4.0

1. May 15, 2012
    Before I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product ofBefore I say anything else, please consider that my score reflects what I consider to be the quality of the game. I know there are no real guidelines here and that reviewing anything is subjective...but on this site I see WAY too many games rated either 0 or 10, usually by people who have no idea how to actually review a product. So if you are looking for a review that isn't the product of a completely polarized opinion, keep reading. First of all, I was fortunate enough to not have been subjected to the frustrations that so many experienced just trying to get the game to install. I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to say that while the game looks decent (I run it at low settings due to an older computer (I built it in 2004)) and is fast paced and entertaining, it's not what it could have been. The changes that Blizzard made to the series have led to a game with very little strategy, due in part to the lack of real options for building your character and also due to the fact that you get all of your character's skills automatically when you level up. Instead of having a maximum amount of skills that you can purchase during the course of a game, you are limited by how many abilities you can actually use at any given time. You start off with the ability to have a skill assigned to the left and right mouse buttons and then unlock 1 through 4 on the keyboard as you level up. While I understand that keeping the game simple was the goal here, the end result leaves a lot to be desired, as you will have more skills than you have hotkeys fairly quickly, which doesn't make much sense. Gone is the ability to choose to specialize in one skill or to branch out and have many skills that are less powerful. Your attributes (strength, dexterity and all of that) are improved automatically now, so there is yet another way to customize your character that has been taken from you. Also, they have continued the trend started in Diablo 2 and this game has moved even farther away from being a true single player game. I want a save feature, a real, honest to god save game feature. This is PC gaming in 2012, not Playstation gaming in 2000. Blizzard has made some truly bizarre decisions about what their players actually want in a game, and this is the result; less real customization and control of your character in exchange for some rather dubious features and way too much focus on level-based progression. Everything that your character can do, EVEN ASSIGNING HOTKEYS, is now based on character level...which is really, really stupid.

On the other hand, the lore in the game is pretty interesting, the game runs great on my older pc, the combat is entertaining, and the interactions you can have with some of the environments can result in some fun situations (usually involving a high body count). I enjoyed the voice acting and the art work, and I'm glad that the next chapter in this saga is finally here...I just wish they would have made it more like the first Diablo. On the other hand, I do feel that this game IS better than Diablo 2, so I think there is a move in the right direction; not a huge move, but a move none the less. Is it worth $60? Not really, but it is worth playing if you are a fan of the series. If your not, then you might not want to spend your time on this.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Honestly what's with the bad reviews? I've played this game for 2-3 hours now and it's been great so far. I can see that the skills are very different and versatile, and will hopefully be fun to use.
  3. May 15, 2012
    Step 1. Take Torchlight
    Step 2. Add voiced dialogues
    Step 3. Release as a whole new game

This game gets the same score Torchlight got, since it's practically the same game just with slightly different graphics and voiced dialogues.
  4. May 15, 2012
    Once your past the initial server issues the game runs very well even with alot going on, graphics are pretty good, not hardcore diablo2 player but this quite good, alot kiddys are upset with day of release server issues every game has.
  5. May 19, 2012
    Pros: Diabloness; Replayability; Sweet sound and music; Good level design; Looooooooot

Cons: Very shallow level of player customization (you customize with gear which is generally a product of luck+number of hours played, you customize with limited skill selection... but a whole customization angle, stat point allocation, is done automatically - a little hand-holdy for my liking and rules out some player decisions and custom builds); The dark gritty look of Diablo which was appealing to so many many has been replaced with a rather cutesy graphical style that moves the overall look somewhere between Torchlight's very cartoony style and Kingdom of Amalur's pastel tones - overall it looks a lot like Dungeon Siege 3 graphically... for a game intended to be a descent into hellish landscapes of the Diablo universe, they've adopted far too cute a graphical style for this old Diablo 1 and 2 player, and they needed to consider their market here.... not 10 year olds with that certificate, game world, and likely fan base; The "oh god please why did you do that" online requirement. THIS is why so many user reviews on metacritic range between 0 and 5. The game REQUIRES that you play permanently logged into battlenet servers... yes, even single player. Couple that with the inevitable server congestion particularly in the first few days and you get a game that you cannot play when you want to. And the thing that irritates the most is the rationale for Blizzard doing so. Wait, it's so you can play multiplayer and chat to people and have online achievements and trade gear with others and reduce the chance of in-game cheating isn't it? No, it blatantly isn't. Because those could be accomplished in multiple ways that didn't fundamentally require that every moment you played as a single player was done online. I get achievements in offline steam games that purely upload stats after sessions or at the next online opportunity. I get to play multiplayer in numerous single player games by selecting multiplayer options. If I want online chat I can go online, same for trading and other features. This leaves exposed the real reason our game (or our game licence as the EULA so dramatically reminds us) is fully tied to battlenet servers and is forced to be played online: as a misguided and failed anti-piracy measure. Misguided and failed for the simple reasons that pirates will be played a cracked version that doesn't require being online at all, and crucually, will be doing so WHILE PAYING CUSTOMERS CANNOT. When battlenet is down and we can't use the software we payed for, the pirates won't be affected. This type of anti-piracy measure only hurts real customers, game pirates work around the measure and avoid the negative consequences of the measure (i.e. server congestions and downtimes). It's a popular move in some game companies (EA love it). These companies need to know how much their customers hate it, how easy it is for the pirates to circumvent it, and how it ultimately ends up hitting the real paying customers and not the intended targets. They spend money that could be invested into the actual game on groups of self-aggrandizing security teams that have sold them a lie, the lie that by taking this path they will reduce piracy - it's **** It doesn't do that at all. It... just... hassles... and... demonizes... your... paying.... customers. End rant.

Difficulty levels. Normal is WAY TOO EASY. Yes I know it's meant to be accessible, and there are way harder difficulty levels in wait for those completing the story on normal. But many gamers don't like to splurge all the way through with zero challenge before they unlock a challenge. A game should challenge the player the first time it is played through too. By all means have an easy mode for weaker players, cater to all levels of ability to ensure a challenge appropriate to skill... but don't force skilled gamers to play all the way through the whole experience BEFORE they can play a game that challenges them (by which time they've less incentive to play, albeit mitigated by the game's decent level of replayability). Here's how I would have done it (though I'm no expert): make normal way harder, to the point when a typical gamer will die many times throughout; have an easy difficulty level for those that are more casual gamers or the squeamish that cry too much when they die a lot; have one difficulty level above normal available from the outset for the tough gamers that want it; then have your other much harder difficulty levels unlock as they do. Simplez. All players catered for, no requirement that pro gamers go for a long walk in a heavily spoilered park without a feeling of challenge.

Overall, an enjoyable game with many of the aspects present necessary to give players their loot-hunting Diablo goodness, but one marred with a crappy anti-piracy measure and some watered down ****
  6. May 15, 2012
    All those people that blame Diablo 3 are nerds. Diablo 3 is good. yeah, graphics looks alike middle of 2000's but gameplay remains the same. No manual customization of skills? Pfff, it is not needed at all. Just play and have fun.
  7. May 15, 2012
    I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway,I'm a huge Diablo 1 fan, and was quite disapointed by Diablo 2. It was quite good, but there was some fun missing. And I can feel the same with this new one, even if it's slightly better frome this perspective. The huge problem of the game is the character customization. There is none ! So you don't feel like playing and Action-RPG, but just an Action game. I will continue playing anyway, if the servers go up again at some point... Expand
  8. May 15, 2012
    I honestly can't believe how completely bad this is. It's probably mostly just all of the hype that I had for it, but this doesn't live up to D2 in any way, shape, or form. Am I rating it especially low due to my broken expectations? Probably. But oh well.
  9. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!"Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!" moment, which is a huge plus. Cons: The need to be connected to the internet to play is big downside of this game is a big downside. It wasn't something I knew about until just before I purchased it, and by then it was too late to curb my New Game Lust. When I'm at home, it won't be an issue, but I bought a new laptop just for this game, so I could take it with me on trips and such. That appears to have been a waste of money. As for the game itself, I am a bit disappointed in the skill leveling system. In the previous Diablo game, you earned skill points which you could invest in the skills you wanted. It resulted in highly individualised characters, which was a big draw of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 seems to give every character the same abilities as every other character of that class. At any time you can just change which abilities you have equipped and you'll be exactly the same as the next Barbarian or Witch Doctor. This is an aspect that severly HURTS replayability of this game.

On the whole, it's still Diablo, a game I've loved since I was in High School. It just seems like a step down from Diablo 2. Maybe someday they'll come out with a Diablo 2.5, with updated graphics and a new character class or something (and no weird online-only DRM). Until then, this will have to do.
  10. May 20, 2012
    After finally being able to reliably log into this game, I feel I can write a more comprehensive review.

Graphics The graphics for Diablo 3 are still somewhat lacking by today's standards. I know there are some strong opinions on this and we all know that Blizzard tries to make the graphics as universal across computers as possible. Nonetheless, I can't say the graphical upgrade between

Graphics
    The graphics for Diablo 3 are still somewhat lacking by today's standards. I know there are some strong opinions on this and we all know that Blizzard tries to make the graphics as universal across computers as possible. Nonetheless, I can't say the graphical upgrade between Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 is significant, but it is definitely acceptable.

Gameplay
    The game is incredibly responsive which is extremely important given what the game throws at you in the later acts. With masses of monsters swarming over you, it is a good thing that the game makes it so easy to react in a timely manner. There is one tiny caveat however... there is a slight delay, maybe half a second, when switching between left to right click abilities with the wizard. This was very noticeable when I switched from electrocute to disintegrate. It got annoying after a while. I haven't noticed this problem with any other class, however.

Story
    What can be said? The voice acting can be bad. The story meanders about and seems to be scared that you will notice it. The game tries to cover up the story with hidden books which gives lore on the world, but very little context about the struggle between heaven and hell. There always seems to be some "secret" item to solve any and all ills in the world, and of course we must find it. The story seems to be recycle from the previous diablo games and you will meet many many many of the same enemies. It gives a sour taste of deja vu when you feel like saying, "Didn't I kill you in the past?". A lack of creativity here.

Sound/Music
    The music is phenomenal and maybe one of the best parts of the game. There is some reuse (good old original Tristram music) which I felt was a good nod to the original game. All of the music and sound effects added good feeling to the dungeon crawling.

Replayability
    This is a tough one to answer for me. The replayability is both limited and vast. If you enjoy running through the same acts over and over again on increasing difficulty levels, then it has a huge amount waiting for you. If you are content with finishing the game with each character then there is a lot there as well. If you are playing for only the story, you will be done in 20ish hours.

Summary
    Diablo 3 is a good dungeon crawler, but it lacks the polish and diversity of the previous installments. There is a limit on the customization of the characters, despite what has been sold by Blizzard. Yes, I was a gem crafter and played with sockets. The system for changing your stats is a bit clunky, and for me there was a nonexistent feel of my character gaining strength by my guiding hand. The evolution of my character was less under my control and more up the game on what gear I found. Is the game worth playing? Absolutely, you shouldn't miss it. It is worth $60? No... wait until it goes down. Battlenet will still be here and you will have paid less.
  11. May 18, 2012
    Alright, protest period over, I'm revising my review from a 1 to a 7. The game itself is spectacular; have not had this much fun in a long time. Specifically, the revamped skill system leads to an incredibly free experience in building exactly the character you want because *everything* is viable. You're free to experiment and come up with clever combinations to your heart's contentAlright, protest period over, I'm revising my review from a 1 to a 7. The game itself is spectacular; have not had this much fun in a long time. Specifically, the revamped skill system leads to an incredibly free experience in building exactly the character you want because *everything* is viable. You're free to experiment and come up with clever combinations to your heart's content without risking a failure to min/max. On the basis of the game alone I'd give it a 9.

That said, the always-on DRM is an extremely poor design choice just to support the real money auction house. The game loses 2 points for that. It should probably lose 3, but I'm having so much fun it's hard to really bring it below a "positive" score. When server issues raise their head though, it is horrendous
  12. May 15, 2012
    The game is fun, and the crafting systems is deeper than before, but required connection to battle.net has made the game almost unplayable for the first 18 hours of launch. DRM is ruining games and this is a prime example of why.
  13. May 16, 2012
    Game looks great from what I have seen of it. Server troubles and random disconnects keep alot of us from seeing too much but I think it's getting better
  14. Dec 5, 2013
    Try not to compare it to Diablo 2 and you might actually have fun playing it. Its fun to slay large amounts of monsters while making your character super powerful.
  15. Aug 29, 2012
    About my last review of this game, I did not mean to score it 10. I think around 6 or 7 would be more appropriate, it's a good game, it just doesn't live up to the hype of Diablo 2. Look for Torchlight 2.
  16. May 15, 2012
    Whilst obviously dumbed down and geared toward a bigger audience than solely Diablo fans, the game is an enjoyable dungeon crawler.

If you're a hardcore D2 player, you are going to dislike this game because of all the removed features present in d2 and lack of complete control over what skill points go into what. PVP no longer takes place in the campaign world, but rather in an arena similar to WoW.

If you're new to the Diablo series you're going to like this game, for it is not confusing or overly complicated (not saying d2 was, which its not. It is however more complicated compared to d3 [not saying that's better, which it isn't]).

Personally, I find it sad that the game didn't retain the dark and gritty style that was present in the first two Diablo games. It looks more like a gory Warcraft game than a Diablo game.
  17. Jun 13, 2012
    Fun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'mFun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'm pushing my monk to ACT III Inferno with 5 stacks of NV dropped it another 2 to 5. They really messed this title up Expand
  18. May 16, 2012
    Good : - Same old gameplay we know and love, evolved to fit in the new generation
    - The pacing feels just right, the story & dialog doesnâ
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    With the last patches Diablo III is now a better game. Still far from old Diablo but at least you can avoid RMAH... Good Atmosphere (except some wird manganized boss, like the butcher, and other minor things), very good weapons impact feedback, a little too short, especially in the end.
  20. May 16, 2012
    Actually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined theirActually reviewing the game rather than the DRM/server issues, this is a pretty damn good piece of work. It's not a classic, but it provides the classic Diablo style, Rogue-inspired gameplay, with very good audio work and a great art style. To all the people complaining about the graphics being out of date, it is entirely Blizzard's intention it look like this. Many games have ruined their sequels by trying to update to more "modern" graphics, AoE2 to AoE3 for example, Dungeon Keeper to DK2, or Mech Commander to MC2. And at the end of the day, gameplay > graphics. Enough said.

Personally I think the game looks great, and reflects the rest of Blizzard's stylised persona. The story is good, if not entralling, and the characters are great. Character development isn't fantastic, it's very stream-lined and could perhaps be deemed dumbed down. You have 6 skill slots with multiple options and glyphs, the first 2 being your clicking options, and the next four being keyboard 1-4. It would be nice if there was an option to flick between 2 premade sets for different situations, especially in multiplayer where you cannot pause.

I haven't tried all the features yet, but after finally getting past several error codes yesterday, 2 friends and I had a little bash through some of Act 1. It's pretty fun, and when it works, it works smoothly. The game does seem rather easy though, and I think hardcore will be the way to go for most gamers, though boss-fights are gonna be scary!

This isn't Diablo 2, and it isn't a piece of art. DRM and server issues aside though, it's a pretty enjoyable game.

PS, to those who struggled to get on, I found the servers became busiest at around 3.30pm, gives you a hint about those who have been raging below!
  21. May 16, 2012
    Played trough the act I only, yet. The reason I don't give this game a 10 is because of connectivity issues. While I was able to play this game, I had faced lag and difficulty to log in often.
    But lets keep things in perspective. The game is true to the other diablo games. It is dark in tone, and the game-play is very good. The customization of your character is present, visually(you can change color of your armor, make it disappear) and systematically, with the runes and the fact that changing the current active ability during combat its very complicated.
    It is a good game, great art, nice graphics( people who are expecting FPS type of graphics dont understand much about gaming), and the story, so far, has being good, for a hack n slash game.
  22. May 16, 2012
    You are a all a bunch of whiny little kids. This is what happens when Blizzard makes a beta for a weekend and they don't let the more people know that there's a beta going on and they're testing servers.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Hahaha so many babies whining about not being able to log in, haven't really had any problems myself, the game is awesome, doesn't listen to these retards, go buy it!
  24. May 16, 2012
    First of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into theFirst of all, I would say that the launch of the game has been a disaster. Millions of happy nerds got their game client installed and battlenet monikers established ahead of time only to become apart of an unintentional denial of service attack on the Blizzard D3 servers. That being said, I am not reviewing their poor choice of release scheduling. I have played about 4 hours into the game. Playing on normal because I am new to Diablo. I have been pleased with the quality of game play, the cut scenes, story line, character development, and voice acting. I don't see about the game or the system that qualifies as a revolutionary change as far as MMO's are concerned, and it seems that it sticks pretty closely to the style and mechanics of the previous Diablo games. I am not disappointed by this because I don't think their need to fix what isn't broken. I haven't been challenged by the game yet, which is due largely to playing on normal, but I expect to find a challenge at higher difficulties. Personally I would like to have more control over the development of my character's stats beyond choosing which runes or skills to use. As far as I can tell, there isn't a difference between my level 9 monk and someone else's level 9 monk. Then again I have only a played a short while, so maybe there will be some customization choices at some point beyond gear. The crafting mechanic seem fun and rewarding thus far. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have not used the auction system yet. I am not sure if I approve of charging real money to use the system. Starcraft 2 doesn't leach money out of me, so why does Diablo III need such a system? I understand their need to prevent cheating and fraud, but I think their should be a better way. I have confidence that the server issues will be resolved sooner rather than later, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see expansion packs similar to the WoW universe in the future. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My current score of 7 for this game should tell you that I am having fun and that I will be playing it for many hours, but that the game isn't spectacularly revolutionary or graphically overwhelming. It is a solid, fun game. I find it to be really kinda relaxing to play. Cooperative play is a plus. The server issues will get fixed, but don't help the score. Unless the ending pulls a ME3 or I find that I have to pay for something that I shouldn't, the score won't dip any further.
  25. May 16, 2012
    I love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain isI love how almost every negative vote is a raging kid whining about the login problems. I had issues by myself no doubt, but I think there is no need to vote the game down whatsoever. Its a marvelous game nevertheless and the fact that they were problems at the beginning will fade away from the memories of the gamers in the next few weeks and the only thing that will be remain is enthusiasm. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the fact that you aren't able to quick change the skills and I hope they will change that. And about the auction house. I don't care about it. If people are willing to buy items for real money - their deal and not mine.
    And last but not least the contious necessity to be online. I had a few issues beeing thrown into the main menu because D3 hadn't had no internet connection.
  26. May 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real moneyDiablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real money auction house is an interesting idea, I can't see enough people using it to really warrant this.
    If you enjoy action RPGs and don't mind this sort of incontinence, get Diablo 3. Otherwise, wait for Torchlight 2.
  27. May 16, 2012
    Forget it's called Diablo 3. Think of it as Gauntlet Legends: Diablo Edition. Then it's fun because it is an action adventure arcade game with 4 player support !
  28. May 16, 2012
    A disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge overA disappointing ending to one of the greatest hack and slash titles of all time. Poor story, very predictable characters with generic RPG twists and turns. Gameplay is fun; it is a good hack and slash, lots of action, items and hours of fun. Character customisation is gone, you cannot assign stats or follow a different skill build to make your character unique or to get a certain edge over other players. There is no reason to get that edge since there is not PVP, instead in one of the future releases they are going to create an arena. Overall if you are new to diablo series feel free to buy this title as its a fun hack and slash. If you played previous Diabloâ Expand
  29. May 28, 2012
    After actually being able to play the game, I am now rereviewing it. The game is pretty fun, the loot system very well done. Combat is enjoyable, as is exporation. The addition of random dungoes and random mini-quests is quite entertaining and boosts replay value.

A couple of points have been subtracted for the Always On DRM, and the inability to distribute attribute points manually.

Overall I'd recommend it, but Blizzard *really* needs to get away from the auto-point distributing.
  30. May 25, 2012
    I previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into aI previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into a group of enemies on hell or inferno, even if you have good gear you will get destroyed.

Graphics are slightly outdated but the gameplay is smooth and fluid, while it isnt one hundred percent like diablo 2 I can say it has entertained me when diablo 2 became stale after six years, and it entertained me for the first week for around 86 hours, if it were not for a blizzard management technicality and flawed system it would have probably entertained me for more.

The first one is easy to understand, the second one you gotta really look at it from a pov of someone who has received threats in blizzard products with your real name attached...

The first issue is, due to the rl auction house, the amount of accounts getting hacked is extremely high, and they can only do a total of 2 character rollbacks... per account... This is a massive issue since the rl auction house being in game really makes it easier for real money traders (rmts) to expedite the process allowing them greater ease to hack into an account. On top of this there is, apparently, a security leak on blizzards side, as well.

This is a customer service related issue, a technicality really but it results in a permanently locked account along with other management issues made by blizzard. I never give my real name out to people, I always use a pen name. Problem is, Back in the wow glory days of vanilla when the game was good I received death threats from some of the players in the game, some of which were able to look my name up and send some mail via the postal system with death threats as well...

Well when your account gets hacked you gotta submit a photocopy of your driver license, birth certificate (if a minor) etc, cant just give them the last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase the item. But whatever, I had no trojans, no viruses, no worms, and no spyware/adware on my computer, checked with 3 different virus scanners. On top of this I never entered my information into the login page unless I logged into the diablo 3 site, itself, making sure I manually type the address bar. My account is now in limbo since due to previous death threats I received on a previous account I didn't want people to know my real name, technicality got my account permanently locked and unable to restore it. Of course since blizzard loves to post your real name on rl friend chat which makes it easier to communicate cross game... Well you see what im saying...

Either way, fantastic game, 8 out of 10 without blizzard management related issues, I don't even care about being able to connect on the first month of the game, honestly, I care that I cannot connect in the future since blizzard loves to give away my private information... Unfortunately, due to this over site on blizzards part, 7 out of 10.
  31. May 16, 2012
    I think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gearI think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gear colors, the upcoming arena pvp, etc. I am just surprised you can't be a Panda in this... Expand
  32. May 16, 2012
    Nice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilizeNice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilize it. At least they should revamp the runes to be applied automatically based on lvl up and to inherit the benefits for each instead of having like 8 or so runes to choose from.
    I am content with the visuals in the game. I just hope they have built into the engine support for larger resolutions than the 1920x1080 my monitor supports. Unlike Diablo2 that is limited in it's resolution. There are a few instances where the viewing angle dosen't quite do a proper job, but for most of the game I don't have a problem with it.
    I don't like the music in game, while that is a subjective topic, I miss some more grand tunes in the game.
    I find the gameplay smooth (apart from the skills), but I miss the ability to put down my attribute points. On the other hand if it gets to the same uselessnes as in D2LoD (just stacking in 2, and no I'm not a good D2 player) I don't mind the way they have done it. The difficulty in the game is more balanced than what I experienced in D2. I find it a good thing that you don't get a nightmare act1 you can nearly just run though as opposed to D2.

If you take into account Blizzards understatement of ppl that wanted to play, the rating would be more like '2' but I'm not basing my score on that.4283 of 5000 characters remaining. Though Blizzard should give all launchday players something for their troubles signing in. Wasen't World of Warcraft: Cataclysm enough, like the other WoW expansions that launchday needs more capacity to support the players? As I couldn't sign in to D3, I also didn't have access to SC2 or WoW as the Battle.net log in server was down.
    Check box if your review contains spoilers
  33. May 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is trully a very good game. The graphic is really eyecatching, but will not suit everyone because of the artistic choice.
    The Gameplay is well thought, there is enough perks to be interessting and no too much so it is too complicated for people with no hack/slash experience.
    Each time I log off, I want to come back and go further in this game! Well done Blizzard! However the fact

However the fact that I have to go online to play solo mode is really annoying!!!!!
    Besides the Demon hunter Bug's interefer with my gaming experience.

This game could have been rated 9 but I withdraw 2 points for the deterioration of the gaming experience and the online connection.
  34. May 17, 2012
    I am what others would call an "old stager", playing games since the late 80's and seeing how games progressed since then. I loved all the predecessors of Diablo 3, and in my opinion I must say: Diablo 3 is a game of the modern and it's *good*. Your experience heavily depends on what you have been expecting from Blizzard, and when you started playing games.

For me Diablo was always a game

For me Diablo was always a game where I didn't need any kind of well-thought story, or classic RPG depth you know from hardcore games like Wizardry, Ultima or the early franchises from Bioware. Just hacking through hordes of enemies and feeling happy about any new cool item drops, that's all I ever needed in this game. So there was no letdown while playing Diablo 3, that's what it is and what it was intended to be.

On the other hand, if you are looking for such things, don't buy this game, you will be heavily disapointed. The story is rather secondary and I personally wouldn't call this game any kind of RPG whatsoever, as there is no way to customize your character at all - not even attributes or skills. The latter are unlocked as you progress through the game and can be chosen/switched freely during the game.

The game definitely has a "World Of Warcraft" feel to it in all the mechanics presented. Especially the skills would blend in nicely with the assets of a WoW class in the way they are implemented.

Multiplayer was realized very nicely. All the fights over rare items or gold I even had with close friends in Diablo 1 and 2 are gone. Every character sees his own drops and can never steal anything right under his teammates noses after a fight. Right on the contrary, I feel encouraged to let go of a special item to a party member that is in more need of it than I am more easily. Technically: Joining another friends session is as simple and easy as it could possibly be, by "dropping" into another players single player game with a single click from the main menu.

One big complaint I have is the constant need of an internet connection to the Battle.net servers, even if you are only interested in a single player adventure. I don't necessarily critic the connection problems after release that have struck me as well (so gaming was not possible at all) as they are just natural for an online game at the beginning, but rather the fact in itself. Being bound to a companies infrastructure and trust, I don't feel comfortable with. But that's more a moral aspect that may not be understood by younger gamers.

To summarize: As mentioned in my introduction, I find Diablo 3 a *good* game, providing lots of fun hours slashing the hordes of hell and waiting for the next valuable item to drop. Especially in multiplayer this game excels. On the other hand, one might think of the over-simplified character system and story line of a big failure - and I agree. As said before, this heavily depends on your expectations.

On a personal note: If Diablo 3 is a let down to you, don't expect things to get any better in the industry though. This is the modern world and things have changed since back then. I personally would wish otherwise, but I've lost hope a long time ago.
  35. May 17, 2012
    I'll give 1 point to each 6 minutes of continuous gameplay I could take, so I may be able to write a real review for the game... If even IGN can't write theirs, how would I????
  36. May 17, 2012
    All the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what weAll the years of waiting - not getting into the Beta - finally getting my hands on the game and... well, it just falls short of my expectations. It's not a BAD game, but it's not great either, and it's two predecessors were GREAT games. The graphics are reasonably good, but not earth shattering. Special powers and abilities are a bit easier to use, but my biggest complaint is what we had to give up to get that streamlined interface - a complete lack of character customizability. Every barbarian is going to have the same skills and powers as every other barbarian; every demon hunter is going to have the same skills and powers as every other demon hunter, and so on. The ONLY way to differentiate characters at this point is through gear - hence the emphasis on artisans and paying real money for good gear. At the end of the day, Bizzard shanked this one worse than BioWare did with Dragon Age II. Expand
  37. May 17, 2012
    Diablo II was my all time favourite game. III? Somethings I like better than II, somethings not as much. Overall, I like II a little better. So, if II gets a 10, I would have to give III a 9. Subtract 2 points for the server issues. I don't care if it's online only or not, so long as the servers are up and running when I want to play.
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a
    If you have not already bought the game, wait a week and then buy with confidence. It's very enjoyable, full of neat surprises plays smoothly (when the servers are up of course).
  38. May 17, 2012
    Ben playing it for 9 hours now and is on Act 3 now, and I have to say that I really like this game and also hate it in some regards. The game itself is fine, but when it comes to the "always online" system then it fails. Lets say you have a bad internet connection, then you will start to have small problems when it comes to lag.. Anway 7/10
  39. May 17, 2012
    A fun game, but extremely repetitive and the "always on" DRM feature is extremely frustrating when you constantly get "Error 3007" and Blizzard claims it is your problem, when you never DC from WoW or SC2. What a joke.
  40. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good game. Expand
  41. May 18, 2012
    This game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me comingThis game is brilliant in terms of how fun it is to play. Other reviews cite that it is too "casual" but all Blizzard have done is get rid of a feww annoying features that made me give up the orginal Diablo. The pacing works far better now that boss battles aren't just about drinking a health potion at the right time. The auction house is an inventive new feature which will keep me coming back for a long time. The one bad thing I would say is that you have to be constantly connected to the internet which is annoying for single player enthusiasts. Otherwise, a brilliant game. Still stays ahead compared to a lot of other ARPG's apart from possibly Grim Dawn. Expand
  42. Apr 6, 2014
    Revising my overly positive old review. Great combat. Terrible items. Makes for a very underwhelming ARPG. RoS has fixed a lot of problems, but man oh man, this one will go down in history as the roughest release Blizz has ever seen, that is for certain.
  43. May 18, 2012
    First the bad, then the good...

First the bad, then the good...

Connectivity issues, as others have noticed, do occasionally interrupt gameplay. Stuttering during single player left me somewhat perplexed, since I was playing single player. On one occasion I was disconnected from the server with the only explantion being, "The server will shut-down in 4 minutes." I think a more detailed explanation could be given, perhaps the employees at Blizzard could work on that. After the forced log-out I immediately logged back in and found all my progress on that level had been lost and I was inserted back at the beginning of the zone. That is obviously unacceptable. A proper game should always save your progress in the year 2012, pretty much any online game does this including Blizzards own Warcraft. -1 point.

Companions return, yet are slightly dumbed down. You can choose their jewelry and weapons but that is it- no options to equip them with armour which is a shame given the wide-selection of armour and the crafting possibilites. In my opinion... absolutely shameful given the amount of time and development Blizzard put into this game, especially since Diablo 2 had already incorporated armour with companions. This ommision leaves me rather perplexed at Blizzard. Additionally, companions repeat their speech patterns multiple times, resulting in strange repeated conversations. -1 point.

Another perplexing aspect of the game: the bank, player gold, and crafting equipment level is shared amongst all of your characters. The bank no longer has a shared section, it is simply omitted. Everyone simply has everything. Now, this is a vast change from Diablo 2, since each new character you created had to be built from the ground up. It was at your option to share gear and gold through the shared bank which made the game more realistic. In Diablo 3, your top-level toon could upgrade all of the bank slots, crafting gear, and puts 100's of components for crafting gear into the bank, and by default your lvl 10 toon has full access to everything. All in all, I find this improper and completely unrealistic. -1 point.

Now for the good: Diablo veterans will have no problems starting the game without reading the game manual. Hard-copy purchasers will need an internet connection to download a game patch (it took me about 5 minutes to download with a 1MB/sec connection), as well as play the game in any form since game progress is saved on Battlenet servers. HDTV users should have no problems, as the game detected the appropriate resolution for my wide-screen 720p television, which is probably one of the more unorthodox resolutions for a game to render.

Players can have up to 6 different abilities ready to cast at a moments notice. While that is nothing new in modern gaming, is does allow for more advanced combat compared to previous Diablo games. Environments are now destructable to include doors, chairs, and containers. When objects and enemies are destroyed they will show battle damage from the type of weapon that struck them- electricity fries, fire burns, slashing weapons slice and decapitate, etc.

The crafting system is an interesting way to get above-average magic armour and weapons, and is a useful addition.

Actual gameplay is very fun and exciting at times. The music and sound effects are great, some of the FMV's are so-so but the major plot advancing ones are very good. I found the plot a little bit better than Diablo 2, but it was a little predictable.

Which leaves me at a score of 7. Otherwise, this is an fun and addicting game, but for some reason Blizzard made some obviously silly ommisions and changes which made the game less realistic and more annoying than it needed to be.
  44. May 19, 2012
    I feel that the majority of negative user reviews are saturated with bitterness over several technical issues that have little to do with the game itself. These technical issues, while bothersome, should be attributed to Blizzard and not Diablo III itself. It is an enjoyable game to play if you like killing things in multiple ways. My main criticisms are the lack of offline mode, and theI feel that the majority of negative user reviews are saturated with bitterness over several technical issues that have little to do with the game itself. These technical issues, while bothersome, should be attributed to Blizzard and not Diablo III itself. It is an enjoyable game to play if you like killing things in multiple ways. My main criticisms are the lack of offline mode, and the lack of freedom involved in getting new skills. The latter becomes irrelevant later on, and gives you actually more freedom to experiment with multiple playstyles, but the former is going to bother me for a while. In the end, I enjoyed myself while playing it so despite a few shortcomings I give it 7/10 Expand
  45. May 19, 2012
    I've read through almost everyone's comments and personal reviews of the game. For people who are looking for a more "diplomatic" type of view and the good side of the Diablo game should visit http://imprettygood.com/ where the IPG- team consists of a group of enthusiastic gamers from Sweden who frequently play indie- and big shot games and publish reviews of them. Not the angry bashingI've read through almost everyone's comments and personal reviews of the game. For people who are looking for a more "diplomatic" type of view and the good side of the Diablo game should visit http://imprettygood.com/ where the IPG- team consists of a group of enthusiastic gamers from Sweden who frequently play indie- and big shot games and publish reviews of them. Not the angry bashing the keyboard and condeming type of critics, we provide a wider point of view both good and bad. Expand
  46. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so I'm writing a second review, as i've had time to really digest the game better, and the nostalgia cloud, that had surrounded my perception of the game has dissipated. Overall this is a solid hack and slash game. It is jolly good fun, but, taken as a whole it lacks any real inspiration. Story-wise, There are a couple moments that are awesome...like when Tyrael falls to earth, there is an operatic beauty to it. And his faith in humanity and decision to ditch the angel-wings recalls one of my favorite films: "Wings of Desire". Beyond these few moments, and the rather well done boss battles, There is very little, thematically, to feed the imagination. The rest of the story is filled with cheesy pop-pulp tripe. I can appreciate the design decision to flesh out the main heroes a bit more, but separate origin stories and hero cinematics seem unnecessary, and goes a long way in murdering the memory of the mystique and enigmatic qualities of the series' previous iterations. The graphical style is cartoony, and the heroes have gone from being plain old badasses (d1 and d2) to frickin' superhero demi-gods..The environments are pretty, and gloomy, But never haunting and gritty like D1 and D2. I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how gorey or how much fog you add, gothic horror has not been accomplished in this one. To be fair, the classes and their various assorted skills/runes are imaginative and fun. Combat is satisfying. the artists over at blizzard have done a great job on the world. It's just a shame for the diablo universe that the 3rds design direction compass was pointed so rigidly to cartoon land. Taken out of context the game itself is a good game. I've enjoyed playing it immensely,. Co-op is especially well implemented, and I look forward to more adventures with my friends.. But it is sad to see dreams of a worthy sequel go out the window. This is a solid Diablo clone game. But it is does not deserve the mantle of Sequel..It takes no risks. Tragically, There is little remaining of the heart of the first 2. And those shards have been glossed over so thoroughly with World of Warcraft sensibilities that you can scare detect their presence. Expand
  47. May 19, 2012
    Graphics: Good models with nice textures and shadows, spells and attacks all look very nice. Aesthetic: Wonderful art work and varied level design look superb.
    Gameplay: A bit repetitive but with enough variety and length to keep you playing for a long time.
    Mechanics: The classes are very different and the spells have a good variety, killing enemies is fun and everything feels natural and smooth. I haven't had this much fun in a long time, if there were an offline mode I think this game would be perfect.
  48. May 20, 2012
    its a good game overall, but for the time its take to finally get here its is quite a disappointment, was expecting so much more but had an inkling the overall content would be like it is due to playing the beta and seein the flaws before release
  49. May 20, 2012
    Just to get it of thigns to mention: Blizzard didn't really manage to do anything right while designing the servers. There down, maintenance ongoing, lost in warp or just corrupted by the Chaos Gods. Take your pick and wait.

Meh. But sure, why not? There are quite a few things borken in it though. And I do mean "borken". Normal magic stuff is more powerful than legendary, classes badly miss matched, bosses easy, some elites unbelievable, no sense of leveling, music isn't what it was in D2. Plot isn't worth mentioning. Actually the music is very bad at points and ok-ish at others...

On the other side. It's got ok graphics - too bright, but ok. It's got interesting places (which would require better music though).
  50. May 20, 2012
    Its basically a mix of Diablo I, WoW Graphics and a painful online DRM. The story is simple and flat and the game mechanics are tailored to fit the needs of casual gamers. There are no Innovations in the game, it feels like Blizzard avoided every new idea, living in fear that it may fail. The characters, the story and the artwork were made to appeal to every possible audience (Diablo seemsIts basically a mix of Diablo I, WoW Graphics and a painful online DRM. The story is simple and flat and the game mechanics are tailored to fit the needs of casual gamers. There are no Innovations in the game, it feels like Blizzard avoided every new idea, living in fear that it may fail. The characters, the story and the artwork were made to appeal to every possible audience (Diablo seems to be a female, the mages look like asians, barbarians like europeans and one of the main characters (an angel) is black, seriously Blizzard, wtf ?). To sum it up, i got the feeling that Blizzard sold his soul in order to make as much money with this game as possible. Besides all of the above, the game is a very well made hack and slay game which is quite fun (if u get to play it -> online DRM), but its not the usual outstanding Bilzzard quality... Expand
  51. May 20, 2012
    I don't like the way that you now get what you get when you level up, rather than having actual choices and I am not happy with having to be on the internet at all times to play, because my internet connection is unreliable. But over all I am enjoying the game.
  52. May 20, 2012
    When I first started I was having a few problems figuring out out the game play and having a hard time advancing. After many hours of playing and studying the game I was able to figure things out and advance. Going to diablo3max.info was of great help to me, this helps on many levels. If you are having problems with this game, then I would recommend you use the help too. Diablo3max.infoWhen I first started I was having a few problems figuring out out the game play and having a hard time advancing. After many hours of playing and studying the game I was able to figure things out and advance. Going to diablo3max.info was of great help to me, this helps on many levels. If you are having problems with this game, then I would recommend you use the help too. Diablo3max.info did wonders for me. Expand
  53. May 20, 2012
    Diablo III should meet your expectations if you're already a fan of the series, but it does have obvious failures. Having to log in to battle.net to play a single player game is stupid. This is not an MMO. It makes no sense that they make the game low-res enough to run on Windows XP from 2001 because they want everyone to be able to play, but then assume everyone has broadband.Diablo III should meet your expectations if you're already a fan of the series, but it does have obvious failures. Having to log in to battle.net to play a single player game is stupid. This is not an MMO. It makes no sense that they make the game low-res enough to run on Windows XP from 2001 because they want everyone to be able to play, but then assume everyone has broadband. Outside of California the internet has dead zones, and there are times you just want to forget online exists and immerse yourself in a single player dungeon crawler of which Diablo used to be king of. The streamlined gameplay is fun, and the art direction is good, but it's missing the gloss of being a 2012 release. The locations are varied, but you never get to grind out one hardcore dungeon like in the first one. I miss the format of the original Diablo, but this is still a good game and has potential to improve with new content. Expand
  54. May 21, 2012
    Diablo III is a good game but not like Diablo II, though it still have the "Diablo gameplay". The skill system is less customizable and the strength of the character is determined by the weapons because you cant change your stats after your needs. The storyline is not that bad though the landscape is not nearly as randomized as in Diablo II, which is a little disappointing since you haveDiablo III is a good game but not like Diablo II, though it still have the "Diablo gameplay". The skill system is less customizable and the strength of the character is determined by the weapons because you cant change your stats after your needs. The storyline is not that bad though the landscape is not nearly as randomized as in Diablo II, which is a little disappointing since you have to play the storyline 4 times for each character. It would have been a huge improvement for Diablo III if it had an offline mode. Expand
  55. May 21, 2012
    Is D3 a good game? Yes, in most aspect it is a really good and enjoyable game. However this game was not made by the Diablo 2 team, they left Blizzard a long time ago. And whats worse is Activisions medling with Blizzard. I blame the whole DRM problems on Activision!

Blizzard! Please, you dont need Activision! Kick them out ASAP! You dont need thier help in any way, they are just bringing you down!

I support removing the LAN support to force people to play online, I can give you that, but not being able to even start up the game, no not even INSTALL the game without a connection is so retarded it's sad!

It feels like this game was made by blizzard WOW devs who had played D2 but have no idea what it was about. 1: Obviously the DRM, its horrible end of story!

2: 4 player coop? Why oh why! Make it 8 again! I have more than 3 friends I want to be able to play with at the same time! D2 had 8! Why do you go backwards? Stop using the Left 4 Dead four players model! It works for them but not here!

3: The random item stats. Sure I can buy that rare items can have random stats, its Ok for me. But set items and legendarys? NO! Immortal kings is a barbarien set! It should NEVER have the possibilty to have int on it! The item system is so random you will probably see Wizards use IK or even Barbs use Thalrasha or items like that, because the stats are 100% random.
    Sets and legendarys should have fixed stats, BUT the numbers can differ, lets say the IK chest have Str, vit and dex, and it can have 75-125 of each but its random whay number you end up with.
    This is the worst part of the game!

4: identifying items, this has no purpose at all. You can do it when you pick up the items. I can understand removing the scrolls, but as it was made its pointless! Just make the item drop identified insted! Its just busy work.

5: The lack of personalization, every single Barb or wizard will look and have the exact same stats. You have no personalization choises what so ever except from gender and name. I want to be able to put out some stats on my char, not be the exact same cookiecutter class like the rest of the players! Give us choises damn it!

Good things about the game.

1: The loot system in MP. I really like the loot system, everyone has his or her own loot so you cant "ninja" items. This is really awesome!

2: The difficulty, no need to say anything about it, it makes the game hard and enjoyable for everyone. If you cant handle Hell or inferno, then stay on nightmare.

3: The skill system, sure I would like to see more skills, it gets boring after a while. But its easy to understand and use.

Overall the good outweighs the bad, this is a really fun game, when it works. If you are a real hardcore D2 fan, this might not be the game for you. And Blizzard, this is the weekest game you have made so far! This isnt up to your standards. We expect more from you!
    And I cant stress this point enough! LEAVE ACTIVISION! The quaility of your games are declaining, and it shows that you dont need them! You have fans that loves you! If it was a money issue I belive that you could make a purly fan financed game without a problem! We love Blizzard! We hate Activison!
  56. May 21, 2012
    Summary : A beautiful game that expands on his precedors, but has some flaws some people will not enjoy.

Diablo III continues the story from Diablo II. 20 years after defeating the prime evils, new threats are closing to the world of the Sanctuary. Graphics: Let's face it. Blizzard has never made top-of-the-line graphics. You can play this game on a variety of configurations with no

Graphics:
    Let's face it. Blizzard has never made top-of-the-line graphics. You can play this game on a variety of configurations with no problems. The colour palette is definitely brighter than the other games of the series, but it does it's job. The animations and physics make you feel that you ARE in a world where death looms on every corner. Sound:
    The voice acting is hit and miss and depends on your personal preferences. Overall, there are much more lines than in the previous installments. The music is more ambiental this time, there are only a bunch of high-profile tracks in the soundtrack. It blends nicely in the background, but nothing particularly stands out.

Gameplay:
    Oh boy, here we go. There were a lot of changes during the game's development process.
    Skill trees are out. Custom stats are out. And this works for the better.

After the Normal difficulty, the game gets much harder, mobs hit harder and champion packs get more powers. The champion packs can be much, much harder than the bosses and will take you by surprise.
    This is where the freely available skill changes come in handy. You have to think what you want for the particular encounter - do I want more defensive skills? Burst? Sustained single target damage? Am I lacking mana? Should I activate a mana-return/regen rune ? This makes for a lot of combinations which make the game extremely fun.

Itemization:
    Well. It has been discussed. Stats on items are randomized. You can get horrible legendaries, you can get incredible blues. This situation can and should be improved by Blizzard.

Lag:
    Yes. The servers have problems sometime. You can have horrible, disconnecting lag. Always-online can be a nuissance and you should think if this situation bothers you or not. I feel that this could have been improved before launch, but I hope that Blizzard can get on top of their game and fix these concerning problems.

Story:
    Not spoiling anything, the story is incredibly blunt and in your face. It feels weird that I cared about the followers' stories more than the main story. There are many plot-holes and bad pacing problems. The best thing you can do here is to talk to all the main characters and try to patch in the holes.
  57. May 21, 2012
    I gave this game a solid 7. I decided to write this after reading about 50 or so bad reviews, which I feel is rather unfair. Starting off with the negatives. First, I agree that always-online DRM and lack of lan is a bad call, but they did it for Starcraft II as well and after a few months I don't really care anymore. I still hate the fact that they did that, which is why I took a pointI gave this game a solid 7. I decided to write this after reading about 50 or so bad reviews, which I feel is rather unfair. Starting off with the negatives. First, I agree that always-online DRM and lack of lan is a bad call, but they did it for Starcraft II as well and after a few months I don't really care anymore. I still hate the fact that they did that, which is why I took a point off. Second, the game is short, while d2 can be rushed through rather fast, if you play normally 6-8 hours is not enough to beat a game and explore the entire map at the same time. Took another point off for length. Third, the fact that you can have a party of 4 people. Oh sure it is the ideal squad size but I really enjoyed the large group dynamic of Diablo 2. This is dumb, having a multi-player experience but cut down on how many people can join in? Took another point off.

The good points:I enjoyed the story. It starts slow and builds up. I enjoyed the music. I enjoyed the art direction, the developers said they want it to be a moving painting and it is just that. Stop and look at your surrounding once in a while instead of rushing through content and complain that the graphics look bad. This game was build to run on almost any pc and mac, hence why the graphics are not superb ( I do run this on a high end PC). This is a great call because this is a multi-player and the larger the player base the better. I feel that most of the bad reviews are written by people who have not played through the game. Lack of point system means more customization. I have not yet been in a multi-player game where my wizard has the exact same skills as the other wizards. We shift our skills to complement each other for best effect. THIS is a lot of fun at higher difficulty.This game is not easy,.. get to inferno and try to fight champion and elite monster before complain about how easy health is. Strategy and planning is really important at that point. The lack of unique gear is an issue now? Unique gear are suppose to be rare, that makes getting it an achievement. Most people I assume played Diablo 2 years after release where good items flood the market and people just join "free" channels for gear. As for buying gear, the real money auction house hasn't even been released yet...so I am not sure how people can form an opinion about that. And items have always been sold for real money on black market, it is the same in any multi-player online games. A solid 7.
  58. May 21, 2012
    A decent game at its core and the combat is satisfying but all I can say is WHY Blizzard, WHY, is there no offline mode, why can't I play when I want, why are boss fights easier than mobs, why are rare items better than lagendaries, why when i open my game to public do i only ever get one other player when the limit is four, and the list goes on. With all these shotcommings and moreA decent game at its core and the combat is satisfying but all I can say is WHY Blizzard, WHY, is there no offline mode, why can't I play when I want, why are boss fights easier than mobs, why are rare items better than lagendaries, why when i open my game to public do i only ever get one other player when the limit is four, and the list goes on. With all these shotcommings and more anybody who rates this game 90 or above is absolutely kidding themselves. Maybe one day Blizzard will stop TELLING people how to play games and actually LISTEN to what they want. Expand
  59. May 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so after having played this for about a week, i think i've played enough to give a verdict on the game.

First of all, it's not bad, not at all, so don't listen to the people who say it's crap. Second of all, it is, in my opinion, not as good as the previous game sin the series. Why? For me it all comes down to 2 things. Story and atmosphere. The atmosphere of this game is, in my opinion, very different from the first 2 games. Yes, i know Blizzard said that if they had done it darker the monsters would have blended in too well, but if i look at Diablo 2 i had a creepy feeling that something scary or bad would happen sometimes, and in Diablo 1 i didn't even dare go more than 3 floors down due to me being a scaredycat. With this game, i didn't even think twice and basically ran headlong into battle without even thinking about th horrors that were there.

For the story, i don't really know, i guess it just comes down to me not connecting with it as much as the previous games. I think something that influenced it migh be the way they build it up. In Diablo 2, you had the cinematics that basically shows what had happened before or after The Dark Wanderer had visited a place, whereas in this game you have cinematics that follow the characters that you travel with throughout the gmae. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but in my mind, it doesn't really give an incentive as to why we should be getting rid of Belial and Azmodan, the exception being the one movie showing Azmodan. Yes of course they're the last lords of hell, but would someone mind telling me what Belial is doing in Caldeum? Because i honestly don't remember being told about it in the game. And one other thing that for me is quite essential. How do Belial and especilly Azmodan know about the black soulstone? I mena, with Belial it at least makes a bit snese because he's been hanging out in Caldeum and captured Adria, but Azmodan has been hanging out in Hell and to me, it just seems like there's no reason why he should know about the black soulstone.

Oh and this is just a very personal opinion, but i feel that Tyrael not being an angel anymore takes a lot away from his character. Is that just me?

However, the thing i can praise about this game, is that it's still as fun to kick butt as it was in the previous games. It exciting to kill mobs and pray that you get that weapon that you've looked for forever. I actually also think that the changes made to the skill system aren't all bad. I can see that it makes a lot of different builds available, but it may also take some of the fun away of building your own spec and seeing how it works. But the new system is both good and bad, seeing as almost all skills should be a viable choice, but as i said before, it also takes some of the fun out of seeing how your spec works, and it wouldn't really have been that hard to add respecs to the game as they did for Diablo 2 in a newer patch.

So this is basically my opinion about some of the main points of the game. Hope some of you agree :P
  60. May 23, 2012
    Good game with some glaring deficiencies The Good: Gameplay is very engaging. Abilities feel epic, classes seem to be well-thought out and skills are unlocked and mapped intelligently.

Graphics aren't amazing, but the art scheme works well and they are about on par with 2010 graphics. Ambience and overall music is great. Is not taxing on low end systems. The Bad: Voice

Ambience and overall music is great.

Is not taxing on low end systems.

The Bad:

Voice work is AWFUL. Not just the voice acting, but the script itself is very weak. The plot only holds value to those who have played the earlier games.

Difficulty modes have been scaled interestingly and pigeon hole the player into stacking Vitality (HP) doesn't matter what your class is. On the Nightmare mode (difficulty up from Normal) I was one-hit by the first boss, with absolutely amazing gear on. Nothing broken, but playing Demon Hunter with a damage build and if I can't avoid the attacks I die. No more flame builds where the player can torch everything down. Little reward for people who actually know the game and RPG's in general. After I realized the above fact, I turned the game off and returned to Skyrim. No replayability for me and I am a hardcore RPG fan.
  61. RHL
    May 23, 2012
    Although I've found this game extremely addicting, I can't give it higher than an 7, and for a few reasons.

1. I do not like the auction house system to begin with, but making a real money one is even worse. I think it breaks the game for people who really play it a lot. 2. There is no skill tree anymore where you can decide where to place your skill points as you level up. Automatically

2. There is no skill tree anymore where you can decide where to place your skill points as you level up. Automatically getting every skill is frustrating if you want to PVP or spec in a certain way and unless getting to level 60 is impossibly hard and therefore creates a new category of super players (I'm only level 22 at the moment), everyone is exactly the same as everyone else.

3. I'm not going to hate on the graphics, but they aren't as good as they could have been. To me they are good enough though. I'm an old school gamer and graphics don't make a game, gameplay makes a game.

However, I do happen to like the single player setup. I'm not sure why everyone hates on it, but the ability to play by myself as long as I want and then let people jump in while using the same character is nice. I'll always have my stuff and characters in the same spot. If you want to play single player, then just play by yourself. PROBLEM FIXED.
  62. May 24, 2012
    I just started playing Inferno level and I need to say that apart of normal level the game is OK. On normal level I died three times, all of them because I felt asleep. But multi even on the normal level was different story. No wonder you need to have an internet connection - there is no other way to play that game, and come on, who in times of tethering don't have an internet. However DRMI just started playing Inferno level and I need to say that apart of normal level the game is OK. On normal level I died three times, all of them because I felt asleep. But multi even on the normal level was different story. No wonder you need to have an internet connection - there is no other way to play that game, and come on, who in times of tethering don't have an internet. However DRM is not there to protect us really, my fiend had been hacked twice already. All other issues are understandable - if you making a game so looong graphic engine become pretty old so you cannot expect fireworks. Performancwise the same it was a little behind - it was overheating my Q9400 (i'm playing BF3 on max and I had never had any issues).
    I gave the 7 points only for playability, especially with friends and on higher levels of difficulty. I was afraid it will be worse than D2 (after beta I had that view). Fortunately the skills system is better than in D2 and let even casual players like me having fun (unlike D2 or starcraft2).
  63. May 24, 2012
    Diablo 3 can be considered a solid effort and a worthy addition to the series if we ignore a couple of details. The first, and most important being, the time spent in development was ridiculously long. In fact, Im sure this series was ignored for the majority of the "10 years!?!" everyone loves to harp on about.. and rightfully so. Considering the lack luster graphics and identicalDiablo 3 can be considered a solid effort and a worthy addition to the series if we ignore a couple of details. The first, and most important being, the time spent in development was ridiculously long. In fact, Im sure this series was ignored for the majority of the "10 years!?!" everyone loves to harp on about.. and rightfully so. Considering the lack luster graphics and identical gameplay/storytelling format to the preceeding Diablos, I don't think any time paradoxes would have manifested if this game had come out one or two years after diablo 2. Its not technically impressive in the least. Next we have the infuriating online play requirement. Its bad enough that when my internet goes down, unless I can flip steam into offline mode, I have no games (that I've.. you know.. paid for) that will run. And now I have a shiny new game, which classically was primarily single player, with the same online requirement. This fault by no means stands out, most games these days are doing the online required thing, I just expected something different from Blizzard. And there it is, the main problem with Diablo 3.. its not different. Blizzard has always been a game company we've expected great innovations from. No rushed release dates, its done when its done.. usually the product was worth the wait. Not this time. Diablo 3 is a carbon copy of previous diablos in almost every reguard. Potions are instant, Skill points don't exist.. thats pretty much what we waited 10 years for. Graphically, and play control wise, this Diablo feels about 8 years overdue, and it seems like that isn't lost on most people. Rather than an eventual triumph and rebirth of one of the most legendary gaming series, Blizzard has done little more than skate by with a game sorely lacking in innovation and techincal improvement. (Repost with proper metascore) Expand
  64. May 25, 2012
    Generally it's a great game but a bit disappointed as there are still many big bug like very annoying auction house and error 37 connection issues after the beta test.
  65. May 25, 2012
    Where the atmosphere of Diablo? Its dark dungeons, swamps, fields, jungles? Feeling of impending doom of this world? None... But why I still continue to kill mobs and seek the best drop? Because it is still Diablo.
  66. May 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 is entertaining and fun but fails to meet expectations of previous Diablo fans.
    Pros:
    -Fun to hack and slash and tear up large groups of enemies (What you expect from Diablo) -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game. -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the
    Pros:
    -Achievements add a small but fun element to the game.
    -Gameplay is smooth and animations such as exploding enemies is enjoyable
    -Conversations and side stories are interesting and a change of pace the first couple playthroughs

Good and bad at same time:
    -The leveling system is straight forward and does not require hours of grinding to reach the level cap.
    -No skill trees and stat point distribution allows you to focus on loot and killing but does not make your character feel unique. It gives you the flexibilty to try new builds and change your skills to work best with whatever group you play with at any given time
    -Grouping with friends and creating game is quick but doesn't allow you to make games people can look for or go back to previous difficulties and is centered solely on what quest you select which is restricted by level.
    -Requires an online connection at all times. This might be frustrating for those that only want to play single player but If it reduces hacking and duping that plagued previous Diablo games then it is welcome. Due to the very bad latency though I have already heard claims that it is possible to duplicate items.

Cons:
    -Itemization is horrendous. After hour upon hours I have yet to see any legendary or set items drop but I already have blue items with better stats and more damage than the best legendary items. Legendaries should be above average rare items with rare items having the potential to be better than legandaries with near perfect stat rolls. Blue items drop way too easy and it is very discouraging to have essentially no goal in terms of items except for finding another blue or yellow item with more of you main stat and more vitality. Many Diablo 2 players can recite nearly all of their pieces of gear by name and I don't see how that will become the case in this game.
    -The story was okay but the ending seemed very rushed and short.
    -When grouping you are unable to use your companions and companion customization/gearing provides little to no benefit except when soloing.

TLDR;

Very fun game but missing the best things that have made Diablo 2 such a huge long lasting sucess. Hopefully they are listening and will fix these things with an update or expansion similarly to what LOD did for Diablo 2.
  67. May 25, 2012
    Is it a good game? Yes. Is it good enough to cost three times as much as Torchlight -- the most recent previous competitor among this particular type of action RPG -- and three times as much as the soon-to-be-released Torchlight II? No.
  68. May 25, 2012
    I've finished the game on normal, I'm halfway through nightmare on one character and I've played all of the classes to level 20 now.

The biggest problem are the skills. Not having skill points and the limitation of the skills you put on your bar creates too many limitations. With all classes I find myself constantly wanting to swap out skills for different situations and it's not easy/fun/fast to do it. Why can't you have multiple configured preset skill bars? Why are there skills with long cool downs that I can't swap out until they finish (I understand why but, GOD it is really annoying sometimes).

It feels like you have to keep "working around" the damn skill system.

Killing groups of monsters and getting loot is pretty good. graphics, animation is good. The story and cinematic cut scenes are good.

The server play is fairly bad. There's a lot of latency even in single player, but I have found with groups it gets even worse. Lots of "rubber banding" stunting, freezing, and sometimes that results in death and it's very aggravating. I just couldn't imaging playing hardcore with the game in this state.

Overall, I'm glad Diablo was released and that I got to finish it. Improved graphics, story, cutscenes, are great. The skill system is unsatisfying, the loot system doesn't feel as exciting as diablo 2, the crafting system is kind of boring, purchasing storage and leveling your crafters is just a big gold sync to keep gold important and feels more like a chore than an exciting achievement. And the achievements system is similar to what you find in other blizzard games and brings no innovations there. Custom banners are nice.

7/10 - Good but with some frustrations and disappointments.
  69. May 26, 2012
    Emotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, itemEmotions and poor analysis aside, Blizzard isn't stupid. Most gamers today ARE casual WoW-babies with bad computers that need everything dumbed down and low graphics. If they had kept the complexity and and darker/high end graphics, this game would have a much smaller niche community. You can't really blame them for appealing to the largest demographic. As for story, repetitiveness, item farming, I see no difference with Diablo 2. I think a lot of us have a different impression of Diablo 2 because we were younger. Today, I would rush through D2 in a day and farm items over and over, same deal here. RMA AH is not great, but consider 1. D2 probably had the largest illegit item selling market of any game ever made and 2. Blizzard is the only game company that provides servers for big population games like Diablo and Starcraft series with no monthly fee. Hosting isn't free people. Expand
  70. May 27, 2012
    i like the game its cool i like how they give you a reason to play the other difficulties and pvp will be added later...>_> if i was to give a real rating i would give it to people sometimes I wish i wasn't human because we all are really a bunch of ****
  71. May 27, 2012
    Diablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to beDiablo 3 isn't the horrible mess that a lot of people are claiming. Oh, it's true that the graphics won't blow you out of your chair, the story is pretty tacked-on, and you have to be online at all times because of the DRM.... but it's fun. I can honestly say I've been having fun with this thing. Battles are quick, destructible things go crunch, and your enemies look evil enough to be convincing. Loot seems to be pretty good to me. I suppose some are whining because they don't get multiple epics on every drop. A lot of people think that simplifying the stats and skill system is a bad thing. I think it works pretty well, myself, and is a good break. (If you want stats and skills to tweak, go play one of the Avernum games...)
    Anyway, not a bad game. It could have been/should have been better after 12 years, but whatever. It's fun, and thats what counts.
  72. May 28, 2012
    How does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan forHow does a person write a good review without being biased? A brilliant game, excellent cinematics, but...... DRM - Another terrible "Big Brother", approach to telling you WHEN and WHEN NOT to play the title.... Not being able to play single player offline is a bad approach to game security. For a company who sold 6.3 Million copies in the first week, you will thinl they would plan for players not being locked to online play only! After over a decade, you would think that they would have many more diverse features and extended ideologies..... No Unique, magical or rare sets.....you need to skill up beyond the level of fair to MAKE your own sets.... Normal mode is more like Easy mode, with two more difficulties to follow.... Altough the game has been fun, and has a few new ideas, it is worthy of getting a 7 / 10.... but come on Blizzard... surely with over $300 million in the bank, you can make some "FREE" extras, and unlock the DRM for people to play offline or at home with their friends on a LAN withouth the need of a permanent internet connection??? Expand
  73. May 28, 2012
    Still getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which IStill getting lols out of Metacritic user reviews for Diablo 3. Apart from way too many server restarts and the occasional lag spike the game is running fine and looks great (higher res textures for the character select screen couldn't have hurt though). The story isn't original but it's engaging. As to gameplay, it's almost the same game as Diablo 2, minus the skills system which I personally prefer. The only thing that bothers me is the random stats on gear producing an abundance of throw-away items, which is fine on blues but shouldn't really happen on rares or legendaries, particularly class specifics. It seems as though most items are meant to go to the Smith for crafting mats, I'd rather this was a more difficult choice where gear was auctionable or worth keeping for other characters. My only other major complaint its the AH, where pattern and artisan training searches in particular appear to be broken, but I'm confident that longer term this will be resolved. In all, an addictive game and a solid successor to a game that was always built around epic gear lust with fun but shallow actual gameplay. Expand
  74. May 18, 2014
    I honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it andI honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it and haven't played it since then, I suggest you give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has some issues, like in order to fix the horrible economy they basically destroyed trading(in that all the highest tier items are pretty much account bound), but the fact that you'll actually find items worth using makes that a whole lot less painful than you would think, and it's definitely better than that awful auction/trading house mess that they had at release. As of 2.0.1 it is good enough that I spent money on their over priced expansion pack, and I honestly was planning on never giving Blizzard another dime, ever again. Expand
  75. May 30, 2012
    I really liked the art and story. That said, it doesn't advance the genre and the single player online-only DRM is a huge insult to fans. It just looks like a big corporate prank on the players who've stood by Blizzard for years (and with good reason). It's all about the gameplay. No gameplay = no love. Aim for a good game Bliizard, not just the money and DRM.
  76. May 30, 2012
    I have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves theI have passed normal, nightmare and hell difficulty levels, and I am ready to give you a piece of my mind. Good side is, the game is as addictive as Diablo 2 was, as long as you have a team to play with at least. I like the new skill system, rune effects effects are cool also, and the number of possible skill combinations is decent as well. Even the story, though simple, improves the impression you get in the end. Talking about dissapointments: no skill trees anymore, so lack of character customization. Auction house with real money sales will kill the game based solely on items stats. Misuc is lousy, and most of the time you feel like there is none at all. And the graphics could have been better. Would be the best if you don't use zoom at all. And now, the final flaw: logging int this game in normal hours (from after working hours till sleep time) is far from possible, lags can be terrible as well while you luckily log in. This game is not cheap,so the availability problems can really play on nerves sometimes.

All in all: this is a good game. Not great, not lame. Good piece of work, although not worth the legend it posess.
  77. May 30, 2012
    I've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't beenI've read some of the bad reviews, and a lot of them don't really apply to the actual game itself (such as "OMG I can't log in on launch day!"). It almost seems like some people (such as tsu2k) didn't play the game at all and just quoted what others have said read about the game. There is no arena pvp yet, so I don't see why people are mad saying there is only arena pvp. It hasn't been implemented yet. Now on to the review.

The good:
    - Decent voice acting
    - Scoundrel has some hillarious conversations when talking to other people
    - Amazing CGI cut scenes
    - You can pretty much use all your skills even when you are 60. I remember back in Diablo 2, you would never use the skill you got early on when you hit 99 or even 20.
    - Some challenging battles (challenging vs cheap)
    - Easy to play gameplay so it opens up the series to beginners and advance players alike. The learning curve isn't bad, but with runes and such, advance players can have fun trying out new play styles.
    - Loot!

The Bad
    - ONLINE DRM (horrible idea and as I see it as a disservice to customers. If I'm expected to play single player, but always have a internet connection, then I expect Blizzard to always have servers ready for the high payload of customers logging in. To this date they have had some issues of logins (for example yesterday I received the infamous error 37 again).

- Only 4 people can play together in a party together vs 8. Hell, at LEAST make it 5 people since there are 5 classes.

- Story is a bit cliché. Not to ruin it for anyone (and don't read any further if you REALLY don't want a hint about the story) but remember how Starcraft had Kerrigan and Warcraft had Arthas? Not exactly like that, but similar in some ways.

- Magic find % seems useless at times. Now I know it's random, but I had 125% magic find with no rare drops in 2 hours of playtime on Hell mode. My friend had 9% and got about 10 rare items. Again I know it is random, but it has happened on many occasions. Interesting thing is, when you play a lower difficulty or do a second run through again on the same difficulty, rare items seem to drop more.

- There's a difference when a game is challenging and just plain cheap. Some parts of hell are fun, but there are others when an blue mob has both freezing and desecration ability and freezes you in place, then burns you down while frozen with their desecration move and on top of that they can teleport and shoot 5 arcane sentry laser to burn you further while you are frozen. - No more spamming heal pots! That's what made grinding fun back in D2, you can carry a stack of potions and it made it intense fight. Versus waiting 30 secs or something like that. Blizzard should at least shorten the cool down time or remove it.

- Blizzard nerfs. Sad to say, but I feel as PVP comes out, they will start nerfing classes even more to the point where classes become useless in PVE. Hopefully (and a BIG hope at that) PVP will have their own sets of class "nerfs" to balance issues, but PVE will be untouched (or at least make classes useful for PVE'ing). FYI I have a Monk and I feel they are the Death Knights of being nerfed constantly.

Finals thoughts:
    While this game is fun, it doesn't deserve a perfect a review. The very fact that Blizzard has taken out content that was suppose to be in the game doesn't help. Yes I know they plan on perfecting it (which I am a fan of when companies sincerely want to improve something), but I find it hard to believe it took them 10+ years to still perfect a game. Heck even 4 years since they debuted the Barbarian gameplay. IMHO, I strongly feel Blizzard is trying to milk out the game as long as possible by bits and parts of the game that should've been ready to go from the start (pets, pvp, enchanting, etc). Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game to play with friends and family, however it's far from being a perfect and polished game that doesn't warrant the 10+ years of waiting.
  78. Jun 30, 2012
    If you are a fan of the Diablo series, buy this game and play it. Despite some of the negative you may find on here; the game is a good game worth several play-throughs. That cannot be said for most games.
  79. May 30, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, whatLet me start off by saying that the server issues will be fixed. That said, the drm on this game is unacceptable and must be fixed I mean really, mandatory internet connection for everything? What most people enjoy in this game is online, so let me have my single player when i'm in bed and can't connect. In this day and age, this sort of drm is unacceptable. With that out of the way, what you find in this game is a promising albeit far too linear game. In such a deep dungeon crawler, the simplified stat system just isn't right. Maybe for less experienced players, but for all, just no. Also, the way i'm spoon fed quests, makes me feel like there isnt much else to do in this game, theres occasional optional dungeons, but the rewards in there are mediocre at best. At least the deepish combat redeems the games flaws and playing never feels like a chore, i'm challenged even on normal. Music and sound are great and the soundtrack always feels right. I can see how some dont like the graphics but they're satisfactory in my opinion. And finally, the story is there, but i dont particularly care about it, it's not all that engaging. In Closing:
    The anticipated diablo 3 is a good game, but has an abundance of flaws for Blizzard to fix. If they can fix the character customization and stat assignments, along with further expansions making the game feel more open, they'll have a much better game on their hands, remember internet, it's been out for 2 weeks. **** will be fixed.
    The Verdict: Unless you MUST play this game, download the cheaper Torchlight 2 and wait for Diablo to get a few more patches(i hope these patches will fix stuff) or maybe an expansion.
  80. May 30, 2012
    Being a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include theBeing a 12 year veteran of Diablo 2, I was excited to get my hands on this sequel. To be brief, D3 excels in some areas, but falls short in others. High points include the extremely low system requirements, excellent hardware performance, wonderful rag doll physics, powerful combat and a unique, innovative skill system. However, some of the more negative aspects of D3 include the online-only DRM, extreme server instability, constant server downtimes, oversimplification of item suffixes, as well as the removal of many rather D2 staples, such as item runes, powerful mercenaries and an effective lobby system. Additionally, while the new skill system is interesting and fresh, I can't yet say with certainty that it's an improvement over D2's. Is Diablo 3 a good game? Certainly, it's great. Is it better than Diablo 2? Only time will tell. Expand
  81. May 31, 2012
    Diablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone canDiablo 3 is an excellent game. However the game has some terrible design choices. For one, the auction house ruins the balance. Characters can fly by the first two campaign difficulties after purchasing 100,000 gold worth of items in the AH. In PVP, I really hope you cannot use items purchased in the AH, if that's the case, then PVP is completely futile, and utterly stupid. Anyone can spend cash on gold, or even cash in the real-world currency AH, buy all the gear they want and then go "pwn sum nubs" with their elite gear that they just bought from someone who spent hours to find it. Another dissapointment is the completely ridiculous, unoriginal pile of trash that they call a story. Who wrote the story for this game? Were they drunk? Were they dropped on their head as a child!? The story is so mediocre that I can't even describe in words the mediocrity of the depth and lack of any actual interesting aspect within D3's plot. Towards the end it gets interesting, but just for a few moments, then it goes back to being an uninspired joke. The cinematics are epic, but way too short. I really think that Blizzard could have done better wtih both the story and cinematics. Diablo 2 had much better cutscenes, and the fight scenes within D3's are very short and uninteresting. Very disappointing Blizz, Starcraft 2 had better cutscenes than this, so why couldn't you do D3's with the same energy that you put into SC2's!? Now, the ranting is over. On to the good. Diablo 3 has a unique and interesting skill system. The game is designed to be unique to each individual, and that their is no supreme, or most-optimal build. This is true, and Blizz designed the skill system well. The game now relies more on skill rather than what website you copied your build from. I am impressed by the rune system and the sheer amount of variety you can have toying with your character's abilities. One thing that I love about Diablo 3, is the art style. Yes it is mildly cartoony, and I am aware of the seemingly WoW inspired graphics, but the environments look awesome, enemies are great to look at, and the backdrops are interesting. Another problem I have in this game, is the ridiculous character design. The Witch Doctor looks fine, so does the Barbarian, but a few of the others are bizarre and almost out of place. The female monk looks like a white Halle Berry, the male Wizard looks like he just stepped out of a Japanese anime and the male Demon Hunter looks like a teenaged junkie. In conclusion Diablo 3 is an excellent game, even if you must suffer through digital communism, er, I mean Blizzard's DRM via Batle.net. I give D3 a 7.5/10. Pros: Addictive gameplay, great skill system, varied enemy variety and interesting artstyle Cons: DRM, auction house DESTROYS balance, short and non-epic cutscenes, terrible story that lacks both imagination and originality Expand
  82. Jun 1, 2012
    Entertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills withoutEntertaining but certainly not the greatest thing since electric scissors. Art is nicely stylized, although the character figures are a little tiny and much of the individual details get lost. Limiting the character skill load-out to a limited number of hotkeys is a nice touch (vs. the 900 active buttons in a typical WoW character UI) but there is a vagueness to selecting skills without knowing exactly how they compare. I'm not an expert player but I resent that the entire game has to be played through on Normal difficulty (which is rarely challenging) before being presented with the choice to increase the difficulty (and thus make the thing more engaging than simply clicking a million enemies to death with little thought or tactics). The always-connected issue is just as ludicrous as others have complained about... I have ZERO desire to play this with strangers online and as for always-on removing the ability to cheat - who actually cares about that other than the hard-core pvp knuckleheads that will still insist that the other guy is SOMEHOW cheating? I'm mostly disappointed that I bought a digital copy of this that I can't re-sell when I am done with it (which will probably be quite soon). Expand
  83. Jun 2, 2012
    I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House,I like Diablo 3, I don't love it. The 1st week was frustrating at best between server issues and bugs in the game. Now that we're a few weeks into the game, I haven't had any real issues with the servers other than a random DC or the occasional lag "when there's too much going on at once issue" here or there. Im not going to talk about the distribution of skill points/stats, Auction House, multiplayer and PvP (or lack of) as this has been done ad naseum so this is simply my impression of the game. I like the graphics (yes, they are a tad cartoonish unlike the other Diablo games) but the environment itself is moody and "feels" big. The game seems almost too easy on Normal, which is fine with me as I want to feel badass while being able to enjoy the game......not yell at it. They definitely simplified this from its predecessor.......again, fine with me. I just want to kill, look cool doing it and grab some really cool loot and Diablo 3 delivers. Expand
  84. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played 100+ hours of this game on Hardcore mode. Leveled each class to at least 30+ (except Wizard).

Here is a pro and con list that I've compiled:

Pros

1. Skills and runes are varied.

2. The affixes for monsters are cool and interesting.

3. Hardcore mode was included.

4. The sound bites of lore.

5. Achievements. 6. The banner that you can customize.

7. Armor dye.

8. More gem grades (more than D2).

9. Cool cinematics.

Cons

1. A lot of the skills and runes seem worthless compared to others.

2. Players can receive credit and quest experience while sitting in town.

3. The checkpoint system is easily exploited. For instance, players can repeatedly farm the same rare monster pack if it's subsequent to a checkpoint.

4. The art direction is a little too over-the-top. In other words, too WoWish, with the big hands, shoulders, etc. I'd prefer it if Diablo 3 were a little more bleak and realistic looking. The monsters in this game look evil, but they're evil in a silly over-the-top way, not in a "holy #&#@ that thing is actually scary" kind of way.

5. The story is juvenile as well as predictable.

6. The voice acting is too over-the-top and the lines are, again, juvenile. Not all of it, but a good portion. For example, "You will never defeat me! Rawr!" - Skeleton King. Come on now. The Skeleton King in the original Diablo was much more intimidating and scary.

7. Game is too short. In an age where games like Skyrim exist, this is unacceptable.

8. The music is forgettable, and the way it is blared in the cinematics is annoying. The only song I liked was the reimagined Tristram theme in the first act.

9. Followers can't be used in multiplayer games.

10. A lot of times, there are too many effects, monsters and stuff on the screen all at once in multiplayer games.

11. Itemization in its entirety is less interesting and simpler in D3 than D2. "I'm a Witch Doctor; therefore, I concentrate on intelligence (DPS) and vitality, derp. All done." And the items are equally uninteresting. Then there are the horrendous drops. Does Magic Find even work? Finally, legendaries seem too rare and are not powerful enough.

12. Wizards running around with two handed axes and Barbarians with daggers. In other words, classes, for the most part, do not restrict which items you can or cannot use.

13. Male wizard looks like a pansy while the female wizard looks fine.

14. No way to search for players to look at their items, achievements, and characters. You can only look at the profiles of players who you've recently played with--or your friend's. 15. The time it takes to get to 60 is too short. 16. No PKing. And by PK, I mean actual PKing, not World of Warcraft battlegrounds and Arena (but as of now we don't even have that). 17. Matchmaking as opposed to a readily available list of public games where you can select exactly which game you want to join like in D2. 18. Having to listen to the same lines of dialogue and play through the same story events over and over again even though you're at the point where you've experienced it all before and is now only interested in leveling and itemization. 19. The servers are too unstable for a game that is online only. 20. Feminine-looking Diablo. Why did they do this? I don't know, but it looks stupid.
  85. Jun 2, 2012
    I have never played any Diablo game before as I am mainly a console gamer but due to the lack of seriously good games on consoles at the moment I turned my attention to Diablo 3.
    I have not encounter any connection problem and installation was a breeze. Even creating my Battlenet account was very easy.
    So now about being online all the time. Who came up with such a bad idea. I play on a laptop so no way for me to take my laptop and play somewhere with no internet connection (train , plane...) or at least I don't want to pay for while on the go.
    The game itself:
    The graphics are pretty poor for such a long awaited game. The story is so poor that I don't even follow anymore.
    Let be clear the best part of the game is the fighting and looting and so it should be. Fighting is fun, fast and furious. Looting is plentiful.
    The game is very easy to pick up. there is no learning curve install and play it.
    For whatever it is worth if you re ready to bear to be connected non stop to play even in single mode this game is fun. It is not the big blockbuster I was expecting and I am moving back to consoles as soon as I am done with Diablo 3 and from what I see it won't be long.
    Hopefully this kind of "big Brother" control won't come to console soon but I fear it is closer than we think.
  86. Jun 2, 2012
    Riding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery beforeRiding on the coattails of its predecessors, Diablo III ingenuously tugs at our most primitive and simple pleasures, and at its core, the game's fun in the same way that a slot machine is fun. As far as gameplay mechanics, the depth in character customization isn't really apparent until you reach around level 20, so you've initially got to stick with the whole click-fest drudgery before you can really experience all of what the game's got to offer. Also, itâ Expand
  87. Jun 3, 2012
    With Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphicalWith Blizzard behind the development, Diablo 3 was set to be an amazing game. What we got was a good game -- and that's why it's so disappointing. When I play Diablo 3, I can't help but wish I were playing Diablo 1 or 2 instead. The game feels very unpolished in many ways, and it's strangely missing a lot of features you'd never think a game like this would be missing. From graphical setting, to user interface issues, to key binding -- Diablo 3 is missing a lot of customization that it needs. Worst of all, there are no WASD controls; you must move via the mouse. Why do that? Why not at least give players the option of moving via WASD keys? The gameplay is solid, if a but uninspired. It's mostly just a click-fest. I'd much rather play a lot of other games if I were looking to satisfy my hack-and-slash cravings. In fact, I regret buying it for $60 -- I'd much rather have spent $20 on Torchlight 2 and then had $40 to buy something else. The user scores on MetaCritic are undeniable: people are terribly disappointed with this game. Does it deserve a 0? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Does it deserve anything above a 7? Well, I hate numerical scores, but I can say that this game is nothing more than a mere good hack-and-slash RPG. I played several hours in, trying out each of the character classes, and then put the game down. It's been over a week and I haven't touched it, and have no desire to.

I recommend passing this one up, and buying Torchlight 2 instead. Save yourself $40.
  88. Jun 10, 2012
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty) +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth +Good voiceacting and soundtrack -ridiculous always online drm -item variety feels a little disappointing -character customization lacking -story feels really rushed in the last chapters Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun
    +Combat feels awesome
    +Graphics are really pretty and run smooth
    +Loads of Gametime (it took me 20h to finish normal difficulty)
    +Multiplayer is really easy and smooth
    +Good voiceacting and soundtrack

-ridiculous always online drm
    -item variety feels a little disappointing
    -character customization lacking
    -story feels really rushed in the last chapters

Im gonna give it a 7/10, very fun game but it does not live up to the hype
  89. Jun 10, 2012
    An incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render theAn incredibly fun, addictive, and generally satisfying dungeon-crawling ARPG that is quite unfortunately hindered by an absence of stat point customization, a frustratingly unrewarding loot system, and endless online connectivity issues. One will doubtlessly find themselves being slaughtered by groups of common enemies at higher difficulty levels because lag spikes tend to render the player effectively blind for non-negotiable lengths of time-- even in single player. If Blizz fully comprehended the server expense of having all games run entirely on the server's side, it's disappointing at best and infuriating at worst that Battle.net's capacity for demand doesn't cut the mustard. Expand
  90. Jun 11, 2012
    Well, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You haveWell, considering the fact that this game was made for more than 10 years, I expected a lot from it. That is the only problem with it. Graphics are average, the story is good and the gameplay is outstanding, but it could have been much-much better. This game could have been made in 3 years! What did Blizzard do in 10 years? To those who are complaining about internet connection: You have no internet? What's the problem with that? Expand
  91. Jul 23, 2013
    Diablo 3, despite its many flaws, exploitable content, and grind-oriented gameplay, is a solid title. I could talk about its shortcomings, but seeing as how it has a 4.0 user rating I'm sure most of those have been covered in great detail. Instead I'll talk about how its a reasonably entertaining game with a high amount of polish.

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its predecessors, but they're crisp and aesthetically appealing. The sound and music is also top-tier material; however, voice acting is sub-par.

The co-op is great and it's super easy and super fast to join up with friends. This is accomplished mainly by the fact that the game has virtually no load times. Yes, character customization is dumbed down, but it still has depth.I like the fact that there are so many viable abilities in the end-game and that you can choose a skill setup that matches your play style without severely handicapping yourself. Combat is fun and satisfying. The end-game is difficult, but far from impossible... just as Blizzard promised. Actually, I would have given the game an 8/10, but I felt obligated to subtract a point because of the upcoming nerf to inferno difficulty. Bad move in my opinion. After killing Diablo on inferno difficulty, I have no motivation to continue playing. Nerfing the difficult content is only going to expedite that process for others.

All in all I don't think this game will have the lasting appeal that Diablo 2 did, but it's still a solid title worth checking out, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
  92. Jun 12, 2012
    This is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized andThis is a good game,with many fixable problems(servers/loot/diff). But! This is not a diablo game,it lost its atmosphere,its feeling,it turned into a grind game with roles, Yes just like wow.I'd rather had 5 more diablo 2 expansions thans this gam,and i want Jay wilson to gtfo of diablo and these guys come back!( The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.) - taken from wikipedia - Diablo 2 Even if i played like 120hrs now,i will play more but it bores me now,diablo 2 never bored me for 4 years, Everybody say that D2 became good after lod and patches,in my opinion if this is true why couldn't they bring those goodies in D3. If this game hadn't been called Diablo it would be a 10+++++ rated game,but because it bears the name diablo,and cant exceed the minimum for it,it gets only 7. Expand
  93. Jun 14, 2012
    Coming from Diablo 2, of course there would be some huge expectations. Unfortunately Diablo 3 actually disappoints quite a lot. Fortunately most of the areas where Diablo 3 is lacking will be fixed in patches, so in a year or something the game will probably be 50% more fun. THE most important thing is items, and this is actually one of the areas where it is lacking the most. This will beComing from Diablo 2, of course there would be some huge expectations. Unfortunately Diablo 3 actually disappoints quite a lot. Fortunately most of the areas where Diablo 3 is lacking will be fixed in patches, so in a year or something the game will probably be 50% more fun. THE most important thing is items, and this is actually one of the areas where it is lacking the most. This will be fixed and that will be awesome, but one thing they can't fix is the story. And the story is bad. I don't think they can fix the voice acting either, and especially with the bosses is it bad. I still get goosebumps from Diablo saying "Not even death can save you from me", or from Baal's laughter, or basically just from any boss in Diablo 2. The bosses don't sound cool in Diablo 3, so you don't really get this feeling of "Epicness". And even though the combat and action is immensely fun, the game doesn't really feel that great. Expand
  94. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good:
    Diablo III has the formula that made it's predecessors work down to an art-form. The story, while not particularly deep, is a great monster-slaying setup with stunning cutscenes and story elements. The gameplay is addictive and intuitive, offering many choices on builds for characters and the ability to swap skills/powers in and out on the fly is a welcome feature. The visuals and soundtrack are equally great, continuing to bring the dark, medieval fantasy setting of the Diablo universe alive and keeping it dark and foreboding in tone. The game length is just long enough, neither being too long or too short... especially since the game kind of dictates multiple play throughs. The multiplayer is well-implemented, the fact that you can choose to play with friends or in public games makes it the game much more private and fun than that of an MMORPG, but at the same time keeps the kind of feel of being part of a community.

The Bad:
    The item drops are way too random and the 'magic find' trait is misleading in it's function. Items you need or want won't drop unless you spend several hours, maybe even days, 'farming' for them and, more often than not, 90% of the item drops you do get will be fodder for salvage or straight-up selling. The blacksmith's item creation is also too random often requiring mass amounts of gold, resources and several costly tries to produce an item of any kind of use, which seems unfair after all the gold and resources you already dump into him to level him up in order to make him capable of making certain level items... not to mention the items he creates can only be sold for any kind of profit on the Auction House, which is hit or miss. Skills, while varied in their styles and powers, are only a masquerade. Several classes have what could be awesome abilities, but after Act I, Normal difficulty, these powers lose any and all usefulness. The class' all seem to have one or two skill/rune set combos that are the best, rendering all the other abilities obsolete, which only gets worse the higher level the character gets. This creates the illusion of customization, but it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Multiplayer, while fun, is required on higher difficulties, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Personally, I'd like to be able to go through the game by myself on any difficulty. Cramming multiplayer down my throat is an unwanted feature.

The Ugly:
    This new fad games are trying to use of only allowing players to play if they're online, even for single player, seems to be unnecessary. The Auction House, while a cool idea and useful, is a cop out, but at the same time you'll find that you have to use it in order to get your character up to a level in which he/she can survive... especially on higher difficulties.

Overall:
    It's beautiful and keeps things simple and in the vein of previous Diablos making it accessible to old and newcomers alike. The random item drop seems way off kilter, not giving you what you need to progress and forcing you to spend oodles of gold (or even real money) in the Auction House to get 'caught up'. The skills have enormous unrealized potential by only picking a few of the 'best' skills and making those the best build options and not allowing equal optimization with all the powers.
  95. Jun 21, 2012
    The game itself is good, although the price of 60$ +tax% is a too pricey for a game that offers little more than a rough 6-8 hour campaign with none of the modern rpg element of this decade. By that I mean, the standard has been set, and Diablo 3, though much better than its predecessor, it lacks the modern feel. I understand that keeping to the original style of the game is alwaysThe game itself is good, although the price of 60$ +tax% is a too pricey for a game that offers little more than a rough 6-8 hour campaign with none of the modern rpg element of this decade. By that I mean, the standard has been set, and Diablo 3, though much better than its predecessor, it lacks the modern feel. I understand that keeping to the original style of the game is always nice(Top angular Camera angel, skill usage) and all, but leaving out everything that is expected from rpg this day and age was not a wise choice. Simple things such as character customization , in-depth npc, etc. I know that one of the Diablo's series praised trait is its action, with little to no story, but! THOSE time has changed, and it wouldn't hurt a company who spent nearly 11 years making this(though they are still delaying everything) couldn't just add a more in-depth experience beyond the "POINT CLICK-LOOT-KILL BOSS-WATCH CUTSCENE FOR STORY(Story was good, kudos to that)". Most of all, I felt the game left a lot to be desired by the veterans of Diablo 1 & 2, stripping the mechanics of pointing skills points where i want, just for the cause of making a simpler for casual gamers. I understand that by doing this, they could draw in more modern gamers, but yet they couldn't included other modern content that I already mentioned above. To conclude my review, I would love to say that, I personally enjoyed the game, and had my moments with it, but at the end of it all, it left a bland taste in my mouth, that even though it was polished and well in-tuned with most of it's origins, it had a lot to be desired. 7/10*. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2012
    Obviously hated because of the always online requirement and dumbing down of the controls, Diablo 3 is still better than a lot of the games out on the market right now. Diablo has never really strived to be a lore heavy game. It's an arcade-style dungeon crawler. The whole point of the game is to grind for levels and look for loot. It is slightly disappointing they changed from the darkObviously hated because of the always online requirement and dumbing down of the controls, Diablo 3 is still better than a lot of the games out on the market right now. Diablo has never really strived to be a lore heavy game. It's an arcade-style dungeon crawler. The whole point of the game is to grind for levels and look for loot. It is slightly disappointing they changed from the dark and dreary visuals for something more.. Blizzard looking, but it doesn't look bad. The controls are simplified because it's meant to be played like an arcade game. The more die hard fans of the previous games will be disappointed, of course. They took out a lot of the customization options, and made it generally easier to play and dive into. Is it a good thing they did that? Ehh...

If you're looking for something epic like The Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, or something of that nature, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a game that you can run around and beat up monsters for a bit in, you'll enjoy it. It doesn't necessarily feel like Diablo, but it is still good.
  97. Jul 1, 2012
    Ok, as far as the game I'm really enjoying the game play as it is exactly what I expected. Graphically the game looks amazing. There is a decent variety of mobs to slaughter and the terrain really sets a mood. On the down side the "random" generation of the world is not nearly as good as it was in the previous versions of the game. After 10+ years of waiting I'm not sure it was evenOk, as far as the game I'm really enjoying the game play as it is exactly what I expected. Graphically the game looks amazing. There is a decent variety of mobs to slaughter and the terrain really sets a mood. On the down side the "random" generation of the world is not nearly as good as it was in the previous versions of the game. After 10+ years of waiting I'm not sure it was even possible to live up to my expectations. Was I disappointed with the lack of customization available for the classes, extremely. Does it kill the games fun? In my opinion, no. Because the limitation will breed more creativity in character builds. Many people will disagree with that but this game is still incredibly young and as patches continue to roll out the balance will become more apparent. I have to say that the reliance on gear as opposed to player skill and character skill is pretty annoying because I get the sneaking feeling that this is being used to push the RMAH. The game is very good, not great. I'm hoping that as future patches roll out the game gets better and better and Blizzard doesn't disappoint. Expand
  98. Jul 3, 2012
    After more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know whyAfter more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know why the developers chose to go in that direction, since D3 has no subscription fee. In my opinion, it would have been better to let every players easily acquire awesome loot and plow through Inferno easily than forcing them to grind countless hours in gold and/or gear farming. When you get in the Inferno difficulty, the game changes from being a leisure to being a chore. Almost every problems Blizzard had with illegal activities (bots, etc) resulted in patches that punished the legit players more than the botters. The always-on DRM was supposed to solve many problems, but ended up being a pain more than a solution.

I estimate my enjoyment and experience value of the D3 product to 40$, maximum. In the future, I will be wary of acquiring another Blizzard product, as it will take good convincing from both reviews and friends before considering purchase.
  99. Jul 4, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that is a lot of fun depending on what class you play. I researched the different classes before the game was released and believed that I would love the Barbarian class. I did for awhile. Once I reached Inferno mode the game sucked. This game gets a 9/10 until you play Inferno as a melee class. Even with elite gear I believe that it would still be difficult to playDiablo 3 is a game that is a lot of fun depending on what class you play. I researched the different classes before the game was released and believed that I would love the Barbarian class. I did for awhile. Once I reached Inferno mode the game sucked. This game gets a 9/10 until you play Inferno as a melee class. Even with elite gear I believe that it would still be difficult to play as a barbarian. Since the melee classes are almost unsaleable in the last game mode it greatly effects this game overall. I have beaten the game three times as my barbarian just to find out I picked the wrong class. Cool story. Since I am not going to level another character to 60 I am basically done with this game. Expand
  100. Jul 5, 2012
    People expected a new reference for a good dungeon crawler and hack'n'slash game and renewal of the old item hunt formula. Unfortunately this is not what Diablo 3 will represent, instead people will get a game which will keep them entertained for a while until they stumble over the many shortcomings of its design and either continue to play until Blizzard has addressed them
  101. May 15, 2012
    Do not simply rate this game on the quality of the server on day 1, because that's being biased and unfair. The actual GAME is amazing. The controls are fluid, the gameplay is stellar, and the graphics are good. Overall, a definate buy. The only thing that bugs me is the exclusion of LAN and this DRM stuff they are pushing. Its a horrible way to push out a game, and almost every review ofDo not simply rate this game on the quality of the server on day 1, because that's being biased and unfair. The actual GAME is amazing. The controls are fluid, the gameplay is stellar, and the graphics are good. Overall, a definate buy. The only thing that bugs me is the exclusion of LAN and this DRM stuff they are pushing. Its a horrible way to push out a game, and almost every review of the game states that. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012