3.9

1. May 18, 2012
    There are far many games worse than D3, but $60 for this is absolutely a travesty. Graphics not great, audio pretty weak, and when playing you know that it's not worth even $30 so it makes the game that much worse. Everyone has said enough already, but don't buy this game now.
  2. May 18, 2012
    Lackluster graphics, game play, story, and skill trees. DRM to play a single player game? What are we paying for then? HUGE disappointment. If you want to own it, pirate it. You don't get what you pay for.
  3. May 18, 2012
    What is the point of buying a game if you can't even play it? I saved up for it, just to play by myself. I'm not a big multiplayer user, so I bought it for the singleplayer. Turns out, it doesn't matter. I can't play it without being online, which is horrible since I don't always have internet. Also: Error 37.
  4. May 19, 2012
    This game is fun if you can play...Every time i get on to play the servers are down for maintenance. When I do get in a game I get constant 3007 errors after 20 min of playing which disconnect me back to the login screen. I keep having to replay the same quests over and over because of the disconnects. This is very unlike blizzard to release a game that's not finished with these type of problems. Contemplating getting a full refund.

Being forced to play online is the biggest mistake this game makes...if your going to force me to play online better have a server that is available for me WHEN IM READY TO PLAY. This game is a huge fail.
  5. May 19, 2012
    I would give 8.5 if you could play offline, but I have to keep stopping every moment, either because of bugs or long maintenance of own blizzard, this type of treatment the client can not get away
  6. May 19, 2012
    For the first thing - i want to mention that i didnt experienced any problam with the servers disconnecting and i really dont mind about the DRM system. After few hours playing this game i have only 1 word to say - DISAPPOINTMENT.
    If u played diablo 1, and diablo 2 and ur a diablo fan? dont think about playing this game because it will just make u angry.
    it seems blizzard neglected all the
    good and unique features that made diablo II LoD one of the best games in history.
    1. No customize Skills + Artibbutes - this is really poor and ruine the game experience for me. blizzard aimed this game for 6 years old who dont need to think. u cant longer do customize and special chars (for exemple enchantress bear sorc on d2 :p).
    2. Party groups of only 4 ppl - really shame then instead of moving foward and making the game experience of interacting and playing with other people they move back to only 4 people partys.
    3. No game list like diablo 2- all the games are randomize and u cant enter a game for trading like on diablo 2.
    4. The trading experience is really bad now- u dont longer can have the great feeling of the trading in diablo 2 (trading low items junk for medium junk. medium junk into better items etc)- i remember i used to spend many nights by only trading junk to get better items.
    5. NO more world PVP feature - i wasnt a big fan of it but it was fun to duel people on world pvp, now u can only do WoW style pvp arena which is good but they neglected world pvp which was fun.
    In conclusion, blizzard had 12 years to make the Diablo III and they wasted all this time of making a poor WoW 2. Diablo II is a game who stand the test of time and is still largly played by many people around the world this days, when diablo III in my opinion doesnt even stand the test of present time. its a truly sad day for diablo game series fans. take care.
  7. May 19, 2012
    Let me start by saying that if you haven't noticed, metacritic is working really hard trying to avoid Diablo III getting the score the users think (which IMO is the closest to what this game deserves) by censoring comments with nothing wrong in it just for rating below 2, i got my comment deleted for no reason so i'm not going to rewrite all over again, just some facts: Cons:
    customization at all
    -None replayability
    -Ridiculously flat skill/attribute points
    -Extremely linear
    -Difficulty not challenging at all
    -No runewords
    -Pay to win RMAH
    -Battlenet 2.0
    -WoW-like skills and graphics
    -+200str an armor? lol...(WoW-like items, never seen a +200str or +200 any other attribute in diablo games)
    -No PvP on release
    -Checkpoints (awful implementation) -Joining game issues like: leveling up or getting waypoints you didn't have.
    -Almost none ingame trade system (no global chat equals no trade between players equals all trades made with blizzard as intermediary equals high end items that worth RM get sold in RMAH equals blizzard getting part of)
    -12 years wait.

Pros:
    -Due to the dificulty and the mobs AI you could still play Diablo III even with both arms broken.
    -Its pretty optimized for smooth gameplay even on not high end PCs.
  8. May 19, 2012
    The worst let down of all time... The story is mediocre, there is no challenging gameplay, it takes 4 days to completely max out your character for what that is even worth since you don't get to choose anything and everyone's characters are exactly the same, level cap is 60. They basically took out everything that made it fun. It is no longer a dungeon crawler, as expansive levels and have been replaced by one room caves, i'm not sure any of the maps ever even change since everything is pretty much in the same place.... The graphics are way less than acceptable... The real problem though is the leveling system you can't choose any skill points, spells or anything about your character other than their name, on top of that the cap is 60 and it takes no time to get there after the first difficulty your level thirty minimum.. Diablo 2 was a challenging game it took for ever to get to level 90 and above and that is what made it fun the game is about leveling and loot it doesn't work without both parts... turns out to be like thanks i'm level 60 now great that took 4ish days i guess i could start a new character but since it took so little time to get here is this even fun at this point. I really loved the idea of RMAH but once again what value do any items have if every eight-year-old and their mom can make it to the level cap without any effort, its certainly instant gratification for people who hate actually accomplishing things. Torchlight was a much better developed game and i'm sure its budget was null in comparison to Diablo 3's. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS GAME IS THAT BLIZZARD HAS RUN OUT OF GAMES TO RUIN AT THIS POINT. Expand
  9. May 20, 2012
    Extremely expensive game with poor graphics and a bad story. It requires constant connection to the internet to play and the servers are always busy/down.
  10. May 20, 2012
    As an Australian player, this game is nearly unplayable. I'm stuck with a ping that averages 600, which makes combat sluggish, ugly, and playing multi-player with friends causes severe lag spikes which are absolutely disgusting.

Blizzard used to be a company I had a bit of respect for, but their abuse of everyone that isn't American paints them as a bunch of elitist pigs that the world
    would be better without.

I mean, EA included Australian servers for SWTOR, but Blizzard? Blizzard are now scum of the gaming world. **** Blizzard.
  11. May 20, 2012
    A really great game... if it was playable. Great graphics, great optimization, great story-telling, awesome atmosphere and gameplay...
    but horrid on-line experience (can't connect, server under maintenance, horrid lag spike...)
    Blizzard knew people were already upset about the lack of an off-line mode, yet they failed to deliver a stable on-line play.
  12. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a new player to Diablo franchise or even to Blizzard games, I didn't really know what to expect. I only knew it is about fighting monsters, gathering loot and so on. The way gameplay is made is kinda... weird, to be honest. First you obtain an account on so-called battle.net, then you use it to log-in in game. After you do it, monster cards begin to appear, each in nice rectangular frame and labelled with name like "error 37" or so. They also have a nice flavor text. If they appear it means that you have logged too slow and the monster has won. There is quite a variety of enemies, varying in effects and how quickly they kill. The 37 is most common one. 10001 tends to spawn along with 3000008. 12 is a fun one, requires the player to change his "build" in options menu. If the player manages to kill the monster, they can create a character (which is werid, shouldn't it be done BEFORE the actual fight?), and they can take it to fight with other cards. I have yet to beat 3004 and 3006, those are nasty. Balance is weird. 33 is unbeatable. 37 is very common one, easy to beat with typing quick enough. 300008 is rare and weak. I would have nothing against the number indicating how powerful is the encountered mob. 33 is close to 37 and yet they are completely diffrent.

Overall I am not sure if I like this novel approach to card-based gameplay, but hey, thats Blizzard. Those guys surely know how to make a good game. In the end, however, the point of a review is to tell how much reviewer likes the game and its particular aspects. Gameplay gets 2 big, bad 2 for me - unique for sure, but in the end boring. Quite time consuming, too, and I don't feel any sense of progress, though, beating a 10001 feels good for sure!

Graphics are nice, there is an animated background. It does not fit the fighting errors theme, I think something more related to computers would be better. The same can be said about music. 6 for both - Nice, but not fitting.

It is said that the game has some form of multiplayer - I don't really understand how to use it.

So, in the end: unique card game which is quite hard to understand properly. Massive flaws in balance of particular cards, also gets boring after some time.
  13. May 20, 2012
    what kind of company makes a game and forces single player to connect to a server and then take the European servers down at peak time on a Sunday when most people will want to play?
    Hopefully a company that very soon will be going insolvent when it loses its fan base. Let's hope Torchlight 2 do better than this and take all Blizzard's customers.
  14. ran
    May 20, 2012
    This game is just ridiculous I cant understand how could it be that you not only need to connect to the internet in order to play singelplayer, but it also BLOCK you from using it because too many people around the world, simultaneously, are using the same product. Blizzard is actually defying the terms of the game- the costumer pay, and then play. In this case, the costumer not only paying more then any other game, but also get a limited access for his game. Awfull. Expand
  15. May 20, 2012
    Unplayable connections, low graphics and ridiculous leveling system make this game sickening. Blizzard has lost a customer for life. No more. The DRM systems fails on every level and so has Blizzard.
  16. HiD
    May 20, 2012
    I can hardly connect to the game, and when I can I just experience insane lags... The game is unplayable..even is solo, because of the need ot be online in order to play the game...
  17. May 20, 2012
    Nothing new in this game, its very very easy, simple point and click and that's about it. You will spend most of your time actually trying to get logged into the game even for single player!
    Most disappointed I've ever been with a game, played it for 3 days now and I'm tired of it.
  18. May 21, 2012
    Dumbed down and disappointing and downright dull. The DRM is a dick move. Hard to believe this game has been in development for a year let alone a decade. Too easy and too short and the story was just some hack job. Terrible game.
  19. May 21, 2012
    When I heard Diablo 3 was coming out I got excited. I have played this series since the beginning. But having played it now for about a week I must say this game is an extreme disappointment. I'll lay the pro's out first, not that there are many. First the new classes are interesting, new twists on old ideas. They kept the random generated maps and items which I also like. The story seems solid as well.

Ok on to the con's. First and foremost why on earth the devs decided to make a single player game require online connectivity to play is beyond me. Whats worse is the servers keep crashing, and I've experienced lag, which has killed me on numerous occasions. And its not like I live in the sticks with a shoddy connection either. This is where random maps become an issue, more than once I've been three quarters done with a level only to lose a connection and have to restart the whole thing on a new map.

Next major issue, they dumbed down the leveling so much, this no longer feels like an rpg, more like an action arcade game from ten years ago. Call me old fashioned but I like attribute points, and I like assigning them they way I want to. Its an interesting concept to be able to change skills at random, but honestly I don't even do that that much. Also, why are rewards for achievements new banner decorations? I don't get to use the banner in game.

Next is the items, the fact that nothing has any resale value essentially means I only bother picking up magical items. Even those I just pickup en mass since I no longer need to worry about portal scrolls. Again, that was part of the rpg element, managing your scrolls. Speaking of scrolls, or lack there of, why even bother having rare unidentified objects. It then just becomes a hassle waiting to identify something. If we want to make a game five year olds can play, why not at least make it streamlined and have everything identified. Oh and potion management and health globes, both useless. Why there is a time limit on health potions is again beyond me. I have a stack of no less then thirty potions at any one time simply because I cant use them. Then every third enemy drops a health globe anyway so whats the point? When I don't need health there's plenty, when I do need it I can't use it. Also the merchants are useless, their good seem to be chronically below my level. The only time I actually go to one is to repair my equipment. Even the blacksmith, who I try and keep a few levels ahead of me, is weak in the gear department.

Lastly the enemies are somewhat disappointing. They either seem to easy, or too difficult with no real sense of balance. In fact, the only boss I've even had a bit of trouble with was the the first, Belial. After that they all die way to quickly. I've had more trouble just getting swamped by waves of regular monsters. Overall, while the game does have its moments, its just too frustrating and simple to be that recommendable. Blizzard could fix most of the issues if they care, but we will see. If I finish the game it will probably be the last time I play it.
  20. May 21, 2012
    I purchased this game mostly to play single player. I can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that Blizzard programmed by making a battle.net connection REQUIRED for single player. Bravo, after years of "polishing" I can not play because of your greed. The servers are so overwhelmed I can not log into the single player game. Total BS.
  21. May 24, 2012
    Sorry Blizzard, you know I love you but I have yet to play a session without getting disconnected with some sort of error message. That I could have lived with for a few days, but you've now had well over a week to fix it and it actually seems to be getting worse.

I took a break of 2 days and today I decide to give it another go and got an Error 3007 after 3 minutes! If you're going to
    put such intrusive DRManti-piracyanti-cheat measures into a game in the future, try to make sure it doesn't screw over half your PAYING CUSTOMERS who have no intention of hackcheatetc!! And yes I absolutely will give the game a poor score due to this because it has thus far ruined the whole experience for me.... all I want to do is have an hour or 2 of single player goodness yet most MMO releases are better than this. And no I'm not going to start rebooting my modem and opening random ports to try and solve this because I have plenty of other multiplayer games and even MMOs that don't require such measures. Expand
  22. May 24, 2012
    My first review on Metacritic. I had to give Diablo 3 a 1 out of 10 based on two reasons, the lack of offline gameplay and the recent Blizzard statement. Blizzard released a glowing press statement about the record sales figures of Diablo 3 with this paragraph included. 'we're especially proud of the gameplay feedback we've received from players worldwide'. It must be nice to be this intentionally ignorant of how customers feel about the DRM measures they have had forced down their throats. The only option if you want to be free of this type of business decision is to not buy the game. (or look to the hackers to come up with a crack for off line single players) Unfortunately we all bought Diablo 3 anyway, knowing that the DRM was in the bargain. I guess it took buying it to truly understand how terrible the DRM is. Well, once bitten twice shy. Blizzard's attitude coupled with awful DRM and a just about above average game equals a 1/10 for me. It is a shame that gaming is hitting these all time lows... Expand
  23. May 24, 2012
    This game is okay, but it is nothing like Diablo 2. It has been modeled around being sustainable income for Blizzard.

Currently the only way to be able to farm gear that is worth anything is to use the gear that is worth anything. The only reason people are able to do so right now is because they abused overpowered builds, but they have since been nerfed so nobody else can farm it.
    Inferno in this game is difficult because of boosted enemy damage and hp, not a change in actual challenge. It's one big gear check.

Since you can't make gold without farming good items to buy good items in order to farm good items, you'll need to use the Real Money Auction House when it comes out.

It's one big ploy for your money, gents... just wait for Torchlight 2 or go play something else.
  24. May 25, 2012
    Disappointed. I played solo and the game crashed because of disconnected. Everyday. WTF is this ? DRM for honest players ? I can't create LAN party, I can't join friends directly, I must give my login to play everytime.
    The game is nice but I can't have fun with this, I give a 1.
  25. May 29, 2012
    Even ignoring the atrocious status of the servers, making it impossible to play two weeks after release, the game is unoriginal. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game, but they took Diablo 2, gutted the skill system slapped on new graphics and failed to deliver on basically any of their extravagant pre-release promises.
  26. Jun 16, 2012
    I've been playing this game for more than 100+ hours now and I really have to say that in it's entirety, I hate it. Not in it's core content and but in it's implementation. Don't get me wrong. It is still fun to play and retains the same dungeon-crawling, loot-grabbing, clickity-click click goodness. But is that really all there is to it? I've played D1/D2 and have finished and enjoyed those multiple times but what made those games stand out and acquired a cult following seems to have been lost in D3. I'm not even gonna mention the DC's and server stuff because those are fixable, in fairness to Blizzard. Upon playing this game a lot because of it's "fundamentally" fun gameplay, and I use the term loosely, I can't help myself in the back of my mind feeling cheated. It seems that this "Always-Online" thing is forced upon the consumer to make sure that their asses are covered for delivering an unpolished product. Think of it as ordering delivery for a pizza. They send it to your house, without most of the toppings and the delivery guy occasionally puts toppings on it as you notice it while eating. Terrible.

They also mentioned the online setting is to promote coop and to fight gold-sellers and outside seeling from third-party sites and what-not. But they have a real currency auction house for Christ-sakes, they want you to spend your money on them, not on some god-forbidden site where they have no share from the earnings.

The way the loot is spread and supposedly "randomized", somehow I felt cheated. I have 3 level 60 characters and you don't get what you need, ever. You get crap or what other classes need. Hence me making 3 Chars. Seriously, the AH has been my friend and I couldn't have survived without it. How will I have gold? Yes, grinding. Now, I don't mind grinding but when you're digging through the ground with a teaspoon to find an ever so slightly bigger teaspoon to dig with, well you get the picture. They got you playing for a long time and almost always never getting a feeling of satisfaction.

Maybe I'm a noob, maybe you're the greatest player in D3, but one thing is clear. D3 is made with business in mind. They don't care really care about you, all they care is you clocking a million hours doing the same things so they can get more of your money. From the bottom of my best judgment and honesty, I give this game a measly 1/10 for its entirety. After all, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Nuff' said. Thanks for reading. HTH.
  27. Jun 19, 2012
    Not much more than a slot machine.

Note. In games, I always play single player campaigns. Rarely play online multiplayer (never played WoW or any other mmo). Up till now really rated Blizzard. I finished the game with all class (although normal difficulty) and uninstalled the game after reaching level 60 with a monk class and 25-30 with all other (I don't know why I kept going really,
    I really wanted the game to be fun, I guess I didn't want to feel like I threw $80 away - probably the same reason I am writing this)

-Gameplay -
    Poor balance, starts too easy on normal, then hell champs are unbeatable without buying your way through.
    Loot is clearly scripted to be below your level or for a different class, most drops are useless (hatred on sword...), I refuse to go on the online auction to buy items when I want to play solo however the game force you to do that. In that case there is no way to progress other than abusing the AI, avoiding combat or restarting the game to generate easier champs.
    There is no real skill involved in beating enemies, point and click really (that or die, restart, die when the enemy champs combo you without any way to react -e.g. paralyse + insta kill area spell)
    Poor dungeons layout, no sense of exploring, spend most of the time backtracking (items that increase your speed are a must) with little else happening.
    The first two chapters are long enough and don't feel as linear, has some interaction with the environment (only chapter 1 really), however you will notice a big drop in quality for the last 2. I hated doing the 3rd one -feels like a really long corridor toward chapter 4 - and the last chapter although having nice visuals is really too short compared to the others. I am amazed that the story is so short and linear for a games that's been in dev for so long. It's not as if blizz had to start from scratch.
    Characters are quite different although one quickly realise their skills are fairly pointless at higher level. And Bliz nerfed a couple of abilities that were used too much apparently (some might call it balancing to me it' killing some of the fun aspect to make it blend. If I want to run set a set of skills I will even if they are not as powerfull as other combo, it's up to me to decide but then again the problem is with the online balance. As shame really in other rpg games it would be up to me to decide if I wanted to change my gaming experience by applying a balance patch or not.

-Story-
    Nothing special but nothing too bad there. Very linear and so predictable, not great fantasy there but I guess the story in this game is secondary, a shame you have to go through it again every time you restart the game at higher level of difficulty (i.e. no random levels to explore) -Re playability -
    Nothing here, no random dungeons (clearly the same map with a chance of bringing 2/3 scripted events (i.e. small cellar, merchant) from a pool of ~10), I played the same story with all characters, brought the monk to 60 the games hoping it would get better however it got boring after the 2nd replay
    Adding to that random server maintenance (it took an afternoon off work to play and got very frustrating not being able to play a solo game).

- Other -
    Too many hacked account doesn't inspire confidence in Blizzard. for one I see this as a solo game. Blizz has created the security issue by going online and clearly has poor server problems. The game is clearly designed around the auction house instead of what happens ingame.
  28. Jul 16, 2012
    The game has good content for early levels, slick graphics, but a very unsatisfying grind. An essential part of the Diablo franchise is itemization: the idea that finding and identifying loot is fun and exciting. This is not the case here. Loot quality and drop rates were significantly lowered in an attempt to curb its in-game economy. The result is incredibly repetitive gameplay as you re-run the same acts over and over for the minuscule chance to upgrade a single piece of gear.

Blizzard's attempts to appeal to a more casual gaming fanbase has resulted in much "dumbing down" compared to Diablo II. Skill points are now automatically allocated for you, and although there are seemingly multiple skill builds you can try out, the nature of the endgame forces most players to follow one or two builds in order to survive and progress.

Fighting enemies and clearing mobs is more dependent on the quality of your items rather than skills such as maneuvering or spell usage. Certain mobs contain random affixes that grant them special abilities; while this is an interesting concept there are certain combinations of affixes that are insurmountable, requiring numerous deaths to overcome, or restarting the game. You'll often come across monsters with strange hitboxes, able to kill you from 10 feet away even though you fled in the nick of time. The game also punishes dying, having quadrupled repair costs in one of the patches; a game should not dictate your style of play, nor should it punish you for being adventurous in exploring and combat. Bosses are more interesting, but come with an "enrage timer", essentially a countdown to doom should you not kill them fast enough. Why should you be told how to play?

Items are boring and lend to boring build diversity. The important stats are your primary, vitality, all resistance, life on hit, and critical damage. Stacking lesser stats will only get you hinder your progression as you'll probably fail to make a dent in any late-game monster. Legendary and unique set items are the rarest to obtain, and are mostly crap; the majority of them have inferior stats compared to magic and rare items; Blizzard has already acknowledged their **** and promises to buff them "Soon".

The game pushes you to use the Auction House (both Gold and Real Money). As a solution to Diablo II's lack of a formal trading system, the AH provides a quick way to upgrade items without having to spend time fighting hordes of monsters. Unfortunately numerous gold farmers, AH bots, and rampant item flippers (people who buy low, sell high) have caused the in-game economy to go wack, making top-tiered item prices exorbitantly high, and mediocre-to-good items unprofitable/unsellable due to high supply and low demand. On top of that, Blizzard takes a 15% cut on every transaction, and a $1 cut on top of that for Real Money transactions.

The game is meant to be played CO-OP, but many issues discourage doing so. Magic find is a vital stat that gets split among party members, punishing you for having good gear while teaming up with those who don't. Monster HPs and damage are increased by fixed percentages when you play with others; either everyone carries their own weight or you'll all suffer in combat. What happens here is friends will join your game, sometimes slightly underleveled/undergeared, and cause all sorts of headaches for your entire party because of the increased difficulty. After having this happen repeatedly you'll not only want to play by yourself (you have a personal follower when playing solo), and you'll shun friends by telling them to get better at the game before playing with you. Neither is conducive to good CO-OP gameplay.

Gameplay aside, the storyline is passable. After one playthrough there's no reason to rewatch the cinematics or click through all the forced dialogue.

The final nail in the coffin is Blizzard's utter lack of respect for its community and fanbase. A glimpse at the official D3 forums (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/) will show the numerous threads of players quitting, complaining about the game's difficulty/economy/itemization, and whatnot. You can take this with a grain of salt, but the amount of negativity and outcry surely hints at how terrible this game is. Threads are constantly censored and deleted without notice; well thought out posts giving constructive criticism are mostly ignored. Instead, mods will respond instantaneously to those having issues depositing $ into their Bnet account (and delete your thread should you try pointing this out).

This is the most infuriating game I've played in a long time; Blizzard has tarnished their reputation with this ill-conceived, ill-tested piece of **** Jay Wilson and his greedy team deserve to rot in hell for destroying such a storied franchise. Don't waste your money here.
  29. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a huge fan of the Diablo series (was 1 of my favorites) & logged countless hours playing the 1st 2 Diablo games. D3, however, is a terrible game in almost every imaginable way. Here's why not to buy D3:

1)Maps: essentially not randomly generated (as they have been in past games). Most areas are static (e.g. the overworld), & some are 'randomly generated' & have 2-4 possible layouts - these areas could be more accurately described as 'randomly chosen' from predetermined layouts. This is a big change from the infinite map layouts previous Diablo games could have.

2)No open world exploration/free play option. In addition to no random maps, gameplay is locked into quest progression. In D2, a player could start a game in any act & travel anywhere in that act or any other act. In D3 a player chooses a quest & creates a game based on that quest, having progressed through the act as if you were still on that quest. If you already killed a boss in the act, they remain dead. To travel to another act, the player must exit the game & create a new 1 by selecting a different quest.

3)The game is linear/mechanical/repetitive. Diablo games have previously been designed to be played for years after release (D2 online community is still sizable ). D3's lack of random maps quickly leads to areas becoming tedious/boring as they are so repetitive. Worse yet, quest objectives are shown as blinking dots on the minimap (as if you couldn't remember your way around after playing identical areas many times over) so you never have to think about what the objective is or which direction you should be heading. For the most part, all RPG elements have been removed from the series (which is supposed to be an action RPG).

4)Auction house: Many people argue it has ruined the game's economy, or that it promotes a pay-to-win playstyle. It is also the main way to trade in-game items & the UI is so terrible that it takes a very long time to do so.

5)Nephalem Valor: forces people to stick with a build for a long time or be punished - being forced to choose between more loot/rewards or more freedom/fun (i.e. being rewarded for having less fun - a game should promote fun). 6)Significantly increased item repair costs strongly discourage people from attempting difficult content which makes the game boring/monotonous. The repair costs don't affect people who already have lots of good gear & are farming acts 3/4 & punish people who don't have much gold & are just starting to gear up.

7)Elite mobs: designed to be what players farm for end-game items. These mobs have the same 25 randomly chosen abilities (up to 4 different affixes each encounter) across all 4 acts. For the most part every fight is similar/easy & it feels like you are running all over all 4 acts just so to engage in the same boss fight over & over again - there is little diversity between acts.

8)Story: absolutely terrible.

9)No end game content - nothing to keep players interested/playing for years to come.

10)Itemization/characterization: boring - classes are not unique/use the exact same items. Item affixes have been simplified/dumbed down. Affixes such as fire, lightning, holy, etc. damage no longer has secondary effects such as crits adding DoT, stunning targets, dealing extra damage to undead - they are instead completely cosmetic.

11)The game has a very cheesy/cartoony/family friendly art style (not referring to content) & has abandoned the more mature look of its predecessors. D3's artistic direction does not really allow for interesting/scary/whatever models of demons. 1 of the better models, Azmodan, was still less scary than Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Blizz said they think the game has a timeless, stylized, aesthetic (like they say about WoW.. but it's not suited to D3).

13)This game borrowed too much from WoW rather than from previous Diablo games.

12)No open world PvP. Diablo I & II had fun open world PvP. D3 will feature only arena PvP (whenever Blizz decides to finally add PvP).

14)The game looks, feels, & plays like a game from around 2005 - it's dated.

15)The game just generally feels rushed/incomplete (& in many ways is incomplete, e.g. no PvP at launch & no date set for when it will be implemented).

If you're not a fan of the Diablo series/looking to waste 20 hours or so - this game should keep you adequately entertained for that long. If you played Diablo I/II & are looking for another game to spend countless hours playing over many years, this is definitely not your game. D3 does not seem broken beyond repair, but I'm not sure Blizz is prepared to put in the necessary work. Some issues (e.g. map randomization) would be far too difficult to change at this point - developers have specifically said they will not be correcting this. Recommendation: check out D3 after it has seen a year or 2 of patching - it may be in a good state by then.
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    Diabl-WoW 3 : When a great game becomes a great chore. Grind grind grind. Well, grind again! Faster, you need money to buy stuff and you can sell stuff to make money. Money, money,money, bots, everywhere! Oh wait, where the fun again? Fun? What are you talking about, this is not a game this is a business. Forget about deep character devellopement and stiry, no time for that! Grind grind grind festival baby. Ah well, might just go back to D2 for some good fun. Waited all these years for that. What a shame. Randomized dungeons? Are you kidding me!? Not even close to D2. I played about 30 hours, Ive had some fun but not much. Time to go back to Indie Games. Big companies dont get it anymore, its all about money. Expand
  31. Jul 21, 2012
    The game doesn't reward you at all. You have to play like 50 hours just to get a decent item you can sell for 20$. This is below the minimum wage in China. Blizzard want to turn their player base into a slave labor, so they can make out like a bandit. This game is work, it's not a game it's work.
  32. Jul 21, 2012
    After waiting over a decade for this game I could not of been more disappointed. The story is short, the grinding is long, viable builds are nerfed as quickly as people find them, you have to buy your high level gear in the Real Money Auction House, and gold/item farmers run the Auction Houses. It's a money grab by blizzard, and just a travesty of a game.
  33. Aug 2, 2012
    Too many nerfs and the auction house killed the game. Blizzard could just sll you any items they want throught the real money auction house and control the economy of it. Thank you Activision!
  34. Aug 5, 2012
    Most disappointing game I have ever played. I cannot recommend this game in its current state. Its fun going from level 1-60, but the end-game is the most terrible idea in gaming yet. The game engine purrs and combat is fun. I even enjoy the new build system. However, in the end the game feels like a scam. Every patch that has come out since release has made the game worse. You use to be able to find gear when you opened a chest but now that doesn't happen. You used to be able to die without paying ridiculously high repair costs, but now the game is nearly unplayable unless you farm for hours a day for gold or buy gold using real money in the RMAH (real money auction house). The drop rate of items is based of the AH(auction house with in game gold)/RMAH, so sometime in the middle of hell mode using the AH becomes nearly mandatory. By the time you get to inferno mode you MUST use the AH to progress, because the drop rates are abysmal. In inferno mode, with a level requirement of 60, monsters will most often drop gear less than 60 that is useless. The gear that is level 60 normally has useless stats that no one would ever want. People who succeed in this game use exploits in-game or in the AH. The game itself is filled with boters who exploit the AH and farm for gold. This makes gold prices on the AH ridiculously high, and making the game nearly unplayable for the average player. The abysmal drop rates, combined with the high repair costs all point players to the RMAH. The drop rate issue, along with the repair costs, and the RMAH have ruined the end-game. The game feels pay-to-win and this will only get worse once PVP is released (there is NO PVP currently) when people will pay $1000.00 to deck out their characters. The game feels more like a scam for your money than a form of entertainment. All my friends who were playing on release who have stopped playing. Besides all of the above reasons, cooperative (co-op) play is discouraged in the end-game as well. Even though its easy to join a game with your friends the massive HP boost the monsters get (110% per player joining) makes it more efficient to play solo. They used to get a massive damage boost too (which made it absolutely impossible to play co-op) luckily they removed that. However, there is a five buff limit in the game which a person could reach easily on solo mode. This means that the buffs you're friends give you will either cancel out a buff you wanted to have or have no effect. Likewise, any public game you join in inferno mode will 99% of the time end up facing a nearly impossibly randomly generated elite pack and thus dying over and over again... again increasing repair costs and making you farm lower content for gold to continue playing or paying real money for gold. There are more reasons I have no included like lack of PVP, consistent lag issues, no off-line mode, lack of customization, and lack of real randomization but I'll stop here. Basically, this game feels like a $60 scam to try to rip you off of more of your money. I have no confidence that they will improve the game. Look into other forms of entertainment for your $60. This is not the sequel to Diablo 2 we have been waiting for; It is the most disappointing game of 2012. Expand
  35. May 8, 2013
    DO NOT BUY, Waste of money.
    YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
    Wish I had listened and not wasted my time and money,
    never purchasing anything from Blizzard again.
  36. Dec 5, 2012
    It is a shame to dislike something which was created with so much effort, but what can i do? D3 tries so hard to be epic, fun, addictive and serve an audience of new and old fans. But it just fails on everything it attempts - just like a drunken person! It is simply not fun to click through enemies and check the loot later. Simply put: the urge to hack and slash a little bit more is not there. Even the gore is inadequate and unsatisfying. Oh, about the storyline! Awful! Just horrible. Worst script ever. It is actually so bad that it does not even count as funny. It is a shame they wasted so much effort on cinematics with story this bad. If the player has to ask herself "why I am doing this?", something is seriously wrong. Perhaps it is a matter or taste, but I had so much more fun with Dragon Age 2. Expand
  37. May 15, 2012
    If you want an immersive ARPG, you've come to the wrong place. The design for this game doesn't lead to much. Artistic design, plot, game design, everything seems to be under par. Its impressive how they managed to through down the drain all that money, when an indie studio creates Path of Exile, a free to play ARPG. Go try it, and you will feel what immersion really is.

click the Ok
    button in the popup window "The game has ended" Expand
  38. May 15, 2012
    I spent $100 on this game to play through alone and have a little fun. I trusted blizzard with my money and that's something I'll never do again. It is clear that Acti/Blizzard only care about one thing, protecting their product from pirates. They could care less about how much the DRM harms their community. If your game is actually worth $60, why are you protecting it from so many people who think it's not? Expand
  39. May 15, 2012
    There's no excuse to buy a game for more than usual and be unable to play even the single player campaign due to terrible DRM design decisions. One of the most highly anticipated games ever and we have to put up with this? What's the point of having a release date if you can't play it on that day? There are companies that release good games that you can actually play when you get them so this is not par for the course, it's unacceptable for a company that has more money than god. Expand
  40. May 15, 2012
    I was truely looking forward to this game but sadly due to the unstable servers and login errors it cant be enjoyed the way it should! and the lack that you cant customize youre own character makes me ver dissapointed
  41. May 15, 2012
    So im 7 hours into the game, and its not as good as everyone said. The story is pretty terrible (ok, its a loot game, so story is not THAT important), but what really bothers me is the graphics and the Sound. i have a pretty good PC and play on High settings. But come on! Have you ever saw Battlefield or even games like Anno (same perspective)? The worst thing is the cartoon style of the game, thats not dark and creepy like Diablo 2, its some kind of WoW colorful rainbow game. But the real Killer is the "always play online" DRM. im a single player gamer, i will never buy or sold any items, so why cant i just play offline? if thats the future of gaming, i will play NES again! Expand
  42. May 15, 2012
    It is all about choices. Blizzard chose poorly: No offline mode, no staggered release, poorly updated customer service, and servers incapable of the capacity even on a Tuesday morning. Anytime I buy a game that I cannot play they get a zero, I will re-evaluate when I can play but this is your score for now Blizzard and you're decisions are why this review will get averaged in with the real review once the game actually releases. Poor choices Blizzard, very poor Expand
  43. May 15, 2012
    Seriously, can I get my money back? Why would it be acceptable to charge $60 for essentially an unusable product? I was able to get in for a little bit, and based on that experience, even if I could log in, I would still want to try to get my money back. No skill point assignments, total handholding, a game that nowhere resembles the greatness of D1 and DII - Back to my original question, can someone at Blizzard please contact me about getting my refund? Expand
  44. May 15, 2012
    Just.. just awful. Been a Diablo fan since '97, and this game couldn't have gone any more out of it's way to take what was a decent backstory and lore and make it the worst **** ever.
    10 years development time, supposedly years of polish when the game was 'finished', and it still not only looks terrible even in comparison to Diablo 2, but there is just no content. Nightmare, hell and
    inferno don't add new content, just ramp the difficulty of the same content up, so when normal can be finished in 2 hours 3 minutes by a group of 3 guys with no prior knowledge of the game and no cheating, for a 10 year development cycle? That's **** abysmal.
    Metzen has sold the same story 3 times over and people still buy it. If you want the industry to actually change and stop releasing ****ty games to cash in on every series that you once loved - don't buy this. The more you buy it the more they'll destroy every series known to man with ****ty cash in, no content games because they can get away with it.
    That's not even getting into how stupid and manipulative the RMAH is.
  45. May 15, 2012
    Graphics are ok story is ok, but seriously taking your gamers like idiot and removing skills and statistics is a huge insult... And DRM sucks and only annoy legitimate gamers... I want my offline/lan game
  46. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard failed with D3. WIth the money they are raking in on this and other games, it's criminal that they don't put enough into the infrastructure of their servers to ensure a fun, consistent gaming experience. This game should have never required an internet connection in the first place, and the only thing Blizzard did well was showcase their greed with the decisions they made. D3 is too short, not varied enough, and the graphics are abysmal for a game released in 2012. Expand
  47. May 15, 2012
    I think I know why they didn't want to allow people to play single player without connecting to their servers. They must have been afraid no one would want to buy it if they tried it out first. The new style of the game is crap, the awesome dark mood of diablo 2 has been done away with and replaced by wow graphics and artistic style. People complained about this very often on blizzard forums, especially after trying the beta. Many suggestions were made on how to improve the game but went by ignored by the developers. They also went through and removed as much choice from the game as possible. Sure there were problems in the previous iterations of the game but the new developers did not handle them correctly. Expand
  48. May 15, 2012
    Although the game may have potential I like many cannot judge because it is broken and unusable. I have owned this, like many other honest gamers who have parted with their money, for a day now and I still cannot access. Nothing else but a zero is possible. Very sad.
  49. May 15, 2012
    Prepaid for D3. Downloaded in advance. Very disappointed. At best D3 will occupy a few hours of my time until Guild Wars 2 is released (hopefully June 26). D3 continually freezes, but ONLY with a LogiTech USB mouse plugged in, at least on my computer. Very strange, because a USB mouse is about the simplest device in the world. (Yes, my drivers are up-to-date.) Blizzard lied about having a "real money" auction house. As of now that's vaporware. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. The game itself is generic. For those that don't know... There is no "character creation". Essentially this game is a elaborate random item generator that plays on the gambling instinct. The entire game is focussed on "drops". That's it. The "story", such that it is, actually slows down the only fun thing about this game: the item drops. There is no sense of connection to the your character. Every level is essentially an elaborate 'tube' that you have to walk through and survive. The other reviews that say that D3 is an unworthy sequel to D2 are 100% correct. The only decent thing about D3 is Matt Uelmen's soundtrack. The only reason I don't feel completely robbed out of $60 is that Matt is going to get a little piece of that. D and D2 were great because they were 'original', in the sense that it had a very unique and special feel. But D3 doesn't break any new ground, and it doesn't have the charm of D2. D3 is a lot like the latest Van Halen album. Tattoo is an old tired Van Halen trying to sound like they used to, and failing for subtle yet embarrassing reasons. Likewise, Blizzard is a tired old video game company, and D3 fails for similarly subtle and embarrassing reasons. In three months ArenaNet is going to own the world and D3 is going to be a footnote in the history of bad product launches. I'm giving D3 a score of 3, two points of which are awarded to Matt Uelmen for the music. Quite frankly, if I'd known a month ago what I know today, I would have simply purchased the D3 soundtrack CD and continued playing online poker until Guild Wars 2 goes live. D3 will be my last ever purchase from Blizzard. Today Curt Schilling's video game company went gone belly up in Rhode Island. I can only wish the same fate for Blizzard. Expand
  50. May 15, 2012
    For me having to play it online all the time is a game breaker, have to fight with constant lag due to high quantities of ppl playing or trying to play the game to the point some spikes make the game crash. Art is ok but no near gives the feel of old diablo games and music and sound are close but not near the same atmosphere. In general the only thing i have liked so far is the voice acting and the fact that i was finally able to log in I hope they remove or add an offline function or i will have to stop playing since i cant handle the lag. Expand
  51. May 15, 2012
    Being excited for another chapter in the Diablo world many people jumped at the chance to play this game. Only downside is that blizzard did not seem to consider this when it came to testing their game and working the bugs out that could potentially cripple their launch. As it stands D3 launch is a big failure on the part of a major game company. The need for constant DRM is the source of this downfall, why there is no offline mode is still not fully known past speculations but at this point it is crippling what has the potential to be a solid game. Sure the problems will more then likely be fixed in a couple of hours or days even but this is all stuff that should have been sorted through with more extensive beta testings. I'm a fan of diablo have been since the original but at this moment a dark mark has been left on Blizzards other wise pristine cover and will come into consideration when I look to pick up future Blizzard games. Expand
  52. May 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The leveling of characters through 60 in normal, nightmare, and hell modes is quite enjoyable, which is enough to keep players occupied for many hours. Unfortunately this game falls short in the end game, story, itemization, and lack of offline play.

The story itself is uninspired with terrible dialogue. Anyone who was a fan of the previous games will literally cringe at the death of Deckard Cain, who is killed by a character attempting to get him to reconstruct a magic sword for her master. How exactly was he going to do that while dead? Why does she leave without the broken sword allowing him to reconstruct the sword? Why did this scene only warrant terrible dialogue and no real cut scene? Why does she abduct Tyraal instead of Cain? It makes no sense, and like the rest of the plot, reads like it was written by a 12 year old. Inferno mode is tedious and not fun. It consists of massive damage boosts to all mobs resulting in 1 shots to most characters attempting to enter it. Act 1 is playable because the zombies which dominate the act are slow moving, but upon entering act 2 be prepared for constant and unavoidable deaths no matter how well you play unless you spend tons of time farming or pay to win in the new real money Auction House, which allows players to turn an already paid for game into a micro transaction game. This feels like a way to milk the players for cash after they already spent 60 dollars on a retail product.

The statistics for your character are poorly explained in the interface, and some of them are not even accurately displaying what occurs in the tooltip, resulting in players gearing the wrong stat. Along with the poor explanations of statistics the itemization for legendary and set items is so terrible that most players choose common blue drops for weapons instead of legendaries. It makes the attempt to acquire gear feel boring and stale because the most rare drops are not even close to the most powerful. Players should not have the best chance of finding good gear when they look through their bags and read all of the stats on their found items, they should be excited as soon as they see the color of the very rare drops on their screen.

One last problem is the lack of an offline mode. This game could easily be played as a single player game and the previous Diablo games from 12-16 years ago allowed players to still experience the game without their internet connection being active. This removal of a key feature is obviously done in an attempt to prevent piracy, but is done so at the expense of their own paying customers.

If you want a good hack and slash leveling experience and to try out the customization of all 5 character classes then you'll have fun with this game, but in its current state the vast majority of players will not want to play this game for more than a few months once they've had their fill of the overly punishing and more importantly tedious end game.

Enjoyable leveling and character customization but poorly designed end game, bland and poorly executed story, incorrect itemization choices and explanation of statistics, and the removal of offline play hold this game back from being anything but just another fun but flawed game. This should not have been the case from a company as highly regarded as Blizzard.
  53. Dec 31, 2012
    This game just isn't good. I was hoping for the best, but I got the worst. They took casual to a whole new level. It took a good 3 hours to die my first time, whereas the previous Diablo games would truly challenge you killing you within 10 minutes if you're not good at it.
  54. May 15, 2012
    All nostalgia aside, compare the game to other rpg style games. For example Diablo 3 graphics are about the equivalent of the first never winter nights game, now some of you more sensible people will probably agree that graphics do not make a good game. However a game less focused on aesthetics usually offer something more substantial, something that will draw you in and keep you hooked. Perhaps it might be as simple as a bit of customisation with skills and appearance, perhaps some creative dialog or maybe a few characters with depth in which you actually care in the out come of their story. At the end of the day you are playing an 'rpg', you are supposed to in some way immerse yourself in the life of the character you create and after playing Diablo 3 I whole heartedly believe that the game is way to shallow to allow this. Expand
  55. May 15, 2012
    No offline mode, even for single player. Their servers are down? Oh well, you don't get to play the game you shelled out $60 for. Deal with it, they already have your money, suckers. Think this money will go towards improving their infrastructure and making the servers for Diablo 3 more stable? Wrong. This money is going to line their pockets. Heck, some of it may even go towards their next incremental franchise cash-grab; with which you will lovingly allow them to violate your wallet. The secret cow level is YOU. They are milking you all of your hard-earned cash. MOOOOOOO! Expand
  56. May 15, 2012
    Lag in a single player game - really terrible and unplayable if you are Oceanic or not in the USA with 180ms lag. Not to mention bad indicators of where the monster is on your screen vs where you can clearly see the spell hitting.

The error 37 and other network crap to get on are just icing on the cake of fail that this is.
  57. May 16, 2012
    I don't care about the server lag and maintence but to people who say those people are whiners it's not like we paid sixty bucks for this game ohhh yeah we did so yeah we may whine but at least we do it without blizzards dick in r mouth, there's this thing called Stockholm syndrome and I feel bad for u people's who obviously have it So on to the review no customization of cosmetic choices because u no black people, love pllaying as white people, This is bad but forgivable no stats or attributes okay so was this game designed for a 7 year old come on this is a f-ing point and click adventure now? also limited skills really because that's what every gamer wants, and not only that all people choose the same skills which will only get worse as people learn the best ones same goes for runes. On a sidenote this game from what I can tell does not have random loot as when my game crashed I reset and played through a dungeon again and found much of the same loot but this might be a bug. Also finished game on normal explored and did some side quests in about nine hours and a friend is already on hardcore end of act 2 hasn't died yet and unless he got skills over night means this game is too easy so yeah awesome bliz really sets the standards for how to not make a game Expand
  58. May 15, 2012
    The turned this into a weird WoW game. I was so excited for the hardcore D2 sequel we've been waiting years for, and they've gone the cash cow road with this game. Its a damn shame, Blizzard is capable of so much, but wasted it on this drivel.
  59. May 15, 2012
    This is the last title that I will ever purchase from this company. Terrible consumer UN-friendly piracy prevention mechanisms they've tried their best to dress up and try to convince us, their customers, that it's for our benefit. It's almost as if they're actively trying to drive their customer's away. The move to make this game an "exclusively online" title, had everything to do with appeasing shareholders, and absolutely nothing to do with giving the consumers a product they might actually enjoy using. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a disgruntled Blizzard employee to leak the server database and code to some willing party that will come up with an offline workaround for this abortion. Expand
  60. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard made their bed with unusable DRM, and now they need to sleep in it. I wouldn't give any other company a pass if their game was completely unplayable on day one, so I shouldn't cut any slack for Blizzard, regardless of how much I *used* to love the company. Outside of the DRM issues, the game was mediocre during the beta, but I haven't been able to play it since launch, so I have no basis for raising my review of the finished product. Just writing this review makes me sad, but it is what it is. 1/10 Expand
  61. May 15, 2012
    I see so many reviews here that say, to the effect, "People that give Blizz a low score because they can't log in are dumbz!" Actually, you are the colossal idiot for being so short-sighted. Blizzard took a gamble on DRM because they wanted to sell as many copies of the game as possible. They're a business first, I get that, I'm a businessman myself. But to have this level of awful from day one, when they've had so long to prepare for the onslaught of gamers that want to play their product, is shameful. If they consider this a failed experiment, move to give us offline play (how they did it in Starcraft 2 was perfectly acceptable), and change their stupid ways, then I will give this game the score (10) it deserves. Until then, shame on Blizz. Expand
  62. gtb
    May 15, 2012
    Diablo clone. Nothing new, nothing unique. You would think that with as many years as it has been since 2 came out, Blizz would have done something better. You would be wrong.

- Online-only is ridiculous. I haven't had the may problems that others have had but its still ridiculous. - Graphics are good, ran very smooth on my medium-level machine. - No problems with install though I
    understand others had issues. Overall: Just kind of meh. Expand
  63. May 15, 2012
    This game is basically the first Diablo with the Diablo II characters a tad revamped, and the only real perk is you can choose your gender. Zippeedoodah. There is little new here. Am I alone in being sick and effin' tired of hearing Jennifer Hale's voice in every damn game? Also, the DRM for this game is completely ludicrous. It's basically "You play it when we want you to", and apparently they don't want you to - at least not very often. I'm sure they'll fix their servers eventually, but who's gonna care by then? Expand
  64. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a huge let down as it lacks the challenge its predecessors' had. The game is just to easy and the only challenge you are provided with is trying to login. I will never understand how Blizzard can sell 'x' amount of copies of a game, which would require 'x' amount of servers for, but only provide their clients with less than 'x' amount of servers. It boggles the mind. If the game launch and the 23 hours (so far) following hadn't been plague with so much server down time I'm sure it would have been game of the year. But at this point I just can see that happening. Expand
  65. May 16, 2012
    When the first Diablo title was released it was new and groundbreaking, Diablo 2 added to the original with more classes more content and more customization through the skill tree system. Its Now been several years and many developers have made similar games, I had hoped with the long wait Blizzard had made some new additions to this iconic title or at the least made more modern updates to the old formula to continue its legacy. Sadly Diablo 3 did not deliver, lets set aside the launch day problems, if that were the only issue here I could forgive not being able to play much on opening day. The game play is solid but nothing new or groundbreaking but this game has a lack of customization that I find disturbing most good new RPG games Provide tools to customize the appearance of your character. It is important to many players In a Roll Playing Game to be able to make the character as they see it, to take ownership and grow him in to what they like, playing with other cloned players devalues the experience and makes it difficult to be a proud owner of your character. Worse then not being able to change your appearance is making every person playing the same class a clone, the skill tree idea has been such a great way to give players choices on how to make characters as they see fit and taking this away makes me feel like I am playing your character not mine. So now that we are all playing identical twins the trade off should be amazing graphics right? Well the graphics are not bad but they are not good either looking more like something that should have been released a few years ago and the sound is good but the voice acting leaves something to be desired (competing with Bioware in voice acting will make it tough for them to rate well in this). I have not had time to beat the game yet (I work long hours the rest of the week and it has been unplayable most of the opening day so I will have to wait till the weekend to play again I hope the bugs will be worked out by then) but I have been told that it is not very long. I hope this is not true and that Blizzard is not counting on PVP and repetition to keep us playing, and I really hope they are not counting on releasing several more expansions at $60 each containing content that should have been released with the original game. At this point the game would be rated at a 5 of 10 but there decision to take out offline play entirely making it so we are not really purchasing the game but more like renting it from them for as long as there servers are supporting it. Not to mention the inability to play a single player game because they are doing server work or my internet is down. People will support the policy because of all the cheating that went on in the other Diablo titles but removing offline play will not stop this and any one thinking that hackers will not find a way to hack and cheaters will not find a way to cheat this system are just kidding them selves. look at WOW its online only and that has not prevented several speed hacking and item duping hacks from being used over the years.
    To sum things up this game is a major step back from previous titles and I hope Blizzard realizes this and makes corrections bringing this game up to modern standards. My message to Blizzard, I own all the titles you have released on pc and they are good games but it seems that you have not been playing other games on the market recently so let me tell you what an RPG player expects in the year 2012 from a premium priced title, customization is key changing the looks and skills of your character makes it seem like you have hundreds of options instead of just the basic Classes, a long and involving story make me feel like I got my moneys worth out of paying your premium price , Graphics do not make the game and blizzard has never been known for cutting edge graphics so I can forgive the graphics if the game is reliable but making it rely on your servers and an internet connection takes away reliability leaving me withe a game that can be surpassed by smaller developers for a fraction of the cost (for the price of this game I could have purchased 8 copies of torchlight and torchlight 2 from steam and given it to many of my friends) . Overall I cant give this game better then a 3 as it is now i would love for Blizzard to listen to its fans and fix many of the things the fans are asking for but I don't hold much hope for that as it seems recently they see me as more of a wallet then a fan of there games.
  66. May 16, 2012
    Internet connection required for single player. I cannot believe this!! Yes you read correctly. If your internet connection goes down even for a second you are booted out. If for the evening what then? What if you want to play it on your laptop. How can they justify the single player part of the game requiring internet connection. And that doesn't even begin to address the issue of blizzards servers, any hiccups and thats that. And there have been loads of hiccups, just google it, don't rely on my words. What a joke. Blizzard and Activision are now the worst games companies of all, and thats quite an achievement. There are a lot of other high quality games out there, we don't have to put up with this, so I will be boycotting everything to do with them as of now. Expand
  67. May 16, 2012
    I was afraid that I was going to be disappointed in the latest of the Diablo series. Why? As I watched the Diablo 3 panels at Blizzcon I noticed something. I noticed that Blizzard kept comparing Diablo 3 to World of Warcraft. I thought that this was troubling because the games should be nothing alike. First let me say that I loved Diablo 2 and I loved WoW. But they are no more similar than Starcraft is to either of them. Attributes, skills, auction house, arena PVP, everyone easily reaching max level cap, and no reasonable reason to make more than 1 of any given character are just some of the similarities to WoW. None of the things I just listed are true of Diablo 2. If you never played Diablo 2 religiously then you will probably enjoy Diablo 3 more than most. But if you are a lover of the Diablo series, then this game is a major disappointment. I'd rather play WoW than play a linear RPG with inferior controls. There is no reason to keep you coming back for more, nothing besides a smash your face hard PVE scene. Oh wait, WoW does that better too. ugh Expand
  68. May 16, 2012
    Remember that time when you ordered a pizza but it was bad, and you excreted diarrhea all over the house? That, figuratively speaking, is exactly the kind of impression Diablo 3 leaves you with. Basically, the gameplay is overlly simplified and linear, you cant even play offline, and the story and graphics are laughable.The saddest part though, is that our noble efforts to reveal the TRUTH is being written off as "mindless trolling". If preventing people from buying rubbish is trolling than I think real "trolls" are the capitalist garbage who get peoples hopes up only to smash them later just for some cash. Diablo now joins the ever growing list of dead or dying game franchises. Expand
  69. May 16, 2012
    After a decade of waiting, Diablo III finally crawled out of the hell and invade our beloved Sanctuary again. I gave up the PC gaming long time ago since I owned three consoles at the same time and was pretty occupied by work. However, the good old memory of Diablo II still drives me order the sequel. Installation looks decent and reminds me lots of good old days. However, the message "Error 317002" haunted me for consecutive two night before I finally entered the world Sanctuary. "Big launch" they said, "It happens all the time", they said. "DRM is the trend", they said. Alright, I will just take what it is since I haven't played PC game for a while and Blizzard has taken my money. Surprising, I fell asleep twice during my first play in Act 1. The graph and character look great and the music is pleasing, but I just fell this is not the same game I played a decade ago. Skill trees are taken away and skill slots are overly simplified. Even though Blizzard moved several ideas from WoW to this sequel, I am just not inspired or excited. I removed the game from my computer on the 3rd day after launch without second thought. I wonder if I am too old to appreciate the new concepts or maybe I am too picky. Who knows. Anyways, if you look forward to finding old good time from this game, you might be disappointed but if you are WoW addicted and have lots of money, purchase it right away to enjoy similar entertainment. Expand
  70. May 16, 2012
    Average Hack'n Slash game, but a really bad Diablo game. Complete failure, and the user reviews speaks for itself. What bothers me the most, is the game itself, not the login difficulties. Below average graphics, pretty nice soundtrack, but HORRIBLE voice acting. Poor story, there is no Diablo feel to the game at all. No RPG elements, such as character levling, it's all automated.

(0/10) DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS, wait for a crack/private server!
  71. May 17, 2012
    This is a disgrace. Would have though Blizzard of all companies could have handled this well. Very disappointed. The customer service is crap. I mean what the hell, you can't change your character's server region when the game chooses the wrong for you in the beginning? FU blizzard. You deserve nothing from me anymore.
  72. May 17, 2012
    A huge disappointment. Blizzard what is that? What a f*** is that?! I must pay 60$ for this? I must pay 60$ for errors? The only problem is, I can't even play because of all the damn connectivity issues on Blizzard's end. So close....
    From Russia with love....
  73. May 17, 2012
    I should have cancelled my Pre-Order. I'm a Deployed service member, this always on requirement means I can't play this game in my free time. (We share 10 internet enable computers between all of us on this site). So I am basically stuck with a $60 box for at least 6 more months. Blizzard refuses to offer any kind of work around. Worse since I'm now deployed I don't have access to return the game for a refund either. Way to screw the service members blizzard! You try this with Heart of the Swarm and I'll just stop buying your products, it's not worth it.

My suggestion is wait for Torchlight 2, my friend in the states playing the beta says it's pretty nice, and it doesn't require always on internet.
  74. May 17, 2012
    Causalized game with too short campaign, server side singleplayer, it's ridiculous. I've never heard before that you have to be in queue for a singleplayer game. This is just a milking of the franchise, go buy Torchlight 2 instead.
  75. May 17, 2012
    Utter, utter garbage. I was in hysterics watching everyone whine about error 37 and was actually enjoying the hour I played before I got bored. Decided to play again, only to realise that this is just wow.

If I wanted to play WoW. I'd play WoW. It really is that simple.

Blizzard dumbing the game down to the point that its SO vanilla even a blind idiot could master it really doesn't help
    the matter. No stat points, no skill trees, runes arn't even collectable anymore? You get given everything on a set path... How the hell is that the customisation we all love from the diablo series?

Gone are the days of sharing and play testing different builds for the same character... Now at level 60 (ANOTHER garbage WoW move, lets reduce the level cap to 60 so they have to buy the expansion for another lousy 5 levels!), No PVP. Sigh. Quite simply. this is not diablo, Its utter commercial washout wow backlash. Torchlight was more of a diablo 3 than this sorry piece of garbage. D2 was clearly superior in every way, but obviously that was before WoW. When blizzard wern't terrified to try something other than WoW.

Glad I can sell this for more than I paid to get it hah. Enjoy another failed wow clone folks, I'm glad this is the end of the trilogy.
  76. May 17, 2012
    This game is simply Blizzard cashing in on the popularity of Diablo 1 and 2, which are terrific. This game simply has no redeeming qualities. Terrible choppy graphics, laggy game play, irritating sound track. This game is a disaster and probably the beginning of the end of Blizzard Entertainment.
  77. May 17, 2012
    Congrats! I bought something I can't play Single Player because their servers are jacked up. Why am I having to connect on-line to play Single Player? This is just hack and slash World of Warcraft...Which frankly with how WoW is today, very much the same. Skip this, stay with Valve and the Steam platform for games. I will continue to try to get my money back from Blizzard, but I doubt I'll even get it. Need a class action lawsuit against publishers for their illegal EULAs. Expand
  78. May 17, 2012
    What a huge disappointment! Quiet annoyed about having to fork out £44 for this. It is a terrible game and I want my money back. Its a lot to pay for a game and frankly I expected more. Its quiet obvious that I've paid £44 for the maintenance of servers so Blizzard can capitalize on their profits. Clearly very little of that money has gone into the development of this game. I'm not going to go over the connection issues and other bugs, they've been well documented. I want to talk about how I'm really bored of this game. Its a bland, its easy, its boring. The gameplay is so one dimensional its painful. When Blizzard first pitched this game we were promised a game that would require more strategy over the previous titles, but honestly, it more point and click than Diablo 2. And thats saying something. The storyline is basic, the twists are obvious, the music...oh don't get me started on the music! Its like Diablo has lost its soul. A lot of people have commented positively on the voice acting. I honestly don't see why. The actors sound too jovial for a game like this. There's no sense of danger, no sense of urgency, its like 'who cares' whether you kill Diablo or not. The fear of fighting your way through the world of sanctuary has gone. You cant take this game seriously because it looks like a cartoon. Even Hello Kitty looks more menacing than the monsters in Diablo 3.

And its the little things too like the sound effects. It sounds kak. You don't feel like your interacting with a system, rather passing through a load of screens. I was really looking forward to this game and ignored a lot of the negative comments directed towards it. This game had so much potential, I cannot believe that Blizzard have managed to sc@w it up.

If it was £20, then yea, fair do's you expect to have to take a gamble on a game at that price. But its £44! You expect something a lot more polished. Torchlight cost me £15 and that even though it doesn't have half the stuff Diablo 3 does, its still far more enjoyable. And I don't have to have a constant internet connection to play. C'mon Blizzard, that's a lot of money for people to pay, especially in this climate. What were you thinking?! Paying for a game like this would actually do more to encourage piracy than to put it off.

I was so annoyed that I created a metacritic account especially to express my annoyance. What I cant believe either are the critics reviews. Any reviewer worth their salt would not give this a positive score. Its just a joke. In my opinion their all sucking up to Blizzard and they should be ashamed of themselves. Consumers rely on critics to do their jobs so people don't get conned into buying something they won't like. I refuse to believe that every critic thought this game deserved over 80%. Not just because of personal experience, but because of the huge numbers of users that have given it a negative review. You might argue that there are over 800 positive reviews, but if you read them, you'll notice that alot of them are protest reviews against the negative one. So far I haven't seen one negative critic review and that says it all. We've been conned by Blizzard and we've been conned by the critics. I'm going to ask for my money back and I'm going to boycott Blizzard games from now on.
  79. May 17, 2012
    Not all people have good internet connection and it comes as big suprise that single player campaign requires an internet connection which has no real purpose of the single player experience. Blizzard has now become a company that cares about game sales rather than pleasing the hardcore fans that help them achieve there current status. SUCH A SHAME..
  80. May 17, 2012
    First I couldn't install the game 'invalid installation options'.... which was due to me clicking on the autorun button to install diablo 3 (Who knows).... I finally installed the game. And I can't enjoy the single player portion of the game as my internet connection drops out, and SINGLE PLAYER DISCONNECTS!! ... this is ridiculous... I never had such a stupid experience with a game before. Diablo 1 and 2 were made by a different development branch who are now working on Torchlight 2... Will be buy that, at least I will be able to enjoy Single Player....

If the always on internet connection is required to stop pirating, then you are just slapping everyone in the face who actually purchases the game.

Unimpressed Blizzard ...

The only good thing i've enjoyed so far is the music from the installation screen.
  81. SIl
    May 17, 2012
    For single play, Blizzard insisted gamers be online at all times, which is pathetic, limiting where and when they can enjoy their paid game. The result, with fantastic servers from Blizzard: Error 37 Error 75 Error 3006 Error 3003 Error 12 You get the the drift I won't list the 10,000 different errors you may encounter. For fans of D II and D I news aren't good either. The graphics lost their appeal and enthralling addictive dark quality. While it doesn't look as bas as LoL it doesn't look good appealing and diablo-like.

Foreshadowing Mist of Pandaria D III loses its RPG appeal. Levels are just numbers say goodbye talent points and skills, catering for angry birds and farmville players.

Like in Free-2-play MMORPG you can purchase better game changing items with real money, the difference being Diablo is not free and Blizzard takes its tidy profit cut on all auctions. Of course this is a boon for Chinese farmers and an invitation to hack accounts.

To summarise Diablo III may be interesting to young new players who never played Diablo II or III and want a quick game that can be played with one or two keys.

For the legacy players, the appeal may be much more limited.
  82. May 17, 2012
    This is the first ever single player game I have ever played that had a scheduled maintenance.
    Yes, there was a scheduled maintenance last night for 2hrs.. scheduled meaning there will be many more to come.. Again, I can't even enjoy playing solo just leveling because their servers have a weekly scheduled maintenance.
    Blizzard totally screwed us over with always online crap..
    Oh yea the
    game itself is short.. too short for a 12yr hiatus. As others have said, the graphics and average for this day and age, at times I felt like i was playing Diablo II again, but Diablo II was many years ahead of its time when it was released. I really hope Blizzard staff can get an idea of how the gamers feel and try to understand our feed back.. Expand
  83. May 17, 2012
    A one might be generous as of now... at first I bought the game just to be told I was below the system requirements and not even able to install the game. This isn't in the ToS or anything, spent a lot of time looking for a work around the only thing I was able to find is a crack for single player, but i bought the game... so I attempted to over-clock my cpu, alright that worked can now play the game, but reality isn't so kind as I find that my internet has been shut off and can not play the game. My internet is turned back on but my computer was dead as well prebuilt wasn't prepared for a .2 GHz overclock and had died later that day (RIP) I could play all modern day games just fine, such as the Witcher 2 thanks to my graphics card and for the short time I was able to have it installed I couldn't play due to my ISP hell the D2 copy that came with the game won't let me on to battle.net as "Unable to identify versions" sure my opinion may change when i rebuild my computer and am able to actually play the game, but for now it gets a one and a one only because i haven't been able to ply it Expand
  84. May 17, 2012
    I have waited for this game for long time, I paid, but I cant play !!! The game server is really bad, I'm always waiting for log in and always been kicked off by game server ! Especially, so many error messages occurred! It means that the product is not pass by QA, but it is on sail, I feel very disappoint !
    For DB3, BLZ is not the BLZ as before ! BLZ is dead !
  85. May 17, 2012
    a huge disappointment ! i can't even log on the server the play the game ! Can't you even control the amount of copies you sell ? I guess Blizzard only wants the money and that's all !
  86. May 18, 2012
    Why did it take them so long to make this game? Diablo 3 is basically a rip-off of previous diablo games. All character models looks like taken from the previous blizzard games with 0 inovation, same about the enviroment and level design. The game is addictive because of the loot and auction house system but the game play is very repetitive right from the start.
  87. May 18, 2012
    No customization for the characters, and no attribute points. Everything has been designed for noobs. Not for Diablo 2 lover.
    The game is too easy, to bright, to happy for sure.
    In addition, I still get Error#37, 4 days after the release and a very poor ping. This is just UNACCEPTABLE. I paid for a game, and I can't play in good conditions.
    I dont mind being permanently connected to the
    Internet even for single player mode as long as Blizzard is able to provide good servers capacity.
    Blizzard has screwed up Diablo, and my respect for them has decreased. I will just finish the game and remove from my PC. I'd rather play Titan Quest or Torchlight in OFFLINE mode.
  88. May 18, 2012
    Es una verguenza que te obliguen a tener una conexión permanente a internet hasta para jugar solo, he pagado por el juego y quiero jugarlo tambien cuando no pueda tener conexion.
    También es penoso que estén fallando tanto los servidores y fastidiando a tanta gente que se ha gastado el dinero en Diablo 3, que ya podrían gastar algo de la
    millonada que están ganando en poner más servidores y arreglar los fallos, algunos realmente graves (como el error 3006), entre otros. Quizá los servidores no hubieran estado tan saturados si, para empezar, no hubieran obligado a conectarse a todos los que quizás hubieran jugado offline para ir probando el juego en partidas individuales.
    La construcción de personajes con habilidades y atributos pasó a la historia, ahora exepto por el equipo que tenga cada personaje, todos los de la misma clase son clones, puedes elegir que habilidades estarán activas y cuales inactivas en cualquier momento, pero el proceso no es lo suficientemente rápido, ademas de que has de abrir otra ventana enorme que no te deja ver, como para permitirte hacerlo en el fragor de la batalla. Dicen que así es mas estratégico, pero en Diablo vas avanzando y en el mismo escenario por el que marchas te puede atacar una horda, seguidamente un mostruo peligroso y solitario, seguido de otra horda, y deseas que pudieras cambiar habilidades para hordas o monstruos solitarios sobre la marcha, por poner un ejemplo. Más que estratega hay que ser adivino.
    Visualmente el juego me ha gustado muchisimo, la trama tambien, los personajes son impactantes cuando atacan o usan habilidades, por lo que me fastidía más aún con un juego tan guapo el verme tan limitado a la hora de tener soltura usando las distintas habilidades y el hecho de que tengo la sensación de que no construyo un personaje, ya está hecho de antemano, más bien lo voy desbloqueando, y no puedo decidir que atributos quiero aumentar en detrimento de otros, por mi cuenta y riesgo.
  89. May 18, 2012
    A big disappointment for all of us who played DII for days on LAN. Blizzard has tried to please everyone who buys the game but the continual compromise leaves DII as the much superior game. The most damning thing I can say about Diablo III is that I will only play it once.
  90. May 18, 2012
    Connection errors, no SP, and a good amount of bugs. Played it for 3 hours after I finally got back on to their bad servers.... thank God they didn't actually put SP in. The gameplay overall is just bad and so far the story is worse than the others. Overall so far it is just trash with the Diablo name on it. No offline? No good game...
  91. May 18, 2012
    The sheer gall of blizzard is breathtaking ! You folks in America think you have it bad with lag and being booted ,my first attempt to play solo today I was booted on average every 6 minutes ,and lag in a single player game ? no LAN ? give me a break ! And folks who say don't buy it well I did not know I had to be permanently connected ,and as for licensing agreements ,if you disagree try returning it ,hah! as if ! Overall ,disgusting ! can't review it cos I can't actualy play it ! Expand
  92. May 18, 2012
    I was a fan of Diablo, actually it was the first game i've played online and i was waiting Diablo 3 for many years. But what did i get? Copy of Dungeon Siedge III, LOL! Diablo has the same graphics and gameplay. DSIII is a pretty good game, but it was released a year ago...
    Take Dungeon Siedge III, add always-online DRM to it and terrible service and you'll get Diablo 3.
  93. May 18, 2012
    Diablo is definitively not to be purchased at 50 or 40$. Mandatory internet connection is just wrong. We need solo player. Automatic skills selection is wrong. Tested on a friend PC, I will buy it when it is 10$. Does not deserve more. If you want a real great sequel to Diablo 2 go and support Path Of Exile which is what Diablo 3 should have been.
  94. May 19, 2012
    I have never played this game, but after seeing so many bad reviews and waiting all these years for it, the game has made me so mad, its almost like I've played it and I absolutely hate it. 0/10 Blizzard is bad.
  95. May 19, 2012
    I have never been so disappointedin a game as this. Bring all the worst traits of a multiplayer game into a single player experience. Lag, latency, warping....and I am not just talking about release day, they still happen now and its made the single player game frustrating to say the least. This may well be due to my substandard internet connection but whilst I expected to login to battle net I did not expect the single player game to be reliant on server connectivity.

I can't even be bothered to review the 'ACTUAL' game becuase half the time I just get screenshots of it due to lag spikes.

Only buy this game if you like this sort of game, have got a decent internet connection and nobody else in the household wants to watch a steaming movie or download something whilst you play. You will regret it otherwise.

If this is a sign of things to come then it will be the final nail in the coffin for PC gaming.
  96. May 19, 2012
    this is an absolute joke. even if it was the most beautiful and engaging game released ever (which it is not) it is still inexcusable to only be able to play the SOLO part of the game ONLINE. what if i don't have wireless in my house? what if i want to play on my laptop in my room where the signal is poor. what if i want to play it in the car? what if i want to play it on my lunch break at work where i don't have internet access? i have paid good money for this product and expect to be able to play it wherever and whenever i want. this is DRM gone mad and i hope someone gets fired for this joke of a release Expand
  97. May 19, 2012
    I played Diablo II semi-actively until 2010 and loved the game. Diablo III however is a different story: I tried it for free for 10 minutes and uninstalled it. This is a sad example how games are made today. All you need is few quality games made years ago, then you can produce a half-quality title and sell it abusing the brand.

I don't know if the players are really that retarded, or do
    the game houses just think so when they are making these games. Everything is simplified to the point playing is just following an arrow showing where to go and what to do. You don't even have to distribute your stats or plan what to build anymore, because you can re-spec your points anytime to suit your needs.

I think they really should go back to sprites (or maybe voxels). In my opinion, Diablo I and II looked awesome compared to this. Graphics were really grotesque. Now they're just same muddy polygon stuff like in every game.
  98. May 19, 2012
    Issues:
    1) ALWAYS ON DRM SUCKS!!!!!!!!
    2) If I wanted to play Torchlight I would have played the copy I already own, what is this? 3) Missing a lot of key features that made Diablo great like one example Scrolls, Identity Scrolls and so on are missing from the game. 4) Lack of customization even when you have that one option checked is severely lacking.
    5) $60 this game is NOT worth it,
    wait until its half price. 6) a decade for this? for shame, that money hungry company has lost their insight. Expand
  99. May 19, 2012
    After Completing the NIghtmare difficulty of this game there is little desire left to continue. The story line is not worth following twice. The gameplay is solid, but class imbalnce is quickly being discovered by players. Inferno mode (the final mode Blizzard said would take months to beat) is already begining to be completed four days in. The looting system is fine, but the auction house is horrible. No option to sort by bid price or time left, only dps and buyout. The graphics are nothing impressive, the cut scenes are nice but over half of them were released by blizzard as trailers! I honestly have no disire to continue to harder difficulties or play a diffrent class. Expand
  100. May 19, 2012
    What a disappointment. I'm talking about the gameplay and story, not the server issues, nor the big brother style DRM. Why were the enjoyable, established game mechanics of Diablo 2 abandoned to make a WoW clone. IF WE WANTED TO BUY WoW WE WOULD. Gamers buy new games precisely for variety, not for the same: a tired, dying franchise. Where are the great, enduring features of Diablo 2? Where are the randomly generated maps that gave us years of replay value? Diablo 2 required us to specialize within one character class. The result was a variety of builds for Barbarian, Sorceress, etc. Now, every class can redistribute skills at any time. Every character is a jack-of-all-trades within its class. Sorry, that's boring. Every Barbarian is the same. Every Wizard is the same. Etc. You could argue that specialization is limiting and therefor boring, but there's an answer. DEVELOP THE SPECIALIZATIONS MORE DEEPLY! There are further missteps within the game like the lack of difficulty, the brevity of the game (you can clear the game in one sitting as monk at normal difficulty) and the constant barrage of annoying cinematics. I can't list everything here, but I have to mention the complete nerf-ing of teleport. The skill is a pathetic, insulting shadow of what it used to be. You can't go through walls and it has a 15 second cool down. I'll leave it at that. I feel like Diablo died with Diablo 2. We have something like when Jerry Bruckheimer destroyed the Batman franchise. It was still a Batman movie, but it was also a colorful, hot mess that missed the point of what was great about Tim Burton's darker, clever Batman movie. Diablo's original team must be completely absent, because this incarnation lacks inspiration. It's a hybrid of tired WoW conventions. It abandoned the heart of what was unique, interesting, and exceptionally replayable about Diablo. Expand
  101. Jun 16, 2012