3.9

1. Jun 5, 2012
    Given the time they spent on the game, the final release is far away from what I anticipated. Launch night was a complete failure and could've been avoided by their parts. Even "renting" some aditional servers if money was a factor (which I can't image was), the launch could've been smoother. Three days after launch I could finally log in to the game. But even then the gameplay was often interrupted by the now legendary errors.

The gameplay is the same old classic Diablo, except the difficulty curve is terribly blunt. From almost one shotting everything to struggling with an insane randomly generated champion pack in inferno. The game is based upon countless hours spent on farming the exact same questline over and over again to gain gold or gear. However the gear that drops are so horribly randomized that your best bet is to aquire gold and buy decent gear from the AH. But there's comes a point after your 20th one-shot death where you start to think "What the hell am I doing here? What the hell is the point? This is actually pretty boring."

The replay value becomes pretty dull awfully fast, when replaying the whole game again in Hell mode.

Most people are against the whole internet connection concept of the game. I can see that this is a problem for many, however I kinda like it. Well I would like it if it worked. It doesn't. Still to this date the connection errors and endless hours of trying to log in are still an issue.

I am rating this game at 4. Giving it a flat 0 or 1 wouldn't be fair because I did still spend alot of hours playing it. It was entertaining enough, but after a few years, all I will remember will be all the errors.
  2. Jun 24, 2012
    One of the most disappointing games of 2012. I was really looking forward to this game since I stopped playing Diablo 2 in 2004. I was in the beta and the first 15 levels up to skeleton king showed lots of promise. The graphics while not cutting edge are crisp, the environmental effects are done well, and the spell animations are great. Unfortunately what the beta did not test (and I really wish it did!) was the end game. There are tons of issues why Diablo 3 fails at this, but here most of them in list form: 1) Blizzard's decision to allow ultimate flexibility with skills/specs, but at the same time limiting spec changing is just poor design. There is nothing fun about feeling like you can spec in numerous ways to overcome unique challenges, and then have to maintain some stale spec for the majority of your level 60 experience. Don't get me started if you accidentally mouse click near your skills as you can drag the skills off and reset your buff that gives you extra chance at finding gear the more elites you kill (stacks up to 5). As a demon hunter there are very few viable builds that will allow reliable killing of elite packs -- which is really where the end game is. 2) This brings me to my next point, killing elite packs that sometimes have insane affixes is not fun. Invulnerable minions and some other combinations are near impossible. Sometimes these mobs are positioned in areas where you can't actually progress unless you lure them away into a corner after repeated deaths. Sometimes the best solution is restarting the game which in my mind shows that this is also pretty bad design. 3) Blizzard gives us mixed messages on item stats. At one point they want you to be able to kill things quickly (hence the enrage timers), but on the other hand you sometimes need ridiculous amounts of defense stats to withstand normal wear and tear of battle. Gear that has the ideal mix of defense/offense is like winning the lottery. 4) Essentially the worst part of Diablo 3 is the fact that despite how long you may farm inferno and I have for weeks, you really never get anything decent. The amount of crap loot I've got for doing the same thing over and over again in Act 3/4 on inferno is mesmerizing. Accumulating gold requires playing hell or Act I inferno (where the chance to get good items is 2% or less, so its just gold farming). Since when is gold farming good game design? 5) Lastly the fact the real money auction house is even available despite the fact that over 2-3 weeks of farming nearly nightly for 2-4 hours I did not receive one upgrade from my demon hunter (with my friend playing as well) makes me think Blizzard wants this game to make money for them rather than have any good design or enjoyment. Lastly, haphazard patches with very little communication of what's changing or stealth nerfs makes me think this game really isn't salvageable. Extremely disappointing game with what could have been huge potential. Expand
  3. May 16, 2012
    The people that are giving this game a high rating and are saying its great either suck blizzards d*** or are mentally challenged little kids that don't know how to put skill points into a tree thus requiring every character to be the same, and don't get me started on online only for single player. DIE BLIZZARD

Looks like its back to Titan Quest and D2 for me ;(. After waiting for many
    years for a sequel to one of the greatest games ever made, I have been stabbed in the face by blizzard with an unoriginal, boring, dumbed down game. I feel as if this is what Torchlight 2 was supposed to have been. Save your money and look elsewhere because if I have known, I would not have even spent 20 dollars on this awful crap. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    I really wanted to play this, but on-going server issues absolutely destroyed the experience. After actually being able to play the game, nothing short of a masterpiece would've sufficed, and this unfortunately is no masterpiece yet just another mindless hack-n-slash game with an extremely boring story that tends to think that sending mindless waves at you constitutes an enjoyable game. This would potentially be true if the game didn't look like a cartoon, a truly regrettable gaming experience. Expand
  5. May 21, 2012
    Gameplay and graphics aside, I simply do not understand how Blizzard (who had YEARS to get their servers up to par) cannot give its players a DAY of gaming without having some server issue. Currently, error 3006 is the flavor of the day, with the Americas server timing out. They force us to only be able to play when connected to their servers, yet can't keep their servers running well enough to let us play. It's unacceptable and, frankly, pathetic. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2012
    Cheesy B-movie story-telling, cliche one-dimensional characters, corny voice-acting, non-sensical/comical actions by villains, predictable twists and plotline. Lack of diverse character types within and among classes - no more physical/caster/hybrid - all character types now rely on weapon damage like physical characters in D2. This destroys a huge amount of itemization/gearing choices, as there's no longer a deviation between decentralized gear (caster) vs centralized gear (physical) vs a build that needs to balance the two (hybrid). Expand
  7. Jun 21, 2012
    I gave it a 3. I'll be honest, I've not completed the game, and probably never will. Diablo II true successor this is not.
    I used to play Diablo II a lot in my youth, it was pretty much the only PC game I'd play, it was fun, addictive - and since that time it'd be my 'go to' game every summer, I'd reinstall it, even if just to play for a handful of hours, to experience the magic and then
    I'd be content. Diablo III simply never delivered any magic from my brief time with the game.
    It's essentially been designed to be a rather dull grind through 'til level 60 where the game quickly goes from a good challenge to broken, unbalanced, mess.
    Loot is no longer designed by way of the carrot and stick method, instead we're given useless drops that serve no purpose but to clutter up our inventories - the real loot is all sold via the Auction House - a system which is a massive point of contention for me.
    The game is overly streamlined, there's a vast array of invisible walls, and locked doors and blocked entrances that only open up as the story progresses - something that Diablo II was not a victim to, to such an extent.
    The story is quite frankly, garbage, and predictable. It offers no intrigue, or mystery. The characters are flat and poorly written - the games use of audio messages to tell of the lore is flawed because it's often interrupted by ingame sequences or completely inaudible over the noise of battle.
    The skill system was designed to offer more depth and more varieties in the builds by way of runes, but it simply offers less variety. It's not particularly creative - and it fails to add some excitement to the basic dungeon crawling gameplay.
    The maps are bland, and do a disservice to the charming art style.
    The multiplayer is basic, the lobbies offering little customization to find a player tailored to your needs, I spent a lot of my time with the game playing with my partner, and while he enjoys the game - as a Diablo newcomer - I found the multiplayer equally as boring as playing alone. The game offers no PVP, it's woefully missed, and something that Blizzard should have put in there at launch.

To summarize;
    - The game is too easy for the vast majority of players, who will lose interest before hitting the harder difficulties (And why should we have to replay the game a handful of times before we get a real challenge?)
    - The loot is not rewarding - the game is a dungeon crawling loot game, if there is no worthy loot, the game has failed on a very basic level
    - Throwaway story that is highlighted evermore by the super linear nature of it's progression

I also find the whole RMAH a very cynical, profits based system and I want nothing to do with it. That Blizzard is being so blatant about it amazes me and does invoke a certain level of awe within me.
    Blizzard can alter and nerf and update the game as much as they want, but it does not take away from the fact that they released a terrible, broken, shallow game at launch, one that does a massive disservice to the franchise and that, for me personally - has made me vow not to support any software they intend to release in the future, Diablo or otherwise.

I can agree that for some people this game hits the spot, is a joy and a wonder, but for me, I will look back fondly on Diablo II, while Diablo III will be long forgotten.
  8. Oct 23, 2012
    This game is GARBAGE. Absolute GARBAGE. I payed 80 f*cking dollars for GARBAGE. The game gives you **** loot no matter what you do, so you have to get all of your gear from the auction house so Blizzard can make even more money. Congratulations, Blizzard: you've ruined the Diablo universe! I'm not even going to try and describe the "story" of this game - it's that f*cking bad. 0/10 for this turd of a game. JAY WILSON? F*CK THAT LOSER! Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2012
    I give this game a one because of the always on DRM and having to be online all the time. My problem with this is because I work in afghanistan and before here in Iraq since 2008. The internet here is horrible (depending on where your at) but overall it is unreliable and very slow. I like to play my games offline with singleplayer, but because of this issue of always being online i am unable to play. I tried it once, but it was so laggy when i was playing by myself i could not continue. Due to this terrible experience i have to say that, though Diablo 3 may be great, i am unable to determine because of the constant internet connection requirement. Please do not forget about the people over here, we love to play games too! Expand
  10. Nov 5, 2012
    At first I really enjoyed this game. The visuals are great and it really sets up a good atmosphere. However the game is lacking in a lot of respects. The developers seem to have a "play our way" mentality. This can be seen in the dumbing down of the stat system and the persistent manipulation of skills done every through updates. The stat system doesn't allow you to dump points into any of your attributes, instead it allocates your skill points into attributes based on your class, which disallows for true character customization. The updates are constantly manipulating the skills so that players are more likely to play a character in the "way they were intended." These points alone would be enough for me to conclude that Diablo 3 is a lackluster RPG. Combine it with the a short and sub-par story line (that you will likely have to play several times for gear) and a multiplayer with a "thrown together" feel, I would have to recommend anyone considering buying Diablo 3 to save their $60 and look into buying a different game that actually has RPG elements and a half decent storyline. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2014
    no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    I looked forward to this game so damn much. The second Diablo game is one of the best games I've ever played because it combined a variety of elements so extremely well and managed to be completely unique and quite different from its predecessor.
    Which is the first and biggest problem with Diablo 3; it's a bloody mess. The difficulty has been scaled back from very hard to
    kindergarten-hard. The economy is broken you can buy a single item for a very cheap price and you will wreck the next 3 acts that you play. The new skill-system seemed like a good idea when you realized that it didn't encourage switching your game-style. You will literally just choose a few spells and use them act after act after act. The skills are also unimaginative and most are completely useless which is why only a chosen few are good enough for the later stages of the game. This makes everything repetitive and very grindy. Spamming a single ability over and over again until everything is dead is NOT a good way to do things. Which brings me to my next problem; the loot is so boring! In Diablo 2 you could pick up an armour and gain access to an ability that your class couldn't even use. In Diablo 2 you could get a weapon that had a chance of shooting fireballs at your enemies. In Diablo 3 you get items with stats like: +361 dexterity and +270 vitality. They do no difference whatsoever and this is really a deal-breaker in a game that relies so heavily on loot and gear.
    And always online DRM is unacceptable. I'm not even mad that I couldn't play the game when I first got it. That was a long time ago and it was fixed; it's fine. But I should never ever have to be online to play an offline game. That is the dumbest thing they could've possible done and it absolutely infuriates me.
    Diablo 2 improved on great features. Diablo 3 removed them.
  13. Jul 28, 2013
    When will developers get gamers do not like always-on DRM? Diablo III fundamentally is a solid game, but the business practices of Blizzard Entertainment cannot be excused. Plus, the game only works when it wants to. Its been updated, but its still a frustrating mess. Do not buy this game is all I can say.
  14. May 15, 2012
    I would love to rate the game higher but it appears Activisions Blizzard is unable to correctly implement the right infrastructure in order to load people in, heavens forbid I don't know how Google etc manage so many concurrent users logging in several times a day from various devices where blizzard can't even manage the one device. I'm not sure if there's a video game or that the game is just made up of various Error Messages. Expand
  15. May 19, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun, but produces nothing new to the gaming community. Controls are archaic, camera is clumsy and graphics feel plainly odd. I'm sorry, but this game does nothing to bring technology or gaming forward.
  16. May 18, 2012
    First of all know that you are responsible for what blizzard has become. You fed and praised blizzard by sticking and protecting WoW and its expansions so much so you would never see the truth about blizzard. Its all about milking (like EA). Did you really expect a 2d overhead perspective game to be something new? It could only have better graphics than diablo 2 and simplified game mechanics. Add to this the damned "Always online" new fashion and you 've got a shinny piece of **** by Blizzard. You people better start giving credit to other developers and stop being fanboys. Expand
  17. Dec 2, 2012
    Let's cover why Diablo 3 is the biggest disappointment in recent gaming history, and why it can't be fixed as long as the game revolves around the auction house.

Playing video games is meant to be a rewarding process - you play the game, it rewards you. In Diablo's case, rewards are in the form of better loot, better stats/abilities and (to a lesser extent) advancing the story.

First, the character leveling and abilities. While the abilities in the game are mostly useful and fun, the game takes away most of the character customisation from you by leveling up your character stats automatically for you. The only real choice you get is to swap between abilities. It's almost as if they game gives you a present, but then has someone else open it for you. Leveling up is also meant to bring with it better loot drops, but we'll get to that.

Next, there's the story. Put it this way - you don't replay this game for the story. Plus the difficuly of the game - What is it with games these days being so easy unless you crank the difficulty all the way up? And why can't I up the difficulty from the start of this game? Diablo is so easy on the Normal setting and even on Nightmare it is embarassing, meaning players who play it for the story get through it once easily, and don't feel the need to play it again.

Lastly, and most importantly, the loot, because at its core, Diablo is a loot game. Nothing beats the feeling of finding an awesome loot upgrade. The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that its loot system has been quite obviously designed entirely around the online auction house economy, and this most important game reward system is severely compromised as a result. Playing previous Diablo games was addictive, because of the constant drip feeding of slightly better loot. The problem with Diablo 3 is that Blizzard wants you to use the online auction house, and wants it to have a healthy economy with reasonable prices for gold and loot. They want good gear to be worth shelling out for. They want premium loot to command a premium price. The problem is when you are dealing with real money, you immediately lure 'bots and professional players to spend thousands of hours farming gold and loot to sell. This necessitates good loot drops to be ridiculously rare, because if loot drops weren't tuned for these players, the auction house would be flooded with cheap quality gear. If the game gave typical players good loot drops, there's no need to use the auction house, and items in the auction house would be worthless. Further, to protect their online real money economy (and handily to also act as DRM), this necessitated the horrible requirement of the game being online only, with a thin game client connecting to Blizzard's servers to proof it against hackers. No internet, or servers offline? Sorry, no game. No offline play forces all players into their new in-game economy. Because face it, if you were allowed offline play, the save files would be offline too, and that opens up the game to inventory editors, which would take money and value away from items in the auction house. To further increase the demand for good gear, they have made the game so difficult on the hardest level that you are fully dependent on having quality gear just to survive, and with good loot drops being so rare, you almost have to resort to pay to win. And repair costs for your gear are also high, meaning if you die a lot, you quickly run out of gold trying to repair the gear you have. Even if you're fine with paying to win, typical casual players have next to no chance of being rewarded for playing the game by having that rush of euphoria that comes with good gear drops that keeps you coming back to the game. So unfortunately the loot reward aspect of the game has been compromised severely.

To add to the disappointment is the level design, which degrades as you play through the game. It's obvious that care was lavished on Act 1, but by the end of the game, that same quality isn't there. The game's signature random levels aren't random enough, not making the game feel unique enough on repeated play throughs. Plus making a mockery of Blizzard's "when it's done" release approach, Diablo 3 is still most definitely not 'done', with the promised PVP feature still missing from the game.

So there you have it. A once-great franchise, compromised by Blizzard Activision's attempt to create another ongoing revenue stream. If this game didn't bear the Diablo name, nobody would have bothered with this game and put up with the awful loot drops and always on DRM. It's unfortunate that Diablo 3 is so unrewarding to play, because there is still a slick hack-n-slash engine in there. I wonder if 10 years after the release of this game, you'll even still be able to play it if Blizzard deem it too expensive to keep the online servers going. Blizzard should have identified these fundamental game issues. This game is too expensive at any price.
  18. May 15, 2012
    It's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in a week, and it only made it a pain in the ass for the people who supported your damn game. Furthermore, the game's combat (and other gameplay additions), graphics, and length are a total disappointment. It's literally just a copy + pasted artstyle from World of Warcraft, which is a complete disgrace when you take into accordance the artstyle used in previous Diablo games. The combat is pathetically easy, even on the hardest difficulty, but that's not the huge issue with the gameplay. You can't allocate your own skill points because Blizzard thinks it's audience is stupid, and you can only have up to 4 friends in a map with you at one time. I'm sorry Blizzard, but now I kind of feel like a **** for lending some money to friends for this game, now I can't even play with them. And PvP isn't even on release! What the hell? PvP MADE Diablo 2. And let's not forget the pathetic running time for this game, some koreans did a blind run of Diablo 3 and beat the game in 6 hours. I beat it in 8. Thoroughly disappointed, and I laugh at the "10" reviews that claim this game is perfection and call people who actually criticize the game (for want of better quality) "trolls". I actually put thought and actual valid complaints about the game, when they're only explanation for the "10" is "IGNORE THE TROLLS".

Hah!
  19. May 16, 2012
    A step backwards for the entire gaming industry.
    Rather than give players a full game experience, Blizzard-Activision decided to pull offline mode and LAN mode from the game.
    The game series just isn't the same without it.
    Because Blizzard was afraid of pirates, the people who actually have paid for the game now have to suffer the consequences.
    Infact, pirates have already made the game
    public for download and have an offline mode.
    The pirates have actually improved the game and given people a reason to pirate rather than purchasing.
    Do not buy the game, do not buy it's DLC, and do not talk about it. This is how you make the game die and send a message to the developers.
  20. May 15, 2012
    This game is not good. It's a blend of Cataclysm era World of Warcraft (where everything that requires thought has been systematically removed over the years of the hit MMO) and Action-RPG games. I would say "diablo" specifically but it is not really worthy of that distinction. Maybe a blend of Cataclysm and Titan Quest? An active internet connection is required, an active brain is not, as the game has been so simplified a dog could play it. Expand
  21. Jun 7, 2012
    Let's see - Blizzard want me to pay 45 pounds for a game where I am permanently at the mercy of their servers. A game whose main ethos is to make the company even more money. A single player game where they can change my character's abilities continually whether I like it or not. A dumbed down game with little variation. Errrrrr...........no thanks. Maybe if it comes down to 25 quid boys, maybe then I'll think about it. Until then, no way. Expand
  22. May 17, 2012
    Giving it a 3 out of 10 so far. Based solely on the fact that I have not been able to even play a couple hours of the game because of server issues. You need a constant connection to the internet to run this game, so when Blizzard takes down the servers there is no way to play. Well, it has been an extremely rocky start, I have tried to clear an hour here and there for gaming, but every time I log on the servers are either broken or down for maintenance. Game looks great and is fun, but forcing the PC community to play when you say play is a bit "Hitlerish". Expand
  23. May 16, 2012
    this will be my shortest review ever

WHAT A PIECE OF..... u know what i mean and as i said on guru 3d ppl deserve any trouble they get from the servers just because they are brainless automatons... they did not raise there voices for this crap of a drm
  24. May 16, 2012
    If they force you to play online, even if you just want to play for your own, than they have to make sure that the capacity of the servers are sufficient every minute at any time.

No Play No Game.
  25. Jun 9, 2012
    The reason we are so against this game is because what Blizzard is trying to accomplish is a very dark day for gamers. They have created a game designed to get as much money from its consumers as possible instead of creating something fun. The entire difficulty system is one gear check after another, and in order to get gear you must use the auction house. Any item that is any good will be placed in its real money auction, which Blizzard will take a 15% cut of the transaction. So in order for a player to realistically farm items at the highest difficulty they must first allow themselves to be farmed by Blizzard of real cash. If you do not spend real money and give Blizzard its 15% cut, you will only have a frustrating experience while everybody around you gets ahead. Don't allow a giant corporation like Blizzard start this horrible trend of making games that's completely designed to get money from us instead of it being fun. Don't think just because you were a wow player and got this game for free meant that you aren't going to end up paying for this game. Expand
  26. May 24, 2012
    This game is okay, but it is nothing like Diablo 2. It has been modeled around being sustainable income for Blizzard.

Currently the only way to be able to farm gear that is worth anything is to use the gear that is worth anything. The only reason people are able to do so right now is because they abused overpowered builds, but they have since been nerfed so nobody else can farm it.
    Inferno in this game is difficult because of boosted enemy damage and hp, not a change in actual challenge. It's one big gear check.

Since you can't make gold without farming good items to buy good items in order to farm good items, you'll need to use the Real Money Auction House when it comes out.

It's one big ploy for your money, gents... just wait for Torchlight 2 or go play something else.
  27. Jun 11, 2012
    This is a very bad game and doesnt deserve the name Diablo. Story is really bad. No skills and attributes. Everyone is playing with the same build and same items. Gameplay is too linear. Game is full of bugs. Itemization is broken. PvP was delayed and i have a feeling its gonna suck. I wasted like over 9000 minutes on skipping boring cutscenes. I wasted 60 euros for that **** game.
  28. May 28, 2013
    I plan to keep my distance from this iteration. Having played on a friend's computer, I can say I neither like 1.) how Blizzard feels about their customers, and 2.) how they make their games nowadays (and what their games are, in consequence).

Diablo 3 is a game where none of the original authors were involved in creating the sequel. In this case, it amounts to an analogy of R. A.
    Salvatore writing "Lord of the Rings 2", or the author of Twilight authoring "Crime and Punishment 2". The changes are just too contradictory to what Diablo 1 and 2 represented. Why did Blizzard North get sacked? Because they had artistic integrity? Just look at the original plans for D3, from the early 2000's, they say a lot about how the game was really meant to be. It is really disappointing that the original project got scrapped. Besides, the vast majority even on Blizzard's site have stated they definitely prefer the originally planned art, even in this day when graphics and all is supposed to be better, and many of whom state this really appreciate graphics in general.

A game is primarily defined by what emotion or feeling it gives to the player. This is done via artistic and conceptual vision. Diablo 3 does not feel ANYTHING like D2. Smoothness and high-performing requirements can be good things, but very often are just otherwise.

People game for the EXPERIENCE, not the way you swing your hammer, how neat the inventory looks or how fast a button-click responds. The experience is both intellectual and artistic. But Diablo 3's ambient qualities just plummeted to regular cartoons, and mindless DPS-viewing.
    It IS cartoony as by the saturated candy-whooping animations and designs, silly (wow, a boss named "Skeleton king"... wow, how cheesy), simplistic (they've scrapped the whole stat and skill system, and in fact, all LOGIC behind choosing skills instead you'll just choose and construct a "role" or animations). It IS simply dumbed-down both artisticly and stat-wise.

Ok, whoever enjoys MMO's (and Blizzard's oh-so-inspirational WoW in particular), you can be delighted by this game. But it is nowhere near art as opposed to originals.

Not to mention that the originals were SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES, that actually ALLOWED playing the game. Whereas this iteration throws other players in your game, without you having any intention of playing with them (not to mention the damned DRM). And on top of all, this MULTIPLAYER game does not allow for competitive multiplayer nor LAN.

This Diablo 3 can go to Pandaria, as much as I am concerned.
  29. May 29, 2012
    I bought this game last night, was able to log in for about 5 minutes then battle.net went down. Tried again this morning and bnet was down again. No offline single player + crappy servers mean this game gets a big fat 0 for being totally unplayable.
  30. May 20, 2012
    Always online drm, login failures, lags in singleplayer, graphical errors, bugs... this game is simply unplayable. It could be good if one would be able to play it in singleplayer properly.
  31. May 15, 2012
    Error 37... So no singleplaying for me... So I just sit here and wait or I play another game in the meantime... I don't know... Torchlight maybe?....... 'nuff said........ I may write more and change the score if and when I'll be able to play it...
  32. May 26, 2012
    This game, (which could have been decent, but not great either way) is marred by the online DRM. The entire game has to be built around this extreme type of DRM for it to "work." Never in the history of gaming, has this sort of antipiracy measure actually stopped the pirates, or the hackers from doing what they do. It hurts the legit players more than anybody. There is a reason that it is getting hammered on customer reviews. Stupid, stupid decision Blizzard. Have you learned nothing from the failures that other games have experienced due to this sort of nonsense? Some people will probably be fired over this decision. In 10 years, people wil still be playing Diablo 2, but the diablo servers will have been down for many years, making it unplayable. Idiots Expand
  33. May 18, 2012
    There are far many games worse than D3, but $60 for this is absolutely a travesty. Graphics not great, audio pretty weak, and when playing you know that it's not worth even $30 so it makes the game that much worse. Everyone has said enough already, but don't buy this game now.
  34. May 21, 2012
    From a Blizzard fan, I grew up playing Warcraft 1-3, World of Warcraft and Starcraft 1-2 are 2 of my favorite games of all time. I unfortunately never played Diablo 1 and 2. My friend gave me his starter edition code to try the game, and I feel let down. For a game that's made in 2012, having it look graphically worse then a game made a year and a half ago (Starcraft 2) and a game made 8 YEARS! ago (World of Warcraft) its showing is pathetic... For a simplified gameplay where its clickclickclickwin, I'm shocked... Wheres the amount of abilities and options compared to other games including blizzards own products, its a shame... To the constant internet connection for a single player game, WTF?! The "only" pro I give this game, is its pretty sweet that areas can change and new things can occur.

That being said, Blizzard dropped the ball this time for me, but thats alright, because my faith in them isn't shakened by this (not much) Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm will re instill this.

Unfortunately, Diablo 3 = Dia Blows

35. Jun 16, 2012
    Blizzard had always been a company where the real gamers develop the best games for us. Now, it is just a company where the money is their only goal. After 10 years of waiting and their "perfectionistic" expressions; I would say that this game could not impress me rather I have been disappointed. In brief, I payed a lot of money to be bored after 35 hours of playing. I won't buy any Blizzard games in the future. And my final score is a huge 0. Expand
  36. Sep 23, 2012
    I enjoy(not love it) the game before Inferno, but after that you can see why people is against RMAH, there is no way that you can do it if you don't buy items because. And always online is a real pain if you lose connection just for 1 second(for example if you have a Router and it assigned a new IP) you are out. And it has a real story problems! In my opinion it doesn't worth $60
  37. Sep 22, 2012
    What a complete let down, and i have spent prob over 10,000 hours playing D1 and D2 but this game is just awful a shame of a game to carry the diablo name...........Diablo 1 was all about the atmosphere.....Diablo 2 was all about the grind and the magicfind.........Diablo 3 was all about the $$$$$$.......
  38. Nov 7, 2012
    Really? They actually named this pile of **** Diablo 3 ? wtf is this? Where is all the enjoyment Diablo 2 and Lod had? Where are the real unique (golden) items as seen in Diablo2/LoD ? Oh i get it it's some graphics built around an Auction House system, gj job Blizzard finally one company understood the whole thing behind enjoying games..... NOT! In all honesty, this was the last Title i touched from Blizzard, and i was a freaking Fanboy, loving all their stuff regardless what others would say, but this game is such a letdown and such a disgrace to the Diablo series and Blizzard, it's just unforgivable.

Better head out and play the Grand Torchlight II, which actually has the original Diablo2 team behind it afaik, atleast it feels like it does.
  39. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is terrible and nothing like the previous games. If you like auction house simulators, then this game is for you. I had absolutely no fun playing this game at all.
  40. Mar 18, 2013
    on 12 yeras them make same game :S how can people accept that? I dont buy "next" diablo beacuse them sell bad games for full price better buy torchlight 2
  41. Sep 30, 2013
    Blizzard must have paid off the critics on here. This, as a Diablo series game, is a joke. It is disgustingly bright colored instead of dark and gothic. It's story is TERRIBLE, and clearly written for young children. It's abilities are not too bad, but lack the depth and strategy Diablo 2 allowed for.

The skill loadout would have been a good idea for some brand new game, but most Diablo
    fans wanted the in depth character skill customization Diablo 2 offered. The mods to each ability just feel lazy on the developer's part as well. Item stats are randomized on even high end items, and unlike Diablo 2 they are mostly pure stats. This just makes gearing very boring. And finally they seem to have intentionally designed it to make it as easy as possible for players to leech xp without doing any of the work. If they aren't in the same zone they still get some xp, can't be kicked, and will get summoned to bosses automatically when you start the fight.

This game is fun for a little while, but ultimately disappointing.
  42. Jul 30, 2013
    Good old Diablo receive another offspring with online-play and real money auction house. Great.
    Time to bury the stinking corpse of long-dead demon in the lava pit.
    There is too many better H&S arcade games focused on drop. And even some MMO.

But it's not a zero. They are do some work. Really.
  43. Sep 11, 2013
    I played this during release and whilst fun at first; I stopped after I noticed the game had glaring problems like bad loot and itemization, real-money auction house, class imbalance, online only, bots, etc etc...

Fast forward to a year, I tried playing it again hoping Blizzard finally patched the mess they did with this game. But nope, it still sucks and failed to live up to the hype.

What's funny is they're releasing an expansion that comes with a patch that'll supposedly fix loot and itemization AFTER A YEAR.

What a joke Blizzard has become.
  44. May 27, 2012
    After thinking about the game now that I've beaten it on normal difficulty with a level 30 monk, I have to say that the game just isnt doing it for me. Visuals aren't consistant, the actual gameplay graphics are cartoony. Sometimes there's a cutscene dialog box with an illustrated picture of the character next to it, like in a standard rpg from the 90's, then there's in game cutscenes with characters talking to each other. On top of that there are outstanding hyper-realistic cgi sequences, and then there are also these sketchy unfinished cutscene storyboard sequences as well, so basically there's 3 differnet art styles conflicting with each other and for me that just takes me out of the experience. Pick one and stick with it for the entire game. Overall the game lacks the gritty darkness and overall gore of diablo 2, and a lot of the areas from this game are rehashed form diablo 2 as well. Audio does the job and the music fits whatever act you're playing, but it doesnt respond to the action like in other games, and it doesn't really stand out even though its professionally done, it's not like you'll be humming the diablo theme song any time soon. So meh, the voice acting is strange at best, the in game chat sequences between your character and whoever it is who's following you are badly written, repeat themselves constantly and aren't very good overall.

The loot system is what most people play the game for but one of the best things about diablo 2 imo was the Horadric Cube which is missing from this game. Instead you get a artisian magic and rare weapons/armor and a jeweler for gems. The artisian will create items with random properties but a lot of the items he can make I wasn't even able to equip on my character, so I stopped using him after act ii and just used items I found on the ground instead. Also you have to play nightmare difficulty to start crafting higher grade gems, and that's really lame because the replay value just isn't there.

The story of the game is pretty lame by rpg standards. It has a few twists but you can spot some of them a mile a way and I stopped reading the cut scenes after the first act, I simply didn't care anymore, the story just doesn't cut it. Overall the game is lacking, its basically a lighter version of diablo 2, it uses a lot of same environments, characters, and monsters, with a story that isn't interesting enough to invest more than a single playthrough.
  45. Jul 25, 2013
    After playing 2500 hrs, I must say... Although the game is 1 year old, the PC version has not been fixed for critical bugs. The game still drop to desktop during fights due to directX errors and lost connects. Most hardcore players are killed permanently due to the poor coding errors. The company lacks in debugging. The coming console versions will fail shortly. Honestly the game is frustrating to play. The terrible repetition makes me really sick. Poor game design. The game looks like only for elemental school kids. Expand
  46. Aug 31, 2013
    Basically, DIII is a boring version of DII. I had to stop playing it not long before the end of Act II. It's just... Same thing... Over and over... Almost zero field to experiment with a character. Pre-defined set of abilities. Boring monsters with much fewer specific to them properties. Much less random maps. Repetitive and dull script. Yeah, I had to read what happened up to Act IV, and hell, I was not surprised even once! I understand that story in Diablo game always was needed just to somehow justify the massacre, but remember how much deeper was DI and DII stories! And, finally, what's one of the main addiction to RPG reasons? That feeling, when you YOU make your character stronger the way you want. There's none. You don't raise stats (the game makes it for you), you don't choose abilities (you pick them from a constantly available list), the only way to modify all this is loot and it's random too. But graphics and designs are good. Expand
  47. May 15, 2012
    With the purchase of the game completed, one would expect to be able to play it. Not if Blizzard has their say. Don't waste your money on a game that won't let you play it.
  48. May 27, 2012
    After seeing those so called critic reviews that keep praising and buffing products for markets. Had to write second review because i am really worried about unprofessionalism of critics. They are not making any comment about games features just raising the product to almost godhood. That's mainly because good name of company, 2 of those so called professional critics gave mixed review. This is really worrying effect how critics are not having critical reviews only marketing speeches.

So lets get to the actual review played this game through with one character. Second play though with harder difficulty found game to be boring. As for even wanting to level any character again to level 60 whats the point in that skills come as progress levels. So there is no reason for that. This is mainly because really none of customization you can do talent or attribute wise its just all about gear you wear.

Also because they actually released "online or no play game" i keep getting constantly dc:t from game which actually shows how greedy this Blizzard company actually is. Game is just basically unplayable for those that get disconnected about every 5 mins to 30 minutes. I have actually done more tweaking to my security firewalls etc for this game than to any other games and it still has serious issues. Almost always when you actually try to get answers from technical support problems are on your side not their precious servers or product. They start "you could try..." its not consumers job to make game work. There should be some pride for game developers to make working game.

So good advice for all that are playing games around world never ever pre-order game, never buy those cheesy priced collectors editions or limited (luckily i did buy only standard edition) and most off all always wait about 6 to 12 months after release to get actually patched up game. Mainly never read what these so marketing critics write about game they tend to go overboard praising the series or company that made game.

In old good days of gaming we did not have DRM only cd-keys to check your games legality. All gamers suffer because too protective developers making every even single/ multiplayer games requiring internet connection. This game should had some kinda offline mode for that cannot have access to internet 24/7.
  49. Jun 12, 2012
    Have played for about ~130 hours of total on three different characters and I can firmly say that Diablo 3 was a mistake. Blizzard, in the past, has not released a mechanically bad video game EVER. Battle.net 2.0 made SC2 a overall bad experience for me but the game itself was good. WoW has it's balance issues in terms of DPS in PvE and class issues in PvP. They are constantly patching those and it is a work in progress just like any MMO. Getting down to it Diablo 3 did not have promised features and for a time the development team was not doing anything in the pre-release. I waited over 10 years for this game that had been redone more than once by Blizzard and I can firmly say that it was worth the wait. From PvP not being in game even though it says it is on the box, to the RMAH requiring you buy a device, along with the game you already bought, so you can use it. It has been a terrible ride. The first week's launch and the whole idea of being online to play a single player game was and is a slap in the consumer's face. Hardcore is out of the question as you are always online and lag is always an issue. I would never even think of making a character in that environment as the frustration of farming gear is already too much. Blizzard built the game so people would get to inferno and hit a brick wall. Only way to topple that brick was is to farm gear for hours on end or you can spend money at the RMAH. This is good for business but who the hell wants to pay more money on to something you already bought to do well in? Who the hell wants to farm for hours on end so you can progress through content you have already done? I am a hardcore gamer but I don't see artificial challenge worth doing. There is not anything in it for me. Lastly, the story was written by a guy who got hired on for his artistic abilities. CGI scenes and dialog should be skipped at all times it is just that bad. The plot does not line up to anything that happened in the previous games and should have been aborted by any normal human being. Service maintenance, consumer always being wrong, terrible customer representatives, and a grindfest is all that awaits the willing and able Diablo 3 fanatic. I would recommend playing D2 as even with the duping it is still more "fun" than this trainwreck. Expand
  50. May 23, 2012
    Meh.... It would be an OK game if it weren't for Blizzard level expectations. Beat it once - don't want to do it again.

It is very repetitive and with little to none meaningful choices. *** You have to be online to play. Really? In a single player game??? Can't use the same character to play with your US and european friends. Any reason for that???
    *** There is no character development -
    skills just unlock with level and this is it
    *** At any given moment you are limited to 6 active skills + health bottle. Boring...
    *** Nobody I know picks up non-magic items in the game. So why have them at all?
    *** Plot, story, voice acting - all weak
    *** Graphics are sub-par
    *** Game is very poorly balanced. Normal difficulty level is a joke.Ex: "Ball lightning" rune with Demon Hunter is pretty much is a "Win the Fight/Game button" (including the bosses). Inferno on the other hand is currently unplayable by melee characters.
    *** With each character you MUST start with normal difficutly... WTH???

All in all it seems like casual, single-player oriented WoW but without the large rich and interesting world to explore. You are limited to grinding though the same randomly generated environments at different difficulty levels.

It is still playable (I did spend 17 hours to beat it with DH char) but after 12 year wait for a company like Blizzard I'd call it a failure. It seems that they just wanted to supplement dwindling WoW revenue by doing a half-assed revivial of old and popular franchise.... Very disappointing...
  51. May 16, 2012
    In summary: Gets repetitive really quick and feels like a "production-pipelined", risk-free, standerdised game. Yes, you might think the problem of being repetitive is inherent in "Hack 'n Slay" Action RPG, but I think there're some who make this feel personal and rewarding and some who make it a redundancy. For me, regrettably, D3 falls into the latter category. Technically they included many things to prevent this: So much skills and runes and skill combinations, but it doesn't add up to something larger. Encounters are almost always the same (monsters coming in from the front of you) and you beat 'em down, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, repeating the same buttons presses. I don't remember any outstanding encounter. And although there's a lot of different artwork and randomization, the levels through the different acts seemed to be really similar to me. Feels like a checklist of locations you run through, locations that don't really depend on each other. Besides a few dialogues, there were no real authentic things for me, no little scenarios that make you smile or smirk, nothing personal. Expand
  52. May 17, 2012
    I never thought I would do this.. I have been waiting for this since Diablo 2 died out but..

They took away all the customization that I loved about Diablo 2. The UI was confusing and there was no hotkeys for my abilities. This is simple stuff here. I had to go into a menu to change my spells mid battle.. that was ridiculous. There was no main lobby so I could see other players and
    their gear with channels and custom channels. There was no skill tree's to let me customize my character. I am the same wizard everyone else is. This is unforgivable. I kept myself igorant of this game through development so that I could enjoy the end product spoiler free.. instead all I felt was a sudden clash of disappointment. Expand
  53. Jun 6, 2012
    The main problem with this game is that it's just boring. Mobs, items, story...all are just goddamn boring.
    Second major problem is the always online requirement. **** that for a joke for a single player game (and don't tell me this is a multiplayer game - single play is a major component). Server down for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance? Too bad, you can't play the game. ****
    you Blizzard. At least Dawnguard is coming out soon and I can get back to a proper game. Expand
  54. Oct 12, 2012
    Draconian DRM and since I'm on 3G connection mostly unplayable. The pay to win auction house, the intense lag since I live in Africa... its like something EA would make. Very disappointed, especially for this price tag
  55. May 15, 2012
    This game deserves a 37 out of 100 or a 3.7 out of 10, The game fails to connect wont let people join or play because of it, and Metacritic keeps deleting bad reviews.
  56. May 15, 2012
    Pay to win and always online DRM, two things I do no support. Shame on Activision and Blizzard entertainment for making this an industry standard.
  57. Jun 29, 2012
    Blizzard should have stuck with Blizzard North. Diablo 3 is a disgrace to the original first two games (and extra expansion) of this series. After completing the game on inferno there's nothing else to do, no re-playability it's insanely boring to farm compared to the first two games. The itemization is so linear, just like WoW, you can't get through act 1 inferno without struggling not having a high end weapon from the end-game. I'm not saying the game is too hard, but the game all depends on the elites that are so unbalanced that it makes the whole game boring to play and you only rely on kiting. The boss fights are great, really fun but after playing it a couple times you just know the rotation of the attacks and again it gets boring.

I've never waited for a game so much in my life, this is really the worst game by Blizzard so far. This game relies way too much on World of Warcraft and not on the actual series. I'm not even gonna start with the auction house where I somehow lost items like a stormshield and never retrieved it because it was lost in the nether and admins couldn't do anything.

I rate this a 0, I'm entirely serious about this score, the game is trash, not fun to play, you can't skip quests, the story is pushed in the gameplay ruining it and it looks like they made everything for mentally disabled players, you can't discover anything by yourself without having something popping up to ruin everything (act 3, Azmodan telling you every single thing that's happening at no particular important moment).

One thing that really bothers me, the wizard teleport, 3 out of 4 times it's gonna glitch on the ground, but worst, there's a cool down on it, so if you use it and it somehow doesn't work you're dead.
  58. May 15, 2012
    Picked it up to play singleplayer. Can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that ActiBlizz put in so they can earn money from virtual items. Bravo after years of "polishing" I can't even play because of your greediness.
  59. May 16, 2012
    I hereby dub this title "Spore-ablo". You'd think Blizzard/Activision would have learned from EA's mistakes when it comes to implementing heavily intrusive DRM, but the way it was implemented proves otherwise. Trying to get your connectivity issues resolved through tech support is useless. As others have mentioned, the development team for Diablo 1 and 2 left this company quite some time ago... and it shows in the quality, or complete lack thereof, of what Blizzard released. Expand
  60. Sep 24, 2012
    This game had it's launch problems, then you could play it for a while and no the RMAH has turned into what many feared it would. There should have been an option to play this game without internet connection. It's a shame, the death of Diablo no doubt.
  61. May 17, 2012
    Diablo III... or Diablo II with better graphics and a poor story... Blizzard only has three "lines". And they can't expect to live forever with only three sagas.
  62. May 17, 2012
    Only a few days playing, did not try the Beta, have played Diablo 1 and 2. Initially I am disappointed in the skill "unlock" system, and lack of customization of character, and no stat point distribution. I feel like they dumbed it down simply to try to balance it for PvP, which has never been the primary focus of the Diablo series (Storyline has been). DRM is quite frustrating, as my girlfriend and I just wanted to play it together and relax, but they are consistently taking the servers down for maintenance, and we can't even try to enjoy it just after purchasing it. We both find ourself checking to find out when Torchlight 2 will be released instead. We will both still push through to the end so we can finish the story, but I don't foresee this being a game you keep playing for a long period of time like Diablo 1 and 2. Graphics are okay, not what I would have expected for a new game release today, they seem very similar to Diablo 2, only slightly better. Sadly I am not as impressed as I was hoping, and I am losing faith in Blizzard's ability to release a quality product like they use to. Why change what was working so well in the past? I just don't get it. Expand
  63. Jun 17, 2012
    Absolutely pathetic, Blizzard. Christ, if this is what gaming is coming to I may have to opt out. Coach purse wielding, croc wearing fad followers are destroying this entire industry.
  64. May 16, 2012
    This is Diablo mod for Warcraft. It looks like Warcraft (W3 or WoW), characters are like from Warcraft (demon hunter, witch doctor), most of the skills you can trace to Warcraft universe. Skills themselves look ridiculous, and too flashy.
    You can't influence character development, you can only chose combination of skills. Was this game made by marketing department of Vivendi/Activision
    with help of Warcraft Team?
    Disappointment
  65. Sep 21, 2012
    worst game ever the critics are as full of @*#^ as Blizzard is MAJOR FAIL Blizzard your company needs better writers and a overhaul. if i could do one thing with this game it would be to get my MONEY BACK or PUBLICLY BURN it so that no one will make the same mistake i made.
  66. Jul 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a huge step back compared to Diablo 2. How did Blizzard manage to spend 7 years of development and deliver less than the old Diablo2? It's beyond me!

We have no PvP at all at release, they didn't even tough the PvP balance. If something like this happenes, PvP will be definitely **** in this game.

Reduction of gameplay speed compared to Diablo2. Diablo3 just feels slower,
    so they please casual gamers who are not that fast

D3 is focused on the realmoney auctionhouse, as an income source for Blizzard to sustain the game. Thus they trim the drops to be so low that you are thinking about spending real money on it. It's a social experiment, to see how a real money auction is received by a large community.

Blizzard is not what it used to be, they released a bad product and they even admit it, that item farming is not enough endgame, duh.. Really? Only Blizzard Zaelots enjoy this braindead and endless geargrind without any reason to it.

My only hope is that they make an interesting PvP content, then i might try this game out. But right now D3 is one the failures of 2012 for me. Blizzard has to take a step up, after 7 years of developement they delivered less than Diablo2 offered, that's a no go for and i vote with my wallet and don't buy it.
  67. May 16, 2012
    Any game that requires the player to have a broadband internet connection in his home just to play the single player campaign gets a big fat zero from me.
  68. May 17, 2012
    I was against buying this game for all the stupid crap blizzard has done like the always online drm and the real money auction house but bought it at the last minute. What a huge joke the game is down for maintenance most of the time. Why would blizzard not put pvp in the game but they sure are able to tell you when they are adding in the stupid real money auction house. Shows where blizzards priorities are with developing this game. Expand
  69. Jun 11, 2012
    Diablo III is cheesy, soulless and seems to be made for ten-year-olds. Still, it's an okay game gameplay-wise -- on harder difficulties. However, and this is a big however, you have to start the game on Normal, play through the entire game on Normal, before you get there. And Normal is way to easy. It presents no challenge -- just keep clicking on the screen around your character and you win every encounter. This is truly boring, and it's a 40-hour introduction to the game that you're forced to take. Not really worth it in my opinion. Expand
  70. Jun 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is inferior to Diablo 2 in each and every way but one. Cheating. And not just small cheats such as maphacks. You got bots, duplication of items etc. Diablo 3 has been out for 2 months by now, the game is already completely ruined by the cheating and Blizzard stands by the sideline watching, incapable of fixing their own mess. Other than that the game itself is quite good. The story was decent, the gameplay alright. How ever there is something that has been bothering me. Why is it called Diablo 3? This game is nothing like Diablo or Diablo 2. This game should be called World of Diablo.

To sum it all up, I'm glad I traded a f2p mmo account for a D3 key. Otherwise I would have felt ripped off.
    Do yourself a favour. Don't pay for this game, trade something equally useless for it, such as a used paper towel.

In conclusion. This is a Blizzard "Entertainment" product and as such it is highly overrated garbage praised solemnly because it has been developed by Blizzard.
  71. May 17, 2012
    I asked myself, "If this game was called Torchlight 2, what would you think of it?"

When I read that Blizzard was shipping the game without PVP, I was worried. I never seriously PVP'd in Diablo 1 and 2 but I know that's important to some fans. There's something wrong when Blizzard is shipping a game that's not finished. The moment I got into the beta, I was underwhelmed. The graphics were
    blurry; my character and foes alike lacked detail. I know Blizzard strives to have games run on all machines, but Diablo 3 looks worse than Titan Quest, which is a much older game (with a map editor.)

I thought the constant achievements were stupid, but to each his own.

I can put this to the back of my mind, but now the game is out and I can't even play because Blizzard's servers are down for routine maintenance. When it is up, I disconnect often and generally have 1-3 seconds of lag ( I don't have the best internet.) My girlfriend has been complaining that the game keeps failing to save her progress.

Somehow I forgave them for doing this to Starcraft II, partly because I don't lag on it, but now I've had enough. This new Blizzard doesn't have the magic that the earlier generation possessed, and they can't make up for (I'm assuming/hoping) Activision's horrible decisions. I realize a good deal of my problems are technical, and some may be sorted out later, but I didn't buy the game later. I pre-ordered it. If this was some small indie developer doing a kickstarter, I wouldn't mind. But this is one of the biggest, most funded AAA developers in the industry. This game isn't worth 60 dollars to me.
  72. May 17, 2012
    Its not the expected loot fest because of the way they are now handling stats and there is so much gold laying around its easy to pick up something in the AH that will outshine the loot drops for hours. There is also the fact that it is a single player game suffering from disconnections...it beggers belief.
  73. May 19, 2012
    For background, I have played both Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 to an extent. I completed both games multiple times, and although it has been a while since I played the titles, I was completely distraught when I started my character on Diablo 3. The game-play was completely dumbed down to the point that a trained chimpanzee could complete the game without any problems, the graphics look as though they were taken out of WoW and darkened slightly. As I feared, Blizzard have forgotten how to make a game that is not the hugely successful WoW. Diablo 3 is a huge let down for anyone who has ever played either Diablo or Diablo 2, and I, in all honesty, cannot see how it would attract new players (aside from those who fell into the hype). I won't be a fool and say Blizzard "owned us" a great game, after this long of a wait, but after waiting for eleven years, expectations were high. They were met with Starcraft II, and they were simply destroyed with Diablo 3. It is as disappointing a game as you will ever find, and there is absolutely no way I am ever going to fall in love with it. For those reasons, my rating is a solid zero. Expand
  74. Sep 23, 2012
    Terrible game. Absolute insult to customers, especially fans of diablo 1 and 2. Game completley ignores what made the first two great. Childish graphics, removal of sill trees and attribute points, loot is awful and predetermined as opposed to randomized loot like the originals, elimination of randomized dungeons(an aspect of the first two which was considered revolutionary), a ridiculous auction house and an even more absurd real money auction house that forces you to dish out real money to recieve any gear that is decent, a development team that repeadedly insults its custormers by ignoring them and telling them how they should play, and the worst part...No offline mode. If you enjoy terrible game design and being treated like a child, then this game is for you. Expand
  75. May 22, 2012
    First, like a coin operated video game, you will never see your character's name in game. The only thing identifying your character is an ugly computer ID code, which is the same for every character you create. Same with friends you play with, their "name" is always a computer code too. Average graphics (at best); average plot (at best); basic options missing (can't change text size for example); about 20 hours to finish, and the ending is just like "BAM, game done, over, nothing more to see here, move along!"

Also, people are getting hacked left and right, imo due to the RMAH that is like beacon to thieves. But Blizzard gets money for the RMAH, and, oh, what a coincidence, they get money for the "special" authentication program you can "buy" from them. Read the forums, and see how Blizzard's response to one poor guy that got he account gutted was "You did not purchase our special authenticator".

This game is corporate greed at it's worst in every aspect of the game.
  76. Jun 1, 2012
    I did a review, and a problem occur and i give mistankely 10 to Diablo ha ha ha ha. Impossible, i give 3 to this **** I try actualy to recover my money and i discuss with the support for the moment.
  77. Jun 4, 2012
    Blizzard treats you, the paying customer, as guilty until proven innocent and disguises it with a weak excuse involving the inventory system. Enough said.
  78. Jun 12, 2012
    Diablo III is the biggest setback in gaming history. I am writing this review, in hope of gaming directors waking up. This is a true copy of WoW. The quests, the dialog and even the grouping. Its the same UI as wow, and thats just terrible. Diablo II is one of the best games ever made, and Blizzard totally ruined it. We need offline play. We want randomized scenery as the old. We want no cartoony Graphics, but dark and spooky stuff like in the II. This is just sad. I give it a 4.0, because its fun to play with friends. But it was 12 hours to Hell, and now its just pure poo.

GG
  79. Jun 21, 2012
    Your perfectly average console game. Feeling is 90% of development time went to animate hair in cinematics. Beside not so bad skill system, there is nothing that would compel you to play. One playthrough of this shortest driest story ever told and you should be done. I played all 5 classes, 3 of them to lvl 60. And I can honestly say, I never wasted my time more than on this game. There is nothing fun about it you just go on and hope for something to happen, but that will never come. You gear up so you can beat exactly same monsters. Round and round it goes. Expand
  80. Jul 15, 2012
    How can anybody give a game a 0/10? I can understand a 1/10 if you hate the game and it is annoying, but a ZERO?!?!? To many, that means it's not a game at all. And my friends, that is exactly what I intend you to hear. Diablo 1 was revolutionary! Diablo 2 was great! What happened?
    Well, shortly before development of this game began, Activision took over Blizzard and a man named Mr.
    Kotick appeared. Now, anybody who remembers Blizzard remembers that their slogans were "Done when it's ready/SOON" and "By gamers, for gamers." When Kotick took over, they changed their company motto to "A culture of thrift" (Google it), and killed off the real Blizzard.
    So now, we have a "game" that requires internet in all modes, including single player? No big deal! Except, you can't play the game on camping trips, airplanes, business breaks, or anywhere where you can't connect. But, it will get worse when Blizzard eventually decides to discontinue their servers, which they can do at any time and for any reason. So, if you are thinking about buying the game, you had better buy it before they pull the plug. It's not a matter of "if", but WHEN!
    So, why would they do this? They say it was to prevent hacking, but not one hacker I've met has been able to hack a system in offline mode, while several have been able to hack Diablo 3. They say it prevents piracy, but the game has been ripped as well, so that doesn't fly. The real reason that this single player game is not playable offline is because of their Real Money Trading Auction House(RMT.)

So now, Blizzard has implemented the RMT, what does this mean? Well, for them it means money and money and money. They are constantly patching the game in ways to make it harder, thus forcing people to need the RMT items. Every class in the game has been nerfed in short order. Smashing items now increases repair cost, forcing you to buy gold from RMT. The endgame gets so hard in Act III that players who were invincible on the previous act have to revamp their entire character, thus forcing you towards the RMT.
    Diablo 3 is not a game at all. Diablo 3 is Blizzard's boiling frog experiment. You know, where you can boil a frog inside a pot, and the frog doesn't jump out if you raise the temperature slowly enough? If they increase the buying temperature of the endgame by one degree at a time, can they boil you before you notice? I don't know man, but a fool and his money are easily parted. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
  81. Jul 25, 2012
    Game was great until the nerfs started coming in; don't need some faceless corporation telling me how the game should be played andor enjoyed. What's next on the nerf list? Crit damage? Crit chance? Running too fast? Gold pickup radius too wide? Stacking a particular stat too high?

Crafting is a waste of time. I think every aspect of the game is somehow pointing you to the direction of
    the RMAH. Buy with real money to win. Ever heard of a "useless legendary"? Play this game and you will know what it means. Expand
  82. May 10, 2013
    I don't think I need to repeat what the whole internet is saying. Some points for the graphics, cinematics and soundtrack. This game took me to the highest highs and the deepest lows (in a very specific segment of my life, of course): most excitement I ever felt about the launch of a game, then gradually but surely descending to the most disappointment I've ever had from a game. Now I just don't care, uninstalled it. Expand
  83. Aug 26, 2012
    GARBAGE!!!

Do not buy this game, save your $. this game is so bad i cant even start to explain why it is bad and not go over the 5000 max char for a review, not even worth the review its so damn bad.
  84. Oct 12, 2012
    Winner of this years Game Developer's Choice award for audio. This fact surprised me until I noticed that all the winners of their awards have a representative on their voting panel. Just pathetic.
  85. Dec 2, 2012
    Beautiful graphics, nice first impression. Very careless changes and maintenance by Blizzard turn the game into a constant source of frustration.
    Every week, your long hours boosting a character, turn to waste due to 'engine balance'.
    Then you spend hours of farming getting awesome items just to login in and see they halved the power of your equipped items.

The only way to like this
    game is start playing it now; or stop playing after finishing it on easy mode.
    If you, like me, started playing on the release date, that's not possible anymore.
  86. May 19, 2013
    This is I believe the worst video game of all time, because of its failure to live up to its potential. The game is just NOT FUN. All your upgrades must come from the auction house or crafting.. boring!!!!!!!!!! Its a boring money pit.
  87. Jul 29, 2013
    Now, I'm not one of those guys who has a mild dislike of something, so he gives it a low score. No, I pride myself on seeing what is good in something. The Good: The environments and sound design are spot on. The areas in the game are lush, the models are well done, the physics engine and amusing and absolutely glorious to see in action. The Bad: Literally everything else. The voice acting is terrible, the plot is full of holes, you must be online 100% of the time, even to play the single player (and believe me, you don't notice how often your internet goes out until a game will kick you off the second it cuts out), the entire game lacks any sort of challenge, there is only a linear progression along a fix skill "road", rather than the skill tree that made Diablo 2 such a pleasure to play.

You cannot allocate points to anything relating to your character. Everything RPG related is totally fixed, and the only thing you can do to affect a character's effectiveness in combat is to buy a new weapon that puts points into your character's "primary skill", which is to say, the only skill that will ever matter to you.

So, lets say you are a Barbarian that has reached the maximum allowed level. You are 100% identical to every other Barbarian at your level. The only differences you have are the abilities that you have equipped, which you can swap out at literally any time, and the weapon that you are holding.

Due to this asinine lack of character customization, you must use a new feature that I honestly didn't think would affect the game. I was, unfortunately, wrong.

I am talking about the Auction House. In game, the weapons that you find are worth around 50 gold. In the online auction house, you can sell your items to other players for hundreds of times that price.

What happens to the game is this: You get frustrated, and because leveling up will not affect your build or character, you go to the auction house, buy a new weapon, beat the bad guy. Repeat ad nauseum until you finish the game.

The bosses are visually impressive, but pathetically easy. I honestly don't even know what happens if you die, and I finished the game on the "hard mode" equivalent.

This is easily the worst sequel I have ever played. This game felt more like a halfway thought out mod for a better game than a full fledged sequel to what was arguably the greatest dungeon crawler of all time. I cannot recommend this. Not even after a year's worth of patching is this game even 1/10th of Diablo 2. Not only is it a terrible sequel, it is a terrible game, and Blizzard should be ashamed for tarnishing this once wonderful franchise this this abomination of poor game design.

If you have a love for Diablo 2, I beg of you, stay faaaaaar away. If you have never played Diablo 2, go buy that instead. It's a third of the price and 10000% better.
  88. Jun 30, 2013
    It would be a masterpiece if it was from a small company with 10 workers or something.
    But it's not, it's from Blizzard, it's predecessor is nothing else than Diablo II.
    Unforgivable.
  89. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is a disgrace, an insult, a puke, a shame. It is bad, so bad it hurts. It is made by morons for morons, all in the name of greed. Don't be fooled: everything about it is wrong. Avoid at all costs.
  90. Nov 17, 2013
    Probably the most disappointing game release of my life. I spend days weeks months in total game play, playing Diablo 1 and 2. I waited years for this master to return and what a disappointment it was.

They took something evil, mysterious, challenging and dark and turning it into a Walt Disney click fest for kiddies. Gone are the half naked sprites and up side down crucifixes. Instead
    you are met with animated characters in bloom, which inspire not fear of death but more of a scene of Alice in Wonderland.

What a tragic end to one of the best titles ever.
  91. May 17, 2012
    Read the professional reviews. Read how they describe the game. Does that sound like an 87 to you? No, it sounds like an 80 or a 75, but because Diablo III has the Blizzard name and advertising dollar attached to it, it gets an 87 on metacritic. It's criminal.
  92. May 20, 2012
    Assuming you could play the game problem free its probably worth an 8, but the fact I can not play it, and as yet have been unable to maintain a solid connection due to Blizzards servers being overloaded and underprepared makes the 8 irrelevent, I officially give this game a 1 because its unplayable which by definition means its a bad game.
  93. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is in no way an improvement to Diablo 2. It fails in every way possible. And for the record I didn't buy this game BECAUSE of all the problems with it.

Always online DRM require you to be at Blizzards mercy, play with their buggy servers, with severe lag.

Diablo 3 has no LAN, No open net because Blizzard is scared hackers will use the files to destroy their new cash cow auction
    house.

Diablo 3 has No skill trees, No skill points, copy & paste characters with only gear differences making the only difference between your character and the next the gear you got at the cash cow auction house.

Diablo 3 is being hacked relentlessly by the second week. With over 28,000 threads (not posts THREADS!) worth of hacked players on Blizzards own forums. Blizzard is outright denying all of it, It's so bad two games journalist have been hacked one of them a eurogamer reviewer who gave the game a score it didn't deserve.

Blizzards Greed driven answer to this was to make a buck out of the hackings and aren't interested in helping people, only selling their broken and bypassed authenticators.

Meanwhile Blizzard just keeps on denying the problems with their game. While trying to spoon feed their customers garbage.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!

Go over have have a look at Torchlight 2 by the actual Devs that made Diablo 2. They're giving the fans everything that they ever dreamed of in a looting and hack n slash RPG .
  94. May 15, 2012
    It's pretty much World of Warcraft with a higher camera angle. Did the new Blizzard devs even play the older Diablo games? The game lacks soul, the art is good but it's not gloomy - everything to too vibrant. You can tell Blizzard 2.0 could care less about voice acting, they hired people for cheap and you can hear it.
  95. May 15, 2012
    After half an hour I had to stop playing because of the latency. With a latency of 400ms (standard in my country) there was a delay of almost half a second between waving the weapon and hitting a foe. Totally unplayable. Blizzard, why so little love to the single player?? This has nothing to do with DRM. They wanted to create another WoW but they failed miserably. Reinstalling Titan Quest.
  96. Jul 6, 2012
    A terrible, repetitive, money grab. Uninspiring art/graphics, quite possibly the worst video game sequel of all time. The ridiculous high praise from professional reviewers really goes to show you these people are either paid off or only played the game briefly. Made me lose faith in the industry.
  97. May 18, 2012
    Why did it take them so long to make this game? Diablo 3 is basically a rip-off of previous diablo games. All character models looks like taken from the previous blizzard games with 0 inovation, same about the enviroment and level design. The game is addictive because of the loot and auction house system but the game play is very repetitive right from the start.
  98. May 15, 2012
    Terrible DRM that requires you to be online and then terrible support from Blizzard at keeping the servers online and actually allowing people to play, or better said not allowing since they did piss poor job at making descent servers. No character customization in 2012, arguably Diablo 2 looks better/less blurry at times, no lan, no pvp or proper pvp after they add arena.
    Not a good game.
  99. Jun 6, 2012
    Been playing for a while now. Long story short, core gameplay is brilliant. Sadly that's it. The story is woeful, the game runs like an mmo, but unlike wow, this isn't transparent, and also has frequent 'scheduled' server maintenance. Gameplay is often effected by lag. The most offensive failure of this game though is the loot system. Just like wow, the gameplay is very loot sensitive. Drops in the game however are pretty much always below your level, and don't have your stats. Instead, the only practical place to get in game loot is via the AUCTION HOUSE, which is not even in the main game. And will allow real money soon. Go figure. The fact that loot that drops while you're playing is effectively pointless apart from selling on the ah is unforgivable given that its a core system of gameplay.. enough to bring down 11/10 gameplay to a below average title of crap. With strings attached. Expand
  100. May 22, 2012
    This is a huge disappointment for all hardcore gamers.The major problem is simplified casual gameplay oriented on non-gamers. And its complement with lots of minor issues from absurd DRM policy to outdated graphics and step back in terms of general design.
  101. Sep 28, 2012
    After putting in several hundred hours in this game i feel absolutely disgusted with myself for wasting so much of my time and money on game made by developers who don't care about anything but $$. If you enjoy games with inflated economies filled with botters, hackers, and day traders (like runescape), this may be the game for you. Unfortunately most of the time you will find your self with a lacking feeling of reward or fun.

Also for an ARPG the randomization in this game is absolutely horrible. Very little replay value, and an incredibly unintelligent and boring story line.

Your time is better spent just playing its predecessors.

1. Aug 31, 2012