4.0

1. May 18, 2012
    Diablo is a Name in gaming that has been put up on a very, very high pedestal. And since the release of Diablo 2, which was a masterpiece in game design, we have had 11 years to dream of what was to come. 11 years for Blizzard to polish that Name on its pedestal and make it sparkle. Instead we have a game that, at its core, is a decent mediocre mutant spawn of WoW and of its predecessors.Diablo is a Name in gaming that has been put up on a very, very high pedestal. And since the release of Diablo 2, which was a masterpiece in game design, we have had 11 years to dream of what was to come. 11 years for Blizzard to polish that Name on its pedestal and make it sparkle. Instead we have a game that, at its core, is a decent mediocre mutant spawn of WoW and of its predecessors. A game that is full of a multitude of good ideas that have gone wrong, skewed from their original perfection of Diablo 2 by over-worrysome developers who were pressured by forces outside their control to make the game more accessible. *COUGH* ACTIVISION* COUGH*. In essence, Blizzard forgot the age old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". They forgot the Diablo community is built on a foundation of hardcore gamers, people who like customizing their character down to the last spec and skill point and who enjoy playing brutally hard single player, even if they are not connected to the Internet! The DRM Snafu alone is enough to enrage the entire Diablo community, just look around this forum, but poor graphics, a dumbed down skill system, and bugs such as not being able to use a basic attack skill adds insult to injury. When I first played as a monk, after the first 5 minutes of play I was locked out from actually using my weapons of choice, (a sword and a shield), because the game developers assumed I would want to use Monk-only type weapons. I was pissed. Diablo, at heart, should be a game based on the customization of YOUR character and the loot you find to suit your style of play. Instead we are forced into a cookie cutter mould of what the developer's believe we should be playing like. Why shouldn't MY Monk want to attack his enemies with a sword rather than a bow-staff or iron knuckles? The choice should be ours, but it is not. And due to all the aforementioned reasons I am disheartened to say this game is not the real Diablo "Name" that we grew to love, way up there on its pedestal, and does not live up to its hype. It is a shadow of its former self. However, despite this game not Truly living up to the Diablo Name, there are some moments during the campaign that feel somewhat magical. Hitting monsters with devastating spells and blowing them to bits is still as satisfying as it was 11 years ago. Some of the boss fights offer interesting challenges. The Cut Scenes are absolutely gorgeous, but are too few and far between. In the end I am entertained enough by the gameplay to continue on to the end of the game, though there are moments where I throw up my hands in disgust. I hope that in the coming months Blizzard finds a way to hotfix and patch its way through upgrading this game in to the one we all dreamed it would be: the one it had so much potential to be, but alas I fear the Diablo Name is doomed to gaming hell. So let's go play Torchlight 2!!!!!!! :D Expand
  2. May 19, 2012
    I am rating this game FAIRLY, but 6/10 means I probably won't buy any more Activision products. Another great company corrupted by humongous mega-corporations with all their "focus groups" and "market research".

The game itself was unplayable the first 3 days of launch even single player. That is absurd. To make matters worse, the game is a super easy snoozefest up until you fight

To make matters worse, the game is a super easy snoozefest up until you fight Diablo, and they made him ridiculously hard to kill. Boy, getting snared, then have diablo instantly teleport to you with no animation and 1 shot is fun??

So thanks for ruining another great franchise, activision / EA.
  3. May 20, 2012
    Its basically a mix of Diablo I, WoW Graphics and a painful online DRM. The story is simple and flat and the game mechanics are tailored to fit the needs of casual gamers. There are no Innovations in the game, it feels like Blizzard avoided every new idea, living in fear that it may fail. The characters, the story and the artwork were made to appeal to every possible audience (Diablo seemsIts basically a mix of Diablo I, WoW Graphics and a painful online DRM. The story is simple and flat and the game mechanics are tailored to fit the needs of casual gamers. There are no Innovations in the game, it feels like Blizzard avoided every new idea, living in fear that it may fail. The characters, the story and the artwork were made to appeal to every possible audience (Diablo seems to be a female, the mages look like asians, barbarians like europeans and one of the main characters (an angel) is black, seriously Blizzard, wtf ?). To sum it up, i got the feeling that Blizzard sold his soul in order to make as much money with this game as possible. Besides all of the above, the game is a very well made hack and slay game which is quite fun (if u get to play it -> online DRM), but its not the usual outstanding Bilzzard quality... Expand
  4. May 20, 2012
    D3's gameplay, I enjoy thoroughly. It's a well assembled updated version of D2. Deep amount of character customization, yet simple enough to fit well with the "click until your mouse breaks" playstyle. The game is addicting. Graphics are less than I hoped for, but not as awful as most are saying. Game is good...when it can be played. But the connection issues are unacceptable. I've been aD3's gameplay, I enjoy thoroughly. It's a well assembled updated version of D2. Deep amount of character customization, yet simple enough to fit well with the "click until your mouse breaks" playstyle. The game is addicting. Graphics are less than I hoped for, but not as awful as most are saying. Game is good...when it can be played. But the connection issues are unacceptable. I've been a blizzard supporter and closed beta tester for years. I played D1-2, WC 1-3, SC 1-2, then lived on WoW for a while. Beta tested WoW vanilla, BC, FT, and Cata, as well as SC2 and D3. I've enjoyed most all of the gameplay of the Blizz dev'ed games. But with D3, the online only option with relentless connection issues is unacceptable. I'm not in a place where online is always stable, so whether it be my ISP or Blizz's servers, I can rarely enjoy the game at all. I've put ~$900 into the company over the past 6 years, and I can't play this game I've been waiting for since I beat the LoD expansion pack to D2. This situation has vastly shaken my loyalty to the company. Expand
  5. May 25, 2012
    Diablo III is both an entertaining game AND a huge let down. Yes, combat in the "heat of the moment" is enjoyable and frantic and managing to kill entire mobs of monsters causing them to explode in a red mist of gore is to be relished and yet ... See, compared to Diablo II, you get a lot of smallish improvements:
    - loot is properly shared now
    - you can craft (although auction house ruins
    - loot is properly shared now
    - you can craft (although auction house ruins it, see later)
    - you have checkpoints and more waypoints
    - you now have actions with cool down periods like in MMOs which add some depth to the combat
    - you can wreck scenery
    - the story is a little more fleshed out (although you'll just get bored of it after a little while - it's pretty dull and slow)

But then you have the massive problems which Diablo II didn't have:
    - maps are far less random and pretty much feel the same on every playthrough meaning they're less fun to replay
    - you no longer are able to equip two weapon sets for quick switching depending on monster immunities
    - the game needs you to be always online no matter what - and kicks you quite quickly if you go afk for a little while
    - levelling up is really dull now with zero choices to be made. The game has really become gear-dependant which is why I dislike WoW so much - instead of making a clever build that works well with your friends, everyone is the same minus gear and the choice of what attacks to use.

The absolutely BIGGEST flaw is the auction house, however. It completely ruins the point of the game because it's sooo much easier to just pick up gold and buy new gear than to play the game to get it. After 20 hours of playing, I collected a good 100.000 in gold yet barely had any decent armour. With a mere 10.000 gold, I got a really kick ass outfit including weapons which saw me wading through monsters as if they were butter. Honestly, the auction house shouldn't have this big an effect on the game yet it does. It also completely makes crafting pointless. Why spend 1500 gold on a weapon that may turn out to be crap if you can get a really good yellow item for a third of the price?

You have quite a few smaller problems too:
    - the music and atmosphere in general are far less effective - a sentiment which most Diablo II players share
    - the graphics are pretty dated and are too WoW-influenced nor do they convey the more gothic feel Diablo II used to have
    - there's less items to pick up and the fun of the horadrics cube is gone
    - etc. etc.

Honestly, this is a very very mediocre copy of Diablo II minus the great atmosphere minus the balance, minus the character choices, with an auction house that ruins the entire game's premise and basically ... it's a poor attempt at a sequel made by people who clearly don't have the slightest idea what made Diablo II so good. Considering most are ex-WoW staff members, why am I not surprised?
  6. May 28, 2012
    How does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan forHow does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan for players not being locked to online play only! After over a decade, you would think that they would have many more diverse features and extended ideologies..... No Unique, magical or rare sets.....you need to skill up beyond the level of fair to MAKE your own sets.... Normal mode is more like Easy mode, with two more difficulties to follow.... Altough the game has been fun, and has a few new ideas, it is worthy of getting a 7 / 10.... but come on Blizzard... surely with over $300 million in the bank, you can make some "FREE" extras, and unlock the DRM for people to play offline or at home with their friends on a LAN withouth the need of a permanent internet connection??? Expand
  7. Jul 27, 2012
    Diablo 3, beautiful game, captures the Diablo 2 experience with smoother game and leveling. However, it keeps dropping the connection. Even after opening the ports that they tell you, you may find yourself having to repeat the game OVER and OVER again. Why, in a single player mode game, you need ot be online and subject to disconnects that cause you to repeat a map is beyond me.
  8. May 15, 2012
    Step 1. Take Torchlight
    Step 2. Add voiced dialogues
    Step 3. Release as a whole new game

This game gets the same score Torchlight got, since it's practically the same game just with slightly different graphics and voiced dialogues.
  9. May 17, 2012
    If Blizzard's name on this, no one would be drooling over this. The gameplay is far too easy, shallow, and repetitive. Nice atmosphere but the music is not memorable.
  10. May 17, 2012
    I'll give 1 point to each 6 minutes of continuous gameplay I could take, so I may be able to write a real review for the game... If even IGN can't write theirs, how would I????
  11. May 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so after having played this for about a week, i think i've played enough to give a verdict on the game.

First of all, it's not bad, not at all, so don't listen to the people who say it's crap. Second of all, it is, in my opinion, not as good as the previous game sin the series. Why? For me it all comes down to 2 things. Story and atmosphere. The atmosphere of this game is, in my opinion, very different from the first 2 games. Yes, i know Blizzard said that if they had done it darker the monsters would have blended in too well, but if i look at Diablo 2 i had a creepy feeling that something scary or bad would happen sometimes, and in Diablo 1 i didn't even dare go more than 3 floors down due to me being a scaredycat. With this game, i didn't even think twice and basically ran headlong into battle without even thinking about th horrors that were there.

For the story, i don't really know, i guess it just comes down to me not connecting with it as much as the previous games. I think something that influenced it migh be the way they build it up. In Diablo 2, you had the cinematics that basically shows what had happened before or after The Dark Wanderer had visited a place, whereas in this game you have cinematics that follow the characters that you travel with throughout the gmae. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but in my mind, it doesn't really give an incentive as to why we should be getting rid of Belial and Azmodan, the exception being the one movie showing Azmodan. Yes of course they're the last lords of hell, but would someone mind telling me what Belial is doing in Caldeum? Because i honestly don't remember being told about it in the game. And one other thing that for me is quite essential. How do Belial and especilly Azmodan know about the black soulstone? I mena, with Belial it at least makes a bit snese because he's been hanging out in Caldeum and captured Adria, but Azmodan has been hanging out in Hell and to me, it just seems like there's no reason why he should know about the black soulstone.

Oh and this is just a very personal opinion, but i feel that Tyrael not being an angel anymore takes a lot away from his character. Is that just me?

However, the thing i can praise about this game, is that it's still as fun to kick butt as it was in the previous games. It exciting to kill mobs and pray that you get that weapon that you've looked for forever. I actually also think that the changes made to the skill system aren't all bad. I can see that it makes a lot of different builds available, but it may also take some of the fun away of building your own spec and seeing how it works. But the new system is both good and bad, seeing as almost all skills should be a viable choice, but as i said before, it also takes some of the fun out of seeing how your spec works, and it wouldn't really have been that hard to add respecs to the game as they did for Diablo 2 in a newer patch.

So this is basically my opinion about some of the main points of the game. Hope some of you agree :P
  12. May 16, 2012
    Played trough the act I only, yet. The reason I don't give this game a 10 is because of connectivity issues. While I was able to play this game, I had faced lag and difficulty to log in often.
    But lets keep things in perspective. The game is true to the other diablo games. It is dark in tone, and the game-play is very good. The customization of your character is present, visually(you can change color of your armor, make it disappear) and systematically, with the runes and the fact that changing the current active ability during combat its very complicated.
    It is a good game, great art, nice graphics( people who are expecting FPS type of graphics dont understand much about gaming), and the story, so far, has being good, for a hack n slash game.
  13. May 16, 2012
    I love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain isI love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain is enthusiasm. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the fact that you aren't able to quick change the skills and I hope they will change that. And about the auction house. I don't care about it. If people are willing to buy items for real money - their deal and not mine.
    And last but not least the contious necessity to be online. I had a few issues beeing thrown into the main menu because D3 hadn't had no internet connection.
  14. May 18, 2012
    Overall the game is good, but we all would think this game would be better if we were not comparing it to the game we all played 12 yrs ago...since it plays almost identical to it. That being said I have to say I am extremely disappointed in the fact there are hardly NO decisions to me made by the player. For all intense and purposes this game could be played my an ape or my dog for thatOverall the game is good, but we all would think this game would be better if we were not comparing it to the game we all played 12 yrs ago...since it plays almost identical to it. That being said I have to say I am extremely disappointed in the fact there are hardly NO decisions to me made by the player. For all intense and purposes this game could be played my an ape or my dog for that matter. The only decisions that Blizzard left to the players are:
    1-Which damage dealing ability to I pull out onto my available slots. 2-What special ability do I activate......And that's about it.....seriously?????? Other than those 2 items and I guess what do I buy/wear, there really is no customization to this game at all. Before in D2 if I wanted to put a ton of points into Whirl Wind and just WW everything to death, I could. If I wanted to dump all my skill points into Strength....I could. As I stated before, this is a good game...but its also a game that feels like it could of been made 8 yrs ago. Did I seriously need to wait 12 yrs for "background environment that can be destroyed"???
    ----Give me my freedom to make my character play and feel the way I want it to---Is that too much to ask for? Sigh :(

Everything aside, I should not be spending more time on a simple, easy, $15 game from Steam 'Dungeon Defenders', which I have spent several hundred hours playing and is what I actually logged into last night after only playing D3 for 3hrs....and I was up till 4am play DD.
  15. May 21, 2012
    Is D3 a good game? Yes, in most aspect it is a really good and enjoyable game. However this game was not made by the Diablo 2 team, they left Blizzard a long time ago. And whats worse is Activisions medling with Blizzard. I blame the whole DRM problems on Activision!

Blizzard! Please, you dont need Activision! Kick them out ASAP! You dont need thier help in any way, they are just bringing you down!

I support removing the LAN support to force people to play online, I can give you that, but not being able to even start up the game, no not even INSTALL the game without a connection is so retarded it's sad!

It feels like this game was made by blizzard WOW devs who had played D2 but have no idea what it was about. 1: Obviously the DRM, its horrible end of story!

2: 4 player coop? Why oh why! Make it 8 again! I have more than 3 friends I want to be able to play with at the same time! D2 had 8! Why do you go backwards? Stop using the Left 4 Dead four players model! It works for them but not here!

3: The random item stats. Sure I can buy that rare items can have random stats, its Ok for me. But set items and legendarys? NO! Immortal kings is a barbarien set! It should NEVER have the possibilty to have int on it! The item system is so random you will probably see Wizards use IK or even Barbs use Thalrasha or items like that, because the stats are 100% random.
    Sets and legendarys should have fixed stats, BUT the numbers can differ, lets say the IK chest have Str, vit and dex, and it can have 75-125 of each but its random whay number you end up with.
    This is the worst part of the game!

4: identifying items, this has no purpose at all. You can do it when you pick up the items. I can understand removing the scrolls, but as it was made its pointless! Just make the item drop identified insted! Its just busy work.

5: The lack of personalization, every single Barb or wizard will look and have the exact same stats. You have no personalization choises what so ever except from gender and name. I want to be able to put out some stats on my char, not be the exact same cookiecutter class like the rest of the players! Give us choises damn it!

Good things about the game.

1: The loot system in MP. I really like the loot system, everyone has his or her own loot so you cant "ninja" items. This is really awesome!

2: The difficulty, no need to say anything about it, it makes the game hard and enjoyable for everyone. If you cant handle Hell or inferno, then stay on nightmare.

3: The skill system, sure I would like to see more skills, it gets boring after a while. But its easy to understand and use.

Overall the good outweighs the bad, this is a really fun game, when it works. If you are a real hardcore D2 fan, this might not be the game for you. And Blizzard, this is the weekest game you have made so far! This isnt up to your standards. We expect more from you!
    And I cant stress this point enough! LEAVE ACTIVISION! The quaility of your games are declaining, and it shows that you dont need them! You have fans that loves you! If it was a money issue I belive that you could make a purly fan financed game without a problem! We love Blizzard! We hate Activison!
  16. May 16, 2012
    Forget it's called Diablo 3. Think of it as Gauntlet Legends: Diablo Edition. Then it's fun because it is an action adventure arcade game with 4 player support !
  17. May 25, 2012
    I previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into aI previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into a group of enemies on hell or inferno, even if you have good gear you will get destroyed.

Graphics are slightly outdated but the gameplay is smooth and fluid, while it isnt one hundred percent like diablo 2 I can say it has entertained me when diablo 2 became stale after six years, and it entertained me for the first week for around 86 hours, if it were not for a blizzard management technicality and flawed system it would have probably entertained me for more.

The first one is easy to understand, the second one you gotta really look at it from a pov of someone who has received threats in blizzard products with your real name attached...

The first issue is, due to the rl auction house, the amount of accounts getting hacked is extremely high, and they can only do a total of 2 character rollbacks... per account... This is a massive issue since the rl auction house being in game really makes it easier for real money traders (rmts) to expedite the process allowing them greater ease to hack into an account. On top of this there is, apparently, a security leak on blizzards side, as well.

This is a customer service related issue, a technicality really but it results in a permanently locked account along with other management issues made by blizzard. I never give my real name out to people, I always use a pen name. Problem is, Back in the wow glory days of vanilla when the game was good I received death threats from some of the players in the game, some of which were able to look my name up and send some mail via the postal system with death threats as well...

Well when your account gets hacked you gotta submit a photocopy of your driver license, birth certificate (if a minor) etc, cant just give them the last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase the item. But whatever, I had no trojans, no viruses, no worms, and no spyware/adware on my computer, checked with 3 different virus scanners. On top of this I never entered my information into the login page unless I logged into the diablo 3 site, itself, making sure I manually type the address bar. My account is now in limbo since due to previous death threats I received on a previous account I didn't want people to know my real name, technicality got my account permanently locked and unable to restore it. Of course since blizzard loves to post your real name on rl friend chat which makes it easier to communicate cross game... Well you see what im saying...

Either way, fantastic game, 8 out of 10 without blizzard management related issues, I don't even care about being able to connect on the first month of the game, honestly, I care that I cannot connect in the future since blizzard loves to give away my private information... Unfortunately, due to this over site on blizzards part, 7 out of 10.
  18. Jun 5, 2012
    Revising my review down a point after playing it more... because I'm already bored. The real difficulty for me here is that while the hack and slash aspect is well designed, so much of the other stuff was screwed up. The story is both lame and unnecessary at the same time. It feels like there's less content then previous games. The server issues are very well known at this point. TheRevising my review down a point after playing it more... because I'm already bored. The real difficulty for me here is that while the hack and slash aspect is well designed, so much of the other stuff was screwed up. The story is both lame and unnecessary at the same time. It feels like there's less content then previous games. The server issues are very well known at this point. The amount of lousy drops is really something compared to previous Diablo games, and Blizzard's admission that drops were deliberately made worse in order to protect the auction house economy is just shocking. Who plays Diablo for an auction house? The entire heart of the franchise is killing stuff for loot, not pretending that we're on eBay! (And the less said about the real money AH, the better.)

It was fun for a little while, but that didn't last. At this point I think I'm already close to being done with it. For the price, the value wasn't really there. Terribly disappointed considering Blizzard has always delivered before.
  19. Jul 30, 2012
    After a couple of month of playing I have to re-review the game. Total score 5. The game is the least fun of the 3 games of the saga, with very poor plot - linear and very simple game mechanics - decent graphic - decent music (nothing extraordinary) - very short story. In summary nothing to compare to its predecessors. In a view month it became tedious.
  20. May 21, 2012
    Summary : A beautiful game that expands on his precedors, but has some flaws some people will not enjoy.

Diablo III continues the story from Diablo II. 20 years after defeating the prime evils, new threats are closing to the world of the Sanctuary. Graphics: Let's face it. Blizzard has never made top-of-the-line graphics. You can play this game on a variety of configurations with no

Graphics:
    Let's face it. Blizzard has never made top-of-the-line graphics. You can play this game on a variety of configurations with no problems. The colour palette is definitely brighter than the other games of the series, but it does it's job. The animations and physics make you feel that you ARE in a world where death looms on every corner. Sound:
    The voice acting is hit and miss and depends on your personal preferences. Overall, there are much more lines than in the previous installments. The music is more ambiental this time, there are only a bunch of high-profile tracks in the soundtrack. It blends nicely in the background, but nothing particularly stands out.

Gameplay:
    Oh boy, here we go. There were a lot of changes during the game's development process.
    Skill trees are out. Custom stats are out. And this works for the better.

After the Normal difficulty, the game gets much harder, mobs hit harder and champion packs get more powers. The champion packs can be much, much harder than the bosses and will take you by surprise.
    This is where the freely available skill changes come in handy. You have to think what you want for the particular encounter - do I want more defensive skills? Burst? Sustained single target damage? Am I lacking mana? Should I activate a mana-return/regen rune ? This makes for a lot of combinations which make the game extremely fun.

Itemization:
    Well. It has been discussed. Stats on items are randomized. You can get horrible legendaries, you can get incredible blues. This situation can and should be improved by Blizzard.

Lag:
    Yes. The servers have problems sometime. You can have horrible, disconnecting lag. Always-online can be a nuissance and you should think if this situation bothers you or not. I feel that this could have been improved before launch, but I hope that Blizzard can get on top of their game and fix these concerning problems.

Story:
    Not spoiling anything, the story is incredibly blunt and in your face. It feels weird that I cared about the followers' stories more than the main story. There are many plot-holes and bad pacing problems. The best thing you can do here is to talk to all the main characters and try to patch in the holes.
  21. May 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game play is average, would be a 10/10 if released in 2008, Classes are mediocre and nothing new. Graphics is all over the show, some terrain is amazing while places such as heaven)looks utter trash dropped straight in from WoW. The character models are hideous and why the hell did they make Diablo look like Alien?

The voice acting at times is the worst part of the game and the music isn't dark and gripping enough, I never felt like i was in a scary dungeon. Worst part of the game is the weak story, its a true let down. butterfly witches? u kidding me?

I've only crashed once since release, but the constant down time and action house bugs are annoying. Only being allowed 10 items on the auction house really sucks too. Game play 7.5/10
    Graphics 6/10
    Sound 6/10
    Story 4/10
    Functionality 7/10
    Total 6.1/10
  22. May 15, 2012
    I honestly can't believe how completely bad this is. It's probably mostly just all of the hype that I had for it, but this doesn't live up to D2 in any way, shape, or form. Am I rating it especially low due to my broken expectations? Probably. But oh well.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Actually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined theirActually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined their sequels by trying to update to more "modern" graphics, AoE2 to AoE3 for example, Dungeon Keeper to DK2, or Mech Commander to MC2. And at the end of the day, gameplay > graphics. Enough said.

Personally I think the game looks great, and reflects the rest of Blizzard's stylised persona. The story is good, if not entralling, and the characters are great. Character development isn't fantastic, it's very stream-lined and could perhaps be deemed dumbed down. You have 6 skill slots with multiple options and glyphs, the first 2 being your clicking options, and the next four being keyboard 1-4. It would be nice if there was an option to flick between 2 premade sets for different situations, especially in multiplayer where you cannot pause.

I haven't tried all the features yet, but after finally getting past several error codes yesterday, 2 friends and I had a little bash through some of Act 1. It's pretty fun, and when it works, it works smoothly. The game does seem rather easy though, and I think hardcore will be the way to go for most gamers, though boss-fights are gonna be scary!

This isn't Diablo 2, and it isn't a piece of art. DRM and server issues aside though, it's a pretty enjoyable game.

PS, to those who struggled to get on, I found the servers became busiest at around 3.30pm, gives you a hint about those who have been raging below!
  24. May 18, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with Diablo when you look it at for what it is. It's a basic hack slash, looting, RPG. In that respect, it can be fun. The problem with it lies in the fact that its predecessors, the ones that generated all the fans, sport a superior RPG model. The lack character customization may help casual gamers who purchased the title out of hype, but majority of playersThere is nothing wrong with Diablo when you look it at for what it is. It's a basic hack slash, looting, RPG. In that respect, it can be fun. The problem with it lies in the fact that its predecessors, the ones that generated all the fans, sport a superior RPG model. The lack character customization may help casual gamers who purchased the title out of hype, but majority of players buying this game day one are not casual, or were actively looking for a great RPG based on the pedigree of the series. Also, lack of customization limits how invested a player will be in the game. Combine that with dated visuals, and repetitive game play, you have an easily forgettable title that many will drop after a month of play. Simply put, this game was in development so long that the gaming industry blew by it. Expand
  25. May 23, 2012
    Good game with some glaring deficiencies The Good: Gameplay is very engaging. Abilities feel epic, classes seem to be well-thought out and skills are unlocked and mapped intelligently.

Graphics aren't amazing, but the art scheme works well and they are about on par with 2010 graphics. Ambience and overall music is great. Is not taxing on low end systems. The Bad: Voice

Ambience and overall music is great.

Is not taxing on low end systems.

The Bad:

Voice work is AWFUL. Not just the voice acting, but the script itself is very weak. The plot only holds value to those who have played the earlier games.

Difficulty modes have been scaled interestingly and pigeon hole the player into stacking Vitality (HP) doesn't matter what your class is. On the Nightmare mode (difficulty up from Normal) I was one-hit by the first boss, with absolutely amazing gear on. Nothing broken, but playing Demon Hunter with a damage build and if I can't avoid the attacks I die. No more flame builds where the player can torch everything down. Little reward for people who actually know the game and RPG's in general. After I realized the above fact, I turned the game off and returned to Skyrim. No replayability for me and I am a hardcore RPG fan.
  26. Sep 7, 2012
    The game looked nice, played fantastically, and was very addictive for the first 100 hours or so. Considering I can play through most campaign based games in under 20 hours. After I hit about 200 hours I can't even think about playing. Its core mechanics are overall very great but where Diablo fails is keeping itself new and refreshing. Randomized layouts of the various dungeons is notThe game looked nice, played fantastically, and was very addictive for the first 100 hours or so. Considering I can play through most campaign based games in under 20 hours. After I hit about 200 hours I can't even think about playing. Its core mechanics are overall very great but where Diablo fails is keeping itself new and refreshing. Randomized layouts of the various dungeons is not enough to make this game seem like anything more than running through the same enemies multiple times for items (Although I understand that is the point for some people). The newly added paragon system actually turned me away from the game even more. Patch 1.0.4 added something like 1000+ more hours of gameplay just to reach max level. I don't have the time or the patience to farm some act on some mission for 1000 hours. Having to use the Auction House to progress can also be slightly annoying as it takes away any self reliance. All in all, you'll probably get your money's worth in time played but something about the game makes you feel like you just wasted your time. Expand
  27. Sep 25, 2012
    Passable as a game, but certainly the downsides hurt every aspect of it. The auction house means you're just grinding for gold to buy better items than you'll ever find, and of course you're stuck with it always being there since always-on DRM doesn't let you play offline. Just play Torchlight 2 if you want the true successor since those are the devs that made Diablo and Diablo 2 anyway.
  28. Nov 14, 2012
    I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time.I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time. Playing through again is kind of a chore- the plotline is pretty terrible, so that's certainly not a reason to go through again. Once you have all the skills, the runes are not that compelling of a reason to continue leveling up. Gear is hard to come by, as certain attributes are nearly useless for certain classes. Then again, you already all know this. The game is not as bad as has been said (you're pretty much guaranteed to put more than 30 hours into the game, which is, in my opinion, worth the price), but then again- I wasn't a D2 fanatic myself. I played casually in D2, and feel that D3 is an upgrade in certain ways, but a downgrade in others (plotline, atmosphere, and character customizability). Expand
  29. May 15, 2012
    The game itself is fantastic. I have very few complaints there as they've improved on a number of things since D2. Unfortunately Blizzard decided it was a good idea to require an always online connection for single player, meaning you lose your map every time you sign out, you risk lag induced stuttering if there's a problem on their end or yours, and LAN isn't supported. For people thatThe game itself is fantastic. I have very few complaints there as they've improved on a number of things since D2. Unfortunately Blizzard decided it was a good idea to require an always online connection for single player, meaning you lose your map every time you sign out, you risk lag induced stuttering if there's a problem on their end or yours, and LAN isn't supported. For people that mostly wanted to play online, that's all fine, but for the significant portion of users that are only interesting in single player and/or LAN, Blizzard has thrown in completely unnecessary problems with this ridiculous DRM. To make matters worse, they weren't ready for the launch despite repeating their mantra "it will be out when it's done" for the past several years. Many users, myself included, couldn't log on for hours after the release, and midway through the day the servers went down again. I also found that after logging off and back on, all my keybindings had reverted to the default, so there are definitely still bugs that need to be ironed out. I expect these day 1 problems from Bethesda, which is why I don't buy their games until they've been out for months or years, but Blizzard has always promised a polished, complete product on release. Sadly, they have not delivered that. As a result, I will not be buying any full price Blizzard titles in the future and will completely boycott any future releases with ridiculous DRM. It's sad to see Blizzard sinking to the ranks of companies like EA and Ubisoft.

If it weren't for the DRM, Diablo 3 would get a 9/10 from me. But it has this horrible DRM and a terrible launch, so 5/10 is the most it deserves. Don't buy Diablo 3, at least not until the price comes down. Blizzard doesn't deserve to be paid full price for a game that was so flawed on release.
  30. May 16, 2012
    A disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge overA disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge over other players. There is no reason to get that edge since there is not PVP, instead in one of the future releases they are going to create an arena. Overall if you are new to diablo series feel free to buy this title as its a fun hack and slash. If you played previous Diabloâ Expand
  31. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, Diablo 3 was a little disappointing compared to what Blizzard and everyone else hyped it to be. Gameplay was by far the best thing about this game, and abilities are really **** satisfying. I loved playing my Barbarian and ripping through enemies while needing to stop and strategize if you see some rare pack of unburied. The gameplay had a lot of drawbacks, though. For one, the game doesn't get at all difficult until you trudge through the first difficulty to just play the same game only slightly harder. Randomization helps a bit, but it was fairly annoying to not be able to choose your difficulty right off the bat and it really adds an element of forced replay value. Game was laden with cutscenes that cut into the flow of the game and don't really do anything but say what already happened. Did I mention it was short?

Graphics were "eh". The art style was fine and got sufficiently grimdark for my tastes at some places (notably king leoric's torture basement, whatever its name was). The actual implementation of the style was a little **** Even on max settings, Diablo 3 looked like it would be a great game for a smartphone, and the technical graphics are crappy. Textures were terrible, and there were jaggies errywhere. The art direction kind of seemed like the lazy way out.

The story of the game, as expected when it was announced to be written by Metzen, was **** Most dialogue was extremely generic, and character development was nonexistant. Your followers had a few backstories, but they were relatively short and none of them were particularly original. There were a lot of retcons present (Izual and Butcher coming back, some various things involving Diablo, and quite a few dialogue points). Characters like Leah and Tyrael (apparently now Tyrone) were pretty unlikeable and bread and butter. Tyrael gets tricked like 3 times in the game by different people, and decides to throw Diablo off the bridge WITH THE **** SOULSTONE INTACT, and then takes his place as "Wisdom". Nice one Blizzard. At least, it provides some evidence of an expansion pack that will no doubt be overpriced.

My main gripe with this game is the **** DRM. Having to be online and WAIT IN A QUEUE for singeplayer is absolutely unacceptable. The constant server updates and mantenience eats into the time you'd otherwise be enjoying yourself, and sometimes these restarts can place you all the way at the beginning of the Act you were on, causing a lot of frustration. If you don't make it to a checkpoint in time, these server problems WILL make you start to a point 30 minutes earlier. Not to mention the game was nearly unplayable the day it was release, when Blizzard had months to iron out things through stress test results. The game was laggy in singleplayer, too. Coop is fine but people tend to rush everything so I don't really suggest going into coop unless you have friends with D3 or if you've already completed the game.

TL;DR Game is fun, but that's pretty much all it gets right
  32. May 18, 2012
    Half good half bad. Too easy. Real â
  33. Jun 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had evenDiablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had even ended, and no review or score should hold launch issues against a game that sold over 3.5 million copies in it's first day. Ignoring the the launch day disaster leaves us with a game that, while expertly produced, may not be so fondly remembered by history as previous installments in the franchise have been. For starters, Diablo 3's art direction (however much criticism was leveled against it during development) is as polished, focused, and well executed as all Blizzard games have become expected to be. The graphical fidelity of Diablo 3 is not state of the art; and for a very good reason. It was never meant to be. Diablo 3's graphical requirements are designed to be accessible, and in this regard the development team at Blizzard for Diablo 3 have done quite well despite the limitations they set for themselves. The lonely, desolate feel of Diablo 1 & 2 is still present in the third dimension, and overall design is still top notch. The cinematic cutscenes in Diablo 3 are probably the highest quality that can be produced with current technology and look fantastic. Unfortunately while the characters in Diablo 3's cutscenes are all jaw-gapingly pretty, Diablo 3's story fails to garner a similar reaction. In all honesty Diablo 3's writing is not bad enough to induce vomit, but it will certainly work your gag reflexes. Which is unfortunate because one of the best parts of Diablo 2 was it's dark, mysterious story of interweaving stories culminating in a showdown with Diablo, and ultimately resulting in the destruction of the Worldstone. Diablo 2's engaging story was certainly one of the factors behind the hype buildup for Diablo 3. I won't spoil anything about Diablo 3's story, but it's safe to say that story will most likely not be a replay value for most people. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately depending on how you look at it) Diablo 3's story and campain are fairly short. Expect to be through the campaign on normal difficulty in anywhere from a few hours to a day, depending on how completionist you tend to be. Nightmare difficulty takes only slightly longer, and is only slightly more difficult as well. Hell mode presents a fair leap in difficulty from both normal and nightmare difficulties, but by the time you beat the story for the 3rd time you will most likely be at or around level 60 with decent enough gear to run all 3 difficulties without too much trouble. Inferno, however, is a different story altogether. Most player's first experience in Inferno mode will most likely be dying to cannon fodder that are suddenly and mysteriously able to kill less durable classes in only a few swipes. More problematic are field minibosses which are transformed from what were essentially free magic quality loot into literal roadblocks preventing you and your friends (if you happen to be playing with them) from moving on. This is because Loot tables are set up to drop the most desirable and consistently level 60 gear from field bosses to encourage grinding out caverns and maps, and as a result field bosses are meant to be the most difficult encounters. Most actual story related boss encounters including Diablo itself are rather scripted and easy to defeat even on Inferno, and the loot they drop is accordingly scaled down. The result being that players are discouraged from farming bosses over and over and are instead encouraged to run entire dungeons or indeed acts to farm the rarest of loot. It isn't a bad thing to encourage per se, but fighting the lords of hell holds significantly less gravitas when reading their attacks tends to play out like an intense game of Simon Says.

But while the difficulty of Inferno at first encounter is frustratingly high, the actual mechanics and features of the game itself are conflictingly shallow. Gone are the stat points, skill points, and inventory management of Diablos past. In Diablo 3 everything is automatic, and you are given the option at a click of a button to create a town portal anywhere and anytime you want. The auction house is a good way to obtain items that are most likely leagues better than the ones you find for a relatively low price, and the addition of a real money auction house is honestly just valid response to gold farmers who would otherwise offer the same services. In the end, Diablo 3 is a well produced Blizzard product which does ARPG as well as is possible within the current formula. Which is a downright shame because Diablo 3 could have been a Blizzard's biggest chance to turn things upside down and breathe new life into the aging ARPG genre.
  34. Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, this is how i feel about this game after reading the reviews, then got the game because i want to play it anyways. "Derrrrrrhh derrh derrrpp derpp hurrrpp..hulp..durhur."
  35. Oct 17, 2014
    Its hard to give fair score to this game, but ill do my best. First of all, I bought it to have some fun and earn some cash. At start the game wasnt as good as i thought, but the ah aspect was quite ok, and i got my money back (for the game and the laptop i bought to play it so + for that aspect).
    Graphics - quite nice, run on a fine engine, it took some time for me to accept a bit less climatic enviroments and a bit uninspired settings but overall strong 7/10.
    Audio - sounds/voice acting are top notch (10/10) but music is waaay worse than the first diablo (id give it 1/10 - cant remember even one theme). So id be 6/10.
    And finally lets get to gameplay - its way more dynamic, than previous settlements but its also dumbed down. No matter how hard blizzard tries to change ballance, You alway search for items witch 1-2 specific bonuses (like attack speed, critical hit chance/damage). ITS JUST BORING. In previous DIABLO You had way more options to build Your characters, now You must do it this one specific way or Your avatar will just suck compared to the ones using "best build". Its just plain bad concept. The problem is, this was made to cash in from auction house which was fine option but now it is removed so we got really broken product.
    To sum things up: gameplay is quite addicting but overall You fell like playing unfinished product and for that it misses perfect score by a mile.
    VERDICT: Good game, but it seems after years of draining cash from WOW fans Blizzard lost its touch. 7/10
  36. Apr 26, 2015
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC
    * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC
    * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act
    * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go
    * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i kill all bosses, enemys, everything with two spells

so basically you dont create character AT ALL, you can only find items, that's it

In D2 everyone had to read various character builds, guides, save skills up to level 30 and many more.

And in D3 everything is dumbed down completely. D2 also had great replayability value as HUGE levels was randomly generated. Now levels are same and ultra samll.

surely Diablo 3 still nice game but its not really Diablo anymore.

+ not bad graphics + sound, translation, story - dumbed down for casual to obvilion
  37. May 19, 2012
    Pros: Diabloness; Replayability; Sweet sound and music; Good level design; Looooooooot

Cons: Very shallow level of player customization (you customize with gear which is generally a product of luck+number of hours played, you customize with limited skill selection... but a whole customization angle, stat point allocation, is done automatically - a little hand-holdy for my liking and rules out some player decisions and custom builds); The dark gritty look of Diablo which was appealing to so many many has been replaced with a rather cutesy graphical style that moves the overall look somewhere between Torchlight's very cartoony style and Kingdom of Amalur's pastel tones - overall it looks a lot like Dungeon Siege 3 graphically... for a game intended to be a descent into hellish landscapes of the Diablo universe, they've adopted far too cute a graphical style for this old Diablo 1 and 2 player, and they needed to consider their market here.... not 10 year olds with that certificate, game world, and likely fan base; The "oh god please why did you do that" online requirement. THIS is why so many user reviews on metacritic range between 0 and 5. The game REQUIRES that you play permanently logged into battlenet servers... yes, even single player. Couple that with the inevitable server congestion particularly in the first few days and you get a game that you cannot play when you want to. And the thing that irritates the most is the rationale for Blizzard doing so. Wait, it's so you can play multiplayer and chat to people and have online achievements and trade gear with others and reduce the chance of in-game cheating isn't it? No, it blatantly isn't. Because those could be accomplished in multiple ways that didn't fundamentally require that every moment you played as a single player was done online. I get achievements in offline steam games that purely upload stats after sessions or at the next online opportunity. I get to play multiplayer in numerous single player games by selecting multiplayer options. If I want online chat I can go online, same for trading and other features. This leaves exposed the real reason our game (or our game licence as the EULA so dramatically reminds us) is fully tied to battlenet servers and is forced to be played online: as a misguided and failed anti-piracy measure. Misguided and failed for the simple reasons that pirates will be played a cracked version that doesn't require being online at all, and crucually, will be doing so WHILE PAYING CUSTOMERS CANNOT. When battlenet is down and we can't use the software we payed for, the pirates won't be affected. This type of anti-piracy measure only hurts real customers, game pirates work around the measure and avoid the negative consequences of the measure (i.e. server congestions and downtimes). It's a popular move in some game companies (EA love it). These companies need to know how much their customers hate it, how easy it is for the pirates to circumvent it, and how it ultimately ends up hitting the real paying customers and not the intended targets. They spend money that could be invested into the actual game on groups of self-aggrandizing security teams that have sold them a lie, the lie that by taking this path they will reduce piracy - it's **** It doesn't do that at all. It... just... hassles... and... demonizes... your... paying.... customers. End rant.

Difficulty levels. Normal is WAY TOO EASY. Yes I know it's meant to be accessible, and there are way harder difficulty levels in wait for those completing the story on normal. But many gamers don't like to splurge all the way through with zero challenge before they unlock a challenge. A game should challenge the player the first time it is played through too. By all means have an easy mode for weaker players, cater to all levels of ability to ensure a challenge appropriate to skill... but don't force skilled gamers to play all the way through the whole experience BEFORE they can play a game that challenges them (by which time they've less incentive to play, albeit mitigated by the game's decent level of replayability). Here's how I would have done it (though I'm no expert): make normal way harder, to the point when a typical gamer will die many times throughout; have an easy difficulty level for those that are more casual gamers or the squeamish that cry too much when they die a lot; have one difficulty level above normal available from the outset for the tough gamers that want it; then have your other much harder difficulty levels unlock as they do. Simplez. All players catered for, no requirement that pro gamers go for a long walk in a heavily spoilered park without a feeling of challenge.

Overall, an enjoyable game with many of the aspects present necessary to give players their loot-hunting Diablo goodness, but one marred with a crappy anti-piracy measure and some watered down ****
  38. May 28, 2012
    After actually being able to play the game, I am now rereviewing it. The game is pretty fun, the loot system very well done. Combat is enjoyable, as is exporation. The addition of random dungoes and random mini-quests is quite entertaining and boosts replay value.

A couple of points have been subtracted for the Always On DRM, and the inability to distribute attribute points manually.

Overall I'd recommend it, but Blizzard *really* needs to get away from the auto-point distributing.
  39. May 22, 2012
    I can share in my fellow gamer's frustration with the connection issues at launch. However, I'll be reviewing the game itself, not connection or DRM. The majority of the negative reviews I've seen trumpet these two complaints as their main bullet points. That's not rating the art, that's rating it's delivery. That's the equivalent of giving The Avengers a 3/10 because you waited in aI can share in my fellow gamer's frustration with the connection issues at launch. However, I'll be reviewing the game itself, not connection or DRM. The majority of the negative reviews I've seen trumpet these two complaints as their main bullet points. That's not rating the art, that's rating it's delivery. That's the equivalent of giving The Avengers a 3/10 because you waited in a long line for your tickets and your theater smelled bad. I'm not trying to dismiss the shortcomings of the game itself, because there are certainly a few. The graphics may be dated. Veterans of this franchise know this has always been the case. One of Diablo II's biggest demerits was the aged visuals. The art styling has certainly changed from the previous entries. I like it when a developer takes risks going for a specific style. If every game I played strived for photo realism I'd get pretty bored. I get what they were trying to do artistically, with the whole epic story on a painted canvas, and I personally liked it. I do think the game is too bright by default. Even changing the gamma settings to their lowest in-game wasn't enough. I had to adjust my monitor's settings. You could claim my display wasn't calibrated properly, but I would take that as a direct insult and slap you silly. The lack of talent points... disappoints. See what I did there? This does make it feel like an RPG-Lite. There were certain encounters during the game where it was convenient to swap out skills that better suited the situation. Still... I think a respec option or dual spec would have appeased myself and many others more than the runes solution. I like customizing the spells but it doesn't feel like the character you're playing is your own, like the predecessors. I'm not sure why this design decision was made. Maybe to appeal to a novice/new generation of gamers? Cause the game didn't have a large enough fan base... The game's music and sound effects are exceptional. If you think different, go order another set of Sonic Earz or something. While Matt Uelman's talents are now with Runic, Blizzard seemed to just stay the course. You'll hear no complaints from me concerning that. The voice acting is solid, typical for a Blizzard game. The greatest form of flattery is imitation. Blizzard's genre defining franchise has influenced some excellent titles recently. Runic Games (Blizzard North - Part Deux) released the exceptional Torchlight in 2009. The sequel's release is on the horizon with multiplayer included this time around. For those that love stats and building crazy class combinations, I can't recommend Titan Quest (with Immortal Throne expansion) enough. I enjoyed playing this game. Was it everything that I had hoped and expected it would be? No, no it was not. I'm not going to throw in plot spoilers, promise. The varied scenery is nice. The character building felt overly simplified. There were points in the story where I tilted my head and said, "Really?!" The campaign felt shorter than the previous titles. The amount of time that has passed between sequels, I believe, is a disadvantage for Blizzard. The nostalgia conjured, anticipation fueled, and expectations built by this single title nearly demands perfection. Diablo III was not perfection. Maybe I, along with many others, were too naive and expected just that. I get the feeling the same game would've been more well received if it was a fresh IP from another developer. Expand
  40. May 30, 2012
    Being a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include theBeing a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include the online-only DRM, extreme server instability, constant server downtimes, oversimplification of item suffixes, as well as the removal of many rather D2 staples, such as item runes, powerful mercenaries and an effective lobby system. Additionally, while the new skill system is interesting and fresh, I can't yet say with certainty that it's an improvement over D2's. Is Diablo 3 a good game? Certainly, it's great. Is it better than Diablo 2? Only time will tell. Expand
  41. May 18, 2012
    Alright, protest period over, I'm revising my review from a 1 to a 7. The game itself is spectacular; have not had this much fun in a long time. Specifically, the revamped skill system leads to an incredibly free experience in building exactly the character you want because *everything* is viable. You're free to experiment and come up with clever combinations to your heart's contentAlright, protest period over, I'm revising my review from a 1 to a 7. The game itself is spectacular; have not had this much fun in a long time. Specifically, the revamped skill system leads to an incredibly free experience in building exactly the character you want because *everything* is viable. You're free to experiment and come up with clever combinations to your heart's content without risking a failure to min/max. On the basis of the game alone I'd give it a 9.

That said, the always-on DRM is an extremely poor design choice just to support the real money auction house. The game loses 2 points for that. It should probably lose 3, but I'm having so much fun it's hard to really bring it below a "positive" score. When server issues raise their head though, it is horrendous
  42. May 15, 2012
    Before I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product ofBefore I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product of a completely polarized opinion, keep reading. First of all, I was fortunate enough to not have been subjected to the frustrations that so many experienced just trying to get the game to install. I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to say that while the game looks decent (I run it at low settings due to an older computer (I built it in 2004)) and is fast paced and entertaining, it's not what it could have been. The changes that Blizzard made to the series have led to a game with very little strategy, due in part to the lack of real options for building your character and also due to the fact that you get all of your character's skills automatically when you level up. Instead of having a maximum amount of skills that you can purchase during the course of a game, you are limited by how many abilities you can actually use at any given time. You start off with the ability to have a skill assigned to the left and right mouse buttons and then unlock 1 through 4 on the keyboard as you level up. While I understand that keeping the game simple was the goal here, the end result leaves a lot to be desired, as you will have more skills than you have hotkeys fairly quickly, which doesn't make much sense. Gone is the ability to choose to specialize in one skill or to branch out and have many skills that are less powerful. Your attributes (strength, dexterity and all of that) are improved automatically now, so there is yet another way to customize your character that has been taken from you. Also, they have continued the trend started in Diablo 2 and this game has moved even farther away from being a true single player game. I want a save feature, a real, honest to god save game feature. This is PC gaming in 2012, not Playstation gaming in 2000. Blizzard has made some truly bizarre decisions about what their players actually want in a game, and this is the result; less real customization and control of your character in exchange for some rather dubious features and way too much focus on level-based progression. Everything that your character can do, EVEN ASSIGNING HOTKEYS, is now based on character level...which is really, really stupid.

On the other hand, the lore in the game is pretty interesting, the game runs great on my older pc, the combat is entertaining, and the interactions you can have with some of the environments can result in some fun situations (usually involving a high body count). I enjoyed the voice acting and the art work, and I'm glad that the next chapter in this saga is finally here...I just wish they would have made it more like the first Diablo. On the other hand, I do feel that this game IS better than Diablo 2, so I think there is a move in the right direction; not a huge move, but a move none the less. Is it worth $60? Not really, but it is worth playing if you are a fan of the series. If your not, then you might not want to spend your time on this.
  43. May 18, 2012
    First the bad, then the good...

First the bad, then the good...

Connectivity issues, as others have noticed, do occasionally interrupt gameplay. Stuttering during single player left me somewhat perplexed, since I was playing single player. On one occasion I was disconnected from the server with the only explantion being, "The server will shut-down in 4 minutes." I think a more detailed explanation could be given, perhaps the employees at Blizzard could work on that. After the forced log-out I immediately logged back in and found all my progress on that level had been lost and I was inserted back at the beginning of the zone. That is obviously unacceptable. A proper game should always save your progress in the year 2012, pretty much any online game does this including Blizzards own Warcraft. -1 point.

Companions return, yet are slightly dumbed down. You can choose their jewelry and weapons but that is it- no options to equip them with armour which is a shame given the wide-selection of armour and the crafting possibilites. In my opinion... absolutely shameful given the amount of time and development Blizzard put into this game, especially since Diablo 2 had already incorporated armour with companions. This ommision leaves me rather perplexed at Blizzard. Additionally, companions repeat their speech patterns multiple times, resulting in strange repeated conversations. -1 point.

Another perplexing aspect of the game: the bank, player gold, and crafting equipment level is shared amongst all of your characters. The bank no longer has a shared section, it is simply omitted. Everyone simply has everything. Now, this is a vast change from Diablo 2, since each new character you created had to be built from the ground up. It was at your option to share gear and gold through the shared bank which made the game more realistic. In Diablo 3, your top-level toon could upgrade all of the bank slots, crafting gear, and puts 100's of components for crafting gear into the bank, and by default your lvl 10 toon has full access to everything. All in all, I find this improper and completely unrealistic. -1 point.

Now for the good: Diablo veterans will have no problems starting the game without reading the game manual. Hard-copy purchasers will need an internet connection to download a game patch (it took me about 5 minutes to download with a 1MB/sec connection), as well as play the game in any form since game progress is saved on Battlenet servers. HDTV users should have no problems, as the game detected the appropriate resolution for my wide-screen 720p television, which is probably one of the more unorthodox resolutions for a game to render.

Players can have up to 6 different abilities ready to cast at a moments notice. While that is nothing new in modern gaming, is does allow for more advanced combat compared to previous Diablo games. Environments are now destructable to include doors, chairs, and containers. When objects and enemies are destroyed they will show battle damage from the type of weapon that struck them- electricity fries, fire burns, slashing weapons slice and decapitate, etc.

The crafting system is an interesting way to get above-average magic armour and weapons, and is a useful addition.

Actual gameplay is very fun and exciting at times. The music and sound effects are great, some of the FMV's are so-so but the major plot advancing ones are very good. I found the plot a little bit better than Diablo 2, but it was a little predictable.

Which leaves me at a score of 7. Otherwise, this is an fun and addicting game, but for some reason Blizzard made some obviously silly ommisions and changes which made the game less realistic and more annoying than it needed to be.
  44. May 15, 2012
    I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway,I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway, if the servers go up again at some point... Expand
  45. May 16, 2012
    I'm shooting down a lot of points for DRM. I have never played diablo 1, I played the 2nd one though and I was somewhat satisfied with diablo 3 but as far as todays standards go for graphics/story/or anything such as character development, this game doesn't really hit a high mark, in fact, it falls a bit short.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 had fantastic dialogue and Starcraft 2 had

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 had fantastic dialogue and Starcraft 2 had surprisingly AMAZING character development in my honest opinion, and i say surprisingly because I never expect that in RTS or Turn based strategy games but that doesn't seem to be a strength in D3, I mean it's not that bad (keep in mind I have only beaten the first act so my review will change this is just temporary) so far, its just,,,, average,,, the gameplay itself is good, it hasn't gotten tedious for me, but for a price tag of 60 bucks,, this game really isn't worth it.

Finally, DRM, what a load of @$$, i would have given this game an 8 or an 8.5 (considering price, lowered would be a 9 maybe) i'm sick of this, it seems that companies want to ban piracy yet it becomes more popular as the same companies release DLC that should have been in the game.

One thing my friends, Nintendo will rise again with the Wii U coming above all this DRM crap (hopefully) and Nintendo will rain once more!

Because i think people that hate DRM so much, would go to the length of buying a whole new console for their games.
  46. May 16, 2012
    I think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gearI think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gear colors, the upcoming arena pvp, etc. I am just surprised you can't be a Panda in this... Expand
  47. May 17, 2012
    This game isn't complete trash, but it feels very uninspired and just not that great. I could give it a lower score based on what I was expecting, but I think a 6 is pretty fair score for this game.. You probably won't be disappointed too much, but I just don't see how anyone would be really wowed by this.
  48. May 21, 2012
    I gave this game a solid 7. I decided to write this after reading about 50 or so bad reviews, which I feel is rather unfair. Starting off with the negatives. First, I agree that always-online DRM and lack of lan is a bad call, but they did it for Starcraft II as well and after a few months I don't really care anymore. I still hate the fact that they did that, which is why I took a pointI gave this game a solid 7. I decided to write this after reading about 50 or so bad reviews, which I feel is rather unfair. Starting off with the negatives. First, I agree that always-online DRM and lack of lan is a bad call, but they did it for Starcraft II as well and after a few months I don't really care anymore. I still hate the fact that they did that, which is why I took a point off. Second, the game is short, while d2 can be rushed through rather fast, if you play normally 6-8 hours is not enough to beat a game and explore the entire map at the same time. Took another point off for length. Third, the fact that you can have a party of 4 people. Oh sure it is the ideal squad size but I really enjoyed the large group dynamic of Diablo 2. This is dumb, having a multi-player experience but cut down on how many people can join in? Took another point off.

The good points:I enjoyed the story. It starts slow and builds up. I enjoyed the music. I enjoyed the art direction, the developers said they want it to be a moving painting and it is just that. Stop and look at your surrounding once in a while instead of rushing through content and complain that the graphics look bad. This game was build to run on almost any pc and mac, hence why the graphics are not superb ( I do run this on a high end PC). This is a great call because this is a multi-player and the larger the player base the better. I feel that most of the bad reviews are written by people who have not played through the game. Lack of point system means more customization. I have not yet been in a multi-player game where my wizard has the exact same skills as the other wizards. We shift our skills to complement each other for best effect. THIS is a lot of fun at higher difficulty.This game is not easy,.. get to inferno and try to fight champion and elite monster before complain about how easy health is. Strategy and planning is really important at that point. The lack of unique gear is an issue now? Unique gear are suppose to be rare, that makes getting it an achievement. Most people I assume played Diablo 2 years after release where good items flood the market and people just join "free" channels for gear. As for buying gear, the real money auction house hasn't even been released yet...so I am not sure how people can form an opinion about that. And items have always been sold for real money on black market, it is the same in any multi-player online games. A solid 7.
  49. Jul 9, 2012
    I cant say I did not like the game but I did not love it either.. I just cant see the HUGE replayability everyone was talking about. The storyline is good and so is the gameplay but thats that. I really wanted the PvP to be there from the release but that didnt happen.. The AH is really good and verry helpfull and overall the game is enjoyable...
  50. Oct 8, 2012
    After patches the gameplay is improving since release. Good graphics, great combat, entertaining physics, fairer Inferno difficulty, tweaked abilities for a broader range of viable character builds, and steadily improving loot and drop chance make the game a lot more fun than it was.
  51. May 28, 2012
    Still getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which IStill getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which I personally prefer. The only thing that bothers me is the random stats on gear producing an abundance of throw-away items, which is fine on blues but shouldn't really happen on rares or legendaries, particularly class specifics. It seems as though most items are meant to go to the Smith for crafting mats, I'd rather this was a more difficult choice where gear was auctionable or worth keeping for other characters. My only other major complaint its the AH, where pattern and artisan training searches in particular appear to be broken, but I'm confident that longer term this will be resolved. In all, an addictive game and a solid successor to a game that was always built around epic gear lust with fun but shallow actual gameplay. Expand
  52. Jul 18, 2012
    The newest Diablo is somewhat shallow and repetitive with the main focus being on collecting loot rather than progressing through a storyline or using the slightest hint of strategy beyond the odd kite or dodge mechanic. The randomly generated dungeons do little to add to the replay of the game as the short scripted events remain constant throughout all playthroughs and the obstacles orThe newest Diablo is somewhat shallow and repetitive with the main focus being on collecting loot rather than progressing through a storyline or using the slightest hint of strategy beyond the odd kite or dodge mechanic. The randomly generated dungeons do little to add to the replay of the game as the short scripted events remain constant throughout all playthroughs and the obstacles or randomly generated mobs differ little throughout all four acts. The story itself is standard gaming fare. It doesn't try to redefine the genre and I don't really feel it has too. The classic good vs evil tone and predictable character turns are a staple for this genre and there's just something fun about the melodramatic tones throughout the story.

The difficulty level is a little low for those who just want to playthrough the story once and move on. When set to normal the game will only take a day to see from start to finish and while newbies may die from time to time you never really get to a point where anything seems impossible. Seasoned veterans of the genre will laugh as they make it to the end. The real difficulty actual comes from rare spawns on later difficulties who may leave you frustrated from to time as they seem to have the perfect combination for nullifying a particular classes strengths. So why is Diablo getting a seven from me? The game is polished and I personally enjoy the classic art style. As shallow as the game maybe, I also found myself inexplicably spending hours playing through the different difficulties while attempting to upgrade my character and keep up with my friends. I'd actually say the game warrants closer to a 6.5 but for the sake of bumping up the overall score that I feel is far too low for the effort put into the title I feel a 7 is more than fair compared to say a 6. Finally I feel the need to restate that everything about the game is done server side. This means the game requires a constant connection and uses quite a bit of data compared to other titles. I found the game actually used more data than WoW overall and this should be considered by all gamers who live in areas where bandwidth caps are a concern. It's not going to push you over your cap on its own but all know little things like this add up and a couple hundred mbs for a multiple hour sitting is a lot to swallow.
  53. May 15, 2012
    Overall a good game, mechanics deserving a higher score than 4 or 5 but with a company as large as Blizzard I believe they owe more to their fans than to ignore such an obvious problem with the log-in process. If this had not been an issue with the game I would have given an 8 maybe 9, if this issue was handled well but still persisted then a 6-7, but just an apology from such a largeOverall a good game, mechanics deserving a higher score than 4 or 5 but with a company as large as Blizzard I believe they owe more to their fans than to ignore such an obvious problem with the log-in process. If this had not been an issue with the game I would have given an 8 maybe 9, if this issue was handled well but still persisted then a 6-7, but just an apology from such a large company with no obvious efforts to fix it is not right in my book. From what I have played of this game, it has been a decent dungeon grinder.
    Personal recommendation: Hold out for a major fix & price drop or Torchlight II.
  54. May 16, 2012
    I my opinion it does not live up to the hype, It is an above average can which you can have fun with for a fair amount of time. A severe lack of customization and a buggy launch with no option to play offline contributes to my score. But even without the launch contributing I would still give it no more than a 7.
  55. May 17, 2012
    A fun game, but extremely repetitive and the "always on" DRM feature is extremely frustrating when you constantly get "Error 3007" and Blizzard claims it is your problem, when you never DC from WoW or SC2. What a joke.
  56. Jul 26, 2012
    To say this game is the best thing ever is completely ignorant. But so is giving it a zero or one because while its greatly flawed it is still a decent but not great game. Especially playing it online with mates. Unengaging story , uninspiring design and pretty dull and repetitive gameplay. Graphics despite the games design i thought were pretty good, generic blizzard games music, didn'tTo say this game is the best thing ever is completely ignorant. But so is giving it a zero or one because while its greatly flawed it is still a decent but not great game. Especially playing it online with mates. Unengaging story , uninspiring design and pretty dull and repetitive gameplay. Graphics despite the games design i thought were pretty good, generic blizzard games music, didn't quite live up to the series. Expand
  57. Aug 27, 2012
    The game was a 6 until patch 1.0.4 hit, so it appears to be going in the right direction, but the content and story are both lacklusters. If you're in it for those two areas then this isn't the game for you. Basically, content is not very random at all, and it feels very stale after playing through it several times. Unlike Diablo 2, areas have preset generators, so it isn't randomThe game was a 6 until patch 1.0.4 hit, so it appears to be going in the right direction, but the content and story are both lacklusters. If you're in it for those two areas then this isn't the game for you. Basically, content is not very random at all, and it feels very stale after playing through it several times. Unlike Diablo 2, areas have preset generators, so it isn't random whatsoever, and many of the areas are simply recolors. The story the first time told was very interesting, but after I played through it a few times the story became more clear, and noticed that it wasn't that good at all. The story wasn't told very well and was hard to understand the first time through, many things they were talking about I had no clue about. The journals are very frustrating due to not being account-based (only have to get them once). This makes it annoying to close each one you pick up, and having to find them for each character you make. There should be an option to turn it off, along with the entire lore, so we don't have to spam escape to skip each scene. One last issue with the game is the grind - it feels like it is gold you are farming for when it should be items, and once you beat Inferno there's nothing else to work for. It just feels like it lacks so much, and we can only hope they fix these issues in the future. I've played around 300 hours on this game and experienced everything it has to offer plus more. I enjoy the game, but it barely deserves what I gave it. It is around a 6.5 to be honest. I believe if it had offline play, and many improvements to the other areas listed it could earn an easy 9. Expand
  58. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffersI'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffers from blandness and lack of being unique. This game is is in the "slightly above average" spectrum of things, and while that may be frustrating for many fanboys, it shouldn't affect score. All things considered, it's a fun and enjoyable game, I'm glad I've played it, I won't play it for years to come but that is rarely the case with any game. I recommend this game for a discounted 20$ price tag, because it's about equally as good than Torchlight II or Path of Exile, which are respectively 15$ and free. Expand
  59. Nov 27, 2014
    The bosses are alright, the itemization is awful, the story is pitiful, the combat is click-click-clicky, and there is no necromancer.

Played for a good while with friends, but it just doesn't have the staying power of Diablo 2. The thing that I probably hate the most is the rage timers. I fondly remember being decimated by some insane, immune to everything, group of hellbeasts on my way to Diablo in hell difficulty and spending the next hour and a half with friends trying to teleport in and out of the Act in a desperate attempt to recover bodies, find gold to repair equipment, and resurrect mercenaries. Yes, it took forever, and it seemed completely broken, but the ability to strive on and not have your way you play dictated to you by the game with silly things like arbitrary timers was one of the fun things about Diablo 2.

60. Sep 1, 2012
    I thought the game was pretty good in the start, but the end game content is just sooo boring!
    I still had fun with my friend in the first 10~15 hours.
  61. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3, if I had to describe it in one word it would be, rapid. It keeps your heart pounding and your fingers bleeding. Blizzard has made the action of the game a fluid and fast experience, but it seems more a method to cover up the games many flaws. First I want to start off by saying that the game made some great innovations. The inclusion of being rewarded for finding lore was quite enjoyable. Also the gameplay was quite challenging. However challenging, it loses the urgency that the first two games in the series had. If you die, while grouped, any of your teammates can resurrect you, any number of times. While the resurrection feature is somewhat necessary, it takes away ultimately any gravity to your death. Though this feature might become more involved on the harder difficulties, it is apparently apart of Blizzards attempt to make Diablo main stream. There is a growing trend in games that tend to be shallow or even flawed to have gameplay be too fast to catch your breathe, let alone enjoy the beauty of the design. This trend is a means to open a game series up to a broader spectrum of clientele. I do not fault Blizzard for that, I even support there goals, but forgetting the core gaming group who made Diablo a flagship title for a company is not good business practice. When I talk about forgetting about the core I mean that Diablo 3 Rehashed a great deal from their older games, and not in an original manner. In two of the acts we return to areas we have previously explored in the older games. That means that more than half the game is unoriginal. The first act, in keeping with Diablo 2 starts of in Tristram, you save it and rescue Deckard Cain. I was happy to see Tristram again, especially in 3d isometric graphics, but what drills the thought of the game being rehashed is the next two acts. The second act takes place is Caldeum. Though an original name, it not only plays a great deal like Lut Gholein, but it is a desert land too. Even more so the area deals heavily with illusions, sewers, and alternate spaces all large parts of what made Lut Gholein. In act 3 you are taken back to Arreat. In Arreat, guess what..., the fortress is under siege by demons again, and you also have missions that operate like in Lord of Destruction. Some including destroying demon siege weapons, or rescuing overwhelmed allies, only to learn at the end you have been betrayed by a close ally. Almost identical to the story in LOD. Another indication of the rehashed nature of the game is that Azmodan is a poor version of Baal he attacks the fortress with his army trying to get the black soul stone. Unlike Baal, his nature which is sin, has nothing to do with his actions or his Act. Also another slap in the face for fans of the series is that the third act will always be a reminder that the actions at the end of LOD have nothing to do with Diablo 3. The world stone, it wouldn't have made a difference if it was corrupted saved destroyed. It doesn't effect the story of Diablo 3 what soever. Making Baal who was a true gaming memory,and LOD, completely pointless. The writing is artificially convoluted, and acts as if the previous games never happened. Even going so far as to change the history of Diablo 1 and 2 and giving the Dark Wanderer a back story. Instead of taking from the brilliant ending that Lord of destruction had, they come up with their own reasoning to play Diablo 3, discarding over 20 years of lore. The final nail to the rehash coffin is, like diablo 2, the fourth act is half as long as the other acts. It is the only truly new area, which happens to actually be Heaven. Unfortunately even the enemies are rehashed from diablo 2 as you fight some of the similar unique monsters from hell, like Tyrael's lieutenant. Diablo herself, as Leah was the daughter of Adria and the dark Wanderer, is a repeat of the previous games mechanics even using a circle of fireballs as an attack. Also it uses the overly used nightmare world where they extend the battle by having to fight shadow versions of yourself and Diablo as well. Furthermore, all member of the horadrim are dead, Deckard dies in act one, and his niece turns into Diablo. So because of the brilliant writers there is no one to guide future heroes as you have to kill Leah, Deckard's inheritor, and cannot save her, lets face it Bizzard you've done the fallen hero bit enough. The game is just a massive regurgitation of ideas, even stealing from horror movies having the part separate only to have someone die or get captured. If the bogus premise to slay demons didn't turn you off then the annoyance of having to be online to play single player will. I had no problem playing during launch, but many others did not get to play at all, and took off of work because of love for the game. Blizzards insistence to DRM the damn single player shows it cares more for its profits then the experience. Expand
  62. May 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is trully a very good game. The graphic is really eyecatching, but will not suit everyone because of the artistic choice.
    The Gameplay is well thought, there is enough perks to be interessting and no too much so it is too complicated for people with no hack/slash experience.
    Each time I log off, I want to come back and go further in this game! Well done Blizzard! However the fact

However the fact that I have to go online to play solo mode is really annoying!!!!!
    Besides the Demon hunter Bug's interefer with my gaming experience.

This game could have been rated 9 but I withdraw 2 points for the deterioration of the gaming experience and the online connection.
  63. Mar 18, 2015
    It's not as terrible as its reputation for fan-boy rage might suggest, but it's not up to par either. It's merely mediocre. If that's good enough for you, then go hog wild. If not, there are way better games out there to waste your money on.
  64. Nov 13, 2012
    The game itself is not bad, even if it can be quite repetitive and the story is not good, the thing that holds this game back massively are all the little things that blizzard has done with the auction house and making it so you can not play offline, This game is not an MMO like world of warcraft etc, it should not require a constant online connection to play, the auction house ruins theThe game itself is not bad, even if it can be quite repetitive and the story is not good, the thing that holds this game back massively are all the little things that blizzard has done with the auction house and making it so you can not play offline, This game is not an MMO like world of warcraft etc, it should not require a constant online connection to play, the auction house ruins the fun of trying to get nice loot drops since you can just go to the auction house and buy all the best gear, considering that loot is a big part of this game, being able to buy all of it instantly kills the point of trying to improve your character over time. I enjoyed the classes, the gameplay and the fun of playing with friends online, but I still would of liked the choice to play alone offline if I wanted. Expand
  65. May 20, 2012
    After finally being able to reliably log into this game, I feel I can write a more comprehensive review.

Graphics The graphics for Diablo 3 are still somewhat lacking by today's standards. I know there are some strong opinions on this and we all know that Blizzard tries to make the graphics as universal across computers as possible. Nonetheless, I can't say the graphical upgrade between

Graphics
    The graphics for Diablo 3 are still somewhat lacking by today's standards. I know there are some strong opinions on this and we all know that Blizzard tries to make the graphics as universal across computers as possible. Nonetheless, I can't say the graphical upgrade between Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 is significant, but it is definitely acceptable.

Gameplay
    The game is incredibly responsive which is extremely important given what the game throws at you in the later acts. With masses of monsters swarming over you, it is a good thing that the game makes it so easy to react in a timely manner. There is one tiny caveat however... there is a slight delay, maybe half a second, when switching between left to right click abilities with the wizard. This was very noticeable when I switched from electrocute to disintegrate. It got annoying after a while. I haven't noticed this problem with any other class, however.

Story
    What can be said? The voice acting can be bad. The story meanders about and seems to be scared that you will notice it. The game tries to cover up the story with hidden books which gives lore on the world, but very little context about the struggle between heaven and hell. There always seems to be some "secret" item to solve any and all ills in the world, and of course we must find it. The story seems to be recycle from the previous diablo games and you will meet many many many of the same enemies. It gives a sour taste of deja vu when you feel like saying, "Didn't I kill you in the past?". A lack of creativity here.

Sound/Music
    The music is phenomenal and maybe one of the best parts of the game. There is some reuse (good old original Tristram music) which I felt was a good nod to the original game. All of the music and sound effects added good feeling to the dungeon crawling.

Replayability
    This is a tough one to answer for me. The replayability is both limited and vast. If you enjoy running through the same acts over and over again on increasing difficulty levels, then it has a huge amount waiting for you. If you are content with finishing the game with each character then there is a lot there as well. If you are playing for only the story, you will be done in 20ish hours.

Summary
    Diablo 3 is a good dungeon crawler, but it lacks the polish and diversity of the previous installments. There is a limit on the customization of the characters, despite what has been sold by Blizzard. Yes, I was a gem crafter and played with sockets. The system for changing your stats is a bit clunky, and for me there was a nonexistent feel of my character gaining strength by my guiding hand. The evolution of my character was less under my control and more up the game on what gear I found. Is the game worth playing? Absolutely, you shouldn't miss it. It is worth $60? No... wait until it goes down. Battlenet will still be here and you will have paid less.
  66. Dec 4, 2012
    This game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is noThis game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is no good reason why the player should experience lag while playing solo, it should be played offline. - loot drops are horrible, it is hard to progress with the random gear that drops for you. I think Blizzard did this on purpose to make it hard to progress without using the Real Money Auction House which they make a cut of profit from. - Blizzard monitors everything everyone is doing all the time like Big Brother and often decides to nerf your class or alter the game when people find ways to increase their odds of finding good gear. Once again I think this is to try to force you into using the real money action house. - ironically, the auction house UI is horrible. It is extremely difficult to find out what the average selling price is for a piece of gear you have. People who are used to the excellent WoW AH will find this very frustrating to use. - the crafting system is too random, you can in theory use blacksmithing to help you make gear while you are progressing, but due to the randomness you are unlikely to get the gear you need - the game is very repetitive. You do the exact same story on each of the 5 character classes and there are four levels and each level you do the entire story again, so your gameplay will consist of doing the same story 20X if you level 5 classes to the end. Gets boring after a while. To be fair the maps have random elements (caves/dungeons) and mobs in them that don't spawn every time but it is still very similar each time. - my last complain is a minor one, but there is no way to really see what the gear looks like on your character without leaving the game and looking at the character in the hero screen. In other games like WoW I like to check out what a new piece of gear looks like on my character. The Diablo 3 gear looks really good, but it is a shame you can't easily zoom in on your character to see the great artwork the games artists did when you equip a new piece of gear. There is a minor zoom function but it still views your character too small to really see. They should just copy the WoW character screen where you can zoom in and rotate your character from withing your inventory, maybe an optional tab you can open up. All my major complaints are related to the always online requirement. I'd happily opt out of ever being able to use the auction houses if it meant I could play solo offline, I only used the AH once because I hate the AH UI anyway. I dread to think of ever making a hard-mode character (where if you die you die for good) with all the lag spikes, I'm certain lag would probably kill me before a monster did which would not be fair.

Pros:

+ you character looks awesome!
    + looting, killing and combat sound effects sound awesome!
    + loot name text has no boxes behind the text so you can easily see baddies behind it that you are fighting
    + voice acting is decent, all info given through voice acting
    + good story telling (albeit lame story)
    + cut scenes are good, they are artistic and stylized
    + this game has an intentional retro feel, but does not feel dated
    + classes (5 choices) are diverse and interesting, each class has its own unique gameplay feel

Cons:

- $60US (over-priced should be $30-$40)
    - single player requires Internet connection, server-lag, rubber-banding and server DCs occur frequently
    - loot is boring, rares/legendaries are often worse than common items and often useless to any class, upgrades drop 0.001% of the time (ie: almost never, this game is a boring, tedious gear-grind)
    - all characters of the same class look identical
    - no mods allowed
    - Blizzard treats this like its an MMORPG in closed-beta: BS nerfs and changes often from Blizzard, forced to play how they want you to play instead of how you want to play. Game is unbalanced, you're 1-shotting everything one hour, next hour everything is 1-shotting you. Elites are harder than bosses, final boss Diablo is easiest boss (wtf?), etc.
    - questing is very linear, do the same story 4X on a single character, repeat for all five classes
    - zoom feature really sucks, you have the choice between looking at your toon normal (extremely small) or zoomed-in (very small), no custom zoom, no way to see your gear close up without logging out of the game to the hero screen
    - forced to start your character at easymode and repeat entire game each time to reach next difficutly

Neutral:

. stats are automatically assigned by the game when you level according to your class
    . chosen skills can be switched at anytime (with a short cooldown)
  67. Feb 21, 2013
    So they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted toSo they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted to believe, god damn greedy bastards. Expand
  68. May 24, 2012
    I just started playing Inferno level and I need to say that apart of normal level the game is OK. On normal level I died three times, all of them because I felt asleep. But multi even on the normal level was different story. No wonder you need to have an internet connection - there is no other way to play that game, and come on, who in times of tethering don't have an internet. However DRMI just started playing Inferno level and I need to say that apart of normal level the game is OK. On normal level I died three times, all of them because I felt asleep. But multi even on the normal level was different story. No wonder you need to have an internet connection - there is no other way to play that game, and come on, who in times of tethering don't have an internet. However DRM is not there to protect us really, my fiend had been hacked twice already. All other issues are understandable - if you making a game so looong graphic engine become pretty old so you cannot expect fireworks. Performancwise the same it was a little behind - it was overheating my Q9400 (i'm playing BF3 on max and I had never had any issues).
    I gave the 7 points only for playability, especially with friends and on higher levels of difficulty. I was afraid it will be worse than D2 (after beta I had that view). Fortunately the skills system is better than in D2 and let even casual players like me having fun (unlike D2 or starcraft2).
  69. May 25, 2012
    Generally it's a great game but a bit disappointed as there are still many big bug like very annoying auction house and error 37 connection issues after the beta test.
  70. May 30, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, whatLet me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, what you find in this game is a promising albeit far too linear game. In such a deep dungeon crawler, the simplified stat system just isn't right. Maybe for less experienced players, but for all, just no. Also, the way i'm spoon fed quests, makes me feel like there isnt much else to do in this game, theres occasional optional dungeons, but the rewards in there are mediocre at best. At least the deepish combat redeems the games flaws and playing never feels like a chore, i'm challenged even on normal. Music and sound are great and the soundtrack always feels right. I can see how some dont like the graphics but they're satisfactory in my opinion. And finally, the story is there, but i dont particularly care about it, it's not all that engaging. In Closing:
    The anticipated diablo 3 is a good game, but has an abundance of flaws for Blizzard to fix. If they can fix the character customization and stat assignments, along with further expansions making the game feel more open, they'll have a much better game on their hands, remember internet, it's been out for 2 weeks. **** will be fixed.
    The Verdict: Unless you MUST play this game, download the cheaper Torchlight 2 and wait for Diablo to get a few more patches(i hope these patches will fix stuff) or maybe an expansion.
  71. May 15, 2012
    A great game ruined by requiring servers to be online to play.
    The game itself is great, probably worthy of 9.5/10. The problem is that in order to play, even when you want to play by YOURSELF, you need to 1) have an internet connection 2) servers have to be online. For that reason, I'm giving it a 6 on MC.
    A great game ruined by requiring servers to be online to play.

This means that if you aren't connected to the internet, you aren't playing this game. At all.
    This also means that when the servers go down, even if your internet is fully operational, you aren't playing this game. At all.

When do the servers go down? So far, fairly often. The servers will always have to go down at some point for maintenance, so during those times you aren't playing this game.

The reasons Blizzard chose to enact the online-only play aren't entirely all that bad

1) 24/7 Warden anti-cheat program to detect any kind of hackers
    2) DRM. You're not going to be able to pirate this game.

Is it worth it? Probably not. There are other ways to run anti-cheats that don't require servers. I love Blizzard as a company but they really screwed over a lot of people in this. To their credit, it's not like it was a surprise or anything though. They came out a while ago and said this is what they were going to do, and people still bought it anyway.
  72. May 16, 2012
    As a player who never played D1 or D2, i went in with as little expectations as possible. never read any reviews, and only decided to play on a whim as fellow housemates all purchased game and roped me in.

I love Warcraft, love WoW, love Starcraft. but by no means would I call myself a Blizz fanboy. I have to say, the game, whilst it is slightly addictive, it is very meh and mediocre at best. Very fun to pull a million mobs with my Barbarian, stun them and Hammer them all to death, but i see myself after running the game through once, putting it aside and never playing again. To me the game is one where you switch your brain off and spam click your mouse with no real skill depth or tactics, its a very cheap thrill that should have been developed alot better as a genre redefining RPG hacknslash and not a game that feels like i downloaded it off Steam from an indie producer...this is Blizzard we are talking about, a developer who redefined the MMORPG and Strategy genres single handedly in the 90's and early 2000's.

Has the corporate giant Activision really sapped all creativty from the team at Blizzard?. Sadly yes.

And to all the people complaining about server/login issues. Stop crying, its opening day. Obviously you have never attempted to login on WoW expac release day, now that is a nightmare and a half.

All in all, im having fun, and thats all you can ask from a video game. But really, considering the hype, the legacy of previous Diablo titles and the developer, i can actually understand why the community feels let down slightly.

73. May 17, 2012
    I am what others would call an "old stager", playing games since the late 80's and seeing how games progressed since then. I loved all the predecessors of Diablo 3, and in my opinion I must say: Diablo 3 is a game of the modern and it's *good*. Your experience heavily depends on what you have been expecting from Blizzard, and when you started playing games.

For me Diablo was always a game

For me Diablo was always a game where I didn't need any kind of well-thought story, or classic RPG depth you know from hardcore games like Wizardry, Ultima or the early franchises from Bioware. Just hacking through hordes of enemies and feeling happy about any new cool item drops, that's all I ever needed in this game. So there was no letdown while playing Diablo 3, that's what it is and what it was intended to be.

On the other hand, if you are looking for such things, don't buy this game, you will be heavily disapointed. The story is rather secondary and I personally wouldn't call this game any kind of RPG whatsoever, as there is no way to customize your character at all - not even attributes or skills. The latter are unlocked as you progress through the game and can be chosen/switched freely during the game.

The game definitely has a "World Of Warcraft" feel to it in all the mechanics presented. Especially the skills would blend in nicely with the assets of a WoW class in the way they are implemented.

Multiplayer was realized very nicely. All the fights over rare items or gold I even had with close friends in Diablo 1 and 2 are gone. Every character sees his own drops and can never steal anything right under his teammates noses after a fight. Right on the contrary, I feel encouraged to let go of a special item to a party member that is in more need of it than I am more easily. Technically: Joining another friends session is as simple and easy as it could possibly be, by "dropping" into another players single player game with a single click from the main menu.

One big complaint I have is the constant need of an internet connection to the Battle.net servers, even if you are only interested in a single player adventure. I don't necessarily critic the connection problems after release that have struck me as well (so gaming was not possible at all) as they are just natural for an online game at the beginning, but rather the fact in itself. Being bound to a companies infrastructure and trust, I don't feel comfortable with. But that's more a moral aspect that may not be understood by younger gamers.

To summarize: As mentioned in my introduction, I find Diablo 3 a *good* game, providing lots of fun hours slashing the hordes of hell and waiting for the next valuable item to drop. Especially in multiplayer this game excels. On the other hand, one might think of the over-simplified character system and story line of a big failure - and I agree. As said before, this heavily depends on your expectations.

On a personal note: If Diablo 3 is a let down to you, don't expect things to get any better in the industry though. This is the modern world and things have changed since back then. I personally would wish otherwise, but I've lost hope a long time ago.
  74. May 17, 2012
    All the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what weAll the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what we had to give up to get that streamlined interface - a complete lack of character customizability. Every barbarian is going to have the same skills and powers as every other barbarian; every demon hunter is going to have the same skills and powers as every other demon hunter, and so on. The ONLY way to differentiate characters at this point is through gear - hence the emphasis on artisans and paying real money for good gear. At the end of the day, Bizzard shanked this one worse than BioWare did with Dragon Age II. Expand
  75. May 18, 2012
    Here are my thoughts after playing several classes for a few hours last night, from good to bad:

***** I like the skill system. It still provides a steady stream of new stuff and the ability to customize your own gameplay through skill selections and then modifying those skills with runes. This happens without any need of a respec mechanic since you can switch skills and runes at any time. I anticipate that some sort of presets would be nice later on, but that could certainly be patched in. ***** Co-op play is still great as ever with some additional enhancements. The flags in town that teleport you to other players is a nice touch. The classes seem to have skills that will work well in a team setting. It's important that a party be able to take on bigger things by working together than if they were just 4 dudes banging on the same beast. I think that is the case. ****** The gameplay is Diablo. This is not really a positive or a negative because the isometric action game is a very well established thing at this point. D3 doesn't seem to advance the genre at all in this regard, but I'm not the sort of person who thinks that's always necessary. They nailed it as expected and no more. ***** The graphics are sub-par for a AAA $60 game. I'm not talking about the art style here, just about nuts and bolts. The engine feels very much to me like something that started development 12 years ago. I honestly think it would have benefited from throwing in the towel a few years ago and moving to Unreal engine (which of course Blizzard would never do). Not only are they only on par with a budget title, but my machine was getting only 30-40 FPS on high settings which is very low for the quality of the pixels on my screen. The most common response to this complaint I see is "gameplay > graphics". I say, why can't I have both? Plenty of titles look great and play well. Also, go back to playing D2 then. ***** The DRM system is abysmal and embarrassing. Last night was day 2 and the servers went down for (notified) reboot once. I got kicked without notification several other times. Add in constant latency and frequent lag spikes and you get an experience that isn't excusable in an MMO, much less a single player game. Note to Blizz: If you are going to instance a single player game, invest in fscking servers. The infrastructure team should be fired, and I'm not joking about that. At some point there has to be some responsibility for abject failure. The Old Republic had a much smoother launch and it's a real MMO. ***** My score might be higher if this wasn't Diablo, published by Blizzard, but it is and it was.
  76. May 19, 2012
    I feel that the majority of negative user reviews are saturated with bitterness over several technical issues that have little to do with the game itself. These technical issues, while bothersome, should be attributed to Blizzard and not Diablo III itself. It is an enjoyable game to play if you like killing things in multiple ways. My main criticisms are the lack of offline mode, and theI feel that the majority of negative user reviews are saturated with bitterness over several technical issues that have little to do with the game itself. These technical issues, while bothersome, should be attributed to Blizzard and not Diablo III itself. It is an enjoyable game to play if you like killing things in multiple ways. My main criticisms are the lack of offline mode, and the lack of freedom involved in getting new skills. The latter becomes irrelevant later on, and gives you actually more freedom to experiment with multiple playstyles, but the former is going to bother me for a while. In the end, I enjoyed myself while playing it so despite a few shortcomings I give it 7/10 Expand
  77. May 20, 2012
    I don't like the way that you now get what you get when you level up, rather than having actual choices and I am not happy with having to be on the internet at all times to play, because my internet connection is unreliable. But over all I am enjoying the game.
  78. Jun 3, 2012
    With Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphicalWith Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphical setting, to user interface issues, to key binding -- Diablo 3 is missing a lot of customization that it needs. Worst of all, there are no WASD controls; you must move via the mouse. Why do that? Why not at least give players the option of moving via WASD keys? The gameplay is solid, if a but uninspired. It's mostly just a click-fest. I'd much rather play a lot of other games if I were looking to satisfy my hack-and-slash cravings. In fact, I regret buying it for $60 -- I'd much rather have spent $20 on Torchlight 2 and then had $40 to buy something else. The user scores on MetaCritic are undeniable: people are terribly disappointed with this game. Does it deserve a 0? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Does it deserve anything above a 7? Well, I hate numerical scores, but I can say that this game is nothing more than a mere good hack-and-slash RPG. I played several hours in, trying out each of the character classes, and then put the game down. It's been over a week and I haven't touched it, and have no desire to.

I recommend passing this one up, and buying Torchlight 2 instead. Save yourself $40.
  79. Jul 9, 2012
    say what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, onesay what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, one needs a constant connection just to play it. Expand
  80. Jul 27, 2012
    I was really looking forward to playing this game, installed it, and I pressed play. Now, the cinematic videos are visually spectacular, but, the thing that really does bother me is the click this, click that style of controls, and I can't change it. Unfortunately, really addictive, I could barely move my index finger for hours after I stopped playing. A true disappointment, it lacks someI was really looking forward to playing this game, installed it, and I pressed play. Now, the cinematic videos are visually spectacular, but, the thing that really does bother me is the click this, click that style of controls, and I can't change it. Unfortunately, really addictive, I could barely move my index finger for hours after I stopped playing. A true disappointment, it lacks some things from its previous titles. I have not a clue how this sold 3.5 million copies when it was released on its first day. I don't think their next title will do so well... Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2013
    I've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methodsI've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methods and content. It's why writing a review on WoW is kind of pointless. You may love the game one month, and hate it the next. Diablo 3 has been moving, mostly, in the right direction. The story is weak and forgettable like with most video games. You won't be coming into contact with anything but a story designed for a 16 year old boy with little expectations. (Sorry, guys!) The gameplay is solid and visceral, but it lacks the complexity of RPG's in which you tailor and custom build your own character. The game focuses on "builds" with skills and the ability to switch them out on the fly as opposed to a stat allocation system in which all decisions are final. Take it or leave it. It's fun to smash monsters, and that's what D3 is mostly about: killing demons in the most brutal fashion imaginable. The maps gets repetitive after the 200th hour of play, but then again, what wouldn't? Still, I was expecting more variation on the part of Blizzard. Some places literally are the same thing each and every time. The MP can be fun, especially with friends, it is finally better to play WITH people as opposed to running away from them and sticking to solo play. The items in the game can still feel weak in an overall sense and in the subtle sense that most items don't' really do anything but boost your stats in increments. It's very World of Warcraft in that sense, no really cool things going on with the gear. Overall, I think it's a good game, but it's not revolutionary. I find myself playing it because I feel there simply isn't anything else that is a good time sink right now, and I'm not sure that's a good reason to play a game, but there it is. Diablo 3 will eventually probably be a gem, but it is still a work in progress. It's not nearly as bad as people want to believe though. It's a solid game, it's just not "Blizzard level". Expand
  82. Dec 11, 2013
    First impression is good, altough dumbed down compared to part 2. graphics and sound are good, but then you start to notice there are very few good item drops, and they all boil down to the same. one good build per class which is afwul, and after a while very repetetive with no incentive to continue after you hit level 60. Drops are afwul, 4 times the same legendary crap item after a weekFirst impression is good, altough dumbed down compared to part 2. graphics and sound are good, but then you start to notice there are very few good item drops, and they all boil down to the same. one good build per class which is afwul, and after a while very repetetive with no incentive to continue after you hit level 60. Drops are afwul, 4 times the same legendary crap item after a week of playing? come on!! Expand
  83. Jul 3, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a hack and slash game with RPG elements using isometric projection to take the player through an epic journey defeating the Prime Evils. It continues the story laid out in the previous Diablo games and although it revisits places from Diablo 1 and retells much of the story of Diablo 2 through journals and character conversation, it is recommended to have played these games inDiablo 3 is a hack and slash game with RPG elements using isometric projection to take the player through an epic journey defeating the Prime Evils. It continues the story laid out in the previous Diablo games and although it revisits places from Diablo 1 and retells much of the story of Diablo 2 through journals and character conversation, it is recommended to have played these games in order to understand the storyline. Most people are familiar with the mechanics of Diablo and those who are not will soon find the game to be second-nature; you click on enemies to destroy them with your spells that are bound to numbers 1 through 4 and the left and right mouse button while moving with either the mouse or keyboard (See options to bind keyboard movement). There are 4 different acts with a lord of evil at the end of each act that the player is required to defeat by himself or with up to 3 other players all the while collecting new items that are "dropped" by defeaten enemies. New to the series is that skills are no longer permanent, you can swap them around when you please (Although there is a cooldown after changing and it is very difficult to do during combat) and your loot is your own; other players can only see their own loot. At first I was worried this would break the game but it works very well. One thing I would recommend is to start playing Hardcore (Permadeath) as soon as you can. As soon as I reached level 10 on softcore, I switched over to hardcore because softcore was boring me to death. The only thing you risk while playing softcore is some damage to your equipment when you die. If you die on hardcore, you have to start all over again and that's the only thing that gives me a rush. The game is far too easy on "normal" difficulty but it starts to pick up when you reach "nightmare" difficulty so if you are bored with the game considering switching to hardcore. Unfortunately, Blizzard is catering to the softcore crowd and you won't, for example, see a real money auction house on hardcore. They have also not yet introduced any sort of player-versus-player function (neither on SC nor HC) although they have promised this will be added later on. Launchday was problematic but the lag complaints are either blown out of proportion or me and my friends are simply very lucky. All in all, despite Blizzard hoping to turn Diablo in some kind of WoW-lite, it is still Diablo at its core and perhaps that is the problem. Game design has changed and the endless grinding is slowly making way for more intelligent gameplay. Diablo 3 has missed the bus and is still trying to catch up with 10 years of changes. There is no more Open and Closed battle.net so everyone is forced to play on-line through battle.net but that's simply the modern way (and more cheat-free) way of doing things. Unfortunately, after around 100 hours of gameplay I got fed up with the game and I am changing my score and tune: the storyline isn't worth revisiting over and over, the constant grinding is a bother when you know you can just hop on over to the auction house and buy the items that you need. In fact, it is impossible to play the game without using the auction house unless you are willing to grind for days on end to get the items that will take you to inferno. Especially on hardcore, where every bit of optimisation counts. Not recommended at its current price. Expand
  84. May 19, 2012
    Graphics: Good models with nice textures and shadows, spells and attacks all look very nice. Aesthetic: Wonderful art work and varied level design look superb.
    Gameplay: A bit repetitive but with enough variety and length to keep you playing for a long time.
    Mechanics: The classes are very different and the spells have a good variety, killing enemies is fun and everything feels natural and smooth. I haven't had this much fun in a long time, if there were an offline mode I think this game would be perfect.
  85. May 20, 2012
    its a good game overall, but for the time its take to finally get here its is quite a disappointment, was expecting so much more but had an inkling the overall content would be like it is due to playing the beta and seein the flaws before release
  86. May 19, 2012
    gave it a 5 because I have not played it yet, so I didn't want to impact the rating. Im writing this to say that I have been playing the Torchlight 2 beta, and its really great, so whatever your complaints are about this game dont worry because there is A $20 dollar game coming out in about a month and it will satisfy anybodies need for a quality point and click action RPG.
  87. May 30, 2012
    Sigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. ISigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. I have played the game through to hell mode (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) and i am giving this a fair review as most are just pissed off and give it a 1 or 0 i feel Diablo III should be rated at a 5, Not worth 60$ maybe 30$ and i would wait to even buy for the reason that they have a lot of work to do in making that game playable. Expand
  88. Apr 6, 2014
    Revising my overly positive old review. Great combat. Terrible items. Makes for a very underwhelming ARPG. RoS has fixed a lot of problems, but man oh man, this one will go down in history as the roughest release Blizz has ever seen, that is for certain.
  89. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so I'm writing a second review, as i've had time to really digest the game better, and the nostalgia cloud, that had surrounded my perception of the game has dissipated. Overall this is a solid hack and slash game. It is jolly good fun, but, taken as a whole it lacks any real inspiration. Story-wise, There are a couple moments that are awesome...like when Tyrael falls to earth, there is an operatic beauty to it. And his faith in humanity and decision to ditch the angel-wings recalls one of my favorite films: "Wings of Desire". Beyond these few moments, and the rather well done boss battles, There is very little, thematically, to feed the imagination. The rest of the story is filled with cheesy pop-pulp tripe. I can appreciate the design decision to flesh out the main heroes a bit more, but separate origin stories and hero cinematics seem unnecessary, and goes a long way in murdering the memory of the mystique and enigmatic qualities of the series' previous iterations. The graphical style is cartoony, and the heroes have gone from being plain old badasses (d1 and d2) to frickin' superhero demi-gods..The environments are pretty, and gloomy, But never haunting and gritty like D1 and D2. I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how gorey or how much fog you add, gothic horror has not been accomplished in this one. To be fair, the classes and their various assorted skills/runes are imaginative and fun. Combat is satisfying. the artists over at blizzard have done a great job on the world. It's just a shame for the diablo universe that the 3rds design direction compass was pointed so rigidly to cartoon land. Taken out of context the game itself is a good game. I've enjoyed playing it immensely,. Co-op is especially well implemented, and I look forward to more adventures with my friends.. But it is sad to see dreams of a worthy sequel go out the window. This is a solid Diablo clone game. But it is does not deserve the mantle of Sequel..It takes no risks. Tragically, There is little remaining of the heart of the first 2. And those shards have been glossed over so thoroughly with World of Warcraft sensibilities that you can scare detect their presence. Expand
  90. May 15, 2012
    You will enjoy this game if you liked Diablo II. Story is ok, graphics are average at best and gameplay, well, it is exactly like Diblo 1 and 2. Nothing new.

Its not boring, you will play your first character until it finished the story, but thats it, nothing more. Blizzard failed at making a great game and it is really weird since it was so easy to make it better than the 2 previous

Blizzard failed at making a great game and it is really weird since it was so easy to make it better than the 2 previous ones.

Buy it if you dont know what to do with your money, dont if you still have Diablo 2 and paying the rent is not as easy as finishing this game.
  91. May 17, 2012
    I'm a Diablo 1 and 2 veteran with about 8 hours or so clocked in for Diablo 3. Despite the initial hiccups with the servers at launch, I'm very pleased with with the game and the overall experience with Diablo 3. To address one of the major issues; DRM is a relatively new and difficult pill to swallow for most gamers mostly because our games were never required to connect to a live serviceI'm a Diablo 1 and 2 veteran with about 8 hours or so clocked in for Diablo 3. Despite the initial hiccups with the servers at launch, I'm very pleased with with the game and the overall experience with Diablo 3. To address one of the major issues; DRM is a relatively new and difficult pill to swallow for most gamers mostly because our games were never required to connect to a live service to play single player before. Well, the truth is a fair amount of gamers took advantage of the game (among others) when it was not run by DRM by hacking and pirating it. If things continue on that path, it not only hurts the end experience but also hinders business which ultimately affects game development. Gamers don't want to hear that... So, to sum the game itself up, this is a thorough Diablo 3 experience. Finding randomly generated loot, killing demons/bosses, upgrading armor and doing it all with friends has never been better. Skill trees are no longer but are replaced with your choice of a combination of defensive,offensive and special skills. This system still fosters a certain level of strategy based on the type of enemy you're fighting, the weapon you have equipped, the type of skills/magic you have hotkeyed , etc... The game does not have the gritty and dark aesthetic any more. Rather, it has a much richer color pallet similar to other recent Blizzard games but still manages to deliver the familiar ominous tone of doom and evil from the previous entries. In a nutshell, the experience has streamlined in certain areas and as a result has dampened the allure of Diablo 3 for some. Others are just irate about the infamous launch day "Error 37" etc... and are not actually rating the game itself even after those issues were essentially put to rest. Patience is a virtue, everyone. Have just a little with this game through the rocky start and minor gameplay changes and you may just find one glorious game. 10/10! (ignore that '6' :) ) Expand
  92. May 17, 2012
    Diablo II was my all time favourite game. III? Somethings I like better than II, somethings not as much. Overall, I like II a little better. So, if II gets a 10, I would have to give III a 9. Subtract 2 points for the server issues. I don't care if it's online only or not, so long as the servers are up and running when I want to play.
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a week and then buy with confidence. It's very enjoyable, full of neat surprises plays smoothly (when the servers are up of course).
  93. May 17, 2012
    Ben playing it for 9 hours now and is on Act 3 now, and I have to say that I really like this game and also hate it in some regards. The game itself is fine, but when it comes to the "always online" system then it fails. Lets say you have a bad internet connection, then you will start to have small problems when it comes to lag.. Anway 7/10
  94. May 18, 2012
    This game brought me right back to where I was twelve years ago, hacking and slashing my way through the legions of hell. This game is true to it's sequels, that much is certain. But there lies the problem as well.

It's too old-fashioned. Gameplay is based on principles that are long since outdated. Simplistic point-and-click with very little room for finesse. A lot of basic features you expect to see in a modern game, are also non-existent. There's no 360-degree perspective, and everything feels way too generic. From character customization to environmental interaction, from how the character moves to how it fights. The world is static, the animations are stocky and clumsy and built around simplistic and old-fashioned principles that leaves very little room for personal interaction.

There's no flow in it, none of the realism you need to truly feel immersed.

In fact, moving about and fighting in Diablo 3 feels even more "stocky" than it does in World of Warcraft, which is disappointing considering the fact that it's predecessors were pioneers when it came to fastpaced/skillbased actiongames.

This game, is no pioneer at all. It's a sequel that, if you disregard the graphics; could just as easily been released ten years ago. There's no innovation when it comes to gameplay whatsoever.

All that said... It's still Diablo. The nostalgia it provokes alone, will keep me entertained for at least a couple of weeks. It may not have presented me with a "wow this is brilliant" kind of response, but it certainly propelled me back in time to an era long lost and had me rediscover the enjoyment I felt back then. And for that, if nothing else; Blizzard deserves credit :)
  95. Jul 5, 2012
    People expected a new reference for a good dungeon crawler and hack'n'slash game and renewal of the old item hunt formula. Unfortunately this is not what Diablo 3 will represent, instead people will get a game which will keep them entertained for a while until they stumble over the many shortcomings of its design and either continue to play until Blizzard has addressed them
  96. Nov 14, 2012
    This game deserves an 7 out of 10, and anyone who says less is a biased idiot. I never played Diablo much after beating it once, but I easily have over 1000 hours in D2 over the past decade I've played this game.
    Even from the first patch, this game deserved an 7/10, and I believe the game will only get better over time.
    Many people poured 100's of hours into this game, yet still claim
    Many people poured 100's of hours into this game, yet still claim it deserves a 0/10. This does not make sense. I ask, how many games in your life have you put 300+ hours in, and of those games, how many of those games could you say sucked? If you answered anything greater than 0, congratulations, you are an idiot. You could have stopped at any time.
    Diablo 3 is a well polished game that had many balance issues.

Most gamers complained D3 was too hard at release. The game was actually made too easy. I exclusively played Hardcore and did not have any troubles through Inferno. When I hit A1 inferno, I then made a SC char and was able to make it to A3 Inferno in a week before hitting a wall (first patch, after obviously glitches were taken care of). The developers intended to make Inferno hard, and everything "worked as intended," although that's not what the average gamer wanted. It was supposed to take a month for the first person to to clear Inferno, instead it took like a week. Blizzard has since fixed this to make Inferno a cake walk, even at higher Monster Levels.

The game is dumbed down. There is little character customization, even in the equipment. As we all know, you stack Vit, All Res, Crit, and Primary stat. This "formulization," where there is always an ideal way to max your DPS or survivability is well known, and another poor quality of the game. However, this was primarily an end-game issue when your gear is set so you can conquer Inferno at higher ML. During the initial playthrough, there is tons of (cheap) gear you can use to hack through the monsters, and there were new skills to try out instead of a specific build. RMAH is broken. This is probably the most damning thing of the game. RMAH opens up Blizzard for lawsuits, encourages chinese gold farming and "Pay to win" mentality. It also hinders Blizzard from making great updates (How will an (idiot) player feel who spent $1000's to get gear which becomes obsolete?). Trading should have worked without RMAH.

TLDR: The game gave 100's of hours of fun before getting old, and predictable with a crap endgame. It is also dumbed down. Blizzard has and will put out patches that improve the game dramatically, and you will find yourself coming back to this game in years to come.
  97. May 15, 2012
    All those people that blame Diablo 3 are nerds. Diablo 3 is good. yeah, graphics looks alike middle of 2000's but gameplay remains the same. No manual customization of skills? Pfff, it is not needed at all. Just play and have fun.
  98. May 16, 2012
    First of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into theFirst of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into the game. Playing on normal because I am new to Diablo. I have been pleased with the quality of game play, the cut scenes, story line, character development, and voice acting. I don't see about the game or the system that qualifies as a revolutionary change as far as MMO's are concerned, and it seems that it sticks pretty closely to the style and mechanics of the previous Diablo games. I am not disappointed by this because I don't think their need to fix what isn't broken. I haven't been challenged by the game yet, which is due largely to playing on normal, but I expect to find a challenge at higher difficulties. Personally I would like to have more control over the development of my character's stats beyond choosing which runes or skills to use. As far as I can tell, there isn't a difference between my level 9 monk and someone else's level 9 monk. Then again I have only a played a short while, so maybe there will be some customization choices at some point beyond gear. The crafting mechanic seem fun and rewarding thus far. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have not used the auction system yet. I am not sure if I approve of charging real money to use the system. Starcraft 2 doesn't leach money out of me, so why does Diablo III need such a system? I understand their need to prevent cheating and fraud, but I think their should be a better way. I have confidence that the server issues will be resolved sooner rather than later, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see expansion packs similar to the WoW universe in the future. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My current score of 7 for this game should tell you that I am having fun and that I will be playing it for many hours, but that the game isn't spectacularly revolutionary or graphically overwhelming. It is a solid, fun game. I find it to be really kinda relaxing to play. Cooperative play is a plus. The server issues will get fixed, but don't help the score. Unless the ending pulls a ME3 or I find that I have to pay for something that I shouldn't, the score won't dip any further.
  99. Nov 29, 2013
    After a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes evenAfter a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes even downright bad.

On the plus side, the gameplay is pretty smooth and somewhat addicting, multiplayer co-op is still a pretty fun experience (just like in Diablo II) and at least it was enough fun to go through once. But the replay value is very low, since you have to suffer through the same story and cheesy dialogue over and over if you wanna run the harder difficulty settings.
    I can understand the constant internet thing it stops piracy as well as serve a purpouse for selling gear in the auction house which isn't a bad addition at all. Though, if you have a bad connection it means you can't enjoy this game. Dying because of server lag isn't that much fun at all.

I've been waiting for this game for a very long time, and I had expected better graphics, better story, and less bugs and lag.
  100. Nov 11, 2012
    Welcome to your next job, courtesy of Blizzard, except the neat twist is that you pay. A lot of people might complain about the always online aspect of the game, but chances are you still will play a game with DRM if it is a good game. Diablo 3 is a decent game, but it will eat your soul as advertised, perhaps it's better not to be lured in this time.
  101. May 15, 2012
    I expected more after so long in development. With maxed out graphics @ 1920x1080 this game still looks kinda old and ugly in my opinion. Graphics are from 2007-2008 or so I'd say. It's moderately entertaining for a while although honestly I'm tiring of it already after 1 day. It might have gotten 5/10 instead of 4/10 but the price is too high. Also, I haven't taken into consideration theI expected more after so long in development. With maxed out graphics @ 1920x1080 this game still looks kinda old and ugly in my opinion. Graphics are from 2007-2008 or so I'd say. It's moderately entertaining for a while although honestly I'm tiring of it already after 1 day. It might have gotten 5/10 instead of 4/10 but the price is too high. Also, I haven't taken into consideration the login problems alot of people have or it would have been 2/10. So don't believe the hype about D3, it's an ok game nothing more (except for grapics wich suck). If you consider getting it atleast wait until the price drops and they've fixed the problems so you can actually log in and play. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012