3.9

1. Jun 1, 2012
    Most of reviews were published before actually playing the full game. Here's a serious review if you are interested in playing this game. As many other games, this game is another example of good game design with poor execution. My best guess regarding all this anger towards Blizzard is because Blizzard has been hyping Diablo fans for years. Whenever asked when they would release the game they kept saying "When it's done". In order to get things done they had to cut a lot of stuffs from their original ideas and rush development to the point of changing important game mechanics few months before release, lacking on class balance testing and server reliability. The game not only came out without things they've promised but also poor implemented at certain aspects. Blizzard has clearly release an incomplete game after so many years of development. Overall the game is good but lacks on some important aspects of performance, class balance ( Melee vs ranged in Inferno, the highest difficulty of the game), customization and story. Fortunately has the reputation to maintain its games for years to come and that's the only reason why Diablo 3 was not a complete fail. Any other game in the industry would be crucified. Jay Wilson said: "No one will remember if the game is late, only of it's great". Problem is: everyone will remember that the game was late if the game is not that great Expand
  2. May 23, 2012
    The game is actually good. VERY good. Extremely perfect art direction which makes those other art directors want to quit their job for ever and same quality with everything else. (I just didn't much liked the UI actually. It feels like it was rushed a bit)

Whether agree or not the game is actually extremely 'old-school'. When playing oldschool games, when you beat the game you start from
    beginning right from beginning. The most primive example for this fact ('the oldschool gaming') is goddamn mario. You beat it like a boss but nintendo still makes you play the same game over and over. And I believe MOST of those low point submitters are still playing diablo 3 like right now. So, how does this does not make this game 'old-school' in your terms. This game is more and more hack and slash then the previous games. and believe me, I've played them both A LOT. Even if you had what you wanted you'd still vote this game low because one little glitch would make you vote 0 on anything. And the what I've noticed you guys don't get the 'old-school' gaming and you babble it alot. Because you did the same with portal 2. And this review also applies to portal 2 too.

About the constant internet connection, I should admit I'm not cool with this too. But that's the future of the games. And Blizzard showed some balls (and greed ofc) and stepped in to a new age of privacy protection. Blizzard explained more then 3 trillion characters made on the first release of diablo 3. That's close to population of f*cking earth. And WHOLE earth was trying to connect their servers. And not even 1 week after their servers now running perfectly. That's something google can handle and a for a game company they over come the situation goddamn smoothly. Bliz tries to cover up what the offline playing took with online content and other social stuff. Although I'm still not %100 ok with constant internet connection but I guess they'll come up with a patch for offline playing for a few patch later. (greedy bastards lol)

with all my sincerity, I was hoping something more like diablo1, and I'm sure I'm going to play diablo 1 again after finishing diablo3 on hell. wandering in claustrophobic dungeons and taking ladders with infinite steps which goes RIGHT in to hell. I realise they tried to get the feeling of the first one but they fused it with the second one. and fusing stuff to each other never has a perfect result. Anyway this game is 2012's metal slug! I just can't wait for upcoming patches, expansions, characters, pvp etc.
  3. May 15, 2012
    A sad game for gaming. It is a shame they had to ruin a great franchise just for milking the name for money. The intrusive access control known as DRM(Digital Rights Management) is hurting the game the most here here.
  4. May 20, 2012
    Hugely overrated. Not worth 60$, not only because of the drm thing, but also because of the childish story and repetetive gameplay. On the bright side, when stuff pops out of chest the animation is very cool.
  5. May 24, 2012
    The story is dull. Just generic dark fantasy blah that goes in one ear and out the other.
    The characters aren't very interesting. Constantly running through dark caves/tunnels/dungeons becomes way too monotonous.
    The soundtrack isn't memorable, or at least, I don't remember any part of it the way I do with Starcraft 2.
    The gameplay is supposed to be the main attraction but it's just a lot
    of click click clicking on zombies, and clicking even harder on the tougher enemies.
    Looting isn't much fun either. You scoop up belts and swords, most of which is worth almost nothing and occasionally upgrade to something a little better.
    I don't get it, what is the appeal? Nothing about this game stands out as memorable or addictive or fun.
    Pretty boring stuff.
  6. Jun 19, 2012
    The game is fun but it's nothing groundbreaking. If you played Diablo 2 (D2) then you've played this game. The only improvement in my eyes is that you now pick up gold by walking over it instead of having to click on every single pile. The addition of forcing you to have a constant connection to the servers is annoying and should never have been implemented. I was never one to play D2 online and I only ever played with friends when we were on a LAN so forcing me to connect to Blizzard servers is extremely annoying. They have issues, have maintenance, or any other issues and all of a sudden I can't play a game I paid for. I honestly think that D2 is a better game solely because I can play it without an internet connection. Expand
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    Let me just play single-player without network problems! I'm seriously not buying anything with this DRM in the future. Sure, this is just a game, but that's precisely why you shouldn't frustrate your goddamn customer!
  8. Jul 28, 2012
    I must say, rarely do I ever pick up a game for $60 and within a few hours put it down and never play it again, simply because it just hurts to much to do such a thing. So I always try and look for a few positives in a game; however, Diablo III is just that bad. I was a huge fan of the first two games in this series, but this game wrecked it...no wait, take that back, obliterated it. This is quite possibly one of the worst games I've ever played. It's linear as hell, the story is terrible, the graphics are...I'm not even quite sure you can call those graphics by today's standards...I mean honestly guys, there's pixelation in the character selection screen..., the characters have no appearance customization at all...WTF even WoW has that..., and you get bored of the game before you even get to the point of the game, the loot. But wait...there is no point if you can just buy the loot...I mean WTF Blizzard is this a job or a video game, because I don't remember an interview. I mean hell, even cookie cutter CoD I wouldn't give a zero, at least I get to shoot at **** to ease my pain and frustration from having to play it. Expand
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    Disappointing, not up to standard for modern games. Act 1 had a lot going for it with a lot of destructible items and traps you can trigger on enemies. After Act 1 the detail drops off and you can tell less effort was put in. Changes to items after launch have and bugs have made a mess of the economy. Below standard from Blizzard... I blame the Activision takeover.
  10. May 24, 2012
    This game is OK but the always-on DRM absolutely ruins it for me. DRM for multiplayer games is to be expected, but forcing you to always have a connection to the blizzard servers in order to play a single player game is ridiculous. What if you have a laptop and want to play it somewhere with poor/unreliable wireless signal quality or no wireless signal? You can't. When playing a single player game on my desktop I'll be running through a field and then in a flash my position will reset to where it was a second or two ago when the server last synched, its totally jarring. Sometimes when this happens I'll be surrounded by monsters and instantly die. I'll be pretty far into a dungeon and my connection will get dropped and I'll get booted back to the game lobby and have to repeat the level. All this is even if blizzard allows you to log in to their servers to begin with, hope you don't want to play your game when their servers are down or at capacity! I'm still having lag issues on my desktop over a week after release, I'm not whining about the launch-day issues that they improved upon over the first couple days, and this may in fact be my ISPs fault rather than Blizzard's. Blizzard really should have given you the choice of an open or closed system like they did in Diablo 2, this design decision to require a constant high quality internet connection at all times killed my enjoyment of this game. As to the gameplay, its pretty much what you'd expect, an updated version of diablo with new classes and skills. Graphics are decent, voice acting is good and the monsters the game has allowed me to see so far have been interesting - I like some of the vomiting zombies and giant bloated corpses that explode into a mass of worms, I like how you see monsters climb up the sides of cliffs and climb in through windows before joining the combat, creative stuff like that is good. Story is decent, kind of a rehash of the original story so far but it makes me nostalgic when they drop names like "king leoric" in the story. I'm one who doesn't really want a long story in an action rpg so the story is at just about the right level for me. Gameplay however seems dumbed down from predecessors, not nearly as much character customization as I would like and my only deaths so far have been due to lag. $60 for this is an insult, should be $20. Expand
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell click click click click click click click click click click click click Sell - dont waste your life thinking this game has any purpose Expand
  12. May 29, 2012
    I am not going to give this game one of those bottom out 0/1 reviews, because honestly it is better then that. The always on DRM is... annoying. I'd live with it, though honestly its only going to get better because people stop playing due to disappointment in the game.

Beyond that, there are some major not-fun-factors of the game. I have to say, the first 12 hours or so on normal
    difficulty are fun. The second 12 hours on the next difficulty are providing the challenge I was looking for. Then after that the game stops being fun. I'm going to give blizzard a couple weeks to fix the fun factor.

If you want to say a $20 game gets 40 hours of gameplay out of replaying the same missions over and over, but on harder difficulties thats one thing. If you want to say a AAA title gets 40 hours of gameplay out of 12 hours of game that you play over and over again... well that's a bit disappointing.
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    Nothing compared to the original Diablo's. This game was fun for maybe the first 30 hours of gameplay IF your playing online with friends, because there is no single player. Overall I really dont have much to say about it because it was one of those play and throw away games that I will probably never touch again.. Stale, repetitive, uninspired, manufactured hype cash in for Blizzard that came out with a torrent of server issues causing half the user base to uproar which is what most of these bad reviews are for. So theres that, but then again, it was fun for a bit, this is something you would spend 20 bucks on when your sick of all your other games. Expand
  14. May 16, 2012
    Only pain I see here is that much people paid that money for this DRM and WoW Clone crap. I didnt buy the game, and will not buy after all those comments and videos.
  15. May 20, 2012
    If I was just scoring on the mediocre game play/graphics and the average story then I'd probably give it a 5, throw in the always on DRM for a single player game (WTF?) and the fact that getting on for a week after its release you still can't consistently log in and play whenever you like, the best I can say is a 2. Seriously put me off Blizzard games and will be voting with my wallet in the future. Expand
  16. May 15, 2012
    I was so excited to play, and I did for like 30 minutes, now for the past few hours I can't connect. I have a real life and job, so I can only play for an hour, maybe 2 tops at a time. I can't do anything with this game due to errors. If you are going to do an always online requirement, you better have your act together and prevent this from happening. First impressions are everything. The game looks promising, but I can't review on promise, only on what is, and right now, that is I have a $60 paper coaster on my desk. Expand
  17. May 15, 2012
    If you get to play this game you are lucky! Seriously overloaded servers on the day 1... They run a stress test weeks before release date and still they can't get it right. This is embarrassing even for a indie studio and we are talking here about a world wide giant gaming company and they have so much failz!
    Seriously if have not bought the game yet DON'T not for at least a month let
    them get their stuff in order first.
    A serious disappointment i have had a chance to play for about 20 mins today and I paid good money for this game. Frankly you could get a hooker for longer than this cheaper than this.
  18. May 26, 2012
    A huge step backwards from Diablo 2. All internet issues aside, lack of skill customization. Sure there's more skill combinations that the previous game, but, you can't use 95% of them because you WILL die. So, everyone has the same build. No need to level multiple characters as you can change skills instantly at no charge. The story is unimaginative and is full of cheesy lines. Bored of it already and am only at Hell Act 3. WHY THE HELL IS THERE A LEVEL CAP? Expand
  19. Jun 24, 2012
    at first i was, YAY a D3 this rox and stuff but after a month of playing i'm looking for a better game? Something is not right and that something is the stupidest design of the game ever made this is not a ARPG it's a kill everything that moves, there are no skills there are no attribute points, they auto distributed, and there is no way you will have the time to get a good item in game without the use of the AH this game is a fail and i feel scammed by #1 company that i always trusted to bring me what i need.
    Well Blizz another customer left i hope you have fun with dump games.
  20. Jun 18, 2012
    I have spent the last eight hours farming a random drop item to get into whimseyshire, a farming area. I still have not seen the npc pop that has a random chance of letting me get the item I need. this is one of six items required. Is this an asian MMO or what? It is also becoming increasingly clear that you cannot beat the game on the hardest difficulty without using the in-game Auction House(which is now shifting into real money sales). Steer clear of this game, Blizzard has finally put out a dud. Expand
  21. Sep 13, 2012
    There is no replay value. The game starts out great and fades quickly! I have not logged in for months and refuse unless an expansion is released. Playing the same missions over and over is not what I want to do. If I could I would return the game.
  22. May 27, 2012
    Blizzard obviously spent more time developing the monetization scheme of this mediocre game than they did focusing on the player experience. What should be a stellar Single player/ Coop action RPG experience feels more like a cheap free 2 play/ pay to win MMO treadmill. Farming and crafting are worthless as you level. Everything you find or craft at a given level is pathetic compared to what you will buy on the AH. The game is designed to herd frustrated players to the real money auction house where you can give your money to hackers, gold farmers, and exploiters to get the gear you need to get to the next act...and Blizzard will take a cut. Story, gameplay, and graphics are mediocre- really uninspired.
    Server issues and security issues should be an embarrassment to Blizzard, which has had more than enough time and resources to sort things out. Really shabby work and a waste of the Diablo name. Blizzard continues to disappoint.
  23. Oct 19, 2012
    Good until I reached level 60...After level 60 game became extremely repetitive, I mean i get it, this game is about getting better and better stuff isnt it? well my hope to loot a legendary or a set item kept me playing this game and finally....FINALLY got my 1rst legendary:

a crossbowvery good stats but...543dps, price in AH = 50k gold

It's been almost 2 months since the last time
    I logged in, I played this game 183 hours so I know what im talking about, being a Wizard I suffered patch 1.0.4 nerf, when I read about another nerf to my CM build in the upcoming 1.0.5 patch which took me those 183 hours to get the items I just stoped playing

And that's about the gameplay, I won't get started on the low fps/stuttering issues but to resume that problem:

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW ALIENWARE AND GUESS WHAT? I CAN'T GET MORE THAN 25FPS IN COMBAT. I opened a ticket in customer support but they couldn't help me

My hope in this game is dead. Don't even try the demo, this crap is not worth it
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit when I saw this game preview for the first time, I was like this is going to be an awesome game! Being a player of Diablo Series I was very excited to get my hands on D3, but it really only turned out to being a disappointment. For as long as this game was held back, I believe 10 years or so in development, the game is quite bad. Sure the graphics/sounds/abilities are an upgrade from the old Diablo.....but that's really not saying much. The talent system is your typical cookie cutter system that will be in WoW MoP and to me is garbage because it lacks creativity and customization of your own character. ***Edit*****Lets face it we don't look into talent trees really to gain stats....it's to gain bad ass abilities! Players, and hey I may be old fashion, want to jump, break the ground, shake the earth, do massive dmg in a fun way. Not to the point where the game is face roll but where it is enjoyable to the player (It's a fine line I know) Diablo doesn't deliver on many levels to me. The story line is absolutely horrendous, (*spoiler* ) seriously, one of the most iconic people in the history of gaming...Tyrael you make human, and not only did you make him human blizz, you made him human in the "final chapter" of the game. I mean that's cool; that's like taking Predator and making him look like Bambi. I really do wish they took the time to not make your toon look like a cartoon character, I mean come on blizz this series plateaued you guys to the next level before WoW, you really could not do this game "Justice" (no pun intended) and take this game to the next level! One thing that was completely unacceptable to me was the lack of effort put into the multi-player aspect of the game. I mean normally we all expect there to be some errors don't get me wrong, but man holy cow there were a lot. Now typically you'd expect this from other companies, but come on not one that runs two of the biggest Mmorpgs in the world (WoW / SC 2). Also, the legalized selling of gold is sad, that means to me that people have gotten so lazy that they can no longer play the game and achieve gear but they have to buy it, please stop spoon feeding people everything blizzard. I am sick and tired of making classic challenging games from, well I'll say the majority of people who write reviews here, childhoods and allowing them to be played by infants. There is absolutely no skill involved in this game and the fighting system in this game is a joke. Also, when you played Diablo way back when, there was a level of creepiness to it. You know, it was dark you couldn't see what was in front of you, the world had been plagued into the abyss, and there were cows with scythe's trying to beat you down. Needless to say I am very disappointed with the installment of the series, shame on you blizz for letting an amazing legacy of game fall by the waste side. Expand
  25. May 21, 2012
    Blizzard is having a good laugh at our expense. A complete disappointment and ripoff. Retail version was terrible to install, invasive registration process, and servers were painfully unresposive. Boxed version weighed down with a blank notepad to give the customer the "illusion" of value. My instincts were to avoid this game, but I gave in to temptation. Avoid this total waste of money, I'm ashamed to have fallen for this scam. Shame on the "professional" reviewers who give this an absurd 100. !f nothing else Diablo 3 indicates which gaming sites are not trustworthy. NO way possible this game deserves a perfect score. **** YOU Joystiq! Reviewers/gamers awarding Diablo 3 with inflated scores are giving game companies the green light to r@pe consumers in the future. My rating: 5/10 for Native Mac OSX support, -5/10 everything else. Total score = 0/10. Expand
  26. May 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The hardest part of Diablo 3 isn't Inferno difficulty, it's actually getting on the game and playing for any decent bit of time due to Blizzard's DRM enforcement. It was released two weeks ago and even now, the game's being taken offline for "Emergency Maintenance", which seems to come up on average, once every 1-2 days for several hours. Most drops are random and I would not at all be at odds with buying gear, in fact, I have. Buying it is the whole problem however - even when the game IS up and running, the Auction House may or may not be. The game itself seems to suffer from a few Warcraftian influences. One trait it shares with WoW is stand, click and shoot. If you're playing a ranged class, this can and often will have you hurting, if not just flat-out dead much of the time. A lot of the monsters come at you in droves and if you're shooting, they can and will catch you because you have to stand still. If you're moving, there's little you can do offensively. This is lessened to an extent if you play alongside a human player or 3. Whoever felt that ranged classes would better be played with a stand, click and shoot control scheme must have been on something. Imagine if Call of Duty or Battlefield were played in such a way. I know all too well that this is in NO way an FPS, but to have a ranged class with low armor only be able to play offensively while rooted to the spot is bad design choice to say the least. Another huge, gaping flaw in this game is the way that Blizzard decided that instead of a point-based system, they would go into dumbed-down mode where you can just pick premade talents for yourself and not have to worry about tinkering with your character very much (Another WoW trait). Some of the controls feel awkward and out of place, such as Demon Hunter's Vault ability. With Evasive Fire, Vault is really just not needed, as they both cause you to flip away from monsters. It seems outright lazy that Blizzard would add 2 very similar abilities, although, as it stands, Tauren Paladin in WoW has 2 stuns and a sleep ability, all are more or less forms of stop spells, so it's obvious that Blizzard outright will NOT innovate their games at all. The story in Diablo 3 becomes nearly insultingly atrocious at times; Leah's soul's status is unknown, her mother's whereabouts are unknown and by the end of the game, Diablo and the Black Soulstone tumble to earth. This all serves to become obvious vehicles to warrant future expansion purchases. The story becomes incredibly obvious at others points; AI buddy becomes trapped just before you face Diablo and urges you to go on alone. How did I not see this comming?? /endsarcasm. Boss battles for the most part are simple and unispiring as there is NO real tactic other than to shoot, run, dodge one or two random things, rinse, repeat. Finally, a good portion of the story is not very involving, you really can't care about characters who give little or no thought to a girl who had been traveling with them, city-to-city, (presumably for what seems to be weeks, if not months, in game time) only to be possessed by some iteration of Satan, and to have her body burned away and destoryed by an iteration of Michael. It seriously detracts from the story and shows Blizzard's ineptitude for writing a good story. Good stories don't have to be complex to be great. They can be as simple as Lunar Silver Star Story or as complex as Final Fantasy X, it all comes down to the writers. Not to mention that the game has 5 acts and can be completed in a day or two. As slow as I am, it only took me 4 days to finish it, and I actually explored the levels and did the side quests and so on (playing roughly 4-5 hours a day). The game is not horrible (aside from the online issues), on the other hand, it's not that great. It is however a mediocre title from a gameplay perspective and below average title from a story perspective. With as much time as Blizzard had to develop this game, in some senses, it's as bad if not worse than what Square dumped on us with Final Fantasy 14, if you look at it from a time vs product standpoint. At least Square didn't take 10 years to create an embarrassment of coding. This is simply embarrassing for Blizzard. They have had many games under their belt and many years in the industry. The only conclusion I am forced to come to is that it was all done in order to get the RMT auction house up and running as quickly as they could because World of Warcraft's sub numbers are beginning to falter and with recent layoffs, the time was "right" to recoup what few losses they have sustained. This game should have come with a title which was more true to life, such as; Diablo 3: The Quest For More Cash. Maybe the title will make it into a future expansion, which they WILL make. If you really want to play this game, and are still on the fence over the $60, wait and get it out of the bargain bin later . I pity those who bought the collector's edition. Expand
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares maybe sell 1 decent rare on auction house, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares, buy gear on auction house, Farm, vendor crappy rares, Farm, vendor crappy rares.

That's pretty much the
    game. I strongly suggest skipping this one folks.

***********************************60 Barbarian 180 hours played, 25 million gold spent on gear, currently in act 3 inferno, not really getting anywhere
  28. May 21, 2012
    Scoring this game has two components: this game itself and its online part. First: the game is not bad at all, a quality dungeon crawler. If you like that sort of game you wouldn't be disappointed.

But what makes this game barely bearable is its online cluster **** First days error 37 is known even by many who don't play that game. Even more annoying than that are the lag spikes if you
    managed to get online. And now even my account is being compromised, gone is all equip and gold farmed in the last 40 hours of playtime.

So, what remains is simply a unplayable experience. I don't bother with CS to restore my account and just let it be. After all it's not that ground breaking that it's worth it ...
  29. May 15, 2012
    This game is just bad.
    You can't log in due to **** servers.
    It is only 2-6 hours long.
    Real money auction house
    Graphics that are just appalling.
    Retcons its own ending.
    No Pokemon like in WoW.
  30. May 16, 2012
    Extremely disappointed. Bought it mainly to play alone and even if it lets me log on the always-online requirement kills it for me due to a huge lag. Yes, even if you play alone the lag will sometimes make you unable to move your character. The story is bland and the overall art direction and style is not something worthy to be called a successor to the Diablo series. A huge letdown for me as a Blizzard fan. Expand
  31. May 21, 2012
    Always online-DRM and then no capcity to handle all pre-orders and known retail and digital sales? Buying a product you can't use. Last time I bought a Blizzard product or EA game.
  32. May 18, 2012
    The game has looked the same for years, it's not even developed by the same people who made D1/D2, and why assume that new gamers are complete morons? Why Blizzard? Why must new gamers get the child treatment? Your games reaching the younger generation are alienating to people with suitable problem solving skills. Aside from the lack of intellectual and visual developments to the game I feel like the horror ARPG has been turned into a badly voice acted gamble to win people's money. Too much of the game revolves around owners spending GOBS of cash. Practically encouraging real money to be used as currency in game is how iPhone games trick parents into buying virtual trinkets for their kids. GOSH I can rant about this while staying objective and every sentence further I get the lower my score goes.... so I'm going to leave it at a 2. 2 points were for the dev staff that just got the mechanics worked out. I assume that's difficult enough they deserve some credit, but who knows if they were fired or laid off so many umpteen years ago when the project was started and obviously near completion. Good day sirs. Expand
  33. Jun 13, 2012
    This game is a total disappointment. I am a long time Diablo 2 Fan and had great expectation for Diablo 3.
    Since it's release I never had a day that I played that went without a connection error, or deconnection , or a server maintenance. Server maintenance can last from 4 to 8 hours! Thank God I paid whit paypal and could get my money back.
    Diablo 3 is the MW3 of 2012. Total letdown.
  34. Jan 3, 2013
    I bought this game and was faithful to it for the first 3 months but finally gave up. The developers just plain failed at launch to know what made Diablo 1 and 2 so good, almost as if they never played these games themselves and just tried to mimic it by watching some youtube videos of gameplay. I came back to the game 6 months later and it was definitely better, but still just not that enjoyable and to be honest, they just missed the boat. The game is not worth your money, skip it. Expand
  35. May 15, 2012
    +Decent graphics. -Always online DRM, -Lack of skill diversity, -Connection errors, -Play to win, -Short story. This game is a step back from Diablo 2, so I recommend avoiding it.
  36. Jul 24, 2012
    What can I say? DRM, 6 hours gameplay (easy at that) and no real feel to it like the previous two... Sorry, but this is the worst game Blizzard made in it's history (one of the worst I've played). I've played flash games on AG that are better and LONGER than this overpriced piece of 5h17. If you are a millonaire and don't know what to do with your money, don't spend it on this game, spend it on Blizzard so you make them stop the next time they even THINK about selling something like this again. Expand
  37. May 15, 2012
    The game is great, but with the error37 and the constants internet "check in" make this a bad game" Why this blizzard?? We bought your game, we want have it.
  38. May 15, 2012
    Huge disappointment. The game is boring like hell. It's not diablo, it's a casual game like Actimoney knows how to make... Blizzard is definitively dead. Really sad.
  39. May 15, 2012
    Pre-purchaces the game for 60 euro only forr look for main screen for a whole day. Bunch of errors prevent me for playing the game. So bad servers and support that i hardly believe it.
  40. May 15, 2012
    So i get the game today and the servers are full so ive just paid £30 to not be able to play a game. Brilliant...classic blizzard, no doubt i wont be able to play the game for the next week due to server instability. Just another example of DRM ruining everything for the gaming community led by blizzard! Also the beta was uninspiring and boring, im hoping that the game will change my view but so far its putting up a rather poor attempt Expand
  41. May 15, 2012
    I bought this game after never having played Diablo 2 or 1. I am a new PC gamer, I usually play on consoles. After this experience I can safely say I will never pay for another PC game again that has always on DRM. I bought into the hype against my negative judgement, and after trying, and trying, and trying I can't login to play this game, a SINGLE PLAYER game. This is not okay. Punishing paying customers is not alright. I gave them my money, and they delivered a broken product. This is my first, and definitely last try with a Blizzard game. Expand
  42. May 15, 2012
    Score the game based on it's gameplay folks, not a temper tantrum. I'm giving it a 4, because they gutted so much of what I loved about D1/2, the graphics are pretty weak, and the online DRM is inconvenient to say the least. It would pass as an iOS game or a $10 indie title, but as a follow up to one of the best games of all time, it is a disgrace.
  43. May 15, 2012
    I do not even know how people can even gave 2/10 for this game. This is most overhyped and biggest let down of all time. Blizzard fail to deliver, no wonder they fired so many people. Their games no longer has the factor of quality and polish. Always online-DRM and then no capcity to handle all pre-orders and known retail and digital sales? Buying a product you can't use.
  44. May 17, 2012
    Voice actor for Cain sounds like a badly done cartoon goat Almost all other voice actors throw on some stupid Irish-Scottish-Welsh sounding twangs and roll with their pitiful poorly written scripts Throw back stereotyped African accent for witch doctor Check points, no custom skills, spend real money for loot, no pvp, meaningless plot-line What a gut punch this steaming pile is considering it is f**king DIABLO!!, seriously WTF were you thinking Blizzard? Your corporate desk jockeys ran this project into the ground, and I serious hope they are standing in the unemployment line right now

Yet the multiplayer coop is fun, mindless fun, but still fun, hence it gets a 4/10
  45. May 16, 2012
    Unlike past games in the Diablo series, you as a player are left completely out of Blizzard's equation. Your money, however, is not. With the design of the auction house, and the 60 dollar price tag for an incomplete game (11th hour removal of PVP to be released later. Granted, PVP in Diablo was never that great, but, huh?) it's pretty obvious that they're trying to take as much of your money possible with as poor of a product that they can feasibly manage. Aside from a monthly subscription, this game was constructed from beginning to end out of a playbook to maximize addiction and minimize reward. In other words, Koreans will love it.

So you've already spent your money? That's fine. You get to click things, and, like Diablo 1 and 2, the first few sections are actually quite fun. However, by the time you've reached the second act, the world will have grown stale, and the old monsters you were clicking on will be replaced by new monsters to click on. It's a gameplay style that grows old fast, and even though I haven't played a point-and-click hacknslash for years, it felt just as boring as the day I put down the last one.

In conclusion, Diablo 3 is a boring game meant to take your money if you have an addictive personality. There is no fun here, only grind.
  46. May 17, 2012
    how a game doest have offline mode is ridiculus what hapeen if I live in a place wheres the acces to the internet is restricted and I what to have some fun whit diablo 3 but aI cannot play whitout the internet is simply stupid hope no more companies do this atrocius decision in a future
  47. May 17, 2012
    always online requirement for singleplayer, really? wtf
    they could have made this a seperate mode from their stupid mmo version..
    and thanks to their mmo style and auction house there's no more dupers and hackers, nope, now all you need is money to kill the other guy, yep, no exploring no nothing! just lots of money! so get your mom's card out little hax.
    i played diablo 2 for a long time,
    and this d3 thing is a disgrace.. who's the egotistical exec in blizzard that decide to go this mmo-only route?
    everything in cartoon d3 screams failure!
  48. May 20, 2012
    Forgetting for a moment the fact that you couldn't play a game you played money money for and always have to have an internet connection to play this game, which is god damn ridiculous by the way, This is still the worst Diablo game ever made. It's amazing you could release a worse product 12 years after the last one. Seriously the graphics are sub par, the story is vomit worthy, the music is pretty good, and the leveling structure is crap, with all the personalization removed. Seriously, don't buy this tripe. Last Blizzard product I pay money for. Expand
  49. May 18, 2012
    Lets play touchlight....
  50. May 20, 2012
    Extremely expensive game with poor graphics and a bad story. It requires constant connection to the internet to play and the servers are always busy/down.
  51. May 20, 2012
    As an Australian player, this game is nearly unplayable. I'm stuck with a ping that averages 600, which makes combat sluggish, ugly, and playing multi-player with friends causes severe lag spikes which are absolutely disgusting.

Blizzard used to be a company I had a bit of respect for, but their abuse of everyone that isn't American paints them as a bunch of elitist pigs that the world
    would be better without.

I mean, EA included Australian servers for SWTOR, but Blizzard? Blizzard are now scum of the gaming world. **** Blizzard.
  52. May 20, 2012
    I love this game. I really do. But Blizzard CAN'T get away with the way they are running the game. The launch was a giant epic fail. Nobody could log-in, people lost achievements, someone even lost the character. For all the week, there were huge lag spikes (even playing in single-player mode with no other player allowed) and disconnection. And now the ice on the cake: sudden maintenance on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON for EU (the FIRST Sunday after the poor release on a TUESDAY). I love this game, but I hate Blizzard for what they are doing. And they will probably get away with this, with a simple "We're sorry.". No, WE are sorry, you aren't. You got your money, after all. Expand
  53. Jun 26, 2012
    User score on this site is getting lower and lower. To be honest, Diablo 3 deserve that low score. Come to think of it, it has been 5 weeks since diablo 3 was released and their server fixing arent finished yet. I hope that blizzard company will simply rot.
  54. May 24, 2012
    Boring! There is nothing new that wow hasn't done before (aside from the story). Same graphics, same gameplay, same missions, etc. I'm also bored of the lack of real action just click click and loot.
  55. Oct 10, 2012
    Cons: Auction House plays for you. Items are boring, repetitive, and other than your main stat / vitality the affixes are irrelevant. Linear Gameplay + only 5% f the maps are randomized. Online only. Matchmaking only, no custom games. Max of 4 people per game. Pros: Nice Graphics. Summary: I wouldn't bother with D3 unless Blizzard makes some serious, fundamental changes to it
  56. May 27, 2012
    Broken and not-fun endgame with having to be online for single-player makes for a bad game. The game's endgame could be repaired through patches, but without offline play I would still give it a low score.
  57. Jul 8, 2012
    PROS = Art style is nice. Environments are colorful and varied. Simple to-the-point gameplay. Visual and audio FX are nice. Skill and rune system works for the most part. Good for RPG newcomers who want to jump in and kill things quickly. CONS = Repetitive gameplay. It becomes a grind for better gear after the first playthrough. If you find this fun, then knock yourself out. Always on-line requirement. There is no justification for this in a largely single player game. Even with a kickass machine and good internet connection, you are at the complete mercy of Blizzard's servers. Lag spikes. Get used to the sight of your character running around with everything else on the screen frozen, then suddenly dying. The story is abyssmal. Characters are two dimensional, no sense of pacing, predictable plot twists, and lack of any emotional undercurrent. In-game cutscenes are cartoonish and fail to convey any gravitas. Forgettable music and sound. Your character screaming "I require aid", "not enough discipline" and other such nonsense becomes aggravating, especially at higher levels. Lack of character customization. Skills/rune system is extremely limited and funnel you into a few builds per class. Many of the skills are useless. VERDICT = I was on stage 3 of the Diablo boss fight on Hell, doing very well after 12 attempts, and got a server disconnect. I uninstalled the game 15 minutes ago and am officially done. The always-online requirement destroys the core functionality of the game. Losing all your map progress due to server connection problems is UNACCEPTABLE. Again, there is NO REASON for a single player game to have an always-online requirement. If you wanted to hop into a co-op game or do online trading, fine, connect to the servers at that time. But if you're soloing by yourself, there is absolutely no reason. This, and the realization that the game is nothing more than a grind for more powerful (and ultimately meaningless) gear, has led me to quit. There are better and more meaningful games to waste your time on. Expand
  58. May 30, 2012
    Terrible game, end game is pointless and broken. The game has been abused from the beginning and a exploited to where a select group have free reign over the entire Auction House. The demand is only getting larger for act 3/4 items, whilst the supply is staying the same because the people who abused/exploited the game in the early stages are the only people who can obtain the gear.
  59. Jun 1, 2012
    At the surface, Diablo 3 is much better than most give it credit for. It has beautiful action, randomization enough to feel fresh, and a streamlined system. Even the lack of skillpoints will quickly be revealed to work wonderfully.

As you put some time into Diablo 3, you will start to see a bigger problem: a lack of variation. Not in the vistas, or models of your characters, or even
    abilities. The lack of variation instead stems from the core of the game: dungeons and items. Dungeons quickly become predictable despite randomization, and items all feel the same. Sure there are different stats, but all you really care about is DPS, followed by the single predefined stat for your character, and then perhaps some health or defense.
    The problem lies in the lack of impact items have on your character. Your wizard doesn't care if he uses a staff, sword, or crossbow: only what DPS the weapon gives. There are less secondary effects than in previous games, and they mean less. In the end, the item hunt is the same no matter what class or build you are playing, and all gameplay feels the same.

The above points only makes the game mediocre at worst. The real reason for the low score is the shoddy online mechanics. Weeks after the game launched, players still run into overloaded servers, lag, and extended downtime, with no real end in sight. A game is only a game if it can be played, and on this count, Diablo 3 stands on shaky ground.
  60. Jun 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I'm not from Battle.net fourms. I'm speaking from my heart. I started to play diablo 2 about 4 months ago and decided to buy diablo 3 for the hell of it a couple of weeks ago. I don't listen to gamespot, etc. Basicly in today's industry the publishers are starting to buy for their "10/10" Scores *COUGH*EA*COUGH*.

Well enough about that. Let's move on!

I keep hearing how Diablo 3 is the quote and quote "BEST RPG EVER". You know what? This game was just over-hyped to **** It tells a story when a game is forced to go into a redesign phase in development possbily twice by the publisher. Plot: Way too short. Only about 5-6 hours if your playing on Normal for the first time. Also Obvious plot twist.

Graphics:
    Good god, I wasn't impressed. I've seen games with better graphics. These graphics look cel-shaded. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's not right for this type of game. To be honest, the atmosphere is not as good as diablo 2's. I was going for the impression that Blizzard was going to add more detail to this game.

Gameplay: Mainly my biggest problem is the gameplay. It's boring as **** There is nothing new. It's just Diablo 2's gameplay with a new engine in my point of view.

- Replay Value: Once you play it with your friends once or twice, It gets boring. BLizzard had a chance to change some stuff in development. Why didn't they take the chance?

I also noticed from a couple of friends of mine (One who is also a writer for MMO.org, Paragustrants) had an issue with Act 3 in Inferno. Your basicly hitting a brick wall at this point. And it is said the blizzard testers didn't even finish Inferno. Wow.

Music: Okayish. It's not bad in any way!
    Some of my other complaints,

Servers:
    Yes, Even after about a month after release this game is still having connection issues. Lag outs every 15 minutes. Unable to login, etc. Blizzard is a huge company. Shouldn't they have the funds to buy more servers instead of swimming in their bathtub of greed? If I was a developer, My mindset for a bad launch would be to clear up the connection issues and bring in more and faster servers for the players. Blizzard had a stress test for this game I believe. What the hell was that for? Was it for people who could brag about how they were in the first closed beta for this game? 8 years and Blizzard wasen't expecting to be a big turn out? Seriously?

Botting: Blizzard knew about this problem since Diablo 2. Go look at the online for Diablo 2. It's filled with bots. Nothing was done. Blizzard just turned a blind eye to them. And now in Diablo 3, They don't. You should have been more prepared for this. Again, They had 8 years to plan an idea to stop this. Also note: I love how they **** over people with the new patch that was "SUPPOSE" to fix botting. FYI: These guys are f**king smart. They make a living off of this. I know they will just work their way around this.

Real-Money AUction House: This is my biggest complaint. Out of all the stuff blizzard could work on, They decide to work on this. Now prices will be insane for the item market in this game. Theres no cap for selling items. So people can put a price of over 500$ on an item. Skillpoints:

Blizzard missed a great chance to pull up the replay value if they let players create their own builds like in Diablo 2. Pretty bad move on their part.

The "ONLINE" DRM:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Please take a moment to look at Ubisoft's SHINING EXAMPLE of why this was a horrible idea to begin with. Now, I can understand Blizzard was trying to cut down on piracy. But who in development thought this would solve the problem? Private Servers are already starting to appear to be worked on from I understand.
  61. Jul 6, 2012
    The game, though fun for a while does begin to degrade into grinding at times.I personally believe that it is a horrible idea to put in an actual real money auction house, which could lead into exploitation, and hacking.
    Though I still feel immersed by the story. Though I find it very redundant to make a Single player game still on a server
    Generally: Wait either there's a sale on Steam
    or other. Expand
  62. Jun 27, 2012
    I played for about 100 hours on my main character and about 20 hours on the rest of my characters. Unfortunately, as is the standard with Blizzard games, you need to put this amount of time into the game in order to see anything relevant to the actual game. At about Act 4 Hell I discovered that the balance of the game is worked around the Real Money Auction House (RMAH). The reason this is an issue is because pieces of gear are sold for around 100k minimum yet it takes around 2 hours to farm that amount prior to level 60. At 60, the rates increase a bit, but not enough to carry you to gear that will allow progression through Inferno; this gear is sold upwards of 300k gold each piece. All of this would be moot, except that as many others have also noted, the itemization is abysmal. I understand that not every piece is going to be usable, but over the course of 60 levels I managed to find only 2 or 3 pieces of relevant "rare" gear. This means that you end up playing a Chinese Gold Farming Simulator or opting into the Pay 2 Win (p2w) model. The story is definitely not worth playing for. However, the one saving grace for the game is Covetous Shen. Absolute gold. At least I was lucky enough to never have any connection issues like other players. Happy I got my refund though, as they (developers) severely broke the game. Expect D2 and be incredibly disappointed. Expand
  63. Jun 28, 2012
    I am a Blizzard fanboy, I buy whatever they made ever since Warcraft II. I was so eager for this title, awaiting it's darkness, it's evil undertones, it's epicness....I have met a wall. I did not find this in Diablo 3, actually I found a PRODUCT instead of an adventure. Blizzard has yet again made a game that it's HYPE outshines anything else. I actually enjoy D2 much more than D3 now that I have been camping inferno. There is nothing I enjoy in blizzards games anymore. I was disappointed in WoW Burning Crusade, Lich King, and now Cata. SC2 delivered with a fair game, fun pvp. D3 is now the nail in the coffin. I no longer will await anything from Blizzard. The games are just not fun anymore, they have been coporatized into a product for me to purchase instead of the drug i needed. Good luck in your future blizzard, and seriously consider taking a look at what D&D wizard is doing for the NEXT version. Notice how they are starting in a good direction. Take note, Expand
  64. Jul 13, 2012
    I've been playing this game since day one. I accepted the bad launch and plague of problems that followed, thinking it would be worth it in the end. I waited and waited for the patch which made inferno remotely possible for players to enjoy. At every turn I was disappointed. The game lacks the character and ambiance of Diablo 2 and the fact that it was produced by the creators of WoW, not the original Diablo 2 team, really shows. The game is built around the real money auction house. Even the gold auction house is a farce because people can buy gold from Blizzard which in turn bumps up the gold prices to up to unattainable heights. I would not recommend this game to anyone hoping for a continuation of the game play or feel of Diablo 2. The story sucks, the voice acting is bad, characters feel hollow and music is a massive downgrade from it's predecessor. The only way to succeed in the endgame is to purchase your items. Terrible game from a greedy developer - stay away from this one. Expand
  65. Jul 3, 2012
    It's a good enough game to be worth your $60 if you liked Diablo 2. Long term though, there's not much reason to keep playing after you level up a character or two. Given all the rebalancing and changes, and despite the long wait, it clearly was not playtested enough prior to launch. The ability to buy everything you need on the auction house means you won't often find items you can use, cheapening the item search experience quite a bit. Expand
  66. Jul 6, 2012
    Ugh. Played it for about two weeks on and off, then everything just became extremely boring. Nothing to make you want to keep going, nothing to make you want to level every class, and I'm pretty sure i could say about 100 other bad things.
  67. Jul 6, 2012
    Diablo III can only be described as a step (or many, rather) backwards from Diablo II. Twelve years after Diablo II's release, Diablo III fails in many ways. The story is banal, forgettable, and completely lacking. The graphics are not on par with many other modern releases. The game play becomes too repetitive, too quickly. The game has little to no re-playability. The always online DRM makes for a laggy experience in single-player. It kept me entertained for less than two full playthroughs only thanks to my interest in other classes. The game is not worth $60 dollars. I would only recommend this game if it were worth less than $10. Save your money for something better. Expand
  68. Jul 15, 2012
    The only reason I give this 4 points instead of 0 is because I *did* get ~150 of playtime out of the game, which, based on my videogame-buying philosophy that I want to get at least 1 hour of entertainment per dollar spent on the game, technically means that it was a good purchase. However, the reason I give it such a poor score is because I was expecting to get so much more out of it than I did instead of outright quitting after a month of playing it. Simply put, the game is a colossal disappointment. There is *no* way that it took Blizzard so many years to develop this game's engine, graphics, mechanics, etc. It's painfully obvious that the game, from the ground up, was built around the Real Money Auction House business model, and that's what most of its development time was sunk into. The game is probably fun until you hit level 60 and Inferno Difficulty, when you slowly begin to realize that the game was pretty much solely designed as a cash-grab on Blizzard's part. Feedback for the game has been overwhelmingly negative, but in response to this massive blowback, Blizzard has only made changes to the game that I believe only served to make the game even worse and even more of a disappointment. Just ask someone you know who quit, and if they didn't quit before Patch 1.0.3, that patch was almost certainly what pushed them to finally quit (that was the final nail in the coffin for me). It almost looks as if Blizzard is making changes based on what is most likely to force people to use the RMAH. Meanwhile, the Blizzard employees in charge of interacting with the community via the forums remain woefully silent about everyone's main gripes with the game, addressing only things that people largely don't care about, and sometimes being downright condescending to their player base. They really come off as implying "we'll tell you what's fun, and we are making changes to the game based on what we think is fun." It's as if Blizzard is refusing to face up to the fact that most of its fans hate the game and think it's a major disappointment. Many people feel as if they were bait-and-switched, and that they were cheated and lied to, and when one does some detective work pertaining to news about the game's development from years past, it becomes obvious just how many things were shown and then cut out of the game entirely before launch. This has been a major wake-up call for droves of Blizzard's once-loyal fans who auto-purchased all of Blizzard's games. They are starting to realize that this is not the Blizzard we used to know. Unfortunately, all we're dealing with now is another big, faceless game corporation that only cares about its bottom line instead of what its customers want. With Diablo 3 being lambasted from all directions as a major failure and disappointment, and the upcoming WoW expansion being largely regarded as a joke and/or "the death of WoW," it certainly looks like Blizzard is in a downslide, with 2 of its 3 franchises essentially in the toilet. Blizzard better hope it has something damn good up its sleeve with Project Titan. Even though I got so much playtime out of this game before I got fed up and quit, I still feel cheated out of my $60 because I, and everyone, was expecting this game to have so much more longevity. Expand
  69. Jul 23, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the fan boys and critic reviews. Diablo 3 is a monetized scheme to get players to spend real money (Real Money Auction House) for virtual gear. Admittedly the game is quite fun from levels 1-59, but each difficulty level is an exact repeat of the previous level except that the mobs hit for more damage and are more difficult to kill. However, the endgame is nothing but a gold grind to buy the necessary gear for completion of Inferno level. Another MAJOR issue with D3 is account hacks. Only a fool would spend real money on a virtual item just to have it ripped off. Finally, players are forced to use servers, there is not a client based platform. So when D3 servers are down you cant play. Expand
  70. Jul 26, 2012
    When I first played this game I thought it was quite interesting but after a couple hours later the game became quite repetitive. Although you get skills as you level but its sooo stupid that the characters have so little potential and quite limited. Blizzard should make alternative storylines as you approach different chapters in the game to increase replay. I was hoping that it could give me some challenge but unfortunately it never happened. Expand
  71. Aug 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 launch was a complete failure. The game lags even on good PC, i7-860 with GTX 670 and 8 GBs DDR3 2000 MHZ. The game is dull and very boring. Now I know why a lot of the original developers have been leaving Blizzard. Blizzard no longer provides quality products it once did! This is the crappiest game in the whole series even Diablo 1 is a million times better than this Garbage! One word to describe Diablo 3 would be Boring! Not only that this game lags a lot and always online DRM does not make anything better. People still cheat, hack and steal! Dear Blizzard close your doors you are done as a developer! I hate Diablo 3 it just pisses me off on so many level. I just gave up on this crappy game and Blizzard! The fun factor of this game is zero so it gets a 0 out of 10 from me. Because I would never play this crap ever again! Expand
  72. Jan 13, 2014
    Seriously, this game fail everywhere that diablo 2 succeeded. Now they are killing the game by removing the economy system. Good luck to find items now.
  73. Aug 24, 2012
    Basically Diablo 3 looks like a game, but it is not. Diablo 3 is a product for merchants, and gold farmers. It is a auction house simulator. The whole purpose is to buy and sell items, while Blizzard takes 15% cut of all the auction house earnings.
  74. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is a garbage and a disgrace to the original Diablo from Blizzard North, the WoW devs that made it strip the game from all the elements that make so enjoyable the first 2 games, my advice? avoid at all cost!
  75. Sep 28, 2012
    I didn't want to give this game a 0, but... I am just so disappointed. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. This game was quite possibly the biggest bust of 2012. Perhaps the most overhyped game in almost a decade. Disgusting.
  76. Sep 20, 2012
    I'm still waiting for an apology from Blizzard and I'll probably continue waiting. I waited for years, only for them to not even BOTHER to write a login queue. So there I was, for hours, typing my username and password in only to get "Error 34".

Once I got in, the next few hours were sweet... until I hit Inferno. Now, I thought, was a great time to play with others. So I joined a group
    of players and attempted Act I. We failed, I accepted that. I logged off for the night and went to bed, to try another day.

When I logged back on, my Character was stripped bare. All my money was gone. I had been hacked.

I contacted Blizzard only to get a reply blaming ME for their security flaws. I have NEVER been hacked in ANY game or account. They claimed my e-mail had been accessed, but this was untrue, I checked my Google logs and no-one had logged in overnight. I had no "password reset" e-mail.

I'm still waiting for an apology. I guess I'll just keep waiting.
  77. Sep 25, 2012
    I purchased the CE. Honestly felt like somebody ran up to me and stole my wallet with $130 AU in it. My review does not take in to account any of the login issues and is based of the gameplay experience.

The first day or so of this game was fun as it took me back to the old days of playing Diablo 1 and 2. A lot of friends and colleagues were playing the game. After a week most of them
    had dropped off without even hitting max level. I continued playing with the 1 or 2 friends left in the game and hit inferno. After that the fun experience came to an end. I failed to see any motivation to grind on act 1 and then eventually act 2 over and over just to get to act 3 and maybe act 4 to well... just keep on grinding. If people want to grind a game to may a few $$$ that's up to them. Personally I go to work for $$$ and play games for fun. Just another great example of what Bli$$ard has now become. Sure they might be rolling in cash at the moment from all the suckers out there but are people dumb enough to keep paying for this rubbish... some may be but I hope the intelligent people out there will teach them not to bite the hand that feeds them over and over or they will eventually go without food. Expand
  78. Sep 4, 2012
    I'm rating 1/10 because that's the general consensus of most players who bought this game. Yes, D3 to date is the fastest selling PC game but it has also had the retention rate of a prostitute with herpes. If you're looking for a quality title in the ARPG genre check out "Path of Exile" which, even in it's closed beta state, is still much more enjoyable than Diablo III ever was.
  79. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm really shocked that this is a release from Blizzard Entertainment. It feels more like some sort of free to play cash shop game, where they design it to be mind-numbingly boring and hope that you'll buy things from the cash shop to improve your experience.

Unlike the vast array of other ARPG's I've played, this game just absolutely refuses to let you find your own gear upgrades. The
    intent was obviously to try to herd players to the auction houses to buy items, but considering ARPG's are largely about finding items, this design really ruins the experience. In fact, there's nothing else really to this game other than an incredibly boring, frustrating and defective item system. There (was) no pvp, the social system is basically non-existent--so I guess we are supposed to buy items from the cash shop so we can just log in and stare at our awesome character.

Blizzard removed a lot of things from the previous Diablo games, saying that these elements essentially constituted bad game design, but then they replaced these elements with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So there's now no reason to kill bosses in Diablo 3, (farming bosses was bad design, apparently), there are no skill trees, (skill trees are bad design, apparently), there (was) no pvp, (no pvp is apparently better design than imperfect pvp), not to mention various other elements that were removed from the series.

There's not much of a game here after the first play through, I'd spend my money on another title.
  80. Nov 26, 2012
    The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that it shows that Blizzard now treat their paying customers with contempt, nothing but cattle to milk dry, and it's an attitude built into the games. The Real Money Auction House and Always On DRM mean that now Blizzard can push an update at any moment and you get it whether you want it or not. So if Blizzard want to improve their end of financial year statement, they can push a patch to increase difficulty to encourage in game purchases. Blizzard must have thought the many years they had statisticians monitoring and balancing the economy of Diablo 2 was knowledge they could "monetize". Diablo 3 is setup around the premise of an economy that Blizzard control completely and can fiddle the numbers to maximise profit.
    So it's no surprise then that the game sucks. The idea of "builds" that made Diablo 2 so much fun has effectively been removed by the "casualisation" of the game at the earlier difficulty levels to increase the customer base. It's now impossible to ruin your character. The game is now about finding (or paying real) money instead of finding items. The plot is also horrible.
    Avoid at all cost.
  81. Dec 25, 2012
    When you look at a trilogy of games and think to yourself, "The first one was better than this." you have to stop and really start to think. I played Diablo 3 for about 250 hours with a single character and around 30 hours on every other character. The vast majority of that was begrudging game play. Mind you all but the last 48 hours of play was before the implementation of the RMAH ... and in the last 6 months - maybe 10 hours if i'm (extremely) generous with the estimation. I was willing to accept that this was a new era in RPGs and though some of the core elements were the same - this was going to be a glorified hack and slash when compared to it's predecessors. But wait, weren't D1 and D2 just hack and slash games by that standard? Well, yes and no - did you do a lot of hacking and slashing? yup! did you get penalized for changing up your strategy when you hit an overpowered group of mobs? nope! I mean, they talk about the skill systems versatility, but penalize you for changing skill sets per encounter ... which is very counter-intuitive for the type of game that it is. What about the areas? Well, they're really pretty - but rather than side quest tunnels and pits being a sizable sprawl of enemies they're way too succinct. Going through them seems like an interruption to the linear quest rail rather than an exploration mechanism. It might feel better if you went into a side area and actually found a unique or rare monster, and even better if you would get something good (or at least valuable in gold) - but there's obviously a major disparity between good items and useful items. The sound is great! The cinematics are beautiful! The story was filled with horrible cliched characters and poor story telling (including but not limited to plot holes, continuity problems, incorrect lore, and a heavy reliance on technology over substance). The game's engine is solid but the multiplayer is almost enough to make me want to quit playing any other game online! As a whole it is definitely not greater than the sum of it's parts ... very much the opposite unfortunately. Other games released this year have done much better in capturing the essence of Diablo's game play and story telling. Expand
  82. Jan 21, 2013
    Real Money Action House ruined Diablo 3. That simple! Blizzard's greed for money transformed a supposed to be fun, challenging grind game, to a mega nerd / rich kid pay2win game. Not to mention the absence of the promised PVP ...
  83. Apr 5, 2014
    This game became the victim of DRM and microtransaction greed. dont buy it.
    I loved diablo 2, and i naievely expected diablo 3 to be an improvement on the diablo 2 system. i was painfully disappointed. I got this game free and i still want a refund.
  84. Dec 31, 2012
    First of all: game is empty. There is nothing except iterative game passing. The first one will let you .. well, just play the game on a difficulty level different from normal. After that prepare for a long, very, very, damn VERY long grinding while you reach max level. This game is not: frightening, atmospheric, interesting, re-playable, fascinating or even memorable. If you are looking for a real diablo spirit, play the first one. Plot? Quests? hi-level content? Pvp? Sorry, guys, you'll have to pay it when next DLC arrive. What can I say? No. Just that simple. Rest in peace, Blizzard the masterpiece-maker. Now it's all about money and trash and soap. in short: yo dawg i heard you like grind so we put a grind in your grind so you can grind while you grind. Expand
  85. Jan 2, 2013
    It would be hard to give this game more than 2/10 back in May 2012, when it was released. The developers worked out most of the bugs and connection problems, unfortunately not all of them.
    The game itself is pretty good, but there are so many problems connected to it that it becomes a rather nerve wracking experience rather than an enjoyable game.
    First of all, you need to be connected
    to battle.net at all times. A single disconnection caused by overloaded servers during the weekend can lead to losing your hardcore character without any chance to see it again. Another problem is the horrible economy in this game, which is mostly dominated by automatic bots selling gold. And if these huge issues weren't enough, we can take a look at the loot design. The drop rates for good items are so incredibly low that you shouldn't be surprised if you don't find any top-end item even after 500 hours played. After all, if everyone could get the top items eventually, no one would be using the auction house and Blizzard wouldn't make profit. The game currently doesn't even have PvP, which was promised to players shortly after release and it's heavily overdue.
    The actual gameplay is enjoyable for a limited amount of time. If you're into grinding games, you might enjoy D3. For me, this game is not worth its price. I've been waiting patiently for developers to repent themselves after the release fiasco, but to no avail. It's a half-finished game for full price with continuous development slower than I thought is possible.
  86. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is a shame. It betrays the atmosphere of previous episodes,which were much darker. Cooldowsns in skills, forced internet connexion, real money device, seriously. Blizzard has gone completely wrong and is destroying so many ips...
  87. Mar 8, 2013
    Extremely repetitive and more importantly BORING! Good graphics but that is it. They designed the game around an auction house instead of designing it around the player. Check out their website they have finally admitted how bad the auction house has been for the game. If you want to use the auction house all the time might as well get into stocks.
  88. Mar 26, 2014
    when I picked up the demo I thought I was going to be given a new experience, not a generic hack and slash from 1997 with colorful dialog thrown in the the fun of it. besides all of the hours put into abilities and voice overs this game doesn't fly too far from generic, generic holy trinity click fest garbage. Where is all this hype about the expansion coming from? its the game thing but with more things in it besides new innovative game-play. Expand
  89. Jul 19, 2013
    The worst gaming purchase I've ever made. Besides enforcing draconian DRM without makign a truly connected world, fails to reach the bar raised by its predecessors in the art direction, music, mechanics and story. It's lame narrative, coupled with a purposedly dumbed down control (for console testing), linear gameplay and shallow progression system makes this an incredible disappointing experience. Expand
  90. Sep 25, 2013
    A shadow of the former Diablo's. Sadly this game does not live up to the ones that came before. Its too easy, and lacks the depth and breadth of the other Diablo titles.
  91. Nov 12, 2013
    Blizzard got everything wrong when developing Diablo III. Even the graphics do not do the originals justice. The enemies and levels are drab and uninspired. Mini games and creative side quests would have been a welcome addition. The loot sucked and the always on DRM was a disaster. The classes were very "Meh", Path of Exile is far better IMO.
  92. Mar 12, 2014
    So many promises made and none were kept. After such a long wait for this game it's a huge disappointment. Diablo 2 is far superior to this game. I need to be logging on to battle.net to play single player??!?! They have no backup servers so if the game server goes down I can't play at all? DRM done horribly wrong.
  93. Sep 23, 2012
    Review reduced from 1 to 0 after playing Torchlight 2. This game is bad, but in comparison to TL is it down right horrible. Torchlight... Thank you...
  94. May 21, 2012
    Where to start...Well I suppose the likely first place is how horrible the game looks. The cartoon graphics remove any 'horror' from the game entirely. While they add a large amount of gore, it is mostly wasted since the game looks like something you'd watch on Saturday morning. The skill system is dismal. There is zero customization for skills in this game. Why would I ever need to make more than one barbarian, oh that's right, I won't.

The story line is awful, dreadful, and possibly the worst offense this game has done. It's predictable plot and contrite characters are just plain bad. Who approved this script, the ineptness is vast.

Those are just 3 things that make this game awful...besides the always on DRM, Bugs, Glitches, Disconnects, etc.

Couldn't recommend staying far enough way
  95. May 19, 2012
    1) No preparation. They were not able to handle the pre-orders with their server so that people wasted a day (the first day) and their 60 euros of pre-ordering waiting in front of the desktop like ****
    2) The quest is unique (and in my opinion not so long) without any secondary mission just to extend the game.
    3) The game is reduced to be a game where people just have to reach high levels
    without fun.

A game like this isnt worth 60 euros, just saying.
  96. May 29, 2012
    Well I have to applaud Blizzard in all reality. From a business stand point it would seem like you're on the perfect track to make the shareholders at Activision very pleased.

You've taken a game with so much hype built around it, a game with a rabid and wildly large fan base, a game vaulting off of the massive success of the previous generation - and you've turned it into your
    sacrificial lamb. I understand that WoW is dying. The cash cow that you have been able to depend on to fill your coffers is finally drying up. It had a great run. MoP is not likely to defibrillate the failing heart of what was once the WoW empire, and you know this. Starcraft 2, while an amazing game, cannot replace this cash cow - then again it wasn't meant to. How could it? Your business foresight is very attuned. Because of this you carefully planned your next chess move: Diablo 3. What better way to birth another golden goose than to bank an entire game off of the most addictive part of what Diablo 2 was: the item grind. Pure brilliance. And so, from the ground up, you formed this game to be solely about item exchange - this would be the titan built to replace WoW's subscription based bankroll in the form of micro transactions. Except one thing: you're boring. On May 15th 2012, after nearly a decade of anticipation, we were given Diablo 3! Except, it's not quite Diablo 3. It's a slimmed down, cut up version of the Diablo 3 everyone was taught to expect. Except, it wasn't given to us, we still had to pay you full price for it: $60. My how the mighty hath fallen. Why is it not Diablo 3, you say? Well let's see. Anyone remember all those teaser videos spoon fed to the community over the past 3 years? Videos slowly leaking to us glimpses of the content we could expect to experience? I do. From nearly FOUR years ago: @2:10 "These current weapons just won't do!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0YkUH6r6c&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=1&feature=plcp I guess scrapping this idea all together was more developmentally cost effective. @6:30 "Let's see what a real fight looks like." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4K6e2q10g&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=10&feature=plcp Indeed, lets. I'm still waiting, actually. Is it just me or does that environment look entirely more engaging than the atmosphere we've purchased at release? @2:00 Did he say randomized, dungeons, quests and encounters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAyxY7mjzI&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=7&feature=plcp If their idea of newly generated fights, quests and environments is a continuous cycle of the same things from a pre-conceived list, he's spot on! So where's the beef? - some might say. The beef is that this is not Diablo 3, this is an imposter. A hologram. An artificial replacement. A lame duck substitute for what hype built it up to be. A cut up and slimmed down version of what should have been. In essence: a slaughtered, sacrificial lamb. That leaves myself and thousands of others saying indeed, where is the beef? Blizzard's answer: there is no cow level. But hey, we got rainbows and unicorns! Is anyone still in complete denial about how truly boring this game is or have people started to shake off the honey moon dust? You eliminated enchanting, PvP, pet companions and other things from the release version so that you could market it as part of a later expansion for more money. (This is a trend in gaming that several developers have been following; withhold content you've been advertising for the past two years and charge a premium for it at a later date. I shouldn't have expected Activision-Blizzard to be any different, shame on me. You didn't include a single player mode because you can't make money off of people if they aren't using the AH in a multiplayer format. Less work for you in the development stages, and forces people to engage in the micro-economy that your bankroll is based on. Again, brilliance. Which leads me to my final point There is so LITTLE dynamic to this game I cannot believe it took this many years to create it. In fact, I don't. So why the long wait? I'll tell you: economic law. Years to iron out the legal details for a global launch of RMAH. It doesn't take an overly intelligent mind to figure WHY they would want to use a RMAH and get a cut of (a lot of) the transactions. That's fine. Here's the problem: you built the entire game around a pure gear grind, and then force that gear grind to revolve around the AH, specifically the RMAH. There is literally no other dynamic. When you build a game from a purely business stand point, you're not building a great game - and a great game this is not. In conclusion, gamers, do you really want to spend your time on yet another slave-like gear grind? If so, eat your heart out. You'll find no better place to do it! If not, there are a plethora of other games out there much more deserving of your $60, I promise Expand
  97. May 15, 2012
    Last Blizzard purchase I make...This company has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. I know that WoW had a shaky launch and some rough patches, but that game was an MMO! This game is just a DRM logon!

As for DIII:
    very dated graphics- I understand the desire to sell to a broader audience, but limited animations, single viewpoint, and screen shake?! The enemies all look
    like mannequins rather than hellspawn beasts. I was more afriad of Doom 2 monsters than these! No single player/DRM -enough people have mentioned this
    Customization- much like what happened with WoW Cataclysm, there is no more choice in development. I dont want to play like other people; let me choose, let me fail if that is the case. All skills are granted as the character increases in level. There are no attribute or skill points to customize your character.
    Overall just boring- maybe the game will intensify with the the 'higher difficulties' (read: stat padded mobs), but I can forsee this game becoming a very one-dimensional gear farming title. Quests are not at all memorable or exciting, nor are they class specific.
    Now that people can 'play to pwn" with the real money auction house, Blizzard is just sucking the money from gamers who simply do not know better (the ~300 people that have given this game positive reviews thus far).

I was able to quit WoW with ease after how bad Cataclysm let me down, and now I will get a refund for this complete waste of $60. Well done Blizzard, you just lost a customer who had been loyal since 1997. At least there is still Valve!
  98. May 17, 2012
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

D3 is a horrible game. Do not purchase it.

If you get it as a gift, eBay it for half price unopened, then take the money and buy a real game like Endless Space.
  99. May 15, 2012
    I beat the game already.
    It's so damn easy I think I'm going to have to try a no items run instead. This is what happens when they get the team from world of warcraft to make the game, instead of the team from diablo 2.
  100. May 16, 2012
    Game is fun...when it can be played. If you have lack of internet access for whatever the reason, you can't play. Even when you can miraculously login to the servers without an error of some sort (37 or any of the other hugely common ones) the servers are down way too often. If only they had given the option of single player offline mode all of this problems people complaint about would have been solved. Forced online to play a single player game is ridiculous. Give us the option to play offline Blizzard. Game is fun so far but no offline kills it. Expand
  101. May 15, 2012
    Considering Blizzard had nearly a decade to develop this game, it really does not show. The graphics are a bit disappointing for a game released in 2012, but I'll give them the appreciation for trying to be compatible with as many computers as possible while maintaining decent aesthetics. The game has been made way too easy for continuing players of the series (no stat allocation, you receive every skill, etc.). Blizzard's biggest mistake was creating a real-money auction house. Given the fact that items have many random power-ups and bonuses, a Windforce say might sell for about $20 but then another one with just +1% extra damage would sell for probably 5x that amount. Who is benefiting from this? Blizzard is benefiting by taking significant percentages of each real money transaction. I understand companies are in this business to make money, but this is a pretty bad move by a company trying to take advantage of their fans. If another game company without a great fan base were to do this, lots of gamers would be trying to boycott it for trying to pull this off. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012