Diablo III PC

4.0

1. Sep 23, 2012
    Terrible game. Absolute insult to customers, especially fans of diablo 1 and 2. Game completley ignores what made the first two great. Childish graphics, removal of sill trees and attribute points, loot is awful and predetermined as opposed to randomized loot like the originals, elimination of randomized dungeons(an aspect of the first two which was considered revolutionary), aTerrible game. Absolute insult to customers, especially fans of diablo 1 and 2. Game completley ignores what made the first two great. Childish graphics, removal of sill trees and attribute points, loot is awful and predetermined as opposed to randomized loot like the originals, elimination of randomized dungeons(an aspect of the first two which was considered revolutionary), a ridiculous auction house and an even more absurd real money auction house that forces you to dish out real money to recieve any gear that is decent, a development team that repeadedly insults its custormers by ignoring them and telling them how they should play, and the worst part...No offline mode. If you enjoy terrible game design and being treated like a child, then this game is for you. Expand
  2. May 24, 2012
    This game is okay, but it is nothing like Diablo 2. It has been modeled around being sustainable income for Blizzard.

Currently the only way to be able to farm gear that is worth anything is to use the gear that is worth anything. The only reason people are able to do so right now is because they abused overpowered builds, but they have since been nerfed so nobody else can farm it. Inferno in this game is difficult because of boosted enemy damage and hp, not a change in actual challenge. It's one big gear check.

Since you can't make gold without farming good items to buy good items in order to farm good items, you'll need to use the Real Money Auction House when it comes out.

It's one big ploy for your money, gents... just wait for Torchlight 2 or go play something else.
  3. May 27, 2012
    After thinking about the game now that I've beaten it on normal difficulty with a level 30 monk, I have to say that the game just isnt doing it for me. Visuals aren't consistant, the actual gameplay graphics are cartoony. Sometimes there's a cutscene dialog box with an illustrated picture of the character next to it, like in a standard rpg from the 90's, then there's in game cutscenesAfter thinking about the game now that I've beaten it on normal difficulty with a level 30 monk, I have to say that the game just isnt doing it for me. Visuals aren't consistant, the actual gameplay graphics are cartoony. Sometimes there's a cutscene dialog box with an illustrated picture of the character next to it, like in a standard rpg from the 90's, then there's in game cutscenes with characters talking to each other. On top of that there are outstanding hyper-realistic cgi sequences, and then there are also these sketchy unfinished cutscene storyboard sequences as well, so basically there's 3 differnet art styles conflicting with each other and for me that just takes me out of the experience. Pick one and stick with it for the entire game. Overall the game lacks the gritty darkness and overall gore of diablo 2, and a lot of the areas from this game are rehashed form diablo 2 as well. Audio does the job and the music fits whatever act you're playing, but it doesnt respond to the action like in other games, and it doesn't really stand out even though its professionally done, it's not like you'll be humming the diablo theme song any time soon. So meh, the voice acting is strange at best, the in game chat sequences between your character and whoever it is who's following you are badly written, repeat themselves constantly and aren't very good overall.

The loot system is what most people play the game for but one of the best things about diablo 2 imo was the Horadric Cube which is missing from this game. Instead you get a artisian magic and rare weapons/armor and a jeweler for gems. The artisian will create items with random properties but a lot of the items he can make I wasn't even able to equip on my character, so I stopped using him after act ii and just used items I found on the ground instead. Also you have to play nightmare difficulty to start crafting higher grade gems, and that's really lame because the replay value just isn't there.

The story of the game is pretty lame by rpg standards. It has a few twists but you can spot some of them a mile a way and I stopped reading the cut scenes after the first act, I simply didn't care anymore, the story just doesn't cut it. Overall the game is lacking, its basically a lighter version of diablo 2, it uses a lot of same environments, characters, and monsters, with a story that isn't interesting enough to invest more than a single playthrough.
  4. May 31, 2012
    Welcome to the future,we make games for shareholders,not gamers.
    -Blizzard/Activision
    As a Diablo 1 and 2 player this game is a massive disappointment. With all the hackers and gold sellers in this game i wonder how they will handle it when rmah goes online. Oh and get the best stuff from AH ,how fun is that. This game smells of wow,i bet we get a panda exp too with this in the
    Welcome to the future,we make games for shareholders,not gamers.
    -Blizzard/Activision

As a Diablo 1 and 2 player this game is a massive disappointment.
    Oh and get the best stuff from AH ,how fun is that.
    This game smells of wow,i bet we get a panda exp too with this in the near future.
  5. Jun 1, 2012
    Entertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills withoutEntertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills without knowing exactly how they compare. I'm not an expert player but I resent that the entire game has to be played through on Normal difficulty (which is rarely challenging) before being presented with the choice to increase the difficulty (and thus make the thing more engaging than simply clicking a million enemies to death with little thought or tactics). The always-connected issue is just as ludicrous as others have complained about... I have ZERO desire to play this with strangers online and as for always-on removing the ability to cheat - who actually cares about that other than the hard-core pvp knuckleheads that will still insist that the other guy is SOMEHOW cheating? I'm mostly disappointed that I bought a digital copy of this that I can't re-sell when I am done with it (which will probably be quite soon). Expand
  6. Jun 5, 2012
    I've read some of the more negative comments about how amazingly bad the graphics are in this game. How amazingly bad the sound is in the game. How horrible it is that Blizzard makes you log in for the experience! It's ridiculous when you can't find one thing to say about even the worst game that has some positive spin on it. This game has reasonable graphics and a reasonable story line toI've read some of the more negative comments about how amazingly bad the graphics are in this game. How amazingly bad the sound is in the game. How horrible it is that Blizzard makes you log in for the experience! It's ridiculous when you can't find one thing to say about even the worst game that has some positive spin on it. This game has reasonable graphics and a reasonable story line to follow. You all might as well get used to the format of logging on to play a game. It's a model you are exposed to a lot more than you realize when you gen up just about any game these days. I do have problems with Diablo...After 12 years, this game should have been better in several respects (including graphics, storyline and character creation). However, the pacing of the game is something that no one else has ever been able to replicate or even come close to. The second I let my guard down, then a giant mob enters the story. It's very well done in that regard. Torchlight was horribly paced and completely predictable and for the life of me I'll never understand what people see in it unless your IQ is below 80 (which I'm pretty sure also applies to most of the incredibly negative reviewers or they are under 15). Also, this is NOT an RPG but is an action RPG which is a whole 'nother ballgame. I was disappointed in its length but I must say that it is another game in nightmare and hell modes. Finally, the cinematics are great but way to short. Hopefully, the inevitable expansion will greatly enhance the play of the game. Expand
  7. Jun 5, 2012
    Despite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'whoDespite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'who can cancel the dialgoue/cutscene' the fastest. Not only is the story painfully executed, but the checkpoint system is inconsistent -- completed 3/4ths of a questline in public group, restart solo and you have to start over entirely. Classes are fundamentally broken. 10 years later, and the melee penalty for barbarians and monks still exist...but you won't really suffer from them, until late hell and inferno levels where instant-death is commonplace. Witchdoctors are the pet class, but their pets don't scale and become useless after 30 hours of play. The inferno difficulty is being cleared, but primarily through overgearing and players with hundreds of hours of play (or guilds/friends/sponsors farming items for them). The difficulty curve becomes so steep, that its no longer fun to play. Molten Illusionist Jailer champions will kill 4 players, and continually kill them after dozens of respawns. The game is being solved primarily through overgearing classes and ignoring core mechanics.

The multiplayer functionality is horrible. You cannot browse open games. Chat menus are buried deep within the game. General chat is now enabled by default, to solve a problem where some players were being dropped from the game because tehy weren't part of chat. This allows us to see all the gold selling spam, that was supposedly to be elimianted through the glorious Real Money Auction House (still not working) and battle.net authentication. This will be the last Blizzard product I buy based on their reputation. Save yourself $40, and buy Torchlight 2 -- less intrusive DRM, same or better gameplay, more players (6 vs 4), mod support, and a better soundtrack.
  8. Jun 10, 2012
    The long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decentThe long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decent gear. The crafting system is awful for it's cost in combination with the utter randomness of the crafting results. The old school adherence to point and click movement is annoying at bes;, frustrating and outdated is a more apt description. The lack of any customization when creating characters is disappointing, but I guess it is a minor issue (at least you can pick a gender). The only real replay factor for me came from the classes and how differently they play. However the core gameplay feels repetitive and grindy after a couple playthroughs. The general chat is a joke; it is just a breeding ground for gold seller spam. In the end I feel like Blizzard made this game ultimately for the Real Money Auction House.; which is the one feature of the game I will never use, partly because I am already done with game but mainly because I find the whole concept distasteful and greed oriented. I played for a few weeks before becoming more than bored with the game...I guess I got my money's worth out of it. But the overall game does not best reflect the amount of time they spent developing it. Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2012
    Blizzard had always been a company where the real gamers develop the best games for us. Now, it is just a company where the money is their only goal. After 10 years of waiting and their "perfectionistic" expressions; I would say that this game could not impress me rather I have been disappointed. In brief, I payed a lot of money to be bored after 35 hours of playing. I won't buy anyBlizzard had always been a company where the real gamers develop the best games for us. Now, it is just a company where the money is their only goal. After 10 years of waiting and their "perfectionistic" expressions; I would say that this game could not impress me rather I have been disappointed. In brief, I payed a lot of money to be bored after 35 hours of playing. I won't buy any Blizzard games in the future. And my final score is a huge 0. Expand
  10. Jun 19, 2012
    Cheesy B-movie story-telling, cliche one-dimensional characters, corny voice-acting, non-sensical/comical actions by villains, predictable twists and plotline. Lack of diverse character types within and among classes - no more physical/caster/hybrid - all character types now rely on weapon damage like physical characters in D2. This destroys a huge amount of itemization/gearing choices, asCheesy B-movie story-telling, cliche one-dimensional characters, corny voice-acting, non-sensical/comical actions by villains, predictable twists and plotline. Lack of diverse character types within and among classes - no more physical/caster/hybrid - all character types now rely on weapon damage like physical characters in D2. This destroys a huge amount of itemization/gearing choices, as there's no longer a deviation between decentralized gear (caster) vs centralized gear (physical) vs a build that needs to balance the two (hybrid). Expand
  11. Jul 27, 2014
    Initially rated 0 when game launched, now I'll go with 8 with the 2.1.0 patch. I really like how they managed to steer game back on track. It's fun and plays as intended now. For 10/10 I'd like to see modding or at least some fun game modes other than campaign/adventure/rifts.
  12. Jun 21, 2012
    I gave it a 3. I'll be honest, I've not completed the game, and probably never will. Diablo II true successor this is not.
    I used to play Diablo II a lot in my youth, it was pretty much the only PC game I'd play, it was fun, addictive - and since that time it'd be my 'go to' game every summer, I'd reinstall it, even if just to play for a handful of hours, to experience the magic and then I'd be content. Diablo III simply never delivered any magic from my brief time with the game.
    It's essentially been designed to be a rather dull grind through 'til level 60 where the game quickly goes from a good challenge to broken, unbalanced, mess.
    Loot is no longer designed by way of the carrot and stick method, instead we're given useless drops that serve no purpose but to clutter up our inventories - the real loot is all sold via the Auction House - a system which is a massive point of contention for me.
    The game is overly streamlined, there's a vast array of invisible walls, and locked doors and blocked entrances that only open up as the story progresses - something that Diablo II was not a victim to, to such an extent.
    The story is quite frankly, garbage, and predictable. It offers no intrigue, or mystery. The characters are flat and poorly written - the games use of audio messages to tell of the lore is flawed because it's often interrupted by ingame sequences or completely inaudible over the noise of battle.
    The skill system was designed to offer more depth and more varieties in the builds by way of runes, but it simply offers less variety. It's not particularly creative - and it fails to add some excitement to the basic dungeon crawling gameplay.
    The maps are bland, and do a disservice to the charming art style.
    The multiplayer is basic, the lobbies offering little customization to find a player tailored to your needs, I spent a lot of my time with the game playing with my partner, and while he enjoys the game - as a Diablo newcomer - I found the multiplayer equally as boring as playing alone. The game offers no PVP, it's woefully missed, and something that Blizzard should have put in there at launch.

To summarize;
    - The game is too easy for the vast majority of players, who will lose interest before hitting the harder difficulties (And why should we have to replay the game a handful of times before we get a real challenge?)
    - The loot is not rewarding - the game is a dungeon crawling loot game, if there is no worthy loot, the game has failed on a very basic level
    - Throwaway story that is highlighted evermore by the super linear nature of it's progression

I also find the whole RMAH a very cynical, profits based system and I want nothing to do with it. That Blizzard is being so blatant about it amazes me and does invoke a certain level of awe within me.
    Blizzard can alter and nerf and update the game as much as they want, but it does not take away from the fact that they released a terrible, broken, shallow game at launch, one that does a massive disservice to the franchise and that, for me personally - has made me vow not to support any software they intend to release in the future, Diablo or otherwise.

I can agree that for some people this game hits the spot, is a joy and a wonder, but for me, I will look back fondly on Diablo II, while Diablo III will be long forgotten.
  13. Jun 22, 2012
    Aaah, Diablo... Whatever this is, it ain't diablo. If blizzard would still care about what it's customers want from a game i'd remind them of the following self-evident things : 1) These things do NOT belong in an ARPG : - Cooldown timers on skills - Enrage timers on monsters - A limit on the number of skills that can be used equal to the number of available slots of an action bar -Aaah, Diablo... Whatever this is, it ain't diablo. If blizzard would still care about what it's customers want from a game i'd remind them of the following self-evident things : 1) These things do NOT belong in an ARPG : - Cooldown timers on skills - Enrage timers on monsters - A limit on the number of skills that can be used equal to the number of available slots of an action bar - Frustating progression based gameplay with constant gear-checks and lots of kiting - A constant stream of badly animated cutscenes that can't be auto-skipped - Bland itemization by using an MMO-like stat system and basing damage output on weapon base damage - A RMAH to which players are forced in various ways to find the gear upgrades necessary to progress in-game in any reasonable amount of time - Lack of a singleplayer as well as a LAN-play option. And on top of all that 2) These things do NOT belong in a Diablo game : - Colourful "happy sunshine" graphics - A ridiculously stupid story - The death of Deckard Cain - Tons of breakable objects with NO purpose whatsoever. The Diablo franchise has forever been ruined. The only things done right are the sound effects and the basic gameplay, which should be and still is the most important, but it just doesn't cut it, sadly enough... Congratulations Blizzard, you achieved the unimaginable. Rip Blizzard North. Back to LOD for me. Expand
  14. Jul 9, 2012
    say what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, onesay what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, one needs a constant connection just to play it. Expand
  15. Jul 22, 2012
    This is just such a bipolar game it is hard to review. One one hand, the gameplay is fun for awhile, the loot system is predictable, and the unlock system is nice. One the other hand, the sheer lack of customization makes you feel like your character isnt your own, but a clone of thousands others. It really left me, and others dissapointed from this game.
  16. Jul 23, 2012
    This could've been a masterpiece,but sadly, it's only very good. There's always hope Blizzard will polish it further, until it reaches the level of it's prequel.
  17. Aug 5, 2012
    At first, it was VERY FUN!!!! Ar first i wouldce gave it 9.0 and when PvP 10.0 . BUT!!!!!!!!! It got super boring1
    I want a good story so it gets boring when it gets told so many times. Loot game yeah yeah i dont care it doesnt keep me on the game. Bo r i ng! hahahaha
    I have / had 2 nightmare and 2 normal characters. 7/10. FOR THOSE that like looting like nobodys business and dont care for story ALMOST!!! AT ALL! Then you can like this. It could be awesome awesome game, i bought Collector's Edition
  18. Aug 26, 2012
    GARBAGE!!!

Do not buy this game, save your $. this game is so bad i cant even start to explain why it is bad and not go over the 5000 max char for a review, not even worth the review its so damn bad.
  19. Aug 29, 2012
    The first playthrough of this game is all you need. There is nothing new after you have played through normal mode except numbers are tweaked higher per difficulty to provide more of a "challenge". Normal mode for a new player might take 10-15 hours to complete. For an experienced player, this can be done in less than 4 hours, which shows you how small the game really is.

I forced

I forced myself into a mindless grind upon reaching Inferno mode. The quest for "epic gear" is addictive, but it is NOT FUN. If you persevere at this level, you will find yourself constantly asking yourself "why am I doing this?". I farmed probably 200m worth of gear, yet every piece of gear that you will wear comes from the auction house - the odds of you finding something useful for your class are so incredibly low that after 500 hours of forcing myself to play this game, I have not found a single item that is useful to my Demon Hunter.

Endgame can be summed up as: -Repeat Inferno [Act you comfortable with] over and over (maybe an hour worth of content) until your eyes bleed and your brain begs you to stop.
    -Every 5-10 hours you might find a semi useful item to sell on the Auction House
    -Acquire enough gold through sales to upgrade 1/13 slots in your inventory. If you are expecting longevity, stay away from this game. It boggles my mind that I played as long as I did, hating nearly every minute of it.
  20. Sep 22, 2012
    What a complete let down, and i have spent prob over 10,000 hours playing D1 and D2 but this game is just awful a shame of a game to carry the diablo name...........Diablo 1 was all about the atmosphere.....Diablo 2 was all about the grind and the magicfind.........Diablo 3 was all about the $$$$$$.......
  21. Sep 25, 2012
    I purchased the CE. Honestly felt like somebody ran up to me and stole my wallet with $130 AU in it. My review does not take in to account any of the login issues and is based of the gameplay experience.

The first day or so of this game was fun as it took me back to the old days of playing Diablo 1 and 2. A lot of friends and colleagues were playing the game. After a week most of them had dropped off without even hitting max level. I continued playing with the 1 or 2 friends left in the game and hit inferno. After that the fun experience came to an end. I failed to see any motivation to grind on act 1 and then eventually act 2 over and over just to get to act 3 and maybe act 4 to well... just keep on grinding. If people want to grind a game to may a few $$$ that's up to them. Personally I go to work for $$$ and play games for fun. Just another great example of what Bli$$ard has now become. Sure they might be rolling in cash at the moment from all the suckers out there but are people dumb enough to keep paying for this rubbish... some may be but I hope the intelligent people out there will teach them not to bite the hand that feeds them over and over or they will eventually go without food.
  22. Oct 23, 2012
    This game is GARBAGE. Absolute GARBAGE. I payed 80 f*cking dollars for GARBAGE. The game gives you **** loot no matter what you do, so you have to get all of your gear from the auction house so Blizzard can make even more money. Congratulations, Blizzard: you've ruined the Diablo universe! I'm not even going to try and describe the "story" of this game - it's that f*cking bad. 0/10 forThis game is GARBAGE. Absolute GARBAGE. I payed 80 f*cking dollars for GARBAGE. The game gives you **** loot no matter what you do, so you have to get all of your gear from the auction house so Blizzard can make even more money. Congratulations, Blizzard: you've ruined the Diablo universe! I'm not even going to try and describe the "story" of this game - it's that f*cking bad. 0/10 for this turd of a game. JAY WILSON? F*CK THAT LOSER! Expand
  23. Nov 5, 2012
    At first I really enjoyed this game. The visuals are great and it really sets up a good atmosphere. However the game is lacking in a lot of respects. The developers seem to have a "play our way" mentality. This can be seen in the dumbing down of the stat system and the persistent manipulation of skills done every through updates. The stat system doesn't allow you to dump points into any ofAt first I really enjoyed this game. The visuals are great and it really sets up a good atmosphere. However the game is lacking in a lot of respects. The developers seem to have a "play our way" mentality. This can be seen in the dumbing down of the stat system and the persistent manipulation of skills done every through updates. The stat system doesn't allow you to dump points into any of your attributes, instead it allocates your skill points into attributes based on your class, which disallows for true character customization. The updates are constantly manipulating the skills so that players are more likely to play a character in the "way they were intended." These points alone would be enough for me to conclude that Diablo 3 is a lackluster RPG. Combine it with the a short and sub-par story line (that you will likely have to play several times for gear) and a multiplayer with a "thrown together" feel, I would have to recommend anyone considering buying Diablo 3 to save their $60 and look into buying a different game that actually has RPG elements and a half decent storyline. Expand
  24. Dec 2, 2012
    Game is getting better with every patch and it is good if you just expected what is is: jump in, kill some stuff and relax. Good enough for me but I would expect something more from Blizzard.
  25. Dec 2, 2012
    Let's cover why Diablo 3 is the biggest disappointment in recent gaming history, and why it can't be fixed as long as the game revolves around the auction house.

Playing video games is meant to be a rewarding process - you play the game, it rewards you. In Diablo's case, rewards are in the form of better loot, better stats/abilities and (to a lesser extent) advancing the story.

First, the character leveling and abilities. While the abilities in the game are mostly useful and fun, the game takes away most of the character customisation from you by leveling up your character stats automatically for you. The only real choice you get is to swap between abilities. It's almost as if they game gives you a present, but then has someone else open it for you. Leveling up is also meant to bring with it better loot drops, but we'll get to that.

Next, there's the story. Put it this way - you don't replay this game for the story. Plus the difficuly of the game - What is it with games these days being so easy unless you crank the difficulty all the way up? And why can't I up the difficulty from the start of this game? Diablo is so easy on the Normal setting and even on Nightmare it is embarassing, meaning players who play it for the story get through it once easily, and don't feel the need to play it again.

Lastly, and most importantly, the loot, because at its core, Diablo is a loot game. Nothing beats the feeling of finding an awesome loot upgrade. The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that its loot system has been quite obviously designed entirely around the online auction house economy, and this most important game reward system is severely compromised as a result. Playing previous Diablo games was addictive, because of the constant drip feeding of slightly better loot. The problem with Diablo 3 is that Blizzard wants you to use the online auction house, and wants it to have a healthy economy with reasonable prices for gold and loot. They want good gear to be worth shelling out for. They want premium loot to command a premium price. The problem is when you are dealing with real money, you immediately lure 'bots and professional players to spend thousands of hours farming gold and loot to sell. This necessitates good loot drops to be ridiculously rare, because if loot drops weren't tuned for these players, the auction house would be flooded with cheap quality gear. If the game gave typical players good loot drops, there's no need to use the auction house, and items in the auction house would be worthless. Further, to protect their online real money economy (and handily to also act as DRM), this necessitated the horrible requirement of the game being online only, with a thin game client connecting to Blizzard's servers to proof it against hackers. No internet, or servers offline? Sorry, no game. No offline play forces all players into their new in-game economy. Because face it, if you were allowed offline play, the save files would be offline too, and that opens up the game to inventory editors, which would take money and value away from items in the auction house. To further increase the demand for good gear, they have made the game so difficult on the hardest level that you are fully dependent on having quality gear just to survive, and with good loot drops being so rare, you almost have to resort to pay to win. And repair costs for your gear are also high, meaning if you die a lot, you quickly run out of gold trying to repair the gear you have. Even if you're fine with paying to win, typical casual players have next to no chance of being rewarded for playing the game by having that rush of euphoria that comes with good gear drops that keeps you coming back to the game. So unfortunately the loot reward aspect of the game has been compromised severely.

To add to the disappointment is the level design, which degrades as you play through the game. It's obvious that care was lavished on Act 1, but by the end of the game, that same quality isn't there. The game's signature random levels aren't random enough, not making the game feel unique enough on repeated play throughs. Plus making a mockery of Blizzard's "when it's done" release approach, Diablo 3 is still most definitely not 'done', with the promised PVP feature still missing from the game.

So there you have it. A once-great franchise, compromised by Blizzard Activision's attempt to create another ongoing revenue stream. If this game didn't bear the Diablo name, nobody would have bothered with this game and put up with the awful loot drops and always on DRM. It's unfortunate that Diablo 3 is so unrewarding to play, because there is still a slick hack-n-slash engine in there. I wonder if 10 years after the release of this game, you'll even still be able to play it if Blizzard deem it too expensive to keep the online servers going. Blizzard should have identified these fundamental game issues. This game is too expensive at any price.
  26. Dec 23, 2012
    Wow... I haven't tried the game out but... I'm never going to try it now. Look at the score. It's totally red. Normally people give it 7 or 8 and then you will think about it. But this is too dangerous.
  27. Jan 3, 2013
    Just finished the game on diff. level Inferno (i.e. I played through the game 4 times). I can only say it's a thoroughly enjoyable game, and more than worth the buying price. Is it as good as Diablo II? Hard to say, maybe there's a little less long-term motivation to play it, but it's still an excellent game. How it can currently hold a user score of 3.8 on metacritic is beyond me...Just finished the game on diff. level Inferno (i.e. I played through the game 4 times). I can only say it's a thoroughly enjoyable game, and more than worth the buying price. Is it as good as Diablo II? Hard to say, maybe there's a little less long-term motivation to play it, but it's still an excellent game. How it can currently hold a user score of 3.8 on metacritic is beyond me... people here should realize that giving scores like that basically makes the user score on this website look completely unreliable -- even if you think D2+LoD was better, there's no way that D3 is a 3.8. Expand
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to theDRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to the series/style but a step backwards as far as fans of the series are concerned. Expand
  29. Jul 28, 2013
    When will developers get gamers do not like always-on DRM? Diablo III fundamentally is a solid game, but the business practices of Blizzard Entertainment cannot be excused. Plus, the game only works when it wants to. Its been updated, but its still a frustrating mess. Do not buy this game is all I can say.
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    I looked forward to this game so damn much. The second Diablo game is one of the best games I've ever played because it combined a variety of elements so extremely well and managed to be completely unique and quite different from its predecessor.
    Which is the first and biggest problem with Diablo 3; it's a bloody mess. The difficulty has been scaled back from very hard to kindergarten-hard. The economy is broken you can buy a single item for a very cheap price and you will wreck the next 3 acts that you play. The new skill-system seemed like a good idea when you realized that it didn't encourage switching your game-style. You will literally just choose a few spells and use them act after act after act. The skills are also unimaginative and most are completely useless which is why only a chosen few are good enough for the later stages of the game. This makes everything repetitive and very grindy. Spamming a single ability over and over again until everything is dead is NOT a good way to do things. Which brings me to my next problem; the loot is so boring! In Diablo 2 you could pick up an armour and gain access to an ability that your class couldn't even use. In Diablo 2 you could get a weapon that had a chance of shooting fireballs at your enemies. In Diablo 3 you get items with stats like: +361 dexterity and +270 vitality. They do no difference whatsoever and this is really a deal-breaker in a game that relies so heavily on loot and gear.
    And always online DRM is unacceptable. I'm not even mad that I couldn't play the game when I first got it. That was a long time ago and it was fixed; it's fine. But I should never ever have to be online to play an offline game. That is the dumbest thing they could've possible done and it absolutely infuriates me.
    Diablo 2 improved on great features. Diablo 3 removed them.
  31. Aug 31, 2013
    Basically, DIII is a boring version of DII. I had to stop playing it not long before the end of Act II. It's just... Same thing... Over and over... Almost zero field to experiment with a character. Pre-defined set of abilities. Boring monsters with much fewer specific to them properties. Much less random maps. Repetitive and dull script. Yeah, I had to read what happened up to Act IV, andBasically, DIII is a boring version of DII. I had to stop playing it not long before the end of Act II. It's just... Same thing... Over and over... Almost zero field to experiment with a character. Pre-defined set of abilities. Boring monsters with much fewer specific to them properties. Much less random maps. Repetitive and dull script. Yeah, I had to read what happened up to Act IV, and hell, I was not surprised even once! I understand that story in Diablo game always was needed just to somehow justify the massacre, but remember how much deeper was DI and DII stories! And, finally, what's one of the main addiction to RPG reasons? That feeling, when you YOU make your character stronger the way you want. There's none. You don't raise stats (the game makes it for you), you don't choose abilities (you pick them from a constantly available list), the only way to modify all this is loot and it's random too. But graphics and designs are good. Expand
  32. Apr 5, 2014
    This game became the victim of DRM and microtransaction greed. dont buy it.
    I loved diablo 2, and i naievely expected diablo 3 to be an improvement on the diablo 2 system. i was painfully disappointed. I got this game free and i still want a refund.
  33. May 15, 2012
    Seriously? Stop trolling the reviews. Diablo 3 is a very solid game with great gameplay, great graphics, great sound, etc. Yes, there is an issue with the login servers. It should be fixed soon. By tomorrow or the day after, will you even remember the issues? As soon as they fix the issue (aka as soon as they don't have 2 million people logging on at once), you'll be fine. Until then, justSeriously? Stop trolling the reviews. Diablo 3 is a very solid game with great gameplay, great graphics, great sound, etc. Yes, there is an issue with the login servers. It should be fixed soon. By tomorrow or the day after, will you even remember the issues? As soon as they fix the issue (aka as soon as they don't have 2 million people logging on at once), you'll be fine. Until then, just find something else to do. Expand
  34. May 15, 2012
    I would love to rate the game higher but it appears Activisions Blizzard is unable to correctly implement the right infrastructure in order to load people in, heavens forbid I don't know how Google etc manage so many concurrent users logging in several times a day from various devices where blizzard can't even manage the one device. I'm not sure if there's a video game or that the game isI would love to rate the game higher but it appears Activisions Blizzard is unable to correctly implement the right infrastructure in order to load people in, heavens forbid I don't know how Google etc manage so many concurrent users logging in several times a day from various devices where blizzard can't even manage the one device. I'm not sure if there's a video game or that the game is just made up of various Error Messages. Expand
  35. May 15, 2012
    People giving this game a negative review simply based on launch day quality of service are retarded. There has never been an online game that launched flawlessly. People giving this game a negative review because it isn't a copy cat of Diablo II character customization are also retarded. You should be ashamed to even call yourselves gamers. Innovation and change is what keeps the gamePeople giving this game a negative review simply based on launch day quality of service are retarded. There has never been an online game that launched flawlessly. People giving this game a negative review because it isn't a copy cat of Diablo II character customization are also retarded. You should be ashamed to even call yourselves gamers. Innovation and change is what keeps the game industry moving and keeps gamers interested. The game is an amazing sequel. The interface is a bit rough, but I have faith that Blizzard will polish it up eventually. The gameplay is exactly what I want and expected out of a Diablo sequel. When PvP gets implemented later this year it will simply be icing on an already amazing cake. Expand
  36. May 15, 2012
    It's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in aIt's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in a week, and it only made it a pain in the ass for the people who supported your damn game. Furthermore, the game's combat (and other gameplay additions), graphics, and length are a total disappointment. It's literally just a copy + pasted artstyle from World of Warcraft, which is a complete disgrace when you take into accordance the artstyle used in previous Diablo games. The combat is pathetically easy, even on the hardest difficulty, but that's not the huge issue with the gameplay. You can't allocate your own skill points because Blizzard thinks it's audience is stupid, and you can only have up to 4 friends in a map with you at one time. I'm sorry Blizzard, but now I kind of feel like a **** for lending some money to friends for this game, now I can't even play with them. And PvP isn't even on release! What the hell? PvP MADE Diablo 2. And let's not forget the pathetic running time for this game, some koreans did a blind run of Diablo 3 and beat the game in 6 hours. I beat it in 8. Thoroughly disappointed, and I laugh at the "10" reviews that claim this game is perfection and call people who actually criticize the game (for want of better quality) "trolls". I actually put thought and actual valid complaints about the game, when they're only explanation for the "10" is "IGNORE THE TROLLS".

Hah!
  37. May 15, 2012
    There is so much flaming about this game it is disgusting. There are launch hiccups like every other online game. However, the hours I have played have been incredibly enjoyable. The entire game is a modernized version of the franchise, with the writer of D2 writing the story of D3. I cannot say much about the story at this point but after playing D2 for the past few weeks, D3 is a breathThere is so much flaming about this game it is disgusting. There are launch hiccups like every other online game. However, the hours I have played have been incredibly enjoyable. The entire game is a modernized version of the franchise, with the writer of D2 writing the story of D3. I cannot say much about the story at this point but after playing D2 for the past few weeks, D3 is a breath of fresh air. Expand
  38. May 15, 2012
    After half an hour I had to stop playing because of the latency. With a latency of 400ms (standard in my country) there was a delay of almost half a second between waving the weapon and hitting a foe. Totally unplayable. Blizzard, why so little love to the single player?? This has nothing to do with DRM. They wanted to create another WoW but they failed miserably. Reinstalling Titan Quest.
  39. Jun 9, 2012
    The reason we are so against this game is because what Blizzard is trying to accomplish is a very dark day for gamers. They have created a game designed to get as much money from its consumers as possible instead of creating something fun. The entire difficulty system is one gear check after another, and in order to get gear you must use the auction house. Any item that is any goodThe reason we are so against this game is because what Blizzard is trying to accomplish is a very dark day for gamers. They have created a game designed to get as much money from its consumers as possible instead of creating something fun. The entire difficulty system is one gear check after another, and in order to get gear you must use the auction house. Any item that is any good will be placed in its real money auction, which Blizzard will take a 15% cut of the transaction. So in order for a player to realistically farm items at the highest difficulty they must first allow themselves to be farmed by Blizzard of real cash. If you do not spend real money and give Blizzard its 15% cut, you will only have a frustrating experience while everybody around you gets ahead. Don't allow a giant corporation like Blizzard start this horrible trend of making games that's completely designed to get money from us instead of it being fun. Don't think just because you were a wow player and got this game for free meant that you aren't going to end up paying for this game. Expand
  40. May 16, 2012
    I've followed every game of blizzard since their first SNES ones, but this one is a real fail.
    That's a strange idea not to allow offline play in a the solo mode ... if they fear hacking they should have put the auction for multiplayer only. At the end you feel like playing a cheap MMO.
    Now regarding the game ... the evolution system is too much guided, it looks like blizzard is taking its players for dummies as it's so very hard to fail your specialization. Finally it has been 12 years of waiting for so little ... I put 2/10 for the art and universe and -8 for the drm and the extreme simplification of the game.
  41. May 16, 2012
    Diablo III delivers what it's supposed to. It's got a distinctly old school feel, not only due to the controls and features, but also the classic fantasy setting. It's very addicitive. I played til 3 am and I hardly noticed the time simply because I was having a lot of fun. The skill system and level advancement is slightly too simplistic for my tastes, but it doesn't detract from theDiablo III delivers what it's supposed to. It's got a distinctly old school feel, not only due to the controls and features, but also the classic fantasy setting. It's very addicitive. I played til 3 am and I hardly noticed the time simply because I was having a lot of fun. The skill system and level advancement is slightly too simplistic for my tastes, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay. Graphics are good, sound is reeeaally good.

D3 feels very polished, I didn't experience any bugs at all. The servers were down twice last evening for about 60-90 min total out of the 6 hours I played. They did post warning messages before closing down for maintenance though, it didn't bother me that much. So far I'm giving it an 8+. It's a great start. A very solid multiplayer fantasy action experience. If they get the PvP right then it might just reach 9.
  42. May 16, 2012
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not overly impressed with this return to a classic franchise. I'm not biased by being either a blizzard fanboy or hater here, just a gamer and worker in the industry and I used to be very proud of working on one of the games that Diablo bounced off of back in the day.

In fairness, before I continue, I have to say that it is hard to innovate with a product with the kind of established formula that made the originals so much fun. It's difficult to walk the line between making changes that are acceptible to new players without cutting elements that were enjoyed by old fans.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like blizzard actually tried.

Diablo 3 is an ok game, its reasonably pretty whilst retaining enough of a dated feel that you feel as if you are still playing the same franchise, and thats it. If players are able to complete the game in under 7 hours as they are reportedly doing, then its a safe bet to say that there hasnt been a significant increase in the amount of actual content...

In truth this doesnt feel like a new game. It feels like Diablo 2, rigged to work on direct x 9 at a slightly higher resolution, with voice actors and a cash shop.

And there we come to the crux of it - I already get the impression this was less about the game, and more about making money from commission on item sales. If it takes off, I'm sure blizzard will take the knowledge learned from this product test, and apply it elsewhere.

The most impressive aspect about this title for me, at least, was seeing how badly the gaming community has been pre-conditioned to accept what was an abysmal product launch with terrible community management, where in other industries directors would be fired, stocks dropped and people held publicly accountable. Even more concerning the fact that the community management seemed to rely on fans to shout down the backlash from the people who tried to highlight this very issue..

All in all, its an ok game, a nice reminder of earlier years, but not worth the heafty price tag. Caveat Emptor dear reader, do not be fooled into believing this is anything other than another corporate cash cow for an already highly skilled company of "milkmen"...
  43. May 16, 2012
    this will be my shortest review ever

WHAT A PIECE OF..... u know what i mean and as i said on guru 3d ppl deserve any trouble they get from the servers just because they are brainless automatons... they did not raise there voices for this crap of a drm
  44. May 16, 2012
    In summary: Gets repetitive really quick and feels like a "production-pipelined", risk-free, standerdised game. Yes, you might think the problem of being repetitive is inherent in "Hack 'n Slay" Action RPG, but I think there're some who make this feel personal and rewarding and some who make it a redundancy. For me, regrettably, D3 falls into the latter category. Technically they includedIn summary: Gets repetitive really quick and feels like a "production-pipelined", risk-free, standerdised game. Yes, you might think the problem of being repetitive is inherent in "Hack 'n Slay" Action RPG, but I think there're some who make this feel personal and rewarding and some who make it a redundancy. For me, regrettably, D3 falls into the latter category. Technically they included many things to prevent this: So much skills and runes and skill combinations, but it doesn't add up to something larger. Encounters are almost always the same (monsters coming in from the front of you) and you beat 'em down, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, repeating the same buttons presses. I don't remember any outstanding encounter. And although there's a lot of different artwork and randomization, the levels through the different acts seemed to be really similar to me. Feels like a checklist of locations you run through, locations that don't really depend on each other. Besides a few dialogues, there were no real authentic things for me, no little scenarios that make you smile or smirk, nothing personal. Expand
  45. May 17, 2012
    I was against buying this game for all the stupid crap blizzard has done like the always online drm and the real money auction house but bought it at the last minute. What a huge joke the game is down for maintenance most of the time. Why would blizzard not put pvp in the game but they sure are able to tell you when they are adding in the stupid real money auction house. Shows whereI was against buying this game for all the stupid crap blizzard has done like the always online drm and the real money auction house but bought it at the last minute. What a huge joke the game is down for maintenance most of the time. Why would blizzard not put pvp in the game but they sure are able to tell you when they are adding in the stupid real money auction house. Shows where blizzards priorities are with developing this game. Expand
  46. May 17, 2012
    Giving it a 3 out of 10 so far. Based solely on the fact that I have not been able to even play a couple hours of the game because of server issues. You need a constant connection to the internet to run this game, so when Blizzard takes down the servers there is no way to play. Well, it has been an extremely rocky start, I have tried to clear an hour here and there for gaming, but everyGiving it a 3 out of 10 so far. Based solely on the fact that I have not been able to even play a couple hours of the game because of server issues. You need a constant connection to the internet to run this game, so when Blizzard takes down the servers there is no way to play. Well, it has been an extremely rocky start, I have tried to clear an hour here and there for gaming, but every time I log on the servers are either broken or down for maintenance. Game looks great and is fun, but forcing the PC community to play when you say play is a bit "Hitlerish". Expand
  47. May 17, 2012
    Diablo III... or Diablo II with better graphics and a poor story... Blizzard only has three "lines". And they can't expect to live forever with only three sagas.
  48. May 18, 2012
    Dianlo 3 is actually turned out to be a fun game to play with some friends. Needless to say the game focuses on the coop experience. The mechanics are nice, the gameplay is fun and the story is also quite decent. So yes you should definetly pick this game up, if you are interested in some good old coop fun.
    So that is all i gotta say? Nope.
    So there have been some Statements here which are
    So that is all i gotta say? Nope.
    So there have been some Statements here which are just blitantly dumb. So I will pick up some of these to actually prove them wrong:

Statement 1: The game is casual, therefore it is bad.
    Answer: Ok so the game is pretty much easy to access. Well so why would you say it is bad? Tetris is on e of the most casual Games out there and everyone loved it! I do not see any problem with a game being easy accessible and still being a good game.

Statement 2: No character Customization.
    Answer: Totally wrong. Everyone is just whining about the fact that Blizzard decided to not go with the Skilltree system. Runes which can be attached to your Skills can actually change the way your skills work and therefore provide a wide range of playing styles. I found myself not knowing what combinations to choose, because there were to fricking many! By the way: Everyone who was deeply in love with the Skilltree system Diablo 2 offered should take of their Retro-goggles. Actually 70% of the Skills were either useless or not involved in any build. It was the most efficient to just skill down one path in order to dish out as many damage as possible. Synergy was all that counted.

Statement 3: Diablo 3 is Pay2Win.
    Answer: Oh.. my... God. Would anyone please tell how the hell you can win a game that is focused around cooperative gameplay?! All that the RMAH is actually trying to prevent is that People will sell Items via ebay for high prices. That was by the way the case with Diablo 2 (you could buy runes and hellfire torches online). And the PvP System is just there on demand of the community. And what other solution is there, then to make an arena-mode where you can fight against each other. Open Wolrd PvP does not work with a hack n slay game!

Statement 3: Diablo 3 has bad Voice-acting.
    Answer: Nope. I must admit there are plenty of weird accents in this game but it s not that bad.

Statement 4: It looks like WoW , therefore it' s bad.
    Answer: Ok so some of the Hud elemnts are looking similiar to WoW and the chat-system is almost the same as in WoW (which is btw an evolved form of the Warcraft 3 Battlenet chat system). But actually I do not see any point there why exactly that makes Diablo 3 a bad game. WoW is not a bad game either. Actually it is a pretty good game, and the only bad thing there is to it, is that you have to pay a monthly fee. The game itself does almost anything right when it comes to MMORPG standards. And the Art-style completly differs from the one that has been used on WoW. So to end it here Diablo 3 is a damn good game that defies hack n saly mechanics. And if you look close you will notice that over 80% of the negative Reviews were posted on March 15th. So they are more people raging about the fact, that the log-in-servers were crushed by too many log ins at 12:01 than people who are actually reviewing the game.
  49. May 18, 2012
    The online experience has been perfectly fine the day after launch so any review telling you otherwise is outdated. The game is as polished as you expect a Blizzard game to be and it was definitely worth the wait for me. Both the solo and co-op experience is so fun to do and the online component is very well done. I am liking every bit of this game. The monk is so fast and brutalThe online experience has been perfectly fine the day after launch so any review telling you otherwise is outdated. The game is as polished as you expect a Blizzard game to be and it was definitely worth the wait for me. Both the solo and co-op experience is so fun to do and the online component is very well done. I am liking every bit of this game. The monk is so fast and brutal definitely my type of class. The enemy designs are numerous and the loot plenty. If you like games like this give it a shot. Expand
  50. May 18, 2012
    This game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me comingThis game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me coming back for a long time. The one bad thing I would say is that you have to be constantly connected to the internet which is annoying for single player enthusiasts. Otherwise, a brilliant game. Still stays ahead compared to a lot of other ARPG's apart from possibly Grim Dawn. Expand
  51. May 18, 2012
    There are far many games worse than D3, but $60 for this is absolutely a travesty. Graphics not great, audio pretty weak, and when playing you know that it's not worth even $30 so it makes the game that much worse. Everyone has said enough already, but don't buy this game now.
  52. May 18, 2012
    Now Being in Hell, I feel I can finally write my thoughts on this game. I will not cover the DRM, since it is a well known issue.

The game, when elective mode and the advanced tooltips are active, is a very deep and intuitive system. The runes allow each skill to behave in multiple ways, effectively making your skill tree have MANY MANY more options than Diablo 3. The combat is very satisfying, the mobs are much more intelligent , requiring strategics to defeat, as simple move spamming will kill you in an instant. They will easy wall you and put molten death under your feet. Despite what people say, it is not an easy game. Yes normal is easy, but it was in Diablo 2 as well. If you understand the Lore, the story of this game is very well done, and provides a very enjoyable experience. My only complaint is the disappearance of the old style MP games, instead of this matchmaking.

53. May 18, 2012
    I love this game. Graphics are fine as hell I don't know what people are complaining about, gameplay excellent and story well scripted. Overall GOOD GAME! Although the internet problem is not a problem for me cause I'm constantly on the internet.
  54. May 19, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun, but produces nothing new to the gaming community. Controls are archaic, camera is clumsy and graphics feel plainly odd. I'm sorry, but this game does nothing to bring technology or gaming forward.
  55. May 19, 2012
    This is a great action RPG. Here is why it is good: 1) Gameplay: The gameplay is fast and easy to pick up. There is a strategy involved and you don't have to be a complete toolbag about micromanaging all of the stats for your character. 2) Setting: The creators of this game have kept to the same kind of setting you found with the first game. Its dark and oozes with character like noThis is a great action RPG. Here is why it is good: 1) Gameplay: The gameplay is fast and easy to pick up. There is a strategy involved and you don't have to be a complete toolbag about micromanaging all of the stats for your character. 2) Setting: The creators of this game have kept to the same kind of setting you found with the first game. Its dark and oozes with character like no other game world I've known. The graphics are fantastic as well. 3) The Classes and the Loot: I really like the classes Diablo3 has. Sure, you get the classic Mage, Archer, Warrior type classes but these classes just look really cool and the armour sets are so varied it is insane. It take a lot for me to give a game a 9 but I am really enjoying it. The only thing I would complain about is that it is a very non-open world, but this is really just sticking with the same formula from past Diablo games. Also, in past Diablo games the dungeons were randomly generated which I thought was cool and added to the re-playability. I honestly don't know what all of these haters are thinking. The game is fun, stop nit picking and just chill and play the game. Blizzard has done a wonderful job with the game...video game expert and newbies can play this game which is really great from a marketing standpoint and makes it fun for everyone. Not everybody is a 16 hour a day WoW player, give me a break. Expand
  56. May 19, 2012
    I am rating this game FAIRLY, but 6/10 means I probably won't buy any more Activision products. Another great company corrupted by humongous mega-corporations with all their "focus groups" and "market research".

The game itself was unplayable the first 3 days of launch even single player. That is absurd. To make matters worse, the game is a super easy snoozefest up until you fight

To make matters worse, the game is a super easy snoozefest up until you fight Diablo, and they made him ridiculously hard to kill. Boy, getting snared, then have diablo instantly teleport to you with no animation and 1 shot is fun??

So thanks for ruining another great franchise, activision / EA.
  57. May 19, 2012
    This is Diablo 2 perfected. The new skill system is different but GREAT, no more wasting skill points on useless skills and no need to respec. Party system is very functional and all the server issues have been resolved (it was only released 4 days ago and i havent been booted since day 2). This is a MUST OWN for Diablo 2 fans.
  58. uah
    May 20, 2012
    I cannot play the game I bought, this is a 0 rated game for me.

Not allowing people to play the game because the servers are down it is just plain stupid.
  59. May 20, 2012
    I have a horrible internet connection and can not play this because it lags so bad!!!! It is so annoying that there is no single player, it is the biggest disgrace to blizzard ever. To top things off the game play seems like a first grader re programmed (and did a bad job) the d2 code and made everything that was good go away and everything that was bad a staple. On top of that it is notI have a horrible internet connection and can not play this because it lags so bad!!!! It is so annoying that there is no single player, it is the biggest disgrace to blizzard ever. To top things off the game play seems like a first grader re programmed (and did a bad job) the d2 code and made everything that was good go away and everything that was bad a staple. On top of that it is not addictive in any way shape or form. Expand
  60. May 20, 2012
    Assuming you could play the game problem free its probably worth an 8, but the fact I can not play it, and as yet have been unable to maintain a solid connection due to Blizzards servers being overloaded and underprepared makes the 8 irrelevent, I officially give this game a 1 because its unplayable which by definition means its a bad game.
  61. May 20, 2012
    The game itself is great, immensely addicting. Only issue is constant online connection. There aren't servers in Australia i believe meaning we get quite high latency my ping on average is around 500-800 in a game when i'm playing by myself and no one else is in my game!
  62. May 20, 2012
    I so baldy want to nail someone in the face if they say: the graphics look **** this game's **** because i cant login or the gameplay's too simple. 1. Obviously all the people who are getting errors will be able to get them fixed... a game doesn't get review by it's launch. 2.With graphics it's the most graphically intensive birds eye view rpg I've ever seen, I am running with a gtx 570I so baldy want to nail someone in the face if they say: the graphics look **** this game's **** because i cant login or the gameplay's too simple. 1. Obviously all the people who are getting errors will be able to get them fixed... a game doesn't get review by it's launch. 2.With graphics it's the most graphically intensive birds eye view rpg I've ever seen, I am running with a gtx 570 and I lag on some occasions (I play battlefield 3 on high graphics with a constant 60 fps). 3. the people who say the gameplay's too simple are the people who are still on normal difficulty, so far I'm a lvl 45 witch doctor and it's fun as hell. The complexity of spells are no where near as in depth as wow's but the combat is more fluent in diablo 3. My ping is at around 300ms because I'm in Australia but I don't notice the lag, only a little lag spike every so often. This game gets a 9 from me because it doesn't have enough bosses :D. Expand
  63. Nov 12, 2015
    Updated review 11-12-2015: I feel my first review was unfair because I didn't spend enough time playing this game (based my initial review from part of Act 1). I heard patches and the expansion fixed a lot of the major problems. They did away with the real-money auction house. I'll give it try sometime and give it the same rating as the critics because I really have no room to talk. GoingUpdated review 11-12-2015: I feel my first review was unfair because I didn't spend enough time playing this game (based my initial review from part of Act 1). I heard patches and the expansion fixed a lot of the major problems. They did away with the real-money auction house. I'll give it try sometime and give it the same rating as the critics because I really have no room to talk. Going to give it try later on with the expansion. Expand
  64. May 22, 2012
    This game is a solid 8 out of 10. Nothing too innovative or amazing in terms of its deviation from Diablo 2. That being said, it is a really good game. To me, it's like having that first experience of playing Diablo 2 again, and I can tell the replay value will be high. The atmosphere is much more similar to the original diablo than D2... the music, the Gothic themes and maturity gives itThis game is a solid 8 out of 10. Nothing too innovative or amazing in terms of its deviation from Diablo 2. That being said, it is a really good game. To me, it's like having that first experience of playing Diablo 2 again, and I can tell the replay value will be high. The atmosphere is much more similar to the original diablo than D2... the music, the Gothic themes and maturity gives it a great feel. The graphics aren't amazing, but it works, anything more would cause lag or require a top of the line PC. It's more streamlined, somewhat more simple but there is a lot of room for having unique builds. I understand from these user reviews that there was a lot of trouble on release, but I bought it a week later and usually play 2-4 hours at a time nearly every day and haven't had a single error or bug. I think some people set their expectations way too high. Expand
  65. May 24, 2012
    This game is awesome, i played a monk until lvl 43 then started a barbarian and got addicted to the game once again, and im for shure gonna lvl my barb to 60 and pass inferno with him.This game would be a masterpiece if not for the online, but its still a really really good game.
  66. May 25, 2012
    As a big fan of Diablo 2 I try so hard to like this game, but, the game boils down to economics in the auction house, in other words: Who can make the most gold and thus buy the best equipment. When the developers saw that people could play so well that they didn't need fantastic gear to take down end game bosses they nerfed those characters until they were nonviable for players at anyAs a big fan of Diablo 2 I try so hard to like this game, but, the game boils down to economics in the auction house, in other words: Who can make the most gold and thus buy the best equipment. When the developers saw that people could play so well that they didn't need fantastic gear to take down end game bosses they nerfed those characters until they were nonviable for players at any skill level unless they had ridiculous gear. Lag is ridiculously bad, so bad you think there is something wrong with your computer, but its not you, its them. Security at the moment is also an issue and characters who don't purchase an 'authenticator' from Blizzards online store are easy victims to the simplest of malware programs (that somehow evade modern antivirus tools) that are eager to strip your character naked of gear and gold. In its current state, this game is unplayable, in 6 months maybe they will have things up and running... Expand
  67. May 26, 2012
    This game, (which could have been decent, but not great either way) is marred by the online DRM. The entire game has to be built around this extreme type of DRM for it to "work." Never in the history of gaming, has this sort of antipiracy measure actually stopped the pirates, or the hackers from doing what they do. It hurts the legit players more than anybody. There is a reason that itThis game, (which could have been decent, but not great either way) is marred by the online DRM. The entire game has to be built around this extreme type of DRM for it to "work." Never in the history of gaming, has this sort of antipiracy measure actually stopped the pirates, or the hackers from doing what they do. It hurts the legit players more than anybody. There is a reason that it is getting hammered on customer reviews. Stupid, stupid decision Blizzard. Have you learned nothing from the failures that other games have experienced due to this sort of nonsense? Some people will probably be fired over this decision. In 10 years, people wil still be playing Diablo 2, but the diablo servers will have been down for many years, making it unplayable. Idiots Expand
  68. May 27, 2012
    As someone who enjoyed Diablo 2, LOD, and looks back at the Diablo series as something that had a big impact on gaming... I can't help but feel let down by Diablo 3. This is NOT the game we were waiting for, but it's still probably worth playing.

Getting the negatives out of the way: Diablo 3 has suffered from technical problems out of the gate that persist even now. You're much less

Getting the negatives out of the way:
    Diablo 3 has suffered from technical problems out of the gate that persist even now. You're much less likely to suffer a major bug, or get disconnected from the game now, but the experience still is much more lag ridden then it should be, and using the auction house is a chore of frustration. Progression sometimes requires better equipment, and acquiring such equipment from the AH can sometimes take much longer than it should, as I deal with broken search filters, timeout errors, and other issues that plague the AH currently. The whining on these issues IS somewhat legitimate, and it affected my score of the game, although, you're not going to see me give it a 1, just because the AH gave me an error instead of my shiny new 2H weapon.

The story is, in a word, terrible. There were several points where I felt that it was too obvious what was going to happen yet, what a party member's secrets were, and all the characters are pretty shallowly developed and transparent. I've dealt with a lot of weak plots before, but this is one that's bad enough that it actually hurts the experience a bit. Without giving away spoilers, I was particularly frustrated with the character Leah, and her plot arc. The new hirelings are worthless. I'll just get out with it and say it. They're worthless. They suffer AI issues, such as not healing you when you're at 2 HP and the spell's off cooldown, charging into terrain, and other idiocy, but they're also just very weak in general. Is my enchantress attacking something? I can't tell, because even after giving her the best equipment I'm able, she does so much less damage than my player character, that it's difficult to tell if she's doing anything at all.
    - The lack of usefulness of the mercenaries is a failure, since they would have offered a good deal of flavor as a boon to your character.

There is no character customization (for looks).

Difficulty ranges from laughably easy to BS hard... You might be either falling asleep 2 shotting everything in sight without any fear of death whatsoever, or trying not to be 1 shot by nearly unkillable rare spawns. For example, at higher difficulties, you might face a mob that shields itself becoming immune to damage (until the shield drops), pins you in place from a distance, teleports to your location, and 1 shots you through all your defensive abilities. It'll kill you 10 times before facing a boss fight, where you never feel any sense of danger, and ease through it like it's nothing. It's very frustrating.

Items are another concern. Blizzard made progress between Diablo 2 LOD and WoW, adding in features like bind on equip, and bind on pickup, to help control item rarity. They're missing in Diablo 3, resulting in too many listings of "Legendary" items on the AH. Worse, they added random modifiers on the Legendaries, making them inferior to good rare items that got lucky rolls on their modifiers, and the vast majority of the rare items are trash. If a rare or even a legendary drops, there's no sense of excitement, as you realize that the likelihood of the item actually being useful is quite low. Since everything is soo sooo random, selling items can be difficult. I had a hard time determining if items for other classes were actually good or not, since rare modifiers range from really good to absolute trash.

For my neutral opinions:

The difficulty level between nightmare and hell is more acceptable. Rare packs with a few rough modifiers can make for fun fights. Blizzard has made progress with the disconnect problems, and the skill system, while taking a bit to get used to, offers flexibility with your character. Think of it as a watered down Guild Wars system.

It's easy to group up with a friend, and jump right to where they are in the action. If it wasn't for hacking issues, this would be a generally good feature, which unfortunately, should be turned off at the moment.

The game's art is slightly above average. Environments have this sort of dark watercolor look to them. Cut scenes are pretty, and there's decent production values all round, as far as standard things like voice acting. It's a decent looking game for sure, but environments can feel a little too copy pasted in places... making things feel dated sometimes. So overall, I give the graphics and production values a pass, even though I'm NOT impressed.

For my positives...
    The cut scenes are pretty? I'm actually struggling a little to think of what Diablo 3 does right... consistently... I got nothing.

It's AMAZING to me that the metascore from critics on this game was 89. Guess journalistic integrity is out the window.
  69. May 29, 2012
    I bought this game last night, was able to log in for about 5 minutes then battle.net went down. Tried again this morning and bnet was down again. No offline single player + crappy servers mean this game gets a big fat 0 for being totally unplayable.
  70. May 30, 2012
    The game is addicting but I have major gripes with it regardless. the "RPG" part of diablo is gone; you cannot allocate skill or attribute points yourself anymore and itimisation is incredibly dumbed down, which takes a lot of the uniqueness out of the game and forces you into a cookie cutter build. Add into this that the game is quite short and the replay value is quite limited, which isThe game is addicting but I have major gripes with it regardless. the "RPG" part of diablo is gone; you cannot allocate skill or attribute points yourself anymore and itimisation is incredibly dumbed down, which takes a lot of the uniqueness out of the game and forces you into a cookie cutter build. Add into this that the game is quite short and the replay value is quite limited, which is a department where D2 shined. Worse, much, much worse, is the online requirement. There are at least 2 or 3 major outages every week, preventing me from playing at all or severely disrupting my gaming experience. on top of this, there is weekly maintenance which further disrupts my ability to play the game. Expand
  71. Jun 7, 2012
    Let's see - Blizzard want me to pay 45 pounds for a game where I am permanently at the mercy of their servers. A game whose main ethos is to make the company even more money. A single player game where they can change my character's abilities continually whether I like it or not. A dumbed down game with little variation. Errrrrr...........no thanks. Maybe if it comes down to 25 quidLet's see - Blizzard want me to pay 45 pounds for a game where I am permanently at the mercy of their servers. A game whose main ethos is to make the company even more money. A single player game where they can change my character's abilities continually whether I like it or not. A dumbed down game with little variation. Errrrrr...........no thanks. Maybe if it comes down to 25 quid boys, maybe then I'll think about it. Until then, no way. Expand
  72. Jun 7, 2012
    1 word: Boring.
    I played for about an hour and a half when I first got the game. I was only touched by 1 monster.
    How is that fun? In theory, if I play for 10 or 20 or however many dozens of hours... I can turn up the difficulty. great... fantastic even. Wake me when I get there.
  73. Jun 11, 2012
    Well, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You haveWell, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You have no internet? What's the problem with that? Expand
  74. Jun 20, 2012
    To me, this game is pretty awesome actually, however I can only give is a 6 because of the troubles i had even getting the launcher to work! i must have looked for answers for 4 hours at least. However, the game, once working, is pretty fun and a good buy.
  75. Jul 15, 2012
    One of the biggest disappointments I have ever had the displeasure of playing, a game infected by the same corporate greed that has been plaguing this industry for the last decade and making no attempt to hide it either. I won't even go into the story other than saying it feels rushed, incomplete (likely to make way for expansions) and pretty much thrown together to give the game someOne of the biggest disappointments I have ever had the displeasure of playing, a game infected by the same corporate greed that has been plaguing this industry for the last decade and making no attempt to hide it either. I won't even go into the story other than saying it feels rushed, incomplete (likely to make way for expansions) and pretty much thrown together to give the game some semblance of plot. What truly becomes apparent rather quickly is how this game's aspects completely revolve around players using the auction house, be it real money or in-game gold, at every turn in this game one is being goaded into spending money, be it the lack of level appropriate loot dropping in higher difficulties, the fact that gear and not inherent stats determine everything from offense to defense, Blizzard's nerfing of classes who have the possibility to circumvent the gear requirements needed for inferno difficulty, everything in this game pushes people to spend money to get better gear. On an auction house where the economy has been broken since release wich (perhaps intentionally) pushes people to towards spending real money on RMAH. Even the now infamous DRM is all a means to keep that infernal auction house alive and I find it truly mind boggling how Blizzard can not seem to admit that Diablo 3 is being used as a cash cow at the expense of their consumers' enjoyment. The skill system feels heavily uninspired and simplified, the game has been advertised as being gothic horror, but even an 8 year old wouldn't get a scare out of this game. Diablo 1 and 2 felt dark and scary, the music felt ominous, Diablo 3 has abolished this feeling and made way for a game for all to play and enjoy... (and spend money on the auction house). The arrogance of Blizzard's "you play how we want you to play" aproach is another point of interest, classes and mechanics being nerfed leaving certain builds and gear (on wich players have spent quite a bit of money) completely useless, there is just no excuse for how much this game blows in the end. A game used to bring in money at the expense of the consumers' entertainment by taking a much loved franchise and putting a shiny new number on it. Truly sad. Expand
  76. Jul 18, 2012
    I've given this game a good month to review since purchasing it. Back then it had all the normal launch date problems so I excused it and was looking forward to an awesome new installment to the Diablo series.
    The combat is simple, always good in a hack n slash game. Not in the "easy to learn, difficult to master" way that perfect games achieve, but it does its job. People have spoken ill of graphics but I pretty much liked the style they went for. I can run it on a multitude of systems, laptops and desktops included. The nail in the coffin for this otherwise fun game is the forced single player online requirement put in by Blizzard that is yet another example of a developer trying to curb pirates by shooting their customer's feet several times. I have yet to play a 30+ minute session without the connection dropping or losing connection with the Blizzard servers. I rarely play with friends, so this is especially off putting.
    I would say Fable is not quite as good as Diablo 3, but it's just as much if not more fun and the developer/publisher of the game isn't outright hostile to those of us who paid for the game precisely so we wouldn't have to put up with garbage user experience such as this.
    I'm never buying another Blizzard game ever. Ever. There is no excuse for Diablo 3 and there's no way I'm ever going to support publishers that do this to us.
  77. Aug 18, 2012
    Why give this game a 0? Because it is sooo bad that Blizz has ruined PC Gaming for me. I played 150+ hours and NEVER once did I have anywhere near as much fun as the previous Diablos.. It is uninstalled now. Sadly Blizzards now possesses a deep seated contempt for us gamers.. Every patch that has been release has further enhanced the sucky elements of the game and made it less fun. IWhy give this game a 0? Because it is sooo bad that Blizz has ruined PC Gaming for me. I played 150+ hours and NEVER once did I have anywhere near as much fun as the previous Diablos.. It is uninstalled now. Sadly Blizzards now possesses a deep seated contempt for us gamers.. Every patch that has been release has further enhanced the sucky elements of the game and made it less fun. I started having more fun reading the forums and hearing other gamers complain rather than playing the game.. I CALL THIS A ZERO QUALITY GAME! If you had given the Titan's quest crew Diablo 3's budget we would be looking at a perfect 10 game. It is just criminal making a game this bad with this kind of budget. Now Blizzard is threatening people in the forums to stop complaining about the game or face account penalties. This game just feels like a conspiracy against gamers. Take something fun, and militarize into a money making job. So not fun, and terribly designed. Expand
  78. Aug 21, 2012
    I am hardcore D2 fan and I have to admit that D3 is ideal sequel. D2 sucks in almost every aspect that Blizzard managed to fix in D3. Broken D2 UI - fixed. Boring endgame turning into endless Hell Baal Runs - fixed. Ridiculously **** up melee combat in D2 - fixed. 85% of the skills in D2 sucks and are waste of the points - guess what, D3 managed to fix it with awesome skill system. GoldI am hardcore D2 fan and I have to admit that D3 is ideal sequel. D2 sucks in almost every aspect that Blizzard managed to fix in D3. Broken D2 UI - fixed. Boring endgame turning into endless Hell Baal Runs - fixed. Ridiculously **** up melee combat in D2 - fixed. 85% of the skills in D2 sucks and are waste of the points - guess what, D3 managed to fix it with awesome skill system. Gold was a mock in D2 time, you may have 50kk gold which worth literally **** nothing, and now even 100k of gold worth a lot in D3. Etc, etc, every point that D2 has, was fixed, re-thinked or made from scratch in better way.
    It was definitely worth to wait 12 years for D3 release, this is superior gem in every aspect offering both excellent single and coop modes experience.
  79. Sep 1, 2012
    I played Diablo 2 and much anticipated this game. I loved the single player element, the visual effects and story cinematic's were something magnificent that I will never forget. As a fan I enjoyed this game however I felt it was too short amongst other things which have ultimately left it on the shelf gathering dust whilst Diablo 2 was still being played at this point. In my opinionI played Diablo 2 and much anticipated this game. I loved the single player element, the visual effects and story cinematic's were something magnificent that I will never forget. As a fan I enjoyed this game however I felt it was too short amongst other things which have ultimately left it on the shelf gathering dust whilst Diablo 2 was still being played at this point. In my opinion the fundamental downfall of Diablo 3 was that the developers didn't take enough of the right risks. If there was a focus on more features rather than the testing aspect I would probably be looking forward to logging in tonight. Final word: Fantastic artistic and entertaining game lies within this, its too short and very few will remain to play on, the real money auction house is a bad idea and the normal auction house has the same pitfalls it did in Diablo 2 but its worth the time and money for a short lived cinematic experience to the extent of buying avatar on DVD however very few will remain interested in this dust gatherer. Expand
  80. Sep 23, 2012
    I enjoy(not love it) the game before Inferno, but after that you can see why people is against RMAH, there is no way that you can do it if you don't buy items because. And always online is a real pain if you lose connection just for 1 second(for example if you have a Router and it assigned a new IP) you are out. And it has a real story problems! In my opinion it doesn't worth $60
  81. Oct 12, 2012
    Draconian DRM and since I'm on 3G connection mostly unplayable. The pay to win auction house, the intense lag since I live in Africa... its like something EA would make. Very disappointed, especially for this price tag
  82. Nov 7, 2012
    Really? They actually named this pile of **** Diablo 3 ? wtf is this? Where is all the enjoyment Diablo 2 and Lod had? Where are the real unique (golden) items as seen in Diablo2/LoD ? Oh i get it it's some graphics built around an Auction House system, gj job Blizzard finally one company understood the whole thing behind enjoying games..... NOT! In all honesty, this was the last Title iReally? They actually named this pile of **** Diablo 3 ? wtf is this? Where is all the enjoyment Diablo 2 and Lod had? Where are the real unique (golden) items as seen in Diablo2/LoD ? Oh i get it it's some graphics built around an Auction House system, gj job Blizzard finally one company understood the whole thing behind enjoying games..... NOT! In all honesty, this was the last Title i touched from Blizzard, and i was a freaking Fanboy, loving all their stuff regardless what others would say, but this game is such a letdown and such a disgrace to the Diablo series and Blizzard, it's just unforgivable.

Better head out and play the Grand Torchlight II, which actually has the original Diablo2 team behind it afaik, atleast it feels like it does.
  83. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is terrible and nothing like the previous games. If you like auction house simulators, then this game is for you. I had absolutely no fun playing this game at all.
  84. Dec 5, 2012
    It is a shame to dislike something which was created with so much effort, but what can i do? D3 tries so hard to be epic, fun, addictive and serve an audience of new and old fans. But it just fails on everything it attempts - just like a drunken person! It is simply not fun to click through enemies and check the loot later. Simply put: the urge to hack and slash a little bit more is notIt is a shame to dislike something which was created with so much effort, but what can i do? D3 tries so hard to be epic, fun, addictive and serve an audience of new and old fans. But it just fails on everything it attempts - just like a drunken person! It is simply not fun to click through enemies and check the loot later. Simply put: the urge to hack and slash a little bit more is not there. Even the gore is inadequate and unsatisfying. Oh, about the storyline! Awful! Just horrible. Worst script ever. It is actually so bad that it does not even count as funny. It is a shame they wasted so much effort on cinematics with story this bad. If the player has to ask herself "why I am doing this?", something is seriously wrong. Perhaps it is a matter or taste, but I had so much more fun with Dragon Age 2. Expand
  85. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm really shocked that this is a release from Blizzard Entertainment. It feels more like some sort of free to play cash shop game, where they design it to be mind-numbingly boring and hope that you'll buy things from the cash shop to improve your experience.

Unlike the vast array of other ARPG's I've played, this game just absolutely refuses to let you find your own gear upgrades. The intent was obviously to try to herd players to the auction houses to buy items, but considering ARPG's are largely about finding items, this design really ruins the experience. In fact, there's nothing else really to this game other than an incredibly boring, frustrating and defective item system. There (was) no pvp, the social system is basically non-existent--so I guess we are supposed to buy items from the cash shop so we can just log in and stare at our awesome character.

Blizzard removed a lot of things from the previous Diablo games, saying that these elements essentially constituted bad game design, but then they replaced these elements with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So there's now no reason to kill bosses in Diablo 3, (farming bosses was bad design, apparently), there are no skill trees, (skill trees are bad design, apparently), there (was) no pvp, (no pvp is apparently better design than imperfect pvp), not to mention various other elements that were removed from the series.

There's not much of a game here after the first play through, I'd spend my money on another title.
  86. Mar 18, 2013
    on 12 yeras them make same game :S how can people accept that? I dont buy "next" diablo beacuse them sell bad games for full price better buy torchlight 2
  87. Apr 4, 2013
    I waited for over seven years for this after playing Diablo 2, I had so high expectations for this but it didn't live up to it. The level up system and the atmosphere wasn't the same and it lacks replayability and the worst was the launch and the "must have internet connection" problem. But it still manages to be a good game.
  88. Jun 30, 2013
    It would be a masterpiece if it was from a small company with 10 workers or something.
    But it's not, it's from Blizzard, it's predecessor is nothing else than Diablo II.
    Unforgivable.
  89. Jul 30, 2013
    Good old Diablo receive another offspring with online-play and real money auction house. Great.
    Time to bury the stinking corpse of long-dead demon in the lava pit.
    There is too many better H&S arcade games focused on drop. And even some MMO.

But it's not a zero. They are do some work. Really.
  90. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3 is hard to review. The area where this game really shines is its combat. The combat is so fluid and satisfying, it really saves the game.

As for the other elements: I didn't like the story or the mood of the game. It certainly isn't as dark as Diablo 2, sometimes it even feels childish, especially how the evil protagonists are presented to you.
    What really annoyed me is the amount of dialogue. Out of nowhere they talk to you, tease you and try to intimidate, but I never felt some kind of horror or fear. The game fails hard in this regard.
    The story is foreseeable, never exciting and all in all it doesn't really fit the Diablo setting. There are also some rather strange deciscion, especially when it comes to Deckard Cain. What happened to him doesn't add anything to the story or game world, but the franchise has lost its most iconic character. What's the point in this? I mean, maybe they have a long term plan when it comes to the story and someday it will make sense, but somehow I doubt this.

The new skill and character system is so easy and dumbed down, it doesn't promote "real" builds or great thought processes. But I won't blame it everything, a big player in this mess is also the item system, which just isn't complexe enough to encourage players to come up with new builds.

There are other things which people do not like, for example the real money auction house or the auction house in general. I am not a huge fan of it either, but nowhere is it the biggest problem of the game.

This price goes to the following: Blizzard is known for supporting its games with regular content. Diablo 3 is different in this way. There hasn't been any "real" content besides the uber bosses since its release, and even that is blatantly stolen from Diablo 2. I mean, they tried to change the game in so many ways, and now they come up with...this? It's not that the system about the uber bosses is bad or anything, it is just disappointing that the new team doesn't have its own ideas where it would be really appropriate, but changes things that worked really well, like the whole character and skill system.
    So, for me this is the biggest problem I have with this game: The lack of new content. And Diablo 3 is desperatley in need of some new mechanics that make this game more diverse. Be it an endless dungeon system like in Torchlight, or the map system like in Path of Exile, the Diablo 3 fails to implement exciting new ways on how to play. Sure, Diablo 2 doesn't have that either, but it has a ladder system and offers a ton of different builds. Diablo 3 doesn't have that and so it needs regular, new content to keep the masses interested. So therefore I never understood why they do not come up with DLCs or something similar, because judging from the lack of content it is obvious that the real money auction house fails to monetise on the game.

Conclusion: I still have hope for Diablo 3, but it will be a long road for Blizzard 'till this game is anywhere near Diablo 2 in terms of fun and replayability. Until then it will be a mindless grind for gear with better stats.
  91. Sep 30, 2013
    Blizzard must have paid off the critics on here. This, as a Diablo series game, is a joke. It is disgustingly bright colored instead of dark and gothic. It's story is TERRIBLE, and clearly written for young children. It's abilities are not too bad, but lack the depth and strategy Diablo 2 allowed for.

The skill loadout would have been a good idea for some brand new game, but most Diablo fans wanted the in depth character skill customization Diablo 2 offered. The mods to each ability just feel lazy on the developer's part as well. Item stats are randomized on even high end items, and unlike Diablo 2 they are mostly pure stats. This just makes gearing very boring. And finally they seem to have intentionally designed it to make it as easy as possible for players to leech xp without doing any of the work. If they aren't in the same zone they still get some xp, can't be kicked, and will get summoned to bosses automatically when you start the fight.

This game is fun for a little while, but ultimately disappointing.
  92. Jun 24, 2016
    Its like they looked at everything I liked from diablo 2 and removed it to make this game. The graphics are nice but it's a repetitive grind game....
  93. May 15, 2012
    Blizz removed the skill and stat points. Yeah. But, I think it doesn't change anything other than mindlessly placing skill points to an overpowered skill and stat points to the obvious like Strength for Barbarian and Magic for Sorceress. The always online DRM even for single player sessions makes the game look bad though. :(

But server problems aside, the game is definitely a gem of a

But server problems aside, the game is definitely a gem of a lifetime. Torchlight II might come but it's just #2 to Diablo 3. :)
  94. May 15, 2012
    It's pretty much World of Warcraft with a higher camera angle. Did the new Blizzard devs even play the older Diablo games? The game lacks soul, the art is good but it's not gloomy - everything to too vibrant. You can tell Blizzard 2.0 could care less about voice acting, they hired people for cheap and you can hear it.
  95. May 15, 2012
    Picked it up to play singleplayer. Can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that ActiBlizz put in so they can earn money from virtual items. Bravo after years of "polishing" I can't even play because of your greediness.
  96. May 15, 2012
    A hugely disappointing sequel, Blizzard is now on my list of boycotted developers that are ruining the industry.
    -Lag in single player game due to annoying DRM that will arbitrarily take away the product I paid for if my connection fails
    -Pay2Win cash shop
    -COMPLETE LACK OF REAL CHARACTER CUSTOMISATION
    -Atmosphere totally lacking, generic and grindy
  97. May 15, 2012
    Lol Don't speak out on the General Forums about Diablo 3. they will BAN you without a moments notice. I got banned and have no idea why I was even banned. With that said.. game is failure. The fact of the matter is if the servers go down. you no longer have access to your single player game. ALSO the game can be BEAT, DONE, FINISHED in LESS than 5 HOURS! i mean Holy crap. 5 hours REALLY?!Lol Don't speak out on the General Forums about Diablo 3. they will BAN you without a moments notice. I got banned and have no idea why I was even banned. With that said.. game is failure. The fact of the matter is if the servers go down. you no longer have access to your single player game. ALSO the game can be BEAT, DONE, FINISHED in LESS than 5 HOURS! i mean Holy crap. 5 hours REALLY?! First Person shooters have longer single player modes than that. and about the same amount of replay-ability in multiplayer. but Diablo 3 which took YEARS to develop they deliver a 4 to 5 hour game. Pffft Save me. I wish i could get my money back. but this review will have to do. Expand
  98. May 15, 2012
    This is the game I have been waiting for since 2001. The UI and control scheme are vastly improved, the pacing is excellent. I love the removal of manual stat adjustment and/or allocation as this was mostly useless before, and the new ability system is excellent. I also like the removal of the potion belt. The online DRM system is assy, but it is what it is. I miss the Gem/Rune systemThis is the game I have been waiting for since 2001. The UI and control scheme are vastly improved, the pacing is excellent. I love the removal of manual stat adjustment and/or allocation as this was mostly useless before, and the new ability system is excellent. I also like the removal of the potion belt. The online DRM system is assy, but it is what it is. I miss the Gem/Rune system from 2. The graphics engine is dated and inefficient, I wish they had put little more time into exploiting the high end hardware and maybe even DX11 support. I you Like DIablo 2 and Torchlight, you will love this. Expand
  99. May 15, 2012
    With the purchase of the game completed, one would expect to be able to play it. Not if Blizzard has their say. Don't waste your money on a game that won't let you play it.
  100. Nov 27, 2014
    The bosses are alright, the itemization is awful, the story is pitiful, the combat is click-click-clicky, and there is no necromancer.

Played for a good while with friends, but it just doesn't have the staying power of Diablo 2. The thing that I probably hate the most is the rage timers. I fondly remember being decimated by some insane, immune to everything, group of hellbeasts on my way to Diablo in hell difficulty and spending the next hour and a half with friends trying to teleport in and out of the Act in a desperate attempt to recover bodies, find gold to repair equipment, and resurrect mercenaries. Yes, it took forever, and it seemed completely broken, but the ability to strive on and not have your way you play dictated to you by the game with silly things like arbitrary timers was one of the fun things about Diablo 2.

1. Aug 31, 2012