• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Jul 13, 2010
5.1

1. Oct 20, 2010
    Goodness. What a panning. There appears to be a great deal of comparison to HOMM 5, which, if you adore cartoon-like WOW-stylised graphics, may be more your taste. Scrap that - if you like that visual style, play 'Kings Bounty'. Disciples 3 is a different animal - often gritty and beautiful, if busy, and takes risks by amending some gameplay elements (as opposed to HOMM 5 which retracts features and stagnates the formula). The battles are no more slow-paced than in HOMM or KB. It's recommended to switch the movement speeds up and turn off 'cinematic camera', which is twitchy. Indeed, there are translation issues and terrible dubbing, and the tutorials are confused. Slap-dash. However I doubt very much that the story was the reason we all played HOMM, or that many will care about tutorial implementation, and instead just jump into the main campaign. We play TBS's because of their 'just-one-more-turn' addictive nature of game-play, which still remains here. To be clear - I award 10 as an effort in re-balancing. I would give 7 now and 9 when the Editor and the Dwarf & Undead races are released. HOMM can't touch the visual flair of Disciples. I have encountered no technical issues with this game. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2010
    The graphics and their artwork is nice but the storyline are messy a bit like repetitive...and very length-ly mission.....when i play for a long time....i was got bored and stops playing it.
    The gameplay looks ok but the hero that you recruited like example when i use "legend of the damned"
    i might recruit Duke.....but when you finished the mission , your recruited army will gone and all
    items and level will be gone too....WTH!
    And last thing is the game has too much bug since the release of russians version of this game.....

Oh, one more thing is too much bugs......
    I don`t know about it but when i played
  3. Sep 14, 2010
    Boring. Nice graphics, interesting balancing, but combat requires nothing apart from an initial tactical composition of your army. And is then repeated way too often per mission - combat is slow-paced and incredibly boring. If you want a HoMM-clone that is unique and challenging and refreshing, you would do much better to look at the King's Bounty installments where combat is fresh and fun.
    Facit: Boring combat, poor storywriting, stay away.
  4. Jan 19, 2013
    Before i bought Disciples 3, i never in my wildest dreams would have thought it would be bad enough to make me want to uninstall it so i could re-install Disciples 2.

Unfortunately, that`s EXACTLY how bad this unoriginal borefest was.

Basically, everything that gave D2 any fun and replay value was ripped out in D3 for the sake of making the environment ''prettier'' and so the level
    designer wouldn`t have to work as hard.

You can no longer import your hero.

The battles have been reduced to a level of boringness (word or not, it works here) i didn`t previously think possible.

Every map is the exact same rinse and repeat scenario of: take a low level hero with low level units and build them up only to have to start all over again once you complete the mission.......except with a different story each time. yay.

Don`t buy it. Don`t even look at it. And if you feel the need to troll the crap out of Kalypso for releasing such an unfinished, unoriginal, and lackluster piece of **** as D3: tell them i sent you.

And what appeared to be of purest silver turned suddenly to rust. And all who had invested in it wept, as they had been decieved.......
  5. Sep 11, 2010
    I didn't knew Disciples and decided for a change to try a new RPG, and bought Disciples 3.
    First bad news I read the inside descriptions of the box, turn by turn battles... I hope it won't be boring...
    Then I install it and after a very long wait, and a stunning 3D view of some falls as a menu... here comes a completely dull and stupid turn by turn adventure... have you tried counting
    your step during a whole day? here it's just like that, just image the hero may count it's steps when going to pee...
    But then, taking a deep breath and trying to go on... let's go to some castle (while the tutorial is bugging me with tutorial interface and video for explaining the interface) I think the developpers never thought about making a modern interface... but then I figure out the castle is just around 21 steps (3 turns) from the initial position... okay, middle mouse button to start spinning the so called 3D... conversation comes with a NPC... just to say it's just images and text... don't expect any immersion... I would rather read a book there... but you know what? BUG... no more mouse because the animation did not tolerate me using the interface while a conversation came to appear.
    After reading other critics I decide to get the game back to the reseller. END OF STORY
  6. Oct 14, 2011
    Not only they changed the simple but great battle system of Disciples II to a bad mix of Kings Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic, but also the game looks bad, its boring and one cannot find any motivation to play it. Big disappointment.
  7. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is TERRIBLE. How the hell they could ruin such great idea of Disciples 2 all we wanted is same Disciples 2 with new graphics, new plot and new campains, and what did we get Very buggy and weak HoMM-style clone with stupid plot and awful voicing. Why the hell they even spend money to produce such rubbish
  8. Apr 20, 2012
    This game is insultingly incomplete. Scenarios are buggy and the AI gets downright abusive, doing things like ambushing your party from just offscreen (on the very first level, no less!). Even if the many bugs and generally sloppy coding were fixed (which they won't be, as support has been officially discontinued as of this writing), there's not much here to like. The storyline and levels are formulaic, as other reviewers have pointed out. Futhermore, two of the classic Disciples races (Undead Hordes and Mountain Clans) have been eliminated, only one of which was restored by later expansion. This barely-beta-ready mess comes as even worse, following the absolutely stellar Disciples 2. Expand
  9. Jan 14, 2011
    I registered to the critics portion of this site just to crap on this terri-bad game. Its pretty bad when you can go through a whole level selecting the auto battle option for every fight, and win every time. Sometimes i would move a weaker unit to the back, let a couple turns pass, THEN click auto battle so that unit didnt die-wow so challenging. Whats left when you cant even enjoy the battles? After about 3 hours when the pretty graphics arent enough to hold interest, you have nothing...NOTHING. This isnt a game, this is like a shiny lock box with dirt inside. Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2011
    The game has nice graphics so its wows at first but then all new games do. The gameplay get very old very fast, the champaings are half decent and utilize the castle building but the custom games are just crap, the maps are way to small with next to no choice. theres equiptment for heroes yet buying and upgrading it is such a minor thing its not worth doing so why did they even bother. this is so much not done in this game to compensate for its graphics, this game is a prime example of the **** games companies are bringing out simply for cash Expand
  11. Aug 15, 2011
    The game is full of bugs and other technical issues and despite this it still could be pretty enjoyable if not the ridiculously retarded AI. Enemy's actions doesn't make any sense at all. Both in strategic and in tactical modes AI acting like the devs have forgotten to teach it how to play.
    Not worth a buy.
  12. Oct 9, 2011
    Disciples III may be the most polished turd in the history of gaming. Beautiful artwork on the menus, decent hand-drawn backgrounds, might have you believe you are about to play a quality game. You might even start to believe it when you open up the build screen and see more pretty artwork and a selection of ways to improve your army and your minions. The crushing moment comes when you have your first battle and realize all you do is click on the bad guys... your creature comes up in to rotation, left click. That's it. That's the game. There is even an auto mode that saves you the problem of having to left click at all, you can just watch. And watch you will because there is no way to speed it up or exit the fight. You'll enjoy countless hours of watching your entire army get slaughtered, one tediously slow animation at a time. Or maybe your army will be super powerful and you still have sit and watch these painfully long boring battles; (where you do nothing remember?) because everything has over 9000hp and requires countless rounds to slowly whittle down 10 health bars. I don't think I've emphasized enough that the entire combat system consists of left clicking. Your dude hits for a set amount of damage be it range or melee and you can choose which enemy to attack. You can also move your units on a hex grid but there is usually no game benefit for doing so. There are no damage modifiers, or spells you can choose; you can't even directly heal units. Your only options are choosing movement or which enemy to attack, how is that even considered a game?

When you get to the part about upgrading your armies you can choose a few small trees of modifiers called buildings. Each one you own can have an effect on your armies, but there is nothing you can tangibly control during combat.

The bottom line is that this really isn't game. As a player playing a video game, I want to be able to make some sort of choices that affect the outcome. There are no meaningful choices in this game because you spend the majority of your time watching an automated process.
  13. Feb 22, 2013
    In comparison to the other Disciples games this one has for sure better graphics but it has sacrificed its dark climate and story. The fighting system is in my opinion the best one in turn-based strategies. However what holds it back is also the lack of mas to be used in both single and multiplayer, other games in this franchise had the abundance of them. There is also a serious flaw with the background being beautiful but not accessible. For this reason the game feels awfully scripted. The saving grace of this one is the combat system and the thematic world it is set in even if it's dulled). If you are not a fan of the series then you can definitely skip it but if you like turn-based strategies or the Neveendar then it is worth at least some of your time. Disciples 3 is just one normal game with its own ste of flaws and advantages, nothing groundbreaking. Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2010
    The game had/has real possibilities. It's just that I fear that we'll never see it. Even it's bugs has bugs. Kalypso apparently pays no attention to its own forums. Patches have been long overdue.
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    Disciples III Really isn't a horrible game.I can see how some people could like it. I'm just not one of those people. Turn-based combat is, in my opinion, one of the worst ways to execute gameplay system. There have been two games I have enjoyed with gameplay like this. Final Fantasy and the first Paper Mario. But with those games, it had feel and story. This game lacks that. Sure, the graphics are pretty good, though lacking in optimization. When I launch the game, it crashes 95% of the time due to graphics. The story is MILDLY INTRIGUING. To have a game with such gameplay it needs to be a 100% solid and interesting story. The voice acting and other audio is atrocious. Now, I can't say I didn't completely hate this game. It wasn't to my fancy. But, again, I can see how some people can like it. Expand
  16. Sep 4, 2013
    I had this game deleted on steam and forgot why. I remembered playing it and thought, "wait a second, didn't I like that game, why didn't I finish it?" So I reinstalled. Oh yeah, that's why.

It's really a fairly fun game right up until you finish the first zone and it hits you like a sack of bricks when you see that you "start over" each time you progress to the next area. And for this
    reason I finally offer up a rating. I just can't fathom this design decision. You create skill trees and spell books and buildings and a host of interesting units. And then you tell me that I can't play with them until I re-earn everything.

Guess what? I don't want to move my stupid squire around the battlefield anymore, I'm bored with him.

So unless you honestly don't mind starting over every time you progress the story, I would pass this up. Had it not been for this single design decision I would gladly have given this game an 8+/10. It's just so demoralizing to have to play with the boring units all over each time.

Imagine if you progressed to a McLaren in Gran Turismo and then you advance your career only to be told that you now have $10 again and have to drive a Sentra. The whole point of playing through the mundane part and leveling up your avatar/gear/etc is so you can have all the fun that comes with the new toys.

Whatever, I can't get over it and because of that it is once again, deleted.
  17. Dec 22, 2013
    Not bad game, but can agree that behind the game is no soul, I mean game have quite good graphics for that style, good friendly interface, but lost tons of good things from D2, no more character transfers (in D2 you can have your own character 1 from 5 for each fraction who you like more then other and who is good for your gamestyle), you're too depended on story line and starter hero no metter you play story line or regular game (you can have different heros, but they're more to def owned territory wat's so usless thing here that you'll never will have more than 2 heros: 1 main and second to bring units on controled points witch on lvl 2 can summon better units then you can buy), so manipulating with heros and units is ussless here), if you miss something in f.e. chapter 1 you can't raplay it to get this item or thing you missed, for that you must replay whole campagne, lost many of strategy things what was so important in D2, and can' have 1 your favorite hero you want to play, as I say you're too depended on hero you get on start, no map editor (not so important, but was wery good thing to create your own maps and play with friends, in co-op or vs modes) and 1 more wery important thing IT HAVE NO Multiplayer (Internet or lan), omg guys D2 have MP and D3 don't O_o are you kidding, it's just single player story depended game, and can really say story line isn't greate too, so we get boring, single player, non strategy turn based RPG type something what they called Disciples 3, with agree quite good graphic for it and good interface, city system is copy of D2 (what good more than bad). it's not Disciples I was hoping to see after so many years of waiting, but anyway can say not so bad to give it under 5pts from 10...
    Better take D2 and improve graphics, but it's HD now and much better then D3...
    Sorry for bad English...
  18. Aug 31, 2013
    Gamespot's review is pretty spot on but their rating is too low and the game certainly doesn't deserve the 0 ratings that plague metacritic. (It deserves a 6 but I gave it a bit of boost for the low ratings) It's a relative simple game though it's easy to miss features with buildings and skills.

It is fun and well-paced combat, if you like the genre. The graphics are beautiful for its
    class. The narration audio is unfitting, I would turn it off though the story really isn't there-- but the voice acting makes it even worse. If you want enjoyable combat with nice animations it's a good game. If you want a great story and a heavy strategic challenge, play something else. Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    That at least one person rated this a 0 because they did not pay attention to what they were buying is bad enough, but that the game had so many bad reviews is unjustified... The game is not perfect, not by any stretch of the imagination... But it is enjoyable and it's still got the same Disciples feel.

My only real qualm was the way that having the building bought automatically
    upgraded a unit as soon as they leveled, such as the archer who's first 'upgrade' required level 12 iirc, but a lvl 3 unit would imediately jump to level 12 when they leveled.

In my eyes, this made it a bit too easy, but largely, the game is enjoyable and well worth a try, especially as it's now dirt cheap...
  20. May 23, 2014
    Disciples 2 was perfect and genuinely original game. Disciples III is blasphemy. Bugged, slow and extremely unoriginal. Wannabe HoMM V, but worse in every aspect. Avoid at any cost.
  21. Sep 11, 2010

1. Apr 12, 2011
    For now this add-on can be recommended only to die hard fans of turn based games and people, who are naturally equipped with a high resistance to technical issues. Other players should put their purchase decision on hold until some patches arrive. And despite all this complaining, waiting would be a good decision because underneath these deficiencies lies quite a good game.
  2. Jan 5, 2011
    The idea is not bad, but it lacks all those little details that define an excellent game.
  3. Oct 27, 2010
    This is a game incredibly pleasing to play, although it becomes less and less interesting as we advance through it.