8.7

1. Mar 24, 2012
    What can I say over 150 positive 7 mixed and 21 bad Diablo the game that changed everything.
    Diablo 3 out soon hope it is worth the wait .Chop chop .
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    I should really just sum this review up in two words: "Diablo Clone." Wait, where did that come from? Oh yeah, it came from this game. If you have never heard of a Diablo clone, then you are pretty much a newb. Diablo copied the action sequences of some popular ASCII games, added in some stellar graphics and sound (for their time), and made a story that would make Lucifer himself cringe. The game was simple, but also had some complexity. The level layouts were completely random. The item drops combined random item properties in a prefix-base-suffix setup in which each randomly generated section had a massive number of possibilities.
    Skills were not tied to classes, but were instead tied to books that you found on the way! You could be a warrior with fireballs or a wizard in Gothic Plate! Experiment all you wish!
    There was some great single player, multiplayer via LAN and B.net, and most importantly, wide open PKing to add layers of challenge to the game.
    This game revolutionized the ARPG genre, or perhaps even created it! For what it was in its day, there were very few games to challenge, let alone top it. For this reason, Diablo 1 gets my highest recommendations!
  3. Aug 28, 2011
    Okay, fans will kill me, but Diablo wasn't that great. I don't know how to explain this game. It's somewhat of a point-and-click-adventure without the adventure-typical riddles and storyline. Some sort of a Last Ninja clone in a fantasy-setting for a more casual audience. A low cost rpg without characters and variety (other than different styles of slaying). This is actually not the worst thing, if a game tries to be simple - however Diablo didn't want to be that simple. Cinematics, advertisement and pricing claim to be much more. The procedurally generated levels did not offer as much variety as expected. Expand
  4. Oct 2, 2013
    FlavioV. you're an useless retarded, together with the others who gave this game a low score. you useless idiot, did you realize that this game was released in 1996, almost 20 years ago and you're complaining for the graphics? useless retarded whiny human being. Retarded useless idiots.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    Released in 96 this game was the first of its kind and generally just as good as it gets.
    Enjoyed it for countless hours, even more with the hellfire addon and mods like varahya/khans.
    Judged by that it clearly was a 10/10 game even if i probably wouldnt pick it up again today for the same reasons i wouldnt pick up civilization 1 or duke nukem 3D again.
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    Somehow, this game still holds up. Easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played (besides Diablo 2), it's also one of the most mindless (at least if you play as a fighter). Pure point and click, hack and slash simplicity that somehow manages to stay fun throughout. I ended up wishing for a bit more depth near the end of the game, but that's where Diablo 2 comes in. On it's own, this is still great fun. Expand
  7. May 19, 2012
    A revolutionary game for its time in all respects. Yes it had its share of bugs. The words town killed still engenders feelings of deep resentment among old time fans. Yes it does not compare to the richness of current gaming. Though its graphics are aged and outdated, the sound, voice acting and atmosphere are a morosely compelling as it ever was. Few will ever forget their first meeting with the butcher or their battle with the Skeleton King. For many, myself included, it was their first foray into online multiplayer and it was good. It was not the saccharine world of nintendo, the slow turn based strategy games that dominated the PC scene then or the increasingly arcane 2d fighter. It was a dark and accessible world where anyone could enter but few would ever leave. We miss you Blizzard North and we will never forget this game. Expand
  8. Jul 12, 2012
    Diablo was a great game for it's time: very original and entertaining to go deeper and deeper into the depths of caves, killing stuff with interesting skills. Pretty good!
  9. May 26, 2011
    The original Diablo not only ushered in an era of clickfest action-RPGs for the PC, it probably also helped revive interest in computer roleplaying games in general, though ironically action-RPGs eventually killed off hardcore RPGs five year later, with Arcanum being the final game of that era (that said, Diablo is not actually that far from the hardcore dungeon crawling RPGs like the Icewind Dale and Might & Magic series). Diablo may not be as refined as later action-RPGs, nor as deep as the hardcore RPGs, but the gameplay still enjoyable, rewarding, and addictve, with a unique gothic fantasy setting, well-emphasized by the dark, heavy and genuinely creepy atmosphere permeates through the game, an atmosphere that was sadly and sorely lacking in Diablo II (which I consider to be an inferior game, for this reason). I'd go as far to say that the original Diablo is one of the most atmospheric roleplaying games ever released - and atmosphere is very important for roleplaying games. Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2011
    Not perfect, but for its time nearly a decade and a half ago this game was great. The mood and feel of this game surpasses its sequel, as does its music. However, I will knock a point off for the cheats that ran rampant and for the painfully slow walking despite giant maps.
  11. Sep 14, 2011
    The original atmosphere. I loved this game, and though its getting old, it still brings me dark memories. I remember playing this in darkness and encountering Diablo for the first time *chills*. Play it now because you like the story line, and because you need the original scare!
  12. Feb 28, 2012
    A masterpiece. Everything about this game is what defines the concept of a true classic. The music, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the story, all fits together into a wonderful piece of art in videogame form.
  13. Feb 21, 2012
    While diablo is a weaker 'game' than diablo 2. I think it has a superior atmosphere. However since most of what you do in this game is kill monsters, collect loot, sell loot, return to monsters - the atmospheric bleakness only shows it's stunning head on occasion. For it's time, this game blew my mind. Loot was presented so well, everything was so attractive, what the next floor would bring was a mystery of sorts.The online implementation was second-to-none. I sincerely miss the darkness and gothic morbid feeling of diablo 1. That said, diablo 2 did everything significantly better, and still retained enough of the atmosphere to make the entire package grander. And diablo 2 has a hell of a lot more lasting power due to the massive depth improvements over it's prequel. Expand
  14. Jul 19, 2011
    In reviewing Diablo you have remember that video games have developed A LOT over the years, games didnt just spontaneously become as functional and as complex as they are today and Diablo has contributed a step in the progress and evolution of its genre. Diablo 1 was a great game for its time and still holds up very well, its only our impatient side of being over spoilt modern gamers that makes Diablo outdated, but when you stripe impatience aside Diablo becomes one of the timeless greats of the 90s. The design and service of Battle net is perhaps the most important and influence contribution that Diablo brought, the simple and addictive real time gameplay, the item/ loot system, stat character customisation are fantastic. The atmosphere is great (better than Diablo 2 and 3!), the simplicity and charm of the monster and environment design, the gothic story, the dark tones of despair, the random level generator all were original at its time and have since been copied and recopied in the industry today. Diablo is one of my favourites and a great and important game of its time. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow i have to weight in here 8.1 come on guys shame of you little youngsters go play with you Wii.
    First of all this is an Action RPG which has a huge community now, the game was great then Diablo 2 is still great now with a relatively huge community for a decade old game and now we wait for Diablo 3 but that s neither here nor there. I will Admit this game is no fun now but back in the
    day it was. "Times change scores don't" - Me Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    i can not believe that people call this a good game no its a great game the first in his class all other "hack&slash" out there are base on this tiny game. People that review this game like Thosa vote 2 times a 4 and a 0 need to get a life. People like "Griper below in the negative commend you find them need to get a **** slap. No stop the crap. If you dont like hack&slash game dont bother to even play it let alone to review it why because its lame and false to give false information about the game. Diablo was back in the days 1997 the hit simpel cd and you are good to go on your 4/86 with 33mhz and 4mb ram (dont forget the turbo mode) yah simple as that new people dont try this because so outdated style you will not like this horribly graphics for this age. Its like playing on your best pc the snes games or commodore game in the early games. For the fans of hack and slash games meet the king and try it, Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2011
    A great game for its time, sure people complain about how the levels all look the same but truely the are not, they are randomly generated dungeons which give you some of the best replayability. It was a ten for its day and age, and I have a feeling it's comming back with Diablo 3, all for what Ghast said, 96-98 if they remade it with new models, textures, and more customizable classes
  18. Mar 8, 2012
    One of THEE all time best games of all time! Diablo inspired perhaps countless games and not just games but great games. This game is endlessly fun to play and very very addictive even now. Randomly generated dungeon levels, dynamic ai, a plethora of weapons armor and items and 3 classes to choose from. This is a one of a kind and practically the first of its kind. A priceless gem of all ages!
  19. Nov 29, 2011
    When Diablo was released, it was the best RPG of its time. Even though there are only 3 characters does not take away from the gameplay. The dynamic maps are great, they ensure that every trip through the dungeon will be different. The sounds and music added greatly to the game. Diablo is, and probably will be one of the greatest games of all time.
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    One of my all times favorite, back in the day i would spend hours and hours just trying to find good items, also it was the first game i played Online.

The story was good and the gameplay fun and scary, no game up to this date can still beat the terror i feelt while entering the butcher room for the first time...
  21. Jun 6, 2012
    What more can I say about this game other than truely groundbreaking and amazing for its time. Diablo introduced me to the RPG franchise and have enjoyed my stay ever since.
  22. May 16, 2012
    süperrrr gamee . i love you DİABLO. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................................................................................................................
  23. May 21, 2012
    Probably the best one, and the most deserving of the name DIABLO. Intense atmosphere, the music and the refined graphics really create an unique atmosphere that was just partly replicated in Diablo 2, and completely forgotten in the crap afterwards.
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    My favorite PC game of all time. Truly the most monumental and inspirational action dungeon crawler ever created. It was the game that paved the way for its genre to grow and one of the major reasons why Blizzard became among the greatest game developers of all time.
  25. Aug 25, 2012
    When Blizzard made this game, they made a revolution to RPG world. Everything a real RPG gamer wants is in this game. Let's face it, RPG's were never about graphics, but how invested in your character, in your game, in your mission can game make you. And this game was, and still is one of the BEST games I've ever played. Sadly, Diablo franchise started to deteriorate after this game. Neither of the sequel lived up to this game. Diablo had a real story, and it was like a movie, a novel. Diablo 2 was here and there good, but had some flaws, such as no classic save game in singleplayer, but multiplayer solution to it, and Diablo 3 was a massive failure, Everything that was wrong with Diablo 2, they exaggareted it about 1000 times. Diablo 1 had both simplicity of gaming, and complexitiy of storytelling and questing. That's why Diablo, especiallly with Hellfire expansion is the game, that i play till this day... Expand
  26. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo is one of the icons of games. It showed the world that the game does not have to be difficult to be good. As in those days was a good graphics and the music even better. Randomly generated underground-that's something!. It is a pity that the disposal were only three character classes (warrior, mage and rogue). The worst thing about this game is that it is a short ...
  27. Dec 1, 2012
    If you like this dungeon runner style, you will like Diablo. Aside from the lack of deep story, the action is fun. Playing a melee character, I found difficult as it seems you spend more time chasing enemies than actually attacking them. Once you switch to mage, it is a walk in the park. I ended up using one spell through the whole game, which shows how repetitive it can get. One strong element in the game is the limited but fantastic music. There aren't many tracks, but they are very well done. Very similar to the recent Torchlight I game. Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2013
    I really love the people who judge this game a decade or more after it's release and hold it up to "current" standards and rank it badly. Yes it's a really old game today (or whenever you're reading this) but in its day it was legendary. That's not nostalgia talking, it's fact. While I do have fond memories of the game myself I do remember exactly what I thought of it at the time. A great unique game that was extremely fun to play, but also a tad repetitive and without too much depth. Diablo 1 did change the scene and really gave birth to the modern Hack-n-Slash genre. Overall: While I dod have great respect for this game I also must look at it objectively and not just with nostalgia. A great game of it's age, but also a bit limited and rough around the edges. Expand
  29. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. Best graphics for his time period. Story is superb and the sound is fine.The game includes a fantastic gameplay. This game changed the video games world- from RPG to action. This game is one of the best games ever, if not the best, this is absolutely the finest work of Blizzard Entertainment.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    When I was a child, I played this game for over a year, over and over again. It is the apitami of good game play, and as such will be forever classified as the classic and original rpg of my life.
  31. May 19, 2013
    It's a good game to most. In my opinion I never like the game play. I don't like point to move nor button mashing. Its very suspenseful with a fantastic story line. The music fits well into the game. Voice acting also was a great feature for the game.
  32. Jul 28, 2014
    One of the most important games ever made. It is STILL scary if you play now. The butcher doesn't make me wet my pants like he did the first time anymore, but knowing that if you die, you're going to have to get all your stuff back is just nerve-racking. Possibly the most atmospheric RPG ever made. Or if that's going too far, then easily the best music. The only thing that makes it an adjustment to play today is the lack of run/walk.

I play this at least once a year and have since it came out.
  33. Oct 4, 2013
    Diablo started my love for PC Games and i still play it today.
    if you haven`t played this game before i seriously recommend you do!
    A good 10 of 10 score in my part!
  34. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Dark, evil, mysterious, adventurous, exciting and so much re-playability. Outstanding. Wish they still made games like this these days.
  35. Apr 1, 2014
    All hail blizzard north the one and only true blizzard.DIABLO(1) is the best game in the world.Respect and best regards to north and Matt Ulman,Brevik and the rest... I can see what you see not— Vision milky, then eyes rot. When you turn, they will be gone, Whispering their hidden song. Then you see what cannot be— Shadows move where light should be. Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  36. Jul 12, 2014
    Greatest game of all time. It's too bad that time has not been kind to Diablo. Original and great addictive gameplay that became the face of the hack and slash rpg genre.

1. A feast of atmospheric entertainment. While it might tire after a while, you'll likely get your money's worth long before that point, and moreso if you venture into the chaos that is Battle.net, where life takes on a whole new meaning and the hours slip mysteriously away. Diablo is a landmark game.
  2. About as close to Hell as you're going to get - whether you believe in it or not. Everything about this game just rules and it will blow you away. The gameplay is the easiest I've ever come across in an RPG which is just fantastic.
  3. If you're looking for an action RPG with medieval roots and influences, dark and moody settings, and unique game play, then run to your nearest retailer and pick up a copy of Diablo!