6.2

1. Nov 22, 2011
    This game doesn't get nearly enough love. There is no doubt it's not as good as the original, or the recently released third game in the series, but this is a stellar game in it's own right. There's not as much area to explore as there is in either of the other two Deus Ex games, but what is there is done well. The story is great, especially if you've played the original game recently. The graphics are a little bit 'cartoony' (I guess that's what I'd call it), or at least don't seem to encapsulate the essence of the atmosphere of the game as well as the original game did. Despite all this though, the game is great. It's fun, it's engaging, and it's easy to sink into the well-designed world. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2011
    I gave DX1 a 9, so this will get 8. What makes it slightly worse, is the level design that is somehow a bit ruined for the xbox. But it think this sequel also has one strength compared to the original: the plot runs smoother, and something important is always happening. The levels are not so boring long as in the end of original Deus Ex. Traditionally I'm a console hater, but universal ammo seems good to me, as I never enjoyed masturbating with 10 types of different ammo. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2012
    The game is not bad. It's not as good as the original Deus Ex but I still enjoyed playing it. Most levels still had that Deus Ex feel to them which I really enjoyed. I think people compare this game too much with the original game giving it a too low score.
  4. Aug 5, 2014
    One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history? Maybe. Bad game? Hell NO! Get real, it doesn't matter what this game would be like, it could never surpass the original Deus Ex. Deus Ex is the best game ever created, so it's kinda hard to do that. But while I was furious about all that "consolization" be it UI or visuals, or overall simplification of the game mechanics, I was just disgusted by that, but once I got used to it, I enjoyed my experience with Deus Ex 2 quite a lot. It's really not that bad, it still got some of that Deus Ex vibe, even though it's much lighter and softer version, but the atmosphere and the story is still there and it's definitely worth playing and can be a pretty strong experience. 8/10 Expand
  5. Dec 28, 2012
    Although clearly inferior in depth to Deus Ex 1, Deus Ex 2 is a must play simply because it is a direct continuation and resolution of the Deus Ex story. The story and characters are as good as DX1, but the gameplay is dumbed down, with incredibly small levels. Everything feels compacted, like you are in miniature versions of buildings and locations. Then again, the story is more tightly paced than DX1, which could meander at times. So yes, the gameplay isn't great, but the story is worth it. Play it once and move on; you need to find out how the awesome DX1 story finally resolves itself. Expand
  6. Feb 14, 2012
    A huge step down from the original deus ex. It's hard to believe that it's even by the same developers. There is still an interesting story, and there is some options. Unfortunately the world is tiny, and the lack of larger hub style, gameplay approach laden levels/worlds makes this less of a deus ex game, and more of a deus ex spin off. A good game? Absolutely. Holds a candle to deus ex and human revolution? Not even vaguely. Expand
  7. Aug 29, 2011
    Unlike many other PC players of this game, I enjoyed this quite a bit. It is hard to take issue with most of the criticisms, so why did I enjoy it (I still do, actually)? It may be a measure of how much I wanted the story to continue. I wanted to hear Paul and JC again. A junkie going through withdrawl doesn't quibble about the quality of his fix, he just wants his fix!
  8. Oct 31, 2013
    While enjoyable this feels like Deus Ex lite. Most of the interesting mechanics have gone and the characters are not even close to the standard of the original. shame.
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    DX:IW is a chronological sequel to the original Deus Ex...but that's where it ends. Where the original game was an exhibit of outstandingly balanced gameplay, ingenious mechanics, and exemplary writing, DX:IW nearly completely lost sight of all of it. Writing was thin and with a minimally-engaging plot and stilted dialog, made worse by generally mediocre voice acting. Graphics, despite mechanically improved over the original, are poor; while the original DX suffered from old technology and limited polygon counts, it nevertheless created a visually arresting gameworld through creative use of what it did have to work with. DX:IW had access to better technology and while textures looked better and objects smoother, the overall effect seemed weaker than the original. The blame from this can be laid at the feet of parallel development -- the simultaneous design requiring the system be technologically dumbed-down to survive on a console killed it. Worlds are small, load screens are frequent, and scene-setting -- the placement of elements in the world that one would expect to see and, thus, improve the realism and feel of the game world -- nearly nonexistent. The console development impetus also resulted in an inexcusable compromise of the game's core design: choice. The option to go stealth, combat, or anywhere in between was largely eliminated, turning DX:IW into a more ineffective run-and-gun requiring (and allowing) little finesse. Players of the original Deus Ex frequently complained bitterly that the game had been dumbed down and rightly so; compared to the original, DX:IW is a weak, watered-down, unfulfilling game that seems to exist only to keep the name flag flying. But, taken on its own, DX:IW isn't an awful game. On its own merits, DX:IW does allow for some creativity in planning and flexibility in strategy -- not as much as its predecessor and definitely not as much as is successor -- but enough to distinguish it from a basic run-and-gun. In short, worth a pick-up from the bargain bin (where it can still occasionally be seen) or from eBay. Expand
  10. Jul 1, 2013
    It didn't quite fill the Deus Ex shoes. It's basically Deus Ex lite. The story is still interesting and the graphics get a nice update, but in every other way it's a notch below its older brother. The game mechanics, exploration and atmosphere all seem diminished somehow. On its own, it's still a worthy title and anyone into cyberpunk style games will like it.
  11. Oct 23, 2010
    Sometimes sequels work others they don't. This game is a shame because of how good the original was. I still have hopes the upcoming game does justice to how great the original was.
  12. Mar 16, 2011
    Enjoyable but terribly shallow - like going into the kiddie pool as an adult. The levels are atrociously tiny and the art direction looks like a saturday morning cartoon in the worst way possible, but there's just enough plot and other fun mechanics (biomods, scavenging, etc) to keep it worth playing.
  13. egn
    Mar 12, 2013
    I /want/ to give this title a better score, but I just can't. While it has better graphics and the combat dynamics are improved over the original Deus Ex, It still is missing a lot in the area of...depth and choice. the choices presented in this game are generally false and ring hollow in the long term. They don't matter much. Play styles don't matter much either; every (tiny!) level is more or less the same formula, kill the bad guys and get the Macguffin. Did I mention the levels are tiny? Overall it was a big disappointment compared to the masterpiece of Deus Ex. Also, this game does NOT run well at all on modern PCs; the way the engine works is very...odd...and there is a constant switching of open windows for every area transition that is undergone in this game; of which there are very many, because as I said the levels are TINY. If you are a fan of the series, or want to see where things have gone after the events of DE1, then this game is worth checking out. But on it's own merits, there are really better choices out there. Expand
  14. May 30, 2013
    Instead of being the one of the best sequels of all time, this game succeeds in being the most disappointing sequel ever made. There is almost no cause and effect like in the original title, no weight in your choices. Everything in this game feels rushed, from the dialogue, the story, the graphics, the controls, even the HUD and item screens. It wasn't worth the wait, nor would you miss much if you skipped it and went right into Human Revolution. Expand
  15. Aug 9, 2012
    I've only recently played through Deus Ex: Invisible War, and, after completing the first Deus Ex game as well as Human Revolution, this one was disappointing in comparison. Its Havok v2.0 physics engine mitigates the low score, since it's one of the first games to utilize ragdoll physics - the engine on which Valve's Source engine was based. But as far as gameplay is concerned, the maps are small, the missions are unexciting, and the controls are somewhat confusing. The universal ammo system is a terrible idea - if you run out of ammo for one gun, you run out for all of them. Some of the characters from the first Deus Ex game return, but there's no feeling of intimacy with any other characters in the game. You still have the option to choose different paths and endings in the game, but it does little to enhance gameplay experience. The first Deus Ex game is superb, the third one is also quite good, but don't feel like you're missing much if you wish to pass this one up. Expand
  16. Feb 26, 2014
    In the other Deus Ex games JC and AJ are dynamic characters whose weight added something special. The main weakness of the Invisible War was not the gameplay, story or level design. It was the uninteresting male/female protagonists just put a whole dampener on the game and made it a bit meh.
  17. Aug 18, 2012
    It's just bad. It's just really really horribly awful.
    After playing this alongside other similar titles from the same era in a marathon today, I can finally put into words WHY its's bad.

Atmospherics-
    There are none. Literally. I'm not talking about the graphics being outdated. There just simply wasn't any thought put into the areas whatsoever. The outside city area feels
    claustrophobic and sterile. The inside areas feel bare and unused. The entire game feels like it's made out of plastic or that one episode of the Twilight Zone where everything was a child's diorama. It's as if a business executive poked his head into the design team's studio, glared at his watch as the team were painstakingly planning corridors then just screamed "PUT A NEON SIGN ON IT. THERE ITS A CITY. You're costing me money" before storming out.

Characters-
    Every NPC in the game is a paper cut-out of a human being. Their motivation seemingly written by a child. I AM A MANAGER I LIKE MONEY. BUSINESS IS BAD. NEED TO MAKE BUSINESS GOOD. I am a worker, beep bop boop. Work is hard. I hate working. I am lazy beep bop boop.
    It's hard to feel any remorse when you throw their corpses around as they were never really alive to begin with. I know that in this era, AI was still rather rudimentary, however, after rubbing a dead guard against a non-hostile live guard's face, I was expecting some kind of reaction. A simple "put that down" or attack action would've been fine. Instead I got nothing, and that's where the problem in Deus Ex lies. It isn't wholeheartedly filled with terrible ideas. It isn't filled with anything. The game is just bare and unabashedly gleeful as can be about it. Story characters aren't given any sort of backstory beyond a vague summary probably written on a dirty napkin in a design meeting. Within the first hour or two you're already confronted with your "factions" argument, a trope that has seen better days.

Story
    The story resembles a "my first betrayal" pop up book and is highly characteristic of these sorts of games. This alone isn't a failing merit but nothing new has been done with it at all. There are vague elements of Beyond Good & Evil, a more well polished, sucessful game that came out only a year or two prior, only they're executed without any finesse. Whereas BG&E gave you a reason to want to uncover the truth and convince others to see it Invisible War doesn't really care what you do either way. It's just irritated that you're taking so long, so there are no hints or subtleties, just cereal box headlines rammed down your throat. Bad map design, terrible hollow combat, almost useless stealth features and a character customization system that has no customization. I've played everything and this is just terrible with no redeeming features.
  18. Dec 19, 2012
    While IW is good compared to most shooters of it's time, it's just horrible compared to first DX due clear console-lobotomization. Level design is dull, combat is dull, pretty much everything is dull and monotonic.
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    Not as rich as the first Deus Ex, it still offers some variety as you have offers from the three factions struggling for power. Weapons are underwhelming, but the main defects come from the bad console port : small levels, clunky combat, ridiculous inventory, uninteresting and useless biomods. DEIW keeps some interest thanks to its good sci-fi story, albeit shallow compared to the preceding game.

The game is unstable on modern systems (Windows 7, 8) you may never be able to finish it.
  20. Nov 29, 2010
    I recently bought this in a Deus Ex offer, DX1 and DX2 for a few £. I absolutely loved the original when it first came out and I still do. But this, "sequel", really has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

The gameplay is mundane and unexciting, the storyline is plain boring and uninspiring and the game design is just plain bad, objects falling through floors?!
    Despite all the problems that DX1 had with it's ambitious game design, DX2 doesn't even come close to being as good as the original.

Pleased I didn't pay full price for this one and at least I've got the original to make up for it.
  21. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    Another victim of Consolitardism. Does not even come close to mediocre, and fails at everything Deus Ex succeeded at: RPG experience, storytelling, gameplay, reactivity, moral ambiguity. Even were it to be judged as a shooter only, it's terrible. Some of the critics reviews are truly shameful. Don't waste your time on this, better to keep the good memories of the Original.
  22. Mar 13, 2011
    I can't even bring myself to finish the game. The overall look has lost the grit that made the original so real, and the menu navigation has become a pain.
  23. Dec 17, 2012
    Terrible combat, level design, story, game play and game design. Invisible War has nothing going for it and is completely forgettable console-pandering garbage. Stripped of RPG elements with a dumbed down inventory using universal ammo for all your guns, this game was really ahead of it's time in casualizing a well known game series for a "wider audience." Characters are simplistic, disposable, and forgettable; I couldn't tell you who is in this game besides JC, Adam, and Tracer Tong. The plot and all the new story elements introduced are poorly written and embarassing when placed next to its predecessor. It's a real shame that this black mark is on the series considering how amazing the original and Human Revolution are. I can't think of a single positive thing about it so I give it a "1" because it is playable. Expand
  24. Jul 14, 2013
    Wow. i get shocked every time i see how bad this game is. The sequel to deus ex one of the greatest games ever, is THIS. this pathetic excuse for a game is the prime example of corporate cash in.

1. One of the most captivating and thoroughly polished titles in recent times. It’s not perfect, however anyone who has an interest in well-crafted Sci-Fi storylines a la "Minority Report" will find themselves completely captivated with this game.
  2. A somewhat disappointing, but fun sequel.
  3. It absolutely defines mediocrity.