3.9

1. Nov 12, 2014
    A hollow sequel with a punishingly unfair economic system that makes no sense and takes the fun out of playing. How anyone takes that long to make a game worse eludes and confuses me.
  2. Nov 8, 2014
    In first place (in terms of gameplay) Diablo 3 has NOTHING in common with its "predecessor" more than the point & click isometric system. Diablo 2 is ARPG while Diablo 3 is Hack'n Slash, i.e. has banished all "RPG content" from the game, so at max level your character will be exactly the same of all characters in the entire game only differentiated in items like each kind of non-rpg games.

The game itself is absolutely CASUAL in each possible level, you can use all your skills at any time and they are not leveled, new features as paragon and such are only extensions of a boring and unrewarding game system in which if you "end" any possible progression obtaining certain items, that closes the opportunity to make builds playing with stats and skill trees...

But maybe the worse is its "DRM" system without offline mode, so you can't play it without a connection even in single player campaign, and of course you can't improve it with mods, so, you has a "successor" of a game with Offline, LAN and Online, but without two of its game modes, is one of the few times in which a successor has LESS than its predecessor...

I will not mention the "Pay2Win" from earlier version but shame of you Blizzard for convert the best ARPG franchise in a parody at each possible level, shame!

I finish my disclaimer pointing that its "expansion" (that is not an expansion but a different game, should be named "Diablo 4"), has changed almost ALL of the gameplay confirming (directly from Blizzard itself) that the original Diablo 3 sucks.

Blizzard, I will never forgive you, you can be awesome in the rest of your games but converting Diablo 3 in a MMO like WoW (and its "expansion" confirms this tendency) is a crime against the people who made this franchise famous.
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    This game is so flawed that it actually needed an auction house component to be playable. Since that component has been removed, the game is beyond redemption. It deserves the trash can. An embarrassment to the Diablo name.
  4. Oct 4, 2014
    Everything has been already said. Fortunately i have not bought this game, just played beta and in 1 free beta weekend and i knew this game is gonna be bad. Released 11 years after D2 LOD, and it's cut. It doesnt even contain half of old game features, and these are the most important things like skill tree, attributes points and so on. D3 is designed just to GRIND, just like WOW, you walk milion times to kill the same bosses and get items, yeah i know D2 was about this too, but there you could build characters in milion diffrent ways, playing sorcerer with two-handed axe if you want. This was freedom, And what about D3? Click on monster, kill it, get items and thats basicly it, nothing more. It maybe fun to play with friends, beat all levels and stuff, but what then? Uninstall. I have not been that disappointed in a loong loong time. Expand
  5. Sep 15, 2014
    Let me start by saying I made a Metacritic account JUST to make this review.

I've been a Diablo fan since the release of the original Diablo. I've been a Blizzard fan since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. I bought this game based on the opinions of fellow friends that seemed to have good taste in gaming. Many people praised it's incredible gameplay, awesome multiplayer action that would
    extend for days beyond it's release.

When I first started, the plot seemed exactly what I wanted. The hero is almost immediately involved, checking out the damage done by the meteor that hit the hall. As the cutscene continued, the dialogue kept losing credibility, lots of gaps were made in the unholy plot and the writing was definitely written for a 5th grade audience. These were things I kind of expected. I read a few of the books after playing diablo 2 and they were good when I was a teenager. But this plot? Jesus, don't get me started. I actually spent a good while laughing at the crummy dialogue.

Let me tell you this plot is pretty basic and extremely lackluster compared to the previous two. I beat the game, not once was I hooked or compelled by the story. I don't know how they managed to write such a mediocre plot within YEARS of development. This game is f*cking atrocious in far more aspects than just story, however.

Lets list the problems with the gameplay. First, the skill tree doesn't really require you to know what synergy is. It's practically non-existent. When I first started playing, the visuals were pretty astonishing, but that's not saying much. It looks like WoW that takes place in a graveyard/hell/whatever halloween-related **** setting. It wasn't even mildly horrific. So, then you go on to complete somewhat mundane quests, following the path that blizzard set out for you. The plot line is linear, but even MORE linear than the second! You literally have a check list of things they want you to do and procedurally go through them mindlessly. Normally, I can dig it. It's just the story left such a **** taste in my mouth that I got bored by the third act! I decided to push further, just to beat the game to give a holistic response to this game.

Also.. The BUTCHER? In DIABLO 3? A reused character? Laughable. At least the bosses in D2 were unique and interesting (not to mention, characterized to the setting..)

Items... Let's look at how uncharacterized the items are. Everything boils down to Damage, toughness, healing. This is the naive approach. However, it does delve deeper than that. What's with the ridiculous stat increases? It's unnecessary and makes it slightly harder to estimate. Loot is pointless. There's no dynamic character building because your character gets all the f*cking skills. What's the point? I hardly want to perfect ONE character, much less several different characters that have unique attributes (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T).

No chatrooms. Awesome. One of the most memorable things about Diablo/Starcraft is gone. How did this sound like a good idea? Just make it an option for people who want it.

No making games with actual NAMES to join. Another non-intuitive thing blizzard made by REMOVING features. When is removing features a feasible options to improve a game? It's almost comical.

I don't know if I covered everything about this game that I dislike. I think I threw in a few redeeming qualities but it wasn't much.

Bottom line is, I don't give two sh*ts whether or not your servers work the first time I log in or not if the gameplay is horrid. The fact people are rating this game on that is absolutely absurd to me.

Also, Blizzard fanboys are blinded to crappy games. Not my problem anymore.
  6. Sep 15, 2014
    My all time favorite game is Diablo 2. So coming from that game, I was expecting Diablo 3 to be something at least equally as amazing, or better. Well, as it turns out, it was a huge disappointment, even after giving it a BIG chance playing the game entirely from beginning to end. Here's what I noted:

CONS
    - The game is way too easy on normal. I did get very lucking finding magical
    items that gave me a combination of very high intelligence, vitality, and life regeneration (so my character was practically immortal and very strong). I think the inherent problem here is that the guys at Blizzard didn't think things through all the way and didn't correctly balance out character stats vs AI stats, making it extremely easy to kill AI monsters when increasing certain character attributes. In Diablo 2, even when finding very powerful weapons and armor, you still had a hard time killing bosses and such on Normal mode. In this game, I literally killed Diablo in 60 seconds.
    - Music was weak. Although a very minor detail to most, I feel like the soundtracks throughout gameplay in Diablo 2 were alot better and gave the game a very different feel, more mystical and creepy.
    - The cinematics weren't amazing (except for the one for the last Act, which was impressive). In Diablo 2, I remember feeling thrilled watching every cinematic for each Act.
    - I think it was so stupid not being able to use my equipped weapon. You're always forced to use your Left or Right mouse buttons for a specific skill you choose, and your weapon's damage is the determining factor of how much damage your skill does. That's stupid. You should be able to use your weapon freely, and it should have its own damage, and your skills should have their own damage and you should be able to use those separately.
    - I thought the characters looked pretty weak. I selected a wizard, and my character just looked like an adolescent. In Diablo 2, I remember the necromancer looking strong and powerful in the character selection screen (again, probably for minor detail for some, but for me it was just another little thing that showed me there was lack in attention to detail in this game).
    - Big lack of content. I was able to beat this game very quickly and go through the Acts fast. I feel like Diablo 2 had alot MORE maps and places to go in every Act.
    - Having to be always online to play the game was a HUGE mistake. I have one of the fastest internet service packages on the market, and even with that I still experienced lag many times while playing the game. It was extremely annoying hitting barrels and watching it shatter 10 seconds later.
    - I don't like that you couldn't really increase your Arcane Power (which used to be your Manna). Sometimes, you would find loot that would alter it by a couple points, and leveling up never increased it. Thats just stupid. A wizard, which is what I was, should have very high Arcane Power, Low Health points.
    - You never really used potions here. Minor detail, but I liked how Diablo 2 had a wide range of potions you could use for different benefits. Here, non-existent, just a Health Potion you rarely used because either your equipment gives you insane amount of health regeneration or theres tons of health globes laying around (I didn't like the health globes).

PROS
    - Graphics are an improvement.
    - Being able to remove gems from socketed items is an improvement, as well as combining gems to craft better gems. Huge plus.
    - I like that you were able to craft items using an Artisan, which before, in Diablo 2, was only restricted to the Horadric cube. Even though most of your good items will be found in loot, I was still able to craft 1 armor item that was better than what I currently had equipped.

I will say this, is the game entertaining? Yes. Is it better than many other games out there (because I do think alot of games out there in the world are just crap)? Yes. Is it worth the buy? Sure, but don't expect this to be as good as Diablo 2, because it really isn't.

I will finish by saying this, and I hope the guys at Blizzard see this. I am truly disappointed that after making millions of dollars and having had so many years to develop a good game, that Blizzard deviated so far from the original game. You should really stick to the basics to what made a previous game amazing, and not try to reinvent the wheel, just improve on things, not completely change it.
  7. Sep 10, 2014
    This is one of the worst games in the last decade. To give you an idea how broken Metacritic review system is: Over 5 thousand people logged into this site to warn you how bad this game is and that doesn't effect the "Metascore" at all. Instead it is currently rated 88 with only 1 negative review, Metascore is a separate reality. I would suggest ignoring it and reading user reviews.`
  8. Sep 5, 2014
    12 years on and Blizzard is still only able to take a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps it could be said Diablo 3 is so bad because Diablo 2 was so good, but it seems so much effort was put into recreating a "new" and easy to play version of Diablo 3, that the developers lost sight of what really matters for video gaming, fun.

The writing and the story are absolutely terrible, the
    loot was poorly designed, the procedural generation has too many static elements for fun variation, the boss fights aren't particularly exciting, and the advancement skill gap at higher levels is stupidly unbalanced and made the actual viable class/skill choices terribly narrow.

The RMAH ended up not working for them at all, except for the reasonable amount of money it made Blizzard with huge fees. Honestly it was decently fun to use and I'm sure some people farmed, or bought all their items. And maybe the RMAH Gold Hall were used more than was intended, but honestly, trading was always a big part of original Diablo because there were actually items worth getting and things worth crafting.

Now even that's going away. Instead of taking the time to remove a feature, maybe take some more time to make an actual game. 12 years obviously wasn't enough.
  9. Aug 22, 2014
    "Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer less than its predecessors? And new features was only to destroy the playability like real money, while new features that could improve the game like mod support were discarded... the shameful casualization of Blizzard. Expand
  10. Aug 11, 2014
    I remember my hp having a RPG similar to Diablo3. the greater differences however is that the hp game had more; character classes, actual character customization, it was FREE!,The list could go on Diablo 3 is a bastardization of what a good game should be, and i am ashamed that i spent any money buying a copy.
  11. Aug 2, 2014
    The game is nowhere near what Diablo 2 was. The action is too spectacular, even at level 1 you're making visually incredible attacks.
    Also, the game is dumbed down like hell, you can't make mistakes whatsoever, so don't think, just play... If you want a fire mage, go for it, no problem, if you want an ice mage, just change your skills, nothing chains you in any way, it's like none of your
    actions make a lasting impact, you can't specialize a character besides equipment.

The other major fault of the game, in my opinion, is that you can't really think about how to play, if enemies are too strong, they always kill you, you can't think of ways of getting away with it because when you start attacking an enemy you're stuck with it, it will follow you everywhere and most of the times the only way of healing yourself is hitting enemies, so you die if you stop hitting but you die if you keep hitting, there's never a way to escape, so you don't actually get to choose anything, things just happen...

To sum up, if you want a game where you don't have to think of anything, just spend some time watching effects, this is ideal.

If you want your decisions to make an impact whatsoever, just stay away from this, because the few decisions you can make, won't even have an impact.
  12. Jul 28, 2014
    AVOID THIS GAME! Biggest joke of the decade and played off the hearts of Diablo fans everywhere.

After 2 1/2 years, the game is a disaster. They are adding ladders and greater rifts and both are nothing but recycled content. they have not even tried to fix the core issues, you are forced to play fire elemental specs because that is the only kind of gear in the game. They say they want
    you to play the game, the way you want to play it, but if you want to be able to clear content, or get the type of gear you need, you will have to play how Blizzard designed the game, and that is to play fire.

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  13. Jul 28, 2014

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  14. Jul 19, 2014
    I didn't fall for the hype, Didn't buy the game. Now Blizzard is offering a free demo. The game was made in 2012, but right from the start, it feels like I could have been made in 2005. I've played plenty of rpgs and diablo spinoffs, but this "official" Diablo feels like a spinoff itself, but a cheap one, that could have been made by a kickstarter effort from a few thousand dollars.
    In
    2014 (or 2012 for that matter) no character customization is an absolute no go.
    Poor inventory handling is an absolute no go.
    Poor interaction menu is an absolute no go.
    I truly feel like I'm playing a game from 10 years ago, not 2 years ago. It was acceptable for Diablo II to look and play the way it looked and played, but it's totally unacceptable in 2014 (or 2012).
    We had RPGs already, that done plenty of innovation in many aspects to the genre, none can be found in D3. Not sure if it's the stubborn Blizzard idea or somehow it's a design "feature".
    If I want to use a metaphor, imagine buying a car today for the same price as all the others, but upon sitting into it, you realize, it's equipped like a car from the 80s. 13 inch wheels, drum brakes, cassette player only, no remote lock or alarm and the seat feels like an old used sofa and it smells like mildew inside. All, for a premium price. It would be the laughing stock of the world, and so D3 should be.
  15. Jul 10, 2014
    When I played, Diablo 3 was a greedy auction house fest, with loot algorithms designed to force people to buy items from each other while giving Blizzard a cut of the money spend. Considering the price of the game and the impact it had one quality of game play, this was extremely unacceptable.

They supposedly fixed these issues and removed the auction house in the mean time, so my
    review from back then is no longer valid. Not gonna waste more money or time on the game though, so I'll just set my score as close as possible to the average player score and then clearly state that I have no idea if the game still sucks in the current version. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2014
    Outside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a game for this little black duck. Expand
  17. Jun 27, 2014
    Simply put, Diablo 3 is not a Diablo. anymore. i would've been more generous at my scoring if it were named differently instead of tricking us that we have purchased a sequel to Diablo.
  18. Jun 5, 2014
    Games are about entertainment. You're supposed to have fun. However diablo 3 bored me from the very beginning. Previous installments in the series immersed me but this one really pales in comparison.
  19. Jun 5, 2014
    worst arpg I have ever played. the devs have no clue. its so bad their lead dev is now a joke in the industry. blizzard has lost a lot of fans with this game
  20. May 28, 2014
    The worst game ever seen for Bli$$ard+Activi$$ion. Take your Money and RUN.... Seriusly GARBAGE.
    not recommend purchase. Is a BETA version of the biggest crab Diablo III , just a BIG SHAME, the biggest scam of all history of Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion.
  21. May 20, 2014
    Este juego es la mayor basura creada por Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion: -No es divertido -no es bueno -NO recominedo su compra -No se puede ni jugar la mayoria de las veces por lag -No puedes encontrar buenos items por que esta todo NERFEADO para que el juego se alarge y tengas que jugar mas de 10 puñeteros años para poder jugar su Hihg-end. -No se puede jugar el modo hardcore por que hay MUCHO lag y te desconectas siempre
    -Los servidores son una autencica BASURA
    -Blizzard solo vende Mierda a precio de oro y luego se rie en la cara de sus clientes
    -No tiene un buen servido de atención

Basicamente es la mayor Basura que ha creado bli$$ard para sacaros el dinero y reirse de vosotros en vuestra cara. Collapse
  22. May 6, 2014
    bad game i told on chat noobs and i get warn by suport for my imagine bad behavior for caling baters noobs suport is bad same as this company 0 good legendary drop this game sux
  23. Apr 20, 2014
    Too much soap, cartoon engine. Don't waste your time and money on this game. It's not even close to Diablo 2 or even Diablo 1. Blizzard is just trying to use it's famous title to milk customers.
  24. Apr 17, 2014
    Garbage in every way compared to Diablo II but world of warcraft fans will like this crap. The Blizzard that made Diablo I and II is dead and so is the series. RIP
  25. Apr 17, 2014
    Unfortunately D3 does not live up to its predecesors. Blizzard seems to create a singleplayer ARPG but they are doing MMO balancing every few patches. it allready pissed me off big time getting nerfed in wow because of pvp concerns,but nerfing classes and items in a non competitive singleplayer game with co/op is just ridicolous. if you want to play a good arpg there is plenty more fun stuff out there. check out torchlight I & II for example. they are more diablo than d3! Expand
  26. Apr 11, 2014
    Wow, don't buy this game. It looks exactly like WoW. Level cap is 60, expansion is 80? Hmm...sounds familiar...............................................
  27. Apr 11, 2014
    Updated my review for the expansion.

Blizzard has taken leaps to improve this game but after leveling another character I feel it is still lacking something fundamental, fun. The skill trees are still lacking in variety but this isn't the main issue as D2 had this same plan. If I had to pick the main thing that really annoys me about this game.. it would be the story. For me, this story
    is lacking so much more than the original had and the loot system still isn't as rewarding as many would have you believe. In fact, the improved loot system seemed to just make the game much easier at higher levels. I literally almost fell asleep while playing.

This could be a different story with the expansion. However, I refuse to pay $40 for an expansion after having my trust in blizzard ripped away from me. Many of you may be fine with companies that extort you but I have a fundamental problem with them and refuse to support them with my very hard earned money. Any who would argue against their extortion is blind to what happened with their DRM in the auction house and how you could pay nearly as much for an expansion that is majorly just a fix for what shouldn't have been a problem in the first place? Granted it has a new act and class and I would have payed 40 for it without question if all of the issues hadn't come about in the first place. Blizzard has lost my trust and will have to earn it back. Considering trends of other big box production companies, I doubt they will even care enough to try.
  28. Apr 8, 2014
    I came from the originals. Diablo and Diablo 2. Played the crap out of both those games. This game though, is a total failure. I can't even justify giving it a partial score, it's just a broken game! Lets start with the basics. The storyline? Very linear and bland. The graphics? Way too cartoon-like. The mechanics? Poorly executed and poorly driven. The overall action element? There is none. You feel like you're watching your character instead of playing. And the big kicker... ONLINE ONLY PLAYING! WHY???

Blizzard needs to learn a lesson about this game. You cannot make a fan of the series wait this long for a game and then shovel tons of brown gunk down their throats. I paid full price for this game, $69.99. It was way way way WAY over priced and was not worth my time in the long run.

Blizzard also needs to learn that capitalism does not work in the gaming industry. You only trap STUPID people when you jack up the price of crap. The smart people will eventually avoid you as a developer in the long run.

The next thing to break me away from Blizzard completely will be when they introduce micro-transacting. That will be the point at which Blizzard is no longer in it for making good games, they are in it totally for the money.

Shame that a developer has to go down this path...Shame...
  29. Apr 5, 2014
    This game became the victim of DRM and microtransaction greed. dont buy it.
    I loved diablo 2, and i naievely expected diablo 3 to be an improvement on the diablo 2 system. i was painfully disappointed. I got this game free and i still want a refund.
  30. Apr 4, 2014
    I think its fair to say that this game tanked bad, and their is no coming back to the high score that Diablo 2 set back in the day. In fact the only game now that comes close to that type of game play is Path of Exile. This game deserves only a zero anyone else who score above that has no respect for themselves and like have not played since the First Diablo. The game Has gotten better now since the roll out of ROS and I rated it a 6 for fixing many issues with the game. In all I feel that the game has been ruined and they need to move on and retire all three of these giant titles. Lets do somethings fresh Blizzard I think many would agree that we are getting tired of **** games being released from big vendors like yourself. Expand
  31. Mar 30, 2014
    As if the game wasn't bad enough (it's a copy of Diablo II!!!), the customer support and account management are by far the worst I've ever seen. Put your pw wrong three times and you'll end up in a miserable agony and disbelief trying to get back into your account. I have never met so idiotic "security" measurements that go **** from tiniest changes or mistakes, for example logging to your account from different computer makes your account go locked. Good luck if you don't have your full name saved in account or you mistype it three times. I had to queue almost one hour to get service in english (not my mother tongue). And yes, that was the only option given. No email addresses or messaging systems, just phone number to diff. country. Yes, there is a ticket system but how's that supposed to help if you can't log in account and submit the ticket.

By far THE worst 60€ I've ever spent on anything.
  32. Mar 26, 2014
    Only good with blind fanboy

nothing change much from the game core which is utterly bad ...

There are many ARPG out there and they're outmatched DB3 + ROS

Sigh .. i love this series but this is nowhere to be good
  33. Mar 26, 2014
    There is simply too much to list about Diablo 3's initial release that made it pretty terrible. I know it's clichéd by now, but when I compare it to what D2:LoD was 11 years ago, this game simply falls flat on it's face. It has it's certain fun moments, but they truly don't last.

After the recent 2.0.1 patch, things have gotten significantly better - but it's still not up to par for
    where it should have been to begin. Reaper of Souls has also helped me regain some faith in Blizzard, but they still have a ways to go until it's a quality ARPG, like it's predecessor was. Expand
  34. Mar 26, 2014
    when I picked up the demo I thought I was going to be given a new experience, not a generic hack and slash from 1997 with colorful dialog thrown in the the fun of it. besides all of the hours put into abilities and voice overs this game doesn't fly too far from generic, generic holy trinity click fest garbage. Where is all this hype about the expansion coming from? its the game thing but with more things in it besides new innovative game-play. Expand
  35. Mar 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Biggest Fail game of the century.

Sucks so bad it has over 5k zero ratings.

Enough said

Diablo 3 is so boring you would have more fun at a bingo hall. Also the connection problems at launch are awful and show how incompetent Blizzard is. The graphics in game are also not close to what a Diablo game should look like.
  36. Mar 24, 2014
    I do not know why Blizzard work with the Diablo so many years, but Diablo 3 is just a misunderstanding. Boring, uninspired and without any interesting innovations. After a 4 hour session I was sick - I was thinking whether to buy a DLC "reaper of souls", but no, never!. The conclusion is simple, if you want to modern "Diablo" experience buy a Dark Souls series - This games have exactly feeling like Diablo should have. Expand
  37. Mar 16, 2014
    I will not rate a game that has always-online a 1, let alone what Blizzard said about why offline mode will not be implemented. For Blizzard to say that they didn't make that game but made it offline on console for one, and for two they claim that gamers don't remember how angry they were by Diablo 2 being offline. I was without internet for about 8 days and I couldn't even load it to a login screen let alone anything else. If the auction house is closed then what's the point of it being online. If there was an offline mode for PC then I would rate this a 6 out of 10 Expand
  38. Mar 15, 2014
    Will not purchase, will not play, will not succumb to the iron will of Blizzard. From watching the cinematics ... as has always been the case with blizzard... and some "lets plays" the game looks great and if 90% of the items werent on blizzard's servers and there was an offline only option It would be great. But until they realize that Im not going to have my games monitored and my items under lock and key I will not buy this game. Expand
  39. Mar 15, 2014
    First play through is pretty good, monsters are weak enough that lag from not being next to a server isn't much of an issue. Much past the first difficulty is impossible unless you are near a server (Single player included) Fun, but 0 replay value. Blizzard has hopped on the draconian DRM bandwagon with this one unfortunately, try Path of Exile or Torchlight 2.
  40. Mar 13, 2014
    Just awful, was kind off enjoyable for the first few hours it took to run through the game. Then you realize it's always going to be the same linear piece of **** and you get a sour taste of hate and regret in your mouth.

After about a month I had entirely forgotten about it, and so had most other people. It's not memorable at all, it's bad. It has little to no replayabilty and is
    dumbed down so much that it doesn't even make sense to continue after you've tried out all your abilities. Not to mention the stupid DRM and what ever stupid decisions Blizzard decided to implement, I don't remember exactly what they were but I remember them being the dumbest thing I had heard in a long time at the time.

Goes to show that you cannot trust professional game reviewers.

Avoid at all cost
  41. Mar 13, 2014
    I can't in my right mind give this game a good review when it has destroyed such a wonderful and one of my favourite ever franchises.

There are those who would applaud Diablo 3 as a model of great AAA quality, others just because it is Blizzard, and most because they are fans of the franchise although they don't know it, they prove to actually not being true fans to the franchise as
    this is in a completely different direction than the originals.

To make things clear, I will review the game in two ways. The first is as a New IP, the second as a sequel to an Old IP.

As a new IP, the game direction, design and style is not that bad. Blizzard has the budget to back up quality in the product and it shows, from the wonderfully detailed menus, to everything, it is simply polished up real nice. What starts to then weaken it is the fact that it really seams simple in it's structure, especially for a game being developed for so long and especially for a hack and slash game released on 2012. Expectations are far beyond what was given from a company with such a budget and resources as Blizzard, but expectations are also larger from what is actually possible in such a game and genre in our time.

The length was quite short. The story was ok-ish. Included DRM and other online things that simply shouldn't be there for a game like this. Limited party size, to simply later reveal that the game was indeed aimed for consoles as well.

I have nothing against a game being also made for consoles, as long as it doesn't take out features from the PC version just to do this, the way Diablo 3 did. The game felt 5 years old and that is the best that can be said about it as a new IP, no matter how polished it was. The game ends up being marginally a 5/10 as it doesn't deliver in a surprisingly new way neither lives up to the expectations of a company as large as Blizzard and so much time being put into it. RAGE from id was longer, for crying out loud, and it was a first person shooter. Skyrim took around the same time to develop, and the results show why. Diablo 3 does not convince in any way that it is a project taken seriously, especially with regards to the original fans, which takes us to part 2.

Reviewing it as the sequel to the original franchise (which is the true review) the game is simply not Diablo. Diablo 2 delivered, in size and content 4 times that of the original, and it kept to the original style which is what the Diablo universe was all about that Lovecraft styled and gothic demonic look and atmosphere created. Something that the previous Blizzard employees that actually worked on and made Diablo 1 and 2 managed to recreate on their next project, Hellgate.

The direction was a slap in the face. It is like playing the TES universe and the third iteration being in a completely different direction than the other two. Blizzard saw into simply scrapping the original franchise and making something new, make it marginally as long as the previous titles if not shorter (much shorter actually), get rid of entire features, apply it to consoles, use the old franchise name and their own to sell and advertise it, and deliver a product that did nothing of create the feeling the old titles created. Art direction was mostly changed to appeal to a larger scale target market as well, also evident in the fact that it was ultimately aimed at console launches as well.

To further prove that they really don't give a damn about the old franchise, neither the fans, at the complaint on the new direction and art for Diablo 3 from many fans, they released a troll Cow Level with rainbows claiming that "this is childish", not Diablo 3. Hardly the approach of a serious company, but rather the actions of a child arguing it's point, going completely out of their way to simply try and prove they are right.

They are not right, not by a long-shot. The feel of the original franchise which was spectacular simply wasn't there, it was something else. The Cthulu-ish designs and dark sinister world worthy of the name Diablo was scrapped, and they have the audacity to try and say otherwise even though the results are so evident? I am ashamed in them, and the title.

Diablo 3 brought nothing new to the genre instead it simplified it, while it also ruined the original franchise, and instead of delivering at least an attempt to show that they put twice the work in it than previous Diablo titles, we get results that require half the effort. Path of Exile felt more like the original Diablo franchise, and it was a free to play game from an indie developer. The results Blizzard achieved here are appalling and not nearly in the lowest of their standards that we deserve to have. But then again, Blizzard hasn't been Blizzard since 2002.

The game is barely 2/10. I would have given it 3/10, but Blizzards stance on it, the continuation of supporting their decision rather than admitting to fault, along with other things, drops it to 2/10... And I am being nice.
  42. Mar 12, 2014
    So many promises made and none were kept. After such a long wait for this game it's a huge disappointment. Diablo 2 is far superior to this game. I need to be logging on to battle.net to play single player??!?! They have no backup servers so if the game server goes down I can't play at all? DRM done horribly wrong.
  43. Mar 7, 2014
    Diablo III is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. The story is garbage, the graphics are cartoonish, etc etc etc. I had trouble seeing 15 months of development, not to mention the 15 years that D3 took. I'll be an old man for D4, not that I would waste my money again. To rub salt in the wounds, D3 is almost decent now that the DLC is about to be released. Too little way too late. I hope nobody buys the DLC to send a clear message to Blizzard that their game is pathetic . Expand
  44. Mar 3, 2014
    I write my review nearly 2 years after the game release, so I wasn't there for the game day release woes. Though I can understand the vitriol when coupled with the game itself.

-There wasn't a great deal of innovation on the series. I've played all the the Diablo games and enjoyed them for what they were. That being said, it seems reasonable to have slightly higher expectations for a
    game that was released after a 10 year gap in the series.

-My most immediate turn off was the boring loot. In a game that's literally about collecting loot, the items were terrible. Armor sets that match for bonuses, cool proc effects, legendary items that grant fun abilities...all gone and replaced with stat sticks. Even the stats on the legendary items were bad.

-Customization was gone. I liked being able to distribute my stats. Even if each point gave me improvement measured in some tiny percentage, it was satisfying to do so.

-Pay to win. This is completely ridiculous. I'm not a competitive player, so I ignored the auction house completely. Though the fact that it exists is very, very wrong.

-Price. At the time of release the game was $60. It had dropped when I bought it and is due to drop again. Though I suspect a $40 expansion is in the works. This just seems a little over the top when similar games are so much cheaper. (Torchlight 2 $15, Path of Exile FREE)

What the game gets right are great looking graphics, the always high quality Blizzard cinematics, and bug free gameplay. The voice acting, though cheesy, is done by some of the best in the business. It just wasn't enough though. I've rarely felt "cheated" by a game, but for the price, Diablo III just wasn't worth it.
  45. Mar 1, 2014
    I wondered why this game was such a massive disappointment until I realized it was made by Activision. They have killed Tony Hawk, GuitarHero, Call of Duty, and now Diablo. After 12 years they finally released this game, and it is so worse than garbage that there is no word to describe it. I could go on and on about why, but basically this game leaves out everything that was good about D2 and adds a bunch of nothing...except for lag. I have not been able to run this game without constant lag on my year old dell. Ridiculous. BF3 runs at 30fps and still doesn't give lag anywhere near like this.  Expand
  46. Feb 26, 2014
    Blizzard had time, money, people and experience – everything they needed to make another great Diablo game. So nothing can justify this fiasco. And things like online-only DRM and RMAH were just pure, plain and obvious trolling. They deliberately chose to spit on their fanbase repeatedly because they knew they would get away with it.

Some may think that patches made D3 better. Nothing
    could be further from truth. It’s still the same fetid puke puddle it was two years ago. D3 doesn’t even have PvP (and again for those who think it was added in 1.0.7 – Diablo 3 DOES NOT HAVE PvP). Expand
  47. Feb 26, 2014
    Putting aside the issues a game launch for the moment : Any game that requires always online DRM to play what is essentially a single player game should be avoided at all costs. In the case of Diablo III, this is nothing but a cynical ploy to get players hooked up to the Auction House so Blizzard can replace some of the revenues they are losing from WOW.

As to the issues at game launch:

1. Blizzard was aware of the number of games sold by preorder and presumptively capable of being able to calculate sales at launch. This is one of the primary functions of their marketing department.
    2. Blizzard did not adjust download capacity at launch to meet these requirements.
    3. Blizzard did not adjust server capacity to meet the on-line play requirements at launch or subsequent to launch.

Conclusion:

1. Blizzard deliberately launched a game which they knew they could not fully support.
    2. Blizzard deliberately sold a game which they knew its customers would not be able to play in full or in part for some period of time after launch.
    3. As many have pointed out in the past, this is effectively fraud. Deliberately selling a product that does not work is unacceptable in almost any industry, and should be considered criminal.
    4. These actions show that Blizzard views and treats its customers with complete contempt.

Solution:

1. Do not buy this or any other games from this Blizzard.
    2. Do not buy this or any other game requiring on-line play for single player games.
  48. Feb 24, 2014
    no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0
  49. Feb 24, 2014
    From the get go this game was ruined. People say now, after two years since launch, that the game is finally what it should have been. Well, that's two years too late, and they have the balls to charge 40$ for an upcoming expansion with 20%- 25% new content? I'd throw 15$ at Blizzard just to own the expansion, even if i won't play it. 40 bucks ? Good bye.
  50. Feb 20, 2014
    What have you done, Blizzard? Nobody likes the story not even the whole game. All you do is stacking 5x Nephalem in Festering Wood then you enter a prepared crypt in mp10 and you level the same character class up to 100 all over again to get a paragon 1000 toon in the next expansion. All you do is clear the same lame crypt tapping 1-1-1-1-1 like a retard in Archon form and beam while right clicking everywhere. Here is my score infinite 0-0-0-0-0! Expand
  51. Feb 18, 2014
    Gameplay is fun but..... the story is awful, the art/feel of the game is terrible, and required internet is garbage. Will never back Blizzard on another one of their games ever again. After seeing Reaper of Souls beta being streamed -- sucks to be anyone buying that load of crap. Maybe you guys will enjoy your trip through a well-lit and cartoony fairy tale with units/lands pasted from D2 and the same lame class coming back into play.

Out of 8778 reviews, having a 3.9 score is pretty terrible. There have been 86 critic reviews giving it an average of 88 which is even more of a joke.

Also: The months of creating PVP? What a joke.
  52. Feb 17, 2014
    Not as good as Diablo 1 or 2 or even Torchlight 1 or 2. Basically 4 things drag it down HARD. 1. Worst of all it is pay to win (but not even close to free to play). Inexcusable for a game you pay for. Obnoxiously so for a game you pay this much for. 2. Story. This story is weak. Some of the characters are fun (I'd like to learn more about many of the followers), but the demon of lies is a horrible liar (being obvious from the get-go) and the boards/missions/quests are not varied or exciting enough.

3. Loot/drops. Because they decided to make it pay to win, Loot and drops are not worth grinding, on the whole. Merchants are useless, and even legendary drops are unexciting given that they are almost always not even worth selling on the auction house. Its basically this: there is one correct way to play without real money. Grind gold, go to AH, buy items, grind more gold. Alternatively, you can, instead of playing the actual game, play the auction house to make money.

I don't think anyone bought Diablo 3 to play "stock market, fantasy style" but that's one of the two viable ways to do well in the game. Awful.

4. Online only DRM (with sweet, sweet server management. Honestly, if the game were good, I could probably/possibly excuse this. I think/hope that it prevents haxx, which sorta ruined any pvp or multiplayer in prior Diablos (especially 1). Given that I primarily want to play with my family, I'd be more than happy to lose this in favor of LAN based play.
  53. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a 4, the reason people are rating it a 1 is because it is the sequel to Diablo 2. It basically took everything that was awesome from the genre and that game and stripped it down to a crappy, boring experience. I did not enjoy any of the time I spent playing this game.
  54. Feb 11, 2014
    Great graphics and a decent story but the game was completely ruined by the lack of character customisation/choices/surprise. AH ruined any loot found, Loved Diablo II and I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. Zero replay value. The whole game was based on the stats which gear provides and weapon damage determining spell damage was a bad idea.
  55. Feb 10, 2014
    The graphics are too rainbow bright, cartoonish and girly. The dialogue is cheese and the story is lacking. The art style is too much like World of Warcraft.
  56. Feb 9, 2014
    This failed to deliver as a true ARPG. It has no competitive aspects. Failed promises. The D3 development team does not know what they are doing. bad game.....
  57. Feb 9, 2014
    Not really good remake of Diablo 2 which looks like cartoon. This game is cheap as dad from Transformers movie. Frankly, I want my money back as this is not "Diablo" as I (and many) expected, it's a different game that speculate on Diablo name. Don't seems like I'm buying any other Blizzard games, not before a lot of good USERS reviews at least, as Blizzard reputation is non existing for me anymore. Expand
  58. Feb 8, 2014
    you can call it **** or scam. This game ruined diablo's franchise, turning it into a cheesy pay2win for coach junkies or beliebers. Stay away and keep the money
  59. Jan 15, 2014
    This is more of a review on the official critics, both here and on other sites. When you google Diablo 3 review, you see ridiculously high ratings across the board, some teetering on the edge of 10/10...

What game were they playing? IMO, they were playing greedy buggers. Marking down a Blizzard game seems almost sacrilegious. Having an honest opinion seems to require too much
    competency, or moral fiber, or some other factor, because I haven't seen one yet in regards to this game.

It's a glaring insult to this site's readers when the official critics have a this turd at 8.8/10. Right beside it is a far more honest take on Diablo 2's retarded step child. With laughably bad story, dialogue, cinematic boss fights *ugggghhh -_-*, terrible balancing issues, melee hatred, a need for A2 inferno items to complete A1 Inferno, moronically bad legendaries, a requirement to rely on the AH to get 95% of your end game gear, the AH in and of itself... The list goes on, markedly worse being the most ignominious demise of one of gaming history's most beloved characters, Deckard Cain....death by dominatrix slutterfy *shudder*

What good points this game has are few and far between; not even the atmosphere is remotely near the mark! For many, seemingly most, fans of the Diablo franchise, this game was a terrible, decade late blow. I, personally, don't even consider it to be canon, preferring to hold out hope that the D3 team will be eradicated with extraordinary prejudice and replaced by a team who will release a truly worthwhile successor to one of the most heavily awarded and best loved RPG series of all time. For free. I can dream, can't I?

I rarely take official reviews under consideration as fluffing up crap games is just one of the many tools video game companies use to sell their games. This, though, is just so unabashedly rotten that I feel disgusted. Blizzard hasn't been Blizzard for years, and these glowing reviews are terrible attempts at adding shine to a turd.
  60. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is a shame. It betrays the atmosphere of previous episodes,which were much darker. Cooldowsns in skills, forced internet connexion, real money device, seriously. Blizzard has gone completely wrong and is destroying so many ips...
  61. kpc
    Jan 13, 2014
    An unmitigated disaster.

I've tried evaluating the game on its own merits, though doing so is merely an exercise in reality denial for etiquette's sake. On that level, it lacks very basic RPG replayability features like skipping through dialogue, story variation, meaningful choices, environment randomization, and bosses more difficult than trash packs. On the plus side, Diablo has
    boobs. If this were brand new IP, I'd consider giving it 1 or 2 out of 10 for the fine graphic detail if nothing else.

As a chapter in the hallowed Diablo franchise, it goes from bad to unquestionably the biggest disappointment in the history of gaming. And I'm not even one of those who holds up D1 or D2 as the greatest games ever. Both had many flaws I considered gamebreaking and exasperating. But they both had that "it" factor. D3 has a variation of that... prefixed by "sh". The eerieness and danger of the previous games is completely absent. Godlike demons mock the player using taunts befitting a third grade playground. The whole experience feels cheap and rushed, especially the inane dialogue and awful voice acting. The only thing I can truthfully call an improvement over the prequels would be the cutscenes... too bad you have swim thirty laps through an olympic size pool full of raw sewage to get two minutes of fresh air.

I won't go so far as to cast aspersions on the pro reviewers over there regarding whether they were paid for that 88 metascore, but I do highly doubt they bothered playing the game more than a few hours before rendering their verdict. Indeed, D3 seems designed to let a reviewer check items off their rubric in Act 1, intentionally obscuring the fetid fecal matter lurking beneath. Act 1 even occasionally drops some useful, well-itemized loot, hinting that the rest of the game will follow suit. If only it were so.

What about that "Blizzard polish"? Wasted... on a micro transaction system of all things. I mean, if you're going to bollucks up something this badly, at least go for broke trying to innovate something people actually want. If you screw up trying to make it work with gesture control, or make too many abilities to choose from, or introduce a never before seen game mechanic, that's forgivable. But using paying customers and your most beloved brand to focus group test Bobby Kotick's microtransaction wet dream is just despicable on all levels.

So the game has just enough of that Blizzard polish to make it distinguishable from a Chinese F2P translated into broken English... great job team. Unfortunately the polish was spread unevenly, and it is abundantly clear that the lion's share of the development effort in this game went toward driving people to the RMAH after selling them a title undeservedly bearing the Diablo franchise name at full retail price. Not that it matters; the game is terrible with or without the RMAH. No amount of polish will bail you out if the core product is lacking the fundamentals. Ask the FFXIV developers... whose first attempt was still many orders of magnitude better than D3 and they were all fired.

I would be remiss if I did not address the always online DRM, the icing on this failcake. Those with satellite internet, rural DSL, or basically anyone outside of big cities in the first world with sub-50ms latency need not apply. Sounds like a good business plan to me. No, let's let everyone lag to hell because it's easier to not have to actually fix exploits and regulate the online community. But yeah, let's still have hardcore mode... nothing says skill like a reliable internet connection and dodging lag spikes. D3's sole innovation in the genre... showing the world to what extreme DRM brute force can be taken and still sell games on name recognition alone.

So let's pretend for one minute that the game isn't terrible. Let's pretend that it is the most awe-inspiring artwork of a game ever created or ever even imagined. Guess what... it still gets a 0. A Ferrari gets a 0/10 as a car, no matter how pretty it is or how fast it can theoretically go, if it won't bloody start. No one, and I mean no one, will ever make a single player RPG so good that they get to dictate how I play it or require that I let them watch my activity, lest I might try to steal something, AFTER I GODDAMN WELL PAID FOR IT. Arrogant, authoritarian nonsense like this makes me want to START botting and hacking just to piss them off, and I have never been even mildly tempted to do either.

D3 has succeeded in one thing however: converting a formerly wide-eyed, kid-in-a-candy-store, diehard fan of Blizzard's game craftmanship into a "never again" cynic, instantly suspicious of anything Activision (let's face facts... there is no Blizzard any more) will ever produce.

TLDR: You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.
  62. Jan 13, 2014
    Not good, not good at all. Almost everything that made Diablo 2 special is gone. Especially the atmosphere. Its gone. Completely.

Art style is so wrong, completely opposite of what Diablo should look like. Story is just stupid. Bad game.
  63. Jan 13, 2014
    Seriously, this game fail everywhere that diablo 2 succeeded. Now they are killing the game by removing the economy system. Good luck to find items now.
  64. Jan 12, 2014
    Avoid it at all costs!! I got this title free from Blizzard because of a WoW subscription promotion and even paying for WoW and getting a special mount it DID NOT worth it. It cannot be compared to Diablo I and II. The end was something that most players will feel more painful that ME3 and DA2. Not even for free I got satisfied. You have been warned!!
  65. Jan 3, 2014
    This game is one of the most boring games I have ever played. Now I don't look for bad games and almost every game i've played has had something fun about it. the only game I have ever played and had no fun what so ever is this one. there is no character customization, no variation in what skills you can learn and no variation in the game aside from what class you choose. Its game-play is that of a line walking button mashing experience. Expand
  66. Jan 1, 2014
    Diablo 3 has been one of the greatest disappointments for me since I play Video games. The main reasons are:
    1: The game is pathetically easy. On my first run though I played a monk. In the entire game I used a single health potion and I died one single time, mostly because I wasn't paying attention anymore due to an overdose of boredom. I am NOT a hardcore gamer.
    2. With the
    introduction of dragonball z-like fighting sequences the game has received a touch of ridiculousness (e.g. is the daemon hunter firing bolts with mounted miniature-nuclear-warheads??)
    3. Extremely boring gameplay: Just left click the mouse and hordes of monsters will die, often even accidently while to try to walk from A to B.
    4. The dialogues are no good. Most annoying are those when the heroes pat themselves on the back noticing how powerful and strong they are. And why do your main opponents need to appear to you in a vision every time you achieve a victory to mock you?? (Kiddy Junk!)
    5. The game developers paid zero dedication to small but important details which give a story (or game) an air of sinisterness, gruesomeness or fearfulness, in short, there is absolutely no horror element in the game anymore.
    6. Boring story.
    In summary blizzard did remarkably well in creating a game so close to industry standards in any regard that there remains nothing unique and special about it anymore, it is a game without flavour. A game for kids.
  67. Jan 1, 2014
    One of the most anticipated games of the decade that turned out to be one of the biggest gaming disappointments of the decade. Aside from the game play everything that made Diablo an awesome game is removed from Diablo 3. Their reason for this is clear they wanted to create and easy to port console game which had to be a watered down version of the original Diablo series. The story line makes no sense and the items are boring and horrible. Do not buy this game. Expand
  68. Dec 31, 2013
    This game is the definition of instant gratification, no complexity, no challenge and no depth. No permanent meaningful choices, change your mind at any point. It's a shame really because visually it looks good and it has the quality of a Blizzard game in terms of how it runs, they just made some very poor design decisions.

On top of it all they added the Real Money Auction House pay
    real money for success instead of putting in the time and effort. Why did Blizzard turn their backs on the previous games and still decide to call this game Diablo? This game doesn't deserve to be called Diablo.

Let this game be an example to other developers of what to avoid when developing a game.
  69. Dec 30, 2013
    I just wished and got this title as a Christmas gift. I was going away to and was really excited to play it on my laptop when i´d have alone time. I install the game and I´m hit with an incredible disappointment, I never thought I´d care so much about offline playability but now i know. Sure it was me who did´nt know this before i wished for D3 but why o why would a gaming company deny this freedom of choice. For a title like this i mean... from me it´s gonna be a low score, not being able to even access the game unless stationed i cannot give it more. Expand
  70. Dec 29, 2013
    Worst RPG ever. Beautiful artwork but the mechanics and the endgame sucks hard. Reaper of souls is gonna be even worse than the vanilla. The new Crusader class is boring. Most of the skills are copied from the other ones. Act5 is cool but one act doesn't fix the game. Now the only end game is going to be rifts and bounties which are boring and not enough rewarding. Everything is account bound. Public games sucks, no benefits for being in a clan. I played the closed beta of the expansion and I am really disappointed. It doesn't worth the money. Expand
  71. Dec 29, 2013
    Diablo 3 was good for about 7 days of gameplay, and that's it. Tremendous disappointment, stay far, far away from this and its upcoming expansion.

Here's a list of the major issues:
    1) Online DRM. Leads to you not being able to play your single player game when servers are frequently down. Also you get some lag hiccups which can cause character deaths and slow down in the action.

2) Loot drops terrible. Blizzard's goal seems to be to have all players buy their gear on the real money auction house. Loot drops are plentiful garbage, with next to nothing being something you would use. 99% of my gear came from the gold auction house. This is basically an E-bay simulator, not an ARPG. I suspect Blizzard creates loot and posts it themselves on the RMAH to make more money.

3) Minimal randomization. Most of each map is the same everytime, have a few minor variations on sections.

4) Very short game. You can do a run through in a few hours of all four acts. Add point #3 to this and it makes the game boring.

5) Next to no character customization, again what's the point in playing this again?

The combat system is good, but sadly the rest of the game is not. We waited 10 years for this?
  72. Dec 27, 2013
    Diablo II is one of my favorite games and certainly the game I spent most time on, so I had certain expectations for this game and sadly it disappointed many of those.

The good:
    * The graphics and in-game interface are great. There's really not much to complain about here: The game looks good and the interface has many comfort features that make managing the items and character very
    easy.

The bad:
    * Always online. There's no point in making a game that can be played alone need an internet connection. Also, the servers (Europe) have a very poor performance, even a year after the release.
    * No character customization. No stat points, no skill points. Once you're level 60, there's no reason to play the same character class again. Which leads directly to the next point:
    * No replayability. If you want your character different, you can just change the skills and items. The story is boring and the maps are always the same, too, so that doesn't exactly help.
    * Max level is too low. Absolutely stupid decision to make 60 the max level. They tried to fix it with the paragon levels, but that's just a small patch for a completely broken leveling system. Of course there will be higher levels in the expansion, why else would players buy it? Totally sad marketing strategy.
    * No ladder. Seriously? The ladder and the competition and friends that came with it was one of the greatest things about Diablo II.
    * Only 4 players per game and no open PvP.
    * No custom game names and very bad lobby interface (thanks to consoles). To create or join a game, you need to select difficulty, monster power, act and quest. That gives you about a million different combinations and with only a few thousand players online, chances are your game will be empty. All that, because consoles don't have a keyboard. Great.
    * Boring and predictable story. Not that an ARPG needs a great story, but they f*cked it up nonetheless by trying too hard.
    * No random outdoor maps. I can run through most of the game with the eyes closed by now, because the maps are always the same, except for a few randomized spots.
    * Real money auction house. The auction house is great, but including real money was a bad and greedy choice by Blizzard. Players didn't like it so instead of just removing the real money part, they will remove the whole auction house (no doubt because database queries require many servers and now that they don't make any more money with the auction house...). Greedy f*cks.
    * Removal of auction house in March 2014. Now players will get scammed on websites again when they trade items. Great.

All I really wanted was Diablo II with better graphics and interface. Diablo II had millions of fans for a good reason, but that wasn't good enough for Bli$$ard, so they went ahead and casualized the game to squeeze out every dollar they possibly can. I hope they noticed that it's going to bite them in the *ss in the long run.

The metacritic ratings tell the real story. Almost 9000 reviews. Average score 3.8. Yeah. Good f*cking job.
  73. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. one word: boring.
    ok good multiplayer and servers. no bugs. good matches numbers.
    but...
    farming with almost no results for hundreds hours, flipping in ah, spending real money when frustrated by no valuable drops.
    everybody with same builds, same items, same map path to grind. no variety. little rewards.
    and now...a addon at a high price adding features that should simply be a free patch...trying to fix the game deleting the ah, after more than a year.
    i won t buy RoS. that's for sure
  74. Dec 24, 2013
    Once you reach level 60 and you get good gear game gets booooooring. Specially when u play over and over again on same acts, Act 1 is the best in my oppinion, 2 was ok, 3 was mixed feelings and 4 is disaster, short and crap. first 2 acts has a bit of a story the rest was kill kill kill and kill the diablo done. It is way easier to get a good gear now then it was published. Now there's an expansion coming out which will make game more interesting and probably more fun to play but the price is way overpriced 40$ 40€ which is worst for EU). Anyway I don't think this game scored more then 3/10 with expansion 7/10 probably. Blizzard is kinda rip of with their pricing strategy and turned a "OK" game into "Disaster". I wont recommend players purchasing much money on expansion, maybe wait for its price to drop then purchase. Expand
  75. Dec 15, 2013
    It would make a very solid hack & slash RPG except that all of the content other than equipment runs out in under four hours of gameplay.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Especially not a Diablo fan.
  76. Dec 14, 2013
    Fun if you are a first timer to this genre, repetitive mindless hack slash otherwise. I liked this game a lot until I noticed that I had to be connected to the internet to play it even single player. So this game has lot of DRM (digital rights mgmt), which means that you may pay full price for the game, but the game is never truly yours to own, because it is constantly dependent on a valid log in to the developers servers. One day someone hacked my game acct. and they closed the game down on, after-which Blizzard (game developer) sent me an email stating that if I want to keep playing I have to but a completely new copy of the game. I thought that was very disrespectful considering that game security is their responsibility. I advise buying a similar game on steam or origin to avoid it getting taken away from you, because as it turns out Blizzard gets hacked a lot and therefore shuts down many innocent costumer's accts. but keeps all royalties for themselves. Expand
  77. Dec 10, 2013
    I bought D3 on the ps3 with the intention of receiving a new and refreshing gameplay experience but unfortunately after putting several hours in, I discovered that the game is super repetitive. D3 involves doing a lot of the same thing without having any real change and doesn't reward exploration due to the maps linear progression... but anyway you can invest in another video game that feels great and doesn't waste your time or moneys. Expand
  78. Dec 3, 2013
    After playing the game until inferno at release i can safely say that that this games only redeeming factor is the loot system and still during that time it wasn't without its issues. Now for the bad, this game took over 10 years to make and yet somehow they managed to significantly dumb down the game play and limit builds in the process, they also made the huge mistake of patching the game as if it was is an mmo completely nerfing many character builds into the ground multiple times and forcing people to re-roll their characters due to the lack of a re-spec system, whilst i agree their shouldn't be a need for one if they couldn't get the balance right after all the closed beta it should have been a no-brainier.

Greed seems to be the root of a majority of this games issues, the always online nasty as DRM was only implemented because blizzard wanted to cash in on their real money auction house, similar to what steam does with their market transaction by taking a fixed of each sale.Obviously if cheating isn't controlled then this system wont be able to make money hence the always online DRM. My problem with this is that the game isn't and was never meant to be an mmo and blizzard offers absolutely no benefit to the game being online, they even promised PvP and it took them over a year to implement, still in its current form it's a complete joke and not what anyone expected. The server issues that the game still has to this day (added latency in single player for no reason, hc characters dying due to lag-spikes) and had during launch aren't worth mentioning because it should have never had the requirement to be online in the first place or there should have at least been an option to play with an offline and local lan only character ie; a ranked and non-ranked system.

Even if you can look past all of the above and still want to play the game because like me you loved diablo 1 and 2 and have waited 10 years for this shiny new rendition (obviously not the case or you would have played it by now) you will still be disappointed by the limited game play, severely dated and cartoony graphics and animations ripped straight from wow that completely kill the dark atmosphere the first games did so well to create. At no point in the game was there ever a remotely scary or creepy moment, if anything it felt childish and while the musical scores were ok they matter little in the grand scheme of things and do nothing to wash away the foul stench of this colossal failure.

I have not met a single dungeon crawler fan who would be willing to give this game a positive review.
  79. Nov 29, 2013
    Blizzard just want your money, they spend millions on advertisement and game-trailers to make you buy the game, once you get it? BAM! All the things they advertised on is gone, and now they have another DLC to drain more of your money, just get Path of Exile if you like A-RPGs and want to enjoy it without dumb pay to win and boring storytelling grinds
  80. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There’re so many failings with this travesty of a Diablo game that it's difficult to know where to start, I'll start with my biggest gripe about this game:

1) The necessity to farm items to stand even the slightest chance against certain enemies: you will, pretty often, run up against groups of 3 or 4 champion enemies that will teleport to surround you then wall you in then multiply so for each one you engaged there is now six then use a spell like decimate or poison and hey presto you're dead in the blink of an eye (this could be fixed if blizzard did one of the following: made the enemies spells less powerful, reduced the total number of possible powers an enemy can have or stopped some effect pairings), this gets compounded by the never ending lag: you go to engage an enemy, the picture judders a bit and all of a sudden you're waiting to re-spawn.

2) Did I mention the ever present lag? I’m pretty sure it did.

3) The characters are all pretty standard, there is very little difference between them past their active attributes: only 2 stats are worth bothering with for each character type, the rest are pretty much useless.

4) The items are much of a muchness, even with 1.4 patch it’s still a world of nerf away from being any good.

5) The story line is pretty boring and unoriginal.

6) The lesser evils you face off against are clichéd, two dimensional and don’t really fit their reputations: Azmodan, according to the game’ lore, is hell’ chief strategist yet can’t stop himself from telling you his whole plan, Belial can’t lie for s**t, is transparent, predictable and massively boring. Even Diablo sucks and in this title he’s supposed to have all the powers of the 7 evils for f**k sake.

7) This game loses all playability after the first time round, to be honest it was a struggle to even get through the first play through.
  81. Nov 27, 2013
    as a hardcore gamer my expectations were short lived when things on this game just seemed more overpowered, many over redundant, many skills obvious in choices and end game items narrowed down to the ONE and ONLY strongest Axe (skorn) in the game.
  82. Nov 25, 2013
    Diablo 3 is lite-WOW game very boring, simple, poor graphics, with lots of bugs and online problems.
    Don't waste your time and money on this and ROS addition.
  83. Nov 25, 2013
    Incredibly underwhelming. Not worth your time or money. Cartoony, lacks depth, lacks character, storyline was terrible, zero replayability, the dullest ARPG I've picked up in a long time about as bad as Space Siege.
  84. Nov 23, 2013
    I want to give the game a zero but I did play and enjoy the game at launch for the first few weeks which is something. The problem is the game was no depth, no length and no width. The graphics and content look doesn't match the subject matter. It plays like a 1-2 day console game when it's predecessor was a never-ending dungeon crawling masterpiece. The items and skills system is so painfully simple and dull there is no customization or separation between builds. Everyone uses exactly the same skills and stats because the rest are terrible.

There is really not much else to say and nothing adding an adventure mode, removing the AH and more levels can do to save this game. RoS is another cash grab for Blizzard by telling gamers what they want to hear, there is no potential here.
  85. Nov 21, 2013
    Horrible. I haven't played the game in a year and I am still offended how Blizzard conned me out of my 60.00 for their POS-10-year-in-the-making follow up to D2. The number of things that are bad about this game are many but surely the pay-to-win auction house was the worst, most offensively greedy thing in the gaming world ever. I will never buy a Blizzard game again.
  86. Nov 21, 2013
    The huge disparity between the "professional" reviews and the user reviews you tell you enough... This game has the money and backing and is being sold in every direction possible but ask any fan of the diablo franchise what they thought about this game and they will hold back their tears as they tell you about the single most disappointing event in their gaming careers.
  87. Nov 19, 2013
    I loved Diablo 2 and the LoD expansion, but this game is just a flimsy shell of a once great franchise. Removal of LAN mode and offline single player mode, all in the name of reducing piracy rates, is just appalling. I have constant lag while playing alone, and the servers are down for maintenance nearly every weekend when I want to play (2am-5am). PS3 version has offline mode, why can't the PC?
  88. Nov 18, 2013
    Its just not the game I was expecting. They shouldn't have even called it Diablo. This could be its own game with how different it is from D2.
    I like deep immersive game play, and Diablo 3 just runs short. The game feels scheduled, and I don't like that.
  89. Nov 17, 2013
    Expensive and disappointing.DRM sucks, graphics suck, too easy on normal difficulty. Would have been a more engaging if the difficulty progression was something just like Nightmare followed by Inferno. Gameplay is absolutely and completely lacks innovation. When I say it lacks innovation, I mean this is what I expected: Imagine every class has a skill that rapidly moves them from one location to another, for the wizard it could be teleport, barb could jump, demon hunter could cartwheel etc. There are certain enemies in the game where that skill is necessary, otherwise you cannot defeat them, or they instantly kill you, or there are places in the environment from which you cannot progress unless you use that skill. Likewise, each class has a skill that makes them temporarily invulnerable for a short period of time (again mage could phase to another dimension, barb could harden his skin, demon hunter could drop dead then come back to life a few seconds later) otherwise certain enemies will kill you instantly, or the environment will kill you unless you use that skill, and you cannot progress through the game unless you use it properly. Then the game could throw several enemies at you simultaneously where you have to use diverse skills to overcome varied obstacles.

Instead, every enemy can simply be killed with regular old damage. And you always suffer from regular old damage. You can walk the entire world from beginning to end, and the "puzzles" that you solve do not rely on reaction time or playing skill, just grab-and-go. Click click click.

Boring.
  90. Nov 17, 2013
    Probably the most disappointing game release of my life. I spend days weeks months in total game play, playing Diablo 1 and 2. I waited years for this master to return and what a disappointment it was.

They took something evil, mysterious, challenging and dark and turning it into a Walt Disney click fest for kiddies. Gone are the half naked sprites and up side down crucifixes. Instead
    you are met with animated characters in bloom, which inspire not fear of death but more of a scene of Alice in Wonderland.

What a tragic end to one of the best titles ever.
  91. Nov 14, 2013
    Game Pros: 1) Graphics are touched up a bit. 2) Cains book to ID all items in inventory. 3) The fact that TP scrolls are no longer needed and it saved you space in inventory. Cons: 1) Hardcore is pointless being that unique bosses use the following about 90% of the time: Teleport, Freeze, Shield, Multiply, pull you to them, Very High elemental damage. Often you die as fast as you can blink.
    2) Item drops: No boss farming in this one. Most unique, set and even rares drop off of random mobs but not often at all on main story bosses. So no Mephy or Baal runs like in D2.
    3) MF hunting is ok but due to the "Cash auction house" they reduced the drop rates of all of the major items such as sets and high end uniques. They are taking the Auction House out of the game in March but they said they are reducing the drop rates even more after that. So months of play and only seeing some uniques means months of play and lucky to see 1 or 2.
    4) Sets and Uniques we came to love in D2 have all been reworked and 95% are total crap now. Remember hunting to finish sets? Forget it now. Out of 6 toons to 60 and of those 6 3 Paragon lvl 18+ I have seen 2 set items drop. Only 2!
    5) The story was simply crap. The cinematic cut scenes are amazing but the story over all just feels pushed and pointless. By the end you feel like you just got kicked int he face with a steel boot for all of your effort.
    6) Item drops over all are disappointing. In D2 it was like Christmas to see a Unique hit the ground because we knew it was a good chance of seeing something worth it. But in D3 you can only handle getting excited about seeing a unique and being disappointed by it being the same crappy item you get to add to your collection of crappy items you have found many times over. Unique item drops after a couple weeks of play gets to the point where you do not even pick up most of them because you just sell them in town like other junk gear, but these crappy uniques are so crappy that you can find a white that would sell for more.
    7) Cash shop screwed up the value of items. So even low level uniques are on the AH for millions of in game gold. This means the value system is based off real money and even with the AH being brought down, the costs will climb due to the fact they are reducing drop rates further. So item trading has become a sell your soul feel more than anything else.

This game had an chance to be a beast of a game but just like all of the other game companies that are around now, they rushed a game release and did not give a crap to put thought into the game. The used the name to sell it and just killed the game name. D4 is not a game I would even buy after this joke of a release. I have never seen a game go off this deep end and ever recover. They always seem to follow the Aliens film franchise, Rush Alien 3 and piss off a fan base. Then rush out more to sucker people into the "Maybe it will be better this time" or the "It could not be worse than the last one". This normally ended with people damn near in tears after the movies yelling "They found a way to make it even more stupid!!!!".

People need to just be done with game companies like this. Refusal to support them is the only way you can win.
  92. Nov 12, 2013
    Blizzard got everything wrong when developing Diablo III. Even the graphics do not do the originals justice. The enemies and levels are drab and uninspired. Mini games and creative side quests would have been a welcome addition. The loot sucked and the always on DRM was a disaster. The classes were very "Meh", Path of Exile is far better IMO.
  93. Nov 9, 2013
    No feel of "Diablo". Feels like a juvenile adventure game, not a gothic horror. Disappointed to say the least. Hopefully the expansion breathes new life into it.
  94. Nov 8, 2013
    Listen to the one's who play this game! IT SUCKS, the critics are being PAID by Blizzard to give it such a high rating, but the PEOPLE have spoken. We've been waiting 12 years for this game to come out and the best they can do is give us rip offs of gemcraft (the gemstones) and WoW(the graphics) I wasted my money on this game and I don't even want a refund, I deleted it off my hard drive. They control the forum chat, which by the way is where the REAL REVIEWS ARE and if they don't like what you say, they BAN YOU FOR DAYS. They refuse to make the game offline and force you to play a crappy story line, they put some girl in the game as a lead character and it just can't be taken seriously anymore. My heart stays at LOD because of the legacy it holds for me having played it all these years. I don't know what is going on with greedy blizzard but I wouldn't call it Diablo III it's more like an offbrand arcade of what once was and ALSO, they took out characters and items ONLY to put them back in the expansion?...uh RIP OFF. Why weren't they in the first release, it only seems LOGICAL. Wow this whole game is a scam, and I do NOT NOT NOT recommend it. The story line sucks, the forum chat is controled by blizzard bots who seemingly seem to comment on your every post magically as soon as you write it. BOOM 5 replies all bismerching and uncrediting your source...interesting because the MAJORITY doesn't lie. This game blows and I'm disapointed and angry that they've done nothing to fix it other than to make us pay for an expansion. The expansion should be a patch. Only then will I continue to play. I just can't believe all the people who are paid to say that this is a good game.... BS. Expand
  95. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm very disappointed because can't play offline, and the most i hate about it is, I can't sell to other person who has better Internet connection than me.
  96. Nov 3, 2013
    Horrible game, the story is crap, the music is not interesting at all, the game play is boring and it looks like a bad mix between Diablo 2 and Wow. Diablo 2 is a good game and so is Wow, but they kind of manage to make something in between which wasn't good at all. The heroes/characters you play are very annoying and so are the npc's who follows you. The graphic is kind of cartoonish which gives it a wow wipe and not dark and scary as I had hoped. That is probably because it was blizzard south (the creators of wow) and not blizzard north (the creators of Diablo 1 +2) who made the game. It is just not a natural extension of Diablo 2 and the game is too easy to play.
    My biggest hope for Diablo 3 was that it would be a good mix between Diablo 1 darkness and Diablo 2 gameplay, Sadly that didn't happen. I've waited 10 years and I'm very disappointed.
  97. Nov 1, 2013
    What else could be said about this unfortunate game that everyone else didn't do already? All of the good things from it predecessors are lost. The essence of an ARPG is nowhere to be found. You can't even change your freaking language. Another beloved franchise is ruined and you should be playing PoE instead. DON'T BUY DIABLO 3, seriously, it's a waste of money
  98. Oct 31, 2013
    Just accept that they don't get what is fun anymore, and they don't care! The console release only FURTHER proves that all Activision cares about for Blizzard is retail sales and profits. The fact that the AH are being completely removed all together just PROVES TENFOLD that we were all completely right since the beginning and let's not forget the 3 search field AH for items with 7+ affixes, real smart 'design'. Now they are trying to introduce a "Loot 2.0" system which is a f*****g b****slap to the ENDLESS plethora of players (including myself) who could not get past the fact that the itemization in this game is 100% absolutely wrong and altogether functionally a pile of s**t.

How can you deliver a game with ABSOLUTELY NO customization whatsoever on any character class and have the "Unique" and "Set" items be the WORST items in the entire game!? Where is any shred of logic or reason here? Not to mention how unbelievably ridiculously difficult it is to even get a "unique" item to even drop with 400%+ MF, it makes not one bit of difference because as soon as you ID that item it is useless salvage garbage. The best weapons in the game were blue items, the best item affixes you could find were rares. So basically in the beginning of the game all of the "elite" players had high dps blue weapons and most likely full rare equipment besides maybe 1 unique jewelry.

There was absolutely no end game content right from the get go and then they tried to introduce the key drops system and monster power as well as infernal machine. The entire game and all of these patches just felt like obvious panicked 'hotfixes' to try and keep more of the player base around for longer. This just proved again and AGAIN how ridiculously completely unfinished the game was with all of the aspects added that should have been there from before even a pathetic beta test.

Whether they will ever outright admit all of their mistakes and apologize to players they told were wrong but proved 200% right remains to be seen but at this point means nothing. Because even after they try to roll out as many changes as they want to try to remedy a completely broken s**t game, the structure of the game and character progression is COMPLETELY wrong and is still MOST of the problem for 'Diablo' franchise players. They are willing to accept change or "progression" in your eyes but COMPLETELY STRIPPING the game franchise of any character, attribute or skill customization is ridiculous and downright condemning to the point of dissolving the company if you ask me.

For some reason since the 'justin bieber' success of WoW, Blizzard/Activblindness decided it would be a good idea to completely and utterly destroy the 'Diablo' franchise and release a apathetic chin-drool dribbling braindead watered down streamlined bastard child that was "Diablo 3". When did they higher game designers that are ridiculous "Macintosh" retards? This game and all aspects of it's design reek of a putrid stomach curdling "Machintosh" or "iphone" design in that it is a plain piece of crap that everyone has exactly the same one and it looks nice on the surface but underneath it all everything is a nonfunctional piece of crap that can accomplish absolutely nothing except for chatting, and handcuffing you with hordes and HORDES OF POINTLESS UNNECESSARY DRM.

If you are a non-Mac PC user then you should steer 100% clear of D3 because the design makes little to no sense just like an iphone or any other macintosh product. Also for you loser fanboy mac retards "Apple" Records Corps was founded before the modern age of digital electronics so you are MACINTOSH. You don't even have the remote amount of respect deserved to be called "Apple" which actually represents a MUCH more important part of history. Also if you just listen to any true PC gamer they will give you an actual REALISTIC review of this p.o.s. game.

ALL of the BS "major media" game reviewers gave this game high reviews WHICH IS A COMPLETE LIE! And what is the point of EVEN HAVING a review system at all if you can just be bought off so easily?!? That means that your grading scale is ridiculously inconsistent and falsified because it marks down great games repeatedly and then HUGE HOLES AND MISTAKES in broken junk bastard child garbage like this just somehow go unnoticed?!?! How can anyone take these game review outlets seriously anymore? If you are just BLATANTLY outright lying to people's faces in print and online why should anyone ever both to pay attention to anything that comes out of those diarrhea ridden jokes for "publication".

D3 was a complete unfinished joke, WoW D3 End of Blizzard Beginning of Bastardvison

PoE is out now and 100% free to download and play 'not-for-profit' through Steam. PoE offers you EVERYTHING and MORE that you wanted to see out of a modern ARPG inspired by and evolving on the D1 & D2 style that PC gamers truly loved and enjoy to play.

GO DOWNLOAD PoE!!!
  99. Oct 27, 2013
    I can't believe how some of the official reviewers can be so blind. Especially Polygon for giving a score of 100.

After 45hrs of gameplay you think you can give a grinding game a score? Since this game is made to grind, you need at least 300 hours of gameplay before you can judge. When I say 300hrs, I mean on one character alone.
  100. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is a completely failure from the whole base. It was created for being an Auction House with graphics, nothing else. As an ARPG, this game doesn't even let you how to build your character. The personalization in this area is null. You can't level up your stats nor your skills. You only need one stat to raise via equipment. And the only thing relevant is a number called DPS. This, mixed, is a complete fail in an ARPG. Farming isn't fun, people just used this game for selling items and earn some $$$.

The graphics aren't at all close to what Diablo should be, they are way too light and colorful, and the music is a complete fail. How many tracks this game has, 2 in total?

The cutscenes are really good, tho...
  101. Nov 26, 2012
    I won't give Diablo III a 0/10. It did have smooth combat, unfortunately that's it. I won't complain that the story sucked, we all expected that as it's far from the point of a game series which was made famous as a hack and slash dungeon crawler. Everything we DO expect from Diablo has been taken out. Skill, Attributes, world PVP, not being able to just buy your way through everything with real cash. Rather than tailoring to the audience Blizzard took a "you'll enjoy what we allow you to enjoy" approach. We were forced online even for single player which wouldn't, alone, be the absolute death of the game if the server functioned half as well as the decade old Diablo II servers. Rather than customizable character builds we were forced into pre-designed characters on which the biggest difference was whether or not when you leaped you did AOE damage on falling or if it had a shorter cooldown. To replace the customizable character builds we got an overly intricate item system in which even the top tier items have stats that vary so much that no one knows where the cap's are; the item system, rather than promoting farming and gearing new characters instead just causes people to give up and shell out more real life cash to get even decent gear. In other words the entire game is tailored so that in order to reach any sort of endgame gearing level or pvp-ready level, the only two options are hundreds of hours of mindless grinding for items which, once they drop, may not even have any usable stats, or giving up hope and giving blizzard more money. That's it. The entire depth of this game can be summed up as, "try to get them hooked with smooth combat and flashy cinematics, force them to pay us more if they want their characters to be even slightly different from anyone else". Sorry for the length, and I try to be as objective as possible, but the fact of the matter is they had a system that worked and, when they saw a window for more cash, they let greed ruin it. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012