8.3

1. Jul 2, 2013
    Its interesting how over time, gamers forgot about true stealth game mechanics, challenges and rewards it brings for effort player makes in moving unseen, lurking in shadows and taking enemies with a tactician mind instead of mindlessly going around and laying waste to deaf and blind AI that this game has. Dishonored is made to let players choose to either slaughter all enemies or goingIts interesting how over time, gamers forgot about true stealth game mechanics, challenges and rewards it brings for effort player makes in moving unseen, lurking in shadows and taking enemies with a tactician mind instead of mindlessly going around and laying waste to deaf and blind AI that this game has. Dishonored is made to let players choose to either slaughter all enemies or going with simple sneaking/teleporting and choking everyone around. Though it sounds like the player has a lot of choices, the developers did a poor job combining them. The maps seems big and free to explore but when you start exploring them you will soon hit the unreachable wall even if you have powers like double jump or teleportation (blink). There are a few safes with "riddles" you need to solve to get them open, but the riddles are like 2+2=?, and you get the answer from 5 different sources on the map so its just for show. Are we too stupid to solve anything more interesting?

Every effort for player exploring the map, in hope of finding treasure that no one else of his friends found or looking for secrets that may be well hidden in those maps with multiple paths, is completely destroyed once you gain the power Night Vision (Level 2). Now this isn't the only game with "Eagle vision" overpowered "magical" view, as we all probably know that. The bad thing about those powers is that it ruins every need of player thinking for himself and spying on enemies from cover and learning their movement in order to work out a tactic for bringing them down without getting spotted. However this isn't the only problem we can see here. The AI is almost totally blind and deaf, making the game excellent for children to play, but the veteran gamers will be left completely without a challenge. You can jump behind them they will not hear you. You can drop bottles and objects 2 meters beside them and they wont hear it. You can run 10m in front of them they will not see you. Leaning from 1m from a corner in front of them, still they cant see you... There are many more unrealistic situations like these. Having set difficulty on Very Hard this is unforgivable. Another thing is that Corvo goes on almost every mission in broad daylight. The enemies react as if it isn't day but some foggy dark night. Blowing candles is just for show as the ambient lights are like 10 times more powerful then the actual light candle is emitting. This proves the so called "stealth" is made "just to be there" and doesn't have any touch with real situations, breaking any immersion you thought it had, especially for first person view. Very annoying thing is that enemies sometimes respawn after reloading a save and happen to mysteriously die and you won't get achievement at the end of the map you cleared by choking everyone. That much for stealth mechanics.

The combat itself isn't anything special. The developer Arkane Studios which made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, the game with best and most realistic combat system i've seen, could have done much better job. If you liked this combat you probably didn't play Dark Messiah, so i suggest you try it out.

You can use any power at your disposal to destroy an army of enemies, battle with your only sword you have during entire game and just bash left click or block on right click, some sword crossing that you always win and that's it. Yes that's right you don't get any new weapon from the beginning to the end. Gathering coins is a waste of time, since i had everything possible upgraded by the 50% of the game. In the end still had about 15000 unspent coins i didn't had what to use on.

The story is ok and the lore is interesting to read, there's not much to tell there. Multiple choices across whole campaign and the effects they have on the ending is always welcome. Ambient sounds are very good, as are the details of the areas.

All in all, the game is enjoyable enough to finish even if you are hardcore player like me who notices all these things badly done. Anyway don't take any review for granted, take the game and try it yourself.
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    This is a good game but not an excellent game.
    I ve played for couple of hours then i stoppped.
    Dont know why video games magazine (french) said it was the game of the decade.
    Its not in my point of view.
    If you dont have any other game to play with, u wil have pleasure but not as some bestsellers (Fallout 3, Skyrim,Bioshock Infinite)
  3. Apr 5, 2013
    This is by far one of the best titles I have played this year, although it did have its downsides which is why I give it a 7/10. Dishonored serves as something 'different' for once, and its gameplay type can only really be compared with games such as Bioshock, but even that series is very different. It was nice to play a game where the storyline wasn't typical, and with the magical powersThis is by far one of the best titles I have played this year, although it did have its downsides which is why I give it a 7/10. Dishonored serves as something 'different' for once, and its gameplay type can only really be compared with games such as Bioshock, but even that series is very different. It was nice to play a game where the storyline wasn't typical, and with the magical powers aspect of the game, it made it feel like your character, Corvo, was special compared to those around him. I found much of the game, despite its cartoon style similar to Borderlands, very eery and creepy too. The sound effects often scared the hell out of me and made me quickly check over my shoulder, and the constant solo experience makes you play the game with full attention at all times. Lastly, the ending was very nice, and I particularly liked the style of it (although I won't go into any detail for obvious spoiler reasons).

Now for the negatives...

The game was very linear. Although it had many collectibles such as runes, bone charms, ammo and paintings, it was a very small world. I often found that searching for collectibles was too easy with the beating heart utility you're given which tells you where all runes and bone charms are. It was also very obvious which paths you were supposed to take to reach your destination, and although you were given a choice between going through sewers, fighting off each enemy or using the rooftops, the level of choice didn't seem overly great. Dishonored was also a very short game considering the price I paid for it. There's no real replay-ability with this game, and without multiplayer too. I felt like the game should have been £15 instead of £25+ at the time for what it's worth. One thing to note however is that I rushed this game, not collecting all the items that I could of, and pretty much just running into combat rather than stealth every time. The last negative was the auto-save feature. I have read online about this and many people agree. The auto-save wasn't the best, and you often found that when you reloaded a checkpoint after dying your were put back to a spot you were on about 10 minutes ago, and it took ages for you to get back to where you actually died. You have to manually save your game after every situation you go through in order to avoid this.

Overall a great game, just needs a lot of tweaking if they make a sequel.
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    I played this game after finishing Bioshock Infinite, and it was quite a step down. The weapons and special abilities aren't as much fun and the gameworld doesn't compare. I had expected a lot more from Bethesda, the company that brought us great games like Skyrim and Fallout. I found the controls to be unintuitive at best and maddeningly wonky at worst. CTL isn't crouch, E isn't theI played this game after finishing Bioshock Infinite, and it was quite a step down. The weapons and special abilities aren't as much fun and the gameworld doesn't compare. I had expected a lot more from Bethesda, the company that brought us great games like Skyrim and Fallout. I found the controls to be unintuitive at best and maddeningly wonky at worst. CTL isn't crouch, E isn't the USE key, and remapping the keyboard isn't a very good solution either.

Overall, it's certainly not the worst game of the year, I just expected more from Bethesda. I really wanted to like it.
  5. May 21, 2013
    Il grande mistero del giornalismo specializzato, grande da coinvolgere quasi tutte le testate a tutte le latitudini. Un gioco di assoluta evanescenza che si becca uno score del 9.2. Un mistero cosi profondo che metto in dubbio il mio senso critico, quasi colpevolizzandomi di non aver saputo apprezzare questo "capolavoro conclamato e osannato, ma poi ragiono sulla cosa... Storia scrittaIl grande mistero del giornalismo specializzato, grande da coinvolgere quasi tutte le testate a tutte le latitudini. Un gioco di assoluta evanescenza che si becca uno score del 9.2. Un mistero cosi profondo che metto in dubbio il mio senso critico, quasi colpevolizzandomi di non aver saputo apprezzare questo "capolavoro conclamato e osannato, ma poi ragiono sulla cosa... Storia scritta sulla carta igienica, giocabilità...si varia, con varianti fini a se stesse, grafica in stile ma brutto, o quantomeno poco originale, e finale da canna del gas. Mi fermo qui in osservanza alla vecchia saggezza popolare Mai troppe parole alla mediocrità. Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2013
    Dishonored fills the niche of what could be considered a sandbox stealth game. Very few game series try to fill this niche. It is hard for a company to make this kind of game right. The studio making this game knew what they were doing, but whoever was in charge of releasing the game did not. Dishored has a extremely atmospheric and rich game world, that is not easily forgotten. WhileDishonored fills the niche of what could be considered a sandbox stealth game. Very few game series try to fill this niche. It is hard for a company to make this kind of game right. The studio making this game knew what they were doing, but whoever was in charge of releasing the game did not. Dishored has a extremely atmospheric and rich game world, that is not easily forgotten. While playing the game, you are allowed to read many of the small notes and books that have been placed around the game world. These stories immerse you in the game world and make the world seem believable. On top of this, you can hide in the dark shadows and listen to the conversations of the characters in the world, each giving a small back story and even opening up more to the plot. Every level in the world has been carefully handcrafted to feel real and allow for the player to finish it however they please. The game however is marred by short length and repetitive game play. The game itself can be considered a cross between Bioshock (Plasmids) and Thief (The game world and sneaking) both extremely good games. Dishonored however, falters in its application of the game mechanics taken from these two. In Bioshock, you were given many different plasmids that could be upgraded to do multiple things. In Dishonored, an upgrade to one of your skills usually only results in it being "better," such as only teleporting farther or seeing more. Bioshock also had multiple weapons that could be picked up in the world, such as revolver, shotgun, machine gun etc. In Dishonored, you are limited to your sword and pistol, dulling the game. Along with this fault, Dishonored is not at all difficult or long. On my speed run going guns blazing, it only took me a few hours to see it through. In conclusion, the game is by no means bad. If you want the most out of your game, pick the game up on sale and play it through on the hardest difficulty, on a pacifist run, taking in as much of the game world as you possibly can. If the studio had more time to develop more levels and more game play mechanics, the game would be much higher rated for me. Expand
  7. Sep 19, 2013
    Since the 'sneak em up' genre rarely sees many new additions I was quite excited for the release of this game. While it's a welcome addition to the genre a new 'Thief' it is not. The story is rather predictable and the 'chaos' rating of the city is a strange way to go about implementing some sort of morality system. The player is generally overpowered even on higher difficulty settingsSince the 'sneak em up' genre rarely sees many new additions I was quite excited for the release of this game. While it's a welcome addition to the genre a new 'Thief' it is not. The story is rather predictable and the 'chaos' rating of the city is a strange way to go about implementing some sort of morality system. The player is generally overpowered even on higher difficulty settings and the range of available powers heavily favors players who want to chop their way through the game rather than relying on nonviolent methods. The atmosphere, while good does not rival that of the progenitor of the sneak em up genre 'Thief'. However there are many notes, books, and letters that flesh out the history of the world. The graphics which I don't consider to be that important are fine, but nothing to write home about given what can be done with modern graphics technology. The game contains only 10-15 hours of gameplay so I'd suggest getting it for 10-15 dollars to maximize the bang for your gaming buck. Expand
  8. Dec 6, 2013
    Sadly, Dishonored feels like nothing but wasted opportunity to me. This is totally personified by the upgrade system or lack there of.

This upgrade system leads into the next issue I have which is the "collectibles" aren't exactly optional, these come in the form of "Runes" and "Bone Charms" Runes being a currency for your upgrades, bone charms allowing you minor upgrades, these so called collectibles are completely negated when you are given a utility known as the heart. This points out any one of these collectibles in the area no matter your proximity. I'll bet the designers who had to hide those collectibles were pissed when the gadget designers added the heart...

The story is average although there's a twist you'll see a mile and a half away. Character development in this story is minimum which I've come to expect from most triple A games. You'll know who the main baddie's going to be before the word dastardly can slip through your lips.

Gameplay has the usual stealth/stab-em up gameplay, get behind an enemy stab them. Dishonored DOES try to mix this up but falls at the first hurdle and knocks out it's teeth as it add's powers.(gifted by a mysterious being known as "The Outsider" who stirs some intrigue but then doesn't amount to anything but a narration/exposition vessel) These powers seem to completely break the stealthy pacing there should be in stealth games as the first power you're given allows you to warp up behind any enemy and stab them. A lot of the upgrades seem to be fairly useless as well, the only ones you really need is the aforementioned "Blink" warp spell, and the "Possession" spell which is self explanatory really. It allows you to possess an animal and at level two a human.

The level design is strange as it tries to trick you into thinking that the level is larger than it actually is by giving you multiple routes, which are the usual stealth game cliches of vents, front door, rooftops.

The game also decides to throw in a morality system which will completely up the way you play, making you load up a save because you accidentally killed someone and that might make you get the bad ending. This in turn ruins the gameplay feel that I think Arkane were going for, the type of gameplay that can jump from stealth to combat in an instant, this is definitely the case with some of the items and upgrades such as spring razors and clockwork grenades, as well as the "Blend time" spell which allows you to slow down or entirely stop time at the cost of a lot of mana. This morality system is also thrown in with "Special actions" which aren't so special at all really as they don't seem to affect the outcome of the ending, a character will mention it to you once right after you've done it and it will never haunt you again.

Finally, the pacing of the game is what really kills it for me, as like many games at the moment, it sends you back to a hub area at the end of each mission to buy upgrades and items, this felt completely unneeded as there is actually some stores in the mission areas that can't upgrade anything.(Blatantly so you'll have to wait to go back the hub) I feel this may be to drag out run-time as it clocks in at a rather short 10-12 hours (WITH most collectibles as I began to rush near the end as I was getting bored.)

Dishonored gains a 6/10 for me as it can clearly be seen the devs were trying, and under the stress of a new IP they could have possibly been rushed a bit. I feel if a sequel is made all issues will be ironed out and the devs might even try to innovate instead of play it safe.
  9. Jan 24, 2014
    Finally! A stealth game that people who are bad at stealth games can really sink their teeth into. After only a couple of hours of gameplay, you will have access to several abilities that will allow you to completely and totally outclass any NPC in the game without even a modicum of careful playing. Gone are the days where you would need to watch NPC routines to come up with a solutionFinally! A stealth game that people who are bad at stealth games can really sink their teeth into. After only a couple of hours of gameplay, you will have access to several abilities that will allow you to completely and totally outclass any NPC in the game without even a modicum of careful playing. Gone are the days where you would need to watch NPC routines to come up with a solution to proceed unseen through an area. This game cleverly allows you to cut out all of that waiting nonsense and teleport, render yourself invisible, see through walls, kill NPCs and have their bodies instantly disappear, and if you still manage to get spotted, you can always stop time and just waltz right past any enemies while playing a trombone. This is the perfect stealth game for anyone who is sick and tired of all the skill and strategy required by most games of this genre. Expand
  10. Feb 25, 2014
    This game isn't terrible any means its just tedious and dull. The main character corvo has got to be the most uninteresting protagonist ever created. The game does nothing to motivated you to care about any of the characters at all. The combat system is decent. You can use firearms special abilities and your sword but that too get boring rather quickly like the stealth aspect does. TheThis game isn't terrible any means its just tedious and dull. The main character corvo has got to be the most uninteresting protagonist ever created. The game does nothing to motivated you to care about any of the characters at all. The combat system is decent. You can use firearms special abilities and your sword but that too get boring rather quickly like the stealth aspect does. The game does give you choices in how to navigate to your target and how to eliminate your target but that's the only freedom you really get... the levels are small areas you can travel but you won't find anything interesting anyway. The game is definitely too linear for my tastes.. its a good thing I bought this game when it was on sale. Expand
  11. Sep 8, 2014
    Most of people tell that this game is a great game, but I’m not most of the people. This game is average but very entertaining after a rather dull start. I did like the art style, the scenery, characters, voice acting but the plot here is shallow at best so it kind of ruins it for me. I at least have heard this same old story repeated many times over the years so this game felt like everyMost of people tell that this game is a great game, but I’m not most of the people. This game is average but very entertaining after a rather dull start. I did like the art style, the scenery, characters, voice acting but the plot here is shallow at best so it kind of ruins it for me. I at least have heard this same old story repeated many times over the years so this game felt like every other on this genre.

When playing the game I just felt like playing a good Half Life 2 Mod but not a real full game, there is something missing and I don’t know what it is to tell you the truth. Perhaps I am just too picky on these things but I think that the magnificent world and lore they created for this game deserves better story or perhaps it could have kept the same story but told it in more interesting manner.

My opinion is that this game is not bad at all but it isn’t exactly as great as some people claim it to be. However I have to say that the gameplay mechanics work and the character moves as player intends so there is one thing definitely done right here. I would recommend this game to anybody interested in the genre but at the same time I’m telling you all that this game packaged as it is, is not for everybody including me. Last but not least I truly hope that there will be a sequel to this and it would focus more on some elements of this mysterious world and make the story more interesting at the same time.
  12. Jun 23, 2014
    This game is definitely up there. But it's not for everyone. I personally did not like the OP zapping and possessing abilities that the game so readily gives to you near the beginning. The story is also very shallow, and I couldn't keep my interest invested in it. It's still got good gameplay mechanics. And I still enjoyed zapping from the shadows to knock someone out then zap back. But IThis game is definitely up there. But it's not for everyone. I personally did not like the OP zapping and possessing abilities that the game so readily gives to you near the beginning. The story is also very shallow, and I couldn't keep my interest invested in it. It's still got good gameplay mechanics. And I still enjoyed zapping from the shadows to knock someone out then zap back. But I feel it was missing a few things. I wouldn't recommend a buy without some research on whether you'd truly like it or not first. If you see this game and you're not feeling it, chances are you shouldn't buy it. Expand
  13. Jul 22, 2014
    Good story, good game play, well balanced stealth and promising playing time for a single player game. I've deducted points because of very long books and notes you'll find in game, which most probably you won't read because of the lenght; and number of bugs. In addition to that, game becomes repetitive fairly quickly. If you have time to waste, I can recommend it. If you are looking forGood story, good game play, well balanced stealth and promising playing time for a single player game. I've deducted points because of very long books and notes you'll find in game, which most probably you won't read because of the lenght; and number of bugs. In addition to that, game becomes repetitive fairly quickly. If you have time to waste, I can recommend it. If you are looking for something more serious fun, pass it. After 2nd mission, everything else is rinse & repeat. Expand
  14. Sep 2, 2014
    I finally picked up this game at one of the Steam-sales, and while I had heard a lot of great things about the game, I had my doubts. Considering it's cheap price nowadays, its a bargain. The game is really good, especially if you take the price you pay for it at present day in consideration. There really is no reason not to get it if you have even the slightest of interest in FPS-games.I finally picked up this game at one of the Steam-sales, and while I had heard a lot of great things about the game, I had my doubts. Considering it's cheap price nowadays, its a bargain. The game is really good, especially if you take the price you pay for it at present day in consideration. There really is no reason not to get it if you have even the slightest of interest in FPS-games.

The main problem I had with the game was that the first ability you get (the teleport one) was also the ability I used for the majority of times troughout the game. You can possess animals (and later people) and summon rats, but I found myself only using the other abilities once or twice during my playthrough. I am not entirely blaming the game here, since I could have used the other abilities more, but they are'nt really required. The game also has a lack of side-quests in my opinion. The maps are quite big and there are many different paths you can take, but there only really is a main goal (or one side-goal, which usually is on the way towards your main one). These two things combined made me loose some of the interest in tackling the game in a different way, and left me just plowing through the last fourth of the game to finish up the story-element, not even caring about the runes or effiges, since I never really used them anyway. Sneaking by a guard by possessing a rat might be fun one time, but when you realize it's just way faster and safer to teleport past them, you end up rarely using anything else.

Again, this is my personal experience with the game, other people may absolutely tinker with the other abilities and explore many other possibilities, but I couldn't really keep up enough interest to do that, which is a minus in my book.

Other than that, it is a really solid game. The story is good, and the options in which you can tackle the missions is a fun feature, which adds some future replayability.
  15. Oct 1, 2014
    I really liked the gameplay and level design..............but the setting just got too "dark" for me. I am not easily offended, but I just hated how many gross corpses you found all over the place - after a while I just didn't like how I felt when I played the game.

I did really appreciate the effort the producers made where you can play the game without killing anyone - that was really cool.
  16. Oct 8, 2014
    Highly overrated.
    Most of all, the whole story is just bland.
    What is worse, you can see the story advances only in intermissions, not in missions. That makes the stealth-play extremely booooooring. Or you can slaughter everything on. But it's not really on par with the full-pledged action games. It's just ok. You better play a real action game rather than this mediocre action
    Highly overrated.
    Most of all, the whole story is just bland.
    That makes the stealth-play extremely booooooring.

Or you can slaughter everything on.
    But it's not really on par with the full-pledged action games.
    It's just ok. You better play a real action game rather than this mediocre action game.

I don't think it's a bad game. But then again, it's not a masterpiece either.
  17. Nov 24, 2014
    It's a stealth FPS which follows the path of Corvo, who is wrongly accused of murdering the empress. So begins your journey through a vivid, interesting steam-punk world.

Anyone into the Thief games or stealth in general will find something to like here. This game however, also features an impressive ability set of "magical" powers that you can acquire through runes and bone charms throughout the game. Some of these completely change the way you approach situations and are most welcome additions.

The only thing I was not to keen on was this "choice" you have over low or high chaos (stealth and not killing anyone or slaughtering everyone in your path). The game keeps on telling you to not kill people if you want the "good" ending, yet by doing so you miss out on some of the most fun powers and mechanics in the game. It's saying, here is an arsenal of cool stuff, but don't use them.

Anyway, a great game in most respects that I would recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  18. Jan 7, 2015
    I will start by saying that this game is heavily overrated. It is not bad by any means, but it lacks fundamental features of what I would call newer generation of PC games. Dishonored heavily resemble Half Life 2. In fact, I would with certainty assume that it runs on the same engine as HL2. This would be good thing if game was released 10 years ago, but today, it's severely degraded inI will start by saying that this game is heavily overrated. It is not bad by any means, but it lacks fundamental features of what I would call newer generation of PC games. Dishonored heavily resemble Half Life 2. In fact, I would with certainty assume that it runs on the same engine as HL2. This would be good thing if game was released 10 years ago, but today, it's severely degraded in terms of visuals, and game mechanics. As result of this alone, this game should not be rated 10. To make things worse, Devs attempted to make the look of the game resemble something from Monet's painting, with blurry, paint-brush defined environment, but it was not done right, so the game looks more like low res game from 15yrs ago. In addition, most defining objects, including people are low-poly models which when combined with blurry textures make the game look even worse. Even if you invest hrs in searching for graphical config settings online, you will find out that results will be nearly the same as vanilla. For me, it is impossible to gain the sense of immersion, which I can get easily when playing HL2. Even today, ten years after its release. The s.c. stealth aspect is nearly not existing. Yes, your character can crouch and hide in the shadow, but the mechanism of detection is not as nearly good as what you find in the new versions of stealth games. On positive side, the game is very solid, and no crushes or issues with performance. The story line is interesting, and may be the only reason why you would want to try it. That is if you can overcome the horrible visuals and lack of depth of the first person interaction you so often experience in newer games. If this game had visuals, animations and mechanics, appropriate for new generation of games, I would give it 8. Expand
  19. Jun 21, 2014
    OK action/stealth game. Way overrated by the critic reviews in my opinion. The game doesn't really bring anything new to the genre, the story is OK at best and the graphics are a bit so so at times.
  20. Jun 22, 2014
    I was looking forward to buy this game when on a Steam discount, expecting it to be something like a steampunkt Deus Ex, but it turned out as an disappointment for me. The game looks good, the settings are lovely and original, and it's obvious there is a lot of work and polishing behind the game, but it just didn't fit my tastes too well, and I quit playing it after several hours. DunnoI was looking forward to buy this game when on a Steam discount, expecting it to be something like a steampunkt Deus Ex, but it turned out as an disappointment for me. The game looks good, the settings are lovely and original, and it's obvious there is a lot of work and polishing behind the game, but it just didn't fit my tastes too well, and I quit playing it after several hours. Dunno what is wrong with the game, but somehow the game play isn't fun for me. Still obviously a well made game that can be fun for many others. Expand

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]