Diablo III PC

4.0

1. Nov 29, 2013
    After a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes evenAfter a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes even downright bad.

On the plus side, the gameplay is pretty smooth and somewhat addicting, multiplayer co-op is still a pretty fun experience (just like in Diablo II) and at least it was enough fun to go through once. But the replay value is very low, since you have to suffer through the same story and cheesy dialogue over and over if you wanna run the harder difficulty settings.
    I can understand the constant internet thing it stops piracy as well as serve a purpouse for selling gear in the auction house which isn't a bad addition at all. Though, if you have a bad connection it means you can't enjoy this game. Dying because of server lag isn't that much fun at all.

I've been waiting for this game for a very long time, and I had expected better graphics, better story, and less bugs and lag.
  2. Nov 11, 2012
    Welcome to your next job, courtesy of Blizzard, except the neat twist is that you pay. A lot of people might complain about the always online aspect of the game, but chances are you still will play a game with DRM if it is a good game. Diablo 3 is a decent game, but it will eat your soul as advertised, perhaps it's better not to be lured in this time.
  3. May 16, 2012
    Hahaha so many babies whining about not being able to log in, haven't really had any problems myself, the game is awesome, doesn't listen to these retards, go buy it!
  4. May 31, 2012
    Diablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone canDiablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone can spend cash on gold, or even cash in the real-world currency AH, buy all the gear they want and then go "pwn sum nubs" with their elite gear that they just bought from someone who spent hours to find it. Another dissapointment is the completely ridiculous, unoriginal pile of trash that they call a story. Who wrote the story for this game? Were they drunk? Were they dropped on their head as a child!? The story is so mediocre that I can't even describe in words the mediocrity of the depth and lack of any actual interesting aspect within D3's plot. Towards the end it gets interesting, but just for a few moments, then it goes back to being an uninspired joke. The cinematics are epic, but way too short. I really think that Blizzard could have done better wtih both the story and cinematics. Diablo 2 had much better cutscenes, and the fight scenes within D3's are very short and uninteresting. Very disappointing Blizz, Starcraft 2 had better cutscenes than this, so why couldn't you do D3's with the same energy that you put into SC2's!? Now, the ranting is over. On to the good. Diablo 3 has a unique and interesting skill system. The game is designed to be unique to each individual, and that their is no supreme, or most-optimal build. This is true, and Blizz designed the skill system well. The game now relies more on skill rather than what website you copied your build from. I am impressed by the rune system and the sheer amount of variety you can have toying with your character's abilities. One thing that I love about Diablo 3, is the art style. Yes it is mildly cartoony, and I am aware of the seemingly WoW inspired graphics, but the environments look awesome, enemies are great to look at, and the backdrops are interesting. Another problem I have in this game, is the ridiculous character design. The Witch Doctor looks fine, so does the Barbarian, but a few of the others are bizarre and almost out of place. The female monk looks like a white Halle Berry, the male Wizard looks like he just stepped out of a Japanese anime and the male Demon Hunter looks like a teenaged junkie. In conclusion Diablo 3 is an excellent game, even if you must suffer through digital communism, er, I mean Blizzard's DRM via Batle.net. I give D3 a 7.5/10. Pros: Addictive gameplay, great skill system, varied enemy variety and interesting artstyle Cons: DRM, auction house DESTROYS balance, short and non-epic cutscenes, terrible story that lacks both imagination and originality Expand
  5. May 15, 2012
    Wait a month after release, the game will be great I'm sure. Can't really feel sorry for Blizzard, though. They should know better than requiring an online connection for single player. The nature of evil is to destroy. Even though the aggressor may gain a lot very quickly, the result will eventually be destruction of both the victim and the aggressor. Last time I checked, greed isWait a month after release, the game will be great I'm sure. Can't really feel sorry for Blizzard, though. They should know better than requiring an online connection for single player. The nature of evil is to destroy. Even though the aggressor may gain a lot very quickly, the result will eventually be destruction of both the victim and the aggressor. Last time I checked, greed is evil, and Blizz is guilty of it in this case. Expand
  6. May 18, 2012
    I registered on the site just to defend this game. I also do not agree with having to get online to play single-player campaign. I think Blizzard could have given the option of creating characters exclusively for the single player mode for people who do not have the slightest interest in the online experience. But I condemn people who have low rating for this game just because there wereI registered on the site just to defend this game. I also do not agree with having to get online to play single-player campaign. I think Blizzard could have given the option of creating characters exclusively for the single player mode for people who do not have the slightest interest in the online experience. But I condemn people who have low rating for this game just because there were technical problems on launch day! I also bought the game on launch day and was unable to play, but the next few days I could play without problems. Other than that I have not seen any bugs.

Note 6 for not having offline option. For me this is very important. So I can not play without worrying about the Blizzard servers and on my local connection. I also can not play anywhere. The online experience also makes the game less fluid because it is constantly exchanging information with the server.
  7. May 24, 2012
    Diablo 3 can be considered a solid effort and a worthy addition to the series if we ignore a couple of details. The first, and most important being, the time spent in development was ridiculously long. In fact, Im sure this series was ignored for the majority of the "10 years!?!" everyone loves to harp on about.. and rightfully so. Considering the lack luster graphics and identicalDiablo 3 can be considered a solid effort and a worthy addition to the series if we ignore a couple of details. The first, and most important being, the time spent in development was ridiculously long. In fact, Im sure this series was ignored for the majority of the "10 years!?!" everyone loves to harp on about.. and rightfully so. Considering the lack luster graphics and identical gameplay/storytelling format to the preceeding Diablos, I don't think any time paradoxes would have manifested if this game had come out one or two years after diablo 2. Its not technically impressive in the least. Next we have the infuriating online play requirement. Its bad enough that when my internet goes down, unless I can flip steam into offline mode, I have no games (that I've.. you know.. paid for) that will run. And now I have a shiny new game, which classically was primarily single player, with the same online requirement. This fault by no means stands out, most games these days are doing the online required thing, I just expected something different from Blizzard. And there it is, the main problem with Diablo 3.. its not different. Blizzard has always been a game company we've expected great innovations from. No rushed release dates, its done when its done.. usually the product was worth the wait. Not this time. Diablo 3 is a carbon copy of previous diablos in almost every reguard. Potions are instant, Skill points don't exist.. thats pretty much what we waited 10 years for. Graphically, and play control wise, this Diablo feels about 8 years overdue, and it seems like that isn't lost on most people. Rather than an eventual triumph and rebirth of one of the most legendary gaming series, Blizzard has done little more than skate by with a game sorely lacking in innovation and techincal improvement. (Repost with proper metascore) Expand
  8. May 25, 2012
    I've finished the game on normal, I'm halfway through nightmare on one character and I've played all of the classes to level 20 now.

The biggest problem are the skills. Not having skill points and the limitation of the skills you put on your bar creates too many limitations. With all classes I find myself constantly wanting to swap out skills for different situations and it's not easy/fun/fast to do it. Why can't you have multiple configured preset skill bars? Why are there skills with long cool downs that I can't swap out until they finish (I understand why but, GOD it is really annoying sometimes).

It feels like you have to keep "working around" the damn skill system.

Killing groups of monsters and getting loot is pretty good. graphics, animation is good. The story and cinematic cut scenes are good.

The server play is fairly bad. There's a lot of latency even in single player, but I have found with groups it gets even worse. Lots of "rubber banding" stunting, freezing, and sometimes that results in death and it's very aggravating. I just couldn't imaging playing hardcore with the game in this state.

Overall, I'm glad Diablo was released and that I got to finish it. Improved graphics, story, cutscenes, are great. The skill system is unsatisfying, the loot system doesn't feel as exciting as diablo 2, the crafting system is kind of boring, purchasing storage and leveling your crafters is just a big gold sync to keep gold important and feels more like a chore than an exciting achievement. And the achievements system is similar to what you find in other blizzard games and brings no innovations there. Custom banners are nice.

7/10 - Good but with some frustrations and disappointments.
  9. Jul 4, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that is a lot of fun depending on what class you play. I researched the different classes before the game was released and believed that I would love the Barbarian class. I did for awhile. Once I reached Inferno mode the game sucked. This game gets a 9/10 until you play Inferno as a melee class. Even with elite gear I believe that it would still be difficult to playDiablo 3 is a game that is a lot of fun depending on what class you play. I researched the different classes before the game was released and believed that I would love the Barbarian class. I did for awhile. Once I reached Inferno mode the game sucked. This game gets a 9/10 until you play Inferno as a melee class. Even with elite gear I believe that it would still be difficult to play as a barbarian. Since the melee classes are almost unsaleable in the last game mode it greatly effects this game overall. I have beaten the game three times as my barbarian just to find out I picked the wrong class. Cool story. Since I am not going to level another character to 60 I am basically done with this game. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2012
    A great sequel to the series which improved on everything that the previous games in the series lacked, be it balance, itemization (post 1.0.5), re-playability, overall fun and the faith to the previous games.

Plagued by flimsy launch and hype, people have smashed it in the social media and will tell you its horrible and/or terrible. I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked

I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked Diablo 1/2 and just want to play a good hack & slash RPG with most of the limitations Diablo 2 suffered from, Diablo 3 is for you.

If you want to judge the game by gossip, reviewers who haven't even played it and/or the previous games or simply have chosen to hate it, then don't get it.

In the end, Diablo 3 is a very solid game which launched as a 6/10 game, has now been fixed to 8/10 area and which can improve itself to 10/10 ratio over future patches / expansions.
  11. Nov 20, 2012
    With all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception ofWith all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception of maybe Rankoth the second the last boss, there is isnt alot of strategy or versatility to your character, granted I only played as a demon hunter, but I found myself using the same moves over and over. Secondly the item drops are horrible with no legendary items and I just didnt feel like questing a lot in this game because there was no real good rewards as you went on. I slogged through this for about 80 hours and defeated it on Nightmare mode and then moved onto other games. Expand
  12. May 15, 2012
    Once your past the initial server issues the game runs very well even with alot going on, graphics are pretty good, not hardcore diablo2 player but this quite good, alot kiddys are upset with day of release server issues every game has.
  13. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good game. Expand
  14. May 21, 2012
    Diablo III is a good game but not like Diablo II, though it still have the "Diablo gameplay". The skill system is less customizable and the strength of the character is determined by the weapons because you cant change your stats after your needs. The storyline is not that bad though the landscape is not nearly as randomized as in Diablo II, which is a little disappointing since you haveDiablo III is a good game but not like Diablo II, though it still have the "Diablo gameplay". The skill system is less customizable and the strength of the character is determined by the weapons because you cant change your stats after your needs. The storyline is not that bad though the landscape is not nearly as randomized as in Diablo II, which is a little disappointing since you have to play the storyline 4 times for each character. It would have been a huge improvement for Diablo III if it had an offline mode. Expand
  15. May 27, 2012
    Diablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to beDiablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to be convincing. Loot seems to be pretty good to me. I suppose some are whining because they don't get multiple epics on every drop. A lot of people think that simplifying the stats and skill system is a bad thing. I think it works pretty well, myself, and is a good break. (If you want stats and skills to tweak, go play one of the Avernum games...)
    Anyway, not a bad game. It could have been/should have been better after 12 years, but whatever. It's fun, and thats what counts.
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    Note that most of the extremely low scores were day 1 nerd rage. The truth is that the game is very good for what it is namely, a roguelike action RPG. Diablo III is the best game ever made in its genre. Does this make it a great game? No. Why? Because it is repetitive as heck. But it is polished to a mirror shine it is the best in the genre. It is just that the genre sucks.

You will

You will hear people whining about the always online thing. This is pretty much a non-issue. On launch day, things were rough, but since then, I've had a problem exactly once, which was hardly tragic I lost maybe three minutes of time. The converse of this the fact that you can play ANY of your characters with your friends more than makes up for the annoyance, and its really probably the only reasonable way to keep their marketplace intact.

What about the marketplace itself? You can ignore it if you don't like it, and if you do like it, it is there for your use, and it is easy, convenient, and sure.

What about the game itself? It is Diablo II, but better. It takes everything good about Diablo II, and tosses out everything bad about it the skill trees are gone, you can respec at any time, stat assignments are gone... basically all the stupid busywork which could make your character terrible are gone, and all the things that are fun are present and better. Every character is constantly using their skills, 100% of the time, and this makes for much more diversity in play, and you have many different sorts of attacks on all characters. Some people will nerd rage about losing choices, but let's face it you lost no choices at all. The skill trees existed soley as traps, as there were realistically only a few ways to play any character class, and if you wanted to try out a new skill, you lost that skill point forever, which sucked horribly and encouraged you to never diversify. The stat assignment worked out terribly as only one statistic actually mattered. Diablo III fixes these problems by letting you pick whatever skill from your class you want as long as you are high enough level to use it, and by getting rid of the stats (or rather, your ability to assign them), rather auto-assigning them in an optimal fashion, making the game actually work properly.

The only real bad thing about the game is the same problem that many action RPGs have the gameplay itself is rather tiresome. The really fun enemies only show up later on in the game, making act 1 feel like the act 1 of every other game you've ever played, and quite frankly, even the "really fun" enemies aren't that fun... which is pretty much par for the course for the genre.

There are better, funner games out there, but Diablo III does what it does well. Unfortunately, I just don't think this genre has any life in it anymore we've all played a ton of looters by this point. Do you really need to play one more?

If so, Diablo III might be for you. If not... well, I would recommend against it.
  17. Dec 5, 2013
    Try not to compare it to Diablo 2 and you might actually have fun playing it. Its fun to slay large amounts of monsters while making your character super powerful.
  18. May 15, 2012
    In my honest opinion this game deserved a 9 or 10. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. The only problem is that even though I am only playing single player I can't play because of the server overload. Seriously, Blizzard has received their millions of dollars from the millions of gamers who bought the game, so now can we play offline please? Even if you have to have separateIn my honest opinion this game deserved a 9 or 10. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. The only problem is that even though I am only playing single player I can't play because of the server overload. Seriously, Blizzard has received their millions of dollars from the millions of gamers who bought the game, so now can we play offline please? Even if you have to have separate characters for online and offline play. I am so disappointed at the moment I could cry. I new this was gonna happen, yet I still held on to the hope that the servers could handle the load. I even went and bought ADSL especially for this game. A lot of good that did me.... Expand
  19. May 21, 2012
    A decent game at its core and the combat is satisfying but all I can say is WHY Blizzard, WHY, is there no offline mode, why can't I play when I want, why are boss fights easier than mobs, why are rare items better than lagendaries, why when i open my game to public do i only ever get one other player when the limit is four, and the list goes on. With all these shotcommings and moreA decent game at its core and the combat is satisfying but all I can say is WHY Blizzard, WHY, is there no offline mode, why can't I play when I want, why are boss fights easier than mobs, why are rare items better than lagendaries, why when i open my game to public do i only ever get one other player when the limit is four, and the list goes on. With all these shotcommings and more anybody who rates this game 90 or above is absolutely kidding themselves. Maybe one day Blizzard will stop TELLING people how to play games and actually LISTEN to what they want. Expand
  20. May 25, 2012
    I loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty wayI loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty way up which is cool, but the gear drops are so crappy it's funny. I mean the bosses drop crappy blue gear, NO yellows, on harder difficulty??? And how bad does it suck when you die like ten times to kill a special enemy only to have them drop a yellow that has some crazy ass mixture of stats like strength and intelligence, you have to just laugh or the frustration will kill you. Overall, a disappointment for such a long wait, hopefully they patch it and fix the drop rates, and stat combos. Expand
  21. Jun 11, 2012
    A great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auctionA great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auction house is easy to use and gives players a reason to hang onto redundant, yet rare equipment; Drop-in drop-out co-op is quick and well implemented; Enemy scaling with number of players ensures no challenge is lost in co-op; Ability to re-spec abilities of active character on the fly reduces the need to start characters over again in order to get the ability combinations you desire; Ui is crisp, clear and uncluttered. BAD: Game cannot be played offline, even in single player, which is unnecessary and unfair for the consumer; Intrusive, unreliable always-online DRM causes many disconnection issues; Due to always-online functionality there are significant amounts of lag and framerate issues which diminish the overall quality of the experience; Weapon system is bizarre and poorly implemented with wizard characters casting spells out of a sword that they can't actually use; Other than clothing, characters cannot be customized, which makes the character selection seem a little out-dated; Character animations and graphics are boring and don't match the wonderful water-colour-like environments; Numerous balancing issues between classes that are going to take a while to iron out; Sound effects, voice acting and music are unremarkable; Stat points are automatically assigned upon levelling-up preventing players from creating truly unique character builds; Companion characters available when playing single player are not very useful and are quite boring additions to your adventure. OVERALL: There's nothing inherently wrong with Diablo 3 - it's a left-click marathon of a game with plenty of loot and loads of enemies to kill. But it's also one of the most stressful games I have ever experienced due to the totally unnecessary always-online DRM which is seriously detrimental to the industry and rather quite worrying. Add to this the fact that Diablo 3 brings little to nothing new to the genre that it so wonderfully popularised and you've got yourself a rather disappointing game. Is Diablo 3 fun? Yes. Is it the dungeon crawler that we've all been waiting for? Probably not. Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2012
    Coming from Diablo 2, of course there would be some huge expectations. Unfortunately Diablo 3 actually disappoints quite a lot. Fortunately most of the areas where Diablo 3 is lacking will be fixed in patches, so in a year or something the game will probably be 50% more fun. THE most important thing is items, and this is actually one of the areas where it is lacking the most. This will beComing from Diablo 2, of course there would be some huge expectations. Unfortunately Diablo 3 actually disappoints quite a lot. Fortunately most of the areas where Diablo 3 is lacking will be fixed in patches, so in a year or something the game will probably be 50% more fun. THE most important thing is items, and this is actually one of the areas where it is lacking the most. This will be fixed and that will be awesome, but one thing they can't fix is the story. And the story is bad. I don't think they can fix the voice acting either, and especially with the bosses is it bad. I still get goosebumps from Diablo saying "Not even death can save you from me", or from Baal's laughter, or basically just from any boss in Diablo 2. The bosses don't sound cool in Diablo 3, so you don't really get this feeling of "Epicness". And even though the combat and action is immensely fun, the game doesn't really feel that great. Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2012
    At first, it was VERY FUN!!!! Ar first i wouldce gave it 9.0 and when PvP 10.0 . BUT!!!!!!!!! It got super boring1
    I want a good story so it gets boring when it gets told so many times. Loot game yeah yeah i dont care it doesnt keep me on the game. Bo r i ng! hahahaha
    I have / had 2 nightmare and 2 normal characters. 7/10. FOR THOSE that like looting like nobodys business and dont care for story ALMOST!!! AT ALL! Then you can like this. It could be awesome awesome game, i bought Collector's Edition
  24. Nov 20, 2012
    It's really hard to fault Diablo III as 90% of the game has stayed true to the exact same formula used in Diablo and Diablo II. While playing the game through the first time was a blast it remains to be seen if the game will have the longevity that made its predecessors legendary.
  25. Sep 1, 2012
    I played Diablo 2 and much anticipated this game. I loved the single player element, the visual effects and story cinematic's were something magnificent that I will never forget. As a fan I enjoyed this game however I felt it was too short amongst other things which have ultimately left it on the shelf gathering dust whilst Diablo 2 was still being played at this point. In my opinionI played Diablo 2 and much anticipated this game. I loved the single player element, the visual effects and story cinematic's were something magnificent that I will never forget. As a fan I enjoyed this game however I felt it was too short amongst other things which have ultimately left it on the shelf gathering dust whilst Diablo 2 was still being played at this point. In my opinion the fundamental downfall of Diablo 3 was that the developers didn't take enough of the right risks. If there was a focus on more features rather than the testing aspect I would probably be looking forward to logging in tonight. Final word: Fantastic artistic and entertaining game lies within this, its too short and very few will remain to play on, the real money auction house is a bad idea and the normal auction house has the same pitfalls it did in Diablo 2 but its worth the time and money for a short lived cinematic experience to the extent of buying avatar on DVD however very few will remain interested in this dust gatherer. Expand
  26. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly,This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly, very beautiful, but there is no trace of the old dark pathos, the skirmishes most of the times are an incredible mass where the player can't understand what is going on and has just to click the mouse, like maybe the Diablo II Lord Of Destruction MOD called Median XL; other features are very similar to this mod, they have probably played it during the development, which took too many years for the final result. Few weeks after relase they found bugs to be corrected, gameplay things to be modified, immortality bugs to be removed; it wasn't a good product, but with the latest patches is more enjoyable. I bought it the day of the relase, with many friends, none of us is still playing it, because it quickly gets boring; we started Diablo II again in LAN, we enjoyed it much more probably. Expand
  27. May 19, 2012
    I've read through almost everyone's comments and personal reviews of the game. For people who are looking for a more "diplomatic" type of view and the good side of the Diablo game should visit http://imprettygood.com/ where the IPG- team consists of a group of enthusiastic gamers from Sweden who frequently play indie- and big shot games and publish reviews of them. Not the angry bashingI've read through almost everyone's comments and personal reviews of the game. For people who are looking for a more "diplomatic" type of view and the good side of the Diablo game should visit http://imprettygood.com/ where the IPG- team consists of a group of enthusiastic gamers from Sweden who frequently play indie- and big shot games and publish reviews of them. Not the angry bashing the keyboard and condeming type of critics, we provide a wider point of view both good and bad. Expand
  28. May 20, 2012
    Just to get it of thigns to mention: Blizzard didn't really manage to do anything right while designing the servers. There down, maintenance ongoing, lost in warp or just corrupted by the Chaos Gods. Take your pick and wait.

Meh. But sure, why not? There are quite a few things borken in it though. And I do mean "borken". Normal magic stuff is more powerful than legendary, classes badly miss matched, bosses easy, some elites unbelievable, no sense of leveling, music isn't what it was in D2. Plot isn't worth mentioning. Actually the music is very bad at points and ok-ish at others...

On the other side. It's got ok graphics - too bright, but ok. It's got interesting places (which would require better music though).
  29. May 20, 2012
    I so baldy want to nail someone in the face if they say: the graphics look **** this game's **** because i cant login or the gameplay's too simple. 1. Obviously all the people who are getting errors will be able to get them fixed... a game doesn't get review by it's launch. 2.With graphics it's the most graphically intensive birds eye view rpg I've ever seen, I am running with a gtx 570I so baldy want to nail someone in the face if they say: the graphics look **** this game's **** because i cant login or the gameplay's too simple. 1. Obviously all the people who are getting errors will be able to get them fixed... a game doesn't get review by it's launch. 2.With graphics it's the most graphically intensive birds eye view rpg I've ever seen, I am running with a gtx 570 and I lag on some occasions (I play battlefield 3 on high graphics with a constant 60 fps). 3. the people who say the gameplay's too simple are the people who are still on normal difficulty, so far I'm a lvl 45 witch doctor and it's fun as hell. The complexity of spells are no where near as in depth as wow's but the combat is more fluent in diablo 3. My ping is at around 300ms because I'm in Australia but I don't notice the lag, only a little lag spike every so often. This game gets a 9 from me because it doesn't have enough bosses :D. Expand
  30. May 26, 2012
    I have been following this series since day one, when i was twelve years old and tore open my first copy of Diablo back in 1996, and i immediately fell in love. Click and kill. That doesn't sound too fun, but throw in some demons, creepy environments, and harsh punishments and ill be glued for hours. Diablo 2 perfected this formula, and i found myself on every single day, every hour iI have been following this series since day one, when i was twelve years old and tore open my first copy of Diablo back in 1996, and i immediately fell in love. Click and kill. That doesn't sound too fun, but throw in some demons, creepy environments, and harsh punishments and ill be glued for hours. Diablo 2 perfected this formula, and i found myself on every single day, every hour i could get just to do another "Diablo run". Diablo 3 has improved on EVERYTHING, destructible environments, more varieties of monsters, achievements, more classes, etc. But one thing fell short.... The atmosphere. In Blizzards previous games, i this overwhelming fear of death always hung above my head like a cloud. The sounds, the looks, the monsters, the more "gothic" like atmosphere. In Diablo 3 the creepiest thing was the templars, but that was it. I was more afraid of a monster in act one, than i was with diablo himself. I am sure, blizzard will release expansion sets to this game, and i hope they concentrate more on the atmosphere and variety of drops and making "runs" relevant again with the new "Marketplace". Expand
  31. Jul 11, 2012
    Its a good game but there are a few problems. Its a tad short and expansions that I have to pay for don't count. The graphics are OK but not what I would expect from a game released in 2012. Speaking of 2012 there are 10 times the great games out compared to when D2 came out and I'm not alone in saying I don't want to kill the same guys over and over again when I can do play somethingIts a good game but there are a few problems. Its a tad short and expansions that I have to pay for don't count. The graphics are OK but not what I would expect from a game released in 2012. Speaking of 2012 there are 10 times the great games out compared to when D2 came out and I'm not alone in saying I don't want to kill the same guys over and over again when I can do play something else thats new. They also need to check a dictionary for what rare means because I can fill my inventory with yellows but every one sucks. Even though its still a good game but not the super mega awesome ultimate game everyone expected. Expand
  32. Aug 29, 2012
    About my last review of this game, I did not mean to score it 10. I think around 6 or 7 would be more appropriate, it's a good game, it just doesn't live up to the hype of Diablo 2. Look for Torchlight 2.
  33. May 18, 2012
    I'm not gonna give a negative review due to the server issues at the start or due to no offline game play, these are things that do not matter and are not about the game itself!

However, there are things that are not good, and these things won't be changed: - no full-fledged 1on1 PvP! This is not WoW nor is it a MMORPG, so why don't they want to also balance around 1on1 PvP? Even with

However, there are things that are not good, and these things won't be changed:

- no full-fledged 1on1 PvP! This is not WoW nor is it a MMORPG, so why don't they want to also balance around 1on1 PvP? Even with the addition of PvP to the game at a later time, 1on1 PvP won't be supported (rankings, rewards etc.)!
    - no world PvP and no possibility to attack other players at any place in the game, at any time, against their will. We don't need that many care-bear player protection mechanisms, after all this is a dark world full of evil... and that evil should also come from other players!
    - only four players can join a game at a time!

Other than that, the game is really nice, details are good, the graphics are good and game play is also nice, but the flaws I mentioned above pretty much ruin it for me.
  34. Aug 6, 2013
    Nice compaign for old diablo-gamer, but.. well... Too simplistic and fast gameplay, too many connections with battlenet. Looking forward for the addon. Hope it will make the game much better than it is now.
  35. Sep 6, 2013
    Overall good game, its a sequel though. Kept the feel of the older Diablos but you can use four abilities at once (using hotkeys) rather then 1. The fact that this game has a 3.8 user score means that people dont know what they are talking about and need to get a clue... games not perfect but over all good.
  36. May 18, 2012
    This game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me comingThis game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me coming back for a long time. The one bad thing I would say is that you have to be constantly connected to the internet which is annoying for single player enthusiasts. Otherwise, a brilliant game. Still stays ahead compared to a lot of other ARPG's apart from possibly Grim Dawn. Expand
  37. May 20, 2012
    Haters gonna hate its all i can say.... Why you guys act like 5 year old child it has some lunch problems but what about game?! Do you think its **** Go F*** your selves
    Best graphics for RPG game
    Best gameplay
    Best storyline
    Tons of fun.... so whats ur problem?! (you jelly bros?!)
  38. Jun 20, 2012
    To me, this game is pretty awesome actually, however I can only give is a 6 because of the troubles i had even getting the launcher to work! i must have looked for answers for 4 hours at least. However, the game, once working, is pretty fun and a good buy.
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    To be honest I can't understand why the user ratings are so bad. What did you people expect? I bought the game knowing what I was getting into. Yes this is just a repetitive hack and slash. Yes the main point of the game is to just kill stuff and loot items. No depth really. And you know what? It is fun and addictive. It does get boring sooner or later, but what doesn't?

I've played

I've played about 100 hours and I'm quite happy that I bought this game. I've had a fair share of fun. Also I expect to come back from time to time, just to have some hack' n slash fun with my friends.

What makes me wonder the most is why does Diablo II have a much higher rating? D3 is really the same game as D2, just newer. It has new graphics and content, but all the main features, weaknesses and strengths did not change at all.
  40. Sep 23, 2012
    When you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is theWhen you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is the ruined gloomy/gothic atmosphere of the previous games. It just looks like you're playing Torchlight, but, to be honest, Torchlight was more addictive. Everything is so bright and cartooney, sometimes you can't even see your character. About the monsters design - I liked it. But the Diablo with **** was not so cool. Playing together with someone makes the game more fun and if I tried to walk it through by my own the user Score would be lower for sure. Summing up I'll say that this is an average game, not bad, not good, but still a lot of people will be playing it just because it's Diablo III. Expand
  41. May 18, 2012
    The game is decent but there's been little advancement and I am not sure what they have been doing for 4 years! Graphically it's a bit murky (especially Act 1) and the interface is actually so comparatively bright as to partially blind you to the gamefield.
    Among the subtle changes I do feel there's a better emphasis on combining abilities so it's less of a click fest and thus probably the most fun I've had in a Diablo-style game: but this should go without saying :)
    However the DRM on a Solo Player Game (which this is for the majority) is unforgivable and inexcusable and brings my overall score down to a middling 6.
  42. May 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real moneyDiablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real money auction house is an interesting idea, I can't see enough people using it to really warrant this.
    If you enjoy action RPGs and don't mind this sort of incontinence, get Diablo 3. Otherwise, wait for Torchlight 2.
  43. Jun 12, 2012
    This is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized andThis is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.) - taken from wikipedia - Diablo 2 Even if i played like 120hrs now,i will play more but it bores me now,diablo 2 never bored me for 4 years, Everybody say that D2 became good after lod and patches,in my opinion if this is true why couldn't they bring those goodies in D3. If this game hadn't been called Diablo it would be a 10+++++ rated game,but because it bears the name diablo,and cant exceed the minimum for it,it gets only 7. Expand
  44. Jun 26, 2012
    This is a fun game, dont get me wrong: It's a solid hack-n-slash game, lots of clicking with your mouse, fast-paced, lots of looting. Overall though, I guess I'm just not as impressed as I thought. This could be due to all the hype and high expectations associated with D3, but it's alot different than its predecessor D2. This newer game has graphics more like Warcraft, more colorful butThis is a fun game, dont get me wrong: It's a solid hack-n-slash game, lots of clicking with your mouse, fast-paced, lots of looting. Overall though, I guess I'm just not as impressed as I thought. This could be due to all the hype and high expectations associated with D3, but it's alot different than its predecessor D2. This newer game has graphics more like Warcraft, more colorful but still "Hell" themed. I personally dont mind that the entire skill tree is unlocked by level, The game definitely has good CO-OP mode, you can join automatched public games. The story isn't that good, or maybe I wasn't paying attention... And overall, I feel like the game is too short. but I've only played on normal, and currently nightmare. Its a good game, sometimes I like Skyrim better. Expand
  45. Sep 23, 2012
    The game tries a lot of new ideas not seen in its previous game. The rune system is unique and is a great replacement for synergies. However, build diversity is quite low unfortunately with only a few viable builds in the Inferno endgame. Itemization differs player to player. Its a lot more luck based then aiming for that Runeword combo or unique, making it a good experience when you findThe game tries a lot of new ideas not seen in its previous game. The rune system is unique and is a great replacement for synergies. However, build diversity is quite low unfortunately with only a few viable builds in the Inferno endgame. Itemization differs player to player. Its a lot more luck based then aiming for that Runeword combo or unique, making it a good experience when you find that item with the right combo of stats, but a terrible experience if you arent. Big improvement on boss fights. Constant connection is good or bad depending on where you live. If you are looking for a little flavour in your ARPGs but nothing revolutionary, this game has got it. Expand
  46. Dec 2, 2012
    Game is getting better with every patch and it is good if you just expected what is is: jump in, kill some stuff and relax. Good enough for me but I would expect something more from Blizzard.
  47. May 15, 2012
    i cant give this game any more than a mixed review until servers are running and i am satisfied with my time in sanctuary. gameplay is good for the seven hours ive had access. drm was applied terribly.
  48. May 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 is entertaining and fun but fails to meet expectations of previous Diablo fans.
    Pros:
    -Fun to hack and slash and tear up large groups of enemies (What you expect from Diablo) -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game. -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the
    Pros:
    -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game.
    -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable
    -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the first couple playthroughs

Good and bad at same time:
    -The leveling system is straight forward and does not require hours of grinding to reach the level cap.
    -No skill trees and stat point distribution allows you to focus on loot and killing but does not make your character feel unique. It gives you the flexibilty to try new builds and change your skills to work best with whatever group you play with at any given time
    -Grouping with friends and creating game is quick but doesn't allow you to make games people can look for or go back to previous difficulties and is centered solely on what quest you select which is restricted by level.
    -Requires an online connection at all times. This might be frustrating for those that only want to play single player but If it reduces hacking and duping that plagued previous Diablo games then it is welcome. Due to the very bad latency though I have already heard claims that it is possible to duplicate items.

Cons:
    -Itemization is horrendous. After hour upon hours I have yet to see any legendary or set items drop but I already have blue items with better stats and more damage than the best legendary items. Legendaries should be above average rare items with rare items having the potential to be better than legandaries with near perfect stat rolls. Blue items drop way too easy and it is very discouraging to have essentially no goal in terms of items except for finding another blue or yellow item with more of you main stat and more vitality. Many Diablo 2 players can recite nearly all of their pieces of gear by name and I don't see how that will become the case in this game.
    -The story was okay but the ending seemed very rushed and short.
    -When grouping you are unable to use your companions and companion customization/gearing provides little to no benefit except when soloing.

TLDR;

Very fun game but missing the best things that have made Diablo 2 such a huge long lasting sucess. Hopefully they are listening and will fix these things with an update or expansion similarly to what LOD did for Diablo 2.
  49. May 27, 2012
    i like the game its cool i like how they give you a reason to play the other difficulties and pvp will be added later...>_> if i was to give a real rating i would give it to people sometimes I wish i wasn't human because we all are really a bunch of ****
  50. May 20, 2012
    Diablo III should meet your expectations if you're already a fan of the series, but it does have obvious failures. Having to log in to battle.net to play a single player game is stupid. This is not an MMO. It makes no sense that they make the game low-res enough to run on Windows XP from 2001 because they want everyone to be able to play, but then assume everyone has broadband.Diablo III should meet your expectations if you're already a fan of the series, but it does have obvious failures. Having to log in to battle.net to play a single player game is stupid. This is not an MMO. It makes no sense that they make the game low-res enough to run on Windows XP from 2001 because they want everyone to be able to play, but then assume everyone has broadband. Outside of California the internet has dead zones, and there are times you just want to forget online exists and immerse yourself in a single player dungeon crawler of which Diablo used to be king of. The streamlined gameplay is fun, and the art direction is good, but it's missing the gloss of being a 2012 release. The locations are varied, but you never get to grind out one hardcore dungeon like in the first one. I miss the format of the original Diablo, but this is still a good game and has potential to improve with new content. Expand
  51. May 26, 2012
    Emotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, itemEmotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, item farming, I see no difference with Diablo 2. I think a lot of us have a different impression of Diablo 2 because we were younger. Today, I would rush through D2 in a day and farm items over and over, same deal here. RMA AH is not great, but consider 1. D2 probably had the largest illegit item selling market of any game ever made and 2. Blizzard is the only game company that provides servers for big population games like Diablo and Starcraft series with no monthly fee. Hosting isn't free people. Expand
  52. May 30, 2012
    I've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't beenI've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't been implemented yet. Now on to the review.

The good:
    - Decent voice acting
    - Scoundrel has some hillarious conversations when talking to other people
    - Amazing CGI cut scenes
    - You can pretty much use all your skills even when you are 60. I remember back in Diablo 2, you would never use the skill you got early on when you hit 99 or even 20.
    - Some challenging battles (challenging vs cheap)
    - Easy to play gameplay so it opens up the series to beginners and advance players alike. The learning curve isn't bad, but with runes and such, advance players can have fun trying out new play styles.
    - Loot!

The Bad
    - ONLINE DRM (horrible idea and as I see it as a disservice to customers. If I'm expected to play single player, but always have a internet connection, then I expect Blizzard to always have servers ready for the high payload of customers logging in. To this date they have had some issues of logins (for example yesterday I received the infamous error 37 again).

- Only 4 people can play together in a party together vs 8. Hell, at LEAST make it 5 people since there are 5 classes.

- Story is a bit cliché. Not to ruin it for anyone (and don't read any further if you REALLY don't want a hint about the story) but remember how Starcraft had Kerrigan and Warcraft had Arthas? Not exactly like that, but similar in some ways.

- Magic find % seems useless at times. Now I know it's random, but I had 125% magic find with no rare drops in 2 hours of playtime on Hell mode. My friend had 9% and got about 10 rare items. Again I know it is random, but it has happened on many occasions. Interesting thing is, when you play a lower difficulty or do a second run through again on the same difficulty, rare items seem to drop more.

- There's a difference when a game is challenging and just plain cheap. Some parts of hell are fun, but there are others when an blue mob has both freezing and desecration ability and freezes you in place, then burns you down while frozen with their desecration move and on top of that they can teleport and shoot 5 arcane sentry laser to burn you further while you are frozen. - No more spamming heal pots! That's what made grinding fun back in D2, you can carry a stack of potions and it made it intense fight. Versus waiting 30 secs or something like that. Blizzard should at least shorten the cool down time or remove it.

- Blizzard nerfs. Sad to say, but I feel as PVP comes out, they will start nerfing classes even more to the point where classes become useless in PVE. Hopefully (and a BIG hope at that) PVP will have their own sets of class "nerfs" to balance issues, but PVE will be untouched (or at least make classes useful for PVE'ing). FYI I have a Monk and I feel they are the Death Knights of being nerfed constantly.

Finals thoughts:
    While this game is fun, it doesn't deserve a perfect a review. The very fact that Blizzard has taken out content that was suppose to be in the game doesn't help. Yes I know they plan on perfecting it (which I am a fan of when companies sincerely want to improve something), but I find it hard to believe it took them 10+ years to still perfect a game. Heck even 4 years since they debuted the Barbarian gameplay. IMHO, I strongly feel Blizzard is trying to milk out the game as long as possible by bits and parts of the game that should've been ready to go from the start (pets, pvp, enchanting, etc). Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game to play with friends and family, however it's far from being a perfect and polished game that doesn't warrant the 10+ years of waiting.
  53. Jun 2, 2012
    Riding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery beforeRiding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery before you can really experience all of what the game's got to offer. Also, itâ Expand
  54. Jun 10, 2012
    An incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render theAn incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render the player effectively blind for non-negotiable lengths of time-- even in single player. If Blizz fully comprehended the server expense of having all games run entirely on the server's side, it's disappointing at best and infuriating at worst that Battle.net's capacity for demand doesn't cut the mustard. Expand
  55. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good:
    Diablo III has the formula that made it's predecessors work down to an art-form. The story, while not particularly deep, is a great monster-slaying setup with stunning cutscenes and story elements. The gameplay is addictive and intuitive, offering many choices on builds for characters and the ability to swap skills/powers in and out on the fly is a welcome feature. The visuals and soundtrack are equally great, continuing to bring the dark, medieval fantasy setting of the Diablo universe alive and keeping it dark and foreboding in tone. The game length is just long enough, neither being too long or too short... especially since the game kind of dictates multiple play throughs. The multiplayer is well-implemented, the fact that you can choose to play with friends or in public games makes it the game much more private and fun than that of an MMORPG, but at the same time keeps the kind of feel of being part of a community.

The Bad:
    The item drops are way too random and the 'magic find' trait is misleading in it's function. Items you need or want won't drop unless you spend several hours, maybe even days, 'farming' for them and, more often than not, 90% of the item drops you do get will be fodder for salvage or straight-up selling. The blacksmith's item creation is also too random often requiring mass amounts of gold, resources and several costly tries to produce an item of any kind of use, which seems unfair after all the gold and resources you already dump into him to level him up in order to make him capable of making certain level items... not to mention the items he creates can only be sold for any kind of profit on the Auction House, which is hit or miss. Skills, while varied in their styles and powers, are only a masquerade. Several classes have what could be awesome abilities, but after Act I, Normal difficulty, these powers lose any and all usefulness. The class' all seem to have one or two skill/rune set combos that are the best, rendering all the other abilities obsolete, which only gets worse the higher level the character gets. This creates the illusion of customization, but it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Multiplayer, while fun, is required on higher difficulties, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Personally, I'd like to be able to go through the game by myself on any difficulty. Cramming multiplayer down my throat is an unwanted feature.

The Ugly:
    This new fad games are trying to use of only allowing players to play if they're online, even for single player, seems to be unnecessary. The Auction House, while a cool idea and useful, is a cop out, but at the same time you'll find that you have to use it in order to get your character up to a level in which he/she can survive... especially on higher difficulties.

Overall:
    It's beautiful and keeps things simple and in the vein of previous Diablos making it accessible to old and newcomers alike. The random item drop seems way off kilter, not giving you what you need to progress and forcing you to spend oodles of gold (or even real money) in the Auction House to get 'caught up'. The skills have enormous unrealized potential by only picking a few of the 'best' skills and making those the best build options and not allowing equal optimization with all the powers.
  56. Jul 30, 2012
    I got lots of fun out of this, playing hardcore and only hardcore. But after round about 500 hours i cannot find any motivation to even log in.
    Now, that is an aweful lot of time. So the game can't be bad, can it ?
    No, but it could've been on hell of an uber-game with some little tweaks. If they had only realized, what made D2 so succesful in the first place, like diversity in builds,
    Now, that is an aweful lot of time. So the game can't be bad, can it ?

No, but it could've been on hell of an uber-game with some little tweaks.
    If they had only realized, what made D2 so succesful in the first place, like diversity in builds, no stupid free respecc, no real hard lvl cap, smart itemization and the list could go on for quite some time.
    Everything here is just way too simplified to be fascinating in the long run.
    Bummer.
  57. Aug 2, 2012
    Having clocked 500+ hrs into this game I'm beginning to see the shortcomings of it.
    The game is ok up to a certain point. All the annoying stuff from D2 has been removed more or less effectively, but has resulted in the birth of new and worse problems.
    The skillsystem is great, and the removal of manual statpoint allocation doesn't ruin the game, in my opinion. The story is ok, but could have been so much better.
    The gameplay follows the well known recipe from D2. Battle is fast paced and sometimes hectic, especially in the later difficulties.
    But the game fails on two very critical points - item drops and endgame.
    Good loot is hard to come by, by farming and when you happen to get a rare or legendary drop, it's usually worthless. When you've finally given up on farming loot because it's no fun, the interest in the game drops like a rock. That's when you might go to the AH for gear upgrades......and by doing that you lower your chances for decent drops even further....which again might make you go to the AH.
    It's a death spiral of boredom when you hit that point.

As far as endgame...well once you've hit the level cap there's really not much more to do but farm gear.
    And since farming for good gear is like searching for water in a desert, it'll soon stop being fun.

Basicly, the drop system, the AH and the level cap combined secures that the game stops being fun.
    This game can only be saved by buffing the drops significantly, removing the AHs, and removing the level cap, because once you hit 60 it becomes a repetitive wandering in circles with close to ZERO reward for your time.
  58. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played any Diablo game before as I am mainly a console gamer but due to the lack of seriously good games on consoles at the moment I turned my attention to Diablo 3.
    I have not encounter any connection problem and installation was a breeze. Even creating my Battlenet account was very easy.
    So now about being online all the time. Who came up with such a bad idea. I play on a laptop so no way for me to take my laptop and play somewhere with no internet connection (train , plane...) or at least I don't want to pay for while on the go.
    The game itself:
    The graphics are pretty poor for such a long awaited game. The story is so poor that I don't even follow anymore.
    Let be clear the best part of the game is the fighting and looting and so it should be. Fighting is fun, fast and furious. Looting is plentiful.
    The game is very easy to pick up. there is no learning curve install and play it.
    For whatever it is worth if you re ready to bear to be connected non stop to play even in single mode this game is fun. It is not the big blockbuster I was expecting and I am moving back to consoles as soon as I am done with Diablo 3 and from what I see it won't be long.
    Hopefully this kind of "big Brother" control won't come to console soon but I fear it is closer than we think.
  59. Jun 21, 2012
    The game itself is good, although the price of 60$ +tax% is a too pricey for a game that offers little more than a rough 6-8 hour campaign with none of the modern rpg element of this decade. By that I mean, the standard has been set, and Diablo 3, though much better than its predecessor, it lacks the modern feel. I understand that keeping to the original style of the game is alwaysThe game itself is good, although the price of 60$ +tax% is a too pricey for a game that offers little more than a rough 6-8 hour campaign with none of the modern rpg element of this decade. By that I mean, the standard has been set, and Diablo 3, though much better than its predecessor, it lacks the modern feel. I understand that keeping to the original style of the game is always nice(Top angular Camera angel, skill usage) and all, but leaving out everything that is expected from rpg this day and age was not a wise choice. Simple things such as character customization , in-depth npc, etc. I know that one of the Diablo's series praised trait is its action, with little to no story, but! THOSE time has changed, and it wouldn't hurt a company who spent nearly 11 years making this(though they are still delaying everything) couldn't just add a more in-depth experience beyond the "POINT CLICK-LOOT-KILL BOSS-WATCH CUTSCENE FOR STORY(Story was good, kudos to that)". Most of all, I felt the game left a lot to be desired by the veterans of Diablo 1 & 2, stripping the mechanics of pointing skills points where i want, just for the cause of making a simpler for casual gamers. I understand that by doing this, they could draw in more modern gamers, but yet they couldn't included other modern content that I already mentioned above. To conclude my review, I would love to say that, I personally enjoyed the game, and had my moments with it, but at the end of it all, it left a bland taste in my mouth, that even though it was polished and well in-tuned with most of it's origins, it had a lot to be desired. 7/10*. Expand
  60. Kyo
    Aug 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game, it has good graphics, fun gameplay especially in multiplayer, and a good atmosphere. At first this game is really epic I really got into it, and after the first cutscene man I had the chills, but it dies down after act 2 or the middle of act 2. I like the classes and how each one is individual and different, from voodoo magic, traps and crossbows, powerfulDiablo 3 is not a bad game, it has good graphics, fun gameplay especially in multiplayer, and a good atmosphere. At first this game is really epic I really got into it, and after the first cutscene man I had the chills, but it dies down after act 2 or the middle of act 2. I like the classes and how each one is individual and different, from voodoo magic, traps and crossbows, powerful punches, and brutally killing everything with a giant axe. The talent trees are not that great they lack customization and kind of make you character all over the place with different skills, I would have loved to be a fire Mage for instants (No fireball spell? Really!?). That doesn't mean the skills were not cool, they felt awesome to use even if some were useless. The story is really nothing to look forward to, some plot points will really piss you off , and some would just be 'meh" nothing epic when it should have been. I got 1 character to Hell mode then stopped there feeling Diablo'ed out and haven't really touched it since, but i know I will play it again eventually. The game was fun when it lasted, and I don't regret having it in my collection. Expand
  61. Jul 1, 2012
    Ok, as far as the game I'm really enjoying the game play as it is exactly what I expected. Graphically the game looks amazing. There is a decent variety of mobs to slaughter and the terrain really sets a mood. On the down side the "random" generation of the world is not nearly as good as it was in the previous versions of the game. After 10+ years of waiting I'm not sure it was evenOk, as far as the game I'm really enjoying the game play as it is exactly what I expected. Graphically the game looks amazing. There is a decent variety of mobs to slaughter and the terrain really sets a mood. On the down side the "random" generation of the world is not nearly as good as it was in the previous versions of the game. After 10+ years of waiting I'm not sure it was even possible to live up to my expectations. Was I disappointed with the lack of customization available for the classes, extremely. Does it kill the games fun? In my opinion, no. Because the limitation will breed more creativity in character builds. Many people will disagree with that but this game is still incredibly young and as patches continue to roll out the balance will become more apparent. I have to say that the reliance on gear as opposed to player skill and character skill is pretty annoying because I get the sneaking feeling that this is being used to push the RMAH. The game is very good, not great. I'm hoping that as future patches roll out the game gets better and better and Blizzard doesn't disappoint. Expand
  62. Jul 23, 2013
    Diablo 3, despite its many flaws, exploitable content, and grind-oriented gameplay, is a solid title. I could talk about its shortcomings, but seeing as how it has a 4.0 user rating I'm sure most of those have been covered in great detail. Instead I'll talk about how its a reasonably entertaining game with a high amount of polish.

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its predecessors, but they're crisp and aesthetically appealing. The sound and music is also top-tier material; however, voice acting is sub-par.

The co-op is great and it's super easy and super fast to join up with friends. This is accomplished mainly by the fact that the game has virtually no load times. Yes, character customization is dumbed down, but it still has depth.I like the fact that there are so many viable abilities in the end-game and that you can choose a skill setup that matches your play style without severely handicapping yourself. Combat is fun and satisfying. The end-game is difficult, but far from impossible... just as Blizzard promised. Actually, I would have given the game an 8/10, but I felt obligated to subtract a point because of the upcoming nerf to inferno difficulty. Bad move in my opinion. After killing Diablo on inferno difficulty, I have no motivation to continue playing. Nerfing the difficult content is only going to expedite that process for others.

All in all I don't think this game will have the lasting appeal that Diablo 2 did, but it's still a solid title worth checking out, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
  63. May 20, 2012
    When I first started I was having a few problems figuring out out the game play and having a hard time advancing. After many hours of playing and studying the game I was able to figure things out and advance. Going to diablo3max.info was of great help to me, this helps on many levels. If you are having problems with this game, then I would recommend you use the help too. Diablo3max.infoWhen I first started I was having a few problems figuring out out the game play and having a hard time advancing. After many hours of playing and studying the game I was able to figure things out and advance. Going to diablo3max.info was of great help to me, this helps on many levels. If you are having problems with this game, then I would recommend you use the help too. Diablo3max.info did wonders for me. Expand
  64. Jun 30, 2012
    If you are a fan of the Diablo series, buy this game and play it. Despite some of the negative you may find on here; the game is a good game worth several play-throughs. That cannot be said for most games.
  65. Dec 10, 2013
    Very boring game with no great standouts, only the narrative maybe. could have been made in 2 years instead of a decade, so much anticipation for nothing, really.....
  66. Jul 23, 2012
    This could've been a masterpiece,but sadly, it's only very good. There's always hope Blizzard will polish it further, until it reaches the level of it's prequel.
  67. Jul 23, 2012
    I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game,I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game, and it's fun. The biggest problem it's got going for it is the 12 years between Diablo II and III. In that time, we've seen copycats "do" Diablo over and over and over and over, with varying levels of success. What made Diablo I so amazing was that it was really a new, frenetic style of playing an RPG game. Kind of a "ramped up" Roguelike game that was instantly addictive. Ridiculously addictive. Diablo II carried the torch a few years later and raised the bar significantly. All the fun of the first, plus tons of new innovations. Diablo III doesn't add or subtract much from Diablo II, and that's pretty disappointing given the 12 years in-between. If anything, Diablo III has indeed carried on the HORRIBLE pit of hell gamer-makers have fallen into of "dumbing down" their games and making it accessible to the least-common denominator. They don't understand, I guess, that hardcore gamers are the fan base, and that what the hardcores say translates well into the general public. In other words, a series like the Elder Scrolls caught on and became hugely popular almost strictly because hardcore gamers went on and on about how great it was. Instead of appealing to the hardcores and making games more intricate and more complex, with more features, and more moving parts, they seem to strip away and streamline and make console-friendly, and yada yada yada. Diablo III is a prey to this mentality as well, and the aggravation is reflected with such low (too low, absolutely too low) scores.

In the end, what Diablo III is is a continuation of a legendary series of games. Unlike the first two, III doesn't really raise any bars or add any innovations that we will now see replicated in dozens of copycats, and that's too bad. Instead of opting for trend-setting, Diablo III plays it relatively safe and stands as a solid, fun, addictive, nice-looking, stable game, a decent addition to the series, but nothing terribly mindblowing. I tired of it after about 2 weeks, and I can absolutely not say that about the first two Diablos. The difference? Having stripped all of the customization out of the game (attributes, skills, etc.), I never really felt all that connected to my characters, which have a definite "pre-made" feel to them. The hallmark of any role playing game is the role playing part of it. This is action and it's clearly designed more for the unwashed masses than the hardcore gamers.
  68. May 30, 2012
    I have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves theI have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves the impression you get in the end. Talking about dissapointments: no skill trees anymore, so lack of character customization. Auction house with real money sales will kill the game based solely on items stats. Misuc is lousy, and most of the time you feel like there is none at all. And the graphics could have been better. Would be the best if you don't use zoom at all. And now, the final flaw: logging int this game in normal hours (from after working hours till sleep time) is far from possible, lags can be terrible as well while you luckily log in. This game is not cheap,so the availability problems can really play on nerves sometimes.

All in all: this is a good game. Not great, not lame. Good piece of work, although not worth the legend it posess.
  69. Jun 1, 2012
    Entertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills withoutEntertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills without knowing exactly how they compare. I'm not an expert player but I resent that the entire game has to be played through on Normal difficulty (which is rarely challenging) before being presented with the choice to increase the difficulty (and thus make the thing more engaging than simply clicking a million enemies to death with little thought or tactics). The always-connected issue is just as ludicrous as others have complained about... I have ZERO desire to play this with strangers online and as for always-on removing the ability to cheat - who actually cares about that other than the hard-core pvp knuckleheads that will still insist that the other guy is SOMEHOW cheating? I'm mostly disappointed that I bought a digital copy of this that I can't re-sell when I am done with it (which will probably be quite soon). Expand
  70. Jun 2, 2012
    I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House,I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House, multiplayer and PvP (or lack of) as this has been done ad naseum so this is simply my impression of the game. I like the graphics (yes, they are a tad cartoonish unlike the other Diablo games) but the environment itself is moody and "feels" big. The game seems almost too easy on Normal, which is fine with me as I want to feel badass while being able to enjoy the game......not yell at it. They definitely simplified this from its predecessor.......again, fine with me. I just want to kill, look cool doing it and grab some really cool loot and Diablo 3 delivers. Expand
  71. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played 100+ hours of this game on Hardcore mode. Leveled each class to at least 30+ (except Wizard).

Here is a pro and con list that I've compiled:

Pros

1. Skills and runes are varied.

2. The affixes for monsters are cool and interesting.

3. Hardcore mode was included.

4. The sound bites of lore.

5. Achievements. 6. The banner that you can customize.

7. Armor dye.

8. More gem grades (more than D2).

9. Cool cinematics.

Cons

1. A lot of the skills and runes seem worthless compared to others.

2. Players can receive credit and quest experience while sitting in town.

3. The checkpoint system is easily exploited. For instance, players can repeatedly farm the same rare monster pack if it's subsequent to a checkpoint.

4. The art direction is a little too over-the-top. In other words, too WoWish, with the big hands, shoulders, etc. I'd prefer it if Diablo 3 were a little more bleak and realistic looking. The monsters in this game look evil, but they're evil in a silly over-the-top way, not in a "holy #&#@ that thing is actually scary" kind of way.

5. The story is juvenile as well as predictable.

6. The voice acting is too over-the-top and the lines are, again, juvenile. Not all of it, but a good portion. For example, "You will never defeat me! Rawr!" - Skeleton King. Come on now. The Skeleton King in the original Diablo was much more intimidating and scary.

7. Game is too short. In an age where games like Skyrim exist, this is unacceptable.

8. The music is forgettable, and the way it is blared in the cinematics is annoying. The only song I liked was the reimagined Tristram theme in the first act.

9. Followers can't be used in multiplayer games.

10. A lot of times, there are too many effects, monsters and stuff on the screen all at once in multiplayer games.

11. Itemization in its entirety is less interesting and simpler in D3 than D2. "I'm a Witch Doctor; therefore, I concentrate on intelligence (DPS) and vitality, derp. All done." And the items are equally uninteresting. Then there are the horrendous drops. Does Magic Find even work? Finally, legendaries seem too rare and are not powerful enough.

12. Wizards running around with two handed axes and Barbarians with daggers. In other words, classes, for the most part, do not restrict which items you can or cannot use.

13. Male wizard looks like a pansy while the female wizard looks fine.

14. No way to search for players to look at their items, achievements, and characters. You can only look at the profiles of players who you've recently played with--or your friend's. 15. The time it takes to get to 60 is too short. 16. No PKing. And by PK, I mean actual PKing, not World of Warcraft battlegrounds and Arena (but as of now we don't even have that). 17. Matchmaking as opposed to a readily available list of public games where you can select exactly which game you want to join like in D2. 18. Having to listen to the same lines of dialogue and play through the same story events over and over again even though you're at the point where you've experienced it all before and is now only interested in leveling and itemization. 19. The servers are too unstable for a game that is online only. 20. Feminine-looking Diablo. Why did they do this? I don't know, but it looks stupid.
  72. Jun 10, 2012
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty) +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth +Good voiceacting and soundtrack -ridiculous always online drm -item variety feels a little disappointing -character customization lacking -story feels really rushed in the last chapters Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty)
    +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth
    +Good voiceacting and soundtrack

-ridiculous always online drm
    -item variety feels a little disappointing
    -character customization lacking
    -story feels really rushed in the last chapters

Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun game but it does not live up to the hype
  73. Jun 11, 2012
    Well, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You haveWell, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You have no internet? What's the problem with that? Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2012
    Obviously hated because of the always online requirement and dumbing down of the controls, Diablo 3 is still better than a lot of the games out on the market right now. Diablo has never really strived to be a lore heavy game. It's an arcade-style dungeon crawler. The whole point of the game is to grind for levels and look for loot. It is slightly disappointing they changed from the darkObviously hated because of the always online requirement and dumbing down of the controls, Diablo 3 is still better than a lot of the games out on the market right now. Diablo has never really strived to be a lore heavy game. It's an arcade-style dungeon crawler. The whole point of the game is to grind for levels and look for loot. It is slightly disappointing they changed from the dark and dreary visuals for something more.. Blizzard looking, but it doesn't look bad. The controls are simplified because it's meant to be played like an arcade game. The more die hard fans of the previous games will be disappointed, of course. They took out a lot of the customization options, and made it generally easier to play and dive into. Is it a good thing they did that? Ehh...

If you're looking for something epic like The Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, or something of that nature, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a game that you can run around and beat up monsters for a bit in, you'll enjoy it. It doesn't necessarily feel like Diablo, but it is still good.
  75. Jun 23, 2012
    As always in Blizzard releases, the visual impact is stunning. Colors, models, music, interfaces are just perfect. The average customer reaction is too influenced by early servers issues and does not even closely reflect what you experience in the game. Who accuses the plot to be predictable or puerile plot, maybe has forgot that Diablo has always been about some brave hero wandering andAs always in Blizzard releases, the visual impact is stunning. Colors, models, music, interfaces are just perfect. The average customer reaction is too influenced by early servers issues and does not even closely reflect what you experience in the game. Who accuses the plot to be predictable or puerile plot, maybe has forgot that Diablo has always been about some brave hero wandering and killing demons. If you look for something more intriguing, then the whole franchise is not what you need, not just this third episode. Try some german literature, maybe. Expand
  76. Jul 7, 2012
    This isn't a bad game. Some things were done very well. I had no real problem that there is an RMAH. If a game is going to be supported there needs to be a n ongoing revenue stream. My problem is that it felt like less of a game than I expected. In D2 you start in Tristram, go to the desert, then to a jungle, then to Hell. LoD added Arreat. In D3 you star in NEW Tristram, go to a desert,This isn't a bad game. Some things were done very well. I had no real problem that there is an RMAH. If a game is going to be supported there needs to be a n ongoing revenue stream. My problem is that it felt like less of a game than I expected. In D2 you start in Tristram, go to the desert, then to a jungle, then to Hell. LoD added Arreat. In D3 you star in NEW Tristram, go to a desert, skip the jungle, then to Arreat and then to Heaven. I guess the expansion will add a jungle. At the end of D2 the Worldstone has to be destroyed which was supposed to remake the world. Perfect lead in for a completely new storyline. But instead D3 just throws that out and plays it safe with a D2 retread. Expand
  77. Dec 23, 2012
    Wow... I haven't tried the game out but... I'm never going to try it now. Look at the score. It's totally red. Normally people give it 7 or 8 and then you will think about it. But this is too dangerous.
  78. Jan 20, 2013
    Good game. You can play for about 15-30minutes and go away, and then return. It doesn't need to stare at your PC for hours and hours. Good mechanisms.
    Background could be more gothic.
    It doesn't feel like a full game, but like a beta. It's just good, I thought that a this Blizzard game would be awesome.
  79. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm sure people are woundering why so many hate this game or simply why the critics say its so great. Yet almost every gamer is against it, now I'm a fan of the first two diablos, especially the second diablo. Whats happened in diablo three is that blizzard tried to take the series in a new direction. Which is what the second diablo did, but kept with what made diablo one so great and thatI'm sure people are woundering why so many hate this game or simply why the critics say its so great. Yet almost every gamer is against it, now I'm a fan of the first two diablos, especially the second diablo. Whats happened in diablo three is that blizzard tried to take the series in a new direction. Which is what the second diablo did, but kept with what made diablo one so great and that was the ablity to put skill points into verying skill trees which would change how the game played out. How diablo three does it is by using a system like WoW in which most skills and attributes are gained as one levels. So basically to make the game harder and in their minds to create more replay value. Which the only thing it really does is make people either farm for a certain point in the game in which their character gets one shoted at the very beginning of the level. Or to try and play through another few times to see what other loot comes with a higher difficulty. Which leads into the other issue diablo 3 has, its difficulty sittings are for force play. Just like the characters blizzard is trying to make it have more replay value but it doesn't pan out. If you've played the first two games you can plainly see through the story and basically know the ending by the end of the first level. For anyone else who is just now joining the series you probably won't get it until later on. Over all the game in itself is good, the art work that blizzard is known for shines and the game play is good. But it isn't a diablo game. If anything it should have been marketed as a different game since the only real connection between this game and its predecessor is the cookie cuter story. If they had changed the name and created a whole new series then I'd give it a 8 out of 10. But since its supposed to be diablo and the soul of it has been changed so that collections of new players can enjoy it more. It gets a 5 out of 10 Expand
  80. Mar 9, 2013
    For art this gets a 9, for effort a 10, but for fun it gets a 5 and that is what matters. The story pulls you through about 15-20 hours of play then, your done. Thats right. 15-20 hours and then you will get bored. Nice job blizzard you over polished a game with about 20 hours of play.
  81. Mar 11, 2013
    This is mostly looking back review, since I've experienced this game from a very launch till few big patches came. Patches did huge deal with D3, reworked difficulties, totally rebalanced characters, lots of items changes,raising two questions: is really long Alpha and Beta was necessary? And how do I played it daylong back in May? So that's amazing how addictive gameplay could be. NoThis is mostly looking back review, since I've experienced this game from a very launch till few big patches came. Patches did huge deal with D3, reworked difficulties, totally rebalanced characters, lots of items changes,raising two questions: is really long Alpha and Beta was necessary? And how do I played it daylong back in May? So that's amazing how addictive gameplay could be. No Offline (thanks to DRM) made player always suffer every trouble of Blizzard servers or your own connection. Sound and animation is a very positive point of the game, immersive and greatly combined with each other.
    What in summary: There is a thought, that D3 could have good use of an Add-on, like D2 gained its LoD.
  82. Mar 20, 2013
    A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House.A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House. Very predictable storyline with annoying characters as they guide you through Diablo 3. An attempt of shocking ending makes players want to face palm themselves because Blizzard was trying too hard on making a predictable plot twist. DIABLO 3 brought to you by BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. Expand
  83. May 2, 2013
    It wasn't a terrible game. The first play through was actually quite fun. And it had that 'I can't wait to get home so I can keep playing' feeling I loved so much with Diablo II.
    But it did have some serious flaws. I really don't appreciate the have to be online to play feature but I understand it, the real money auction house was a joke, the re-playability was limit and the story was kind of sloppy.
    All in all was a good way to kill a week of spare time, but not fantastic.
  84. Aug 5, 2013
    I really wanted to love this game, but with my bad internet connection and the always online requirement I couldn't. When I had good signal I had a good time, not as much fun as I had in D2, but fun none the less.
  85. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3 is hard to review. The area where this game really shines is its combat. The combat is so fluid and satisfying, it really saves the game.

As for the other elements: I didn't like the story or the mood of the game. It certainly isn't as dark as Diablo 2, sometimes it even feels childish, especially how the evil protagonists are presented to you.
    What really annoyed me is the amount of dialogue. Out of nowhere they talk to you, tease you and try to intimidate, but I never felt some kind of horror or fear. The game fails hard in this regard.
    The story is foreseeable, never exciting and all in all it doesn't really fit the Diablo setting. There are also some rather strange deciscion, especially when it comes to Deckard Cain. What happened to him doesn't add anything to the story or game world, but the franchise has lost its most iconic character. What's the point in this? I mean, maybe they have a long term plan when it comes to the story and someday it will make sense, but somehow I doubt this.

The new skill and character system is so easy and dumbed down, it doesn't promote "real" builds or great thought processes. But I won't blame it everything, a big player in this mess is also the item system, which just isn't complexe enough to encourage players to come up with new builds.

There are other things which people do not like, for example the real money auction house or the auction house in general. I am not a huge fan of it either, but nowhere is it the biggest problem of the game.

This price goes to the following: Blizzard is known for supporting its games with regular content. Diablo 3 is different in this way. There hasn't been any "real" content besides the uber bosses since its release, and even that is blatantly stolen from Diablo 2. I mean, they tried to change the game in so many ways, and now they come up with...this? It's not that the system about the uber bosses is bad or anything, it is just disappointing that the new team doesn't have its own ideas where it would be really appropriate, but changes things that worked really well, like the whole character and skill system.
    So, for me this is the biggest problem I have with this game: The lack of new content. And Diablo 3 is desperatley in need of some new mechanics that make this game more diverse. Be it an endless dungeon system like in Torchlight, or the map system like in Path of Exile, the Diablo 3 fails to implement exciting new ways on how to play. Sure, Diablo 2 doesn't have that either, but it has a ladder system and offers a ton of different builds. Diablo 3 doesn't have that and so it needs regular, new content to keep the masses interested. So therefore I never understood why they do not come up with DLCs or something similar, because judging from the lack of content it is obvious that the real money auction house fails to monetise on the game.

Conclusion: I still have hope for Diablo 3, but it will be a long road for Blizzard 'till this game is anywhere near Diablo 2 in terms of fun and replayability. Until then it will be a mindless grind for gear with better stats.
  86. Oct 17, 2013
    The first Diablo game that I didn't become addicted to playing. The good: smooth gameplay, some fun new monsters and abilities, more detailed landscapes. The cut scenes were also beautiful and exciting....only to be ruined by the terrible plot in-game. Yes, the game's main purpose is hack-and-slash and players don't want too much exposition, but the attempts at bringing the story togetherThe first Diablo game that I didn't become addicted to playing. The good: smooth gameplay, some fun new monsters and abilities, more detailed landscapes. The cut scenes were also beautiful and exciting....only to be ruined by the terrible plot in-game. Yes, the game's main purpose is hack-and-slash and players don't want too much exposition, but the attempts at bringing the story together felt like a joke. Obvious and cliche plot twsts. More bad: always online DRM in single player, inconsistency of atmosphere, nothing special about new locations (another boring desert? Seriously?). Hopefully the designers of the next game will realize there are more important things to a game than just changing the interface and general gameplay. 5/10 Expand
  87. Nov 5, 2013
    this game does not deserve a zero 1 or so on this wasnt that bad but was my most dissapointing game ever
    honestly when i finished this game i cried from the dissapointment i loved daiblo 2 so much i had lvl 98 druid i loved every time i killed the cows in the cow lvl but here i had nothing but dissapointment wimsyshire was crap compared to cow lvl boring drops the ending was sloppy aswell i miss the talents the old abilitys and the old hero's the new sorc was so dissapointing no druid just some random guy that looks like he is on crack everything in this game is easy as well the typing is laggy the second bossfight was a random spike all tho was still too easy if i were to say 1 good thing about the game it would be the cutscenes were so good it felt and looked real nothing in this game wants me to keep playing and the comunity is being lost to the better path of exile so 7/10 not good but not bad either
  88. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard -1)

89. Feb 21, 2014
    I played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy toI played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy to cherry pick the best gear in the game for your characters. In a game where the carrot on the stick is the gear grind... having a Auction House negated the carrot. I'm hopeful that the future expansion's overhaul of the legionaries, shut-down of the Auction House, and new character class will spark my interest. Expand
  90. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them withDiablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them with new ones? We could have about 9 character classes ... New characters are extremely uninteresting. I did not like the barbarian or witch doctor or monk or demon hunter. According to me it is just a good magician. Anything else? Probably not. Diablo III- I would only recommend it only for the biggest fans of the series. Expand
  91. Feb 24, 2014
    I've now played all 3 diablo games and I rate the ps3 version of D3 behind D2 but still very enjoyable. I doubt I'll still be playing it 2 years from now like D2, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth with this game.
    What They Did Right:
    Treasure - Diablo's all about treasure hunting for me looking for the final item of a set, a new weapon for one of your chars, etc. Battle - This
    What They Did Right:
    Battle - This version retains the "arcadeyness" of previous versions with no camera control - isometric view. On the ps3, this frees-up the left joystick for evasive maneuvers which make the battle feel of D3 the best so far.

What they Did wrong:
    Dumbed-down-to-one - Nearly all strategy has been taken out of the game. There are no decisions in character building making every character the same. Once you level a monk (for instance) to level 60, there's no need to play another, you'll just have another maxed-out copy of the first--maybe with slightly different gear. In the D2 days you had to decide where to spend your points and your decisions had a direct effect on the potency of the leveled character. I miss this. If there was a subtitle to this game it should be "Diablo for Dummies".

No more runes - In D3 you have only gems to put in your socketed equipment. Just 4 choices--topaz, emerald, amethyst, and ruby. Boooo!

All and all I'm having a great time vanquishing scores of demons and scooping up madd loot.
    I've reached Paragon in hardcore (after a few failed attempts) and suspect I'll be jamming this game for a few more months until I "switch gears" to concentrate on GTA V (which is waiting on the shelf).

If you liked d2
  92. May 27, 2014
    Review as of May 2014 by a non-fanboy who never played Diablo nor Diablo 2. I think maybe the closest game I've played to this was Dungeon Siege I & II back in the day.

In Diablo 3 you only have 1 AI follower at a time, except if you play with friends, but even then, the gameplay boils down to INFINITE grinding and looting. The different classes have some depth, but you'll eventually find your favourite 4 active skills and 3 passive skills and there's little incentive to change your play style, especially on higher difficulties where you need to be fast and precise and not be burdened by experimenting around. Nevertheless, the combat is ok, the 4 active skills you can choose at a time (from a wider offer which you keep unlocking as you level up) provide some strategy opportunity, but really it comes down to either you can kill the monsters or you need to escape and lower the game difficulty. The different locations are really not particularly interesting, and the progress through them is very linear. The story and its presentation is SHOCKINGLY poor! It's basically a poor excuse to allow to unlock new paths (always very linear, btw) and keep progressing. Progressing? I should say keep grinding and looting. And the allure of looting better stuff can only motivate you so much.

There is not much lore, interesting side quests, characters or really RPG elements other than combat stats. If you expect an adventure with an interesting story and characters, you'll find none of this, I fear. Instead, this boils down to infinite grinding of monsters. Even if you play with friends, which I haven't, I don't know that you'll get much out of it other than keep grinding to get loot in order to keep grinding and keep getting loot... Frankly, I finished the single player out of spite for the money I spent, which was not a cheap amount... I was not left with good memories.
  93. Jan 11, 2015
    Wizards and monks can use same weapons and armor as Barb but barb can't use ranged weapons, wands or staffs. In both my groups the barb has become pointless due to overpowering wizard using spear and shield and monk using some sort of polearm coupled with his skills. My barb can't keep up even using a two handed weapon. Doesn't make any sense that the barb is limited while the others areWizards and monks can use same weapons and armor as Barb but barb can't use ranged weapons, wands or staffs. In both my groups the barb has become pointless due to overpowering wizard using spear and shield and monk using some sort of polearm coupled with his skills. My barb can't keep up even using a two handed weapon. Doesn't make any sense that the barb is limited while the others are not in their weapon and armor choices. Who ever heard of a wizard using a shield? I'm sure this is a good game overall but I can't see past the unfairness to the barbarian. If I wasn't committed to two groups right now I probably would stop playing. Couple this with the fact I can't play without an internet connection and this feels like a waste of money. Expand
  94. Sep 1, 2015
    I never saw a Linear Story Line as Much as Diablo III, This Sequel is made to sell only, Blizzard Forgot that they should design an Enjoying Game, Making a Single Player game requires Internet 100% of time is a huge rip off,
  95. Jul 23, 2015
    1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's all I can say about this game. I'm a huge Diablo fan, but even after over a year of fixing, this game isn't as good as D2. The whole time I'm playing it, I feel like I'm playing a tablet game that's trying to sell me gold, or berries, or whatever. Heroes of the Storm has more tactical depth. They DID do a few things right. The mini-boss battles1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's all I can say about this game. I'm a huge Diablo fan, but even after over a year of fixing, this game isn't as good as D2. The whole time I'm playing it, I feel like I'm playing a tablet game that's trying to sell me gold, or berries, or whatever. Heroes of the Storm has more tactical depth. They DID do a few things right. The mini-boss battles are more varied and interesting. The monster abilities are cooler. The monster AI is better. The controls are tighter. It's clear that they were trying. It seems like they were on their way to a good game when management stopped them halfway through and asked them to turn it into Candy Crush.

I had all sorts of trepidation when I heard about the real-money auction house. I knew what they would have to turn the game into in order for the AH to be a big money maker. It turns out those fears were true. I hope now that Blizzard is no longer under Vivendi they can go back to making good games rather than running an elaborate online slot machine.
  96. Oct 23, 2015
    Matar, matar, matar, matar... Y matar? No tiene mucho más, las recompensas vienen solas y la campaña no tiene prácticamente sentido a no ser que te hayas pasado el juego de hace muchos años ya... Y la única rejugabilidad que tiene, es pasártelo con más nivel, y si no tienes internet amigo mío... Me da que no juegas!
  97. Nov 12, 2015
    The only way to understand what's wrong with Diablo 3 is to play Diablo 1 and 2.

For its time Diablo 1 was a revolutionary game that came to define the hack-n-slash-RPG. What many seem to forget however is that what held the game up was its story and character progression. You arrived in Tristram as a lowly adventurer, and not like in Diablo 3 as a cocky seen-it-all. There really is

You arrived in Tristram as a lowly adventurer, and not like in Diablo 3 as a cocky seen-it-all. There really is something to be said for starting out at the bottom and working your way up.

In Diablo 1 our adventurous explorer always felt in over his head as he delved deeper into the hidden catacombs below the church. He never mocked the evil he was up against, he realized he was a simple human taking on the forces of hell. Which isn't something to be sneezed at.

In Diablo 3 you always feel "all powerful" and it just takes the joy out of the game for me. For me Diablo 3's story falls flat on this single reason alone, if our hero does not fear Hell why should I?

Then there's the fact that the story is mass market trash designed to hit you over the head with a sledgehammer. Main story characters will die, others will betray you. It's like a bad soap opera and designed to force you as a player to feel something. Sometimes it works but most of the time it's just over the top ridiculous and insulting.

Diablo 2 was a vastly different game than Diablo 2, a real hack-n-slash instead of a hack-n-slash-RPG. But even so I think I actually preferred the story in Diablo 2, it had a quieter and less forceful way of progressing the story.

I will admit that I enjoyed Diablo 3 in Act 1, 2 & 3 - but then it fell apart completely for me in Act 4. What was done with the story and gameplay there was simply to forceful for my liking.

I like to take my time, explore, enjoy the story, read the lore and soak up the surroundings. But those elements of the game just went completely out the window towards the end of Diablo 3.

I will also blame the game for this:

1. Act 4 doesn't feel like Act 4, feels more like a big end game level.

2. I think the replay value is servery hurt by the story being so heavy-handed in Act 4. I can't see myself having fun replaying that.

3. Main story characters are killed and there is no explanation of what happened to them. I smell cash-cow-milking and expansion. Come on - a game is suppose to stand on it's own merit. If it's great we'll buy the expansion, but now I'm not so sure.

4. This may be a personal thing but I still prefer it the way Diablo 1 was. That is - once a level has spawned it stays that way and doesn't change. I prefer my explored maps to remain explored and I prefer my slain enemies to remain dead. Until you go to the next difficulty of course. Then it may change.

1. Aug 31, 2012