4.0

1. Oct 27, 2013
    Note that most of the extremely low scores were day 1 nerd rage. The truth is that the game is very good for what it is namely, a roguelike action RPG. Diablo III is the best game ever made in its genre. Does this make it a great game? No. Why? Because it is repetitive as heck. But it is polished to a mirror shine it is the best in the genre. It is just that the genre sucks.

You will

You will hear people whining about the always online thing. This is pretty much a non-issue. On launch day, things were rough, but since then, I've had a problem exactly once, which was hardly tragic I lost maybe three minutes of time. The converse of this the fact that you can play ANY of your characters with your friends more than makes up for the annoyance, and its really probably the only reasonable way to keep their marketplace intact.

What about the marketplace itself? You can ignore it if you don't like it, and if you do like it, it is there for your use, and it is easy, convenient, and sure.

What about the game itself? It is Diablo II, but better. It takes everything good about Diablo II, and tosses out everything bad about it the skill trees are gone, you can respec at any time, stat assignments are gone... basically all the stupid busywork which could make your character terrible are gone, and all the things that are fun are present and better. Every character is constantly using their skills, 100% of the time, and this makes for much more diversity in play, and you have many different sorts of attacks on all characters. Some people will nerd rage about losing choices, but let's face it you lost no choices at all. The skill trees existed soley as traps, as there were realistically only a few ways to play any character class, and if you wanted to try out a new skill, you lost that skill point forever, which sucked horribly and encouraged you to never diversify. The stat assignment worked out terribly as only one statistic actually mattered. Diablo III fixes these problems by letting you pick whatever skill from your class you want as long as you are high enough level to use it, and by getting rid of the stats (or rather, your ability to assign them), rather auto-assigning them in an optimal fashion, making the game actually work properly.

The only real bad thing about the game is the same problem that many action RPGs have the gameplay itself is rather tiresome. The really fun enemies only show up later on in the game, making act 1 feel like the act 1 of every other game you've ever played, and quite frankly, even the "really fun" enemies aren't that fun... which is pretty much par for the course for the genre.

There are better, funner games out there, but Diablo III does what it does well. Unfortunately, I just don't think this genre has any life in it anymore we've all played a ton of looters by this point. Do you really need to play one more?

If so, Diablo III might be for you. If not... well, I would recommend against it.
  2. May 21, 2012
    I see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonderI see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonder what they are going to do in the Wow xpac. They just aren't the same company they used to be. Expand
  3. May 21, 2012
    After playing this for a while you could be forgiven for forgetting your playing Diablo 3 (not just for its lack of graphical enhancement) and think your playing the original, in fact I'm more a fan of it than this one. The dark creepy atmosphere is gone which is the major reason I loved the original Diablo. But then once you get THRASHED by lag in single player, yes even in single playerAfter playing this for a while you could be forgiven for forgetting your playing Diablo 3 (not just for its lack of graphical enhancement) and think your playing the original, in fact I'm more a fan of it than this one. The dark creepy atmosphere is gone which is the major reason I loved the original Diablo. But then once you get THRASHED by lag in single player, yes even in single player you get reminded that those without internet connections cannot play the game because of this utterly stupid DRM that in place. I give diablo 3 a 6/10 for the simple fact It did deliver on taking on the classic parts of the originals and screwing them up mixing the original click like hell style of diablo 1 with some semi-thought out skill selection of diablo 2. however with all the diablo 3 I have played its been an utterly disappointing game, shops don't have anything worth buying, you spend thousands on crafting items at the blacksmith that you rarely find elsewhere and for the most part the fighting consists of GRRRRRRRRRRRR LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!!! Expand
  4. May 22, 2012
    The Game is fun, I guess. I was never that found of Diablo and Diablo 2, TBH, and D3 strikes me as being the same. The story is linier, the action is a frantic clickfest, requiring almost no strategy, the visuals are not tripple-a, and the characters are only of marginal interest.
    The Game's largest fault is the Alwas Online (as many have said) that leands itself more to a MMRPG than a good old fasion dungeon crawler. I cant save before a particularly big bos (or at all) and deaths are respawned back at you last checkpoint. It's exactly how an MMO works, and I dont like it. It frustrates me that I can play the game how I like, (or even when I like, because of server issues).

That said, D3 is an experiance, most gamers should have. So pick up a copy.... in a few months time.... on the cheap. And Blizzard... Cummon, Finish Starcraft aleady!!!
  5. X19
    May 22, 2012
    I won't lie. This game has issues that shouldn't exist. It is overpriced for what you're getting, especially when comparing it to other titles in the genre. The graphics don't fit the game's theme. Voice acting is sub-par for the most part. The story holds little interest. The leveling makes Skyrim's leveling look complex, meaning it's really really linear. It takes up +10 GB on your HDDI won't lie. This game has issues that shouldn't exist. It is overpriced for what you're getting, especially when comparing it to other titles in the genre. The graphics don't fit the game's theme. Voice acting is sub-par for the most part. The story holds little interest. The leveling makes Skyrim's leveling look complex, meaning it's really really linear. It takes up +10 GB on your HDD or SSD. It REQUIRES constant internet connection to play. Not to mention the fact that it's prone to crash due to so many random errors. So why buy it? There's no reason to buy it. You're not missing any anything. I don't recommend this for anyone. But why did I give it a 6? Because it's still fun. Mindless fun, but fun all the same. The loot is still there and it's still addicting. I enjoyed my time with this game despite it's flaws and Blizzard's paranoia for using extreme measures to stop pirating. Would I buy it again? No. Do I wish I could get my money back? Absolutely. Expand
  6. May 22, 2012
    $65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the$65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the visuals are tremendous and watching stuff explode etc" I have a 32" monitor I play and I can barely see these things. Alot of hype from critic reviews, and alot of ppl who are like omg 12 years to play this game? Ive never been this let down since Duke Nukem. Anyways my two cents. And dont bother waiting for this to hit the bargain bin, if it ever does, the servers will be offline at that point and you wont be able to play it anyways. Expand
  7. May 22, 2012
    As many of these reviews were made on release date which was, to be modest, a terrible launch day, I feel it is only fair to give the game an honest review that isn't smothered in contempt and raging anxiety. Diablo 3 is a DECENT game, it's not good, and itâ
  8. May 22, 2012
    Homogenized. Uncreative. Uninspired. This is Diablo 3. The terribly unoriginal and boring story and dialog are the first things you notice, though the voice acting is at least good and helps make much of it passable. Also, you always have to play online. This sets the scene for several different scenarios where you might not actually be able to even play the game, even if just toHomogenized. Uncreative. Uninspired. This is Diablo 3. The terribly unoriginal and boring story and dialog are the first things you notice, though the voice acting is at least good and helps make much of it passable. Also, you always have to play online. This sets the scene for several different scenarios where you might not actually be able to even play the game, even if just to tinker around with character generation or play through the whole game once-through in some remote place.

The skills and statistics on the items have been homogenized and dumbed down, big time, ostensibly to make the game more appealing to the masses. And the skills aren't very exiting either. You get all exited to get a new ability, only to find out it doesn't work well at all with the other abilities you have, or is barely different from the ability you were already using, and thus superfluous. To be fair Diablo 2 had a few skills like this as well, but at least you had a feeling of control as you stepped past them to fill the other more useful abilities with more points, or experimented with different 'builds'. You'll find not much for builds in this game --- the metagame surrounding Diablo 3 is pretty much non-existent.

The dungeons are also far too long, and you can go for a good 20-30 seconds down a hallway without encountering a single monster. Or sometimes you encounter like... 4 monsters, kill them in 1 second if you're a melee class, or 10 seconds if you're a sorcerer or demon hunter, and move on. No, you don't want to be a ranged class right now in this game...

On the plus side, yeah, it can be fun to blow up lots of baddies. It's just too bad there's not much statistical depth or story behind you doing it. It could have been alot better.
  9. May 22, 2012
    I think that Blizzard tried to do too many things with this game. The fact that it had to be reworked probably led to the dated graphics.

Good Points the game is fun, you feel exhilarated when your character can use abilities to cut a swathe through the enemy. Locking the stats can seriously reduce the rampant cheating that occurred in Diablo2, as well as the persistent online world, even though a little annoying especially if you don't have good internet. The use of percentages throughout ensures that all skills remain useable and relevant fixing a Diablo 2 problem where one had to totally retool your skills when you went from normal to nightmare or nightmare to hell.

Bad Points the graphics are a bit dated, the locking of attributes, skills is a double edged sword. I could argue for the locking of the stats as that can reduce the cheating that was rampant in Diablo2. They could have linked skill damage to stats as opposed to weapon damage which just opens another loophole. This loophole mind you may have been devised to make them money through the auction houses, however potentially can ruin the game from abuse. The locking of item stat association has unfortunately led to the ludicrous fact that a mage could theoretically wield a sword with the same aplomb as a barbarian. Other issues In Titan Quest you had to press a key to loot which meant no interference when fighting, however in Diablo3 a game many years its senior you are accidentally picking up objects instead of attacking enemies. There should be a way to transfer objects from one of your characters to another one, up to me writing this not sure if there is outside of the auction house.

The lack of skill customization unfortunately removes almost all re-playability in the game, because while the runes give you good variability, all you have to do is to equip the others to see how they work.

This kills one of the better aspects of Diablo2 where you could have 3 or more different types of Amazon or Paladin etc. They have simplified the game too much, in an effort to distill a fun game they have lost the essence of what makes a good RPG and followed in the footsteps of their competition EA. This has resulted in a game that a lot of persons will pay for and play however has lost its RPGness.
    I would implore these publishers to go back to the drawing board or forever lose one of the most enduring, most followed genre in computer games. While generally less is more in this case less just made you feel cheated..... out of an RPG......again.
  10. May 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a polished but ultimately empty experience, I think the main question here is what the hell (pardon the pun) Blizzard spent the last 5 years doing, because it certainly wasn't producing any form of innovation. Much like Starcraft 2 D3 is simply a lazy rehash of it's predecessor. Add to that the always on DRM via Battlenet and all in all D3 is a decidedly mediocre experience.Diablo 3 is a polished but ultimately empty experience, I think the main question here is what the hell (pardon the pun) Blizzard spent the last 5 years doing, because it certainly wasn't producing any form of innovation. Much like Starcraft 2 D3 is simply a lazy rehash of it's predecessor. Add to that the always on DRM via Battlenet and all in all D3 is a decidedly mediocre experience.

...oh, and it has one of the worst plot 'twists' I've seen in a long while.
  11. May 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game play is average, would be a 10/10 if released in 2008, Classes are mediocre and nothing new. Graphics is all over the show, some terrain is amazing while places such as heaven)looks utter trash dropped straight in from WoW. The character models are hideous and why the hell did they make Diablo look like Alien?

The voice acting at times is the worst part of the game and the music isn't dark and gripping enough, I never felt like i was in a scary dungeon. Worst part of the game is the weak story, its a true let down. butterfly witches? u kidding me?

I've only crashed once since release, but the constant down time and action house bugs are annoying. Only being allowed 10 items on the auction house really sucks too. Game play 7.5/10
    Graphics 6/10
    Sound 6/10
    Story 4/10
    Functionality 7/10
    Total 6.1/10
  12. May 24, 2012
    51 Wizard on Hell mode right now. Story is way too short, really nothing else to do but kill monsters. Auction house ruins any reason for grinding since you can just buy the best stuff. What are people's arguments against this? "Well, that's always been Diablo." Come on, that's your excuse for looking past these gigantic flaws in this game. That its supposed to be something it was 1251 Wizard on Hell mode right now. Story is way too short, really nothing else to do but kill monsters. Auction house ruins any reason for grinding since you can just buy the best stuff. What are people's arguments against this? "Well, that's always been Diablo." Come on, that's your excuse for looking past these gigantic flaws in this game. That its supposed to be something it was 12 years ago? People are so blinded by the lure of this ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, and INSANE LOOT. When all it is, is just a increase in numbers. Is there a difference between hitting for 5 against a monster that has 25 life, between hitting for 50000 against a monster that has 250000 life. There isn't, and that's what Diablo does when it increases its difficulty. Expand
  13. May 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a Blizzard fan since they were making console games. It was a long time ago. I have seen over the time amazing game after amazing game come out from them. Until now. Don't get me wrong. Diablo 3 from a game play stand point is amazing. But thats were the good things end. Everything else is surprisingly average. The sound, the music, the voice acting, the graphics. All fail to impress in any way. There are glimmers of great in the sea of mediocrity but that doesn't make up for all the mess.

Speaking of a mess. The story is a disaster. It is so bad there is just no place to start. So i will just make a list of things it fails at: It fails:

- at creating atmosphere
    - at creating scary villains
    - at making any kind of sense for the game
    - at making the player feel anything

So it pretty much fails across the board. All the things a story should do in a game context the Diablo 3 story doesn't do.

So what do we have in the end. A game with great game play, mediocre sound, music, voice acting and graphics and a story so bad it laughable. Buy it according to what matters to you in a game.
  14. May 25, 2012
    Diablo III is both an entertaining game AND a huge let down. Yes, combat in the "heat of the moment" is enjoyable and frantic and managing to kill entire mobs of monsters causing them to explode in a red mist of gore is to be relished and yet ... See, compared to Diablo II, you get a lot of smallish improvements:
    - loot is properly shared now
    - you can craft (although auction house ruins
    - loot is properly shared now
    - you can craft (although auction house ruins it, see later)
    - you have checkpoints and more waypoints
    - you now have actions with cool down periods like in MMOs which add some depth to the combat
    - you can wreck scenery
    - the story is a little more fleshed out (although you'll just get bored of it after a little while - it's pretty dull and slow)

But then you have the massive problems which Diablo II didn't have:
    - maps are far less random and pretty much feel the same on every playthrough meaning they're less fun to replay
    - you no longer are able to equip two weapon sets for quick switching depending on monster immunities
    - the game needs you to be always online no matter what - and kicks you quite quickly if you go afk for a little while
    - levelling up is really dull now with zero choices to be made. The game has really become gear-dependant which is why I dislike WoW so much - instead of making a clever build that works well with your friends, everyone is the same minus gear and the choice of what attacks to use.

The absolutely BIGGEST flaw is the auction house, however. It completely ruins the point of the game because it's sooo much easier to just pick up gold and buy new gear than to play the game to get it. After 20 hours of playing, I collected a good 100.000 in gold yet barely had any decent armour. With a mere 10.000 gold, I got a really kick ass outfit including weapons which saw me wading through monsters as if they were butter. Honestly, the auction house shouldn't have this big an effect on the game yet it does. It also completely makes crafting pointless. Why spend 1500 gold on a weapon that may turn out to be crap if you can get a really good yellow item for a third of the price?

You have quite a few smaller problems too:
    - the music and atmosphere in general are far less effective - a sentiment which most Diablo II players share
    - the graphics are pretty dated and are too WoW-influenced nor do they convey the more gothic feel Diablo II used to have
    - there's less items to pick up and the fun of the horadrics cube is gone
    - etc. etc.

Honestly, this is a very very mediocre copy of Diablo II minus the great atmosphere minus the balance, minus the character choices, with an auction house that ruins the entire game's premise and basically ... it's a poor attempt at a sequel made by people who clearly don't have the slightest idea what made Diablo II so good. Considering most are ex-WoW staff members, why am I not surprised?
  15. May 25, 2012
    I loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty wayI loved Diablo 2, that game was a perfect mixture of loot vs challenge. Diablo 3 has some cool new innovations, but this game is so unbalanced, and short (10-12hrs) its ridiculous. On first playthrough it was ok, story is weak, the cutscene videos are good, difficulty seemed a bit low, and gear drops progressed nicely. Now I'm playing through nightmare, and it ramps the difficulty way up which is cool, but the gear drops are so crappy it's funny. I mean the bosses drop crappy blue gear, NO yellows, on harder difficulty??? And how bad does it suck when you die like ten times to kill a special enemy only to have them drop a yellow that has some crazy ass mixture of stats like strength and intelligence, you have to just laugh or the frustration will kill you. Overall, a disappointment for such a long wait, hopefully they patch it and fix the drop rates, and stat combos. Expand
  16. May 25, 2012
    D3 feels like a safe cash-in on a legendary IP. Despite enjoying my time playing, (pwning demons and collecting loot is as addictive as ever) the choice to streamline character development is disappointing. Gameplay is tight (though the ability to zoom in a la Titan Quest would be nice) while the graphics are typical of a Blizzard game; stylistically sound but certainly not pushing anyD3 feels like a safe cash-in on a legendary IP. Despite enjoying my time playing, (pwning demons and collecting loot is as addictive as ever) the choice to streamline character development is disappointing. Gameplay is tight (though the ability to zoom in a la Titan Quest would be nice) while the graphics are typical of a Blizzard game; stylistically sound but certainly not pushing any boundaries, so as to work on as many systems as possible.

The game probably deserves a 7.5 or an 8, but the always-online requirement warrants a slightly lower score, especially when lag affects the single player experience (which is common in Australia with its draconian telecommunications infrastructure).

Still, if you enjoy RPGs and particularly ARPGs, you'll find months and months of gameplay here. When I'm not playing it, I'm wishing I was.
  17. May 26, 2012
    I give this game a lenient 6 because it is a good game.....but man it could have been SO much better. Being a fan of D1 and D2, I was expecting gold. Big disappointment....but still a fun and addictive experience. Bottom line is that this game shouldn't have been placed in the Diablo series. God knows why Blizzard made these stupid choices and dumbed the game down so freakin much. ItsI give this game a lenient 6 because it is a good game.....but man it could have been SO much better. Being a fan of D1 and D2, I was expecting gold. Big disappointment....but still a fun and addictive experience. Bottom line is that this game shouldn't have been placed in the Diablo series. God knows why Blizzard made these stupid choices and dumbed the game down so freakin much. Its almost like you took a delicious and perfect recipe like Coca Cola, took all the good **** out, added some of your own urine, then added Pepsi.....and then tried to sell it to us as Coke again. Idiots. Expand
  18. May 28, 2012
    So I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game againstSo I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game against these, it seems to be the way most things are heading these days. It seems very much that the game engine isn't a million miles away from WOW, and uses a lot of the same graphics which in itself isn't such a bad thing as Blizzard always carry these things of with style, regardless of the cutesy graphics. However, the cutesy graphics do mean the atmosphere is not as oppresive as it was in the original games - it definitely loses something. Just to quickly cover the basics - Diablo is a game in which you run around dungeons and kill lots of critters. The main story is of a battle between heaven and hell and you basically level up until the story takes you to the Lord Diablo himself, who has rather rudely gate crashed the eternal realm. There are lots of weapons and armour drops all the way through and really the main crux of the game is in finding bigger and better armour and weapons. Once you start playing online with other players, the level of drops soon ramps up, as well as the difficulty level of the monsters.
    Now as this is Diablo 3 you cannot review the game without comparing it to it's predecessors, the same as if you were reviewing a film, and for me this is where the game falls down. The rather high scoring critic reviews suprise me because the fact of the matter is that this game seems to have gone nowhere. It used to be a simple hack and slash click-click-click game, with a variety of spells or actions, and plenty of loot items to pick up - including scrolls, which are one off spells to casts. It is still a simple hack and slash click-click-click game except LESS variety in spells/actions and no scrolls anymore. It feels very much like the game has been dumbed down for the masses. And the thing is, it's been 10 years. TEN. That's an awful long time to spend failing to progress. And on the side Blizzard already have WOW, so they have an absolute wealth of suitable graphics to use and a wealth of experience in fantasy games. They seem to have played the hand towards nostalgia rather than innovative gaming.
    So I would have to admit to being somewhat gutted about this game. It isn't awful, it just isn't new. And from an absolute powerhouse like Blizzard, I expect much more in terms of innovation and creativity, and I certainly don't expect them to move backwards in terms of complexity being as the first two games were not complex. And sadly it does seem to me that Blizzard are becoming more of a money making organisation than a serious developer of top quality games, especially after announcing their real money auction house. It is that great travesty of business and advertising - it ruins everything it comes into contact with. And Blizzard are slowly turning into a business enterprise, not a game developer. Many of the user reviews are scathing hit backs at the painful DRM system (meaning you cannot play single player without being online), which is perfectly understandable as it makes no sense to be online when you want to play by yourself. But I am much more upset about the lack of progress since Diablo II. Whoever came up with Diablo in the first instance was an absolute genius, and it was an amazing game. Whoever got hold of the license and created Diablo 3 should have doubled that genius with more involving and complex gameplay - they already had a great engine to work with! Instead, they seem to have lazily rehashed the game. It is addictive, that can't be denied, but if it was a piece of homework it would definitely have 'see me' written on it in red writing.
  19. May 28, 2012
    As somone who is coming back to this franchise after being griefed in D1, I think the game is OK. Why? The largest negative is the DRM. THis game is NOT an MMO and should not be treated as one. I'm awarre of why the game needs the inernet, but I do not agree with it.

The game is very "loot-centric". If you do not go in expecting an award winning plot then you should be fine with the story. The graphics are just OK with some of the backgrounds looking very good. (This is fine as Blizz has to appeal to mid to lower end systems). Replayability seems fair as you may try out each class, but the levelling up process (and most of the game) are fairly linear.

Its a good game that you will get several hours of enjoyment from, but it's not the be all and end all of action RPGs. Let the game appeal to your inner warmonger and play this to hack, slash, pillage and hopefully have some mindless fun!
  20. May 28, 2012
    It's amazing the disparity between metacritic "Critic reviews" and user reviews. There must be something magical that "Critics" are experiencing whom "users" are not, quite the opposite of any other review community; take for example the movie review community. This game really deserves a 6. A 6 because: -Although it is quite good, it is absolutely plagued by development issues.
    -It is
    -It is another game where basically gamers around the world get to pay (full price) to finish beta testing it.
    -Certain important features of the game are totally unaccessable.
    -As we all know, its release was horrendous.
    -Normal mode is excruciately easy, by the time you get to nightmare where things "get challenging" (which they don't), you have already seen the story line. -The Acts take place with 98% similarity in setting to the acts of Diablo II. After 10+ years of development.... really?

Due to all these issues, I have generally spent more time being dissapointed in the game rather than enjoying it. TO META CRITIC: Whats the point of having "Critic" reviews who all simply prostitute out their reviews and scores? Critic and user reviews should fall in like +/- 1 or two points. All the glaring issues in this game and they still undress themselves with big ol' 100 point reviews for blizzard. It's obviously shameful.
  21. May 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are adequate, the cutscenes while striking are extremely poorly encoded, looking pixellated and blocky (heaven knows why Blizz didn't use a better video codec than Theora).

The story is woefully short, linear, and predictable - apart from the one twist in the story when Adria does her business, the story doesn't just go exactly how you might guess it would, it goes exactly how the characters say it will.

Only play this game if you like relatively easy grinding for gear.
  22. May 29, 2012
    I wouldn't call this anything more than an average game. Story is silly and almost non-existant, graphics are actually terrible for a game released in 2012 (Not much better than WoW's graphics) and the gameplay hasn't changed the slightest since Diablo 2 (Which could be a good thing, depending on who you ask). While it is entertaining for maybe 30 minutes at a time, it just plain doesn'tI wouldn't call this anything more than an average game. Story is silly and almost non-existant, graphics are actually terrible for a game released in 2012 (Not much better than WoW's graphics) and the gameplay hasn't changed the slightest since Diablo 2 (Which could be a good thing, depending on who you ask). While it is entertaining for maybe 30 minutes at a time, it just plain doesn't cut it. This game feels nothing like a game should for this decade. Expand
  23. May 30, 2012
    First of: I can´t give Diablo 3 a 0 because the game itself for me is a 10/10.

First of: I can´t give Diablo 3 a 0 because the game itself for me is a 10/10.

Now to that DRM-Crap: What makes you people (game publishers) think, that DRM is the right way? Do u really think that an internet connection is something that everybody can afford or get easily? I ordered 2 copies of this game to make my cousin in Bosnia a present so he can play Diablo 3 at home and be happy. But wait, he has no internet connection... REALLY??? how can he dare to have no internet connection in a country where most of the people have a average income of like 600 dollars or below? You have to understand that DRM is not only bad for people who just like to complain about everything, it IS bad for all gamers and i don´t know what kind of an idiot marketing manager really believes that this is a good marketing strategy. you are so afraid of piracy that you think that you will starve to death without noticing, that you would sell even more without drm... i even know people in germany who can´t afford an internet connection so even if i buy someone a whole new pc in combination with diablo 3 he won´t be able to play it at home. nice work and have fun generating money, i see that gaming is more and more becoming a privilege for extraordinary moneywasters who can be online 24/7... like me
  24. May 30, 2012
    Its a solid game but its unfortunately always going to be compared to its superior predecessor. Pros
    * The graphics are an upgrade from D2 but lets be honest, they'd have to be since D2 is more than 12 years old at this point. The graphics are nice but not mind blowing. I do however like the destructible environment. * Like other Diablo games the game is addictive. At least until you reach Hell or Inferno (depending on your ability) where the game kind of loses it's appeal. Trash mobs that are more powerful than Diablo become somewhat common as well as being one shot by most of them. It eventually becomes much easier to just buy gear upgrades which again kills and replay value. Cons
    *Despite Blizzard's mantra "when it's ready" and its 10 year development cycle this game wasn't ready when it was released. Blizzard hyped release parties but because of server problems (even when playing solo) most people couldn't even log into the game for the first few days. Some people say that this should be expected but I call it unacceptable. If a game is released then that means that it has Blizzard stamp of approval. * There's absolutely no need to require a constant internet connection to play this game in single player mode. This means that at some point in the future, even if it's 20 years from now people who purchased this game and have the CD won't be able to play it any more. * The auction house ruins a game that pretty much entirely based on gear. * The idea to not make any items BoP or BoE blows my mind. This means that every item that ever drops in the game for every player will always exist in the economy unless someone purposely vendors or salvages it. Think about that. Every item ever dropped. * The talent trees are a step backwards from that of D2. * The replay value is a lot less than that of D2.
  25. May 31, 2012
    Diablo 3 Is not at all what I had expected. I don't care about server downtime and real money auction house these things will be solved. I do care about a fun game. I liked the story part of the game but dungeons ar far to short and the quests are far to fast. Cut scenes on bosses are anoying and not being abel to teleport trough different acts is frustrateing. Pvp is not avilable wichDiablo 3 Is not at all what I had expected. I don't care about server downtime and real money auction house these things will be solved. I do care about a fun game. I liked the story part of the game but dungeons ar far to short and the quests are far to fast. Cut scenes on bosses are anoying and not being abel to teleport trough different acts is frustrateing. Pvp is not avilable wich means that all you can do is get good gear and then show it to people. We need PVP! What I miss moastly from diablo 2 though is that items were usefull in so man ways. In diablo 3 the onlything that matters is the items stats and nothing else. This means that soon evry one will figure out the best build and use that. There is no magic in selecting skills. There is no rune words or other ways of customising your wepons.

I think the game needs alot of new features to be fun in the lnog run.
  26. May 31, 2012
    I've put in about 70-80 hours into this game so far, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth at this point. But is it a good game? Diablo 3 has definitely improved when it comes to being user friendly with a polished interface. The game just can't seem to live up to Diablo 2's greatness, though. Whenever I got a new piece of loot, it just didn't give me that sameI've put in about 70-80 hours into this game so far, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth at this point. But is it a good game? Diablo 3 has definitely improved when it comes to being user friendly with a polished interface. The game just can't seem to live up to Diablo 2's greatness, though. Whenever I got a new piece of loot, it just didn't give me that same thrill. Maybe it's because of the fact that I know I can just go buy that piece of loot on the auction house if I want to. I really don't know, but it just didn't give me that same feeling. Since the game is designed around getting better loot, I have little desire to continue at this point. I've made it into Hell difficulty, and it's fun, but there's just nothing there to keep me playing. Expand
  27. May 31, 2012
    Here goes a sincere review from a veteran fan of the series (been playing since 1st version on 1997). At the time of this review I have more then 100 hours played and 3 characters lvl 60 so you can trust me when I will say the things I will say. I wish I could give a higher score for this game (I always loved Diablo series), but sadly I can't. My english is not so good, so I'll go simpleHere goes a sincere review from a veteran fan of the series (been playing since 1st version on 1997). At the time of this review I have more then 100 hours played and 3 characters lvl 60 so you can trust me when I will say the things I will say. I wish I could give a higher score for this game (I always loved Diablo series), but sadly I can't. My english is not so good, so I'll go simple on this review: Good and Bad. GOOD: - COMBAT/GAMEPLAY. The combat and gameplay is a vast improvement - GRAPHICS/ENGINE. Despite colorful (matter of taste), the graphics and engine are beautiful, and physics are fun: slaying horde for monsters is really pleasant (on 1080p max settings). That's it for the good points, now for the bad points: - BAD: STORY. Diablo's lore has so much potential, however they managed to give us a REALLY bad storyline with weak characters and everything else you can think of about BAD in terms of history. Be prepared for a ridiculous and horrible experience in this matter. - ONLINE DRM. You can't play the game without a flawless constant internet connection. This means: its impossible to play whenever you want (you only can play when they let you play), you can't play anywhere you wish, you have to deal with constant latency (even when playing single-player), servers being constantly down, and constant connection problems. Any single problem mentioned earlier makes the game completely unplayable and you're stuck on the logon screen. - SIMPLIFICATION OF GAME MECHANICS. This goes for a huge list of things. I won't post everything here. The first thing you'll notice is the simplification of item affixes. - VOICE ACTING. The voice acting sometimes leave much to desire. - WORLD OF WARCRAFT INFLUENCE. One of the bosses on the game is a colorful fairy. Need to say more? - LACK OF EXTERIOR MAP RANDOMIZATION. Indoor dungeons are OK (not great, but ok), however exterior areas are always the same with variations on what you find inside them. Basically, you will always know which way to go and where is the next exit. CLOSING COMMENTS: Compared to D2, this is a inferior game. Compared to other games on the market, it's a "Okay" game. If you're a newcomer, there's plenty of joy to have here, but if you're a long-time player, be warned: you can become seriously dissapointed. Don't go thinking this game will have the same "blast-effect" Diablo 2 made on you at his time, because chances are this may not happen. Expand
  28. May 31, 2012
    So just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diabloSo just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diablo 2 used to be crystal clear to read and compare and showed damage done as well as gave synergies to make it really interesting. On top of that attribute points are allocated automatically. That leaves player with no choices making character boring. Story is not memorable at all beside few little moments. They managed to make the game so generic that it pains me to say this. Game is boring after a while. It doesn't bring anything really innovative to the table(and I would say it even takes away). Some would say that they brought auction house and characters are more balanced for PvP but again(what PvP?) there's no PvP. Personally I finished the game on normal and I'm not so sure that there's enough to keep me going. There's only four players in a group and maps seem very small. They had 12 years to make a great polished game. It seems that Blizzard prioritizes MMos now so everything else is an addition. Instead of evolving great game and implementing more ideas into the game, blizzard managed to give diablo 3 a console feel. Yes I said that right, console. Game would be fine as a release for a console. Just to sum it up. Blizzard somehow managed to avoid almost everything that was great about diablo 2 and make something(some would say different) but I would say worse since as of now I don't see myself playing it 12 years from now as I did with diablo 2. Some newcomers might like it, but seasoned players growing up on diablo and diablo 2 surely wont be so happy and they make majority. I guess they only hope lies in Torchlight 2 which is going to cost 1/3 of what diablo 3 did and seems much better in aspect of uniqueness and implementation. Well we'll have to wait a little since release date is set to summer 2012. Thank you for reading my rambling and I hope someone from Blizzard wakes up and realizes that they wasted pretty big opportunity to make even bigger bucks.PS Blizzard if you ever need help with ideas and implementation just contact me since there's a serious lack of talent on your team. Also I apologize for my English as as of now it's not perfect and thank you for reading. Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    I have 60 hours + in and I can honestly say I'm not digging the game anymore. Once the novelty wears off, which it does fairly quickly after the first playthrough, I was left with the question of why I am even playing anymore. @ max level there is no more progression for your character outside of acquiring gear which is best obtained from the auction house. Blizz even admitted that theyI have 60 hours + in and I can honestly say I'm not digging the game anymore. Once the novelty wears off, which it does fairly quickly after the first playthrough, I was left with the question of why I am even playing anymore. @ max level there is no more progression for your character outside of acquiring gear which is best obtained from the auction house. Blizz even admitted that they balanced item drops with the AH in mind; Blizz also takes a cut from the real money AH when it goes live. There is no point in having more than one of each class because skills aren't built up and you don't place stat points, everyone has the exact same everything. Even when picking stats on gear it's pretty much a no-brainer. I've paid far less for games that I've enjoyed much more, but the first few playthroughs especially if you play hardcore can be quite entertaining. Initially I would have given this a 7 but because of the lack of offline single player (why do I have to be online and lagging all the time on my single player character?) and the persistent problems of servers being constantly down at inconvenient times for over two weeks now, I am giving it a 6. I don't think this game is worth 60 bucks at all, maybe 20. Woe to those who are expecting a new and improved Diablo 2; this isn't it. Expand
  30. NGl
    Jun 4, 2012
    Presentation 6
    Playing multiplayer is easy but only 4 players in a group? The story is really short & suck.The new skill bar is limited. Aways online play but they provided a very poor network service.
    Graphics 6.5 Diablo III looks only OK. The video is not very impressive as a morden game. Sound 7 The background music is boring makes you sleep. However voices were good. Gameplay
    Presentation 6
    Graphics 6.5
    Diablo III looks only OK. The video is not very impressive as a morden game.
    Sound 7
    The background music is boring makes you sleep. However voices were good.
    Gameplay 4.5
    No distribute point makes everyone is the same but your weapons & armors get from your real money. Game eperience is much worsen than the Diablo1&2.
    Lasting Appeal 5.0
    You may find the game is fun when you first time playing. After few days you will find the game is frustrated as you will surely struggling in inferno difficulty. The numerous difficulties and endless loot mean you can wast your whole life and your entire money in it.

5.8 OKay
  31. Jun 2, 2012
    Still pretty frequent server outages. The game is far too easy on the initial difficulty, and very boring until you unlock more abilities. At that point it becomes pretty fun, at least for awhile. The plot is hilariously bad in the first act, but it does improve later.

If you haven't played borderlands yet, I'd give that a shot first. Diablo will likely be much more fun in a year or so when they've fixed all the server issues, gameplay balance, and bugs.
  32. Jun 2, 2012
    I expected more from Diablo III. The gameplay is great and the overall quality of the game is top-notch but there are a few things about the game I find disapointing. First of all the skill tree does not allow for a great deal of customization and when leveling up we don't even get to choose which skill we want to unlock, it's already determined. Also we no longer get to spend attributeI expected more from Diablo III. The gameplay is great and the overall quality of the game is top-notch but there are a few things about the game I find disapointing. First of all the skill tree does not allow for a great deal of customization and when leveling up we don't even get to choose which skill we want to unlock, it's already determined. Also we no longer get to spend attribute points, they increase automatically as we level up. Personally if there is one mechanic I like about RPGs is deciding where I spend my points. The story is not really engaging and the campaign is quite short, I know that this game is designed to be played more than once to unlock every skills and runes but I think the campaign could have been a little longer for those of us who enjoy storytelling. I am not going to comment about connection issues as this is something that Blizzard will fix soon no doubt.
    Another thing that is a little strange to me is the damage system, the base damage of a weapon will increase your overall damage. I can understand this makes sense for the barbarian but for a wizard it seems bizarre to run around with a mace and a shield to increase spell damage and protection. In most RPGs caster are inefficient with melee weapons and shields and it makes sense like that.
    This is still a very good game... but not awesome. Blizzard could have innovated a little bit more... it's not like they didn't have time! I really wish they would start taking more risks when developing a game, they have to get out of their comfort zone. With the money they are making they have to push innovation and stop sticking to what simply works.
  33. Jun 5, 2012
    The game is definitely NOT a 0 I can assure you, nor is it a perfect 10. This review will probably help fans of DII (LoD inclusive). The game isn't the Diablo we loved: it is far less complex and takes less character planning. I find this detracts from my overall experience as I can't customise a character like I used to. I used to be able to level up my attributes and skills to tweak aThe game is definitely NOT a 0 I can assure you, nor is it a perfect 10. This review will probably help fans of DII (LoD inclusive). The game isn't the Diablo we loved: it is far less complex and takes less character planning. I find this detracts from my overall experience as I can't customise a character like I used to. I used to be able to level up my attributes and skills to tweak a character the way I wanted. That's all gone now. You won't be short of customisation options however with the 'rune' system, I was a fan of the DII style heavy character planning and investment type of customisation however.

Furthermore, if you create a hardcore character you are STILL at risk of losing your character if you disconnect because of a choppy network on your part or if the servers over at Blizzard go down/lag. This is even while playing in singleplayer (yes, you have latency while in singleplaer mode).

The auction house is a great addition and there's a good economy going atm, it's much easier to get the gear you want if you farm and sell your gear through this feature.

I don't like the over-emphasis on replaying the game to get bad ass looking loot. Basically, you get worthless and crap looking gear in Normal mode and it gets progressively better through each playthrough. This isn't because I can't get through Normal or anything, no no, normal is piss easy in fact. It's just that it feels like I'm treadmill gaming right from the very beginning of the game, where-as in DII I felt like I was treadmilling when I had to farm my Stones of Jordan.

Now we come to the story.... The story in Diablo 3 is presented terribly. Remember how the story of DII was told through both Marius' recounts and our own character trailing behind? Remember how we'd have to consult the wikis to learn subtle little lore tid-bits? Well that's gone. Now you have Blizzard trying to actively and without any subtlety whatsoever, force you to emotionally attach to 'Leah'. You will be killing monsters and suddenly she'll interject with how she wants to make an inn so she can help weary travellers. While I'm in the middle of killing and looting. Oh yeah that's another thing - You are forced to escort Leah and a few other annoying characters A LOT. In DII you were the lone saviour who occasionally received help but not nearly as much as this. The story is presented as if it were written for 5 year olds.... Seriously, remember Izuall from DII? Well he's back, and BOY does he want to remind you who he is after we just got told who he was. The 'Lord of Deceit' (Belial) is perhaps the worst deceiver I've ever seen: there's absolutely no subtlety to his 'master deception'. The twist in the plot can be seen from about 100 miles away it's that obvious. I think Chris Metzen needs to take a break from writing stories: it's the same old recycled **** over and over again, and every iteration of story he writes becomes more and more obvious. The Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft stories USED to have subtlety and were told and presented in an interesting way. Now it's just "HEY I'M A MAIN CHARACTER, I AM LIKE A PERSON BECAUSE I HAVE FEELINGS, CONNECT WITH ME, PLEASE CONNECT WITH ME, OMG PLOT TWIST I SOOOO DID NOT SEE THAT COMING DID YOU?!". Just awful writing.

Sometimes when you come home after a long day at work or uni and you just want to relax and play some Diablo with friends you won't be allowed to, because the servers will be down for maintenance or patching, or some useless reason like that... Even if you want to play singleplayer you won't be allowed to - it's quite a disturbing trend for singleplayer games actually.There's really not much else to say: the game isn't at all like the Diablo of old and that may be good or bad depending on what your preferences are. It's a lot simpler and there's no real character pre-planning required, but it still has quite a bit of variety to it. It's very fun to play with friends but gets quite stale in singleplayer. It is online only and thus latency is a big problem if you live in a country like Australia with terrible net speeds and you won't be able to log in during 'maintenance'. The story is terribly written AND terribly presented. The plot twists are obvious and terrible. The game is decent.. It is neither a perfect score (it HAS objective problems: like server maintenance and ping/latency in singleplayer hardcore), nor is it a 0 (it's impossible, it's decent, but that's all - nothing special). If you're a fan of Diablo II you may be disappointed; if you're quite young and have never played a point and click RPG this will probably be for you. It does feel like they're pandering a lot to a younger audience than ever before... And I think its success stems from the WoW market share. Ah well, it seems the old Diablo is gone.
  34. Jun 6, 2012
    I do not understand most of the praise that Diablo III is getting, nor most of the criticism. Although the auction house issues have been a problem, they weren't really game-breaking. And the login issues were mostly resolved fairly quickly. I don't think that either of these problems break the experience.

The main issue that I have with the game is that it just isn't fun to me. I can

The main issue that I have with the game is that it just isn't fun to me. I can understand that Diablo II was great back in the day, and playing this game must bring back good memories to fans. However, I never played Diablo I or II, so I feel that I might have a more unbiased opinion. And I just don't see how this game is considered up to modern standards. The just feels like a long, boring dungeon crawl with bad graphics and a slightly-above-average story.

Worst of all, the game effectively offers only one difficulty level. I was playing with 2-3 friends the whole time, who are all decent gamers, and with this group there was no challenge whatsoever in the game. We only ever died if we "stood in the fire," which is a lame game mechanic that Blizzard seems to love. Most boss fights lasted literally 30 seconds. I wasted most of my money on crafting, which I found was completely inferior to just buying gear from the auction house. And somehow I still had enough money to buy all the gear I ever wanted.

I understand that you unlock another difficulty level after you complete a playthrough, but why would I play a game again if I didn't enjoy it the first time? I was initially expecting to play the game multiple times, or at least try to find the secret level, but now none of us want to play it again. In conclusion: nothing to see here, just another over-priced, mediocre big-ticket game that's been rated way too highly by the press. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't feel up to modern standards in terms of gameplay, graphics, or length. If it were about $20-$30 cheaper, then I might recommend it.
  35. Jun 11, 2012
    A great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auctionA great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auction house is easy to use and gives players a reason to hang onto redundant, yet rare equipment; Drop-in drop-out co-op is quick and well implemented; Enemy scaling with number of players ensures no challenge is lost in co-op; Ability to re-spec abilities of active character on the fly reduces the need to start characters over again in order to get the ability combinations you desire; Ui is crisp, clear and uncluttered. BAD: Game cannot be played offline, even in single player, which is unnecessary and unfair for the consumer; Intrusive, unreliable always-online DRM causes many disconnection issues; Due to always-online functionality there are significant amounts of lag and framerate issues which diminish the overall quality of the experience; Weapon system is bizarre and poorly implemented with wizard characters casting spells out of a sword that they can't actually use; Other than clothing, characters cannot be customized, which makes the character selection seem a little out-dated; Character animations and graphics are boring and don't match the wonderful water-colour-like environments; Numerous balancing issues between classes that are going to take a while to iron out; Sound effects, voice acting and music are unremarkable; Stat points are automatically assigned upon levelling-up preventing players from creating truly unique character builds; Companion characters available when playing single player are not very useful and are quite boring additions to your adventure. OVERALL: There's nothing inherently wrong with Diablo 3 - it's a left-click marathon of a game with plenty of loot and loads of enemies to kill. But it's also one of the most stressful games I have ever experienced due to the totally unnecessary always-online DRM which is seriously detrimental to the industry and rather quite worrying. Add to this the fact that Diablo 3 brings little to nothing new to the genre that it so wonderfully popularised and you've got yourself a rather disappointing game. Is Diablo 3 fun? Yes. Is it the dungeon crawler that we've all been waiting for? Probably not. Expand
  36. Jun 11, 2012
    The gameplay is good until you get into hell difficulty and higher. At this point you are forced into the auction house to stay on the gear curve. Also there develops a huge difficulty disparity between the elite packs of enemies that can really disrupt gameplay.

If you are looking to play through the game on normal and maybe nightmare, this game is fun and engaging. After that, game play flaws become apparent in the higher difficulties as the game starts revolve around your ability to run for your life.. My review is based on the entirety of content I have experienced as a witchdoctor which includes Act 1 of inferno.
  37. Jun 12, 2012
    A decent game made worse by the fact that I can't play it when I want to.

A decent game made worse by the fact that I can't play it when I want to.

1. Regarding the online requirement: I thought that this concern was hogwash at first. However, the game is often down. I have limited windows of time to play, and more-than-rarely am I unable to play my f*cking game because the servers are down. This is structured as a single-player game with an option to co-op, so this really pisses me off. Really.
    2. The game itself is merely ok. First of all the story is weak and seems to become seriously rushed in the second act. Worse than the story is the dialogue which is terrible. I also don't care for the fact that your heroes have all sorts of irritating remarks and one-liners. I preferred the stoic types from the first two games. The gameplay is fun, but not the least bit revolutionary. Thematically the game is vastly inferior to its predecessors. Using the D3dark mod helps the atmosphere, but nothing about the game installs that sense of dread and creepiness that the first two games had.
    All that said, there's no reason to give it a 1. I don't know why it took this long to make a game that begins rushing through the plot less than halfway through and contains a very limited number of Blizzard's signature cut scenes. Meh. Swing and a foul ball, Blizz. Not nearly as good at Starcraft 2.
  38. Aug 2, 2012
    Having clocked 500+ hrs into this game I'm beginning to see the shortcomings of it.
    The game is ok up to a certain point. All the annoying stuff from D2 has been removed more or less effectively, but has resulted in the birth of new and worse problems.
    The skillsystem is great, and the removal of manual statpoint allocation doesn't ruin the game, in my opinion. The story is ok, but could have been so much better.
    The gameplay follows the well known recipe from D2. Battle is fast paced and sometimes hectic, especially in the later difficulties.
    But the game fails on two very critical points - item drops and endgame.
    Good loot is hard to come by, by farming and when you happen to get a rare or legendary drop, it's usually worthless. When you've finally given up on farming loot because it's no fun, the interest in the game drops like a rock. That's when you might go to the AH for gear upgrades......and by doing that you lower your chances for decent drops even further....which again might make you go to the AH.
    It's a death spiral of boredom when you hit that point.

As far as endgame...well once you've hit the level cap there's really not much more to do but farm gear.
    And since farming for good gear is like searching for water in a desert, it'll soon stop being fun.

Basicly, the drop system, the AH and the level cap combined secures that the game stops being fun.
    This game can only be saved by buffing the drops significantly, removing the AHs, and removing the level cap, because once you hit 60 it becomes a repetitive wandering in circles with close to ZERO reward for your time.
  39. Jun 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had evenDiablo 3 is not a bad game. At least objectively. It's true that Diablo 3 was plagued by launch issues, but launch issues are expected from almost every game; especially one with the largest launch day player-base for any PC title in the history of, well, PC titles. To Blizzard's credit, Launch day woes were resolved through an aggressive onslaught of patches before the week had even ended, and no review or score should hold launch issues against a game that sold over 3.5 million copies in it's first day. Ignoring the the launch day disaster leaves us with a game that, while expertly produced, may not be so fondly remembered by history as previous installments in the franchise have been. For starters, Diablo 3's art direction (however much criticism was leveled against it during development) is as polished, focused, and well executed as all Blizzard games have become expected to be. The graphical fidelity of Diablo 3 is not state of the art; and for a very good reason. It was never meant to be. Diablo 3's graphical requirements are designed to be accessible, and in this regard the development team at Blizzard for Diablo 3 have done quite well despite the limitations they set for themselves. The lonely, desolate feel of Diablo 1 & 2 is still present in the third dimension, and overall design is still top notch. The cinematic cutscenes in Diablo 3 are probably the highest quality that can be produced with current technology and look fantastic. Unfortunately while the characters in Diablo 3's cutscenes are all jaw-gapingly pretty, Diablo 3's story fails to garner a similar reaction. In all honesty Diablo 3's writing is not bad enough to induce vomit, but it will certainly work your gag reflexes. Which is unfortunate because one of the best parts of Diablo 2 was it's dark, mysterious story of interweaving stories culminating in a showdown with Diablo, and ultimately resulting in the destruction of the Worldstone. Diablo 2's engaging story was certainly one of the factors behind the hype buildup for Diablo 3. I won't spoil anything about Diablo 3's story, but it's safe to say that story will most likely not be a replay value for most people. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately depending on how you look at it) Diablo 3's story and campain are fairly short. Expect to be through the campaign on normal difficulty in anywhere from a few hours to a day, depending on how completionist you tend to be. Nightmare difficulty takes only slightly longer, and is only slightly more difficult as well. Hell mode presents a fair leap in difficulty from both normal and nightmare difficulties, but by the time you beat the story for the 3rd time you will most likely be at or around level 60 with decent enough gear to run all 3 difficulties without too much trouble. Inferno, however, is a different story altogether. Most player's first experience in Inferno mode will most likely be dying to cannon fodder that are suddenly and mysteriously able to kill less durable classes in only a few swipes. More problematic are field minibosses which are transformed from what were essentially free magic quality loot into literal roadblocks preventing you and your friends (if you happen to be playing with them) from moving on. This is because Loot tables are set up to drop the most desirable and consistently level 60 gear from field bosses to encourage grinding out caverns and maps, and as a result field bosses are meant to be the most difficult encounters. Most actual story related boss encounters including Diablo itself are rather scripted and easy to defeat even on Inferno, and the loot they drop is accordingly scaled down. The result being that players are discouraged from farming bosses over and over and are instead encouraged to run entire dungeons or indeed acts to farm the rarest of loot. It isn't a bad thing to encourage per se, but fighting the lords of hell holds significantly less gravitas when reading their attacks tends to play out like an intense game of Simon Says.

But while the difficulty of Inferno at first encounter is frustratingly high, the actual mechanics and features of the game itself are conflictingly shallow. Gone are the stat points, skill points, and inventory management of Diablos past. In Diablo 3 everything is automatic, and you are given the option at a click of a button to create a town portal anywhere and anytime you want. The auction house is a good way to obtain items that are most likely leagues better than the ones you find for a relatively low price, and the addition of a real money auction house is honestly just valid response to gold farmers who would otherwise offer the same services. In the end, Diablo 3 is a well produced Blizzard product which does ARPG as well as is possible within the current formula. Which is a downright shame because Diablo 3 could have been a Blizzard's biggest chance to turn things upside down and breathe new life into the aging ARPG genre.
  40. Jun 18, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a mixed bag of delicious chocolate and **** shaped to look like chocolate. The gameplay in general is still fun, and the supposed dumbing down of the skill and attribute system actually works for me. This allows players to experiment with different builds without resorting to recreating a character again just to try something new. The exclusion of manual distribution ofDiablo 3 is a mixed bag of delicious chocolate and **** shaped to look like chocolate. The gameplay in general is still fun, and the supposed dumbing down of the skill and attribute system actually works for me. This allows players to experiment with different builds without resorting to recreating a character again just to try something new. The exclusion of manual distribution of attribute points is a little missed but ultimately doesn't take away too much from the game. The enemies in the game are generally well designed and fun to kill. There are, of course, some exception that make the game totally unfun to play: namely Soul Lashers (monsters that lash at you with their tongues from afar, move really quickly and somehow do massive damage out of nowhere), kamikaze imps that hide behind doors and blow up the instant you open the door; yes its a surprise unpleasant as it is but it just gets old and cheap really quickly. Some attributes of Elites are also very annoying like Invulnerable minions which make all the creatures accompanying the elite unkillable and also soaks up damage and blocks your path to the elite. Couple that with enemies that retreat and attack from afar and you got yourself a recipe for fun times!

The story , as in the plot, is fine; nothing great, just... fine. But the delivery is where everything is flushed down the toilet. Main plot lines are extremely cheesy. The scriptwriter must have had a lot of experience writing children's book because it really seems like they are the target audience for such unoriginal and tacky lines. Be it the constant whining of Diablo, which really takes away from the "terrifying" feel of the lord of terror. Or how the master of tacticians Azmodan essentially discusses his tactics with the player ever so often. Or how Magdha, a character that could only be discribed as the Jar Jar Binks of Diablo, narrates her plans like an episode of Dora the explorer. The list goes on, and trust me the list is loooong. Stupid, juvenile scriptwriting. There is, of course, some redemption in the "other" lines, of which I am sure did not come from the same person that wrote the main script. Lore books and lines from the followers are favorful and entertaining. A special nod to the deeply religious templar Kormac and to Covertus Shen. Pick it up, pick it up :)

Also, the always online part of the game is really annoying. There is absolutely no way you can play single player when the server goes down. As if i'm playing some kind of MMO. There are of course many reasons and justifications for this but ultimately, its just really annoying not being able to play by yourself when you want to.

If you're looking for a nice hack and slash game with good mechanics and replayablility, and you have a good internet connection and don't live in Australia,then yes, please give this a try. But if you're looking for a game that has good immersion and story, please for goodness sake look elsewhere because you would be sorely disappointed. I had quite high hopes for this game but unfortunately, it wasn't met. Blizzard was known for quality storytelling in its Warcraft, starcraft and Diablo series but they really dropped the ball with this one.
  41. Jun 19, 2012
    Bugs and DRM aside, after getting to the game I have to say I found it quite difficult to get into. The RPG elements like manipulating your characters specs were extremely limiting and the story comes off like a child's nursery rhyme. The gameplay starts to get extremely repetitive and the only thing I enjoyed was boss fights. Unfortunately they do not dominate the game, killing trash mobsBugs and DRM aside, after getting to the game I have to say I found it quite difficult to get into. The RPG elements like manipulating your characters specs were extremely limiting and the story comes off like a child's nursery rhyme. The gameplay starts to get extremely repetitive and the only thing I enjoyed was boss fights. Unfortunately they do not dominate the game, killing trash mobs does. It's a well made polished game but unfortunately the game falls short of being a top scorer. Expand
  42. Jun 20, 2012
    To me, this game is pretty awesome actually, however I can only give is a 6 because of the troubles i had even getting the launcher to work! i must have looked for answers for 4 hours at least. However, the game, once working, is pretty fun and a good buy.
  43. Jun 21, 2012
    A generally well made game which has failed to meet many expectations from the community, based on previous experience with the franchise. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of end-game content, which has left many more dedicated fans restless and unhappy (hence the bad reviews here).
  44. Jun 22, 2012
    IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: My account was banned, Blizzard claimed I had unauthorized third party software on my computer. I have no idea what they are talking about, I've come up with a list of things I have installed that might be causing the problem. Dual boot linux, Avast antivirus, Logitech gaming keyboard, and the f.lux brightness tool. Nothing even related to D3. If you buy this game,IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: My account was banned, Blizzard claimed I had unauthorized third party software on my computer. I have no idea what they are talking about, I've come up with a list of things I have installed that might be causing the problem. Dual boot linux, Avast antivirus, Logitech gaming keyboard, and the f.lux brightness tool. Nothing even related to D3. If you buy this game, be warned: Blizzard can take it away from you at any time and they don't even have to justify it. Expand
  45. Jun 23, 2012
    Inititally, regardless of issues on release day, I enjoyed this game. It was something that I looked forward to for years. Now, I don't even play it. Since the most recent patch 1.0.3., I feel like Blizzard is making changes that should not be made to an already released game. Changes this drastic should be made during beta testing, which was obviously rushed. Playing Diablo 3 alsoInititally, regardless of issues on release day, I enjoyed this game. It was something that I looked forward to for years. Now, I don't even play it. Since the most recent patch 1.0.3., I feel like Blizzard is making changes that should not be made to an already released game. Changes this drastic should be made during beta testing, which was obviously rushed. Playing Diablo 3 also relies so heavily on the gold and real money Auction House that the fun of grinding for gear is almost not present. I really feel like the Diablo team dropped the ball after making the first two fantastic games. As for now, unless I feel like spending real money on in game gear, I have no way to progress further into Inferno difficulty while still enjoying the game. Expand
  46. Jun 23, 2012
    As always in Blizzard releases, the visual impact is stunning. Colors, models, music, interfaces are just perfect. The average customer reaction is too influenced by early servers issues and does not even closely reflect what you experience in the game. Who accuses the plot to be predictable or puerile plot, maybe has forgot that Diablo has always been about some brave hero wandering andAs always in Blizzard releases, the visual impact is stunning. Colors, models, music, interfaces are just perfect. The average customer reaction is too influenced by early servers issues and does not even closely reflect what you experience in the game. Who accuses the plot to be predictable or puerile plot, maybe has forgot that Diablo has always been about some brave hero wandering and killing demons. If you look for something more intriguing, then the whole franchise is not what you need, not just this third episode. Try some german literature, maybe. Expand
  47. Jun 25, 2012
    Game is overally OK but it lacks the epicness of diablo II ,price is buffed due the games name. This game would bore a new player rather quickly so most likely only old diablo I and II players will stay on diablo III for long time.
  48. Jun 26, 2012
    This is a fun game, dont get me wrong: It's a solid hack-n-slash game, lots of clicking with your mouse, fast-paced, lots of looting. Overall though, I guess I'm just not as impressed as I thought. This could be due to all the hype and high expectations associated with D3, but it's alot different than its predecessor D2. This newer game has graphics more like Warcraft, more colorful butThis is a fun game, dont get me wrong: It's a solid hack-n-slash game, lots of clicking with your mouse, fast-paced, lots of looting. Overall though, I guess I'm just not as impressed as I thought. This could be due to all the hype and high expectations associated with D3, but it's alot different than its predecessor D2. This newer game has graphics more like Warcraft, more colorful but still "Hell" themed. I personally dont mind that the entire skill tree is unlocked by level, The game definitely has good CO-OP mode, you can join automatched public games. The story isn't that good, or maybe I wasn't paying attention... And overall, I feel like the game is too short. but I've only played on normal, and currently nightmare. Its a good game, sometimes I like Skyrim better. Expand
  49. Jul 3, 2012
    The game is too short and a lot of features are removed that were here in Diablo 2. I love some new stuff but that's just not enough for a game that was waited for 12 years. Expected more form graphics...
    I loved the story though and it seems to me that the game would be great but some crucial decisions went the wrong way...
  50. Jul 9, 2012
    I cant say I did not like the game but I did not love it either.. I just cant see the HUGE replayability everyone was talking about. The storyline is good and so is the gameplay but thats that. I really wanted the PvP to be there from the release but that didnt happen.. The AH is really good and verry helpfull and overall the game is enjoyable...
  51. Jul 9, 2012
    say what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, onesay what you want about this game... but Blizzard was able to pull off a playable game with much replay value, just like the other games they've done. i know Diablo III isn't that great, but why i keep playing it once in a while is a testament to how fun playing it can be despite all its problems... it's barely anything like Diablo I/II, it has a touch of WoW, the story is mediocre, one needs a constant connection just to play it. Expand
  52. Jul 12, 2012
    This isn't a bad game so much as a game that fails to live up to expectations. The game play has been so simplified that it quickly gets repetitive. I was greatly annoyed by the need for an internet connection--the game regularly logged out for unknown reasons. I was also bothered to discover that the auction house was a far more effective way of acquiring specific gear--this results inThis isn't a bad game so much as a game that fails to live up to expectations. The game play has been so simplified that it quickly gets repetitive. I was greatly annoyed by the need for an internet connection--the game regularly logged out for unknown reasons. I was also bothered to discover that the auction house was a far more effective way of acquiring specific gear--this results in players spending a good fraction of the game at auction when they should be out there killing demons. Expand
  53. Jul 12, 2012
    Not a bad game but not a good game. 40 hrs of enjoyment for $60. That is $1.50 an hour, which is not worth it for a video game. Very little innovation to the genre. No depth in character creation, since the character can be instantly changed to whatever skill set you want. Item system is weak by design, since items your level almost never drop. Its just a standard hack and slash game withNot a bad game but not a good game. 40 hrs of enjoyment for $60. That is $1.50 an hour, which is not worth it for a video game. Very little innovation to the genre. No depth in character creation, since the character can be instantly changed to whatever skill set you want. Item system is weak by design, since items your level almost never drop. Its just a standard hack and slash game with a mediocre story (especially when judging by blizzards standards). Wait for the price to drop to $30 at least, or just buy Torchlight II when it comes out, as it will probably be a all around better game for 1/3 the price. Expand
  54. Jul 14, 2012
    Has lots of potential but fails to reward the player enough. Needs more random maps and less random loot. Sound, graphics and general mechanics are good enough.
  55. Jul 18, 2012
    If you like Hack'n'Slay games you will have fun. As said before there picks up where it ends in Diablo 2 LoD. The Skill System is less individual than in Diablo 2. One of the great Problem is the long term motivation.
    Once i killed Diablo in Inferno-difficulty my motivation said goodbye and i didn't play it since then.
    But the Game itself is fun, the skillsystem is intuitive and easy to
    But the Game itself is fun, the skillsystem is intuitive and easy to understand, i had 200+ hours of fun with friends or alone on the itemhunt. Another point i don't like is the auction house for obvious reasons.
  56. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a little over 60 hours into the game, and I will be the first one to tell you that while it is very good, there are a lot of things that just leave me scratching my head. The biggest problem is that the elite items you need to even be able to play in Inferno difficulty never drop. In the time I have played, I have yet to see a SINGLE legendary or set item drop. Part of me wonders if they've done that to try, and get people to spend money in the RMAH (if that's their plan it's worked on me). One of my favorite things about Diablo 2 is that you would be rewarded somewhat regularly by getting good items. I think that was why it was so addictive. This is more akin to playing a slot machine that won't pay out. The only legendary and set items I've been able to get my hands on were from the auction house. It's a very good looking game. Especially when comparing it to Diablo 2, it's obviously a vast improvement. It's not nearly as cartoony as WoW, but it just doesn't feel as evil as D2 or even D1. I'm pretty disappointed that the graphics don't support SLI. Maybe they will in a future patch, but I wish they would have spent less time making cinematics that everyone will watch a exactly once and skip them going forward, and more time making the game run better. It can get choppy, and the framerate can slow to a crawl if there's too much going on at once (even with a new computer). I did a Witch Doctor, and while it's definitely fun to rain toads down on my enemies, there are a lot of flat out WORTHLESS skills that they put in there. Toad of Hugeness? Spider Queen? Snake to the Face? Comical skills at best, but they feel like filler material to me. Zombie dogs were useful until about halfway through nightmare when they started dying instantly. WD needs some serious buffs because right now, you can just about guarantee that every other elite monster is going to kill you about a dozen times in inferno (and probably break all your items). Speaking of magic enchanted monsters, I'm a little confused why they're so much more powerful that the unique ones you run into. I can kill monsters with purple names and act bosses easily enough, but the champion ones with 3-4 magical enchantments? Wait til you run into your first pack of, oh I don't know, vampiric, extra health, plagued, waller zombies. I can't believe there's people who play hardcore mode...

Despite my gripes though, it's still a good game. Though I'm not sure if I'm playing it because I truly love it, or if I'm playing it trying to relive my Diablo 2 nostalgia. Time will tell. It's definitely more linear, and you really don't have that sense of community like you had in D2. I think that's because there's really no interface anymore for you to chat in outside games, or even pick the games you want to play in (currently if you join a public game, you pick what quest you want to play, and it puts you in a random game with other people on that same quest). Hopefully Blizzard will be diligent about making meaningful improvements to the game. I've been playing the Diablo series since the last 90's, and would hate to see it end like this. At the end of the day it's a fun hack and slash game, but it doesn't feel as much like a Diablo game as it should.
  57. Jul 26, 2012
    To say this game is the best thing ever is completely ignorant. But so is giving it a zero or one because while its greatly flawed it is still a decent but not great game. Especially playing it online with mates. Unengaging story , uninspiring design and pretty dull and repetitive gameplay. Graphics despite the games design i thought were pretty good, generic blizzard games music, didn'tTo say this game is the best thing ever is completely ignorant. But so is giving it a zero or one because while its greatly flawed it is still a decent but not great game. Especially playing it online with mates. Unengaging story , uninspiring design and pretty dull and repetitive gameplay. Graphics despite the games design i thought were pretty good, generic blizzard games music, didn't quite live up to the series. Expand
  58. Jul 29, 2012
    I would give this game no more than a 6. I have played many diablo games and this one was a cluster F starting with the AH debachle which cost me thousands of real life dollars by delaying it. Screw this game.
  59. Aug 4, 2012
    Most of the credit I give this game is for being true to it's heritage.

I love the way the graphics are made, the way the music is tied to the older games in the series, and the way the story is told. The sad part is that the gameplay is really not that entertaining. It's the old games in a prettier wrapping. I played my main character through to the last act on nightmare, and got
    Most of the credit I give this game is for being true to it's heritage.

The sad part is that the gameplay is really not that entertaining. It's the old games in a prettier wrapping. I played my main character through to the last act on nightmare, and got bored with the repetitive gameplay. Haven't really looked at it any more after that.
  60. Aug 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a good game if it wasn't developed by Blizzard. It
  61. Yst
    Aug 16, 2012
    Diablo III is a fairly satisfactory dungeon romp, in the manner of its predecessors. If making enemies explode and effortlessly plowing through a horde of the undead satisfies you, this may be just the thing. Its environments are attractive, even if its story, voice acting and writing are generally of very poor quality (as this is not the game
  62. Aug 22, 2012
    This is a late review, but I think a late game deserves as much. In any event, I wanted to get it right. Diablo 3 is unlike any game Ive played before in that is succeeds so brilliantly in the little things, but fails so catastrophically at its core. The graphics of Diablo 3 are among the best, its a great hybrid between hand-drawn artwork and high-octane animations in great density. KillThis is a late review, but I think a late game deserves as much. In any event, I wanted to get it right. Diablo 3 is unlike any game Ive played before in that is succeeds so brilliantly in the little things, but fails so catastrophically at its core. The graphics of Diablo 3 are among the best, its a great hybrid between hand-drawn artwork and high-octane animations in great density. Kill animations are numerous and always feel satisfying, and the landscapes nail the dark fantasy feel. The cinematic are breath-taking. The audio is also great, with an insane number of audio cues between skills and monsters and events plus a good soundtrack never hurt anyone. The game is long and begs to be replayed numerous times which shows how powerful the character progression is. The story is far too terrible to be a driving force, its characters are all one-dimensional, and plot twists are few and predictable. The only thing I didnt predict was how little closure the ending would give. But everything I just mentioned is just a drop in the bucket, because Diablo 3 fails to be either a game or a work of art. The implementation of the video and audio only exist to enhance the gameplay and the story is virtually non-existent. Theres no deeper meaning hidden anywhere. The problem is that the game aspect of Diablo 3 is also built on a flawed foundation. Diablo 3s gameplay is built entirely on 2 pillars: skills and gear. Theres nothing else to it, and both pillars are undermined by their flaws. On the one hand, the skills in Diablo 3 are amazing - at first. Unlocking new runes and new skills opens worlds of possibilities, and theres nothing more fun than switching builds around trying different playstyles. The problem is that you can only do this for a limited time. As you progress through the game and unlock new skills, you will also move onto harder difficulties. In Diablo 3 you have NO CHOICE over what difficulty, not because the game doesnt allow you to choose, but because the difficulties dont scale to level. If your the kinda gamer who likes a normal difficulty, Youll enjoy nightmare the most. But the problem is that you cant start on nightmare, and you cant end on nightmare. Once you beat nightmare, playing again will never be the same because youve already leveled beyond it. Once you beat a difficulty, going back to it is simply too easy to be any fun, your forced to do the next difficulty because its only one thats remotely challenging and its the only one in which your character can progress, either in level or gear. The new difficulties are scaled to be more difficult however. Once you get to Hell difficulty (the 3rd if you dont know), Diablo 3 gets difficult, and sometimes its unecessarily difficult, and some people like that, others dont. Hell difficulty is when your favorite builds stop working, and your playstyles start to die off one by one because they simply arent good enough. If you go all the way through that, your capped out forever on inferno difficulty, in which nearly every player in the world is limited to only a select few cookie cutter builds. You know the billions of skill and rune combos you used to have so much fun with? Well they might as well be gone because experimentation outside the cookie cutter is dealt with sheer brutality by the later difficulties. Inferno is at many times difficult on an unfair level. But my level 60 cant play anything else because theres no other difficulty where I can progress or have any fun. I can choose between far too easy and far too difficult. This feeds into the next issue, because Diablo 3 is all about the gear. The people who can do inferno can do so because they have the gear that makes it possible. But theres 2 problems with the gear. For one, gear is generated on a heirarchical basis. First it generates the level, then the number of bonuses, then the scale of each bonus, and the odds continue to roll on an exponential level ranging from complete **** to godly. The gear that gets people through inferno isnt the 1 in a 1000 drop, its not even a 1 in 10,000 drop. Its a one in a million drop. But surely theres ways to increase my chances of finding magic items. 2 things, you can use items that boost magic find but at the expense of bonuses that you NEED to survive the areas that drop good items, and then you have to actually get to those areas. To get past Act I inferno, you need AcT II gear. To get past Act II, you need Act III gear. Between the odds of finding the gear you need and not being able to progress because you need gear from an area beyond you, most players are caught in a tragic end-game loop, a loop that destroys the essential criteria of fun. Diablo 3 is a game with a time limit, theres not fun endgame stuff to do like there is in WoW, its built so that your character caps out. Theres no power/difficulty plateau, it keeps getting harder until you cant progress. Farming can only delay the cap, but whats the point? Its not fun. It's bad design. Expand
  63. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is great to play with friends from lvl 1 to lvl 60 (about 3-4 days). It has nice effects, appealing graphics, dynamic combat. However, it becomes boring at lvl 60, as it gets repetitive and turns into a grinding game. Bots own the game economy, the difficulty level is mostly inadequate. Maybe future patches will change this: who knows?
  64. Aug 30, 2012
    Combat and character progression is fun and make you don't want to stop playing, but it's only until Hell. Inferno is a really repetitive play with objection of finding gears to be sold in Real Money Auction House. The fun is stop until Hell for me. Paragon level update doesn't work well with me, still boring. Crafting is very useless, you better spend money on auction house rather inCombat and character progression is fun and make you don't want to stop playing, but it's only until Hell. Inferno is a really repetitive play with objection of finding gears to be sold in Real Money Auction House. The fun is stop until Hell for me. Paragon level update doesn't work well with me, still boring. Crafting is very useless, you better spend money on auction house rather in crafting. PvP is not implemented yet. If you seek for hack and slash game, I recommend you to wait for Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile, or at least until Diablo 3 release the PvP if you still want. Do not be tricked with the Diablo franchise, Diablo 2 and 3 are different. Expand
  65. Sep 1, 2012
    Diablo III is a nice game... but it falls short when compared to its predecessors. The spooky atmosphere is gone, replaced by a cartoonish WOW environment. It guess it was supposed to appeal to a broader audience, but i'm not sure it worked.
  66. Sep 3, 2012
    This game gets old fast. D2 was an amazing game and very much of it's time. D3 manages to get nowhere near it's predecessor. The game is extremely repetitive, more so than other games around at the moment. The model may have worked for Diablo and Diablo 2, but players have come to expect more from video games these days. Once you have played through the game once, like the previousThis game gets old fast. D2 was an amazing game and very much of it's time. D3 manages to get nowhere near it's predecessor. The game is extremely repetitive, more so than other games around at the moment. The model may have worked for Diablo and Diablo 2, but players have come to expect more from video games these days. Once you have played through the game once, like the previous games, you are expected to start again but on a harder difficulty but for me, once I've seen the story, the game is over. It's not something that I can keep doing again and again when I know exactly what's going to happen. Ok game, but probably should have left the series alone. Expand
  67. Sep 4, 2012
    The game is not bad it is great the first couple of hours then it gets really boring, The music is great, the graphics look awesome on max settings, the combat is great even though the game favors ranged classes over melee, all classes are fun to play, the dungeons are random so you at least get something different every time you visit one. Those are the strong points of the game, now forThe game is not bad it is great the first couple of hours then it gets really boring, The music is great, the graphics look awesome on max settings, the combat is great even though the game favors ranged classes over melee, all classes are fun to play, the dungeons are random so you at least get something different every time you visit one. Those are the strong points of the game, now for the bad ones, the story is very predictable, the game feels so short... you have to play on higher difficulties to get your money's worth, so you have to go back and play the same story until you get to Inferno, when the game becomes a grind for gear or for money to buy gear.

I had a lot of fun my first play-through which lasted around 2 days, it started to get boring after that, i don't see a reason to play this game anymore, it's a lot of fun to play with friends but other than that it gets boring soon. If you are expecting an experience like the one D2 delivered, you will not find it here, they stripped the game of all the difficulty, even on Inferno, i've found myself dying to enrage timers more than lack of skill, the game forces you to grind for gear or buy from the real money auction house. Unless you don't have anything to do and like spending all your time doing mindless unrewarding farming don't buy the game, even with the new paragon system the game feels like a chore, really boring.
  68. Sep 19, 2012
    This game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even onThis game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even on inferno with good team you can kill any mob or any boss without too much trouble. This game does not deserve 10 but it also does not deserve 0. I just expected more from Diablo. Expand
  69. Sep 13, 2012
    This game is great until you get to the hardest difficulty. Once you hit that the game becomes so hard its unbearable. If you don't plan on replaying it over and over then its a good (not great) dungeon crawler but if you are like me and expected something close to Diablo 2 with the hardest difficulty actually being possible then don't be surprised when you are forced to use the auctionThis game is great until you get to the hardest difficulty. Once you hit that the game becomes so hard its unbearable. If you don't plan on replaying it over and over then its a good (not great) dungeon crawler but if you are like me and expected something close to Diablo 2 with the hardest difficulty actually being possible then don't be surprised when you are forced to use the auction house to advance any further in the game. I put likely hundreds of hours into Diablo 2 over multiple years, that will not be the case with this game as I have no desire to ever go back and play it. Expand
  70. Sep 22, 2012
    This was an ok game. The combat was good and the co-op online was fun. I also liked some of the art for the items. I enjoyed playing with my wizard until about halfway through NM. However, the negatives imo just avalanche the positives. The art style does not fit the series. It's too cartoony for the medieval, gothic theme of Diablo. I will say it is done well, but it does not fit. TheThis was an ok game. The combat was good and the co-op online was fun. I also liked some of the art for the items. I enjoyed playing with my wizard until about halfway through NM. However, the negatives imo just avalanche the positives. The art style does not fit the series. It's too cartoony for the medieval, gothic theme of Diablo. I will say it is done well, but it does not fit. The itemization is the biggest flaw in this game. A combination of your weapon and your main stat for your character, are how damage is calculated. All other affixes on items are meaningless unless you have your main stat + vitality on items. This is a major flaw, because there is less space for fun attributes when the spot is filled by your stats, that D2's stat system handles. The affixes are boring on items. While as in Diablo II you had interesting and fun items with attributes like cast firebolt on hit, or a 12% chance to blind enemy on hit, in Diablo III, you are stuck with +stat, +stat+, .001 chance to freeze. Blizzard has taken their need to control and balance characters way too far, forgetting the fact that the Diablo series has always was been about being overpowered and slaughtering enemies. That was the fun part. I'll put it this way- in Diablo II, I felt like a God slaying all demons in my path and pillaging villages for tremendous loot. In Diablo III I felt like a miner hacking away in a coal mine all day, with a pickaxe, hoping to eventually find GOLD. Also, I find that the skills system and the removing of the stat system really annoyed me, in this game. I like to be able to customize my character and carve my own path through a game. This game does not give me the freedom to do that, when I am using the same build as everyone else. My final complaint with this game is the Auction House (Gold or RM). This was the worst decision ever for an ARPG. When I could buy items easily in the auction house that are much better than anything I could ever have a chance to find (because of the extremely low drop rates), what reason do I have to actually enjoy hunting for loot? I don't have fun looting in D3 and that is a major issue with the game. I am extremely opposed to the idea of play to win. I feel like you should have to play the game to benefit from the rewards. Maybe I'm crazy lol. Anyway, I would not recommend this game, but I would recommend Torchlight 2. It is a fantasic game, that you will love if you enjoyed Diablo 2 and can look past graphics. Expand
  71. Sep 23, 2012
    When you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is theWhen you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is the ruined gloomy/gothic atmosphere of the previous games. It just looks like you're playing Torchlight, but, to be honest, Torchlight was more addictive. Everything is so bright and cartooney, sometimes you can't even see your character. About the monsters design - I liked it. But the Diablo with **** was not so cool. Playing together with someone makes the game more fun and if I tried to walk it through by my own the user Score would be lower for sure. Summing up I'll say that this is an average game, not bad, not good, but still a lot of people will be playing it just because it's Diablo III. Expand
  72. Sep 25, 2012
    Amazing graphics. Fun story, but pointless after first play through. IF you enjoy the grind then the game is fine...otherwise it gets old fast. Feels like a player has to constantly buy stuff from the auction house for good loot and to progress in the game. Crafting rarely gives you anything of value.

They should have tuned normal to be nightmare difficulty to provide some challenge to the game up front.
  73. Sep 26, 2012
    Gave it a 6 because it feels like it almost made a passing grade but fell short in the long run. At first it is fun, but you can immediately see how it is pretty basic from the beginning (from a build option stand point) but you ignore it and try to have fun.The fun is had but starts to fade. You start to enter the second game phase, Auction House 3. You gawk over things you will never beGave it a 6 because it feels like it almost made a passing grade but fell short in the long run. At first it is fun, but you can immediately see how it is pretty basic from the beginning (from a build option stand point) but you ignore it and try to have fun.The fun is had but starts to fade. You start to enter the second game phase, Auction House 3. You gawk over things you will never be able to own and have little to no chance of dropping. You can forget about getting more than one piece from a set without having to buy from the AH. Everything with the balancing is just madness because the developers are being pulled in every direction from the community. It feels so linear and you end up playing the same act (act3 if you're smart) over and over and over. I look back and I just think how much more productive I could have been with my gaming time. Still got my money worth, but feel like I deserve some rebate money in return. Expand
  74. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly,This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly, very beautiful, but there is no trace of the old dark pathos, the skirmishes most of the times are an incredible mass where the player can't understand what is going on and has just to click the mouse, like maybe the Diablo II Lord Of Destruction MOD called Median XL; other features are very similar to this mod, they have probably played it during the development, which took too many years for the final result. Few weeks after relase they found bugs to be corrected, gameplay things to be modified, immortality bugs to be removed; it wasn't a good product, but with the latest patches is more enjoyable. I bought it the day of the relase, with many friends, none of us is still playing it, because it quickly gets boring; we started Diablo II again in LAN, we enjoyed it much more probably. Expand
  75. Oct 3, 2012
    People rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then thosePeople rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then those things the game does a decent job at staying true to the ARPG genre. Expand
  76. Oct 6, 2012
    A very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of belovedA very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of beloved characters. To sum up, D3 is a wild ride that ultimately disappoints. This is Diablo in name only. Play it for 30 hours then quit because it doesn't deserve more of your time. A sad state of affairs... Expand
  77. Nov 8, 2012
    A great sequel to the series which improved on everything that the previous games in the series lacked, be it balance, itemization (post 1.0.5), re-playability, overall fun and the faith to the previous games.

Plagued by flimsy launch and hype, people have smashed it in the social media and will tell you its horrible and/or terrible. I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked

I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked Diablo 1/2 and just want to play a good hack & slash RPG with most of the limitations Diablo 2 suffered from, Diablo 3 is for you.

If you want to judge the game by gossip, reviewers who haven't even played it and/or the previous games or simply have chosen to hate it, then don't get it.

In the end, Diablo 3 is a very solid game which launched as a 6/10 game, has now been fixed to 8/10 area and which can improve itself to 10/10 ratio over future patches / expansions.
  78. Nov 10, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game,I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game, it feels like a money maker, and that's not the way I want to see the gaming industry go. Expand
  79. Feb 21, 2013
    So they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted toSo they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted to believe, god damn greedy bastards. Expand
  80. Nov 14, 2012
    Hi all. I am writing this review after playing the game since day one and i must say i had fun with Diablo III. The game itself features nice but not-that-amazing graphics, interesting classes and an overall fun gameplay. When you finish the game at normal difficulty you may switch to a higher one and replay the storyline: it is nothing new nor different but the advanced difficulty is,Hi all. I am writing this review after playing the game since day one and i must say i had fun with Diablo III. The game itself features nice but not-that-amazing graphics, interesting classes and an overall fun gameplay. When you finish the game at normal difficulty you may switch to a higher one and replay the storyline: it is nothing new nor different but the advanced difficulty is, overall, a nice challenge to take. The real disappointment, though, comes when you finish the game and all the difficulty levels up to Inferno (and don't think this will take a good amount of time...): simply put, Diablo III end game is, at the moment, nothing more then a gold farm, necessary in order to buy better equipment. Repetitiveness at its finest. The more money one is able to make, the better the character will be. Players' skill almost does not matter at all: success = build + equip. I will wait for the multiplayer patch which should add a deeper end game content. Blizzard still has a chance to change Diablo III into a very good game, with the multiplayer addition, but this will be far from a simple tasks, since it won't be easy to balance player equipments and skill levels. Expand
  81. Nov 14, 2012
    I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time.I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time. Playing through again is kind of a chore- the plotline is pretty terrible, so that's certainly not a reason to go through again. Once you have all the skills, the runes are not that compelling of a reason to continue leveling up. Gear is hard to come by, as certain attributes are nearly useless for certain classes. Then again, you already all know this. The game is not as bad as has been said (you're pretty much guaranteed to put more than 30 hours into the game, which is, in my opinion, worth the price), but then again- I wasn't a D2 fanatic myself. I played casually in D2, and feel that D3 is an upgrade in certain ways, but a downgrade in others (plotline, atmosphere, and character customizability). Expand
  82. Nov 16, 2012
    I waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I reallyI waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I really can't get over the feeling of a 3D platform game, it really feels that linear to me. It doesn't feel like I'm in this desolate world where I can go and explore and just murder hordes of creeps. Cinematics are some of the best I have ever seen, the story is good, but the re-playability is poor. DRM is a bad idea but understandable with real money in the mix, although I never used the RMAH an option to not use it and play offline would have been acceptable Expand
  83. Nov 23, 2012
    Graphics were reasonably good. but the storyline and overall gameplay was dull and boring, with not a huge amount of replay value. I felt everything I did was repeated over and over again.
  84. Dec 13, 2012
    The User Score is just a tad low, but far more accurate than the critic scores.

The User Score is just a tad low, but far more accurate than the critic scores.

For veterans of the Diablo series, there are clear disappointments with this title. If D3 is your first Diablo title, you'll likely think it's a great game. All told, it's got some excellent stuff and some really bad ideas. The two clash in such a way that it's hard to appreciate the way the game was developed.

The action of D3 is unmatched. The smooth controls, fluid ability use, mindless hack and slash of monster explosions is a symphony of awesome. The art is beautiful, the music is fair, and the sheer ease with which you can move through the game is addicting. But the cost has been extremely high and it may show itself to have not been worthwhile in the long run. It would take a lot to redeem this franchise, as D3 obliterates it's past, remakes itself, and sells its soul in the name of accessibility.

So what's the soul of Diablo? It used to be character building. Nothing gave the game it's staying power and intrigue like it's character building. This included stat allocations and the infamous gear hunt. This is all gone in D3. While some may argue that the gear hunt is still there, it is without purpose or intrigue. Few can be bothered to hunt down the astronomical hours it would take to find near perfect items as we all once loved to do in D2. This is due to the introduction of the Auction Houses, which have had a detrimental impact on the design of items and ultimately on their drop rate. D3 isn't boring, but it's no sequel. This game could have been labeled with any other name and received high fan acclaim. But as a sequel, it's been largely rejected as reflected in the User Score here. It just doesn't live up to it's predecessors and falls very short of being a strong game on it's own merit.
  85. Jan 2, 2013
    -4 because of such a heavy reliance on an auction house and real money auction house. I have to fill 45 remaining characters. I have to fill nine rema
  86. Jan 24, 2013
    Diablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simpleDiablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simple to strong for the averaged geared players to switch up their skills and try to have fun. The endgame is farming, which I have no problem with, and neither should you. However, the drops are simple terrible, and all Blizzard has done is gone and 'Doubled' pretty much everything! I'm going to stop here and let you form your own opinion, but this is a pretty average game. Diablo 3 will get better the as more patches come out. I'm going to give it a 6/10 because it offers massive replay ability. I got well over 400 hours before it started to feel repetitive. If you want to get Diablo 3 all I can recommend is to stay away from the RMAH. Expand
  87. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to theDRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to the series/style but a step backwards as far as fans of the series are concerned. Expand
  88. Mar 20, 2013
    A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House.A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House. Very predictable storyline with annoying characters as they guide you through Diablo 3. An attempt of shocking ending makes players want to face palm themselves because Blizzard was trying too hard on making a predictable plot twist. DIABLO 3 brought to you by BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. Expand
  89. Apr 23, 2013
    It's probably been said in the hundreds of reviews this is not a Diablo game. In fact, if it was not named "Diablo", this would make a great 10 buck arcade game. If that was the case, I would give it a direct 5 star rating. But now I'm grading this game according to the expectations that it set and how it compares to its great predecessor. Lets see the pros and cons:

Pros: - Beautiful

Pros:
    - Beautiful animations and effects
    - Fantastic sound (with the right headphones it is truly a blast)
    - Improved inventory management and storage
    - Auction house makes it easier to trade....you don't need to stay in a "trade" game for hours to sell/buy stuff

Cons:
    - Visuals do not match the Diablo universe it too colorful and childish, nothing like the dark tones in Diablo 1 and 2
    - Being able to change skills on the fly, and no attributes distribution, is interesting but it feels like you don't invest anything in your character (aka very limited personalization). I would rather prefer a skill tree system like in Diablo 2, but with the option to reset your skills for a small cost.
    - Itemization, which was the core of the previous games, is simply WRONG! Finding a really good item, worth keeping or selling is very hard, the legendary items are 95% of the time rubbish, the scaling is ridiculous there is nothing worth keeping for more than few levels, because at level 60 even the blue items are far superior to the level 55 legendaries.
    - Real money auctions make the game P2W (pay to win)
    - The crafting system is bad the randomization of the stats and the high crafting costs, means that you end up spending a lot more money to craft something useful, than by buying it from AH
    - There are no rune words, imbuing, socketing, jewels, horadric crafting, etc.....
    - The story is simple and anti-climatic and characters are dull and annoying. The mercs are totally useless on the high levels
    - Last but not least, the constant online requirement is frustrating...

So if you are wondering whether to buy this or not......if you are not a diablo hardcore fan keep wondering until the price drops to 10 pounds, at the current price it is not worth it. If you are a fan, better wait for Torchlight 2.
  90. May 1, 2013
    Although I have found Diablo 3 to be thoroughly enjoyable, I can't deny that I'm somewhat disappointed after such a long wait. Firstly the visuals, despite being pretty, are not really dark enough or befitting of a Diablo title.

I remember playing the first game and being genuinely disturbed by the dank environments, with their low lighting and desaturated sprites. Now it's all too polished, clean and bright.

Although it's fun to go back to the old 'point and click/hack and slash' method of yesteryear, one can't help but think that a slightly more intuitive approach to game play could have been implemented.

If you enjoy the Diablo legend, and similar such 'hell on earth' fantasy type affairs, you'll find a definite level of enjoyment here.
  91. May 2, 2013
    It wasn't a terrible game. The first play through was actually quite fun. And it had that 'I can't wait to get home so I can keep playing' feeling I loved so much with Diablo II.
    But it did have some serious flaws. I really don't appreciate the have to be online to play feature but I understand it, the real money auction house was a joke, the re-playability was limit and the story was kind of sloppy.
    All in all was a good way to kill a week of spare time, but not fantastic.
  92. Jun 9, 2013
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    diablo 3 is a pretty solid action game (not arpg) and is enjoyable until a certain point, but it suffer from major design flaws.
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    resistance and armor are the same thing, the damage of EVERY skills (physical attack, spell, minion) is based on the main hand weapon dps, if you want to upgrade you gear (after a certain amount of time) you can rely solely on the auction house.
    i would not recommend anyone from buying it, and the reason i give it a 6, is because the gameplay (smashing monsters face) is very good, indeed the only thing that's good about it.
    if i have to describe diablo 3 in one word, it will be: casualfest.
  93. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3 is hard to review. The area where this game really shines is its combat. The combat is so fluid and satisfying, it really saves the game.

As for the other elements: I didn't like the story or the mood of the game. It certainly isn't as dark as Diablo 2, sometimes it even feels childish, especially how the evil protagonists are presented to you.
    What really annoyed me is the amount of dialogue. Out of nowhere they talk to you, tease you and try to intimidate, but I never felt some kind of horror or fear. The game fails hard in this regard.
    The story is foreseeable, never exciting and all in all it doesn't really fit the Diablo setting. There are also some rather strange deciscion, especially when it comes to Deckard Cain. What happened to him doesn't add anything to the story or game world, but the franchise has lost its most iconic character. What's the point in this? I mean, maybe they have a long term plan when it comes to the story and someday it will make sense, but somehow I doubt this.

The new skill and character system is so easy and dumbed down, it doesn't promote "real" builds or great thought processes. But I won't blame it everything, a big player in this mess is also the item system, which just isn't complexe enough to encourage players to come up with new builds.

There are other things which people do not like, for example the real money auction house or the auction house in general. I am not a huge fan of it either, but nowhere is it the biggest problem of the game.

This price goes to the following: Blizzard is known for supporting its games with regular content. Diablo 3 is different in this way. There hasn't been any "real" content besides the uber bosses since its release, and even that is blatantly stolen from Diablo 2. I mean, they tried to change the game in so many ways, and now they come up with...this? It's not that the system about the uber bosses is bad or anything, it is just disappointing that the new team doesn't have its own ideas where it would be really appropriate, but changes things that worked really well, like the whole character and skill system.
    So, for me this is the biggest problem I have with this game: The lack of new content. And Diablo 3 is desperatley in need of some new mechanics that make this game more diverse. Be it an endless dungeon system like in Torchlight, or the map system like in Path of Exile, the Diablo 3 fails to implement exciting new ways on how to play. Sure, Diablo 2 doesn't have that either, but it has a ladder system and offers a ton of different builds. Diablo 3 doesn't have that and so it needs regular, new content to keep the masses interested. So therefore I never understood why they do not come up with DLCs or something similar, because judging from the lack of content it is obvious that the real money auction house fails to monetise on the game.

Conclusion: I still have hope for Diablo 3, but it will be a long road for Blizzard 'till this game is anywhere near Diablo 2 in terms of fun and replayability. Until then it will be a mindless grind for gear with better stats.
  94. Feb 21, 2014
    I played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy toI played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy to cherry pick the best gear in the game for your characters. In a game where the carrot on the stick is the gear grind... having a Auction House negated the carrot. I'm hopeful that the future expansion's overhaul of the legionaries, shut-down of the Auction House, and new character class will spark my interest. Expand
  95. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them withDiablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them with new ones? We could have about 9 character classes ... New characters are extremely uninteresting. I did not like the barbarian or witch doctor or monk or demon hunter. According to me it is just a good magician. Anything else? Probably not. Diablo III- I would only recommend it only for the biggest fans of the series. Expand
  96. Oct 11, 2014
    This game was ... Good. But (and lets all be honest with ourselves) it could never live up to the Hype. Unfortunately it didn't even live up to other games in the Genre. Torchlight 2 at launch had game play elements and abilities that were only recently added in patches 2.5 years after launch. Diablo 3 only trumps Torchlight 2 on graphics and cut scene/story quality...

If you are a die

If you are a die hard dungeon crawler fan, this game isn't bad... now (2.5 years later)... but if you are looking to get into dungeon crawlers go for Torchlight 2. Cheaper and better.
  97. Dec 10, 2014
    A shadow of its predecessors. It's not terrible and the recent expansion/patch does a lot to rectify what was originally wrong with it, but it's still not what I was hoping for as a fan of 1 and 2.

Try out the brilliant Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile instead - both of which are superior to this letdown.

Jimbo Rating: 6/10
  98. Apr 26, 2015
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC
    * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC
    * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act
    * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go
    * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i kill all bosses, enemys, everything with two spells

so basically you dont create character AT ALL, you can only find items, that's it

In D2 everyone had to read various character builds, guides, save skills up to level 30 and many more.

And in D3 everything is dumbed down completely. D2 also had great replayability value as HUGE levels was randomly generated. Now levels are same and ultra samll.

surely Diablo 3 still nice game but its not really Diablo anymore.

+ not bad graphics + sound, translation, story - dumbed down for casual to obvilion
  99. May 15, 2012
    Too simplified game principles, wow graphics, too many concessions. Poor atmosphere as well. This game is not so good as Diablo 2. I don´t like new health/mana system as well. Character development is very simplified.
  100. May 15, 2012
    This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. ButThis is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN! Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012