3.9

1. Jun 2, 2012
    Awsome game love it! Just finished normal difficulty, now heading to hell and after inferno.(Diablo III sold many copies and many people were attempting play on new servers. Problems are expected.) The game itself is fun, runs great, and is tremendously fun.
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played any Diablo game before as I am mainly a console gamer but due to the lack of seriously good games on consoles at the moment I turned my attention to Diablo 3.
    I have not encounter any connection problem and installation was a breeze. Even creating my Battlenet account was very easy.
    So now about being online all the time. Who came up with such a bad idea. I play on a
    laptop so no way for me to take my laptop and play somewhere with no internet connection (train , plane...) or at least I don't want to pay for while on the go.
    The game itself:
    The graphics are pretty poor for such a long awaited game. The story is so poor that I don't even follow anymore.
    Let be clear the best part of the game is the fighting and looting and so it should be. Fighting is fun, fast and furious. Looting is plentiful.
    The game is very easy to pick up. there is no learning curve install and play it.
    For whatever it is worth if you re ready to bear to be connected non stop to play even in single mode this game is fun. It is not the big blockbuster I was expecting and I am moving back to consoles as soon as I am done with Diablo 3 and from what I see it won't be long.
    Hopefully this kind of "big Brother" control won't come to console soon but I fear it is closer than we think.
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    Riding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery before you can really experience all of what the game's got to offer. Also, itâ Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    This is a very amazing game, one of the best I have ever played.There are many problems with the servers, but I can look past that because every other aspect of the game is very good. I love many of the new features they have implemented into this franchise since Diablo II, my favorite being the Auction House. I really recommend this game to all Diablo fans and people who have never even heard of the series before. If you own a computer then you should own this game. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    I didn't have any installation issues, and I didn't have a single crash after my first 20 hours of playing. It has been a long time that I spent so much time on a game, and I'm sure I will play many, many more hours. For me the game is definately worth the money. The current score of 4 is way to low for this game, but I can understand the frustration when you can't login because Blizzard is working on their servers while you are playing a single player. I have not played D1 and D2, but I have played Dungeon Siege 1/2 and Torchlight and this game is what I expected : loot, leveling, upgrading. The audio/music are atmospheric, and the movies superb. 9/10. Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    In a nutshell, Diablo 3 is a well refined Diablo 2 for modern times. Visceral physics-based destruction, awesome monster models, realistic CGI cutscenes, full voice acting and pleasing special effects are all excellent additions to the Diablo franchaise, making the experience that much sweeter.

It seems the nearly 11 years of development wasn't enough - some character voice acting
    (Female barbarian, for example) is terrible, with a lack of enthusiasm and a poorly imitated accent. The story and setting in the final act felt very rushed - the supposedly epic moment in the game featured very small areas, no main city, few monsters, and very rushed story - a lot happens at once, and it all resolves very quickly.

The gameplay has a lot of much-needed refinements, notably the flexible and open skill talent system, single-potions removes the annoying potion spam and randomized 'events' add replayability and exploration. The combat is very satisfying and addictive, and looting monsters has never been better! Multiplayer features a lot of improvements, such as achievements, an auction house, simple partying, proper 'exclusive loot' system and cloud support. Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe in this area, and unless you've never played previous Diablo games, you'll find very little new for gameplay.

It's still a click-fest; Blizzard hasn't discovered the wonders of a WASD movement system, though admittedly the 'click area' for monsters is quite forgivable. There were issues around large monsters in trying to move your player instead of attacking - the 'click area' for these demons are usually huge and not very intuitive - I repeat, a WASD movement system would fix this easily. Lastly, the 5 different character classes are vastly out of balance, where the melee classes have very little difficulty, and certain skills are downright trash. Maybe they will be useful in PvP (which was not shipped with the game). Lastly, for $60, Diablo 3 doesn't offer a long game - levels are no longer completely randomly generated a-la Diablo 1, and it only took 17.5 hours to absorb the majority of the game's content! For 11 years of development, a little more substance was expected.
    The controversial 'always-on' requirement, aimed at reducing game piracy, causes solo players to suffer. Players can now suffer from lag and disconnects, and is not playable when the servers are down. Not the best decision by Blizzard, but it's not as bad as some say, since the game works great when the servers are up.

Overall, Diablo 3 is a much-needed refinement to the Diablo games, well deserving of the "III" attached. Highly recommended to Diablo fans, those looking for fast-paced multiplayer co-op mayhem or those interested in the next best PC-exclusive title! Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe with Diablo 3, with very few major gameplay features added and it still feels like an unfinished product, with a semi-operational auction house, promised PvP and vastly imbalanced gameplay. To end on a high note, Blizzard is known to support their games for years and years, so there's no doubt this review's complaints will become obsolete in the future!
  7. Jun 5, 2012
    I simply love it! I remember playing diablo 2 alot, and I also tried many mods for it, and diablo 3 really brings the good memories of the game. Its the best diablo out there, and the best hack and slash type game ever.
  8. Jun 5, 2012
    El juego es muy bueno y ni hablar de los fisicos, es cierto que no tiene el mismo ambiente que Diablo II pero mejoraron mucho la historia, en verdad te hace sentir que estas salvando al mundo de la invasion de Azmodan, Baal y Diablo.
    Diablo III al igual que su predecesor cuenta con varios niveles de dificultad que son en la version en español: Normal, Pesadilla, Infierno y
    Averno, les puedo comentar que el juego es relativamente corto, unas 8 a 10 hrs de juego, pero en lo personal empece a difrutar el juego hasta que lo comence en nivel pesadilla y ni hablar de nivel infierno, el juego fue hecho para eso, en cada nivel se incrementa notablemente la dificultad y los drops de las bestias son cada ves mejores.
    Le doy un 9 y no un 10 debido al mal servicio de conexion de los servidores y estoy seguro que el 80% de las malas críticas es debido a que tienes 30 minutos o 1 hora explorando un mapa y casi al final del mismo te desconecta, perdiendo todo lo que habías avanzado.
    El sistema de venta de armas, armaduras, etc es muy bueno aunque todavía no esta al 100%, inclusive podras comprar y vender tus objetos con dinero real, un plus que pocos juegos te dan.
  9. Jun 5, 2012
    I've read some of the more negative comments about how amazingly bad the graphics are in this game. How amazingly bad the sound is in the game. How horrible it is that Blizzard makes you log in for the experience! It's ridiculous when you can't find one thing to say about even the worst game that has some positive spin on it. This game has reasonable graphics and a reasonable story line to follow. You all might as well get used to the format of logging on to play a game. It's a model you are exposed to a lot more than you realize when you gen up just about any game these days. I do have problems with Diablo...After 12 years, this game should have been better in several respects (including graphics, storyline and character creation). However, the pacing of the game is something that no one else has ever been able to replicate or even come close to. The second I let my guard down, then a giant mob enters the story. It's very well done in that regard. Torchlight was horribly paced and completely predictable and for the life of me I'll never understand what people see in it unless your IQ is below 80 (which I'm pretty sure also applies to most of the incredibly negative reviewers or they are under 15). Also, this is NOT an RPG but is an action RPG which is a whole 'nother ballgame. I was disappointed in its length but I must say that it is another game in nightmare and hell modes. Finally, the cinematics are great but way to short. Hopefully, the inevitable expansion will greatly enhance the play of the game. Expand
  10. Jun 5, 2012
    Addictive as ever and the difficulty has been ramped up to astronomical levels by time you hit Inferno. There is still some tweaks that need to be made as is always the case with online games, but the core game is incredible. Feels good to be playing a Diablo game again.
  11. Jun 5, 2012
    This is a great game. Many nights without sleep. Graphics could be better, but I like it. I play as a mage - this awesome class. Already finished the game once and want more and more. Thank you Blizzard for the best game of this summer.
    And pls sorry for my english :)
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    blizzard is trying some very exciting new things with their character building system. It's unlike everything I've ever seen before, with only one flaw: they didn't pull it off 100%. Theoretically, this system would allow for infinite and flexible builds and unlimited diversity (a very cool concept) but because certain skills don't scale well or are outright useless for the absurdly difficulty inferno difficulty endgame, player builds become homogenized. Sure there'll be a few minor variances, but I challenge you to find a wizard without venom hydras, or a demon hunter without hungering arrow, or a witch doctor without zombie bears. Supposedly this is being worked on as we speak, but in the meantime it's enough to taint the endgame a bit. Also the always online requirement is a big of a nuisance, though I forgave it after I finally caved and started playing the auction house.

In addition to having an unexpectedly amazing physics engine, murdering demons (something you'll be doing a lot of) is incredibly satisfying. Enemies die in different ways depending on the methods used to kill them. Poisoned enemies begin to rot and peel away on the ground, burned enemies are charred husks, victims of arcane magic continue to glow with magical residue, and enemies struck with enough physical force can sometimes have their bodies completely separated from their skeletons. And just to be completely clear, I am not exaggerating what I just said in the slightest bit. You can LITERALLY hit a zombie so hard, his skeleton detaches and flies away while his body liquifies into a bloody smear. Even the smear is dynamically generated.

So much has been poured into the fine details of this game to make it incredibly satisfying, so it honestly makes me a little sad to see so many people rating it with zeroes because of things like "it's more colorful than diablo 2"

All in all, this new ARPG is doing some crazy new things, things I fully expect to see copied by competitors in the future.
  13. Jun 6, 2012
    This game is everything I could have asked for and more. I have put an endless number of hours in both previous games in the series, and I must say D3 is the best of them. Metacritic really should purge all the poor scores from people complaining about online only. It was clearly posted on Blizzard's websites, and it was listed on each and every retail box.
  14. Jun 7, 2012
    I haven't played any of the previous Diablo's, I'm thinking about buying them to compare, but Diablo III is a very enjoyable game to mess about on with friends or play seriously by yourself. Overall the graphics are nice, the gameplay is enjoyable, connection is fine. I don't know why people dislike it so much!
  15. Jun 7, 2012
    The game retains the classic feel of the originals with quick hack-n-slash mechanics, lots of loot, random levels, and excellent progression. There is excessive gore albeit you're looking at it from a distance.

The new skill system is deviously clever, and so far none of my friends are using the exact same build despite pre-release criticisms.

Itemization is lovely. I no longer feel like
    my class is preventing the majority of my loot drops from being useful. The focus is back on the stats where it should be instead of class restrictions.

The story is heart wrenching and well told. Leaves me wanting a new expansion very badly.

Artistically it's gorgeous. It's obvious a lot of thought went in to it. It's easy to follow your character in combat even when assaulted by dozens of mobs, and I can instantly recognize where I am in the game based on the palette used.
  16. Jun 7, 2012
    Really great game. Most of the negative reviews are from people having launch day issues. It's really unfortunate, because the gameplay is really polished, quests are interesting, and just plain fun.
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    I have to say that this is one of the best games I have ever played. Yes I felt it was to simplistic at first but the skill tree is awesome! There are so many options. I have been gaming on the PC and Apple computers sense 1983 and I get board of games very easy now a days and I have to say I have put 28+ hours into the game and I found my self wanting to play it more (This has not happened in years). I don't care about the DRM (pirate games are just as bad or worse) because I think that the developers ($$$$) need a pat on the back for this game. I know that Activision is a $$ cow but what company is not???? AT&T, Google, Microsoft, Apple, GM, Verizon, GE, IBM, EA, Facebook on and on!!!! We live in a capital nation and what this what we can we expect. I am just happy that PC gaming is so alive and well. Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed both Diablo 1 & 2 and was eager to to play the third, and i love it. the combat is fun and every level up feels like an accomplishment. It's definitely a game that i could sink 100 hours into, much like i have done with previous entries in the series. sure there are somethings that blizzard could have done better, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a great game and should be played by all Expand
  19. Jun 9, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a okay game, but not the game I was waiting to show up. The graphics are a little outdated, but once you start liking them there is no turning back. The main reason for 8 is simple. The game is fun, fast-paced like hack-n-slash should be, but there is not so much new content if you decide to play it again, and there is no singleplayer. Most of the bugs would have been avoided simply by adding singleplayer to the game. Expand
  20. Jun 10, 2012
    So, along with everybody else, server blah blah, pain in the ass blah blah, should be offline blah blah.
    That being said, just finished on normal difficulty. It took me about 22 hours ( I like to grind a little). I thought there was nothing wrong with the story, possibly could have done more but didn't need to. Cut scene graphics were great. In game graphics I thought were pretty ordinary
    to start with but as I grew accustomed to the art style I found myself thinking how good it looked on several occasions. The gameplay for the most part is fairly polished, lag issues sometimes causing minor problems. Special skills ( demon hunter) seem to annihilate whilst the ordinary attack seems underpowered in comparison. I sometimes got the feeling of repetitiveness but this was probably part due to over-tiredness. Probably my biggest frustration was the loot. I seemed to get plenty of rare drops but they were rarely any better than the standard magical items I was carrying, or they were for the wrong class. Even killing the big bosses was a disappointment in loot. By the end of the game I had 75% rare items equipped. I got my weapon from the auction house because with all my grinding couldn't get anything worth using ( perhaps that's blizzards plan). In conclusion, this is one of the rare games that I was interested enough to see through to completion so I definitely don't think it worth the score it's attracted. There are plenty of achievements to go back for etc if you don't have anything better to do. 8/10 Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    Dont listen to any of these reviews, the 0 and low scores are from people who either bought it and had trouble logging on or someone who thought it was going to be exactly like diablo 2. Diablo 3 is a GREAT game and im loving it so much 1 month after release. Will be holding my attention for years!
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    Great game especially in Coop with friends!
    DIablo will always a grind game so if you don't like it, just leave it!
    auction house is a dangerous thing because you can get hooked just looking for items for your character instead of playing the game normally
    I advise you to finish the game normally and then go to auction!
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    An incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render the player effectively blind for non-negotiable lengths of time-- even in single player. If Blizz fully comprehended the server expense of having all games run entirely on the server's side, it's disappointing at best and infuriating at worst that Battle.net's capacity for demand doesn't cut the mustard. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2013
    Diablo 3, despite its many flaws, exploitable content, and grind-oriented gameplay, is a solid title. I could talk about its shortcomings, but seeing as how it has a 4.0 user rating I'm sure most of those have been covered in great detail. Instead I'll talk about how its a reasonably entertaining game with a high amount of polish.

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its
    predecessors, but they're crisp and aesthetically appealing. The sound and music is also top-tier material; however, voice acting is sub-par.

The co-op is great and it's super easy and super fast to join up with friends. This is accomplished mainly by the fact that the game has virtually no load times. Yes, character customization is dumbed down, but it still has depth.I like the fact that there are so many viable abilities in the end-game and that you can choose a skill setup that matches your play style without severely handicapping yourself. Combat is fun and satisfying. The end-game is difficult, but far from impossible... just as Blizzard promised. Actually, I would have given the game an 8/10, but I felt obligated to subtract a point because of the upcoming nerf to inferno difficulty. Bad move in my opinion. After killing Diablo on inferno difficulty, I have no motivation to continue playing. Nerfing the difficult content is only going to expedite that process for others.

All in all I don't think this game will have the lasting appeal that Diablo 2 did, but it's still a solid title worth checking out, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
  25. Dec 10, 2013
    Very boring game with no great standouts, only the narrative maybe. could have been made in 2 years instead of a decade, so much anticipation for nothing, really.....
  26. Jun 12, 2012
    This is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.) - taken from wikipedia - Diablo 2 Even if i played like 120hrs now,i will play more but it bores me now,diablo 2 never bored me for 4 years, Everybody say that D2 became good after lod and patches,in my opinion if this is true why couldn't they bring those goodies in D3. If this game hadn't been called Diablo it would be a 10+++++ rated game,but because it bears the name diablo,and cant exceed the minimum for it,it gets only 7. Expand
  27. Jun 13, 2012
    It amuses me how people people give such a negative comments on a game they have hardly touched. Several complaints are simply that there are minor issues with the game play, but if this was made by another company they would be compliments on how few they are instead. Others complain that you don't get to put points into a particular stat like you we're able to in the previous Diablo games and this creates a lack of diversity in builds. This simply is untrue as the current system allows for far more option, in D2 you would just go on-line and find the best build and use that one, now you actually think about what abilities you are going to take depending on you play style and group make up. Another common complaint is that the game is too easy, for this I have to say get to hell difficulty act 2. that is where the challenge really starts to ramp up. Normal and Nightmare really are there to teach you how to play your character and slowly give you all your skills with their 6 different variants each, Hell is to finish off your levels, and Inferno is to Give you the real Challenge. One last complaint is that the game is Grindy, well that shouldn't really be a surprise this is a Diablo game after all. Finally this game isn't perfect and there is defiantly areas that can be improved, and if we know Blizzard the problems will never be fixed.. JK everyone knows deep down that any bugs and game play issues will get fixed it's just a matter of time ;) Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2012
    I've put in a lot of time into this game, and I must say that Blizzard has truly outdone themselves. The story that continues right from the end Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction truly makes this a fantastic title with marvelous boss fights, replayability with up to 8 characters, Hardcore, and at least 4 difficulties that I have seen there is so much content packed into the game we can all see ourselves playing this game at least until the new Starcraft 2 expansion comes out. Plus with the easy ability to join into a public game and get involved with other games it is just fantastic. The only two complaints is why do they not have a feature where I can speak to my teammates through a mic, and I should not have to be online to access the game because I might not have a fantastic internet connection, but still want to play the game. SINGLE PLAYER should never have lag. Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2012
    I totally get being unhappy with the lack of innovation, but this is Blizzard, they don't innovate games so much as they perfect them. This is Diablo II perfected. It's also updated for a modern audience, yeah it's easier on lower difficulties but so is every other game these days. This game is unreal in it's abiility to suck you into it. I hate PC games to the point where this is the first one I've bought in over a decade, the last being Diablo II and I am loving every second of it. Don't let the crybabies fool you. This game is epic and once all the kinks are worked out within the next few months plan on playing this for years. Say that about other games...oh yeah you can't Expand
  30. Jun 15, 2012
    a good game deserves a good mark for great graphics. Optimal optimal gameplay of the series continued good characters and good dialogues blizzard had seven years of production
  31. Jun 16, 2012
    Erm, blimey, so many negative reviews! It's still a decent game, combat brutally satisfying in places, graphics are great for a single player game and the bosses are suitably huge and intimidating. Yes the online aspect is annoying, (it's fine with a good internet connection) but at least you don't have to pay a subscription fee. The story is also sub-par and at times I got bored with the weary exploring progression. But in the midst of huge battles with hordes of demons, with my character jumping everywhere while dealing insane damage and blowing stuff up, I really enjoyed it. So yeah, lighten up guys! Expand
  32. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good:
    Diablo III has the formula that made it's predecessors work down to an art-form. The story, while not particularly deep, is a great monster-slaying setup with stunning cutscenes and story elements. The gameplay is addictive and intuitive, offering many choices on builds for characters and the ability to swap skills/powers in and out on the fly is a welcome feature. The visuals and soundtrack are equally great, continuing to bring the dark, medieval fantasy setting of the Diablo universe alive and keeping it dark and foreboding in tone. The game length is just long enough, neither being too long or too short... especially since the game kind of dictates multiple play throughs. The multiplayer is well-implemented, the fact that you can choose to play with friends or in public games makes it the game much more private and fun than that of an MMORPG, but at the same time keeps the kind of feel of being part of a community.

The Bad:
    The item drops are way too random and the 'magic find' trait is misleading in it's function. Items you need or want won't drop unless you spend several hours, maybe even days, 'farming' for them and, more often than not, 90% of the item drops you do get will be fodder for salvage or straight-up selling. The blacksmith's item creation is also too random often requiring mass amounts of gold, resources and several costly tries to produce an item of any kind of use, which seems unfair after all the gold and resources you already dump into him to level him up in order to make him capable of making certain level items... not to mention the items he creates can only be sold for any kind of profit on the Auction House, which is hit or miss. Skills, while varied in their styles and powers, are only a masquerade. Several classes have what could be awesome abilities, but after Act I, Normal difficulty, these powers lose any and all usefulness. The class' all seem to have one or two skill/rune set combos that are the best, rendering all the other abilities obsolete, which only gets worse the higher level the character gets. This creates the illusion of customization, but it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Multiplayer, while fun, is required on higher difficulties, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Personally, I'd like to be able to go through the game by myself on any difficulty. Cramming multiplayer down my throat is an unwanted feature.

The Ugly:
    This new fad games are trying to use of only allowing players to play if they're online, even for single player, seems to be unnecessary. The Auction House, while a cool idea and useful, is a cop out, but at the same time you'll find that you have to use it in order to get your character up to a level in which he/she can survive... especially on higher difficulties.

Overall:
    It's beautiful and keeps things simple and in the vein of previous Diablos making it accessible to old and newcomers alike. The random item drop seems way off kilter, not giving you what you need to progress and forcing you to spend oodles of gold (or even real money) in the Auction House to get 'caught up'. The skills have enormous unrealized potential by only picking a few of the 'best' skills and making those the best build options and not allowing equal optimization with all the powers.
  33. Jun 18, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a great game. While is not made in the same path as Diablo 2 it has its own merits to say the least. Act 1 trough 2 are the best in a open environment scenario type while the rest of the Acts takes a more linear path. Having said that some players will not be happy with this. It also has an auction house where you can purchase things with gold currency or real money and sell in the same manner. While some think this is bad for Diablo I see it as a way to have fun while maybe earning something in return. The graphics are great, not mind blowing but good enough to keep you going. With that said some players will desire more eye candy in graphics but Blizzard took a safer approach ensuring that most of the player base can max most of the settings. The game has some flaws, one of them being the requirement to be online at all times to enjoy the game. This on a single player game will undermine and penalize gamers that purchase the game on a store and may not have an active connection at home or a poor connection overall.
    While in general chat will tend to see some spam from gold sellers and blocking or reporting this spammers don't really mitigate the current problem. Overall I'm enjoying the game and some might like it and some might not. But at the end everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone likes the same cup of tea..
  34. Jun 19, 2012
    Diablo III is an action RPG set in a Dante-esque world constantly threatened by the lords of Hell. As far as action RPG's go, Diablo III is definitely a bash-in-the-door dungeon crawler, and it sticks to what it knows best: blasting things, looting, and blasting things harder. Most of the time, you'll be casually destroying weak enemies, but the real fun comes in when tackling the bosses or the elite enemies. Some of them are very difficult, and won't be beaten without tight tactical play. The difficulty is curved nicely, for the most part, and if you can't beat an enemy, a switch of skills often does the trick, but sometimes you just need to farm to move past it.

As a casual Diablo II veteran, I really enjoy the new direction Blizzard has taken with the series: no decision is permanent, which means that you can try things out, reverse non-optimal decisions, and switch play styles on the fly to see what works best or you. Character customization is therefore limited to the build you choose to play at any given time. However, many Diablo veterans dislike the more radical changes from previous iterations, so I won't say Diablo III is better, just that I like it a lot more.

The auction houses add the ability to buy/sell items with other players, which can make a huge difference if the random loot you get doesn't leave you with, for example, good armor but a useless pair of pants. The downside is that a lot of the gear needed to perform well at the hardest difficulties can be prohibitively expensive, and isn't much of an improvement over farming.

The always-online restriction does get annoying, especially because I've been in some areas since launch with bad Internet, but it's nice that all of single-player play won't be lost when I decide to play online co-op. It makes things harder, but ultimately doesn't ruin the game if you normally have access to a mediocre or better connection.

All in all, it's hard to beat Diablo if you're interested in a good dungeon crawler. Don't go in expecting it to be like Diablo II, because it isn't. I recommend it, but beware that your mileage may vary, especially for the high cost.
  35. Jun 19, 2012
    this game has the most amazing graphics and is incredibly addictive! even if you finish the game playing it at a higher level of difficulty is still really fun! blizzard never disappoints!
  36. Jun 20, 2012
    Not sure where the hate is coming from with this game. I'm about 25 hours in and the game just keeps getting better. Sure there were server issues for the first week or so but what game doesn't have them. Passionate gamers have built a game for us and for the masses. I almost never replay any game and I'm about halfway through my second play-through and see no reason to stop until finishing the last difficulty level. Ignore the haters, this is a fantastic game by one of the best game studios in the business. Expand
  37. Jun 20, 2012
    To me, this game is pretty awesome actually, however I can only give is a 6 because of the troubles i had even getting the launcher to work! i must have looked for answers for 4 hours at least. However, the game, once working, is pretty fun and a good buy.
  38. Jun 21, 2012
    The game itself is good, although the price of 60$ +tax% is a too pricey for a game that offers little more than a rough 6-8 hour campaign with none of the modern rpg element of this decade. By that I mean, the standard has been set, and Diablo 3, though much better than its predecessor, it lacks the modern feel. I understand that keeping to the original style of the game is always nice(Top angular Camera angel, skill usage) and all, but leaving out everything that is expected from rpg this day and age was not a wise choice. Simple things such as character customization , in-depth npc, etc. I know that one of the Diablo's series praised trait is its action, with little to no story, but! THOSE time has changed, and it wouldn't hurt a company who spent nearly 11 years making this(though they are still delaying everything) couldn't just add a more in-depth experience beyond the "POINT CLICK-LOOT-KILL BOSS-WATCH CUTSCENE FOR STORY(Story was good, kudos to that)". Most of all, I felt the game left a lot to be desired by the veterans of Diablo 1 & 2, stripping the mechanics of pointing skills points where i want, just for the cause of making a simpler for casual gamers. I understand that by doing this, they could draw in more modern gamers, but yet they couldn't included other modern content that I already mentioned above. To conclude my review, I would love to say that, I personally enjoyed the game, and had my moments with it, but at the end of it all, it left a bland taste in my mouth, that even though it was polished and well in-tuned with most of it's origins, it had a lot to be desired. 7/10*. Expand
  39. Jun 24, 2012
    Not the best game ever created but very enjoyable if you love loot grinding games because that's all Diablo III is - It's your basic, old-fashioned, top-view, dungeon crawler/kill spree/loot grinding/Action RP game, similar to Torchlight and tons of games from the 90's. Not much story, just lots of bloodshed. The graphics are good for an isometric 3D game but the audio is lacking (not in quality, there just isn't enough sound effects and music). The controls are easy to learn, expect to click a LOT as with any loot grinding/action RP, and the interface is simple and informative. There are four difficulty levels in the game: Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno. For fans of this genre I'm warning you now: I found gameplay a little too easy on Normal difficulty and on Nightmare difficulty - Normal should have been branded Easy and Nightmare as Normal - I've just gotten into Hell difficulty and I'm finally having to start strategizing and kiting. Not sure what Inferno will be like. The classes the game offers are your standard Warrior, Rogue, Necromancer/Mage. All of them are enjoyable and offer an experience unique from the other classes. Overall, judging this game as a standard mass murder and loot spam game. I'm very satisfied with it. The graphics are good, the basics of the game are simple to grasp, and the classes & combat are great. Still, this is 2012 not 1996. A modern game should have a great story, fantastic soundtrack to accompany it, character customization (from stat assignment to choosing the way your character looks), a wide range of difficulties, and offer gameplay that is more interactive than clickclickclick on bad guys. This is a fantastic game for the genre but compared to modern classics outside of the genre, like Oblivion & Skyrim or Shadow of the Colossus, this game comes up lacking. I'm giving this game a 8/10 from the viewpoint of a guy that grew up on these kinds of games and the original Diablo and can enjoy the game for what it is, but I'm certain younger players and those that are new to the genre will not appreciate it. TL;DR - Buy if you enjoy loot grinding/action roleplay games that have limited story, lots of killing, easy to get into, interesting classes, and lots of content. Don't bother if having a well thought out story, a great soundtrack, challenging gameplay, offers character customization, and want anything more than click spam & run away combat. Great dungeon-crawler and a solid game that is much better than the original Diablo but compared to many modern games it's not very impressive. Just an FYI if my review didn't scare you away, all of the technical problems mentioned in previous reviews no longer exist - I've never had a problem connecting to the servers or encountered any bugs. Expand
  40. Jun 26, 2012
    This is a fun game, dont get me wrong: It's a solid hack-n-slash game, lots of clicking with your mouse, fast-paced, lots of looting. Overall though, I guess I'm just not as impressed as I thought. This could be due to all the hype and high expectations associated with D3, but it's alot different than its predecessor D2. This newer game has graphics more like Warcraft, more colorful but still "Hell" themed. I personally dont mind that the entire skill tree is unlocked by level, The game definitely has good CO-OP mode, you can join automatched public games. The story isn't that good, or maybe I wasn't paying attention... And overall, I feel like the game is too short. but I've only played on normal, and currently nightmare. Its a good game, sometimes I like Skyrim better. Expand
  41. Jun 26, 2012
    In order to give a non-biased review, a friend and I did a full D2 playthrough before buying D3, and I honestly don't see why everyone is so butthurt. D2 was a great game, one of my all time favorite and although D3 doesn't quite live up to that legend, it's still a pretty damn good game. The gameplay is solid, the physics on the enemies, the variety of ways each one dies and the "impact" of each attack really makes the combat fun and engaging.

As far as server issues go, as a late buyer I've managed to avoid all the connection errors and lag that many pre-order players experienced. I've currently half way through nightmare, and the game has had no bugs, connection issues or other problems of that sort. Many welcome changes have been added to make the game less cumbersome. Many of you have referred to this as "dumbed down", but I for one am glad to see that the game is more user-friendly. Do i miss being able to spend points on my character to make them unique? No not really, because any player who is making a serious build will generally get the str and dex required for their gear and then dump the rest into vitality anyways. As far as skills go, being able to through points into each skill is nice, it's also quite fun to have access to every build without having to commit the entire character to one or another. The runes that modify the skills add a great amount of depth, allowing you to customize your skills to suit your playstyle.

Obviously however, I do have some complaints about the game. First of which, Normal mode is way too easy. I know inferno mode makes up for this (though it has issues as well), I felt like Normal mode was "here casual players, this is the storyline: have fun". It was so easy that I got a touch bored as I one shot entire groups of mobs with ease, never losing any health. Even Diablo himself was a pushover. Nerfs to certain classes and builds is also pretty annoying. Having built your character into a behemoth of destruction, only to have the core of your build nerfed into the ground is a real fun killer. The games storyline (outside of the awesome cutscenes) is rather bland, though I honestly wasn't too engaged in the D2 storyline either. Overall I think the game was well worth my money, and anyone giving this game anything under a 6 really had their hopes set too high. The game had bugs on release and some large nerfs went by, but any gamer worth a damn knows that a game of this scale is going to have some issues.
  42. Jun 26, 2012
    This just proves that the critic reviews are always more accurate (and not full of bullcrap). How can you give a game the 0 score just because it has DRM.
  43. Jun 27, 2012
    I've been having lots of fun. I don't dump money into the auction house (have yet to spend $0.01 on the RMAH), and I've been gearing up in Act 1 inferno before I move on to Act 2. The story isn't that great, but who cares about it after you clear normal?
  44. Jun 29, 2012
    I'll start with the cons: Must be online, Horrible Story, Very little customization, a little to easy on first difficulty. Now the pros: Enjoyable game play, replay ability, nice gear systems, challenging bosses (later difficulties),
    fitting skills, Gothic overtone, enjoyable multi-player/single-player, classes are diverse and have different play styles, and quality graphics. Despite the
    rage I think this game deserves an 8. Expand
  45. Jun 29, 2012
    Good game, Better than Diablo 2 when it came out , Yes the game is not a masterpiece at the moment, but the development team is still adjusting minor flaws and trying to make it a game enjoyable for everyone. I recommend it for every hack and slash enthusiast and the haters are going to hate anyway so have fun and you won't be disappointed. If you want to make sure your gonna have a real masterpiece, you can wait for the expansion, by then the game will be entirely perfect, by then see you in-game :) Expand
  46. Jul 1, 2012
    Ok, as far as the game I'm really enjoying the game play as it is exactly what I expected. Graphically the game looks amazing. There is a decent variety of mobs to slaughter and the terrain really sets a mood. On the down side the "random" generation of the world is not nearly as good as it was in the previous versions of the game. After 10+ years of waiting I'm not sure it was even possible to live up to my expectations. Was I disappointed with the lack of customization available for the classes, extremely. Does it kill the games fun? In my opinion, no. Because the limitation will breed more creativity in character builds. Many people will disagree with that but this game is still incredibly young and as patches continue to roll out the balance will become more apparent. I have to say that the reliance on gear as opposed to player skill and character skill is pretty annoying because I get the sneaking feeling that this is being used to push the RMAH. The game is very good, not great. I'm hoping that as future patches roll out the game gets better and better and Blizzard doesn't disappoint. Expand
  47. Jul 2, 2012
    Don't listen to the haters, this is an amazing game. Yes, different than D2, but thankfully so! It's about loot, loot, loot and blizz will continue with tweaking the game for years to solve and perfect balance, just like they've done with all their games. Again, don't listen to the herd whiners!
  48. Jul 5, 2012
    After 2 months from the release of Diablo 3,after 100 hours of gameplay,i've decided to post my opinion about it.its a great game.it's again one of the most addictive games i've ever played...the battle mechanics,looting,auction house,bosses,they are so addictive in result that you can't stop playing...i've encountered a few problems with drm mode,everything is fluent,fast and easy...one of the best games ever... Expand
  49. Jul 12, 2012
    Nice game, great gameplay, smooth action, good balanced classes, AH. Big minus, after 300Hrs og playing there is not much to do. I have beaten beten diablo on inferno, have 3x60 and got bored with game.

Still, game is very much worth money spent.
  50. Jul 13, 2012
    Abysmal writing paired with a new model for the dungeon crawler which forces you to engage with the story on every play through would be a near dealbreaker for me if it weren't so easily cut short and skipped. However, if you're playing Diablo for the story, you may not be familiar with the franchise. Once you get past the generic platitudes and poor voice acting, you find a game which is solid at its core. The combat is fast paced, the skills and spells have a satisfying impact to them, and the environments and enemies are well designed. The drops, while a cause for much grief at the games inception, have been tweaked sufficiently to give a sense of progression even in the early stages of a players journey through inferno difficulty (the "end game" of Diablo). People complain about DRM, the AH, and the server stability at launch, and yes, some of that is warranted. However, at no point have I felt like my success was contingent on the AH since the drop patch. Furthermore, I've made quite a bit of money (real life money, that is) from selling items I find which I don't need for myself. The game has paid for itself 4 times over for me, and in a day where funds are limited, that's a huge plus. If you liked Diablo II and are willing to chug through some growing pains for its successor, Diablo III is an easy to justify purchase, especially since the game is effectively free after some modest time spent farming and selling. Expand
  51. Jul 13, 2012
    Grinding Inferno Act III, the game so far is a lot of fun. Once you get the proper gear
    this game gets really good. The elites in this game are some of the best I have
    ever seen. I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes ripping through
    huge amounts of mobs and killing stuff.
  52. Jul 17, 2012
    My overall experience of the Diablo hasn't changed since Diablo 1 till now. Item grinding is the main purpose of the game, always. I don't understand what everyone was expecting.
  53. Jul 20, 2012
    I have fun playing D3. I wish the story line was a lot longer though. The world feels a bit small and linear. The classes I've played are fun and the classes I've watched look fun. Normal is so easy I wish you could skip it. I like the skill system in general, its obvious that some options are better than others but you can always mess around (at least at easier difficulties) I'm not concern that you have to be online to play all the time. I really don't get the fuss. Anyway, have fun playing but its not likely you'll be blown away. Expand
  54. Jul 22, 2012
    I am struggling to understand all the negativity regarding Diablo 3. The story is far more pressing and fleshed out than either of the first two games. The graphics are far better than people are giving credit for - as for it looking like a WoW clone, I don't even know what to say, the setting can be both bright as well as violent and disturbing. The new "skill unlock" system is fantastic - you can finally play the game how *you* want to play it. No two builds will be the same. Look up ANY Diablo 2 build and if you don't see the words "put as many points into strength as needed for equipment, enough in dex for max block and dump the rest in vit" then I'll stand utterly corrected.

The only negative point I can give is the always online system, while i'll never agree with it, it hasn't affected my personal enjoyment of the game. If I lived somewhere with a less stable ISP, then maybe my tune would change a bit, but as it is - can't fault it.
  55. Jul 23, 2012
    This could've been a masterpiece,but sadly, it's only very good. There's always hope Blizzard will polish it further, until it reaches the level of it's prequel.
  56. Jul 23, 2012
    I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game, and it's fun. The biggest problem it's got going for it is the 12 years between Diablo II and III. In that time, we've seen copycats "do" Diablo over and over and over and over, with varying levels of success. What made Diablo I so amazing was that it was really a new, frenetic style of playing an RPG game. Kind of a "ramped up" Roguelike game that was instantly addictive. Ridiculously addictive. Diablo II carried the torch a few years later and raised the bar significantly. All the fun of the first, plus tons of new innovations. Diablo III doesn't add or subtract much from Diablo II, and that's pretty disappointing given the 12 years in-between. If anything, Diablo III has indeed carried on the HORRIBLE pit of hell gamer-makers have fallen into of "dumbing down" their games and making it accessible to the least-common denominator. They don't understand, I guess, that hardcore gamers are the fan base, and that what the hardcores say translates well into the general public. In other words, a series like the Elder Scrolls caught on and became hugely popular almost strictly because hardcore gamers went on and on about how great it was. Instead of appealing to the hardcores and making games more intricate and more complex, with more features, and more moving parts, they seem to strip away and streamline and make console-friendly, and yada yada yada. Diablo III is a prey to this mentality as well, and the aggravation is reflected with such low (too low, absolutely too low) scores.

In the end, what Diablo III is is a continuation of a legendary series of games. Unlike the first two, III doesn't really raise any bars or add any innovations that we will now see replicated in dozens of copycats, and that's too bad. Instead of opting for trend-setting, Diablo III plays it relatively safe and stands as a solid, fun, addictive, nice-looking, stable game, a decent addition to the series, but nothing terribly mindblowing. I tired of it after about 2 weeks, and I can absolutely not say that about the first two Diablos. The difference? Having stripped all of the customization out of the game (attributes, skills, etc.), I never really felt all that connected to my characters, which have a definite "pre-made" feel to them. The hallmark of any role playing game is the role playing part of it. This is action and it's clearly designed more for the unwashed masses than the hardcore gamers.
  57. Jul 30, 2012
    I got lots of fun out of this, playing hardcore and only hardcore. But after round about 500 hours i cannot find any motivation to even log in.
    Now, that is an aweful lot of time. So the game can't be bad, can it ?

No, but it could've been on hell of an uber-game with some little tweaks.
    If they had only realized, what made D2 so succesful in the first place, like diversity in builds,
    no stupid free respecc, no real hard lvl cap, smart itemization and the list could go on for quite some time.
    Everything here is just way too simplified to be fascinating in the long run.
    Bummer.
  58. Jul 31, 2012
    This game is intended to be one thing. The best dungeon crawler for PC. I do not feel that it fell short of that order. However, dungeon crawlers have not been as popular in recent years, that is why there aren't as many of them. In addition, the people that I believe this game is intended for, are gamers that are more prone to retro and classic gaming. The younger generations definately do not have the appreciation for the amount of work that these works of art take. Try playing what was out there 15-20 years ago. See how far we have come. But not to become sidetracked, I must address another very important element of the game and that is balance. The game is so refined, you can tell that they worked tirelessly to make a game that would provide for a lot of continuous play. I myself leveled up two characters, 1 monk and 1 wizard to the high 50's. However, at this point it became very very difficult. That is the reason why I made the Wizard. This would be the only downside that for many is an upside, which is the difficulty. I believe that a little more of a gradient curve is needed concerning difficulty so that players do not give up. Because one thing is for sure in the video game world, if you put down a game for more than 2 weeks there is a good chance that you won't be playing it much more in the future. Thats just the simple truth. Would I recommend this game? Of course, Dollar for Dollar I still don't think that there is a better purchase for lovers of classic dungeon crawling action. I am guilty of buying my cousin and my friend this game for gifts. Needless to say the gifting went over well.
    There is no denying that Blizzard still makes among the most polished games on the market, and I feel that we often come to expect perfection from them which is unrealistic. At some points games cannot live out all your fantasies in life. You have to get up out of the chair and walk outside.
  59. Aug 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. esse jg e totalmente legal, n e injuativo como os outros a pocas classes claro mais n deixa de ser um bom jg point click . ele se iguala muito aos outros diablos 2 e 1 mais há muitas coisas q mudam.. Expand
  60. Kyo
    Aug 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game, it has good graphics, fun gameplay especially in multiplayer, and a good atmosphere. At first this game is really epic I really got into it, and after the first cutscene man I had the chills, but it dies down after act 2 or the middle of act 2. I like the classes and how each one is individual and different, from voodoo magic, traps and crossbows, powerful punches, and brutally killing everything with a giant axe. The talent trees are not that great they lack customization and kind of make you character all over the place with different skills, I would have loved to be a fire Mage for instants (No fireball spell? Really!?). That doesn't mean the skills were not cool, they felt awesome to use even if some were useless. The story is really nothing to look forward to, some plot points will really piss you off , and some would just be 'meh" nothing epic when it should have been. I got 1 character to Hell mode then stopped there feeling Diablo'ed out and haven't really touched it since, but i know I will play it again eventually. The game was fun when it lasted, and I don't regret having it in my collection. Expand
  61. Aug 12, 2012
    Very good game.Nice graphics,true hack and slash game,great soundtrack.
    The always online thing didnt bothered me,except just one disconnect.
    Real money auction house is a great iea to deal with gold selling sites.
  62. Aug 13, 2012
    At first, i was like most of the people writing these reviews "OMG diablo is so boring"
    "OMG it requires no skill"
    "OMG its just click at the baddies AND its boring AND it requires no skill"
    yeah, ill say thats true until around hell, without a proper strategy for your class and with a lack of skill, you're going to get 2 shotted by the zombies in act 1 and dont even get me started on
    the rare mobs. My experience with user reviews is that they base it off impressions OR they have a friend carry them through the game so they don't actually experience it.
    SO.. my point here is, it's a GREAT game but really only if you want to drop some effort into it.
    For the future players, don't buy it if you don't want to sink time into it, if you want a quick game with no effort/time required, go play CoD.
    For the future reviewers, PLEASE don't write your review until you have leveled more than 3 characters (different classes please) to 60 and beat the game on all of those on all the difficulties, otherwise you're just going to get the "blizzard trap" where they make the game ridiculously easy until late-game.
    Have fun, and go try to beat hell azmodan, peace.
  63. Aug 14, 2012
    A lot of the reported issues with this game really don't matter much until you hit Inferno mode. For those that don't own the game and don't know, Inferno mode is the fourth time playing through the campaign with the same character, and it is harder because you cap at level 60 and can't out-level the mobs to beat them if the game has been giving you crappy loot. To some, the game isn't "beaten" until you finish Inferno, and I can understand the frustration they are facing.

That said, any game that I enjoyed for 100+ hours is definitely worth the money, and I can say that about Diablo 3. Maybe $60 is a tad high, but IMHO the quality and polish of this game is worth at least $50.
  64. Aug 16, 2012
    Dont let the fanboys fool you this is a great game although it does have its issues when it comes to endgame players, but you will have plenty of fun until then
  65. Aug 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is an bizarre experiment. I feel like I should learn financial maths and use a spreadsheet to manage it. But then you have the unpredicted drop or deal that changes everything. What do you remember from the two first opus? Addiction? Well it's still there. But the "buzz" is more volatile. The main fun thing for me is still the rune system which allows a lot of cool combinations. Some aren't just useful in inferno because you'll get your ass kicked, but in hell, yes, you can evolve your character in very distinct ways. A very very good value for me, and I don't have to divide 60$ by x hours played for that. Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2012
    Diablo III is ultimately a good game. The problem is, a large proportion of fans were expecting a stellar, mind-blowingly amazing game. And on that front it's a disappointment, therein lies the mixed opinion coupled with a healthy dose of "I don't like things that are different" and "I can't play because of obnoxious DRM".

There's only one major failing of the game that Diablo III is
    worthy of the harshest criticism for; the story. You'll be hard pressed to find a more generic, cheesy, poorly paced and bafflingly structured storyline within a game. Almost every trope of storytelling you can imagine is used inappropriately within the central narrative, from arrested character development to cringe-inducingly inept villains. There's a lot wrong with the story here, so if you're looking for something that tugs at your heart strings and makes you feel feelings, look elsewhere.

That being said however, the gameplay of Diablo III is polished to a very high standard. While earlier difficulties are a relatively standard hack-and-slash experience, more complex and challenging combat begins to add layer upon layer of depth to the gameplay as you go on. Character builds, itemisation and tactics all begin to play a critical role, and alongside standard progression you have a nicely involved sideline of loot-grinding.
    Gameplay is involved and visceral, and randomly generated dungeons (though sadly randomisation is minimal in most overworld areas) keep things fresh for at least a few playthroughs.
    Visually, Diablo III boasts low polygon counts, but a richness and attention to detail that makes every setting wonderful to look at.

Ultimately this third instalment in the Diablo franchise doesn't live up to hype, but that's probably the only major crime it commits. If you can handle the always-online requirement and the fact that this game isn't going to be winning any awards for originality or innovation, there's a lot to be enjoyed here. The developers at Blizzard have never been revolutionary artistes or champions of consumer good will, but what they *are* is incredibly effective at making video games that do exactly what they say on the tin.

Diablo III is everything you'll want out of a hack-and-slash, and nothing more. There's enough gameplay in there for you to get more than your money's worth even for the casual player. For the enthusiast, you're likely to sink a hundred hours into this one easily.
  67. Aug 25, 2012
    To be honest I can't understand why the user ratings are so bad. What did you people expect? I bought the game knowing what I was getting into. Yes this is just a repetitive hack and slash. Yes the main point of the game is to just kill stuff and loot items. No depth really. And you know what? It is fun and addictive. It does get boring sooner or later, but what doesn't?

I've played
    about 100 hours and I'm quite happy that I bought this game. I've had a fair share of fun. Also I expect to come back from time to time, just to have some hack' n slash fun with my friends.

What makes me wonder the most is why does Diablo II have a much higher rating? D3 is really the same game as D2, just newer. It has new graphics and content, but all the main features, weaknesses and strengths did not change at all.
  68. Sep 1, 2012
    I played Diablo 2 and much anticipated this game. I loved the single player element, the visual effects and story cinematic's were something magnificent that I will never forget. As a fan I enjoyed this game however I felt it was too short amongst other things which have ultimately left it on the shelf gathering dust whilst Diablo 2 was still being played at this point. In my opinion the fundamental downfall of Diablo 3 was that the developers didn't take enough of the right risks. If there was a focus on more features rather than the testing aspect I would probably be looking forward to logging in tonight. Final word: Fantastic artistic and entertaining game lies within this, its too short and very few will remain to play on, the real money auction house is a bad idea and the normal auction house has the same pitfalls it did in Diablo 2 but its worth the time and money for a short lived cinematic experience to the extent of buying avatar on DVD however very few will remain interested in this dust gatherer. Expand
  69. Sep 5, 2012
    What's good about it:
    -solid game in the traditional isometric-view rpg style PC sense (if you like torchlight, dungeon siege series, fate, or titan quest, then this is the game for you. you can't go wrong with that if you are a fan of those series)

What's bad about it:
    -real money auction house (it's quite obvious Blizzard wants to make tons and tons of money off it, as if the
    initial game sales are not enough to please their greedy corporation!)
    -unfinished. even at the time of this writing (3 months after game is deployed), a lot of aspects of the game continues to be changed. it is likely the game will be better over time with the changes, but as of this moment, i feel a lot of the aspects in the game is not finished, like i'm still playing some kind of beta.
  70. Sep 10, 2012
    The game looks great, I love the dark spooky vibe it gives off. The environments are amazing and the game has a truly remarkable story. My first play-through I was excited to see the story unfold, it truly had me captivated. The world is large enough to take you a few hours to see everything. Except the content is much more linear than the previous games in the Diablo series. Once you beat the game on normal you soon realize how repetitive it will become. Unfortunately end-game is a HUGE grind for gear / gold and paragon levels. I would have to say it's a great game when compared to the competition out there, but I hate the way blizzard is taking their games, especially with the online-only DRM system they have adopted. Expand
  71. Sep 22, 2012
    Why does Metacritic have a 10-point system. A simple "Did You Like It? Yes or No?" would suffice. The user-reviews in here are so rediculous it makes me smile. There is absolutely no way in hell this game is worth 0 (zero) points. But that is what everybody gives it when they have one or two gripes with it. I liked the game a lot btw, and had my fun throughout. I got an extremely polished game with a great single-player experience, and even better with friends. I dont play it anymore, because I got tired of it. I will however play the expansions to come.

If this score-system had any real thought behind it, I would have rated Diablo 3 av clean 8/10. But since everything said on here is angry kids with problems with their internet connections, I'll give it a 10 to compensate.

0 points? Are you people kidding me?
  72. Sep 23, 2012
    I think its time for a new 'critic' website. I think people should have to give specific reasons why they gave a '0', because when they don't, it lets them get away with 'zero' scores. There is no way, you can assign a 'zero' score, to every component of Diablo 3. To try to do so, shows the level of idiocy and immaturty and lies that those assign 'zero' scores possess. It's utterly laughable, to suggest that a game of the depth and visual splendor that Diablo 3, deserves a 'zero' score. We all know that metacritic allows you to RIG the system, by now forcing people to 'explain' their scores. If someone doesn't explain their score, we should be allowed to force their score off the system, and without that option, this system is just simply rigged, and metacritic should be ashamed of themselves for offering such a pety, chlidish rating system and user ratings offering. Places like Gamespot, which I dont agree on all things with ( where is that even possible) has a decent system at least, as other similar sites do, where they MUST explain their scores for each component, or obviously be seen as INCOMPETENT and just lying. That is the problem with metacrtiic, and I refuse to come here anymore and see a rigged system in place, allowing people to post riciculously low scores. It doesn't hurt the game in the SLIGHTEST, and all it really does is show the hateful, childish immature remarks by some 'teenies' on here. It's that obvious LOL. Expand
  73. Sep 23, 2012
    When you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is the ruined gloomy/gothic atmosphere of the previous games. It just looks like you're playing Torchlight, but, to be honest, Torchlight was more addictive. Everything is so bright and cartooney, sometimes you can't even see your character. About the monsters design - I liked it. But the Diablo with **** was not so cool. Playing together with someone makes the game more fun and if I tried to walk it through by my own the user Score would be lower for sure. Summing up I'll say that this is an average game, not bad, not good, but still a lot of people will be playing it just because it's Diablo III. Expand
  74. Sep 23, 2012
    The game tries a lot of new ideas not seen in its previous game. The rune system is unique and is a great replacement for synergies. However, build diversity is quite low unfortunately with only a few viable builds in the Inferno endgame. Itemization differs player to player. Its a lot more luck based then aiming for that Runeword combo or unique, making it a good experience when you find that item with the right combo of stats, but a terrible experience if you arent. Big improvement on boss fights. Constant connection is good or bad depending on where you live. If you are looking for a little flavour in your ARPGs but nothing revolutionary, this game has got it. Expand
  75. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly, very beautiful, but there is no trace of the old dark pathos, the skirmishes most of the times are an incredible mass where the player can't understand what is going on and has just to click the mouse, like maybe the Diablo II Lord Of Destruction MOD called Median XL; other features are very similar to this mod, they have probably played it during the development, which took too many years for the final result. Few weeks after relase they found bugs to be corrected, gameplay things to be modified, immortality bugs to be removed; it wasn't a good product, but with the latest patches is more enjoyable. I bought it the day of the relase, with many friends, none of us is still playing it, because it quickly gets boring; we started Diablo II again in LAN, we enjoyed it much more probably. Expand
  76. Oct 7, 2012
    This game is actually really a lot of fun. I have enjoyed it just as much or more than my experiences with DI and DII. I look forward to the new patches blizzard has planned and will play this game well into the future. Give this game a chance. Create your own experience and then develop your own opinion on it. I actually think having it as an online game is helpful because I can then store my character on a server and not have to worry about losing it with a computer failure. Expand
  77. Nov 9, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive! It supplies all the needs a game junkie requires. The auction house adds the dimension of choice. The levels add an ongoing need to keep playing the same script over and over again. The multi-player aspect makes it fun, fast paced and leveling up seems to quicker. Over-all, I love this game as well as diablo 2.
  78. Dec 2, 2012
    Game is getting better with every patch and it is good if you just expected what is is: jump in, kill some stuff and relax. Good enough for me but I would expect something more from Blizzard.
  79. Dec 15, 2012
    A lot of people says the game sucks. Well, it doesn't, it is just not the best game ever made. Although the gameplay is fun and the graphics are good, the story is boring and predictable. The game repeats itself from time to time and the lack of PvP is disturbing, but no that much.
    The loot system is fantastic and the voice acting is solid.
    The game is good but it is not Diablo 1 or
    Diablo 2 in ANY way. worth the money if you are not a Diablo fan Expand
  80. Zyp
    Feb 25, 2013
    This game had a rough start, no one can deny. Nearly 2000 of the negative reviews you see are from the first two frustrating weeks.

It's gotten better in nearly every regard since then, and Blizzard is dedicated still to improving. After the patches released I would say that well over half of the negative reviews Diablo 3 has received here are no longer relevant. It is a great game and
    deserving of a far higher score than what is reflected here. Expand
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    I took a break from the game for 5 or 6 months after release. At that point, several features had been added which made the game very enjoyable to play. I've probably spent 500+ hours playing different classes, and the game seems fairly balanced. I like that Blizzard still takes the time to add features, and hopefully a DLC in the pipeline.
  82. Apr 1, 2013
    Blizzard's really doing a great job in the game, as well as improving it.
    My friends and I still play this game on a very regular basis, and we'll say it's pretty awesome.
    Kudos to Blizzard.
  83. Apr 4, 2013
    I waited for over seven years for this after playing Diablo 2, I had so high expectations for this but it didn't live up to it. The level up system and the atmosphere wasn't the same and it lacks replayability and the worst was the launch and the "must have internet connection" problem. But it still manages to be a good game.
  84. Apr 23, 2013
    It's probably been said in the hundreds of reviews this is not a Diablo game. In fact, if it was not named "Diablo", this would make a great 10 buck arcade game. If that was the case, I would give it a direct 5 star rating. But now I'm grading this game according to the expectations that it set and how it compares to its great predecessor. Lets see the pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Beautiful
    animations and effects
    - Fantastic sound (with the right headphones it is truly a blast)
    - Improved inventory management and storage
    - Auction house makes it easier to trade....you don't need to stay in a "trade" game for hours to sell/buy stuff

Cons:
    - Visuals do not match the Diablo universe it too colorful and childish, nothing like the dark tones in Diablo 1 and 2
    - Being able to change skills on the fly, and no attributes distribution, is interesting but it feels like you don't invest anything in your character (aka very limited personalization). I would rather prefer a skill tree system like in Diablo 2, but with the option to reset your skills for a small cost.
    - Itemization, which was the core of the previous games, is simply WRONG! Finding a really good item, worth keeping or selling is very hard, the legendary items are 95% of the time rubbish, the scaling is ridiculous there is nothing worth keeping for more than few levels, because at level 60 even the blue items are far superior to the level 55 legendaries.
    - Real money auctions make the game P2W (pay to win)
    - The crafting system is bad the randomization of the stats and the high crafting costs, means that you end up spending a lot more money to craft something useful, than by buying it from AH
    - There are no rune words, imbuing, socketing, jewels, horadric crafting, etc.....
    - The story is simple and anti-climatic and characters are dull and annoying. The mercs are totally useless on the high levels
    - Last but not least, the constant online requirement is frustrating...

So if you are wondering whether to buy this or not......if you are not a diablo hardcore fan keep wondering until the price drops to 10 pounds, at the current price it is not worth it. If you are a fan, better wait for Torchlight 2.
  85. May 22, 2013
    when the game came out is was lashed at by the millions who bought it due to being quite literally unplayable, and when it is playable it was barely even recognised as the game us fans loved, the combat and levelling up was streamlined the levels where more linear and builds where focused around items more so, although the RMAH was a bad idea without it the game would be much harder to play but other then the initial problems the game is fun.
    combat is fluid and polished
    killing is fun as ****
    looting is as fun as ever
    if you can get past the initial flaws you will like this game.
  86. Jun 9, 2013
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    diablo 3 is a pretty solid action game (not arpg) and is enjoyable until a certain point, but it suffer from major design flaws.
    resistance and armor are the same thing, the damage of EVERY skills (physical attack, spell, minion) is based on the main hand weapon dps, if you want to upgrade you gear (after a certain
    amount of time) you can rely solely on the auction house.
    i would not recommend anyone from buying it, and the reason i give it a 6, is because the gameplay (smashing monsters face) is very good, indeed the only thing that's good about it.
    if i have to describe diablo 3 in one word, it will be: casualfest.
  87. Jul 16, 2013
    Diablo 3 is quite excellent hack & slash game, with plenty of loot and battle. Unfortunately the game is fun only the first or the second time, because it changes from exciting story and fun exploration into dull and boring grinding of your characters. There is no raids as in wow, so a max level character is nice to have but utterly useless. With group this game fun and you want to play it again at least one more time, but alone you just wanna get to the end, and repeatibility doesn't seems like an exciting idea. Expand
  88. Aug 4, 2013
    to be fair, D3 have great cinematic and great story, kudos for those who did this in Blizz D3 dev team. But I must highlight that the game-play for D3 is just not fun, i mean like seriously NOT FUN AT ALL. Act 1 is great but until half way in act 2, i had this feeling like the game is not complete or something, something is really missing in this game. Still finish the whole game for nostalgic sake. Stopped after a month the game release cuz its like too boring to continue. Re-install D3 few week ago after one+ year, read some comment here in meta that some improvement was done after all the patches so i was like ok lets give it a 2nd try but i was so wrong. Yes stuff at AH is cheaper and can get good equipment at a lower price, but uninstall it again after half day of playing cuz the game is just too boring and repetitive. Conclusion? Worst money I spend on a game and I regret buying this game. Lesson learned the hard way and will never buy a game pro-order, only purchase after reviewing actual user reviews. Expand
  89. Aug 6, 2013
    Nice compaign for old diablo-gamer, but.. well... Too simplistic and fast gameplay, too many connections with battlenet. Looking forward for the addon. Hope it will make the game much better than it is now.
  90. Aug 6, 2013
    yes, sure a bunch of negatives are from the day 1 release issues, but compared to diablo 2, the immersion and spooky elements like fighting the A2 boss are gone. The fckd up the loot, when you find a yellow the first time it's a good feeling, soon you will begin to realize the only times you get good feelings will be when legendaries drop. Thats really all you count on, any other colored items are most likely vendor cash, please don't support Diablo 3, the only reason why it sold so many copies is because it's Blizzard Ent. if anybody else released this same game it wouldn't have sold as much. The title sold, not the game. Game is garbage Expand
  91. Aug 21, 2013
    I'll cut this real short and simple:

-Always online DRM. Hosting own game in D2 worked just fine. No reason for this garbage except No single player mode incredibly insulting. Screams of greed.

-Real Money Auction House: You may have thought you didn't need to use the AH if you didn't want. You were wrong as gear drop rates are so low it has been clearly designed to force you to
    spend money on top of the $60 full price you spent on the game itself.

-Storyline absolutely abysmal. I thoroughly enjoyed the Medieval Gothic themes of D1 & D2. Here we have bright colors, non-dark environments and no gothic art style to be found anywhere. Instead we get Starcraft Protoss heaven. Literally everything about the storyline was terrible to me. Tyreal going from this mysterious, cool sounding rebel archangel to a random black guy. Deckard Cain killed for literally no reason. Diablo and all other major act bosses are simply generic villain clones that look like something out of WoW raid dungeons. Game forces you on rails through each quest in order so no skipping quests once you've already beaten the game.

-5+ years on development would have given sufficient time for a good team of industry veterans to create a deep, huge game world with interesting mechanics and things to do. Instead you can beat the game in less than 12 hours.

-No skill/talent trees from D2. Can't make interesting builds. Instead you have a limited skill pool to choose from, which is easier for casuals to understand but don't as much customization as D2 skills tree did.

-Server and lag issues that exist solely because of always online DRM. Hardcore players regularly killed because of lag and coding.

Perhaps one of the most sad aspects of this whole experience is there are still legions of die hard, fanboy zealots that absolutely adore being spoonfed this kind of extreme From a gameplay perspective and a business perspective D3 is absolutely a ripoff when one has at least a tad of experience under their belt. Do you think other companies could get away with this Imagine all car companies required their cars to be logged in & connected to wi-fi internet in order to work in order to stop automobile thefts. Do you think that kind of business model would work? No. People would be outraged and actually spam them with letters telling them just where they can shove it.

In the game industry however, I'd wager to say most gamers are between ages 12-28 and as such these people are less likely to have experience in business, thus the industry can still make a profit ripping people off. They get away with it because young people in that age group usually don't care or lack the knowledge to make informed decisions. When you buy Diablo 3, you are literally using your wallet to tell Blizzard to make more games like this. Companies will always trail what was successful in the past. Every gamer should NEVER pre-order a video game and instead read many reviews and watch many raw gameplay footage of said game after release before deciding to buy.

Thus sadly, Diablo 3 style games will continue to be pumped out by blizzard such as their "Reaper of Souls" expansion pack. Diablo 3 no doubt was commercially successful despite it clearly being an inferior experience to its predecessors that are a decade old. The people to blame for this mess are the gamers who wasted their money on this and encouraged this rotten business behaviour.

I should know, I was regretfully one of them.
    Never again however. I haven't touched Heart of the Swarm and never will. However the cinematics quality was high, but the way the story played out was laughable.
  92. Sep 6, 2013
    Overall good game, its a sequel though. Kept the feel of the older Diablos but you can use four abilities at once (using hotkeys) rather then 1. The fact that this game has a 3.8 user score means that people dont know what they are talking about and need to get a clue... games not perfect but over all good.
  93. Oct 15, 2013
    3.8 out of 10? Honestly? One of the most known games around the world? I mean really what the hell is wrong with you people? The game didn't meet your expectations? Well hell yeah, the devs can't know what each and single person would want to see in the game, the worst part is... i see no reason for such a score, just a bunch of mad little haters... The game gets boring after about 2-3 months of lvling/grinding BUT those 2-3 months are well worth it, the graphics are simply great, mechanics, animations, voices... all of those are topnotch even the story isnt all that bad, hell i would buy this game for the cinematics alone... i mean NO MATTER HOW MUCH DISAPPOINTED YOU ARE this game doesn't deserve 0/10 or are you telling me there is at least 1 person that thinks the graphics are bad? Give me a break. If you rate rate reasonably... taking in consideration ALL of its flaws AND beauties. Expand
  94. Nov 6, 2013
    All of the negative feedback for this game is a joke. I am an oldschool diablo 2 player and seriously diablo 3 just makes it that much more enjoyable.

Sure there are a few bugs sometimes, yet I am now on level 43 nightmare absolutely loving the online play in this game. It also go great guns single player.

Hurray blizzard.
  95. Dec 11, 2013
    First impression is good, altough dumbed down compared to part 2. graphics and sound are good, but then you start to notice there are very few good item drops, and they all boil down to the same. one good build per class which is afwul, and after a while very repetetive with no incentive to continue after you hit level 60. Drops are afwul, 4 times the same legendary crap item after a week of playing? come on!! Expand
  96. Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, this is how i feel about this game after reading the reviews, then got the game because i want to play it anyways. "Derrrrrrhh derrh derrrpp derpp hurrrpp..hulp..durhur."
  97. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a 4, the reason people are rating it a 1 is because it is the sequel to Diablo 2. It basically took everything that was awesome from the genre and that game and stripped it down to a crappy, boring experience. I did not enjoy any of the time I spent playing this game.
  98. Feb 18, 2014
    Gameplay is fun but..... the story is awful, the art/feel of the game is terrible, and required internet is garbage. Will never back Blizzard on another one of their games ever again. After seeing Reaper of Souls beta being streamed -- sucks to be anyone buying that load of crap. Maybe you guys will enjoy your trip through a well-lit and cartoony fairy tale with units/lands pasted from D2 and the same lame class coming back into play.

Out of 8778 reviews, having a 3.9 score is pretty terrible. There have been 86 critic reviews giving it an average of 88 which is even more of a joke.

Also: The months of creating PVP? What a joke.
  99. Mar 15, 2014
    First play through is pretty good, monsters are weak enough that lag from not being next to a server isn't much of an issue. Much past the first difficulty is impossible unless you are near a server (Single player included) Fun, but 0 replay value. Blizzard has hopped on the draconian DRM bandwagon with this one unfortunately, try Path of Exile or Torchlight 2.
  100. Apr 4, 2014
    Addictive, repetitive dungeon-crawler - ridiculously easy even on hard level for the first playthrough. Plenty of loot and a wide variety of locations, enemies and bosses to keep you pushing forward relentlessly. There's a familiar story of demons and angels, good vs evil, betrayal and bravery etc .. However there's not much else in terms of strategy or role-playing. This is a fast-paced action game that you literally play with one-hand on a mouse if you have some side-buttons for hot-actions. I think I had to press Q for a health potion about three or four times and that was it. Might consider the expansion and another playthrough or two in the future. By the way I had zero problems with the online connectivity requirement, so I don't know what people are moaning about. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012