3.9

1. Dec 6, 2012
    I really wish I hadn't even given blizzard anymore of my money. That dark feel from Diablo 1 & 2 is completely gone and this installment is annoyingly colorful and vibrant as if it isnt about a fictional Armageddon. There are no longer meaningful skill choices, you can change anytime. The story is an absolute joke. I really miss the dark atmosphere of diablo 2. Gone are the days of walking in jungles surrounded by cauldrons of cooked people or claustraphobic tombs with frightening waves of undead. This installment has colorful massive underground caverns with a plethora of Dr. Seuss monsters. And I think its been said enough how stupid the always having to be online thing is. In short, its a shadow of what the series used to be and I after starcraft 2 and this, I will not give blizzard any more of my money. They are a shadow of what they used to be and deserve to fall apart for **** products like this. Expand
  2. Dec 5, 2012
    This game had a lot riding on it's back and unsurprisingly did not deliver. Contrary to what Jay thefatazz Wilsson thinks, iteration is not always key to making a good game. YOU FAT FUKK
  3. Dec 5, 2012
    It is a shame to dislike something which was created with so much effort, but what can i do? D3 tries so hard to be epic, fun, addictive and serve an audience of new and old fans. But it just fails on everything it attempts - just like a drunken person! It is simply not fun to click through enemies and check the loot later. Simply put: the urge to hack and slash a little bit more is not there. Even the gore is inadequate and unsatisfying. Oh, about the storyline! Awful! Just horrible. Worst script ever. It is actually so bad that it does not even count as funny. It is a shame they wasted so much effort on cinematics with story this bad. If the player has to ask herself "why I am doing this?", something is seriously wrong. Perhaps it is a matter or taste, but I had so much more fun with Dragon Age 2. Expand
  4. Dec 5, 2012
    Y así es como una gran saga se va a la mierda. Buen trabajo blizzard, lástima por que tu desconfianza y ambición te gano, y aún ignorar a sus clientes y quererl es tomar el pelo
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    This game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is no good reason why the player should experience lag while playing solo, it should be played offline. - loot drops are horrible, it is hard to progress with the random gear that drops for you. I think Blizzard did this on purpose to make it hard to progress without using the Real Money Auction House which they make a cut of profit from. - Blizzard monitors everything everyone is doing all the time like Big Brother and often decides to nerf your class or alter the game when people find ways to increase their odds of finding good gear. Once again I think this is to try to force you into using the real money action house. - ironically, the auction house UI is horrible. It is extremely difficult to find out what the average selling price is for a piece of gear you have. People who are used to the excellent WoW AH will find this very frustrating to use. - the crafting system is too random, you can in theory use blacksmithing to help you make gear while you are progressing, but due to the randomness you are unlikely to get the gear you need - the game is very repetitive. You do the exact same story on each of the 5 character classes and there are four levels and each level you do the entire story again, so your gameplay will consist of doing the same story 20X if you level 5 classes to the end. Gets boring after a while. To be fair the maps have random elements (caves/dungeons) and mobs in them that don't spawn every time but it is still very similar each time. - my last complain is a minor one, but there is no way to really see what the gear looks like on your character without leaving the game and looking at the character in the hero screen. In other games like WoW I like to check out what a new piece of gear looks like on my character. The Diablo 3 gear looks really good, but it is a shame you can't easily zoom in on your character to see the great artwork the games artists did when you equip a new piece of gear. There is a minor zoom function but it still views your character too small to really see. They should just copy the WoW character screen where you can zoom in and rotate your character from withing your inventory, maybe an optional tab you can open up. All my major complaints are related to the always online requirement. I'd happily opt out of ever being able to use the auction houses if it meant I could play solo offline, I only used the AH once because I hate the AH UI anyway. I dread to think of ever making a hard-mode character (where if you die you die for good) with all the lag spikes, I'm certain lag would probably kill me before a monster did which would not be fair.

Pros:

+ you character looks awesome!
    + looting, killing and combat sound effects sound awesome!
    + loot name text has no boxes behind the text so you can easily see baddies behind it that you are fighting
    + voice acting is decent, all info given through voice acting
    + good story telling (albeit lame story)
    + cut scenes are good, they are artistic and stylized
    + this game has an intentional retro feel, but does not feel dated
    + classes (5 choices) are diverse and interesting, each class has its own unique gameplay feel

Cons:

- $60US (over-priced should be $30-$40)
    - single player requires Internet connection, server-lag, rubber-banding and server DCs occur frequently
    - loot is boring, rares/legendaries are often worse than common items and often useless to any class, upgrades drop 0.001% of the time (ie: almost never, this game is a boring, tedious gear-grind)
    - all characters of the same class look identical
    - no mods allowed
    - Blizzard treats this like its an MMORPG in closed-beta: BS nerfs and changes often from Blizzard, forced to play how they want you to play instead of how you want to play. Game is unbalanced, you're 1-shotting everything one hour, next hour everything is 1-shotting you. Elites are harder than bosses, final boss Diablo is easiest boss (wtf?), etc.
    - questing is very linear, do the same story 4X on a single character, repeat for all five classes
    - zoom feature really sucks, you have the choice between looking at your toon normal (extremely small) or zoomed-in (very small), no custom zoom, no way to see your gear close up without logging out of the game to the hero screen
    - forced to start your character at easymode and repeat entire game each time to reach next difficutly

Neutral:

. stats are automatically assigned by the game when you level according to your class
    . chosen skills can be switched at anytime (with a short cooldown)
  6. Dec 3, 2012
    Good: some aspects of the game have been drastically improved over d2, such as skill runes and % scalability with your gear, which means that you can literally use the skills you obtained in lvl 10 and still be viable end game. Bad: this is no ACTION rpg, blizzard lifted the awkward target system straight off WOW and slapped it underneath the skin of D2. what this means is that a lot of the time you will get hit by an attack even though you were no where near the projectile/hit animation. The biggest problem is that after you hit lvl 60 the game turns into one giant slot machine, with each monster kill that may or may not yield something worth selling, and reaching lvl 60 can be done in a day or two, so literally in a day or two after getting this game you will run out of content. That's absolutely ridiculous, I have played indie games that cost $5 and lasted longer than that Expand
  7. Dec 3, 2012
    I was excited for this. That wore off after the second level. Incredibly boring grindfest with a terrible story. One of those games where you hope all the characters will die just so you don't have to play anymore. Can't believe I blew $60 on this.
  8. Dec 3, 2012
    regardless of my last review due to the error you know what, this is my evaluation of the 'working' title. Overall the game hasn't deviated that much from diablo 2, it still possess the same gameplay many enjoyed back in the previous titles save for a few things like health orbs appearing to save your ass. Although in terms of innovation it's not groundbreaking by any means. Things that takes away from the game is the always online drm which made it feel more like an mmorpg, even during single player, ultimately it felt it deliberately built around the auction house, I could see how many are upset over this. Still overall this is a great title. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2012
    Let's cover why Diablo 3 is the biggest disappointment in recent gaming history, and why it can't be fixed as long as the game revolves around the auction house.

Playing video games is meant to be a rewarding process - you play the game, it rewards you. In Diablo's case, rewards are in the form of better loot, better stats/abilities and (to a lesser extent) advancing the story.

First, the character leveling and abilities. While the abilities in the game are mostly useful and fun, the game takes away most of the character customisation from you by leveling up your character stats automatically for you. The only real choice you get is to swap between abilities. It's almost as if they game gives you a present, but then has someone else open it for you. Leveling up is also meant to bring with it better loot drops, but we'll get to that.

Next, there's the story. Put it this way - you don't replay this game for the story. Plus the difficuly of the game - What is it with games these days being so easy unless you crank the difficulty all the way up? And why can't I up the difficulty from the start of this game? Diablo is so easy on the Normal setting and even on Nightmare it is embarassing, meaning players who play it for the story get through it once easily, and don't feel the need to play it again.

Lastly, and most importantly, the loot, because at its core, Diablo is a loot game. Nothing beats the feeling of finding an awesome loot upgrade. The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that its loot system has been quite obviously designed entirely around the online auction house economy, and this most important game reward system is severely compromised as a result. Playing previous Diablo games was addictive, because of the constant drip feeding of slightly better loot. The problem with Diablo 3 is that Blizzard wants you to use the online auction house, and wants it to have a healthy economy with reasonable prices for gold and loot. They want good gear to be worth shelling out for. They want premium loot to command a premium price. The problem is when you are dealing with real money, you immediately lure 'bots and professional players to spend thousands of hours farming gold and loot to sell. This necessitates good loot drops to be ridiculously rare, because if loot drops weren't tuned for these players, the auction house would be flooded with cheap quality gear. If the game gave typical players good loot drops, there's no need to use the auction house, and items in the auction house would be worthless. Further, to protect their online real money economy (and handily to also act as DRM), this necessitated the horrible requirement of the game being online only, with a thin game client connecting to Blizzard's servers to proof it against hackers. No internet, or servers offline? Sorry, no game. No offline play forces all players into their new in-game economy. Because face it, if you were allowed offline play, the save files would be offline too, and that opens up the game to inventory editors, which would take money and value away from items in the auction house. To further increase the demand for good gear, they have made the game so difficult on the hardest level that you are fully dependent on having quality gear just to survive, and with good loot drops being so rare, you almost have to resort to pay to win. And repair costs for your gear are also high, meaning if you die a lot, you quickly run out of gold trying to repair the gear you have. Even if you're fine with paying to win, typical casual players have next to no chance of being rewarded for playing the game by having that rush of euphoria that comes with good gear drops that keeps you coming back to the game. So unfortunately the loot reward aspect of the game has been compromised severely.

To add to the disappointment is the level design, which degrades as you play through the game. It's obvious that care was lavished on Act 1, but by the end of the game, that same quality isn't there. The game's signature random levels aren't random enough, not making the game feel unique enough on repeated play throughs. Plus making a mockery of Blizzard's "when it's done" release approach, Diablo 3 is still most definitely not 'done', with the promised PVP feature still missing from the game.

So there you have it. A once-great franchise, compromised by Blizzard Activision's attempt to create another ongoing revenue stream. If this game didn't bear the Diablo name, nobody would have bothered with this game and put up with the awful loot drops and always on DRM. It's unfortunate that Diablo 3 is so unrewarding to play, because there is still a slick hack-n-slash engine in there. I wonder if 10 years after the release of this game, you'll even still be able to play it if Blizzard deem it too expensive to keep the online servers going. Blizzard should have identified these fundamental game issues. This game is too expensive at any price.
  10. Dec 2, 2012
    Beautiful graphics, nice first impression. Very careless changes and maintenance by Blizzard turn the game into a constant source of frustration.
    Every week, your long hours boosting a character, turn to waste due to 'engine balance'.
    Then you spend hours of farming getting awesome items just to login in and see they halved the power of your equipped items.

The only way to like this
    game is start playing it now; or stop playing after finishing it on easy mode.
    If you, like me, started playing on the release date, that's not possible anymore.
  11. Dec 2, 2012
    For a game that spent so long in development, There is no excuse for Blizzard releasing the game that we got. This game is a slap in the face to any fan of the previous releases. The game-play is completely boring and repetitive, the voice work is very annoying, the art style while not bad, doesn't fit a Diablo game (It is really more suited for WOW) and the story is so thin you can see through it. This whole game feels phoned-in, like there was no heart behind it. Expand
  12. Dec 2, 2012
    Game is getting better with every patch and it is good if you just expected what is is: jump in, kill some stuff and relax. Good enough for me but I would expect something more from Blizzard.
  13. Dui
    Dec 2, 2012
    I will be as straight as I can possibly be. Either you are a Diablo fan who played the previous games and now you are deeply frightened of what has became with our deeply loved franchise, or on the other hand you are an youngling who doesnt know a thing and is pretty happy with the DIII. If the first case is true for you, get Path of Exile and try to forget this has been ever released.
  14. Dec 2, 2012
    this game is very shti

Purchased, unable to log in even once in 12 hours. This would be counted as fraud in any other industry but for some reason on this game I intend to play single player it's 'to be expected', just terrible. http://bbs.3dmgame.com/thread-3579935-1-1.html

15. Nov 30, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a profoundly disappointing game. It does at least provide an experience that capitalizes on the success and addictive game play of Diablo 2, but therein lies the problem. Nothing about this game is innovative. Everything feels like a cheap attempt to cash in on previous glory. The gameplay of Diablo 3 doesn't offer anything that we haven't already seen in previous Blizzard titles. It's the same tired old formulas repeated ad naseum. Every system is familiar and every plot point is painfully predictable.

Thankfully there is at least some entertainment to be had in playing through the game with friends. The multi-player coop IS easy to use makes grouping with friends a simple and enjoyable experience. Unfortunately this doesn't help you shake the feeling that everything you see already happened eight years ago. No meaningful new experiences are presented to the player. The graphics are new, the social experiences are novel, and the Auction House is a phenomenon bordering on the surreal, but at it's core Diablo 3 is a game we've already played.

Save your time, save your money. Dig out those Diablo 2 CD's, set up a LAN game with your friends (one that's still allowed) and have just as much without blowing $60 on a product you already own.
  16. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is THE most disastrous game ever created in the 21st Century. Diablo 3 in a few words is a mind-numbing, boring, repetitive grind to level 60. The levels are very poorly designed; with many recurring invariant levels, and the most atrocious act being the direct copy of the Mount Arreat's theme pixel for pixel from the previous expansion. It's a mixed feeling, especially coming from Blizzard, it's as though the production theme picked up full speed during the designing of Act I, after which it just derails very rapidly to a repeated Act 3, and Act 4 being a huge mindless rush to the final boss. The replayability value of the game is very low, with people getting bored with the grind to even complete it the first time round, especially the abysmally difficult progression between difficulty levels, without, of course, resulting to the auction house. There are 2 sides of the coin here, as people spending money or gold for obscenely powerful items would be rapidly bored with its content. In a sense, the whole central theme of the dungeon-crawl feel of the original diablo series is now destroyed with this new effect, and if I may use an analogy, some crude form of a corporate ladder climb that is accentuated if one has the monetary resources to execute it. It is such a horrible game that I feel compelled to actually create a metacritic account for the sole purpose of typing this review in order to warn people off the most ridiculously over-hyped game probably in the history of the universe (13.7 billion years). The game is designed to ridiculously long, with one typically dying over 9000 times before reaching Diablo himself on inferno difficulty, and along with the repetitive content and the drop rates which are probably lower than the odds of drawing a royal-flush hand in Texas Hold-em. I have not checked yet but I'm probably filing a complaint to the UN human rights watch as this actually constitutes some rudimentary form of human mental torture that is probably on par with the detainees in Guantanamo Bay.

SPOILERS: Deckard cain turns into diablo. and pink fluffy bunnies pop out from tristram. and the villagers are stuck on gangnam style...
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    It would be a good game, if the RM-AH will be removed. The RM-AH destroyed the whole game, because you can buy everything you want from there, also when you have no gold. And it´s also a totally gear based game. If you have no gear, you have no chance. This game was definitely designed like a free-to-play-game,
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    Not nearly as bad as people describe it, I consider this a pretty good game although I'm not much of a fan of ARPG genre. For the best gaming experience I recommend not using the auction house feature as you really don't need the stuff to progress as some people say. The only reason I'm not giving it a ten is the story which really isn't something special, but on the other hand, there are in-game books which fill out some of the lore gaps. If you like to progress and don't mind trying out something new ( not just some kind of diablo 2.5) nor playing the same content again, you should enjoy playing this game. Expand
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    With the last patches Diablo III is now a better game. Still far from old Diablo but at least you can avoid RMAH... Good Atmosphere (except some wird manganized boss, like the butcher, and other minor things), very good weapons impact feedback, a little too short, especially in the end.
  20. Nov 27, 2012
    The first play-through of the "story" is not bad. The game definitely has a lot of the character of its predecessors and there's a lot of nostalgia surrounding it as a result. However, once the first play-through is done and you try to move further up the difficulty levels, it simply turns into a repetitious mess focused on one thing: forcing you to play through the same crap over...and over...and over. The items that you legitimately find are terrible, usually 10-15 levels below your character and as such, completely useless. It's not even worth thinking about trying to rely on your own gear drops for your gear because the drop rates are horrendous. Far superior items can be found on the auction house for the amount of gold dropped by running through a small dungeon for the 1000th time. The story is just barely present during the progression through the game, but after the first play-through you don't even care, just click-click-click through everything as fast as possible to get through the painfully repetitive gameplay. Expand
  21. Nov 26, 2012
    I won't give Diablo III a 0/10. It did have smooth combat, unfortunately that's it. I won't complain that the story sucked, we all expected that as it's far from the point of a game series which was made famous as a hack and slash dungeon crawler. Everything we DO expect from Diablo has been taken out. Skill, Attributes, world PVP, not being able to just buy your way through everything with real cash. Rather than tailoring to the audience Blizzard took a "you'll enjoy what we allow you to enjoy" approach. We were forced online even for single player which wouldn't, alone, be the absolute death of the game if the server functioned half as well as the decade old Diablo II servers. Rather than customizable character builds we were forced into pre-designed characters on which the biggest difference was whether or not when you leaped you did AOE damage on falling or if it had a shorter cooldown. To replace the customizable character builds we got an overly intricate item system in which even the top tier items have stats that vary so much that no one knows where the cap's are; the item system, rather than promoting farming and gearing new characters instead just causes people to give up and shell out more real life cash to get even decent gear. In other words the entire game is tailored so that in order to reach any sort of endgame gearing level or pvp-ready level, the only two options are hundreds of hours of mindless grinding for items which, once they drop, may not even have any usable stats, or giving up hope and giving blizzard more money. That's it. The entire depth of this game can be summed up as, "try to get them hooked with smooth combat and flashy cinematics, force them to pay us more if they want their characters to be even slightly different from anyone else". Sorry for the length, and I try to be as objective as possible, but the fact of the matter is they had a system that worked and, when they saw a window for more cash, they let greed ruin it. Expand
  22. Nov 26, 2012
    Don't waste your time, get Torchlight 2 or Guild Wars 2. Diablo has been gone since D2. The current team is garbage and so is the game. It's really a shame what has been done to this franchise. I remember being a teen playing the original Diablo, those were the days. D3 has NONE of the depth of D2!
  23. Nov 26, 2012
    For 60 $ Its not worth it one bit.....get Torchlight 2 for the fraction of the price. I expected way more from blizzard....it had so much potential and the hype was high, i just wonder what happened......
  24. Nov 26, 2012
    I was extremely disappointed. This is a soul-less Diablo clone. Items are impotent. Characters dull. Story uneventful. There is nothing trippy or even remotely enjoyable. Jay Wilson should be fired and D3 should be totally redone in the expansion, this is an absolute joke of a successor to probably the best game ever made, D2. Dave Brevik, we miss ya buddy.
  25. Nov 26, 2012
    Lab rats in a labyrinth in search of cheese.

But wait... You can also sell cheese to another rats for real money! A whole new level of inhuman experiments.
  26. Nov 26, 2012
    The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that it shows that Blizzard now treat their paying customers with contempt, nothing but cattle to milk dry, and it's an attitude built into the games. The Real Money Auction House and Always On DRM mean that now Blizzard can push an update at any moment and you get it whether you want it or not. So if Blizzard want to improve their end of financial year statement, they can push a patch to increase difficulty to encourage in game purchases. Blizzard must have thought the many years they had statisticians monitoring and balancing the economy of Diablo 2 was knowledge they could "monetize". Diablo 3 is setup around the premise of an economy that Blizzard control completely and can fiddle the numbers to maximise profit.
    So it's no surprise then that the game sucks. The idea of "builds" that made Diablo 2 so much fun has effectively been removed by the "casualisation" of the game at the earlier difficulty levels to increase the customer base. It's now impossible to ruin your character. The game is now about finding (or paying real) money instead of finding items. The plot is also horrible.
    Avoid at all cost.
  27. Nov 23, 2012
    Graphics were reasonably good. but the storyline and overall gameplay was dull and boring, with not a huge amount of replay value. I felt everything I did was repeated over and over again.
  28. Nov 23, 2012
    Bibotan read ! stupid **** !!!! BIBORAN !!

Unfortunately a disaster. Repetitive and nothing that we haven't seen in other hack and slash games. Good visuals but nothing more. Insípid story/background and too little classes. I think that this is a good moment to Blizzard rethink their future plans about Diablo.
  29. Nov 22, 2012
    Don't mind the game, the graphics or anything else. BUT the support is THE WORST!! Your account gets locked for no understandable reason, then you password email never shows up! I logged into this site, registered, got a new account AND verified my metacritic email...all before ever getting my Diablo confirmation email!!! Ridiculous...not to mention support doesnt come in until 10am, and is PST!!!
  30. Nov 21, 2012
    For a game that has been postponed for 10 years Diablo 3 left much to be desired. From a short campaign to the online. Act I - II were decent lengths whilst, Act III and IV seemed to be rushed and left more to be desired. The amount of hot fixing that has been made to the game shouldn't have if Blizzard would have originally listened to the community. The legendary drops were mediocre compared to that of rares. Diablo 3 becomes a grinding mess after finishing Hell mode. It seems it was set up to prevent the player from advancing through inferno mode keeping them to do endless runs trying to obtain decent gear. Many players found ways to make this easier and Blizzard either changed or nerfed their methods. It also seems classes were and possible are not balanced. While a hunter could take out enemies in inferno mode with one or two hits, another player using any other class could have much more difficulty on doing so. It made the player base just run around with DH characters instead of actually offering variety. No PvP upon release is another reason why this game has failed and the overpowered DH must be the reason why. The combat system is basic and not as complex as the other Diablos and falls far behind them. The only plus to this game is the RMAH and AH where players can sell items for real money or player money. I have to say after playing Diablo for 3 months I left the game and never looking back. It can continue be the failure mess Blizzard made it to be. Expand
  31. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is terrible and nothing like the previous games. If you like auction house simulators, then this game is for you. I had absolutely no fun playing this game at all.
  32. Nov 20, 2012
    With all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception of maybe Rankoth the second the last boss, there is isnt alot of strategy or versatility to your character, granted I only played as a demon hunter, but I found myself using the same moves over and over. Secondly the item drops are horrible with no legendary items and I just didnt feel like questing a lot in this game because there was no real good rewards as you went on. I slogged through this for about 80 hours and defeated it on Nightmare mode and then moved onto other games. Expand
  33. Nov 20, 2012
    It's really hard to fault Diablo III as 90% of the game has stayed true to the exact same formula used in Diablo and Diablo II. While playing the game through the first time was a blast it remains to be seen if the game will have the longevity that made its predecessors legendary.
  34. Nov 20, 2012
    The only and the best online-ARPG now. There is a huge amount of hate from gamers, but game is still the best hack'n'slash. Major flaw is lack of music (putting music from D2 for example give it great feeling). But aside of external music player is needed the game is great. Yes, it has high price. Yes, it requires an internet connection. Yes, it lacks storyline and music. Yes, normal mode is boring...
    But... What is the reason that almost everyone who played it on nightmare mode continues to play it more and more (like hundred of hours or more)??? The answer is: D3 is still great game. simple.
  35. Nov 19, 2012
    Face it. You bought Diablo 3 expecting a hack and slash. It's repetitive. That's what Diablo 2 and the first one was. Just killing endless mobs to advance through the level. But there was ONE THING that shone through the first two games: the loot. Back in Diablo II, you could expect a set piece or two with some decent loot when you went through your Meph runs, later to be Baal runs. Diablo III has ruined the loot system. You can spend hours before you find an upgrade. Most of your upgrades will likely be from the Auction House. I have no problems with the rune skill system compared to the skill tree in Diablo II, it usually boiled down to one most efficient build anyway. But the class balance is terrible. I'm played a wizard for my main character, always overshadowed by barbarians, but in all honesty the class that needs some love is the monk. As of 1.0.5., the current stance of Blizzard is "We feel monks are currently fine as they are". 1.0.5. also saw the better loot drops by capping Inferno's item levels at 58, but you will still run through hours without finding anything sellable. The game isn't dead, it probably still has more players than Torchlight II, the supposed Diablo killer that now only has 5-7k concurrently, but the player numbers are EXTREMELY low for a Diablo game. In summary: Loot is TERRIBLE compared to the last two Diablos and class system needs a lot of work. I doubt we'll see that soon with the current Cheng Wilson combo as leads. Expand
  36. Nov 17, 2012
    Diablo III doesn't even deserve a review, it just doesn't. It's quite bad after your first playthrough.

Not only is the lead designer (Jay Wilson) a total douche who should get his nutsack torn off by chainsaw-wielding killer sharks, but his "masterpiece" (as he calls it) single handedly destroyed the Diablo series (and this is coming from a fan of D1. I'm not even a hardcore fan
    either). All I can really say is that it was created as a cash cow because of the Real Money Auction House. Why do I claim this? There's no other reason they would completely obliterate a specialization of playstyle every single patch, expecting players to buy a whole new set of gear. The Increased Attack Speed nerf as well as multiple nerfs to special Wizard builds are a testament of this. Rather than making the speccs still playable, they nerfed them to the ground completely. Why? MONEY MONEY MONEY!

I could go on an on about how the game itself actually sucks, but I think the 4.7k+ negative reviews would tell you this. While I'll admit at least 2k or so are from nerd-raging, hardcore, D2 fans, many of them are new players of Diablo, and they too will admit this game is garbage. I feel ripped off and I got this game for FREE.
  37. Nov 16, 2012
    I waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I really can't get over the feeling of a 3D platform game, it really feels that linear to me. It doesn't feel like I'm in this desolate world where I can go and explore and just murder hordes of creeps. Cinematics are some of the best I have ever seen, the story is good, but the re-playability is poor. DRM is a bad idea but understandable with real money in the mix, although I never used the RMAH an option to not use it and play offline would have been acceptable Expand
  38. Nov 15, 2012
    A solid third installment of the franchise with the gameplay still enjoyable. However the major changes made by Blizzard to character development and the way you grind weapons (also introducing Auction House) stink of greedy business ideas and just trying to make as much $$$ off of a brand without actually making a great game.
  39. Nov 15, 2012
    Well inplementing a Paragon System or a Monster Power System doesnt cure the Games horrendous, unfair and unsatisfying Design. Online Requirement... Well what if im on a Vacation and i wanna Farm some Gold or items and i have the needs and the DVD and the ALLREADY Online activated Game with me to play, why cant i do so ? I PAID FOR IT! Am i simply not allowed to play it ? Seriously, this should count as a Crime, badly, it doesnt! Expand
  40. Nov 14, 2012
    This game deserves an 7 out of 10, and anyone who says less is a biased idiot. I never played Diablo much after beating it once, but I easily have over 1000 hours in D2 over the past decade I've played this game.
    Even from the first patch, this game deserved an 7/10, and I believe the game will only get better over time.
    Many people poured 100's of hours into this game, yet still claim
    it deserves a 0/10. This does not make sense. I ask, how many games in your life have you put 300+ hours in, and of those games, how many of those games could you say sucked? If you answered anything greater than 0, congratulations, you are an idiot. You could have stopped at any time.
    Diablo 3 is a well polished game that had many balance issues.

Most gamers complained D3 was too hard at release. The game was actually made too easy. I exclusively played Hardcore and did not have any troubles through Inferno. When I hit A1 inferno, I then made a SC char and was able to make it to A3 Inferno in a week before hitting a wall (first patch, after obviously glitches were taken care of). The developers intended to make Inferno hard, and everything "worked as intended," although that's not what the average gamer wanted. It was supposed to take a month for the first person to to clear Inferno, instead it took like a week. Blizzard has since fixed this to make Inferno a cake walk, even at higher Monster Levels.

The game is dumbed down. There is little character customization, even in the equipment. As we all know, you stack Vit, All Res, Crit, and Primary stat. This "formulization," where there is always an ideal way to max your DPS or survivability is well known, and another poor quality of the game. However, this was primarily an end-game issue when your gear is set so you can conquer Inferno at higher ML. During the initial playthrough, there is tons of (cheap) gear you can use to hack through the monsters, and there were new skills to try out instead of a specific build. RMAH is broken. This is probably the most damning thing of the game. RMAH opens up Blizzard for lawsuits, encourages chinese gold farming and "Pay to win" mentality. It also hinders Blizzard from making great updates (How will an (idiot) player feel who spent $1000's to get gear which becomes obsolete?). Trading should have worked without RMAH.

TLDR: The game gave 100's of hours of fun before getting old, and predictable with a crap endgame. It is also dumbed down. Blizzard has and will put out patches that improve the game dramatically, and you will find yourself coming back to this game in years to come.
  41. Nov 14, 2012
    I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time. Playing through again is kind of a chore- the plotline is pretty terrible, so that's certainly not a reason to go through again. Once you have all the skills, the runes are not that compelling of a reason to continue leveling up. Gear is hard to come by, as certain attributes are nearly useless for certain classes. Then again, you already all know this. The game is not as bad as has been said (you're pretty much guaranteed to put more than 30 hours into the game, which is, in my opinion, worth the price), but then again- I wasn't a D2 fanatic myself. I played casually in D2, and feel that D3 is an upgrade in certain ways, but a downgrade in others (plotline, atmosphere, and character customizability). Expand
  42. Nov 14, 2012
    Hi all. I am writing this review after playing the game since day one and i must say i had fun with Diablo III. The game itself features nice but not-that-amazing graphics, interesting classes and an overall fun gameplay. When you finish the game at normal difficulty you may switch to a higher one and replay the storyline: it is nothing new nor different but the advanced difficulty is, overall, a nice challenge to take. The real disappointment, though, comes when you finish the game and all the difficulty levels up to Inferno (and don't think this will take a good amount of time...): simply put, Diablo III end game is, at the moment, nothing more then a gold farm, necessary in order to buy better equipment. Repetitiveness at its finest. The more money one is able to make, the better the character will be. Players' skill almost does not matter at all: success = build + equip. I will wait for the multiplayer patch which should add a deeper end game content. Blizzard still has a chance to change Diablo III into a very good game, with the multiplayer addition, but this will be far from a simple tasks, since it won't be easy to balance player equipments and skill levels. Expand
  43. Dop
    Nov 13, 2012
    i was expecting something awesome coming for blizzard, but this game is Diacrap 3, the skill system is a joke, the Rmah rules the game and the drops there is nothing left here. im going to try to rollback my CC charge awful game...
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    In soviet Blizzard game plays you!
    Poor loot quality leaves comrades feel unrewarded and dependent on the auction house. Required internet connection screws the people out of playing single player games when Blizzards servers are down for maintenance. No ability to color or hide or personalize legendary items, steals creativity and individuality. No cheats or mods allowed for single
    player (multiplier is understandable, but what is a PC game with no cheats or mods for single player? it kills innovation, fun, and community) No sense of ownership or pride when playing this game. You feel like your playing the game the way soviet Blizzard wants you to play not the way you want to play. Shame on you Blizzard and your iron fist. Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2012
    If you played Diablo and Diablo II, then you'll know exactly what to expect in Diablo III. Most of the standard Diablo game elements are here, along with some new elements added in to modernize the game. So where did Blizzard go long? The game take far too long to get anywhere or to progress your character, the game favors grinding over exploration and progression and Blizzard has treated this game more of a MMORPG then what it should have been, a dungeon crawl. What's even more unforgivable is the fact Blizzard has actually changed drop rates to encourage players to use their over stuffed, over hyped auction house system for the game. Crippling the player's equipment just to force them to use another feature is terrible. Expand
  46. Nov 13, 2012
    The game itself is not bad, even if it can be quite repetitive and the story is not good, the thing that holds this game back massively are all the little things that blizzard has done with the auction house and making it so you can not play offline, This game is not an MMO like world of warcraft etc, it should not require a constant online connection to play, the auction house ruins the fun of trying to get nice loot drops since you can just go to the auction house and buy all the best gear, considering that loot is a big part of this game, being able to buy all of it instantly kills the point of trying to improve your character over time. I enjoyed the classes, the gameplay and the fun of playing with friends online, but I still would of liked the choice to play alone offline if I wanted. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2012
    Welcome to your next job, courtesy of Blizzard, except the neat twist is that you pay. A lot of people might complain about the always online aspect of the game, but chances are you still will play a game with DRM if it is a good game. Diablo 3 is a decent game, but it will eat your soul as advertised, perhaps it's better not to be lured in this time.
  48. Nov 10, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game, it feels like a money maker, and that's not the way I want to see the gaming industry go. Expand
  49. Nov 10, 2012
    Short content. Not rewarding replayability. Pay-to-win system. Mostly single player. PvP system is not implemented and if done will be frustrating due to pay-to-win. It is fun to complete first playthrough which is about 8 hours but then it is really not worth playing. But such content is okay only for a 1 year in development $10 indie game, not an AAA title as advertised and expected from Blizzard and most of the reviewers (who did not play past the first few hours - maybe that's the reason). Buy it to play once if the price is cheap enough for you. That is it. Expand
  50. Nov 9, 2012
  51. Nov 9, 2012
    Nothing compared to the original Diablo's. This game was fun for maybe the first 30 hours of gameplay IF your playing online with friends, because there is no single player. Overall I really dont have much to say about it because it was one of those play and throw away games that I will probably never touch again.. Stale, repetitive, uninspired, manufactured hype cash in for Blizzard that came out with a torrent of server issues causing half the user base to uproar which is what most of these bad reviews are for. So theres that, but then again, it was fun for a bit, this is something you would spend 20 bucks on when your sick of all your other games. Expand
  52. Nov 9, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive! It supplies all the needs a game junkie requires. The auction house adds the dimension of choice. The levels add an ongoing need to keep playing the same script over and over again. The multi-player aspect makes it fun, fast paced and leveling up seems to quicker. Over-all, I love this game as well as diablo 2.
  53. Nov 9, 2012
    Funny, I could have sworn I already reviewed this game. Anyhoo, I can only describe this game as a purchased virus. The few times I could actually play the game, every session was preceded by an hour of patch downloads. Now, I cannot use it at all. My account has been arbitrarily blocked more than once- This already happened to my WoW accout as well after I quit playing it for years. I spent way too much time trying to receive support since you need to log in to their crap for EVERYTHING. I refuse to MAIL them a copy of my driver's license or PURCHASE their authenticator to "avoid issues" such as this. When I had finally had enough of the ridiculous hoop jumping I went to uninstall everything Blizzard but their uninstall program does not uninstall the game- it just takes the shortcut off the desktop. Nice! This company should be the target of a class-action lawsuit. Their business strategies are nothing short of CRIMINAL. The game itself isn't horrible, but definitely not worth all the headaches to keep it going. It's like dealing with the DMV. I just want it OFF my system. I am done with everything Blizzard. Torchlight 2 is the way to go. Expand
  54. Nov 8, 2012
    Awful and dumbed down in every singe way,The RMAH turn this game in a simple pay 2 win. thx god that i could rollback the charges in my CC. DOnt waste ur money in this crap....
    Awful and dumbed down in every singe
  55. Nov 8, 2012
    A great sequel to the series which improved on everything that the previous games in the series lacked, be it balance, itemization (post 1.0.5), re-playability, overall fun and the faith to the previous games.

Plagued by flimsy launch and hype, people have smashed it in the social media and will tell you its horrible and/or terrible.

I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked
    Diablo 1/2 and just want to play a good hack & slash RPG with most of the limitations Diablo 2 suffered from, Diablo 3 is for you.

If you want to judge the game by gossip, reviewers who haven't even played it and/or the previous games or simply have chosen to hate it, then don't get it.

In the end, Diablo 3 is a very solid game which launched as a 6/10 game, has now been fixed to 8/10 area and which can improve itself to 10/10 ratio over future patches / expansions.
  56. Nov 7, 2012
    Really? They actually named this pile of **** Diablo 3 ? wtf is this? Where is all the enjoyment Diablo 2 and Lod had? Where are the real unique (golden) items as seen in Diablo2/LoD ? Oh i get it it's some graphics built around an Auction House system, gj job Blizzard finally one company understood the whole thing behind enjoying games..... NOT! In all honesty, this was the last Title i touched from Blizzard, and i was a freaking Fanboy, loving all their stuff regardless what others would say, but this game is such a letdown and such a disgrace to the Diablo series and Blizzard, it's just unforgivable.

Better head out and play the Grand Torchlight II, which actually has the original Diablo2 team behind it afaik, atleast it feels like it does.
  57. Nov 6, 2012
    My brother and i were naturally excited when the game was finally announced. We both picked up copies, played for a while and found the game to be VERY lackluster. The games environment, menu layouts and gameplay SCREAMED WoW, which i personally was NOT happy about. Oh, and f*ck the auction house. Blizzard has ruined a classic series with Copy/Pasting just about EVERYTHING from World of WarCrap and adjusting it to better fit the scenario. If i could i would gladly return this game, but Gamestop will not allow it because the disc has been "used." I made it to about level 10 or so, and got bored with the game. Its currently back in its case, in the box on my shelf and will continue to sit there collecting dust until i decide to sell it or throw it away. Now that Blizzard has released the "starter edition" on the website i would HIGHLY suggest to ANYONE considering the game to try that first. I found this game to be a complete and utter waste. I hope the guys at Blizzard realize what theyve done, and choke on it. Expand
  58. Nov 5, 2012
    Why a Zero ? Cause i was insulted, people was insulted, intelligence was insulted, world gaming was too.
    Cause people defends a BAD work, an unfinished work, an erroneous project.
    Cause people are becoming zombies..... without no idea and no common sense.... This game is a failure, the only online feature, forums moderators attitude, DIII Ceo insulting people intellect is FASCISM. I can
    not change the world, but i have moral principles, and bli$$ard deserve to be boicoted until bankruptcy. No more idiots making games please !!!! Expand
  59. Nov 5, 2012
    At first I really enjoyed this game. The visuals are great and it really sets up a good atmosphere. However the game is lacking in a lot of respects. The developers seem to have a "play our way" mentality. This can be seen in the dumbing down of the stat system and the persistent manipulation of skills done every through updates. The stat system doesn't allow you to dump points into any of your attributes, instead it allocates your skill points into attributes based on your class, which disallows for true character customization. The updates are constantly manipulating the skills so that players are more likely to play a character in the "way they were intended." These points alone would be enough for me to conclude that Diablo 3 is a lackluster RPG. Combine it with the a short and sub-par story line (that you will likely have to play several times for gear) and a multiplayer with a "thrown together" feel, I would have to recommend anyone considering buying Diablo 3 to save their $60 and look into buying a different game that actually has RPG elements and a half decent storyline. Expand
  60. Nov 4, 2012
    How can you take the Diablo franchise and turn it into this? I loved the original, like Diablo II even more, but this falls flat. (how many years did I wait for this?) Yes lots of clicking and killing things, but the story, or lack of it is a big issue. They took everything special out of the game and made it feel mechanical.. Not the Diablo I remember and love.
  61. Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, game needs connection to Internet. Yest, DRM is frustrating. Yes, game is expensive. So what? I can't stop laughing when i read comments like: "i spend 200+ hours and i can tell that game is piece of s*it" For me, it means, that you guys have too much free time, or you just like torturing yourself by doing things you didn't like :) Haters gonna hate.
  62. Nov 4, 2012
    While not a perfect game, Diablo 3 offers a tremendous experience. The game is fantastic, accompanied by a easy to learn new skill system and the much appreciated inclusion of an auction house. While the game does not have the best graphics out there, its understandable due to it being a dungeon crawler and focusing more on the gameplay. The story isn't great, and at times i found myself skipping cut scenes except for the CG cutscenes, which are fantastically animated. The game isn't all that difficult, but thanks to the recent inclusion of Monster Powers, it really takes the difficulty up a notch. There is a TON of loot for you to collect, equip, or sell on the AH. Now lets talk about the major flaw of the game: constant internet connection. Sure, if you have a decent modem the game will run just, but for the less fortunate, this is a problem. The game will lag, even if you're not playing on coop and if someone else is using your internet, say your bigger brother watching porn, the game will experience a serious lag. These weren't issues to me, since my modem is fairly decent. Overall, this is a fantastic game, one you should definitely pick up, if your wondering about the low user score its because everyone tried to log on at launch date and the game had to experience a serious lag, almost crashing the servers, so just ignore those reviews. To sum up: Story 8.5/10 Gameplay 10/10 Graphics 9/10 Lasting appeal 10/10 Expand
  63. Nov 4, 2012
    1.05 Patch has Brought life back to a game that should of been great but had a very very very terrible start. Now we await the long need of the next step to this game, PVP.
  64. Nov 2, 2012
    I don't understand all that negative comes from launch, when servers wasn't ready enough to hold all that numbers of players, and the game still doe's not ready to be finished, but Blizzard doing all what they think is right to get it done, when i start to play (almost after release tho) i had the feelings that i still play beta, but with patches games come better.

I don't know is it
    better then Diablo 2 or not, these are different games, but i 95% sure that games does not deserve that kinda of negative responses that it gets.

All that i see now, is that game get some additions and changes all over the patches, same as was with previous part of franchise. And you must to know that game have plenty of space to progress: arenas not out yet,more random events can be added to game in any time, normal items can get some use, crafting system can be improved, new cases, act, areas can be added. Only one negative thing about game is AH and RMAH, cus all game work around it, but hey it better that blizzard get some cut of real money (or gold, hehe) paid for items (if some one want to pay, and can, why not?) than some creepy illegal shops get it.

So for now game is 7 of 10 but i put 10 to get some heads up for the good developers.
  65. Nov 1, 2012
    Players of previous Diablo titles know that you don't buy Diablo for a single play through. But after only a few play throughs, I got very tired of this game. The levels feel more repetitive than older versions, the game system lacks balance, making it too easy to level up a character with low player skill. And the auction and crafting system don't warrant the ridiculously long time it took to develop this. All the fan boy gripes aside (graphics not "dark" enough, always-online DRM, troubles at launch, EU/US issues, etc.) it is still not the game I would expect for the money. You're better off buying Torchlight 2, if this type of game is your thing. Expand
  66. Oct 30, 2012
    Diablo 3 isn't perfect but it still a great game. I have played for around 125h, finished the game (inferno) with 2 characters and halfway through on a third one. The game's major problem (may be actually fixed, i have played until patch 1.04) is when people actually get to inferno, the game become pointless. There is almost no legendary drops and 95% of the time, they aren't even good. They did add the paragon system which is good but wasn't enough to keep me playing. Also the constant maintenance on the game that may prevent you from playing when you want to is a little turn off. Expand
  67. Oct 28, 2012
    This was a serious disappointment on many levels, ranging from gameplay complexity, through atmosphere, replayability, player interaction, gear availability, variability, and accessibility, to unacceptable story cheesiness. I know Diablo and D2 were not the deepest out there, but the genuinely horror atmosphere and murky, uncertain background made the actually stand out as original. DIII is totally the worst of cookie-cutter evil vs. good you can find, and it is so bad it made me almost choke. The game still offers decently paced dynamic combat and some nice, albeit too colorful, art, but it was not enough for me, certainly not at the given price. Oh, and the always-online requirement, especially given the incessant server trouble, is in my opinion unforgivable. Expand
  68. Oct 28, 2012
    This is NOT Diablo. The characters sound like arrogant chilldren, the game is COMPLETELY linear, the graphics are too "childish" and lack the dark ambiance of D2 and D1. This game is dumb. It's been 5 months since its launch and we still don't have PVP. Things just get nerfed. I want D2.
  69. Oct 26, 2012
    I read the reviews. I chose to ignore them. I loved D2 and for some reason figured that the user reviews MUST have it wrong. Turns out the users are the ones who are right; I wish I paid more attention to them. Learn from my mistake! This game is a waste of money and does not follow in the footsteps of its' predecessor.
  70. Oct 26, 2012
    SIMPLY THE WORST PC GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED!
    Read through all the reviews on Amazon.com, and you'll see everything that goes into the title of my review. So ... I'm not going to review, and, thus, become redundant. But take my word for it, all the bad things you have heard about this game, they're true ... as true as the dial to the sun or an arrow to its aim.

This game is ridiculous
    for this day and age in the gaming world. The graphics, the story line, the mechanics, etc., etc., etc. It feels like I am playing the original Neverwinter Nights, (which was a wonderful game for its time, I might add) but MUCH worse, because it is completely and utterly linear. And again, the graphics are straight out of the mid-90s. What the heck were they thinking?

I spent $59.99 on a pre-order for this game, expecting something ground-breaking. What I got was the hugest disappointment I have ever experienced in the age of computer games. I feel as though Blizzard reached their hands in my wallet and pulled out three $20 bills when I wasn't looking.

If you haven't purchased the game yet, heed my advice and the rest of the negative reviews here ... DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
  71. Oct 24, 2012
    Why do all game devs these days only care about money. Screw your auction house, the whole point of the game is to collect stuff yourself, what is the point if you can just buy the items in the auction house? It's stupid. The game itself is too easy, Story wasn't that great,graphics are good, and gameplay is good. I just can't give a game a good score when the game itself is repetative and you can't play offline. The game should be limitless and not have it's limits. Get your s**t together or get out. That's all I can say. Expand
  72. Oct 23, 2012
    This game is GARBAGE. Absolute GARBAGE. I payed 80 f*cking dollars for GARBAGE. The game gives you **** loot no matter what you do, so you have to get all of your gear from the auction house so Blizzard can make even more money. Congratulations, Blizzard: you've ruined the Diablo universe! I'm not even going to try and describe the "story" of this game - it's that f*cking bad. 0/10 for this turd of a game. JAY WILSON? F*CK THAT LOSER! Expand
  73. Oct 21, 2012
    Well, I only have one thing to say to this game. If you choose to play this game because you believed this is a MULTIPLAYER and ONLINE game, you are sadly mistaken. If Blizzard only had advertise this game correctly, it should be a single player game with access to online auction system and LAN. And it is a single player game with a boring campaign.
  74. Oct 21, 2012
    Way better than Diablo 2. Blizzard thankfully took all the annoying things in D2 and changed them. The story is fine, but the dialogs and the whole screenplay is terrible. The skill system is simply amazing, the items are way better and the stat screen although not perfect is at least informative compared to the random numbers in D2 char screen.
  75. Oct 19, 2012
    Good until I reached level 60...After level 60 game became extremely repetitive, I mean i get it, this game is about getting better and better stuff isnt it? well my hope to loot a legendary or a set item kept me playing this game and finally....FINALLY got my 1rst legendary:

a crossbowvery good stats but...543dps, price in AH = 50k gold

It's been almost 2 months since the last time
    I logged in, I played this game 183 hours so I know what im talking about, being a Wizard I suffered patch 1.0.4 nerf, when I read about another nerf to my CM build in the upcoming 1.0.5 patch which took me those 183 hours to get the items I just stoped playing

And that's about the gameplay, I won't get started on the low fps/stuttering issues but to resume that problem:

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW ALIENWARE AND GUESS WHAT? I CAN'T GET MORE THAN 25FPS IN COMBAT. I opened a ticket in customer support but they couldn't help me

My hope in this game is dead. Don't even try the demo, this crap is not worth it
  76. Oct 19, 2012
    After enjoying D2 years ago and years of waiting I must admit I'm disappointed. Don't know if time passed by Diablo or something else, but this game is BOOORING!! I hardly managed to play 2-3 hours and then went to cry for my money. Don't think I'll be back playing this anymore. Maybe I should give it change to get better but this 3 hours was too much... Feels like I played 30 hours.
  77. Oct 18, 2012
    (Post 1.0.5 review update)

My previous review was 3/10. Since patch 1.0.4 I've given the game a second chance. It got better, but the loot was still terrible, forcing people to use the RMAH which felt like f2p BS. With patch 1.0.5 the loot is dropping like mad. It feels way more like D2. Furthermore the skill system that I hated at first ended up being one of the best features. I
    never feel like I'm stuck with a build. My barbarian has gone through more transformations than a DBZ character, and I didn't have to use a trainer or hack to do it. This game is not a 10/10, but it's no longer the 3/10 that it was at launch. It didn't feel right to be a hater so I had to update my review. Expand
  78. Oct 16, 2012
    I was going to give this game a deserved 9 out of 10 ... but can't. I've managed MINIMAL game time due to server issues. I don't care what the 'DO GOODERS' keep saying about 'Have patience'. I'm sorry, I've bought Diablo 3 to play when I wanted. Blizzard have my money therefore my side of the agreement has been met. Sadly, Blizzard have FAILED to do their part. The biggest challenge is getting past the login screen. TO THE DO GOODERS ... If you bought a car and it only came with three wheels and you were told the other one will be here in a weeks time, you'd complain. You would say 'Hold on, I've paid for a car with 4 wheels'. Well that is EXACTLY what WE the NEGATIVE REVIEWERS are writing about. It's POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and in these modern times we DESERVE more from a company who make computer games. I'm not bothered that it's day one etc etc etc. I've PAID MY MONEY and I want to PLAY THE GAME I paid for. That's the way the world works. Expand
  79. Oct 15, 2012
    I nicely done game, but that is about it imho. If you love Diablo, and Blizz, then the game is a must. As much as I liked D2 and other Blizz games, I couldn't get myself to play beyond 20 something hours. Maybe we players expect nowadays too much? Whatever the case or reason, I can not see the reason behind 100% score reviews. Very misleading. User score average here seems to be much more realistic. Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2012
    Very bad game, outdated graphics, for a game that has been in developpment for 10 years this is a huge shame, it's going to be ported on consoles, pvp is late, game mechanics are bad, this game screams bad all over the place. I am a huge diablo fan but the third is just a pile of dump.
    Blizzard should quit Activision's deadly grasp already
  81. Oct 14, 2012
    I get sad when I think of what the game could have been but isn't. Everything from launch issues that kept me from playing for the first week to the fact that you have to trudge through every single difficulty level in order before the game gets anything close to challenging - I don't know what Blizzard had in their minds with this game and I'd be curious to know if even they did.

Most
    everything has been simplified and randomized to such an extent that nearly no drops you get are good, almost forcing you to go to the in-game auction house which completely nullifies the purpose of a dungeon crawler in the first place. Diablo 2 was about grinding for loot, slowly getting better and more exciting items. Diablo 3 has no exciting items and you rarely find anything better than what the AH has to offer. Your best bet is to just grind gold and spend it on the market. They made a game with features completely contradictory of its purpose, which is very sad indeed.

Is it a bad game? Not per se. Combat is fun once you get to Inferno and enemies finally are difficulty, but then again you have to grind through the same content 3 times before you get there which is simply not worth it. Class design is quite good, the classes feel unique and complete, but again you only get to feel that in Inferno. They just borked this game completely, so many bad decisions must have taken place during the development of the game.

Other points of interest: Despite big names voice acting is mostly horrid, but I'd wager that the god awful script is at fault here. Not easy to perform when the material you have sucks. The story is so predictable and generic that at no point during the game was it a surprise when **** turned into *****. No epic twist, no interesting storytelling. Blizzard dropped the ball monumentally on this game which is nothing but an utter shame.
  82. Oct 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way during subsequent playthroughs. The current ability system actually works fairly well, letting you swap skills and customization on the fly. D3 has some downsides though, some of which are fairly minor and metagamey while others are serious. It's got an internet connection requirement, but let's face it, it's not 1996 anymore. The lack of talent trees or stat placement some people may miss, but I found the trees bloated, and requirements for gear was kind of annoying. The itemization for gear is terrible. Fully half of the things you find have stats that are of no benefit to *anyone*. STR wand? Come on now. Furthermore this applies to legendary items as well; something that should be an awesome find is too often vendor trash. This ties in with the auction house, which I feel completely subverts the point of the game - 'play, loot, upgrade' is now 'shop, buy, upgrade'. So, I don't know. D2 was a great game, and D3 could easily be a worthy sequel with some work, but there are a lot of things going on that will probably make you stop playing after a week. Expand
  83. Oct 14, 2012
    It's interesting to see how some people come up with certain visions with this game that are completely untrue:

Xon - The game is well balanced / The story suffices

- The game is anything but balanced. All the classes are completely broken, especially the Barbarian which seems to get buffed every patch while every other class gets nerfed. With the new monster power system coming
    in, it makes absolutely no sense to play any other class other than a Barbarian. This should put up a red flag about the supposed balance. The story is lame at best; professional script writers have actually poked fun at D3's story as being one of the worst story line's they've ever seen.

Karma_Police - Everything that makes a good game is there / "when" they polish the game the game could be the best game in pc history / Blizzard fixing the issues.

- Haha ok this is a real doozy here.. how much exactly have you had to drink when you wrote that? The only thing the game has that could even remotely considered to make it great is it's graphics. It lacks everything else, from the music, to the balance, down to the non-randomness of the maps. They aren't fixing anything, they take about 150 steps backwards with each patch, tipping the scales in favor of not only Barbarians but a small % of players who use the rmah. Things like this have been pointed out since it's release. The only thing Karma has right is the loot system is crap, as well as, the DRM.,

For those of you looking at this and wavering on whether or not to buy D3; you need to know the truth, and not be subjected to these lies these 2 have put forth.

The only way this game will work for you is if you don't plan on progressing past Normal mode (which should take you maybe 35hrs of playtime at most. If your happy with spending $60 on that, then this game is for you. Keep in mind.. the 35hrs play time will probably take you about 200hrs real time due to the constant errors.
  84. Oct 13, 2012

Story is meh

Action House is terrible
    Missing key classes
    No PVP even now

What happened to Diablo?!
    (oh that's right, the main dev's went to Guild Wars and Torchlight)
  85. Oct 13, 2012
    After 100 hours with my demon hunter i just can say that Diablo 3 is an awesome game that some nerds hate. everything that makes a good game is there but some decisions like DRM or the loot system for lvl 60 players are just crap, i'm glad that blizzard is fixing these issues, when they polish the game we may be can call Diablo 3 one of the best games on pc history
  86. Oct 12, 2012
    Winner of this years Game Developer's Choice award for audio. This fact surprised me until I noticed that all the winners of their awards have a representative on their voting panel. Just pathetic.
  87. Oct 12, 2012
    Draconian DRM and since I'm on 3G connection mostly unplayable. The pay to win auction house, the intense lag since I live in Africa... its like something EA would make. Very disappointed, especially for this price tag
  88. Oct 10, 2012
    Cons: Auction House plays for you. Items are boring, repetitive, and other than your main stat / vitality the affixes are irrelevant. Linear Gameplay + only 5% f the maps are randomized. Online only. Matchmaking only, no custom games. Max of 4 people per game. Pros: Nice Graphics. Summary: I wouldn't bother with D3 unless Blizzard makes some serious, fundamental changes to it
  89. Oct 10, 2012
    After a development that took roughly ten years, you think that Blizzard would have included more ingame content. Perhaps the director thought that players would enjoy a more fast grind to the end? Diablo 3 is only a shell of what it really could be. Fun gameplay and multiplayer die quickly with a crazy short campaign with little incentive to repeat the journey. Also loot drops still aren't fixed after continued patches. This game is in dire need of a campaign that can't be finished in less than 10 hours. Expand
  90. Oct 10, 2012
    Pompous, silly and boring story, talentless voiceactors. Mildly engaging gear grind, made boring since you can buy better stuff at the auction house anyway. I played through it on two difficulties, the second time was mostly boring, At the third difficulty I fell asleep in the starting town.

Disappointingly short and boring game from the formerly awesome company Blizzard.
  91. Oct 9, 2012
    I cannot find anything good to say about this game. I wanted to like it, but it has no lasting end game. I played D2 for 11 years. D3 = 1 month. Too much hype; an insanely long development time that shows nothing other than perhaps legal issues regarding the auction house. Very poor story. I cannot fathom an expansion based on the ending. I prefer having the ability to make custom games not the auto-assigning. Inferno prior to the latest patch as of this writing was as a friend called it, "utterly ridiculous and a cheap gimmick" and stopped upon completing Hell difficulty. I persisted, but it was not until I found richer friends who could use the auction house could I progress past Act 2. I have a long list of friends who I played with (and I started on launch weeping through error 37), and none of them have logged in for over a month now. Most went back to WoW or some other game. I recently started playing D2 and Torchlight II; I can live without awesome graphics.

All I care about are things like end game, replay-ability, more diversity, less grinding, and an attempt by a company to maximize the development time listening to the community.

I get it. I'm a veteran and my eyes are clouded by nostalgia. Still, I put in my time. I tried all classes. Tried Hardcore. It doesn't work. I don't think the game can be patched to fix the issues. It was a colossal mistake from all angles. I don't care about SP. That bothers older players, but I didn't play D2 for the single player. The critics obviously did not play the game; they need to actually play these games before reviewing. I mean there is something seriously wrong with such a massive disparity 3.7 vs 88? Personally, I wish I never bought the game. I really thought it was going to be keeping me up night after night for months. I got into the beta, and I thought it was just a random area for us to test. In no way did I find elements of the teaser gameplay released in 2008 that was 10x better than what I was given.

All in all, do yourself a favor and play anything else or if you really want to play wait until it is on sale or a certain man in charge of this game gets fired for making abusive remarks and/or the company gets off the high horse and goes back to its garage days where it has to think about the gamers and not instant profit, residual income, and other gimmicks that failed to keep me and lots of others away. Yes, that was a run-on. Terrible....so terrible.

I give it a 1 out of 10. Nothing can save this franchise. SC2 has more hope. Warcraft will always be their baby. I got that much out of the 20 year anniversary they posted on the website. 75% Warcraft, 20% Starcraft, 5% (barely a mentioning) Diablo. Fin.
  92. Oct 9, 2012
    Well after 60+ hours of playing the game I think I can finally conclude that there are way too many problems that are ingrained into the game due to design choices made by Blizzard. The first 10 or so hours were fun, it was new, it was shiny new, but after that it simply went downhill.

It's biggest and most unforgivable flaw is of course the loot drops. They are geared around the entire player population and no longer (like Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2) geared around the individual player, so what you get is total junk loot most of the time which then forces you into their gold or real money auction house to get items that are appropriate for your characters level just so that you can move on in the game.

Sure, some players may have the luck (somebody has to right?) and those items in the auction houses have to come from somewhere, and they do, from the lucky players or the players that have no life and do nothing but grind for hundreds of hours in D3, or from bots that grind just as mercilessly so that they can sell the good loot to real live players for gold (or real money) which they then turn around and sell the gold to the fool players that are willing to buy from 3rd party sites. Anyway, my point is that the loot is geared to drop around the entire population of players else their auction house wouldn't even work for them. So you can either grind for tens or hundreds of hours in hopes that you'll get a decent upgrade or go to the auction house and buy it with some gold or real money.

This directly conflicts with all of the ARPG's that I've ever played and I've played a lot, the whole auction house deal basically takes away the one guilty pleasure of these types of ARPG's which is to find new loot that are upgrades for your character.

Next we have the total respec, where you have no perminence with your character as you can change the skills as often as you change your socks (actually, probably more often) which means there's basically no reason to reroll a new character, just go to the auction house to buy some new gear to accompany your new chosen skills.

All in all this game has been a total and complete let down to both my wife, myself and about 75% of our friends that also bought it. Both my wife and I had been wanting a D3 since Diablo 2 LOD was released and have waited patiently for the past I don't know how many years, 7 or 8 years now. Unfortunately the game is so seriously flawed by poor design decisions by Blizzard developers and there's just no way to fix it as it's prime function for Blizzard is to make a revenue stream out of the auction house. As long as the auction houses remain, the loot drops will be based on total player population and the game will never have that feeling of achievement that you would normally get in games like Diablo 2, Titans Quest, Torchlight 1 & 2, Sacred etc etc etc, the list goes on and on an don.

I originally scored this game a 10, that was 4 hours and 54 minutes into play, it's now Oct, almost 5 months after release and the grind is still there and that is ONLY in HOPES that you might get an upgrade. please take my word for it when I tell you that it's simply not worth it, especially at the $60.00 price tag.

If on the other hand you hurry down to Toys r Us you can pick up Diablo 3 right now for only $9.99 If you buy it for under a 10er, then you'll likely get your moneys worth out of it with one play through, assuming you get loot that let's your character keep moving forward.

I can no longer in good conscience recommend this game to family or friends or even my worst enemies. Expand

93. Oct 9, 2012
    Pure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awfulPure overhyped garbage. THE disaster of this generation. This game is a failure, not deem to be called a PC game. This game is of subpar quality. Incredibly awful Expand
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played two softcore characters to level 60 and a hardcore barbarian through Act 1 Inferno. The longer you play the more you see the short comings of the design decisions the development team made, when they tried to "revolutionize" the ARPG genre instead of sticking to time tested mechanics.

The replay value get's absolutely slaughtered by the "skill unlock and unlimited respec" system. There is no reason why I should play a barbarian again, when I have everything unlocked and the next playthrough would feel exactly the same. It feels a bit like being dragged through the game on railroad tracks. You never have to make a decision that has any permanence which kills the fun. Everything is done for you. This is not what I expect from a Diablo game. After playing every class to level 60 once you're done with the game. The terible loot and item system make it even worse, because playing the game feels like a waste of time on higher levels. You clean the same Act on Inferno two times just to be mocked with **** blue items. There is no feelling of reward which would keep you playing. You have the constant feeling that you are suposed to use the horrible Auction House just to be able to advance. The quests and levels feel extremely boring. It's always go to A and B to click one something so you can go through the portal where you will find two new portals which you have to enter and clear just to be able to enter the last portal. To add insult to injury all boses an NPC simply can't keep their obnoxious mouth shut. It is very annyoing once you played through the story once. You'll only be hitting the spacebar like a maniac all the time just to skip cheesy dialogs and cut-scene which are forced down your throat. The boss battles are stupid and boring. You'd think that a billion dollar company could come up with something more intimidating than a stupid butterfly which will spawn 4 dudes with a big club and shield itself as long as they are alive. That's it. Dudes get spawned you kill them. You hit the butterfly until it starts shielding itself again and spawns the 4 dudes again. Repeat until the butterfly is dead.

If this game wasn't called Diablo I would give it 5-6 points out of 10.
  95. Oct 9, 2012
    Diablo3 is an amazing game, though it does many things differently to Diablo2. It makes these changes to simplify gameplay and make the game more accessible to people new to the franchise. If you prefer how Diablo 2 did things, perhaps check out Torchlight.

Diablo 3 has some great graphics, amazing sound track and voice acting and solid game play. The gameplay gets repetitive after
    100hours but at that point the game has been worth the purchase.

The game did launch with several problems which caused many people on this site to give it terrible reviews. Since launch a lot of new content has been added to address these, thus many of the user reviews on this site are outdated at best, some are just unfair.

The only negetive this game gets from me is that the always online requirement. Having battle.net's social aspects added to the game isnt enough to validate the always online requirement. IE: It causes more problems than it enhances the experience.
  96. Oct 8, 2012
    Boring, simple, limiting itemization. Plot & dialogue geared for a 10 year old. Very linear game play with little randomness. Stat system dumbed down beyond belief. No pvp, no endgame, no reason to continue to play. New Paragon level makes it more restrictive to level alts. Botters and spammers everywhere. Arrogant game designer who clearly has no idea how to make an ARPG and who is clearly taking his cues from WoW. Worst gaming disappointment ever. Expand
  97. Oct 8, 2012
    After patches the gameplay is improving since release. Good graphics, great combat, entertaining physics, fairer Inferno difficulty, tweaked abilities for a broader range of viable character builds, and steadily improving loot and drop chance make the game a lot more fun than it was.
  98. Oct 7, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. Played about 60 hours over a month and now 3 months later and I don't even think about it anymore (other than the money I coughed up). Game needs a SERIOUS patch or something that'll make it more challenging. Even PVP hasn't been activated yet. wtf dude?
  99. Oct 7, 2012
    This game is actually really a lot of fun. I have enjoyed it just as much or more than my experiences with DI and DII. I look forward to the new patches blizzard has planned and will play this game well into the future. Give this game a chance. Create your own experience and then develop your own opinion on it. I actually think having it as an online game is helpful because I can then store my character on a server and not have to worry about losing it with a computer failure. Expand
  100. Oct 7, 2012
    Imo this game are sill in beta mode. If I had known about Diablo 3 when I bought the game, what I know now. I had not bought this game.
    +1 to the graphics and sound. Blizzard change system of this game more often then you change pants. This kills the game feeling of d3.
  101. Jul 27, 2012
    After roughly 100 hours game play I can say D3 is a huge disappointment. Blizzard did nothing to innovate game play or graphics and instead focused on a money making machine. Playing through the same exact tedious storyline to get your character to max level then once more to get the max level gear is mind numbing. The real money auction house wouldn't be so bad if GOLD SALES weren't legal causing non cash spenders like myself to feel HUGE inflation. All in all I think this game was an atrocity to the title and to gaming in general. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012