3.9

1. Oct 2, 2012
    The game strays to far from what made it legendary. It was clearly not designed by the original developers.

Rest in peace Diablo. We will miss you.
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    es increible que a dia de hoy existan empresas como blizzard que se rian de sus clientes en la cara, conexion a intenet? casa de subastas? es inaudito
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is a shame for the whole gaming community: the Real Money Auction House is a gigantic scam, yet.

Diablo 3 have some awesome graphics and cinematics, the basic gameplay is also very addictive, but:
    - The builts diversity promised is not applicable due the lack of high quality items
    - The builts diversity promised is a joke when looking the actual 'paragon leveling' pushing
    players to focuse on only 1 character for months even years to be fully leveled.
    - There is a maximum of 6 skills possible, following a console pad play
    - The game was lauched as a beta, and massively exploited by cheaters & hackers
    - The in game trade interface got flaws that are not fixed while RMAH very optionnal features are added in next patches, giving an idea of what are the priorities of this company.
    - The characters run/move speed is a way too low, look like sick turtles.
    - The Item drop rate is a way too low; is a shame pushing little players to play the same dedicated characters builts for hundred of hours days weeks in the same places over and over again to have a chance to drop something very good, OR have to PAY FOR IT IN THE REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE.

Basically this game is a DEMO of what it could be if players had the best items; much tricks are done to push ppl to buy items in RMAH, like profile access (players can inspect each others in details to see what items are used, what skills etc..)

This is Blizzard This is Business

And can explains the actual 3.7/10 ...
  4. Oct 2, 2012
    After 100 hours of gameplay, I have come to say that this game is outright disastrous. Every reason I played the earlier games has been stripped from this one, which came to me as no surprise as Blizzard closed Blizzard North halfway through their version of Diablo 3. I can't deny that this game had a few fun pockets of some pretty fun hack n' slash, but the negatives vastly outweigh anything positive you could say about this game. I coasted through the first three difficulties rarely having to even use my left hand to hit hotkeys, and then suddenly inferno comes, and every elite mob who gets in my plane of vision one shots me, and I'm told by players online that I need to buy gear from the auction house if I want to get anywhere. Lets think about that one; in a game where they've taken away distributed stat points, skill points, and any sort of complex or in-depth element, why would they also take away the very foundation of looting to progress? And I don't even want to get started on the abysmal tacked-on story. To me, this game is nonsensical and does not deserve to have the title of Diablo. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2012
    Very repetitive, many mistakes throughout, of which, are unfortunately unfixable at this point. Real Money Auction House had really ruined what could have been a great game along with dumbing down many of the previous things in Diablo II which made it great.
  6. Oct 1, 2012
    There are things you cannot change. Soccer rules are the same for more than one century and it is still the most popular sport on earth. One of the reasons of D2 longevity was the freedom to experience different builds whichever the player desires, giving infinity replayability. Being able to create a melee sorc or a ranged barbarian was part of the fun, and this game removes this. It is sad to see Blizzard going the same path as Bioware. The board of directors from Activision and EA see our beloved games as if they are the same as Farmville, and this is the result we receive. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2012
    As an old Diablo 1 and 2 player, i can't believe this game was made. From an interesting story with amazing fights it ends to be a game designed to be an endless item farming game. With the ambitious plan by blizzard to implement the RMAH (Real money auction house), the game became an item hunt game. The acts are boring, the only one you may enjoy is Act3 but with a lot of lacking gameplay. Too many old mobs & bosses appearances making it really lacking on creativity. It's a clear disaster from blizzard, trying to revive an old game that wasn't needed to bring back. Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2012
    I started playing this game and actually really enjoyed it through the first hour. The story seemed like it was going to be compelling and it felt like perhaps the game was going to be a more refined version of Diablo 2. Skill systems were interesting right off because you were constantly getting new things to try every level and everything seemed like it would be useful. Items that I could use were dropping a bit less than I had hoped, but still thought the game was good.

By the end of the first act I was still liking the game, but it really did lack variety. You really only run around outside in the same kind of places and then go into a hellish type torture chamber place where zombies are being burnt and demons run at you. It still had enough variety to be entertaining though. I went into act two and thought, hey this is very similar to act 2 in diablo 2. You go to Lut Golein, it's sandy and bright and your in a market city. This is kind of neat to feel nostalgia towards Diablo 2, but at this point act 1 seemed like act 1 from before and act 2 is the same as well. You would think by now they would have come up with something new right?

Anyway, went forward through the act and it was okay. Same thing, it lacked variety and you went into the sewers ( just like in act 2 of Diablo 2). It just felt like it lacked creativity at this point and by this time my skills were starting to show problems too. Certain skills are just way more powerful than others and there was really no point in using anything other than them. They have patched this a bit, but still it's not really that balanced. You will find one thing that's best and go with that.

Enter Act 3 or should I say half an act. This act is pretty short and boring, the story at this point really gets cliche and uninteresting. I was really sad at this point because you could tell blizzard just gave up on the story and creativity. At this time you realize that items don't drop very often at all that you need because there's an auction house and they expect you to use it. So, don't expect good things to drop for you, expect things to drop for others very infrequently and then expect to have to sell them to other people, just to buy stuff for you. Auction house works great in games like WOW, but here you kinda want to find some things for your own character every now and then. It actually makes it fun to fight things and hope good stuff drops, but just don't expect that to happen often at all.

By the end of this act I was actually dreading act 4 because I felt the story was just stupid at this point and don't worry, I wasn't disappointed. The final act, which can't even be called that is about half of the size of act 3! It's set in "heaven" which could have been really cool, but ends up super boring and generic. I don't think you'll find very many people who will enjoy this act. It seems thrown together and could have been done better by almost any game company. Blizzard is better than this and I'm not sure how this managed to pass through their testing.

You beat the game, the story sucked, and guess what? Now they want you to beat it again in nightmare mode....which is about the same difficulty as normal. So you are even more bored. Then you get to beat it AGAIN....Hell mode gets harder and you learn you can actually die in this game towards act 4. By this time you have beaten the game twice and the already bad story and boring acts are pretty much loathed. You would rather be going to school or work or whatever it is you do. Hell, after beating this game 2 times at that point I would almost rather do laundry and that is saying something.

You beat the game on HELL and now have beaten it 3 friggin times, and now what do you unlock? Inferno mode! YAY! The same damn game, but now you can die in 2-3 hits. You must now gear up at this point to beat each act, and "champion" packs of monsters can kill you very quickly if you don't adjust tactics..Each class generally has a certain build they must use to get through. There is a little variety, but very little. If you are lucky enough to have good things drop for you then you might make it to act 3 and 4 relatively easy, if your unlucky expect to play through act 1 a million times in hopes you get something..ANYTHING to sell and purchase better gear. Then you finally gear up, you finally get through act 4. And you are done. Nothing else in the game to do. So why play any more? The better question is why did you beat the same game 4 times in a row, that wasn't even very fun the first time? My advice is, don't play Diablo 3 at all. If you played Diablo 2 then congratulations, you played a better game with a better story. No reason to even take a look at this. If you are really bored with life then you can take a look, but you wont find anything new.
  9. Sep 29, 2012
    Complete and utter garbage. Do not buy.

The designers at the helm of this abomination are caught up in a dirty cloud of real-money auction houses and misguided pursuits of balance and "viability". In the mean time, the team, under the leadership of the talentless Jay Wilson, had forgotten to make the game interesting and fun. Don't waste your money. There are plenty of better games on
    the market. Expand
  10. Sep 29, 2012
    after playing hundreds of hours and finishing Inferno u feel like the game is totally over unlike D2 when there is always something to do! i have played with all the characters excluding the WD and tried Hardcore and still this game isnt fun after inferno u playing to get better gears and the loot is just horrible.
    RMAH/AH and always Online play are the worst idea ever they totally ****
    this game even without the rest of this game flaws like horrible skills.not rewarding loot system.extremely poor storyline.
    i really tried to like this game but its just to bad ... i truly miss D2...
  11. Sep 29, 2012
    I was profoundly disappointed with Diablo III. I played several weeks AFTER release day, so my review is based on the game itself, not the customer service nightmare that was release day. I played the original Diablo and Diablo II, and unfortunately, 10-12 years of development (or however long it took them) didn't result in a marked improvement. On the positive side, I will say that gameplay feels more organic, and each class feels more unique than in previous installments. I admit, I loved the unique feel of the different classes, the animation for their various abilities and being able to tailor these abilities to my individual play style. I also like the fact that I can choose a gender for each class, whereas in previous games your gender depended upon the class you chose, so that was a definite improvement. My main gripe with this game is that, after an hour or two, it's BORING. After you get past the "OMG it's D3!!!" feeling and actually play the game for a few hours, this is what the experience comes down to for me: Run Around. Kill Mobs. Loot. Run Around More. Kill Mobs. Loot More. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Previous installments of the game felt darker and instilled actual fear in me while I played, as the atmosphere and story engaged me and made the experience feel less grindy. The story in D3 seems more in the background than D1 and 2, and the repetitive gameplay and the relegation of the lore to the backburner greatly decreased my engagement in the game. It felt too easy, too repetitive and lacked the depth that was an integral part of Diablo I and II. Some would argue that Diablo I and II had very little depth, but I disagree. Yes, the story of Diablo didn't have the same complexity of the Warcraft or Starcraft franchises, but the lore was still rich and evoked a sense of fear and darkness that I simply didn't feel in D3 - even with the added cinematics, which felt hollow somehow. All in all, I was profoundly disappointed in Diablo III. Though it looks great and the classes were unique and fun to play for a short time, Diablo III felt repetitive and fell flat. It sadly lacks heart, and felt more like a generic hack-and-slash money-grab than a high-quality, complex universe that Blizzard was known for producing in the past. Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2012
    Too much hype. Such a good looking game with great musical score. But in the end, the fun factor was just not there. The inability to chose stats was such a let down. Choosing stats and skills gives the player a feeling of ownership that the game does not provide. In the end, max level classes are the same. They all receive the same stats and skills.

It's not that it's a bad game. But
    this game carried high expectations. And high expectations, simply carry high criticism. Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a major disappointment. It is really only 4-6 hours long. Wasted $60. Will not buy anything related to Diablo ever again. This game could be worth it if it were under $10.
  14. Sep 28, 2012
    I didn't want to give this game a 0, but... I am just so disappointed. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. This game was quite possibly the biggest bust of 2012. Perhaps the most overhyped game in almost a decade. Disgusting.
  15. Sep 28, 2012
    Played for 30 minutes, got bored, never went back. Don't waste money on this. The days of good Blizzard carring for the quality of their games are gone.
  16. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly, very beautiful, but there is no trace of the old dark pathos, the skirmishes most of the times are an incredible mass where the player can't understand what is going on and has just to click the mouse, like maybe the Diablo II Lord Of Destruction MOD called Median XL; other features are very similar to this mod, they have probably played it during the development, which took too many years for the final result. Few weeks after relase they found bugs to be corrected, gameplay things to be modified, immortality bugs to be removed; it wasn't a good product, but with the latest patches is more enjoyable. I bought it the day of the relase, with many friends, none of us is still playing it, because it quickly gets boring; we started Diablo II again in LAN, we enjoyed it much more probably. Expand
  17. Sep 28, 2012
    After 200 hours of Diablo 3, I have got 2 sub-60 level Legendary gear drops. I have 2 level 60 characters and 3 more in the 50 levels. It is now that my appreciation for the game begins.

D3 is all about killing bad monsters and looting
  18. Sep 28, 2012
    After putting in several hundred hours in this game i feel absolutely disgusted with myself for wasting so much of my time and money on game made by developers who don't care about anything but $$. If you enjoy games with inflated economies filled with botters, hackers, and day traders (like runescape), this may be the game for you. Unfortunately most of the time you will find your self with a lacking feeling of reward or fun.

Also for an ARPG the randomization in this game is absolutely horrible. Very little replay value, and an incredibly unintelligent and boring story line.

Your time is better spent just playing its predecessors.
  19. Sep 27, 2012
    My god... did I really wait this long to write my review? I guess it bummed me out that much. Anyway, fond memories brought me to Diablo at which point I woke up and wondered what the heck I was doing. I wasn't having fun. I should have understood that when I didn't have the urge to log in (urgh permaonline), I guess I was a bit of a welltrained humanbot. Congrats to Blizzard on that account. They actually made me play something I didn't enjoy. Expand
  20. Sep 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game launched with a lot of problems. A LOT of problems. Broken servers, broken AH, weird performance issues. I play on a heavily overclocked 2500k with Crossfire 6950 GPUs. Day one, horrible stuttering when entering games. I even had stuttering on pre-rendered cinematics, and that bug still exists today. There is a bizarre bug with v-sync that if I ever drop below 60 FPS even for half a second, my FPS either gets cut in half to 30 for several seconds, or keeps going at 60 FPS as if v-sync was suddenly turned of. This turns the game into a juddery piece of s*** when it occurrs and totally ruins the experience. That bug STILL EXISTS TODAY and has been well-documented. How do things like this happen with a game that had the budget they did? I really don't get it.

The game itself is okay. In general the classes are fun to play. The 'story' is a complete travesty. I don't know who wrote this thing, but the story and delivery are on par with something like..."The Room". How many times does Kulle have to telegraph that he's going to betray you by laughing maniacally every time he finishes talking? What really killed the game was itemization. You basically have to win the lottery to find an item that is any good or even worth selling. Inferno was so challenging at launch that most people never made it past act 1. People depended on broken specs and exploits to get through. Botters and exploiters have absolutely ruined the gold economy. Items that would be a solid upgrade for me now cost 50 million gold or higher. There is something truly effed when I can't buy an item that would really be a good upgrade when I'm sitting on 35 million gold. And guess what. You can't gain a lot of gold unless you sell a really kickass item. But wait, remember that the loot rolls are so random that I play a few hours every day with a good amount of MF and find an item that sells for around 10 million gold...oh, about once a month.

Lately, Blizzard has shown some interest in making things better. The 1.05 patch and 1.04 really seem to put forth some effort to improve the experience. However, for many players it's just too little, too late. Seriously, it's months later, and the changes in these last 2 patches should have been what the game launched with. Still no PvP or even word when it should be expected.

I actually still have fun with the game, so that's something. They seem to be committed to fixing the problems and what players don't like. But until that really happens, I can only give this game an average rating. Maybe with the expansion (and we all know one is coming) they will get it right from the start. After the utter s***fest that is Mists of Pandaland, I'm not holding my breath.
  21. Sep 27, 2012
    I gave up on Diablo 3, i really dislike the direction that the series moved in with the addition of the auction house, the always online connection needed, and the way they simplified the RPG aspects. I ended up removing it from my hard drive.
  22. Sep 27, 2012
    nothing much to brag about this game. its all about the repetitive game style and i have never been sleepy playing any games except this 1. forces you to use the AH and RMAH to get the upgrade wasnt a very good move on any games. been played for about 600 hours now and i only found 3 upgrade for myself.
  23. Sep 26, 2012
    From the early start of the game, it may worth about 6/10, however, with more playtime more bad feeling come. U have to run act 3 over and over again to get thousands of crappy item and hope that only a few can sell. Customization is total suck, in which you can't spend your stat point. If you char are not well equiped, you need to Kite a whole map to kill an elite. My brother and my friend used to play but all quit already. It is total diappointed YOU BLIZZARD make such a boring game, and thankful nerf my barb in 1.05. Expand
  24. Sep 26, 2012
    One of the most disapointing games ever made. Truly. This game is just awful. I can't echo enough all the bad reviews on here. The subtle "pay-to-win" formula of the RMAH rules every decision of this game and is the reason this game will never be fun. This game is a perfect example of what happens to a game that's made by greedy executives rather than gamers. Torchlight 2 surpases Diablo 3 in every way including price. Expand
  25. Sep 26, 2012
    I rated this game as a 6/10 shortly after release because, despite it's flaws, I felt that the game had potential and a part of me really hoped that improvements where in the pipeline, as at the time of release things like overall combat, difficulty, loot and the auction house were clearly defective.

However, after playing the game more than I really wanted to in order to give a fair
    score, I can honestly say that not only is D3 a bad game, it's... well, it's sort of broken my faith in gaming. It's that much of a disappointment. It's the definitive example of a company taking a franchise that was built with love and care at it's conception, and turning it into a soulless cash cow with a complete disregard to the common gamer.

The scores on Metacritic are by and large NOT trolling. The critic scores, to put it mildly, are an absolute disgrace and a clear example of an attempt to buddy up to Blizzard - a gaming megalith - for future releases.

Let me be clear - I'm a Blizzard fan, I appreciate the quality they have delivered in the past, but you have to judge D3 on it's own merits and not as a fanboy of the company.

I could go into details as to what exactly makes the game poor - such as dumbed down gameplay, mind-numbing repetition, no time spent/reward ratio, an unbearably stupid loot system which renders 99% of everything you pick up utterly useless and a profession system which I can't find a negative enough word for... but it comes down to one very simple conclusion; Diablo 3 is comfortably the most disappointing game ever. But even if you took it as a standalone title and ignored the franchise history it's still one of the worst games of the year with very few redeeming features.

Do yourself a favour - if you have fond memories of Diablo 1 & 2 and you're about to opt for D3, please don't. Keep your memories of the good times safe and sound.

And the major review sites should be ashamed of themselves - actually ashamed - as you're misleading people into parting with hard earned cash for a title that they can't even return or resell when they find out how bad it is. If DRM is part of a title, honest reviews are going to be vital in the future.
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    Gave it a 6 because it feels like it almost made a passing grade but fell short in the long run. At first it is fun, but you can immediately see how it is pretty basic from the beginning (from a build option stand point) but you ignore it and try to have fun.The fun is had but starts to fade. You start to enter the second game phase, Auction House 3. You gawk over things you will never be able to own and have little to no chance of dropping. You can forget about getting more than one piece from a set without having to buy from the AH. Everything with the balancing is just madness because the developers are being pulled in every direction from the community. It feels so linear and you end up playing the same act (act3 if you're smart) over and over and over. I look back and I just think how much more productive I could have been with my gaming time. Still got my money worth, but feel like I deserve some rebate money in return. Expand
  27. Sep 26, 2012
    Played for FOUR months.
    After 4 months of this game I can finally say I'm sick of playing a beta.
    NO game should ever make the kind of drastic changes that Blizzard makes with Diablo 3 on a monthly basis.
    Fixing things is understandable, every game has it's bugs that gets fixed. But full on changing things because they DID NOT TEST THEM is punishing the players for BLIZZARDS mistake.

A test realm was not even created until patch 1.05 (which is not out yet). They also changed almost every skill at least once because after release they decided they did not like the way the skills worked. They worked 100% as intended.. and when players built their classes around that skill, blizzard takes it into their own hands to decide what is fun for the players.

Blizzard has also admitted that drops are 100% effected by the Auction House... why? So the economy doesn't crash in a matter of weeks. Well.. here we are.. 4 months later.. and gold is at $0.50 per million gold.

The most recent addition to the patches.. The Infernal Machine.
    Basically... go find a key.. use the key on a door.. face Uber bosses.
    Sound familiar? That's because the idea was from Diablo 2. Gee... They're already out of unique ideas???

Final Fantasy XIV is currently one step below Diablo 3 on User Metacritic reviews.
    Square Enix COMPLETELY has overhauled and redesigned that game. Admitted they screwed up. Lead developed resigned, along with most of the development team. Blizzard/Activision needs to step up and demand Jay Wilson resign, along with his team. They are not improving a game that could EASILY be improved, just not the way they would like it to be for their own personal preference. The easiest way that could be produced in a few months... The addition of skill points and skill trees.
    As of right now. Strip down every level 60 barbarian and you have 100% identical barbarians. Identical skills and stats available. The addition of paragons however did allow players to gain VERY small amounts of skill points. But that does not change the fact that their will ALWAYS be a dominant build for each class, and everytime that build is used by a majority of the players, blizzard has chosen to nerf the builds. If a certain ability is used too often.. nerf it. If a certain trait on items is equipped to often.. nerf it. ANYTHING that is being done by too many people, blizzard will and has nerfed it. Until a new team or methodology of running this game is developed, it is doomed to fail much sooner than it ever should.
  28. Sep 26, 2012
    Well...4 months since launch and it is still absolutely terrible. Buy torchlight 2, borderlands 2, literally any other game but this. Blizzard has built a "game" that was never intended to be a fun user experience it was intended to gouge its playerbase for $ in the RMAH. This is the most unrewarding game released in a long time and it isn't even close.
  29. Sep 26, 2012
    The gameplay and mechanics are actually ok. The biggest downfall is the beta-state of skills and *balance* (why TF does a single player game needs that much balancing?) due to the focus of the forced RMAH from Blizzard. It's given a strong impression that everything* revolved around the stupid RMAH. Don't even get started with the horrendous loots. Across 5 classes at 60. Mostly I play DH / Wiz / Barb, they farmed gears for monk and WD. I have found less than 10 pieces of gears of the character I play as an upgrade. I've gotten ~20~30 pieces of legendaries and there are 2 set picese (monk pants and DH boots that worth around 10 mil each at the time). All others are worthless crap that over half is below 60 that doesn't even worth anything other than vendor. The others 60+ ones gets turned into brimstones. Overall, the game is *ok*, but the implementation of RMAH, loot system, no end game, constant nerf (AKA rebalancing) of different spec / classes is just silly. Along side the way blizzard handles issues, i.e. the recent DH nerf of the 1500% trail to 300% dmg as a *BUG* which clearly was not, (as it's in the patch note, the developer review, the tool tip and everywhere else). They even have no balls to admit to nerfs. Game has "potential", too bad Blizzard / Jay Wilson isn't talented to exploit them. And Jay Wilson obviously didn't play D2 and I am slightly bothered by the fact he keeps trying to tell the playerbase what is "fun". (we think dodging attacks for player isn't fun, so we make mob attacks in dodgeable, even it *looks* mobs were hitting air 20 yards away, it still hits you! NOW THAT'S FUN!!". srsly. Expand
  30. Sep 25, 2012
    I purchased the CE. Honestly felt like somebody ran up to me and stole my wallet with $130 AU in it. My review does not take in to account any of the login issues and is based of the gameplay experience.

The first day or so of this game was fun as it took me back to the old days of playing Diablo 1 and 2. A lot of friends and colleagues were playing the game. After a week most of them
    had dropped off without even hitting max level. I continued playing with the 1 or 2 friends left in the game and hit inferno. After that the fun experience came to an end. I failed to see any motivation to grind on act 1 and then eventually act 2 over and over just to get to act 3 and maybe act 4 to well... just keep on grinding. If people want to grind a game to may a few $$$ that's up to them. Personally I go to work for $$$ and play games for fun. Just another great example of what Bli$$ard has now become. Sure they might be rolling in cash at the moment from all the suckers out there but are people dumb enough to keep paying for this rubbish... some may be but I hope the intelligent people out there will teach them not to bite the hand that feeds them over and over or they will eventually go without food. Expand
  31. Sep 25, 2012
    Even though there is so much hate in Diablo 3, it still deserves credit for the best looking and executed looting game there is today (in modern years of course). Felt like an MMO, but yet still "single player", D3 is very brave at attempting this untested water, with things like the Real Money Auction House. If there is anything wrong with this game, it is not the way Blizzard is treating the players (making us into their test subjects), it's with the philosophy that this game shouldn't be "too easy" because the economy of the D3 items would hugely affect their income. Blizzard misunderstood what "fun" really means for the majority of players: we play because we want the accomplishment by playing, not wasting 300 hours while still unable to complete all the challenges! So whenever someone clever enough to figure out ways to have fun, Blizzard goes in to "nerf" them. This is the worst game I've had where whatever you are having can be stripped away instantly from a single player game. If not for the huge D2 background, nobody would care about such a manipulative MMORPG without content updates. Expand
  32. Sep 25, 2012
    This game had so much potential. Blizzard fails to deliver a fantasy world for you to plunder. Instead you are left with a pay to win world. The Auction House and Real Money Auction House are the two most influential parts of the game. The loot system has been diluted to the point that many players have shared experiences of hundreds of items looted, yet none were useful or sell-able. I feel that because of the so many complaints about itemization, they have dumbed down the game similar to what has happened with World of Warcraft. It is a sad day for Blizzard fans. Expand
  33. Sep 25, 2012
    I have never written a game review before but after the huge let down of Diablo 3 I have decided there is a time for everything.

I am a huge Diablo fan and before Diablo 3 came out I convinced all my friends to pre-order it with me (about 10 of us all got it together). Upon initial play (after the huge delays due to launch, expected though) the game seemed pretty cool. I was not happy
    about a few things they had removed, ie stats, proper skill tree, etc. but the game itself started out pretty good.

Diablo 3 is a nicely designed game in terms of graphics and character control, in fact I would rate those two aspects at about a 9/10 however controls and pretty images do not make a game.

As with all diablo games the play time is extended by allowing players to replay the game with 3 (4 in diablo 3) difficulties. However in diablo 3 the first play through is way to easy and you are pretty much given the story line, personally I would have preferred to work for the story line with some difficulty.

So now for my reasoning why I gave Diablo 3 a 2/10.

Diablo 3 should have never been released as a squeal to diablo 1/2, it is far from it. Diablo 3 removes so many features from diablo 1 and 2 that it is not the same game. There is very little customization available to players. The only real customization is the choice in what spells to use, but everyone gets all of the spells so there is no real customization there. For instance I played an online game with a random, I was matched up with someone of the same class, and I was killing things better then they where so next minute they have changed their skills to exactly match mine and both our characters looked identical and had the exact same skill set. Effectively NO CUSTOMIZATION. End game is extremely boring and does not offer any "Fun" re-playability. Item drops are just pathetic and the game is designed so that you can not find the best gear for your character. You will have to buy it and in most cases this means you will need to use the real money auction house to buy really good gear. For instance I had over 250 hours played on my main character and I never found a single legendary or set Item. About a month after release all my friends where complaining about the game and said they were bored of it. I logged on the other day, after stopping playing myself for a few months, and my entire friends list has been offline for over a month. The only reason I actually gave this game a 2/10 rating is due to the awesome cinematic scenes and the quality of character control, although the story line did annoy me in places. Not to spoil anything but one particular scene was crap and would have been hated by all diablo fans.

Diablo 3 has been designed with over all money as the goal of the game not quality of the game. It is made to appeal to everyone, not to appeal to actual gamers, they are trying to target the audience of people that don't usually play games or don't play much and would rather spend money on the real money auction house then to play the game themselves.

There is absolutely no depth do Diablo 3, like the diablo series did have. From diablo 2 they removed;
    - Runes (as they where in diablo 2)
    - Stats (you still have stats but it is all automatically applied, so everyone is the same)
    - Any type of skill tree (every single player is given all of the available skills)
    - The ability to collect your own group of Set Items, it is impossible to actually find a complete set, lucky to find a single set item)
    - Sockets are gone.
    - NO PVP (they advertised the game with pvp and are yet to release it, months after launch)
    - Lowered the amount of players allowed in a single game.
    - Removed modding ability (diablo 2 modding was hugely popular and allowed the game to last much longer, people still play new content in diablo 2 today due to modding)
    - No Cube for combinations
    - Less characters to choose from

Basically they removed everything that made Diablo the great game it was and instead turned it into a no penalty game with the only requirement was to point and click, no thought or brain power needed for anything in the game. Only thing that sets you above others is gear, which turns out whoever spends the most real money on the auction house is put far ahead of everyone else. I do not recommend this to anyone looking to play diablo 3, if you are a newcomer to the series you may like it. Torchlight 2 is far closer to what diablo 3 should have been and I have been addicted to that since it's launch, much better game.
  34. Sep 25, 2012
    I bought this game at premium price and I was really disappointed with the outcome. I agree with some gamers that this is really an Auction House Tycoon 3 and not Diablo 3. The graphics is mediocre. The gameplay is not engrossing. I've finished the game in normal mode using Demon Hunter. Usable gear drop was dismal and will force you to buy at the Auction House for a better gear. I got booted out from my game if my connection is slow. The installation takes ages to finish. Hello 0% installation so I will Diablo 3 the same score here. I just finished single playthrough and I'm not inclined to play it game. Such dismal game design. This is not a Diablo game. Better play Torchight 2 or Titan Quest, these are better games. Expand
  35. Sep 25, 2012
    Passable as a game, but certainly the downsides hurt every aspect of it. The auction house means you're just grinding for gold to buy better items than you'll ever find, and of course you're stuck with it always being there since always-on DRM doesn't let you play offline. Just play Torchlight 2 if you want the true successor since those are the devs that made Diablo and Diablo 2 anyway.
  36. Sep 25, 2012
    I give this a 5 because it just can't seem to fall on one side of the fence towards good or bad. This game was very fun and new for Act 1, but it just becomes numbingly empty after that.

Perhaps in the future Blizzard will put out a better Diablo that has learned lessons from games such as Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2!

Come on Blizz, do better next time!
  37. Sep 25, 2012
    Amazing graphics. Fun story, but pointless after first play through. IF you enjoy the grind then the game is fine...otherwise it gets old fast. Feels like a player has to constantly buy stuff from the auction house for good loot and to progress in the game. Crafting rarely gives you anything of value.

They should have tuned normal to be nightmare difficulty to provide some challenge
    to the game up front. Expand
  38. Sep 24, 2012
    Oh...what to say that hasn't been said already by hordes of angry disappointed fans. This is the First BAD game that Blizzard releases. Plain and simple, that's how everyone will remember Diablo 3, (hopefully the first and last). Why?? How a company with so many resources, virtually unlimited for the gaming industry, and so much time could've got it this wrong? I kept asking myself and coming with the same answer every time: "Lack of talent". This new Blizzard Diablo 3 team and specially their lead designer are simply not good enough to make a game that lives up to the expectations of the Diablo fans. Aside the fact that the game was developed around the single and main purpose of serving as Cash-Cow for Blizzard, and the internet always requirement, No LAN support, horrible launch, etc etc...You could've still made a great game out of Diablo 3...if you didn't fail in the next 50 aspects of it. Some of which are Looting system (they simply didn't get the point of it), character progression through talents/spells/attributes (they gutted them in favor of simpler/streamlined game play), the removal of random map generation, and the lack of understanding on how to properly design a grind based point-click Action RPG' mobs (boring easy to One shotted and nothing in between). They just never got it. My opinion is this is due to their lead designer and Blizzard's greediness. I call what happened to Diablo 3: "FPS mentality". Their lead designer's FPS background clearly shows in every step of Diablo 3, and it's sad, because he could Expand
  39. Sep 24, 2012
    i have been waiting awhile to give D3 a chance cuase blizz does act they just need time but as it stands they are telling "you" the player what they consider fun and so change the game accordingly when you start having fun to prevent you once again the player from having fun in a game.
    Paragon leveling is such a gimmick and a huge time sink which is fine but the fact is they put a cap on
    magic find so any gold/real money u spent for magic find will eventually become worthless later on and just in general as the dwindling player base gains more paragon levels and need less magic find. Torchlight 2 just came out and ive had more fun with it in 8 hours then i have 200+ hours on D3. i give it a big zero becuase i payed 60$ for auction house tycoon: Real money edition, not a diablo game. Expand
  40. Sep 24, 2012
    People who like juice boxes, being told what to do, who have no self respect, and enjoy products that break all the time for no reason will love this game. Please, buy it, support Blizzard and their mentality that you are lucky to play this **** game.
  41. Sep 24, 2012
    I held out for a long time before I tried D3 because of the negative reviews. I am a huge fan of D1 and D2 and, like everyone else, have waited with bated breath for over a decade for this title. I finally broke down and bought the game and I can't accurately express how disappointed I am. The reasons are similar to other complaints but the biggest issue is that I simply don't like being treated like a child with ADHD. Diablo 1 and 2 were excellent precisely because of the complexity and tough choices that were entirely removed from this game. Those complex, hard decisions are in fact the very reason they were excellent games. What were the developers thinking? Did they honestly believe that lovers of D1 and D2 would be happy with all their choices being made for them? How did they come to this conclusion? Where are the customer feedback and fan forums where fans of the previous games were complaining that Diablo was too complex and needed to be dumbed down? How does Blizzard leadership allow such completely uncalled for and totally unnecessary design decisions to be made? Why would you so drastically change something that your fan base obviously loved? It's truly mind boggling. Honestly, the overall impression I get from the game design can be summed up perfectly with one word - Lazy. The sales may have made it appear to be a hit so far but I strongly suspect that the sales numbers from D3 reflect the hopes and expectations of fans that were giving Blizzard the benefit of the doubt (I certainly fall into that category) because they definitely don't reflect a well designed, intelligent game. I only hope Blizzard decision makers are able to come to the same conclusion. Expand
  42. Sep 24, 2012
    Diablo 3, somewhat a step back from diablo 2.

Though the graphics is much better, many of the original aspect of the game is lacking. First would be the skills and character build customization. With every patch, it just seems blizzard is changing the skills enough so people would stop using their current configuration and adopt a different one. Although it is debatable not selecting
    stats was a good thing, I feel it was just missing an aspect for you to actually explore different built path. Because of how they worked scaling, there could really be one stat allocation method anyways. So I guess it is a fine thing they locked the stats lvling since 90% of the stats come from equip anyways.

Diablo 3 had a rough start at first. Now Blizzard is putting forth more changes and making big improvements to the system. Now there are slightly more balanced skills minus some obvious mistakes of changing 300% to 1500% more damage (as the primary thing that pissed me off, how did they even release it like this). Regardless things are getting over simplified, skills are almost all the same across all players of the same class with every patch. Tried to make people have a choice, but in the end a few clicks away and change the entire build to adjust to the patch changes.

Crafting system for equipment is beyond terrible now. People can easily find ilvl 63 items and hope to get something alright than get a godly ilvl62 crafted item which is just equiv in stats to that ilvl 63. Diablo 3 did do well with letting people have individual drops. The norm and nightmare mode is reasonable for difficulty as well, letting fresh players have a lot of fun playing it. After that it is mostly gear grind or just spend a little on the auction house to get all the top gear and breeze through the difficulties (another aspect that really annoyed me, RMAH)
  43. Sep 24, 2012
    Painfull to play. its like getting punched in the face by the dev team every time you play. gaming is dead, gaming is dead, gaming is dead, gaming is dead.
  44. Sep 24, 2012
    This game had it's launch problems, then you could play it for a while and no the RMAH has turned into what many feared it would. There should have been an option to play this game without internet connection. It's a shame, the death of Diablo no doubt.
  45. Sep 23, 2012
    Terrible game. Absolute insult to customers, especially fans of diablo 1 and 2. Game completley ignores what made the first two great. Childish graphics, removal of sill trees and attribute points, loot is awful and predetermined as opposed to randomized loot like the originals, elimination of randomized dungeons(an aspect of the first two which was considered revolutionary), a ridiculous auction house and an even more absurd real money auction house that forces you to dish out real money to recieve any gear that is decent, a development team that repeadedly insults its custormers by ignoring them and telling them how they should play, and the worst part...No offline mode. If you enjoy terrible game design and being treated like a child, then this game is for you. Expand
  46. Sep 23, 2012
    The game tries a lot of new ideas not seen in its previous game. The rune system is unique and is a great replacement for synergies. However, build diversity is quite low unfortunately with only a few viable builds in the Inferno endgame. Itemization differs player to player. Its a lot more luck based then aiming for that Runeword combo or unique, making it a good experience when you find that item with the right combo of stats, but a terrible experience if you arent. Big improvement on boss fights. Constant connection is good or bad depending on where you live. If you are looking for a little flavour in your ARPGs but nothing revolutionary, this game has got it. Expand
  47. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game. It's main problem is that the rewards come more from the AH or the RMAH than from the pure gameplay. If you are a purist of the "I use only what I loot", good luck! Be ready to grind more than in a Korean mmo. Seriously. The real fun in diablo 3 is when you are already well equipped and so you can wipe dozens of monsters with a single hit. The graphic is good, the sound is excellent, you may experience quite often some lag due to the forced online singleplayer. If you can bear that and you like to grind like there's no tomorrow, well, Diablo 3 is the game for you. Expand
  48. Sep 23, 2012
    Let me explain why did I put "ridiculous" score as result of my HC experience during 300+ hours. Blind hardcore was fun, I admit it, but further gameplay turned out to be a true and evil korean style grinding fest. No atmosphere, poor design which is a mickey mouse toon if compare with D2 (hello, durance of hate), tiny locations and permanent fixes. Ok, I overcame this and played until paragon system cause I'm a die hard D2 fan. Grinding->selling->buying. AH killed the best possible social part of hack and slash - face to face trading. And as a final of this sad story I've lost my HC 60+10 bard which was on safe farm in act 2 due to lag. Sorry, this is it. I am not ready to invest more into D3 HC which requires tonns of time for progress to die after 100+ hours due to lag. My score means single positive memory of playing D3 - blind HC. After playing Torchlight 2 I feel myself so stupid for wasting time in D3. Expand
  49. Sep 23, 2012
    The people who give this game a low score in my opinion are unbelievable. Blizzard works their butts off for 12 years and they give us the same Diablo feel with better graphics and better gameplay. The skill system is better, allowing for so much more replayabiltiy. Sure it has its faults, like the constant connection thing, or the Auction House, but they dont change the gameplay of the original Diablos and that is great. Tie this along with new gameplay aspects, and fixed problems from the original games, along with Blizzard's well known skill at story telling with great cinematics and interesting characters, and you have one hell of a great game. Is it better then Diablo 2? Welll, it would depend on your point of view, but is Diablo 3 a must buy if you like action RPGs? 100% yes, I cant believe so many of you give it a low score based on some small things like the constant connection and the Auction House. Simply stated, if you liked Diablo 2, you will like Diablo 3, even with the small gripes that keep it from a perfect score, this game will hook you for hours on end with its various classes, endless amounts of loot, the flexible skill system that adjusts to your play style and the great story that Blizzard does so well at telling. Expand
  50. Sep 23, 2012
    I think its time for a new 'critic' website. I think people should have to give specific reasons why they gave a '0', because when they don't, it lets them get away with 'zero' scores. There is no way, you can assign a 'zero' score, to every component of Diablo 3. To try to do so, shows the level of idiocy and immaturty and lies that those assign 'zero' scores possess. It's utterly laughable, to suggest that a game of the depth and visual splendor that Diablo 3, deserves a 'zero' score. We all know that metacritic allows you to RIG the system, by now forcing people to 'explain' their scores. If someone doesn't explain their score, we should be allowed to force their score off the system, and without that option, this system is just simply rigged, and metacritic should be ashamed of themselves for offering such a pety, chlidish rating system and user ratings offering. Places like Gamespot, which I dont agree on all things with ( where is that even possible) has a decent system at least, as other similar sites do, where they MUST explain their scores for each component, or obviously be seen as INCOMPETENT and just lying. That is the problem with metacrtiic, and I refuse to come here anymore and see a rigged system in place, allowing people to post riciculously low scores. It doesn't hurt the game in the SLIGHTEST, and all it really does is show the hateful, childish immature remarks by some 'teenies' on here. It's that obvious LOL. Expand
  51. Sep 23, 2012
    Save your money or think twice before buy this game, too many bot inside the game, worst drop, boring gameplay, good graphic, good music but. RMAH is bad idea and no offline game play. After 360+ hours game play srsly this game make me sick.
  52. Sep 23, 2012
    I enjoy(not love it) the game before Inferno, but after that you can see why people is against RMAH, there is no way that you can do it if you don't buy items because. And always online is a real pain if you lose connection just for 1 second(for example if you have a Router and it assigned a new IP) you are out. And it has a real story problems! In my opinion it doesn't worth $60
  53. Sep 23, 2012
    When you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is the ruined gloomy/gothic atmosphere of the previous games. It just looks like you're playing Torchlight, but, to be honest, Torchlight was more addictive. Everything is so bright and cartooney, sometimes you can't even see your character. About the monsters design - I liked it. But the Diablo with **** was not so cool. Playing together with someone makes the game more fun and if I tried to walk it through by my own the user Score would be lower for sure. Summing up I'll say that this is an average game, not bad, not good, but still a lot of people will be playing it just because it's Diablo III. Expand
  54. Sep 23, 2012
    Ok, I put a 5 /10 like two months ago, I really thought that review I did was balanced. Many people found my last review helpful, but I was completely wrong. I will explain why I now think I what I wrote is completely off the mark.Here was my last review:

I will try to be objective. First of all I think it is unrealistic to give this game a 0 or a 10. It is neigther a total disaster or
    a masterpiece. I will try to explain the score I ahve given. First of all I consider myself a casual gamer. The games I buy I usually do from Steam and I wait for special offers. I do not mind playing old games and I do so for the fun. Diablo III is an exception. Diablo II was probably the game I most enjoyed playing in my teen years and I was willing to pay 60$ for Diablo III. I think the game is fun and a nice way to keep distracted when you are bored, but I am a bit dissapointed at what it offers given its price. Maybe its my expectations given the fun I had with Diablo II are the reason for my dissapointment. First of all, I do not like that all characters will eventually have the same skills... There is no room for thinking out new builds and try them out. Also, beeing a solo player, I was very surprised at the fact that I will need to play always online. I think that is a deal breaker for many people. First of all beacause I share my internet connection, secondly becasue if I pay 60$ I will want to have access to the game whenever I want. Online playing really is not necessary I think. As for the game itself, I am half way trough nightmare difficulty and it starts to feel like the level of difficulty of diablo II. Normal difficulty was a breeze but I am happy to see that the level of skill required and plannification of fights is required in the next levels. I am not really fussed about the story, but I have to say that after 12 years in development it feels a bit empty. As for the good aspects of the game, I think it all comes down to if you are having fun or not. I am having fun at the moment. I expected more for for 60$ though...... The game feels like a diablo game, the dungeons are a bit smaller than before, but the monsters are very similar, you can even recognice many of them from Diablo II. The boss fights aren't as challenging though.... Anyway, just to sum up. I am giving this game a 5 out of 10. The biggest deduction comes when taking in mind the relation of what you pay and what you really get. The game is simply not worth that price, and it really does feel as a game that could have been created in 2005 or 2006.... It surprises me from a company like Blizzard who usually delivers good products. The internet connection is simply not fair for solo players, and I don't really think it is needed. Anyway, if you want to spend your money in a Dungeon crawler I advise to anyone who is not sure about buying the game or not to wait for Torchlight 2, created by the same developers of Diablo II. You will get a very similar product for 1/3 of Diablo III price. Just don't rush to buy this game just because it says Diablo in its tittle. It is not terrible, but you will hardly have the fun you had with the previos games. Overall I am dissapoint, but will try to make teh best of it and have fun. I hope this review helps you make a decision. Have fun everyone!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After playing Torchlight II, I have to say that it delivers much much more than Diablo 2, which I only managed to play for 1 month before quiting. Getting what you get for Torchlight II at 1/3 of the price of Diablo III is just outstanding, its even hard to believe. The rewards, the progression, the customization, the atmosphere, the balance, but above everything else THE FUN!!!! All these things not only make Torchligh II an excelent game, but make Diablo III with 10 times the budget than Torchilight II a complete and utter failure 3 times as expensive and 3 times less polished.
    Really. If you read this do not buy Diablo 3. Do not make that mistake. The mistake I and many others made because we had a nice time playing Diablo II and thought Diablo 3 would be its continuation. It is not. Do not bother. Go for Torchlight. You can buy 3 copies and its still cheaper than diablo... I feel so stupid now... Hope this helps you! Have fun everyone!
  55. Sep 23, 2012
    Review reduced from 1 to 0 after playing Torchlight 2. This game is bad, but in comparison to TL is it down right horrible. Torchlight... Thank you...
  56. Sep 23, 2012
    Looks nice, plays like poop Avoid like the plauge. If you insist on playing it, at least play the free trial first so you can find out what a disappointment it is.
  57. Sep 22, 2012
    This was an ok game. The combat was good and the co-op online was fun. I also liked some of the art for the items. I enjoyed playing with my wizard until about halfway through NM. However, the negatives imo just avalanche the positives. The art style does not fit the series. It's too cartoony for the medieval, gothic theme of Diablo. I will say it is done well, but it does not fit. The itemization is the biggest flaw in this game. A combination of your weapon and your main stat for your character, are how damage is calculated. All other affixes on items are meaningless unless you have your main stat + vitality on items. This is a major flaw, because there is less space for fun attributes when the spot is filled by your stats, that D2's stat system handles. The affixes are boring on items. While as in Diablo II you had interesting and fun items with attributes like cast firebolt on hit, or a 12% chance to blind enemy on hit, in Diablo III, you are stuck with +stat, +stat+, .001 chance to freeze. Blizzard has taken their need to control and balance characters way too far, forgetting the fact that the Diablo series has always was been about being overpowered and slaughtering enemies. That was the fun part. I'll put it this way- in Diablo II, I felt like a God slaying all demons in my path and pillaging villages for tremendous loot. In Diablo III I felt like a miner hacking away in a coal mine all day, with a pickaxe, hoping to eventually find GOLD. Also, I find that the skills system and the removing of the stat system really annoyed me, in this game. I like to be able to customize my character and carve my own path through a game. This game does not give me the freedom to do that, when I am using the same build as everyone else. My final complaint with this game is the Auction House (Gold or RM). This was the worst decision ever for an ARPG. When I could buy items easily in the auction house that are much better than anything I could ever have a chance to find (because of the extremely low drop rates), what reason do I have to actually enjoy hunting for loot? I don't have fun looting in D3 and that is a major issue with the game. I am extremely opposed to the idea of play to win. I feel like you should have to play the game to benefit from the rewards. Maybe I'm crazy lol. Anyway, I would not recommend this game, but I would recommend Torchlight 2. It is a fantasic game, that you will love if you enjoyed Diablo 2 and can look past graphics. Expand
  58. Sep 22, 2012
    +Decent graphics. -Always online DRM, -Lack of skill diversity, -Connection errors, -Play to win, -Short story. This game is a step back from Diablo 2, so I recommend avoiding it.
  59. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is a failure of epic proportions. Never before had game industry seen such a huge discrepancy between expectations and final result. The expectations were high because the game was in development like 6 years with huge budget and Blizzard seemed to be a trustworthy company.

But in the end what we've got is a primitive skill and item system and abysmally small amount of content.
    You run 3 times through the same short acts, it gets boring after seeing them once, and then comes the whooping inferno mode where you see all the same stuff for the 4th time, only this time you have to run more around the elite enemies and the only point of your repetitive actions is the hope of getting a better equipment so you can kill things faster and die less often. This chance is not just small, it is negligible, only people with no life can get something good from killing mobs 15 hrs a day, others have to use the auction. The bad item drop is probably the main problem for most people judging by the battlenet forums, but those people aren't actually seeing the whole picture - even if we were given D3 without the auction house, the game still won't lose its crappy mechanics where the powerful builds become obvious pretty fast and you are doomed to use the same 6 skills without even changing them slightly on occasion (against different type of mobs, for example). If you do, you lose a very important magic finding buff. What's even more important is that weapon and equipment system is intentionally designed to be boring, so that only a few of possible affixes are useful. This leads to a situation where they are hard to get (Blizzard wants people to become frustrated and use RMAH), but also there is no such thing as different possible types of the same gear, there is only ONE possible good option and others are inherently bad, you can't choose a different direction in accumulating bonuses on equipment.

Fortunately, we have Torchlight 2 now, so we all can forget about this miserable failure and never play it again. Jay Wilson is not the guy who can make great games, he is just a stupid and arrogant fat guy. I hope karma punishes him hard for ruining the great franchise and crushing our dreams and hopes.
  60. Sep 22, 2012
    What a complete let down, and i have spent prob over 10,000 hours playing D1 and D2 but this game is just awful a shame of a game to carry the diablo name...........Diablo 1 was all about the atmosphere.....Diablo 2 was all about the grind and the magicfind.........Diablo 3 was all about the $$$$$$.......
  61. Sep 22, 2012
    Superbad game. Boring, money-making, over and over boring game. Blizzard, what have you done? Where is the spirit of the old "Blizzard North" of the original Diablo? Where? Oh, wait a minute...? It's runic's game "Torchlight II".
  62. Sep 22, 2012
    The gameplay is well known to everybody. I mean: it's quite the same as the other Diablos, with better graphics. That said. Constant connection? Incredibly bad. Because it's no use to gamers: just to Blizzard, so they can avoid piracy. I can understand wanting to keep your hands on the stuff you created, but if this means being unable to play far from home, and having constant lags and server queues/crashes, I call it a scam. Especially if it's being sold at a higher-than-usual price. Also: Real Money Auction House. Oh this is almost worse than constant connection. Do you really want competitive online gaming to become a matter of who is the richest? We have enough of that in real life. I say at least our games should play even, and be ruled by skill and experience. Expand
  63. Sep 22, 2012
    This is not a single player game. It's an MMO without the MM. Do NOT make the mistake to think that this game has a single player mode - it has a "play alone given that you have < 50ms latency on your constant on internet connection"- mode.

Want to play on the train? Forget it.
    Want to play on 3g connection? Forget it.
  64. Sep 22, 2012
    Diablo. The one game we all once loved (and still love) gone utter trash (d3) due to the blatantly idiots from blizzard. Total WoW system. Basically its World of Diablocraft. Only with a hack and slash system.
    Every true D1&D2 player knows that this is NOT diablo 3. I'm sad that this great title got ruined into bottomless void....
  65. Sep 22, 2012
    Why does Metacritic have a 10-point system. A simple "Did You Like It? Yes or No?" would suffice. The user-reviews in here are so rediculous it makes me smile. There is absolutely no way in hell this game is worth 0 (zero) points. But that is what everybody gives it when they have one or two gripes with it. I liked the game a lot btw, and had my fun throughout. I got an extremely polished game with a great single-player experience, and even better with friends. I dont play it anymore, because I got tired of it. I will however play the expansions to come.

If this score-system had any real thought behind it, I would have rated Diablo 3 av clean 8/10. But since everything said on here is angry kids with problems with their internet connections, I'll give it a 10 to compensate.

0 points? Are you people kidding me?
  66. Sep 22, 2012
    The more you put into a game, the more rewarded you should feel. Right? Not in Diablo 3...The game makes me feel like the more I put into it, the more punished I feel. Also, it is hard to get past the poor design and story, lackluster abilities, and that world of warcraft touch that shouldn't be overlapping into a Diablo game. I will be very hesitant and cautious when it comes to new titles from the company. Expand
  67. Sep 22, 2012
    Weak game, no skills points, no permanent character choices, insane grinding required, very very very laggy even now in September. Just not a very fun game, still addictive in a way but not worth even a quarter of its cost, lucky I got mine as a gift :P
    The game would be ok with end game content (current none exists), less grinding required, less gold farmers ruining economy, not having
    to play through 4 times per char, a skills or talent system, a bit more difficulty (currently difficulty is an item check, no player skill required) and offline mode!!! Expand
  68. Sep 22, 2012
    Waring: In this score, I'm not taking into account the Auction House, nor the always online requirement, nor the numerous technical problems with the game (including the fact there there is even lag in single player game, even now in September 2012). If I had taken this into account, it would have earned a 0.

However, even with not taking this into account, it is still a boring game.
    They boasted about the story, but it's almost incomprehensible at start, and when you begin to understand something, the fact that they always shove it in your throat at every occasion does not make it better.

Destructible environments: it's just a gimmick, nothing of value there.

The graphics : in fact not as good as was advertised everywhere

Gameplay: Just plain boring. It's a thing to make the enemies explode for each of your blows, but ater 15 minutes, you begin to understand that it's like blooming effects in bad FPS: just something to mask that under this, this is really shallow.
  69. Sep 22, 2012
    Compare to Diablo 2 this game is just a farm field for making cash, using the most boring skill system ever being released,doing over and over same annoying events and quests, listening the most boring and annoying Music. The only Act that really really makes sense to Diablo game is first, rest are boring and annoying, Act 4 was released with Rush, feels very empty and boring.
  70. Sep 22, 2012
    Tell me the point of a loot based game with no loot? Oh yeah, there is no point. As such, Diablo III is a failure and no sane person should waste their time on it.
  71. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is a complete failure, read the other comments to know why as almost all of them point to the same reasons. This is what happens when companies are too greedy.
    Do not waste your time in Diablo 3.
  72. Sep 21, 2012
    I really tried to like this game but when it comes down to it the devs tried to make their version of Diablo that fails in content, creativity and in listening to the community. Furthermore, if they don't like how the game is going they will change something in a quick fix with out telling the customer what they are changing and why. The game they released is practically a beta still since they are having to balance this, fix that, remove this and that which was thought to improve. Expand
  73. Sep 21, 2012
  74. Sep 21, 2012
    I was the biggest diablo and blizzard fan... diablo 3 released... I hate blizzard and diablo
    They pretty much butchered the whole series and the company in everyones eyes.
    This is the worst game release ever and tehy should all get fired and never develop a game ever again!
  75. Sep 21, 2012
    worst game ever the critics are as full of @*#^ as Blizzard is MAJOR FAIL Blizzard your company needs better writers and a overhaul. if i could do one thing with this game it would be to get my MONEY BACK or PUBLICLY BURN it so that no one will make the same mistake i made.
  76. Sep 21, 2012
    +good combat -auction house -developers and management -itemization -lack diversity and character identity -feels like an action adventure game God of War style and not an action rpg Diablo II style -bots dupers and exploiters -spam -nerf bats -$60 beta -false advertising -boring and dragging to reach inferno -linear and on rails -awful story, villains, heroes -rubber banding
    -always online and weekly maintenance for a single player game
    -diablo reboot, not sequel
  77. Sep 21, 2012
    Really doesn't feel worthy of the Diablo title. Just way too disappointing. Feels like yet another development pushed forward only because the developers knew it would rake in the dough almost as much as a new cod game. The creativity and feel of adventure is gone in place of a cheap thrill that wasn't even at all cheap. I have paid for a game and can not even start a single player... It is a sick joke... Give my money and wasted time back! Expand
  78. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is probably the most epic let-down of all gaming history ever. With the recent patch they actually stole the idea of a famous gamer fan and they did not even credit him for saving their lousy-ass game. Stupid blizzard thinks all about getting more money, what douche bags eh. Stick all that money up yo ass guys next time no one is buying your game!
  79. Sep 20, 2012
    I'm still waiting for an apology from Blizzard and I'll probably continue waiting. I waited for years, only for them to not even BOTHER to write a login queue. So there I was, for hours, typing my username and password in only to get "Error 34".

Once I got in, the next few hours were sweet... until I hit Inferno. Now, I thought, was a great time to play with others. So I joined a group
    of players and attempted Act I. We failed, I accepted that. I logged off for the night and went to bed, to try another day.

When I logged back on, my Character was stripped bare. All my money was gone. I had been hacked.

I contacted Blizzard only to get a reply blaming ME for their security flaws. I have NEVER been hacked in ANY game or account. They claimed my e-mail had been accessed, but this was untrue, I checked my Google logs and no-one had logged in overnight. I had no "password reset" e-mail.

I'm still waiting for an apology. I guess I'll just keep waiting.
  80. Sep 20, 2012
    This just might be the biggest let down and over hyped game of the decade. I wish i had waited to buy to it and had not gotten digital or i would have returned this months ago. Some may like the simplistic grind till you progress game play and the real money AH, but when you really look at the game and the classes you are left disappointed and just sad that the series could end up like this.,
  81. Sep 20, 2012
    Everything that make Diablo and Diablo 2:LOD fun was removed from Diablo 3. This is essentially a front end for the Real Money Auction House. Don't bother with this crap title. All the reviewers who gave it anything about a 70 were probably paid for their opinion.
  82. Sep 20, 2012
    I give this game a one because of the always on DRM and having to be online all the time. My problem with this is because I work in afghanistan and before here in Iraq since 2008. The internet here is horrible (depending on where your at) but overall it is unreliable and very slow. I like to play my games offline with singleplayer, but because of this issue of always being online i am unable to play. I tried it once, but it was so laggy when i was playing by myself i could not continue. Due to this terrible experience i have to say that, though Diablo 3 may be great, i am unable to determine because of the constant internet connection requirement. Please do not forget about the people over here, we love to play games too! Expand
  83. Sep 20, 2012
    I wanted to love this game. I really did. But the loot is abysmal and they patch so slowly that by the time they fix the broken loot system it could be 2014!!! I have hundreds of hours logged. Spent a small fortune on the RMAH (Yes I am a complete and utter fool for this decision). My only defense for doing so was after 250 hours and still having a crappy character with terrible gear I thought maybe the RMAH was my salvation. That's what's called desperation folks. And as I played into my Paragon Levels (20) I realized things weren't getting better. No good drops, laggy servers, a dead friends list from all the quitters, I give up, throw in the towel. D3 is a huge time and money sink. And the only reason you keep logging in is to hopefully catch that carrot that's always just out of reach. Don't waste your time or your hard earned money. Check out Torchlight II, that's a game that will give you your ARPG fix for years, and not get you into obnoxious credit card debt just so you can complete the game. Expand
  84. Sep 20, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a great game, great in every aspects which can keep you not to be addictive. I got tons of legendarys, only 2 after patch 1.04. 1 out of hundred rares is useful. It is a challenging game that tesing your EQ. With billions of skill combination, you rather stick with one build, and with NV buff, you won't change your skill(lose buff). Conclusion: Piece of crap
  85. Sep 20, 2012
    The game runs smoothly and looks pretty good but that's about all the it has going for it. It's extremely repetitive and the loot that you get just isn't enough to make the game enjoyable. Don't waste your money on this game.
  86. Sep 19, 2012
    This game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even on inferno with good team you can kill any mob or any boss without too much trouble. This game does not deserve 10 but it also does not deserve 0. I just expected more from Diablo. Expand
  87. Sep 18, 2012
    The Good: fun Beta, first runs through normal-nightmare-hell ok. Game mechanics ok. The Bad: Worst loot drop QUALITY ever! High rates, but all crap loot. Botters, friends of botters/dupers or people with fat credit cards have the good gear - no hope for others. Inferno Act 3 is a wall unless you purchase gear, which brings us to the AH/RMAH(see"ugly")
    The Ugly: Auction House & Real Money
    Auction House dominated by botters but required to get to end game which doesn't really exist, yet. High expectations from Diablo 2 may have been unfair, but D3 has been a disappointment & seems to drive players to the AH/RMAH. More recently server lag has made the game almost unplayable. Title should have been: "Grand Theft Diablo 2" Expand
  88. Sep 18, 2012
    The game is fun at first but after 10-15 hours it gets extremely boring. Drops are to simplistic and random. For example, a drop specific to a Monks or Wizards can roll Strength. That just doesn't make sense to me. I can see why it's possible to roll a crappy item, but to roll a item that there is no point using doesn't make sense to me? Make it roll like 10 intelligence or something instead of 50. Don't make it roll the complete opposite stat that makes it absolutely useless to the point where you won't pick it up or pick it up solely to vendor for 200 gold.

Stay clear and invest your money elsewhere. I'm still experiencing buyer's remorse. I purchased the game even though I saw many bad reviews from users. I just figured they were die hard fan boys that wanted the game to be exactly like Diablo 2. I took a chance and was hoping I'd like it even though it wasn't similar to Diablo 2. Change isn't always bad. However, in this case the game has changed drastically, Again, not always bad, but this case it was for the worse. I feel like this game should never have been released. It should have definitely been beta tested further than Act 1 Normal and had the AH implemented. This game was not nearly tested enough by the public. The game was only played through by the Development team who was obviously blinded by their own thoughts of what constitutes a good game. One which is obviously not shared by 90% of the gaming population. I hope this game gets better but I have a feeling the reason why changes such as drop rates and such have not been changed yet is because they are directly tied to the core of the game (hate to say it because everyone does but the RMAH). Therefore, to change such a feature in the game would require the game to be completely restructured (i.e might as well create Diablo 4). Hope this helps guys,
  89. Sep 18, 2012
    Diablo 3: A Soulless Soul . The last game I really played was D2.This was as a student and I felt like (now I am a grown up" adult) I could relive a part of that magical experience again, with the D3 release. Now several months later after the release and many hours it is V E R D I C T T I M E: . I REALLY REALLY TRIED to like it, but Diablo is no more......... I feel very bad for my characters, but they ARE Oversimplified ANDROIDS and they LIVE in a COMIC WORLD for 6 year OLDS that is based upon the Auction House MONEY Engine . I wish my Windforce Ama and my Vengeance Diablo Clone killer PALA could express to Blizzard how SAD they are.........
    how their offspring transmutated into this macTasteless de la Soulless Console Soup..... One good thing: Ninja Looting is no more. But they forgot how to make a good thing even better: shared loot should be an option that could be turned on... I'm crying now because It feels like an era of great gamedesign (D2, Baldurs Gate2 & Fallout 2 FTW) is gone forever...
  90. Sep 17, 2012
    If the abysmal user score and the fact that the game lost 65 percent of its player base in 3 months didn't tell you enough, I don't know what to say to you. The game basically forces you to buy everything using the Real World Auction House and the lack of end-game content makes it worth about six hours. Jay Wilson is an idiot and he should be fired and forever denied a job at Blizzard for what he did to an incredible series. Expand
  91. Sep 17, 2012
    El drop es el alma del juego, y en este diablo la cagaron, se jactan de hacer mejoras que a nadie les importa, lo unico que quieren hacer es llenarse los bolsillos de plata, son unos sinverguenzas
  92. Sep 17, 2012
    So I like the general art style, the rework of some of the more tedious game mechanics like clicking to pick up gold/restocking on potions, the idea of the blacksmith/artisan, and drops unique to the player. The in-game cinematics were new for the series and had potential. However, the art still feels too cartoony and outdated. Even from the initial screenshots they released years ago I was disappointed, but perhaps the transition from sprites to 3D actually lost some of what I liked about the style.

Some game mechanics were oversimplified and the "advanced" option when it comes to picking skills was not explained and hidden away in the game options. I did like how the skills worked in advanced mode, probably one of the better ways to transition from a skill tree. However, once you get to Infernal difficulty you have to stick with the skillset you picked or lose the extra magic find gained from killing elites... so that pretty much ruined experimenting and the versatile skillset. As for town portal and identify scrolls, I dont think I really miss them much, though being forced to kill monsters to get a scroll to go back to town was kinda fun since it made you change your playstyle a bit, especially if you were out of potions.

When I started, I used the blacksmith to build equipment that was better then what I found... however I soon realized it was a waste of money, it was cheaper to just buy stuff on the auction house. The stat rolls are random, so you would potentially have to build several pieces through the blacksmith before getting one that applied to your character, so instead you just picked what you wanted the stats to be on the auction house. And as for the auction house... I have somewhat mixed feelings on it. It seems like yet another thing they changed where it is convenient, but actually removes some of the fun and challenge. In diablo 2, you either went to trade games to show people your items, spammed trade channels, traded with people in the game you were in, or just played more to find items. Some may think that was tedious, but I think it encouraged players to start a new class for the items they found. Also, the real money auction house just makes it all seem like a ploy to get micro-transactions.

The in-game cinematics, although a step above what diablo 2 did in some ways, they were horrible in visual quality, dialog, and did little for character development. Also, if you play with others online, people just skip them... I still am not sure if I have seem them all. Not to mention horrible bosses like the butterfly Magdah and predictable Zoltun Kulle. Also, the bosses taunting you and saying how insignificant you are while u are on the way to them destroying their stuff is dumb, and seems only like a play to the younger audience.

The random map generation in diablo 2 was also a big feature lost in diablo 3... perhaps it is technically difficult to accomplish, but is a big win when it comes to re-playability.

Also, many people I know didn't play all the way to inferno... I think that is because they should have removed normal or nightmare difficulty and just stuck with 3. There really isn't much of a change from normal to nightmare and it just turns away people that are already bored with the ease of normal difficulty.

And speaking of inferno, what a joke. The elites are just ridiculous. You either have ones that are relatively easy to kill or are impossible. Perhaps this wouldn't have been so annoying if there was a steady progression of difficulty, allowing you to adapt and change item and skill builds, but the damage from elemental stuff is just super spiky. Stand in fire for a second or get hit by a lazor turret (which doesn't fit into the diablo universe btw), you are dead from full hp. And perhaps the worst part is if you are fighting elites for too long they get an aura that drains your life more and more quickly while also dealing more damage. So if you go tank build with less damage you will die anyways... or your damage dealers will die while u sit there tickling the monsters.

I did play over 160 hours, but that is just a show of how much I wanted to like the game. So if you want to play something that starts fun (mostly because of nostalgia) and then gets boring, and then punishes you while your love for a genre of game slowly dies, then get this game. Otherwise, wait and hope for the next Diablo or a series of big patches.

**SPOILER**

Finally, whoever thought it was a good idea to kill off an iconic character to the series, should be fired. At the very least kill Cain off in a highly detailed cinematic... perhaps while he is killing Diablo himself. The only surprise in the story was Cain died to a butterfly... come on!
  93. Sep 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm very disappointed with the game. I paid 55 euro and I get nothing for that money. You don't get anything new or different than an updated Diablo 2. I have played only a few hours with the game and that's it. It's boring and there is no fun at all. This is the worst game of the decade. Expand
  94. Sep 13, 2012
    This game is great until you get to the hardest difficulty. Once you hit that the game becomes so hard its unbearable. If you don't plan on replaying it over and over then its a good (not great) dungeon crawler but if you are like me and expected something close to Diablo 2 with the hardest difficulty actually being possible then don't be surprised when you are forced to use the auction house to advance any further in the game. I put likely hundreds of hours into Diablo 2 over multiple years, that will not be the case with this game as I have no desire to ever go back and play it. Expand
  95. Sep 13, 2012
    Thx Blizzard for ruining my favorite franchise. No offline play, no PvP, horribly short campaign and difficulty scaling that was not properly beta tested.

Good thing Guild Wars 2 is out now. D3 = Uninstalled.
  96. Sep 13, 2012
    I'm not going to lie, I had high hopes for this game and it turned out to be the biggest anticlimax of my life. If the game was as brilliant as the marketing used to sell it, then I and millions of other people would still be playing. Unfortunately the repetitiveness and lack of addictive gameplay forced me to uninstall the game after 6 weeks and has changed my view of Activision Blizzard forever.
  97. Sep 13, 2012
    There is no replay value. The game starts out great and fades quickly! I have not logged in for months and refuse unless an expansion is released. Playing the same missions over and over is not what I want to do. If I could I would return the game.
  98. Sep 13, 2012
    What a boring piece of crap, there's nothing to do but farm generic looking lousy stats having items. You want godly items? Too bad, you ain't gonna have them unless you use 1 of the auction houses. No matter who you kill on what difficulty the drops gonna suck more than porn stars. Graphics make the game look like some retarded cartoon, the music...Hell. What music? There's no music, just some monotonous below average generic melody playing but it can be hardly qualified as music. Voice acting would probably impress WOW virgins(due to their low standards)and casuals, gameplay isn't bad but there's nothing innovative about it. Game is as short as a midget on all fours playing twister. No depth, no character customization, only few skills are worth using while others are utterly useless. Lots of effects but they aren't necessary since the skills you use are weak as anorexics left hook. I piss in a zig zag pattern on this game and if I saw that ugly chubby gnome Gay Wilson I'd beat him up with a keyboard. Expand
  99. Sep 12, 2012
    The game is **** its nothing good, don't play it. I even heard Diablo II is better. WAY to repetitive, nothing new, and i feel like i was in the 96s when diablo first released.
  100. tdc
    Sep 12, 2012
    The story is very cliche and predictable. The graphics are incredibly lackluster based on both the release date and the development time. The game play feels okay; the combat isn't bad. The constant patches keep changing loot and skills and etc. which grows tedious. After you reach the maximum level, re-roll and do it again, and realize that grinding at 60 is still boring, all that remains is a shell of what used to be Diablo; it leaves you feeling just so,
    empty.
  101. Jul 11, 2012
    1)It's not Sanctuary, it's **** with rabbits and rainbows 2)Crafting - useless **** 3)Items with retarded stats (Crossbow with +for witch doctor skills lol) 4)Auction is very raw atm. 5)RMAH - Official donate, pay to win. 6)Drop chance extremally low and legendary/set items useless 7)Gameplay - very boring gameplay. Again and again cloned mobs in same maps (no random maps 8)Achiv - Most idiotic achiv what i see
    9)Useless secret level