3.9

1. Jul 25, 2012
    Game was great until the nerfs started coming in; don't need some faceless corporation telling me how the game should be played andor enjoyed. What's next on the nerf list? Crit damage? Crit chance? Running too fast? Gold pickup radius too wide? Stacking a particular stat too high?

Crafting is a waste of time. I think every aspect of the game is somehow pointing you to the direction of
    the RMAH. Buy with real money to win. Ever heard of a "useless legendary"? Play this game and you will know what it means. Expand
  2. May 10, 2013
    I don't think I need to repeat what the whole internet is saying. Some points for the graphics, cinematics and soundtrack. This game took me to the highest highs and the deepest lows (in a very specific segment of my life, of course): most excitement I ever felt about the launch of a game, then gradually but surely descending to the most disappointment I've ever had from a game. Now I just don't care, uninstalled it. Expand
  3. Aug 26, 2012
    GARBAGE!!!

Do not buy this game, save your $. this game is so bad i cant even start to explain why it is bad and not go over the 5000 max char for a review, not even worth the review its so damn bad.
  4. Oct 12, 2012
    Winner of this years Game Developer's Choice award for audio. This fact surprised me until I noticed that all the winners of their awards have a representative on their voting panel. Just pathetic.
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    Beautiful graphics, nice first impression. Very careless changes and maintenance by Blizzard turn the game into a constant source of frustration.
    Every week, your long hours boosting a character, turn to waste due to 'engine balance'.
    Then you spend hours of farming getting awesome items just to login in and see they halved the power of your equipped items.

The only way to like this
    game is start playing it now; or stop playing after finishing it on easy mode.
    If you, like me, started playing on the release date, that's not possible anymore.
  6. May 19, 2013
    This is I believe the worst video game of all time, because of its failure to live up to its potential. The game is just NOT FUN. All your upgrades must come from the auction house or crafting.. boring!!!!!!!!!! Its a boring money pit.
  7. Jul 29, 2013
    Now, I'm not one of those guys who has a mild dislike of something, so he gives it a low score. No, I pride myself on seeing what is good in something. The Good: The environments and sound design are spot on. The areas in the game are lush, the models are well done, the physics engine and amusing and absolutely glorious to see in action. The Bad: Literally everything else. The voice acting is terrible, the plot is full of holes, you must be online 100% of the time, even to play the single player (and believe me, you don't notice how often your internet goes out until a game will kick you off the second it cuts out), the entire game lacks any sort of challenge, there is only a linear progression along a fix skill "road", rather than the skill tree that made Diablo 2 such a pleasure to play.

You cannot allocate points to anything relating to your character. Everything RPG related is totally fixed, and the only thing you can do to affect a character's effectiveness in combat is to buy a new weapon that puts points into your character's "primary skill", which is to say, the only skill that will ever matter to you.

So, lets say you are a Barbarian that has reached the maximum allowed level. You are 100% identical to every other Barbarian at your level. The only differences you have are the abilities that you have equipped, which you can swap out at literally any time, and the weapon that you are holding.

Due to this asinine lack of character customization, you must use a new feature that I honestly didn't think would affect the game. I was, unfortunately, wrong.

I am talking about the Auction House. In game, the weapons that you find are worth around 50 gold. In the online auction house, you can sell your items to other players for hundreds of times that price.

What happens to the game is this: You get frustrated, and because leveling up will not affect your build or character, you go to the auction house, buy a new weapon, beat the bad guy. Repeat ad nauseum until you finish the game.

The bosses are visually impressive, but pathetically easy. I honestly don't even know what happens if you die, and I finished the game on the "hard mode" equivalent.

This is easily the worst sequel I have ever played. This game felt more like a halfway thought out mod for a better game than a full fledged sequel to what was arguably the greatest dungeon crawler of all time. I cannot recommend this. Not even after a year's worth of patching is this game even 1/10th of Diablo 2. Not only is it a terrible sequel, it is a terrible game, and Blizzard should be ashamed for tarnishing this once wonderful franchise this this abomination of poor game design.

If you have a love for Diablo 2, I beg of you, stay faaaaaar away. If you have never played Diablo 2, go buy that instead. It's a third of the price and 10000% better.
  8. Jun 9, 2013
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    diablo 3 is a pretty solid action game (not arpg) and is enjoyable until a certain point, but it suffer from major design flaws.
    resistance and armor are the same thing, the damage of EVERY skills (physical attack, spell, minion) is based on the main hand weapon dps, if you want to upgrade you gear (after a certain
    amount of time) you can rely solely on the auction house.
    i would not recommend anyone from buying it, and the reason i give it a 6, is because the gameplay (smashing monsters face) is very good, indeed the only thing that's good about it.
    if i have to describe diablo 3 in one word, it will be: casualfest.
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    It would be a masterpiece if it was from a small company with 10 workers or something.
    But it's not, it's from Blizzard, it's predecessor is nothing else than Diablo II.
    Unforgivable.
  10. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is a disgrace, an insult, a puke, a shame. It is bad, so bad it hurts. It is made by morons for morons, all in the name of greed. Don't be fooled: everything about it is wrong. Avoid at all costs.
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    this game does not deserve a zero 1 or so on this wasnt that bad but was my most dissapointing game ever
    honestly when i finished this game i cried from the dissapointment i loved daiblo 2 so much i had lvl 98 druid i loved every time i killed the cows in the cow lvl but here i had nothing but dissapointment wimsyshire was crap compared to cow lvl boring drops the ending was sloppy
    aswell i miss the talents the old abilitys and the old hero's the new sorc was so dissapointing no druid just some random guy that looks like he is on crack everything in this game is easy as well the typing is laggy the second bossfight was a random spike all tho was still too easy if i were to say 1 good thing about the game it would be the cutscenes were so good it felt and looked real nothing in this game wants me to keep playing and the comunity is being lost to the better path of exile so 7/10 not good but not bad either Expand
  12. Nov 17, 2013
    Probably the most disappointing game release of my life. I spend days weeks months in total game play, playing Diablo 1 and 2. I waited years for this master to return and what a disappointment it was.

They took something evil, mysterious, challenging and dark and turning it into a Walt Disney click fest for kiddies. Gone are the half naked sprites and up side down crucifixes. Instead
    you are met with animated characters in bloom, which inspire not fear of death but more of a scene of Alice in Wonderland.

What a tragic end to one of the best titles ever.
  13. Fix
    May 21, 2012
    This game is very fun and very addicting. It's not often that I get sucked into a game like I have with Diablo 3. Clearing dungeons with groups of people is awesome. I love that gear isn't BOE. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2300+ negative scores are people whining about DRM. I like being able to chat with my battle.net friends from other Blizzard games so I would always be connected to the internet regardless. Also, playing solo isn't nearly as fun as playing in a group. Expand
  14. May 22, 2012
    This game is a solid 8 out of 10. Nothing too innovative or amazing in terms of its deviation from Diablo 2. That being said, it is a really good game. To me, it's like having that first experience of playing Diablo 2 again, and I can tell the replay value will be high. The atmosphere is much more similar to the original diablo than D2... the music, the Gothic themes and maturity gives it a great feel. The graphics aren't amazing, but it works, anything more would cause lag or require a top of the line PC. It's more streamlined, somewhat more simple but there is a lot of room for having unique builds. I understand from these user reviews that there was a lot of trouble on release, but I bought it a week later and usually play 2-4 hours at a time nearly every day and haven't had a single error or bug. I think some people set their expectations way too high. Expand
  15. Jul 9, 2012
    say what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, one needs a constant connection just to play it. Expand
  16. Jun 26, 2012
    In order to give a non-biased review, a friend and I did a full D2 playthrough before buying D3, and I honestly don't see why everyone is so butthurt. D2 was a great game, one of my all time favorite and although D3 doesn't quite live up to that legend, it's still a pretty damn good game. The gameplay is solid, the physics on the enemies, the variety of ways each one dies and the "impact" of each attack really makes the combat fun and engaging.

As far as server issues go, as a late buyer I've managed to avoid all the connection errors and lag that many pre-order players experienced. I've currently half way through nightmare, and the game has had no bugs, connection issues or other problems of that sort. Many welcome changes have been added to make the game less cumbersome. Many of you have referred to this as "dumbed down", but I for one am glad to see that the game is more user-friendly. Do i miss being able to spend points on my character to make them unique? No not really, because any player who is making a serious build will generally get the str and dex required for their gear and then dump the rest into vitality anyways. As far as skills go, being able to through points into each skill is nice, it's also quite fun to have access to every build without having to commit the entire character to one or another. The runes that modify the skills add a great amount of depth, allowing you to customize your skills to suit your playstyle.

Obviously however, I do have some complaints about the game. First of which, Normal mode is way too easy. I know inferno mode makes up for this (though it has issues as well), I felt like Normal mode was "here casual players, this is the storyline: have fun". It was so easy that I got a touch bored as I one shot entire groups of mobs with ease, never losing any health. Even Diablo himself was a pushover. Nerfs to certain classes and builds is also pretty annoying. Having built your character into a behemoth of destruction, only to have the core of your build nerfed into the ground is a real fun killer. The games storyline (outside of the awesome cutscenes) is rather bland, though I honestly wasn't too engaged in the D2 storyline either. Overall I think the game was well worth my money, and anyone giving this game anything under a 6 really had their hopes set too high. The game had bugs on release and some large nerfs went by, but any gamer worth a damn knows that a game of this scale is going to have some issues.
  17. May 16, 2012
    I find it amusing how everyone gave it horrible ratings because of opening night and not being able to log in. Was expected in my book. I absolutely love the game. The new skills are a change from Diablo 2, but I didn't come here to play Diablo 2's overpowered skill sets and I am not going to compare this game to World of Warcraft or Starcraft like the other idiots do.

Anyways, the
    story is great so far and keeps me wanting to play more to see what happens. I like the flow of the game and the mechanics seem quite balanced. The graphics are not too shabby for a side scroll top down sorta thing mode and are improved slightly from the engine they used for Starcraft 2.

Overall, I am very pleased to have gotten my collectors edition and can't wait for any expansions to be following the D3 line or any other Blizzard game line. Keep up the good work and next time, be more prepared on opening night so you get better user rating :P
  18. May 15, 2012
    Really fun so far. Halfway through Act 2. People complaining are just itching to jump onto the hate bandwagon. Was mad it took forever for the servers to stabalize, but it's getting fixed. I played D2 for several years. Most of the complaints sound like they are from people who have never played the series and just want to get mad. People call it cartoony but the entire second half of Act 1 is just a giant torture chamber (of course after that it'll get called try hard) I never played D2 offline. Ever. In vanilla, you wouldn't get all the runewords, the drops weren't as good, there were no ubers and a lot of other stuff. I'm incredibly satisfied and I'll probably crank up my review whenever the servers aren't spazzing out and I've finished the game. Expand
  19. May 24, 2012
    This game is awesome, i played a monk until lvl 43 then started a barbarian and got addicted to the game once again, and im for shure gonna lvl my barb to 60 and pass inferno with him.This game would be a masterpiece if not for the online, but its still a really really good game.
  20. May 19, 2012
    The irony is that none of the raged nerds that's giving this game zero points wouldn't be able to show us a better action-rpg. Blizzard nailed this game by making D2 more fun, more convenient and more polished. I remember being bored sh*tless when I was trying to clear act 2 & 3's massive emptiness maps in D2. No map feels boring in this game. It's flowing seamlessly. Loot is out of this world. Comparisons are much more easier. Witch Doctor is hilarious and crazy fun to play with. It's simply the best action-rpg there is and even angry nerds will tell you they're currently playing D2 or Torchlight 2, you'll know they're secretly playing D3 and loving it. Expand
  21. May 17, 2012
    Read the professional reviews. Read how they describe the game. Does that sound like an 87 to you? No, it sounds like an 80 or a 75, but because Diablo III has the Blizzard name and advertising dollar attached to it, it gets an 87 on metacritic. It's criminal.
  22. Jun 3, 2012
    Oh man, where to start. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the people that are rating positive for this game have never played D1 and D2. I remember the olden days of Deamons Trainer, PKing people in town for the lulz in D1, as well as the grip of mods available for D2. This series defined my childhood, so when we get to D3... well maybe my judgement is harsh, but its only from the eyes of someone who has loved this game. The new skill and leveling systems feel like they took control right out of my hands. Sure I can change my skill settings to play different, but what happened to specialization? What happened to getting those item drops that you had to think "hmm, more DPS, or that +4 to the skill that Im using?" Hell, what about STR requirements on armor, making you forgo those points in INT or VIT so that you could get that new armor on? The game feels like a dumbed down version of D3. Graphics look great... if this was a 2005-ish release. Seriously, go look at Tyrael's 1 pixel wing depth He turns the wrong way, they disappear. I just feel that this was a major disappointment. I'm currently letting my friend use my account, I have other things to play. Expand
  23. May 23, 2012
    Fantastic game. Beautiful graphics, story, voice acting and gameplay. Less than perfect due to the DRM affecting ongoing gameplay (network lag when I'm playing single player... seriously?).

These zero scores make me laugh.
  24. May 20, 2012
    Assuming you could play the game problem free its probably worth an 8, but the fact I can not play it, and as yet have been unable to maintain a solid connection due to Blizzards servers being overloaded and underprepared makes the 8 irrelevent, I officially give this game a 1 because its unplayable which by definition means its a bad game.
  25. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is in no way an improvement to Diablo 2. It fails in every way possible. And for the record I didn't buy this game BECAUSE of all the problems with it.

Always online DRM require you to be at Blizzards mercy, play with their buggy servers, with severe lag.

Diablo 3 has no LAN, No open net because Blizzard is scared hackers will use the files to destroy their new cash cow auction
    house.

Diablo 3 has No skill trees, No skill points, copy & paste characters with only gear differences making the only difference between your character and the next the gear you got at the cash cow auction house.

Diablo 3 is being hacked relentlessly by the second week. With over 28,000 threads (not posts THREADS!) worth of hacked players on Blizzards own forums. Blizzard is outright denying all of it, It's so bad two games journalist have been hacked one of them a eurogamer reviewer who gave the game a score it didn't deserve.

Blizzards Greed driven answer to this was to make a buck out of the hackings and aren't interested in helping people, only selling their broken and bypassed authenticators.

Meanwhile Blizzard just keeps on denying the problems with their game. While trying to spoon feed their customers garbage.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!

Go over have have a look at Torchlight 2 by the actual Devs that made Diablo 2. They're giving the fans everything that they ever dreamed of in a looting and hack n slash RPG .
  26. May 15, 2012
    It's pretty much World of Warcraft with a higher camera angle. Did the new Blizzard devs even play the older Diablo games? The game lacks soul, the art is good but it's not gloomy - everything to too vibrant. You can tell Blizzard 2.0 could care less about voice acting, they hired people for cheap and you can hear it.
  27. May 16, 2012
    Looks like the ragemeters are rising...Trolls abound and impatient people who cant wait a few days to iron out the kinks migrating from a SMALL BETA TO A LARGE, RECORD-BREAKING SALES OF GAMERS CONNECTING TO THE SERVERS!
  28. May 16, 2012
    The graphics and audio are good, the game is fun to play. The game is well balance and I will replay it Diablo 3 several time like I did for 1 and 2, good job !!!
  29. May 15, 2012
    After half an hour I had to stop playing because of the latency. With a latency of 400ms (standard in my country) there was a delay of almost half a second between waving the weapon and hitting a foe. Totally unplayable. Blizzard, why so little love to the single player?? This has nothing to do with DRM. They wanted to create another WoW but they failed miserably. Reinstalling Titan Quest.
  30. May 21, 2012
    OK, first off, ignore the bad user review. All of those people are complaining because of DRM, launch day server issues and inferiority for Diablo 2, not to do with the game at all.

The game runs very smoothly, and while the graphics aren't ground-breaking, the effects are nice looking and the game generally looks very good. The sound and the story, and especially the multiplayer
    functions are also very good.

The game is just fun. while it may not be as in-depth Diablo 2, it's still a great game, with a lot of replayability
  31. Jul 6, 2012
    A terrible, repetitive, money grab. Uninspiring art/graphics, quite possibly the worst video game sequel of all time. The ridiculous high praise from professional reviewers really goes to show you these people are either paid off or only played the game briefly. Made me lose faith in the industry.
  32. May 18, 2012
    Why did it take them so long to make this game? Diablo 3 is basically a rip-off of previous diablo games. All character models looks like taken from the previous blizzard games with 0 inovation, same about the enviroment and level design. The game is addictive because of the loot and auction house system but the game play is very repetitive right from the start.
  33. May 28, 2012
    The game's alright with some flaws.

The good: For normal and nightmare difficulties, it's a lot of fun blowing up mooks. No more stupid skill trees, just a set of skills with options you unlock as you level. The bad: Higher difficulties suck. You pretty much need the best gear from the AH or you will be one-shotted. Inferno is pretty much unplayable for a middle-core player. Lots of
    boss combinations are really frustrating. The 30s cooldown on potions and long cooldown on defensive skills means every fight is pretty much do-or-die. You can't run away, you can't stock up on potions. Monsters will hit you even though on-screen you're far apart. If you die to a story-boss you need to start over. Lots of frustration/

Speaking of story, it's atrocious and hammy. Everyone carries the idiot ball, and most of the plot dialog is really poor. There's a lot of pointless GRIMDARK things too, like when you save a soldier and then he immediately explodes. Why? Because diablo is GRIM and MATURE, I guess.

The campaign is also really short, even though you replay it for each new game+ mode. Like, if you play at a moderate clip you'll probably finish normal mode in 10 hours or so. There aren't many side paths to explore, and the side-caves that are present tend to have minimal rewards.

So overall it's kind of fun, but it's also really frustrating and kind of hollow. They should rebalance the higher difficulties and add some sort of infinite dungeon. Otherwise, all that's left is farming for loot so you can farm for better loot.
  34. May 20, 2012
    Most of us are acting on emotion while reviewing Diablo 3. We need to take in consideration that DRM is a bit like Politics. We hate it sometimes, but it's there for a reason. I play games off-line, I play single player. Sure, I spent quite a lot of time online as well, but I do not like being forced to play online. It's a matter of personal preference. So, let me put it out of the way, Blizzard made a huge mistake with their online-only stance, but with their pedigree, I'm sure they will iron out the problems in due time. Now, on to the review of the actual game (error 37 not included).

Diablo 3 brings something new to the table for ARPGs. A complete reworking of the RPG part in your ARPG. When your character level up, the stats are applied automatically, and you unlock new abilities or runes which change how these abilities work. And since you can only use 1 ability of each tree (varies according to your class), you have usually 6 abilities at your disposal and a huge amount of combination that can change the type of character you are. For example, the Demon Hunter can be a beast when fighting swarm of enemies with one combination or a boss killer with another combination.

Graphics and Sounds are below average in my honest opinion. The music is not memorable, the combat sound is great, the graphics well it's decent but could have been better, and the combat animation just fail horribly. Animation varies according to your ability rather than which weapon is equipped. So don't be surprised to see a wizard wield a 2h sword like a golf club when casting spell. Also, it doesn't make any sense for a lot of characters to be able to use some weapons, when they don't even have the ability or animation to use them like the Monk.

Gameplay is amazing thanks to the revamped RPG system. Dungeons are grim (Act 1 had some of the best dungeons in the game), the world is beautifully designed though a bit small compared to the likes of Sacred 2 or Titan Quest. The boss fights are amazing; Act 2's end boss is just a runner up for one of the best boss battle in an ARPG. Loot are plentiful to find, and with a little bit of help from equipment with X% of finding magical items, you bet your gold coins you will pick up some wonderful things on a regular basis.

Now the story. First, let me say this. I don't like Leah. She looks like a little girl from an japanese cartoon or anime. Are you telling me that's the best character design blizzard could come up with for the woman that grew up with Deckard "Stay a while and Listen" Cain? Also, why is she not a be more, you know, badass having to live with that old man since her childhood? Tyrael is awesome, Adria is one milf, the side kicks are fun to have around except for that sorceress who suffers from innocent-flower-syndrome, and Lyndon is just too awesome for his mustache. Overall, the story doesn't let you down provided you pay attention to all the details so that you don't end up asking silly questions like "is Diablo a lady?".

To conclude, it's a good game. It has awful DRM. And probably deserves the 0 it's receiving, but it's unfair towards the people who designed this game to just rate down the game based on strong emotions. It's justified. We paid for a product, we expect to be able to use said product. But that said, think of the developers. They are not our enemies; corporate greed is.
  35. May 15, 2012
    Terrible DRM that requires you to be online and then terrible support from Blizzard at keeping the servers online and actually allowing people to play, or better said not allowing since they did piss poor job at making descent servers. No character customization in 2012, arguably Diablo 2 looks better/less blurry at times, no lan, no pvp or proper pvp after they add arena.
    Not a good game.
  36. Jun 6, 2012
    Been playing for a while now. Long story short, core gameplay is brilliant. Sadly that's it. The story is woeful, the game runs like an mmo, but unlike wow, this isn't transparent, and also has frequent 'scheduled' server maintenance. Gameplay is often effected by lag. The most offensive failure of this game though is the loot system. Just like wow, the gameplay is very loot sensitive. Drops in the game however are pretty much always below your level, and don't have your stats. Instead, the only practical place to get in game loot is via the AUCTION HOUSE, which is not even in the main game. And will allow real money soon. Go figure. The fact that loot that drops while you're playing is effectively pointless apart from selling on the ah is unforgivable given that its a core system of gameplay.. enough to bring down 11/10 gameplay to a below average title of crap. With strings attached. Expand
  37. May 18, 2012
    Heyyo, The witch Doctor is definitely an amazing addition to the game and I love how it's not the same **** repeated. Also? the game doesn't deserve a user score of 0 just because you didn't like the DRM or Graphics. The storyline is ok for a hack and slash... still more storyline than Diablo 1... I mean, OBVIOUSLY the game is going to be about Diablo so how much difference did you guys really expect? The only way they could drastically change the story is to change the location or time... and then you'd **** if they made a game like Diablo 40k or such and it wasn't just Diablo with different character models. Yeah the skill tree is really basic, but it makes fights more strategic since you have to think about what skills you want beforehand instead of being able to just cast as you please (btw check into the "Elective mode" setting ya n00bs) and if you try to rebind on the fly you get pwned.

The server issues is by far the lamest thing about the game yes, but Steam had a rocky start... same with each new COD yearly game but you don't hear anyone ****ing about those anymore do ya? Same thing will happen here.

I find this game more entertaining than Diablo II mainly for the fact it so far hasn't gotten boring after the half way point (I always get bored of D2 in the Jungle part and uninstall). Diablo III seems to be more of a homeage to Diablo 1&2 than it is a completely new experience, so treat it as that, and if you want a different experience? Try a game like Magicka, Torchlight or Silverfall. They are plenty good as well. :P
  38. May 16, 2012
    The game is good, but feels way too carebear. Instead of having like 50 people having 50 different types of characters in the same class, you have 50 people having more like 3 types of characters in the same class. Most of the blame lies with how much this game generation tries to hold the player's hand while they play the game. This one is no different in that regard. Apart from that though, it is still a fun game. Servers were messy the first couple days, but that is to be expected in such an anticipated game like this. People are way too quick in whining about the servers being down as you can't predict how stable servers are going to be no matter how much you prepare for it which is what people fail to realize. They probably could have kept the open beta going longer and got more data for it to use for release day, but I'm sure after a week of it being released, everything will settle down and will be fine from there on out.

I don't like how the game is only 4 acts long. For a game that has been in development for this long, you would think they would try to squeeze as much as they could into this game and throw in at least 5 total acts. Hopefully an expansion won't be too far off and we won't have to wait too long for it.
  39. May 22, 2012
    This is a huge disappointment for all hardcore gamers.The major problem is simplified casual gameplay oriented on non-gamers. And its complement with lots of minor issues from absurd DRM policy to outdated graphics and step back in terms of general design.
  40. Jun 20, 2012
    It is a Diablo game where after normal mode all of the loot that drops is terrible and the only way to progress is to buy a gear set in the Auction House for hell and inferno. Heck I would buy new gear in the auction house every 20 lvls or so and be completely overpowered until I hit inferno act 2.

What is the point of a dungeon crawler when you don't get any gear out of it. They want
    to make everything so rare that people will be tempted to spend real money on items. A complete scam...... Expand
  41. May 20, 2012
    Diablo III should meet your expectations if you're already a fan of the series, but it does have obvious failures. Having to log in to battle.net to play a single player game is stupid. This is not an MMO. It makes no sense that they make the game low-res enough to run on Windows XP from 2001 because they want everyone to be able to play, but then assume everyone has broadband. Outside of California the internet has dead zones, and there are times you just want to forget online exists and immerse yourself in a single player dungeon crawler of which Diablo used to be king of. The streamlined gameplay is fun, and the art direction is good, but it's missing the gloss of being a 2012 release. The locations are varied, but you never get to grind out one hardcore dungeon like in the first one. I miss the format of the original Diablo, but this is still a good game and has potential to improve with new content. Expand
  42. May 25, 2012
    The game starts well but has an extremely bad balancing... The first chapter misses challenge a lot (no challenge at all!). Then after 10 hours you encounter a boss (Belial), and there it becomes almost impossible! I stopped playing the game here, and it very frustrating to pay a game full price without being able to finish it.
    Blizzard try to make you believe it is accessible to anyone,
    but this is not the case (at all). For hardcore players only.
    Ho, and yes, the story is for 12 yo kids only too...
  43. May 16, 2012
    I've followed every game of blizzard since their first SNES ones, but this one is a real fail.
    That's a strange idea not to allow offline play in a the solo mode ... if they fear hacking they should have put the auction for multiplayer only. At the end you feel like playing a cheap MMO.
    Now regarding the game ... the evolution system is too much guided, it looks like blizzard is taking its
    players for dummies as it's so very hard to fail your specialization. Finally it has been 12 years of waiting for so little ... I put 2/10 for the art and universe and -8 for the drm and the extreme simplification of the game. Expand
  44. May 18, 2012
    I've waited for this game for a while, and I really like it. Graphics are great and the story is pretty "meh", thought that doesn't really matter because it's all about the click-click-click anyway. Also, thanks to Blizzard for making their games so damn scalable. By that, I mean it works on my 5 year old iMac, smooth as hell. Great!

And so what about the DRM. Everyone has the internet
    these days, so it's not really a pain in the ass. Remember playing Diablo 2 and getting killed by hackers all the time? Well, that won't happen as easily now that all of our characters and items are stored on the Blizzard servers. Get over it, I say. If you're into it, it's a good game. Play it and have fun. Expand
  45. May 26, 2012
    I really do not understand all the bad ratings about this game. I've started playing to days ago and I've got a lvl 15 demonhunter, lvl 10 monch and a lvl 5 barbarian. So far it has been a total blast, the game is fun and the battles are awesome. Even on normal difficulty I had some situations where I had to act carefully to stay alive. Altough the classes are totally different. Playing a monch is not comparable with playing a demonhunter and the dungeons are randomly generated which means that you will never think :"Uh, I've seen this one before, boring".

The game has an amazing repayablity, I will definatly be hooked for month as I've not tested out the warlock and sorcerer yet. Every class has its own cutscenes... so you basically get different stories per class. I give it a 10 because it is my first hack and slay game and I like it very much.
  46. May 20, 2012
    After finally being able to reliably log into this game, I feel I can write a more comprehensive review.

Graphics
    The graphics for Diablo 3 are still somewhat lacking by today's standards. I know there are some strong opinions on this and we all know that Blizzard tries to make the graphics as universal across computers as possible. Nonetheless, I can't say the graphical upgrade between
    Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 is significant, but it is definitely acceptable.

Gameplay
    The game is incredibly responsive which is extremely important given what the game throws at you in the later acts. With masses of monsters swarming over you, it is a good thing that the game makes it so easy to react in a timely manner. There is one tiny caveat however... there is a slight delay, maybe half a second, when switching between left to right click abilities with the wizard. This was very noticeable when I switched from electrocute to disintegrate. It got annoying after a while. I haven't noticed this problem with any other class, however.

Story
    What can be said? The voice acting can be bad. The story meanders about and seems to be scared that you will notice it. The game tries to cover up the story with hidden books which gives lore on the world, but very little context about the struggle between heaven and hell. There always seems to be some "secret" item to solve any and all ills in the world, and of course we must find it. The story seems to be recycle from the previous diablo games and you will meet many many many of the same enemies. It gives a sour taste of deja vu when you feel like saying, "Didn't I kill you in the past?". A lack of creativity here.

Sound/Music
    The music is phenomenal and maybe one of the best parts of the game. There is some reuse (good old original Tristram music) which I felt was a good nod to the original game. All of the music and sound effects added good feeling to the dungeon crawling.

Replayability
    This is a tough one to answer for me. The replayability is both limited and vast. If you enjoy running through the same acts over and over again on increasing difficulty levels, then it has a huge amount waiting for you. If you are content with finishing the game with each character then there is a lot there as well. If you are playing for only the story, you will be done in 20ish hours.

Summary
    Diablo 3 is a good dungeon crawler, but it lacks the polish and diversity of the previous installments. There is a limit on the customization of the characters, despite what has been sold by Blizzard. Yes, I was a gem crafter and played with sockets. The system for changing your stats is a bit clunky, and for me there was a nonexistent feel of my character gaining strength by my guiding hand. The evolution of my character was less under my control and more up the game on what gear I found. Is the game worth playing? Absolutely, you shouldn't miss it. It is worth $60? No... wait until it goes down. Battlenet will still be here and you will have paid less.
  47. Jun 1, 2012
    Utter garbage. Terrible story, graphics look about 7 years old, half-baked gameplay mechanics and absolutely no atmosphere. Looks and plays like a Saturday morning cartoon for 4 year olds. The whole thing is just a thinly-veiled cash cow with the real money auction house just a glorified pay-to-win institution. Looks like almost every critic reviewer has been paid off by Activi$ion Bli$$ard as well. RIP Bli$$ard. Expand
  48. May 15, 2012
    Regardless of the outdated graphic and gameplay. The worst is 11 hours past , still cant play. Blizzard, you make this game for nine years, nine years! And here comes an unplayable online game? Shame on you!
  49. May 18, 2012
    This game is average at best and I don't count the problems caused by the always-online play. First as an ordinary RPG it is really short, linear and too simple. Character customization is next to none, then there are no skill trees. The cinematics are good, but the in-game graphics are not impressive. The plot in general is good, but characters and dialogues are quite bland. The UI is surprisingly mediocre, given that Blizzard are also the makers of WoW. The multiplayer is supposed to be a big selling point, but it is really lacking. All the things that are well done in WoW are bad in Diablo - there is no voice chat, the chat system is extremely limited, the AH interface is lacking. There is no PVP as of yet, they say it'll be added at a later date, but why the hell, they had plenty of time. There is no synergy between the hero classes, you all just dish out your damage and try to stay alive. Add to that the little content this game has I can't really see the replay value. Yes, on higher difficulties mobs will be a bit stronger and you will get a bit stronger items to be able to fight them, but where is the fun in that? It is still the same 10-hours-of-playtime content you already know.
    I think Blizzard really just wanted to cash-in on the franchise and did half-assed job on this one. There are much, much better RPGs and Online RPGs out there.
  50. Oct 9, 2012
    Well after 60+ hours of playing the game I think I can finally conclude that there are way too many problems that are ingrained into the game due to design choices made by Blizzard. The first 10 or so hours were fun, it was new, it was shiny new, but after that it simply went downhill.

It's biggest and most unforgivable flaw is of course the loot drops. They are geared around the entire player population and no longer (like Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2) geared around the individual player, so what you get is total junk loot most of the time which then forces you into their gold or real money auction house to get items that are appropriate for your characters level just so that you can move on in the game.

Sure, some players may have the luck (somebody has to right?) and those items in the auction houses have to come from somewhere, and they do, from the lucky players or the players that have no life and do nothing but grind for hundreds of hours in D3, or from bots that grind just as mercilessly so that they can sell the good loot to real live players for gold (or real money) which they then turn around and sell the gold to the fool players that are willing to buy from 3rd party sites. Anyway, my point is that the loot is geared to drop around the entire population of players else their auction house wouldn't even work for them. So you can either grind for tens or hundreds of hours in hopes that you'll get a decent upgrade or go to the auction house and buy it with some gold or real money.

This directly conflicts with all of the ARPG's that I've ever played and I've played a lot, the whole auction house deal basically takes away the one guilty pleasure of these types of ARPG's which is to find new loot that are upgrades for your character.

Next we have the total respec, where you have no perminence with your character as you can change the skills as often as you change your socks (actually, probably more often) which means there's basically no reason to reroll a new character, just go to the auction house to buy some new gear to accompany your new chosen skills.

All in all this game has been a total and complete let down to both my wife, myself and about 75% of our friends that also bought it. Both my wife and I had been wanting a D3 since Diablo 2 LOD was released and have waited patiently for the past I don't know how many years, 7 or 8 years now. Unfortunately the game is so seriously flawed by poor design decisions by Blizzard developers and there's just no way to fix it as it's prime function for Blizzard is to make a revenue stream out of the auction house. As long as the auction houses remain, the loot drops will be based on total player population and the game will never have that feeling of achievement that you would normally get in games like Diablo 2, Titans Quest, Torchlight 1 & 2, Sacred etc etc etc, the list goes on and on an don.

I originally scored this game a 10, that was 4 hours and 54 minutes into play, it's now Oct, almost 5 months after release and the grind is still there and that is ONLY in HOPES that you might get an upgrade. please take my word for it when I tell you that it's simply not worth it, especially at the $60.00 price tag.

If on the other hand you hurry down to Toys r Us you can pick up Diablo 3 right now for only $9.99 If you buy it for under a 10er, then you'll likely get your moneys worth out of it with one play through, assuming you get loot that let's your character keep moving forward.

I can no longer in good conscience recommend this game to family or friends or even my worst enemies. Expand

51. May 15, 2012
    Bad launch, but while playing, I was having a blast! Very Pretty graphics, true to Diablo sounds. Sucks no LAN play, but that's the way of the world these days. When torrenting dies, maybe videogame companies won't be so protective of their property to require always online connection.
  52. uah
    May 20, 2012
    I cannot play the game I bought, this is a 0 rated game for me.

Not allowing people to play the game because the servers are down it is just plain stupid.
  53. May 22, 2012
    I don't get it why this game get such low scores of users.The game's story is all right, battling enemies is fun (especially in co-op) and it has a high re-playability. Sure, the server has been down some times and the single player requires an internet connection (which is somewhat stupid) but I just don't get the low scores. Maybe a lot of D1 + D2 fans did expect far more from this sequel, but I (as a new player to Diablo but not to Blizzard games) rate this game an 8 because it looks good and plays good, with just some damn small issues... Expand
  54. Jul 2, 2012
    Played the game for 10 hours with a bunch of my friends. By the time I finished Act 2 I had 0 desire to log back into the game. I honestly consider this game a waste of 60 dollars. The ten hours I did play weren't fun so much as a way to waste time. There is no PvP of any kind, There are no RPG aspects to make leveling an event worth succeeding in. Every single character has access to every single spell and no one plays anything different then you, even if they do, it will never matter to you as PvP is non-existent. The servers are riddled with issues and you can't play in a single player mode offline, so when the server goes down the game is over for you. There is no story and what some people do call story is a joke. The graphics are out dated by computer game standards and the gameplay hasn't been changed in any way from the previous games created by blizzard. The scenery is boring and makes for a bland experience no matter what area of the game you are in.

The final straw of this game comes in the form of the real money auction house. As it was released the desired goal of Blizzard was made clear. This game is literally a means for them to make money off of people buying items to win the game. Everyone purchases the best available items at extremely high costs (it was attack speed based weapons, costing 250+ per weapon) after millions of dollars had been transferred in this way they nerfed attack speed (silently) then started the selling over.

If you want a game that costs you hundreds and hundreds to win, then Diablo 3 is the game for you. If you want a game that is fun, has a good story, Interactive and interesting gameplay, Multiplayer with PVP. Then look to any other game, none of those will be found here.
  55. May 18, 2012
    I love this game. Graphics are fine as hell I don't know what people are complaining about, gameplay excellent and story well scripted. Overall GOOD GAME! Although the internet problem is not a problem for me cause I'm constantly on the internet.
  56. May 16, 2012
    Diablo III delivers what it's supposed to. It's got a distinctly old school feel, not only due to the controls and features, but also the classic fantasy setting. It's very addicitive. I played til 3 am and I hardly noticed the time simply because I was having a lot of fun. The skill system and level advancement is slightly too simplistic for my tastes, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay. Graphics are good, sound is reeeaally good.

D3 feels very polished, I didn't experience any bugs at all. The servers were down twice last evening for about 60-90 min total out of the 6 hours I played. They did post warning messages before closing down for maintenance though, it didn't bother me that much. So far I'm giving it an 8+. It's a great start. A very solid multiplayer fantasy action experience. If they get the PvP right then it might just reach 9.
  57. May 17, 2012
    Was not really excited with this game after playing the beta but boy was i wrong. This is the most fun and addictive rpg i have played in a while. I was hoping for maybe a slightly longer game, but the difficulties and future expansions will keep me playing this game for a long time .

I will probably get hated for writing this, but i am GLAD for the DRM. The worst part about diablo 2 for
    me was all the hackers/modders making bots while they are at work. The DRM should help prevent alot of haacking and bots which will save the auction house :) LOVE THIS GAME Expand
  58. May 15, 2012
    Really the RMAH kills the game.
    It's the justification for the always online killing modding and LAN.
    The game really isn't long because of this, it may be alright for the 10 or so hours you play, but accept that the RMAH almost directly kills longetivity.

I'd wait until the game is piratable or something, because right now it's not worth the money. It's a shame that blizzard has
    completely turned it's back to the real fans for more money. Expand
  59. Jun 1, 2012
    Stay away from this big bag of rubbish its not worth your time, money or bodily fluids. Its bad in every way and it lets its fans down in everything it does or tries to do. Blizzard must have paid all these critics a good deal of money for them to give this unholy mess such good reviews.
  60. May 15, 2012
    Can't even install the game after it's been out for a day, It could be understandable from someone else, but for a game that was beta tested for months not to mention an open beta stress test. This is complete BS from one of the "Top" gaming companies, I'm done with blizzard, i charged D3 back on my card and am just done, IDC if they freeze my account they are a **** company.
  61. Jul 2, 2012
    4 is probably unfair, but I hoped for so much from this game. After less than a month, I entirely stopped playing. I think the short explanation why is the meaningless random loot and the repetitive nature of the end game. The game is pretty and it is easy to drop in and out of games with friends, but it just lacks that loot-crack element to keep me coming back. Fun for a while, but not staying power. Expand
  62. May 16, 2012
    Its amazing to see this battle of near perfect scores vs. reviews of zero. This fourm dosen't actually rate diablo 3, but seems to suggest to me more of the caliber of person that posts their review on Metacritic. I know that your frustrated that you had to wait on game release day to play online, but really? Go for a walk and realize that these are just temporary problems that will be fixed in a few hours. I experienced the same problem, and logged on later at night. So far, i'm really impressed with Diablo 3. The gameplay is quite engaging and the new weapons damage indicating the spell power system is quite rewarding. I find that finding that perfect damage dealing weapon is ever more emphasized than is making sure a large number is in a spell stat that might not even be useful in later levels. Please, people. Get back on track. Despite a hickup in the launch this game is a lot of fun and will continue to serve as a great sequel for years to come. Expand
  63. May 24, 2012
    DRM is pathetic, im was not mad on DRM im ok with little lags i think they fix that but when my account and lot other people got HACKED because of Diablo 3 security foult this end here payed 69$ for what ? 4 days of waisting time and get HACKED ? DRM is just ridiculous and need single-player, changed my 10 score to 1
  64. euu
    May 16, 2012
    Not even the most drooling blizztards can defend this one. Not only is the game dumbed down from its predecessors, removing all kind of character building and strategy from the game, not only do the graphics look like something from 2007, not only did they abandoned the dark tone of D1 and D2 and instead added flashy anime attacks and WoW characters but the game is basically unplayable. DRM doesn't stop pirates, at best it delays them. The only ones really affected by DRM are the actual buyers who need to wait hours, even days to play their game. Unfortunately, Blizzard had us in their pockets. They took advantage of our nostalgia and presented us with tedious, badly-written and just plain silly game. Hell, the game isn't even made by Blizzard North, the company that made the first two. You're better off playind Diablo 2 for the twentieth time than this. Expand
  65. May 31, 2012
    I've put in about 70-80 hours into this game so far, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth at this point. But is it a good game? Diablo 3 has definitely improved when it comes to being user friendly with a polished interface. The game just can't seem to live up to Diablo 2's greatness, though. Whenever I got a new piece of loot, it just didn't give me that same thrill. Maybe it's because of the fact that I know I can just go buy that piece of loot on the auction house if I want to. I really don't know, but it just didn't give me that same feeling. Since the game is designed around getting better loot, I have little desire to continue at this point. I've made it into Hell difficulty, and it's fun, but there's just nothing there to keep me playing. Expand
  66. May 28, 2012
    Games like Diablo are problematic. You have the previous title that broke all the rules, gave hundreds of hours of fun, and included many, many features that the gamers really loved. And then, after many years of wating, comes the new brother. You are excited! Overwhelmed! You expect NOTHING less than perfection! And BAM! You realize that this is "not" diablo, because it doesn't have all those "perfections" you want. This is, ladies and gentelman, the opinion of 95% of the bad reviews of this game. People will ALLWAYS look at the bad side of things, in almost every new anticipated game. I've played the first and second titles of this game, and still has them and even play them from time to time. Diablo 3 compared to the previous titles is pretty equal to me. Why? Because the CORE soul of what makes diablo game a diablo game is still kicking and living! Yes, it has his downsides like DRM and temporary server issues and some bugs for dessert, but it is still diablo and it is still addictive like hell! I've played over 70 hours and got to inferno difficulty. You start from Normal difficulty, getting used to game mechanics: piece of cake. As you progress throught the difficulties and story, and gets harder and more rewarding, up until inferno which you can get killed from 2 hits. The story, character development, cinematics, and skills are amazing! i would advise to listen to every dialog and commentary that there is in the game. And at the button line: I was mad at the servers. I was mad of the DRM system. But even with all this, i saw what diablo 3 has to offer. and i smiled. And you, If you love H&S games/Rpg games/ or you a fan of diablo series, GO BUY IY. you will NOT be sorry. Expand
  67. May 15, 2012
    After a few hours of gameplay, I can safely say that Diablo 3 is a fun, minor distraction. It takes me back to my days of playing Gauntlet with my pals. D3 is a mindless, crazy-go-nuts hack-and-slash with some semblance of strategy. Really, it has about the same amount of challenge as its predecessors. I doubt it will keep me amused for long (certainly not as long as I'd hoped), but maybe the future content will be mildly interesting. Of course, given its shaky start, there is simply no telling when exactly that content will come. The connectivity issues are inexcusable; in no way does Blizzard deserve leniency in that regard. It might have been okay with their MMORPG eight years and many millions of dollars ago, but now? No. No, Blizzard. Unacceptable. However, I feel that once that's hammered out this game will equate to several movie's worth of entertainment (about $60) for the average gamer. Mind you, I feel the average gamer isn't going to pay out of pocket for gold and top-of-the-line pvp gear, but then I'm no marketing strategist. I -have- considered the underwhelming customization options and I've concluded that it's an improvement. Sure, they've taken away the skill points, but they have given each skill a lot of variants with which to mix and match. Now that I think about it, how in-depth was D2's skill point system REALLY? I don't know about you, but I always ended up maxing four or five skills and concentrating on those; you see the exact same thing here only they've taken skill-management-regret out of the equation. As per the Diablo design, D3 has a lot of loot variations with randomly generated dungeons and increasing difficulty for future tours. Mechanically, it works. Is it revolutionary? Nah. I was not expecting it to be. Blizzard isn't in the business of 'revolutionary'. BUT... once you sift through the mire of technical issue, you're left with a decently-executed dungeon crawl with potential for fun with groups of friends. Considering that Diablo 3 is free to play (for the most part), there's no harm in checking back in later months to see how patching has improved the experience. Sadly, it's no surprise that the deplorable launch has spread psychotic rage throughout the community, and despite there being a smorgasbord of stats, gear, challenges modes, and difficulty levels, hardcore gamers will not appreciate all the stream-lining. Some attitudes may change when they finally release their pvp content, but, again, who knows when that will be? For me, Diablo 3 would be in-the-green with a 7/10, if not for the incompetent launch and missing features. Certainly not the worst thing I've seen, though, and it may improve over time. Expand
  68. Jun 28, 2012
    I never thought I'd see the day that I'd right a Blizzard game a low review. Yet here we stand at that day. To understand what it is about this game that is such a letdown and overall makes the game so poor, you need to know what Diablo 3 was meant to be. It's name implies it is supposed to be a sequel to Diablo 2, and therefore it should be Diablo 2, but better, right? Well it isn't. Diablo 3 is the bastard offspring of Diablo 2 and Call of Duty. The bones of Diablo 2 are there, but they have been covered by the awful casualization and monetization of the CoD franchise. So what do we have? Always-online-DRM, causing single player lag and forcing you to have an internet connection to play. Massively inconvenient. The RMAH. Blizzard takes a 15% cut. Do you know why? Because this game is built around you using the RMAH. They want your money, pure and simple. The RMAH isn't for your convenience, just so Blizzard can "sneakily" take your money. The Story is atrocious. I came in expecting Blizzard level story-telling and got a terrible, poorly thought out plot with forgettable characters, bad voice acting, and embarrassing dialogue. Never has a fantasy game made me wish I wasn't playing a fantasy game before. Gameplay is solid, but the game itself is boring, lacking any of the customization of D2, or the charm, or the fun of playing with friends (yay, I can play with four people, because this game is made for consoles). This is really something I never thought would happen. But the immaculate Blizzard has done us wrong. I'd have happily pre-ordered every game from them till the end of time, but after this fiasco? Blizzard has lost a customer, and a fan. Rating: 4.9/10 Expand
  69. May 15, 2012
    I'll give this game a 6. Because its a wonderful game, but you can't launch a RPG nowadays that does not let you customize your character's appearance. Preset characters? WTF I expected more from this game in this aspect.
  70. Dec 31, 2012
    Obligatory 0 for online-only DRM. An unforgivable offence. There might be something worth playing under the DRM, but I'd have to pirate it to find out.
  71. May 15, 2012
    Seriously? Stop trolling the reviews. Diablo 3 is a very solid game with great gameplay, great graphics, great sound, etc. Yes, there is an issue with the login servers. It should be fixed soon. By tomorrow or the day after, will you even remember the issues? As soon as they fix the issue (aka as soon as they don't have 2 million people logging on at once), you'll be fine. Until then, just find something else to do. Expand
  72. Sep 20, 2012
    The game runs smoothly and looks pretty good but that's about all the it has going for it. It's extremely repetitive and the loot that you get just isn't enough to make the game enjoyable. Don't waste your money on this game.
  73. May 16, 2012
    A nicely balanced hack and slash dungeon crawler. The graphics aren't anything special though and the gameplay has been seen before quite a lot of times. Though if you enjoy this genre of games, you'll enjoy this.
  74. May 15, 2012
    A hugely disappointing sequel, Blizzard is now on my list of boycotted developers that are ruining the industry.
    -Lag in single player game due to annoying DRM that will arbitrarily take away the product I paid for if my connection fails
    -Pay2Win cash shop
    -COMPLETE LACK OF REAL CHARACTER CUSTOMISATION
    -Atmosphere totally lacking, generic and grindy
  75. May 15, 2012
    I played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem with need for active connection to play, since I enjoy playing with friends more than playing alone. This game reminds me of WoW but with different angle. (I don't like WoW). But there are few things I like. The gameplay feels fluid and the control is responsive. Also you can choose some skills for your companion as well. I wouldnâ Expand
  76. May 15, 2012
    I purchased Diablo 3 on the launch and expected a fully functional product at the release. What I got was a game that wasn't working. I spent hours trying to play the game, but it seems like it's impossible to login and play the game, which I payed 60USD for. This is the first time I've purchased a product which I can't use. I am very surprised that Blizzard haven't spent more time with this game, since it's been a what? 8 year development cycle? How can you release a game filled with bugs and crashes and a non-functional login which makes it impossible to play the game? Oh don't let me start with the PvP and customization aspects they've removed from the game. Expand
  77. May 25, 2012
    I was willing to give this game a fair score...until my account was breached and charcater and all progress deleted...they say it's the users fault, i disagree. if i'm compromised that means my bank account, email accounts, facebook, paypal, ebay, other mmo's, etc, etc. should also be compromised right? as far as i know diablo 3 is the only game for this to happen to me. even my email account wasn't compromised for the hacker to get into my account because it's been 3 days after the incident and my computer and personal info is doing just fine. i just love how it's always the users fault right?

the game's ok, fun but since day 1 release there's been nothing but server problems, auction house problems, and 40+ hours of gameplay was deleted from my account due to a hacking...that's lovely for paying $60.

Game's too short, not even an infinite dungeon, story is bland and graphics resemble WoW which is so lame and childish.
  78. Jul 20, 2012
    A long-time Diablo fan, I am very disappointed by D3. I was expecting a game that would keep me interested and playing for a long time, but instead, I hit max level on several characters, and the only way to progress through Inferno is to purchase items from the Auction Houses. I like to farm, and was looking forward to farming and upgrading my characters when I max leveled them, but it turns out that this game is not the Diablo I once knew. This is supposed to be a gear farming game, and for many people (myself included, and I have over 200+ hours in the game) post patch 1.03, getting your own upgrades to drop is almost impossible. I'm stuck in Act II Inferno, and being a hardcore gamer, I want to progress, but can't because I didn't have the game prior to the patch that nerfed the quality of the gear dropping. Upgrades in the gold AH are too expensive for me to afford, and I refuse to spend real money in the RMAH, so I'm stuck farming and never getting anything of value, and never progressing. Not fun at all. Now I login every couple days to check the gold AH, but don't really play anymore. Until drops are fixed so that people can actually get their own upgrades without having to use the AHs, this game is broken. Other issues include: always online makes hardcore frustrating (I won't play HC because I don't want to rubberband to my death), multiplayer is limited to four players (and you get punished for playing with friends as they take a cut of your magic find), builds are cookie-cutter or you won't survive in Inferno, almost every class has to kite monsters to survive in Inferno (the exception at the moment being a WW barb, but even they must kite at times, and given Blizzard's track record, expect this build to be nerfed), Blizzard customer service is horribly inattentive and they seem out of touch with their player base, patch 1.03 was a horrible disaster, and the CEO has promised us we'll get more of the same in 1.04.

My hopes for this game are all but dried up. If you loved earlier Diablo games, you probably will suffer the same disappointment I have. Avoid for now, but don't hold your breath that anything will get better. It's looking like this might be the beginning of the end of great games from Blizzard.
  79. May 17, 2012
    Ignore the low user scores, the majority of players are too busy enjoying this great game to correct the haters who have been trying to destroy the name of the awesome universe that is Diablo 3. Message to haters: Read the minimum system requirements before purchase! Thankyou Blizzard for yet another masterpiece, now it's time for me to log back in!! :)
  80. May 17, 2012
    hmmm 88/100 critic and 3.7 user, this is obviously because of the servers. BUT, Diablo 3 is actually a sub-par game. It didn't go through as what it was meant to be, if it takes a game company 11 years to develop they obviously had no passion for making the game, and it shows
  81. May 17, 2012
    I'm sorry. I get that you are frustrated by the online issue. But this game is near perfection in every category. Go drown your heads in ice water, there is steam pouring from your ears.
  82. May 19, 2012
    Look at all the sheep defending always online drm bleeting that angry consumers are entitled whiners. Tell me, if pokemon, halo or GTA had always online drm would you bend over and let them ass rape you as long as they put in an auction house? Screw D3 and the blizz fanboys. Enjoy your server crashes, connection failures, lost game progress, gold farmers and lag monsters.
  83. May 20, 2012
    Gameplay wise, Diablo 3 definitely achieves what it set out too. The combat is fast, visceral and an awful lot of fun. The character classes are diverse and the abilities and loot come as thick and fast as you could wish. Areas and enemies alike are diverse and it is constantly a pleasure to gaze upon a new environment as you peel away at the fog of war.
    The Acts of the game are enjoyable
    and while the story is certainly formulaic, it provides enough traction to keep you going through the thousands of demons you will slay.

Multiplayer and the various difficulty levels also give great incentive to come back, although ultimately the majority of game owners are not likely to keep going with the game past a couple of play through's.

It's such a shame then that such a compelling package has been forced into a completely flawed distribution system. While the game its self is great, the fact that it is completely unplayable without being logged into Blizzards battle.net system ruins the immersion. For a single-player game at it's heart, to have lag and even be kicked out of your ongoing game because of a connection issue is not acceptable in this day and age.

What truly is the straw that breaks the camels back however, is the very poor customer service from Blizzard. Since launch the game has been plagued by lack-luster server stability and poor resource management meaning thousands were unable to play. Furthermore at time of writing the Blizzard servers are down again and the official word on the forums is "no word yet on a fix". For a company that runs the most successful MMO in history, such poor infrastructure and customer service can only be the result of poor management. While these problems may be fixed in the future; as a game it works but right now Diablo 3 is a resounding failure as a product.
  84. May 20, 2012
    I'm just shoking by this game... The gameplay and the background are cool and the game really addictive.But com on what's wrong with Blizzard... Online DRM? no possibility to play offline??? And worst unstable server.

You can't have a day without a maintenance, a shut down and more again. Blizzard has lot of money , lot of teammates and they re not able to find an issue to that. I m
    really disappoint by them and will think before buy another game product by them Expand
  85. Jun 11, 2012
    It is bad when you have to update a review and lower an already low score. Low poly models, bad lightning, shader issues, lack of camera movement / zoom. We can list them but we can say: many similar games share these traits. Lag spikes, disconnects, error 37... Ok, some online games stay this unstable for weeks long, Diablo III isn't all alone. Online only single player encourages account hacking but doesn't prevent item duplication? That is bad. And even worse with server side achievement and AH bugs. We can speak about stability issues, hacking incidents, AH bugs, item duplication and other things. We can point to the fact, there is no PVP because the game is half finished. We can see frequent hotfixes because of huge balance problems that shows how some abilities weren't tested at all. We see numerous smaller or bigger issues. We can see how Blizzard lied in russian key related scandals. But sadly when many people tell you, "it was easy to this point, but now I can't make a progress at all" and good drops just don't want to drop even after days... Then you have to say the game can offer you two things: Boredom because you see no challenge, or boredom because the game is too hard. Where is the fun part? Ok, "flow" (if you learned about psychology) and mindless farming can be "motivating" and "fun" for some. But the same people would have fun as factory workers as well.

Why the game can't even have short part where the difficulty is just right and you can enjoy it? Why everyone sees easy progress then hit a wall and see "no progress"? Because the balancing mechanism that help to set proper difficulty are just wrong, and small tweaks and adjustment can't fix it. The core game mechanism is flawed and it needs a total redesign. This with the well known issues is enough to rate this game as a 0/10.
  86. May 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Did I buy the "My little pony" edition? If you want a good diablo game, do yourself a favor and forget this one existed. The difficulty settings are ridiculously easy, my first 3 intense days of gaming didn't meet any significant challenge ; the environment and enemies seem to come straight out of a disney movie. The only thing it has in common with its predecessors is part of its name. Expand
  87. Sep 4, 2012
    The luster begins to quickly fade as the game's soul seems to be as absent as it's namesake's. While a great attempt at recreating what made it's predecessors so successful, this game is bogged down ultimately by one thing, the Auction House.

What made Diablo fun, was the excitement of finding new and unique gear, and the auction house has taken that hunt away from players. The best
    gear is flooded into the market and players are transported far beyond what they normally would find. Then, instead of a major upgrade every few hours of play, all the player has to look forward to is a minor one, every few days.

The real money auction house has done even worse. It has made balance more important to the developers than the feeling of power that made Diablo so much fun to play. If you find a great way to slaughter the denizens of evil within the world of Diablo, you can count on the developers "fixing" it, to protect the balance of the auction house.

Perhaps it can be salvaged into something close to it's predecessors, but not likely while the auction house remains.

Let's hope that it becomes clear to the developers. Lets hope they are humble enough to listen and hear. The game has potential, but it hasn't reached it yet.
  88. X19
    May 22, 2012
    I won't lie. This game has issues that shouldn't exist. It is overpriced for what you're getting, especially when comparing it to other titles in the genre. The graphics don't fit the game's theme. Voice acting is sub-par for the most part. The story holds little interest. The leveling makes Skyrim's leveling look complex, meaning it's really really linear. It takes up +10 GB on your HDD or SSD. It REQUIRES constant internet connection to play. Not to mention the fact that it's prone to crash due to so many random errors. So why buy it? There's no reason to buy it. You're not missing any anything. I don't recommend this for anyone. But why did I give it a 6? Because it's still fun. Mindless fun, but fun all the same. The loot is still there and it's still addicting. I enjoyed my time with this game despite it's flaws and Blizzard's paranoia for using extreme measures to stop pirating. Would I buy it again? No. Do I wish I could get my money back? Absolutely. Expand
  89. Jun 9, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a okay game, but not the game I was waiting to show up. The graphics are a little outdated, but once you start liking them there is no turning back. The main reason for 8 is simple. The game is fun, fast-paced like hack-n-slash should be, but there is not so much new content if you decide to play it again, and there is no singleplayer. Most of the bugs would have been avoided simply by adding singleplayer to the game. Expand
  90. Jul 14, 2013
    One giant pile of garbage. They pretty much destroyed the Diablo Lore and did nothing but create a boring game based on making from the auction house for Blizzard. Possibly the dumbest and biggest failure in video game history. Avoid this game like the plague.
  91. Jun 20, 2012
    Why this game is the worst game ever ? Because Diablo 3 is not fun. Because rewards are so bad (very bad random affixes, very bad loot tables), because Diablo 3 constantly break players motivation. In term of game design : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/129852/designing_for_motivation.php?page=3
    Diablo 3 is an one-arm-bandit which make we lose each time. I'm tired to lose and i
    never pay one cent more for this (neither gold).
    AH and RMAH are Diablo's cancer.
    AH and RMAH are Blizzard's cancer.
    AH and RMAH could be entire industry cancer.
    Financial things are still our world cancer. Don't insert this on our games.

Help gamers and create an account to say this to Blizzard (because we have better chance to be read here than on their censored forums). I hope they'll focus on fun on their next games.
  92. Sep 28, 2012
    After 200 hours of Diablo 3, I have got 2 sub-60 level Legendary gear drops. I have 2 level 60 characters and 3 more in the 50 levels. It is now that my appreciation for the game begins.

D3 is all about killing bad monsters and looting
  93. Jun 27, 2012
    Very boring and repetitive game. I doubt Blizzard will fix this.. Don't get it.. you have been warned.. Game play is good though so I give a 3 but still it's not worth 60.
  94. Jun 29, 2012
    I'll start with the cons: Must be online, Horrible Story, Very little customization, a little to easy on first difficulty. Now the pros: Enjoyable game play, replay ability, nice gear systems, challenging bosses (later difficulties),
    fitting skills, Gothic overtone, enjoyable multi-player/single-player, classes are diverse and have different play styles, and quality graphics. Despite the
    rage I think this game deserves an 8. Expand
  95. Jul 1, 2012
    I am very dissappointed from what i've expected Blizzard, one of the richest if not THE richest game company, will deliver to me. But I bought a very expensive game that got a REALLY SHORT STORY. The action house destroyed the collecting experience which was one of the most important parts of the Diablo series.
  96. Jul 15, 2012
    One of the biggest disappointments I have ever had the displeasure of playing, a game infected by the same corporate greed that has been plaguing this industry for the last decade and making no attempt to hide it either. I won't even go into the story other than saying it feels rushed, incomplete (likely to make way for expansions) and pretty much thrown together to give the game some semblance of plot. What truly becomes apparent rather quickly is how this game's aspects completely revolve around players using the auction house, be it real money or in-game gold, at every turn in this game one is being goaded into spending money, be it the lack of level appropriate loot dropping in higher difficulties, the fact that gear and not inherent stats determine everything from offense to defense, Blizzard's nerfing of classes who have the possibility to circumvent the gear requirements needed for inferno difficulty, everything in this game pushes people to spend money to get better gear. On an auction house where the economy has been broken since release wich (perhaps intentionally) pushes people to towards spending real money on RMAH. Even the now infamous DRM is all a means to keep that infernal auction house alive and I find it truly mind boggling how Blizzard can not seem to admit that Diablo 3 is being used as a cash cow at the expense of their consumers' enjoyment. The skill system feels heavily uninspired and simplified, the game has been advertised as being gothic horror, but even an 8 year old wouldn't get a scare out of this game. Diablo 1 and 2 felt dark and scary, the music felt ominous, Diablo 3 has abolished this feeling and made way for a game for all to play and enjoy... (and spend money on the auction house). The arrogance of Blizzard's "you play how we want you to play" aproach is another point of interest, classes and mechanics being nerfed leaving certain builds and gear (on wich players have spent quite a bit of money) completely useless, there is just no excuse for how much this game blows in the end. A game used to bring in money at the expense of the consumers' entertainment by taking a much loved franchise and putting a shiny new number on it. Truly sad. Expand
  97. Jul 18, 2012
    I've given this game a good month to review since purchasing it. Back then it had all the normal launch date problems so I excused it and was looking forward to an awesome new installment to the Diablo series.
    The combat is simple, always good in a hack n slash game. Not in the "easy to learn, difficult to master" way that perfect games achieve, but it does its job. People have spoken
    ill of graphics but I pretty much liked the style they went for. I can run it on a multitude of systems, laptops and desktops included. The nail in the coffin for this otherwise fun game is the forced single player online requirement put in by Blizzard that is yet another example of a developer trying to curb pirates by shooting their customer's feet several times. I have yet to play a 30+ minute session without the connection dropping or losing connection with the Blizzard servers. I rarely play with friends, so this is especially off putting.
    I would say Fable is not quite as good as Diablo 3, but it's just as much if not more fun and the developer/publisher of the game isn't outright hostile to those of us who paid for the game precisely so we wouldn't have to put up with garbage user experience such as this.
    I'm never buying another Blizzard game ever. Ever. There is no excuse for Diablo 3 and there's no way I'm ever going to support publishers that do this to us.
  98. Jul 28, 2012
    I will not complain: 200 hours of playing were every cent of this game worth. But I have to admit, that everyone who loved D1 or D2, actually will hate this game. It's not because of any graphics, sounds or even the balance. It's simply because of the feeling, being punished for playing. The loot is horrible, some of the monsters are pretty unfair - not difficult to solve - simply just unfair. Won't buy the next Blizzard game for sure, D3 is just a big disappointment. For people who don't know D1 or D2 and don't want to play inferno, it may be a good game but even then just rated a 6, maybe 7. Expand
  99. Dec 3, 2012
    I was excited for this. That wore off after the second level. Incredibly boring grindfest with a terrible story. One of those games where you hope all the characters will die just so you don't have to play anymore. Can't believe I blew $60 on this.
  100. Aug 5, 2012
    Most disappointing game I have ever played. I cannot recommend this game in its current state. Its fun going from level 1-60, but the end-game is the most terrible idea in gaming yet. The game engine purrs and combat is fun. I even enjoy the new build system. However, in the end the game feels like a scam. Every patch that has come out since release has made the game worse. You use to be able to find gear when you opened a chest but now that doesn't happen. You used to be able to die without paying ridiculously high repair costs, but now the game is nearly unplayable unless you farm for hours a day for gold or buy gold using real money in the RMAH (real money auction house). The drop rate of items is based of the AH(auction house with in game gold)/RMAH, so sometime in the middle of hell mode using the AH becomes nearly mandatory. By the time you get to inferno mode you MUST use the AH to progress, because the drop rates are abysmal. In inferno mode, with a level requirement of 60, monsters will most often drop gear less than 60 that is useless. The gear that is level 60 normally has useless stats that no one would ever want. People who succeed in this game use exploits in-game or in the AH. The game itself is filled with boters who exploit the AH and farm for gold. This makes gold prices on the AH ridiculously high, and making the game nearly unplayable for the average player. The abysmal drop rates, combined with the high repair costs all point players to the RMAH. The drop rate issue, along with the repair costs, and the RMAH have ruined the end-game. The game feels pay-to-win and this will only get worse once PVP is released (there is NO PVP currently) when people will pay $1000.00 to deck out their characters. The game feels more like a scam for your money than a form of entertainment. All my friends who were playing on release who have stopped playing. Besides all of the above reasons, cooperative (co-op) play is discouraged in the end-game as well. Even though its easy to join a game with your friends the massive HP boost the monsters get (110% per player joining) makes it more efficient to play solo. They used to get a massive damage boost too (which made it absolutely impossible to play co-op) luckily they removed that. However, there is a five buff limit in the game which a person could reach easily on solo mode. This means that the buffs you're friends give you will either cancel out a buff you wanted to have or have no effect. Likewise, any public game you join in inferno mode will 99% of the time end up facing a nearly impossibly randomly generated elite pack and thus dying over and over again... again increasing repair costs and making you farm lower content for gold to continue playing or paying real money for gold. There are more reasons I have no included like lack of PVP, consistent lag issues, no off-line mode, lack of customization, and lack of real randomization but I'll stop here. Basically, this game feels like a $60 scam to try to rip you off of more of your money. I have no confidence that they will improve the game. Look into other forms of entertainment for your $60. This is not the sequel to Diablo 2 we have been waiting for; It is the most disappointing game of 2012. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012