Diablo III PC

4.0

1. May 17, 2012
    Ben playing it for 9 hours now and is on Act 3 now, and I have to say that I really like this game and also hate it in some regards. The game itself is fine, but when it comes to the "always online" system then it fails. Lets say you have a bad internet connection, then you will start to have small problems when it comes to lag.. Anway 7/10
  2. May 17, 2012
    It's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made itsIt's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made its predecessor great.

Here's a list of things that displease me:

-No more choice when leveling your character. Everything unlocks automatically
    -You can't distribute skill points

-Items have, for the most part, the same size. You can carry many more things than you could in Diablo 2. Some people might like this better, but it makes things feel less valuable.
    -No more scrolls of town portal. You have to use waypoints.
    -Potion healing is drastically changed.
    -You can't actually use your weapon when you feel like it. As in, the game doesn't allow you to swing your weapon if you feel like it with certain classes.
    -I don't think the graphics are bad, but they don't fit the atmosphere. Whereas the first one was dark and gritty, this one seems cartoonish. -The writing is uninspired and has that "oh look at me I'm so epic" quality that I've noticed is becoming increasingly common in Blizzard games

Overrall, the game just feels watered down and simplified. Some people disagree with me and are having the time of their lives. All I know is that I wasn't having fun even after a few hours of playing.
  3. May 17, 2012
    Diablo II was my all time favourite game. III? Somethings I like better than II, somethings not as much. Overall, I like II a little better. So, if II gets a 10, I would have to give III a 9. Subtract 2 points for the server issues. I don't care if it's online only or not, so long as the servers are up and running when I want to play.
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a week and then buy with confidence. It's very enjoyable, full of neat surprises plays smoothly (when the servers are up of course).
  4. May 17, 2012
    Honest review! I am not an hardcore gamer, I did not play the BETA, I played D1 and D2, I did play the game (D3) and did not experience any of the login issues with the game. Now I've read a couple reviews that had 0 score because people could not play the game...Ignore these reviews! I also read a few reviews giving it 10. Read them if you must but when someone says: "It's not as good asHonest review! I am not an hardcore gamer, I did not play the BETA, I played D1 and D2, I did play the game (D3) and did not experience any of the login issues with the game. Now I've read a couple reviews that had 0 score because people could not play the game...Ignore these reviews! I also read a few reviews giving it 10. Read them if you must but when someone says: "It's not as good as it could've been and there are a few flaws and I've only played Act 1...", yet gives it a 10, ask yourself some questions. I give it a 6. Why? Because it's a good, fun, playable (when connected!) game. It's not special, it doesn't bring anything new, it's not that pretty. The soundtrack is awesome but some sound effects are clearly from Diablo 1-2! My score is based on the product in relation with the price. 60$ for a game that looks like the old one, plays like the old one and feels like the old one isn't right. The first Act is mostly populated by the same monsters in Diablo 1-2. It also lacks polishing in some places, animations can be rough and the physics engine can be buggy. You can slap enemies out of the screen with low power attacks (they don't even die from that), some items will be sent spinning everywhere at crazy speeds. There is some rubber-banding, probably due to the fact that the servers are under lots of stress. The cut-scenes are excellent. The main problems are the need of a constant (and consistent) internet access which I believe was justified by the ability to buy (with real money) items making the game accessible mostly to people living in urbanized areas, the fact that it's basically the same game than before and the graphics which are not really up to date (even on maximum settings). It's like justifying a 60$ Solitaire/minesweeper game. I mean everyone played solitaire/minesweeper and it's a fun game...but you wouldn't pay for it! I expect to finish the game a second or third time as it's not really long either, a good game, but far from what was expected. Doesn't have the immersion of Skyrim, the excitement of Battlefield 3, the depth or SimCity 4. Funny thing is, as I try to compare this game to something somewhat recent, I can only think of games like Marvel, Ultimate Alliance: Hack, slash, loot, mission briefing "break", repeat. The difficulty and the joy of destroying daemons will be the only incentive to keep playing. In a nutshell, Diablo 2.5 at full price, plus the fact that you can't play when you don't have access to internet is limiting. Expand
  5. May 17, 2012
    First some background. I have been watching this game since it was announced. Diablo II was awesome, and I loved playing it with friends. Even though DII PVP was sort of crappy, it was still really entertaining.

When Activision bought blizzard, I sort of knew things would change, but what I have seen to this day still shocks me. It was definitely a move for the worse. I mean look at the new WoW expansions (I dont play, but pandas? really? I know its in warcraft III, but come the hell on.)

I love the dark look of DII, and you can tell they completely strayed away from it. For the worse in my opinion

so here we go

1. Gameplay. The hack and slash is fun, and the on screen visuals make it so. WIth explosions and fireballs, etc. The game is too easy. Less than 18 hours of gameplay time, and I was done with normal mode. This is insane. They should have made the acts a little more in depth, I mean its a massive story about good and evil, but the story flow was absolutely awful. The skill system is awful too. You have no real choice on character build anymore, and you have no consequences for building a **** character. I could solo diablo with a witchdoctor, with 4 people in game at the end, and only level 30. I find this to be too easy. Gameplay gets a 6/10

2. Graphics: The graphics are ok. I give the graphics on this game a 5/10. The world looks good, but you start noticing minor details that are missing, or dont make sense. And the 3/4 camera angle isnt too great. I do like the 3d environments, but they could have done more. We should have been able to rotate the camera. All we have is a zoom feature which is completely worthless. Graphics get a 5/10

3. Sound: The soundtrack in the beginning is great. It reminded me of DII, and the fact I was going back in to fight the demons of hell, to save mankind. But about halfway through the game, I stopped noticing the sound, which causes me to think it is really bland. Sound gets a 5/10

4. Online Experience: I am rating the online experience separately, because frankly, it is lacking, and should be a whole other component to the game. There is little online experience here for a multiplayer game. Where are the guilds? where are the battle arenas? The rewards for completing challenges? Things like that? Who cares about earning some achievement that really leads you to a stupid banner unlock? Online Experience gets a 3/10.

This game to me BARELY edges out a 6/10 rating. Blizzard is known for there amazing games, but they have fell extremely short on this, to the point that I really do not think they can recover the diablo franchise.
  6. May 17, 2012
    All the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what weAll the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what we had to give up to get that streamlined interface - a complete lack of character customizability. Every barbarian is going to have the same skills and powers as every other barbarian; every demon hunter is going to have the same skills and powers as every other demon hunter, and so on. The ONLY way to differentiate characters at this point is through gear - hence the emphasis on artisans and paying real money for good gear. At the end of the day, Bizzard shanked this one worse than BioWare did with Dragon Age II. Expand
  7. May 17, 2012
    I am what others would call an "old stager", playing games since the late 80's and seeing how games progressed since then. I loved all the predecessors of Diablo 3, and in my opinion I must say: Diablo 3 is a game of the modern and it's *good*. Your experience heavily depends on what you have been expecting from Blizzard, and when you started playing games.

For me Diablo was always a game

For me Diablo was always a game where I didn't need any kind of well-thought story, or classic RPG depth you know from hardcore games like Wizardry, Ultima or the early franchises from Bioware. Just hacking through hordes of enemies and feeling happy about any new cool item drops, that's all I ever needed in this game. So there was no letdown while playing Diablo 3, that's what it is and what it was intended to be.

On the other hand, if you are looking for such things, don't buy this game, you will be heavily disapointed. The story is rather secondary and I personally wouldn't call this game any kind of RPG whatsoever, as there is no way to customize your character at all - not even attributes or skills. The latter are unlocked as you progress through the game and can be chosen/switched freely during the game.

The game definitely has a "World Of Warcraft" feel to it in all the mechanics presented. Especially the skills would blend in nicely with the assets of a WoW class in the way they are implemented.

Multiplayer was realized very nicely. All the fights over rare items or gold I even had with close friends in Diablo 1 and 2 are gone. Every character sees his own drops and can never steal anything right under his teammates noses after a fight. Right on the contrary, I feel encouraged to let go of a special item to a party member that is in more need of it than I am more easily. Technically: Joining another friends session is as simple and easy as it could possibly be, by "dropping" into another players single player game with a single click from the main menu.

One big complaint I have is the constant need of an internet connection to the Battle.net servers, even if you are only interested in a single player adventure. I don't necessarily critic the connection problems after release that have struck me as well (so gaming was not possible at all) as they are just natural for an online game at the beginning, but rather the fact in itself. Being bound to a companies infrastructure and trust, I don't feel comfortable with. But that's more a moral aspect that may not be understood by younger gamers.

To summarize: As mentioned in my introduction, I find Diablo 3 a *good* game, providing lots of fun hours slashing the hordes of hell and waiting for the next valuable item to drop. Especially in multiplayer this game excels. On the other hand, one might think of the over-simplified character system and story line of a big failure - and I agree. As said before, this heavily depends on your expectations.

On a personal note: If Diablo 3 is a let down to you, don't expect things to get any better in the industry though. This is the modern world and things have changed since back then. I personally would wish otherwise, but I've lost hope a long time ago.
  8. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, Diablo 3 was a little disappointing compared to what Blizzard and everyone else hyped it to be. Gameplay was by far the best thing about this game, and abilities are really **** satisfying. I loved playing my Barbarian and ripping through enemies while needing to stop and strategize if you see some rare pack of unburied. The gameplay had a lot of drawbacks, though. For one, the game doesn't get at all difficult until you trudge through the first difficulty to just play the same game only slightly harder. Randomization helps a bit, but it was fairly annoying to not be able to choose your difficulty right off the bat and it really adds an element of forced replay value. Game was laden with cutscenes that cut into the flow of the game and don't really do anything but say what already happened. Did I mention it was short?

Graphics were "eh". The art style was fine and got sufficiently grimdark for my tastes at some places (notably king leoric's torture basement, whatever its name was). The actual implementation of the style was a little **** Even on max settings, Diablo 3 looked like it would be a great game for a smartphone, and the technical graphics are crappy. Textures were terrible, and there were jaggies errywhere. The art direction kind of seemed like the lazy way out.

The story of the game, as expected when it was announced to be written by Metzen, was **** Most dialogue was extremely generic, and character development was nonexistant. Your followers had a few backstories, but they were relatively short and none of them were particularly original. There were a lot of retcons present (Izual and Butcher coming back, some various things involving Diablo, and quite a few dialogue points). Characters like Leah and Tyrael (apparently now Tyrone) were pretty unlikeable and bread and butter. Tyrael gets tricked like 3 times in the game by different people, and decides to throw Diablo off the bridge WITH THE **** SOULSTONE INTACT, and then takes his place as "Wisdom". Nice one Blizzard. At least, it provides some evidence of an expansion pack that will no doubt be overpriced.

My main gripe with this game is the **** DRM. Having to be online and WAIT IN A QUEUE for singeplayer is absolutely unacceptable. The constant server updates and mantenience eats into the time you'd otherwise be enjoying yourself, and sometimes these restarts can place you all the way at the beginning of the Act you were on, causing a lot of frustration. If you don't make it to a checkpoint in time, these server problems WILL make you start to a point 30 minutes earlier. Not to mention the game was nearly unplayable the day it was release, when Blizzard had months to iron out things through stress test results. The game was laggy in singleplayer, too. Coop is fine but people tend to rush everything so I don't really suggest going into coop unless you have friends with D3 or if you've already completed the game.

TL;DR Game is fun, but that's pretty much all it gets right
  9. May 17, 2012
    I'll give 1 point to each 6 minutes of continuous gameplay I could take, so I may be able to write a real review for the game... If even IGN can't write theirs, how would I????
  10. May 17, 2012
    It's meh. Blizzard dumbed this game down so severely it's laughable. There is absolutely no strategy/thinking in character development aside from your equipment. The goal of the game is to simply level up and unlock all of your character's abilities, making every character of the same class practically identical. This was definitely designed with casual and console players in mind. It doesIt's meh. Blizzard dumbed this game down so severely it's laughable. There is absolutely no strategy/thinking in character development aside from your equipment. The goal of the game is to simply level up and unlock all of your character's abilities, making every character of the same class practically identical. This was definitely designed with casual and console players in mind. It does NOT have the replay quality that Diablo 2 had and STILL has. This game is more of a 4 player co-op than any sort of RPG. It is a total abomination of the Diablo series. When PvP comes around, it'll pretty much be useless. Total. Console. Trash. Overall, I suggest you pass on it unless you're into games like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance; that's the game that comes to mind that describes Diablo 3 the best. Expand
  11. May 17, 2012
    If Blizzard's name on this, no one would be drooling over this. The gameplay is far too easy, shallow, and repetitive. Nice atmosphere but the music is not memorable.
  12. May 17, 2012
    The game itself is great, aside from the mediocre story and low difficulty on the first run through, however the always on DRM and server issues are unacceptable in a primarily single player game, for many it won't be a problem, but for some it will and for others it means they can't play the game at all.
  13. May 17, 2012
    I can't in good faith award this any other score than zero. Ignoring the hype, ignoring the pedigree that is Blizzard, ignoring Diablo I and II, ignoring all of that, approaching this game without any of those hang-ups. I am disappointed, nay, extremely disappointed. This is marketed and priced as a AAA game and it is anything but. If you are lucky enough to get past the the log-in screen,I can't in good faith award this any other score than zero. Ignoring the hype, ignoring the pedigree that is Blizzard, ignoring Diablo I and II, ignoring all of that, approaching this game without any of those hang-ups. I am disappointed, nay, extremely disappointed. This is marketed and priced as a AAA game and it is anything but. If you are lucky enough to get past the the log-in screen, a somewhat amusing game awaits you. Highly linear and taking zero risks, Diablo III has the distinct feeling of being utterly uninspired and serves more as a money making machine rather than a labor of love. Adding a black eye to the whole affair, the always-online DRM increasingly adds to the frustration of the Diablo III experience. Had I known nothing about the developers of this title, I would have assumed that it was a browser game as that is it's true competitor. This is certainly no AAA title. Expand
  14. May 17, 2012
    I'm a Diablo 1 and 2 veteran with about 8 hours or so clocked in for Diablo 3. Despite the initial hiccups with the servers at launch, I'm very pleased with with the game and the overall experience with Diablo 3. To address one of the major issues; DRM is a relatively new and difficult pill to swallow for most gamers mostly because our games were never required to connect to a live serviceI'm a Diablo 1 and 2 veteran with about 8 hours or so clocked in for Diablo 3. Despite the initial hiccups with the servers at launch, I'm very pleased with with the game and the overall experience with Diablo 3. To address one of the major issues; DRM is a relatively new and difficult pill to swallow for most gamers mostly because our games were never required to connect to a live service to play single player before. Well, the truth is a fair amount of gamers took advantage of the game (among others) when it was not run by DRM by hacking and pirating it. If things continue on that path, it not only hurts the end experience but also hinders business which ultimately affects game development. Gamers don't want to hear that... So, to sum the game itself up, this is a thorough Diablo 3 experience. Finding randomly generated loot, killing demons/bosses, upgrading armor and doing it all with friends has never been better. Skill trees are no longer but are replaced with your choice of a combination of defensive,offensive and special skills. This system still fosters a certain level of strategy based on the type of enemy you're fighting, the weapon you have equipped, the type of skills/magic you have hotkeyed , etc... The game does not have the gritty and dark aesthetic any more. Rather, it has a much richer color pallet similar to other recent Blizzard games but still manages to deliver the familiar ominous tone of doom and evil from the previous entries. In a nutshell, the experience has streamlined in certain areas and as a result has dampened the allure of Diablo 3 for some. Others are just irate about the infamous launch day "Error 37" etc... and are not actually rating the game itself even after those issues were essentially put to rest. Patience is a virtue, everyone. Have just a little with this game through the rocky start and minor gameplay changes and you may just find one glorious game. 10/10! (ignore that '6' :) ) Expand
  15. May 17, 2012
    This would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that madeThis would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that made the earlier games great and it still pulls you along with hunter-gatherer desires, but simply put there are other more modern games that do this with more style and newer innovations.

The graphics and sound should have been much better, there should have been more varied things to do in the game, it just needed to add something, otherwise what have they been doing with it for 10 years?

Games have advanced, Diablo hasn't.
  16. May 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is trully a very good game. The graphic is really eyecatching, but will not suit everyone because of the artistic choice.
    The Gameplay is well thought, there is enough perks to be interessting and no too much so it is too complicated for people with no hack/slash experience.
    Each time I log off, I want to come back and go further in this game! Well done Blizzard! However the fact

However the fact that I have to go online to play solo mode is really annoying!!!!!
    Besides the Demon hunter Bug's interefer with my gaming experience.

This game could have been rated 9 but I withdraw 2 points for the deterioration of the gaming experience and the online connection.
  17. May 16, 2012
    Nice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilizeNice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilize it. At least they should revamp the runes to be applied automatically based on lvl up and to inherit the benefits for each instead of having like 8 or so runes to choose from.
    I am content with the visuals in the game. I just hope they have built into the engine support for larger resolutions than the 1920x1080 my monitor supports. Unlike Diablo2 that is limited in it's resolution. There are a few instances where the viewing angle dosen't quite do a proper job, but for most of the game I don't have a problem with it.
    I don't like the music in game, while that is a subjective topic, I miss some more grand tunes in the game.
    I find the gameplay smooth (apart from the skills), but I miss the ability to put down my attribute points. On the other hand if it gets to the same uselessnes as in D2LoD (just stacking in 2, and no I'm not a good D2 player) I don't mind the way they have done it. The difficulty in the game is more balanced than what I experienced in D2. I find it a good thing that you don't get a nightmare act1 you can nearly just run though as opposed to D2.

If you take into account Blizzards understatement of ppl that wanted to play, the rating would be more like '2' but I'm not basing my score on that.4283 of 5000 characters remaining. Though Blizzard should give all launchday players something for their troubles signing in. Wasen't World of Warcraft: Cataclysm enough, like the other WoW expansions that launchday needs more capacity to support the players? As I couldn't sign in to D3, I also didn't have access to SC2 or WoW as the Battle.net log in server was down.
    Check box if your review contains spoilers
  18. May 16, 2012
    I think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gearI think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gear colors, the upcoming arena pvp, etc. I am just surprised you can't be a Panda in this... Expand
  19. May 16, 2012
    Finding it hard to play with fairy land version of 2002 graphics. The immersion of the graphics to a game style as diablo is pretty key. Pretty sad when the richest company cant even work that out. I saw make another warcraft (not wow) and bring it back to your fans. Grow a brain over there
  20. May 16, 2012
    I keep seeing garbage about 'setting the bar high' and other nonsense. First off, it is too easy, and I'm not going to be the only one saying that. Second, it's boring. Enemies throw nothing new at you. Third, there are limited combinations. Supposedly it gets harder the second time through and even harder the third time. But honestly, what's the point if the only thing that differsI keep seeing garbage about 'setting the bar high' and other nonsense. First off, it is too easy, and I'm not going to be the only one saying that. Second, it's boring. Enemies throw nothing new at you. Third, there are limited combinations. Supposedly it gets harder the second time through and even harder the third time. But honestly, what's the point if the only thing that differs is more HP? Expand
  21. May 16, 2012
    I my opinion it does not live up to the hype, It is an above average can which you can have fun with for a fair amount of time. A severe lack of customization and a buggy launch with no option to play offline contributes to my score. But even without the launch contributing I would still give it no more than a 7.
  22. May 16, 2012
    I'm shooting down a lot of points for DRM. I have never played diablo 1, I played the 2nd one though and I was somewhat satisfied with diablo 3 but as far as todays standards go for graphics/story/or anything such as character development, this game doesn't really hit a high mark, in fact, it falls a bit short.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 had fantastic dialogue and Starcraft 2 had

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 had fantastic dialogue and Starcraft 2 had surprisingly AMAZING character development in my honest opinion, and i say surprisingly because I never expect that in RTS or Turn based strategy games but that doesn't seem to be a strength in D3, I mean it's not that bad (keep in mind I have only beaten the first act so my review will change this is just temporary) so far, its just,,,, average,,, the gameplay itself is good, it hasn't gotten tedious for me, but for a price tag of 60 bucks,, this game really isn't worth it.

Finally, DRM, what a load of @$$, i would have given this game an 8 or an 8.5 (considering price, lowered would be a 9 maybe) i'm sick of this, it seems that companies want to ban piracy yet it becomes more popular as the same companies release DLC that should have been in the game.

One thing my friends, Nintendo will rise again with the Wii U coming above all this DRM crap (hopefully) and Nintendo will rain once more!

Because i think people that hate DRM so much, would go to the length of buying a whole new console for their games.
  23. May 16, 2012
    I will first comment on the game play. I am a little disappointed to be honest. Throughout my life I have played every WC (not WOW), SC, and Diablo. I loved every minute of those games. This is the first blizzard game I've played that feels like it lacks inspiration. 1) The game play is like slower paced version of older diablo games, and the new features feel like they were ideasI will first comment on the game play. I am a little disappointed to be honest. Throughout my life I have played every WC (not WOW), SC, and Diablo. I loved every minute of those games. This is the first blizzard game I've played that feels like it lacks inspiration. 1) The game play is like slower paced version of older diablo games, and the new features feel like they were ideas borrowed from old action/rpgs. I'm used to blizzard being on the cutting edge, creating a unique gaming experience, and not borrowing 5-10 year old ideas from other games. The pacing and play is only a slight improvement over current cell phone games, like dungeon hunter 2. I am ~2h in and the story line isn't keeping my attention either. 2) A big part of the excitement of older diablo games is building a character. Skill point system is gone. BORING. 3) I'm going to only subtract 1 point for the server issues, which is painfully unacceptable. While it does not reflect the game itself. Spending $65 and the excitement of wanting to play after work and getting ~ 60mins of play time in without being booted from the servers two nights in a row is very wrong. Expand
  24. May 16, 2012
    A nicely balanced hack and slash dungeon crawler. The graphics aren't anything special though and the gameplay has been seen before quite a lot of times. Though if you enjoy this genre of games, you'll enjoy this.
  25. May 16, 2012
    A disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge overA disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge over other players. There is no reason to get that edge since there is not PVP, instead in one of the future releases they are going to create an arena. Overall if you are new to diablo series feel free to buy this title as its a fun hack and slash. If you played previous Diabloâ Expand
  26. May 16, 2012
    Visually- 4/10 Subpar by todays standards. Why? Catering to the masses who apparently cannot afford any sort of decent PC? I don't know, and don't care frankly. I expected a lot more in this regard.

Singleplayer- 0/10 DRM dictates that I must have internet. Pathetic reasoning to explain this atrocity on top of it. D2 had single player characters that could not be used in Multiplayer games-- therefore it could have been implemented for the times I want to get my D3 on solo, wherever I want... I shouldn't have needed to connect to the internet to play alone. Multiplayer - 10/10 Playing through with a couple friends has been a blast. Nostalgia kicks in, I can ignore the visually unappealing game and just have fun.

Customization- 0/10 There is none. There is really nothing else to say about this game in that respect. Cater to the sheep who apparently can't figure out how to build a character through a skill tree. Justify it however you want other players- its the ultimate game for cookie cutter characters. Nevermind that games have been using skill tree type systems, and doing it well, for well over a decade now. Total fail in this facet of gameplay.

Story- 6/10 I may have to edit this post in the future but so far (through Act II)- a tad bit predictable. Throw me a little curve or something... anything...

Overall - 5/10.

Basically if you want a mediocre iteration of the Diablo franchise this game is for you. Its not bad, its fun multiplayer, horrible solo, but its not mind blowing in any sense nor by any stretch of the imagination.

P.S. The number of "reviews" on this site both good and bad that have literally no arguments to warrant either a "10" or a "0" should be removed. The reviews spamming statements should be removed, and the reviews simply insulting other users should be removed. We might then see a more realistic "User Score". Until then it will simply be a war of people who blindly vote 10 vs. people who blindly vote 0, and insult/argue about why they have justified these inappropriate scores.
  27. May 16, 2012
    As a player who never played D1 or D2, i went in with as little expectations as possible. never read any reviews, and only decided to play on a whim as fellow housemates all purchased game and roped me in.

I love Warcraft, love WoW, love Starcraft. but by no means would I call myself a Blizz fanboy. I have to say, the game, whilst it is slightly addictive, it is very meh and mediocre at best. Very fun to pull a million mobs with my Barbarian, stun them and Hammer them all to death, but i see myself after running the game through once, putting it aside and never playing again. To me the game is one where you switch your brain off and spam click your mouse with no real skill depth or tactics, its a very cheap thrill that should have been developed alot better as a genre redefining RPG hacknslash and not a game that feels like i downloaded it off Steam from an indie producer...this is Blizzard we are talking about, a developer who redefined the MMORPG and Strategy genres single handedly in the 90's and early 2000's.

Has the corporate giant Activision really sapped all creativty from the team at Blizzard?. Sadly yes.

And to all the people complaining about server/login issues. Stop crying, its opening day. Obviously you have never attempted to login on WoW expac release day, now that is a nightmare and a half.

All in all, im having fun, and thats all you can ask from a video game. But really, considering the hype, the legacy of previous Diablo titles and the developer, i can actually understand why the community feels let down slightly.

28. ddr
    May 16, 2012
    I got this game for free from Blizzard when I signed up for a one year commitment to play WoW. The free price tag is a part of my more or less positive review. If I had spent more than $20 or so on this game, I would have been upset. But as a gamer that played Diablo I many years ago and never played Diablo II, this game was about what I expected. A fairly simple hack and slash withI got this game for free from Blizzard when I signed up for a one year commitment to play WoW. The free price tag is a part of my more or less positive review. If I had spent more than $20 or so on this game, I would have been upset. But as a gamer that played Diablo I many years ago and never played Diablo II, this game was about what I expected. A fairly simple hack and slash with nice looking graphics and good sound. Iâ Expand
  29. May 16, 2012
    Honestly, I'm disappointed at first with this game. I wouldn't call it Diablo III. It is rather revamped Diablo II. Let alone the entire bumpy experience of the launch. I had to log on to Asian server to start play, and my highest level character is still on Asian server. Well, everybody trusts Blizzard that we should be fine from here on. But let's look at the game itself. First, it isHonestly, I'm disappointed at first with this game. I wouldn't call it Diablo III. It is rather revamped Diablo II. Let alone the entire bumpy experience of the launch. I had to log on to Asian server to start play, and my highest level character is still on Asian server. Well, everybody trusts Blizzard that we should be fine from here on. But let's look at the game itself. First, it is not truly a 3D game, although it is 3D modeled, the camera is locked in place. In east Asia, this is called 2.5D. And if you look at the character setting, it smells Korean. Now, let's look at the game play. It is really Diablo II or even Diablo I, exactly the same formula, you head into a dungeon, kill some monsters, loot, and sell your loot. You don't even have any choice to develop your character, everything is preset. The only random thing is what item you can find, and what you can make by crafting. Then you can sell them in the auction house. All in all, it gives you a really retro feeling. I'm like back to my childhood when Diablo I on 1024x768 looked really stunning. All these being said, why I didn't score it in the reds? Because like every other Blizzard game, I found this game still very addicting. This is exactly because the game play is streamlined and simplified. Diablo III is a GAME. You have a simple set of rules (controlled by computer), and you choose from a set of strategies to beat it. There is no fancy plots, tough choices to make. We have enough fancy plots and tough choices in our real life. Why want more? A lot of games now a day tries to be thoughtful, tries to give you another life. People likes them (including me) because it gives the feeling of another life. But sometimes, you just want to sit down and play UNO with little kids. And that's what Diablo gives you. Just sit down forget about your life and play. I think I'll sink countless hours into Diablo III just like the previous two. Expand
  30. May 16, 2012
    Game looks great from what I have seen of it. Server troubles and random disconnects keep alot of us from seeing too much but I think it's getting better
  31. May 16, 2012
    Forget it's called Diablo 3. Think of it as Gauntlet Legends: Diablo Edition. Then it's fun because it is an action adventure arcade game with 4 player support !
  32. TIZ
    May 16, 2012
    Gameplay is fun, but after a lot of hours of (clickclickclick) it gets way 2 repetitive even with friends. Its a good hack and slash, its a bit of a disappointment as Blizzard had a lot of time to make the "perfect" D3. I expected some character customization at least...non whatsoever which is a bit strange really not considering the diablo series, but considering the year of gaming we areGameplay is fun, but after a lot of hours of (clickclickclick) it gets way 2 repetitive even with friends. Its a good hack and slash, its a bit of a disappointment as Blizzard had a lot of time to make the "perfect" D3. I expected some character customization at least...non whatsoever which is a bit strange really not considering the diablo series, but considering the year of gaming we are in at the moment. When I played and leveled up my character it didn't really feel like I was developing his skills but more like he was developing his own skills and I was just using him to....point and click....very linear character skills and attributes since its mostly same kinda stuff for each type of hero. The graphics could be way way better, they are cartoon-ish and colourful yes that is true, I'm not sure if I like that or not but I would prefer better graphics and much more rich textures. I think controls could be added for movement as well not just mouse and hotkeys but thats my preference. Game is ok but I expected better (internet crashes and DRM biggest disappointment and maybe thats why my score is so low otherwise a solid 6/10 or 7/10 Expand
  33. May 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real moneyDiablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real money auction house is an interesting idea, I can't see enough people using it to really warrant this.
    If you enjoy action RPGs and don't mind this sort of incontinence, get Diablo 3. Otherwise, wait for Torchlight 2.
  34. May 16, 2012
    I love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain isI love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain is enthusiasm. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the fact that you aren't able to quick change the skills and I hope they will change that. And about the auction house. I don't care about it. If people are willing to buy items for real money - their deal and not mine.
    And last but not least the contious necessity to be online. I had a few issues beeing thrown into the main menu because D3 hadn't had no internet connection.
  35. May 16, 2012
    If you make your fan base wait over a decade and force them to be online to play single player, your uptime had better be stellar.

If it's not, every company should expect, and deserve, backlash from the fanbase.
  36. May 16, 2012
    First of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into theFirst of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into the game. Playing on normal because I am new to Diablo. I have been pleased with the quality of game play, the cut scenes, story line, character development, and voice acting. I don't see about the game or the system that qualifies as a revolutionary change as far as MMO's are concerned, and it seems that it sticks pretty closely to the style and mechanics of the previous Diablo games. I am not disappointed by this because I don't think their need to fix what isn't broken. I haven't been challenged by the game yet, which is due largely to playing on normal, but I expect to find a challenge at higher difficulties. Personally I would like to have more control over the development of my character's stats beyond choosing which runes or skills to use. As far as I can tell, there isn't a difference between my level 9 monk and someone else's level 9 monk. Then again I have only a played a short while, so maybe there will be some customization choices at some point beyond gear. The crafting mechanic seem fun and rewarding thus far. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have not used the auction system yet. I am not sure if I approve of charging real money to use the system. Starcraft 2 doesn't leach money out of me, so why does Diablo III need such a system? I understand their need to prevent cheating and fraud, but I think their should be a better way. I have confidence that the server issues will be resolved sooner rather than later, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see expansion packs similar to the WoW universe in the future. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My current score of 7 for this game should tell you that I am having fun and that I will be playing it for many hours, but that the game isn't spectacularly revolutionary or graphically overwhelming. It is a solid, fun game. I find it to be really kinda relaxing to play. Cooperative play is a plus. The server issues will get fixed, but don't help the score. Unless the ending pulls a ME3 or I find that I have to pay for something that I shouldn't, the score won't dip any further.
  37. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!"Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!" moment, which is a huge plus. Cons: The need to be connected to the internet to play is big downside of this game is a big downside. It wasn't something I knew about until just before I purchased it, and by then it was too late to curb my New Game Lust. When I'm at home, it won't be an issue, but I bought a new laptop just for this game, so I could take it with me on trips and such. That appears to have been a waste of money. As for the game itself, I am a bit disappointed in the skill leveling system. In the previous Diablo game, you earned skill points which you could invest in the skills you wanted. It resulted in highly individualised characters, which was a big draw of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 seems to give every character the same abilities as every other character of that class. At any time you can just change which abilities you have equipped and you'll be exactly the same as the next Barbarian or Witch Doctor. This is an aspect that severly HURTS replayability of this game.

On the whole, it's still Diablo, a game I've loved since I was in High School. It just seems like a step down from Diablo 2. Maybe someday they'll come out with a Diablo 2.5, with updated graphics and a new character class or something (and no weird online-only DRM). Until then, this will have to do.
  38. May 16, 2012
    Hahaha so many babies whining about not being able to log in, haven't really had any problems myself, the game is awesome, doesn't listen to these retards, go buy it!
  39. May 16, 2012
    First off some rant and rage: I honestly wasn't expecting much when I installed the game. At first I got familiar with the errors for full servers and when I managed to get into the game I was fighting with the power called "server lag". In single player you face not only Diablo and his minions, but also Blizzard and it's stubbornness. Due to the constant internet connection requiered toFirst off some rant and rage: I honestly wasn't expecting much when I installed the game. At first I got familiar with the errors for full servers and when I managed to get into the game I was fighting with the power called "server lag". In single player you face not only Diablo and his minions, but also Blizzard and it's stubbornness. Due to the constant internet connection requiered to play the game both in SP and MP ( the DRM in other words) Diablo 3 really made an impact on the gaming community and fans ... a bad one, unfortunately. Random people from random games getting dropped out of the games which they play with friends over in MP, people getting thrown back in the main menu because of connection lost thus making SP hard to even progress in story, since you were forced to re-fight the whole zone to get to where you were before. But enough about connection issues.
    As for game performance, details and etc. : When it comes to polished games Blizzard knows how to deliver - close to 0 bugs in about 10 hours of gameplay (enough to finish off normal difficulty). Graphics wise the game is not really a gem for the eyes to gaze upon. As every other Blizzard game even an old PC would be able to run it smoothly and because of that even on MAX details and etc. the game is just about average compared to most modern day made games. The art is somewhat different from what I expected but that's just my opinion. In terms of audio and sound Blizzard has made some decent soundtracks for the different environments and cutscenes which is always a plus if you want to get the player in a certain mood or help him understand the depth of the atmosphere around him. The game as overall runs smooth and with no random drops in frames per second or any kind of audio bugs and etc.
    Gameplay: Now this is where I am going on a rampage to criticize the game ...
    First off - game was made by some of the devs behind the making of World of Warcraft and thus the game is just made plain simple ... When leveling up you don't get stat points, nor skill points to customize your build of your character, the only thing that makes you more different from any other person out there are the stats of your gear. It's strange how when you see the "LEVEL XX" above your character you start thinking "oh boy, how should I distribute my points" and then you remember - "oh ye, I can't do anything". Stats are automatically leveled up and spells get unlocked so you can't really do anything at all. You could perhaps differ from other people by customizing your spells with spell glyphs but then again - everyone will obviously select the ones who are best in slot. So far everything is World of Warcraft similar, isn't it ? Moving on - crafting. At first I was really hyped behind all this crafting of gems and items, but after I got familiar by spending gold to level those professions I once again got this though in my head "isn't this the same thing as the crafting in WoW?" ... and it really is. Auction house was added which the Diablo games never really needed. After I got through normal I decided to check the AH and what did I see ... hundreds of useless items flooding it making it a bit irritating.
    What else am I missing ... the interface is somewhat what was to be expected modern version of the D2 interface with a little touch of WoW again with those quest tracking and etc. And before I conclude with the review here is what is the most annoying in the game - the limit of players in one MP game is 4, that's right - 4 ! Those that have more than 3 friends with which they want to play together - sorry, you won't be able ... get over it.

Final words to sum everything up: For 60 bucks you get a strictly controlled through DRM game which will requier you to play online your dose of single player action and if you're headed to MP be warned, you can only play with up to 3 of your friends in one game ... that is, of course, if you are ABLE TO CONNECT to the servers. D3 will offer you mediocore graphics and art plus audio and sounds at a decent level which you can run easily even on an older computer. For those such as myself who have tagged along from D1 through D2 in the new D3 you will not see anything "new". Blizzard took 4 years of time to develop a game which is more like Diablo 2 but with modern graphics, audio and interface and added to it useless features such as crafting of items and gear and above all an AH flooded much like World of Warcraft's one - lots of things, most of which not worth even the time to stop and look at them.

As I said in the start - I didn't expect much ... and didn't receive much in the end ... as expected of Blizzard's MMORPG devs - they don't know how to deliver to the hack and slash fans of the Diablo franchise ...
  40. May 16, 2012
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not overly impressed with this return to a classic franchise. I'm not biased by being either a blizzard fanboy or hater here, just a gamer and worker in the industry and I used to be very proud of working on one of the games that Diablo bounced off of back in the day.

In fairness, before I continue, I have to say that it is hard to innovate with a product with the kind of established formula that made the originals so much fun. It's difficult to walk the line between making changes that are acceptible to new players without cutting elements that were enjoyed by old fans.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like blizzard actually tried.

Diablo 3 is an ok game, its reasonably pretty whilst retaining enough of a dated feel that you feel as if you are still playing the same franchise, and thats it. If players are able to complete the game in under 7 hours as they are reportedly doing, then its a safe bet to say that there hasnt been a significant increase in the amount of actual content...

In truth this doesnt feel like a new game. It feels like Diablo 2, rigged to work on direct x 9 at a slightly higher resolution, with voice actors and a cash shop.

And there we come to the crux of it - I already get the impression this was less about the game, and more about making money from commission on item sales. If it takes off, I'm sure blizzard will take the knowledge learned from this product test, and apply it elsewhere.

The most impressive aspect about this title for me, at least, was seeing how badly the gaming community has been pre-conditioned to accept what was an abysmal product launch with terrible community management, where in other industries directors would be fired, stocks dropped and people held publicly accountable. Even more concerning the fact that the community management seemed to rely on fans to shout down the backlash from the people who tried to highlight this very issue..

All in all, its an ok game, a nice reminder of earlier years, but not worth the heafty price tag. Caveat Emptor dear reader, do not be fooled into believing this is anything other than another corporate cash cow for an already highly skilled company of "milkmen"...
  41. May 16, 2012
    I'm a bit disappointed by this game. The gameplay is still pure hack'n'slay, but that's it. Nothing new to add a strategic value to this game. I would compare this game to the hundreds of "korea-grinders" and that's it.
    Nothing to seperate form any F2P mmorpg game (the auction house generates the profit for blizzard here). The only reason this sells for money is the franchise. - I think it's an solid game, but not "good". It simply lacks of complexity and customization of your characters. Graphics are very simple, but this means it runs an almost any better calculator (tested it on a AMD E-350 based NetBook at medium settings).
  42. May 16, 2012
    Bad always online DRM for a single player game with optional coop.
    Bad log in servers implementation.
    No choice over skill unlock means makes the game boring, and nothing to plan or wait for.
  43. May 16, 2012
    I signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game andI signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game and instead consider it a new experience. Whether that new experience is for you, is going to be a personal thing. What I would say is that the release has been so badly managed it's shocking. It's been so bad, that the game has been utterly destroyed by the press based heavily on the login experience. Which actually IS as bad as people make out. My experience was that at 5PM when everyone got home from work at the same time, the servers got hammered. At which point I managed to get in 3 times in 4 hours. All 3 times the connection was unstable and I got booted within 15 minutes. Which wasn't enough time for my friends to get a connection so we could play together. So All in all, I over a 4 hour period I played for 15 minutes, which was mostly just waiting about. Joyous.

Eventually we did get a game in, at about 11pm, when everyone in Europe had gone to bed. For an hour or two. And we kind of enjoyed it.

I'd say that there is also a misconception going around about the length of the game. Don't get me wrong, this is no WoW sized game, but it is much bigger than you would believe reading the reviews. People have quoted finishing the game in 2 hours. You'll only do that if you ignore absolutely all dialogue and run from start to finish as quickly as you possibly can. Ignoring all side quests, and avoiding killing most things. You can do this in almost all games. Look for speed runs on youtube, games that took the average gamer 30+ hours will have speed runs of 1 hour or less. And most of these people are just trying to look l33t. Don't play the game like this, you'll make a mediocre experience worse. Play it properly, explore, see things, do things.

I'm giving this 5/10, I'm trying to look past the login issues and see the bigger picture with that score, it would have been lower.
  44. May 16, 2012
    You are a all a bunch of whiny little kids. This is what happens when Blizzard makes a beta for a weekend and they don't let the more people know that there's a beta going on and they're testing servers.
  45. May 16, 2012
    Too easy (the flow is terrible, it results in a very boring experience). A backwards step in the skill system (an illusion of choice, no stake in your advancement, nothing particularly good to look forward to). The UI is average (the skill screen(s) are hopeless). The graphics are far from what you'd expect today (they're mass audience MMO quality, i.e. lowest common denominator). RealToo easy (the flow is terrible, it results in a very boring experience). A backwards step in the skill system (an illusion of choice, no stake in your advancement, nothing particularly good to look forward to). The UI is average (the skill screen(s) are hopeless). The graphics are far from what you'd expect today (they're mass audience MMO quality, i.e. lowest common denominator). Real money trade affects all players whether they use it or not (why work hard when the guy next to you had the money to spend on something much better than your equipment, for no time spent?). I clock 200-360ms ping .. in singleplayer. Loot is individual among coop players (this is a bad thing - you no longer have a sense of shared achievement, you have less connection to those you're playing with). All the goddamn fog (why?!)

Conclusion: Diablo 3 will never reach anywhere near the cult status of Diablo 2. You're best off going back to that golden classic or waiting for Torchlight 2.
  46. May 16, 2012
    Played trough the act I only, yet. The reason I don't give this game a 10 is because of connectivity issues. While I was able to play this game, I had faced lag and difficulty to log in often.
    But lets keep things in perspective. The game is true to the other diablo games. It is dark in tone, and the game-play is very good. The customization of your character is present, visually(you can change color of your armor, make it disappear) and systematically, with the runes and the fact that changing the current active ability during combat its very complicated.
    It is a good game, great art, nice graphics( people who are expecting FPS type of graphics dont understand much about gaming), and the story, so far, has being good, for a hack n slash game.
  47. May 16, 2012
    Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

It was known for a long time: single player totally f****d, no stats, skills and runes, 60$ price tag for unknown reason and finaly no demo, guest passes instead. DRM is more than enough to not buy the game, and the rest is not much better. It was clear before release that you get the game for children with special needs who can't distribute 5 points in 4 stats
  48. May 16, 2012
    Blizzard proves once again that they have grown too big to innovate after WoW. I mean, WoW was their last real title and SCII and DIII are just graphics renewals. Now, this time even graphics remake is not really successful - environments are exciting (especially I liked the taverns), but animations look _very_ ugly and effects and particles are just outdated. Yes, the interface is great,Blizzard proves once again that they have grown too big to innovate after WoW. I mean, WoW was their last real title and SCII and DIII are just graphics renewals. Now, this time even graphics remake is not really successful - environments are exciting (especially I liked the taverns), but animations look _very_ ugly and effects and particles are just outdated. Yes, the interface is great, and some outfits look fun, and some locations are breathtaking, but it all doesnt count because this game is just the SAME. SAME gameplay: Not even _one_ new feature. Maybe jumping from level to level in the dungeons. Nice work inventing this one for 10+ years. SAME storyline and look and feel - you even start by killing zombies and then skeleton and etc.

Overall, I spent years playing DI, then DII, and now just a few hours playing DIII and I will not be back to play the same game I used to play --- thats how disappointed I am about this release.
  49. May 16, 2012
    Like many of you, I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for quite a number of years. D2 was a gem of my adolescence that I spent countless hours click away demons and cows. WIth much anticipation, I've been counting down the days to this massive release. The D3 open beta stress test, a few weeks back, gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe the launch would be smooth... Sadly, far from theLike many of you, I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for quite a number of years. D2 was a gem of my adolescence that I spent countless hours click away demons and cows. WIth much anticipation, I've been counting down the days to this massive release. The D3 open beta stress test, a few weeks back, gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe the launch would be smooth... Sadly, far from the truth.

#Error37 was the most trending topic in the twitterverse almost all night 5.15. Hordes of people were disappointed that they could not play a game that they waited for, for so many years. I successfully logged on at 3 AM, but to my dismay, none of my friends could... and since Blizzard is forcing you to play on Bnet -- I felt the need to wait for them. And not to go too far off tangent, but DRM and all that #!@% is silly to worry about. An offline mode should have accompanied this game. It still would have sold like hotcakes.

So asides from all of the troubles with logging in to the game; I've found it to be enjoyable. I don't know if it has lived up to the hype that I was hoping for, but to each their own. Everyone had high hopes for this game because of our beloved DII. I'd recommend this game once servers stabilize a bit.
  50. May 16, 2012
    Actually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined theirActually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined their sequels by trying to update to more "modern" graphics, AoE2 to AoE3 for example, Dungeon Keeper to DK2, or Mech Commander to MC2. And at the end of the day, gameplay > graphics. Enough said.

Personally I think the game looks great, and reflects the rest of Blizzard's stylised persona. The story is good, if not entralling, and the characters are great. Character development isn't fantastic, it's very stream-lined and could perhaps be deemed dumbed down. You have 6 skill slots with multiple options and glyphs, the first 2 being your clicking options, and the next four being keyboard 1-4. It would be nice if there was an option to flick between 2 premade sets for different situations, especially in multiplayer where you cannot pause.

I haven't tried all the features yet, but after finally getting past several error codes yesterday, 2 friends and I had a little bash through some of Act 1. It's pretty fun, and when it works, it works smoothly. The game does seem rather easy though, and I think hardcore will be the way to go for most gamers, though boss-fights are gonna be scary!

This isn't Diablo 2, and it isn't a piece of art. DRM and server issues aside though, it's a pretty enjoyable game.

PS, to those who struggled to get on, I found the servers became busiest at around 3.30pm, gives you a hint about those who have been raging below!
  51. May 16, 2012
    The game could have been much better if it was kept as a simple offline game, but with the entire game being online, simple things players have come to expect from a point and click RPG are now subject to latency normally only seen in MMORPG's. I am very disappointed that there is no offline mode. Being overseas means I cannot play this game. A massive waste of my money.
  52. May 16, 2012
    Good : - Same old gameplay we know and love, evolved to fit in the new generation
    - The pacing feels just right, the story & dialog doesnâ
  53. May 16, 2012
    A solid meh. Without ranting about server issues, you click things and they die. Sometimes when there are a lot of things you press a number and/or q and continue clicking things. The setting, atmosphere and story is alright but not good enough to make up for the repetitive gameplay.
  54. May 16, 2012
    I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character,I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character, bad plot... definitely it's not Diablo. This game is just a '' catch the mole '', when the only thing u can do is clicking on the enemies from the beginning to the end. And we waited 12 years for this... And the freaking and very simplified crafting system, the only new feature copied (and they did it so bad) from Wow, should really be avoided. Expand
  55. May 15, 2012
    The best way to describe Diablo 3 is by detailing it's similarities with Duke Nukem Forever. They both have visuals that are behind the times, uninspired gameplay, and ultimately will not be able to reach the expectations of fans who have been anxiously waiting over a decade. However while Diablo 3 is simply more fun to play than Duke it has a whole host of other problems that, as of thisThe best way to describe Diablo 3 is by detailing it's similarities with Duke Nukem Forever. They both have visuals that are behind the times, uninspired gameplay, and ultimately will not be able to reach the expectations of fans who have been anxiously waiting over a decade. However while Diablo 3 is simply more fun to play than Duke it has a whole host of other problems that, as of this writing make it difficult to recommend. (For more detail read any other Diablo 3 lauch day woes on metacritic or many other public forums) Expand
  56. May 15, 2012
    It's a more user friendly, yet inferior D2.

It's a more user friendly, yet inferior D2.

Up until now the main draw of the Diablo series has been the combat. It's been fast paced, fluid, and crazy. There was also a sense of power in zooming around with a charge-adin, slinging spells constantly as a sorc, or controlling an army with a Necro. That's all gone. The new classes are former shells of their predecessors. A wizard is a sorc with no mana pots, 15 sec cd on teleports, and goes oom after 3 spells. A WD is a necro without the useful pets and a fraction of the curses/utility. Where as a sorc could teleport all over the screen while raining destruction the wizard is as mobile as a rock and relying on your basic attack more than your good spells. Where as the necro could control an army, chain gun debuffs, fill a room with walls, etc... The WD is so heavily cd limited it's funny. 25 second cd on your wall, 60 seconds on confusion, 120 seconds on your big summons. All of the cool toys the necro had with no cd are still there, but are severely hamstrung by cd's. The only good thing that can be said is that the game is friendlier. Respecs, stash space, UI, etc... are all great improvements. Granted these are things that are mandatory in modern games and D2 is 10 odd years old. Overall it's disappointing, not even factoring in the horrible connection issues and online requirement.
  57. May 15, 2012
    Bought the game today and spent ~4 hours on it. Experienced 2 time forced quit by server down.

The game is pretty much like torch light + diablo + wow ... Here's an incomplete list that let me feel that the expectation is not met at all: 1) The art style is not Gothic. 2) No single play mode 3) No attribute customization, your char totally lost the feeling of being "unique" 4) No pvp 5)

1) The art style is not Gothic. 2) No single play mode
    4) No pvp
    5) This game feel like TorchLight ... omg...
    6) Bad story, too short
    7) Core game play lack creativity. New games are meant to have creativity, not riped from older or even competeters' ...
  58. May 15, 2012
    The game itself is well made. It looks great, sound effects are great and even the story is not half bad. The problem is that it is not Diablo. The game does not feel anything like its predecessor, and instead the developers have borrowed most of the mechanics from World of Warcraft, a proven business model for success, and as a result, Diablo 3 just doesn't have that same feel to it.The game itself is well made. It looks great, sound effects are great and even the story is not half bad. The problem is that it is not Diablo. The game does not feel anything like its predecessor, and instead the developers have borrowed most of the mechanics from World of Warcraft, a proven business model for success, and as a result, Diablo 3 just doesn't have that same feel to it. Skills unlock as you level up, there is no need for planned builds as all characters get the same abilities and can switch them out at any time. Attributes are no longer player controlled, and even item randomization has predictable dull patterns. Overall Diablo 2 fans will be very disappointed with this lackluster sequel. Sadly these days many developers seem to be moving toward a mass market approach for games. Take the Mass Effect franchise for example. Expand
  59. May 15, 2012
    After a few hours of gameplay, I can safely say that Diablo 3 is a fun, minor distraction. It takes me back to my days of playing Gauntlet with my pals. D3 is a mindless, crazy-go-nuts hack-and-slash with some semblance of strategy. Really, it has about the same amount of challenge as its predecessors. I doubt it will keep me amused for long (certainly not as long as I'd hoped), but maybeAfter a few hours of gameplay, I can safely say that Diablo 3 is a fun, minor distraction. It takes me back to my days of playing Gauntlet with my pals. D3 is a mindless, crazy-go-nuts hack-and-slash with some semblance of strategy. Really, it has about the same amount of challenge as its predecessors. I doubt it will keep me amused for long (certainly not as long as I'd hoped), but maybe the future content will be mildly interesting. Of course, given its shaky start, there is simply no telling when exactly that content will come. The connectivity issues are inexcusable; in no way does Blizzard deserve leniency in that regard. It might have been okay with their MMORPG eight years and many millions of dollars ago, but now? No. No, Blizzard. Unacceptable. However, I feel that once that's hammered out this game will equate to several movie's worth of entertainment (about $60) for the average gamer. Mind you, I feel the average gamer isn't going to pay out of pocket for gold and top-of-the-line pvp gear, but then I'm no marketing strategist. I -have- considered the underwhelming customization options and I've concluded that it's an improvement. Sure, they've taken away the skill points, but they have given each skill a lot of variants with which to mix and match. Now that I think about it, how in-depth was D2's skill point system REALLY? I don't know about you, but I always ended up maxing four or five skills and concentrating on those; you see the exact same thing here only they've taken skill-management-regret out of the equation. As per the Diablo design, D3 has a lot of loot variations with randomly generated dungeons and increasing difficulty for future tours. Mechanically, it works. Is it revolutionary? Nah. I was not expecting it to be. Blizzard isn't in the business of 'revolutionary'. BUT... once you sift through the mire of technical issue, you're left with a decently-executed dungeon crawl with potential for fun with groups of friends. Considering that Diablo 3 is free to play (for the most part), there's no harm in checking back in later months to see how patching has improved the experience. Sadly, it's no surprise that the deplorable launch has spread psychotic rage throughout the community, and despite there being a smorgasbord of stats, gear, challenges modes, and difficulty levels, hardcore gamers will not appreciate all the stream-lining. Some attitudes may change when they finally release their pvp content, but, again, who knows when that will be? For me, Diablo 3 would be in-the-green with a 7/10, if not for the incompetent launch and missing features. Certainly not the worst thing I've seen, though, and it may improve over time. Expand
  60. May 15, 2012
    This game is good and disappointing at the same time. I needn't mention much on the server issues and lack of offline option. An oversight on Blizzard's part? I do not know.

What struck me was that yes some of the skills and graphics do look great, but the game seems to be tailored to an audience other than Diablo fans. It caters to the casual gamer so much that if this game didn't have blood, gore and body bits it could have a substantially lower MSRB rating. When it comes to customization of your character you are more or less along for the ride. Stat points do not exist and your character will grow based on level, but not by your input. Skill trees do no exist and skills are unlocked as you level, a system that has been come to be expected in games of the day (just think COD). However, this system doesn't seem appealing for an RPG fan were certain choices are taken away from you, such as investment in prerequisites. Choices do occur when selecting skills from a pool (your left, right click, and numbers 1,2,3,4). From each pool you can only select one skill. This I didn't like at first, but at least you have to make a choice somewhere and this is likely necessary for balancing, maybe. It is nice though that you can customize each skill via the rune system, but the runes aren't created equal (unlocked at different levels) and we'll likely see the same one paired up with a particular skill nearly all the time due to effectiveness.

The game did bring back the nostalgic feel of Diablo exploration and item drop collection. However, some points to feel rather linear. I have yet to replay a part to confirm this and will not let this factor in rating, but the feeling was there nonetheless.

Additionally, some of the boss battles do seem rather cool and have potential for being heated and nerve-racking. At the moment though the starting difficulty is rather low and soloing the bosses or even tanking the earliest ones was not hard (I'm a witch doctor). However, with the end of Act one and the beginning Act II opening up this is shifting and I look forward to overcome challenges with companions.

The Co-op though is proving to be a bit of a disappointment, largely in part of the player cap in game has been dropped from eight (8)in Diablo 2 to the current four (4) in Diablo 3. These more intimate games are not exactly what I expected when buying a multiplayer game. I suppose thought I'll have to grudgingly learn to live with it, unless Blizzard can at least patch it to 6 (hint, hint). That said though we liked how you could see another players map and the ease of meeting up when joining a game via the banner system.

So far I suppose I enjoy the game, but as I play it I know its just a game and can walk away from it. It has not drawn me in either the story or character development. At this stage I do not think I will ever play this game as much as I had D2. D3 offers some new and interesting things to the action RPG genre (skill runes and some physics), but so far its linear skill development, lack of stats and reduced co-op have left us wanting and disappointed (used this word a lot because its true).

I gave this game a six, a score balanced between dissatisfaction (for what it is now) and optimization (for what it may become in patching or later acts, which I can't look into because the servers constantly down).
  61. May 15, 2012
    The game is definitely fun, but it just doesn't feel like a Diablo game and more like a clone with a different atmosphere( it's nowhere near as gory as Diablo 2!) Although it has improved on a few things from Diablo 2 it has also ruined a few things that made Diablo 2 great. Of course my biggest issue is paying 60 dollars for a semi-playable game. It is an atrocity that Blizz forces you toThe game is definitely fun, but it just doesn't feel like a Diablo game and more like a clone with a different atmosphere( it's nowhere near as gory as Diablo 2!) Although it has improved on a few things from Diablo 2 it has also ruined a few things that made Diablo 2 great. Of course my biggest issue is paying 60 dollars for a semi-playable game. It is an atrocity that Blizz forces you to play SP online only and have to deal with constant connection problems that can make you lose some of your progress in the game or not even be able to play at all. So far it's been fun but also a bit of a letdown. Expand
  62. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3, if I had to describe it in one word it would be, rapid. It keeps your heart pounding and your fingers bleeding. Blizzard has made the action of the game a fluid and fast experience, but it seems more a method to cover up the games many flaws. First I want to start off by saying that the game made some great innovations. The inclusion of being rewarded for finding lore was quite enjoyable. Also the gameplay was quite challenging. However challenging, it loses the urgency that the first two games in the series had. If you die, while grouped, any of your teammates can resurrect you, any number of times. While the resurrection feature is somewhat necessary, it takes away ultimately any gravity to your death. Though this feature might become more involved on the harder difficulties, it is apparently apart of Blizzards attempt to make Diablo main stream. There is a growing trend in games that tend to be shallow or even flawed to have gameplay be too fast to catch your breathe, let alone enjoy the beauty of the design. This trend is a means to open a game series up to a broader spectrum of clientele. I do not fault Blizzard for that, I even support there goals, but forgetting the core gaming group who made Diablo a flagship title for a company is not good business practice. When I talk about forgetting about the core I mean that Diablo 3 Rehashed a great deal from their older games, and not in an original manner. In two of the acts we return to areas we have previously explored in the older games. That means that more than half the game is unoriginal. The first act, in keeping with Diablo 2 starts of in Tristram, you save it and rescue Deckard Cain. I was happy to see Tristram again, especially in 3d isometric graphics, but what drills the thought of the game being rehashed is the next two acts. The second act takes place is Caldeum. Though an original name, it not only plays a great deal like Lut Gholein, but it is a desert land too. Even more so the area deals heavily with illusions, sewers, and alternate spaces all large parts of what made Lut Gholein. In act 3 you are taken back to Arreat. In Arreat, guess what..., the fortress is under siege by demons again, and you also have missions that operate like in Lord of Destruction. Some including destroying demon siege weapons, or rescuing overwhelmed allies, only to learn at the end you have been betrayed by a close ally. Almost identical to the story in LOD. Another indication of the rehashed nature of the game is that Azmodan is a poor version of Baal he attacks the fortress with his army trying to get the black soul stone. Unlike Baal, his nature which is sin, has nothing to do with his actions or his Act. Also another slap in the face for fans of the series is that the third act will always be a reminder that the actions at the end of LOD have nothing to do with Diablo 3. The world stone, it wouldn't have made a difference if it was corrupted saved destroyed. It doesn't effect the story of Diablo 3 what soever. Making Baal who was a true gaming memory,and LOD, completely pointless. The writing is artificially convoluted, and acts as if the previous games never happened. Even going so far as to change the history of Diablo 1 and 2 and giving the Dark Wanderer a back story. Instead of taking from the brilliant ending that Lord of destruction had, they come up with their own reasoning to play Diablo 3, discarding over 20 years of lore. The final nail to the rehash coffin is, like diablo 2, the fourth act is half as long as the other acts. It is the only truly new area, which happens to actually be Heaven. Unfortunately even the enemies are rehashed from diablo 2 as you fight some of the similar unique monsters from hell, like Tyrael's lieutenant. Diablo herself, as Leah was the daughter of Adria and the dark Wanderer, is a repeat of the previous games mechanics even using a circle of fireballs as an attack. Also it uses the overly used nightmare world where they extend the battle by having to fight shadow versions of yourself and Diablo as well. Furthermore, all member of the horadrim are dead, Deckard dies in act one, and his niece turns into Diablo. So because of the brilliant writers there is no one to guide future heroes as you have to kill Leah, Deckard's inheritor, and cannot save her, lets face it Bizzard you've done the fallen hero bit enough. The game is just a massive regurgitation of ideas, even stealing from horror movies having the part separate only to have someone die or get captured. If the bogus premise to slay demons didn't turn you off then the annoyance of having to be online to play single player will. I had no problem playing during launch, but many others did not get to play at all, and took off of work because of love for the game. Blizzards insistence to DRM the damn single player shows it cares more for its profits then the experience. Expand
  63. May 15, 2012
    So far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there areSo far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there are some positives in this game that diablo 2 really lacked. I just can't in good conscience give it over a 6/10 though, because there just isn't enough customization possible (there seems to be one IDEAL skill path and a bunch of not ideal paths), and they still insist on there being no offline play (I don't want to REQUIRE an internet connection to play some single player, what the hell.). Expand
  64. May 15, 2012
    Whilst obviously dumbed down and geared toward a bigger audience than solely Diablo fans, the game is an enjoyable dungeon crawler.

If you're a hardcore D2 player, you are going to dislike this game because of all the removed features present in d2 and lack of complete control over what skill points go into what. PVP no longer takes place in the campaign world, but rather in an arena similar to WoW.

If you're new to the Diablo series you're going to like this game, for it is not confusing or overly complicated (not saying d2 was, which its not. It is however more complicated compared to d3 [not saying that's better, which it isn't]).

Personally, I find it sad that the game didn't retain the dark and gritty style that was present in the first two Diablo games. It looks more like a gory Warcraft game than a Diablo game.
  65. May 15, 2012
    You will enjoy this game if you liked Diablo II. Story is ok, graphics are average at best and gameplay, well, it is exactly like Diblo 1 and 2. Nothing new.

Its not boring, you will play your first character until it finished the story, but thats it, nothing more. Blizzard failed at making a great game and it is really weird since it was so easy to make it better than the 2 previous

Blizzard failed at making a great game and it is really weird since it was so easy to make it better than the 2 previous ones.

Buy it if you dont know what to do with your money, dont if you still have Diablo 2 and paying the rent is not as easy as finishing this game.
  66. May 15, 2012
    After 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. ButAfter 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. But this game appears to be truly dumbed-down from D2. My initial impression is that every barbarian will play just like every other barbarian. There is no stat distribution, and in place of skill trees (which rewarded point saving), you simply unlock the next skill. In D2 you could play one class many different ways, in D3 every witch doctor looks like the next. this is unforgivable coming from Blizzard. This is not an action RPG, it's just action. I'm hoping, after 20 or 30 hours of gameplay, to be won over. But I'm not holding my breath. Expand
  67. May 15, 2012
    Meh. This would have been game of the year... in 2004. It's decent but gaming has moved on. Honestly Wow has diluted Blizzard, visually it's a murky mess, mechanics feel antiquated,broken infuriating DRM, story and setting are the only redeeming features but zero replay value. Where did those 12 years of development go? Play it through once, enjoy the story but then put it on your shelfMeh. This would have been game of the year... in 2004. It's decent but gaming has moved on. Honestly Wow has diluted Blizzard, visually it's a murky mess, mechanics feel antiquated,broken infuriating DRM, story and setting are the only redeeming features but zero replay value. Where did those 12 years of development go? Play it through once, enjoy the story but then put it on your shelf to collect dust, there are too many other compelling games to spend too much time with it. Expand
  68. May 15, 2012
    The game is fun, and the crafting systems is deeper than before, but required connection to battle.net has made the game almost unplayable for the first 18 hours of launch. DRM is ruining games and this is a prime example of why.
  69. May 15, 2012
    I played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem withI played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem with need for active connection to play, since I enjoy playing with friends more than playing alone. This game reminds me of WoW but with different angle. (I don't like WoW). But there are few things I like. The gameplay feels fluid and the control is responsive. Also you can choose some skills for your companion as well. I wouldnâ Expand
  70. May 15, 2012
    I'll give this game a 6. Because its a wonderful game, but you can't launch a RPG nowadays that does not let you customize your character's appearance. Preset characters? WTF I expected more from this game in this aspect.
  71. May 15, 2012
    This game is nothing compared to D1 and D2, the game is like a MMORPG called World of Diablo, this game have the same Spells, Classes with other name and a Fckng Grinding Game, the same design, and maybe the same graphic engine, many people waited 10 years for this?, the game has been developed for almost 4 years or more, and passed by many designers, to deliver something "bad", 0This game is nothing compared to D1 and D2, the game is like a MMORPG called World of Diablo, this game have the same Spells, Classes with other name and a Fckng Grinding Game, the same design, and maybe the same graphic engine, many people waited 10 years for this?, the game has been developed for almost 4 years or more, and passed by many designers, to deliver something "bad", 0 creativity, and of course, the DRM Stay Connected all the time, the game is not a fckng MMO, what happen with the people who have unstable internet connection or dont have Internet in their homes and buy the retail copy and not the digital?, they cannot play because the DRM, the same **** for SC2, the game have the same bugs, since the beta, and they dont fix this, the same exploits, the same glitch, im not a hater or a troll, im only a person who is dissatisfied with the final product Expand
  72. May 15, 2012
    i cant give this game any more than a mixed review until servers are running and i am satisfied with my time in sanctuary. gameplay is good for the seven hours ive had access. drm was applied terribly.
  73. May 15, 2012
    A great game ruined by requiring servers to be online to play.
    The game itself is great, probably worthy of 9.5/10. The problem is that in order to play, even when you want to play by YOURSELF, you need to 1) have an internet connection 2) servers have to be online. For that reason, I'm giving it a 6 on MC.
    A great game ruined by requiring servers to be online to play.

This means that if you aren't connected to the internet, you aren't playing this game. At all.
    This also means that when the servers go down, even if your internet is fully operational, you aren't playing this game. At all.

When do the servers go down? So far, fairly often. The servers will always have to go down at some point for maintenance, so during those times you aren't playing this game.

The reasons Blizzard chose to enact the online-only play aren't entirely all that bad

1) 24/7 Warden anti-cheat program to detect any kind of hackers
    2) DRM. You're not going to be able to pirate this game.

Is it worth it? Probably not. There are other ways to run anti-cheats that don't require servers. I love Blizzard as a company but they really screwed over a lot of people in this. To their credit, it's not like it was a surprise or anything though. They came out a while ago and said this is what they were going to do, and people still bought it anyway.
  74. May 15, 2012
    Well I'm disappointed with no offline play. It's absolutely ridiculous they advertise this game on commercials and internet as May 15 release I've been able to play once for 10 minutes since it realeased at 12 am on the 15.

Due to errors and server downtime I cannot play. This game needed offline implemented!!! As far as the game goes It's good, graphics are nice, story is good. I'm

I'm completely disgusted with the launch and no offline mode , so for that I'm giving it a 5
  75. May 15, 2012
    I honestly can't believe how completely bad this is. It's probably mostly just all of the hype that I had for it, but this doesn't live up to D2 in any way, shape, or form. Am I rating it especially low due to my broken expectations? Probably. But oh well.
  76. May 15, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, Diablo 3 is a good game, it is fun to play, but the way Blizzard handles things is absolutely horrible, the sole reason why this game might not be enjoyable is because of the way Blizzard treats it's customers

-You have to be online ALL the time, hell I even occasionally have lag in my singleplayer game?! Blizzard says this is because they wanted to make a multiplayer game, not a singleplayer game, ok, then why do I even have the possibility to play alone? Also, if you make it online only, at least have enough servers to handle the **** storm? I mean the game took so many years to finish, so much money, and then on the last meters to a perfect product you blow it all away because you wanted to save some costs by halving the amount of servers? This is absolute **** and you know it
    -Mods are not allowed at all, another reason to not give your money to this company, the game you bought is not yours, you can't do with it what you want, you have to use it in only the way they want you to

The only reason for this is to keep control of the people and make it slightly harder for softwarepirates to play, hell I will probably not buy it because of that, I will just get the game from somewhere else, crack it, mod it, play on private servers (might take some time but it will come) or I will just completely ignore it, because this is definitely not a "game of the year", and it will never live up to it's hype
  77. May 15, 2012
    I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway,I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway, if the servers go up again at some point... Expand
  78. May 15, 2012
    The game itself is fantastic. I have very few complaints there as they've improved on a number of things since D2. Unfortunately Blizzard decided it was a good idea to require an always online connection for single player, meaning you lose your map every time you sign out, you risk lag induced stuttering if there's a problem on their end or yours, and LAN isn't supported. For people thatThe game itself is fantastic. I have very few complaints there as they've improved on a number of things since D2. Unfortunately Blizzard decided it was a good idea to require an always online connection for single player, meaning you lose your map every time you sign out, you risk lag induced stuttering if there's a problem on their end or yours, and LAN isn't supported. For people that mostly wanted to play online, that's all fine, but for the significant portion of users that are only interesting in single player and/or LAN, Blizzard has thrown in completely unnecessary problems with this ridiculous DRM. To make matters worse, they weren't ready for the launch despite repeating their mantra "it will be out when it's done" for the past several years. Many users, myself included, couldn't log on for hours after the release, and midway through the day the servers went down again. I also found that after logging off and back on, all my keybindings had reverted to the default, so there are definitely still bugs that need to be ironed out. I expect these day 1 problems from Bethesda, which is why I don't buy their games until they've been out for months or years, but Blizzard has always promised a polished, complete product on release. Sadly, they have not delivered that. As a result, I will not be buying any full price Blizzard titles in the future and will completely boycott any future releases with ridiculous DRM. It's sad to see Blizzard sinking to the ranks of companies like EA and Ubisoft.

If it weren't for the DRM, Diablo 3 would get a 9/10 from me. But it has this horrible DRM and a terrible launch, so 5/10 is the most it deserves. Don't buy Diablo 3, at least not until the price comes down. Blizzard doesn't deserve to be paid full price for a game that was so flawed on release.
  79. May 15, 2012
    All those people that blame Diablo 3 are nerds. Diablo 3 is good. yeah, graphics looks alike middle of 2000's but gameplay remains the same. No manual customization of skills? Pfff, it is not needed at all. Just play and have fun.
  80. May 15, 2012
    Once your past the initial server issues the game runs very well even with alot going on, graphics are pretty good, not hardcore diablo2 player but this quite good, alot kiddys are upset with day of release server issues every game has.
  81. May 15, 2012
    Lots of things I could write, but I'll keep it short. The game is fun, but has problems. Achievements work whenever they feel like it, they are really a mess, I have received about 1/3rd of what I should, and this seems to me to be triggered by lag spikes, if you have a lag spike, even a small one so you don't even disconnect, the achievement service just dies without warning and you getLots of things I could write, but I'll keep it short. The game is fun, but has problems. Achievements work whenever they feel like it, they are really a mess, I have received about 1/3rd of what I should, and this seems to me to be triggered by lag spikes, if you have a lag spike, even a small one so you don't even disconnect, the achievement service just dies without warning and you get nothing and need to relog. Horrible. Graphics are ok, but very blurry. Why am I playing a blurry game at 1920x1080? No idea... Sound is awesome. Character and build customization are simplified, but that doesn't bother me too much, even in D2 the viable builds were only a handful and the rest were just ways to screw up your character, and I don't think anyone enjoyed grinding for another 2 months to make a new sorceress, only she spams lightning instead of frost. **** I don't mind the simplification. The atmosphere is fine, on par with D2 (of course not as dark and oppressive as D1). Can't comment on story, since I haven't finished it yet, can't comment on loot and AH either cause it will take months for a big portion of the loot to be discovered and for the AH to reach a "standard state" which could be a good or bad state, we just dont know yet. Overall, there are no moments where you are absolutely amazed, but the core of the game is solid. Expand
  82. May 15, 2012
    GRIM DAWN is solution to D3 being too casual and DRM... If you want to play true hardcore ARPG in the next year, check this game. Offline single player, LAN and all hardcore char customization D3 left out.

Played D3 in beta but now can't even log on. Even in beta though, char options a dissapointment and difficulty way too easy. Played through all of act one naked just to make challenge and still never died. Skill system a joke! Story constantly make you have to run back and forth unlike real Diablo of past where it was player choice. Word is barely randomized, even loot chests appear in same locations. What they do for so long in development?
  83. May 15, 2012
    Overall a good game, mechanics deserving a higher score than 4 or 5 but with a company as large as Blizzard I believe they owe more to their fans than to ignore such an obvious problem with the log-in process. If this had not been an issue with the game I would have given an 8 maybe 9, if this issue was handled well but still persisted then a 6-7, but just an apology from such a largeOverall a good game, mechanics deserving a higher score than 4 or 5 but with a company as large as Blizzard I believe they owe more to their fans than to ignore such an obvious problem with the log-in process. If this had not been an issue with the game I would have given an 8 maybe 9, if this issue was handled well but still persisted then a 6-7, but just an apology from such a large company with no obvious efforts to fix it is not right in my book. From what I have played of this game, it has been a decent dungeon grinder.
    Personal recommendation: Hold out for a major fix & price drop or Torchlight II.
  84. May 15, 2012
    Overall the game does not meet up the standards in Graphics of today games, the story is kinda good and the gameplay is repetitive and boring, somewhat of a dissapointment.
  85. May 15, 2012
    Wait a month after release, the game will be great I'm sure. Can't really feel sorry for Blizzard, though. They should know better than requiring an online connection for single player. The nature of evil is to destroy. Even though the aggressor may gain a lot very quickly, the result will eventually be destruction of both the victim and the aggressor. Last time I checked, greed isWait a month after release, the game will be great I'm sure. Can't really feel sorry for Blizzard, though. They should know better than requiring an online connection for single player. The nature of evil is to destroy. Even though the aggressor may gain a lot very quickly, the result will eventually be destruction of both the victim and the aggressor. Last time I checked, greed is evil, and Blizz is guilty of it in this case. Expand
  86. May 15, 2012
    Step 1. Take Torchlight
    Step 2. Add voiced dialogues
    Step 3. Release as a whole new game

This game gets the same score Torchlight got, since it's practically the same game just with slightly different graphics and voiced dialogues.
  87. May 15, 2012
    In my honest opinion this game deserved a 9 or 10. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. The only problem is that even though I am only playing single player I can't play because of the server overload. Seriously, Blizzard has received their millions of dollars from the millions of gamers who bought the game, so now can we play offline please? Even if you have to have separateIn my honest opinion this game deserved a 9 or 10. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. The only problem is that even though I am only playing single player I can't play because of the server overload. Seriously, Blizzard has received their millions of dollars from the millions of gamers who bought the game, so now can we play offline please? Even if you have to have separate characters for online and offline play. I am so disappointed at the moment I could cry. I new this was gonna happen, yet I still held on to the hope that the servers could handle the load. I even went and bought ADSL especially for this game. A lot of good that did me.... Expand
  88. May 15, 2012
    Honestly what's with the bad reviews? I've played this game for 2-3 hours now and it's been great so far. I can see that the skills are very different and versatile, and will hopefully be fun to use.
  89. May 15, 2012
    Before I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product ofBefore I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product of a completely polarized opinion, keep reading. First of all, I was fortunate enough to not have been subjected to the frustrations that so many experienced just trying to get the game to install. I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to say that while the game looks decent (I run it at low settings due to an older computer (I built it in 2004)) and is fast paced and entertaining, it's not what it could have been. The changes that Blizzard made to the series have led to a game with very little strategy, due in part to the lack of real options for building your character and also due to the fact that you get all of your character's skills automatically when you level up. Instead of having a maximum amount of skills that you can purchase during the course of a game, you are limited by how many abilities you can actually use at any given time. You start off with the ability to have a skill assigned to the left and right mouse buttons and then unlock 1 through 4 on the keyboard as you level up. While I understand that keeping the game simple was the goal here, the end result leaves a lot to be desired, as you will have more skills than you have hotkeys fairly quickly, which doesn't make much sense. Gone is the ability to choose to specialize in one skill or to branch out and have many skills that are less powerful. Your attributes (strength, dexterity and all of that) are improved automatically now, so there is yet another way to customize your character that has been taken from you. Also, they have continued the trend started in Diablo 2 and this game has moved even farther away from being a true single player game. I want a save feature, a real, honest to god save game feature. This is PC gaming in 2012, not Playstation gaming in 2000. Blizzard has made some truly bizarre decisions about what their players actually want in a game, and this is the result; less real customization and control of your character in exchange for some rather dubious features and way too much focus on level-based progression. Everything that your character can do, EVEN ASSIGNING HOTKEYS, is now based on character level...which is really, really stupid.

On the other hand, the lore in the game is pretty interesting, the game runs great on my older pc, the combat is entertaining, and the interactions you can have with some of the environments can result in some fun situations (usually involving a high body count). I enjoyed the voice acting and the art work, and I'm glad that the next chapter in this saga is finally here...I just wish they would have made it more like the first Diablo. On the other hand, I do feel that this game IS better than Diablo 2, so I think there is a move in the right direction; not a huge move, but a move none the less. Is it worth $60? Not really, but it is worth playing if you are a fan of the series. If your not, then you might not want to spend your time on this.
  90. May 15, 2012
    on the plus side it looks very nice and combat is fun much like in previous game, at least so far, dumb story, characters and voiceacting, so what, i didnt expect more after all the revealed material before release. changes in char development, skills and stuff, wowlike attitude is something i dont like in the essence but still im only level 16 so until later in game it's to early toon the plus side it looks very nice and combat is fun much like in previous game, at least so far, dumb story, characters and voiceacting, so what, i didnt expect more after all the revealed material before release. changes in char development, skills and stuff, wowlike attitude is something i dont like in the essence but still im only level 16 so until later in game it's to early to judge but it's kind of a let down. all in all i knew it wont be so good as dia2 but part of the reason if not the main part is that dia 2 came out when i was younger so there was no way i was gonna enjoy this more than that. Expand
  91. May 15, 2012
    This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. ButThis is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN! Expand
  92. May 15, 2012
    I felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as aI felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as a Wizard--his spells get really good toward the end. Expand
  93. May 15, 2012
    Too simplified game principles, wow graphics, too many concessions. Poor atmosphere as well. This game is not so good as Diablo 2. I don´t like new health/mana system as well. Character development is very simplified.
  94. Aug 24, 2012
    Blizzard / Activision has fallen from heaven. Diablo 3 shows us what happens when a good franchise is paired with abysmal and downright disgraceful business practices and devlopment. Here are my observations:

1.) Always online DRM has proven to have disastrous consequences for my game because now I am playing in inferno and when bad server connection from congestion leads to me being disconnected--- after I have secured level 5 nephalem valor (from killing 5 bosses to enhance drops) at great, painful effort, I have to start all over again. The game's mechanics are just being plain disrespectful. I play Diablo 3 99% of the time in single player and this mechanic has done me far more harm than good. They should have included offline option out of respect for players like me but apparently they don't care. Disgraceful! 2.) Story is brain dead and unworthy of the franchise. Character dialog is terrible and has been barely thought of. The story is disconnected from that of Diablo 2 and clearly dumbed down in preparation for some sort of bi-yearly recycling. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Guess what!? Diablo, Mephisto and Baal are apparently alive again! Trapped in the black soulstone (how did they get there!?) and now merged together into a "Legion" demon! Which is crazy because you completely destroyed them in Diablo 2; their souls have been destroyed forever in the Hellforge. They are gone and will never return. But how do you recycle a franchise without bad guys right? SO LET'S UNKILL THEM!!!

3.) Skill system offers little diversity. The very limited skills you get from reaching certain levels is really for plain brainless damage doing or avoiding/absorbing attacks. No intelligence required for use! Tactics!? Who needs that! Terrible.

4.) Gameplay is anemic. I consider Diablo 3 a step back in the franchise. I played Diablo 2 for many years and that offered far more options for gameplay than this one. Now everyone can be a tank/nuker at the same time except in inferno where it is freakishly difficult so that Blizzard will force you to buy items in their auction house and if you want the best, REAL MONEY IT IS! Blizzard takes 15% of all transaction costs!

5.) Gear system. Let me make it clear that Diablo 3 is NOT about player skill. It is about having the BEST gear. Skill in this game does not help at all with the super enemies in inferno (invulnerable minions with a boss that takes ages to kill) that will require you to have the best items in the game to destroy. You cannot even kite because Blizzard threw in the 10-minute enrage timer in inferno so if you do NOT kill the boss or champion group in 10 minutes your life will automatically rapidly degenerate to zero. So the only solution is BETTER items that you can get through auction house! They did not have to do this but they did to control you and FORCE YOU to play the game their way. I find that highly disrespectful as I want to play as I see fit. Nobody should kill you for not playing a game a certain way! And I play fair.

Conclusion:
    Diablo 3 is a waste of money. The brainless convoluted Call of Duty-equivalent of RPGs. It is completely dumbed-down to appeal to a "BROADER" audience--- Perhaps too dumbed down. Blizzard expects us, their customers, to not care about the gameplay, story and experience. They expect us to care only for one thing--- hype. "I am cool because I play Diablo 3! Did you see the website!?". Regardless of how bad that game is. Their mentality has led them to spend outrageous amounts of cash on marketing to over-hype the game while they super-rushed, starved, and went downright thrifty on the development team which led to a game that is only a third as good as it should be (the way I see it, they took only 2-3 years to make this) Because they think we are all carefree kids. Not me. I am a fan of the original and this is not the successor of Diablo 3. You do not have to support this hogwash of a game. Show them that you disapprove of the deliberate trashing of franchises by NOT buying this game.

I am giving it a 2. Yes this is a working game that does deserve more merit if it stands on its own. And by that I mean its own franchise. If this was a new franchise I might give it a 4 or 5. But it is not a new franchise. This is Diablo 3. The successor to what many consider to be the greatest RPG of all time. And I will grade it on that basis. If you are the successor then you should be better. If you cannot. Then save face and start your own franchise. And this game has failed miserably at that. I will not compromise.

1. Aug 31, 2012