shameful. Don't waste your time on this, better to keep the good memories of the Original.
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    I recently bought this in a Deus Ex offer, DX1 and DX2 for a few £. I absolutely loved the original when it first came out and I still do. But this, "sequel", really has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

The gameplay is mundane and unexciting, the storyline is plain boring and uninspiring and the game design is just plain bad, objects falling through floors?!
    Despite all the problems that DX1 had with it's ambitious game design, DX2 doesn't even come close to being as good as the original.

Pleased I didn't pay full price for this one and at least I've got the original to make up for it.
  8. Aug 18, 2012
    It's just bad. It's just really really horribly awful.
    After playing this alongside other similar titles from the same era in a marathon today, I can finally put into words WHY its's bad.

Atmospherics-
    There are none. Literally. I'm not talking about the graphics being outdated. There just simply wasn't any thought put into the areas whatsoever. The outside city area feels
    claustrophobic and sterile. The inside areas feel bare and unused. The entire game feels like it's made out of plastic or that one episode of the Twilight Zone where everything was a child's diorama. It's as if a business executive poked his head into the design team's studio, glared at his watch as the team were painstakingly planning corridors then just screamed "PUT A NEON SIGN ON IT. THERE ITS A CITY. You're costing me money" before storming out.

Characters-
    Every NPC in the game is a paper cut-out of a human being. Their motivation seemingly written by a child. I AM A MANAGER I LIKE MONEY. BUSINESS IS BAD. NEED TO MAKE BUSINESS GOOD. I am a worker, beep bop boop. Work is hard. I hate working. I am lazy beep bop boop.
    It's hard to feel any remorse when you throw their corpses around as they were never really alive to begin with. I know that in this era, AI was still rather rudimentary, however, after rubbing a dead guard against a non-hostile live guard's face, I was expecting some kind of reaction. A simple "put that down" or attack action would've been fine. Instead I got nothing, and that's where the problem in Deus Ex lies. It isn't wholeheartedly filled with terrible ideas. It isn't filled with anything. The game is just bare and unabashedly gleeful as can be about it. Story characters aren't given any sort of backstory beyond a vague summary probably written on a dirty napkin in a design meeting. Within the first hour or two you're already confronted with your "factions" argument, a trope that has seen better days.

Story
    The story resembles a "my first betrayal" pop up book and is highly characteristic of these sorts of games. This alone isn't a failing merit but nothing new has been done with it at all. There are vague elements of Beyond Good & Evil, a more well polished, sucessful game that came out only a year or two prior, only they're executed without any finesse. Whereas BG&E gave you a reason to want to uncover the truth and convince others to see it Invisible War doesn't really care what you do either way. It's just irritated that you're taking so long, so there are no hints or subtleties, just cereal box headlines rammed down your throat. Bad map design, terrible hollow combat, almost useless stealth features and a character customization system that has no customization. I've played everything and this is just terrible with no redeeming features.
  9. Anon
    Dec 3, 2003
    This is not a horrible game, but it is also not very good. I'm sure I might enjoy it if I got more than 20 FPS with my Radeon 9800, but I don't. When the graphics look worse than a game a year old but manage to give me half as many frames per second, I know something is very wrong. Add in dumbed down gameplay (one ammo type? no leaning? horrid AI?) and you've got a game that makes me thankful I can return it! Thank you Software ETC! Collapse

1. One of the most captivating and thoroughly polished titles in recent times. It’s not perfect, however anyone who has an interest in well-crafted Sci-Fi storylines a la "Minority Report" will find themselves completely captivated with this game.
  2. A somewhat disappointing, but fun sequel.
  3. It absolutely defines mediocrity.