6.9

1. May 26, 2011
    I am a hearing impaired gamer. I had pre-ordered Dirt 3 on Steam with the expectation that it would have subtitles/captions. I've sent them an email back when I bought Dirt 2. I am very disappointed that it was not heeded meaning that this game's storyline is omited for deaf players. there are millions of deaf people in this world more like hundred million or more! Your potential customers! By omiting captions or other accessibility features, you show a complete disregard for disabled players.

Gameplay wise, this is nothing more than a redressed version of Dirt 2. Excatly same racing styles.

but graphics looks improved. So I give you a 8 for great graphics, fun gameplay but 0 for ingoring deaf players so I balanced it to 3. Sorry I rate any games that way if they don't include subtites for deaf people.
  2. May 24, 2011
    This is not enhance of DiRT2. This is just a hybrid between GRID and DiRT1 with boring BGM, voices, menu and any other boring waiting time. I can't feel exciting.
    Developers need to learn why people loved DiRT2.
  3. May 25, 2011
    An arcade game for noob people. This is my opinion about Dirt 3.
    Gymkhana is an enervating discipline and the driving style in general remembers me "Sega Rally"..
    The textures are a little better than previous titles but the particles are very very atrocious. Few smoke effects and nothing else...no stones are moved, no snow "dirty" the cars, water is horrible (where are the fantastic water
    effects of Dirt 2???). Anything else? yes...the game is so simple that could be played by a baby....
    I was very disappointed about Dirt 3. Codemaster, you can do better for PC players. We are losing you..
  4. Jun 19, 2011
    Having been a fan of Dirt 1, I hoped this was as good. Alas, no. Yet another crappy port from console to PC. The manifests itself primarily in very average graphics. Dirt 1 was fantastic. The graphics were great, and therefore this should have had excellent graphics. Instead, they're quite weak by comparison. I'm sure the kiddies will think it looks great on a PS3, but for real PC based graphics, it's average. Much like Crysis 2 was.

The next thing that sucks is the terrible "ello guv'nor" British voices that waste my time and interrupt the game. They're boring and useless. They ramble on and bloody on and I can't skip them. I don't want to hear from some faceless boring voice actor trying to create excitement about rallying and telling me how "sick" it is. All I want to do is race the cars. It's a huge black mark against the game, in my opinion, and the one thing that routinely pisses me off when playing it.

The racing itself is okay. Nothing particularly special. They've claimed it's got more rallying than other games in the series, but I wouldn't know after playing it. Actual rallying is in short supply here. There's not much of it, and the stages are incredibly short as well.

The next thing that sucks are the Smelter levels. Well, they're okay, but *every* final is at the Smelter. It gets very dull. The track changes about, but it's the same location. Very poor.

However, there is a reasonable variety in the races on offer. There's dune buggys, trucks, hill climbs, gymkhana and so on. If only they hadn't made a crap looking console game and ported it to the PC.

Overall, it's a very shallow game. Not much rallying, average graphics, short races, annoying voice talking at you and wasting your time. You can further tell how crap it is because they've spent an inordinate amount of time making little documentaries about how good it is. It's not worth $50. A $30 game at best, Poor form Codemasters.
  5. Jun 24, 2011
    since i first started playing racing games, no game was ever more enjoyable than any of the colin mcrae rally games, they consistently got better... and dirt 1 was the pinnacle. so naturally after clocking more hours than i can count on it. i got dirt 2, and was very let down.

dirt 3, i don't have anything nice to say about it.. except for maybe the graphics.

there is hardly any rally
    in this game, hardly any rally stages at all.. and the rally stages that are in this game last for about 2 minutes, which you can zip through, without crashing because theyre not challenging at all. the tracks are wide, hairpins and sharp turns are seemingly non existant. but worst of all is the gymkhana events. they are frustrating, and pointless. and you are forced to do them to progress through a season.

if there is a dirt 4, i wont be buying it. i regret purchasing this.
  6. Aug 8, 2013
    Fancy an entertaining rally game with good driving model that you can turn on every now and then for a few rides? This probably isn't the game for you.

I wouldn't mind that rally itself makes 20% of the game content, because the driving model in this game is actually pretty well executed. There are, however, other annoying things that I do mind in a game I paid for. A game that, on the
    outside, makes it look like you're getting a complete package. Don't fool yourself, you're not.

The game shoves it to your face pretty much everywhere you go, that you can buy additional content. The purchasable content doesn't actually extend the game as you may be used in other titles. It completes it. This game makes you feel like you're playing a demo version of an actual game, not a full AAA title. In pretty much every race series, there's a race to be bought. In every car class, there are cars to be bought—great many of them, unfortunately.

Add to it the content reuse that you're gonna see in pretty much every game. Oh, you're driving in Finland again? Nothing bad with that, or is there? There is. You're gonna go through the same turns that you've seen in previous races, they're just put together in a different order than before.

Fancy some freestyle driving with Ken Block at your back? Don't worry, he's not gonna give you any proper advice on how to drive. His role there is just to add a little diversity to the annoying voices you're going to be hearing every time you want to race, every time you finish a race and every time you're trying to click your way through the annoyingly put together menu. Transitions in the menu take so long that you're gonna spend 20 seconds clicking through, loading excluded, before you even get to get a go at a 90 second race.

The game has a hotkey for uploading your races to YouTube. No idea who came up with that feature, but you're gonna be reminded of it every second race: 'That was great, Amigo! You should put it on YouTube'. Time developing this 'feature' would have been much better spent building real rally courses.
  7. Jul 9, 2011
    Rally tracks are very short and not challenging in the slightest - and theres only a hand full of locations repeated and mirrored. This is pandering to console games another great franchise ruined to accommodate for idiots. All that gymkana stuff is silly. Waste of money. Stick to dirt 1.
  8. Sep 2, 2011
    Good Graphics, but that's about it. Poor handling ( even with a driving force GT wheel ).
    Unfortunately even the pure rally stages are just that, single stages not a complete rally.
    Lots of gimmicky races ( trucks on ice ) no real depth to the game.
  9. Jan 10, 2012
    They butchered this game in my opinion. DiRt 2 was awesome, it felt like its own game. Then they bring out DiRt 3 with GRID's menu system which killed the nice interactive menus. The main thing that kept me playing DiRt 2 non-stop was the excitement, the pure enjoyment I got from it. DiRt 3 failed to keep me interested for longer than a few hours. It feels cold, and dull in comparison to Dirt 2. Very disappointed, I was really looking forward to a new DiRt game but this just reminded me that you can't trust a game just because of its title. Bring back the old DiRt 2 style! 3/10. Expand
  10. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is actually semi-fun WHEN IT WORKS. The Live Login system is completely hindering this game from being enjoyed. Much of the content in the game is MISSING because they expect you to pay for it after BUYING the game. THIS GAME IS A PAIN TO TRY TO PLAY AND OFTEN WILL NOT LET YOU PLAY YOUR SAVED GAMES. VERY LIMITED GAMEPLAY LEAVES YOU WANTING MORE WHEN YOU CAN PLAY IT.
  11. Mar 25, 2013
    Far from being a great rally game like Richard Burns but was pretty ok until you hit the Gymkhana crap. I hate when game sell a type of game and then suddenly adds crap that you can't even avoid... Tried it, got annoyed with it and never played it again. a 3 matches perfectly with Dirt 3. It's an arcade game for young kids who like to show off just like in real life with there ridiculous tuning, great for the little ones who just know a game pad, real sim drivers have g25 and g27 wheels and like precision. it get's undrivable at the state you have to do gymkhana kids stuff. Expand
  12. Dec 31, 2012
    DiRT 3's greatest flaw is its controls. If you're a wheel enthusiast, pass on this game and don't look back. Lethargic counter-steering and incredible understeering/oversteering problems persist with wheel use despite changes in settings etc. Not helping DiRT 3's cause is its schizophrenic nature--the game can't decide if it's arcade or simulator.

The graphics are impressive as are
    the sounds but if you want that plus the ability to actually control your car while driving, opt for DiRT Showdown instead. Expand
  13. Dec 2, 2011
    I started playing this game, and I was not really enjoying it, it has a nasty arcade style to it, the cars handle like something you would expect from a need for speed game, the tracks are very artificial and straightforward, no hidden surprises and very plain scenery and are incredibly short about 1:30 to finish a race(compaired to dirt 1 the rally s lasted around 5-6 mins.) , played the game for about 2 hours and was getting very bored of it, I then came across the drifting discipline which annoyed me because it is utterly pointless, after that I discovered the car gymnasium thing, that was the final straw, I un-installed the game after that. I thought this game was about rallying? instead I find some crappy american sport.
    I never played dirt 2 because I knew it was everything I didn't want in a racing game, but I did play dirt 1 and it is the best motor sport game I have ever played, that's why I bought dirt 3 because they said that they bought rallying back, but all I can see is something in between.
    Ever since Collin Mcrae passed away Codemasters rallying games have gone downhill.
    So if your looking for a good rallying game/sim Collin Mcrae Dirt is the way to go.
  14. May 24, 2011
    Disaapointing. :/ The graphics are indeed better, but there's just something off about it. It feels rushed. Like they didnt put much SOUL into it. Unlike Dirt 2, that whole game just wanted you to step out of the trailer and hang out. Then there's the issue of controls. The car's too responsive! One tap on the analog stick will send you spinning out. It's really sad. Was expecting a game that was either on par or better than Dirt 2, got something that feels like it was made in 2001 instead. Expand
  15. May 29, 2011
    This is not a race, it's sliding, rotation, and all garbage.
    1. Single-game stupid and not interesting.
    2. Multiplayer game saves the game a little bit.
    Dirt 3 is not a complete game, this add-on to Dirt 2. Expensive add-on.
  16. Aug 27, 2011
    Those which are saying that this game has realistic controls, i think that they have never played a racing game.I liked dirt 2 very much.But this game is a setback for the codemasters.Poor graphics,poor performance,poor controls.It is totaly a piece of ****
  17. Nov 20, 2011
    this game it took 12GB to download of my internet and did not work and it finished my internet limit what and it filled MY PC with JUNK what a waste of time and asked support for help and did not get reply :(
  18. Jan 6, 2012
    This is not Colin Mcrae anymore. I know in the game must be new something, but in this Dirt 3 is like 10% rally. And more funny stuff is, that the maps is all the same. I am disappointed. I want true rally with lots of maps and rally. If you have more then 50% rally in the game, and more maps, that it is a true rally.
  19. Jan 1, 2013
    Obligatory 0 for using Games for Windows Live AND SecuROM! Twice the DRM for twice the fail. GfWL is Microsoft's attempt to kill PC gaming in favor of the Xbox. And SecuROM limits the number of times the game can be installed. Clearly, this publisher is incompetent. I'm not letting this malware bomb near my PC. There might be something worth playing under the DRM, but I'd have to pirate it to find out. Expand
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    Quite fun game but i personaly got dissapointed by rather small number of cars (especially in 60s-2000s ) class gamepaly is fun,multiplayer is fun but i also have to agree that dirt 2 seems better
  21. Aug 29, 2013
    I created an account here just so I could leave a review of Dirt 3. I have it on PC and use a keyboard for controls. I bought the game about 8 months ago at the beginning of the year. I played it for like several days and lost total interest and went back to playing NFS Most Wanted 2012 which I have about 400 hours on in the 8 months I've also owned it. I just went back and decided to give Dirt 3 a second chance. I hate it. If you think driving various vehicles that feel as if they have bald tires, no grip, no traction, and driving on ice is fun then this game is definitely for you. There is no road feel or grip to the road at all. Well, maybe a smidgen. There were a couple of tracks that I started to get the hang of, a little, and then tried the off road trucks in Aspen, well, that was a total joke, zero traction or control. Then I tried the trucks again but in "Smelter" (I think its called) thinking to get off the ice and snow and onto dirt and the exact same loss of control was still evident. I've raced motorcycles off road for many years and this game makes me think that it's designers have no clue as to what traction is. They designed the game so that you must get used to the squirlly feel and somehow master that in order to simply drive the vehicle where you want. Get used to a long learning curve...me, I say forget it, the game sucks and isn't worth my valuable time to figure out the stupid ass driving dynamics. Last Dirt or Codemasters game I'll ever buy. Expand
  22. Jan 27, 2014
    I feel Im getting punked, right now my issue is that I can`t get it to run in full screen mode although I went into the system files and changed the fullscreen mod to true from false. before that I had the hassle to make an account so I can play this game on games for windows live, WTF? I play games for having fun, not to be harassed and frustrated.

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Looks like Codemasters really struggled with DiRT 3, piece by piece cutting everything that could have saved this game from going off the cliff.
  2. Jul 14, 2011
    Tremendously fun and mostly pothole free, this gorgeous and flexible off-roader has something for every driving fan. [Sept 2011, p.70]
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    Not quite the inspired sequel we had all hoped for, but there's still enough in DiRT 3 to bring the fans back. [Aug 2011, p.96]