8.8

1. Jul 2, 2011
    LOL, I'm reviewing a 11 year old game. Does that tell you how amazing it is? 11 years ago this very week my friends and I played this game nonstop for a week at my house. Ah, memories. Moving on, Diablo 2 is showing it's age now, with bad pathfinding, cramped spaces, and clunky menus. But even after 11 years Diablo 2 is as addictive as ever. At a recent LAN party we were deciding what toLOL, I'm reviewing a 11 year old game. Does that tell you how amazing it is? 11 years ago this very week my friends and I played this game nonstop for a week at my house. Ah, memories. Moving on, Diablo 2 is showing it's age now, with bad pathfinding, cramped spaces, and clunky menus. But even after 11 years Diablo 2 is as addictive as ever. At a recent LAN party we were deciding what to play, all the options with so many games coming out over the years. What did we decide on? Diablo 2. I believe this is the very definition of a timeless classic. Gaming's come a long ways with modern hits like Torchlight, but then again I always find myself coming back home. Ah, Diablo 2, I've missed you... Err, anyway, If you've never played it, be sure to download the Hi-Res mod first and go enjoy finding some chipped skulls! Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2010
    THE game that demonstrated to all the brio of the best studio in the world. Never had hack'n'Slash been so good. Had to wait for WoW to spend more time on a game. Could not have been more addictive and more fun. The expansion LoD brought a lot of good addition and tweaks while keeping the essence of the game. An absolute must in PC Gaming.
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    Many games still do not compare to the pure awesomeness and originality of this franchise. The overall fun gameplay and emersive storyline paired with groundbreaking graphics and game engine make this title immortal.
  4. DaleK.
    Nov 11, 2001
    WOW.
  5. Oct 13, 2011
    There are certain games which are genre-defining. This is one of those games.
    I have personally played this game for thousands of hours - it just never gets old.
    If you have never played it, i have no clue what you HAVE been playing, probably "The Sims" or some other schlock. Blizzard may be the evil empire of gaming right now, but you cannot deny how monumentally epic this game is - and
    There are certain games which are genre-defining. This is one of those games.
    Blizzard may be the evil empire of gaming right now, but you cannot deny how monumentally epic this game is - and how it spawned an entire genre and dozens of copycat games.
    Diablo III is going to be unreal - get ready.
  6. May 25, 2012
    Diablo II is the best game ever. Very balance looting system: 3 different level with 3 different level of item. I would say diablo II > diablo I > diablo III
  7. ElectricWinter
    Aug 24, 2001
    Totally the best game ever. Bloody awesome!
  8. SimonB.
    Jun 1, 2007
    No game deserves a 10. Some games deserve a 0 for blatant null everything. Diablo 2 is a successful game in many regions aside PVP. Actually going through the story shows the irony of "SINGLE PLAYER" as you are forced to fight on your own or with a companion ( many for Druids and Necros ) throughout the game. You then finish the game but... surprise! You are only level 25 , buddy. Start No game deserves a 10. Some games deserve a 0 for blatant null everything. Diablo 2 is a successful game in many regions aside PVP. Actually going through the story shows the irony of "SINGLE PLAYER" as you are forced to fight on your own or with a companion ( many for Druids and Necros ) throughout the game. You then finish the game but... surprise! You are only level 25 , buddy. Start over again, finish Nightmare... surprise! You gotta do it all over again. Level 82, finish hell... surprise! You got nothing left to do. Well, yeah you do. You can still get to level 99 , do some PVP, make people bitch at you because you're a level 90+. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it gets a whole hell of a lot boring when all you can do is Baal Runs for hours in order to get the amount of XP you want in a record amount of time. PVP is the main reason I give this a 8. It's fun when you can beat people with all your mad equipment and +# skill levels stuff. But how annoying can it be when a sorceress can transform into a bear, do warcries and cast ravens at you and still kill you? Some of the runewords should have never been made available for other characters. Instead, you'd be better off allowing players to choose what synergy they want to have for their characters. This makes it so that in PVP, people without the RIGHT kit can't do crap against people that spent hours and hours just "running" to get the precious runes that give them the amazing items of "incessant pwnage". Breaks all the fun, to me. Makes the game far too individualistic for an RPG that is multi-player. Expand
  9. RyanM.
    May 25, 2002
    Blizzard has made another Starcraft for the new millenium. It rocks.
  10. MarkT.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Fun.
  11. Sep 12, 2011
    Still going strong 11 years after release. I played through it a couple of times back in the day. My girlfriend of 2 1/2+ years found her game cd when moving in as a roommate first before we started dating in 2009, had it pulled up one of the first few days we were roommates and was totally embarrassed when I walked in and saw it.
    After we started dating I ended up purchasing a new copy
    After we started dating I ended up purchasing a new copy and we played through it together. Good times!
  12. Sep 19, 2011
    People who give this game a score of less than 5 need to get their heads checked. Yea you might not like action RPGs or dungeon crawlers, but dont bash something because you don't like it. Rate it as is. This game is STILL played 11 years later. What games do you play 11 years after, not just a quick run through, LOTS of people still play and the game is still active. All this accountingPeople who give this game a score of less than 5 need to get their heads checked. Yea you might not like action RPGs or dungeon crawlers, but dont bash something because you don't like it. Rate it as is. This game is STILL played 11 years later. What games do you play 11 years after, not just a quick run through, LOTS of people still play and the game is still active. All this accounting the fact that there is NO NEW content, and spam bots everywhere... AND GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GAME, gameplay does... graphics just support the gameplay. Expand
  13. May 13, 2012
    I have been playing Diablo 2 since it was released. It is an old game, and it is so awesome it is still worth playing. I cant believe that people would buy it today, knowing it came out over 10 years ago, and complain about the graphics. There are some points of the game I did not like, as i do not really feel like all the classes were balanced, and some abilities were worthless. ThereI have been playing Diablo 2 since it was released. It is an old game, and it is so awesome it is still worth playing. I cant believe that people would buy it today, knowing it came out over 10 years ago, and complain about the graphics. There are some points of the game I did not like, as i do not really feel like all the classes were balanced, and some abilities were worthless. There was also a lot of skills, which made it really hard to build the character you wanted, but every character had a build that 'worked' Overall I am giving it a 9 out of 10 becuase of some minor kinks that were never really worked out. I can't wait till Diablo 3! Expand
  14. Kon
    Mar 3, 2007
    I would say Battle.Net is the probably the attraction for this piece of art. Back then when blizzard still paid attention it was excellent, I started from the ver. 0.8 days right through the 1.0 patch and I have to say through and through that it will be a long time before anyone can create another game that will rival this in any field except graphics. Now the support is on WoW, which is I would say Battle.Net is the probably the attraction for this piece of art. Back then when blizzard still paid attention it was excellent, I started from the ver. 0.8 days right through the 1.0 patch and I have to say through and through that it will be a long time before anyone can create another game that will rival this in any field except graphics. Now the support is on WoW, which is real shit, because in D2, i get to play online for free, I work hard and I can become super powerful and own everone's asses in PVP, but that's fine because I sweat my ass off more than anyone else, with WoW (which I also played), I pay for the multiplayer, and yet have to bear with all the shitty servers and in-game restrictions and rules, I work hard, run instances like a dumb mother and all i get is to be on the same level of power with everyone else. D2 is probably the best action RPG ever. Bless the Developers who are at Flagship Studios now. Expand
  15. JohnD.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Diablo II is like WoW, except good! and FUN! it's the kind of game that you love to hate and slowly become addicted too!
  16. MeW.
    Sep 9, 2003
    At first, the game was kinda slow, but i had know idea what was in it so i didnt become bored, I didnt play 24/7 thats just odd :/. Once i went online, i had friends help me get a good start, and after 3 years of it, i own the game. People ask how i find things, i say meph runs, but now i have a program that does it for me and i can go sleep or eat. This game is the best game ever, but if At first, the game was kinda slow, but i had know idea what was in it so i didnt become bored, I didnt play 24/7 thats just odd :/. Once i went online, i had friends help me get a good start, and after 3 years of it, i own the game. People ask how i find things, i say meph runs, but now i have a program that does it for me and i can go sleep or eat. This game is the best game ever, but if third one is made ill be pissed, I dont feel like starting over. Expand
  17. Marc
    Mar 21, 2004
    This game features an intriguing story and good, deep gameplay. However, poor graphics and lack of polish are some negatives. Still...quite an achievement.
  18. StephenS.
    Jun 7, 2004
    The Diablo series was one of the first real games to be released. It is a long term, exciting game series. Although the original was very fun for its time, it was out dated. The second Diablo was just perfect. But there were some hackers. Thats annoying. I still give it a 10 out of 10.
  19. MaximusBoris
    Aug 30, 2009
    One of the greatest games of all time im giving this 10 not because it earns it but because giving it somthing else would be like spitting on this great franchise.
  20. StephenF
    Jan 24, 2010
    Sheer masterpiece of hack and slashery. After going back to it to give it a play through I've found it's still just as great as I remember it. It's pathetic that people rate the game on the graphics, not because the game is so old but because the graphics was never it's real appeal.
  21. C.B.
    May 16, 2003
    This is an awesome highly addictive game. Many say they do not like it because when you first start it is kind of discouraging to see all these other awesome players while you are stuggling to kill what they kill 10 of in one shot. Best game for any system in my opinion.
  22. Feb 28, 2012
    I have more then 20 years of gaming and this game managed to suck more lifetime from me then anything else in the videogame market history. Need to say more? Perfect 10.
  23. Feb 28, 2012
    Diablo 2 is the definitive loot-action-rpg. It has the perfect balance of drops, sizeable maps, and rich atmosphere. In the end - however, the thing that separates diablo 2 from countless other similar games is that diablo 2 takes itself seriously. It tells a story, it has a darkness and a sense of place. A dungeon feels like a road to some destination rather than just a 'level'. Which isDiablo 2 is the definitive loot-action-rpg. It has the perfect balance of drops, sizeable maps, and rich atmosphere. In the end - however, the thing that separates diablo 2 from countless other similar games is that diablo 2 takes itself seriously. It tells a story, it has a darkness and a sense of place. A dungeon feels like a road to some destination rather than just a 'level'. Which is surprising considering most of the levels are randomly generated. Expand
  24. Mar 24, 2011
    When ever people mention action RPG, this is the game they think of period, there have been many pretenders but none have quite managed to take his throne.

25. May 19, 2012
    Way better than diablo 3. I dont see why they had to dumb down the d3 system after the formula for this game made it such a huge success. This game has great replay-ability, lots of different builds to try, and an easy way to reset stats if you mess up your build.
  26. Jun 6, 2012
    I spent over 10 years of my life playing this game and despite of playing some modern games like Witcher or Portal, I still like to make few-days-long sessions of Diablo 2. Every few months you just feel you want to play it sooo badly...
  27. Sep 4, 2011
    Hehe one of the most ,no the most addictive game to date :D Dark setting,epic characters (all 5 of them), epic enemies and allies (Diablo and Tyrael FTW), and epic ,epic gameplay, its simple ,yes but its soooo addictive...
  28. Jun 30, 2011
    Definitely the game that got me into Action RPG's and RPG's in general. Plays as your typical hack and slash RPG, but with a wide variety of classes and different talent trees per class to specialize into. I'll be frank, this game is meant to be played online, many classes have party supporting buffs, monsters are harder but give more exp in higher player games, and last but not least,Definitely the game that got me into Action RPG's and RPG's in general. Plays as your typical hack and slash RPG, but with a wide variety of classes and different talent trees per class to specialize into. I'll be frank, this game is meant to be played online, many classes have party supporting buffs, monsters are harder but give more exp in higher player games, and last but not least, you can get into the wonderous world of Diablo trading :), which might of been this games most addictive aspect, there are a LOT of rare items/runewords in the game and you are going to want to deck yourself out if you want to survive Hell. My only gripes with D2 are probably the most universal ones. No real end game content, very little support from blizzard to stem against bots/cheaters. Expand
  29. Dec 16, 2011
    I don't know why, but it's damn fun. There is no reason for this game to be actually good, it's way too much simple, graphics and atmosphere is awful, it's VERY repetitive etc. But I enjoyed it a lot.
  30. May 26, 2012
    Re-installed after getting shafted with Diablo 3. Yep Diablo 2 is that good after 10+ years. buy this masterpiece instead of that POS sequel. Blizzard =/= Blizzard North. Blizzard Northmade D2 and not D3. No wonder D2 is so much better.
  31. May 14, 2012
    Diablo II defines the era of hack-slash-loot RPG. This is the most epic adventure ever that a decade later most games still copy its mechanisms. Grinding loot usually gets boring in JRPGs but this western classic incorporates co-op elements flawlessly and loot varies in rarity as rewards. No RPG fan should be proud without spending 200 hours in Diablo II.
  32. Apr 1, 2012
    Este juego es epico!!!, ya es una leyenda en el mundo de los grandes, lo juego desde hace mas de 10 años y jamas me he aburido al punto de dejarlo completamente, no tengo palabras suficientes para expresar lo que es esta MASTERPIECE!!!
  33. Apr 7, 2012
    Simply brilliant. More enjoyable than half the games in today's market. A timeless classic that I'm sure I will spend many more hours playing. I recommended it to anyone who considers themselves an RPG fan.
  34. Apr 13, 2012
    Not knowing this game is like not knowing the game of chess. People who have had the courage to give it a negative review, not even deserve to live in this world, because they kill things healthy and fair.
  35. Aug 19, 2012
    One of the greatest games ever made. The only other game that trumps Diablo 2 is the LOD expansion. Ground breaking, free online, endless gameplay, it goes on and on. 12 years and continuing, this game is still selling off retailer shelves which is unheard of for PC games. No ARPG has ever bested this game. Unfortunately, Diablo 3 sucks so bad it has tarnished the Diablo franchise andOne of the greatest games ever made. The only other game that trumps Diablo 2 is the LOD expansion. Ground breaking, free online, endless gameplay, it goes on and on. 12 years and continuing, this game is still selling off retailer shelves which is unheard of for PC games. No ARPG has ever bested this game. Unfortunately, Diablo 3 sucks so bad it has tarnished the Diablo franchise and its the fault of Activision-Blizzard and their teams of incompetent twits lead by Jay Wilson. Expand
  36. May 20, 2012
    Diablo 2 > Diablo 3 ...................................................................................................
  37. Jun 3, 2012
    I'm writing this review from the perspective of someone living in 2000, used to 2000 graphics, and 2000 animation: Diablo II is much better than Diablo III.
  38. AnonymousMC
    Aug 30, 2006
    Diablo 2 is an awesome game for its time. Most people dont like it cause it takes some time and effort to actually become a decent player and have a decent character (or characters). People that rate this please remember that this game was released many years ago and might not have the best graphics if that is your excuse for giving it a bad rating.
  39. BradJ.
    Sep 6, 2001
    Excellent graphics and detail, story line is old though.
  40. DavidA.
    May 16, 2004
    If I could give this game a 12 out of ten i would. It is so utterly immersive, and is relatively simple to play. While being easy on the surface, being in a battle never fails to get my heart pumping and i continuously search for better rares and uniques. I am not a gamer, in fact this is the only game i ever play, but the internet version is fantastic - even seven years after the If I could give this game a 12 out of ten i would. It is so utterly immersive, and is relatively simple to play. While being easy on the surface, being in a battle never fails to get my heart pumping and i continuously search for better rares and uniques. I am not a gamer, in fact this is the only game i ever play, but the internet version is fantastic - even seven years after the release, there are always thousands of friendly people online to make up for the small amount of idiots. The community feeling is amazing. Back to the single player game, andwhile on the surface it is a game with poor graphics where you just click things, it has a huge amount of hidden depth, and the character creation and developement system is immersive and has endless possibilities while making sure not to be too complicated. The sound is fantastic, and the variance from one place to another, even within the acts, make this game infinately replayable. A superb game, which is added to well by the expansion pack. Expand
  41. AustinG.
    Sep 10, 2004
    Excellent game; Horrible game. This game will take over your life. You will skip meals and dodge your loved ones just to find that next big item. If you play it, use any hack you can in the hopes that Battle.net will ban your cd key, it's your only hope to get out.
  42. NisolinD.
    Mar 9, 2005
    This is an awsome game!
  43. ScottW.
    Oct 2, 2006
    Very addicting. Spent hours playing this game far into the night and then the next morning. Graphics could be a bit better but don't subtract from the play all that much.
  44. ZachF.
    Apr 17, 2006
    Very addictive. Very fun. Well worth the 20 dollars i payed for it.
  45. MikeC.
    Jan 26, 2007
    It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember it like yesterday. Sure there isn't hardly any replay value, and can cause carpal tunnel faster than any game, but it's one hell of a time, and it often challenging. The best part of the game is leveling up to defeat the insane bosses.
  46. MikeF.
    Jul 18, 2001
    I think this game has everything you need for a fun time. I have been playing for days and days. I even missed many Pokemon shows just because i have been playing this game 24:7. I am only 13 and I just can't leave the computer. My dad is getting mad at me. Hehehe. I think any kid under 13 should not play this game but if your over 13 then go and get this and be like me.
  47. TravisK.
    Apr 25, 2004
    This game takes up your time. But its well worth it so if i were you id get it and warn your family that the next 100 weekends are full.
  48. ZachO
    May 11, 2004
    How can anyone not like this game? some people say o it takes no skill...NO FRICKEN DUH how r they gona do ne different on the computer without making it the stupidest game alive. this game i mean it was made in 1997 give it a rest. all i have 2 say is GG.
  49. TommyN.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This game is excellent! This game's like Runescape, but the graphic's the best, and has great weapons, armors, etc.
  50. WaldemarT
    Nov 15, 2008
    To Griper :'' Unfortunately the online component is very dead... yes some people still play, but not enough to warent picking the game up again" That is soo not true. To this day many people enjoy Diablo 2 On battle.net I have been playing Diablo for an extremely long time and the game just doesn't get boring.
  51. [ANONYMOUS]
    May 13, 2009
    This is the absolute best mmo ever. I played this badboy for about 4 years straight. Simply put, the best (I think better than starcraft) Blizzard game yet!
  52. PeterC.
    Dec 25, 2001
    A great action/RPG. Exellent gameplay. A must have. A great improvement of the prequel.
  53. OlegO.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Great game. Addictive as I-don't-know-what.
  54. Sep 13, 2011
    Diablo 2 has one of the greatest loot, stat and talent systems in video games and has been very influential in the industry. The character classes are fun and interesting and give the game great replay value. While there are some awesome locations and enemy designs, I didnt find the story, atmosphere or enemy design better than the original Diablo asides to a few exceptions. Many of theDiablo 2 has one of the greatest loot, stat and talent systems in video games and has been very influential in the industry. The character classes are fun and interesting and give the game great replay value. While there are some awesome locations and enemy designs, I didnt find the story, atmosphere or enemy design better than the original Diablo asides to a few exceptions. Many of the enemies were stupid - cats warriors, little jungle tribe imps, bug swarms in the desert and the demons Mephisto and Bael looked pretty dumb compared to how awesome the demon Diablo was. The story has some good memonts and ideas but was not as compelling as the more simple but superior original Diablo with its more traditional demons, terror in the cathedral and memorable characters in Tristram. So in the end Diablo 2 is great but I cant help but say that some aspects were better in the orginal Diablo. Expand
  55. Jul 5, 2011
    DIABLO II I could write a huge review on this because i'm a big fan but who's gonna read it anyway this is my favorite game to this day nothing tops it, NOTHING. Just waiting for Diablo III now.
  56. Nov 30, 2011
    While Diablo II is a good game, its not a great game like the original. The new characters are nice, the new skill trees are nice, but a lot is lost in the atmosphere of the game. The original Diablo created a great atmosphere, which is something D2 has failed to do. Instead of creating an open and interesting world, the episodes are patched together with portals. D2 would have been aWhile Diablo II is a good game, its not a great game like the original. The new characters are nice, the new skill trees are nice, but a lot is lost in the atmosphere of the game. The original Diablo created a great atmosphere, which is something D2 has failed to do. Instead of creating an open and interesting world, the episodes are patched together with portals. D2 would have been a lot better if there had been more NPCs, more towns and more side quest. Expand
  57. May 16, 2012
    super gameeee............ i love you DIABLO !!!!!!!!!!!!! .............................................................................................................................
  58. May 29, 2012
    Umm what can i say most addictive game i ever played. i mean non stop 24hrs but i dont think you will get the same community and actiblizzz has done a great job of not doing anything with the imba on the game still a great game an gets a 10 because i have never logged more hours on a game than this one i probably have 1 physical year day an night on this game love it an i makes D3 look badUmm what can i say most addictive game i ever played. i mean non stop 24hrs but i dont think you will get the same community and actiblizzz has done a great job of not doing anything with the imba on the game still a great game an gets a 10 because i have never logged more hours on a game than this one i probably have 1 physical year day an night on this game love it an i makes D3 look bad you can actually customize your char all the way this is what diablo did right freedom of choice Expand
  59. May 27, 2012
    The best action-RPG ever. Graphics are pretty bad even by the 2000 standards but the game play was amazing. You needed probably hundred of hours to complete all difficulty levels and reach a high character level. There were lots of items that made the game so amazing. Getting the best item was just so addictive. Absolutely recommendable game. Today, you can get it with the Lord ofThe best action-RPG ever. Graphics are pretty bad even by the 2000 standards but the game play was amazing. You needed probably hundred of hours to complete all difficulty levels and reach a high character level. There were lots of items that made the game so amazing. Getting the best item was just so addictive. Absolutely recommendable game. Today, you can get it with the Lord of Destruction expansion set just for 20â Expand
  60. May 22, 2012
    The most addictive action RPG ever created so far. The long term playing factor is unmatched till today. If the game wasn't compromised by bots/hacks it would still be outstanding.
  61. Jan 5, 2013
    In my opinion the all time greatest game of all time. I played this game for well over a decade and i was a GOD. I bow to the creators for such a magnificent work of gaming perfection. You my friends are what make Acti-Blizzard look like fools. If i had the money i would buy the franchise, fire Jay Wilson, bring you all back and right the wrong that is D3.
  62. Aug 6, 2012
    If someone asked me "What is a timeless classic video game?" Diablo 2 would be the first game to come to mind. What can be said about D2 that hasnt already been said? D2, when released was groundbreaking to the genre. It redfined just what "hardcore" meant in gaming. It also catapulted Battle.net to one of the premiere, if not, the premiere gaming network. Battle.net's Diablo 2, along withIf someone asked me "What is a timeless classic video game?" Diablo 2 would be the first game to come to mind. What can be said about D2 that hasnt already been said? D2, when released was groundbreaking to the genre. It redfined just what "hardcore" meant in gaming. It also catapulted Battle.net to one of the premiere, if not, the premiere gaming network. Battle.net's Diablo 2, along with Starcraft and Warcraft 2 (and later Warcraft 3), became one of the pinnacles of online gaming. I've spent countless hours hacking and slashing in the dark world of Diablo. 11 years after its release, and people are STILL playing. You will paly until your heart stops, until your eyes bleed, and you just cant get enough. Expand
  63. Aug 26, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic sequel to the game that redefined one genre and shaped another. Diablo II created a dynasty that many other games have copied but have thus far failed to perfect.
  64. Sep 2, 2012
    Diablo 2 has to be one of the most addicting games ever made. How Addicting? So addicting that people were willing to spend real $ for items. Although that aspect killed some of the fun, Diablo 2 remains to this day a classic example of an extremely well put together hack and slash action RPG that stemmed a lot of ideas for newer games. For some reason, playing this game felt so fluid andDiablo 2 has to be one of the most addicting games ever made. How Addicting? So addicting that people were willing to spend real $ for items. Although that aspect killed some of the fun, Diablo 2 remains to this day a classic example of an extremely well put together hack and slash action RPG that stemmed a lot of ideas for newer games. For some reason, playing this game felt so fluid and fun, even though it was a click fest. Another amazing aspect was the continued support from Blizzard in patches, which gave the game more content each time. This game will always be a classic that creators look at for example. Like I said the only downfall was that some players became ebayer players and it was almost like pay 2 to be good. Expand
  65. Oct 1, 2012
    This old game was the best APG i have ever played. The best game i had and even a game that i'm actually keep playing. it's been 11 years since this game came out and it's going to be for me the best PC game i ever had. The only think it lacked it was space for the many items, gems and runes i had to save, you had to make several mules characters to save those items for you. OnlineThis old game was the best APG i have ever played. The best game i had and even a game that i'm actually keep playing. it's been 11 years since this game came out and it's going to be for me the best PC game i ever had. The only think it lacked it was space for the many items, gems and runes i had to save, you had to make several mules characters to save those items for you. Online playing was the pinnacle of this game experience, making it the best game to play with other players online. Expand
  66. Feb 16, 2013
    Next June 29 its 13 years since I've first played this game (14 if you consider the 1999 shareware version) and tell you what?
    I HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH YET!
    This game is addicting as oxygen, 7 playable characters (LOD expansion), item collecting, crafting, spells, gems, runes, hours and hours and hours of pure fun. The online is still alive after 13 years, and even if one day Blizzard will
    I HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH YET!
    The online is still alive after 13 years, and even if one day Blizzard will shut down the servers you still have the amazing LAN party option (I'm playing it right now with my GF).
    You can collect thousands of weapons and items, with thousands of possible upgrades or modifications (such as crafting, rune upgrades, gems upgrades).
    The story features 5 Acts with 6 missions per act, playable in three different difficulties (once you complete the campaign you unlock the next one).
    You can create a group up to 8 players online or on a TCP/IP lan party and play the campaign together with your friends.
    And if you feel nostalgic and want to see the graphics polished as they were on your CRT monitor, simply download the multires patch to increase screen resolution.
    10/10 TIMELESS.
    What are you reading at? GO PLAY IT!
  67. Feb 6, 2013
    This is still one of my favorite games of all time. While I will admit that time hasn't been kind to it, it still is as great as the day I first played it. It improves on the original in almost every way possible. Better graphics, better story, better characters, and even has a really great expansion to it to boot. I really feel sorry for anyone who didn't enjoy this game, as it willThis is still one of my favorite games of all time. While I will admit that time hasn't been kind to it, it still is as great as the day I first played it. It improves on the original in almost every way possible. Better graphics, better story, better characters, and even has a really great expansion to it to boot. I really feel sorry for anyone who didn't enjoy this game, as it will always have a place in my heart. Overall: Absolutely fantastic game that perhaps isn't up to modern standards, but then again this game is a perfect representation of the time it came out. Expand
  68. Aug 26, 2013
    A legendary game that created the aRPG genre. Obviously the graphics are really outdated nowadays but in general this game is and will ever be a classic. Must have, must play!

If you are a long-time Diablo 2 fan, go check out MedianXL excellent mod that made me play Diablo 2 for another 2 years.
  69. Oct 1, 2014
    The best game that I ever played in my life. It's a pillar of my gamer life, the style, the economic system inside the multiplayer. THe classes, the characterization, spell tree, WOW. The best hack 'n' slash created by the Blizzard.
  70. Nov 8, 2014
    This was my first ARPG and I was so confused, coming from Baldur's Gate this can't be considerer an "RPG" but it has "something" that tucks me playing day by day. Its environment, music, and FEAR has no paragon with any other game. Later I've noticed about the term "ARPG", but that was because Diablo II has established the rules for it and all other ARPGs has copied those addictiveThis was my first ARPG and I was so confused, coming from Baldur's Gate this can't be considerer an "RPG" but it has "something" that tucks me playing day by day. Its environment, music, and FEAR has no paragon with any other game. Later I've noticed about the term "ARPG", but that was because Diablo II has established the rules for it and all other ARPGs has copied those addictive mechanics. What can I say about my first ARPG and the "King" of ARPGs? Well 14 years after I still playing it time to time, which is much to say considering Diablo 3 is here and it was totally boring after finishing because the lack of stats, skill tree, deep, dark environment and all that the original saga has, if you want a REAL successor of Diablo 2 search it in Torchlight (the original creators of this saga), but Path of Exile has the real, real, real dark feeling in each pixel that can be considered the REAL successor of this game. IMO I choose Grim Dawn (from the creators of Titan Quest), that has all the feeling of Diablo 2, with modern 3D graphics and the offline mode and editor, it has all! Expand
  71. OnewithEarwax
    Nov 14, 2003
    Some inconvenient saving issues are hard to get used to, but overall Diablo II rocks! The characters are interesting, and its fun to experiment with each one.
  72. Dec 1, 2013
    In it`s time simply great. Cause this was a growing genre and this game define how to do it for whole decade. Ehm..no, LoD do that. This was just a great taste of progress with learning awesome skills and looting, story, atmosphere and best multiplayer experience. A living legend!
  73. Sep 6, 2013
    The best action RPG ever made and still amazed by it 11 years later. It was groundbreaking in its time, and no game has met its standards yet not even Diablo III. A must play for any hardcore dungeon crawler fans.
  74. Jan 19, 2013
    More than 1000 hours. That's how long I played this game across the many many years of magical enjoyment me and my friends had playing this RPG masterpiece. The loot is insane and the gameplay at hell difficulty was a savage but addicting experience. When Blizzard made this game, they sat together and said "Okay ladies and gentlemen, let's make the greatest RPG this world has ever seen!"More than 1000 hours. That's how long I played this game across the many many years of magical enjoyment me and my friends had playing this RPG masterpiece. The loot is insane and the gameplay at hell difficulty was a savage but addicting experience. When Blizzard made this game, they sat together and said "Okay ladies and gentlemen, let's make the greatest RPG this world has ever seen!" And by God they succeeded! It's been 12 years now and I still remember all the subjects in high school I nearly failed because of this. Easily the greatest 2D single and multiplayer RPG of all time. Expand
  75. Feb 23, 2014
    The game is better than its predecessor in just about everyone! Starting with the graphics and music and ending with the gameplay. We have bigger and more open lands, five character classes (amazon, barbarian, paladin, necromancer and sorceress). Every character I played nicely and their skills were just cool. The only thing in this game is bad is the graphics. Even in those days it wasThe game is better than its predecessor in just about everyone! Starting with the graphics and music and ending with the gameplay. We have bigger and more open lands, five character classes (amazon, barbarian, paladin, necromancer and sorceress). Every character I played nicely and their skills were just cool. The only thing in this game is bad is the graphics. Even in those days it was quite poor. Besides, Diablo II is a very good game. Expand
  76. Jun 19, 2013
    Played this game originally so I can understand all the Diablo lore and gameplay in anticipation for Diablo III which I had always seen but never actually experienced myself. I also thought I needed to play through D2 to understand D3. Anyway, let me move on to the actual review:

Very addictive and boatloads of button-smashing, skill/spell-spamming, potion-drinking fun. Wasn't particularly interested in the story, nor was I particularly interested in the environments since the graphics weren't exactly anything to be impressed about, but I did enjoy this game simply because of its gameplay.
  77. Oct 8, 2013
    i spend entire days without eating because i was playing this i didnt used to shower i didnt made my homework, i didnt put the thrash out i was a mess but i was a happy mess, playing diablo2 at the time was an awesome experience no games stole my time like diablo 2 did and maybe no other ever will since i m an adult now ...but DAMN the music the graphics(at the time), the dark atmosphere,i spend entire days without eating because i was playing this i didnt used to shower i didnt made my homework, i didnt put the thrash out i was a mess but i was a happy mess, playing diablo2 at the time was an awesome experience no games stole my time like diablo 2 did and maybe no other ever will since i m an adult now ...but DAMN the music the graphics(at the time), the dark atmosphere, its a terror RPG, you re not supposed to be afraid of playing RPGs but i was and it felt good this is what makes diablo 3 so painful its sooo freaking Happy ;__;7 rip diablo ,i will miss you Expand
  78. Sep 2, 2013
    *Consider this a review of both Diablo 2 and its expansion pack.*
    *Consider this a review of both Diablo 2 and its expansion pack.*
    You know there is a reason why this is one of the most beloved games of all time. It, along with the original and a couple more are the only hack-and-slash games that I would actually consider good. In fact, this is so good that it is one of the 4 games that I think are worth the 10/10 rating and believe me, I don't say that lightly.
    Diablo 2 comes together so amazingly in every single aspect that it's hard to fault even today. Sound, graphics and overall presentation are all great and they hold up surprisingly well for a game that came out in the year 2000. But none of those things even matter, really. Even if they were below average this game would be great because of one single thing; the gameplay.
    It's fun to look at this game and see that Blizzard actually could balance classes and it is laughable that they still haven't been able to do that in World of Warcraft. Every class (including the two expansion-classes) is enjoyable, unique and never over-powered. They all have strengths and weaknesses and the only thing that will make you bad at this game is you. The challenge of the game escalates at a comfortable rate. The game understands that your skills during the first few quests won't be optimal and therefore you are allowed to make mistakes here and there. The challenge does come quickly, however, and that is where a lot of the fun comes in. When you spend 10 minutes trying to defeat a boss and you finally succeed, only to be greeted with the most fantastic loot you've received yet is one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have in a game. And if your play through wasn't hard enough you can start a new game plus mode after you've completed the game. You might think that replaying the same 5 acts again would be repetitive but it surprisingly isn't. The environments are varied between the acts and they are also to a degree, randomized. Don't think that you know where everything is just because you've done it before. And the enemy variety is superbly fine-tuned. New types of foes are introduced constantly and enemies return with new stats, skills, properties and tricks. On your second play through you will find that you cannot even kill some enemies with a certain tactic; to take down an ice-immune you can't cast ice-bolts and hope to kill them. And if THAT wasn't hard enough you can play a third and final time where everything is cranked up to max. If you aren't prepared you will be crushed (trust me, I learned the hard way) and that adds to this game's appeal.
    But why is this challenge so very welcome? Why is it even fun to play when you die? Because the loot is insane. The rare items you find will have magical properties that actually make a difference. You can receive skills that aren't even available to your class. You can pick up a sword that shoots fire-balls and it's just epic to behold.
    I can't even count how many hours I've put into this game and it would be an insult to not give it a 10/10. That doesn't mean it's perfect but it is so amazing that the flaws are completely overshadowed and barely noticeable.
  79. Apr 25, 2013
    Over a decade since its release, this game is still sold on retail shelves. What does that tell you? It's a great game, that's why. One of the best games ever made, and is surely on my top 10 list of the greatest games of all time. With the LOD expansion, well, it's even better. My reason for not giving a perfect score of 10 is because of the lack of quests. They are all the same, so thatOver a decade since its release, this game is still sold on retail shelves. What does that tell you? It's a great game, that's why. One of the best games ever made, and is surely on my top 10 list of the greatest games of all time. With the LOD expansion, well, it's even better. My reason for not giving a perfect score of 10 is because of the lack of quests. They are all the same, so that aspect gets very repetitive. But that is it, period. The rest of the game is just a blast. It's creepy, fun, addictive and will never get old. Don't miss playing this game. It's a gem. Expand
  80. Jul 30, 2013
    I no longer support Activision /Blizzard in anyway. But this game is Amazing, and was developed by the people who made torchlight2.. If you are interested in Diablo3 don't buy that train wreck of a scam, buy this....
  81. Sep 2, 2013
    8/10. This game is an absolute classic, and due to the immense amount of variation in builds and styles, this game is still a load of fun to play.

The graphics suck for today's age, true, but it came out *eleven* years ago. It's still a great game, although I don't like the latter system on battle net in the slightest. Diablo 3 failed to live up to this game, so I bounced back to it

Diablo 3 failed to live up to this game, so I bounced back to it quite quickly.
  82. Oct 25, 2013
    When i first played this on my friends computer. I was hooked from the start. The atmosphere with the music. Monsters creaming when slayed. And i was never actually an RPG fan to begin with. I love it because it simple to pick up, understand to play and have fun. From the visual aspect i still consider it to be one of the best art. And the loot i can never get enough from the loot.When i first played this on my friends computer. I was hooked from the start. The atmosphere with the music. Monsters creaming when slayed. And i was never actually an RPG fan to begin with. I love it because it simple to pick up, understand to play and have fun. From the visual aspect i still consider it to be one of the best art. And the loot i can never get enough from the loot. Deffenly one of the best. Expand
  83. Aug 5, 2014
    Diablo II wasn't as dark and as atmospheric as the original Diablo, but it had much more content, much more variation in classes and different gameplay and skills and it was just so much fun. This is one of my most overplayed games of all time, I must have finished Diablo 2 like 30 times, all the different classes, higher difficulties, different runs, the replayability was extremely strongDiablo II wasn't as dark and as atmospheric as the original Diablo, but it had much more content, much more variation in classes and different gameplay and skills and it was just so much fun. This is one of my most overplayed games of all time, I must have finished Diablo 2 like 30 times, all the different classes, higher difficulties, different runs, the replayability was extremely strong with this one, especially if you add local multiplayer to the mix, things were just getting insane and it's still fun to this day. I still prefer the first Diablo, but even this one has the moments, Kurast Jungle and especially the entire Desert Act 2 was fantastic. I usually don't care about cinematics, but the movie parts in this game were just incredible, still remember it until this day, the rise of Mephisto I got goosebumps every single time I saw that. The last good Diablo game, D3 was a joke compared to the previous 2. 10/10 Expand
  84. Dec 27, 2013
    Most addicting game ever created. No time for a review, must reach level 99.

Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
    Your review must be at least 150 characters long.

85. Feb 8, 2014
    A legendary game, Diablo 2 is a revolution for rpg games. If you call yourself a gamer, you must play this masterpiece. Unfortunately, we can't see the same success in Diablo 3. Shame on you Blizzard!
  86. Apr 5, 2014
    This is the greatest hack and slash game I've ever played. It has a good story, interesting setting, dark moody atmosphere, and great combat. This can be considered one of the best of this genre and really defined most modern RPG hack and slash games. It's highly addictive and still holds up to this day as you tend to forget the graphics quality and bad path finding.
  87. Jul 13, 2014
    An RPG game for the ages. Fun fast paced combat with a variety of different skills and items. Diablo II has a great story and a good dark atmosphere to go with it. As it is over 10 years old it has aged and has a few things that are outdated, but still it holds up after all these years. Amazing replay value.
  88. Jun 12, 2012
    My favourite game,its addictive,awesome,epic and dark.
    Far better then D3.
    This was my first game i really played for a long time(4 years) It had some potion/clickfest,but it gave you a real slaughtering action,(With whirlwind u just massacred through hores of demons,in D3 u cant use that skill cause u die.) And items are awesome too,i had all of sets except paladin's griswold,but still it
    My favourite game,its addictive,awesome,epic and dark.
    Far better then D3.
    This was my first game i really played for a long time(4 years)
    And items are awesome too,i had all of sets except paladin's griswold,but still it gives a feeling:"I did much into this game"

So,if you're new at gaming don't compare to D3!
    First play D2!
  89. Jan 1, 2013
    Diablo 2 - Let the addiction begin. Pure epicness on the whole. So much heart went into this game that the only sorry part of it is that we'll never get another game like it ever. They never made this game to milk money out of you the more you played it. Yet, the core gameplay is easy to pick up and if you want to continue to learn more about what you can do there is just soooo muchDiablo 2 - Let the addiction begin. Pure epicness on the whole. So much heart went into this game that the only sorry part of it is that we'll never get another game like it ever. They never made this game to milk money out of you the more you played it. Yet, the core gameplay is easy to pick up and if you want to continue to learn more about what you can do there is just soooo much material online about it its not funny.

There is no way I can review this title and cover it. It simply has to be played to be believed. Just be prepared to manage lots of cool items that you can share with your many characters or friends. You can thank the old team of Blizzard North for this gem, pity the geniuses at Blizzard dismantled them. Btw, don't bother with Diablo 3 or any of the current Blizzard products. Different company different product lines, meaning pure rubbish.
  90. May 15, 2012
    Well, after playing Diablo III, I decided to come back and review one of my older favorite games. This game would always have me hooked, restarting my account, getting to level 50 or so, get bored and quit. Eventually I would return and do the same exact thing... for 10 years. It's easy to say this is one of the greatest games I have ever played, and it still remains so.
  91. Jul 18, 2012
    This game took the premise of a dungeon-crawling game and simply made it better. The combat and graphics were excellent (for 2000), and the three difficulty levels made it so you could keep developing the same character for a ridiculously long time while still being challenged. The story is goofy, but who needs a complex story when you could be fighting big glowing demons, and slaughteringThis game took the premise of a dungeon-crawling game and simply made it better. The combat and graphics were excellent (for 2000), and the three difficulty levels made it so you could keep developing the same character for a ridiculously long time while still being challenged. The story is goofy, but who needs a complex story when you could be fighting big glowing demons, and slaughtering hordes of little goblin guys? Expand
  92. May 26, 2011
    Diablo II is step back from the original. It lacks the heavy, dark atmosphere of the original, and somehow the action has become even an more mindless and frantic clickfest, with larger areas and more enemies. The biggest offense though is the change to the single player mode, as the game was designed from the ground up for multiplayer. Enemies and bosses now respawn and the entire gameDiablo II is step back from the original. It lacks the heavy, dark atmosphere of the original, and somehow the action has become even an more mindless and frantic clickfest, with larger areas and more enemies. The biggest offense though is the change to the single player mode, as the game was designed from the ground up for multiplayer. Enemies and bosses now respawn and the entire game world resets after you reload a single player game, and you cannot progress through the game unless you use the waypoint system. This is fine for multiplayer, but it unacceptable for single player, forcing offline players to tediously fight through areas they've already been to before. And of course, a constantly resetting game world kind hurts the atmosphere of the game also. But even the online multiplayer mode on Battle.net isn't all that great either as most online players are only concerned about item collecting and leveling up their characters, and so the vast majority of players just rush through the game as fast a possible, often skipping entire Acts, and these "rushes" are facilitated by the game's waypoint system. Blizzard sacrificed the single-player experience in favour of an improved multiplayer experience, but the game became failure in terms of both single player and multiplayer. Expand
  93. May 24, 2012
    Really good game, not as good as the first but still fun and enjoyable, the story is good and the gameplay is fun, the only thing i didnt like are some of the attacks from some characters that are just ridiculous and overpowered, it feel like i was playing some anime game which takes away some of the realism the first game brought.
  94. May 31, 2012
    Positive points : * Decent story for a hacknslash game. Ok, it is simple and full of cliches, but the dark atmosphere is nice and it is so much better than the pure lack of story in many games of that time. * The skill trees system is just perfect. Simple but effective. (and it was later copied by half the game designers on the planet) * Hours and hours of pure fun. * Excellent cinematicsPositive points : * Decent story for a hacknslash game. Ok, it is simple and full of cliches, but the dark atmosphere is nice and it is so much better than the pure lack of story in many games of that time. * The skill trees system is just perfect. Simple but effective. (and it was later copied by half the game designers on the planet) * Hours and hours of pure fun. * Excellent cinematics for its time. * Highly addictive Negative points : * The randomness of the level design adds nothing to the game. It makes the maps seem blank, soulless and illogical without adding real replay value. * Unbalanced difficulty. Some tough fights among a lot of easy monster-bashing requiring no special skills. * Sometime, while playing, you suddenly realize how repetitive the action is. But it does not last long. * Highly addictive Total : Off course it has completely outdated graphics and purely repetitive gameplay, but it is terribly fun and enjoyable nonetheless. An old imperfect game really still worth playing. It defined the hacknslash category. It still does. Expand
  95. Sep 24, 2013
    A classic, that reminds us of a time when games were made for the game player, not for the profits of investment bankers. Diablo II also reminds us that we live in a present (2013) where standards are lower than ever, as this masterpiece received an 8.8 in aggregate reviews...the same score that Diablo III got more than a decade later (and part 3 was a terrible game with a horribleA classic, that reminds us of a time when games were made for the game player, not for the profits of investment bankers. Diablo II also reminds us that we live in a present (2013) where standards are lower than ever, as this masterpiece received an 8.8 in aggregate reviews...the same score that Diablo III got more than a decade later (and part 3 was a terrible game with a horrible pay-to-win auction house, and dumbed down gameplay). Diablo II is a far superior game to its sequel, even now, and should be played. Expand
  96. Dec 6, 2014
    First time playing it am completed entire game, but am unable to finish it second time. Its because am feel that only first act look good and then it going downhill. Diablo 1 and Torchlight 1 are best and am rather play them again than replay D2. Am actually played D1 several times and few times D2 its first part until desert. Its unable to keep me longer. Actually with Dungeon Siege 1 IFirst time playing it am completed entire game, but am unable to finish it second time. Its because am feel that only first act look good and then it going downhill. Diablo 1 and Torchlight 1 are best and am rather play them again than replay D2. Am actually played D1 several times and few times D2 its first part until desert. Its unable to keep me longer. Actually with Dungeon Siege 1 I have the same problem where first half of game was very interesting and then am pushed if forward bored like hell. That diversity in not necessary rather they should make more interesting dungeons in gothic atmosphere. Am actually have some slight plans to full replay D2 by new character as there is no better H&S there. By comparison to other I may tell that Diablo 2 is actually best game so my initial boring to it raise from 4/10 to 8/10 Its just not better H&S RPG than old good Diablo LOL Expand
  97. Mar 8, 2014
    I just want to say that we are in 2014 now and that I never found a better game than Diablo 2 yet. This game made me addict to online games. This is the best way to express your agressivity. Just go PK some noobs arround in hardcore.
  98. MichaelU.
    Feb 18, 2008
    A mediocre rpg. First of all, the graphics stink. Even when it was first released, the graphics were not that great. Another thing is the size of towns. The very first place you go to is a laughably small camp with about 10 people there. The rest of the space is filled with monsters and stuff. While the second and third towns are bigger, you are still left with the feeling that you are A mediocre rpg. First of all, the graphics stink. Even when it was first released, the graphics were not that great. Another thing is the size of towns. The very first place you go to is a laughably small camp with about 10 people there. The rest of the space is filled with monsters and stuff. While the second and third towns are bigger, you are still left with the feeling that you are lonely. Simply killing monsters and collecting items is fun for quite a while, but by the time you reach the third act, it gets quite boring. The skill system is cool, but it is very easy to completely mess up your character and have the wrong skill combo. The combat is either extremely easy or insanely hard, there isn't really an in-between. at one point your slaughtering enemies and then a special monster comes and nearly kills you. Altogether, this game was fun for a while, but got boring soon. This game is best for those who don't like thinking much and just want to battle. For the rest of you: this is a fun little game, but be prepared to get bored sometime. Expand
  99. Personwhoboughtit
    Dec 7, 2002
    Entertaining for a week, maybe. It really is just boring and I played the first one too. It really is just a repetative game. People who like it THINK they are having fun, but it really just gets old fast.

Held back from being an EXCELLENT game by the fact that it features no really interesting characters or roleplaying, it only has a few simple quests, its story is paper thin, it has a few technical issues, Battle.net is unreliable, and the gameplay is ultimately shallow and repetitive.
  2. Don't steal, but lie and cheat if necessary. As a gamer, it's your duty to own Diablo II. [Aug 2000, p.75]
    If you're going to buy one role playing game this year then this has to be it.