Deus Ex: Invisible War PC

6.3

1. Aug 28, 2016
    Deus Ex Invisible War is second and worst game in series. This game about new war and new enemies in Deus Ex Series and Deus Ex Invisible War is fail. Graphics is very good for 2003, but storyline is **** gameplay is good, but gameplay in first Deus Ex is better, I think Deus Ex Invisible War is bad continue for original Deus Ex (2000), because Deus Ex is awesome cyberpunk game, graphicsDeus Ex Invisible War is second and worst game in series. This game about new war and new enemies in Deus Ex Series and Deus Ex Invisible War is fail. Graphics is very good for 2003, but storyline is **** gameplay is good, but gameplay in first Deus Ex is better, I think Deus Ex Invisible War is bad continue for original Deus Ex (2000), because Deus Ex is awesome cyberpunk game, graphics is much worse than in Invisible War, but storyline and gameplay is much better than in Invisible War. Deus Ex Invisible War is normal for Cyberpunk Game, but isnt normal for Deus Ex Series. Deus Ex Invisible War isnt good game, Deus Ex Invisible War is bad game. Expand
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    Sometimes sequels work others they don't. This game is a shame because of how good the original was. I still have hopes the upcoming game does justice to how great the original was.
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    Terrible combat, level design, story, game play and game design. Invisible War has nothing going for it and is completely forgettable console-pandering garbage. Stripped of RPG elements with a dumbed down inventory using universal ammo for all your guns, this game was really ahead of it's time in casualizing a well known game series for a "wider audience." Characters are simplistic,Terrible combat, level design, story, game play and game design. Invisible War has nothing going for it and is completely forgettable console-pandering garbage. Stripped of RPG elements with a dumbed down inventory using universal ammo for all your guns, this game was really ahead of it's time in casualizing a well known game series for a "wider audience." Characters are simplistic, disposable, and forgettable; I couldn't tell you who is in this game besides JC, Adam, and Tracer Tong. The plot and all the new story elements introduced are poorly written and embarassing when placed next to its predecessor. It's a real shame that this black mark is on the series considering how amazing the original and Human Revolution are. I can't think of a single positive thing about it so I give it a "1" because it is playable. Expand
  4. Oct 31, 2013
    While enjoyable this feels like Deus Ex lite. Most of the interesting mechanics have gone and the characters are not even close to the standard of the original. shame.
  5. Aug 5, 2014
    One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history? Maybe. Bad game? Hell NO! Get real, it doesn't matter what this game would be like, it could never surpass the original Deus Ex. Deus Ex is the best game ever created, so it's kinda hard to do that. But while I was furious about all that "consolization" be it UI or visuals, or overall simplification of the game mechanics, I was justOne of the biggest disappointments in gaming history? Maybe. Bad game? Hell NO! Get real, it doesn't matter what this game would be like, it could never surpass the original Deus Ex. Deus Ex is the best game ever created, so it's kinda hard to do that. But while I was furious about all that "consolization" be it UI or visuals, or overall simplification of the game mechanics, I was just disgusted by that, but once I got used to it, I enjoyed my experience with Deus Ex 2 quite a lot. It's really not that bad, it still got some of that Deus Ex vibe, even though it's much lighter and softer version, but the atmosphere and the story is still there and it's definitely worth playing and can be a pretty strong experience. 8/10 Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2015
    I am kind of disappointed with this installment in the Deus Ex franchise, and not because of the content of the game. The content is fine enough. Visuals are beautiful, music that I've heard so far is nice, and the non-linear Deus Ex approach to tasks is definitely there.

It's just the way the software is put together is bad. The levels are broken into lots of smaller sections, with constant loading screens in between. Sometimes to get from one area of town to another, you'd have to go through 3 loading screens. That's not fun at all and horribly breaks the immersion. To add to the wound, the game crashes at times for no obvious reason at all. I am now unable to make progress because of that.

It's a pity really, because the game seems promising and decent enough. Not quite up to the same standard as the original and Human Revolution, but reasonably good enough aside from the crashes and loading screens. Unfortunately in its current state, I can't give it a higher score.
  7. Feb 14, 2012
    A huge step down from the original deus ex. It's hard to believe that it's even by the same developers. There is still an interesting story, and there is some options. Unfortunately the world is tiny, and the lack of larger hub style, gameplay approach laden levels/worlds makes this less of a deus ex game, and more of a deus ex spin off. A good game? Absolutely. Holds a candle to deus exA huge step down from the original deus ex. It's hard to believe that it's even by the same developers. There is still an interesting story, and there is some options. Unfortunately the world is tiny, and the lack of larger hub style, gameplay approach laden levels/worlds makes this less of a deus ex game, and more of a deus ex spin off. A good game? Absolutely. Holds a candle to deus ex and human revolution? Not even vaguely. Expand
  8. Apr 29, 2012
    DX:IW is a chronological sequel to the original Deus Ex...but that's where it ends. Where the original game was an exhibit of outstandingly balanced gameplay, ingenious mechanics, and exemplary writing, DX:IW nearly completely lost sight of all of it. Writing was thin and with a minimally-engaging plot and stilted dialog, made worse by generally mediocre voice acting. Graphics, despiteDX:IW is a chronological sequel to the original Deus Ex...but that's where it ends. Where the original game was an exhibit of outstandingly balanced gameplay, ingenious mechanics, and exemplary writing, DX:IW nearly completely lost sight of all of it. Writing was thin and with a minimally-engaging plot and stilted dialog, made worse by generally mediocre voice acting. Graphics, despite mechanically improved over the original, are poor; while the original DX suffered from old technology and limited polygon counts, it nevertheless created a visually arresting gameworld through creative use of what it did have to work with. DX:IW had access to better technology and while textures looked better and objects smoother, the overall effect seemed weaker than the original. The blame from this can be laid at the feet of parallel development -- the simultaneous design requiring the system be technologically dumbed-down to survive on a console killed it. Worlds are small, load screens are frequent, and scene-setting -- the placement of elements in the world that one would expect to see and, thus, improve the realism and feel of the game world -- nearly nonexistent. The console development impetus also resulted in an inexcusable compromise of the game's core design: choice. The option to go stealth, combat, or anywhere in between was largely eliminated, turning DX:IW into a more ineffective run-and-gun requiring (and allowing) little finesse. Players of the original Deus Ex frequently complained bitterly that the game had been dumbed down and rightly so; compared to the original, DX:IW is a weak, watered-down, unfulfilling game that seems to exist only to keep the name flag flying. But, taken on its own, DX:IW isn't an awful game. On its own merits, DX:IW does allow for some creativity in planning and flexibility in strategy -- not as much as its predecessor and definitely not as much as is successor -- but enough to distinguish it from a basic run-and-gun. In short, worth a pick-up from the bargain bin (where it can still occasionally be seen) or from eBay. Expand
  9. Jul 1, 2013
    It didn't quite fill the Deus Ex shoes. It's basically Deus Ex lite. The story is still interesting and the graphics get a nice update, but in every other way it's a notch below its older brother. The game mechanics, exploration and atmosphere all seem diminished somehow. On its own, it's still a worthy title and anyone into cyberpunk style games will like it.
  10. Dec 28, 2012
    Although clearly inferior in depth to Deus Ex 1, Deus Ex 2 is a must play simply because it is a direct continuation and resolution of the Deus Ex story. The story and characters are as good as DX1, but the gameplay is dumbed down, with incredibly small levels. Everything feels compacted, like you are in miniature versions of buildings and locations. Then again, the story is more tightlyAlthough clearly inferior in depth to Deus Ex 1, Deus Ex 2 is a must play simply because it is a direct continuation and resolution of the Deus Ex story. The story and characters are as good as DX1, but the gameplay is dumbed down, with incredibly small levels. Everything feels compacted, like you are in miniature versions of buildings and locations. Then again, the story is more tightly paced than DX1, which could meander at times. So yes, the gameplay isn't great, but the story is worth it. Play it once and move on; you need to find out how the awesome DX1 story finally resolves itself. Expand
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    This game doesn't get nearly enough love. There is no doubt it's not as good as the original, or the recently released third game in the series, but this is a stellar game in it's own right. There's not as much area to explore as there is in either of the other two Deus Ex games, but what is there is done well. The story is great, especially if you've played the original game recently. TheThis game doesn't get nearly enough love. There is no doubt it's not as good as the original, or the recently released third game in the series, but this is a stellar game in it's own right. There's not as much area to explore as there is in either of the other two Deus Ex games, but what is there is done well. The story is great, especially if you've played the original game recently. The graphics are a little bit 'cartoony' (I guess that's what I'd call it), or at least don't seem to encapsulate the essence of the atmosphere of the game as well as the original game did. Despite all this though, the game is great. It's fun, it's engaging, and it's easy to sink into the well-designed world. Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    The game is not bad. It's not as good as the original Deus Ex but I still enjoyed playing it. Most levels still had that Deus Ex feel to them which I really enjoyed. I think people compare this game too much with the original game giving it a too low score.
  13. Jul 14, 2013
    Wow. i get shocked every time i see how bad this game is. The sequel to deus ex one of the greatest games ever, is THIS. this pathetic excuse for a game is the prime example of corporate cash in.
  14. Aug 9, 2012
    I've only recently played through Deus Ex: Invisible War, and, after completing the first Deus Ex game as well as Human Revolution, this one was disappointing in comparison. Its Havok v2.0 physics engine mitigates the low score, since it's one of the first games to utilize ragdoll physics - the engine on which Valve's Source engine was based. But as far as gameplay is concerned, the mapsI've only recently played through Deus Ex: Invisible War, and, after completing the first Deus Ex game as well as Human Revolution, this one was disappointing in comparison. Its Havok v2.0 physics engine mitigates the low score, since it's one of the first games to utilize ragdoll physics - the engine on which Valve's Source engine was based. But as far as gameplay is concerned, the maps are small, the missions are unexciting, and the controls are somewhat confusing. The universal ammo system is a terrible idea - if you run out of ammo for one gun, you run out for all of them. Some of the characters from the first Deus Ex game return, but there's no feeling of intimacy with any other characters in the game. You still have the option to choose different paths and endings in the game, but it does little to enhance gameplay experience. The first Deus Ex game is superb, the third one is also quite good, but don't feel like you're missing much if you wish to pass this one up. Expand
  15. Apr 5, 2014
    Not as rich as the first Deus Ex, it still offers some variety as you have offers from the three factions struggling for power. Weapons are underwhelming, but the main defects come from the bad console port : small levels, clunky combat, ridiculous inventory, uninteresting and useless biomods. DEIW keeps some interest thanks to its good sci-fi story, albeit shallow compared to theNot as rich as the first Deus Ex, it still offers some variety as you have offers from the three factions struggling for power. Weapons are underwhelming, but the main defects come from the bad console port : small levels, clunky combat, ridiculous inventory, uninteresting and useless biomods. DEIW keeps some interest thanks to its good sci-fi story, albeit shallow compared to the preceding game.

The game is unstable on modern systems (Windows 7, 8) you may never be able to finish it.
  16. Jan 6, 2011
    I gave DX1 a 9, so this will get 8. What makes it slightly worse, is the level design that is somehow a bit ruined for the xbox. But it think this sequel also has one strength compared to the original: the plot runs smoother, and something important is always happening. The levels are not so boring long as in the end of original Deus Ex. Traditionally I'm a console hater, but universalI gave DX1 a 9, so this will get 8. What makes it slightly worse, is the level design that is somehow a bit ruined for the xbox. But it think this sequel also has one strength compared to the original: the plot runs smoother, and something important is always happening. The levels are not so boring long as in the end of original Deus Ex. Traditionally I'm a console hater, but universal ammo seems good to me, as I never enjoyed masturbating with 10 types of different ammo. Expand
  17. egn
    Mar 12, 2013
    I /want/ to give this title a better score, but I just can't. While it has better graphics and the combat dynamics are improved over the original Deus Ex, It still is missing a lot in the area of...depth and choice. the choices presented in this game are generally false and ring hollow in the long term. They don't matter much. Play styles don't matter much either; every (tiny!) levelI /want/ to give this title a better score, but I just can't. While it has better graphics and the combat dynamics are improved over the original Deus Ex, It still is missing a lot in the area of...depth and choice. the choices presented in this game are generally false and ring hollow in the long term. They don't matter much. Play styles don't matter much either; every (tiny!) level is more or less the same formula, kill the bad guys and get the Macguffin. Did I mention the levels are tiny? Overall it was a big disappointment compared to the masterpiece of Deus Ex. Also, this game does NOT run well at all on modern PCs; the way the engine works is very...odd...and there is a constant switching of open windows for every area transition that is undergone in this game; of which there are very many, because as I said the levels are TINY. If you are a fan of the series, or want to see where things have gone after the events of DE1, then this game is worth checking out. But on it's own merits, there are really better choices out there. Expand
  18. Mar 13, 2011
    I can't even bring myself to finish the game. The overall look has lost the grit that made the original so real, and the menu navigation has become a pain.
  19. Sep 28, 2015
    Here's a case of a perfectly good game all it done wrong was not be the first game the attitude of a game is worse because its not the first is a popular one lately, of course follow ups are not going to have the new feel that the first game does as its building on that foundation and unless games adds 100 new features and mega shiny graphics they get slated.
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    While IW is good compared to most shooters of it's time, it's just horrible compared to first DX due clear console-lobotomization. Level design is dull, combat is dull, pretty much everything is dull and monotonic.
  21. Aug 7, 2015
    It doesn’t equal the predecessor, however this is a solid FPS/RPG cyberpunk hybrid with fun gameplay, gripping story (despite far-fetched twists), much optional stuff and several factions (tricking your enemies into attacking each other is always hilarious).

My main complaint concerns the unbalanced and limited biomod system: maximum level 3 can be reached very easily, while some biomods (e.g. aggressive defense drone, vision enhancement) completely pale in comparison to the really useful ones (e.g. thermal masking, regeneration).

All in all, if you like cyberpunk games, don’t miss this one.
  22. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    Another victim of Consolitardism. Does not even come close to mediocre, and fails at everything Deus Ex succeeded at: RPG experience, storytelling, gameplay, reactivity, moral ambiguity. Even were it to be judged as a shooter only, it's terrible. Some of the critics reviews are truly shameful. Don't waste your time on this, better to keep the good memories of the Original.
  23. Jul 26, 2016
    Deus ex is much better game than Deus ex: Invisible war. There is worse skill system and gameplay. I didnt like the menu, inventory, quest, map system. This is boring and hard game, i hate i always ran out of ammo. I cant reccomend the game, only for the deus ex fans.
  24. Aug 29, 2011
    Unlike many other PC players of this game, I enjoyed this quite a bit. It is hard to take issue with most of the criticisms, so why did I enjoy it (I still do, actually)? It may be a measure of how much I wanted the story to continue. I wanted to hear Paul and JC again. A junkie going through withdrawl doesn't quibble about the quality of his fix, he just wants his fix!
  25. Mar 16, 2011
    Enjoyable but terribly shallow - like going into the kiddie pool as an adult. The levels are atrociously tiny and the art direction looks like a saturday morning cartoon in the worst way possible, but there's just enough plot and other fun mechanics (biomods, scavenging, etc) to keep it worth playing.
  26. Sep 22, 2016
    I liked this game; I even played it twice (something I seldom do). So don't trust all the complaints, get enough info and judge for yourself.
    Yes, it's not as good as the original Deus Ex. It's simpler, easier, more straightforward; it's like a "kiddish" version of DX. But it's still fun, and it offers more choice and complexity than most games. I loved planning my strategy and executing it with style (even repeating a level to try different approaches). It's a game where thinking is more important than shooting.
    In short, if you don't expect it to be "DX2", you'll be likely to enjoy it.
    My main complaint is that it's too easy: even on the hardest difficulty, short after the beginning you have most weapons and enough biomods to not worry about enemies: you just have to be careful and plan your strategy, and you'll suffer minimal damage (unless something takes you by surprise - and it happens).
  27. Jul 7, 2015
    Okay, I understand that there is a lot of hate for this game. Noted. However, before you completely discount this review, haters, understand the fact that I come back to this series every year to play all the games through again, including the original(yet I don't consider The Fall to be canon). However I do have another fact to admit, and this is the fact that this was my first experienceOkay, I understand that there is a lot of hate for this game. Noted. However, before you completely discount this review, haters, understand the fact that I come back to this series every year to play all the games through again, including the original(yet I don't consider The Fall to be canon). However I do have another fact to admit, and this is the fact that this was my first experience with Deus Ex. Unfortunately I didn't possess a good enough computer to run the first Deus Ex when it came out, the knowledge of the game completely passed me by. It's strange how after Deus Ex met with such critical acclaim in its' time, only a couple years after (when I started to get into PC gaming) I had never heard mention of it till its' sequel was released on the Xbox platform. So, yeah, I have a little bit of a childhood blinders on but still this game deserves a better look, even from hardcore fans of the original.

There is a reason why I go back to play every Deus Ex game every year, it's because these games get me hooked by their brilliant stories and Franken-Genre take on the FPS blockbuster. In no other game can I find an RPG FPS with minor Platforming elements with a deep and detailed storlyine. It just doesn't exist, and each part of this series has a different flavor entirely.

As for Invisible War, this game has a very unique feel to it and it stands out from 1 and Human Revolution quite a bit, and it is as other people put it, kind of cold and apathetic. But for some reason, that doesn't exactly make me hate this game. The character you play as is pretty out of touch with reality, almost robotic, yet this sort of makes sense because he was... well... if you played the game you know his back story so I won't go and spoil it for any poor soul who hasn't played this yet.

On top of that, this bland character gives you the ability to sorta impose your own conscience over your decisions. In the end, Alex Denton feels more like a conscientious objector, a spectator; this fact gives the player the ability to let their own feelings and morals take control of the character's actions and in this way the player becomes the character. No other part of the Deus Ex franchise provides the means to interact with your character in this way.

The graphics, while they weren't exactly the best thing in their time, are still quite enjoyable to me today, and this is because it still delivers this cold and detached atmosphere that is not present in the other Deus Ex games. Combined with the (enjoyable) coldness of Alex Denton, it achieves in pulling off that not-so-bright future feel that some books like Farenheit 451 have. While the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution seem a little bit over-the-top, Invisible War seems quite subtle in comparison to the other two.

So, while I understand that there are a couple of things to hate on (really easy, too loose with the ammo and upgrades, well, that's pretty much my main gripe with Human Revolution too, except for the bugs), I give this game a 10 because I can't find it anywhere else. This game feels like playing a Hardcore Sci-Fi novel, and that is pretty much the coolest thing ever
  28. May 30, 2013
    Instead of being the one of the best sequels of all time, this game succeeds in being the most disappointing sequel ever made. There is almost no cause and effect like in the original title, no weight in your choices. Everything in this game feels rushed, from the dialogue, the story, the graphics, the controls, even the HUD and item screens. It wasn't worth the wait, nor would you missInstead of being the one of the best sequels of all time, this game succeeds in being the most disappointing sequel ever made. There is almost no cause and effect like in the original title, no weight in your choices. Everything in this game feels rushed, from the dialogue, the story, the graphics, the controls, even the HUD and item screens. It wasn't worth the wait, nor would you miss much if you skipped it and went right into Human Revolution. Expand
  29. DarioD.
    Aug 24, 2006
    A good game for those who've never played the first one, but if you've played DX1, you simply won't get over how terrible this is in comparison, and what a giant leap backward it is. Again, it's a good game, but difficult to enjoy if you're a fan of the original.
  30. A.D.
    Apr 4, 2004
    All right.

1. One of the most captivating and thoroughly polished titles in recent times. It’s not perfect, however anyone who has an interest in well-crafted Sci-Fi storylines a la "Minority Report" will find themselves completely captivated with this game.
  2. A somewhat disappointing, but fun sequel.
  3. It absolutely defines mediocrity.