3.9

1. May 15, 2012
    What a terrible game. The story mode can be finished in 2 hours; you will be left grinding same dungeons over and over for that 'rare loot'. At the same time, someone can pay real money to purchase that item instantly from the real money auction house. I would stay away from this game if you want to keep the video game industry innovating in the right direction. If games avoid paying for games like this, they will be heard and developers will refrain from making games that require 'always online' single player. Granted, online connectivity isn't a big deal, but there is always that time your internet may be out and you want to play on single player (I vowed I would never buy a game after Starcraft 2 and it's online activation/limited access single player one day when I couldn't play when I didn't have internet connection). Regardless, the game seems like it was developed in 6 months, and not 11 years. I gave this game a 0 to even up the scores as there will be drones that give this game 10/10. Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    Briefly this is not Diablo. This is a bad version of WoW. No more darkness and grit. Instead we have a game stripped to the bare bones of simplicity and bright colors. That is if you can even log on. And then hope you do not crash. Something as simple as equipping a shield on your templar companion if you are a DH means game crash. Stay away from this horrid crap. One question to the pathetic money grubbers at Blizzard: You had this same thing happen during the stress test and you knew how many preorders sold yet you still could not devote enough servers to handle it? Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    helo i this this game is bad caus le monky fa, and not gut pvp n stuf so i hop it be beter soon so i can buy and pley this game pls no buy it no good now
  4. May 15, 2012
    I would love to write a full review, but I can't log into my single player game. Nice intro though. The issues will be mostly resolved within a week or two, but this shouldn't need to be an issue.

Customers shouldn't be penalised for buying a game. As Gabe Newell said, publishers need to offer a better deal than the pirates do. Blizzard are failing at this right now.
  5. May 15, 2012
    Come on, we can't EVEN review the game you know!?!?!?

Its pretty obvious, Blizzard is how old? How many patch day crashes, launch day crashes, and other things have they dealt with? Don't you think, with what could be their hugest release ever, they maybe should get it right?
    Vanilla Wow BC WOTLK Cata SC2 Any major wow patch
    All of those have been marred by issues. When I buy a game, I
    want to go play it, right **** now. I gave you your $60, now let me play my **** game. Now, not in three hours when you decide to pull your heads outta your asses. Expand
  6. May 15, 2012
    To everyone saying "you can't judge the game by the server troubles..." Let me tell you, you can.

Blizzard made a KEY decision to put Diablo 3 as an "online only" game, despite it being a capable game for LAN / single player.

With that decision comes both positives and negatives, and I'm sure reviews will cover the positives in great detail. You can't make a cool auction house without
    server authority/validation. You can't make it an eSport with awesome PvP without a server authority on gear and other stuff.

But there are also negatives, and the big one is the one we're experiencing tonight. If you insist on using a server, you're going to screw players over with server problems.

So yes, remember that this was a key decision, and that Blizzard should be called out on it, because there's really no excuse.
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    I have played over 100 hours of this game only to be stone walled because I don't have several hundred dollars for the Real Money AH or millions of gold to gear my barbarian in ACT 4 gear just so I can progress into act 2. Melee is completely at a dis-advantage in this game and besides that. It is extremely dumb ed down with no skill points or talent points it is nothing but a linear ARPG with limited action after you beat the game once. How much fun is farming the same 4 acts to get to level 60 then at level 60 you get to farm act 1 inferno that has a 2% chance to drop gear that is even level 60 most of it that drops prevents you from progressing sense it is the same exact thing you can get from act 3 hell.

This game was an extreme disappointment and should be sued for false advertising. i wonder when the beta version will stop being sold and we can purchase the real release in 2013
  8. May 15, 2012
    There is a lot of people giving the game a bad score because the servers are acting up, I however, will cast my focus on the core aspects of the game.

Diablo 3 is an action RPG where you create a hero to battle the fiends of Hell and in the end kill the final boss Diablo. The game is very well polished, but the game also lack many major elements to create a fun game experience; There is
    absolutley zero costumization and the game is overly linnear. The lack of innovation makes this game more a money grabber for Blizzard than an actual fun experience. Blizzard is slowly convergning towards EA in greed and Bioware in game design. Expand
  9. May 15, 2012
    Error 37... So no singleplaying for me... So I just sit here and wait or I play another game in the meantime... I don't know... Torchlight maybe?....... 'nuff said........ I may write more and change the score if and when I'll be able to play it...
  10. May 15, 2012
    Perfect example of why DRM is ruining the video game industry, and Blizzard is leading the way. Absolutely disgusting. Blizzard makes millions upon millions and still can't seem to treat paying customers the way they deserve to be treated.
  11. May 15, 2012
    If You want to waste money, this is Your choice. The game offers a wide variety of errors upon login attempts. In addition, there is no feedback whatsoever from Blizzard at their forums. DO NOT BUY!
  12. May 15, 2012
    wow what is this i paid for?? so bad, cannot log in or do anything without a stupid internet connection. thank god amazon let me return it. diablo one was awesome, diablo 2 was ok, but this is crap. no more blizzard games ever!
  13. May 15, 2012
    For those of you who believe that a majority of these reviews are troll reviews in order to tarnish the game's overall appeal are sorely mistaken. If anything, its the positive reviews that need to be called into question. The only thing that I had seen so far in my entire time attempting to play this game has been the message "Error 37." This game's DRM is so incredibly overboard that one cannot even play the singleplayer without needing an internet connection.

I feel that the score of 0 is appropriate because there isn't anything to play. This is not a game. It's a $60 piece of trash. Save yourself the buyers remorse.
  14. May 15, 2012
    I cant believe I waited 12 years and spent 80 bucks for this, I cant even play this crap right now because of maintenance ???!!! I JUST WANT TO PLAY SINGLE PLAYER !!!! WHY WONT YOU LET ME !!!!!
  15. May 15, 2012
    It's one of the greatest blunders of the year (if not the biggest). It doesn't improve anything from Diablo II, It has WoW graphics and it's 2 hours long. Also you need online to play singleplayer, what the **** I mean, this sucks.
  16. May 16, 2012
    DRM destroyed this game for me. Blizzard is basically the Google of online gaming, at this point. I can't be convinced that they are so incompetent as to have the exact same result with every game they release. I suspect they are intentionally sandbagging their launches to drive demand down until it can be met by server capacity. I really wish I hadn't bought this game.

Crackpot
    theories aside the game itself feels more like a tribute to Diablo than an actual part of the series. The gameplay would have seemed modern and innovative if it had been released 10 years ago but compared to the current crop of Diablo-a-likes it's just sort of bland. The level of difficulty is frustrating in that the majority of the game is a clicky snooze fest until you're awoken by some random miniboss instakilling you. But hey, at least there's an auction house, right?

Anyway... of the two points I'm awarding this game, one comes from the fact that it aroused my nostalgia for its predecessors... which was enjoyable. The second is for the beautiful environments that act as the game's setting. The graphics might be a little dated but the sense of scale and wonder evoked by the game world is actually quite lovely.
  17. May 15, 2012
    This is what happens to a series when it gets bought out by a corporation solely to make money. Enjoy the DRM, $60 price tag, and dumb downed/water downed gameplay mechanics.
    The score of 1 is for effort. Thank you Activison for ruining CoD, WoW, and now Diablo.
  18. May 15, 2012
    It's a shame Blizzard would take an amazing series with such a devoted fan base and bastardize it in such a way. No pvp outside of arenas is a joke, real money auction house is a joke, and lack of offline play is a joke. I don't think anyone in the developing team ever even played Diablo 1 or 2. Blizzard went out of it's way to appeal to World of Warcraft players, and it is painfully obvious. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU ENJOYED DIABLO 1 OR 2!!!! Expand
  19. May 15, 2012
    I can not even begin to describe my disappointment, the entire game is a bug. EA servers are terrible and there speed is at a crawl. Offline gameplay, lol nope.flv
  20. May 16, 2012
    This game is about an 8 or a 9 when you can play it, but as a single player game with an always on connection it thus far deserves no better than a 1. Single player games which you get lagged out of, or can't log in because servers are too busy aren't single player games at all. If Blizz wanted to make this always on, they should have just made this World of Diablo and called it an MMO.
  21. May 16, 2012
    Game dont work man. Whats worse is that it seems fairly fun and addictive, kinda ruined when you can play for about an hour and the servers go down. From my count Ive had approximately 4 interruptions in about 6 hours of play over 2 days. Im sure there have been many more for others.
    The online only is frankly ridiculous for a single player game, and having latency in a point/twitch
    game like this is just awful. Expand
  22. May 15, 2012
    I played this game during open beta. I was so hyped up from the first murmurs while playing Diablo 2. However this game, like my name implies, has failed horribly. I honestly think Blizzard took no pride in the original Diablo series and made this game a cookie cutter for money, I might have given it a 1/10 if it was for the lulz. The story was horrible, the character creation is horrible, you can't even play single player. I think what we learned here is that if we buy games in the future, To stay away from Blizzard Expand
  23. May 15, 2012
    I've spent more time TRYING to play than I have playing it. The DRM is particularly painful since I'm going the single player route. That said, my negative score is based non on the hours of trouble and annoyance that are well documented here, but the fact that the game is mediocre and simply trading on the DIablo brand. Character creation is ridiculously weak. The removal of the ability to choose your skills and apply your attributes really damages the feeling that the character is mine. I have nothing personal invested but who knows...maybe if I actually get to play that might change. Expand
  24. May 26, 2012
    A story that the fans cracked literally years before release, difficulty-setting with gear-dependance that had the AH in their sights since day one, epically failed launch and still on-going with latency roller-coasters, unresponsive controls and just obnoxious enemies around every corner.

The philosophy that Jay used to "Turning people hardcore" by making a game impossible to play later
    stages without dipping money into the auction house is no way to please customers. It feels forced, necessary and dumb. If you want to make people "hardcore gamers", make a game addictive and fun instead of this miserable pile of **** which guarantees death, disappointment and endless grinding accompanied by an extremely lacking service lever after level. As far as the appeal go, graphics are extremely outdated and just like Wow, no matter how much you polish them, they will still look old along with a REPETITIVE story accompanying REPETITIVE game-play with a REPETITIVE set of maps that has no true "randomization" involved besides a small pool of maps and don't get me started on the music. Bye bye Matt. What's blizzard's first thought? FILL EVERYTHING WITH AS MUCH ORCHESTRA AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE BECAUSE THAT'S ALWAYS A GOOD MOVE. Thanks for leaving me hanging in over 10 years just to kick me in the balls, blizz. Expand
  25. Sep 21, 2012
    I gave up on Diablo 3, i really dislike the direction that the series moved in with the addition of the auction house, the always online connection needed, and the way they simplified the RPG aspects. I ended up removing it from my hard drive.
  26. May 15, 2012
    I am so angry that I can't get enough of it!! With extreme exasperation I am telling that I like what I am seeing so far however my anger can't suppressed any longer so I am going ahead and be blunt and very harsh: It exceeded all my expectations! How dare you, Blizzard, for making a game actually fun to play, I really hoped you would never be capable of doing it even after these long years of waiting and then this!? Unbelievable! What were you thinking when you created this gem and possible piece of new reference for this genre!? A thousand curses upon you for actually making an intuitive interface and learned from the clunky approach you exposed us to in Diablo 2! Don't get me started with the skill and rune system, with madness troubling my mind I have to yet to find out the many more choices and dynamics it has to offer, you didn't even dare to gamble, you outright tossed the old cookie-cutter-inducing skill system out of the window!? With fiery rage coursing through my veins I am having troubles of expressing the sheer ingenuity of creating this annoyingly well-thought out crafting system. At least my ill temper I should not overlook the graphical aspect which while not sporting the highest fidelity makes me seethe with incredible anger about it still looking well-crafted and could you please not try to lower yourself a bit, why does it always have to be the highest quality when it comes to sound!? Such indigenously good quality shall not be left unmentioned to the world! With unfathomable hatred I am looking forward of spending many times playing this game! I am through with waiting, I've had enough of it, finally it is done and too much dismay it didn't disappoint. Wrathfully yours, Mr.Unbiased. Expand
  27. May 15, 2012
    Very bad internet connection and bad graphic just stops this game to be the best rpg this year,very disappointing game finger down.This game isn't worth so long waiting.For all of you out there better play one GREAT GAME which is called MAX PAYNE 3,BTW I am playing it on Xbox 360 and the game is great i am jus sad because the game doesnt have better graphic,consoles can have much better graphic than thi but overall the graphic is very good.But Diablo 3 sucks at every look Expand
  28. May 15, 2012
    Huge disappointment. The game is boring like hell. It's not diablo, it's a casual game like Actimoney knows how to make... Blizzard is definitively dead. Really sad.
  29. May 15, 2012
    Long live Valve the last true legendary AAA development that has yet to disappoint, sell out the hardcore gamers, and smile while pretending that they not screwing us over. I've never felt compelled to review a game till now. I paid top dollar for frustration. Been trying to log in for hours without success. This is not only a massive embarrassment for Blizzard but for me too. I was stupid enough to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt that they would make a MMO in the guise of single work in a seamless manner - in the least prepare for obvious mass impact on the servers at launch - when I knew it was BS that I had to play on-line. I onced loved Blizzard. Now I HATE Blizzard and refuse to support them again. Expand
  30. May 15, 2012
    Pre-Ordered just to sit through repeated denials of login, game errors, and general letdown.

Aww, Bliz. You got me again. I should have known better.
  31. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've actually managed to start up the single player campaign, here's my updated review. To the relief of Diablo afficionados, the third installment is very much a successor to the previous games with gameplay and graphics very reminiscent of Diablo 2. The very similar level and mob design seem a bit too much of a deja vu scenario though, and could have benefited from a tad bit different direction, in my opinion.

The story seems a bit burdened by the predecessors as well, since it shares too much of the same characters and locations from the previous games. Many of the NPCs make an appearance, like Deckard Cain, Leoric or Lachdanan. As for the other characters, you'll bump into your run-of-the-mill merchants and blacksmiths that will sell you goodies and repair your gear, characters that are vital to the storyline, and the commoners, standing there chatting away.

As you progress through the game, you'll be given the option of hiring henchmen, who are limited in what they can do but are a pretty cool nonetheless, since they can interact with your character, making the world feel more alive, and are a nice diversion as you roam through the dungeons by yourself.

The hack 'n slash aspect of the game is as good as ever, and killing and looting mobs feels very satisfying. The enemies themselves are colored by threat just like in the previous games, with the regulars being the weakest and the bosses being the toughest. As far as AI goes, there are some nice mechanics going on, like rare mobs pulling the unaware player straight into another group of enemies. The boss fights are very enjoyable to fight through as well, so no complaints there.

Another nice addition is the semi destructible environment, in which you have the option to use various world objects to your advantage, such as dropping chandeliers on unaware mobs standing under it.

The character classes are fun to play and seem very well balanced, though the limited character customization is a bit disappointing. You have two basic attack modes executed by left and right clicking, with up to four additional skills, such as healing yourself, or blinding enemies for a short period of time.

Don't have too much to say about the graphics department, since I've found that it does the job and makes for some very decent ambience and atmosphere. Again, there's some very heavy cues from its predecessors, and some levels feel like you've seen them before. The character art is well done though, and I've found myself admiring the various animations.

The sound and music are good as well; the coin drop ka-ching sounds very satisfying, as do death-throes and other, background sounds. The music is good, although I would've preferred a different track for Tristram than the remixed version of the original theme.

The biggest issue I've got with the game is the ridiculous DRM protection scheme. I can understand that piracy is a problem and that it needs to be dealt with at some level or another, but kicking your paying customers in the nutsack is a recipe for disaster. I could understand this scenario if this was an MMORPG, but forcing the player to have an always on Internet connection for the single player campaign seems too much of a stretch. This really seems more like a management decision though, and blame shouldn't be directed at the developers. In this sense, yeah, I very much liked the game and think it's a very polished experience, but can't give any more points for the sole reason mentioned above.
  32. May 15, 2012
    I've played the beta (single player) and had a blast.
    It might feel a little dated however (besides the pretty look), you cant customize youre characters face/body etc, just a male/female choice. Same thing for how its played. But if you like that it might actually a good thing although die hard diablo 2 players are sceptic aswell. Its a very polished game and so is the gaming experience.
    Cant say much about the story because i havent been that far in.
    Based on the above i bought the game and still rated it low because an uplayable game isnt a game. I've spend more time trying to log in then i actually played it. Ive played MMO's and i have seen launch days but this is ridiculous (plus its not an mmo and i cant even singleplayer).
    Dont know what Blizzard was thinking, they had to know the amount of preorders, they have experience in this sort of thing with wow and sc2 yet they messed up badly. And then they even decided to throw in another mass of trial players at the same time (why not introduce that a week later?).
  33. May 15, 2012
    Today I bought Diablo 3 thinking I would play an outstanding game. But I didn't know Blizzard wouldn't allow me to play, because they were too cheap to buy enough servers for everyone. You don't implement always-on DRM if you can't handle it. I usually don't bother to score games on Metacritic but I'll give this one a 0, because whatever it's worth, I can't play it. This is shameful incompetency and the company deserves every hate from its customers. Expand
  34. May 15, 2012
    Absolutely terrible launch. Blizzard you should hang your heads in shame. Of all the companies I would have expected to be prepared for a large user base it's you. I think you've been poisoned by WoW.
  35. May 15, 2012
    I've tried to play four times today. How many times have I been successful? Zero. My rating of 'one' is because I've never actually gotten to play this game. Always on connection sucks, get rid of the RMT and make a great game.
  36. Jun 26, 2012
    User score on this site is getting lower and lower. To be honest, Diablo 3 deserve that low score. Come to think of it, it has been 5 weeks since diablo 3 was released and their server fixing arent finished yet. I hope that blizzard company will simply rot.
  37. Oct 26, 2012
    I read the reviews. I chose to ignore them. I loved D2 and for some reason figured that the user reviews MUST have it wrong. Turns out the users are the ones who are right; I wish I paid more attention to them. Learn from my mistake! This game is a waste of money and does not follow in the footsteps of its' predecessor.
  38. May 29, 2012
    I created an account to simply write this review about Diablo III. I was a big fan of Diablo I and Diablo II. I remember staying up all night playing and playing to the point where my friends I passed out. Diablo I actually was a birthday gift from my friend and was simply unforgettable. Now fast forward to Diablo III. Here are the reasons why Diablo III should literally be pulled off shelves and reworked:

1. Online Only Mode - To play this game by yourself you must constantly be online. All the time. No matter what. So this means you must rely on Blizzard's servers which are having a hard time with the volume.This also means when they decide to no longer support those servers your game will most likely be dead unless some private server linking occurs and then you're dependent on them.

2. Short - It took hours upon hours of dedicated work to beat the previous Diablos. This one takes no skill what so ever. The game is extremely linear to point of being 'race tracked' through the plot, start to finish.

3. Lack of Complexity - There isn't much in the way customization in the game. That is to say selecting specific skill groups or where to place points to strengthen the character as you see fit. When you level up you are alerted to what is new and you can select it if you wish. Skills points are automatically placed. Just imagine Need for Speed without the ability to customize the paint on the car... Or your only choices in Call of Duty was M16 or... M16 with an ACOG. I'm exaggerating a bit, but only a bit.

4. Atmosphere - The atmosphere of the first Diablos were incredibly dark and bleak. This one isn't exactly rainbows and unicorns, but it's definitely missing the styling queues from before. Example [spoiler kind of] when there is a reprisal of the Butcher, I expected to see piked bodies and blood splashed about. I saw some blood stains, some empty torture devices, a skeleton here and there, but not the disturbing imagery from before. The kind of imagery that made you apprehensive to put your character forward. Remember this game had gore comparable to Hostel at certain points...

5. Story - It's just terrible. It's just so predictable and so bland. Like the corny, "This mystery man is actually... MR. WITHERS!" type of plot.

Now to talk about the good things.

The things I did appreciate was the male/female versions of the classifications, the new classes offered, but to the detriment of not seeing some older classes. I miss the Necromancer. *Sniff, sniff* I thought the cinematics were great and the voice acting was well done. The music was ambient and was placed nicely. There was some annoying repetition with player/companion npc banter, but nothing too bad. I especially liked the new companion interactions with new areas and new people (additional companions you find along the way). It's like the Wizard of Oz! Ha!

Over all this game is terrible. I wouldn't buy another Blizzard game unless there was an ironclad user review that it wasn't absolute drivel. It seems like the total development time was dedicated to creating this auction house, the cinematics and the online only (DRM) with the game itself being slap dashed together. I think what bothers me the most now is the generally favorable reviews from professional critics. How did this game rate so high? Did they play something we didn't?
  39. Sal
    May 15, 2012
    Incredibly disappointing, putting aside the launch issues (Bad form for a multi billion dollar company to not have adequate servers) The dumbed down skill system, lack of any customisation at all (barring gender) Lacklustre voice acting and all round pointless story lead to a game that had great potential being a sub par run for the genre it's series basically invented. Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile are looking like much better choices.

Being forced to be always online is a joke for a game that is mainly a singleplayer run, and solves absolutely nothing. How hard would it be to allow us to create character offline that cannot in any way interract with the online content?

Rated 2, for nostalgia purposes.
  40. Jun 18, 2012
    (Wouldve given it a ZERO but..)

Diablo 3 = Grind to level 60, then grind endlessly for gear with absolutely nothing else to do once your there. Get completely random gear with random rolls with random stats from random things in random places... 99% of which will make you question why it is even in the game. (ie; level60 2-handed weapons dropping in Inferno Act4 with 100-200dps (while
    your gonna get murdered with 1000 dps weapons there.) But wait for PVP you say!? Why? So I can enter a game with some moron that dropped $250 on weapons and items in the Real Money Auction system? No thanks.

Summary: This game is 95~99% gear, and 1~5% skill. Anyone still wanna play it?

Good riddens,
    Someone elses future customer

P.S. The lack of response to combat the RMT spammers from sending friend invites, chat spam, and now whispers has made this alrady horrible game much much worse. Great job Blizzard. Wont EVER buy one of your half completed products ever again, and its because of your amazingly bad CUSTOMER SERVICE that will cement this decision as I submit my refund ticket.
  41. Jul 15, 2012
    The only reason I give this 4 points instead of 0 is because I *did* get ~150 of playtime out of the game, which, based on my videogame-buying philosophy that I want to get at least 1 hour of entertainment per dollar spent on the game, technically means that it was a good purchase. However, the reason I give it such a poor score is because I was expecting to get so much more out of it than I did instead of outright quitting after a month of playing it. Simply put, the game is a colossal disappointment. There is *no* way that it took Blizzard so many years to develop this game's engine, graphics, mechanics, etc. It's painfully obvious that the game, from the ground up, was built around the Real Money Auction House business model, and that's what most of its development time was sunk into. The game is probably fun until you hit level 60 and Inferno Difficulty, when you slowly begin to realize that the game was pretty much solely designed as a cash-grab on Blizzard's part. Feedback for the game has been overwhelmingly negative, but in response to this massive blowback, Blizzard has only made changes to the game that I believe only served to make the game even worse and even more of a disappointment. Just ask someone you know who quit, and if they didn't quit before Patch 1.0.3, that patch was almost certainly what pushed them to finally quit (that was the final nail in the coffin for me). It almost looks as if Blizzard is making changes based on what is most likely to force people to use the RMAH. Meanwhile, the Blizzard employees in charge of interacting with the community via the forums remain woefully silent about everyone's main gripes with the game, addressing only things that people largely don't care about, and sometimes being downright condescending to their player base. They really come off as implying "we'll tell you what's fun, and we are making changes to the game based on what we think is fun." It's as if Blizzard is refusing to face up to the fact that most of its fans hate the game and think it's a major disappointment. Many people feel as if they were bait-and-switched, and that they were cheated and lied to, and when one does some detective work pertaining to news about the game's development from years past, it becomes obvious just how many things were shown and then cut out of the game entirely before launch. This has been a major wake-up call for droves of Blizzard's once-loyal fans who auto-purchased all of Blizzard's games. They are starting to realize that this is not the Blizzard we used to know. Unfortunately, all we're dealing with now is another big, faceless game corporation that only cares about its bottom line instead of what its customers want. With Diablo 3 being lambasted from all directions as a major failure and disappointment, and the upcoming WoW expansion being largely regarded as a joke and/or "the death of WoW," it certainly looks like Blizzard is in a downslide, with 2 of its 3 franchises essentially in the toilet. Blizzard better hope it has something damn good up its sleeve with Project Titan. Even though I got so much playtime out of this game before I got fed up and quit, I still feel cheated out of my $60 because I, and everyone, was expecting this game to have so much more longevity. Expand
  42. Jun 6, 2012
    Ugh Possibly The Worst Game Of 2012!
  43. May 15, 2012
    Game had a bery bad launch. The graphics looks like they took WoW and turned it into an isometric game and slapped the name Diablo 3 on it. Very disappointing.
  44. May 15, 2012
    Probably the worst game I've ever played. Does anyone else remember those fine, fine days of hours and hours of playing nothing but Diablo II back in the day? There was nothing better. Now, all of those days are ruined forever with Diablo III, which could quite possibly be the worst game I've played in the past ten years. For starters, the servers are completely broken and flawed, with absolutely no way to get into the game until you've waited more than 30 minutes and blown your brains out with a shotgun from the stress of yelling at your computer screen. On top of that, even when you do get into a game the gameplay is basically just a broken mess and a complete shadow of what Diablo II was. It's weak and unbearable, just sad to say the least. Do yourself a favor and never touch this pile of flaming bear crap. Instead, you might as well just burn down your local gaming retailer for simply stocking the game in the first place. Expand
  45. May 16, 2012
    I thought i brought Diablo 3 not another copy of WoW?
    I love how blizzard decided to dumb this game down, no attribute points, no skill trees?? /end sarcasm.

Very very dissapointed.
  46. May 21, 2012
    Where to start...Well I suppose the likely first place is how horrible the game looks. The cartoon graphics remove any 'horror' from the game entirely. While they add a large amount of gore, it is mostly wasted since the game looks like something you'd watch on Saturday morning. The skill system is dismal. There is zero customization for skills in this game. Why would I ever need to make more than one barbarian, oh that's right, I won't.

The story line is awful, dreadful, and possibly the worst offense this game has done. It's predictable plot and contrite characters are just plain bad. Who approved this script, the ineptness is vast.

Those are just 3 things that make this game awful...besides the always on DRM, Bugs, Glitches, Disconnects, etc.

Couldn't recommend staying far enough way
  47. May 30, 2012
    Up Yours Blizzard. Up yours with my copy of this short, poorly designed game. Online only? Phsck you for that as well. The only possible reason that it's online only is for the DRM that you're refusing to admit to, nothing to do with the poor excuse of an auction house! It's no wonder you're giving this heap of crap out for free with the year long subscription to WoW. It's just that bad and you dorks know it!.. What the hell were the BETA TESTERS DOING IN THIS GAME!?!?!?!?!?!? Not telling us how poor it was going to be, that's for one sure thing... Expand
  48. May 16, 2012
    WORSE DIABLO EVER VERY DISAPPOINTED !!! A) The worse DRM in the gaming history that requires you to be always connected and login with a server even for playing the single player campaign. I have never seen such a fascist and so annoying way from a gaming company to force even the Single player lovers to be always connected and all the time in the net just to play the single player part of the game.....B) Character customization along with the skill tree are far inferior from Diablo 2 and 1....C) Story wise this is a laughable sequel. The game story feels more like a low budget fantasy movie and like some short of soap opera and most characters in the game are forgettable D) The gameplay experience and most scenes makes this game seem more like a World of Warcraft variation than a real Diablo sequel with cartoony dated graphics. The game suffers from low quality textures and low polygon characters and poor animations , from the graphics point of view this new so-called Diablo 3 reminds me some old games from 2004-2005 period. E) WHAT Innovation???? You said innovation ?? Haha do not make me laugh you will not find anything really innovative in this mockery of a sequel.... Blizzard is just milking another cow it seems for the $$$money$$$$. Expand
  49. May 16, 2012
    How is it that a company that pioneered so much with WoW and SC2 can fail so hard with Diablo? I can understand servers going down with WoW; never before in the history of the industry did people see load like that on day one. With Diablo 3, it's been 8 years since WoW, Blizzard should know stuff like server stability by now. Why the hell are the servers all continually down? I can't even play SINGLE PLAYER because of the DRM requiring me to host my one player games on their servers. To anyone reading, please take a note of all the 'official critics' who have reviewed this game with scores like 90/85 etc; these guys are the ones that Blizzard has paid off. I remember back when Blizzard was a good company and they let people LAN games and play one player locally. I don't want to keep ranting so I will close it off. Don't support Blizzard. Don't buy this game. Expand
  50. May 21, 2012
    I'm new to the Diablo franchise and I know part of its appeal is replaying on harder modes with different player types but I can't really recommend this game to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are expecting. Its a short game that seems like it should be on the IPad not the PC and has some serious serious technical flaws. Onto my main complaints. First is its very short, Compared to something like Witcher 2 or Skyrim this game just seems so tiny, it really feels like an IPad game you'd pay £6 for. Even though its short much of the content isn't varied or interesting, particularly in the dungeons.

Also the graphics aren't great, its not even that they're unattractive but rather its that they don't fit in with the dark sinister feel of the story. Finally, despite my rock solid network connection which I play games on regularly, I kept getting kicked out of my own single player game because it claimed it has lost my connection. Each time it did it I lost my progress, starting at the last checkpoint. If it wasn't for this very frustrating nonsense I'd have been completed even quicker.
  51. May 29, 2012
    I made an account for the sole purpose of expressing my anger at the poor quality product I was tricked in to spending my money on. To be fair, the game is quite fun and pretty to look at. It's just that since I purchased it a few nights ago I've only been able to get on the network for a grand total of two hours to play a single player game BY MYSELF. Either it won't let me on, or will tease me for a few minutes before it boots me. I'm glad to see everyones anger at this crap and I hope these crap ratings deter others from purchasing it. If I could return this product I would march down to gamestop and demand my money back. I realize piracy is a complicated issue to control. But I'm getting sick of this whole 'not really owning the things I paid for' thing. I hope the people responsible for screwing this up are having a really bad day. It makes me angry that so many people still crap that companies are having to resort to bs like this. But this isn't the way to do it. I would gladly undergo a slightly more intensive registration process if it meant I could actually play the game I bought without the lag and getting booted. Or not being able to play it at all. I feel like blizzard sold me a product I can't even play. Expand
  52. May 29, 2012
    This game is so horrible, it's frightening. Jay Wilson has managed to turn a game that the world world was eagerly waiting for into a pile of fresh, hot steaming poop. Firstly, online play only has restricted many players from actually accessing the game in the first play, due to Blizzard's horrible preparation and server maintenance issues. RMAH not ready at release, classes not balanced, difficulty levels not balanced. This game is just NOT FINISHED. We are in "open beta". Welcome to the nightmare, this game is trash. Expand
  53. Jun 27, 2012
    I played for about 100 hours on my main character and about 20 hours on the rest of my characters. Unfortunately, as is the standard with Blizzard games, you need to put this amount of time into the game in order to see anything relevant to the actual game. At about Act 4 Hell I discovered that the balance of the game is worked around the Real Money Auction House (RMAH). The reason this is an issue is because pieces of gear are sold for around 100k minimum yet it takes around 2 hours to farm that amount prior to level 60. At 60, the rates increase a bit, but not enough to carry you to gear that will allow progression through Inferno; this gear is sold upwards of 300k gold each piece. All of this would be moot, except that as many others have also noted, the itemization is abysmal. I understand that not every piece is going to be usable, but over the course of 60 levels I managed to find only 2 or 3 pieces of relevant "rare" gear. This means that you end up playing a Chinese Gold Farming Simulator or opting into the Pay 2 Win (p2w) model. The story is definitely not worth playing for. However, the one saving grace for the game is Covetous Shen. Absolute gold. At least I was lucky enough to never have any connection issues like other players. Happy I got my refund though, as they (developers) severely broke the game. Expect D2 and be incredibly disappointed. Expand
  54. Jul 24, 2012
    Simply put, AVOID this game. Don't be fooled by Blizzard's big name, they just plain failed with this game. The AH is an insult to this type of game, the crafting is a waste of time, drop rates are absurd and the likelihood that you get something for your class is abysmal. If I wanted to grind I'll play WoW, and the worse part of all this was Diablo was almost made into an MMORPG but then they changed that to the game we know and hate. In THAT game the AH would have worked fine, NOT in this game. And then with the Real Money AH, honestly WTF were they thinking, or what were they trying to accomplish here. All I see that was accomplished was tarnishing the good name the was Diablo. Blizzard is dead to me, Diablo is dead to me. 70 Hours played and nothing to show for it, thanks Bliz, and F&%K You. Expand
  55. May 15, 2012
    call of demon/gears of demon is what this game is. everything what was awesome about the second installment of diablo has been taken away and replaced with pure **** DRM, bad servers, boring gameplay very similar to me3, bad voice acting and so on. everything about this game sucks. this game isn't even worth the time and bandwidth to pirate. just leave it and pretend it never existed.
  56. May 15, 2012
    The game appears unfinished. There is a lack of character customization and depth to character development. Little things like not being able to resize or remove the chat box, map options, or the inability to customize the UI are inexcusable for a game these days. The requirement for an internet connection is obviously be a personal preference, the fact that servers have been having issues means they have taken my money and not delivered the product as promised. If this was the first time it had happened for a Blizzard game then you could understand being surprised. However since this appears to happen with all their recent releases it is another example of expecting mediocrity. The blame here lies with their management, allowing failure time and time again is a company culture that didn't use to exist at Blizzard. This proves that Blizzard is no longer Blizzard - it is Activision-Blizzard. Gone are the days of releasing games without bugs that are ready to play. Maybe their new slogan should be "We may be bad, but were better than EA" That seems to be about all I expect from them these days. Expand
  57. May 15, 2012
    5 hours to install...another 5 hours troubleshooting cause of errors in the folders...and another 5 now 6 hours of waiting to enter the server that keeps going in maintenance...buyer beware! you are at the mercy of blizzards online server!
  58. May 21, 2012
    Blizzard is having a good laugh at our expense. A complete disappointment and ripoff. Retail version was terrible to install, invasive registration process, and servers were painfully unresposive. Boxed version weighed down with a blank notepad to give the customer the "illusion" of value. My instincts were to avoid this game, but I gave in to temptation. Avoid this total waste of money, I'm ashamed to have fallen for this scam. Shame on the "professional" reviewers who give this an absurd 100. !f nothing else Diablo 3 indicates which gaming sites are not trustworthy. NO way possible this game deserves a perfect score. **** YOU Joystiq! Reviewers/gamers awarding Diablo 3 with inflated scores are giving game companies the green light to r@pe consumers in the future. My rating: 5/10 for Native Mac OSX support, -5/10 everything else. Total score = 0/10. Expand
  59. May 15, 2012
    A bland game, shackled with horrendous DRM. Even without the DRM, which prevents you from playing offline, the game is consistantly bland, not nearly worth the generous $60 price tag Blizzard happily slapped the game with. And I don't even need to tell you the login screen errors everyone has been getting. Overall, it is a complete disaster.
  60. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard basically ruined the Diablo series, with an internet connection needed and their servers **** up. If you liked Diablo 1/2, you will hate Diablo 3. The plot is Cliche #34, and really is bad. Don't waste your money.
  61. Dai
    May 15, 2012
    The game is decent (though not quite "good"), but is crippled by the inability of the servers to handle the entirely unnecessary online-only requirement. It's a nonfunctional product at this point, and people expect better.
  62. May 15, 2012
    My first review gave this game one point because it is technically a game. In fact, I'd like to take that point away. This is not a game. It's a scam.
  63. May 16, 2012
    Activision Blizzard has failed to design their game properly.
    If you can get past the flaws of the game (legalized gold selling via their auction house, etc) -- there's the hard fact that their servers have to be up for me to play the game -- even in single player.

I'm asking for a refund. If I don't get one, I'm denying the charges to my credit card. Goodbye, Bliz.
  64. May 19, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun, but produces nothing new to the gaming community. Controls are archaic, camera is clumsy and graphics feel plainly odd. I'm sorry, but this game does nothing to bring technology or gaming forward.
  65. May 20, 2012
    I want my money back....

Took everything we loved in diablo 2 and flushed it down the toilet....

Really blizzard.. Everyone; the game is no where near worth it.
  66. May 21, 2012
    I'm a Diablo's series fan since Diablo 1 and I don't like this third game. I am a player of WoW too, and this Diablo 3 is more like a WoW. Oversimplified in general: storyline, skill, stats (no points to distribute)... Very simplified graphic, without detail, empty stages. Connection and installation errors (not the worst for me but it should be mentioned). Artwork and design very well done and so much hype but the game content is not enough. Casual game. Expand
  67. May 25, 2012
    I was willing to overlook the connection problems, the poor itemization, the terrible story, and the general dumbing down of characters. What I'm not willing to overlook however, is that my account has been hacked half a dozen times now, without my account itself being compromised. Blizzards servers themselves are vulnerable to attack, effectively destroying any effort put into the game. Activision Blizzard keeps ignoring the problem, blaming players who "must have" given up their login info somehow, when I'm absolutely certain that is not the case. Do not buy this game. I wanted to love it, but I can't. Activision has effectively destroyed any reputation for quality Blizzard had with the release of this game, and it's so incredibly sad. Expand
  68. May 29, 2012
    So it's been out for a while now, if you are still up in the air about getting it. I would hold off, maybe just skip it and get torchlight or something. Diablo 3 is good, it's comparable to D2. This is the problem, D2 if anyone remembers was pretty unremarkable until LOD was released. This is why I say to go and play something else, and wait till D3 has an expansion. Buy it then, right now you're pretty much joining a $60 Long term beta. Complete with outages and game breaking patches. This is my first and probably last review, but with always online requirements breaking a game so consistently, we all need to tell companies that this will not pass and that cheaters, software pirates are their issue, and their issue alone. Oh and on the no LAN support issue, I played this game at a LAN it was a boot fest, I guess the LAN is dead. Sorry kids you missed out on a real great thing. Expand
  69. May 29, 2012
    Activision Blizzard's greed knows no bounds. Even though they knew they would sell millions of copies regardless of piracy, they still put in one of the most draconian DRM systems EVER. Just to make a little bit more profit on their already huge profit, they saw fit to screw over all their legitimate customers. The game itself is your typical hack and slash dungeon crawler, not much more to say there. Expand
  70. May 30, 2012
    If you are considering Diablo 3 you more or less know what you are getting in to. You pick a character, fight hordes of monsters, and loot their stuff. But what you might not know is that Diablo 3 is filled with poor design choices that seriously detract from the game play.

The biggest issue for me is the pacing. Blizzard assumes you are going to play the game through three or more
    times with the same character. But the bulk of most gamers experience is the first play through, perhaps with multiple characters. And Diablo's experience there is decidedly lackluster.

When my wizard finished the game at level 30, only 30% of her skill runes were unlocked That meant that although I had played through all the content I was still very restricted in what I could do with my character. To unlock all my skills, I'd have to play the exact same content with the same character two more times, which honestly I'll probably never do.

The order that the skill runes unlocked was also an issue. All of the core skill runes that my wizard used unlocked by the end of act 1, so I spent acts 2 through 4 with little to look forward to when I leveled. My level was just a number, there was no meaningful change. Yes my hit points went up and damage improved, but the monsters scaled up too, so essentially nothing happened.

Blizzard seemed to attempt to correct for the fact that you'd only have a fraction of your skills on the first play through by making the monsters numerous but easy. You will rarely be in any real danger. You just spam your primary attack, and they all die. Boss monsters can be more challenging, but are hit and miss as well - some easy, some of medium difficulty.

As a side effect of the spam your primary attack "strategy" is that the core mechanics of each class become irrelevant. In theory, the core mechanic of my wizard was her arcane power, which was in limited supply and regenerated slowly. However, the primary attacks of the wizard don't use arcane power and were more than sufficient for most everything you came up against, so arcane power didn't actually matter much. I believe that the class mechanics (rage, chi, etc.) have the same issue.

Put all that together and you can see why the experience on the first play through is not very good. Your character changes little after act 1. 90% of your time is spent spamming your primary attack. At the end of the game, you've only unlocked a fraction of your character; to unlock the rest you have to face the above again. And again.

Besides the pacing, there are also numerous design issues that detract from the game.

The skill UI is horrible. Simply horrible. It's confusing and overly complicated, while at the same time somehow managing to be tremendously restrictive in what you can do. The best thing I can say about the skill interface is that you won't have to use it that often past act 1.

Numerous Diablo 1 & 2 features were stripped out to "streamline" the game, but left confusing remnants. For example, identification scrolls are gone, as they were just cluttering up inventories. OK, I'm fine with that. But oddly, you still find items you have to ID, which you do by right clicking on them and waiting half a second. What's the point of that? Is Blizzard paid by the click or something? Similarly, the complex gem, jewel, and rune system has been removed, as it was complicated and required too much inventory management. But they left a modified gem system in which you can level up a gem cutter to be able to combine gems into other gems that you also won't use, because they are pretty much worthless.

Another poor game design component is how Blizzard treats characters and levels. As a player, a character is someone that I want to customize. Maybe I want my wizard to be a fire wizard, or a lightning wizard, or an illusionist. Levels are what I use to do so. But to Blizzard, the character class is the character... all wizards are the same. Same appearance, same voice, same skills, same back story, etc. And levels aren't a way to customize your character, they are a way to restrict content so that you have to put more hours into the game. Very unappealing approach.

Finally, the decision to force you to be connected to the internet... it definitely detracts from your experience. You WILL have to deal with server downtime and lag. And you WILL receive tells from people out of the blue when you just want to veg. It's annoyingly unnecessary.

All in all, I rate Diablo 3 a 4. It's OK at best. I'd pay $20 for it, but it's definitely not worth $60.
  71. May 20, 2012
    This is my third review (second edit). Once again I cannot play the single-player part of the game, due to server issues. From now on, every server issue that prevents me from playing the single-player part (basically any server issue due to DRM solution) will lead to a score reduction.
  72. May 15, 2012
    How is it possible to release a game this broken. First of all it is damn near impossible to play the game with all the Errors and bugs on the server and the un-catering for efficient amount of users to play the game when they made the decision to make the game Online ONLY. Second, the little bit that I did play has nothing compared to what diablo 2 offered 12 years ago. This game seems like a cheap cash in. They took Diablo and made it into a WoWish diablo game.

Look I know that they started to cater for the casual crowd but hell, this game even goes beyond that!!

Do NOT buy this. Atleast wait until the servers are working as they SHOULD be.
  73. May 15, 2012
    As if removing all of the content that made Diablo II enjoyable, Diablo III is a clear demonstration of how Blizzard hardly cares for their fanbase anymore. It is amazing to think that any video game publisher and developer, especially one of the biggest and most impressive, could put out something this ransacked with problems. And this isn't even the Error 27 - the worst is Error 3006. 3004, 3007 and 300008. And when Blizzard finally provides people with some solutions... guess what! The link brings up a 404 Error. Even their solutions have errors.

This is just plain embarrassing and it makes me sick to my stomach to think that so many people have paid money for a game that they can no longer play through no fault of their own. Blizzard told their fans flat-out to just go play other games when they're unable to play Diablo III. Guess what?

That's exactly what I intend to do. Max Payne 3 came out today and that game at least actually WORKS.
  74. May 15, 2012
    Diablows

No Offline Mode, and you have rely on blizzard servers to play which isn't a good thing, don't waste your money, 11 years in the making and this is what you get, very poor.
  75. May 15, 2012
    It's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in a week, and it only made it a pain in the ass for the people who supported your damn game. Furthermore, the game's combat (and other gameplay additions), graphics, and length are a total disappointment. It's literally just a copy + pasted artstyle from World of Warcraft, which is a complete disgrace when you take into accordance the artstyle used in previous Diablo games. The combat is pathetically easy, even on the hardest difficulty, but that's not the huge issue with the gameplay. You can't allocate your own skill points because Blizzard thinks it's audience is stupid, and you can only have up to 4 friends in a map with you at one time. I'm sorry Blizzard, but now I kind of feel like a **** for lending some money to friends for this game, now I can't even play with them. And PvP isn't even on release! What the hell? PvP MADE Diablo 2. And let's not forget the pathetic running time for this game, some koreans did a blind run of Diablo 3 and beat the game in 6 hours. I beat it in 8. Thoroughly disappointed, and I laugh at the "10" reviews that claim this game is perfection and call people who actually criticize the game (for want of better quality) "trolls". I actually put thought and actual valid complaints about the game, when they're only explanation for the "10" is "IGNORE THE TROLLS".

Hah!
  76. May 15, 2012
    So much hype and expectation for a game full of bugs and impossible to play for more than 30 min without errors ,just like bioware did blizzard betray their fanbase
  77. May 16, 2012
    Servers are finally working and this game is amazing. I'm going to be playing this for months, if not years. The gameplay is fast and action packed, the story is really cool and the graphics are pretty, while still keeping true to the Diablo series.
  78. May 15, 2012
    Randomly generated maps, unique monsters, classes that actually play differently from each other, good music, good art.
    What does all this make? A game that SHOULD have a 10 out of 10.
    But it's getting a 2 out of 10... because it requires you to be online to play it. Blizzard was quoted as saying everyone is always online. Well I wasn't over the weekend for several hours & guess who's
    not online right now? Blizzard.
    And so the game has become completely unplayable; barely obtaining a 2 out of 10. I paid $100 based on the public "beta" (which was actually an unfinished demo a.k.a. starter edition as it's now revealed to be) to purchase this game & to continue playing a great series. Even to this day I am still working on my Diablo 2 paladin attempting to get the "Doom runeword" in single player having never played in multi-player.
    Diablo 3's life time is sadly limited... probably to 1 year at which time Blizzard is likely to kill the servers to save money.
    But I'm not working on my Diablo 3 characters... because I can't play as Blizzard isn't online.
    Blizzard thinks they're secure in the fact that I've already bought the game... what they don't realize is, unlike the states, where I live I may still return the product even opened & registered.
    So here's $100 to say I think this can be a great game.... but if it's not playable SOON it'll be $100 saying "scre* off with your anti-consumerism Blizzard"
  79. May 16, 2012
    This game is just another proof of how greedy Blizzard became. Diablo 3 just beat the 60 bucks plank and breached to a new level - 77$ in my region. And what do we get for that price? 1) Poor story. Re-usage of everything that was in Diablo 2, and nothing new. 2) Internet connection needed to play in single player. Screw this, i don't want to not be able to play a game i paid for just because Blizzard servers are screwed up.
    3) No LAN. Nuff said.
    4) All characters look awful. Male Demon Hunter and Mage look like some emo, but definitely not like a world savers. 5) In-game action house is just a way to ruin balance for players. And for Blizzard, it's another way to milk us.
    6) The game is too short. Some Korean beat it in 12 hours and 29 minutes. Wut? Wondering what took Blizzard so long to make that game...
    7) And finally, as 95% of new games on the market, it became casual. Yep, a game for those who don't give a crap about character customization, challenge, and plot. As everyone already said: no skill points to spend, everything upgrades itself just like in World of Warcraft, all abilities unlocking automatically, et cetera. It's not Action-RPG anymore. The RPG part is merely an illusion. The rating you see here, totally explains the quality of this game. And for all those fan-boys out there who gives Diablo 3 more than 6 score: after the "new shiny thing wow effect" fades away, take a closer look, and see for yourself, how awful the game market looks like now.
  80. Jul 3, 2012
    I do enjoy the story of the game, but it seems weighed down by the heavy-handed loot system. Maybe I'm getting old but I can't stay focused on this game. I logged in today after two weeks of non-activity and was surprised at General Chat being constantly filled with gold spammers and no one talking.
  81. Nov 9, 2013
    No feel of "Diablo". Feels like a juvenile adventure game, not a gothic horror. Disappointed to say the least. Hopefully the expansion breathes new life into it.
  82. Jan 20, 2013
    so the game director is fired... (jay gayson) good news. i laughin so hard to the position they are in. this game born with a malfunction. it is almost dead by now.

where to begin? everything, every decision, every **** step they have made is a mistake about that game. jay "**** diablo killer" wilson got fired and you cant answer his post twice. your answer gets deleted immediately by
    mods. i mean what the **** it has been said million **** times whats wrong with the game. even now even after rob **** promo said "please make some **** constructive critism" they keep ignore playerbase. drown in your own **** dickheads Expand
  83. May 19, 2012
    Ugh - this is my first review and I forgot to slide the slider down to 0. Why can't we edit out reviews?

I'm a huge fan of Diablo II, and still play it today - it's the most atmospheric and playable game I've ever come across on PC. This is a pale imitation in every respect. The graphics are cartoony, and there's very little atmosphere at all. When you're playing a gothic medievel type
    game and all the items pop up in a perfect clean ariel typeface there's something very wrong. Far too much effort has gone into fancy graphics and far too little has gone into playability. It's a grind-fest geared solely towards the acquisition of loot at the expense of everything else. Blizzard have run with the theory that bigger is better, but when faced with an onslaught of thousands of items with an infinite array of properties the whole thing just becomes meaningless. And that's not even mentioning their despicable corporate attitude resulting in the ridiculous concept of single players being forced to play online at all times. This is a spectaculer fail, and a disappointing glimpse into the future of PC gaming. Expand
  84. Sep 23, 2012
    Terrible game. Absolute insult to customers, especially fans of diablo 1 and 2. Game completley ignores what made the first two great. Childish graphics, removal of sill trees and attribute points, loot is awful and predetermined as opposed to randomized loot like the originals, elimination of randomized dungeons(an aspect of the first two which was considered revolutionary), a ridiculous auction house and an even more absurd real money auction house that forces you to dish out real money to recieve any gear that is decent, a development team that repeadedly insults its custormers by ignoring them and telling them how they should play, and the worst part...No offline mode. If you enjoy terrible game design and being treated like a child, then this game is for you. Expand
  85. Oct 10, 2012
    Cons: Auction House plays for you. Items are boring, repetitive, and other than your main stat / vitality the affixes are irrelevant. Linear Gameplay + only 5% f the maps are randomized. Online only. Matchmaking only, no custom games. Max of 4 people per game. Pros: Nice Graphics. Summary: I wouldn't bother with D3 unless Blizzard makes some serious, fundamental changes to it
  86. May 30, 2012
    You can see how out of touch with reality the reviews are these days. So called pro critics all giving the game big scores... (For what is less defined) and very experienced gamers giving a much more reality based view. It is hard to critique this game simply because its an always on game. Brave to release a title like this on this basis. ADSL in most parts of the UK isnt "always on" to start with... bad former NTL areas now under the virgin brand are a classic example. I know people that can barely skype for 10 minutes at a time let alone play anything for a long period of time. Add that to the fact Blizzard seem incapable of keeping the servers up and you have a show stopping experience before you even get to the game. In a sense, in this case this is fortunate, because it hides this (MMO) Massive Mediocrity taken Online. It was how long in the making? What were they doing? Expand
  87. Jun 1, 2012
    Do not deserve a better note than 3,7 :
    Connection errors, no SP, and a good amount of bugs. Played it for 3 hours after I finally got back on to their bad servers.... thank God they didn't actually put SP in. The gameplay overall is just bad and so far the story is worse than the others. Overall so far it is just trash with the Diablo name on it.
  88. Jun 9, 2012
    It comes down to this, it is not a $60 game, there is maybe $20 worth of content here. This game is massively repetitive and it is designed to waste your time. The story is mediocre, the controls are sluggish, the balance is bad, there is no path finding at all for your character so you get stuck walking around corners. The only plus side really is it is a game you can play with your friends, well after they patch the multyplayer issues. Oh and you will never find loot good enough to progress through the difficulties without using the auction house. There are man many games worth paying over this one. This is the first time a Blizzard product has flat out disappointed me. Expand
  89. Jun 18, 2012
    I have spent the last eight hours farming a random drop item to get into whimseyshire, a farming area. I still have not seen the npc pop that has a random chance of letting me get the item I need. this is one of six items required. Is this an asian MMO or what? It is also becoming increasingly clear that you cannot beat the game on the hardest difficulty without using the in-game Auction House(which is now shifting into real money sales). Steer clear of this game, Blizzard has finally put out a dud. Expand
  90. Jun 24, 2012
    One of the most disappointing games of 2012. I was really looking forward to this game since I stopped playing Diablo 2 in 2004. I was in the beta and the first 15 levels up to skeleton king showed lots of promise. The graphics while not cutting edge are crisp, the environmental effects are done well, and the spell animations are great. Unfortunately what the beta did not test (and I really wish it did!) was the end game. There are tons of issues why Diablo 3 fails at this, but here most of them in list form: 1) Blizzard's decision to allow ultimate flexibility with skills/specs, but at the same time limiting spec changing is just poor design. There is nothing fun about feeling like you can spec in numerous ways to overcome unique challenges, and then have to maintain some stale spec for the majority of your level 60 experience. Don't get me started if you accidentally mouse click near your skills as you can drag the skills off and reset your buff that gives you extra chance at finding gear the more elites you kill (stacks up to 5). As a demon hunter there are very few viable builds that will allow reliable killing of elite packs -- which is really where the end game is. 2) This brings me to my next point, killing elite packs that sometimes have insane affixes is not fun. Invulnerable minions and some other combinations are near impossible. Sometimes these mobs are positioned in areas where you can't actually progress unless you lure them away into a corner after repeated deaths. Sometimes the best solution is restarting the game which in my mind shows that this is also pretty bad design. 3) Blizzard gives us mixed messages on item stats. At one point they want you to be able to kill things quickly (hence the enrage timers), but on the other hand you sometimes need ridiculous amounts of defense stats to withstand normal wear and tear of battle. Gear that has the ideal mix of defense/offense is like winning the lottery. 4) Essentially the worst part of Diablo 3 is the fact that despite how long you may farm inferno and I have for weeks, you really never get anything decent. The amount of crap loot I've got for doing the same thing over and over again in Act 3/4 on inferno is mesmerizing. Accumulating gold requires playing hell or Act I inferno (where the chance to get good items is 2% or less, so its just gold farming). Since when is gold farming good game design? 5) Lastly the fact the real money auction house is even available despite the fact that over 2-3 weeks of farming nearly nightly for 2-4 hours I did not receive one upgrade from my demon hunter (with my friend playing as well) makes me think Blizzard wants this game to make money for them rather than have any good design or enjoyment. Lastly, haphazard patches with very little communication of what's changing or stealth nerfs makes me think this game really isn't salvageable. Extremely disappointing game with what could have been huge potential. Expand
  91. Jul 23, 2012
    I hate being negative but sometimes a man´s gotta do what a man´s gotta do. This game sucked big time. There are of course a lot of arguments that can be used and I´m sure my fellow critics have done so already so I´ll keep mine short and explain the thing that bothered me the most. But first of, the positive things.

I like the artwork and the story isnt half
    bad. I didn´t care all that much about the story because western RPG always suck compared to eastern (japanese) RPG:s. To complain about the story is thus a waste of time.

But I have witnessed the ultimate sellout of fans by a company with this game. Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard have lost all track of what made Blizzard such a successful company in the first place. Their hardcore fans, the gamers. With the release of this game, they spat on the face of every gamer out there. They made us buy a game that first of was incomplete, secondly it was unbeatable by default.

Who in their right minds releases a single player game in which a single player cannot finish the game?

Apparently Blizzard does.

This game is impossible to beat on inferno level (which is the endgame) without having to use the auction house. Keep in mind, this is a single player game. Why do I even have to use the Auction House?

For one reason, RMAH (Real Money Auction House).

It´s a great idea for the company, make players buy and sell gear whilst Blizzard makes cash without actually having to work. But for the players this means that the best gear will always sell for cash and that the ingame gold AH (Auction House) gets depleted of the best items.

RMAH is however acceptable even though it´s tacky as hell. If they wanna be greedy, sure go right ahead.

But in this case Blizzard has made the game so hard on inferno level that the usage of the AH was impossible to avoid. If AH is unavoidable then RMAH automatically becomes the next step.

But, don´t you get drops in the game?

Well of course you do, nothing usable but of course you do.

The loot system is innovative, the first game I have ever encountered where the highest item level (ilvl) on drops doesn´t mean that youre getting the best gear. I have gotten alot of the ilvl 63 which is the highest possible and yet I have nothing to show for it. My best gear is actually an ilvl 61 (it´s the best drop I have gotten and it beats my ilvl 63 bought gear), this after 250 hours of gameplay. "Then why do you even have item levels Blizz?", should be the first question they should answer.

Diablo 3 is the biggest pyramid scheme since the pyramids themselves:p and for this Blizzard should take a timeout in the corner and reflect on their shameful behaviour. Standing next to them should be the corrupt media that has given this game a good reviews. Shame on you, the free press, bought and paid for by lazy and greedy developers. I´m still giving this game 3/10 because of the artwork and the 250 hours of gameplay it gave me. But this was the last time Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard get´s a dime from me and I used to be a big fan.
  92. May 15, 2012
    One of the worst play time to cost ratios. I could have a whole day at a paintball stadium for the money I shelled for this game, which, due to an unstable internet connection, I can't even play smoothly, even though I'm only interested in single player.

Good job, Blizzard.
  93. May 15, 2012
    I spent like 100000 hours playing diablo II so I really wanted to get diablo III. But I work in west Texas where there is no internet. I go out to the middle of desert bassicly for a few weeks at a time and i bought this game to have something to do. So i buy Diablo III and there is no single player so i can only play it when i am in town. Thats not why i bought it. So I'm out $80 and the store won't let me return it. So I bassicly go robbed for $80 since no one told me this when i pre ordered it. I'm never buying another Blizzard game again. Expand
  94. May 15, 2012
    The way Blizzard is handling this situation is the most irresponsible and retarded thing ever done by a multi-million dollar company since the Golf War oil spill. Congratulations on becoming the biggest joke in video gaming history since Duke Nukem Forever. I can't believe I'm downloading a pirate cracked version of a game I already paid 60 dollars for, I want my money back
  95. May 15, 2012
    Graphics - 3/10 Looks like a game from 2004. Art - 3/10 Everything is foggy and gray, you can barely see any details. The characters don't look too good, kinda like WoW. Animations - 5/10 my monk has an axe and a shield, but when he attacks he puts them aside and punch, since currently there are no animations for the monk for anything except staff and fist weapons... Music - 5/10 Basic background tunes.

Voice Acting - 2/10 Horrible.

Game play - 5/10 Dumbed down Diablo 2 game play. The mobs walk up to you and smack you, you hit them, they die, you win. While in D1&2 I'd make sure I cleared the entire level before moving on, in D3 I'm just glad I found the way to the next level already. No innovation whatsoever, totally mediocre.

Stability - 3/10 Logging in takes about 30 min because of error messages due to high server load. Whispers fail, party chat is broken.

I cannot believe this is a Blizzard game, it's like something I'd expect from EA. Do not buy, unless it's sold for under 8$.
  96. May 15, 2012
    Game govno do not play this. Getting disconnected from single player all the time. Very buggy, unfinished with dumbed down customization and cartoon graphics
  97. May 16, 2012
    Forget Diablo the lord of hell, the new Prime Evil that needs to be defeated is this draconian DRM nightmare that prevents legit costumers from playing what they paid for and which introduces lag into single player. If single player with lag isn't truly evil, I don't know what is. Forget hell, the HQ of Activision-Blizzard is where the true evil is to be found these days. Better take your sword, spells, or whatever and go there to fight evil. Just be prepared, there is much evil there and you better not go alone. And forget this game, it's just a shorter and simplified version of Diablo 2 with 2004 Wow Graphics that offers nothing that was not already done better by other games before. Expand
  98. Jun 22, 2012
    ok so the new patch is out an it is clear all blizzard is trying to do is milk the players for more money not to mention they change the stats on the items on your character even if you payed $$ for them witch renders them useless so i had to re-review this game an its content an give it what it deserves a 0 never buy or play another blizzard activision game
  99. May 18, 2012
    Its a bad dungeon crawler with the Diablo name on it. The game is actually less than its predecessors. I'd rather play Dungeon Hunter Alliance and that's sad.
  100. May 18, 2012
    $59.99 better spent elsewhere.
    + It has the Diablo brand name on it. I guess that's a plus...
    - Gameplay, graphics, sound, plot, mechanics, servers (this one MIGHT be fixed, eventually), pay to win auction house, hyper-aggressive Blizzard fanboys, online only
  101. Jul 23, 2012

I like the artwork and the story isnt half

Apparently Blizzard does.

For one reason, RMAH (Real Money Auction House).

But, don´t you get drops in the game?

Well of course you do, nothing usable but of course you do.

1. Aug 31, 2012