3.9

1. Jul 19, 2013
    The worst gaming purchase I've ever made. Besides enforcing draconian DRM without makign a truly connected world, fails to reach the bar raised by its predecessors in the art direction, music, mechanics and story. It's lame narrative, coupled with a purposedly dumbed down control (for console testing), linear gameplay and shallow progression system makes this an incredible disappointing experience. Expand
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    -pay to win
    -stupid storyline (my cat can write a better one)
    -no skill/stat points
    -stupid class choices
    -bad graphics (yes it is bad.)
    **** artwork
    -dumb soundacting
    -retarded bosses
    -moronic followers
    -useless items

+auto picking gold is not a bad idea. congratulations.

made by retards for morons to play. good fuvking job.
  3. Jul 18, 2013
    Most stupid game ever

-Always online DRM
    -Lack of skill diversity
    -Connection errors
    -Short Story
    -Play to win

+Nothing

Really bad game.Don't buy!
  4. Jul 16, 2013
    Diablo 3 is quite excellent hack & slash game, with plenty of loot and battle. Unfortunately the game is fun only the first or the second time, because it changes from exciting story and fun exploration into dull and boring grinding of your characters. There is no raids as in wow, so a max level character is nice to have but utterly useless. With group this game fun and you want to play it again at least one more time, but alone you just wanna get to the end, and repeatibility doesn't seems like an exciting idea. Expand
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    Una porqueria le dieron en toditita la madre haciendolo online.
    Se requiere de la coneccion a internet forzosa, por lo que es una porqueria, no lo compren. Te clavas en el juego, luego te quitan el internet porque no pagaste, y pues ya chafeaste. 0000
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    One giant pile of garbage. They pretty much destroyed the Diablo Lore and did nothing but create a boring game based on making from the auction house for Blizzard. Possibly the dumbest and biggest failure in video game history. Avoid this game like the plague.
  7. Jul 13, 2013
    Diablo 3 is probably one of the biggest waste of $60 I have spent on a game. The graphics are pretty good with as much going on the screen, but several other factors are absolutely terrible. There is little to no customization of your character, where the game does not allow you to choose stats or the skills you learn and empower them greatly. Also, the story is very bland with one what could be considered a twist at best (I know it is a hack-and-slash, so I'll let this one go). The game play starts out well, but gets boring after putting in 10 hours or so (Farming for gear is just awful, as the boss fights are pretty generic and you have no other reason to get better gear once you beat all 4 modes). Speaking of modes, the design team sounded lazy by trying to provide a full experience with 1/4 of the content by making you play each mode to get to the next one. The release of the game was awful, as it looked it was still in beta and is only now a release-worthy product (if I dare say even that). The critics obviously played the first few hours, if that, and did not think about long-term game and replay value. Oh well...At least now I know not to buy any more Diablo games. Expand
  8. Jul 13, 2013
    Sigh. One of the biggest disappointments of 2012. BUT there is a remedy. Torchlight II. Go buy it. It's on sale on steam for $10 and will literally address every complaint you have with this mess.
  9. Jul 12, 2013
    Dumbed down. No choices that matter. Way more action than RPG. World too small (see Sacred 2). Items and item stats horrible. This is a loot finding game where a normal amount of playtime for a working adult (5 or so hours a week) will take you decades to find interesting items i did'nt say buy...). AH bad idea for those who only want to solo the game and find cool items. Bliz made this for a new (WoW) type of gamer, not a hardcore old-school gamer that wants the thrill of the hunt. Leveling waaay too fast. No runes as objects. Poor customization for items/item upgrades. Stash too small. Unnecessary gold sinks. Items better in Van Helsing, and it's a $15 game! Some people like what they've done... I'm ok with that, but this is now an online focused game that can be played solo. I'd be happy if it was a game that could be played solo without any interaction with anyone or online influence on game design. Always online doesnt bother me, i have good net. It's being forced to play in others sandbox. Expand
  10. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is a disgrace, an insult, a puke, a shame. It is bad, so bad it hurts. It is made by morons for morons, all in the name of greed. Don't be fooled: everything about it is wrong. Avoid at all costs.
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    What can we say about these numbnuts. DRM really SUCKS. DRM really SUCKS. Blizzard is ona hiding to nothing cause they full of numbnuts, cause DRM really sucks
  12. Jul 1, 2013
    not worth the wait and the game is made so little kids can play it
    cool kiddie game you guys are playing hope you enjoy.... i'm hating it.

Torchlight 2 a bit better not much
  13. Jun 30, 2013
    It would be a masterpiece if it was from a small company with 10 workers or something.
    But it's not, it's from Blizzard, it's predecessor is nothing else than Diablo II.
    Unforgivable.
  14. Jun 30, 2013
    It`s a Blizzard Game, and Blizzard makes always very good Games. Do not listen to the 0/10 Points Reviews, the most People make this because they hate to be Online, Error 37, the Auction House or the difficult Gameplay on Inferno. It was made really easier by Blizzard)
    Yeah, you Need to Farm für Month the same Levels, but this was in Diablo 2 and 1 even so.

When you Score the
    Gameplay, the Game gets a 8 oder 9 off 10. The Game is even better than Tochlight, Path of Exile ore any other Hack&Slay Expand
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    The good thing about diablo 3 is the goblin.
    If they made diablo 2 lod with better graphic i think more would buy that game, than diablo 3. Everything that made diablo 2 good, is now missing, What i miss the most are the rune words, and the skill system. And i never had one decent drop, with over 200 hours gameplay. And yes, i do have mf and a budy of mione gave me items that i only could
    have been dreaming on getting myslef. I can play monster lvevl 5 all acts easy Expand
  16. Jun 27, 2013
    This game lacks everything that would make people remember and love it's predecessors. Graphics 7/10 Dark and nice. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds 7/10 No Matt Uelmen but it fits. Gameplay... Oh boy. I could go on and ramble about the weaknesses of this game like everybody did. Instead here are three things Blizzard has to fix in order for the game to make more fun: -Get rid of the preskilling system. All of it. Skill AND Ability preskilling is the wrong way. Most of the fun in D1 and D2 was character customization. If you simplify it, you take out the fun of the game. Instead, make choice matter.

-Skill damage based on weapon damage. Get rid of it. Seriously, this mechanics is the very reason that's making the game repetitive and unplayably boring. All you need to win is enough items with +stat to your main attribute. I keep seeing lvl 26 characters dual wielding 196 damage weapons and owning every major boss in under 10 secons. That would not have been possible in D2.

-More Diversity in item affixes. All you get are the same lame stats boost over and over again, magic find, more xp and gold and such. Healthdrain is rendered obsolete by the new healthglobe system. You could make the game more challenging by reducing the drops of those healthglobes.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    Fail Not much more to add this game is a joke People don't buy expansion pack, maybe that will teach them $%^# You blizzard for this massive disappointment
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    That game is absolutely fantastic-YOU ALL give that game 0 or 1. Why? because you said "that's boring". But it's hack n' slash When you know what hack n' slash is- and you don't like it- so why you bought it and play?In newest version lags and kicks are so rare.I think you are only haters of Blizzard.
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    Reasons to avoid like the plague: ERROR 37. Real Money Auction House. Itemization. Class Balance. Repetitive. Ugly. Candy colours designed for children. Incredibly clichéd and poor plot.

Just buy Torchlight 2, you're better off playing that game... on so many levels.
  20. Jun 17, 2013
    This game got roasted for having a rocky first week, as well as the impossibly high expectations from gamers who hold past Diablo games on a pedestal. I almost docked a point for being online-only, but I'm not someone who would actually play it offline, so for me it's not an issue. As it stands, the game is currently the best ARPG out there. The server hasn't been an issue since week 1, there is now PVP, the crafting is improved, the drop rates are better, the legendaries and sets are better, the players are genuinely pushed to play together cooperatively through massive bonuses, and players can control their gameplay experience a lot via the monster power settings. Of course the game can get boring after about 200 hours, but what game doesn't? The fact is that this is the best ARPG on the market. I've played the others, and they don't really hold a candle. The design of the skills and the classes is of the highest quality. Compare to Torchlight 2 where the skill balance and class balance is atrocious. Expand
  21. Jun 16, 2013
    I have paid for a game and can not even start a single player!? What exactly is on that disc?! It is a sick joke... Give my money and wasted time back!
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    How great this game would have been if it had been long enough to allow for your character to reach level 60 before you actually reached the end. As a diablo virgin, I leave this game scratching my head wondering what all the fuss has been about. I paid 60 dollars to play a 4 act game and got my character to the mid 30's, then learned to reach the level cap I had to play the same game but at a harder level. Same dialogue, same NPC characters... same story. I played through again and STILL was not at level cap. This is award winning game design? As much as I wanted to play the other characters I can't stomach having to go through the same acts 3-4 times each. Now it can be argued that the whole thing is just a loot grab. But I ask why can't the process of grabbing said loot be less monotonous? This game is half the size it should be. Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2013
    Possibly the worst game triple A game I have ever played in my life. The worst game in the ARPG/Dungeon Crawler genre, I would even dare to say it is an insult to the genre and should be tagged as an arcade game. The adjectives that come to mind to describe this game are far from pretty, so I will keep them to myself, but you get the idea. Seriously, I have trouble understanding how companies that are 5% of the size that Blizzard is have developed games that on Diablo 3 in every single possible way. I don't understand. Lazy devs? Greedy activision? I don't know. A user score of 3.8 is far too generous in my opinion. This game is scum and should be avoided at all cost. I for one will not be playing the Diablo 3 expansion even if it is free. What a pile of garbage. Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2013
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    diablo 3 is a pretty solid action game (not arpg) and is enjoyable until a certain point, but it suffer from major design flaws.
    resistance and armor are the same thing, the damage of EVERY skills (physical attack, spell, minion) is based on the main hand weapon dps, if you want to upgrade you gear (after a certain
    amount of time) you can rely solely on the auction house.
    i would not recommend anyone from buying it, and the reason i give it a 6, is because the gameplay (smashing monsters face) is very good, indeed the only thing that's good about it.
    if i have to describe diablo 3 in one word, it will be: casualfest.
  25. Jun 9, 2013
    Launch was a disaster. Over 400 hours of playing and found nothing good. Sold items in RMAH to cover the cost of the game and quit. Never again blizzard. Waited over 10 years for this sequel and what a disappointment.
  26. Jun 7, 2013
    I've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methods and content. It's why writing a review on WoW is kind of pointless. You may love the game one month, and hate it the next. Diablo 3 has been moving, mostly, in the right direction. The story is weak and forgettable like with most video games. You won't be coming into contact with anything but a story designed for a 16 year old boy with little expectations. (Sorry, guys!) The gameplay is solid and visceral, but it lacks the complexity of RPG's in which you tailor and custom build your own character. The game focuses on "builds" with skills and the ability to switch them out on the fly as opposed to a stat allocation system in which all decisions are final. Take it or leave it. It's fun to smash monsters, and that's what D3 is mostly about: killing demons in the most brutal fashion imaginable. The maps gets repetitive after the 200th hour of play, but then again, what wouldn't? Still, I was expecting more variation on the part of Blizzard. Some places literally are the same thing each and every time. The MP can be fun, especially with friends, it is finally better to play WITH people as opposed to running away from them and sticking to solo play. The items in the game can still feel weak in an overall sense and in the subtle sense that most items don't' really do anything but boost your stats in increments. It's very World of Warcraft in that sense, no really cool things going on with the gear. Overall, I think it's a good game, but it's not revolutionary. I find myself playing it because I feel there simply isn't anything else that is a good time sink right now, and I'm not sure that's a good reason to play a game, but there it is. Diablo 3 will eventually probably be a gem, but it is still a work in progress. It's not nearly as bad as people want to believe though. It's a solid game, it's just not "Blizzard level". Expand
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm really shocked that this is a release from Blizzard Entertainment. It feels more like some sort of free to play cash shop game, where they design it to be mind-numbingly boring and hope that you'll buy things from the cash shop to improve your experience.

Unlike the vast array of other ARPG's I've played, this game just absolutely refuses to let you find your own gear upgrades. The
    intent was obviously to try to herd players to the auction houses to buy items, but considering ARPG's are largely about finding items, this design really ruins the experience. In fact, there's nothing else really to this game other than an incredibly boring, frustrating and defective item system. There (was) no pvp, the social system is basically non-existent--so I guess we are supposed to buy items from the cash shop so we can just log in and stare at our awesome character.

Blizzard removed a lot of things from the previous Diablo games, saying that these elements essentially constituted bad game design, but then they replaced these elements with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So there's now no reason to kill bosses in Diablo 3, (farming bosses was bad design, apparently), there are no skill trees, (skill trees are bad design, apparently), there (was) no pvp, (no pvp is apparently better design than imperfect pvp), not to mention various other elements that were removed from the series.

There's not much of a game here after the first play through, I'd spend my money on another title.
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    Require non-stop internet connection.
    Boring skill system.
    This game is just about farming.
    Less content from previous version (diablo 2)
    There is no challenge.
    There is no fun.
    There is no balance between heroes.
    Pay to win game
  29. Jun 4, 2013
    All Blizzard had to do was remake Diablo 2 with updated graphics and no RMAH. Always online for single player mode? What a waste of $60 this game was!
  30. Jun 2, 2013
    Wanted this to be great so much but bought it on release day and a week into it I didn't see any point in playing. Played it for the most part for the story and it was very very very bland. Story was overly predictable and weak. Gameplay is good but repetitive like D2 which wasn't bad cause the loot kept u playing but in D3 the drops for your character are horrendous which leads me to believe you are curbed to use the auction house I never did. I never bought items in D2 and never felt the need to with D3. As a huge fan of the franchise i'm just disappointed. No skill tree or skill points? D3 seemed to try and be too mainstream to me. Instead of staying true for all of us that waited on this game for so many years. Expand
  31. May 30, 2013
    The highly controversial Diablo 3 has let down many fans of the franchise, however due to recent patches I have revisited the game and I was shocked at the difference.

Sure it's still not D2, but blizzard has managed to implement subtle changes that change the feel of the game.

If you have quit the game for over 6 months, I do really recommend revisiting. Things have changed
  32. May 30, 2013
    1 point for cinematics -9 points for gameplay Act 1 was only good act in entire game everything else sucked hard .
    Act 2 makes me vomit Hurr hurr hahahaa i wont betray you go get my body & my head hahahahah thank you fool now i will destroy the world hahahah .
    Act 3 while you were busy raising the catabults my lieutnant stormed your cellar you will surely fall now after
    killing the fatty in cellar a mere victory over useless tool !!"!!!!
    Act 4 hurr hurr this is heaven basicly 1 kind of hallway over and over shemale diablo is waiting for you

Positive --
    Act 1.
    Classes.
    Co-op.

Negative
    AH & real money AH .
    Act 2 & 3 & 4 .
    Artificial dificulty we promise you you will die alot durr hurr lets add rare packs that are impossible to kill like molten jailer teleport mortar Gl with that .
    Angels are useless tyrael doesent do a damn thing and that strongest angel just keeps getting his ass kicked .
    Story sucks ass Cain dieing to evil butterfly .
    Graphics they are using wow engine that is like 8-9 years old this is worse rehash than COD.
    Loot basicly game is made so that you wont get any good loot and have to use auction house.

Fire jay wilson remove auctionhouse atleast real money ah fix the loot make better story
  33. May 29, 2013
    Some rare and strange appears only in the rare spawn points, this setting is also normal, everyone can sum up, there's always the law to investigate!
  34. May 28, 2013
    I plan to keep my distance from this iteration. Having played on a friend's computer, I can say I neither like 1.) how Blizzard feels about their customers, and 2.) how they make their games nowadays (and what their games are, in consequence).

Diablo 3 is a game where none of the original authors were involved in creating the sequel. In this case, it amounts to an analogy of R. A.
    Salvatore writing "Lord of the Rings 2", or the author of Twilight authoring "Crime and Punishment 2". The changes are just too contradictory to what Diablo 1 and 2 represented. Why did Blizzard North get sacked? Because they had artistic integrity? Just look at the original plans for D3, from the early 2000's, they say a lot about how the game was really meant to be. It is really disappointing that the original project got scrapped. Besides, the vast majority even on Blizzard's site have stated they definitely prefer the originally planned art, even in this day when graphics and all is supposed to be better, and many of whom state this really appreciate graphics in general.

A game is primarily defined by what emotion or feeling it gives to the player. This is done via artistic and conceptual vision. Diablo 3 does not feel ANYTHING like D2. Smoothness and high-performing requirements can be good things, but very often are just otherwise.

People game for the EXPERIENCE, not the way you swing your hammer, how neat the inventory looks or how fast a button-click responds. The experience is both intellectual and artistic. But Diablo 3's ambient qualities just plummeted to regular cartoons, and mindless DPS-viewing.
    It IS cartoony as by the saturated candy-whooping animations and designs, silly (wow, a boss named "Skeleton king"... wow, how cheesy), simplistic (they've scrapped the whole stat and skill system, and in fact, all LOGIC behind choosing skills instead you'll just choose and construct a "role" or animations). It IS simply dumbed-down both artisticly and stat-wise.

Ok, whoever enjoys MMO's (and Blizzard's oh-so-inspirational WoW in particular), you can be delighted by this game. But it is nowhere near art as opposed to originals.

Not to mention that the originals were SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES, that actually ALLOWED playing the game. Whereas this iteration throws other players in your game, without you having any intention of playing with them (not to mention the damned DRM). And on top of all, this MULTIPLAYER game does not allow for competitive multiplayer nor LAN.

This Diablo 3 can go to Pandaria, as much as I am concerned.
  35. May 27, 2013
    What the heck is this? Blizzard just lost all respect I had for them. I have always been a huge D1 and D2 fan and played the crap out of them: D3 is a letdown. #1: persistently online; it lags and you can't play it without internet. Worse you can get hacked and will receive constant spam to buy money. #2 first two acts are carbon copy of D2, second two are super bland and lame. #3 no creative leveling at all. No "points" #4 witch doctor replaced the necro? really? #5 real money auction house is a joke and shouldn't be in any game, ever. Really just a total piece of crap. All they have done is upgrade the graphics, which really aren't that good, and screw up what they already had with online stuff. Should be called Diablo 2.5. Next time Blizzard, think about what you're doing. Expand
  36. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the least deserving game to get a low user score I have ever seen. The truth is a lot of the reviewers are simply cult fanatics who grew up with the prequels and have too many complaints because they're too edgy to be satisfied by any follow ups. DRM is acceptable the only people who complain about that are people who want to pirate the game instead of having to dip into funds their parents won't let them have. In truth Diablo 3 is a fantastic game with an inspired artistic style. While it is true that the story cannot be appreciated after repeating every difficulty mode, this reviewer reckons the true fun isn't to be had until one invests in their op legendary gear and starts farming Inferno (10). The truth is the game isn't meant to be soloable at this level because there is a huge dependency on class ability diversity when fighting elite mobs. The story line is brilliant and the real-time rendering of the cinematic cutscenes lives up to Blizzards standards set by the WoW franchise. As little as a user score matters in what is probably one of the most overcritical, insatiable demographics, I must say that Blizzard have barely deserved such treatment when there are much worse games out there receiving better scores simply due to a smaller demographic that doesn't consist of a bunch of whiny little kids.

To the morons who keep complaining about not logging on, there are 3 likely explanations: EIther your internet speed is awful, you pirated the game and you're too stupid to understand what DRM is or you tried to log in during downtime. Regardless, you're a bunch of bloody idiots because you can't review a game that you haven't played just because you're clearly doing something wrong while everyone else is getting on just fine. Seriously, your zeros are worthless!
  37. May 22, 2013
    Probably the worst gaming experience I've had, or should I say let down, in years. Forced online game play. Repetitive unoriginal gameplay. Uninspired graphics. And let's not forget the auction house blizzard money grab. Blizzard is on a downhill slope.
  38. May 22, 2013
    The good: graphics
    The bad: pretty much everything else. itemization is garbage. always online DRM for a single player game is a joke. Their flimsy excuse that it's to stop botters and cheaters is a farce, as the game is rampant with botters/exploiters/duper. 4 player only? 6 skills at a time? designed with console in mind. no skill tree, no character customization, mostly useless
    skills leading to no build diversity. terrible story which you're forced to repeat forever. A supposed ACTION rpg without much action. cooldowns? seriously? This is what happens when you have WoW designers work on the game instead of the original D2 team.

A lot of features of D2 were left out. (jewels, runes, runewords, cubing, secondary weapons etc etc) It's a massive step back in so many ways, and it's pathetic that they couldn't come up with anything new, and have to save old features for an expansion.

The worst problem of all is that the whole game is designed around the rmah, to generate revenue. It is the single most retarded decision they could have made. Having the rmah itself isn't bad. People would have spent money on the game on 3rd party sites anyway. But designing the game and drops based around rmah destroyed the game and any fun factor it could have had. The drop rates are abysmal, and there is no way to really find your own items. The poor itemization means 99.99% of what you find are garbage. Rarely do you find something that can even be sold for a pittance. Even the few good items are garbage without great rolls. It's a loot based game without loot. As many people have said, it should be called "auction house adventures"

a couple of the patches have improved the game a bit, but don't amount to much more than a facelift. until they fix the core issues the game can only be considered terrible.
  39. May 22, 2013
    when the game came out is was lashed at by the millions who bought it due to being quite literally unplayable, and when it is playable it was barely even recognised as the game us fans loved, the combat and levelling up was streamlined the levels where more linear and builds where focused around items more so, although the RMAH was a bad idea without it the game would be much harder to play but other then the initial problems the game is fun.
    combat is fluid and polished
    killing is fun as ****
    looting is as fun as ever
    if you can get past the initial flaws you will like this game.
  40. May 21, 2013
    Im really confused with all the hate with game is getting. I think most people just don't understand that it's an ARPG and is all about the gear grind. That being said, this game is extremely fun and addicting. The game has also been improved with many patches such as monster power and paragon levels. The art design is also fantastic and the attention to detail really shines. The only thing that bothers me a bit as that the replay ability isn't as good as it could have been, even with paragon levels. Expand
  41. May 19, 2013
    This is I believe the worst video game of all time, because of its failure to live up to its potential. The game is just NOT FUN. All your upgrades must come from the auction house or crafting.. boring!!!!!!!!!! Its a boring money pit.
  42. May 19, 2013
    I wrote a 5000 signs review, but I'm editing it down: The good: -Nice graphics -Fluid gameplay The bad: -The story -The items -New item slots that add nothing to the game but graphics -The character offensive skills all being completely dependend on and fully based on weapon damage -Even spells being completely dependent on weapon damage -The taste in my mouth when a hammer with 500 fire damage makes my cold spells stronger simply because it deals more damage than the wand I had before
    -The lack of ANY actual character development beyond the CoD unlock-on-level model
    -Better items being a nonfunctional replacement for character development
    -The cartoony monster affixes (Arcane Sentry, reflect damage, invulnerable minions)
    -The cheesy NPCs
    -The cartoonish and childish style, dialogue and plot
    -All characters are the one and same with different colors of sparkling on their attacks
    -The auction house made necessary to have any fun what so ever
    -The real money auction house giving botters incentive to bot
    -The odds of finding useful items you need without using the auction house
    -Difficulty solely being the grade of your equipment in any given encounter
    -Bosses never drop anything useful
    -Nephalem valor band-aid on the broken spine that it the game's itemization
    -Paragon levels band-aid on the buried corpse that is character development
    -Maps are all small mazes not large open spaces.
    -Maps are not randomly generated.
    -No functional PVP
    -PVP gameplay being displayed in 2010 but scrapped
    -Areas and mechanics in gameplay videos getting scrapped
    -Diablo II and Lord of Destruction gameplay and mechanics getting scrapped in favor of WoW mechanics
    -Diablo II enemies and lore getting completely scrapped in favor of all new enemies
    -The british skeleton archers. Talking. Skeletons. Talking british. SERIOUSLY?!?!?
    -They were WARNED about all of this in the beta OH SO MANY TIMES but did nothing
  43. May 16, 2013
    I'll never understand the negative comments on this game.. its WAY up there as one of the best PC games every made. Complaints about needing an internet connection are about 20 years out of date. Complaints about repetitive game-play miss the point entirely of what is one of the best examples of an ARPG. Its highly polished, very accomplished and extremely mature. Miss it and you'd be nuts.
  44. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Expand
  45. May 11, 2013
    Potential was wasted, game is currently destroyed by bots, ah/rmah. PvP is a mockery of the players. Randomness map? no such thing exists. Maybe Expansion will repair this destroyed game. Now waiting for PS3 version. Playing is wasting the time its Pay2Win. Only 3 for initial good impression.
  46. May 10, 2013
    I don't think I need to repeat what the whole internet is saying. Some points for the graphics, cinematics and soundtrack. This game took me to the highest highs and the deepest lows (in a very specific segment of my life, of course): most excitement I ever felt about the launch of a game, then gradually but surely descending to the most disappointment I've ever had from a game. Now I just don't care, uninstalled it. Expand
  47. May 8, 2013
    Just the worst game I ever played in the whole world. The story suck as hell really and gameplay sucks like the story. The graphics.... Every thing just suck in this game (I want my money back).
  48. May 8, 2013
    DO NOT BUY, Waste of money.
    YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
    Wish I had listened and not wasted my time and money,
    never purchasing anything from Blizzard again.
  49. May 8, 2013
    Game made around the Auction House.
    Made so player could sell other players items for real money and blizz gets a cut.

Worst thing i played in years. And unfortunately i pre-ordered so there's some money i'll never see again.
  50. May 6, 2013
    Initially, this game was quite fun. Maybe it was the fact that I had waited for 4 years constantly checking the news for any indicators on its release date. Pros: Great graphics. Combat feels good Great character animations Fluid combat Negatives: Terrible endgame Lack of 8 player games you can name create yourself like Diablo 2 had Awful gear and droprates No PVP at release big letdown
    No harassment pvp like Diablo 2 had
    No open world PVP like Diablo 2 had

The number one disappointment for me though was the lack of a Diablo feel. The story was laughable. The villains were just ridiculous and cartoony, in a bad way. The music was overly epic and didn't fit the Diablo feel. A lot of the game felt a bit like World of Warcraft. In fact there were even naga type enemies in Act 2. One of them had a laughably awful line, "YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE AQUEDUCT!" or something along those lines.

Overall, just skip the game if you loved Diablo 1 or 2. If you never played the original Diablo games, this is a pretty average game, but I think everyone expected better from Blizzard.
  51. May 2, 2013
    It wasn't a terrible game. The first play through was actually quite fun. And it had that 'I can't wait to get home so I can keep playing' feeling I loved so much with Diablo II.
    But it did have some serious flaws. I really don't appreciate the have to be online to play feature but I understand it, the real money auction house was a joke, the re-playability was limit and the story was
    kind of sloppy.
    All in all was a good way to kill a week of spare time, but not fantastic.
  52. May 1, 2013
    Although I have found Diablo 3 to be thoroughly enjoyable, I can't deny that I'm somewhat disappointed after such a long wait. Firstly the visuals, despite being pretty, are not really dark enough or befitting of a Diablo title.

I remember playing the first game and being genuinely disturbed by the dank environments, with their low lighting and desaturated sprites. Now it's all too
    polished, clean and bright.

Although it's fun to go back to the old 'point and click/hack and slash' method of yesteryear, one can't help but think that a slightly more intuitive approach to game play could have been implemented.

If you enjoy the Diablo legend, and similar such 'hell on earth' fantasy type affairs, you'll find a definite level of enjoyment here.
  53. Apr 28, 2013
    This review isnt like every other diablo 2 fanboys. this is the truth minus the nostalgia of diablo 2:

first of all, it upsets me that people think they are huge diablo fans and they never even played the first one. the first one had only 3 classes, was harder than diablo 2 and 3 combined and if you died, it was game over, no respawn and no corpse run. diablo 1 was a great game and they
    made diablo 2 easier with improvements that the current generation of games had. thats exactly what blizzard did to diablo 3.

people complain they cant add skill points, well in a lot of multiplayer RPG's today they dont allow that anymore either. people complain about the auction house, but it really adds a feeling of a real community. and the buy to win argument? all i have to say is: buy to win what? this game is primarily a coop game! pvp is now added but its really just for fun. buying something on the auction house DOES NOT break the game.

ive been playing this game since launch and looking back from launch to now, theyve added a lot of content to keep you playing. the game is fun. it has added things that a lot of gamers would expect in a current gen rpg. unfourtanately nostolgia will make many diablo 2 fans cry because all they really want is a remake of diablo 2 with better graphics. so ignore those 0, 1, and 2 reviews.
  54. Apr 27, 2013
    If this was a stand alone game and not a sequel to Diablo 2 it would have got a better score from me. The problem is that it is a sequel to Diablo 2 and I dislike the direction they took in designing this game. On it's surface this might seem like a good sequel but if you dig a little under the surface you find that all the things about Diablo 2 that kept you coming back to play hundreds of hours aren't there.

The loot and gear system is over simplified and annoying. Combine that with the auction house and you get an annoying combination. In Diablo 2 I found my self eager to take down those tough bosses on nightmare and hell mode too see what loot would drop from them. In Diablo 3 I hate fighting bosses as it's a mostly rewardless experience that can be quite costly. After your first play through on normal bosses won't have good loot drops. You get most of your loot from killing randomly spawn champion or unique enemies. This might be okay if the loot I got was worth a damn but it too is flawed. In Diablo 3 you only care about two stats. Your primary stat (intelligence for wizard or strength for barbarian, ect...) which determines how much damage you do and vitality which determines how much health you have. You can focus of the other ones but it's mostly a waste time as the gains aren't worth it. This system makes loot annoying. Here's how my Diablo 3 loot experience usually goes. Go through an act hunting down the champion monsters. Get a rare drop every now and then and the go and identify the drop. At this point a lot of the time the loot doesn't have a good primary stat on it and becomes trash to sell at a vendor. When it does 80%+ of the time it's not your stat and you can at best sell it on the auction house. Even then it's usually still bad as the other stats or damage of the weapon can still be bad. This means that you will have to go to the auction house to get most of your gear in this game and I can't stress enough how unfulfilling it is to get gear that way. In Diablo 2 I felt like I was on a quest to get to the end of the dungeon which probably had epic loot which would spill forth upon slaying the difficult boss at end. In Diablo 3 I feel like I'm working a steady job to make money so I can afford my gear upgrades which I purchase from a store. Figuring out which gear to use isn't even that fun. It boils down to those two stats I mentioned earlier and in the case of a weapon you check it's dps.

The actual click fest murdering monsters as you work your way through the game is good for the genre but that alone is not what makes games in this genre fun in the first place. The skill system and combat are both good but not nearly enough to save this game. The story is good and the cg is top notch for the cut scenes are top notch but it's not enough to save this game. I can't recommend you buy this game if you are looking for a good sequel to Diablo 2. The content I see is good enough for one play through on normal at best. Also as a side note, where is our promised pvp? My bet is that they hid it in the coming expansion which you will have to pay for.

Goods
    Combat is fun
    Graphics are shiny(the game looks nice)
    Cinematics are top notch

Bad
    Loot/Gear systems is broken and not fun
    Auction house It's a break in my gameplay, not fun and makes the game feel like a job
    Missing promised features Where's my pvp?
    Drop system further makes loot not fun Bosses don't drop loot after normal

Conclusion: If you liked Diablo 2 and are looking for more of the same, don't play this game. Titan Quest or Torchlight 2 are much better options for lovers of Diablo 2 than this game.
  55. Apr 26, 2013
    i bought that game on pre-sale, played it about 3/4 weeks and never open ir again. Why? Diablo 3 spotted the Diablo brand. Shame on you Blizzard, i was your fan. Why make the system too simplistic? Diablo 3 spell system is designed for a kid.

The auction system has complete destroyed the entire game. The campaign are so quickly and repetitive.
  56. Apr 25, 2013
    This game does not feel like a Diablo game at all. There's no end game, drop rates are so low, no diversity, no PVP, nothing to play besides farming one act mindlessly, patches progress are just way too slow. It does not feel like Blizzard is putting their resources into this game.
  57. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is a soulless version of what it was supposed to be. This is not Diablo 3, this is a sham. Maybe it was never supposed to happen? Maybe it was dead all along and that is okay, what was given was glorious in its day and it will always have that place in history. Let Diablo die one final time, lay it to rest and say goodbye.
  58. Apr 23, 2013
    It's probably been said in the hundreds of reviews this is not a Diablo game. In fact, if it was not named "Diablo", this would make a great 10 buck arcade game. If that was the case, I would give it a direct 5 star rating. But now I'm grading this game according to the expectations that it set and how it compares to its great predecessor. Lets see the pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Beautiful
    animations and effects
    - Fantastic sound (with the right headphones it is truly a blast)
    - Improved inventory management and storage
    - Auction house makes it easier to trade....you don't need to stay in a "trade" game for hours to sell/buy stuff

Cons:
    - Visuals do not match the Diablo universe it too colorful and childish, nothing like the dark tones in Diablo 1 and 2
    - Being able to change skills on the fly, and no attributes distribution, is interesting but it feels like you don't invest anything in your character (aka very limited personalization). I would rather prefer a skill tree system like in Diablo 2, but with the option to reset your skills for a small cost.
    - Itemization, which was the core of the previous games, is simply WRONG! Finding a really good item, worth keeping or selling is very hard, the legendary items are 95% of the time rubbish, the scaling is ridiculous there is nothing worth keeping for more than few levels, because at level 60 even the blue items are far superior to the level 55 legendaries.
    - Real money auctions make the game P2W (pay to win)
    - The crafting system is bad the randomization of the stats and the high crafting costs, means that you end up spending a lot more money to craft something useful, than by buying it from AH
    - There are no rune words, imbuing, socketing, jewels, horadric crafting, etc.....
    - The story is simple and anti-climatic and characters are dull and annoying. The mercs are totally useless on the high levels
    - Last but not least, the constant online requirement is frustrating...

So if you are wondering whether to buy this or not......if you are not a diablo hardcore fan keep wondering until the price drops to 10 pounds, at the current price it is not worth it. If you are a fan, better wait for Torchlight 2.
  59. Apr 17, 2013
    DEAR BLIZZARD: GET RID OF (your greed) THE AUCTION HOUSE & FIX THE DROP RATES. This game is like one of those claw machines you keep pumping quarters in. Only the quarters are my completely unrewarding hours of gameplay and my initial 60$ f*cking dollars. As if being level 60 isn't enough; you have Neph Valor (5) and a grind system to paragon "100". Blizzard: "Keep getting more magic find, guys! You'll get good drops eventually. In the meantime-- go buy gold from the AH to build yourself a Hellfire Ring." If I wiped out even HALF the amount of mobs that I do in this game in D2, I would have legendary gear for 6 different characters by now. The 'designs' for the blacksmith that drop aren't even a different, distinct color; so I don't even feel remotely rewarded for finding THOSE. Especially when I look at how much it costs to MAKE the damn thing. Oh, and then there's top-tier gems and the hellfire ring. WHERE THE HELL am I going to make enough (in-game) cash to afford ANY of that with the cost of repairs? So what do we do? Turn to your fu*king AH to sell But guess what? Nobody wants to BUY what I've found, because it's bull****. Even the legendary items, (that I find MAYBE once every 15 hours). Blizzard's greed is showing, and it's ruined this beautiful game. This perpetual "carrot on a stick" you feed the public is disgusting. I feel sorry for the developers. Anyone that has spent (real) cash in the AH should feel ashamed of themselves. Expand
  60. Apr 15, 2013
    I will start by saying that I have been a fan of the series and just Blizzard in general for quite some time (2002). I never was able to get my hands on the first installment but played the second all the time at a friends house and was infatuated with it. Needless to say I was quite ecstatic when Diablo III was announced along with the rest the die hard fans and PC gaming community as a whole (I mean come on, it's Diablo, everybody was pumped). Now here is where I will be brief for the sake of being succinct; I do not even begin to the fathom the reason of the negativity. Diablo III is more than a solid game, it is a worthy successor to iterations past and continues Blizzard's legacy of impeccable game design. It is game designed so meticulously and with attention to detail that it warrants nothing less than praise from the sound design, to the visuals, the feel of each class, and most of all the loot system. I don't see how you can a more accessible but still fundamentally deep game that plays as well as Diablo III. Sure, one could argue the story is a little melodramatic and that the DRM thing is a little annoying (especially given the game's shaky launch) and the the auction house detracts from the end game...but here is the thing, this is Blizzard. What do I mean by that? Blizzard is a company committed to it's games and fans they will release patches, the game will get increasingly better. This not only has happened (introduction of the Hellfire Ring, Monster Power, and Paragon) but will continue to happen (PvP, Matchmaking, More End game questing). I think ultimately the community is griping because of server side issues and a system that can be completely ignored (the Auction House). Enjoy the Diablo III for what it is: a damn good and addictive hack and slash role playing game. Expand
  61. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Biggest game disappointment in my life. The most fun I had playing this game was chatting with people while playing, the game is so bad it has more value of a chat room than a game. After 6 hours I wasn't having fun anymore, tried to give it a chance to 12 hours before giving out. The only thing I was impressed with was the seamless exit and retry from the auction house to the game. Too many negatives to list off, so I'll just hit the low points, the games graphics, style and control are archaic they belong in the past 10 years ago so lets start with that. The auction house ruins the joy of finding loot. O yes and the fact I per-ordered my $60 game and couldn't play for the first week. Ok I can't waste anymore of my life on Diablo 3 this review is over!!! Expand
  62. Apr 13, 2013
    Ridiculously terrible and sad game. Biggest disappointment of a decade. The only good thing about this game is nice art in game. The bad is no randomly generated maps, server down time, ping problems, end game is pay to win this list an go on and on. Also, dumbed down game play due to being ported for consoles doesn't do any good to the game either. Even though most people did already I suggest that you do not waste your money on this game. Expand
  63. Apr 11, 2013
    This rating is not based in DRM. Is based in gameplay.... the worst gameplay ever. A point and kill game. I dont know why people can say it has "good graphics". Come on, pixeled characters?, fuzzy grass? shadow trees? Nothing has good resolution or detail or style (and yes, Im playing it in the Highest detail with 3GB in VRAM) Repetitive as hell, you have seen everything in the first 30 minutes. Since then, just point and kill. A Well deserved 0 for this "game". Expand
  64. Apr 9, 2013
    I have to update my review. Months after release and playing more than 200 hours as well as trying out the other Action RPG competitors, I am glad the direction that Diablo went in. Compared to the previous installment, they did streamline the game to not feel so "nuts and bolts." There are some things that this allows and prohibits. The one major downfall is that every character levels up the same. This limits the dynamics of the characters. Once you have a Barbarian or Demon Hunter already created, creating another is superfluous. However, it allows for a focus on skills and skill selection. Also, there are options to test different builds to one you like. Attributes are automatically distributed when you level, so the game becomes a little more results based.

The drop rates are way better than months ago and Inferno difficulty is manageable than there were even 6 months ago.

Multiplayer can be fun and as time went on, there are more options for those that don't participate. Patch 1.08 will enhance the benefits of multiplayer more.

The RMAH was a bad idea and is now recognized as a bad idea by Blizzard. The auction house can be nice sometimes to open up different options. There is a sense of community that I don't see with the competitors with the online DRM, auction house, multiplayer etc. that I like, but most find these to be the greatest detriments to the game or the areas that need the most improvement.

Unlike many games, this game is continually updated and revised. I've put countless hours into this game. It is a wonderful value since it requires no additional costs.
  65. Apr 5, 2013
    A Masterpiece of Art, uplifting Mythology, sound, mystery, etc. I LOVE IT NOW PLAYING INFERNO LEVEL. Will play again and again to better understand the mythology and relationships of the STORY which many gamers don't know how to follow.
  66. Apr 4, 2013
    I waited for over seven years for this after playing Diablo 2, I had so high expectations for this but it didn't live up to it. The level up system and the atmosphere wasn't the same and it lacks replayability and the worst was the launch and the "must have internet connection" problem. But it still manages to be a good game.
  67. Apr 1, 2013
    Don't waste 60 bucks on this game, it is not worth it. Aside from DRM, the auction house and all that jazz the game just sucks. A lot of the story feels disjointed and out of place, as if they had all kinds of content and needed a way to mush it all together.
  68. Apr 1, 2013
    Blizzard's really doing a great job in the game, as well as improving it.
    My friends and I still play this game on a very regular basis, and we'll say it's pretty awesome.
    Kudos to Blizzard.
  69. Mar 31, 2013
    After growing up playing Diablo II, and loving it, there simply aren't words for my disappointment playing Diablo III. Everything that could go wrong, did. Diablo II, although its graphics dated, was gruesome and dark. Diablo III looks like a World of Warcraft graphical clone. The in-game shop and auction house, requirement to be connected to the internet, and just general "feel" of the game left MUCH to be desired. Also, my account was banned for someone in China hacking it for in game gold. Good riddance... Expand
  70. Mar 27, 2013
    The game is just plain boring. There is no skill tree, no stats. All classes uses the same stats dps) from itens. Story line sucks, i mean, Leah, really????
  71. Mar 20, 2013
    A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House. Very predictable storyline with annoying characters as they guide you through Diablo 3. An attempt of shocking ending makes players want to face palm themselves because Blizzard was trying too hard on making a predictable plot twist. DIABLO 3 brought to you by BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. Expand
  72. Mar 20, 2013
    This isnt a game, its a cashcow. Pretty disgusting because Diablo II was great. Go to hell ActiBlizz
    Nasty DRM politic, casualized gameplay, everything else is bad, Im very dissapointed.
  73. Mar 18, 2013
    on 12 yeras them make same game :S how can people accept that? I dont buy "next" diablo beacuse them sell bad games for full price better buy torchlight 2
  74. Mar 16, 2013
    The gameplay, while amusing the first time through, isn't good or varied enough to warrant repeat playthroughs, which definitely hurt a game that is about loot grinding. No randomization, and an absolutely broken launch also brought this one down. Things are smoothed out now server-wise, and they've dragged the game up out of the gutter with the inclusion of a new secondary leveling system, but it's still 'tacked-on' feeling. They still have a way to go before this becomes something that keeps people playing. Expand
  75. Mar 14, 2013
    First of all i would like to state that i have played this game for 1000 hours. I think you should question my score of 1/10 after 1000 hours of play and would say that why did you play it for 1000 hours then? Well let me explain I never used RMAH while most of my friends used RMAH and spent a great deal of money to really enjoy the game i chose the the other way played to save gold and loot good items. Never found a good item with the chance of 1/1000000 of course that gave me the ambition and i played more and nothing good...Damn WTF! Cons: -Always online RDM and if you live in 3rd world you *ucked up -No skill tree, leveling is not that much important if you have the money The game is limited to play with 1, 2, 3, 4 which than clearly being verified that this game is made for console! Very little chance to find an item usefeul which is designed on purpose that you have have to use AH&RMAH Simplfied crippled game mechanics short game play, bad plot Meaningless mindless absurd quests! bad graphics bad music (imo) PVP is a joke in the end game you end up with only 3 short maps of Act3 which is called Alkaizer run.

To sum up if the title is Diablo 3 i will give it 1/10 this game is sacrificed to console industry. And i hate the system of RMAH i will never buy a game consisting pay to win system
  76. Mar 13, 2013
    Dull and repetitive, even the carbon copy storyline fails to give anything new. With each level it's only really the graphics that change. I won't even start on the always on-line requirement. AVOID.
  77. Mar 12, 2013
    So I'm forced to be always online just to play the SINGLE player game? Seriously? No thanks. Don't buy this game, because if you do, you're supporting game companies controlling where and when you play the game that YOU purchased. Don't buy this game.
  78. Mar 12, 2013
    Repetitive, boring, no imagination, terrible dialog, horrible technical issues early on, pay to win ingrained in its DNA. This game was made for another time. AVOID AT ALL COST.
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    This is propably the worst game Blizzard has ever released. It was clearly rushed into release. The game has no end content what so ever. This game is an insult to the previous games on the franchise. There is no world pvp, the actual "pvp" is called brawling now which is a complete joke. Diablo 3 is no longer the Grim world as it should be, now its all colorful. The itemization is horrible, and the game is run by bots controlling the economy. RMAH is also a complete failure. they decided to get rid of skilltrees/stats which really are the essence of the games on the genre. The chatrooms and social side of the game is non-existant Players no longer can make their own games. The story is like from a cheap hollywood movie. Diablo is a girl, cool stuff. You can no longer swap between acts. Party size decreased from 8 to 4. If you think this game is a worthy successor for Diablo 2, I can guarentee you its not, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    This is mostly looking back review, since I've experienced this game from a very launch till few big patches came. Patches did huge deal with D3, reworked difficulties, totally rebalanced characters, lots of items changes,raising two questions: is really long Alpha and Beta was necessary? And how do I played it daylong back in May? So that's amazing how addictive gameplay could be. No Offline (thanks to DRM) made player always suffer every trouble of Blizzard servers or your own connection. Sound and animation is a very positive point of the game, immersive and greatly combined with each other.
    What in summary: There is a thought, that D3 could have good use of an Add-on, like D2 gained its LoD.
  81. Mar 9, 2013
    Let's start with the positive points of the game: it looks great.
    But that's about the only thing it has going for it. I am very disappointed at so many other things, but perhaps my expectations were too high. I'll just name a few examples:
    - The game has been made so dumbed down. Take stats: the primary stats for each class are so important, that stat priority becomes a no-brainer.
    The story is predictable and too linear.
    - Even for a hack and slash style game, D3 is too simple and repetitive
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    For art this gets a 9, for effort a 10, but for fun it gets a 5 and that is what matters. The story pulls you through about 15-20 hours of play then, your done. Thats right. 15-20 hours and then you will get bored. Nice job blizzard you over polished a game with about 20 hours of play.
  83. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to the series/style but a step backwards as far as fans of the series are concerned. Expand
  84. Mar 8, 2013
    Extremely repetitive and more importantly BORING! Good graphics but that is it. They designed the game around an auction house instead of designing it around the player. Check out their website they have finally admitted how bad the auction house has been for the game. If you want to use the auction house all the time might as well get into stocks.
  85. Mar 7, 2013
    What can I say, if this game was to diablo2 what diablo2 was to the first diablo, it would be a perfect 10, but sadly, blizzard doesn't deliver this time.
    Except from the issues at launch, and the always on DRM, the service has been good. Where my main issue lies is with the itemization. Instead of grinding for better gear, you grind for gold so you can buy better gear, and that's nowhere
    near as fun, even though the combat system is one of the best hack n slash experiences ever.

For an expansion, I'd like to see an option to switch off auction house (with the reward being higher dropchances), I'd like an option to disable all the ingame cutscenes (before bosses etc. they get really annoying after your 100th playthrough). And I'd like better itemization, like runewords, chance to drop all kinds of quality gems (albeit a really low chance), and maybe add charms to the game?
  86. Mar 7, 2013
    Played this game a lot at launch, took a break, and recently picked it up again. Around launch time, things revolved too much around the real money auction house. They still do. Even though the developers continue to make changes to itemization, and while setting the monster power level increases XP gain and magic find chance, finding legendary items is still super rare and requires tons of grinding. The auction house is the carrot on a stick tempting you to bypass that grind by paying real money or tons of gold for end game items. End game items are pretty lackluster thanks to the changes in character development. The damage your skills do is now purely based on your weapon DPS which is tied to your character's chief attribute point. So if you're a barb all you'll care about is strength and vitality, a demon hunter or monk dex and vit, wizard int and vit, etc. So when you see a new item, if it doesn't have those bonuses to those attributes, it's essentially useless with a few rare exceptions. You also no longer have control over how to distribute your attribute points narrowing the list of viable builds for each class. Additionally, you unlock skills in order as you level up. "Runes" can be selected for each skill which augment or totally change how it works. Skills can also be swapped out at will once unlocked. This helps maintain some variety in play, but the number of skills are pretty scant compared to Diablo II. PvP was recently implemented, but most people seem to be doing PvE runs for legendaries or unique sets. Very few people are playing compared to Diablo II, a game nearly 15 years old at this point which should tell you something about how long times fans have been receiving it. Unless you're new to action RPGs or have never played a Diablo game, it's hard to recommend Diablo III. Expand
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    Nice, metacritic crashed when trying to submit my review for this. In short online-only was always about the RLAH, game should be LAN, item grinding sucks, bliz pissed on this IP. D2 had two games types, bliz is just lazy. I was let down.
  88. Mar 6, 2013
    TL;DR A quick cash-in on some nostalgia and the genre defining previous game, nothing but a sign of the state Blizzard has slumped to.

If you want an Korean Grindfest MMO with a paid auction house, then you might enjoy this. Welcome to "Grind through the game 3 times on easy until you get to Inferno: The Game". Always Online, dumbed-down classes and gear system, lackluster story,
    gameplay and art design that hits a brick wall after Act 1, ridiculous gear gap between Hell and Inferno that will force you into the AH, Always Online also basically denying you your game if you have internet problems or LOL BLIZZARD SERVERS on your damn SINGLE PLAYER GAME. The fact that Hardcore mode can be influenced by the state of your internet/Blizzard's servers is almost downright sickening. The couple good things I will mention at least are the graphics, art design in Act 1, enemies that do feel like relentless hordes on occasion, animations, and the gear design is alright but definitely borrowed from WoW.

I can't argue though if you enjoy the MMO style grindfest that Diablo has now become. Overall, this was simply an Acti-Blizz cash cow that they had to milk, at the expense of all the hype and fans.
  89. Mar 6, 2013
    Fundamental flaws on the game system. Absolutely zero customization on your character thanks to the primary stats.
    1000 armor 999999 dex item on barbarian? ****
    1000 armor 500 vit item on barbarian? OMG BEST ITEM EVAR.

Oh. And bad connection disconnects you from your own game.
  90. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM blows. Why do I need to be online to play in single player? Numerous balance issues and problems with maintenance making it difficult to even logon play. The graphics are cartoon-like. Game play is mind numbing repetitive. This is not Diablo! The Real Money Auction House... oh come on I just paid for the game. Blizzard really messed this up. Yet another great series ruined.
  91. Mar 5, 2013
    Look! Hidden footprints! Terrible writing, terrible gameplay (my wizard has to run (kiting) all the time, it's a joke), terribly small and repetitive, but worst of all is the DRM scheme. Go Error 37 yourself Blizzard- your reputation is now destroyed- you'll be gone inside of 5 years.
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    I took a break from the game for 5 or 6 months after release. At that point, several features had been added which made the game very enjoyable to play. I've probably spent 500+ hours playing different classes, and the game seems fairly balanced. I like that Blizzard still takes the time to add features, and hopefully a DLC in the pipeline.
  93. Mar 4, 2013
    The best example yet why marketers should not have a voice in Game Design. Company policy is fine with Customers paying for their mistakes. Also, the game is unreasonably expensive.
  94. Mar 3, 2013
    The graphics are outdated. The first thing I did after about 30 seconds in the game was go into my graphics settings I was shocked to find that they were already set at the highest possible level. Sure didn't look like it. I normally don't place too much emphasis on graphics (having just finished Final Fantasy IX for the fourth time last week), but the game has no redeeming qualities to save it. The voice acting is over-the-top and detracts from the already poor and non-engaging story the immersion of D2 is replaced by arcade-style flashy emptiness in D3. I returned to this game after I was initially disgusted six months ago the changes aren't noticeable, except for creeping inflation in the Auction House. The game is always online, meaning people with low-quality internet will suffer gamebreaking lag and frequent disconnects, each one erasing up to 10 minutes of progress. Since you can change your skills and abilities at any time with no cost or repercussions, you don't really feel like you're building a character, and since the story is so poor, fast-paced and uninteresting, you don't feel like you're making a difference or that the game world has history and meaning besides being a playground for you your sole purpose, then, is basically to accumulate gear. Don't even get me started on Blizzard's monetization strategy with their Real Money Auction House. About the only good things I can say about this game is that the interfaces and art style are unified, sleek, and polished, and that the game feels very "smooth" (when you're not downloading or otherwise suffering low internet speeds). Blizzard over-hyped, under-delivered, shamelessly monetized, and generally let everyone down. This is unforgivable. I will never again buy a Blizzard title just because it is a Blizzard title I'll do my due diligence and read reviews, watch gameplay videos, etc. The fact that all the mainstream websites and gaming mags liked it just signals corruption, buyoffs, and shady dealings in the industry. Expand
  95. ika
    Mar 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poor storyline. Some quests are very similar to ones from D1. The whole game is built around the gear for the character and auction house. I was bored after an hour of playing. Not recommended. Expand
  96. Mar 2, 2013
    The visuals are excellent but they can't carry the game. It really should have been held for another year, the lack of content is inexcusable in a rogue-like game. The story falls apart in act 4, the narrative is disjointed, characters poorly constructed, controls and combat overly simplistic, and progression is painfully uneven. Loot drops are excessively random even in full parties with very high MF and max valor stacks. The amount of grinding to progress the story is excessive. Which leads to the assumption that loot tables were adjusted to encourage the use of the real money auction house. Either it's poor game design or something nefarious the effect is the same. The story is too short and poorly explained. Acts 2 and 3 deserved far more exposition than they received and all act 4 needed was Fonzie on a surfboard. The game needed more story content, having a more robust story or better gameplay would have carried it through. Gameplay is too simple and the skills are.....lacking. Reducing a character to 6 skills and the interaction of the skills with enemies and the environments is very limiting. With the new way that health functioned there was great promise for complex combos and action elements that could have evolved the game. Instead they served to make it derivative almost like a flash game with Diablo branding. The ultimate problem with D3 is not it's always on connection nor it's changes to health or even the RMAH that it's design cues come from micro-transaction games. These are games of last resort disposable and only played when we don't have a computer, Game Boy, Vita, console, computer or emulator handy. Diablo 3 teaches us that play medium is important if D3 had debuted on a tablet would have been a fine game and the design changes would have made sense in the context of the devices limitations. Instead it left me with a short hollow and disappointing experience, Diablo 3 has the distinction of being only the second game I have ever regretted purchasing. If you are a fan of Diablo, if you are a fan of Dark Fantasy, if you are a fan of games don't buy Diablo 3. Expand
  97. Mar 1, 2013
    Diablo is a girl and Cain gets killed by a Power Rangers villain who uses butterfly magic. Boring items based around the same 3 stats. No build diversity at all. Auction house sucking the life out of the game as predicted. Terrible voice acting and dumb quests that you can't skip. Can't skip between acts. Only one act is viable for farming. Why would you even farm at all you into S&M or something? Even the games lead dev and head CM know the game is bad. They quit rather than try to fix it! LOL If you like torturing yourself and get off on watching the Diablo franchise fall dead at the feet of the corporations then buy this game. Expand
  98. Feb 27, 2013
    One of the best auction house simulators currently available.
    Though the whole thing is tied to a game, so only 4/10, without the game this simulator would have gotten 10/10 from me.
    The games outdated graphics, idiot-proof gameplay and no depth at all combined with a very very bad and short story sadly drag the simulation down.
    I wish that there was an auction-house-simulator as good
    as this without an unnecesary game atached to it. Expand
  99. Feb 27, 2013
    Changed my mind. I was one of the suckers defending this game, and the game itself is not so bad, except for one thing. Through "coincidence" I happened to stop the slider for one of their videos at around 10-13 seconds, and saw some guys sticking out their tongues at the camera and giving devil horns. Then a group of people standing behind the camera with trophies in their hands like laughing and glaring at the camera. If these guys want to play like this then they can go "screw" themselves. I hope these guys choke on their success. I'm boycotting their products, until this issue gets solved. The last thing we need is a group of bullies and jerks disrespecting their fans. Bye Blizzard. Have a nice fall. "Pricks." I would personally like to punch each one of these guys in the face now. Expand
  100. Feb 27, 2013
    Serious review, from a fanboy and from a regular person going back to it. I had waited forever for this game, and I loved it so much on the first play-through. The second play-through holes started to form in the story, game play got boring and repetitive. All of a sudden you had to use certain spells from the large list if you wanted to get anywhere, and the grind (especially in acts 3-4) made me want to bash my head against the keyboard.

The graphics are fantastic though if you can work past the garbage. Overall this game was highly disappointing, and after this I will never buy another Diablo.
  101. Feb 19, 2013
    Biggest disappointment in PC gaming world. Blizzard took the near-masterpiece of Diablo 2 and dumbed it down for the WoW generation that needs instant gratification in everything. The story is god awful, worse than the trash Hollywood puts out every day. The items system is terrible everyone wants the same main stat/ vit crit crit dmg on every item and there is no choice. The actual amount of content is ABYSMALLY small (about 6-8 hours of gameplay) which is then replayed over and over in higher difficulties. Most classes run the same 2-3 builds because everything else sucks. Maps have almost 0 randomization, putting a huge dent in the replayability value that Diablo 2 and any good ARPG is known for. Game STILL doesn't have a full PvP system as of this writing, outside of gimmicky "brawling". Blizzard tried to dumb the game down and make money, but the players showed them that Diablo 3 is nothing but a polished turd, even after all of the patches to improve the game. For fans of good ARPGs like Diablo 2 I would highly recommend Path of Exile it reminds me of playing Diablo 2 for the first time. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012