Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition PC

8.2

1. T.Haroldson
    Aug 17, 2006
    This game was obviously thrown straight over to the PC without even testing before it was sent out to the factory. Unplayable, poor graphics on a monitor, and just an abysmal game. I'm sure it would be better on the PS2 which is what it should have stayed on.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    Even now the game with help of some actions looks great on HD screens, the OST is simply one of the best and the story is really cool. And the fighting - ummmmm, it is simply PERFECT!!!
  3. MaxF.
    Jul 27, 2006
    This is probably an awesome game on the PS2, but the PC version is abysmal. Everything about it screams 3 interns were given a week to hammer out a working port.
  4. NicholasS.
    Jul 15, 2007
    The graphics may be worse than the ps2, but it's still great. The fast pace action is really nice and If you have a analog controller the control will be nice also. (if u dont have 1 then u need to get one). The battle system is awesome, enemies are awesome, boss fights are awesome. The only lack is of the intense puzzles that u would find in dmc1.
  5. MitchO.
    Feb 8, 2008
    This is one of my overall favorite games of all time. I can see why the PS2 version is superior. But this is still awesome!
  6. DavidB.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Really good game. I enjoy watching dante make all those SUPER COOL moves. The argument is pretty cool too and it helps to understand DMC 1. A lot of new content and 1 new character make of this game a gem that you must play.
  7. S.T.A.R.SPunisher
    Jul 9, 2006
    This is one of the greatest games i've ever played. It it fun, has great graphics, and doesnt cost too much money.
  8. Novi4ekNone
    Aug 26, 2006
    good game
  9. gamemaster06
    Oct 22, 2007
    Screw the thing that controls are wierd. But the game kicks ass, its very creative and interactive to play. If you like games with rad slashing ... get it now!!!
  10. NeilP.
    Jul 22, 2007
    Ive never had the opportunity to play this games on the ps2. Its the first game in the series i have played and i am absolutly loving it. I think its great!!
  11. NabeelH.
    Jun 18, 2007
    It is bloody wicked! the slashing with the swords is TOTALLY awesome.
  12. Dec 29, 2011
    This is a terrible port, alright. But it's terrible on one way only: The controls. If you have a gamepad, you're ready to go. If you google how to config your controller and use xpadder to make your controller's triggers work, there is absolutely NO problem. Also, always play on 4:3 resolutions, and if your screen is too big, use windowed mode. Well then, with this in mind, the game is theThis is a terrible port, alright. But it's terrible on one way only: The controls. If you have a gamepad, you're ready to go. If you google how to config your controller and use xpadder to make your controller's triggers work, there is absolutely NO problem. Also, always play on 4:3 resolutions, and if your screen is too big, use windowed mode. Well then, with this in mind, the game is the same as the PS2 one. So yeah, it's EPIC, One of the best hack'n'slash games EVER made. Good story, awesome cutscenes, the game is hard as hell and has the best bosses I've ever seen in a game. It's not a retarded button mash game, it actually requires skill, focus and reflexes, you have to learn how to play it to be good at it. It deserves a 10/10, but... Even if the problems can be fixed, they're still there, I can't give a 10/10 to a port with some problems. 9/10 is the perfect score for this game on PC. The PS2 version is an easy 10/10. Expand
  13. BryanN.
    Jul 13, 2006
    A typical Capcom game with spectacular visuals and well animated movie clips. The storyline was intriguing to keep playing non stop and boss battles were awesome with some cool moves for Dante.
  14. Barlog
    May 31, 2007
    Fools.... this game is very, very good... Have you installed the latest patch and bought a very good joypad? No? So don't vote till you play with them.
  15. Mar 23, 2013
    Is that hard to release the HD collection for PC?
    I think capcom should release the HD collection for PC(With a better PC port)
    Make this happen CAPCOM!!!
  16. MattD.
    Jun 18, 2007
    This game has the most amount of bugs i've ever seen; and at 1680x1050 it looks so bad it makes your eyes bleed. As for the controls don't even get me started i feel betrayed.
  17. BlaineF.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This is such a good gmae I love the battle system and its music and some of the attacks you could use. I had fun playing it and good graphics.
  18. JannikV.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Great geame with great fun! I love the fighting system and if you have a analog controller you won't have any difficulties with the controls.
  19. Feb 29, 2012
    This game is literally the worst port I have ever seen. No graphics tweaks/improvements to take advantage of PC technology, completely unplayable with mouse and keyboard, absolutely no assistance with what-button-does-what when using a gamepad, no programmed way to exit the game (gotta hit Alt-F5? Seriously???), graphically buggy, clunkily difficult to navigate interface, zero newThis game is literally the worst port I have ever seen. No graphics tweaks/improvements to take advantage of PC technology, completely unplayable with mouse and keyboard, absolutely no assistance with what-button-does-what when using a gamepad, no programmed way to exit the game (gotta hit Alt-F5? Seriously???), graphically buggy, clunkily difficult to navigate interface, zero new features (why's it called "Special Edition, exactly?) and visually ugly, ugly, UGLY! The accusation made by many that this game was probably ported to PC by a few interns over a weekend is not just an attempt at humor... it's very likely true! Everything about DMC3SE is a pitch-perfect lesson on how NOT to port a title. HOWEVER... If you can get the game to run and deal with the disgraceful learning curve, there is a stupendously fun action game to be had here. I had oodles of fun battling demons and listening to Dante's big-headed banter. The writing and voice acting is about what you'd expect from a Japanese title... or perhaps slightly better than normal. If I had played this on PS2, I would've given it a solid 7 or maybe even an 8, but I'm forced to review this title as-is... which is to say a fun game inside of an abysmally atrocious port. For shame, Capcom! Expand
  20. TomA.M.
    Jun 15, 2007
    What? It feels like playing a burned PS2 game, on a lame emulator. I never figured out the controls, and on top of that, the graphics sucks. Good Lord, how are they planning on selling this sh.t.. But I will admit it Dante's pistols made the game better.
  21. TaharattheDarkSIde
    Feb 3, 2007
    Very Cool Game! This was the first time I played DMC and utterly enjoyed it. Dante's so cool and so stylish. Though the bosses are a bit tough but Overall this game Deserves real credit. Great Job Capcom I hope DMC 4 is just as god as this one.
  22. DanielJ.
    Jul 4, 2006
    Althought the DMC3SE is not compatibile with all gamepads, this is the best action game for a PC game that I have play it, with a story and actions for every battle that makes you want to play again for over and over.
  23. ConstantineS.
    Aug 26, 2006
    It's realy COOL game. I'm absolutly crazy about it!! Capcom rulez!!! I want play DMC4!
  24. PresidentBob
    Jun 17, 2007
    Crap. utterly crap. dont even bother buying this: instead, go buy it for the Playstation 2. anyone whose given this higher than a 4 obviously hasnt played the PS2 version, or is a DMC fanboy. or is just obsessed that Dante can look cool. do yourself a favor. buy this where it belongs. the PS2. {side note. the controls are about as responsive as roadkill.}
  25. P.A.
    Jun 20, 2007
    This game is a VERY GOOD game! The hardest I ever played! I like challange.
  26. Leinad177
    Feb 5, 2008
    Best game ever...I seriously want to slap though idiots who gave it a bad rating.
  27. Nov 3, 2011
    So I wasted my money on this game that was clearly ported for the sake of wasting peoples time. Anyone that actually gave this game a rating >1 needs to go out and try it on the PS2, that was a good release of this game. I have never seen a game ported so poorly.

The graphics weren't enhanced to work on > 4:3 resolutions, the controls weren't ported over at all, and if you are using a controller that isn't 5 years old, have fun getting it to work at all without losing a large portion of your sanity.

I gave it a 1 because I remembered what it was like on the PS2. I should have just decided to play it on that instead of wasting my time and money with this clearly poor port.
  28. Jan 18, 2013
    DMC3 is one of the best action games ever but somehow Capcom ruined it for the PC and made one of the worst ports possible. This version is a direct 1:1 port of the console version and is impossible to play. I have tried every gamepad config option through both the game's choices and MotioninJoy's emulated controllers and none of them work properly. Either the buttons refuse to map inDMC3 is one of the best action games ever but somehow Capcom ruined it for the PC and made one of the worst ports possible. This version is a direct 1:1 port of the console version and is impossible to play. I have tried every gamepad config option through both the game's choices and MotioninJoy's emulated controllers and none of them work properly. Either the buttons refuse to map in game, axis' are reversed/swapped, or the controller just isn't reconized. I have a PS3 controller and it works with every other gamepad game I've played before. Yes, keyboard controls are technically possible but ridiculously cumbersome considering the control scheme.

Even if my gamepad worked, the game starts off windowed and max rez on my 1920x1080 monitor is 1280x960, with all other options being 4:3 and no widescreen support. All cutscenes are heavily compressed and look significantly worse than the console versions. Actual gameplay looks better but considering that I can't play it kind of ruins the experience.

Pick this up on PS2 or use an emu instead because this is unplayable. I love this game on PS2 but because it's so unplayable on PC I'm giving it a 0.
  29. MarcusV.
    Jul 16, 2007
    This game set 2 new personal records with me: I've never uninstalled a game before even applying the most recent patch until now, and I've never thrown any of my original game discs away until now. Absolute trash.
  30. AleksanderS.
    Jan 21, 2008
    This game is useless! I am sure it's great on the PS2 but this port is just fucking useless! Don't buy this crap for your PC!
  31. Sep 19, 2013
    Great game, a little aggrieved when porting to the PC in terms of graphics and buggy gamepad, but with the ability to use third-party software, control is easily adjusted.
  32. Oct 13, 2014
    Either I suck at gaming or this game is hard as hell. Especially Nevan is super hard in my eyes. Gameplay-wise, it's not a very good port and the storyline is worse than in DMC4.
  33. Mar 22, 2015
    The game takes place at the beginning of the Devil May Cry timeline, giving us a cheeky younger Dante who embarks on a quest to stop his twin brother Vergil from conquering the human world with a demon made tower named Temin-Ni-Gru. Dante faces several threats through his adventure, gaining several new devil arms and unique Styles, constantly moving to new locations. Several collectables,The game takes place at the beginning of the Devil May Cry timeline, giving us a cheeky younger Dante who embarks on a quest to stop his twin brother Vergil from conquering the human world with a demon made tower named Temin-Ni-Gru. Dante faces several threats through his adventure, gaining several new devil arms and unique Styles, constantly moving to new locations. Several collectables, new costumes and modes, including another Bloody Palace. Expand

1. games(TM)
    There’s more new content than you’d usually find in a Special Edition. [May 2006, p.128]
  2. PC Format
    Just don't blame us for the clumsy controls, dodgy camera angles and ultra-frustrating gameplay. [Sept 2006, p.104]
  3. PC Zone UK
    DMC3 has a few conversion issues - low-res textures and fiddly joypad setting-up - and lack of quicksaves can be infuriating when you have to begin a boss battle all over again, but overall it's infernal fun. [Oct 2006, p.78]