3.9

1. Dec 1, 2014
    This game don't look like best H&S ever. But it should be after several years of production, previously experience and budget etc. They probably spend most of that time on think how much money get from that "product". It is all reason of where it lead to. This title is not worth any attention anymore.
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    Just take a look to all positive reviews claiming things like: A) This is not like Diablo 2 but a good game, B) Not more mistakes on choosing skills because you have them all! C) How good was simplified, D) Forced online prevents that sometimes you could meet a cheater having to save & exit... etc.

Now look at all negative reviews claiming... exactly the same! So we agree on the same things: A) for good or for bad is not more the Diablo concept, B) is not more A-RPG just Hack'n Slash, C) was dumbed for consoles/casual players, D) has the worse of DRM systems and of course can't be modded.

We're all right: may be a good casual adventure if would be called "World of Diablo", but I bought a game named "Diablo 3", and if also I don't enjoy "casual adventures" this game worth nothing to me, agreed?

Finally I'll avoid talking about the Real Money Auction House present before the expansion because they couldn't maintain such shame for long time, but that explains a bit what happened to Blizzard...
  3. Nov 12, 2014
    A hollow sequel with a punishingly unfair economic system that makes no sense and takes the fun out of playing. How anyone takes that long to make a game worse eludes and confuses me.
  4. Nov 8, 2014
    In first place (in terms of gameplay) Diablo 3 has NOTHING in common with its "predecessor" more than the point & click isometric system. Diablo 2 is ARPG while Diablo 3 is Hack'n Slash, i.e. has banished all "RPG content" from the game, so at max level your character will be exactly the same of all characters in the entire game only differentiated in items like each kind of non-rpg games.In first place (in terms of gameplay) Diablo 3 has NOTHING in common with its "predecessor" more than the point & click isometric system. Diablo 2 is ARPG while Diablo 3 is Hack'n Slash, i.e. has banished all "RPG content" from the game, so at max level your character will be exactly the same of all characters in the entire game only differentiated in items like each kind of non-rpg games.

The game itself is absolutely CASUAL in each possible level, you can use all your skills at any time and they are not leveled, new features as paragon and such are only extensions of a boring and unrewarding game system in which if you "end" any possible progression obtaining certain items, that closes the opportunity to make builds playing with stats and skill trees...

But maybe the worse is its "DRM" system without offline mode, so you can't play it without a connection even in single player campaign, and of course you can't improve it with mods, so, you has a "successor" of a game with Offline, LAN and Online, but without two of its game modes, is one of the few times in which a successor has LESS than its predecessor...

I will not mention the "Pay2Win" from earlier version but shame of you Blizzard for convert the best ARPG franchise in a parody at each possible level, shame!

I finish my disclaimer pointing that its "expansion" (that is not an expansion but a different game, should be named "Diablo 4"), has changed almost ALL of the gameplay confirming (directly from Blizzard itself) that the original Diablo 3 sucks.

Blizzard, I will never forgive you, you can be awesome in the rest of your games but converting Diablo 3 in a MMO like WoW (and its "expansion" confirms this tendency) is a crime against the people who made this franchise famous.
  5. Oct 24, 2014
    This game is so flawed that it actually needed an auction house component to be playable. Since that component has been removed, the game is beyond redemption. It deserves the trash can. An embarrassment to the Diablo name.
  6. Oct 4, 2014
    Everything has been already said. Fortunately i have not bought this game, just played beta and in 1 free beta weekend and i knew this game is gonna be bad. Released 11 years after D2 LOD, and it's cut. It doesnt even contain half of old game features, and these are the most important things like skill tree, attributes points and so on. D3 is designed just to GRIND, just like WOW, you walkEverything has been already said. Fortunately i have not bought this game, just played beta and in 1 free beta weekend and i knew this game is gonna be bad. Released 11 years after D2 LOD, and it's cut. It doesnt even contain half of old game features, and these are the most important things like skill tree, attributes points and so on. D3 is designed just to GRIND, just like WOW, you walk milion times to kill the same bosses and get items, yeah i know D2 was about this too, but there you could build characters in milion diffrent ways, playing sorcerer with two-handed axe if you want. This was freedom, And what about D3? Click on monster, kill it, get items and thats basicly it, nothing more. It maybe fun to play with friends, beat all levels and stuff, but what then? Uninstall. I have not been that disappointed in a loong loong time. Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2014
    Let me start by saying I made a Metacritic account JUST to make this review.

Let me start by saying I made a Metacritic account JUST to make this review.

I've been a Diablo fan since the release of the original Diablo. I've been a Blizzard fan since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. I bought this game based on the opinions of fellow friends that seemed to have good taste in gaming. Many people praised it's incredible gameplay, awesome multiplayer action that would extend for days beyond it's release.

When I first started, the plot seemed exactly what I wanted. The hero is almost immediately involved, checking out the damage done by the meteor that hit the hall. As the cutscene continued, the dialogue kept losing credibility, lots of gaps were made in the unholy plot and the writing was definitely written for a 5th grade audience. These were things I kind of expected. I read a few of the books after playing diablo 2 and they were good when I was a teenager. But this plot? Jesus, don't get me started. I actually spent a good while laughing at the crummy dialogue.

Let me tell you this plot is pretty basic and extremely lackluster compared to the previous two. I beat the game, not once was I hooked or compelled by the story. I don't know how they managed to write such a mediocre plot within YEARS of development. This game is f*cking atrocious in far more aspects than just story, however.

Lets list the problems with the gameplay. First, the skill tree doesn't really require you to know what synergy is. It's practically non-existent. When I first started playing, the visuals were pretty astonishing, but that's not saying much. It looks like WoW that takes place in a graveyard/hell/whatever halloween-related **** setting. It wasn't even mildly horrific. So, then you go on to complete somewhat mundane quests, following the path that blizzard set out for you. The plot line is linear, but even MORE linear than the second! You literally have a check list of things they want you to do and procedurally go through them mindlessly. Normally, I can dig it. It's just the story left such a **** taste in my mouth that I got bored by the third act! I decided to push further, just to beat the game to give a holistic response to this game.

Also.. The BUTCHER? In DIABLO 3? A reused character? Laughable. At least the bosses in D2 were unique and interesting (not to mention, characterized to the setting..)

Items... Let's look at how uncharacterized the items are. Everything boils down to Damage, toughness, healing. This is the naive approach. However, it does delve deeper than that. What's with the ridiculous stat increases? It's unnecessary and makes it slightly harder to estimate. Loot is pointless. There's no dynamic character building because your character gets all the f*cking skills. What's the point? I hardly want to perfect ONE character, much less several different characters that have unique attributes (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T).

No chatrooms. Awesome. One of the most memorable things about Diablo/Starcraft is gone. How did this sound like a good idea? Just make it an option for people who want it.

No making games with actual NAMES to join. Another non-intuitive thing blizzard made by REMOVING features. When is removing features a feasible options to improve a game? It's almost comical.

I don't know if I covered everything about this game that I dislike. I think I threw in a few redeeming qualities but it wasn't much.

Bottom line is, I don't give two sh*ts whether or not your servers work the first time I log in or not if the gameplay is horrid. The fact people are rating this game on that is absolutely absurd to me.

Also, Blizzard fanboys are blinded to crappy games. Not my problem anymore.
  8. Sep 15, 2014
    My all time favorite game is Diablo 2. So coming from that game, I was expecting Diablo 3 to be something at least equally as amazing, or better. Well, as it turns out, it was a huge disappointment, even after giving it a BIG chance playing the game entirely from beginning to end. Here's what I noted:

CONS - The game is way too easy on normal. I did get very lucking finding magical

CONS
    - The game is way too easy on normal. I did get very lucking finding magical items that gave me a combination of very high intelligence, vitality, and life regeneration (so my character was practically immortal and very strong). I think the inherent problem here is that the guys at Blizzard didn't think things through all the way and didn't correctly balance out character stats vs AI stats, making it extremely easy to kill AI monsters when increasing certain character attributes. In Diablo 2, even when finding very powerful weapons and armor, you still had a hard time killing bosses and such on Normal mode. In this game, I literally killed Diablo in 60 seconds.
    - Music was weak. Although a very minor detail to most, I feel like the soundtracks throughout gameplay in Diablo 2 were alot better and gave the game a very different feel, more mystical and creepy.
    - The cinematics weren't amazing (except for the one for the last Act, which was impressive). In Diablo 2, I remember feeling thrilled watching every cinematic for each Act.
    - I think it was so stupid not being able to use my equipped weapon. You're always forced to use your Left or Right mouse buttons for a specific skill you choose, and your weapon's damage is the determining factor of how much damage your skill does. That's stupid. You should be able to use your weapon freely, and it should have its own damage, and your skills should have their own damage and you should be able to use those separately.
    - I thought the characters looked pretty weak. I selected a wizard, and my character just looked like an adolescent. In Diablo 2, I remember the necromancer looking strong and powerful in the character selection screen (again, probably for minor detail for some, but for me it was just another little thing that showed me there was lack in attention to detail in this game).
    - Big lack of content. I was able to beat this game very quickly and go through the Acts fast. I feel like Diablo 2 had alot MORE maps and places to go in every Act.
    - Having to be always online to play the game was a HUGE mistake. I have one of the fastest internet service packages on the market, and even with that I still experienced lag many times while playing the game. It was extremely annoying hitting barrels and watching it shatter 10 seconds later.
    - I don't like that you couldn't really increase your Arcane Power (which used to be your Manna). Sometimes, you would find loot that would alter it by a couple points, and leveling up never increased it. Thats just stupid. A wizard, which is what I was, should have very high Arcane Power, Low Health points.
    - You never really used potions here. Minor detail, but I liked how Diablo 2 had a wide range of potions you could use for different benefits. Here, non-existent, just a Health Potion you rarely used because either your equipment gives you insane amount of health regeneration or theres tons of health globes laying around (I didn't like the health globes).

PROS
    - Graphics are an improvement.
    - Being able to remove gems from socketed items is an improvement, as well as combining gems to craft better gems. Huge plus.
    - I like that you were able to craft items using an Artisan, which before, in Diablo 2, was only restricted to the Horadric cube. Even though most of your good items will be found in loot, I was still able to craft 1 armor item that was better than what I currently had equipped.

I will say this, is the game entertaining? Yes. Is it better than many other games out there (because I do think alot of games out there in the world are just crap)? Yes. Is it worth the buy? Sure, but don't expect this to be as good as Diablo 2, because it really isn't.

I will finish by saying this, and I hope the guys at Blizzard see this. I am truly disappointed that after making millions of dollars and having had so many years to develop a good game, that Blizzard deviated so far from the original game. You should really stick to the basics to what made a previous game amazing, and not try to reinvent the wheel, just improve on things, not completely change it.
  9. Sep 10, 2014
    This is one of the worst games in the last decade. To give you an idea how broken Metacritic review system is: Over 5 thousand people logged into this site to warn you how bad this game is and that doesn't effect the "Metascore" at all. Instead it is currently rated 88 with only 1 negative review, Metascore is a separate reality. I would suggest ignoring it and reading user reviews.`
  10. Sep 5, 2014
    12 years on and Blizzard is still only able to take a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps it could be said Diablo 3 is so bad because Diablo 2 was so good, but it seems so much effort was put into recreating a "new" and easy to play version of Diablo 3, that the developers lost sight of what really matters for video gaming, fun. The writing and the story are absolutely terrible, the

The writing and the story are absolutely terrible, the loot was poorly designed, the procedural generation has too many static elements for fun variation, the boss fights aren't particularly exciting, and the advancement skill gap at higher levels is stupidly unbalanced and made the actual viable class/skill choices terribly narrow.

The RMAH ended up not working for them at all, except for the reasonable amount of money it made Blizzard with huge fees. Honestly it was decently fun to use and I'm sure some people farmed, or bought all their items. And maybe the RMAH Gold Hall were used more than was intended, but honestly, trading was always a big part of original Diablo because there were actually items worth getting and things worth crafting.

Now even that's going away. Instead of taking the time to remove a feature, maybe take some more time to make an actual game. 12 years obviously wasn't enough.
  11. Aug 22, 2014
    "Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer"Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer less than its predecessors? And new features was only to destroy the playability like real money, while new features that could improve the game like mod support were discarded... the shameful casualization of Blizzard. Expand
  12. Aug 11, 2014
    I remember my hp having a RPG similar to Diablo3. the greater differences however is that the hp game had more; character classes, actual character customization, it was FREE!,The list could go on Diablo 3 is a bastardization of what a good game should be, and i am ashamed that i spent any money buying a copy.
  13. Aug 2, 2014
    The game is nowhere near what Diablo 2 was. The action is too spectacular, even at level 1 you're making visually incredible attacks.
    Also, the game is dumbed down like hell, you can't make mistakes whatsoever, so don't think, just play... If you want a fire mage, go for it, no problem, if you want an ice mage, just change your skills, nothing chains you in any way, it's like none of your actions make a lasting impact, you can't specialize a character besides equipment.

The other major fault of the game, in my opinion, is that you can't really think about how to play, if enemies are too strong, they always kill you, you can't think of ways of getting away with it because when you start attacking an enemy you're stuck with it, it will follow you everywhere and most of the times the only way of healing yourself is hitting enemies, so you die if you stop hitting but you die if you keep hitting, there's never a way to escape, so you don't actually get to choose anything, things just happen...

To sum up, if you want a game where you don't have to think of anything, just spend some time watching effects, this is ideal.

If you want your decisions to make an impact whatsoever, just stay away from this, because the few decisions you can make, won't even have an impact.
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    AVOID THIS GAME! Biggest joke of the decade and played off the hearts of Diablo fans everywhere.

After 2 1/2 years, the game is a disaster. They are adding ladders and greater rifts and both are nothing but recycled content. they have not even tried to fix the core issues, you are forced to play fire elemental specs because that is the only kind of gear in the game. They say they want you to play the game, the way you want to play it, but if you want to be able to clear content, or get the type of gear you need, you will have to play how Blizzard designed the game, and that is to play fire.

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  15. Jul 28, 2014

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  16. Jul 19, 2014
    I didn't fall for the hype, Didn't buy the game. Now Blizzard is offering a free demo. The game was made in 2012, but right from the start, it feels like I could have been made in 2005. I've played plenty of rpgs and diablo spinoffs, but this "official" Diablo feels like a spinoff itself, but a cheap one, that could have been made by a kickstarter effort from a few thousand dollars.
    In
    In 2014 (or 2012 for that matter) no character customization is an absolute no go.
    Poor inventory handling is an absolute no go.
    Poor interaction menu is an absolute no go.
    I truly feel like I'm playing a game from 10 years ago, not 2 years ago. It was acceptable for Diablo II to look and play the way it looked and played, but it's totally unacceptable in 2014 (or 2012).
    We had RPGs already, that done plenty of innovation in many aspects to the genre, none can be found in D3. Not sure if it's the stubborn Blizzard idea or somehow it's a design "feature".
    If I want to use a metaphor, imagine buying a car today for the same price as all the others, but upon sitting into it, you realize, it's equipped like a car from the 80s. 13 inch wheels, drum brakes, cassette player only, no remote lock or alarm and the seat feels like an old used sofa and it smells like mildew inside. All, for a premium price. It would be the laughing stock of the world, and so D3 should be.
  17. Jul 10, 2014
    When I played, Diablo 3 was a greedy auction house fest, with loot algorithms designed to force people to buy items from each other while giving Blizzard a cut of the money spend. Considering the price of the game and the impact it had one quality of game play, this was extremely unacceptable.

They supposedly fixed these issues and removed the auction house in the mean time, so my review from back then is no longer valid. Not gonna waste more money or time on the game though, so I'll just set my score as close as possible to the average player score and then clearly state that I have no idea if the game still sucks in the current version.
  18. Jul 5, 2014
    Outside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a gameOutside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a game for this little black duck. Expand
  19. Jun 27, 2014
    Simply put, Diablo 3 is not a Diablo. anymore. i would've been more generous at my scoring if it were named differently instead of tricking us that we have purchased a sequel to Diablo.
  20. Jun 5, 2014
    Games are about entertainment. You're supposed to have fun. However diablo 3 bored me from the very beginning. Previous installments in the series immersed me but this one really pales in comparison.
  21. Jun 5, 2014
    worst arpg I have ever played. the devs have no clue. its so bad their lead dev is now a joke in the industry. blizzard has lost a lot of fans with this game
  22. May 28, 2014
    The worst game ever seen for Bli$$ard+Activi$$ion. Take your Money and RUN.... Seriusly GARBAGE.
    not recommend purchase. Is a BETA version of the biggest crab Diablo III , just a BIG SHAME, the biggest scam of all history of Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion.
  23. May 20, 2014
    Este juego es la mayor basura creada por Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion: -No es divertido -no es bueno -NO recominedo su compra -No se puede ni jugar la mayoria de las veces por lag -No puedes encontrar buenos items por que esta todo NERFEADO para que el juego se alarge y tengas que jugar mas de 10 puñeteros años para poder jugar su Hihg-end. -No se puede jugar el modo hardcore por que hay MUCHOEste juego es la mayor basura creada por Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion: -No es divertido -no es bueno -NO recominedo su compra -No se puede ni jugar la mayoria de las veces por lag -No puedes encontrar buenos items por que esta todo NERFEADO para que el juego se alarge y tengas que jugar mas de 10 puñeteros años para poder jugar su Hihg-end. -No se puede jugar el modo hardcore por que hay MUCHO lag y te desconectas siempre
    -Los servidores son una autencica BASURA
    -Blizzard solo vende Mierda a precio de oro y luego se rie en la cara de sus clientes
    -No tiene un buen servido de atención

Basicamente es la mayor Basura que ha creado bli$$ard para sacaros el dinero y reirse de vosotros en vuestra cara. Collapse
  24. May 6, 2014
    bad game i told on chat noobs and i get warn by suport for my imagine bad behavior for caling baters noobs suport is bad same as this company 0 good legendary drop this game sux
  25. Apr 20, 2014
    Too much soap, cartoon engine. Don't waste your time and money on this game. It's not even close to Diablo 2 or even Diablo 1. Blizzard is just trying to use it's famous title to milk customers.
  26. Apr 17, 2014
    Garbage in every way compared to Diablo II but world of warcraft fans will like this crap. The Blizzard that made Diablo I and II is dead and so is the series. RIP
  27. Apr 17, 2014
    Unfortunately D3 does not live up to its predecesors. Blizzard seems to create a singleplayer ARPG but they are doing MMO balancing every few patches. it allready pissed me off big time getting nerfed in wow because of pvp concerns,but nerfing classes and items in a non competitive singleplayer game with co/op is just ridicolous. if you want to play a good arpg there is plenty more funUnfortunately D3 does not live up to its predecesors. Blizzard seems to create a singleplayer ARPG but they are doing MMO balancing every few patches. it allready pissed me off big time getting nerfed in wow because of pvp concerns,but nerfing classes and items in a non competitive singleplayer game with co/op is just ridicolous. if you want to play a good arpg there is plenty more fun stuff out there. check out torchlight I & II for example. they are more diablo than d3! Expand
  28. Apr 11, 2014
    Wow, don't buy this game. It looks exactly like WoW. Level cap is 60, expansion is 80? Hmm...sounds familiar...............................................
  29. Apr 11, 2014
    Updated my review for the expansion.

Updated my review for the expansion.

Blizzard has taken leaps to improve this game but after leveling another character I feel it is still lacking something fundamental, fun. The skill trees are still lacking in variety but this isn't the main issue as D2 had this same plan. If I had to pick the main thing that really annoys me about this game.. it would be the story. For me, this story is lacking so much more than the original had and the loot system still isn't as rewarding as many would have you believe. In fact, the improved loot system seemed to just make the game much easier at higher levels. I literally almost fell asleep while playing.

This could be a different story with the expansion. However, I refuse to pay $40 for an expansion after having my trust in blizzard ripped away from me. Many of you may be fine with companies that extort you but I have a fundamental problem with them and refuse to support them with my very hard earned money. Any who would argue against their extortion is blind to what happened with their DRM in the auction house and how you could pay nearly as much for an expansion that is majorly just a fix for what shouldn't have been a problem in the first place? Granted it has a new act and class and I would have payed 40 for it without question if all of the issues hadn't come about in the first place. Blizzard has lost my trust and will have to earn it back. Considering trends of other big box production companies, I doubt they will even care enough to try.
  30. Apr 8, 2014
    I came from the originals. Diablo and Diablo 2. Played the crap out of both those games. This game though, is a total failure. I can't even justify giving it a partial score, it's just a broken game! Lets start with the basics. The storyline? Very linear and bland. The graphics? Way too cartoon-like. The mechanics? Poorly executed and poorly driven. The overall action element? There isI came from the originals. Diablo and Diablo 2. Played the crap out of both those games. This game though, is a total failure. I can't even justify giving it a partial score, it's just a broken game! Lets start with the basics. The storyline? Very linear and bland. The graphics? Way too cartoon-like. The mechanics? Poorly executed and poorly driven. The overall action element? There is none. You feel like you're watching your character instead of playing. And the big kicker... ONLINE ONLY PLAYING! WHY???

Blizzard needs to learn a lesson about this game. You cannot make a fan of the series wait this long for a game and then shovel tons of brown gunk down their throats. I paid full price for this game, $69.99. It was way way way WAY over priced and was not worth my time in the long run.

Blizzard also needs to learn that capitalism does not work in the gaming industry. You only trap STUPID people when you jack up the price of crap. The smart people will eventually avoid you as a developer in the long run.

The next thing to break me away from Blizzard completely will be when they introduce micro-transacting. That will be the point at which Blizzard is no longer in it for making good games, they are in it totally for the money.

Shame that a developer has to go down this path...Shame...
  31. Apr 11, 2013
    This rating is not based in DRM. Is based in gameplay.... the worst gameplay ever. A point and kill game. I dont know why people can say it has "good graphics". Come on, pixeled characters?, fuzzy grass? shadow trees? Nothing has good resolution or detail or style (and yes, Im playing it in the Highest detail with 3GB in VRAM) Repetitive as hell, you have seen everything in the first 30This rating is not based in DRM. Is based in gameplay.... the worst gameplay ever. A point and kill game. I dont know why people can say it has "good graphics". Come on, pixeled characters?, fuzzy grass? shadow trees? Nothing has good resolution or detail or style (and yes, Im playing it in the Highest detail with 3GB in VRAM) Repetitive as hell, you have seen everything in the first 30 minutes. Since then, just point and kill. A Well deserved 0 for this "game". Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012