8.3

1. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored is a Masterpiece. Yes, I capitalized Masterpiece for a reason. The controls are intuitive and abilities are a blast. The story is engaging and your decisions have heart twinging consequences. The environments are moody and creative. Very rarely do we see such high production quality in video games. Dishonored is a perfect example of video games as art.
  2. Nov 24, 2012
    I loved the look of the game from the time I saw the first trailers. The gameplay is a good mix of Assasin's Creed and Bioshock. Stylewise it looks like something straight out of China Mieville's New Crobuzon. Great game.
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    It is a good game that is in line with much of my thoughts.Indeed im looking for a game just like it:better a huge world(although the dunwall city can not be called big),the several ways to complete the quests for players to choose freely(here i have sth. to say,since the game developers come up with this cool idea the collection of coins is not very good,u know i have to seek everywhereIt is a good game that is in line with much of my thoughts.Indeed im looking for a game just like it:better a huge world(although the dunwall city can not be called big),the several ways to complete the quests for players to choose freely(here i have sth. to say,since the game developers come up with this cool idea the collection of coins is not very good,u know i have to seek everywhere to find those coins,that is somewhat insane) ,and a story has connotation.To the other developers i think the last point is the hardest except Rockstars,2K games,and bethesda.But the styles of the other 2 companies are not correspond to the sneak games and their games lack degrees of freedom somewhat.
    I'm really looking forward to the sequels of dishonored and bethesda thinks too.Oh,thats really cool!Forgive me for the poor english as im a chinese.
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    "Dishonored" by Arkane Studios is a game that keeps you hooked until the very end, but at that very end it lets you wandering "Couldn't they have wrapped it better?". In other words, the sentence "This game should be Game of the Year" was engraved in my mind on the 12 plus hours I spent in Dunwall, but once the end credits started to roll I was left with a strange feeling of distaste. The"Dishonored" by Arkane Studios is a game that keeps you hooked until the very end, but at that very end it lets you wandering "Couldn't they have wrapped it better?". In other words, the sentence "This game should be Game of the Year" was engraved in my mind on the 12 plus hours I spent in Dunwall, but once the end credits started to roll I was left with a strange feeling of distaste. The story that seemed so thrilling and original ends up underdeveloped, the characters that have so great potential end up being but a shadow of the promise they casted during my gameplay.

"Dishonored" is a great game, with great gameplay mechanics and options to scavenge and traverse through various routes of this otherwise linear experience. The thrill of this game is not where you go, but rather how you get there. The universe in which Corvo Attano resides and takes his path to vengeance (be it bloody or benign) ends up delivering poorly to the high expectations set by Zenimax's PR, but it IS something you want to experience and something you will regret having to leave so abruptly.
  5. Jan 4, 2013
    This game is just one of those ground-breaking games that comes around every now and then. You can beat it, play it again, and then play it again, even though you are still following the same story, with variations here and there. It is a fine mix of skill, story, and choice, which is very, very rare in today's gaming world. And to hajducek, you should try playing the expert mode. Not soThis game is just one of those ground-breaking games that comes around every now and then. You can beat it, play it again, and then play it again, even though you are still following the same story, with variations here and there. It is a fine mix of skill, story, and choice, which is very, very rare in today's gaming world. And to hajducek, you should try playing the expert mode. Not so easy eh? I am so glad this game was created and hope to see more of it in the future. I would probably give it a 98/100. Expand
  6. Jan 6, 2013
    This is my first review on metacritic, and really my first review of a video game at all. I've been a gamer for the last 20 yrs and rarely has a game sparked my enjoyment as much as this game has. I am primarily a pc gamer and recently have been using steam to purchase games for a discount. Most games I feel are not worth the $50-60 price tag for a variety of reasons. Dishonored is oneThis is my first review on metacritic, and really my first review of a video game at all. I've been a gamer for the last 20 yrs and rarely has a game sparked my enjoyment as much as this game has. I am primarily a pc gamer and recently have been using steam to purchase games for a discount. Most games I feel are not worth the $50-60 price tag for a variety of reasons. Dishonored is one of those games I feel is worse the full price. What it does it does really well. The controls are smooth, on the pc I haven't encountered any bugs, and the gameplay is phenomenal. I think the look and feel is really similar to bioshock and that Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is so fantastically glorious that I hardly know where to begin. It's style of play is similar to that of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (another great title). Each of the many styles of combat are fun, and there are a ton of ways to experiment with the combat here. The story is excellent, and every bit as immersive as the gameplay. One of the best things about this game is that theThis game is so fantastically glorious that I hardly know where to begin. It's style of play is similar to that of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (another great title). Each of the many styles of combat are fun, and there are a ton of ways to experiment with the combat here. The story is excellent, and every bit as immersive as the gameplay. One of the best things about this game is that the choices you make, as well as how you handle conflicts, have a huge impact on the final outcome. If you see this title on sale, definitely get it. And if you don't, you should probably go ahead and get it anyway. Expand
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    It was a long time since I last played a well-structured game like this. The silent character is unfit for anyone who can't totally immerse himself in a character, i know, but Corvo was great, his feelings quite clear at the end without a single word spoken (at least fr me, but maybe it's just my practice with D&D not so power-player chars)...the rest, is just for the player. Awesome, itIt was a long time since I last played a well-structured game like this. The silent character is unfit for anyone who can't totally immerse himself in a character, i know, but Corvo was great, his feelings quite clear at the end without a single word spoken (at least fr me, but maybe it's just my practice with D&D not so power-player chars)...the rest, is just for the player. Awesome, it deserves all the money! Expand
  9. Apr 13, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Everything in it is so great that You would like to spend with it every single minute of Your free time. Music, plot, climate, NPC, main character are awesome. It is only a peaty that game isn't very long. If You ever imagined what will come from matching Bioshock and Deus Ex You don't have to do this anymore, because answer is simple Dishonored.
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    Dishonored is a steampunkish hybrid of RPG-elements using Melee/FPS/magic combat-styles set in an Industrial-age imperial city being ravaged by a rat plague. It also has a Bioshock vibe to it. If none of that sounds like potential fun for a game, Dishonored is not for you. For the rest of us though, this game is a really good time and well worth the sale price of $30 I paid for itDishonored is a steampunkish hybrid of RPG-elements using Melee/FPS/magic combat-styles set in an Industrial-age imperial city being ravaged by a rat plague. It also has a Bioshock vibe to it. If none of that sounds like potential fun for a game, Dishonored is not for you. For the rest of us though, this game is a really good time and well worth the sale price of $30 I paid for it during Steam's post-

thanksgiving sale. Although I thought the emotional attachment was a little thin from a player perspective, the main character's motivation was quite clear, so his actions during the game made sense to me. My only significant problem with Dishonored was that it crashed on me 7 or so times during my first playthrough.

**COMPOSITE SCORE: 8.875/10**

**ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 9/10**

Arkane Studios gives the player the opportunity to complete the mission objectives in a true role-playing manner. If you believe Corvo wouldn't want to kill a couple of hundred city guards in order to meet his goals, you don't have to do that. Or, if you think he's so angry that he'd destroy anyone in his way, you can do that too. This gives opportunities for varied playthroughs. I recommend going stealth your 1st time, because it's more challenging than rampaging through the city. Save that for the 2nd.

**GRAPHICS: 9/10**

Although Dishonored is a console port, Arkane did a good job at making it feel good for PC gamers. I would have liked more people in the cities and larger areas, but the people who were there looked pretty good, and the settings were fun and looked good as well. I did not like all the fog, but I think that was an artistic choice rather than hardware. Being only DX9 limited how good water looks, but it's still decent.

**SOUND: 9/10**

The sound was solid although not ground breaking. The music was fun though. ...drunken whalers. haha

**DESIGN AND GAMEPLAY: 8/10**

Like I said before, you have options on how you want to play. I don't want to get into what your options are too much, cuz that might spoil things, but you can either move around and kill things really fast, or you can go super slow and sneaky, or you can be somewhere in-between. It's pretty cool. There are definitely easier ways to complete the missions than others. And, the side missions are just that. If you skip them, they don't really affect the game's difficulty... just the ending. I did not like how picky the achievement for Clean Hands is. If someone finds a person you knocked out, that counts against the achievement. I also didn't like how sometimes mobs will completely miss seeing you in broad daylight but other times see you in shadows from about the same distance. Lots of daytime missions. Makes it tough to be a magic ninja with all that light.

**GAME LENGTH: 10/10**

Playing the stealth path, it took me ~28 hours my first playthrough. With the different options to use, Dishonored offers a lot of replayability. People who complain about the game being too short (7 hours) are skipping most of the exploring and side-quests. It would be like doing only Skyrim's main line and finishing in 10 hours... why do it??

Have fun!
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours.This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    Despite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bowDespite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bow trough walls. So the "silent" way is always getting behind enemy's, one by one.

Its not bad at all, but it could be so much more. And so DX and DX:HR are the better alternatives.
    And maybe there has been some cuts for being playable on consoles what it makes it to simple to play.

I would rate it lower just because it was so much hyped.
  13. Dec 23, 2012
    It is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. TheIt is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. The choice of weapons is reduced to a generic pistol and a generic crossbow /comes now with the official cheating ammunition: Sleeping darts!!!)

Story: 4/10 Standard stuff and mostly predictable (to me at least)

Graphics: 5/10 Beeing a fan of Steampunk, I was enthusiastic at first. However after playing the game for some time i noticed, that the graphics are not quite up to date. Texturework tends to get muddy, animal models are laughable (espacially the dogs). Because most of the levels look quite alike the sections look Sound: 6/10 The score is ok but nothing too memorable, overall it gets you in the mood, nothing more nothing less.

Gameplay: 4/10 You get 4-5 hours of unspoiled and exciting gameplay, where you have the impression of an open world in which you can interact. Until you suddenly realise that this game is more linear then plain old Half-Life and that most of the encounters can be handled in quite similar ways. None of them seem balanced to this point. The two main options are either Sneaking or sabotaging (difficult but more exciting) or Fighting and performing magic (easy and unrewarding). The few instances where you have to forge plans on how to infiltrate a place are spoiled by the fact that the possible alternatives are pointed out so plainly obvious, that it hurts.
    Verdict: Not bad, but in dire need of some balancing/expanding. For now better stick to System Shock 2, Bioshock, or the Thief series...
  14. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a niceAmazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a nice atmosphere/sound effects/music, the problem with this game is just that it isn't challenging enough... you start the game and the first few levels feel awe-inspiring, but once you realise the terrible limits of the vision of the AI you really are too overpowered for any mission without getting a single upgrade. (And the upgrades are lots of fun, but they make the game become a theme park rather than the gruesome travesty that the story seems to think you are in). Still I highly recommend it. I don't know what my GOTY for 2012 is going to be, so this could still be it, but Dishonored 2 on UE4 or some other engine would just about blow my socks off. Please make it happen Arkane :) Expand
  15. Oct 15, 2012
    Fun game, the gameplay is pretty similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, stealth is required, but the levels you play in feel open, and have a lot of opportunities for exploration and finding hidden stuff. I was kind of hoping this game would be like an RPG, while it does have some RPG elements, like upgrading your weapons, there's no level up system as I hoped it would. The game is VERYFun game, the gameplay is pretty similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, stealth is required, but the levels you play in feel open, and have a lot of opportunities for exploration and finding hidden stuff. I was kind of hoping this game would be like an RPG, while it does have some RPG elements, like upgrading your weapons, there's no level up system as I hoped it would. The game is VERY immersive, with good voice acting, very well mixed sounds of ambiance, the music is more subtle, but gets stronger when your character is in danger, like when a swarm of rats is chasing after you. The combat can feel a bit clunky at first, but you will get used to it. It's similar to Skyrim's combat, you have a weapon in your right, and one for the left, the right weapon controlled by the Left click, and left weapon for right click. You can use a dagger, a crossbow with multiple kinds of darts, a pistol, and all sorts of magical abilities. I recommend this game for anyone who enjoys the stealthy games, like Human Revolution, probably not a good choice for anybody who enjoys charging out and fighting, as you will get killed. Expand
  16. Dec 20, 2012
    Honestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full ofHonestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full of blood, the people just don't seem to give a damn if you are here to kill and the only thing the guards tell you is to put it away. I mean WTF !! Anyway, I still haven;t finished the game yet as it's getting a bit boring now ! I'll give it a go during the weekend to see if it's worth carrying on !! Expand
  17. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by theDishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by the industrial revolution era, but with some fantasy and sci fi aspects that is simply amazing to explore. Characters are at their worst completely believable plot devices, and at their best mesmerizing performances and dialogues. Third it is a game about refined art. Yes you read well. For example the music was written by Dexter's composer Daniel Licht. If you know Dexter, you know what I mean. Graphics are extremely refined, even in the brutal bloody executions. Clearly this game is targeted at an adult audience. Sadly I don't think that most people will be able to appreciate how good this game is. It is simply a masterpiece that will be remembered for the years to come. Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2014
    Excellent stealth dystopia. SCORE 95/100.

Steampunk dystopian Hitman Absolution. That, by the way, makes for an awesome game. Superb controls, good RPG upgrade system, extremely cool story, and graphics that still look great almost 2 years later. If you like Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Hitman, Thief, Bioshock, Deus Ex, or Tomb Raider - then you will think this game is simply a
    Excellent stealth dystopia. SCORE 95/100.

If you like Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Hitman, Thief, Bioshock, Deus Ex, or Tomb Raider - then you will think this game is simply a masterpiece. You will not soon forget it.
  19. Feb 16, 2013
    Lots of fun and replayability, although I wish the main story were longer. The primary strength of this game is the ability of the player to complete tasks in a variety of ways. Want to play it as an action game? Run in guns blazing and use your powers mid combat to teleport around like a bad ass. Want to play it stealthy? Go for it. Sneak around and knock out your opponents without everLots of fun and replayability, although I wish the main story were longer. The primary strength of this game is the ability of the player to complete tasks in a variety of ways. Want to play it as an action game? Run in guns blazing and use your powers mid combat to teleport around like a bad ass. Want to play it stealthy? Go for it. Sneak around and knock out your opponents without ever letting them fire a shot. Multiple angels of approach, should I climb that building or take that tunnel? RPG customization of powers and abilities along with difficult achievements for the hardcore make this overall an excellent experience. Expand
  20. Dec 2, 2012
    Great successor of the first Bioshock. Analogy is so straight (like that was with Singilarity) so you can't think that you play some Bioshock franchise. Anyway game is really good, it has a lot of options to way of playing it, your actions lead to changes not just in scenario but also in city environment and weather. Really good game, good storyline, good visuals, good music. What would beGreat successor of the first Bioshock. Analogy is so straight (like that was with Singilarity) so you can't think that you play some Bioshock franchise. Anyway game is really good, it has a lot of options to way of playing it, your actions lead to changes not just in scenario but also in city environment and weather. Really good game, good storyline, good visuals, good music. What would be great to me - is more freedom to explore the city although you can explore just one district in a misson. Expand
  21. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is a real gem in a world full of recycled material and plots. It takes stealth play and ambush tactics to a new level. It's linear in objective but the options for getting to point B are vast and make for great replay. It's like each board is a giant puzzle. The play time is about 10 to 15 hours for the campaign. I've gone through it twice choosing a different way to do thingsThis game is a real gem in a world full of recycled material and plots. It takes stealth play and ambush tactics to a new level. It's linear in objective but the options for getting to point B are vast and make for great replay. It's like each board is a giant puzzle. The play time is about 10 to 15 hours for the campaign. I've gone through it twice choosing a different way to do things each time and played a few of the missions several times just for kicks. I noticed each time I played that different options arose for upgrading too which made for a unique experience as well. It's like going through it once was like "being an assassin 101" after you realize your potential then the fun really begins. The A.I. is really good too. So watch out and don't be seen or heard they will find you in a heartbeat. Expand
  22. Nov 15, 2012
    At the time of writing I have 106 games on Steam AFTER being a console gamer since the birth of them - please believe me when I say that this is (for me) simply the best game released up to this point on this planet.
    Graphics are lovely, controls are solid and fluid, story is epic, world is beautiful...I could go on and on.
    To give maybe purchasers my opinion on what you are getting
    To give maybe purchasers my opinion on what you are getting would be to most closely associate with Bioshock. It has that kind of feel about it but with a bit of Thief and Splinter Cell thrown in for good measure.
    There are so many worse things you could do with you hard earned money - but not a lot better - trust me. A solid 9.5 pushing a 10 (always room for a pinch more). This is up with the Skyrims of this world as a masterpiece
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    The best game I played all year. I got the game a little late, but I don't regret it since it gave me the time to enjoy the game instead of rushing through it. The lore is fantastic, and the amount of side hints make the game a joy to explore fully. The options the game presents are fantastic. Stealth is not limited to one route or to one way of completing the objective. Some of the laterThe best game I played all year. I got the game a little late, but I don't regret it since it gave me the time to enjoy the game instead of rushing through it. The lore is fantastic, and the amount of side hints make the game a joy to explore fully. The options the game presents are fantastic. Stealth is not limited to one route or to one way of completing the objective. Some of the later levels are very engaging and interesting. One of them in particular was really fun. Playing full stealth I completed the level by bypassing 3 quarters of the entire map, and it was awesome. The story is a bit thin, and there are occasional hiccups but neither detract from an amazing game. Can't wait for the sequel. Expand
  24. Dec 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. the gameplay is a blast, there are many ways to go about each level, good progression and a compelling story. The ending is a little "meh", being a lame slideshow of half a dozen~ "what happened in the years to come" images. The game is also a tad easy unless you take the stealth/no kill approach, even on hard difficulty. Don't let that discourage you from the game,Fantastic game. the gameplay is a blast, there are many ways to go about each level, good progression and a compelling story. The ending is a little "meh", being a lame slideshow of half a dozen~ "what happened in the years to come" images. The game is also a tad easy unless you take the stealth/no kill approach, even on hard difficulty. Don't let that discourage you from the game, however. You will fully enjoy this game and almost everything it has to offer. Even hunting for bone charms for upgrades, or doing petty side quests, are entertaining and not so overly out-of-the-way that they take away from the experience. 9/10, would've gotten a 10 if the ending was on par with the rest of the game, but in all fairness, not many games being put out have very good endings, not even the great games like Dishonored. Expand
  25. Nov 3, 2012
    Varying situations, non-linear levels with more than two options, loads of ways to eliminate your targets - all of this basically makes Dishonored an exemplary stealth-action game. When I saw the trailers, I expected it to be some kind of a first-person Assassin's Creed, but I was wrong - the game itself is closer to the Hitman series - it's not open-world, but each level is a sandboxVarying situations, non-linear levels with more than two options, loads of ways to eliminate your targets - all of this basically makes Dishonored an exemplary stealth-action game. When I saw the trailers, I expected it to be some kind of a first-person Assassin's Creed, but I was wrong - the game itself is closer to the Hitman series - it's not open-world, but each level is a sandbox where you are free to do whatever you wish. The tools of the trade are pretty damn impressive - you'll have a lot of fun combining the teleportation, time stopping and possession. Dishonored's only flaws are its shortness and the main plot. First one is neglected by the game's replay value - you'll definitely want to use all the gadgets and adopt the aggressive playstyle after you beat the game in a semi-nonlethal way. The quite lame plot is a bigger problem - the twists (the only one, actually) is predictable, and the whole story is too cliche and serves merely as a connection between the missions themselves. Which is a shame, because Dishonored is set in a very well-detailed world with its own mythology. Arkane Studios 's Dishonored is probably the only original (not a sequel, not licenced, not a reboot) AAA title this year, it delivers a refreshing experience, doesn't put the player in any limits and is overall a great game. Don't miss this out. Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    an overpriced game considering its relatively low replay value and length. however, many players will find solace in the multiple endings and loose plan of action in completing the mission. the real challenge in Dishonored comes in keeping your low profile throughout and getting the only satisfying ending (finishing with high chaos ultimately leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth).an overpriced game considering its relatively low replay value and length. however, many players will find solace in the multiple endings and loose plan of action in completing the mission. the real challenge in Dishonored comes in keeping your low profile throughout and getting the only satisfying ending (finishing with high chaos ultimately leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth). there's also something to be said about the methods of killing within the power wheel, something that's both refreshing and creative. the story is pretty good on its own and at times unexpected. the side quests don't even feel like side quests due to their unique nature and characters, which is a big plus. one thing that bugged me occasionally was how some characters' heads seemed too small, but this is a very minor complaint and has no real impact on the game's image. overall, a great ride, an excellent boredom beater, and highly recommended Expand
  27. Nov 19, 2012
    Once again, I am appaled by the seemingly rediculous amount of negative reviews the PC version got compared to the console versions. It is set in stone that the PC crowd in general seems to be a whiny bunch of elitist piss pants, that would go and vote 10 for an obscure indie game and give a mainstream game a zero, just because it's mainstream. This is a truly great game, with one of it'sOnce again, I am appaled by the seemingly rediculous amount of negative reviews the PC version got compared to the console versions. It is set in stone that the PC crowd in general seems to be a whiny bunch of elitist piss pants, that would go and vote 10 for an obscure indie game and give a mainstream game a zero, just because it's mainstream. This is a truly great game, with one of it's only faults being it's short length.How could people say it's unoriginal? What other FPS/Steampunk/Assassination games have you guys played? The combat is very fluid and challenging if you get a couple enemies at once (I played on Hard). The enemies don't take turns attacking (Assassin's Creed) and block and counter your attacks well. Each mission can be approached in a variety of ways, you can choose the non-lethal route, the stealth assassin route, or the kill everything that moves route. Obviously, you can have a mix of all three. The powers, for the most part, are fun to use and have more utility than first meets the eye. For instance, you can freeze time just as a guard shoots, then mind control the guard, move him in front of the bullet path and then press play. PC gamers are such a whiny dissatisfied bunch that it makes me ashamed to say I love gaming on the PC the most. No wonder developer's don't focus on the PC anymore, they have spoiled **** to deal with. Expand
  28. Nov 3, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game overall. AI patterns can be kind of annoying, the graphics probably aren't as good as they should be, but those are the only faults I can come up with. I love how this game plays out, and It should be a definite buy for you
  29. Nov 4, 2012
    The main plus and the best thing in this game is the atmosphere/setting, this is what keeps you thrilled during your journey to Dunwall. Great visual style and locations/characters/machines design. As for the gameplay: I preferred do make it through in a stealthy way (because I wanted to have a nice ending!!), so I crawled at first but when I was bored I used the tranquilizer bolts toThe main plus and the best thing in this game is the atmosphere/setting, this is what keeps you thrilled during your journey to Dunwall. Great visual style and locations/characters/machines design. As for the gameplay: I preferred do make it through in a stealthy way (because I wanted to have a nice ending!!), so I crawled at first but when I was bored I used the tranquilizer bolts to neutralize the enemies or just used the "cheating" teleport to run away. At the beginning of the game it was all a bit chaotic. but later I got used to it and even got some fun. About the "Chaos system", which affects the ending - I don't like it, because it causes you not to use creative killings, bombs, mines, grenades, guns, rats, electricity...you name it! to get rid of the enemies because you just should not kill them if you want a good ending, and thats why you lose a lot of fun. In total the game is nice, and I'll repeat myself, mostly because of the Atmosphere. Expand
  30. Mar 14, 2013
    this game is solid,interesting and fun.bethesda has done a great job(again).the gameplay is good and fun.the graphics are good.the sthealth is very good.this game is the best game of 2012.
  31. Jun 23, 2013
    Flavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try toFlavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try to run-and-gun through a stealth game. This brings forward another problem: not enough non-lethal options. The whole game can be beaten by blinking behind enemies, choking them, and hiding the body in a dumpster and, sadly, this is the most effective way to beat the game.

For being so plot-centric, Dishonored's story is disappointingly predictable and the ending boils down into two paths (high or low chaos). Dishonored is missing something thematically at it's core but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps this is one of the few FPS games that would benefit from stylistic cutscenes instead of locked & zoomed camera interludes.

Dishonored is a refreshingly creative stealth game with very stylized graphics that will stand the test of time (the same can't be said for the gameplay sadly). I think this is worth playing but it is disappointing to see what could have been if Arkane stuck to creating solely a strong stealth game.
  32. Oct 26, 2012
    I'm more a shooty FPS guy, but I was intrigued by the high scoring reviews and memories of playing Thief all those years ago. Dishonored isn't vastly different from its ancestor 'Thief', you are given a goal to accomplish, some tools and a map populated by guards and zombies. You're then left alone to figure out your own way in and out and in your own time.

The graphics aren't

The graphics aren't brilliant, its the relatively old Unreal engine reworked, but the gameplay can be fun as you try to get inventive getting past guards. You can hack your way in and out, but the levels get tougher security if you do so it rewards sneaking. You end up playing like a combination Thief and Batman, staying high on buildings and dropping down to knock out guards as chance permits.

The maps are not large, but they are stiched together to make long levels with loads at certain doors. With the multiple routes and tactics available to you, plus the time it takes to clamber around, you get a lot of gameplay time and high replay value. Its a diverting and quite challenging game, if not inventive or good looking.
  33. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored is an incredibly original game which brings up the fight or flight instinct that you have. I would have given this amazing title a 10 but the ending felt a little sudden.
  34. Nov 9, 2012
    Who likes stealth games, they will probably enjoy Dishonored! . What the game gets right is the gameplay. I was having fun killing enemies silently with a sharp blade and a crossbow. The power of teletransportation works well, but sometimes gives annoyances. The upgrades of weapons and powers are included and placed perfectly. Graphics artistically are phenomenal in Dishonored, and theWho likes stealth games, they will probably enjoy Dishonored! . What the game gets right is the gameplay. I was having fun killing enemies silently with a sharp blade and a crossbow. The power of teletransportation works well, but sometimes gives annoyances. The upgrades of weapons and powers are included and placed perfectly. Graphics artistically are phenomenal in Dishonored, and the characters are interesting. What about the story? Was It any good? Well, It was mediocre. It has some intense moments, but It is predictable. Despite of the mediocre story, Dishonored doesn't disappoint with the gameplay. Worth playing. (9.0) Expand
  35. Dec 11, 2012
    This game really impressed me, I read the reviews saying how good it is, but I had to check it myself. And it was worth it, this is a great game! Great gameplay mechanics, great memorable characters and a good story.
    It has its flaws of course, I found it frustrating that some levels didn't let you use the powers as you wish, for example, "blink", you can't use it on all roofs (even if they are very close to you), making you adopt other paths. The graphics aren't amazing, but they are decent and its part of the game's own style.
    I think there will be a sequel, and I'm certainly looking forward to it.
  36. Dec 20, 2012
    This was a highly enjoyable game, i have finished it a couple times and I am considering starting up a new one. The player abilities and gear allows you to play the game multiple ways with different results.
  37. Feb 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. I played through it right through again right after I finished it. If you like stealth-espionage games, this one follows in those footsteps pretty well and I recommend it. The gameplay is challenging, engaging and tactical and the world is interesting and has it's own character. The graphics aren't top notch but the game is attractive and immersing enough thatI really enjoyed this game. I played through it right through again right after I finished it. If you like stealth-espionage games, this one follows in those footsteps pretty well and I recommend it. The gameplay is challenging, engaging and tactical and the world is interesting and has it's own character. The graphics aren't top notch but the game is attractive and immersing enough that it held my attention. And the level design I'd have to say this is about the best level design I've seen in a while kudos to the level designers. I do, of course, have a few minor nits. The narrative is not all that great. Not that the plot and the story is bad, I just found the dialogue and the characters to be on the bland side. That and I wish that Corvo was actually a character with dialogue of his own. To me it felt like there was a missing component to the game in that he was silent. The gameplay, while quite engaging, didn't really feel especially groundbreaking. If you've played thief and deus ex, the gameplay will feel very very familiar. Having said that, if you're stepping up to a stealth-espionage game, you know ahead of time that you're picking up a thief-deus ex progeny so what the hell. Anyways, the magic, especially blink, makes a nice little twist in the gameplay that's fun and interesting without feeling excessively overpowered. I know alot of people think it is, but to that I say: how many times when you used it were you not thinking about your situation and using timing to use it properly? Kinda the point of the game??? Despite the familiar feeling of the gameplay it is a refinement over older instalments, though I hope the next stealth-espionage game I play feels fresher. Expand
  38. May 18, 2013
    I'm a fan of the first Deus Ex, I still remember nights spent thrilled by the plot of illuminatis, templars and men in black, picking up phones with exquisite entities on the other side, finding easter eggs, this kind of thing.
    Sadly there is an utter lack of games like Deus Ex, games that feel like you are reading a book, games that present you with a coherent and thrilling story and an innovative game play at the same time.
    Dishonored offers this, not with all the glory and deepness possible, but it offers a plot, dialogues and a different combat system. Indeed it is repetitive one time or the other, or it presents you with a forced and non-sense way, but overall is enjoyable.
    Also the design was great and they were very successful in creating a british victorian inspired world.
  39. Jan 20, 2013
    Dishonored .... what an awesome game it's like a combination of Bioshock and AC3 making this into a FPS in a strange world of magic and chaos. It also has that Deus ex stealth experience or you just can kill everybody that comes in your way.
  40. Feb 4, 2013
    Dishonored is a blast to play. It's not your topical stealth game; it's an unique stealth game, that succeeds with it's gameplay. Having many unique options to kill an enemy, stealthy or detectable, is remarkable, by using some magical powers. And the open-world environments are entertaining to explore However, the story is dull, the characters are forgettable and the game is short.Dishonored is a blast to play. It's not your topical stealth game; it's an unique stealth game, that succeeds with it's gameplay. Having many unique options to kill an enemy, stealthy or detectable, is remarkable, by using some magical powers. And the open-world environments are entertaining to explore However, the story is dull, the characters are forgettable and the game is short. Dishonored is a great game, but far from perfect. Expand
  41. Feb 5, 2013
    Its between Dishonored and Far Cry 3 for game of 2012. Dishonored had such a unique theme, level design and it was a great take on a genetically modified Victorian England. There were so many ways/routes to complete a mission and traverse the streets and buildings. This sense of freedom really appealed to me. Never did I feel stuck in a 'corridor shooter'. The runes/powerups were similarIts between Dishonored and Far Cry 3 for game of 2012. Dishonored had such a unique theme, level design and it was a great take on a genetically modified Victorian England. There were so many ways/routes to complete a mission and traverse the streets and buildings. This sense of freedom really appealed to me. Never did I feel stuck in a 'corridor shooter'. The runes/powerups were similar to the plasmids of Bioshock however they all had their own feel and were interesting to combine and upgrade. I loved Dishonored and when I have time will play through again. 9/10 Expand
  42. Feb 13, 2013
    Dishonored stands out against the current crop of games with a very high level of polish, accessibility and atmosphere. Its one of the few games that upon completion I've immediately begun to consider replaying with a different style. Its not however great at everything it does. If like me you experienced the tension of sneaking around castles in the original thief games then Dishonored'sDishonored stands out against the current crop of games with a very high level of polish, accessibility and atmosphere. Its one of the few games that upon completion I've immediately begun to consider replaying with a different style. Its not however great at everything it does. If like me you experienced the tension of sneaking around castles in the original thief games then Dishonored's stealth is not going to impress as its far too simplistic and not remotely convincing.

Dishonored is a relatively linear FPS with options. To describe it as an RPG or in any way open or infinite would be wrong. That said, its solid entertainment, good story and set in a beautifully visualized environment.
  43. Feb 13, 2013
    A lot of effort was spent in creating the art for the game as the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool looking. A lot of the visuals seem reminiscent of watercolor paintings which I thought was unique. The game mechanics are geared for and indeed rewarded the use of stealth and non-violent resolutions to game situations. What you do throughout the game affects the rest of the gameA lot of effort was spent in creating the art for the game as the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool looking. A lot of the visuals seem reminiscent of watercolor paintings which I thought was unique. The game mechanics are geared for and indeed rewarded the use of stealth and non-violent resolutions to game situations. What you do throughout the game affects the rest of the game in a *mostly* common-sense way changing the overall game "chaos," e.g.: more kills causes more guards to appear later in the game. The sword fighting mechanics are okay, not great, but are irrelevant if your goal is to use stealth to achieve the Ghost/Shadow achievements. The special abilities were pretty neat and some even demoniacally fun such as the possession ability. The game also includes some "mini-games" such as finding objects to enhance your abilities, although I found that most of the bone charms were pretty irrelevant to game play. Every level has several ways to achieve goals both violent and non-violently.

I am a big fan of stealth shooters such as the original Deus Ex and Deus Ex Human Revolution. Also, I think games like Far Cry 2 Max Payne 3 are too repetitious and boring. I never found Dishonored boring in this manner and I thought that the game length was a good match for the uniqueness of the game content. I'm the kind of person who likes taking some time finding the stealthy way through so this game appealed to me.
  44. Feb 16, 2013
    This game has all the best features of bio shock and assassins creed. my only wish was if the campaign had a better ending and maybe a more interactive story
  45. Mar 16, 2014
    Just finished playing GOTY edition of the game and it was great, I don't have much to complain about. You can try either a stealth or more hands on approach (lethal or non-lethal) and it works both ways. The game leaves it up to you to find many creative ways of neutralizing enemies and it affects how it all ends. Story is nothing new really just your typically save the day lazy story thatJust finished playing GOTY edition of the game and it was great, I don't have much to complain about. You can try either a stealth or more hands on approach (lethal or non-lethal) and it works both ways. The game leaves it up to you to find many creative ways of neutralizing enemies and it affects how it all ends. Story is nothing new really just your typically save the day lazy story that you find everywhere but it works I suppose. The 2 story DLC's are also very good. Expand
  46. Oct 13, 2012
    Im brand new to pc gaming and this first story game for pc and i enjoyed this game ..... only downside in my opinion is the length i would have like it a bit longer.
  47. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored contains very different experiences based on how you play it, so let me prefix this review with my setup: fully non-lethal; mostly unspotted but lots of take-downs; no UI; much exploration and side questing; difficulty 'hard' (fourth out of five). I completed the game in about 19 hours. | And those were some truly enjoyable hours, since Dishonored gets most of the core stealthDishonored contains very different experiences based on how you play it, so let me prefix this review with my setup: fully non-lethal; mostly unspotted but lots of take-downs; no UI; much exploration and side questing; difficulty 'hard' (fourth out of five). I completed the game in about 19 hours. | And those were some truly enjoyable hours, since Dishonored gets most of the core stealth gameplay right. It implements a solid formula -- cover/line of sight/patrol based sneaking -- but mostly ignores shadow and sound. In my opinion that's for the better, since line of sight is a mechanic that is intuitively understandable and therefore predictable, which gave the game a certain puzzle aspect and made me recognise my failures as indeed _my_ failures, not failures of the game's systems. When I was discovered, I usually knew what to do in order not to screw up the next time -- which doesn't mean that I actually managed to do it, since Dishonored is not afraid of throwing some good challenges in the non-lethal player's way. | What makes the stealth gameplay stand out, though, is the level design combined with the awesome Blink power, a short-range teleport that only costs Mana when executed in rapid succession. This seemingly small addition allows players to exploit vertical movement to a great degree, which is enough to set Dishonored apart from its conceptual brethren. It enables the player to move between cover, reach vantage points or quickly exploit tiny holes in a patrol route. In more open areas, getting onto the rooftops gives an opportunity to scout and plan the next steps. | The other big thing about the level design, making it by far the most compelling aspect of the game, is that it literally always provides multiple ways to approach an objective. On the large scale, all 'assassinations' can be achieved without actually killing the target, with the non-lethal options being interesting and fitting into the story quite nicely. Expose someone's immoral behaviour and that person no longer plays a role in politics; let a lover take his beloved to a foreign country far away. However, the binary nature of things -- there's always exactly one non-lethal approach -- certainly gets repetitive, and I would have loved to see a wider variety of possibilities. Additionally, some of the non-lethal options could require a bit more thinking on the player's part: taking the pacifist route more often than not doesn't feel like a witty accomplishment but rather like the completion of a slightly more complex quest, leaving barely any room for the player's own imagination. | The design also shines when it comes to providing multiple routes through the level. While the approaches mostly boil down to a few recipes, some of their applications are genuinely surprising. More importantly, there are always plenty different ways through a level, all with advantages and disadvantages, and finding an alternative route when you thought that there was clearly only the one you took in the first place is rewarding in and of itself. | Unfortunately, the few recipes issue also applies to low-level combat, where the non-lethal ways seem too repetitive compared to what lethal approaches offer. To incapacitate an enemy, you can basically sneak up to them or use a sleep dart, which is uninteresting compared to the array of lethal possibilities that have been demonstrated a lot in the trailers. The AI also does little to make stealth more engaging -- enemies are a little more intelligent than in most games, but still fairly dumb. | As far as story is concerned, there isn't a whole lot to the game, and it makes me sad that Arkane put together an intriguing setting only to fill it with forgettable characters. The voice acting and dialogue is generally decent, but there's just no way a game could tell an interesting story via the very short gatherings between missions. | However, the missions themselves provide ample background and lore that let the city of Dunwall become a more living place than most locations I have visited in games. There's a large amount of detail hidden in every level, revealing tiny parts of stories about totally unrelated characters that still manage to form a bigger picture. The diary of a man who describes in dry words how he watches his children die from the plague one by one; some guards' chatter as they throw plague victims onto a heap of corpses; the nobility's habit to steal valuables from each other. Dishonored is clearly a game for explorers -- people who explore for the sake of knowledge and impressions, not tangible benefits. | All in all, Dishonored is a great stealth game with an extraordinary focus on indirect storytelling, and many of my criticisms mostly boil down to 'I want more': more combat options, story, mission diversity, time with the game. Considering my slow motion approach, 19 hours is not exactly huge. Still, what the game offers is rock-solid and at times brilliant. Expand
  48. Jul 15, 2013
    I played this game some time ago, and the gameplay has been reviewed plenty so I won't go into a whole lot of detail about that, but partly because I don't remember it very clearly.
    When I first heard about Dishonored, I was skeptical because it seemed like the typical over-hyped game that provides little-to-nothing new to anyone who's played a similar game. Then I saw some very interesting screenshots that that portrayed a beautifully drawn world that just exclaimed depth. But what grabbed me the most were the images appealing to one of my deepest fantasies: murdering fascist aristocrats in their homes. So I gave it a chance.

All throughout playing it, I was amazed by the visual beauty of the game, but not much more. I was immediately confronted with boring dialogue and an lame story involving characters the game didn't allow me to care about. The gameplay was quite repetitive, only giving me options of what door I'd go through, etc. I got the feeling that the developers approached the game as though it were a chore and they simply had to meet some quota so it would appear that they actually tried. When I would go back and try some of the other pathways and options provided, I would only discover how rarely it offered anything new with my "decisions." Blink was fun to explore with, a certain positive point in the game, but I couldn't name many other new mechanics I enjoyed.

Now I CANNOT stress enough, the downright worst part of this lazily formed game was the "chaos/order" system. The tagline for the game was "revenge solves everything" and with my scary skull mask and occult powers, I would strike fear into the hearts of the wicked authority and claim vengeance for all who suffered from their evils. But no, that's bad ending stuff that makes the little girl insane and Samuel, the only character I liked, hate me. Instead, I have to "non-lethally" knock out zombies and thugs and hide them in dark alleys because that obviously increases order in the city. Live an let live, right? What the hell. The only way to get the good ending (which may or may not be as sickeningly stupid and disappointing as the bad ending, I never saw it) is to play the game boring mode in which you play as a hippy assassin with an arsenal of murder and a terrifying image of symbolic rising death that isn't allowed to hurt anyone in a crazy violent world of plague and corruption.
    Talking about the ending is starting to make me feel nauseous, so I'll leave it there.

The story was an all around pile of garbage, so predictable that I insisted to myself that "there is no way it could turn out like that, no matter how terrible this game may be!" only to soon find out that I had guessed nearly every part of the cliche, and often plotless story.
    I enjoyed the look and atmosphere of each setting tremendously, and they did indeed leave their mark on me, and I'm grateful for it. It is a bit embarrassing to see the way that they catered to some apparent fad called "steampunk" but even so, the background world (which you had to do some reading to discover) seemed quite inspired. I would have loved to see more of it, but unfortunately, the story was too lost in itself to show us any of it.
    There are plenty of things I could wish for that this game doesn't come close to providing -magic that felt like magic; missions that weren't so pointlessly long; a faceless, nameless, and mysterious masked silent protagonist; the so promised sense of choice; fun stealth mechanics; a story- but wishing doesn't redeem this game.
    What Dishonored truly needs is a redeeming sequel, complete with all the beauty and depth of the original world seeping into every aspect of the game, complete with all the things so insistently promised to us.

They even had a ball scene in which mass murder was barely even an option! The nerve!
  49. Oct 24, 2012
    In short words its quite good mix of hitman and bioshock placed in steampunk ? world.
    I love games which give me a choice how to play, and Dishonored is just the way i like to play, however story is rather dull, and game is little too short (i completed it after 15 hours of play on hard difficulty)
    To be honest i expected more, but its still a good game.
  50. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  51. Jan 10, 2013
    This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.

The Good:
    The voice acting is quite superb. The game creators got very good cast together to deliver some very good dialogue.

The overall feel of the in-game universe comes across quite well, especially during the first few missions. I recall that Viktor Antonov, one of the guys who designed the art behind of Half Life 2, designed the overall feel of Dishonored, and this feeling is pervasive through the game. The tone and mood of the environment come across very starkly to the player, and this adds to the immersion of the game, and contributes to feeling like you're actually in a real dystopian steam-punk world, not unlike Half-Life 2.

The Bad:
    The gameplay is weak. This was a difficult observation to make based on the great overall feel of the universe. This game manages to combine a masterful universe with mediocre gameplay, and gameplay that belies the mastery of the in-game universe. This contrast is quite jarring at times.

The control system was clearly no optimized for PC play. The game is nothing like Batman: Arkham City, where clear effort and time went into a PC input scheme to optimize the play for the PC players. With the plethora of powers and abilities that the character has access to, it would stand to reason that some powers could be directly mappable to the keyboard. This is not the case: the character may only use one power at a time (and this includes some of the less-active powers, such as dark vision and blink, and have the sword out all the time. This becomes awkward in certain non-aggressive missions when having your weapons out is quite silly, and could have been solved with a better keyboard mapping system, and a little bit of time spent optimizing the controls for PC play.

The plot is terrible. I won't give any spoilers, but if you have half a brain you should figure out exactly what is going to happen by the end of the first mission set. This game fails to surprise, but that alone does not condemn the plot. It failed to be unsurprising in a passably interesting manner.

The game feels incomplete, and there is not enough game, especially for a $60 big-production title. This is to say, it's way to damn short, and it moves far too quickly. I have the distinct feeling that this game was intended to be about twice or three times as long, and then got pushed out to sell the title more quickly.

For an example of this incompleteness. The first mission is amazing. Several side missions, tons of content, many paths to victory, later on this is simply not the case. The mission maps become increasingly linear, boring, and lack the side content of the first few missions.

Overall:

Play it when its $20-30 or wait for something better. This game surfers from a serious lack of game time, and a rushed plot. 9 missions is simply not enough. With so many ways to play this game it could have been much longer without getting boring since there is always more than three ways to accomplish the mission objectives. The controls are frustrating, and combat is utterly trivial. This game survives a failing rating due to its excellent "feel," but suffers critically from a lack of in-game substance, insufficient storyline, control issues, and mediocre game-play at best. This game has potential, but we'll never know unless they release a SDK or something where players can add mod content, but I wouldn't hold out for that.
  52. Oct 17, 2012
    kind of really really really buggy.

just a quick warning to you PC lot. if you have an AIT card, have fun fixing the pile of bugs. if you brought it on steam, have fun. if the game crashes outdated could save files will overwrite you newer local save files and if you own this game on any other two formats, have fun, as, its actually a really really really good game. buggy as a
    kind of really really really buggy.

just a quick warning to you PC lot.

if you have an AIT card, have fun fixing the pile of bugs.

and if you own this game on any other two formats, have fun, as, its actually a really really really good game. buggy as a bethesda title (oh wait, it is a bethesda title :P ) but still has some good soul. hopefuly when its fixed i can enjoy it in all its glory, but for now, ATi and steam users beware.

as for an actual review, i may update this, if not, just check the date of my review. if its more than 1 month old, its probarbly fixed, my reveiw is invalid and should be reported for spam, removed and my bias annoying comments purged, as this review is based on the day 1 release game, not a (hopefuly) patched on (BUT ONLY FLAG IT AS SPAM WHEN ITS BEEN A MONTH!!!!)
  53. Oct 19, 2012
    This is a good game. Yet that is where I will stop. I know lots of people are giving this game rave reviews, but I simply cannot.

First, the art style is intriguing and much of that is a personal taste. I normally like steampunk, or in this case whaleoilpunk. Yet the characters are downright ugly. If that was their choice so be it. I know there is a bleak aspect to the game considering they are in the middle of a plague. Yet being constantly surrounded by ugly characters is not enjoyable. There is also the texture issues, and the fact they some things are just poorly done. I am not lowering this game much for the graphics (no game should be), yet this does have graphical issues.

Second, there just is not a lot of character development. There is world development if you choose by reading the books scattered throughout the world. Yet the character development is fairly poor. I wanted to more about all these people I was working with and also the ones I was killing. Yet other than a few conversations and the random really brief letter/diary you can pick up it's really sparse.

Third, the gameplay can be fun at times and tedious at others. I cannot count how many times I went to choke a player and instead went into the defensive stance which alerted them to my presence. The computer AI sometimes seems real good, and at other times seems braindead. Yet it can still be fun flying all over the place and avoiding detection or simply going in and wiping the floor with everyone (although the hand to hand combat can be a chore at times).

Fourth, once you pick a style of play it really starts to feel repetitive. They do introduce some new stuff here and there, but for the most part you will be doing the same thing. They even repeated a level, which ticked me off.

Overall, the game can be a fun experience for a little while, and it can be fun finding all the different ways around things. Yet I did not find this game as special at others. Perhaps it's the simple lack of good stealth type games on the market anymore, but in the end I found this worthy of only a 7 (which means to me worth a playthrough by renting it, but certainly not a buy).
  54. Oct 27, 2012
    Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging.Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging. Had to reload a lot of times to get it perfect, but it was worth it. ...many creative / unique moments. Recommended for everybody, who loves stealthy FPS games, utopistic / apocalyptic fantasy worlds and losing him/herself into another world. :) 9/10 Expand
  55. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just aboutProbably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  56. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing game, marred by some TINY flaws. First of all, the game's video and audio are fantastic. Although the graphics leave something to be desired, the art style makes up for it and makes the world feel alive and unique. The sound effects are great, and the music is extremely immersible and sets the mood of many locations and levels extremely well.

The gameplay is absolutely

The gameplay is absolutely brilliant. Controls are responsive and won't make you feel sluggish. The abilities and weapons in the game, although relatively lacking in variety, are just enough to make you feel powerful. On the "parkour" side of the game, the mechanics are extremely well made, and also fairly simple, although blinking onto ledges is sometimes strangely annoying. Exploring the various routes to an objective and exploring the levels to find hidden items is fun and rewarding. Combat and stealth is extremely satisfying, with weapons that feel like they have weight and power, and stealth mechanics that, although quite simple, is still extremely fun. The world is filled with books and "audiograph" machines, which helps bring the immersion to another level. NPCs will continuously talk to each and often reveal information about the game-world and also about your objectives.

On the story-side of things, although the game is fairly lean on story-telling, the story still comes from very well. The characters also gain much more depth when you talk to them directly, and also when you use the heart to discover more about them. Although I'd rather have had a longer ending instead of just a short cinematic, at the end of it all, you feel like you've truly accomplished something. The game also doesn't explain some of the other questions raised as well. What exactly was the heart? Who, or what, was the Outsider. Why the hell is Granny Rags so strange? What happens to many of the characters and targets that aren't shown in the ending? The ending, although satisfying, feels rushed.

Overall, it was a extremely satisfying and immersible experience. The only flaws were some of the things that I mentioned, and also the fact that the levels are relatively linear, but they still feel open with lots space to play your way. If you want a quality game with great immersion and gameplay, this is it.
  57. Dec 21, 2012
    The best stealth game ever!
    I'll explain why: The world is so dark and refined, the story is strong, the graphics are just awesome the controls are solid it has an unique game play!
    Its possibly one of the best (or maybe the best ) games in 2012.
    If you haven't played it yet you should quickly! Because I'll follow you home, and KILL YOU!
    Nah just kidding but seriously...PLAY IT! NOW!
  58. Oct 30, 2012
    Dishonored has its drawback, but they still do not mean anything because disappear in the vast sea of advantages.Almost every level gives you several ways to solve the problem + unconventional use of Corvo's power = Dishonored is a very individual and great game.
  59. Nov 12, 2012
    As an old Thief fan, I must say I expected this game for quite a long time. Of course, it can be played as a 1st person shooter, but it loses half it's glamor. Sneak , sneak , sneak and try not to kill anyone !! Really challenging and the spells variety gave an extra plus. The graphics and art were really atmospheric and well designed. Could do with a little better AI, though. LookingAs an old Thief fan, I must say I expected this game for quite a long time. Of course, it can be played as a 1st person shooter, but it loses half it's glamor. Sneak , sneak , sneak and try not to kill anyone !! Really challenging and the spells variety gave an extra plus. The graphics and art were really atmospheric and well designed. Could do with a little better AI, though. Looking forward to a decent sequel ! Expand
  60. Feb 6, 2013
    There aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with theThere aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with the Ghost (not detected) achievement and not kills for the entire game more than makes up for it. Expand
  61. Oct 28, 2012
    Despite my rig being below the minimum specs of the game, I nonetheless bought it on steam, and loaded it up. After tweaking the graphics so it could run on my PC with a good FPS, I jumped right into the campaign, and was so involved in it that I beat it in one sitting. The story was creative, with different twists and turns. But the most impressive feature was how in-control you felt theDespite my rig being below the minimum specs of the game, I nonetheless bought it on steam, and loaded it up. After tweaking the graphics so it could run on my PC with a good FPS, I jumped right into the campaign, and was so involved in it that I beat it in one sitting. The story was creative, with different twists and turns. But the most impressive feature was how in-control you felt the entire time. You could take down that guard however you wanted. Want to rush in and engage him? Go ahead. Want to silently sneak and assassinate him? No problem. Want to hit him with a sleep dart from afar? The game won't stop you. Want to freeze time and just walk right past him? Yep, you can do it. And unlike other stealth games, it feels balanced. So you are not completely underpowered and can only take a sword swing before dying, instead, you could hold your own easily against a number of opponents. Every choice you make affects how characters react to you, and affect the total outcome. After beating the game with an evil ending, I truly felt as if I HAD to go back and complete it with a non-lethal ending. I'm a long-time fan of Bioshock, so had no problem jumping into the radial-wheel, dual weapons formula. The controls are easy to grasp, and by the first level you are already killing like a true assassin. I have no idea where the negative reviews are coming from. Dishonored reached my expectations and more. My only regret is the length of the Campaign. I'm not personally into the "bone or rune" hunting aspect of the game, so after I beat the campaign on all endings in about a day, there was nothing to do. Hopefully the new DLC will fix that. Overall, Dishonored is a great, innovative game and is like a well needed breath of fresh air before the big names come out to play later in November. If you are looking for a game to play till Halo 4/Assassin's Creed 3, this is it. Expand
  62. Feb 3, 2013
    So I have just completed the game again, but this time in a stealthy tactical way and the ending was totally different and defintly a lot more enjoyable, I would still recommend this game to anyone
  63. Feb 7, 2013
    This game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for itThis game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for it or watch a spoiler (I suggest you don't). If your someone looking for some single player excitement then this is the right game for you. Expand
  64. Jan 24, 2013
    It's a quite good game, better to say great game. Very dynamical, interesting and good-styled. There is only one minus very poor amount of skills and monotonicity that makes the game a little bit boring by the end.
  65. Aug 7, 2013
    Dishonored is a great example of a game that payed for good reviews. I'd hoped that some publishers were beyond bribery. I was wrong. Since I have to make this longer than 150 characters, here you are.
  66. Nov 4, 2012
    It's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get isIt's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get is amazing but you can't help but feel you could've had more. It's a good job the game has great replay-ability and I'm sure than any future DLCs that come this game's way will be just as brilliant. Expand
  67. Oct 26, 2012
    New and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to aNew and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to a remarkably new extreme. First I'll mention the graphics. From the reviews I read I was expecting something special and the artistic style is actually a very nice blend of steam/cyber punk and ye olde world toffery. But the graphics themselves leave a lot to be desired as they feel incredibly flat, and they actually aren't too atmospheric. The feeling of a living breathing world is also somewhat absent due to the linear nature of the levels. True there might be a side alley to lead you to your objective by a hidden route, but it is literally one purpose built alley and built for that very purpose. The premise for the game play is not a million miles away from Hitman or Splinter Cell - only you have a few magic tricks to help you on your way. The difference is that a game like Hitman will provide you with many different options for completing a mission - you might steal a key card, steal and wear a uniform, assassinate from afar with a sniper gun, poison a meal, etc etc. With dishonored you might steal a key - but that's the only option you really have in terms of open play because you are given no others. And so few civilians too. Even dark shady enterprises have civilians working for them. The story is also not the best. The setup is fantastic, the setting is great but the story itself was only vaguely interesting to me - and the more supernatural elements to the story I just found boring. In terms of what I was expect/hoping for I was disappointed. I put it on hard level and completed the game in less than 15 hours. I don't have any real yearning to go back either. When Bioshock came out and got rave reviews - the game I played surpassed my expectations (yes it's amazing!), I can say the same about Arkham City and Skyrim. The latter 2 games I have poured hours and hours, days of my life into - and which have rewarded me immensely! But I payed an equal price for all of these games. All at approximately £30. Had this game come in at half that price then I would probably mark it higher. But there is simply nothing in the game mechanics that struck me as 'wow I can do that!?' like the Gravity gun in HL2, or the Portal gun. Possession is only a new idea if you discount any of the sci-fi games which allow you to take control of robots. Teleporting is not a new idea. Sneaking around to get to an object is not a new idea. I wanted to like this game, I really did. But I was left rather hollow by it. However, I have played at least 70 hours of Skyrim and have loads left to do, so if I add the two games together and split the cost (same developer) then that's currently 42.5 hours per game and £30 a game, so it's not all bad.
    I feel a bit like a marketing genius has mind freaked all the critics into believing red is yellow, and they all went 'Oh yeah!' It's not a bad game, but it's not as exceptional as one might have hoped.....or been lead to believe!
  68. Nov 12, 2012
    I've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that itI've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that it feels quite limiting to the overall approach one should take throughout the game. This is coming from someone who prefers more open-ended games with a lot of weapons and less feeling of guilt as a result of using lethal force to neutralize hostiles. Anyway, I'm not discouraging people from playing Dishonored. I'm just suggesting that if you're favorite approach to combat is putting all bad guys to sleep without being detected, than this is right up your alley. Expand
  69. Oct 16, 2012
    I beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always putsI beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always puts you in line of sight, and it's basically luck if they see you or not (reminiscent of FPS mode in Metal Gear Solid 2). NPCs will start looking for you on one side of the map if you throw an empty bottle on the other. The entire hide and seek system is wonky and unnatural feeling.

I've been told this game is a sandbox and I'm playing it wrong. But how can you have a sandbox game with linear objectives (even the "alternative methods" present themselves linearly) and static environments. You can't blow up walls, knock over things, or put anything to use in the environment. The extent of environment interaction is turning off a barricade, disabling a turret, throwing empty bottles or throwing explosive barrels, take your pick. Oh also, this is a level based game
  70. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is fun, but it is certainly not the 8.7 reviewers give it. The game is really linear. Although the levels are large, you end up going back to the same areas. Another problem is that the gameplay is very repetitive. I spent most of the game hiding behind boxes with dark vision on. Jump out when they turn around and knock em out. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum until you've beaten the game. This game really reminded me of the old Thief series, just not as much fun. Although this is a stealth game most of the upgrades are for combat. Of all the runes and weapon upgrades most were pointless. You could easily beat the game with just the starting equipment and no runes or charms.

My biggest problem was the silly story. It was painfully obvious that you were going to be betrayed by the loyalists from the beginning. The dialouge was sooooo boring, and little to do with what you actually do in the levels. Graphically the game was OK, but not incredible. I have to give this game a 6.5 out of 10.
  71. Oct 15, 2012
    The word to describe this game would be creative. The developers forces you to be smart and create criative ways to complete your object. The action of the game is unique and inspiring, there are many possibilites and really funny ways to play. The graphics are not the best and not even great, maybe they can be considered as good, but it won't interfier your gameplay, besides, theThe word to describe this game would be creative. The developers forces you to be smart and create criative ways to complete your object. The action of the game is unique and inspiring, there are many possibilites and really funny ways to play. The graphics are not the best and not even great, maybe they can be considered as good, but it won't interfier your gameplay, besides, the enviroment is magnific.. I would like to give it an 8.5 but I don't have this option and a 9 sounds too much. The worst thing about the game is that it's not that big, I would consider it as a medium size game, bigger that many, but small compared to what could have been. Expand
  72. Oct 16, 2012
    It's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the settingIt's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the setting is impressive and it gives you a good start, but once you get accustomed to these factors you start looking for more. That Expand
  73. Oct 17, 2012
    Mediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoyingMediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoying really fast. I found myself only playing for about 45-60 minutes at a shot because the motion blur / camera design made me sick. Maybe worth a rent, but not $60. Expand
  74. Oct 25, 2012
    Decent game. The art style is great and the gameplay can be lots of fun in later parts of the game as you get more powers. But the story is lacking and the characters are hard to care about. In the end, nothing memorable or particulary exciting.
  75. Oct 28, 2012
    Just completed first playthrough and was entertained. It certainly is no 'Thief', but I enjoyed it for what it is and not what it is not. Will definitely replay again soon. Congratulations to Arkane!
  76. Oct 30, 2012
    Imagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. TheImagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. The steampunk-esque world Corvo inhabits is brilliantly put together and constantly demands your attention. Books fill you in on quite substantial amounts of genuinely interesting background story, while conversations pertaining to the world around you are quite often overheard.

Moving on, Dishonored's art style is incredible. The art director for the game won a BAFTA for outstanding art direction, and it shows. It looks as if Bioshock Infinite met Deus Ex and decided to have a baby, and then that baby then copulated with Half Life's City 17. It's superb.

I liked the graphics. A lot of people are saying that the graphics look "outdated" - first of all, that is untrue. The graphics are reasonably good for a 2012 title - the game uses the Unreal engine - but the fact that the graphics aren't outstandingly good is countered by the extraordinary artistic design. The game looks like an oil painting. (Practically every texture is hand painted) The lighting is sublime, and the fact that every location, from the grimy corpse ridden streets to the massive steel fortresses to the insides of the regal Victorian era houses, looks so beautifully hand crafted is enough to make this game one of the best looking games of the year. But what really shines above all is the level design. If you've heard that finding alternate pathways in this game is a bit like DX:HR then you'd be completely incorrect. The game doesn't just provide you with a series of vents; it provides you with practically endless alternatives. Every one of the 9 levels is basically a sandbox, so exploring them is fun and rewarding.

The problem with games nowadays is that developers want gamers to see everything they've made, providing you with few, if any, alternate pathways to completing a mission. With Dishonored, it's as if the developers didn't really care about you seeing anything they'd made - every time I went through a mission I'd find a completely different path, even if I was certain I'd found every nook and cranny there was to be found in my first play through.

The gameplay is phenomenal. Corvo moves in a remarkably smooth manner, and every action, from stabbing someone through the throat to jumping down from a rooftop, sliding underneath a table and climbing a building feel almost real. The combat is superlative. Crossing swords (haha), slashing someone's leg off, and countering a guard with a quick stab to the face feels not only incredibly rewarding, but very realistic as well. I think the diversity in the gameplay - you can go through the entire game without killing anyone - a true and much needed breath of fresh air.

To conclude, not only do I think this work of unbelievable genius is the best game of the year, I think it's one of the best games of the decade. Aside from everything I've written above, the one thing that Dishonored has that makes it a step up from any other competition is the fact that it is an absolute joy to play. If you're looking for a game that is incredible amounts of fun, as well as interesting and prodigiously well made, look no further than Dishonored.
  77. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a big fan of stealth, hide-n-sneek, strategic type of games I was personally looking forward to this game. So rather not waste time and let's start the review(I'll try to keep spoilers to the absolute minimum).
    +Game art, graphics, style are genuine and awesome!
    +Weapons are a handful, ranging from sneak up behind and slid-a-throat type knifes to take-out-on-range types crossbows and pistol! Couple of grenades, and deployables come in handy as well!
    +Smart improvisation of magical powers, will make you _want_ to use them at your advantage as much as possible, and it's super-fun!
    +Almost as high as 12-15 different ways of killing/assassinating a single enemy, which will make you replay a mission uniquely every time.
    +Story-wise, I won't comment so you'll _HAVE TO_ play it!
    +Decent bit of unlockable items such as runes for powers, whale bones, upgrades to your knife, mask etc! Books, etc etc etc. decent amount of replayability and fun right there, again!
    -Uses a tremendous amount of CPU resources, so if your PC isn't moderately powerful, forget about it!
    -More than 5-6 hours of continuous playing will make the story a bit more predictable and missions a bit repetitive, kinda like Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell-ish, but that's that. I mean it's a stealth game and it's not the 1st one out there, so you can't go out and draw comparisons between Dishonored and Assassin's Creed or any other game for that matter.

Over-all, the game is great, it's fun and it's fairly replayable, so forget the haters(lol) and buy it and play it and get on assassinating them bad boys ;) !!!
  78. Oct 19, 2012
    I read a few reviews before I even started playing Dishonored, and I wished I hadn't. I was expecting some top-shelf title that once again is touted to produce ecstatic experiences in the media blitz, but only manages to produce nausea once released. While Dishonored is not carved wholesale from diamonds rent from the earth by Vestal Virgins, it is not a bad game. I didn't get what II read a few reviews before I even started playing Dishonored, and I wished I hadn't. I was expecting some top-shelf title that once again is touted to produce ecstatic experiences in the media blitz, but only manages to produce nausea once released. While Dishonored is not carved wholesale from diamonds rent from the earth by Vestal Virgins, it is not a bad game. I didn't get what I expected going in, but after a steady diet of Assassin's Creed titles for the last four years my view of 'stealth FPS' had been greatly skewed. Dishonored has much more in common with titles like Hitman or Thief, where one is much better off staying hidden, picking off guards one at a time, than leaping from the shadows in a flurry of steel a-la Ezio Auditore. The more I played the more I found myself enjoying this Predacious style of gameplay. It is both challenging and fun. Not in the human blender style of Assassin's Creed but more the patient planning and observation of Hitman or Thief. Sadly, where the game falls down, hard, is in the writing. The setting and set-up have the makings of an excellent novel but the execution is quite basic. Without preamble, without the chance to get into the skin of your character (Say with an introductory mission) you are told that you are the Empress' personal bodyguard, that you are a formidable swordsman, and it is hinted that you are secretly (or not so secretly) in love with the empress. My first gripe here is that the swordplay is incredibly basic, it is shot through with some glorious animations, but none of them are within your control. The second is, that I am being TOLD what to think and feel. Before I even have a chance to meet the empress I am being told how to feel towards her, a few extra minutes of dialogue, an extra scene or two could suck me right in here, but alas I am left wanting. If you liked Thief, Hitman, or Deus Ex Dishonored is a welcome addition to the genre, but go in for fun, not world-changing ideas. Expand
  79. Dec 21, 2012
    Stalker Mage's Dream. I myself having fun being stalker in various game. I also happy to become mage too. But never i can be both in any game as they never blend stalker and mage together perfectly. Until this game, Dishonered, the game that made my dream come true. This is a Stalker Mage Dream. Must play.
  80. Nov 14, 2012
    It's a shame really, Dishonored is not bad. And merely not bad. The stealth "system" is sadly not a patch on the ancient Thief games and the selection of weapons is quite good but not really anything new. The steampunk setting and artistic style is interesting but plotwise there were no surprises. I am intrigued to play it a second time to find all the secrets but sadly this game didn'tIt's a shame really, Dishonored is not bad. And merely not bad. The stealth "system" is sadly not a patch on the ancient Thief games and the selection of weapons is quite good but not really anything new. The steampunk setting and artistic style is interesting but plotwise there were no surprises. I am intrigued to play it a second time to find all the secrets but sadly this game didn't live up to the hype. Close but no cigar. Had they made light make more of a difference in stealth I might have really enjoyed this. Expand
  81. Nov 13, 2012
    For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink'For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink' ability but they were few and far between and didn't tarnish my enjoyable experience. Thoroughly worth spending a few of your hard earned pennies on Expand
  82. Oct 24, 2012
    I was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, althoughI was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, although a little washed out looking. But when they tell you you will not be seen while leaning, it's a lie. Because I did so many times. Of course it has its kinks and its bugs, but what game doesn't? Whether Bethesda decides to make a sequel to this or leave it as a stand-alone game, I will be happy either way. I can't wait for the DLC! Expand
  83. Oct 21, 2012
    Before I start, let me just say Dishonored may very well be my vote for Game of the Year. First of all, the game is quite simply beautiful, even though texture resolution may be a bit low in places. The art style is just that good. Furthermore, the levels are all beautifully fleshed out and almost flawlessly convey the game's rather horrifying mood. The levels are also wonderful from aBefore I start, let me just say Dishonored may very well be my vote for Game of the Year. First of all, the game is quite simply beautiful, even though texture resolution may be a bit low in places. The art style is just that good. Furthermore, the levels are all beautifully fleshed out and almost flawlessly convey the game's rather horrifying mood. The levels are also wonderful from a gameplay perspective: there are multiple ways to accomplish all objectives, and almost all of them feel natural and balanced. The game world will also react in many ways to your actions; this can range from changes in each character's story arc to simple changes in notes and wanted posters. I'd like a little more of the former and less of the latter, but that's something a lot of games struggle with and Dishonored does it better than most. A couple of the levels also drag on a bit, and as a whole you can blow through the game in a handful of hours if you want to. But if you do, you're really doing yourself a disservice. And like most stealth games, the AI can seem blind, stupid, and melodramatic at times, even on the maximum difficulty. But all in all, I really wish there were more games that were trying to do what Dishonored tries. It's not quite perfect in many respects, but the developers deserve huge success for making such a beautiful and multi-faceted game, and getting the majority of it right. Expand
  84. Oct 29, 2012
    Dishonored = "Thief" remade, and I am so glad to see it back in this way. It has that same "Steampunk" look and feel, the sneaking around everywhere, the various arrow types for the crossbow, eye zoom, pickpocket and item-theft, place-able mines, silent kill/knockouts, even the sounds and music - it's all there. Certain guard NPC types even remind me of the "Hammerites". This is a veryDishonored = "Thief" remade, and I am so glad to see it back in this way. It has that same "Steampunk" look and feel, the sneaking around everywhere, the various arrow types for the crossbow, eye zoom, pickpocket and item-theft, place-able mines, silent kill/knockouts, even the sounds and music - it's all there. Certain guard NPC types even remind me of the "Hammerites". This is a very well-executed game. I noticed zero technical issues. The game gives the player a sense of being on his own with few boundaries to contend with. Linear play is noticeable, to a degree, but not so much so that it detracts from the fun and interest. When I'm in game, I am consumed with the experience and I cannot say that about many games. What a splendid break from all the run-n-gun, bust-in-and-blow-everyone's-face-off type games. There is some thinking to do here if you want to get past that guard point unnoticed. You'll need to move that body out of the way, and quickly, unless you'd like to attract more heat than you can handle. Very good. One man shouldn't be able to take on more than two others, and yet even Dishonored will forgive you, to an extent, if you try. I'm glad I bought this game. But, ah, I will say this: I'm giving it a 9 instead of 10 because I don't like to be penalized for killing. In Dishonored, if you choose to kill your way through, you'll have to deal with more of the carnivorous rats, than if you had chosen to merely knock people unconscious (and by choking???.... that takes more than 2 seconds). Minor annoyance I suppose. The game is still a fabulous work, to me anyway. I'd definitely buy a Part II. Expand
  85. Nov 15, 2012
    To keep this short this game was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the game play and had a blast playing through it 2 times. However it lacks in story and depth so if you are looking to be entertained for a few days then I highly recommend giving this game a play through! However don't be disappointed if this game doesn't fully reach your expectations.
  86. Nov 20, 2012
    This game didn't made to the tops for many reasons but it deserves to be in your library.
  87. Dec 17, 2012
    I've just finished Dishonord. It is very nice game with steam-punk atmosphеre, remarkable passage, but very boring story. I will not dwell on the gameplay. it is beautiful, but the characters are not finalized, the plot is clear from the start, and the denouement completely sad. I recommend this game to people who do not think about history, ready to pass the levels many times andI've just finished Dishonord. It is very nice game with steam-punk atmosphеre, remarkable passage, but very boring story. I will not dwell on the gameplay. it is beautiful, but the characters are not finalized, the plot is clear from the start, and the denouement completely sad. I recommend this game to people who do not think about history, ready to pass the levels many times and did not pay attention to the obvious mistakes. Expand
  88. Dec 22, 2012
    Now lets get one thing straight, this game is not perfect, it is not a 10/10 and does have some flaws however, Everyone who is giving this game silly low scores obviously haven't played any games in the last 2 years or even longer since nothing has really been released that is as engaging or rich than Dishonored.

I'll start off with the Graphics, sure, they are not the highest end

I'll start off with the Graphics, sure, they are not the highest end graphics, but that's not a bad thing, It means it runs fine even on laptops, besides, the artwork and design is so good, the atmosphere really takes hold which brings me nicely to the sound and noise of this game, Bone charms have "songs" and everything makes some kind of noise all of which, are usually very UN-nerving, creepy almost, in sound, this adds a lot to the atmosphere, for the people saying the atmosphere was rubbish, are you using £1.99 speakers? or iPod headphones?

Now to the story, I like the way it has been told, Most games kind of just plonk you in the game and explain itself all at the start so you play through a part of it, In dishonored, you kind of have to explorer different paths, listen to conversations between NPC's and read the books, notes and simply listen to everything to get the full story, it makes a change compared to the usual way games tend to tell a story and for that, Dishonored should be given some kind of award for trying something new in a recession.

Now the actual game play and powers, the Assassin skills have been done before admit-ably, but in Dishonored, I don't have to go through some silly button bashing or "press-this-sequence-of-buttons-to-do-a-cool-melee-move" its just a simple matter of good timing and returning enemy blows. I like this as it makes it far more engaging to fight and the enemy are quick to fight back.

The game rarely challenges the player due to the powers making it easier than normal to go through the world but I think that's the point, if you use no powers at all, damn it's difficult!

Anyway bottom line is, sure, it has issues, but when compared to the competition in the last 2-3 years, its absolutely brilliant.
  89. Jan 6, 2013
    It is unbelievable, as many have stated, that critics alike are giving this game such terrific overall scoring. This game does many things well, but as you proceed into it's rather thin an uninspiring story, we start to notice that the game is incredibly one sided in the sense that presentation and atmosphere are the standalone achievements of this development, not the story nor the gameIt is unbelievable, as many have stated, that critics alike are giving this game such terrific overall scoring. This game does many things well, but as you proceed into it's rather thin an uninspiring story, we start to notice that the game is incredibly one sided in the sense that presentation and atmosphere are the standalone achievements of this development, not the story nor the game play. While the faults of this title are not the worst in the genre, they do stand out enough to make DIshonored a 6 or 7, in my book. Even with the RUSHED ending, so so characters, the lack of tangled character twists, Dishonored is still worth checking out for the graphical experience. While the game play is not very involved, Dishonored still lets you (but never forces) create your own ways to go about infiltrating monstrous environments that are crawling with foes. Always fun, even if you can't help but think how other titles did it better than Dishonored. Pick it up at a budget price (19.99) but, please, don't listen to the hype on this one. Expand
  90. Feb 12, 2013
    A flawed masterpiece. There are many engaging elements to this game, I'm not going to list them all because it is well worth you finding out for yourself. The stealth mechanic works well, enabling the player to assume the persona of Dishonored with ease. Characters are well presented, well written, the only flaw here is that some of the more important ones could have done with a bit moreA flawed masterpiece. There are many engaging elements to this game, I'm not going to list them all because it is well worth you finding out for yourself. The stealth mechanic works well, enabling the player to assume the persona of Dishonored with ease. Characters are well presented, well written, the only flaw here is that some of the more important ones could have done with a bit more back story before being dissolved into the plot. Completionists will find there is plenty to do with collecting coins and treasure, but therein lies another flaw. The game drives you forward, often leaving you uncertain as to whether you can or will return to an area where side quests and goodies lie in wait. There is an emphasis on being merciful rather than lethal but this is contradicted by the plethora of deadly weapons and gadgets available to you, if you favour not killing everything then you will only have two weapons (well one of them is a 'move') at your disposal during the entire game. The spell powers you get are again well designed and implemented however, again, most are geared towards killing, not subduing. Overall the desire to push on is strong, and all flaws aside Dishonored creates a thoroughly absorbing and memorable new universe in which to lose yourself. I highly recommend adding this game to your library! Expand
  91. Oct 1, 2013
    Dishonored is the best stealth-game available. It also have a very cool steam-punk setting and nice rpg-elements.The story is ok, but the missions the story provide a backdrop for are excellent.
  92. Jul 12, 2013
    Not the worst game I've ever played, but certainly not the best. Stealth is made easy with all of the different powers that you have, and just going around killing is no fun whatsoever. The entire game is basically doing the same thing. Go to this place to kill or silence this character you don't care about, and then do the same thing a little while later. The runes and bone charms are funNot the worst game I've ever played, but certainly not the best. Stealth is made easy with all of the different powers that you have, and just going around killing is no fun whatsoever. The entire game is basically doing the same thing. Go to this place to kill or silence this character you don't care about, and then do the same thing a little while later. The runes and bone charms are fun to customize, but I feel as though there aren't enough of them. The story is pretty predictable, and isn't worth playing for alone. If you enjoy stealth games, this is the game for you. If you do not, then avoid it. Expand
  93. Apr 8, 2013
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    The background, the environment, is top notch. You can clearly see bethesda at its best in the small details, a very good steampunk, grimdark environment gaining some depth with every book you find. The plot is believable, even tough nothing new, and thankfully it's about one city and its government, not another "save the universe" cheap crappy plot. Music and graphics are also very good, and you can see that a lot of work went into this game. In fact, while horrible messes like Mass Effect 3 are probably mistakes to blame on a corporate timetable imposed on the developers, the problems of Dishonored are mostly about the game mechanics themselves.
    The bad:
    The stealth is quite shallow, being built around skills that allow you to blink around and stop time. It is in fact a better game if you simply refrain from using such skills most of the time, but you will come across some section which will force you to do that. Going for a killing spree is just plain boring, and I wouldn't recommend that, in the same way I wouldn't recommend it in Deus Ex HR.
    The game also has pretty much no replay value. Maybe I'll pick it up again in some months, and then forget it forever.
  94. Nov 8, 2012
    A game that is absolutely wonderful and quite long if played stealthy and possibly without killing anyone, but also rather frustrating, since while the developers pushed for a stealth approach, actual stealth mechanics are stripped to a few options, compared to the wide range of powers and gadgets aiming towards direct assaults or killing galore. The graphics are fantastic: sure they'reA game that is absolutely wonderful and quite long if played stealthy and possibly without killing anyone, but also rather frustrating, since while the developers pushed for a stealth approach, actual stealth mechanics are stripped to a few options, compared to the wide range of powers and gadgets aiming towards direct assaults or killing galore. The graphics are fantastic: sure they're not hyper-realistic, but they have a very personal style, which makes it way more fascinating than the usually dull AAA 3D. The story is ok: predictable but nice, though it lacks some emotional power. Expand
  95. Dec 20, 2012
    Fantastic game, game of the year. Loads of options on how to approach each level and some awesome spells and abilities an real immersive game world with great characters.
  96. Nov 29, 2012
    Dishonored is great in a lot of ways, but mediocre in a few. It has an excellent setting and level design, and there are many ways to accomplish objectives, whether by sneaking over rooftops, disabling alarm systems or just brute forcing your way though. That said, the enemy AI is pretty bad and stealth is rather simplistic, depending mainly on line of sight, not light level. The storyDishonored is great in a lot of ways, but mediocre in a few. It has an excellent setting and level design, and there are many ways to accomplish objectives, whether by sneaking over rooftops, disabling alarm systems or just brute forcing your way though. That said, the enemy AI is pretty bad and stealth is rather simplistic, depending mainly on line of sight, not light level. The story is just... eh. I never really hated any of the antagonists, even in the last few missions, but maybe that's the point. I had heard a playthrough is pretty short, but if you explore or enjoy the stealth aspect you can expect about 15 hours. Expand
  97. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is great. It's a tonne of fun and I recommend it to anyone who likes stealth games. The only problem I have with this game is that killing everyone and your targets gets you a bad ending and doing everything the non lethal way gets you a good ending. This would be fine if the game didn't seem to be so tailored to you killing people. While there's a million different way to killThis game is great. It's a tonne of fun and I recommend it to anyone who likes stealth games. The only problem I have with this game is that killing everyone and your targets gets you a bad ending and doing everything the non lethal way gets you a good ending. This would be fine if the game didn't seem to be so tailored to you killing people. While there's a million different way to kill targets (And it's probably not lot more fun if you get creative) there's only a couple of ways to non-lethally dispatch enemies, sleep darts and choking them, rendering most powers and upgrades almost useless. This doesn't stop the game from being hella fun though, so buy it. Expand
  98. Nov 27, 2012
    As a Thief fan, I will honestly say that I was slightly disappointed by Dishonored. First of all, let me say that Dishonored's visual aesthetics and world design is astounding; the city of Dunwall feels like a real place and a lot of effort has gone into its history. The gameplay itself is a mixed bag: the powers are generally quite useful and never feel unnecessary (except for theAs a Thief fan, I will honestly say that I was slightly disappointed by Dishonored. First of all, let me say that Dishonored's visual aesthetics and world design is astounding; the city of Dunwall feels like a real place and a lot of effort has gone into its history. The gameplay itself is a mixed bag: the powers are generally quite useful and never feel unnecessary (except for the possibly game breaking Dark Vision), the sword combat is challenging although unsophisticated and movement is smooth and intuitive, but I don't feel they make the most of the rooftops through use of blink and the levels in general feel somewhat restrictive compared to Thief. Despite some good uses of environmental & emergent storytelling, the actual plot is fairly poor in Dishonored. The plot is predictable and the silent protagonist actually cripples the storytelling and characterisation; with characters all having great visual design, but mostly bland personalities. Technically, the game is quite a good port; with a good amount of customisation and an FOV slider, plus the option to disable smoothing. Overall though, Dishonored is a bold attempt to mix stealth and action with some great mechinics and setting, but it's let down by a lack of depth in the story or characters, some AI issues and the limitations of both the levels and the powers available. Still well worth a purchase, and an excellent introduction to stealth games. Expand
  99. Nov 11, 2012
    Aun me queda la ultima mision pero este juego es una de las mayores sorpresas del año
    Es desafiante, divertido y esta lleno de posibilidades.
    Quizas hubiera venido bien la inclusion de un mapa de los niveles en vez de que te marquen los objetivos a lo Call of Duty.
    GRAFICOS: 8,5 SONIDO:8,5 JUGABILIDAD: 8,5 DURACION: 8
    TOTAL: 8,4
  100. Dec 25, 2012
    After the first hour of this game, I was very disappointed. I thought it was tedious, linear, and a complete waste of money. The trailers and and media made it seem as if the game was nonlinear and offered freedom of choice; indeed, one trailer even made it look like there'd be parkour involved. I was quite excited, and after playing through the beginning, I found the reality to be utterlyAfter the first hour of this game, I was very disappointed. I thought it was tedious, linear, and a complete waste of money. The trailers and and media made it seem as if the game was nonlinear and offered freedom of choice; indeed, one trailer even made it look like there'd be parkour involved. I was quite excited, and after playing through the beginning, I found the reality to be utterly disgraceful. Boring, easy enemies and a completely linear path made the gameplay a grind. Intrusive objective markers and a huge HUD floated on my screen, and poor controls made me wonder if this was really a terrible console port.

However, since I try to withhold judgment on games until I've played for at least two or three hours, I kept playing. Shortly after the first hour, the game really opened up quickly. I started discovering how useful the jump/grab system was, and I started getting into the meat of Dishonored. I messed around in the options menu, and realized I could turn off the bits of the HUD that I didn't like. I mapped the misplaced block key to one of my gaming mouse thumb buttons, which really helped the gameplay. I got out of the beginner phase, and realized the game is far from linear. Deus Ex is similar, but Dishonored is actually more open, with more realistic ways to climb over stuff in the environment.

There's no parkour, sadly, but Dishonored comes very close. You have a long reach when jumping, and you can pull yourself fluidly up on almost any plausible surface. The combat is a little sluggish, but it's nowhere near as bad as Deus Ex or Killzone 2 in that regard. Both of those are great games in their own right, but I don't think anyone could play them without thinking that the combat is kind of unresponsive.

About an hour into the game, you get into areas with a lot of alternate paths. Really, I don't even want to call them paths. You're set loose in a city district, and you can jump, slide, and climb your way to most areas within the district. You generally hold a sword in one hand and a special weapon like a pistol, crossbow, tool, or spell in the other hand.

The graphics are decidedly meh. The art direction is good, and they make use of lighting effects such as ambient occlusion and sun shafts, but overall the polygon counts and texture resolutions are a little on the low side. Having said that, most of the time the game is really quite pretty, though I don't think it ever really looks realistic. It's easy to run smoothly as well, and that's not just because of the mediocre graphics. It's well optimized, like most Unreal 3 Engine games are, and my GTX 460 and Phenom II x4 run it well above 60 fps on ultra at 1080p.

So, in short, if you only play the first hour or two of this game, you'll probably be disgusted. The tutorial and beginner mission is really not interesting at all, and it makes the game seem like a generic, linear stealth shooter. If you play past the first hour or two, however, Dishonored becomes awesome, and completely lives up to the trailers and hype. There are relatively wide and unique open areas, the lore becomes interesting, and the stealth is world-class. I'm very glad I didn't ditch the game after the first hour, because it has a real shot at becoming my favorite game ever. I deduct one point because the intro is lackluster, and it probably turns off a lot of people since it's not an accurate representation of the game. Arkane should probably work on their first impressions. Everything of theirs that I've played since Arx Fatalis has had a very weak first hour.
  101. Feb 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game, but also somewhat of disappointment. I probably wanted it to be like Thief more than I should have, and although there are many similarities to Thief, the game-play just doesn't live up to it. The story, design and characters are all superb, and it's proof that a new idea, and a different approach to the typical shooter, can be successful.
    By the time I'd finished
    By the time I'd finished the game, trying to keep the death-count as low as possible, I felt like I'd missed out on taking a more savage approach to the missions. So I replayed the whole game, and tried to kill as many of the bad-guys as possible (and even a few innocents along the way), and it was like a different game. I'm all for choice within game, and a flexibility to how missions can be approached, but I think the game would have been slightly improved by, once in a while, forcing you to take either a stealthy approach or a guns-blazing approach (similar to the Thief games). This would have meant that someone like me, who's default approach would always be stealth, would have had the chance to let-loose once in a while. I know that choice was always there, and I could have done exactly that at any point, but I didn't really believe that the bad-guys really deserved to die. They were just following whomever was in command, after all. My immersion in the game's narrative was actually preventing me from having a bit of fun. Maybe if some of the levels contained baddies who really deserved getting blown-up or an arrow to the head I would have had more chance to use more of my weaponry on my first play-though. There were times when a stealthy approach was the best way to avoid being killed, so these situations forced you to use more softly-softly tactics, but there was no point when a more action-packed method was essential. Sometimes, too much choice is a bad thing.
    Once I did decided to replay the game and in a more gung-ho fashion, I noticed how much EASIER the game had become. I could breeze through some of the levels in a fraction of the time I did when I was trying not to kill anyone, and I started to understand the criticism of those who took this approach on their first play-though and felt short-changed.
    Also, I appreciate the fact that the developers spent a lot of time to make sure each platform was given individual focus, but it still felt as if the PC version retained too many aspects of the console version. The ability to turn off most of the HUD elements, for example, is proof of this, but it took so long for me to figure-out which I needed and which I didn't that it probably spoiled the opening chapter. This is a probably a separate discussion, but you've got to ask yourself why do developers need to add so many HUD elements to make the game easier? If you can turn them off, and are still be able to play the game, then why have them in the first place? If the game needs them then why not just find other ways to offer clues to the player? Glowing objects, a compass and a map with objective indicators are usually more than enough, and have been a staple of FPS games since the Doom-era, so why introduce more clutter on the screen and destroy the immersion? Is it because they think console gamers are generally stupid, or perhaps it's because they're catering to gamers who are too young to play the game, but who they know inevitably will? This seems a far more reasonable explanation, and it's a real shame that a game's rating (18 in this case) shouldn't also reflect the intellect of the age-range it's aimed at. There's no evidence (despite what some may believe) that PC gamers over the age of 18 are any more intelligent than console gamers over the age of 18, so introducing ways to make the game easier, beyond the usual difficulty levels; which generally affect combat rather than game-play; can only be catering to younger players. And that is just WRONG. Anyway, I digress.
    Despite all this, Dishonored was like a breath of fresh-air, and I hope it gives more developers the courage to try something different with the common FPS. And I eagerly look forward to the inevitable sequel. Instead of filling the Thief-void, though, it just made me want Thief 4 to come sooner!

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]