3.9

1. May 15, 2012
    Got to play it a bit earlier today, but completely fails now. The fact that they don't bother to prepare for this launch is disturbing and shows complete lack of respect for their customers.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Worst game launch i ever could imagine! We waited for that game for 12 years and all we get no is sucky DRM policy that due to bad hservers not powerfull enough servers gives us no choice but to sit and wait to play SIBGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN atleast for the mother of god freaking love...
  3. May 15, 2012
    Wank poor performance by Blizzard/Activision. Force us to be always be connected to their servers to combat, "Piracy", but fail to have enough servers to cope. I guess they all ready have our money, so they win and we lose. Should not be allowed.
  4. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard spent 12 years or something to come with the third installment but could not manage to make the game playable. Wait a year until it is stable since Blizzard could not care less about making things that work from day one they just want your money now.
  5. May 15, 2012
    I dislike this game profusely - it consists entirely of Ctrl-V, Enter, and dodging the "Error 37" and "Error 75" mobs. I was expecting more originality and WAY better graphics.
    Oh yea, the story line sucks.
  6. May 15, 2012
    Joke, can't log in. They insultingly release the installer 2 months before release, and then don't even let us log in after waiting 2 months.

The graphics are like... warcraft 3 graphics.
  7. May 15, 2012
    Took the day off work, couldn't get on last night due to stress errors, can't get on right now due to servers being down. I work all the time, don't know when I will get the chance to spend a serious amount of time on this game. Severely disappointed that I can't play a game I own. Learn from my mistakes: Don't pre-order from blizzard, don't expect to play on release day.
  8. May 15, 2012
    Really bad release. Whoever rates this game a "10" is a mindless zombie. Was able to only get about 4 hours of game play. Spent the first few hours of release trying to connect to their DRM servers and now they're in maintenance mode all morning. Extremely disappointing for a company with such high standards as Blizzard.
  9. May 18, 2012
    D3 has reduced the series to something else, its not the game it should be. Its overly simplified to the point where you could most likely teach a chimpanzee to play it. On the opening day, its riddled with errors, which normally would be expected but not from blizzard who run the biggest MMOs in the world. SC2 and WoW. This is a game which was developed for 10 years, I feel I could have gotten a degree in software writing, rendering, modelling and texturing and made a better game in the same timeframe. The lack of single player feels stingy and irritating, as the previous 2 games were primarily based on single player. The cash shop allows players to pay to win, the annoying thing is of course that you cannot choose to not play with these people as there is no singleplayer, playing the game requires you remain online. Similarly, the feel of the game, that is, the music, the texturing etc isn't in a unique style. Personally it feels cartoonish and unrealistic, so much so that the 128 colour graphics of d2 are more realistic. The music feels like they were trying to improve on a masterpiece by rewriting Tristram's theme. If you have played Diablo 1 or 2. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. If you haven't and this is your first game ever, there's a good chance you may enjoy it. Expand
  10. May 15, 2012
    If you are an old fan of Diablo 1 and 2, you are in store for a lot of disappointments. The game feels as if it was rushed. 90% of the games cinematics are hand drawn sketches with motion added to them. Builds are a lot less custamizable and the game all together feels a lot more passive and less active/engaging.
  11. May 15, 2012
    I'll skip the already-covered areas of DRM, server availability and pay-to-win auction houses. What prompted this review is Blizzard's customer service and absolute lack of forethought about simple aspects of the game. Case in point: I accidentally mistyped by BattleTag and opened a ticket to reset it. The reply? "Sorry, we didn't code for that." Seriously? From crashy servers to generic, unchangeable BattleTag IDs, there is no part of the technical infrastructure that Blizzard executed properly. Since I can't play the game itself without the servers, my only frame of reference is what I saw during the beta test phase:

* The artwork is okay, if somewhat "toony."
    * The story is okay, if somewhat generic.
    * The Witch Doctor class feels entirely out-of-place, as if it belongs in some other game.
    * The skill and rune systems have been dumbed down from Diablo 2.

Overall, Diablo 3 is an average-to-mediocre experience at a premium price. The game plays more like an Activision title than a Blizzard one. Let the buyer beware....
  12. May 15, 2012
    All the build up for release, planned, calculated. EPIC Fail on release with DRM Servers keeping everyone from logging in. There should be an offline mode, and furtharmore DRM needs to be throttled back a bit.
  13. May 15, 2012
    This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review, the game is that disappointing. The game is extremely short (no doubt for more $60 expansions), lacks LAN, lacks world PvP, has been extremely dumbed down and overly "streamlined" (attributes, skill, SEPARATE loot - lol wtf are you kidding me). Some people might find the changes appealing, but they have taken away everything I liked about the Diablo series.

I was slightly disappointed in Starcraft II. That should have been my first clue that Blizzard was no longer the company I had come to love. Diablo III is such a massive disappointment that I will never buy a Blizzard game again without serious research into the quality of the game.
  14. May 15, 2012
    Remember when Blizzard games were interesting, fresh, and changed the gaming landscape? Yeah, me neither. Just like Starcraft 2, this is an out-of-date attempt to peddle the same old crap to a bunch of braindead fans who will buy this just because "it's diablo". But then they even shot that in the foot with awful compulsory online capabilities and a mediocre campaign mode! Blizzard is a disgusting company and Diablo 3 is a disgusting game made entirely for a quick buck at the expense of a franchises' dignity. This sort of click-happy gameplay should have evolved into something better ten years ago, not be unceremoniously dragged out of retirement like Diablo himself. If you guy this game you are a failure of a gamer. Don't support **** rehashes. Go buy something new for a change. You owe it to Diablo's memory. Expand
  15. May 15, 2012
    Released a few months too early and its completely unplayable right now. I hope if you get this game you dont plan on playing online.
  16. May 15, 2012
    The gameplay hasn't changed too much since the old Diablo series. Unfortunately, since you constantly have to be connected to error prone Blizzard Server, the game is only playable for maybe an hour at a time when it's probably the most inconvenient. The first two Diablo games could be enjoyed by yourself or with friends via direct IP connection. This was in addition to the optional (at the time) battle.net matchmaking services. Essentially one of the four players could host a game and the other 3 could connect to that machine. With Diablo 3, you're at the mercy of Blizzard and their temperamental servers. Since the game launched at Midnite on May 14th, I haven't been able to play past 10th level.

From what I have played through, I wasn't very impressed. The game barely plays on the HD3000 intel chipset (which is most laptops). The story is weak at best. The abilities don't always feel like their hitting or damaging their targets. The constant server issues probably has me jaded. But what do you expect from a gamer who just wants to enjoy his 60 dollars on a sequel 10 years in the making? Sorry Blizz... this is probably the beginning of the end for you guys...
  17. May 15, 2012
    After a very, very, VERY bad launch (well done blizzard), the game was not physically accessible until 1 hour after the set launch time. Blizzard knew this amount of traffic was coming, due to their open beta. I managed to get in around 2 hours after the release time, managed to get a couple of hours in (Level 21 Wizard) then BAM servers crash out of the blue. Servers have been down for over an hour, and its only been the first day!

Another issue being absolutely no F***ing offline availability for a game we bought offline. You would get a lot less bad reviews if you let us play during downtime but no, you want us to write bad reviews instead

FU BLIZZ
  18. May 15, 2012
    The game in itself isn't bad, but Blizzard is clearly using this as a quick cash grab, a game that hardly feels like it's predecessors, and taking few steps backwards in terms of creativity and innovation. The lore has been butchered completely and most boss fights are people you have already fought previously in Diablo 1 and II (Skeleton King, Butcher, Izual, and of course Diablo who has the same exact skill set from D2 even though he has absorbed all the other prime evils). Incredibly lazy on Blizzard's part. Not to mention requiring an online connection for single-player and real money auction house. Expand
  19. May 15, 2012
    Unable to login to play the game. Online-only DRM. Real money auction house. Terrible technical issues, terrible customer service, extreme hype machine, no respect for their customers. Blocking twitter accounts that are critical of their incompetence, censoring / banning complaints on their forums, no sufficient response to legitimate complaints. ActiBlizzard jumped the shark mid-WoW and has only gotten worse. They have no respect for the people who pay their salaries and put food on their tables: their own paying customers. The company is greedy, technically semi-incompetent, and overly focuses on marketing hype and spin at the expense of sound design. They are all about maximizing profits at the expense of their integrity. A fundamental re-evaluation of their priorities and thorough cleaning of house is required. Expand
  20. May 15, 2012
    I have to agree with 98% of the reviews. Blizzard crashed and burned hard. I'd hate to see an expansion pack for this game. Waste another $60 bucks, still cant play online, still cant play single player. I'd assume go back to Runescape than give this game any credit for being even the slightest bit better.
  21. May 15, 2012
    I wanted to love Diablo III. I'm writing this review based on my first day of playing the game. Ohh wait, I haven't been able to log in for more than 30 minutes at a time. There is no offline option. Given that Blizzard had 2,000,000 beta testers and managed 300,000 online simultaneously during the beta test they should have known the issues they would face at launch. They have a rough idea of their pre orders. Expand
  22. May 29, 2012
    Even ignoring the atrocious status of the servers, making it impossible to play two weeks after release, the game is unoriginal. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game, but they took Diablo 2, gutted the skill system slapped on new graphics and failed to deliver on basically any of their extravagant pre-release promises.
  23. r_d
    May 15, 2012
    Always-online DRM is garbage.
    It adds no value to the game, and the botched launch clearly illustrates why we cannot trust it.

Demand offline/LAN play.
  24. May 15, 2012
    Why did I pre-order Diablo 3 if it is 24 hours post launch and Blizzard is still having connectivity issues? "Single player" mode lags in the rare occasion that I can actually play (usually the servers are down and overcrowded and I am prevented from logging on)

Character customization is illusory if not altogether gone, the game looks and feels like a console port, and the ambiance is
    boring. The graphics are pathetic, even Tropic III looks better than this. I gave it 2 stars for reminding me how awesome Diablo II was. Expand
  25. May 15, 2012
    What is this game and why does it have the title 'Diablo III' on the cover? Can you make your "own" style character? No, apparently Mr. Wilson thinks its best if he chooses where all of our attribute points go. Cool skill trees? Nope, this poser game offers only 1/3 of the attacks per character. What about pvp that is usually the center point of online games? sorry true gamers, blizzard left that one out too. well can i still party up with my friends and play? well lets hope you only have 3 friends, because maximum capacity per game is a whopping 4 players! And the final kicker here is that its only available to play online.(which means you can play this game they call diablo 3 only when blizzard says so. Expand
  26. May 15, 2012
    It doesn't much matter what's in the game if the company requires a persistent internet connection to play it, and they can't manage to keep their servers up on launch day. I hope everyone at Blizzard is ashamed.
  27. May 15, 2012
    Bad bad servers. No such a good connection, failure on launch...lways online DRM, -Lack of skill diversity, -Connection errors, -Play to win, -Short story. This game is a step back from Diablo 2, so I recommend avoiding it.
  28. May 16, 2012
    Legitimate complaint with game fundaments: We can agree that due to the decisions made about the attribute and skills system that all level 60 wizards that I make will have the same options available to them. Therefore, Why would I make more than one level 60 of each class? You wouldn't. So in Diablo 3 you will likely make 5 characters, which in extreme situations takes roughly 2 days per character to reach level 60. After two weeks of playing you could easily have a max leveled character of each class. Even the most casual gamer will be able to have a max leveled character of each class within a number of weeks. And as we previously discussed due to the "customization" allowed in Diablo 3 each of their characters will be relatively similar to yours in the since that they have all of the same skills readily available for selection. There is no need to recreate characters, no decisions you make in the game are committments, and I don't see where any level of replayability will come from.

Pretty game, great name, fundamental game flaws. 3/10
  29. May 16, 2012
    Well this game sure sucks. Had it been just a random game from an unknown developer I would not be this hard on it. In fact it would be somewhat respectable, but this is Diablo 3. Turns out it is a bastard mix between Diablo 2 and WOW, but without the parts that made the Diablo prequels great. Dumbed down, cartooned up and absolutely uninspiring to me. This is what I feared since the first images and info from this game emerged years ago. Blizzard was the gaming company I held above all other, now I just despise them. F U Blizzard! Expand
  30. May 16, 2012
    I find that somehow game developers recently have lost sight of how to continue a successful franchise and it seems to be happening during the third iteration. Diablo 3 along with Fable 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 have taken what were excellent examples of adventure/action/rpg games and turned them into something else. I was honestly going to skip this game but my wife picked it up for me as a gift. After staring at the box for about half an hour I finally decided to install it. Upon installing the game I was greeted with a slew of errors while attempting to log in and finally gave up late in the evening on launch day. I went to bed feeling as though I should have went with my gut reaction and returned the game. I was especially annoyed at the utter lack of offline play modes. Regardless of Blizzard's reasoning behind this decision, it was a poor decision at best. This might seem like a viable idea, but I live in an area where broadband internet may or may not be available depending on where you live. Anyone who lives in a rural area, especially in mountainous areas will literally be unable to play. If I were to visit my relatives, I wouldn't be able to play due to the fact that they can really only get dial-up connections and even cell services are spotty.

The day after the theoretical launch day, I was finally able to play after work. I immediately felt underwhelmed by the graphics and feel of game play. The character movement and battle feels stiff and unexciting and the UI feels sub-optimal. I immediately noticed the lack of zoom capability with mouse wheel (admittedly nit-picky but this is really design heuristics 101), although there is a zoom button ('z') which zooms you all the way in or out. I haven't played it long enough to be certain, but it seems like a lot of the character customization appears to have been changed and or removed leaving the level profession feeling lackluster.

The lesson learned here is when dealing with sequels (or Blizzard) wait until the reviews come in or find a used copy in the bargain bin. Gameplay: mediocre
    Graphics: mediocre
    Online Requirement: dismal
  31. May 19, 2012
    This game is fun if you can play...Every time i get on to play the servers are down for maintenance. When I do get in a game I get constant 3007 errors after 20 min of playing which disconnect me back to the login screen. I keep having to replay the same quests over and over because of the disconnects. This is very unlike blizzard to release a game that's not finished with these type of problems. Contemplating getting a full refund.

Being forced to play online is the biggest mistake this game makes...if your going to force me to play online better have a server that is available for me WHEN IM READY TO PLAY. This game is a huge fail.
  32. May 16, 2012
    Myself and my wife paid a total of $120 for this game and have been able to play once thus far for about 45min until they took the server down right before we got to the boss. Don't waste your $
  33. May 17, 2012
    Because I live and bought the game in Korea, I can't switch language and have to play in Korean. Awesome. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/when-diablo-iii-doesnt-speak-your-language/
  34. May 17, 2012
    in France can not play more than 5 min "error 3007"
    no comunication of Blissard it is a shame
    or the price you pay for the game they could make an effort and provide for more server
    there has been a beta for it
  35. May 17, 2012
    3.7 user score and 88 metascore just shows that there is indeed something wrong with this game. The fact that none of the big gaming sites and publications - GameSpot, IGN etc - have posted their reviews after three days is, at least, suspicious (maybe they just couldn't play enough since the servers are always down). The game not coming with PvP is another hint at how the quality of Blizzard games have started to wane. This game is not only a bad piece of entertainment, but a major sign that the beloved and reliable Blizzard is finally succumbing to greed and corporate antics. Expand
  36. May 17, 2012
    If you are a experienced gamer that loves RPGs, Stay away from this one. Blizzard use to be known for making games that were easy to learn but hard to master, sadly they gave up on the later. Character customization is pretty much out. Gone our questions like "Which type of Barbarian do I want to be"? Blizzard will tell you what you want - and how you want it. The menu of Characters themselves are a bit odd. Taking a page of the trolls of WoW, Diablo added a Caribbean Voodoo master to a western Gothic tale. It's does not sit well. The Graphics while being easy on the eye, are nothing to write home about. Had someone told me this was a game from 5 years ago, I would believe them. The writing is taken straight out of a Saturday morning cartoons. "Now all shall suffer", "This is true evil" and other under thought cliches will be waiting for you. This is a causal game under the guise of a AAA tittle for gamers. As a causal game, it is quite good. But those don't cost 60Euros. And yes, while you are playing nothing feels better than being told that your connection to the server has been lost. Expand
  37. May 17, 2012
    Blizzard has had TWELVE YEARS to deliver a solid performance and failed. The first indication of failure is the setup/launcher failure to actually install the game! Seriously? You really screwed up the INSTALLER? Activision-Blizzard, if you are not embarrassed by this, you should be. Second, common sense dictates when you release a totally online game you make ABSOLUTELY sure your servers are ready! What? You only expected 150 people to actually buy the game? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL! Updated graphics and sound do not make this a worthwhile sequel, just pretty. As Tommy Boy said, Expand
  38. May 17, 2012
    This is the worst flop of the decade. DRM servers and no offline play. Hackers please fix this. And on top of all the BS their support will not even work or help you. They close out support tickets saying your problem is fixed without doing anything. They answer the phone while you have been waiting for 40mins on hold by picking up and hanging up on you. Anyone who preordered should get a refund now!! Expand
  39. May 17, 2012
    The need for a constant internet connection and the fact their servers CONTINUE to drop has just disgusted me.

Aside from that, no original content, zero character customization. Absolutely no replay value. If you haven't purchased this game yet, wait until it hits the value bin, you won't have to wait long
  40. May 17, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2, but this is just ridiculous. The game is a fine addition to the Diablo series, even though it is horribly dumbed down for the casual gamer masses. It's apparent that Blizzard doesn't care about their customers and are just another greedy corporation. The invasive DRM kills it for me. WHY THE HELL DO I NEED TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS FOR SINGLEPLAYER? So, if my internet dies, I can't play my game? Cool... I wish I could return it, this game really wasn't worth $60. Expand
  41. May 17, 2012
    I don't wanna sound like a rage nerd but i joined metacritic to make a statement. In Summary - a failed launch (previous sales of the game were known in preorders sales to other distributors how can you not have enough servers to support that!?) 80 minutes to log into servers wtf?

- dumbed down monkey play system (any fool knows this does not hold a candle to the re playability of d2
    everyone is the same with same skills just need to unlock the levels) you don't have to think about playing it again cause once your hero is maxed out they know everything!?

- pathetic server that constantly crashes (still getting 37 error 3006 error also being booted out and constant maintenence) I AM IN AUSTRALIA why am i in a US SERVER!?(no offense to those people) My ping is high i can't ENJOY THE GAME WHEN I DIE ON HARD CORE MODE CAUSE OF FREEZE FRAME LAG - stupid DRM when u play single player if you don't have a stable internet you know what guys? you can't play it... it will boot you and you lose your items great. you can't play it on the laptop and do some fun runs because you don't have internet. - pay to win(yes useless noblets will pay REAL CURRENCY to buy gold/items later on and own your face in PVP just because they have more money than you to spend to buy items they want. WTF is the point of being a peasant in a game are you serious who signs up to that?) - crappy graphics(torchlight looks better honestly nothing stands out plain bland graphics and just sad all round performance i have no idea why it needs a beefy comp to run those sorts of pathetic images)

- short gameplay (Koreans finished this game in 2-3 hours much replayability there? YES I KNOW WE ARE NOT KOREANS BUT it's short don't be expected to keep you entertained for long )

- Everything else is what it is a train wreck mediocre joke. i won't be supporting your stupid expansions and i don't think anyone should support their further expansions of diablo 3 I am not on the blizzard hate wagon i loved their titles (starcraft I and II, diablo 2, warcraft III FT I OWN ALL LEGIT) I once supported the company but on this occasion i cannot... it's not a matter of being spoilt it's a matter of principle that this is a joke and many people feel robbed for what they paid for a game that should not cost more than $5 AUD or $5 USD or $5 GBP. hang your heads in shame it might not affect you now as you are a multibillion dollar company but guess what lennon brothers died(who would have guessed!?). You used our hard earnt money to build your empire! If you hurt your loyal customers you will fall from grace, you are not the king of PC video games PC buyers can just choose to shun you out like they did to UBISOFT and you will become a thing of the past ... which is where this game belongs in the past!
  42. May 17, 2012
    A Ponzi scheme with absolutely nothing worth going for in return.
    Transform your e-penis complexes into amazing gear for real money: Diablo III is here!
  43. May 19, 2012
    Let me start by saying that if you haven't noticed, metacritic is working really hard trying to avoid Diablo III getting the score the users think (which IMO is the closest to what this game deserves) by censoring comments with nothing wrong in it just for rating below 2, i got my comment deleted for no reason so i'm not going to rewrite all over again, just some facts: Cons:
    customization at all
    -None replayability
    -Ridiculously flat skill/attribute points
    -Extremely linear
    -Difficulty not challenging at all
    -No runewords
    -Pay to win RMAH
    -Battlenet 2.0
    -WoW-like skills and graphics
    -+200str an armor? lol...(WoW-like items, never seen a +200str or +200 any other attribute in diablo games)
    -No PvP on release
    -Checkpoints (awful implementation) -Joining game issues like: leveling up or getting waypoints you didn't have.
    -Almost none ingame trade system (no global chat equals no trade between players equals all trades made with blizzard as intermediary equals high end items that worth RM get sold in RMAH equals blizzard getting part of)
    -12 years wait.

Pros:
    -Due to the dificulty and the mobs AI you could still play Diablo III even with both arms broken.
    -Its pretty optimized for smooth gameplay even on not high end PCs.
  44. May 17, 2012
    Since the time from when Diablo 3 was announced to the days before its release, my confidence in Blizzard has been severely shaken with some of the dissappointing games sequels they have released. And now, it seems that Diablo 3 is the game that broke the camels back. The respect I had for Blizzard being a revolutionary and innovative game publisher is all but lost. After paying the hefty $60 price, I am unable to play the game, not because of my computer specs, but the fact that the game has to be connected to the internet to play both multi and single player. I was aware of this fact when purchasing, however because Blizzard's server isn't even working properly, I might as well hang the diablo 3 DVD from my clothes line outside to keep the birds away; this way the DVD would actually be useful. In any other situation, if a company sells a product (or as Blizzard would like to call it, a service) in mass numbers that doesn't work, it would be refunded or recalled. This game is a perfect example of how corrupt the pc game industry has become, and how somehow it is the consumers who are out of line, because they are complaining about buying a $60 paperweight. Shame on Blizzard. By trying to discourage piracy with their always on single player connection, they only alienate the legitimate consumers who pay for their products. Moving past all of this, when actually able to play, the actual game itself is nothing new, rather an oversimplification of the former Diablo games. Attribute points are gone, character customization is limited to male or female, there is no options to choose skills (most of which are very unoriginal). In addition, the dark, moody graphics that helped define the Diablo series have been throw out for cartoony, WOW rip off graphics. To make things even worse, Diablo 3 has implemented real money, pay-to-win auction houses, allowing players to simply pay cash to create a strong player, rather than through their accomplishments in the game. To add insult to injury, players who use this feature will be helping to fatten Blizzard's wallet with every transaction, as Blizzard will be taking a 15% cut of all transactions, in additional to a $1 fee for every real money transaction. I am disgusted with Blizzard. 9 nine years in development and all we get is a money-making scheme disguised as the revolutionary Diablo 3 game that loyal fans to the series have eagerly been waiting for, taking advantage of their loyal consumer base. In closing, if there was one word to personify what I see Blizzard as after all this, it would have to be.. diablo. Expand
  45. May 17, 2012
    I am disgusted by grubs that took a winning model (hello, Diablo II is STILL selling well in stores, grubs!) and clamped something down on it so I CAN'T EVEN PLAY SINGLE PLAYER ON A GAME I JUST BOUGHT. Never again. Do you understand me? No Starscraft, no Diablo, no WOW, nothing. I wash my hands of you.
  46. May 17, 2012
    I'll keep it short and simple. There is no way for people to really express discontent with the gaming industry as a whole. If we don't buy the games people say we shouldn't have a voice, but if we buy the games we only support what we don't agree with.

I fall into the first category. I was very interested in buying Diablo 3 having played both 1 and 2 numerous times over. However, as a
    single player type gamer, and a person that doesn't have the best internet connection or desire to socialize I find it disheartening that few companies allow me to play games on my terms. Diablo 3 is just the next installment of software hating customers like me.

Always online DRM is something I'm just not going to support. A grind game where users can pay to advance faster. Both things I just can't and won't support. I still haven't bought Diablo 3. And unfortunately I never will. Bye Blizzard. You now are a member of the ranks of EA, Activision (yes I already knew you were part of them) and Ubisoft. Take your games and go screw yourself with them.

I'm buying and playing Torchlight 2 and other games developed for me as a consumer.
  47. May 17, 2012
    Coming from a die hard Diablo 2 fan, this is the worst excuse for a Diablo game that could have been created. I was expecting graphics similar to or atleast reminiscent of any of the Diablo games, but no it isn't. It's a watered down cartoonish shadow of Diablo that I may have enjoyed when I was 10 years old and that's if I had never played a Diablo game before. They took out everything I loved. I.E The skills you had to EARN, the character diversity, the amazing dialogue and the bloody graphics almost rusty style of graphics that I personally loved. This is a HORRIBLE EXCUSE OF A GAME. DO NOT BUY IT. Expand
  48. May 17, 2012
    The service is very **** at Asia.
    When I got the game. I have never connect to battle net steady.
    I think Blizzard do a wrong thing. It estimate fail at Asia.
  49. May 17, 2012
    Even more repetitive than the others with the REALLY ANNOYING DRM... Disappointing... At least the others were somehow more captivating than this one...
  50. May 18, 2012
    By far the largest joke in gaming history. This company only cares about profit, to the point they will force you to play this game *online* when it's a single player game... Why does this matter soo much? Because their whole reason for forcing online play is their "Real Money Auction House" which they have taxed 3-ways!!! Thats right, you might be able to sell something online, via their system, but Blizzard will make a huge profit off each sell.

To make matters worse, they REFUSE to support any sort of competitive PvP system, meaning NO LADDER, NO TOURNAMENTS, NO RANKINGS, NO PvP AT RELEASE!!!

I give this game a 1 out of 10!
  51. May 18, 2012
    Wife and husband play together: Other remarks: 1. No real character customization. She kind of wondered why we had to put points into our chars when really there was no place to put them but what the game chose for us. This was weird. It didn't really seem like you were creating "your" character but creating one already chosen for you. This was a real downer. 1b. Skill switcher - Sorry this didn't fly well either. We have to open up a window to switch skills and select a new one. We don't have a box where we could put them on hot keys. "Why can't I just put my skills in some bar" she said.

2. Difficulty - As mentioned before the game is very easy. I can't believe how simple it is to move around and kill mobs. I clearly remember d2 being harder with more monsters and harder "in ground" dungeons. I told my wife that she would have to beat the game in order to make it more difficult , and then "replay" the whole content again. She kind of laughed at that and said "no thanks." ie replaying the content to get a better challenge for her didn' really go over well.
  52. May 18, 2012
    Fanboys, you do not simply rate "playing" with the product, you rate the whole product!

As a product, Diablo 3 is a letdown in multiple ways. These include:
    1) Buggy installations - numerous errors such as "Incorrect Installation Options Selected" when no such thing happened, and install crashes or freezes at 1%/5%/etc. 2) Lacking infrastructure to actually facilitate gameplay on opening
    day. Do you know how many "Diablo 3 Opening" parties were a let down? What exactly is the point of a "midnight opening" to be among the first to get the game, when you cant actually play it? And all in the name of anti-piracy when in fact the game has already been cracked (less than 48 hours later) and pirated "offline" versions are available through "other channels"!
    3) Laggy solo play - high ping times persisting days after launch, and many people just living far away from servers (i.e. outside of the US and Europe) is an aweful experience
    4) Ridiculous, opportunistic, and greedy price tag - it is no way worth what its being sold for, and this company simply took advantage of its fans. Smart fans will realise this, and they wont appreciate it. Then the actual game:
    1 point for nice music. That is all. 1) Graphics - the game reminds me of Monkey Island by Lucasarts. Its so cartoony and does its best to not fit in with the atmosphere that its trying to creat by the story and the videos - there is a huge disconnect here
    2) Difficulty - its retard-friendly. Normal difficulty is a joke.
    3) Interface - minimal character customisation. Things just unlock. Minimal thinking required. 4) Random Map Resets every day? omg
    5) Voice Acting - lol - another joke
    6) Real Money Auction House - profiteering and legalised 'cheating'. Performance can now be based less on effort and more on your credit card....
    7) PVP - not released with the release :P lol again!

This game is a fail. Diablo 2 is superior from an "atmosphere" perspective. Its superior from the perspective of "actually being able to play" too! Some might argue that Diablo 3 is its own game, and thats fine. However its a game that came with alot of expectation strapped to it, and has overall not lived up to the hype....it hasnt even come close to be honest. For a game that has been in development for so long, by such a big developer, you would be forgiven for thinking that maybe some fans had gotten tired of waiting and strung what we have here together themselves in their spare time. You definitely dont expect this kind of release from the mighty Blizzard! The company that only has 3 well-recognised brands, because all of them have (until now) been totally epic! Well folks, it looks like the beginning of the end for Blizzard is here. Very, very, dissapointed. Have actively persuaded people to spend their money in better ways.
  53. May 18, 2012
    Everyone should avoid this monstrosity at all costs. You have been warned. Blizzard should not be allowed to profit on this nonsense. Just because of the name, they figure they can half ass this and still make money. Guys, we should boycott this.
  54. May 18, 2012
    Do yourself a favor and play a demo of this, or go to a friend's place to try it before you buy. I wish I had. I feel like Blizzard has stolen $60 from me, the graphics are ho hum, the story line is old and boring, and the action is totally BLAH. If anyone knows how I could get my money and time back from this experience, please let me know. Have all the great game designers been squelched at these big companies? Where is the fun and innovations I use to associate with big title releases? Expand
  55. May 18, 2012
    There are far many games worse than D3, but $60 for this is absolutely a travesty. Graphics not great, audio pretty weak, and when playing you know that it's not worth even $30 so it makes the game that much worse. Everyone has said enough already, but don't buy this game now.
  56. May 18, 2012
    Lackluster graphics, game play, story, and skill trees. DRM to play a single player game? What are we paying for then? HUGE disappointment. If you want to own it, pirate it. You don't get what you pay for.
  57. May 18, 2012
    What is the point of buying a game if you can't even play it? I saved up for it, just to play by myself. I'm not a big multiplayer user, so I bought it for the singleplayer. Turns out, it doesn't matter. I can't play it without being online, which is horrible since I don't always have internet. Also: Error 37.
  58. May 19, 2012
    I would give 8.5 if you could play offline, but I have to keep stopping every moment, either because of bugs or long maintenance of own blizzard, this type of treatment the client can not get away
  59. May 19, 2012
    For the first thing - i want to mention that i didnt experienced any problam with the servers disconnecting and i really dont mind about the DRM system. After few hours playing this game i have only 1 word to say - DISAPPOINTMENT.
    If u played diablo 1, and diablo 2 and ur a diablo fan? dont think about playing this game because it will just make u angry.
    it seems blizzard neglected all the
    good and unique features that made diablo II LoD one of the best games in history.
    1. No customize Skills + Artibbutes - this is really poor and ruine the game experience for me. blizzard aimed this game for 6 years old who dont need to think. u cant longer do customize and special chars (for exemple enchantress bear sorc on d2 :p).
    2. Party groups of only 4 ppl - really shame then instead of moving foward and making the game experience of interacting and playing with other people they move back to only 4 people partys.
    3. No game list like diablo 2- all the games are randomize and u cant enter a game for trading like on diablo 2.
    4. The trading experience is really bad now- u dont longer can have the great feeling of the trading in diablo 2 (trading low items junk for medium junk. medium junk into better items etc)- i remember i used to spend many nights by only trading junk to get better items.
    5. NO more world PVP feature - i wasnt a big fan of it but it was fun to duel people on world pvp, now u can only do WoW style pvp arena which is good but they neglected world pvp which was fun.
    In conclusion, blizzard had 12 years to make the Diablo III and they wasted all this time of making a poor WoW 2. Diablo II is a game who stand the test of time and is still largly played by many people around the world this days, when diablo III in my opinion doesnt even stand the test of present time. its a truly sad day for diablo game series fans. take care.
  60. May 19, 2012
    The worst let down of all time... The story is mediocre, there is no challenging gameplay, it takes 4 days to completely max out your character for what that is even worth since you don't get to choose anything and everyone's characters are exactly the same, level cap is 60. They basically took out everything that made it fun. It is no longer a dungeon crawler, as expansive levels and have been replaced by one room caves, i'm not sure any of the maps ever even change since everything is pretty much in the same place.... The graphics are way less than acceptable... The real problem though is the leveling system you can't choose any skill points, spells or anything about your character other than their name, on top of that the cap is 60 and it takes no time to get there after the first difficulty your level thirty minimum.. Diablo 2 was a challenging game it took for ever to get to level 90 and above and that is what made it fun the game is about leveling and loot it doesn't work without both parts... turns out to be like thanks i'm level 60 now great that took 4ish days i guess i could start a new character but since it took so little time to get here is this even fun at this point. I really loved the idea of RMAH but once again what value do any items have if every eight-year-old and their mom can make it to the level cap without any effort, its certainly instant gratification for people who hate actually accomplishing things. Torchlight was a much better developed game and i'm sure its budget was null in comparison to Diablo 3's. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS GAME IS THAT BLIZZARD HAS RUN OUT OF GAMES TO RUIN AT THIS POINT. Expand
  61. May 20, 2012
    Extremely expensive game with poor graphics and a bad story. It requires constant connection to the internet to play and the servers are always busy/down.
  62. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a new player to Diablo franchise or even to Blizzard games, I didn't really know what to expect. I only knew it is about fighting monsters, gathering loot and so on. The way gameplay is made is kinda... weird, to be honest. First you obtain an account on so-called battle.net, then you use it to log-in in game. After you do it, monster cards begin to appear, each in nice rectangular frame and labelled with name like "error 37" or so. They also have a nice flavor text. If they appear it means that you have logged too slow and the monster has won. There is quite a variety of enemies, varying in effects and how quickly they kill. The 37 is most common one. 10001 tends to spawn along with 3000008. 12 is a fun one, requires the player to change his "build" in options menu. If the player manages to kill the monster, they can create a character (which is werid, shouldn't it be done BEFORE the actual fight?), and they can take it to fight with other cards. I have yet to beat 3004 and 3006, those are nasty. Balance is weird. 33 is unbeatable. 37 is very common one, easy to beat with typing quick enough. 300008 is rare and weak. I would have nothing against the number indicating how powerful is the encountered mob. 33 is close to 37 and yet they are completely diffrent.

Overall I am not sure if I like this novel approach to card-based gameplay, but hey, thats Blizzard. Those guys surely know how to make a good game. In the end, however, the point of a review is to tell how much reviewer likes the game and its particular aspects. Gameplay gets 2 big, bad 2 for me - unique for sure, but in the end boring. Quite time consuming, too, and I don't feel any sense of progress, though, beating a 10001 feels good for sure!

Graphics are nice, there is an animated background. It does not fit the fighting errors theme, I think something more related to computers would be better. The same can be said about music. 6 for both - Nice, but not fitting.

It is said that the game has some form of multiplayer - I don't really understand how to use it.

So, in the end: unique card game which is quite hard to understand properly. Massive flaws in balance of particular cards, also gets boring after some time.
  63. May 20, 2012
    As an Australian player, this game is nearly unplayable. I'm stuck with a ping that averages 600, which makes combat sluggish, ugly, and playing multi-player with friends causes severe lag spikes which are absolutely disgusting.

Blizzard used to be a company I had a bit of respect for, but their abuse of everyone that isn't American paints them as a bunch of elitist pigs that the world
    would be better without.

I mean, EA included Australian servers for SWTOR, but Blizzard? Blizzard are now scum of the gaming world. **** Blizzard.
  64. May 20, 2012
    A really great game... if it was playable. Great graphics, great optimization, great story-telling, awesome atmosphere and gameplay...
    but horrid on-line experience (can't connect, server under maintenance, horrid lag spike...)
    Blizzard knew people were already upset about the lack of an off-line mode, yet they failed to deliver a stable on-line play.
  65. May 20, 2012
    what kind of company makes a game and forces single player to connect to a server and then take the European servers down at peak time on a Sunday when most people will want to play?
    Hopefully a company that very soon will be going insolvent when it loses its fan base. Let's hope Torchlight 2 do better than this and take all Blizzard's customers.
  66. ran
    May 20, 2012
    This game is just ridiculous I cant understand how could it be that you not only need to connect to the internet in order to play singelplayer, but it also BLOCK you from using it because too many people around the world, simultaneously, are using the same product. Blizzard is actually defying the terms of the game- the costumer pay, and then play. In this case, the costumer not only paying more then any other game, but also get a limited access for his game. Awfull. Expand
  67. May 20, 2012
    Unplayable connections, low graphics and ridiculous leveling system make this game sickening. Blizzard has lost a customer for life. No more. The DRM systems fails on every level and so has Blizzard.
  68. HiD
    May 20, 2012
    I can hardly connect to the game, and when I can I just experience insane lags... The game is unplayable..even is solo, because of the need ot be online in order to play the game...
  69. May 21, 2012
    When I heard Diablo 3 was coming out I got excited. I have played this series since the beginning. But having played it now for about a week I must say this game is an extreme disappointment. I'll lay the pro's out first, not that there are many. First the new classes are interesting, new twists on old ideas. They kept the random generated maps and items which I also like. The story seems solid as well.

Ok on to the con's. First and foremost why on earth the devs decided to make a single player game require online connectivity to play is beyond me. Whats worse is the servers keep crashing, and I've experienced lag, which has killed me on numerous occasions. And its not like I live in the sticks with a shoddy connection either. This is where random maps become an issue, more than once I've been three quarters done with a level only to lose a connection and have to restart the whole thing on a new map.

Next major issue, they dumbed down the leveling so much, this no longer feels like an rpg, more like an action arcade game from ten years ago. Call me old fashioned but I like attribute points, and I like assigning them they way I want to. Its an interesting concept to be able to change skills at random, but honestly I don't even do that that much. Also, why are rewards for achievements new banner decorations? I don't get to use the banner in game.

Next is the items, the fact that nothing has any resale value essentially means I only bother picking up magical items. Even those I just pickup en mass since I no longer need to worry about portal scrolls. Again, that was part of the rpg element, managing your scrolls. Speaking of scrolls, or lack there of, why even bother having rare unidentified objects. It then just becomes a hassle waiting to identify something. If we want to make a game five year olds can play, why not at least make it streamlined and have everything identified. Oh and potion management and health globes, both useless. Why there is a time limit on health potions is again beyond me. I have a stack of no less then thirty potions at any one time simply because I cant use them. Then every third enemy drops a health globe anyway so whats the point? When I don't need health there's plenty, when I do need it I can't use it. Also the merchants are useless, their good seem to be chronically below my level. The only time I actually go to one is to repair my equipment. Even the blacksmith, who I try and keep a few levels ahead of me, is weak in the gear department.

Lastly the enemies are somewhat disappointing. They either seem to easy, or too difficult with no real sense of balance. In fact, the only boss I've even had a bit of trouble with was the the first, Belial. After that they all die way to quickly. I've had more trouble just getting swamped by waves of regular monsters. Overall, while the game does have its moments, its just too frustrating and simple to be that recommendable. Blizzard could fix most of the issues if they care, but we will see. If I finish the game it will probably be the last time I play it.
  70. May 22, 2012
    As many of these reviews were made on release date which was, to be modest, a terrible launch day, I feel it is only fair to give the game an honest review that isn't smothered in contempt and raging anxiety. Diablo 3 is a DECENT game, it's not good, and itâ
  71. May 21, 2012
    I purchased this game mostly to play single player. I can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that Blizzard programmed by making a battle.net connection REQUIRED for single player. Bravo, after years of "polishing" I can not play because of your greed. The servers are so overwhelmed I can not log into the single player game. Total BS.
  72. May 24, 2012
    Sorry Blizzard, you know I love you but I have yet to play a session without getting disconnected with some sort of error message. That I could have lived with for a few days, but you've now had well over a week to fix it and it actually seems to be getting worse.

I took a break of 2 days and today I decide to give it another go and got an Error 3007 after 3 minutes! If you're going to
    put such intrusive DRManti-piracyanti-cheat measures into a game in the future, try to make sure it doesn't screw over half your PAYING CUSTOMERS who have no intention of hackcheatetc!! And yes I absolutely will give the game a poor score due to this because it has thus far ruined the whole experience for me.... all I want to do is have an hour or 2 of single player goodness yet most MMO releases are better than this. And no I'm not going to start rebooting my modem and opening random ports to try and solve this because I have plenty of other multiplayer games and even MMOs that don't require such measures. Expand
  73. May 24, 2012
    My first review on Metacritic. I had to give Diablo 3 a 1 out of 10 based on two reasons, the lack of offline gameplay and the recent Blizzard statement. Blizzard released a glowing press statement about the record sales figures of Diablo 3 with this paragraph included. 'we're especially proud of the gameplay feedback we've received from players worldwide'. It must be nice to be this intentionally ignorant of how customers feel about the DRM measures they have had forced down their throats. The only option if you want to be free of this type of business decision is to not buy the game. (or look to the hackers to come up with a crack for off line single players) Unfortunately we all bought Diablo 3 anyway, knowing that the DRM was in the bargain. I guess it took buying it to truly understand how terrible the DRM is. Well, once bitten twice shy. Blizzard's attitude coupled with awful DRM and a just about above average game equals a 1/10 for me. It is a shame that gaming is hitting these all time lows... Expand
  74. May 25, 2012
    Disappointed. I played solo and the game crashed because of disconnected. Everyday. WTF is this ? DRM for honest players ? I can't create LAN party, I can't join friends directly, I must give my login to play everytime.
    The game is nice but I can't have fun with this, I give a 1.
  75. Jun 16, 2012
    I've been playing this game for more than 100+ hours now and I really have to say that in it's entirety, I hate it. Not in it's core content and but in it's implementation. Don't get me wrong. It is still fun to play and retains the same dungeon-crawling, loot-grabbing, clickity-click click goodness. But is that really all there is to it? I've played D1/D2 and have finished and enjoyed those multiple times but what made those games stand out and acquired a cult following seems to have been lost in D3. I'm not even gonna mention the DC's and server stuff because those are fixable, in fairness to Blizzard. Upon playing this game a lot because of it's "fundamentally" fun gameplay, and I use the term loosely, I can't help myself in the back of my mind feeling cheated. It seems that this "Always-Online" thing is forced upon the consumer to make sure that their asses are covered for delivering an unpolished product. Think of it as ordering delivery for a pizza. They send it to your house, without most of the toppings and the delivery guy occasionally puts toppings on it as you notice it while eating. Terrible.

They also mentioned the online setting is to promote coop and to fight gold-sellers and outside seeling from third-party sites and what-not. But they have a real currency auction house for Christ-sakes, they want you to spend your money on them, not on some god-forbidden site where they have no share from the earnings.

The way the loot is spread and supposedly "randomized", somehow I felt cheated. I have 3 level 60 characters and you don't get what you need, ever. You get crap or what other classes need. Hence me making 3 Chars. Seriously, the AH has been my friend and I couldn't have survived without it. How will I have gold? Yes, grinding. Now, I don't mind grinding but when you're digging through the ground with a teaspoon to find an ever so slightly bigger teaspoon to dig with, well you get the picture. They got you playing for a long time and almost always never getting a feeling of satisfaction.

Maybe I'm a noob, maybe you're the greatest player in D3, but one thing is clear. D3 is made with business in mind. They don't care really care about you, all they care is you clocking a million hours doing the same things so they can get more of your money. From the bottom of my best judgment and honesty, I give this game a measly 1/10 for its entirety. After all, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Nuff' said. Thanks for reading. HTH.
  76. Jun 19, 2012
    Not much more than a slot machine.

Note. In games, I always play single player campaigns. Rarely play online multiplayer (never played WoW or any other mmo). Up till now really rated Blizzard. I finished the game with all class (although normal difficulty) and uninstalled the game after reaching level 60 with a monk class and 25-30 with all other (I don't know why I kept going really,
    I really wanted the game to be fun, I guess I didn't want to feel like I threw $80 away - probably the same reason I am writing this)

-Gameplay -
    Poor balance, starts too easy on normal, then hell champs are unbeatable without buying your way through.
    Loot is clearly scripted to be below your level or for a different class, most drops are useless (hatred on sword...), I refuse to go on the online auction to buy items when I want to play solo however the game force you to do that. In that case there is no way to progress other than abusing the AI, avoiding combat or restarting the game to generate easier champs.
    There is no real skill involved in beating enemies, point and click really (that or die, restart, die when the enemy champs combo you without any way to react -e.g. paralyse + insta kill area spell)
    Poor dungeons layout, no sense of exploring, spend most of the time backtracking (items that increase your speed are a must) with little else happening.
    The first two chapters are long enough and don't feel as linear, has some interaction with the environment (only chapter 1 really), however you will notice a big drop in quality for the last 2. I hated doing the 3rd one -feels like a really long corridor toward chapter 4 - and the last chapter although having nice visuals is really too short compared to the others. I am amazed that the story is so short and linear for a games that's been in dev for so long. It's not as if blizz had to start from scratch.
    Characters are quite different although one quickly realise their skills are fairly pointless at higher level. And Bliz nerfed a couple of abilities that were used too much apparently (some might call it balancing to me it' killing some of the fun aspect to make it blend. If I want to run set a set of skills I will even if they are not as powerfull as other combo, it's up to me to decide but then again the problem is with the online balance. As shame really in other rpg games it would be up to me to decide if I wanted to change my gaming experience by applying a balance patch or not.

-Story-
    Nothing special but nothing too bad there. Very linear and so predictable, not great fantasy there but I guess the story in this game is secondary, a shame you have to go through it again every time you restart the game at higher level of difficulty (i.e. no random levels to explore) -Re playability -
    Nothing here, no random dungeons (clearly the same map with a chance of bringing 2/3 scripted events (i.e. small cellar, merchant) from a pool of ~10), I played the same story with all characters, brought the monk to 60 the games hoping it would get better however it got boring after the 2nd replay
    Adding to that random server maintenance (it took an afternoon off work to play and got very frustrating not being able to play a solo game).

- Other -
    Too many hacked account doesn't inspire confidence in Blizzard. for one I see this as a solo game. Blizz has created the security issue by going online and clearly has poor server problems. The game is clearly designed around the auction house instead of what happens ingame.
  77. Jun 21, 2012
    A generally well made game which has failed to meet many expectations from the community, based on previous experience with the franchise. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of end-game content, which has left many more dedicated fans restless and unhappy (hence the bad reviews here).
  78. Jul 16, 2012
    The game has good content for early levels, slick graphics, but a very unsatisfying grind. An essential part of the Diablo franchise is itemization: the idea that finding and identifying loot is fun and exciting. This is not the case here. Loot quality and drop rates were significantly lowered in an attempt to curb its in-game economy. The result is incredibly repetitive gameplay as you re-run the same acts over and over for the minuscule chance to upgrade a single piece of gear.

Blizzard's attempts to appeal to a more casual gaming fanbase has resulted in much "dumbing down" compared to Diablo II. Skill points are now automatically allocated for you, and although there are seemingly multiple skill builds you can try out, the nature of the endgame forces most players to follow one or two builds in order to survive and progress.

Fighting enemies and clearing mobs is more dependent on the quality of your items rather than skills such as maneuvering or spell usage. Certain mobs contain random affixes that grant them special abilities; while this is an interesting concept there are certain combinations of affixes that are insurmountable, requiring numerous deaths to overcome, or restarting the game. You'll often come across monsters with strange hitboxes, able to kill you from 10 feet away even though you fled in the nick of time. The game also punishes dying, having quadrupled repair costs in one of the patches; a game should not dictate your style of play, nor should it punish you for being adventurous in exploring and combat. Bosses are more interesting, but come with an "enrage timer", essentially a countdown to doom should you not kill them fast enough. Why should you be told how to play?

Items are boring and lend to boring build diversity. The important stats are your primary, vitality, all resistance, life on hit, and critical damage. Stacking lesser stats will only get you hinder your progression as you'll probably fail to make a dent in any late-game monster. Legendary and unique set items are the rarest to obtain, and are mostly crap; the majority of them have inferior stats compared to magic and rare items; Blizzard has already acknowledged their **** and promises to buff them "Soon".

The game pushes you to use the Auction House (both Gold and Real Money). As a solution to Diablo II's lack of a formal trading system, the AH provides a quick way to upgrade items without having to spend time fighting hordes of monsters. Unfortunately numerous gold farmers, AH bots, and rampant item flippers (people who buy low, sell high) have caused the in-game economy to go wack, making top-tiered item prices exorbitantly high, and mediocre-to-good items unprofitable/unsellable due to high supply and low demand. On top of that, Blizzard takes a 15% cut on every transaction, and a $1 cut on top of that for Real Money transactions.

The game is meant to be played CO-OP, but many issues discourage doing so. Magic find is a vital stat that gets split among party members, punishing you for having good gear while teaming up with those who don't. Monster HPs and damage are increased by fixed percentages when you play with others; either everyone carries their own weight or you'll all suffer in combat. What happens here is friends will join your game, sometimes slightly underleveled/undergeared, and cause all sorts of headaches for your entire party because of the increased difficulty. After having this happen repeatedly you'll not only want to play by yourself (you have a personal follower when playing solo), and you'll shun friends by telling them to get better at the game before playing with you. Neither is conducive to good CO-OP gameplay.

Gameplay aside, the storyline is passable. After one playthrough there's no reason to rewatch the cinematics or click through all the forced dialogue.

The final nail in the coffin is Blizzard's utter lack of respect for its community and fanbase. A glimpse at the official D3 forums (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/) will show the numerous threads of players quitting, complaining about the game's difficulty/economy/itemization, and whatnot. You can take this with a grain of salt, but the amount of negativity and outcry surely hints at how terrible this game is. Threads are constantly censored and deleted without notice; well thought out posts giving constructive criticism are mostly ignored. Instead, mods will respond instantaneously to those having issues depositing $ into their Bnet account (and delete your thread should you try pointing this out).

This is the most infuriating game I've played in a long time; Blizzard has tarnished their reputation with this ill-conceived, ill-tested piece of **** Jay Wilson and his greedy team deserve to rot in hell for destroying such a storied franchise. Don't waste your money here.
  79. Jul 20, 2012
    Diabl-WoW 3 : When a great game becomes a great chore. Grind grind grind. Well, grind again! Faster, you need money to buy stuff and you can sell stuff to make money. Money, money,money, bots, everywhere! Oh wait, where the fun again? Fun? What are you talking about, this is not a game this is a business. Forget about deep character devellopement and stiry, no time for that! Grind grind grind festival baby. Ah well, might just go back to D2 for some good fun. Waited all these years for that. What a shame. Randomized dungeons? Are you kidding me!? Not even close to D2. I played about 30 hours, Ive had some fun but not much. Time to go back to Indie Games. Big companies dont get it anymore, its all about money. Expand
  80. Jul 21, 2012
    The game doesn't reward you at all. You have to play like 50 hours just to get a decent item you can sell for 20$. This is below the minimum wage in China. Blizzard want to turn their player base into a slave labor, so they can make out like a bandit. This game is work, it's not a game it's work.
  81. Jul 21, 2012
    After waiting over a decade for this game I could not of been more disappointed. The story is short, the grinding is long, viable builds are nerfed as quickly as people find them, you have to buy your high level gear in the Real Money Auction House, and gold/item farmers run the Auction Houses. It's a money grab by blizzard, and just a travesty of a game.
  82. Aug 5, 2012
    Most disappointing game I have ever played. I cannot recommend this game in its current state. Its fun going from level 1-60, but the end-game is the most terrible idea in gaming yet. The game engine purrs and combat is fun. I even enjoy the new build system. However, in the end the game feels like a scam. Every patch that has come out since release has made the game worse. You use to be able to find gear when you opened a chest but now that doesn't happen. You used to be able to die without paying ridiculously high repair costs, but now the game is nearly unplayable unless you farm for hours a day for gold or buy gold using real money in the RMAH (real money auction house). The drop rate of items is based of the AH(auction house with in game gold)/RMAH, so sometime in the middle of hell mode using the AH becomes nearly mandatory. By the time you get to inferno mode you MUST use the AH to progress, because the drop rates are abysmal. In inferno mode, with a level requirement of 60, monsters will most often drop gear less than 60 that is useless. The gear that is level 60 normally has useless stats that no one would ever want. People who succeed in this game use exploits in-game or in the AH. The game itself is filled with boters who exploit the AH and farm for gold. This makes gold prices on the AH ridiculously high, and making the game nearly unplayable for the average player. The abysmal drop rates, combined with the high repair costs all point players to the RMAH. The drop rate issue, along with the repair costs, and the RMAH have ruined the end-game. The game feels pay-to-win and this will only get worse once PVP is released (there is NO PVP currently) when people will pay $1000.00 to deck out their characters. The game feels more like a scam for your money than a form of entertainment. All my friends who were playing on release who have stopped playing. Besides all of the above reasons, cooperative (co-op) play is discouraged in the end-game as well. Even though its easy to join a game with your friends the massive HP boost the monsters get (110% per player joining) makes it more efficient to play solo. They used to get a massive damage boost too (which made it absolutely impossible to play co-op) luckily they removed that. However, there is a five buff limit in the game which a person could reach easily on solo mode. This means that the buffs you're friends give you will either cancel out a buff you wanted to have or have no effect. Likewise, any public game you join in inferno mode will 99% of the time end up facing a nearly impossibly randomly generated elite pack and thus dying over and over again... again increasing repair costs and making you farm lower content for gold to continue playing or paying real money for gold. There are more reasons I have no included like lack of PVP, consistent lag issues, no off-line mode, lack of customization, and lack of real randomization but I'll stop here. Basically, this game feels like a $60 scam to try to rip you off of more of your money. I have no confidence that they will improve the game. Look into other forms of entertainment for your $60. This is not the sequel to Diablo 2 we have been waiting for; It is the most disappointing game of 2012. Expand
  83. Jul 10, 2012
    Very Bad Story
    Capitalism RMAH/GoldAH
    Skillsystem? I cant find them
    Bugs,Bugs, BUGS!
    Cloud Gaming (Blizzard can patch from server without Real Patch)
    Dropsystem,Itemsystem: So bad design

I give 0 in 10 points and say this game is the biggest disappointment in videogame history.
  84. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is really mediocre. The mandatory connection to play is a rape. Game play wise is a dumbed down version on Diablo 2. RMAH is a joke too. Stay away from this game.
  85. Jul 18, 2012
    Taken by itself, out of the Diablo "universe" this game would still not be a "blockbuster." But it has/had big shoes to fill and it isn't filling them very well.
    From a very poorly constructed story-line to it's basic and simplistic character management, this game just isn't really all that fan after a few hours and has very little replay value to me. The loot drops generally aren't
    upgrades, and the fighting mechanics are pretty weak. Add to that Blizz's new business model to make a single player capable game still REQUIRE an internet connection, along with their not-so-quiet desire for the player to use the Real Money Auction House (an auction house where you buy equipment with real money, which Blizz gets a percentage every-time you buy or sell something off their. This game just feels like it's another money grab whose only success can be measured by how much they can make on a weekly or monthly basis. 1 million players at 60 bucks a game, is 60 million. Blizz says they sold over 5 million copies. That's over 300 million dollars. Yes that isn't enough; they want to nickel and dime the players too. Just a poor idea from a very very rich company.
    That said, it does have some redeeming qualities. It can be fun at times, for short periods of time. But the lasting appeal is really only going to be for those who sell things for real money, and those who are huge fans of Blizzard. If you played any of the previous versions of Diablo, however, buy at your own risk. Most of the "veteran" Diablo players are very unhappy - and understandably so.
  86. Jul 24, 2012
    List of bad things about D3: Loot drops are horrible 99.8% of the time Game is forces you to repeat the same content over and over and over Auction house makes farming seems pointless Game forces you to re-watch cutsceneses and re-listen to dialogues over and over Game forces you to wear all resist No build diversity Random affix generation creates stupidly irritating combinations on elites
    Game is hacked
    Game is run by bots
    Economy is ruined
    Latency issues
    Game is full of scammers
    Co-op is pointless
    Forums will ban you for negative responses
    Blizzard has lost peoples transactions on RMAH
    No endgame goals. Nothing to strive for.
    Pay to win
    Story is boring
    Too difficult unless you spend real money
    Spam bots have hijacked the chat channels
    Blizzard is slow, and unprofessional keepin the community informed
    Technical errors, login problems, disconnects
    No way to reclaim lost or stolen items/$
    Bosses have worse drops than elites
    No skill points
    Skill UI no good
    AH UI no good
    No way to conveniently swap gear
    DRM - No offline play
    Broken gameplay mechanics
    No lasting appeal
    User feels empty and robbed at the end of the experience
    Jay Wilson
    Activision
    Greed
  87. May 15, 2012
    I'd give this a 10, but the launch problems and mandatory login for single player knocked it down a peg. You can mix and match your skills and runes, so no worries about terrible permanent builds and rerolling as a result. The graphics have a beautiful, watercolor style. Smooth animations, though weapons aren't included for some classes (Monk). Consistent performance from solo to group play. Grouping up is a cinch, but we're left with decades-old comm choices. Just the same old numpad gestures and chat channels. Solid voice acting and powerful score, though the story is not as important as the rest of the game's pieces. The game started with a stumble, but it feels like smooth sailing now. Expand
  88. May 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The leveling of characters through 60 in normal, nightmare, and hell modes is quite enjoyable, which is enough to keep players occupied for many hours. Unfortunately this game falls short in the end game, story, itemization, and lack of offline play.

The story itself is uninspired with terrible dialogue. Anyone who was a fan of the previous games will literally cringe at the death of Deckard Cain, who is killed by a character attempting to get him to reconstruct a magic sword for her master. How exactly was he going to do that while dead? Why does she leave without the broken sword allowing him to reconstruct the sword? Why did this scene only warrant terrible dialogue and no real cut scene? Why does she abduct Tyraal instead of Cain? It makes no sense, and like the rest of the plot, reads like it was written by a 12 year old. Inferno mode is tedious and not fun. It consists of massive damage boosts to all mobs resulting in 1 shots to most characters attempting to enter it. Act 1 is playable because the zombies which dominate the act are slow moving, but upon entering act 2 be prepared for constant and unavoidable deaths no matter how well you play unless you spend tons of time farming or pay to win in the new real money Auction House, which allows players to turn an already paid for game into a micro transaction game. This feels like a way to milk the players for cash after they already spent 60 dollars on a retail product.

The statistics for your character are poorly explained in the interface, and some of them are not even accurately displaying what occurs in the tooltip, resulting in players gearing the wrong stat. Along with the poor explanations of statistics the itemization for legendary and set items is so terrible that most players choose common blue drops for weapons instead of legendaries. It makes the attempt to acquire gear feel boring and stale because the most rare drops are not even close to the most powerful. Players should not have the best chance of finding good gear when they look through their bags and read all of the stats on their found items, they should be excited as soon as they see the color of the very rare drops on their screen.

One last problem is the lack of an offline mode. This game could easily be played as a single player game and the previous Diablo games from 12-16 years ago allowed players to still experience the game without their internet connection being active. This removal of a key feature is obviously done in an attempt to prevent piracy, but is done so at the expense of their own paying customers.

If you want a good hack and slash leveling experience and to try out the customization of all 5 character classes then you'll have fun with this game, but in its current state the vast majority of players will not want to play this game for more than a few months once they've had their fill of the overly punishing and more importantly tedious end game.

Enjoyable leveling and character customization but poorly designed end game, bland and poorly executed story, incorrect itemization choices and explanation of statistics, and the removal of offline play hold this game back from being anything but just another fun but flawed game. This should not have been the case from a company as highly regarded as Blizzard.
  89. May 17, 2012
    Causalized game with too short campaign, server side singleplayer, it's ridiculous. I've never heard before that you have to be in queue for a singleplayer game. This is just a milking of the franchise, go buy Torchlight 2 instead.
  90. May 25, 2012
    Terrible stoy and narration, one kid 5 yo would have done better (the same as with starcraft 2).
    Always online drm for single player in the most retarded thing ever done.
    A game built upon the shameful real money AH.
    Terrible graphics, I expecter A LOT more than the usual WOW art style.
    Gameplay wise is worse than Diablo 2 in many areas.
    Ridicolous price for a bad product like this.
  91. May 18, 2012
    Why did it take them so long to make this game? Diablo 3 is basically a rip-off of previous diablo games. All character models looks like taken from the previous blizzard games with 0 inovation, same about the enviroment and level design. The game is addictive because of the loot and auction house system but the game play is very repetitive right from the start.
  92. May 21, 2012
    After playing this for a while you could be forgiven for forgetting your playing Diablo 3 (not just for its lack of graphical enhancement) and think your playing the original, in fact I'm more a fan of it than this one. The dark creepy atmosphere is gone which is the major reason I loved the original Diablo. But then once you get THRASHED by lag in single player, yes even in single player you get reminded that those without internet connections cannot play the game because of this utterly stupid DRM that in place. I give diablo 3 a 6/10 for the simple fact It did deliver on taking on the classic parts of the originals and screwing them up mixing the original click like hell style of diablo 1 with some semi-thought out skill selection of diablo 2. however with all the diablo 3 I have played its been an utterly disappointing game, shops don't have anything worth buying, you spend thousands on crafting items at the blacksmith that you rarely find elsewhere and for the most part the fighting consists of GRRRRRRRRRRRR LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! Expand
  93. May 15, 2012
    I think I know why they didn't want to allow people to play single player without connecting to their servers. They must have been afraid no one would want to buy it if they tried it out first. The new style of the game is crap, the awesome dark mood of diablo 2 has been done away with and replaced by wow graphics and artistic style. People complained about this very often on blizzard forums, especially after trying the beta. Many suggestions were made on how to improve the game but went by ignored by the developers. They also went through and removed as much choice from the game as possible. Sure there were problems in the previous iterations of the game but the new developers did not handle them correctly. Expand
  94. May 26, 2012
    I have to play the game in compatibility mode (I have windows 64), I have trouble connecting to the servers, and there is no single player (what is there doesn't count since I have to be connected to the internet anyway). Fix your **** Blizzard. Give us LAN, give us singleplayer, give us what you used to when you were a good company.
  95. May 18, 2012
    I was a fan of Diablo, actually it was the first game i've played online and i was waiting Diablo 3 for many years. But what did i get? Copy of Dungeon Siedge III, LOL! Diablo has the same graphics and gameplay. DSIII is a pretty good game, but it was released a year ago...
    Take Dungeon Siedge III, add always-online DRM to it and terrible service and you'll get Diablo 3.
  96. Jun 8, 2012
    Seriously? What the **** is this? Blizzard go eat **** II is even more funny. You waste 13 years for this crap? Come on ! I hate you Blizzard.Seriously? What the **** is this? Blizzard go eat **** II is even more funny. You waste 13 years for this crap? Come on ! I hate you Blizzard.
  97. May 17, 2012
    This is a disgrace. Would have though Blizzard of all companies could have handled this well. Very disappointed. The customer service is crap. I mean what the hell, you can't change your character's server region when the game chooses the wrong for you in the beginning? FU blizzard. You deserve nothing from me anymore.
  98. May 26, 2012
    Had a great time playing this game with friends. It wasn't until I realized that the spread of items and the drop chance of getting something good was nearly non existent. It's also very depressing when the realization kicks in that in order to get good gear, you're forced to farm GOLD in order to BUY items from the auction house. Another failure of the auction house system is that because there are no gold dumps in game (after professions are maxed out), inflation is expected to rise at a ridiculous rate since people have nothing to spend their money on. Next, because people are more inclined to make real money instead of virtual gold, the best items are on the real money auction house, ruining the game for players wishing not to spend their real money on virtual items. Expand
  99. May 20, 2012
    I have to admit I've never played Diablo 1 or 2. Gave this a try because of all the hype and anticipation. Acquiring gear is certainly addictive, and the game isn't bad, but I just can't see why it merits so much hype, and such a hefty price. I picked up Torchlight when it came out, and this is almost the same game. And yes, I know Torchlight was a Diablo clone, but the difference is that Torchlight came out over 2 years ago, and cost a third of what Diablo 3 costs. And in some ways, Torchlight is a better game. Items seem to have a more profound effect, sound, music, and graphics have more character, and you have choices when you level up. The lack of persistent choices, and limitations on the number of active abilities, is particularly bewildering. Admitted, I'm still at a pretty early level, but it doesn't seem like these aspects will improve very much.

As for the cash store, it doesn't really bother me. After all, it's largely a single player game, so if someone wants to spend money on gear, it's no skin off my back. In fact, the idea of being able to sell stuff for real money is alluring. However, Blizzard keeps comparing the anticipated market to WoW, and I have trouble imagining a large market for items in a non-MMO. Acquiring top-level gear in an MMO is difficult, and by design, the game never ends so there is always a market. I don't foresee Diablo III being so infinitely playable, nor your achievements and gear being so visible and important to other players, so why would anyone spend money on it?
  100. May 15, 2012
    It is all about choices. Blizzard chose poorly: No offline mode, no staggered release, poorly updated customer service, and servers incapable of the capacity even on a Tuesday morning. Anytime I buy a game that I cannot play they get a zero, I will re-evaluate when I can play but this is your score for now Blizzard and you're decisions are why this review will get averaged in with the real review once the game actually releases. Poor choices Blizzard, very poor Expand
  101. May 17, 2012
    So, after finally getting through the multitude of errors stopping me from playing the game i payed for, the games a dud. It doesn't feel like diablo. I loved, and still love d2, so much i beat nightmare on hardcore. But you have no customization. Every other witch doctor has more or less the same skills as you, your choices simply do not matter.

Oh and heres a bit of news that will
    probably piss some people off. The always on DRM failed. So while i am unable to play the game due to internet outage, or "Scheduled downtime" The people who stole the game are playing singleplayer without blizzard hovering over their shoulder. First you try to rip me off selling me 3 copies of SC2, and now this? Whatever blizzard, you've lost a customer. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012