3.9

1. May 15, 2012
    This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review, the game is that disappointing. The game is extremely short (no doubt for more $60 expansions), lacks LAN, lacks world PvP, has been extremely dumbed down and overly "streamlined" (attributes, skill, SEPARATE loot - lol wtf are you kidding me). Some people might find the changes appealing, but they have taken away everything I liked about the Diablo series.

I was slightly disappointed in Starcraft II. That should have been my first clue that Blizzard was no longer the company I had come to love. Diablo III is such a massive disappointment that I will never buy a Blizzard game again without serious research into the quality of the game.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Released a few months too early and its completely unplayable right now. I hope if you get this game you dont plan on playing online.
  3. May 15, 2012
    The gameplay hasn't changed too much since the old Diablo series. Unfortunately, since you constantly have to be connected to error prone Blizzard Server, the game is only playable for maybe an hour at a time when it's probably the most inconvenient. The first two Diablo games could be enjoyed by yourself or with friends via direct IP connection. This was in addition to the optional (at the time) battle.net matchmaking services. Essentially one of the four players could host a game and the other 3 could connect to that machine. With Diablo 3, you're at the mercy of Blizzard and their temperamental servers. Since the game launched at Midnite on May 14th, I haven't been able to play past 10th level.

From what I have played through, I wasn't very impressed. The game barely plays on the HD3000 intel chipset (which is most laptops). The story is weak at best. The abilities don't always feel like their hitting or damaging their targets. The constant server issues probably has me jaded. But what do you expect from a gamer who just wants to enjoy his 60 dollars on a sequel 10 years in the making? Sorry Blizz... this is probably the beginning of the end for you guys...
  4. May 15, 2012
    After a very, very, VERY bad launch (well done blizzard), the game was not physically accessible until 1 hour after the set launch time. Blizzard knew this amount of traffic was coming, due to their open beta. I managed to get in around 2 hours after the release time, managed to get a couple of hours in (Level 21 Wizard) then BAM servers crash out of the blue. Servers have been down for over an hour, and its only been the first day!

Another issue being absolutely no F***ing offline availability for a game we bought offline. You would get a lot less bad reviews if you let us play during downtime but no, you want us to write bad reviews instead

FU BLIZZ
  5. May 15, 2012
    The game in itself isn't bad, but Blizzard is clearly using this as a quick cash grab, a game that hardly feels like it's predecessors, and taking few steps backwards in terms of creativity and innovation. The lore has been butchered completely and most boss fights are people you have already fought previously in Diablo 1 and II (Skeleton King, Butcher, Izual, and of course Diablo who has the same exact skill set from D2 even though he has absorbed all the other prime evils). Incredibly lazy on Blizzard's part. Not to mention requiring an online connection for single-player and real money auction house. Expand
  6. May 15, 2012
    When I booted up this game I was expecting some awesome loot fest with my bros. I'm talking like better than searching the sorority houses on rush week for chicks with low self-esteem. Instead I got tons of DRM, no PvP, tons of server problems, and a game that broverall needed some extra fist-pounding in development. It's a brotastrophe.
  7. May 15, 2012
    I have to agree with 98% of the reviews. Blizzard crashed and burned hard. I'd hate to see an expansion pack for this game. Waste another $60 bucks, still cant play online, still cant play single player. I'd assume go back to Runescape than give this game any credit for being even the slightest bit better.
  8. May 15, 2012
    Unable to login to play the game. Online-only DRM. Real money auction house. Terrible technical issues, terrible customer service, extreme hype machine, no respect for their customers. Blocking twitter accounts that are critical of their incompetence, censoring / banning complaints on their forums, no sufficient response to legitimate complaints. ActiBlizzard jumped the shark mid-WoW and has only gotten worse. They have no respect for the people who pay their salaries and put food on their tables: their own paying customers. The company is greedy, technically semi-incompetent, and overly focuses on marketing hype and spin at the expense of sound design. They are all about maximizing profits at the expense of their integrity. A fundamental re-evaluation of their priorities and thorough cleaning of house is required. Expand
  9. May 15, 2012
    I wanted to love Diablo III. I'm writing this review based on my first day of playing the game. Ohh wait, I haven't been able to log in for more than 30 minutes at a time. There is no offline option. Given that Blizzard had 2,000,000 beta testers and managed 300,000 online simultaneously during the beta test they should have known the issues they would face at launch. They have a rough idea of their pre orders. Expand
  10. r_d
    May 15, 2012
    Always-online DRM is garbage.
    It adds no value to the game, and the botched launch clearly illustrates why we cannot trust it.

Demand offline/LAN play.
  11. May 15, 2012
    Why did I pre-order Diablo 3 if it is 24 hours post launch and Blizzard is still having connectivity issues? "Single player" mode lags in the rare occasion that I can actually play (usually the servers are down and overcrowded and I am prevented from logging on)

Character customization is illusory if not altogether gone, the game looks and feels like a console port, and the ambiance is
    boring. The graphics are pathetic, even Tropic III looks better than this. I gave it 2 stars for reminding me how awesome Diablo II was. Expand
  12. May 15, 2012
    It doesn't much matter what's in the game if the company requires a persistent internet connection to play it, and they can't manage to keep their servers up on launch day. I hope everyone at Blizzard is ashamed.
  13. May 15, 2012
    What is this game and why does it have the title 'Diablo III' on the cover? Can you make your "own" style character? No, apparently Mr. Wilson thinks its best if he chooses where all of our attribute points go. Cool skill trees? Nope, this poser game offers only 1/3 of the attacks per character. What about pvp that is usually the center point of online games? sorry true gamers, blizzard left that one out too. well can i still party up with my friends and play? well lets hope you only have 3 friends, because maximum capacity per game is a whopping 4 players! And the final kicker here is that its only available to play online.(which means you can play this game they call diablo 3 only when blizzard says so. Expand
  14. May 15, 2012
    The story and cinematics are great. Gameplay is fun for small sessions but after a while it becomes stale. Always online DRM is inexcusable and connectivity issues just make an appalling situation even worse. My advice: watch the cinematics on YouTube and give this $60 game a miss.
  15. May 15, 2012
    Bad bad servers. No such a good connection, failure on launch...lways online DRM, -Lack of skill diversity, -Connection errors, -Play to win, -Short story. This game is a step back from Diablo 2, so I recommend avoiding it.
  16. May 15, 2012
    You know, I hate to give this a 1/10... I LOVE Diablo 2, and the original Diablo.... But the sad fact is that this game is really fun.... when you can play it....Attempting to get onto a game that you bought when you first get home... and you cant.. is sad, but okay they want to open the server... even if i want to play single player, i have to wait on the server.
    Next I finally wait to
    get online, and cannot... for 2 hours... this even I expected, it was the giant DDOS attack from users spamming the "login" button.
    Sign on this morning, its what I hoped it would be, it has everything Diablo had, and is fun overall, the crafting system, loot, and everything has been improved.
    Next the servers go down after 2 hours of play.... okay fine they are fixing things... so for the next 5-6 hours I wait, and finally get back online, things are great again....
    Then again, server is offline after 2 hours of play.... Seriously? It is only the American server being affected by what they do.
    This is just beyond words. they need to enable us to play offline if we want for SINGLE PLAYER only if this is the way it will be. If we want to play online, then fine, let us have access to the online auction house only with those characters....
    Id say avoid buying this game for a couple weeks to a month until they fix the issues... but its just beyond words with frustration on everything we have to go through as PAYING CUSTOMERS....
  17. May 16, 2012
    This game sucks. Can't even play single player when the servers go down and they go down often. When they do come back there are rollbacks where ive lost several levels.
  18. May 16, 2012
    Legitimate complaint with game fundaments: We can agree that due to the decisions made about the attribute and skills system that all level 60 wizards that I make will have the same options available to them. Therefore, Why would I make more than one level 60 of each class? You wouldn't. So in Diablo 3 you will likely make 5 characters, which in extreme situations takes roughly 2 days per character to reach level 60. After two weeks of playing you could easily have a max leveled character of each class. Even the most casual gamer will be able to have a max leveled character of each class within a number of weeks. And as we previously discussed due to the "customization" allowed in Diablo 3 each of their characters will be relatively similar to yours in the since that they have all of the same skills readily available for selection. There is no need to recreate characters, no decisions you make in the game are committments, and I don't see where any level of replayability will come from.

Pretty game, great name, fundamental game flaws. 3/10
  19. May 16, 2012
    Well this game sure sucks. Had it been just a random game from an unknown developer I would not be this hard on it. In fact it would be somewhat respectable, but this is Diablo 3. Turns out it is a bastard mix between Diablo 2 and WOW, but without the parts that made the Diablo prequels great. Dumbed down, cartooned up and absolutely uninspiring to me. This is what I feared since the first images and info from this game emerged years ago. Blizzard was the gaming company I held above all other, now I just despise them. F U Blizzard! Expand
  20. May 16, 2012
    Any game that requires the player to have a broadband internet connection in his home just to play the single player campaign gets a big fat zero from me.
  21. May 16, 2012
    Pathetic. This shouldn't even be a game. The customization of online play that i loved in battle.net is missing in this game and the sad thing this game is 100% online. So you have bad match making and room creation with friends. Collecting loot is pointless just go for the high level items and gold drops anything else just ignore. Since all drops from mobs rarely go over 5 gold including semi rare stuff like gems sell for 3 gold. When a potion costs you 100+gold So you need to collect several inventories full just to buy 1 potion. Wasting about 5 potions doing so. The bosses feel unoriginal and less unique than older games and unique monsters feel less than thrilling to find. Shrines feel USELESS. The only thing going for this game is a beautiful art style. I liked the old story line in D2 where you unlocked a different story where you get to see what happened and how it happened. While in D3 the cut scenes are just cut scenes of the story you just went through almost like a recap. This is very much pay to win game who ever invests the most money will have the best gear and not really a game of skill.. Expand
  22. May 16, 2012
    I find that somehow game developers recently have lost sight of how to continue a successful franchise and it seems to be happening during the third iteration. Diablo 3 along with Fable 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 have taken what were excellent examples of adventure/action/rpg games and turned them into something else. I was honestly going to skip this game but my wife picked it up for me as a gift. After staring at the box for about half an hour I finally decided to install it. Upon installing the game I was greeted with a slew of errors while attempting to log in and finally gave up late in the evening on launch day. I went to bed feeling as though I should have went with my gut reaction and returned the game. I was especially annoyed at the utter lack of offline play modes. Regardless of Blizzard's reasoning behind this decision, it was a poor decision at best. This might seem like a viable idea, but I live in an area where broadband internet may or may not be available depending on where you live. Anyone who lives in a rural area, especially in mountainous areas will literally be unable to play. If I were to visit my relatives, I wouldn't be able to play due to the fact that they can really only get dial-up connections and even cell services are spotty.

The day after the theoretical launch day, I was finally able to play after work. I immediately felt underwhelmed by the graphics and feel of game play. The character movement and battle feels stiff and unexciting and the UI feels sub-optimal. I immediately noticed the lack of zoom capability with mouse wheel (admittedly nit-picky but this is really design heuristics 101), although there is a zoom button ('z') which zooms you all the way in or out. I haven't played it long enough to be certain, but it seems like a lot of the character customization appears to have been changed and or removed leaving the level profession feeling lackluster.

The lesson learned here is when dealing with sequels (or Blizzard) wait until the reviews come in or find a used copy in the bargain bin. Gameplay: mediocre
    Graphics: mediocre
    Online Requirement: dismal
  23. May 16, 2012
    very dissapointed blizzard. i was once a very loyal fan of you. but ever since starcraft 2 there has been a missing spark about your games. starcraft 2 had poor voice acting, poor story and the characters seem hollow and empty. diablo 3 on the otherhand felt more like a WoW title with the diablo 3 brand superglued to it. the lack of gothic feel, the cartoony character models, lack of stat point allocation and set unlocks of skills combined with the linear progression is highly dissapointing. i guess this is what you get when blizzard north go packing. Expand
  24. May 16, 2012
    Myself and my wife paid a total of $120 for this game and have been able to play once thus far for about 45min until they took the server down right before we got to the boss. Don't waste your $
  25. May 17, 2012
    Because I live and bought the game in Korea, I can't switch language and have to play in Korean. Awesome. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/when-diablo-iii-doesnt-speak-your-language/
  26. May 17, 2012
    in France can not play more than 5 min "error 3007"
    no comunication of Blissard it is a shame
    or the price you pay for the game they could make an effort and provide for more server
    there has been a beta for it
  27. May 17, 2012
    If you are a experienced gamer that loves RPGs, Stay away from this one. Blizzard use to be known for making games that were easy to learn but hard to master, sadly they gave up on the later. Character customization is pretty much out. Gone our questions like "Which type of Barbarian do I want to be"? Blizzard will tell you what you want - and how you want it. The menu of Characters themselves are a bit odd. Taking a page of the trolls of WoW, Diablo added a Caribbean Voodoo master to a western Gothic tale. It's does not sit well. The Graphics while being easy on the eye, are nothing to write home about. Had someone told me this was a game from 5 years ago, I would believe them. The writing is taken straight out of a Saturday morning cartoons. "Now all shall suffer", "This is true evil" and other under thought cliches will be waiting for you. This is a causal game under the guise of a AAA tittle for gamers. As a causal game, it is quite good. But those don't cost 60Euros. And yes, while you are playing nothing feels better than being told that your connection to the server has been lost. Expand
  28. May 17, 2012
    3.7 user score and 88 metascore just shows that there is indeed something wrong with this game. The fact that none of the big gaming sites and publications - GameSpot, IGN etc - have posted their reviews after three days is, at least, suspicious (maybe they just couldn't play enough since the servers are always down). The game not coming with PvP is another hint at how the quality of Blizzard games have started to wane. This game is not only a bad piece of entertainment, but a major sign that the beloved and reliable Blizzard is finally succumbing to greed and corporate antics. Expand
  29. May 17, 2012
    Viciously disappointed. The beauty and essence of the originals has been completely lost on these idiots. My god, do they not understand that the simple pleasure in playing the game was in the finding of that one item that would tilt the odds, the reaching of that one skill level that would give you the edge, and that the finding of the right combination of the two was in itself so satisfying that any shortfalls in other areas of the game were completely overlooked?
    There is no magic here. Just right click. No value in the item you find. No care for the skill level you might achieve. Just hack. and slash. and wonder how Blizzard lost it so badly.
  30. May 17, 2012
    Blizzard has had TWELVE YEARS to deliver a solid performance and failed. The first indication of failure is the setup/launcher failure to actually install the game! Seriously? You really screwed up the INSTALLER? Activision-Blizzard, if you are not embarrassed by this, you should be. Second, common sense dictates when you release a totally online game you make ABSOLUTELY sure your servers are ready! What? You only expected 150 people to actually buy the game? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL! Updated graphics and sound do not make this a worthwhile sequel, just pretty. As Tommy Boy said, Expand
  31. May 17, 2012
    This is the worst flop of the decade. DRM servers and no offline play. Hackers please fix this. And on top of all the BS their support will not even work or help you. They close out support tickets saying your problem is fixed without doing anything. They answer the phone while you have been waiting for 40mins on hold by picking up and hanging up on you. Anyone who preordered should get a refund now!! Expand
  32. May 17, 2012
    Simplified version of Diablo 2, everything we loved about the previous game is replaced with lowest common denominator crap. Awful WoW-style art style, and many of the moves are taken straight from previous Blizzard games. Story is very disappointing and the game is completely linear. There's no reason for anyone to play this when there are hundreds of better games you could be playing instead, and dozens of better hack and slash ARPGs. Blizzard employees should be ashamed that it took them this long to produce such a sub-par product. Expand
  33. May 17, 2012
    The need for a constant internet connection and the fact their servers CONTINUE to drop has just disgusted me.

Aside from that, no original content, zero character customization. Absolutely no replay value. If you haven't purchased this game yet, wait until it hits the value bin, you won't have to wait long
  34. May 17, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2, but this is just ridiculous. The game is a fine addition to the Diablo series, even though it is horribly dumbed down for the casual gamer masses. It's apparent that Blizzard doesn't care about their customers and are just another greedy corporation. The invasive DRM kills it for me. WHY THE HELL DO I NEED TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS FOR SINGLEPLAYER? So, if my internet dies, I can't play my game? Cool... I wish I could return it, this game really wasn't worth $60. Expand
  35. May 17, 2012
    I don't wanna sound like a rage nerd but i joined metacritic to make a statement. In Summary - a failed launch (previous sales of the game were known in preorders sales to other distributors how can you not have enough servers to support that!?) 80 minutes to log into servers wtf?

- dumbed down monkey play system (any fool knows this does not hold a candle to the re playability of d2
    everyone is the same with same skills just need to unlock the levels) you don't have to think about playing it again cause once your hero is maxed out they know everything!?

- pathetic server that constantly crashes (still getting 37 error 3006 error also being booted out and constant maintenence) I AM IN AUSTRALIA why am i in a US SERVER!?(no offense to those people) My ping is high i can't ENJOY THE GAME WHEN I DIE ON HARD CORE MODE CAUSE OF FREEZE FRAME LAG - stupid DRM when u play single player if you don't have a stable internet you know what guys? you can't play it... it will boot you and you lose your items great. you can't play it on the laptop and do some fun runs because you don't have internet. - pay to win(yes useless noblets will pay REAL CURRENCY to buy gold/items later on and own your face in PVP just because they have more money than you to spend to buy items they want. WTF is the point of being a peasant in a game are you serious who signs up to that?) - crappy graphics(torchlight looks better honestly nothing stands out plain bland graphics and just sad all round performance i have no idea why it needs a beefy comp to run those sorts of pathetic images)

- short gameplay (Koreans finished this game in 2-3 hours much replayability there? YES I KNOW WE ARE NOT KOREANS BUT it's short don't be expected to keep you entertained for long )

- Everything else is what it is a train wreck mediocre joke. i won't be supporting your stupid expansions and i don't think anyone should support their further expansions of diablo 3 I am not on the blizzard hate wagon i loved their titles (starcraft I and II, diablo 2, warcraft III FT I OWN ALL LEGIT) I once supported the company but on this occasion i cannot... it's not a matter of being spoilt it's a matter of principle that this is a joke and many people feel robbed for what they paid for a game that should not cost more than $5 AUD or $5 USD or $5 GBP. hang your heads in shame it might not affect you now as you are a multibillion dollar company but guess what lennon brothers died(who would have guessed!?). You used our hard earnt money to build your empire! If you hurt your loyal customers you will fall from grace, you are not the king of PC video games PC buyers can just choose to shun you out like they did to UBISOFT and you will become a thing of the past ... which is where this game belongs in the past!
  36. May 17, 2012
    A Ponzi scheme with absolutely nothing worth going for in return.
    Transform your e-penis complexes into amazing gear for real money: Diablo III is here!
  37. May 17, 2012
    This game is ruined for me because of the internet connectivity. I don't have anything new to say. I just wanted to give another 0 to help bring down the average. Fck you blizzard i will never purchase another one of your games.
  38. May 17, 2012
    So, after finally getting through the multitude of errors stopping me from playing the game i payed for, the games a dud. It doesn't feel like diablo. I loved, and still love d2, so much i beat nightmare on hardcore. But you have no customization. Every other witch doctor has more or less the same skills as you, your choices simply do not matter.

Oh and heres a bit of news that will
    probably piss some people off. The always on DRM failed. So while i am unable to play the game due to internet outage, or "Scheduled downtime" The people who stole the game are playing singleplayer without blizzard hovering over their shoulder. First you try to rip me off selling me 3 copies of SC2, and now this? Whatever blizzard, you've lost a customer. Expand
  39. May 17, 2012
    Since the time from when Diablo 3 was announced to the days before its release, my confidence in Blizzard has been severely shaken with some of the dissappointing games sequels they have released. And now, it seems that Diablo 3 is the game that broke the camels back. The respect I had for Blizzard being a revolutionary and innovative game publisher is all but lost. After paying the hefty $60 price, I am unable to play the game, not because of my computer specs, but the fact that the game has to be connected to the internet to play both multi and single player. I was aware of this fact when purchasing, however because Blizzard's server isn't even working properly, I might as well hang the diablo 3 DVD from my clothes line outside to keep the birds away; this way the DVD would actually be useful. In any other situation, if a company sells a product (or as Blizzard would like to call it, a service) in mass numbers that doesn't work, it would be refunded or recalled. This game is a perfect example of how corrupt the pc game industry has become, and how somehow it is the consumers who are out of line, because they are complaining about buying a $60 paperweight. Shame on Blizzard. By trying to discourage piracy with their always on single player connection, they only alienate the legitimate consumers who pay for their products. Moving past all of this, when actually able to play, the actual game itself is nothing new, rather an oversimplification of the former Diablo games. Attribute points are gone, character customization is limited to male or female, there is no options to choose skills (most of which are very unoriginal). In addition, the dark, moody graphics that helped define the Diablo series have been throw out for cartoony, WOW rip off graphics. To make things even worse, Diablo 3 has implemented real money, pay-to-win auction houses, allowing players to simply pay cash to create a strong player, rather than through their accomplishments in the game. To add insult to injury, players who use this feature will be helping to fatten Blizzard's wallet with every transaction, as Blizzard will be taking a 15% cut of all transactions, in additional to a $1 fee for every real money transaction. I am disgusted with Blizzard. 9 nine years in development and all we get is a money-making scheme disguised as the revolutionary Diablo 3 game that loyal fans to the series have eagerly been waiting for, taking advantage of their loyal consumer base. In closing, if there was one word to personify what I see Blizzard as after all this, it would have to be.. diablo. Expand
  40. May 17, 2012
    I'll keep it short and simple. There is no way for people to really express discontent with the gaming industry as a whole. If we don't buy the games people say we shouldn't have a voice, but if we buy the games we only support what we don't agree with.

I fall into the first category. I was very interested in buying Diablo 3 having played both 1 and 2 numerous times over. However, as a
    single player type gamer, and a person that doesn't have the best internet connection or desire to socialize I find it disheartening that few companies allow me to play games on my terms. Diablo 3 is just the next installment of software hating customers like me.

Always online DRM is something I'm just not going to support. A grind game where users can pay to advance faster. Both things I just can't and won't support. I still haven't bought Diablo 3. And unfortunately I never will. Bye Blizzard. You now are a member of the ranks of EA, Activision (yes I already knew you were part of them) and Ubisoft. Take your games and go screw yourself with them.

I'm buying and playing Torchlight 2 and other games developed for me as a consumer.
  41. May 17, 2012
    Coming from a die hard Diablo 2 fan, this is the worst excuse for a Diablo game that could have been created. I was expecting graphics similar to or atleast reminiscent of any of the Diablo games, but no it isn't. It's a watered down cartoonish shadow of Diablo that I may have enjoyed when I was 10 years old and that's if I had never played a Diablo game before. They took out everything I loved. I.E The skills you had to EARN, the character diversity, the amazing dialogue and the bloody graphics almost rusty style of graphics that I personally loved. This is a HORRIBLE EXCUSE OF A GAME. DO NOT BUY IT. Expand
  42. May 17, 2012
    I am disgusted by grubs that took a winning model (hello, Diablo II is STILL selling well in stores, grubs!) and clamped something down on it so I CAN'T EVEN PLAY SINGLE PLAYER ON A GAME I JUST BOUGHT. Never again. Do you understand me? No Starscraft, no Diablo, no WOW, nothing. I wash my hands of you.
  43. May 17, 2012
    The service is very **** at Asia.
    When I got the game. I have never connect to battle net steady.
    I think Blizzard do a wrong thing. It estimate fail at Asia.
  44. May 17, 2012
    Even more repetitive than the others with the REALLY ANNOYING DRM... Disappointing... At least the others were somehow more captivating than this one...
  45. May 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a rehash of Diablo 2 game mechanics wise, all that has changed is the progression has been simplified for people and the art style has changed towards WoW. There has been no innovation, even after a decade. Diablo 2 had it's flaws, absolutely none were fixed and although very few, more were introduced.
    This game is as shallow as they come. The only thing it does well is give
    you a great sense of progression, blizzard has captured how to do this exceptionally, and I hate to put it like this, but essentially the game provides fake fun On top of this, they promised the new way of progression would leave us with all kinds of builds and unique ways to end up. This is not true, all people have been building the same as they level up, then when it gets to 30-60 you have only 2-3 builds to choose from per character (unless you want to choose something... thats obvious nonsense....)
    This game is worth $60 if money is literally dirt to you.

[Server lag and AFK timeouts in my single player experience]
  46. May 18, 2012
    First of all know that you are responsible for what blizzard has become. You fed and praised blizzard by sticking and protecting WoW and its expansions so much so you would never see the truth about blizzard. Its all about milking (like EA). Did you really expect a 2d overhead perspective game to be something new? It could only have better graphics than diablo 2 and simplified game mechanics. Add to this the damned "Always online" new fashion and you 've got a shinny piece of **** by Blizzard. You people better start giving credit to other developers and stop being fanboys. Expand
  47. May 18, 2012
    By far the largest joke in gaming history. This company only cares about profit, to the point they will force you to play this game *online* when it's a single player game... Why does this matter soo much? Because their whole reason for forcing online play is their "Real Money Auction House" which they have taxed 3-ways!!! Thats right, you might be able to sell something online, via their system, but Blizzard will make a huge profit off each sell.

To make matters worse, they REFUSE to support any sort of competitive PvP system, meaning NO LADDER, NO TOURNAMENTS, NO RANKINGS, NO PvP AT RELEASE!!!

I give this game a 1 out of 10!
  48. May 18, 2012
    Wife and husband play together: Other remarks: 1. No real character customization. She kind of wondered why we had to put points into our chars when really there was no place to put them but what the game chose for us. This was weird. It didn't really seem like you were creating "your" character but creating one already chosen for you. This was a real downer. 1b. Skill switcher - Sorry this didn't fly well either. We have to open up a window to switch skills and select a new one. We don't have a box where we could put them on hot keys. "Why can't I just put my skills in some bar" she said.

2. Difficulty - As mentioned before the game is very easy. I can't believe how simple it is to move around and kill mobs. I clearly remember d2 being harder with more monsters and harder "in ground" dungeons. I told my wife that she would have to beat the game in order to make it more difficult , and then "replay" the whole content again. She kind of laughed at that and said "no thanks." ie replaying the content to get a better challenge for her didn' really go over well.
  49. May 18, 2012
    My opinion is based solely on the single-player experience, nostalgia and the expectations I had based on what Blizzard have released prior to this game.

The single-player campaign is very unimpressive and the audio logs (journals) that are meant to flesh out the world are more often than not of rather poor quality. The removal of attribute and skill points makes leveling up a trivial
    and uninteresting event, and it is nothing short of a tragedy for all those who played the two first Diablo games.

I experienced several times (roughly 27 times in a single playthrough) where the game would hang and all combat and actions were "stuck" and after a second or two the game would resume, causing monsters to teleport around based on where they would have gone during the hang. Having this happen on a T1 internet connection in a single-player game is beyond unacceptable.

It was Blizzard themselves who set a new standard of what we could expect from a single-player experience when they released StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty.

Whether or not they release new content, events and modes is entirely unimportant as the only thing that matters is what I think of the game after having played through it... and I am not impressed if this is the quality we can expect from future Blizzard games.
  50. May 18, 2012
    Fanboys, you do not simply rate "playing" with the product, you rate the whole product!

As a product, Diablo 3 is a letdown in multiple ways. These include:
    1) Buggy installations - numerous errors such as "Incorrect Installation Options Selected" when no such thing happened, and install crashes or freezes at 1%/5%/etc. 2) Lacking infrastructure to actually facilitate gameplay on opening
    day. Do you know how many "Diablo 3 Opening" parties were a let down? What exactly is the point of a "midnight opening" to be among the first to get the game, when you cant actually play it? And all in the name of anti-piracy when in fact the game has already been cracked (less than 48 hours later) and pirated "offline" versions are available through "other channels"!
    3) Laggy solo play - high ping times persisting days after launch, and many people just living far away from servers (i.e. outside of the US and Europe) is an aweful experience
    4) Ridiculous, opportunistic, and greedy price tag - it is no way worth what its being sold for, and this company simply took advantage of its fans. Smart fans will realise this, and they wont appreciate it. Then the actual game:
    1 point for nice music. That is all. 1) Graphics - the game reminds me of Monkey Island by Lucasarts. Its so cartoony and does its best to not fit in with the atmosphere that its trying to creat by the story and the videos - there is a huge disconnect here
    2) Difficulty - its retard-friendly. Normal difficulty is a joke.
    3) Interface - minimal character customisation. Things just unlock. Minimal thinking required. 4) Random Map Resets every day? omg
    5) Voice Acting - lol - another joke
    6) Real Money Auction House - profiteering and legalised 'cheating'. Performance can now be based less on effort and more on your credit card....
    7) PVP - not released with the release :P lol again!

This game is a fail. Diablo 2 is superior from an "atmosphere" perspective. Its superior from the perspective of "actually being able to play" too! Some might argue that Diablo 3 is its own game, and thats fine. However its a game that came with alot of expectation strapped to it, and has overall not lived up to the hype....it hasnt even come close to be honest. For a game that has been in development for so long, by such a big developer, you would be forgiven for thinking that maybe some fans had gotten tired of waiting and strung what we have here together themselves in their spare time. You definitely dont expect this kind of release from the mighty Blizzard! The company that only has 3 well-recognised brands, because all of them have (until now) been totally epic! Well folks, it looks like the beginning of the end for Blizzard is here. Very, very, dissapointed. Have actively persuaded people to spend their money in better ways.
  51. May 18, 2012
    Everyone should avoid this monstrosity at all costs. You have been warned. Blizzard should not be allowed to profit on this nonsense. Just because of the name, they figure they can half ass this and still make money. Guys, we should boycott this.
  52. May 18, 2012
    D3 has reduced the series to something else, its not the game it should be. Its overly simplified to the point where you could most likely teach a chimpanzee to play it. On the opening day, its riddled with errors, which normally would be expected but not from blizzard who run the biggest MMOs in the world. SC2 and WoW. This is a game which was developed for 10 years, I feel I could have gotten a degree in software writing, rendering, modelling and texturing and made a better game in the same timeframe. The lack of single player feels stingy and irritating, as the previous 2 games were primarily based on single player. The cash shop allows players to pay to win, the annoying thing is of course that you cannot choose to not play with these people as there is no singleplayer, playing the game requires you remain online. Similarly, the feel of the game, that is, the music, the texturing etc isn't in a unique style. Personally it feels cartoonish and unrealistic, so much so that the 128 colour graphics of d2 are more realistic. The music feels like they were trying to improve on a masterpiece by rewriting Tristram's theme. If you have played Diablo 1 or 2. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. If you haven't and this is your first game ever, there's a good chance you may enjoy it. Expand
  53. May 22, 2012
    The game starts off slow, however once you make your way into nightmare and hell.... the game becomes GREAT. The higher difficulties are challenging and without the gear, you will possibly have trouble soloing parts of the game without hoarding the elites away! The game is perfect for anyone who would come back to diablo 2 every once in a while, just to enjoy its gameplay. MAIN FEATURE is that it is exactly like diablo 2, the game feels the same and also has alot of improvements! +10 Expand
  54. May 18, 2012
    Do yourself a favor and play a demo of this, or go to a friend's place to try it before you buy. I wish I had. I feel like Blizzard has stolen $60 from me, the graphics are ho hum, the story line is old and boring, and the action is totally BLAH. If anyone knows how I could get my money and time back from this experience, please let me know. Have all the great game designers been squelched at these big companies? Where is the fun and innovations I use to associate with big title releases? Expand
  55. May 18, 2012
    There are far many games worse than D3, but $60 for this is absolutely a travesty. Graphics not great, audio pretty weak, and when playing you know that it's not worth even $30 so it makes the game that much worse. Everyone has said enough already, but don't buy this game now.
  56. May 18, 2012
    Lackluster graphics, game play, story, and skill trees. DRM to play a single player game? What are we paying for then? HUGE disappointment. If you want to own it, pirate it. You don't get what you pay for.
  57. May 18, 2012
    What is the point of buying a game if you can't even play it? I saved up for it, just to play by myself. I'm not a big multiplayer user, so I bought it for the singleplayer. Turns out, it doesn't matter. I can't play it without being online, which is horrible since I don't always have internet. Also: Error 37.
  58. May 19, 2012
    This game is fun if you can play...Every time i get on to play the servers are down for maintenance. When I do get in a game I get constant 3007 errors after 20 min of playing which disconnect me back to the login screen. I keep having to replay the same quests over and over because of the disconnects. This is very unlike blizzard to release a game that's not finished with these type of problems. Contemplating getting a full refund.

Being forced to play online is the biggest mistake this game makes...if your going to force me to play online better have a server that is available for me WHEN IM READY TO PLAY. This game is a huge fail.
  59. May 19, 2012
    I would give 8.5 if you could play offline, but I have to keep stopping every moment, either because of bugs or long maintenance of own blizzard, this type of treatment the client can not get away
  60. May 19, 2012
    For the first thing - i want to mention that i didnt experienced any problam with the servers disconnecting and i really dont mind about the DRM system. After few hours playing this game i have only 1 word to say - DISAPPOINTMENT.
    If u played diablo 1, and diablo 2 and ur a diablo fan? dont think about playing this game because it will just make u angry.
    it seems blizzard neglected all the
    good and unique features that made diablo II LoD one of the best games in history.
    1. No customize Skills + Artibbutes - this is really poor and ruine the game experience for me. blizzard aimed this game for 6 years old who dont need to think. u cant longer do customize and special chars (for exemple enchantress bear sorc on d2 :p).
    2. Party groups of only 4 ppl - really shame then instead of moving foward and making the game experience of interacting and playing with other people they move back to only 4 people partys.
    3. No game list like diablo 2- all the games are randomize and u cant enter a game for trading like on diablo 2.
    4. The trading experience is really bad now- u dont longer can have the great feeling of the trading in diablo 2 (trading low items junk for medium junk. medium junk into better items etc)- i remember i used to spend many nights by only trading junk to get better items.
    5. NO more world PVP feature - i wasnt a big fan of it but it was fun to duel people on world pvp, now u can only do WoW style pvp arena which is good but they neglected world pvp which was fun.
    In conclusion, blizzard had 12 years to make the Diablo III and they wasted all this time of making a poor WoW 2. Diablo II is a game who stand the test of time and is still largly played by many people around the world this days, when diablo III in my opinion doesnt even stand the test of present time. its a truly sad day for diablo game series fans. take care.
  61. May 19, 2012
    Let me start by saying that if you haven't noticed, metacritic is working really hard trying to avoid Diablo III getting the score the users think (which IMO is the closest to what this game deserves) by censoring comments with nothing wrong in it just for rating below 2, i got my comment deleted for no reason so i'm not going to rewrite all over again, just some facts: Cons:
    customization at all
    -None replayability
    -Ridiculously flat skill/attribute points
    -Extremely linear
    -Difficulty not challenging at all
    -No runewords
    -Pay to win RMAH
    -Battlenet 2.0
    -WoW-like skills and graphics
    -+200str an armor? lol...(WoW-like items, never seen a +200str or +200 any other attribute in diablo games)
    -No PvP on release
    -Checkpoints (awful implementation) -Joining game issues like: leveling up or getting waypoints you didn't have.
    -Almost none ingame trade system (no global chat equals no trade between players equals all trades made with blizzard as intermediary equals high end items that worth RM get sold in RMAH equals blizzard getting part of)
    -12 years wait.

Pros:
    -Due to the dificulty and the mobs AI you could still play Diablo III even with both arms broken.
    -Its pretty optimized for smooth gameplay even on not high end PCs.
  62. May 19, 2012
    The worst let down of all time... The story is mediocre, there is no challenging gameplay, it takes 4 days to completely max out your character for what that is even worth since you don't get to choose anything and everyone's characters are exactly the same, level cap is 60. They basically took out everything that made it fun. It is no longer a dungeon crawler, as expansive levels and have been replaced by one room caves, i'm not sure any of the maps ever even change since everything is pretty much in the same place.... The graphics are way less than acceptable... The real problem though is the leveling system you can't choose any skill points, spells or anything about your character other than their name, on top of that the cap is 60 and it takes no time to get there after the first difficulty your level thirty minimum.. Diablo 2 was a challenging game it took for ever to get to level 90 and above and that is what made it fun the game is about leveling and loot it doesn't work without both parts... turns out to be like thanks i'm level 60 now great that took 4ish days i guess i could start a new character but since it took so little time to get here is this even fun at this point. I really loved the idea of RMAH but once again what value do any items have if every eight-year-old and their mom can make it to the level cap without any effort, its certainly instant gratification for people who hate actually accomplishing things. Torchlight was a much better developed game and i'm sure its budget was null in comparison to Diablo 3's. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS GAME IS THAT BLIZZARD HAS RUN OUT OF GAMES TO RUIN AT THIS POINT. Expand
  63. May 20, 2012
    Extremely expensive game with poor graphics and a bad story. It requires constant connection to the internet to play and the servers are always busy/down.
  64. May 20, 2012
    As an Australian player, this game is nearly unplayable. I'm stuck with a ping that averages 600, which makes combat sluggish, ugly, and playing multi-player with friends causes severe lag spikes which are absolutely disgusting.

Blizzard used to be a company I had a bit of respect for, but their abuse of everyone that isn't American paints them as a bunch of elitist pigs that the world
    would be better without.

I mean, EA included Australian servers for SWTOR, but Blizzard? Blizzard are now scum of the gaming world. **** Blizzard.
  65. May 20, 2012
    A really great game... if it was playable. Great graphics, great optimization, great story-telling, awesome atmosphere and gameplay...
    but horrid on-line experience (can't connect, server under maintenance, horrid lag spike...)
    Blizzard knew people were already upset about the lack of an off-line mode, yet they failed to deliver a stable on-line play.
  66. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a new player to Diablo franchise or even to Blizzard games, I didn't really know what to expect. I only knew it is about fighting monsters, gathering loot and so on. The way gameplay is made is kinda... weird, to be honest. First you obtain an account on so-called battle.net, then you use it to log-in in game. After you do it, monster cards begin to appear, each in nice rectangular frame and labelled with name like "error 37" or so. They also have a nice flavor text. If they appear it means that you have logged too slow and the monster has won. There is quite a variety of enemies, varying in effects and how quickly they kill. The 37 is most common one. 10001 tends to spawn along with 3000008. 12 is a fun one, requires the player to change his "build" in options menu. If the player manages to kill the monster, they can create a character (which is werid, shouldn't it be done BEFORE the actual fight?), and they can take it to fight with other cards. I have yet to beat 3004 and 3006, those are nasty. Balance is weird. 33 is unbeatable. 37 is very common one, easy to beat with typing quick enough. 300008 is rare and weak. I would have nothing against the number indicating how powerful is the encountered mob. 33 is close to 37 and yet they are completely diffrent.

Overall I am not sure if I like this novel approach to card-based gameplay, but hey, thats Blizzard. Those guys surely know how to make a good game. In the end, however, the point of a review is to tell how much reviewer likes the game and its particular aspects. Gameplay gets 2 big, bad 2 for me - unique for sure, but in the end boring. Quite time consuming, too, and I don't feel any sense of progress, though, beating a 10001 feels good for sure!

Graphics are nice, there is an animated background. It does not fit the fighting errors theme, I think something more related to computers would be better. The same can be said about music. 6 for both - Nice, but not fitting.

It is said that the game has some form of multiplayer - I don't really understand how to use it.

So, in the end: unique card game which is quite hard to understand properly. Massive flaws in balance of particular cards, also gets boring after some time.
  67. May 20, 2012
    On one hand, its a good game. Well made, typical of its genre, lots of clicking etc :)

On the other so far (end of Act 2) little or no sub-plots. Dumbed down stats management - do companies not realise that players want to feel as though their characters are personal? Fixed stats per character type destroy that. No character portraits or customisation. Every character, colour aside
    looks exactly the same...

Finallly, online DRM.... battle net down again.... first weekend.... they have had so long to get this right. And they have failed miserably. If online DRM was not around, I'd give it an extra couple of points. As it is, I have a distinct problem with not being able to play a single player game without the need for an internet server.
  68. May 20, 2012
    what kind of company makes a game and forces single player to connect to a server and then take the European servers down at peak time on a Sunday when most people will want to play?
    Hopefully a company that very soon will be going insolvent when it loses its fan base. Let's hope Torchlight 2 do better than this and take all Blizzard's customers.
  69. ran
    May 20, 2012
    This game is just ridiculous I cant understand how could it be that you not only need to connect to the internet in order to play singelplayer, but it also BLOCK you from using it because too many people around the world, simultaneously, are using the same product. Blizzard is actually defying the terms of the game- the costumer pay, and then play. In this case, the costumer not only paying more then any other game, but also get a limited access for his game. Awfull. Expand
  70. May 20, 2012
    Unplayable connections, low graphics and ridiculous leveling system make this game sickening. Blizzard has lost a customer for life. No more. The DRM systems fails on every level and so has Blizzard.
  71. HiD
    May 20, 2012
    I can hardly connect to the game, and when I can I just experience insane lags... The game is unplayable..even is solo, because of the need ot be online in order to play the game...
  72. May 20, 2012
    Nothing new in this game, its very very easy, simple point and click and that's about it. You will spend most of your time actually trying to get logged into the game even for single player!
    Most disappointed I've ever been with a game, played it for 3 days now and I'm tired of it.
  73. May 21, 2012
    Dumbed down and disappointing and downright dull. The DRM is a dick move. Hard to believe this game has been in development for a year let alone a decade. Too easy and too short and the story was just some hack job. Terrible game.
  74. May 21, 2012
    When I heard Diablo 3 was coming out I got excited. I have played this series since the beginning. But having played it now for about a week I must say this game is an extreme disappointment. I'll lay the pro's out first, not that there are many. First the new classes are interesting, new twists on old ideas. They kept the random generated maps and items which I also like. The story seems solid as well.

Ok on to the con's. First and foremost why on earth the devs decided to make a single player game require online connectivity to play is beyond me. Whats worse is the servers keep crashing, and I've experienced lag, which has killed me on numerous occasions. And its not like I live in the sticks with a shoddy connection either. This is where random maps become an issue, more than once I've been three quarters done with a level only to lose a connection and have to restart the whole thing on a new map.

Next major issue, they dumbed down the leveling so much, this no longer feels like an rpg, more like an action arcade game from ten years ago. Call me old fashioned but I like attribute points, and I like assigning them they way I want to. Its an interesting concept to be able to change skills at random, but honestly I don't even do that that much. Also, why are rewards for achievements new banner decorations? I don't get to use the banner in game.

Next is the items, the fact that nothing has any resale value essentially means I only bother picking up magical items. Even those I just pickup en mass since I no longer need to worry about portal scrolls. Again, that was part of the rpg element, managing your scrolls. Speaking of scrolls, or lack there of, why even bother having rare unidentified objects. It then just becomes a hassle waiting to identify something. If we want to make a game five year olds can play, why not at least make it streamlined and have everything identified. Oh and potion management and health globes, both useless. Why there is a time limit on health potions is again beyond me. I have a stack of no less then thirty potions at any one time simply because I cant use them. Then every third enemy drops a health globe anyway so whats the point? When I don't need health there's plenty, when I do need it I can't use it. Also the merchants are useless, their good seem to be chronically below my level. The only time I actually go to one is to repair my equipment. Even the blacksmith, who I try and keep a few levels ahead of me, is weak in the gear department.

Lastly the enemies are somewhat disappointing. They either seem to easy, or too difficult with no real sense of balance. In fact, the only boss I've even had a bit of trouble with was the the first, Belial. After that they all die way to quickly. I've had more trouble just getting swamped by waves of regular monsters. Overall, while the game does have its moments, its just too frustrating and simple to be that recommendable. Blizzard could fix most of the issues if they care, but we will see. If I finish the game it will probably be the last time I play it.
  75. May 21, 2012
    I purchased this game mostly to play single player. I can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that Blizzard programmed by making a battle.net connection REQUIRED for single player. Bravo, after years of "polishing" I can not play because of your greed. The servers are so overwhelmed I can not log into the single player game. Total BS.
  76. May 22, 2012
    Paid good money for a game I can hardly play. Getting disconnect errors interrupted connection and you have been disconnected from battlenet service.

When I by a game I like to play it when I want, how I want and the way that I want.

With Diablo 3 I can only play when the server accepts the connection and only for as long as the battlenet service allows before disconnecting me. And when
    I am connected I have to play the way blizzard wants because all levels of difficulty are locked until you play normal difficulty. I have been playing rpg's for years and do not want to piss around playing normal for hours just to unlock the next level of difficulty. What ever happened to being able to choose how to play the game you own how you want? Expand
  77. May 22, 2012
    As many of these reviews were made on release date which was, to be modest, a terrible launch day, I feel it is only fair to give the game an honest review that isn't smothered in contempt and raging anxiety. Diablo 3 is a DECENT game, it's not good, and itâ
  78. May 23, 2012
    I have spent 6 hours trying to connect. I login and get disconnected from the server within 60 seconds (this is when the servers are on). I have an I7 pc and a high speed internet connection. If a game is that buggy that it cant be played on a top end computer then it deserves a score of 0 why because the game doesn't work. On top of that blizards support is awful so like me if you suffer connection problems expect once you have submitted a ticket expect to be told to set your ports and shut of your firewalls (ignoring any security riisks and which for the record dont help). Even if you tell them you have already done this)

If you want a game that may or may not work after youve paid for it buy diablo but you would be better off playing roulette
  79. May 24, 2012
    No unique character development - auto-levelling, which means every character of the same class is the same, except gear. And surprise, there is a PayToWin shop in game. For gear. See connection? That would be ok for F2P, but an absolute NO for a game costing around 60$. Plus AlwaysOnlineDRM, which forces you to bow to every whim of Blizzard. Short single player campaign. Launch problems and conection issues at day one. All in all - a very very bad direction in gaming. For its current price and state, it is definately a 0. Expand
  80. May 24, 2012
    Sorry Blizzard, you know I love you but I have yet to play a session without getting disconnected with some sort of error message. That I could have lived with for a few days, but you've now had well over a week to fix it and it actually seems to be getting worse.

I took a break of 2 days and today I decide to give it another go and got an Error 3007 after 3 minutes! If you're going to
    put such intrusive DRManti-piracyanti-cheat measures into a game in the future, try to make sure it doesn't screw over half your PAYING CUSTOMERS who have no intention of hackcheatetc!! And yes I absolutely will give the game a poor score due to this because it has thus far ruined the whole experience for me.... all I want to do is have an hour or 2 of single player goodness yet most MMO releases are better than this. And no I'm not going to start rebooting my modem and opening random ports to try and solve this because I have plenty of other multiplayer games and even MMOs that don't require such measures. Expand
  81. May 24, 2012
    My first review on Metacritic. I had to give Diablo 3 a 1 out of 10 based on two reasons, the lack of offline gameplay and the recent Blizzard statement. Blizzard released a glowing press statement about the record sales figures of Diablo 3 with this paragraph included. 'we're especially proud of the gameplay feedback we've received from players worldwide'. It must be nice to be this intentionally ignorant of how customers feel about the DRM measures they have had forced down their throats. The only option if you want to be free of this type of business decision is to not buy the game. (or look to the hackers to come up with a crack for off line single players) Unfortunately we all bought Diablo 3 anyway, knowing that the DRM was in the bargain. I guess it took buying it to truly understand how terrible the DRM is. Well, once bitten twice shy. Blizzard's attitude coupled with awful DRM and a just about above average game equals a 1/10 for me. It is a shame that gaming is hitting these all time lows... Expand
  82. May 24, 2012
    This game is okay, but it is nothing like Diablo 2. It has been modeled around being sustainable income for Blizzard.

Currently the only way to be able to farm gear that is worth anything is to use the gear that is worth anything. The only reason people are able to do so right now is because they abused overpowered builds, but they have since been nerfed so nobody else can farm it.
    Inferno in this game is difficult because of boosted enemy damage and hp, not a change in actual challenge. It's one big gear check.

Since you can't make gold without farming good items to buy good items in order to farm good items, you'll need to use the Real Money Auction House when it comes out.

It's one big ploy for your money, gents... just wait for Torchlight 2 or go play something else.
  83. May 25, 2012
    Disappointed. I played solo and the game crashed because of disconnected. Everyday. WTF is this ? DRM for honest players ? I can't create LAN party, I can't join friends directly, I must give my login to play everytime.
    The game is nice but I can't have fun with this, I give a 1.
  84. May 25, 2012
    Game is absolutely terrible. Doesn't deserve the title of the renowned "Diablo" series. Absolutely 0 customization (the fun thing about D2) + removal of chat channels (nice way to kill the community) + easy level cap of 60 (takes roughly 7 hours if powerleveled correctly). Extreme let down. Incoming microtransaction fees because that's ALL blizzard/activision cares about these days. Absolutely horrendous of a game and I'm so sad to have purchased the collectors. Waste of money. Waste of time. Expand
  85. May 25, 2012
    Completly developed against all diablo fans excpecations. RMAH for the win = 0 points.
    Buy your gear in the AH, kill diablo, game over. Blizzard failed so hard with this game, it makes a whole generation of gamers just sad.
  86. May 25, 2012
    Terrible stoy and narration, one kid 5 yo would have done better (the same as with starcraft 2).
    Always online drm for single player in the most retarded thing ever done.
    A game built upon the shameful real money AH.
    Terrible graphics, I expecter A LOT more than the usual WOW art style.
    Gameplay wise is worse than Diablo 2 in many areas.
    Ridicolous price for a bad product like this.
  87. May 26, 2012
    I have to play the game in compatibility mode (I have windows 64), I have trouble connecting to the servers, and there is no single player (what is there doesn't count since I have to be connected to the internet anyway). Fix your **** Blizzard. Give us LAN, give us singleplayer, give us what you used to when you were a good company.
  88. May 26, 2012
    If it were a charming indie-remake of diablo II with sweet retro-pixel graphics, and it would sell for 2$, then it would still be worth the troubles and the pretty unspired gameplay I guess. The only problem being that it just is not. You pay 60 bucks for mediocre (at best) graphics and boring gameplay. My recommendation is to keep playing WoW, as D3 feels more like WoW and all its boring parts in third person than anything else. Perhaps in 5 years and 2 expansions this will be better, but then you'd shove out another 60$ for both of them. So my money to fun ratio is about 0.001, which almost makes a perfect 0. In this case I gladly round to zero. I would definitely return this game if I could. Expand
  89. May 18, 2014
    I honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it and haven't played it since then, I suggest you give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has some issues, like in order to fix the horrible economy they basically destroyed trading(in that all the highest tier items are pretty much account bound), but the fact that you'll actually find items worth using makes that a whole lot less painful than you would think, and it's definitely better than that awful auction/trading house mess that they had at release. As of 2.0.1 it is good enough that I spent money on their over priced expansion pack, and I honestly was planning on never giving Blizzard another dime, ever again. Expand
  90. Jun 5, 2012
    This game is action console-feel crap. I don't get the same satisfaction from killing monsters that was in the previous Diablo games. Not to mention dozens of flaws listed in the other reviews. The real series ended at Diablo 2.
  91. Jun 8, 2012
    Blizzard should be ashamed. Of course they won't be because this terrible game broke sales records and that seems to be the only thing they care about recently. I get that this is a business and all but I would rather give my money to game companies that give half a crap about their customers. Boring story, light hearted cartoon graphics an setting, elevator equivalent music, pay to win, repetative gameplay(hack and slash blah blah blah, at least the previous games were extremely fun style repetative, not this pointless bull), a COOPERATIVE/MULTI game with solo capabilities(unless a "friend" feels like dropping in unannounced. Damn Blizzard and damn D3. I will never give them another dollar. If you are looking to try this game I would suggest looking up private servers, yes, there are already several up. Expand
  92. Jun 8, 2012
    Seriously? What the **** is this? Blizzard go eat **** II is even more funny. You waste 13 years for this crap? Come on ! I hate you Blizzard.Seriously? What the **** is this? Blizzard go eat **** II is even more funny. You waste 13 years for this crap? Come on ! I hate you Blizzard.
  93. Jun 10, 2012
    The biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and its predecessors with worse graphics from a technical perspective do a better job of creating atmosphere. Expand
  94. Jun 16, 2012
    I've been playing this game for more than 100+ hours now and I really have to say that in it's entirety, I hate it. Not in it's core content and but in it's implementation. Don't get me wrong. It is still fun to play and retains the same dungeon-crawling, loot-grabbing, clickity-click click goodness. But is that really all there is to it? I've played D1/D2 and have finished and enjoyed those multiple times but what made those games stand out and acquired a cult following seems to have been lost in D3. I'm not even gonna mention the DC's and server stuff because those are fixable, in fairness to Blizzard. Upon playing this game a lot because of it's "fundamentally" fun gameplay, and I use the term loosely, I can't help myself in the back of my mind feeling cheated. It seems that this "Always-Online" thing is forced upon the consumer to make sure that their asses are covered for delivering an unpolished product. Think of it as ordering delivery for a pizza. They send it to your house, without most of the toppings and the delivery guy occasionally puts toppings on it as you notice it while eating. Terrible.

They also mentioned the online setting is to promote coop and to fight gold-sellers and outside seeling from third-party sites and what-not. But they have a real currency auction house for Christ-sakes, they want you to spend your money on them, not on some god-forbidden site where they have no share from the earnings.

The way the loot is spread and supposedly "randomized", somehow I felt cheated. I have 3 level 60 characters and you don't get what you need, ever. You get crap or what other classes need. Hence me making 3 Chars. Seriously, the AH has been my friend and I couldn't have survived without it. How will I have gold? Yes, grinding. Now, I don't mind grinding but when you're digging through the ground with a teaspoon to find an ever so slightly bigger teaspoon to dig with, well you get the picture. They got you playing for a long time and almost always never getting a feeling of satisfaction.

Maybe I'm a noob, maybe you're the greatest player in D3, but one thing is clear. D3 is made with business in mind. They don't care really care about you, all they care is you clocking a million hours doing the same things so they can get more of your money. From the bottom of my best judgment and honesty, I give this game a measly 1/10 for its entirety. After all, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Nuff' said. Thanks for reading. HTH.
  95. Jun 17, 2012
    After 160 hours of game time i can clearly say that this game was made to maximise profit(auction house, real money auction house, poor class and item balance) and not the players enjoyment. So i am 160 hours into the game. I spend 130 hours(inferno-act 2 clear) on my barbarian, 20 hours(lv 30) on my wizard and 20 hours(lv 30) on my witchdoctor. All i have to say this game is a big disappointment. If you play melee (barb or monk) you have to play tank to play progressive. Who really wants to play tank especially in sigleplayer! Within those 130 hours i could have cleared act 2 with two ranged classes (wizard, witchdoctor, demonhunter). Demonhunter is the most overpowered class ever existed in a game! Virtually every progamer trying to make money with this game plays a demonhunter! Gamebalance is really bad! Auction house and real money auction house totally take the fun out of this game! Every player has 90% of his items bought via the auction house! The whole game system is just bad! Nearly all legendaries and set items are worthless. This takes a lot of fun and motivation out of this game! After 160 hours of game time i can clearly say that this game was made to maximise profit(auction house, real money auction house, poor class and item balance) and not the players enjoyment. Expand
  96. Jun 19, 2012
    Not much more than a slot machine.

Note. In games, I always play single player campaigns. Rarely play online multiplayer (never played WoW or any other mmo). Up till now really rated Blizzard. I finished the game with all class (although normal difficulty) and uninstalled the game after reaching level 60 with a monk class and 25-30 with all other (I don't know why I kept going really,
    I really wanted the game to be fun, I guess I didn't want to feel like I threw $80 away - probably the same reason I am writing this)

-Gameplay -
    Poor balance, starts too easy on normal, then hell champs are unbeatable without buying your way through.
    Loot is clearly scripted to be below your level or for a different class, most drops are useless (hatred on sword...), I refuse to go on the online auction to buy items when I want to play solo however the game force you to do that. In that case there is no way to progress other than abusing the AI, avoiding combat or restarting the game to generate easier champs.
    There is no real skill involved in beating enemies, point and click really (that or die, restart, die when the enemy champs combo you without any way to react -e.g. paralyse + insta kill area spell)
    Poor dungeons layout, no sense of exploring, spend most of the time backtracking (items that increase your speed are a must) with little else happening.
    The first two chapters are long enough and don't feel as linear, has some interaction with the environment (only chapter 1 really), however you will notice a big drop in quality for the last 2. I hated doing the 3rd one -feels like a really long corridor toward chapter 4 - and the last chapter although having nice visuals is really too short compared to the others. I am amazed that the story is so short and linear for a games that's been in dev for so long. It's not as if blizz had to start from scratch.
    Characters are quite different although one quickly realise their skills are fairly pointless at higher level. And Bliz nerfed a couple of abilities that were used too much apparently (some might call it balancing to me it' killing some of the fun aspect to make it blend. If I want to run set a set of skills I will even if they are not as powerfull as other combo, it's up to me to decide but then again the problem is with the online balance. As shame really in other rpg games it would be up to me to decide if I wanted to change my gaming experience by applying a balance patch or not.

-Story-
    Nothing special but nothing too bad there. Very linear and so predictable, not great fantasy there but I guess the story in this game is secondary, a shame you have to go through it again every time you restart the game at higher level of difficulty (i.e. no random levels to explore) -Re playability -
    Nothing here, no random dungeons (clearly the same map with a chance of bringing 2/3 scripted events (i.e. small cellar, merchant) from a pool of ~10), I played the same story with all characters, brought the monk to 60 the games hoping it would get better however it got boring after the 2nd replay
    Adding to that random server maintenance (it took an afternoon off work to play and got very frustrating not being able to play a solo game).

- Other -
    Too many hacked account doesn't inspire confidence in Blizzard. for one I see this as a solo game. Blizz has created the security issue by going online and clearly has poor server problems. The game is clearly designed around the auction house instead of what happens ingame.
  97. Jun 21, 2012
    A generally well made game which has failed to meet many expectations from the community, based on previous experience with the franchise. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of end-game content, which has left many more dedicated fans restless and unhappy (hence the bad reviews here).
  98. Jun 26, 2012
    If you want +ITEMS +BUILDS, +CUSTOMIZATION, +FREEDOM, +NON-LINEAR GAME PLAY .....AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....if you want to sink in hours upon hours into your character and slowly progress to becoming GODLIKE, you won't be able to do it in this game. 1. Because they will RETROACTIVELY NERF the **** out of your gear. 2. You cannot actually find any gear yourself, you grind for gold.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Take a moment to let that sink in. THEY RETROACTIVELY NERF GEAR YOU ALREADY HAVE!! This is **** Why play the **** game? They have no qualms about **** MILLIONS of players in the ass....by nerfing the gear they already found or worse.....bought for real money. This game is tedium, not fun. You grind for gold, and buy items that others found. A limited amount of trading is healthy and fun. This game is 99% gold grind, and you will NEVER find items that you can actually use.
  99. Jun 28, 2012
    This game might have been good 12 years ago. The gameplay is extremely outdated, there is very little content, and everything is designed to get you to spend money on the real money auction house. Steer clear of this stinker.
  100. Jul 10, 2012
    Very Bad Story
    Capitalism RMAH/GoldAH
    Skillsystem? I cant find them
    Bugs,Bugs, BUGS!
    Cloud Gaming (Blizzard can patch from server without Real Patch)
    Dropsystem,Itemsystem: So bad design

I give 0 in 10 points and say this game is the biggest disappointment in videogame history.

1. Aug 31, 2012