Diablo III PC

4.0

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Bugs and DRM aside, after getting to the game I have to say I found it quite difficult to get into. The RPG elements like manipulating your characters specs were extremely limiting and the story comes off like a child's nursery rhyme. The gameplay starts to get extremely repetitive and the only thing I enjoyed was boss fights. Unfortunately they do not dominate the game, killing trash mobsBugs and DRM aside, after getting to the game I have to say I found it quite difficult to get into. The RPG elements like manipulating your characters specs were extremely limiting and the story comes off like a child's nursery rhyme. The gameplay starts to get extremely repetitive and the only thing I enjoyed was boss fights. Unfortunately they do not dominate the game, killing trash mobs does. It's a well made polished game but unfortunately the game falls short of being a top scorer. Expand
  2. Jun 19, 2012
    It should be noted that the significant score gap between critics and users spawns from 1000's of Diablo II fans having their hearts broken. They swarmed here to vent about a lackadaisical release. This game is certainly not worthless; it's entertaining and usually fun to play. That said this game is by no means on the same level as it's two older siblings; comparatively it is a 3rd graderIt should be noted that the significant score gap between critics and users spawns from 1000's of Diablo II fans having their hearts broken. They swarmed here to vent about a lackadaisical release. This game is certainly not worthless; it's entertaining and usually fun to play. That said this game is by no means on the same level as it's two older siblings; comparatively it is a 3rd grader who still eats paste. Fun to talk to and can bring fresh innovations, but ultimately way behind the curve. Speaking of elementary, I would say that's about the level of intelligence required to play. Axing all customization of stat points and skills, the re-playability was dropped 100 fold. Not to say it's not fun, I'm just disappointed by one of my favorite parts of Diablo II. On the bright side, the new ideas of forging equipment and being able to remove socketed gems is excellent. Playing multiplayer with friends has never been easier. The big flaw though, is Blizzards insistence that an internet requirement. My internet slowed to a crawl the other day and rendered Diablo unplayable. A useless piece of $60 dollar software. A friend argued that to release a single player non-internet dependent would require a rewrite of the code, but I must counter that for $60, maybe Blizzard could put a little more effort in? Expand
  3. Jun 19, 2012
    Cons: Story is terrible. Voice acting is bad. Cinematics do not live up to Blizzard's Diablo 2 quality. WoW inspired skills and skill system so no great character customisation. Real Money Auction House is a joke. Looting tables and item qualities are not rewarding.

Pros: Graphics (They could be MUCH better though), Sound and Interface.
  4. Jun 18, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a mixed bag of delicious chocolate and **** shaped to look like chocolate. The gameplay in general is still fun, and the supposed dumbing down of the skill and attribute system actually works for me. This allows players to experiment with different builds without resorting to recreating a character again just to try something new. The exclusion of manual distribution ofDiablo 3 is a mixed bag of delicious chocolate and **** shaped to look like chocolate. The gameplay in general is still fun, and the supposed dumbing down of the skill and attribute system actually works for me. This allows players to experiment with different builds without resorting to recreating a character again just to try something new. The exclusion of manual distribution of attribute points is a little missed but ultimately doesn't take away too much from the game. The enemies in the game are generally well designed and fun to kill. There are, of course, some exception that make the game totally unfun to play: namely Soul Lashers (monsters that lash at you with their tongues from afar, move really quickly and somehow do massive damage out of nowhere), kamikaze imps that hide behind doors and blow up the instant you open the door; yes its a surprise unpleasant as it is but it just gets old and cheap really quickly. Some attributes of Elites are also very annoying like Invulnerable minions which make all the creatures accompanying the elite unkillable and also soaks up damage and blocks your path to the elite. Couple that with enemies that retreat and attack from afar and you got yourself a recipe for fun times!

The story , as in the plot, is fine; nothing great, just... fine. But the delivery is where everything is flushed down the toilet. Main plot lines are extremely cheesy. The scriptwriter must have had a lot of experience writing children's book because it really seems like they are the target audience for such unoriginal and tacky lines. Be it the constant whining of Diablo, which really takes away from the "terrifying" feel of the lord of terror. Or how the master of tacticians Azmodan essentially discusses his tactics with the player ever so often. Or how Magdha, a character that could only be discribed as the Jar Jar Binks of Diablo, narrates her plans like an episode of Dora the explorer. The list goes on, and trust me the list is loooong. Stupid, juvenile scriptwriting. There is, of course, some redemption in the "other" lines, of which I am sure did not come from the same person that wrote the main script. Lore books and lines from the followers are favorful and entertaining. A special nod to the deeply religious templar Kormac and to Covertus Shen. Pick it up, pick it up :)

Also, the always online part of the game is really annoying. There is absolutely no way you can play single player when the server goes down. As if i'm playing some kind of MMO. There are of course many reasons and justifications for this but ultimately, its just really annoying not being able to play by yourself when you want to.

If you're looking for a nice hack and slash game with good mechanics and replayablility, and you have a good internet connection and don't live in Australia,then yes, please give this a try. But if you're looking for a game that has good immersion and story, please for goodness sake look elsewhere because you would be sorely disappointed. I had quite high hopes for this game but unfortunately, it wasn't met. Blizzard was known for quality storytelling in its Warcraft, starcraft and Diablo series but they really dropped the ball with this one.
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    As a big fan of Blizzard Entertainment (WoW player for 5 years and played the original Warcraft and Diablo) I was kinda excited about the release of Diablo 3, but I was fairly disappointed. It could have been an AMAZING game... maybe 5+ years ago. The graphics are decent, and the spells look pretty cool. The game play once you get used to it is pretty fun and easy (definitely differentAs a big fan of Blizzard Entertainment (WoW player for 5 years and played the original Warcraft and Diablo) I was kinda excited about the release of Diablo 3, but I was fairly disappointed. It could have been an AMAZING game... maybe 5+ years ago. The graphics are decent, and the spells look pretty cool. The game play once you get used to it is pretty fun and easy (definitely different from typical MMORPG play style). The story line is probably the best thing about it thus far, well, that and that you can have your friends join you. Since I got this game for free with my year contract with WoW I really can't complain, it helps subdue boredom, but I can honestly say that if I had bought this game I'd be highly pissed. All in all I'd say its GOOD... but definitely not "10+ years to make good" Expand
  6. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good:
    Diablo III has the formula that made it's predecessors work down to an art-form. The story, while not particularly deep, is a great monster-slaying setup with stunning cutscenes and story elements. The gameplay is addictive and intuitive, offering many choices on builds for characters and the ability to swap skills/powers in and out on the fly is a welcome feature. The visuals and soundtrack are equally great, continuing to bring the dark, medieval fantasy setting of the Diablo universe alive and keeping it dark and foreboding in tone. The game length is just long enough, neither being too long or too short... especially since the game kind of dictates multiple play throughs. The multiplayer is well-implemented, the fact that you can choose to play with friends or in public games makes it the game much more private and fun than that of an MMORPG, but at the same time keeps the kind of feel of being part of a community.

The Bad:
    The item drops are way too random and the 'magic find' trait is misleading in it's function. Items you need or want won't drop unless you spend several hours, maybe even days, 'farming' for them and, more often than not, 90% of the item drops you do get will be fodder for salvage or straight-up selling. The blacksmith's item creation is also too random often requiring mass amounts of gold, resources and several costly tries to produce an item of any kind of use, which seems unfair after all the gold and resources you already dump into him to level him up in order to make him capable of making certain level items... not to mention the items he creates can only be sold for any kind of profit on the Auction House, which is hit or miss. Skills, while varied in their styles and powers, are only a masquerade. Several classes have what could be awesome abilities, but after Act I, Normal difficulty, these powers lose any and all usefulness. The class' all seem to have one or two skill/rune set combos that are the best, rendering all the other abilities obsolete, which only gets worse the higher level the character gets. This creates the illusion of customization, but it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Multiplayer, while fun, is required on higher difficulties, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Personally, I'd like to be able to go through the game by myself on any difficulty. Cramming multiplayer down my throat is an unwanted feature.

The Ugly:
    This new fad games are trying to use of only allowing players to play if they're online, even for single player, seems to be unnecessary. The Auction House, while a cool idea and useful, is a cop out, but at the same time you'll find that you have to use it in order to get your character up to a level in which he/she can survive... especially on higher difficulties.

Overall:
    It's beautiful and keeps things simple and in the vein of previous Diablos making it accessible to old and newcomers alike. The random item drop seems way off kilter, not giving you what you need to progress and forcing you to spend oodles of gold (or even real money) in the Auction House to get 'caught up'. The skills have enormous unrealized potential by only picking a few of the 'best' skills and making those the best build options and not allowing equal optimization with all the powers.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    I'm not the biggest RPG gamer around, but I daresay I know my way around a few. This is my first time playing a Diablo game, so storywise, I can't really judge. Gameplay however is lacking severely in replay-ability. The only real replay value present is dungeons are formed in randomization. Furthermore, the dungeon layouts are predictable, specifically the side quest ones. TheI'm not the biggest RPG gamer around, but I daresay I know my way around a few. This is my first time playing a Diablo game, so storywise, I can't really judge. Gameplay however is lacking severely in replay-ability. The only real replay value present is dungeons are formed in randomization. Furthermore, the dungeon layouts are predictable, specifically the side quest ones. The scripted dungeons become monotonous very quickly and if you're a thorough dungeon clearer like myself, enemies pose little to no threat on the lower difficulties. What good I can say for it is that I have enjoyed walking through the story with my friends. Having ranged, melee, and healer in a single party with some of your closest friends is truly fun no matter the game. All the basic team elements can be found in this game but the higher difficulties may bring down the enjoyment. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had evenDiablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had even ended, and no review or score should hold launch issues against a game that sold over 3.5 million copies in it's first day. Ignoring the the launch day disaster leaves us with a game that, while expertly produced, may not be so fondly remembered by history as previous installments in the franchise have been. For starters, Diablo 3's art direction (however much criticism was leveled against it during development) is as polished, focused, and well executed as all Blizzard games have become expected to be. The graphical fidelity of Diablo 3 is not state of the art; and for a very good reason. It was never meant to be. Diablo 3's graphical requirements are designed to be accessible, and in this regard the development team at Blizzard for Diablo 3 have done quite well despite the limitations they set for themselves. The lonely, desolate feel of Diablo 1 & 2 is still present in the third dimension, and overall design is still top notch. The cinematic cutscenes in Diablo 3 are probably the highest quality that can be produced with current technology and look fantastic. Unfortunately while the characters in Diablo 3's cutscenes are all jaw-gapingly pretty, Diablo 3's story fails to garner a similar reaction. In all honesty Diablo 3's writing is not bad enough to induce vomit, but it will certainly work your gag reflexes. Which is unfortunate because one of the best parts of Diablo 2 was it's dark, mysterious story of interweaving stories culminating in a showdown with Diablo, and ultimately resulting in the destruction of the Worldstone. Diablo 2's engaging story was certainly one of the factors behind the hype buildup for Diablo 3. I won't spoil anything about Diablo 3's story, but it's safe to say that story will most likely not be a replay value for most people. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately depending on how you look at it) Diablo 3's story and campain are fairly short. Expect to be through the campaign on normal difficulty in anywhere from a few hours to a day, depending on how completionist you tend to be. Nightmare difficulty takes only slightly longer, and is only slightly more difficult as well. Hell mode presents a fair leap in difficulty from both normal and nightmare difficulties, but by the time you beat the story for the 3rd time you will most likely be at or around level 60 with decent enough gear to run all 3 difficulties without too much trouble. Inferno, however, is a different story altogether. Most player's first experience in Inferno mode will most likely be dying to cannon fodder that are suddenly and mysteriously able to kill less durable classes in only a few swipes. More problematic are field minibosses which are transformed from what were essentially free magic quality loot into literal roadblocks preventing you and your friends (if you happen to be playing with them) from moving on. This is because Loot tables are set up to drop the most desirable and consistently level 60 gear from field bosses to encourage grinding out caverns and maps, and as a result field bosses are meant to be the most difficult encounters. Most actual story related boss encounters including Diablo itself are rather scripted and easy to defeat even on Inferno, and the loot they drop is accordingly scaled down. The result being that players are discouraged from farming bosses over and over and are instead encouraged to run entire dungeons or indeed acts to farm the rarest of loot. It isn't a bad thing to encourage per se, but fighting the lords of hell holds significantly less gravitas when reading their attacks tends to play out like an intense game of Simon Says.

But while the difficulty of Inferno at first encounter is frustratingly high, the actual mechanics and features of the game itself are conflictingly shallow. Gone are the stat points, skill points, and inventory management of Diablos past. In Diablo 3 everything is automatic, and you are given the option at a click of a button to create a town portal anywhere and anytime you want. The auction house is a good way to obtain items that are most likely leagues better than the ones you find for a relatively low price, and the addition of a real money auction house is honestly just valid response to gold farmers who would otherwise offer the same services. In the end, Diablo 3 is a well produced Blizzard product which does ARPG as well as is possible within the current formula. Which is a downright shame because Diablo 3 could have been a Blizzard's biggest chance to turn things upside down and breathe new life into the aging ARPG genre.
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    Good combat system, a fairly well-designed skill system that leaves you juggling constantly, and decent presentation. For me, that's where it stops. The storyline and voice acting are verging on spoof, the difficulty levels of late game are nowhere near challenging enough, and it's incredibly short. Once you've finished it two or three times there really is no need at all to ever play itGood combat system, a fairly well-designed skill system that leaves you juggling constantly, and decent presentation. For me, that's where it stops. The storyline and voice acting are verging on spoof, the difficulty levels of late game are nowhere near challenging enough, and it's incredibly short. Once you've finished it two or three times there really is no need at all to ever play it again. Overall a big letdown, in fact I'd hugely recommend Diablo 2 over this, regardless of technical advances. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    Fun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'mFun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'm pushing my monk to ACT III Inferno with 5 stacks of NV dropped it another 2 to 5. They really messed this title up Expand
  11. Jun 13, 2012
    The game has it's problems. The main one being that playing through on normal and nightmare are simply too easy to the point of being boring. By the time you get to hell mode the difficulty feels like it's where it should be, but the story is very dull by this time. You've already seen it twice and it's so short that it's not worth replaying for the sake of the story. It is an averageThe game has it's problems. The main one being that playing through on normal and nightmare are simply too easy to the point of being boring. By the time you get to hell mode the difficulty feels like it's where it should be, but the story is very dull by this time. You've already seen it twice and it's so short that it's not worth replaying for the sake of the story. It is an average game, at best. Definitely not one that will stand the test of time. Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2012
    Considering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videosConsidering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videos and quest design. These things are tolerable, although I personally hate the way everything out of Blizzard is becoming more and more cartoony and World-of-Warcraft-looking. The storytelling on the other hand is not mediocre - it's frankly terrible. Where the fascinating background lore could have been worked into an enticing, mysterious storyline, it was not. The characters are simply laughable. I really hated listening to most of them. Opponents like the "Lord of Lies" will be so daft, I found myself wondering what the target age group for the game actually is.

Yes, Diablo 3 is fun if you play through it once, maybe level up to 60 and go hunting for some gear if that's your thing, but personally I will put it on the shelf for now. I've spent my money on worse games though, so 5 out of 10 is about right.
  13. Jun 12, 2012
    This is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized andThis is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.) - taken from wikipedia - Diablo 2 Even if i played like 120hrs now,i will play more but it bores me now,diablo 2 never bored me for 4 years, Everybody say that D2 became good after lod and patches,in my opinion if this is true why couldn't they bring those goodies in D3. If this game hadn't been called Diablo it would be a 10+++++ rated game,but because it bears the name diablo,and cant exceed the minimum for it,it gets only 7. Expand
  14. Jun 12, 2012
    A decent game made worse by the fact that I can't play it when I want to.

A decent game made worse by the fact that I can't play it when I want to.

1. Regarding the online requirement: I thought that this concern was hogwash at first. However, the game is often down. I have limited windows of time to play, and more-than-rarely am I unable to play my f*cking game because the servers are down. This is structured as a single-player game with an option to co-op, so this really pisses me off. Really.
    2. The game itself is merely ok. First of all the story is weak and seems to become seriously rushed in the second act. Worse than the story is the dialogue which is terrible. I also don't care for the fact that your heroes have all sorts of irritating remarks and one-liners. I preferred the stoic types from the first two games. The gameplay is fun, but not the least bit revolutionary. Thematically the game is vastly inferior to its predecessors. Using the D3dark mod helps the atmosphere, but nothing about the game installs that sense of dread and creepiness that the first two games had.
    All that said, there's no reason to give it a 1. I don't know why it took this long to make a game that begins rushing through the plot less than halfway through and contains a very limited number of Blizzard's signature cut scenes. Meh. Swing and a foul ball, Blizz. Not nearly as good at Starcraft 2.
  15. Jun 11, 2012
    I am willing to look past the launch day errors and habitual server problems. However, I am not able to look past the flatness of Diablo 3's game play and storylines. I really can't see myself playing this game anymore; I mean how many times can a person do the same acts over and over before it becomes boring and tedious?
  16. Jun 11, 2012
    Well, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You haveWell, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You have no internet? What's the problem with that? Expand
  17. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    In a nutshell, I wasted $60 buying this and regret wasting the money. Could have been a really great game like the oldie, but is a clusterfck instead loaded with poor-performance on my high-end pc, and within a few days was trying to think of a reason to login.
  18. Jun 11, 2012
    Let me start off by saying I've been with the Diablo series since Diablo 1 first came out. Diablo3 is not the Diablo I know and love. I have two max level characters in Diablo 3.

Ok, I went into the game knowing a lot had been changed so my negative score is not based on what is written in this paragraph. Let's talk character customization. Very important in an action role-playing game, right? Not in the viewpoint of the Blizzard team that developed Diablo 3. In D3 there are no attribute points that the player can allocate. No skill points to put into the character skills either. Attribute points for every character are automatically assigned and there is no option for manual control. Skill points don't exist in the game. Skils become more powerful the character levels up. Characters are granted all skills appropriate for their level and class as they level up. That is right, you don't chose any skills or spells, you get them all. Every wizard has identical attributes and identical skills available to them. A character is limited to 6 skills at any one time but can freely swap out skills at will. There is no such thing as a "character build" in Diablo 3, there is only a "build of the moment." The only thing that will ever distinguish your wizard from someone else's wizard is what gear your wizard is wearing.

Now, let's talk gear. The itemization in the game is very poor. The items all revolve around granting the player stats. There are no fun item attributes like "chance to cast frost nova" on any item in the game. What you'll see on items are bonuses to strength, intelligence, dexterity, or armor. Bland, boring items. But the unique items are great, right? No...they are the same bland items as the random magic items that drop, only worse. Yes, those uniques (called legendary items) have nothing unique about them other than being named and having a different graphic. What is worse is that they are weaker than blue items or rares that can drop in the game.

The number of gem types is reduced in Diablo 3. Gone are charms, runes, jewels, and rune words. There is no real difference between weapon types other than graphics.A two-handed maul and a two-handed sword are essentially the same weapon with different graphics.

And about item drop rate, that is a hit on the game. As you advance in the game you would expect gear leveled to your character to drop, right? Doesn't happen in Diablo 3. When you get to the highest difficulty level in the game (you have to be the max level (60) to play on it) you'll be seeing level 57 gear drop.) Level 60 gear doesn't drop until Act 3 (out of 4) in Inferno mode. So you'll be struggling to advance while undergeared.

In order to advance in the game after you hit Inferno level you'll have to buy gear off the gold auction house or the soon coming Real Money Auction House. That's right, you'll probably need to fork over your Mastercard for gear. There are no quick ways to make gold in the game. You'll be grinding for weeks or months to buy one decent piece of equipment (with prices of items in the millions of gold pieces.)

Starting in Nightmare mode, you'll see stronger and stronger elite packs. That is great!! But what is not great is that you'll encounter elite packs with affixes that make them impossible to defeat. There is actually an "Invulnerable" affix that will make monsters immune to ALL attacks. As a ranged wizard you'll be constantly "vortexed" into melee range of elite packs, teleported on top of, or "jailed" (stunned for 5 seconds or so.) Can you say "unavoidable death?" Get used to it.

Let's talk skills/spells. I have two characters at max level. A wizard and a witch doctor. There are a lot of cool spell ideas (like a giant toad for witch doctors) that simply don't work in the game. You'll find that only one or two "builds" are viable in higher difficulty levels. That is a major "hit" on the game score to me, especially since Blizzard promised a plethora of viable builds for each class. The Diablo series has always been a single player game with multiplayer elements. Diablo 3 has no offline mode. That is right, you can't play Diablo 3 offline at all. When you go online you'll find that the general chat rooms are full of "spam-bots" hawking the wares that they botted. That is right, Battlenet 2.0 and making the game "online-only" did not prevent hacks, bots, or dupes. There are also periods of heavy lag. I'd not recommend playing hardcore if you you decide to try the game.

I can't recommend the game at this point. It is a game that is still under development (it was obviously not play-tested adequately, especially on higher difficulty levels.) Maybe in 6 months to a year they will have patched the game to make more skills actually viable in the game and dealt with the rampant cheating and terrible lag. I give the game a 5.0.
  19. Jun 11, 2012
    The gameplay is good until you get into hell difficulty and higher. At this point you are forced into the auction house to stay on the gear curve. Also there develops a huge difficulty disparity between the elite packs of enemies that can really disrupt gameplay.

If you are looking to play through the game on normal and maybe nightmare, this game is fun and engaging. After that, game play flaws become apparent in the higher difficulties as the game starts revolve around your ability to run for your life.. My review is based on the entirety of content I have experienced as a witchdoctor which includes Act 1 of inferno.
  20. Jun 11, 2012
    A great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auctionA great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auction house is easy to use and gives players a reason to hang onto redundant, yet rare equipment; Drop-in drop-out co-op is quick and well implemented; Enemy scaling with number of players ensures no challenge is lost in co-op; Ability to re-spec abilities of active character on the fly reduces the need to start characters over again in order to get the ability combinations you desire; Ui is crisp, clear and uncluttered. BAD: Game cannot be played offline, even in single player, which is unnecessary and unfair for the consumer; Intrusive, unreliable always-online DRM causes many disconnection issues; Due to always-online functionality there are significant amounts of lag and framerate issues which diminish the overall quality of the experience; Weapon system is bizarre and poorly implemented with wizard characters casting spells out of a sword that they can't actually use; Other than clothing, characters cannot be customized, which makes the character selection seem a little out-dated; Character animations and graphics are boring and don't match the wonderful water-colour-like environments; Numerous balancing issues between classes that are going to take a while to iron out; Sound effects, voice acting and music are unremarkable; Stat points are automatically assigned upon levelling-up preventing players from creating truly unique character builds; Companion characters available when playing single player are not very useful and are quite boring additions to your adventure. OVERALL: There's nothing inherently wrong with Diablo 3 - it's a left-click marathon of a game with plenty of loot and loads of enemies to kill. But it's also one of the most stressful games I have ever experienced due to the totally unnecessary always-online DRM which is seriously detrimental to the industry and rather quite worrying. Add to this the fact that Diablo 3 brings little to nothing new to the genre that it so wonderfully popularised and you've got yourself a rather disappointing game. Is Diablo 3 fun? Yes. Is it the dungeon crawler that we've all been waiting for? Probably not. Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    The long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decentThe long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decent gear. The crafting system is awful for it's cost in combination with the utter randomness of the crafting results. The old school adherence to point and click movement is annoying at bes;, frustrating and outdated is a more apt description. The lack of any customization when creating characters is disappointing, but I guess it is a minor issue (at least you can pick a gender). The only real replay factor for me came from the classes and how differently they play. However the core gameplay feels repetitive and grindy after a couple playthroughs. The general chat is a joke; it is just a breeding ground for gold seller spam. In the end I feel like Blizzard made this game ultimately for the Real Money Auction House.; which is the one feature of the game I will never use, partly because I am already done with game but mainly because I find the whole concept distasteful and greed oriented. I played for a few weeks before becoming more than bored with the game...I guess I got my money's worth out of it. But the overall game does not best reflect the amount of time they spent developing it. Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    The biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and itsThe biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and its predecessors with worse graphics from a technical perspective do a better job of creating atmosphere. Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    An incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render theAn incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render the player effectively blind for non-negotiable lengths of time-- even in single player. If Blizz fully comprehended the server expense of having all games run entirely on the server's side, it's disappointing at best and infuriating at worst that Battle.net's capacity for demand doesn't cut the mustard. Expand
  24. Jun 10, 2012
    First of this game is fun, that being said I must also point out that it is fun for a short amount of time. I picked this game up and beat it in a weekend, only to replay for maybe two hours more. Broken down I can say that the story is existent, the graphic could have been better, and the game play is repetitive after the first go around. If you want to play this at a friends or have theFirst of this game is fun, that being said I must also point out that it is fun for a short amount of time. I picked this game up and beat it in a weekend, only to replay for maybe two hours more. Broken down I can say that the story is existent, the graphic could have been better, and the game play is repetitive after the first go around. If you want to play this at a friends or have the money to spend go for it, otherwise I would recommend picking up something with a larger life span, or waiting for 2013. Blizzard let me down on this game. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2012
    Nothing to do at level 60. Do inferno over and over forever, cant even duel other players right now. so yeah have fun doing that storyline over and over hoping for good drops because 95% of the drops are not useful to anyone. Was fun at first but after 70 hours played I am bored with it.
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty) +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth +Good voiceacting and soundtrack -ridiculous always online drm -item variety feels a little disappointing -character customization lacking -story feels really rushed in the last chapters Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty)
    +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth
    +Good voiceacting and soundtrack

-ridiculous always online drm
    -item variety feels a little disappointing
    -character customization lacking
    -story feels really rushed in the last chapters

Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun game but it does not live up to the hype
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    Wonderful graphics, very immersive the first time through. But the character development system has been crippled. All characters of the same class are basically cookie cutters, no ability to customise your character as you level up except through item selection ... which is the other big flaw. Items are nowhere near as "cool" as in Diablo 2 ... they seem bland, mostly because there areWonderful graphics, very immersive the first time through. But the character development system has been crippled. All characters of the same class are basically cookie cutters, no ability to customise your character as you level up except through item selection ... which is the other big flaw. Items are nowhere near as "cool" as in Diablo 2 ... they seem bland, mostly because there are almost no special or unique or specialised powers that items give. It's all just stat boosters, so the game is just about maxing out a few stats rather than building a customised cool character over time. Add to this the fact that there is no offline version, which is annoying for players like me who basically just want to play alone for an hour at the end of a long day... so big kudos on graphics, but gameplay won't have me addicted as I was for D2. Expand
  28. gas
    Jun 9, 2012
    Reading other reviews here i see that 90% of the haters here didnt play the game and/or moan about issues that arent in the game so be warned about that, the game is not that bad.
    Told that, after 3 weeks i am progressing in inferno act 3 and there are 3 basic issues.
    1) The game is not balanced at all, it goes from way too easy to so hard to get me nervous without offering any challenging and rewarding part.

2) its actually impossible to progress in group, cause again game balance issues, so its possible to co op faceroll content but you are forced to progress alone (patches will come but hey, its late sorry).

3) The hit detection is sever side and it counts from the start of the animation, so if a mob moves the sword to hit you and you move out before it lands the hit you still get the hit, this method is super tard and cant get really why its here, also considering that the game suffers a lot for bad ping, lag and stuttering.

Blizzard is no more going for "its ready when its ready", but a more modern "we will go to patch all", as nowadays standards, patches over patches over patches.
    Honestly i bought the game and i wanna play it now, if its ready after 6 months a next time we will pay after six months. those devs policies should be legally forbidden imo.
    Imo Blizzard is no more here.
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    Look, it's not much of a game, really. It's a tool for activating a RNG. And yes, that's what the previous Diablos have been as well, but the fact that this game is just more of the same while being less interesting, is just insulting. It goes from boring to frustrating (if you can manage to play it that long, poor bastard). Once again I have to wonder at the overwhelmingly positive criticLook, it's not much of a game, really. It's a tool for activating a RNG. And yes, that's what the previous Diablos have been as well, but the fact that this game is just more of the same while being less interesting, is just insulting. It goes from boring to frustrating (if you can manage to play it that long, poor bastard). Once again I have to wonder at the overwhelmingly positive critic reviews. I wonder if they are playing the same g ame? It was never even meant to be a good game, it's meant to get people hooked in the worst possible way, and then generate money via the real money auction house. I played it all the way through to halfway through inferno, and.. meh. **** game, **** always-online-drm, **** service. Expand
  30. Xzi
    Jun 7, 2012
    Attempting to review this game without bringing emotion into it has no doubt been a challenge for a lot of people here, myself included. I've been a big fan of Blizzard since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and some of their SNES games. All the way up to World of Warcraft, and, to a lesser extent, Starcraft II.

I'm not a fan of Diablo 3. And I'm not a fan of the direction that Activision

I'm not a fan of Diablo 3. And I'm not a fan of the direction that Activision has taken Blizzard in.

Diablo 3 is a game that favors quantity over quality. It provides just enough (repeating) content to keep you going, but below the surface, none of that content is particularly interesting or enjoyable. In that sense, Diablo 3 truly shares more in common with the later years of WoW than it does with previous Diablo games.

Some insight as to why I say this: the item system has been completely revamped. Rather than interesting on-hit spell effects like you might see in the previous Diablo games, Diablo 3 focuses on watching numbers grow larger. Items that add two stats (+DEX + VIT) are supposed to impress you more than items that add one stat (+DEX). And, of course, three-stat items you're supposed to believe are the holy grail. Legendary items, which are some of the hardest to find, are most times inferior to magical items, which are found every thirty seconds or so.

Most of the game's social features have been removed. Searching for a multiplayer game is completely random, so you have no idea what your co-op buddies have in mind for their goals in playing. Whether they're going on boss runs or clearing whole areas, or what.

And Diablo 3 includes the worst possible type of DRM. Always-online. Meaning that your play is entirely determinate on whether or not Blizzard can manage to keep their servers up. Spoiler alert: most of the time they can't.

The bottom line is that Blizzard no longer knows how to make a proper Diablo game without the assistance of the former Blizzard North staff. They've paved the way for other aRPGs from other developers to take the throne. My new personal favorite, and shining example of aRPG done right, is the game Krater. I suggest you check it out on Steam. Other good upcoming games in the same genre are Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile.
  31. Jun 6, 2012
    I think Blizzard was confused when they developed this game, because of the online requirement just for the single player side of things is down right silly. I shouldn't have to log into a server to play a single player game. Mediocre story, dumb down character development, the only thing worthwhile is the animation and updated graphics. other than that it's overall not what I wouldI think Blizzard was confused when they developed this game, because of the online requirement just for the single player side of things is down right silly. I shouldn't have to log into a server to play a single player game. Mediocre story, dumb down character development, the only thing worthwhile is the animation and updated graphics. other than that it's overall not what I would have expected. Torchlight 2 must carry the proverbial torch I guess... haha at least they have a much better character system. Expand
  32. Jun 6, 2012
    I do not understand most of the praise that Diablo III is getting, nor most of the criticism. Although the auction house issues have been a problem, they weren't really game-breaking. And the login issues were mostly resolved fairly quickly. I don't think that either of these problems break the experience.

The main issue that I have with the game is that it just isn't fun to me. I can

The main issue that I have with the game is that it just isn't fun to me. I can understand that Diablo II was great back in the day, and playing this game must bring back good memories to fans. However, I never played Diablo I or II, so I feel that I might have a more unbiased opinion. And I just don't see how this game is considered up to modern standards. The just feels like a long, boring dungeon crawl with bad graphics and a slightly-above-average story.

Worst of all, the game effectively offers only one difficulty level. I was playing with 2-3 friends the whole time, who are all decent gamers, and with this group there was no challenge whatsoever in the game. We only ever died if we "stood in the fire," which is a lame game mechanic that Blizzard seems to love. Most boss fights lasted literally 30 seconds. I wasted most of my money on crafting, which I found was completely inferior to just buying gear from the auction house. And somehow I still had enough money to buy all the gear I ever wanted.

I understand that you unlock another difficulty level after you complete a playthrough, but why would I play a game again if I didn't enjoy it the first time? I was initially expecting to play the game multiple times, or at least try to find the secret level, but now none of us want to play it again. In conclusion: nothing to see here, just another over-priced, mediocre big-ticket game that's been rated way too highly by the press. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't feel up to modern standards in terms of gameplay, graphics, or length. If it were about $20-$30 cheaper, then I might recommend it.
  33. Jun 6, 2012
    After years of waiting for this game with great anticipation... Blizzard has released an RPG nothing more it doesn't feel like Diablo. Its lacking the darkness and morbid feel to it. The story is dull but the videos are amazing. I've put about 120 hours of game play so far and every hour I add on to that further confirms that I don't like it. Inferno is very challenging next to impossibleAfter years of waiting for this game with great anticipation... Blizzard has released an RPG nothing more it doesn't feel like Diablo. Its lacking the darkness and morbid feel to it. The story is dull but the videos are amazing. I've put about 120 hours of game play so far and every hour I add on to that further confirms that I don't like it. Inferno is very challenging next to impossible if you haven't farmed/purchased(gold) the gear. And the real money auction house is coming soon so if you want to beat the game pay ... Blizzard will pocket a percentage of the trades and bots will farm day in and day out. I'm done with this game onto something else thank you for nothing Blizzard. 5/10 The rest of my disappointments are listed by other users so no need to repeat. Expand
  34. Jun 6, 2012
    This is not a "0" game, though it only deserves about a 6 for the "no single player without internet" and the micro-transaction AH, and a horrible story that destroys its own franchise (Cain dies, the girl dies, Tyrel is castrated...who is left to care about?). Why did I mention AH? Because you can't get drops your own level that enable you to complete the game without buying somethingThis is not a "0" game, though it only deserves about a 6 for the "no single player without internet" and the micro-transaction AH, and a horrible story that destroys its own franchise (Cain dies, the girl dies, Tyrel is castrated...who is left to care about?). Why did I mention AH? Because you can't get drops your own level that enable you to complete the game without buying something there, or leveling up to 60 (why is it capped?) and grinding forever to equip other lower end chars. Expand
  35. Jun 5, 2012
    The game is definitely NOT a 0 I can assure you, nor is it a perfect 10. This review will probably help fans of DII (LoD inclusive). The game isn't the Diablo we loved: it is far less complex and takes less character planning. I find this detracts from my overall experience as I can't customise a character like I used to. I used to be able to level up my attributes and skills to tweak aThe game is definitely NOT a 0 I can assure you, nor is it a perfect 10. This review will probably help fans of DII (LoD inclusive). The game isn't the Diablo we loved: it is far less complex and takes less character planning. I find this detracts from my overall experience as I can't customise a character like I used to. I used to be able to level up my attributes and skills to tweak a character the way I wanted. That's all gone now. You won't be short of customisation options however with the 'rune' system, I was a fan of the DII style heavy character planning and investment type of customisation however.

Furthermore, if you create a hardcore character you are STILL at risk of losing your character if you disconnect because of a choppy network on your part or if the servers over at Blizzard go down/lag. This is even while playing in singleplayer (yes, you have latency while in singleplaer mode).

The auction house is a great addition and there's a good economy going atm, it's much easier to get the gear you want if you farm and sell your gear through this feature.

I don't like the over-emphasis on replaying the game to get bad ass looking loot. Basically, you get worthless and crap looking gear in Normal mode and it gets progressively better through each playthrough. This isn't because I can't get through Normal or anything, no no, normal is piss easy in fact. It's just that it feels like I'm treadmill gaming right from the very beginning of the game, where-as in DII I felt like I was treadmilling when I had to farm my Stones of Jordan.

Now we come to the story.... The story in Diablo 3 is presented terribly. Remember how the story of DII was told through both Marius' recounts and our own character trailing behind? Remember how we'd have to consult the wikis to learn subtle little lore tid-bits? Well that's gone. Now you have Blizzard trying to actively and without any subtlety whatsoever, force you to emotionally attach to 'Leah'. You will be killing monsters and suddenly she'll interject with how she wants to make an inn so she can help weary travellers. While I'm in the middle of killing and looting. Oh yeah that's another thing - You are forced to escort Leah and a few other annoying characters A LOT. In DII you were the lone saviour who occasionally received help but not nearly as much as this. The story is presented as if it were written for 5 year olds.... Seriously, remember Izuall from DII? Well he's back, and BOY does he want to remind you who he is after we just got told who he was. The 'Lord of Deceit' (Belial) is perhaps the worst deceiver I've ever seen: there's absolutely no subtlety to his 'master deception'. The twist in the plot can be seen from about 100 miles away it's that obvious. I think Chris Metzen needs to take a break from writing stories: it's the same old recycled **** over and over again, and every iteration of story he writes becomes more and more obvious. The Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft stories USED to have subtlety and were told and presented in an interesting way. Now it's just "HEY I'M A MAIN CHARACTER, I AM LIKE A PERSON BECAUSE I HAVE FEELINGS, CONNECT WITH ME, PLEASE CONNECT WITH ME, OMG PLOT TWIST I SOOOO DID NOT SEE THAT COMING DID YOU?!". Just awful writing.

Sometimes when you come home after a long day at work or uni and you just want to relax and play some Diablo with friends you won't be allowed to, because the servers will be down for maintenance or patching, or some useless reason like that... Even if you want to play singleplayer you won't be allowed to - it's quite a disturbing trend for singleplayer games actually.There's really not much else to say: the game isn't at all like the Diablo of old and that may be good or bad depending on what your preferences are. It's a lot simpler and there's no real character pre-planning required, but it still has quite a bit of variety to it. It's very fun to play with friends but gets quite stale in singleplayer. It is online only and thus latency is a big problem if you live in a country like Australia with terrible net speeds and you won't be able to log in during 'maintenance'. The story is terribly written AND terribly presented. The plot twists are obvious and terrible. The game is decent.. It is neither a perfect score (it HAS objective problems: like server maintenance and ping/latency in singleplayer hardcore), nor is it a 0 (it's impossible, it's decent, but that's all - nothing special). If you're a fan of Diablo II you may be disappointed; if you're quite young and have never played a point and click RPG this will probably be for you. It does feel like they're pandering a lot to a younger audience than ever before... And I think its success stems from the WoW market share. Ah well, it seems the old Diablo is gone.
  36. Jun 5, 2012
    Not worth $60. Serious latency issues almost a month after release, disconnects, hacks, etc. The game has no real customization besides gear, so it gets boring after one completion. I don't know how some people can still be playing - I'd rather be at work than sit down to play this game again. Blizzard dropped the ball on this one. It's truly a shame. I can't believe people waited 12Not worth $60. Serious latency issues almost a month after release, disconnects, hacks, etc. The game has no real customization besides gear, so it gets boring after one completion. I don't know how some people can still be playing - I'd rather be at work than sit down to play this game again. Blizzard dropped the ball on this one. It's truly a shame. I can't believe people waited 12 years for this.......no wonder there is so much angst over this game. Expand
  37. Jun 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off.Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off. The auction house is the only place to get decent gear.

The good parts of the game involve combining unlocked skills in different ways to dramatically alter how you approach combat and getting together with 3 other people to cause absolute chaos on the battlefield. I've played 70+ hours, but I think it's time to take a break until Blizzard balances the game.
  38. Jun 5, 2012
    Despite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'whoDespite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'who can cancel the dialgoue/cutscene' the fastest. Not only is the story painfully executed, but the checkpoint system is inconsistent -- completed 3/4ths of a questline in public group, restart solo and you have to start over entirely. Classes are fundamentally broken. 10 years later, and the melee penalty for barbarians and monks still exist...but you won't really suffer from them, until late hell and inferno levels where instant-death is commonplace. Witchdoctors are the pet class, but their pets don't scale and become useless after 30 hours of play. The inferno difficulty is being cleared, but primarily through overgearing and players with hundreds of hours of play (or guilds/friends/sponsors farming items for them). The difficulty curve becomes so steep, that its no longer fun to play. Molten Illusionist Jailer champions will kill 4 players, and continually kill them after dozens of respawns. The game is being solved primarily through overgearing classes and ignoring core mechanics.

The multiplayer functionality is horrible. You cannot browse open games. Chat menus are buried deep within the game. General chat is now enabled by default, to solve a problem where some players were being dropped from the game because tehy weren't part of chat. This allows us to see all the gold selling spam, that was supposedly to be elimianted through the glorious Real Money Auction House (still not working) and battle.net authentication. This will be the last Blizzard product I buy based on their reputation. Save yourself $40, and buy Torchlight 2 -- less intrusive DRM, same or better gameplay, more players (6 vs 4), mod support, and a better soundtrack.
  39. Jun 5, 2012
    100% not worth the money. If you think you are getting a great addition to epic Diablo 1 and 2 you are wrong. Class progression system is gone - no more points that can be assigned. Very linear development with all emphasis on your armor/weapons. Special abilities are 80% crap. Game feels like slash and hack type of game with Starcraft 2 type of cut scenes that look horrible (even voices100% not worth the money. If you think you are getting a great addition to epic Diablo 1 and 2 you are wrong. Class progression system is gone - no more points that can be assigned. Very linear development with all emphasis on your armor/weapons. Special abilities are 80% crap. Game feels like slash and hack type of game with Starcraft 2 type of cut scenes that look horrible (even voices are the same - Kerrigan anyone?). Graphics is sad, atmosphere nowhere to be found. Item system is crap I can't see any reason behind it but to make more $$ on weapons. Whats up with stash being so small? Music and sound is pretty bad as well. I feel that D2 and D1 had people working on them that really cared about the final product and were interested in making something long lasting that people would call EPIC, this game was not made by the same people. Overall if i have had a second chance i would not purchase this game that I waited for for so long. Blizzard, give me my money back. Expand
  40. Jun 5, 2012
    Unfortunately for a single player game with co-op play the story is far too short and repeatability verges on frustrating rather than fun, as the more difficult mode, just means the more times you get killed in 1 hit.

Co-op seems to be only for lower difficulty as the game seems to greatly punish playing with player rather than mercenaries and class balance doesn't seem to be a consideration when releasing the game, but rather as an after thought.

Pros:
    - Side conversations are entertaining
    - Still great to pick up mass loot and finding a gem of an item
    - I like the graphic style.
    - Auction house
    - 18 hours of fun game play

Cons
    - Unbalanced classes
    - Short and predictable main story line
    - additional difficulties seem more like a chore and can be really frustrating gameplay.

Note: This is from level 52 perspective, I will reach max level but that is mostly because I'm bored and not because the game gives incentive to get there.
  41. Jun 5, 2012
    Revising my review down a point after playing it more... because I'm already bored. The real difficulty for me here is that while the hack and slash aspect is well designed, so much of the other stuff was screwed up. The story is both lame and unnecessary at the same time. It feels like there's less content then previous games. The server issues are very well known at this point. TheRevising my review down a point after playing it more... because I'm already bored. The real difficulty for me here is that while the hack and slash aspect is well designed, so much of the other stuff was screwed up. The story is both lame and unnecessary at the same time. It feels like there's less content then previous games. The server issues are very well known at this point. The amount of lousy drops is really something compared to previous Diablo games, and Blizzard's admission that drops were deliberately made worse in order to protect the auction house economy is just shocking. Who plays Diablo for an auction house? The entire heart of the franchise is killing stuff for loot, not pretending that we're on eBay! (And the less said about the real money AH, the better.)

It was fun for a little while, but that didn't last. At this point I think I'm already close to being done with it. For the price, the value wasn't really there. Terribly disappointed considering Blizzard has always delivered before.
  42. NGl
    Jun 4, 2012
    Presentation 6
    Playing multiplayer is easy but only 4 players in a group? The story is really short & suck.The new skill bar is limited. Aways online play but they provided a very poor network service.
    Graphics 6.5 Diablo III looks only OK. The video is not very impressive as a morden game. Sound 7 The background music is boring makes you sleep. However voices were good. Gameplay
    Presentation 6
    Graphics 6.5
    Diablo III looks only OK. The video is not very impressive as a morden game.
    Sound 7
    The background music is boring makes you sleep. However voices were good.
    Gameplay 4.5
    No distribute point makes everyone is the same but your weapons & armors get from your real money. Game eperience is much worsen than the Diablo1&2.
    Lasting Appeal 5.0
    You may find the game is fun when you first time playing. After few days you will find the game is frustrated as you will surely struggling in inferno difficulty. The numerous difficulties and endless loot mean you can wast your whole life and your entire money in it.

5.8 OKay
  43. Jun 4, 2012
    i dont like it at all but i have to play it cause i bought it... i dont wanna refund already waste hours on it i so, but still sad, about the gameplay its fine but at the endgame it becomes pretty rigid forcing you to play one way
  44. Jun 3, 2012
    With Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphicalWith Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphical setting, to user interface issues, to key binding -- Diablo 3 is missing a lot of customization that it needs. Worst of all, there are no WASD controls; you must move via the mouse. Why do that? Why not at least give players the option of moving via WASD keys? The gameplay is solid, if a but uninspired. It's mostly just a click-fest. I'd much rather play a lot of other games if I were looking to satisfy my hack-and-slash cravings. In fact, I regret buying it for $60 -- I'd much rather have spent $20 on Torchlight 2 and then had $40 to buy something else. The user scores on MetaCritic are undeniable: people are terribly disappointed with this game. Does it deserve a 0? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Does it deserve anything above a 7? Well, I hate numerical scores, but I can say that this game is nothing more than a mere good hack-and-slash RPG. I played several hours in, trying out each of the character classes, and then put the game down. It's been over a week and I haven't touched it, and have no desire to.

I recommend passing this one up, and buying Torchlight 2 instead. Save yourself $40.
  45. Jun 3, 2012
    Oh man, where to start. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the people that are rating positive for this game have never played D1 and D2. I remember the olden days of Deamons Trainer, PKing people in town for the lulz in D1, as well as the grip of mods available for D2. This series defined my childhood, so when we get to D3... well maybe my judgement is harsh, butOh man, where to start. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the people that are rating positive for this game have never played D1 and D2. I remember the olden days of Deamons Trainer, PKing people in town for the lulz in D1, as well as the grip of mods available for D2. This series defined my childhood, so when we get to D3... well maybe my judgement is harsh, but its only from the eyes of someone who has loved this game. The new skill and leveling systems feel like they took control right out of my hands. Sure I can change my skill settings to play different, but what happened to specialization? What happened to getting those item drops that you had to think "hmm, more DPS, or that +4 to the skill that Im using?" Hell, what about STR requirements on armor, making you forgo those points in INT or VIT so that you could get that new armor on? The game feels like a dumbed down version of D3. Graphics look great... if this was a 2005-ish release. Seriously, go look at Tyrael's 1 pixel wing depth He turns the wrong way, they disappear. I just feel that this was a major disappointment. I'm currently letting my friend use my account, I have other things to play. Expand
  46. Jun 3, 2012
    Here is a 26 page thread on the official Diablo 3 forum dated June 2, 2012.:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578592473. It is an honest up to date view of how registered players rate D3. Gone are the rage reviews from the initial start up when players were unable to access and play D3 for 2 days after it's release. Gone are the reviews rated "10" for people trying to counteract
    Here is a 26 page thread on the official Diablo 3 forum dated June 2, 2012.:

It is an honest up to date view of how registered players rate D3. Gone are the rage reviews from the initial start up when players were unable to access and play D3 for 2 days after it's release. Gone are the reviews rated "10" for people trying to counteract the rage reviews. Also gone are the reviews by "professional raters", the critics that write reviews and work for magazines and web sites that rely on money recieved for advertising from game manufacturer's: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Launch-Fiasco-Proves-Video-Game-Journalism-Fails-42624.html. The average user rating shows 6.0 to 6.5. The thread says it all.
  47. Jun 3, 2012
    As much as I want to give it a 3, I know it does that deserve such a low score. This game is mediocre at best. I laugh when I read that the developers said Inferno is optional and isn't for every one WHEN IT'S THE END GAME CONTENT. Without Inferno, this game gets an immediate 4 for its lack of content compared to pricing. This game loses it's novelty fast. It may be fun at first but willAs much as I want to give it a 3, I know it does that deserve such a low score. This game is mediocre at best. I laugh when I read that the developers said Inferno is optional and isn't for every one WHEN IT'S THE END GAME CONTENT. Without Inferno, this game gets an immediate 4 for its lack of content compared to pricing. This game loses it's novelty fast. It may be fun at first but will dwindle down to a slow and tedious grind. Since people love saying INFERNO ISNT FOR EVERYONE! Will you honestly buy this game for $60 without Inferno. Expand
  48. Jun 2, 2012
    Ruined by greediness. Only fun for first time clear.

So first i want to say that diablo 3 could have been epicly amazing, if activision wasnt so greedy. The whole game is designed to force the majority of players to use real money auction house. Loot system is very terrible and random and items have ridiculously random stats, the item system is just stupid copy from world of warcraft, not
    Ruined by greediness. Only fun for first time clear.

Loot system is very terrible and random and items have ridiculously random stats, the item system is just stupid copy from world of warcraft, not creative at all.

Diablo 3 DRM just ruins the game, an internet reguirement will not stop the game from being pirated, internet reguirement will not stop the game from being hacked, the only reason why internet is reguired is the real money auction house.

Hardcore mode for example is just ruined because of internet, one disconnect and you might die, or server crash and you lose it all, hacked and lose it all.

Diablo 3 is just kite, click, kite, click kite, click kite. The game story is terrible and it doesnt make you want to say " wow " and playing it again on harder difficulties is just an agony after doing it on normal, not because of harder difficulty, its because the replay value is terrible and new modes dont bring anything new except loot thats sickly random.

Diablo 3 class balance is also terrible, casters have so much easier time and can do with much less gear.

Diablo 3 is catered for casual gamers, the only difficulty in inferno is kite spamming and spam ressing after you die, there is no real penalty for death on normal mode so spam ress away.

The biggest flaw in diablo 3 is the real money auction house, and i wanted to say more about it and why it will ruin the game.

Discussion about the value of diablo 3 gold in the real money auction house.

So a lot of people seem to think that the value will be 20 euros for every 1 million diablo 3 gold.
    Now lets say some facts, diablo 3 has 6 million players or more. In most countries the minium wage is 5-10 euros a hour, and thats minium, and most people in world get minium wage as a payment.
    Now if diablo 3 had the gold value of 20 euros for every 1 million gold. An average farmer in diablo 3 at max level can farm anywhere between 300k - 500k gold a hour that means in 20 hours ( if person did this as a job ) you would make 10 million diablo 3 gold, and now if the value was the assumed 20 euros for every 1 million diablo gold, thats 200 euros a day, and in a month thats 6000 euros. A serious gold farmer can make 1m+ a hour with farming or auction house item flipping. Also understand that there is more poor then rich people in world.
    So 6000 euros a month playing a game?
    ... Think again!!
    If the text above was reality, everyone would be doing diablo 3 as a job. And most people in games do not buy stuff to become better. They play for it instead. And if the chances of making 200 euros a day was reality everyone would be doing that.
    Pretty much all online games are spammed with gold farmers, these guys will play 24 hours a day in hope making even little money. They will undercut you, spam the rmah with thousands of items. After playing mmorpgs for years i can say that the ratio to gold seller and buyer is pretty much 100 sellers for every 10 buyers. This means prices will inflate crazy hard. In pretty much every mmorpg i know the black market value for gold is 0.70 euros for 3-5 hours of gameplay work ( gold farming ). Do notice i used word black market this means there is less sellers as legal gold selling doesnt exist, diablo 3 does not have black market, its open and safe market so there will be much much much more sellers. So more logical value, i can safely say in that in my opinion, 2 weeks after RMAH is live the gold will be anywhere between 15 - 20 million diablo gold for 1 euro. Everyone will be thinking " i will make hundreds of dollars, but when theres millions of players thinking the same and only 10 buyers for every 100 sellers, think again. Also diablo 3 has i think it was 10 free auctions after that deposit to rmah costs 1 euros for every item.
    This means 10 free deposits a week, and after that it costs money, this means the undercutting competition will be insane, as people do not want to lose their free deposits for nothing. Now this is why the game will be ruined, people will want to make money, the normal gold auction house will be so inflated that if you want to buy any good item for max level you will never find it from the gold auction house as gold will be worthless.

Its sad that this game, that looks beautiful and has good gameplay is ruined by greediness. Without the real money auction house, this game would have been perfect, as that would also have ment that internet would not have been a reguirement.

Gameplay: 6
    Graphics: 8
    Music: 7
    Replay value: 2
    Story: 2
    Multiplayer aspect: 4

Overall score 5

This game is just overpriced for the content it offers. Extremely overhyped game.
  49. Jun 2, 2012
    Riding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery beforeRiding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery before you can really experience all of what the game's got to offer. Also, itâ Expand
  50. Jun 2, 2012
    The Bad: The game was not nearly close enough to completed to be released. There was not nearly enough testing. Class balance is an issue that immediately needs to be fixed. The storyline was painfully predictable for a game that was highly secretive of the story. There is not going to be the ten year replay value that its predecessor had, but it's not a bad continuation of theThe Bad: The game was not nearly close enough to completed to be released. There was not nearly enough testing. Class balance is an issue that immediately needs to be fixed. The storyline was painfully predictable for a game that was highly secretive of the story. There is not going to be the ten year replay value that its predecessor had, but it's not a bad continuation of the franchise.

The Good: The environments are extremely interesting, with plenty of areas to explore. Some of the fights have interesting mechanics, particularly the Diablo and Belial fights.

All in all, it's not a terrible game, but much, much more work needs to be done before it's at the level at which Blizzard is held to.
  51. Jun 2, 2012
    I expected more from Diablo III. The gameplay is great and the overall quality of the game is top-notch but there are a few things about the game I find disapointing. First of all the skill tree does not allow for a great deal of customization and when leveling up we don't even get to choose which skill we want to unlock, it's already determined. Also we no longer get to spend attributeI expected more from Diablo III. The gameplay is great and the overall quality of the game is top-notch but there are a few things about the game I find disapointing. First of all the skill tree does not allow for a great deal of customization and when leveling up we don't even get to choose which skill we want to unlock, it's already determined. Also we no longer get to spend attribute points, they increase automatically as we level up. Personally if there is one mechanic I like about RPGs is deciding where I spend my points. The story is not really engaging and the campaign is quite short, I know that this game is designed to be played more than once to unlock every skills and runes but I think the campaign could have been a little longer for those of us who enjoy storytelling. I am not going to comment about connection issues as this is something that Blizzard will fix soon no doubt.
    Another thing that is a little strange to me is the damage system, the base damage of a weapon will increase your overall damage. I can understand this makes sense for the barbarian but for a wizard it seems bizarre to run around with a mace and a shield to increase spell damage and protection. In most RPGs caster are inefficient with melee weapons and shields and it makes sense like that.
    This is still a very good game... but not awesome. Blizzard could have innovated a little bit more... it's not like they didn't have time! I really wish they would start taking more risks when developing a game, they have to get out of their comfort zone. With the money they are making they have to push innovation and stop sticking to what simply works.
  52. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played any Diablo game before as I am mainly a console gamer but due to the lack of seriously good games on consoles at the moment I turned my attention to Diablo 3.
    I have not encounter any connection problem and installation was a breeze. Even creating my Battlenet account was very easy.
    So now about being online all the time. Who came up with such a bad idea. I play on a laptop so no way for me to take my laptop and play somewhere with no internet connection (train , plane...) or at least I don't want to pay for while on the go.
    The game itself:
    The graphics are pretty poor for such a long awaited game. The story is so poor that I don't even follow anymore.
    Let be clear the best part of the game is the fighting and looting and so it should be. Fighting is fun, fast and furious. Looting is plentiful.
    The game is very easy to pick up. there is no learning curve install and play it.
    For whatever it is worth if you re ready to bear to be connected non stop to play even in single mode this game is fun. It is not the big blockbuster I was expecting and I am moving back to consoles as soon as I am done with Diablo 3 and from what I see it won't be long.
    Hopefully this kind of "big Brother" control won't come to console soon but I fear it is closer than we think.
  53. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played 100+ hours of this game on Hardcore mode. Leveled each class to at least 30+ (except Wizard).

Here is a pro and con list that I've compiled:

Pros

1. Skills and runes are varied.

2. The affixes for monsters are cool and interesting.

3. Hardcore mode was included.

4. The sound bites of lore.

5. Achievements. 6. The banner that you can customize.

7. Armor dye.

8. More gem grades (more than D2).

9. Cool cinematics.

Cons

1. A lot of the skills and runes seem worthless compared to others.

2. Players can receive credit and quest experience while sitting in town.

3. The checkpoint system is easily exploited. For instance, players can repeatedly farm the same rare monster pack if it's subsequent to a checkpoint.

4. The art direction is a little too over-the-top. In other words, too WoWish, with the big hands, shoulders, etc. I'd prefer it if Diablo 3 were a little more bleak and realistic looking. The monsters in this game look evil, but they're evil in a silly over-the-top way, not in a "holy #&#@ that thing is actually scary" kind of way.

5. The story is juvenile as well as predictable.

6. The voice acting is too over-the-top and the lines are, again, juvenile. Not all of it, but a good portion. For example, "You will never defeat me! Rawr!" - Skeleton King. Come on now. The Skeleton King in the original Diablo was much more intimidating and scary.

7. Game is too short. In an age where games like Skyrim exist, this is unacceptable.

8. The music is forgettable, and the way it is blared in the cinematics is annoying. The only song I liked was the reimagined Tristram theme in the first act.

9. Followers can't be used in multiplayer games.

10. A lot of times, there are too many effects, monsters and stuff on the screen all at once in multiplayer games.

11. Itemization in its entirety is less interesting and simpler in D3 than D2. "I'm a Witch Doctor; therefore, I concentrate on intelligence (DPS) and vitality, derp. All done." And the items are equally uninteresting. Then there are the horrendous drops. Does Magic Find even work? Finally, legendaries seem too rare and are not powerful enough.

12. Wizards running around with two handed axes and Barbarians with daggers. In other words, classes, for the most part, do not restrict which items you can or cannot use.

13. Male wizard looks like a pansy while the female wizard looks fine.

14. No way to search for players to look at their items, achievements, and characters. You can only look at the profiles of players who you've recently played with--or your friend's. 15. The time it takes to get to 60 is too short. 16. No PKing. And by PK, I mean actual PKing, not World of Warcraft battlegrounds and Arena (but as of now we don't even have that). 17. Matchmaking as opposed to a readily available list of public games where you can select exactly which game you want to join like in D2. 18. Having to listen to the same lines of dialogue and play through the same story events over and over again even though you're at the point where you've experienced it all before and is now only interested in leveling and itemization. 19. The servers are too unstable for a game that is online only. 20. Feminine-looking Diablo. Why did they do this? I don't know, but it looks stupid.
  54. Jun 2, 2012
    I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House,I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House, multiplayer and PvP (or lack of) as this has been done ad naseum so this is simply my impression of the game. I like the graphics (yes, they are a tad cartoonish unlike the other Diablo games) but the environment itself is moody and "feels" big. The game seems almost too easy on Normal, which is fine with me as I want to feel badass while being able to enjoy the game......not yell at it. They definitely simplified this from its predecessor.......again, fine with me. I just want to kill, look cool doing it and grab some really cool loot and Diablo 3 delivers. Expand
  55. Jun 2, 2012
    Still pretty frequent server outages. The game is far too easy on the initial difficulty, and very boring until you unlock more abilities. At that point it becomes pretty fun, at least for awhile. The plot is hilariously bad in the first act, but it does improve later.

If you haven't played borderlands yet, I'd give that a shot first. Diablo will likely be much more fun in a year or so when they've fixed all the server issues, gameplay balance, and bugs.
  56. Jun 1, 2012
    I have 60 hours + in and I can honestly say I'm not digging the game anymore. Once the novelty wears off, which it does fairly quickly after the first playthrough, I was left with the question of why I am even playing anymore. @ max level there is no more progression for your character outside of acquiring gear which is best obtained from the auction house. Blizz even admitted that theyI have 60 hours + in and I can honestly say I'm not digging the game anymore. Once the novelty wears off, which it does fairly quickly after the first playthrough, I was left with the question of why I am even playing anymore. @ max level there is no more progression for your character outside of acquiring gear which is best obtained from the auction house. Blizz even admitted that they balanced item drops with the AH in mind; Blizz also takes a cut from the real money AH when it goes live. There is no point in having more than one of each class because skills aren't built up and you don't place stat points, everyone has the exact same everything. Even when picking stats on gear it's pretty much a no-brainer. I've paid far less for games that I've enjoyed much more, but the first few playthroughs especially if you play hardcore can be quite entertaining. Initially I would have given this a 7 but because of the lack of offline single player (why do I have to be online and lagging all the time on my single player character?) and the persistent problems of servers being constantly down at inconvenient times for over two weeks now, I am giving it a 6. I don't think this game is worth 60 bucks at all, maybe 20. Woe to those who are expecting a new and improved Diablo 2; this isn't it. Expand
  57. Jun 1, 2012
    Entertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills withoutEntertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills without knowing exactly how they compare. I'm not an expert player but I resent that the entire game has to be played through on Normal difficulty (which is rarely challenging) before being presented with the choice to increase the difficulty (and thus make the thing more engaging than simply clicking a million enemies to death with little thought or tactics). The always-connected issue is just as ludicrous as others have complained about... I have ZERO desire to play this with strangers online and as for always-on removing the ability to cheat - who actually cares about that other than the hard-core pvp knuckleheads that will still insist that the other guy is SOMEHOW cheating? I'm mostly disappointed that I bought a digital copy of this that I can't re-sell when I am done with it (which will probably be quite soon). Expand
  58. Jun 1, 2012
    The game itself is really very good, but you'd expect after so many years of developing it, on top of years of experience with World of Warcraft, they'd get some basics right. The server stability is abominable, performance of the game on high-end systems is unpredictable and the auction house, which could have been just about copied straight out of World of Warcraft, is really limited. IThe game itself is really very good, but you'd expect after so many years of developing it, on top of years of experience with World of Warcraft, they'd get some basics right. The server stability is abominable, performance of the game on high-end systems is unpredictable and the auction house, which could have been just about copied straight out of World of Warcraft, is really limited. I can only hope patches make all this better in the near future. Expand
  59. Jun 1, 2012
    I preoredered the game as many others, and as many others EUR players I get continuously stuck with the log in page and something like error (insert random number).
    I played it. A lot. And the game itself contains a lot of overlookable flaws, like the graphic.
    But that's all folks: crafting is rendered useless due extreme costs and poor chancesw to get something good, random loot forces the player to trade in cash the items to get something good on the AH (which is one of the problem of the game on my advice).
    Talking about loot and gear we have the (so I think) nucleous of the game, and a rotten one: "gear is everything". Not build, not ability, no, the gear.
    Now, if we have a decent rpg we should have a good plot (which D3's isn't, flat, simple and short as it is) and a good fighting system (where good=balanced) where the most capable gamers go on and the least try to get better by trial & error.
    Here we have 3 "casual" difficulties (yes, I played the whole game three times in a row and, yeah, it is way too boring) and a hard one (plus an hardcore mode for the skilled ones, or the lucky ones rather), which it isn't really hard, it is simply masochistic.
    You get oneshotted by every damn mod if you try the 2nd act in a "rpg-like" (so skill>gear) way.
    But when you equip in a good way (which means a lot of farming, and the boring one, where you find nothing even decent and sell a whole bag of stuff to the vendors) you reap every enemy, almost without effort (still there are some random monster (yeah, random is a keyword) that you simply CANNOT defeat because of their abilities. This is not hard, this is frustrating and useless.
    In syntesis, the only way in Diablo 3 is brute strenght (customisation = 0, you can change the sex and the active skills, but every x lvl character (class of choice) i equal to every other of the same level and class. And more of it none has a background or something to define him (change of quotes in-game, but the mission-related speech is the same, just dubbed with different voices). You cannot gent "into" the character, which isn't good.
    Talking about variety we get near the core: the usual way (in abyss or inferno) are: farm farm farm farm, something good? no, sell all, auction house, can I buy anything? no, farm farm farm farm to get more gold (since hoping in a better luck isn't likely to work).
    So it will become a pay4win? I very think so!
    The normal reaction would be "but it sure has extras, right?" Wrong! No extra random dungeon (was it too hard or you just want us to pay to have 'em?), no extra mission apart from the main story, no minigames....it is "story or gtfo", end of the story.
    Topped already? Get another character and start again from scratch.
    It isn't fun? You already paid, so why should they care?
    The only things for this 5/10 score are the graphics (not that good and not that dark, but they get the job done) and the community (chat and laugh between a slaughter and the other is almost more fun than the game itself).
    I have also played D2:lod and the only good changes are the shared trunk and (to me) the 6 slots of skills (I always forgot which F had the ability I wanted), the worst things are the shrunken locations and the absence of customisation in skills (ok, you can change the build, but it almost counts nothing, compared to the importance of the gear).
    Will I continue playing? Yeah, If I pay for something I will play it totally, even if I don't like it that much (think about FFX-2...).
    Of course if they're not mantaining a full server.
  60. May 31, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't play diablo 1,2, this is the first time that I've played Blizzard game and I just get into it on killing the skeleton king in the beginning of the act, the story goes very smoothly with decent of side quests which usually have a percentage of good rewards. I liked the fact that the smithing system which it will produce different effects of each piece of equipments,To be honest, I haven't play diablo 1,2, this is the first time that I've played Blizzard game and I just get into it on killing the skeleton king in the beginning of the act, the story goes very smoothly with decent of side quests which usually have a percentage of good rewards. I liked the fact that the smithing system which it will produce different effects of each piece of equipments, making me wanted to collect the materials and smith again, increase the durability of the game. HOWEVER, there are many weak points of this game which lower the score, in my opinion, I really dislike the difficulty system which restricted you to play through the whole four acts till you unlock the next difficulty, it was very boring that you already remembered all the monsters location and the mission. IF you are trying to get to inferno difficulty, imagine how many times you have to play through the complete identical four acts again and wasting your time. Another point that I hate this game was the server system, often times I was getting so piss off due to the fact that I always get kicked from the server because it was full, how ridiculous was that, and you had to wait for half an hour in order to continue the game, what was the idea behind this, kept us lock in a room and wait for the countdown to complete? You bought this game to enjoy, not to wait. Actually there also have many bad areas about this game, but these were the main once. To make an conclusion, I think that this was a so-so game wont worth freaken 69.99 USD for that. Expand
  61. May 31, 2012
    So just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diabloSo just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diablo 2 used to be crystal clear to read and compare and showed damage done as well as gave synergies to make it really interesting. On top of that attribute points are allocated automatically. That leaves player with no choices making character boring. Story is not memorable at all beside few little moments. They managed to make the game so generic that it pains me to say this. Game is boring after a while. It doesn't bring anything really innovative to the table(and I would say it even takes away). Some would say that they brought auction house and characters are more balanced for PvP but again(what PvP?) there's no PvP. Personally I finished the game on normal and I'm not so sure that there's enough to keep me going. There's only four players in a group and maps seem very small. They had 12 years to make a great polished game. It seems that Blizzard prioritizes MMos now so everything else is an addition. Instead of evolving great game and implementing more ideas into the game, blizzard managed to give diablo 3 a console feel. Yes I said that right, console. Game would be fine as a release for a console. Just to sum it up. Blizzard somehow managed to avoid almost everything that was great about diablo 2 and make something(some would say different) but I would say worse since as of now I don't see myself playing it 12 years from now as I did with diablo 2. Some newcomers might like it, but seasoned players growing up on diablo and diablo 2 surely wont be so happy and they make majority. I guess they only hope lies in Torchlight 2 which is going to cost 1/3 of what diablo 3 did and seems much better in aspect of uniqueness and implementation. Well we'll have to wait a little since release date is set to summer 2012. Thank you for reading my rambling and I hope someone from Blizzard wakes up and realizes that they wasted pretty big opportunity to make even bigger bucks.PS Blizzard if you ever need help with ideas and implementation just contact me since there's a serious lack of talent on your team. Also I apologize for my English as as of now it's not perfect and thank you for reading. Expand
  62. May 31, 2012
    Diablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone canDiablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone can spend cash on gold, or even cash in the real-world currency AH, buy all the gear they want and then go "pwn sum nubs" with their elite gear that they just bought from someone who spent hours to find it. Another dissapointment is the completely ridiculous, unoriginal pile of trash that they call a story. Who wrote the story for this game? Were they drunk? Were they dropped on their head as a child!? The story is so mediocre that I can't even describe in words the mediocrity of the depth and lack of any actual interesting aspect within D3's plot. Towards the end it gets interesting, but just for a few moments, then it goes back to being an uninspired joke. The cinematics are epic, but way too short. I really think that Blizzard could have done better wtih both the story and cinematics. Diablo 2 had much better cutscenes, and the fight scenes within D3's are very short and uninteresting. Very disappointing Blizz, Starcraft 2 had better cutscenes than this, so why couldn't you do D3's with the same energy that you put into SC2's!? Now, the ranting is over. On to the good. Diablo 3 has a unique and interesting skill system. The game is designed to be unique to each individual, and that their is no supreme, or most-optimal build. This is true, and Blizz designed the skill system well. The game now relies more on skill rather than what website you copied your build from. I am impressed by the rune system and the sheer amount of variety you can have toying with your character's abilities. One thing that I love about Diablo 3, is the art style. Yes it is mildly cartoony, and I am aware of the seemingly WoW inspired graphics, but the environments look awesome, enemies are great to look at, and the backdrops are interesting. Another problem I have in this game, is the ridiculous character design. The Witch Doctor looks fine, so does the Barbarian, but a few of the others are bizarre and almost out of place. The female monk looks like a white Halle Berry, the male Wizard looks like he just stepped out of a Japanese anime and the male Demon Hunter looks like a teenaged junkie. In conclusion Diablo 3 is an excellent game, even if you must suffer through digital communism, er, I mean Blizzard's DRM via Batle.net. I give D3 a 7.5/10. Pros: Addictive gameplay, great skill system, varied enemy variety and interesting artstyle Cons: DRM, auction house DESTROYS balance, short and non-epic cutscenes, terrible story that lacks both imagination and originality Expand
  63. May 31, 2012
    I've put in about 70-80 hours into this game so far, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth at this point. But is it a good game? Diablo 3 has definitely improved when it comes to being user friendly with a polished interface. The game just can't seem to live up to Diablo 2's greatness, though. Whenever I got a new piece of loot, it just didn't give me that sameI've put in about 70-80 hours into this game so far, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth at this point. But is it a good game? Diablo 3 has definitely improved when it comes to being user friendly with a polished interface. The game just can't seem to live up to Diablo 2's greatness, though. Whenever I got a new piece of loot, it just didn't give me that same thrill. Maybe it's because of the fact that I know I can just go buy that piece of loot on the auction house if I want to. I really don't know, but it just didn't give me that same feeling. Since the game is designed around getting better loot, I have little desire to continue at this point. I've made it into Hell difficulty, and it's fun, but there's just nothing there to keep me playing. Expand
  64. May 31, 2012
    Diablo 3 Is not at all what I had expected. I don't care about server downtime and real money auction house these things will be solved. I do care about a fun game. I liked the story part of the game but dungeons ar far to short and the quests are far to fast. Cut scenes on bosses are anoying and not being abel to teleport trough different acts is frustrateing. Pvp is not avilable wichDiablo 3 Is not at all what I had expected. I don't care about server downtime and real money auction house these things will be solved. I do care about a fun game. I liked the story part of the game but dungeons ar far to short and the quests are far to fast. Cut scenes on bosses are anoying and not being abel to teleport trough different acts is frustrateing. Pvp is not avilable wich means that all you can do is get good gear and then show it to people. We need PVP! What I miss moastly from diablo 2 though is that items were usefull in so man ways. In diablo 3 the onlything that matters is the items stats and nothing else. This means that soon evry one will figure out the best build and use that. There is no magic in selecting skills. There is no rune words or other ways of customising your wepons.

I think the game needs alot of new features to be fun in the lnog run.
  65. May 31, 2012
    Superficially a very good game of the Hack&Slay&Loot variety. They took the old interface and made it state of the art and polished resulting in an ease of use I seldom found in a game. Though not gorgeous, the graphics are pretty. It has to be like that, because Blizzards business model seems to revolve around having masses of users, so the high end gamers are not high on their list ofSuperficially a very good game of the Hack&Slay&Loot variety. They took the old interface and made it state of the art and polished resulting in an ease of use I seldom found in a game. Though not gorgeous, the graphics are pretty. It has to be like that, because Blizzards business model seems to revolve around having masses of users, so the high end gamers are not high on their list of people to satisfy, I presume. The story is lame, but that was to be expected. Overall I would give 8 points or so, maybe 9, but there are 2 features of the game that are - in equal parts - worth a downgrade to 5:
    - The loot system seems to be the result of their business case again, trying to get people to use the auction houses: --It's a bit like WOW's: no item drop ever is appropriate to your current level, but some levels below. --Even worse: the algorithm behind the random generated magical properties of even the rarest of items is - intentionally, as far as I can glean from the answers of Blizzard's staff on the forums - not taking into account whether the combination of properties makes sense. Combined with rarity apparently mainly influencing the number of properties, a rare item is usually also crappy item. My reaction to a rare item on the floor was at first: "Yay! A rare, cool!" accompanied by a warm feeling of reward. But the cold shower of a useless combo of +10 INT, +10 STR, +1% chance for more gold or something like that followed immediately. A rare item being useful - not only to my class, but to any class - is rare indeed, and since the game is about loot, this tones the experience down a lot.. - And secondly, the online requirement. In itself worth a downgrade of 1 point for punishing legit users and preventing gaming in the most modes of travel, Blizzard is not able or willing to provide the service, and that includes single player obviously (blessed the times when this was a contradiction in itself), to all players. Whether that is due to financial considerations or technical inability I don't know, but it kills the mood.

So the 2 big downers for the game are both in the psychological department: items named rare and legendary are no reward, but usually crap, and one to often is booted from the game or not even able to get in (for me it was around 10% of the days I wanted to play ) Oh - And I got no pdf manual with my digital download. Should be a 4 really...
  66. May 30, 2012
    Being a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include theBeing a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include the online-only DRM, extreme server instability, constant server downtimes, oversimplification of item suffixes, as well as the removal of many rather D2 staples, such as item runes, powerful mercenaries and an effective lobby system. Additionally, while the new skill system is interesting and fresh, I can't yet say with certainty that it's an improvement over D2's. Is Diablo 3 a good game? Certainly, it's great. Is it better than Diablo 2? Only time will tell. Expand
  67. May 30, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, whatLet me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, what you find in this game is a promising albeit far too linear game. In such a deep dungeon crawler, the simplified stat system just isn't right. Maybe for less experienced players, but for all, just no. Also, the way i'm spoon fed quests, makes me feel like there isnt much else to do in this game, theres occasional optional dungeons, but the rewards in there are mediocre at best. At least the deepish combat redeems the games flaws and playing never feels like a chore, i'm challenged even on normal. Music and sound are great and the soundtrack always feels right. I can see how some dont like the graphics but they're satisfactory in my opinion. And finally, the story is there, but i dont particularly care about it, it's not all that engaging. In Closing:
    The anticipated diablo 3 is a good game, but has an abundance of flaws for Blizzard to fix. If they can fix the character customization and stat assignments, along with further expansions making the game feel more open, they'll have a much better game on their hands, remember internet, it's been out for 2 weeks. **** will be fixed.
    The Verdict: Unless you MUST play this game, download the cheaper Torchlight 2 and wait for Diablo to get a few more patches(i hope these patches will fix stuff) or maybe an expansion.
  68. May 30, 2012
    Sigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. ISigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. I have played the game through to hell mode (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) and i am giving this a fair review as most are just pissed off and give it a 1 or 0 i feel Diablo III should be rated at a 5, Not worth 60$ maybe 30$ and i would wait to even buy for the reason that they have a lot of work to do in making that game playable. Expand
  69. May 30, 2012
    Its a solid game but its unfortunately always going to be compared to its superior predecessor. Pros
    * The graphics are an upgrade from D2 but lets be honest, they'd have to be since D2 is more than 12 years old at this point. The graphics are nice but not mind blowing. I do however like the destructible environment. * Like other Diablo games the game is addictive. At least until you reach Hell or Inferno (depending on your ability) where the game kind of loses it's appeal. Trash mobs that are more powerful than Diablo become somewhat common as well as being one shot by most of them. It eventually becomes much easier to just buy gear upgrades which again kills and replay value. Cons
    *Despite Blizzard's mantra "when it's ready" and its 10 year development cycle this game wasn't ready when it was released. Blizzard hyped release parties but because of server problems (even when playing solo) most people couldn't even log into the game for the first few days. Some people say that this should be expected but I call it unacceptable. If a game is released then that means that it has Blizzard stamp of approval. * There's absolutely no need to require a constant internet connection to play this game in single player mode. This means that at some point in the future, even if it's 20 years from now people who purchased this game and have the CD won't be able to play it any more. * The auction house ruins a game that pretty much entirely based on gear. * The idea to not make any items BoP or BoE blows my mind. This means that every item that ever drops in the game for every player will always exist in the economy unless someone purposely vendors or salvages it. Think about that. Every item ever dropped. * The talent trees are a step backwards from that of D2. * The replay value is a lot less than that of D2.
  70. May 30, 2012
    I've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't beenI've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't been implemented yet. Now on to the review.

The good:
    - Decent voice acting
    - Scoundrel has some hillarious conversations when talking to other people
    - Amazing CGI cut scenes
    - You can pretty much use all your skills even when you are 60. I remember back in Diablo 2, you would never use the skill you got early on when you hit 99 or even 20.
    - Some challenging battles (challenging vs cheap)
    - Easy to play gameplay so it opens up the series to beginners and advance players alike. The learning curve isn't bad, but with runes and such, advance players can have fun trying out new play styles.
    - Loot!

The Bad
    - ONLINE DRM (horrible idea and as I see it as a disservice to customers. If I'm expected to play single player, but always have a internet connection, then I expect Blizzard to always have servers ready for the high payload of customers logging in. To this date they have had some issues of logins (for example yesterday I received the infamous error 37 again).

- Only 4 people can play together in a party together vs 8. Hell, at LEAST make it 5 people since there are 5 classes.

- Story is a bit cliché. Not to ruin it for anyone (and don't read any further if you REALLY don't want a hint about the story) but remember how Starcraft had Kerrigan and Warcraft had Arthas? Not exactly like that, but similar in some ways.

- Magic find % seems useless at times. Now I know it's random, but I had 125% magic find with no rare drops in 2 hours of playtime on Hell mode. My friend had 9% and got about 10 rare items. Again I know it is random, but it has happened on many occasions. Interesting thing is, when you play a lower difficulty or do a second run through again on the same difficulty, rare items seem to drop more.

- There's a difference when a game is challenging and just plain cheap. Some parts of hell are fun, but there are others when an blue mob has both freezing and desecration ability and freezes you in place, then burns you down while frozen with their desecration move and on top of that they can teleport and shoot 5 arcane sentry laser to burn you further while you are frozen. - No more spamming heal pots! That's what made grinding fun back in D2, you can carry a stack of potions and it made it intense fight. Versus waiting 30 secs or something like that. Blizzard should at least shorten the cool down time or remove it.

- Blizzard nerfs. Sad to say, but I feel as PVP comes out, they will start nerfing classes even more to the point where classes become useless in PVE. Hopefully (and a BIG hope at that) PVP will have their own sets of class "nerfs" to balance issues, but PVE will be untouched (or at least make classes useful for PVE'ing). FYI I have a Monk and I feel they are the Death Knights of being nerfed constantly.

Finals thoughts:
    While this game is fun, it doesn't deserve a perfect a review. The very fact that Blizzard has taken out content that was suppose to be in the game doesn't help. Yes I know they plan on perfecting it (which I am a fan of when companies sincerely want to improve something), but I find it hard to believe it took them 10+ years to still perfect a game. Heck even 4 years since they debuted the Barbarian gameplay. IMHO, I strongly feel Blizzard is trying to milk out the game as long as possible by bits and parts of the game that should've been ready to go from the start (pets, pvp, enchanting, etc). Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game to play with friends and family, however it's far from being a perfect and polished game that doesn't warrant the 10+ years of waiting.
  71. May 30, 2012
    I have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves theI have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves the impression you get in the end. Talking about dissapointments: no skill trees anymore, so lack of character customization. Auction house with real money sales will kill the game based solely on items stats. Misuc is lousy, and most of the time you feel like there is none at all. And the graphics could have been better. Would be the best if you don't use zoom at all. And now, the final flaw: logging int this game in normal hours (from after working hours till sleep time) is far from possible, lags can be terrible as well while you luckily log in. This game is not cheap,so the availability problems can really play on nerves sometimes.

All in all: this is a good game. Not great, not lame. Good piece of work, although not worth the legend it posess.
  72. May 30, 2012
    First of: I can´t give Diablo 3 a 0 because the game itself for me is a 10/10.

First of: I can´t give Diablo 3 a 0 because the game itself for me is a 10/10.

Now to that DRM-Crap: What makes you people (game publishers) think, that DRM is the right way? Do u really think that an internet connection is something that everybody can afford or get easily? I ordered 2 copies of this game to make my cousin in Bosnia a present so he can play Diablo 3 at home and be happy. But wait, he has no internet connection... REALLY??? how can he dare to have no internet connection in a country where most of the people have a average income of like 600 dollars or below? You have to understand that DRM is not only bad for people who just like to complain about everything, it IS bad for all gamers and i don´t know what kind of an idiot marketing manager really believes that this is a good marketing strategy. you are so afraid of piracy that you think that you will starve to death without noticing, that you would sell even more without drm... i even know people in germany who can´t afford an internet connection so even if i buy someone a whole new pc in combination with diablo 3 he won´t be able to play it at home. nice work and have fun generating money, i see that gaming is more and more becoming a privilege for extraordinary moneywasters who can be online 24/7... like me
  73. May 30, 2012
    I really liked the art and story. That said, it doesn't advance the genre and the single player online-only DRM is a huge insult to fans. It just looks like a big corporate prank on the players who've stood by Blizzard for years (and with good reason). It's all about the gameplay. No gameplay = no love. Aim for a good game Bliizard, not just the money and DRM.
  74. May 29, 2012
    I wouldn't call this anything more than an average game. Story is silly and almost non-existant, graphics are actually terrible for a game released in 2012 (Not much better than WoW's graphics) and the gameplay hasn't changed the slightest since Diablo 2 (Which could be a good thing, depending on who you ask). While it is entertaining for maybe 30 minutes at a time, it just plain doesn'tI wouldn't call this anything more than an average game. Story is silly and almost non-existant, graphics are actually terrible for a game released in 2012 (Not much better than WoW's graphics) and the gameplay hasn't changed the slightest since Diablo 2 (Which could be a good thing, depending on who you ask). While it is entertaining for maybe 30 minutes at a time, it just plain doesn't cut it. This game feels nothing like a game should for this decade. Expand
  75. May 29, 2012
    I typically write very long and detailed reviews about games and what parts of them i like and don't like.
    For this game I will not do that, and instead get right to the point: This game is broken. If I had a game that crashed so often I couldnt play it, that would be this game. The gameplay is terrific, and I love everything about it, but its just broken. Server issues or not, I am INDEED ENTITLED to a functional product whenever I purchase it from the store. I will want to play with this product at whatever time I please, even if it is during the "prime time" that also has the worst server issues. What I expect from a commercial product is consistent across all things and so I choose to publicly denounce this game for its poor release but perhaps give it another chance once it is finally completed. I will do what I would do with a broken car and return it and seek my money back.
  76. May 28, 2012
    Still getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which IStill getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which I personally prefer. The only thing that bothers me is the random stats on gear producing an abundance of throw-away items, which is fine on blues but shouldn't really happen on rares or legendaries, particularly class specifics. It seems as though most items are meant to go to the Smith for crafting mats, I'd rather this was a more difficult choice where gear was auctionable or worth keeping for other characters. My only other major complaint its the AH, where pattern and artisan training searches in particular appear to be broken, but I'm confident that longer term this will be resolved. In all, an addictive game and a solid successor to a game that was always built around epic gear lust with fun but shallow actual gameplay. Expand
  77. May 28, 2012
    The game's alright with some flaws.

The game's alright with some flaws.

The good: For normal and nightmare difficulties, it's a lot of fun blowing up mooks. No more stupid skill trees, just a set of skills with options you unlock as you level. The bad: Higher difficulties suck. You pretty much need the best gear from the AH or you will be one-shotted. Inferno is pretty much unplayable for a middle-core player. Lots of boss combinations are really frustrating. The 30s cooldown on potions and long cooldown on defensive skills means every fight is pretty much do-or-die. You can't run away, you can't stock up on potions. Monsters will hit you even though on-screen you're far apart. If you die to a story-boss you need to start over. Lots of frustration/

Speaking of story, it's atrocious and hammy. Everyone carries the idiot ball, and most of the plot dialog is really poor. There's a lot of pointless GRIMDARK things too, like when you save a soldier and then he immediately explodes. Why? Because diablo is GRIM and MATURE, I guess.

The campaign is also really short, even though you replay it for each new game+ mode. Like, if you play at a moderate clip you'll probably finish normal mode in 10 hours or so. There aren't many side paths to explore, and the side-caves that are present tend to have minimal rewards.

So overall it's kind of fun, but it's also really frustrating and kind of hollow. They should rebalance the higher difficulties and add some sort of infinite dungeon. Otherwise, all that's left is farming for loot so you can farm for better loot.
  78. May 28, 2012
    this game simply couldnt motivate me playing beyond a onetime playthrough. i heard its getting tougher and everything, but why should i rush through the same dungeons all over again. will be talking a closer look at the multiplayer, though
  79. May 28, 2012
    After actually being able to play the game, I am now rereviewing it. The game is pretty fun, the loot system very well done. Combat is enjoyable, as is exporation. The addition of random dungoes and random mini-quests is quite entertaining and boosts replay value.

A couple of points have been subtracted for the Always On DRM, and the inability to distribute attribute points manually.

Overall I'd recommend it, but Blizzard *really* needs to get away from the auto-point distributing.
  80. May 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are adequate, the cutscenes while striking are extremely poorly encoded, looking pixellated and blocky (heaven knows why Blizz didn't use a better video codec than Theora).

The story is woefully short, linear, and predictable - apart from the one twist in the story when Adria does her business, the story doesn't just go exactly how you might guess it would, it goes exactly how the characters say it will.

Only play this game if you like relatively easy grinding for gear.
  81. May 28, 2012
    It's amazing the disparity between metacritic "Critic reviews" and user reviews. There must be something magical that "Critics" are experiencing whom "users" are not, quite the opposite of any other review community; take for example the movie review community. This game really deserves a 6. A 6 because: -Although it is quite good, it is absolutely plagued by development issues.
    -It is
    -It is another game where basically gamers around the world get to pay (full price) to finish beta testing it.
    -Certain important features of the game are totally unaccessable.
    -As we all know, its release was horrendous.
    -Normal mode is excruciately easy, by the time you get to nightmare where things "get challenging" (which they don't), you have already seen the story line. -The Acts take place with 98% similarity in setting to the acts of Diablo II. After 10+ years of development.... really?

Due to all these issues, I have generally spent more time being dissapointed in the game rather than enjoying it. TO META CRITIC: Whats the point of having "Critic" reviews who all simply prostitute out their reviews and scores? Critic and user reviews should fall in like +/- 1 or two points. All the glaring issues in this game and they still undress themselves with big ol' 100 point reviews for blizzard. It's obviously shameful.
  82. May 28, 2012
    As somone who is coming back to this franchise after being griefed in D1, I think the game is OK. Why? The largest negative is the DRM. THis game is NOT an MMO and should not be treated as one. I'm awarre of why the game needs the inernet, but I do not agree with it.

The game is very "loot-centric". If you do not go in expecting an award winning plot then you should be fine with the story. The graphics are just OK with some of the backgrounds looking very good. (This is fine as Blizz has to appeal to mid to lower end systems). Replayability seems fair as you may try out each class, but the levelling up process (and most of the game) are fairly linear.

Its a good game that you will get several hours of enjoyment from, but it's not the be all and end all of action RPGs. Let the game appeal to your inner warmonger and play this to hack, slash, pillage and hopefully have some mindless fun!
  83. May 28, 2012
    So I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game againstSo I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game against these, it seems to be the way most things are heading these days. It seems very much that the game engine isn't a million miles away from WOW, and uses a lot of the same graphics which in itself isn't such a bad thing as Blizzard always carry these things of with style, regardless of the cutesy graphics. However, the cutesy graphics do mean the atmosphere is not as oppresive as it was in the original games - it definitely loses something. Just to quickly cover the basics - Diablo is a game in which you run around dungeons and kill lots of critters. The main story is of a battle between heaven and hell and you basically level up until the story takes you to the Lord Diablo himself, who has rather rudely gate crashed the eternal realm. There are lots of weapons and armour drops all the way through and really the main crux of the game is in finding bigger and better armour and weapons. Once you start playing online with other players, the level of drops soon ramps up, as well as the difficulty level of the monsters.
    Now as this is Diablo 3 you cannot review the game without comparing it to it's predecessors, the same as if you were reviewing a film, and for me this is where the game falls down. The rather high scoring critic reviews suprise me because the fact of the matter is that this game seems to have gone nowhere. It used to be a simple hack and slash click-click-click game, with a variety of spells or actions, and plenty of loot items to pick up - including scrolls, which are one off spells to casts. It is still a simple hack and slash click-click-click game except LESS variety in spells/actions and no scrolls anymore. It feels very much like the game has been dumbed down for the masses. And the thing is, it's been 10 years. TEN. That's an awful long time to spend failing to progress. And on the side Blizzard already have WOW, so they have an absolute wealth of suitable graphics to use and a wealth of experience in fantasy games. They seem to have played the hand towards nostalgia rather than innovative gaming.
    So I would have to admit to being somewhat gutted about this game. It isn't awful, it just isn't new. And from an absolute powerhouse like Blizzard, I expect much more in terms of innovation and creativity, and I certainly don't expect them to move backwards in terms of complexity being as the first two games were not complex. And sadly it does seem to me that Blizzard are becoming more of a money making organisation than a serious developer of top quality games, especially after announcing their real money auction house. It is that great travesty of business and advertising - it ruins everything it comes into contact with. And Blizzard are slowly turning into a business enterprise, not a game developer. Many of the user reviews are scathing hit backs at the painful DRM system (meaning you cannot play single player without being online), which is perfectly understandable as it makes no sense to be online when you want to play by yourself. But I am much more upset about the lack of progress since Diablo II. Whoever came up with Diablo in the first instance was an absolute genius, and it was an amazing game. Whoever got hold of the license and created Diablo 3 should have doubled that genius with more involving and complex gameplay - they already had a great engine to work with! Instead, they seem to have lazily rehashed the game. It is addictive, that can't be denied, but if it was a piece of homework it would definitely have 'see me' written on it in red writing.
  84. May 28, 2012
    How does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan forHow does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan for players not being locked to online play only! After over a decade, you would think that they would have many more diverse features and extended ideologies..... No Unique, magical or rare sets.....you need to skill up beyond the level of fair to MAKE your own sets.... Normal mode is more like Easy mode, with two more difficulties to follow.... Altough the game has been fun, and has a few new ideas, it is worthy of getting a 7 / 10.... but come on Blizzard... surely with over $300 million in the bank, you can make some "FREE" extras, and unlock the DRM for people to play offline or at home with their friends on a LAN withouth the need of a permanent internet connection??? Expand
  85. May 27, 2012
    As someone who enjoyed Diablo 2, LOD, and looks back at the Diablo series as something that had a big impact on gaming... I can't help but feel let down by Diablo 3. This is NOT the game we were waiting for, but it's still probably worth playing.

Getting the negatives out of the way: Diablo 3 has suffered from technical problems out of the gate that persist even now. You're much less

Getting the negatives out of the way:
    Diablo 3 has suffered from technical problems out of the gate that persist even now. You're much less likely to suffer a major bug, or get disconnected from the game now, but the experience still is much more lag ridden then it should be, and using the auction house is a chore of frustration. Progression sometimes requires better equipment, and acquiring such equipment from the AH can sometimes take much longer than it should, as I deal with broken search filters, timeout errors, and other issues that plague the AH currently. The whining on these issues IS somewhat legitimate, and it affected my score of the game, although, you're not going to see me give it a 1, just because the AH gave me an error instead of my shiny new 2H weapon.

The story is, in a word, terrible. There were several points where I felt that it was too obvious what was going to happen yet, what a party member's secrets were, and all the characters are pretty shallowly developed and transparent. I've dealt with a lot of weak plots before, but this is one that's bad enough that it actually hurts the experience a bit. Without giving away spoilers, I was particularly frustrated with the character Leah, and her plot arc. The new hirelings are worthless. I'll just get out with it and say it. They're worthless. They suffer AI issues, such as not healing you when you're at 2 HP and the spell's off cooldown, charging into terrain, and other idiocy, but they're also just very weak in general. Is my enchantress attacking something? I can't tell, because even after giving her the best equipment I'm able, she does so much less damage than my player character, that it's difficult to tell if she's doing anything at all.
    - The lack of usefulness of the mercenaries is a failure, since they would have offered a good deal of flavor as a boon to your character.

There is no character customization (for looks).

Difficulty ranges from laughably easy to BS hard... You might be either falling asleep 2 shotting everything in sight without any fear of death whatsoever, or trying not to be 1 shot by nearly unkillable rare spawns. For example, at higher difficulties, you might face a mob that shields itself becoming immune to damage (until the shield drops), pins you in place from a distance, teleports to your location, and 1 shots you through all your defensive abilities. It'll kill you 10 times before facing a boss fight, where you never feel any sense of danger, and ease through it like it's nothing. It's very frustrating.

Items are another concern. Blizzard made progress between Diablo 2 LOD and WoW, adding in features like bind on equip, and bind on pickup, to help control item rarity. They're missing in Diablo 3, resulting in too many listings of "Legendary" items on the AH. Worse, they added random modifiers on the Legendaries, making them inferior to good rare items that got lucky rolls on their modifiers, and the vast majority of the rare items are trash. If a rare or even a legendary drops, there's no sense of excitement, as you realize that the likelihood of the item actually being useful is quite low. Since everything is soo sooo random, selling items can be difficult. I had a hard time determining if items for other classes were actually good or not, since rare modifiers range from really good to absolute trash.

For my neutral opinions:

The difficulty level between nightmare and hell is more acceptable. Rare packs with a few rough modifiers can make for fun fights. Blizzard has made progress with the disconnect problems, and the skill system, while taking a bit to get used to, offers flexibility with your character. Think of it as a watered down Guild Wars system.

It's easy to group up with a friend, and jump right to where they are in the action. If it wasn't for hacking issues, this would be a generally good feature, which unfortunately, should be turned off at the moment.

The game's art is slightly above average. Environments have this sort of dark watercolor look to them. Cut scenes are pretty, and there's decent production values all round, as far as standard things like voice acting. It's a decent looking game for sure, but environments can feel a little too copy pasted in places... making things feel dated sometimes. So overall, I give the graphics and production values a pass, even though I'm NOT impressed.

For my positives...
    The cut scenes are pretty? I'm actually struggling a little to think of what Diablo 3 does right... consistently... I got nothing.

It's AMAZING to me that the metascore from critics on this game was 89. Guess journalistic integrity is out the window.
  86. May 27, 2012
    Overall if you never played D1 or D2 you'll likely find this game is more of an 8 or 9. However if you are like me and literally grew up playing the first two games and have been a life long fan of this franchise you will be absolutely irate at how watered down and simplified this new installment is, likely giving it a 0 or 1 (unless you are not many hours into the game and are stillOverall if you never played D1 or D2 you'll likely find this game is more of an 8 or 9. However if you are like me and literally grew up playing the first two games and have been a life long fan of this franchise you will be absolutely irate at how watered down and simplified this new installment is, likely giving it a 0 or 1 (unless you are not many hours into the game and are still living in denial). Lets be honest, this game is the successor to two of the greatest games in the history of PC gaming. It has some monstrously huge shoes to fill and it falls completely short of even remotely comparing to its predecessors in terms of quality and replay value. No more manual designation of character stats every level, no more skill trees full of synergies and possibilities, no more mountain of exciting gem damage type/rune word combinations to experiment with. There is no longer a real sense of choice in the game. You unlock every skill as you level (only a handful of which you will ever want to use) and you can change everything about your character at the drop of the hat, thus decisions carry no weight and lack any real sense of permanence. Because of the new skill setup you will only ever make one character of any given class and he will be virtually identical to every other character of that class out there. There is absolutely no point to making a second barbarian (saving blizzard plenty of money on server storage costs no doubt). You dont take any true pride in your build because it is not a unique and clever creation like the ones you made in D2. Finally, the auction house, short acts, and horrible drop rates suck any remaining fun out the slaughter. To all the individuals out there who are upset at seeing all these low scores, I'm sorry if this or other simliar reviews get under your skin, because I know I would be pissed if people where trashing a game I loved too. Just please keep in mind alot of these low scores are coming from people approaching the game from a very different perspective (borderline crackhead-obsessed diablo fanatic). Everyone who paid for this game is entitled to voice their opinion about it, be that positive or negative. Expand
  87. May 27, 2012
    I've mixed feelings when I think about the game. First of all I had over 100 hours of fun while playing this game but have to give it a lower score. Not because of online DRM or server problems. That' something I was aware of before I've bought and played the game. The reason is much simplier. The 100 hours of gaming were funny because of the friends I've played it and not because of theI've mixed feelings when I think about the game. First of all I had over 100 hours of fun while playing this game but have to give it a lower score. Not because of online DRM or server problems. That' something I was aware of before I've bought and played the game. The reason is much simplier. The 100 hours of gaming were funny because of the friends I've played it and not because of the game. I've had more fun in games that were bascially worse than D3 just because I had the right people to play with and that's what good about Diablo 3, almost everyone has bought it so I could play with at least 2 friends all the time.
    But why is it so bad?
    Gameplay: First of all, the difficulty. Normal and Nightmare are just too easy, Hell felt like it was moving in the direction and Inferno was a total joke. Blizzard said, the difficulty will get harder because it's totally new feeling, every Mob and Boss will have new Skills etc. but that's not the matter. Story bosses have just more HP and damge depending on the difficulty and the same goes for Random Bosses but they got one more skill with every difficulty. Not new Skills, but just one of the same random Skills more. So the difficulty gets higher but in the wrong way. You don't need more skill or knowledge to kill those harder mobs but just better gear. Most of the time I died, I was thinking "Need more Gear" instead of "Oops I've made a stupid move". Other game like Demon Souls have shown that you can have a high difficulty that depends on Skill and not simply on Gear.

The classes are kinda imbalanced at the moment, ranged classes only need to upgrade their Weapons to get better gear while Melees need to finetune every single slot and still can't stay alive more than a second in melee combat at Inferno Act 2

Graphics and Sound: The Graphics are okay and I know that Blizzard wanted a timeless Style which most of the players can enjoy even with slower machines. It's okay when it works but I know so many people that have high end machines that are able to run every current game fine except for Diablo 3. Network and Online functionality: Joining a friend, playing with them, seeing their stats and everything else regarding online play is well done, except for the lag. Sometimes you are warping around like a hell. Dodging an attack and then warped back into it just to get one hitted is not fun. Hopefully they will work on it. The rest of the online funtionality works good.

Content: It's simply too short if you take into account that you have to play the same content at least 3 times to reach level 60. They promised a dynamic endless content system but I wouldn't call it really dynamic. After the 2nd playthrough I've felt like I have seen everything. Putting 2 possible Events in one zone, of which only one is available at a time is not really dynamic. If you reach Inferno you will look at the Auction House all the time or farm the same 10 minute content all over again before you can move on and kill those "more difficult" mobs.

If it weren't for the great online functionality AND my friends I would have given the game a 5/10 because it's actually nothing new or special and not as finetuned as a game like this should have been if you think about the long developement time and the big name behind it.
  88. May 27, 2012
    Diablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to beDiablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to be convincing. Loot seems to be pretty good to me. I suppose some are whining because they don't get multiple epics on every drop. A lot of people think that simplifying the stats and skill system is a bad thing. I think it works pretty well, myself, and is a good break. (If you want stats and skills to tweak, go play one of the Avernum games...)
    Anyway, not a bad game. It could have been/should have been better after 12 years, but whatever. It's fun, and thats what counts.
  89. May 27, 2012
    i like the game its cool i like how they give you a reason to play the other difficulties and pvp will be added later...>_> if i was to give a real rating i would give it to people sometimes I wish i wasn't human because we all are really a bunch of ****
  90. May 26, 2012
    Emotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, itemEmotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, item farming, I see no difference with Diablo 2. I think a lot of us have a different impression of Diablo 2 because we were younger. Today, I would rush through D2 in a day and farm items over and over, same deal here. RMA AH is not great, but consider 1. D2 probably had the largest illegit item selling market of any game ever made and 2. Blizzard is the only game company that provides servers for big population games like Diablo and Starcraft series with no monthly fee. Hosting isn't free people. Expand
  91. May 26, 2012
    Redoing my review after having spent more time with the game. Character graphics are basically WoW. The environments after the first few levels are actually well done. I never played Diablo 1 or 2 so I can't compare it to that. The game is basically a very simplified version of WoW.....quests to do, gear upgrades and gold. It's a hack and slash that is entertaining. The onlineRedoing my review after having spent more time with the game. Character graphics are basically WoW. The environments after the first few levels are actually well done. I never played Diablo 1 or 2 so I can't compare it to that. The game is basically a very simplified version of WoW.....quests to do, gear upgrades and gold. It's a hack and slash that is entertaining. The online verification system is stupid as the idea of a cash AH. I have not had time for MP, but I can see where it would be fun. I increased my score to 6 as I feel it is an entertaining game, but could have been much better. Expand
  92. May 26, 2012
    This game is far too easy with no way to tweak the difficulty without grinding. I realize D2 was the same way, but at least normal difficulty in D2 had some challenge. This is just pathetic. Literally no challenge. Enemies drop so many health potions it feels like I have 300% lifesteal. Except I also have lifesteal. So I can tank most fights losing little health and then the enemies dropThis game is far too easy with no way to tweak the difficulty without grinding. I realize D2 was the same way, but at least normal difficulty in D2 had some challenge. This is just pathetic. Literally no challenge. Enemies drop so many health potions it feels like I have 300% lifesteal. Except I also have lifesteal. So I can tank most fights losing little health and then the enemies drop enough health to heal me 10 times over. Expand
  93. May 26, 2012
    I give this game a lenient 6 because it is a good game.....but man it could have been SO much better. Being a fan of D1 and D2, I was expecting gold. Big disappointment....but still a fun and addictive experience. Bottom line is that this game shouldn't have been placed in the Diablo series. God knows why Blizzard made these stupid choices and dumbed the game down so freakin much. ItsI give this game a lenient 6 because it is a good game.....but man it could have been SO much better. Being a fan of D1 and D2, I was expecting gold. Big disappointment....but still a fun and addictive experience. Bottom line is that this game shouldn't have been placed in the Diablo series. God knows why Blizzard made these stupid choices and dumbed the game down so freakin much. Its almost like you took a delicious and perfect recipe like Coca Cola, took all the good **** out, added some of your own urine, then added Pepsi.....and then tried to sell it to us as Coke again. Idiots. Expand
  94. May 26, 2012
    I have been following this series since day one, when i was twelve years old and tore open my first copy of Diablo back in 1996, and i immediately fell in love. Click and kill. That doesn't sound too fun, but throw in some demons, creepy environments, and harsh punishments and ill be glued for hours. Diablo 2 perfected this formula, and i found myself on every single day, every hour iI have been following this series since day one, when i was twelve years old and tore open my first copy of Diablo back in 1996, and i immediately fell in love. Click and kill. That doesn't sound too fun, but throw in some demons, creepy environments, and harsh punishments and ill be glued for hours. Diablo 2 perfected this formula, and i found myself on every single day, every hour i could get just to do another "Diablo run". Diablo 3 has improved on EVERYTHING, destructible environments, more varieties of monsters, achievements, more classes, etc. But one thing fell short.... The atmosphere. In Blizzards previous games, i this overwhelming fear of death always hung above my head like a cloud. The sounds, the looks, the monsters, the more "gothic" like atmosphere. In Diablo 3 the creepiest thing was the templars, but that was it. I was more afraid of a monster in act one, than i was with diablo himself. I am sure, blizzard will release expansion sets to this game, and i hope they concentrate more on the atmosphere and variety of drops and making "runs" relevant again with the new "Marketplace". Expand
  95. May 25, 2012
    I've finished the game on normal, I'm halfway through nightmare on one character and I've played all of the classes to level 20 now.

The biggest problem are the skills. Not having skill points and the limitation of the skills you put on your bar creates too many limitations. With all classes I find myself constantly wanting to swap out skills for different situations and it's not easy/fun/fast to do it. Why can't you have multiple configured preset skill bars? Why are there skills with long cool downs that I can't swap out until they finish (I understand why but, GOD it is really annoying sometimes).

It feels like you have to keep "working around" the damn skill system.

Killing groups of monsters and getting loot is pretty good. graphics, animation is good. The story and cinematic cut scenes are good.

The server play is fairly bad. There's a lot of latency even in single player, but I have found with groups it gets even worse. Lots of "rubber banding" stunting, freezing, and sometimes that results in death and it's very aggravating. I just couldn't imaging playing hardcore with the game in this state.

Overall, I'm glad Diablo was released and that I got to finish it. Improved graphics, story, cutscenes, are great. The skill system is unsatisfying, the loot system doesn't feel as exciting as diablo 2, the crafting system is kind of boring, purchasing storage and leveling your crafters is just a big gold sync to keep gold important and feels more like a chore than an exciting achievement. And the achievements system is similar to what you find in other blizzard games and brings no innovations there. Custom banners are nice.

7/10 - Good but with some frustrations and disappointments.
  96. May 25, 2012
    I previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into aI previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into a group of enemies on hell or inferno, even if you have good gear you will get destroyed.

Graphics are slightly outdated but the gameplay is smooth and fluid, while it isnt one hundred percent like diablo 2 I can say it has entertained me when diablo 2 became stale after six years, and it entertained me for the first week for around 86 hours, if it were not for a blizzard management technicality and flawed system it would have probably entertained me for more.

The first one is easy to understand, the second one you gotta really look at it from a pov of someone who has received threats in blizzard products with your real name attached...

The first issue is, due to the rl auction house, the amount of accounts getting hacked is extremely high, and they can only do a total of 2 character rollbacks... per account... This is a massive issue since the rl auction house being in game really makes it easier for real money traders (rmts) to expedite the process allowing them greater ease to hack into an account. On top of this there is, apparently, a security leak on blizzards side, as well.

This is a customer service related issue, a technicality really but it results in a permanently locked account along with other management issues made by blizzard. I never give my real name out to people, I always use a pen name. Problem is, Back in the wow glory days of vanilla when the game was good I received death threats from some of the players in the game, some of which were able to look my name up and send some mail via the postal system with death threats as well...

Well when your account gets hacked you gotta submit a photocopy of your driver license, birth certificate (if a minor) etc, cant just give them the last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase the item. But whatever, I had no trojans, no viruses, no worms, and no spyware/adware on my computer, checked with 3 different virus scanners. On top of this I never entered my information into the login page unless I logged into the diablo 3 site, itself, making sure I manually type the address bar. My account is now in limbo since due to previous death threats I received on a previous account I didn't want people to know my real name, technicality got my account permanently locked and unable to restore it. Of course since blizzard loves to post your real name on rl friend chat which makes it easier to communicate cross game... Well you see what im saying...

Either way, fantastic game, 8 out of 10 without blizzard management related issues, I don't even care about being able to connect on the first month of the game, honestly, I care that I cannot connect in the future since blizzard loves to give away my private information... Unfortunately, due to this over site on blizzards part, 7 out of 10.
  97. May 25, 2012
    D3 feels like a safe cash-in on a legendary IP. Despite enjoying my time playing, (pwning demons and collecting loot is as addictive as ever) the choice to streamline character development is disappointing. Gameplay is tight (though the ability to zoom in a la Titan Quest would be nice) while the graphics are typical of a Blizzard game; stylistically sound but certainly not pushing anyD3 feels like a safe cash-in on a legendary IP. Despite enjoying my time playing, (pwning demons and collecting loot is as addictive as ever) the choice to streamline character development is disappointing. Gameplay is tight (though the ability to zoom in a la Titan Quest would be nice) while the graphics are typical of a Blizzard game; stylistically sound but certainly not pushing any boundaries, so as to work on as many systems as possible.

The game probably deserves a 7.5 or an 8, but the always-online requirement warrants a slightly lower score, especially when lag affects the single player experience (which is common in Australia with its draconian telecommunications infrastructure).

Still, if you enjoy RPGs and particularly ARPGs, you'll find months and months of gameplay here. When I'm not playing it, I'm wishing I was.
  98. May 25, 2012
    Is it a good game? Yes. Is it good enough to cost three times as much as Torchlight -- the most recent previous competitor among this particular type of action RPG -- and three times as much as the soon-to-be-released Torchlight II? No.
  99. May 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 is entertaining and fun but fails to meet expectations of previous Diablo fans.
    Pros:
    -Fun to hack and slash and tear up large groups of enemies (What you expect from Diablo) -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game. -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the
    Pros:
    -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game.
    -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable
    -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the first couple playthroughs

Good and bad at same time:
    -The leveling system is straight forward and does not require hours of grinding to reach the level cap.
    -No skill trees and stat point distribution allows you to focus on loot and killing but does not make your character feel unique. It gives you the flexibilty to try new builds and change your skills to work best with whatever group you play with at any given time
    -Grouping with friends and creating game is quick but doesn't allow you to make games people can look for or go back to previous difficulties and is centered solely on what quest you select which is restricted by level.
    -Requires an online connection at all times. This might be frustrating for those that only want to play single player but If it reduces hacking and duping that plagued previous Diablo games then it is welcome. Due to the very bad latency though I have already heard claims that it is possible to duplicate items.

Cons:
    -Itemization is horrendous. After hour upon hours I have yet to see any legendary or set items drop but I already have blue items with better stats and more damage than the best legendary items. Legendaries should be above average rare items with rare items having the potential to be better than legandaries with near perfect stat rolls. Blue items drop way too easy and it is very discouraging to have essentially no goal in terms of items except for finding another blue or yellow item with more of you main stat and more vitality. Many Diablo 2 players can recite nearly all of their pieces of gear by name and I don't see how that will become the case in this game.
    -The story was okay but the ending seemed very rushed and short.
    -When grouping you are unable to use your companions and companion customization/gearing provides little to no benefit except when soloing.

TLDR;

Very fun game but missing the best things that have made Diablo 2 such a huge long lasting sucess. Hopefully they are listening and will fix these things with an update or expansion similarly to what LOD did for Diablo 2.
  100. May 25, 2012
    I loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty wayI loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty way up which is cool, but the gear drops are so crappy it's funny. I mean the bosses drop crappy blue gear, NO yellows, on harder difficulty??? And how bad does it suck when you die like ten times to kill a special enemy only to have them drop a yellow that has some crazy ass mixture of stats like strength and intelligence, you have to just laugh or the frustration will kill you. Overall, a disappointment for such a long wait, hopefully they patch it and fix the drop rates, and stat combos. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012