8.3

1. Nov 25, 2012
    I sadly thought this game was going to be unique and a major change in the industries but I was wrong. The trailers were misleading along with countless reviews. The game has many fine aspects and ideas but all are horribly used. At the beginning the game seems interesting and exciting, but shortly after it feels like you have done everything before and the missions get repetitive. It alsoI sadly thought this game was going to be unique and a major change in the industries but I was wrong. The trailers were misleading along with countless reviews. The game has many fine aspects and ideas but all are horribly used. At the beginning the game seems interesting and exciting, but shortly after it feels like you have done everything before and the missions get repetitive. It also feels as if a large part of the game was missing, content wise. Their were limited weapons and abilities. Also the stealth aspect was poorly done which lead to alot of problems and very many of the characters seemed uninteresting. The story was also quite short and very predictable after about the third mission. Also their was no real need for strategies, But when you used strategie it was time consuming and easily destroyed by countless bugs and a poorly made rating system called "The Chaos metre" which counted the times you were seen, the number killed or left unconscious was also poorly executed. Finally the graphics and the rendering system in place were absolute terrible, it's 2012, not 2008. Many times when rotating around I was met with quite a fair bit of lag on a machine meant to handle resource hogging games, but apparently the devs never got the memo on efficiently rendering and good graphics and little ol'e textures. In all honesty this game had some great ideas but failed to execute them properly and was followed by a dull story. I will give this game a 4 for the slight enjoyment I had. So all in all, rent the game Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    Short and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once youShort and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once you find an easy way to kill say a tank, then you have no problem fighting it for the remainder of the game. The writers put in things for shock and awe that please casual gamers. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  4. Oct 11, 2012
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    This is not a game where you get 3 choices for a mission. The choices being stealth, negociation, and force. Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The areas are completly open (even though there are loadings between each, which are VERY short, around 1 second for me between each area), and you can sneak everywhere looking for the best ways, instead of being pointed to one direction by the level design.

The game really let's you play. Once you are dropped in a map, it's up to you to do anything you want. And it is SO satisfying.

The setting is absolutly incredible. The world is believable, and so well crafted. The graphics won't win a polygon count, but they are just beautiful. Ignore the people saying the texture are low res. It is not true. They just "seem" that way because of the "water painting" style the artists chose. Proof can be seen all over the map, writtings on walls and billboards can be read very clearly, if the textures was low res, it would not be possible.

The voice acting is excellent, and NPCs will interact between each other when close.
    For exemple, I was about to kill one guard by jumping on top of him, when he started to chat with a maid, I got curious and waited to see what it was about, at the end of the little chat the guard said with a sigh "Is this what it's going to be like when we are married?". This were 2 randoms NPCs in a house, not important quest related NPCs, and suddently, they became "more real". And I couldn't kill him.
    Another favorite of mine, is when guard patrols and they whistle lullabies our mother would sing us when we were babies. It adds to the setting, and the feeling of despair. Everyone is afraid, everyone is at risk, and so when they whistle to relieve their mind, they go back to a happier time, when their mothers used to sing for them...
    Just beautiful.
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .ThereI have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  6. Oct 10, 2012
    This is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not aThis is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not a lore guy at all. But this game, the atmosphere, the vibes you get from the environment just pull you into the story and you actually enjoy it, and want to see what is going to happen next. You also have the power to change up the story a bit depending upon what choices you make. Expand
  7. Oct 14, 2012
    Just avoid this game. The hype was unjustified beyond reason. Started the game on the Very Hard difficulty (the hardest of 4 difficulties) within 11 hours of gameplay I was on the second to last mission (had to check due to problem that will occur further into the review). This gameplay flew by the whole time I was thinking this has to get harder Im trying for difficulty but no matter whatJust avoid this game. The hype was unjustified beyond reason. Started the game on the Very Hard difficulty (the hardest of 4 difficulties) within 11 hours of gameplay I was on the second to last mission (had to check due to problem that will occur further into the review). This gameplay flew by the whole time I was thinking this has to get harder Im trying for difficulty but no matter what my approach, stealth or combat I found that nothing was an issue. Walking into a square with 12 people took them all down with 1 skill didn't need a weapon or any of the other fancy things the game offered. The entire game came down to blink on them push attack cut their face off and repeat. Health and mana potions were beyond abundant. I always seemed to have all full potions full health full mana and an abudance of ammo and money. As I progressed getting ever more bored and distraught with the game, I reached a massively game breaking error. The 2nd to last level you do (a very specific thing) and are met with a cutscene this is followed by a loading screen, Every time the loading screen ended it would replay the same cutscene and go straight back into the loading screen after 14 hours of leaving it on to load and attempting to restart to try loading again I finally gave up. The games setting was nothing new and nothing else offered by the game made me even remotely interested in restarting in an attempt to get past that bug.

The game is extremely dissatisfying and should be avoided. Gameplay 0 - The stealth mechanics are shotty, the AI is hilarious in its levels of bad, the originality is non-existent, Combat is laughable in its ease, Character development is non existent as well. Insanely short!
    Concept 1- The game offers nothing new just a mesh and swarm of everything that's been done before put into 1 game, the sad part is every game it is using as inspiration is longer and has much more depth to every aspect that was "stolen".
    Sound 0- Turned it off within 10 minutes, music was dull and never matched the pace of the game, sound quality during all game mechanics was the same... time always slows down, blink possess, opening menus, using any of your powers, blocking, swinging your sword... they all had the same sound effect of time slowing down.
    Play ability - 0 - Game glitched tot he point where beating it became a physical impossibility no game that does this will ever be awarded anything but an absolute 0 in this category. In addition to this massive bug there are little ones that I constantly noticed around the game. Things like getting shot by a guy holding nothing but a sword, or killing someone only to have their dead body kill you as well (death by cutscene into they somehow managed to shoot while you were ripping their face off).
    Replay -0- I dont think I would ever replay this game, I couldn't be bothered to replay it to see the ending of it and the only other 2 people I know agree that its so easy on the hardest difficulty that there is no reason to replay it.

Overall .25 which will be rounded down because they lose 1 point for un playable game. If I could neg this game I would.
  8. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem, journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  9. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approachesThis is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    This is one of the better games that I've bought in the last few years. It exceeds guild wars 2, battlefield 3, and many others in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. The gameplay is smooth as silk, and you get very immersed when you are stalking your prey. Huge fights give an adrenaline rush from all of the unpredictable chaos that happens which is a big bonus. I'd give it a 10, but theThis is one of the better games that I've bought in the last few years. It exceeds guild wars 2, battlefield 3, and many others in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. The gameplay is smooth as silk, and you get very immersed when you are stalking your prey. Huge fights give an adrenaline rush from all of the unpredictable chaos that happens which is a big bonus. I'd give it a 10, but the game is a little more cartoony than I would have expected, and the blood effects leave just a tiny bit to be desired in your killing sprees Expand
  11. Oct 10, 2012
    I haven't completed the game's campaign yet but it's game-play is great, the art-design of the game's environment makes an applaud for me. The setting of the game is unique and original. What else could I say? One problem I did not enjoy was the NPC s suddenly shooting something at me out of nowhere and stopped. A minor bug I suppose?
    9.5/10
    Still, another Great Game Of The Year.
  12. Oct 18, 2012
    Once i saw CGI trailer of game, i was cheated to think and hope Dishonored would be finally 1st true stealth game of last 5 years, since SC3, HBM, T3 and Crysis that does it right, unfortunately it didn't.
    I expected stealth mechanics to be just like in Chronicles of Riddick of Thief 3 (in FPS mode) or Splinter Cell 3 or at least like in Dark Messiah - i wanted to hide in shadows and have advanced AI and be aware of full body with legs. Unfortunately stealth gameplay in this game is frustrating and broken, even worse than latest DXHR was (where you also cant hide in shadows and where AI is pretty dumb and when most of stealth features locked for about half of game), it even worse than it was in Dark Messiah. AI is dumb, deaf and blind to compensate lack of hiding in shadows. Yes you heard me right, thats another pseudo-stealth game that ignores lighting, also when you sneaking you do not even produce footsteps sounds.
    I expected hand to hand combat to be just like in dark messiah or even better, but instead it became worse, i cant even punch anyone and send him flying into death trap, because i have no legs, animation is no that smooth as i expected, sometime it shifts from one phase to another quite jerky, and combat is just a bit random, combo of magic and sword is not that effective as it was in Dark Messiah.
    I expected parkour part of game to be just like in Mirror's edge, realistic, fluid, with full body awareness. And yet again there is nothing like this, everything done simply by cheating and moving magic pointer in right place.
    And shooting... well there is no shooting in this game, pistol is useless and darts - part of primitive stealth gameplay.
    I also expected pc version to have dynamic shadows and lighting and high res textures, but everything is pretty much static and lighting of arm is delayed, body of any NPC can disappear randomly (in stealth game where you need to drag them? seriously?), and textures just awful, super low res. Strange, but Splinter Cell 1 on PS2 was far more advanced that this so its not really a hardware limitation.

I expected character to be part of game world, a person with voice that merged into world, but instead i have yet another unrealistic silent character and npc that doest care about his silence (Half Life anyone? Crysis 2?).

These things really disappointed me, this game had great potential, but it was wasted, and instead of having best of all games, we only get bits of other games, and these bits doesn't work well together, game feels and plays like some alpha version where most of necessary features not implemented and have placeholder like "we will add ability to hide in shadows in next build, now just play with almost blind AI instead".

I really hope that just like Skyrim, this game will have patches that will not only fix some minor bugs, but will add gameplay features as well, and 1st thing Arkane must improve - is stealth, they must add hiding in shadow, enhance AI, and make them blind only in dark places; second thing - they add fully animated body. It shame that in 2012 some first person games still have no body awareness. Just look at riddick and syndicate or mirror's edge - that how it should be done. Third thing they must add - voice acting for Carvo and bidirectional interaction between him and other characters.

But despite those flaws setting, art direction and story are very good (together, story itself, separate from setting is not that good), and only they keeps me from giving this game low score, without them i would give it like a 5 of 10, with them its 7.5 of 10, but stealth, body and voice improvements could make it a solid 10 of 10 i mean real 10, not over-hyped 10 like most of magazines and blind fanboys gave this game.

P.S. - its really sad to see how stealth genre was dumbed down and downgraded in last 5 years... most of current stealth games outdated comparing to old good Riddick, Splinter Cell 3 and Thief 2 or 3 or Crysis 1, most of current gen "stealth" games, including Deus EX Human Revolution and Dishonored, returned to state of 199X era, with very simple and primitive stealth features and AI.
    Please keep that in mind Arkane and any other Stealth devs and do a proper stealth action or don't do it at all.

Despite i stated its a 7.5 of 10, when i wrote last part of review i started to remember how many stealth features of true stealth games missing in action these days, and since game was pushed mainly as stealth game i changed my mind... i was generous too much for ART and Settings, so my final score is 6 of 10. And one more thing that frustrates me - standards became so low these days, people overhyped about mediocre games and gives them 10 of 10, but clunky games would not have a chance to get more than 5-7 of 10 in 2000-2005 era.
    Also i must note that i agree with what people, which gave this game a 0, wrote, but i disagree about giving it a Zero, 5 is minimum it deserves.
  13. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or youAmazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or you can be a ruthless assassin that leaves none alive. Also, this game has a lot of replay value, you can complete the game numerous times and not get tired of it. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2012
    The different ways to complete the missions is quite good, and the world is pretty good but the massive downside is the AI is bad, and the stealth mechanics need alot of work, the problem is it just seems completly luck and not skill if someone sees you or not as sometimes you get seen walking up near them other times you can walk about 20 metres right in front of them and they don't seeThe different ways to complete the missions is quite good, and the world is pretty good but the massive downside is the AI is bad, and the stealth mechanics need alot of work, the problem is it just seems completly luck and not skill if someone sees you or not as sometimes you get seen walking up near them other times you can walk about 20 metres right in front of them and they don't see you.
    Also playing it on PC can't help to say the graphics are poor, low res console textures, character models that makes Skyrim look good. The PC has been well optimised control wise, but massively let down in regards to graphical improvments.
  15. Jan 1, 2013
    I have NO idea where the great score from other users comes from.

The graphics look awful is like a step back to 2007. The beginning of the game is so bad i was actually trying to rush it and read a book at the same time. Way better games ot there and this is not worth your money.
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this. If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this. This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this.
    This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of melee combat, magic abilities, stealth and player choice and sets it in a beautifully imagined world rich with background story and fascinating characters. The storyline isn't something to write home about, but against the rest of this game one can almost forget there is a storyline and just immerse yourself in the beauty that is Dishonored.

Definite candidate for Game of the Year
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    Dishonored is one of the most overrated games of 2012. As is typical for Bethesda schlock, they delivered a game lacking in almost every single capacity and convinced the moronic masses to go with it.

Almost everything about this game is putrid. Graphically the technically, the game is a failure. It's about as visually stunning as UT2k4, with flat textures, a very noticeable lack of physics outside of ragdolls, and poor particle effects. There's absolutely nothing here exciting at all. This game would've looked dated four years ago, clay-looking faces and all. It in no way makes any attempt to stand out visually.

The plot and presentation is a total joke, and I want to punch whatever creative writing dropout thought up this plot and introduce him to something called 'flow'. You're introduced to a world you know nothing about, you're told to care about someone and in the first seven seconds of the game you're framed for their murder, thrown in prison, and then rescued. There's even a torture seen in between in which the bad guy takes time to EXPLAIN TO YOU that he framed you, in case you were too stupid to figure it out yourself. There's a bunch of other cliche BS that happens later on in the game, but it suffices to say that the plot will entertain nobody with a triple-digit IQ.

Then there's the gameplay. The gameplay tends to be pretty solid. When the stealth works, it works. You can sneak around and be a clever little a-hole in the vein of Thief. And the combat is great fun, about as solid-feeling as Dark Messiah. You have all kinds of tools and toys to use as well, combat stops to let you pick your next device, and when everything goes pear-shaped, it's a blast slicing-and-dicing enemies to bits (too bad Bethesda can't put a decent combat system in the Elder Scroll games...).

The problem is that it's way too easy to sneak around. You even have an ability to lets you teleport right up to someone's bum, completely eliminating the need to actually sneak over there. Barring that, you can just teleport to some pipes 90% of the time. There's not a single situation where you actually have to use any of the gadgets, heck, there's an achievement for completing the game without even getting any upgrades, *THAT'S HOW OPTIONAL CONFRONTATION IS*. Rather than make stealth extremely hard, but rewarding, thus trying to force the player's hand towards the easier lethal options... you can easily just teleport your way through almost every single level to complete safety.

The problem is that everything fun in this game isn't stealth. You have a crossbow, a pistol you can use to just blow people away, a rat swarm,a fus-ro-dah you can use to blow people apart, you have grenades, mantraps, and a great combat system, as well as all sorts of assassination moves.

If you don't use combat, you complete the game by giving people hugs and shooting them with sleep darts. That's it. 85% of the game content has nothing to do with stealth.

Let's make one thing clear - this is an assassination game, not Thief. The very first people you meet call you an assassin and talk about how people need to die to make the world better. You even get an artifact you can use on characters, and it tells you things like "If you don't kill this (random guard), he's going to go home and kill his family and then himself in a week".

Now, who can explain to me why an assassin game, which has all kinds of cool moves and detail put into killing people, gives me a loading screen hint that says "If you kill lots of people you'll get punished, there will be more rats, people will hate you, and you will get the evil ending". That's right boys and girls - the developers *KNEW* that their crappy morality system was so bad and ill-fitting in a game about killing that they couldn't even let players figure out the morality thing on their own that they had to SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU. "PLEASE DON'T KILL EVERYONE GUYS, EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE MOST FUN". I'm assuming this tip went in because playtesters universally were having so much fun killing people nobody even knew there was a good ending, and they hated the evil path (because it's so terrible).

So that right there is the worst part about the game. The game literally punishes you for not playing in the goody-two-shoes total pacifist **** method. Some guy plots to kill your girlfriend or whatever, then says "oh no please don't hurt me", but *I'M* the bad guy for remembering that this guy TORTURED my character and needs to pay?

Why not just change the game so that whenever you kill someone it says "Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done while we slowly reload your save". Why is there even kill / don't kill morality choices in a game full of swords and plague and death anyway?

So that's it. This game is a huge dumbed-down overhyped easy-to-market pile of garbage. Another turd from Bethesda.
  18. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is simply great, and I say this before criticising it because a lot of people get hold of the wrong end of the stick. Compared to all other games of the same kind of genre, this game is the best one to be released this year. Still it's not the best of all time. I don't mind the graphics and the art style they chose, because you shouldn't be a graphics w***e and look at the wholeThis game is simply great, and I say this before criticising it because a lot of people get hold of the wrong end of the stick. Compared to all other games of the same kind of genre, this game is the best one to be released this year. Still it's not the best of all time. I don't mind the graphics and the art style they chose, because you shouldn't be a graphics w***e and look at the whole package the game delivers. To get down to the points that bother me the most: You will never use half of your abilities. Some are hilariously overpowered, like you can blink behind enemies and take them out silently. The AI will never bother and is suffering from amnesia, they had art directors from HL2 I think, because the perimeter walls in the city look exactly the same, a lot is copied from Bioshock 1, especially the ending they pulled (the good one). Other than that I like the characters, you can identify with lots of them and understand the cause they fight for, but what bothers me is that they just push you around and tell you what to do. As if I was some hired thug of some kind: "Yeah Corvo, do this, do that..." No way, lay off the attitude son, I'm no errand boy. Anyway, I give this game a rock solid 8/10, not perfect, yet nothing to complain about. Expand
  19. Oct 12, 2012
    A nice and solid game, still wonder how can someone rate a game bad if he/she rushed through it (5 hours? that's damn rushing).
    This isn't a "pure" fps, nor some Assassin's Creed clone, is closer to an RPG than many might think. (even thou it isn't an rgp).
    Someone complains about the setting/lore/story, have you tried to read the books and notes? or to listen to the audiographs? Sure the story might have been better and looks like they had to cut it, namely the end is a bit "rushed out", but still if all you care about is killing guards etc you are missing the point of the game.
    "oh my gawd this sport car sucks, took me only 1 hour to get to desto and the landscape was blurry"
    The journey is the reward not the goal. ;)
  20. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  21. Jan 2, 2013
    Don't waste your money on this game. The gameplay gets repetitive really quick, there isn't much room for exploring, the storyline is criminally short, and the moral choice system is extremely flawed. There aren't enough powers and there is little variety when it comes to combat. Also, for a game that focuses so much on stealth, there are surprisingly few non-lethal ways to take downDon't waste your money on this game. The gameplay gets repetitive really quick, there isn't much room for exploring, the storyline is criminally short, and the moral choice system is extremely flawed. There aren't enough powers and there is little variety when it comes to combat. Also, for a game that focuses so much on stealth, there are surprisingly few non-lethal ways to take down targets: just choking and sleep darts. It gets old. My biggest problem with the game is that the only way to get the good ending in the game is to hardly kill anyone... which is boring and restrictive. And speaking of endings, this game has one of the most anti-climactic endings I have ever played. Very disapointing. Dishonored is easily one of the most overrated games of the year. Skip it. Expand
  22. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was notThis is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  23. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is toIt's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is to choke (Not do-able in combat) use sleep dart( which is almost ineffective in combat). There needs to be more ways to knock people out, and make people be able do it in combat. Combat is great, so are graphics. Expand
  24. Oct 14, 2012
    A great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years andA great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years and I don't think the game is as linear as people purport it to be.

So what stops the game from being a 10/10 for me? The story, which wasn't all that interesting, it gave me this Assassin's Creed 1 vibe in its simplicity. And then the length of the game. To make this game long you have to play it with the mindset of making it so yourself. The game doesn't present itself well in this regard, many players will undoubtedly rush through the game chasing objectives and then stand there with 6-10 hours played wondering where their money went. Me? My first playthrough clocked in at 22 hours. I'm working on my second "chaos" playthrough now which without doubt will go quicker but I still feel the game is worth the money.

9/10, because what the game actually has you do is utterly delicious, though it falls short in the length and main story despite that it is set in a unique, dystopian victorianesque steampunk setting with lovecraftian tendencies which I find highly interesting and want more of.
  25. Nov 1, 2012
    This game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gateThis game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gate type of choices in this one. Expand
  26. Oct 12, 2012
    I expected less of this game, but I was surprised in the beginning, this game is very similar to the "Commandos" where you can choose kill all the enemies without making a noise using the knife or kill all the weapon and make a tremendous noise, very good its engine, congratulations Bethesda
  27. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just finished it, and I got to say this game just blew all my expectations away. Great art style, genius map layout and an overall good feel that fits right inn. The whole stealth system is very well made and there is a huge amount of possibilities on how you go forwards, one fine example is the last mission where you have to get up the light tower, Samuel says that there is only one way inn and that it is extremely well guarded. But just by looking around you can see many possible ways to get inn, and no they are not just there for making the level more appealing and they are not blocked by invincible walls or anything.. So yes you guessed it, you CAN actually go on them and use them to your advantage, and this goes for all the levels without the first mission as you don't have gotten the "Blink" spell yet. But... as always there is one thing that breaks the game a little bit.. And that is the story, it is just to short... 9 missions is just to little for a game of this magnitude. I felt that there could have been much more, the story was a little to thin for me, I completed the game in about 12 hours on Normal difficulty, by stealthily going trough every inch of the maps before finishing the missions. So I give it a solid 8/10, for brilliant art style, great map designs, godlike ideas and gameplay. Expand
  28. Oct 20, 2012
    Having a big problem with this game. It IS fun to play. It IS fun to explore. There ARE various ways to deal with missions, but they all are about stealth. Walking in gun blazing isn't really an option here. If You choose to play this game on high difficulty without killing innocent people the replayability doesnt exist, cause there is nothing that could amuse You anymore. The biggestHaving a big problem with this game. It IS fun to play. It IS fun to explore. There ARE various ways to deal with missions, but they all are about stealth. Walking in gun blazing isn't really an option here. If You choose to play this game on high difficulty without killing innocent people the replayability doesnt exist, cause there is nothing that could amuse You anymore. The biggest disadvantage is the plot. I was really, really hoping (based on the interesting world, interesting protagonist and the hype) that the story would be deep. It isn't. The narration is very poor and no twist will really suprise You. When You get the mission that should end the game in 3rd hour of game You know it'll fail, don't You? Expand
  29. Oct 24, 2012
    I personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enoughI personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enough to get it on console--I'm sorry for your loss. Graphics---Week, Storyline---Seen it before, Concept---Truly awesome... Basically it is Bethesda's answer to BioShock fans. As a reviewer of games as a hobby (Liquid Gamer Podcast), I get to play a lot of games, and this was disappointing. Although the idea is outstanding, the execution is lacking. Hear my full review on the show, http://liquidgamer.podbean.com Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a game that requires you to make your own fun almost. If you approach this game meaning just to finish it,don't buy it. You need to spend your time in each level, finding all the nooks and crannies, uncovering some of the lore reading those books that are scattered around the levels, it simply adds so much more to the experience. And that's what this game is, an experience. The stealth is a bit simple, the same can be said for the combat but together with the beautiful world that has been created, it is much more than the sum of its parts. I distinctly remember when in the second mission I was dealing with the High Overseer and I had knocked him out and the uncle of a girl that she had asked me to save. I was doing great when I went around the corner to find an overseer with this back turned. So I knock him out and then return to my plotting to get this uncle guy to a safe location and the High Overseer to the interrogation room. Then I ran in to another overseer, and another and another until I had basically knocked out every overseer on the floor that I was in. So I rushed away when I saw that I had missed a rune, already seeing the way that I could do it better next time. I can definitely see myself re-playing this game as a ruthless, kill everybody, kind of character, which is different from the, I will not kill my targets but if s**t goes down I will kill the guards type of character that I have been playing. I would also suggest at least playing on hard if you are going stealthy, as well as turning most of the user interface off. Finding bone charms and runes by remembering the direction the heart was beating and the how frequent it was, with a faint red glow indicating the object, is much more enjoyable than seeing a sign telling you what it was, where it was, even though you weren't putting your heart near the direction, and the amount of meters you need to travel to reach it, is way over simplified. So basically, in summary, if you are one to squeeze out every morsel of a game, then this is definitely a game for you, and will provide plenty of motivation to do so. If you simply were interested in this game because the some of the kill cams look cool then you will be disappointed and I recommend that you stay away from this game. So what if you are in the middle of the spectrum? Well, I was there too and I found that if play this game with an open mind, you will enjoy the game. I can also honestly say this is one of the only games that have actually motivated me to spend 2 hours on a level finding that last obscure rune or bone charm, the only rune that I missed was on the second mission and I am still kicking myself for letting it go. Expand
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    Поздравляю всех любителей stealth с выходом достойного проекта, чтоПоздравляю всех любителей stealth с выходом достойного проекта, что бывает довольно редко в нашем жанре. Любители гранат(тм) могут смело проходить мимо. Expand
  32. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ฉันชอบเกมนี้มากเลยระบบการเล่นสะใจมาก และมันทำให้ฉันนึกย้อนถึงเกมเก่า ๆ หลาย ๆ เกมที่ฉันคิดถึงมาตลอด Expand
  33. Oct 12, 2012
    If your going to play this game understand it does not tell you the best way to complete its tasks. I have pleasantly been surprised how much I can complete by not doing what the mission tells me to do and then finding another solution. Currently I Am trying to beat the game without a single death of myself nor of a Enemy. SO HARD TO DO but I love the challenge The game is worth a fewIf your going to play this game understand it does not tell you the best way to complete its tasks. I have pleasantly been surprised how much I can complete by not doing what the mission tells me to do and then finding another solution. Currently I Am trying to beat the game without a single death of myself nor of a Enemy. SO HARD TO DO but I love the challenge The game is worth a few playthrough's and Try to beat it deathless on max difficulty will def keep my time occupied. If you play on casual and just chop through the main storyline then never pick up the game again then You have missed what this game is all about. Expand
  34. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is totally awesome , ı have never played a game like that , ı mean ı dunno what to say , game is perfect , story ,atmosphere , game-play , graphics (could be better), when ı'm playing the game ı feel like ı'm kinda inside of it , it's not something which you can tell , you have to live , 10/10 -sorry for my bad ing-
  35. Oct 13, 2012
    While this game was hyped up a lot, I still think it's underrated at only a 91%. I went into this game quite skeptical that it could live up to its advertising, but it has done that and more. HOWEVER. This game is a reflection of your creativity as a gamer, as it uses manifold ways to reach your objectives. If you are an unimaginitive person then the story you live out will be anWhile this game was hyped up a lot, I still think it's underrated at only a 91%. I went into this game quite skeptical that it could live up to its advertising, but it has done that and more. HOWEVER. This game is a reflection of your creativity as a gamer, as it uses manifold ways to reach your objectives. If you are an unimaginitive person then the story you live out will be an unimaginitive one. So if you want mindless action look elsewhere. This is a game for people who enjoy thinking.

Dishonored is a fantastic piece of art that values creativity and choice and plunges you into an amazingly immersive environment. I am a very involved gamer and have played and beaten countless games, both on PC and on standalone consoles, and I can say without a doubt that this is honestly the best game I have ever played. The immersive atmosphere of Half-Life and Bioshock mixed with the stealth of Thief and Deus Ex are an amazing combination. The graphics, while simple, are beautifully done in painting-like tones, and the lighting engine is phenomenal. The soundtrack is both breathtaking and adrenaline-inducing. The storyline is quite solid and very dark, the world expansive and deep, and the game can clock you 23+ hours on higher difficulty if you explore a little. The controls are extremely responsive, and the fighting mechanics, contrary to some peoples' beliefs, are solid and difficult to master, although intuitive enough to learn. The voice acting is marvellous. Almost constantly you'll overhear guards or civilians having conversations, but it's almost always a unique, scripted dialogue made specially just for those two NPCs, that can last for upwards of two minutes in many cases, which adds incredible depth to the already intriguing environments. AND THE CHOICE - You can do anything, from combat, to stealth. Be lethal or non-lethal. Exploration is key. Multiple passageways always exist to reach your goal, and your actions will always result in different outcomes. Simply fantastic. 10/10.
  36. Oct 14, 2012
    Amazing! For me this is the best game in the last few years! I did not expect that it would delay me so much. But now I'm playing and I can not tear myself away from it.
  37. Oct 14, 2012
    Only few games live up to the hype that has been built around them and Dishonored is one them. Both stealth and combat mechanics are absolute blast to play with and level design makes great use of them. Its lot of fun to jump around the roofs or crawl through sewers as a rat whenever you fell like it, but biggest surprise for me was how incredibly the game looks. Art direction is amazing.Only few games live up to the hype that has been built around them and Dishonored is one them. Both stealth and combat mechanics are absolute blast to play with and level design makes great use of them. Its lot of fun to jump around the roofs or crawl through sewers as a rat whenever you fell like it, but biggest surprise for me was how incredibly the game looks. Art direction is amazing. Characters have memorable faces and stylish clothes. Weapons, buildings, vehicles, everything is extremely well designed and together with rich color pallet create Illusion of city which is dark and corrupt, but is joy to explore. Expand
  38. Oct 15, 2012
    Whether or not you will like Dishonored depends on what you expect from it. Despite being a Bethesda title, it is not the "steam-punk Skyrim" many had come to expect. Dishonored goes to the same school as Bioshock and Half Life 2 in that it is a first person shooter with an interesting toolbox of abilities to help you out. The biggest complaint I keep seeing about Dishonored is thatWhether or not you will like Dishonored depends on what you expect from it. Despite being a Bethesda title, it is not the "steam-punk Skyrim" many had come to expect. Dishonored goes to the same school as Bioshock and Half Life 2 in that it is a first person shooter with an interesting toolbox of abilities to help you out. The biggest complaint I keep seeing about Dishonored is that people flew through it in under 5 hours. While this is certainly possible, this actually demonstrates one of the greatest qualities of this game; it plays however you want it to. At the start of each area, you are given an objective, a large area, and your trusty toolbox of supernatural abilities. The game then leaves you to determine the best way to approach your target, and believe me, there are a lot of different ways you can get it done. In addition, your decision on how to approach each level (especially in terms of body count) has a very tangible effect on how the rest of the game plays out. If you make a point to run as fast as you can from objective to objective, never stopping to do side quests, explore, or talk to the characters, then I can see how you would come out disappointed at the end. This is a game the encourages you to stop and think, and the results of a little creativity can leave you feeling like a real badass. Dishonored is not without it's flaws of course. The controls take some getting used to, the designers went a little crazy with the head bob (thank god you can turn it down), and some of the later enemies can see you from what seems like a mile away, but these are small problems overall. I have yet to finish my first playthrough so I can't comment on how the story rounds out, but I'm already looking forward to playing it again just as soon as I am done. Ultimately, Dishonored is whatever you make of it. If you take the time to let it show you everything it has to offer, I don't see any way you can walk away unhappy. Buy or rent, this is definitely one you don't want to miss Expand
  39. Nov 11, 2012
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Whales! How could we not have seen it before! They're big. They in the water. They have blubber. They can't run away very well on land.
    Why DON'T we turn them into an energy source? And food? And trophies? And super economy? Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this computer.
    I'm sure there will be nay sayers, but I'm sure if I asked a whale if it wanted to be an energy source or not it would just go "waaaaaaaaaaahbbbbwaaaaaaabbl" which isn't even words.
    Not a very sound argument Mr or Mrs Whale. Quite immature.
  40. Apr 15, 2013
    The best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equallyThe best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equally attractive choices.

One of the best games I've ever played.
  41. Dec 18, 2012
    Does the PC gaming need an other FPS? Answer: NO. It may have a nice quality but this is something we have seen already many times.
    Good graphic but old game, puck effect guaranteed.
  42. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    If you are not a sneaky person, you will probably give it a lower score. Cool tricks, cool game play, semi-crap story.. buy it play it. but beware of some sort
    disappointment.
  43. Jan 28, 2013
    Dishonored in a unique stealth game that has very good parts to it but I never got sucked into the game. The use of your various powers makes the game unique to each player as there are many different ways to complete a mission. I have to admit that I did not a much attention to the storyline as I wanted to get to the action as quick as possible. The graphics are great but I did have anDishonored in a unique stealth game that has very good parts to it but I never got sucked into the game. The use of your various powers makes the game unique to each player as there are many different ways to complete a mission. I have to admit that I did not a much attention to the storyline as I wanted to get to the action as quick as possible. The graphics are great but I did have an issue with some of the face designs, some of the people in the game look flat out terrible and creepy. If you were a fan of the thief games then I would give this one a shot. If you are looking for a more action based game then look elsewhere, this is a stealth based game and getting into combat is not the focus. Expand
  44. Sep 24, 2013
    I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It's the perfect blend of Deus Ex and Bioshock, within a detailed, immersive world with its own interesting backstory told throughout the game. Playing as an agressive gunsligner is fun. Playing as a sealthy backstabber/choker is fun. The designers took great care to make both playstyles viable and a blast to play.
  45. Sep 9, 2013
    Unlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. ButUnlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. But why would you? There's a world here, a story here, a living breathing setting that's like an open book. You can breeze through it without a care in the world, or you can peel through the pages one by one carefully absorbing every detail. If you're like me, you fall somewhere in the middle, like an average gamer would. The problem with Dishonored is that it was released too late. Gamers today expect action, linear corridors and lots of hand holding that tell them where to go and what to do. They expect games to keep this hand holding up for hours on end, so they can get their money's worth and call it a day. Dishonored doesn't do that. It's not your babysitter. It throws you into a world and doesn't say a word. You can explore every detail, or you can slaughter everything you see. The playstyles here are endless. Sneak through unseen? Why not slaughter every living creature on a rampage? Choke everyone out? Why not stealthily slit their throats and hide the bodies? Something for everyone, I assure you. Dishonored is a magical game. Almost perfect in the context of "video game". It engages the player to assume the role of a virtual character and interact with a world, it's entertaining and wholesome, you just have to believe it, and then find it. The gamers of today are too used to linear corridors, they should broaden their horizons, explore a little and experiment. I clocked in 25 hours of this game, without the 2 major DLC. With those, you're looking at about another 8 hours each. Dishonored is a terrific, near-perfect game. If the story wasn't complete garbage, it would be the epitome of gaming. Expand
  46. Oct 19, 2012
    Graphics : - 1

Plot : - 1 Music : - 0.5 (They didnt really put that much effort into music) Game play : - 1.5 (Stealth with FPS is just lame, it should've had RPG option too / The game was not that challenging though / I didnt have the chance to try all the powers of the character !!! ) Experience : + 1 (It was fun for me after all with the plague/rats theme, early 90's is a
    Graphics : - 1

Plot : - 1

Music : - 0.5 (They didnt really put that much effort into music)

to try all the powers of the character !!! )

Experience : + 1 (It was fun for me after all with the plague/rats theme, early 90's is a good era to be video gamed)

" Revenge doesnt solve everything BTW "
  47. Nov 7, 2012
    I was really hyped about this game, like i think everyone was.. Im a hardcore gamer and i always try to get best score. In this game that meens you need to go non-lethal on enemies and that make game ubber boring. After getting my hi-score i went true game second time , this time killing everything and going kinda loud. It was so much more fun... And here is my problem, becouse that gameI was really hyped about this game, like i think everyone was.. Im a hardcore gamer and i always try to get best score. In this game that meens you need to go non-lethal on enemies and that make game ubber boring. After getting my hi-score i went true game second time , this time killing everything and going kinda loud. It was so much more fun... And here is my problem, becouse that game supose 2 be stealth game, which meens killing silently should give you more fun and satisfaction. It definetly didn't and more, this isnt stealth game at all, it could be if designers wouldn't fail on making it so... Enemys AI is just redeciolusly stupid, and game have many bugs which makes it ubber easy even on hardest difficulty. It' FUN game to play but NOT a stealth game like it was advertised... Expand
  48. Nov 30, 2012
    This game advertisment,trailer,user comment,and review does not met what it really meant.The game is not as good it was advertised.The combat system have really improve a lot.The maneuverability of the combat system is really big.Every action you've done effects the game.The storyline is deep and exciting,although most game have the same storyline.Got deranked,work with traitors,try toThis game advertisment,trailer,user comment,and review does not met what it really meant.The game is not as good it was advertised.The combat system have really improve a lot.The maneuverability of the combat system is really big.Every action you've done effects the game.The storyline is deep and exciting,although most game have the same storyline.Got deranked,work with traitors,try to have revenge.Overall the game combine all the old storyline which make it a brand new story with old mixup.I love it.What really made me down is the amount of power you have is only 6.I think the game should have more power to improve the magic combat system.Like making the enemy crazy.The idea of the bonecharm is really nice.It's like some kind of perk.I'm not saying this game sucks,I'm just saying that the advertisement are saying like it's the best game in the world.News is better then the game itself. Expand
  49. Dec 3, 2012
    I have extremely mix reviews about this game, I feel when i play it I am somewhat engaged however, I rather play any other game. I felt the storyline was not very good and strangely I felt the best part of the game was the ending where (i had the bad ending) Emily has such an ominous sound in her voice. But the entire game felt like I was grinding all the way around the game to find theI have extremely mix reviews about this game, I feel when i play it I am somewhat engaged however, I rather play any other game. I felt the storyline was not very good and strangely I felt the best part of the game was the ending where (i had the bad ending) Emily has such an ominous sound in her voice. But the entire game felt like I was grinding all the way around the game to find the bone charms (which are useless) or runes to make the game seem longer than it actually is (and still beat it in 12 hrs on hard) and you can also cheese through the game with stop time beating everything in your way. Stealth was incredibly difficult and I felt like I had to save every 5 seconds to accomplish anything. The wall of light makes absolutely no sense killing only the player and not anybody else. The game did not make the player think at all and it was simply "run in, freeze time, and kill everyone." This game received way too much praise by critic and does not deserve to be a $60 game (I would recommend waiting for a sale of maybe $25) Expand
  50. Dec 19, 2012
    I feel that the people who read user reviews on Metacritic are usually casual gamers, as if you want information about the game/mechanics/story you would read a critic. So I think what you are here for is whether or not I feel my money was well spent. I payed $79 for this game, and it was the most enjoyable time I've had with a game all year. Well worth it.
  51. Dec 22, 2012
    Just freaking awesome!

No better games of this genre this year, so much action and intensity throughout the entire game, couldnt get enough of it!!!!!
  52. Jan 1, 2013
    I enjoyed Dishonored and I am glad I purchased it and played it through twice (no replay value after the 2nd go through because the game is not good enough) given some of the ridiculously high (imho) marks and reviews the professionals have given this when I now think Dishonored the first thought that comes into my head is Overrated.

Critics some giving it 100% (LOL) or high 90s (again

Critics some giving it 100% (LOL) or high 90s (again LOL). Reviews from critics (who must have been bribed) hailing the game 'a masterpiece'. Lies!!! The game is not even close to being a masterpiece.

The game is ok and the mix of action, stealth but other games previous to this have done action and stealth a hell of a lot better. The storyline is good but not immersive enough (again previous games have had much better storylines). I am rubbish at games so I can definitely say the game is far to easy (the AI is terrible). The graphics for a 2012 game are nothing special, no part in the game did I think wow that looks amazing.

Maybe because of the reviews it has got my expectations were to high. I think Dishonoured tries to be a mix of Thief: Deadly Shadows, BioShock's, Half Life's and Deus Ex's but it is not even close to being as good as any of these imho.

Summary of Dishonoured: an ok game worth playing if you can buy it cheap but overhyped and overrated.
  53. Aug 4, 2013
    Dishonored is a good game... GOOD not GREAT as many point it out to be.
    Positives:
    - Great atmosphere
    - Enjoyable Combat
    - Good Graphics
    - Great Skills
    Negatives:
    - Extremely short (about 4-6 hours)
    - Short Selection of Weapons
    - Bad Story
  54. Oct 10, 2012
    wow!!! is this game good, all the areas are unique and around every corner u spend alot of time exploring areas are geniunly interesting and i havent played a game like that since half life 2 this is definatly a special game buy it without hesitation !
  55. Oct 24, 2012
    What is more to say... It's so boring and insulting, it's not even worth the download of the unofficial demo version. I feel very embarrassed I had it on my system. I have to perform a restoration now, for good measure. They lent something like $40,000 for the Unreal license to write it off against taxes. Same goes for Bethesda's marketing budged, making all the fake rating possible. YouWhat is more to say... It's so boring and insulting, it's not even worth the download of the unofficial demo version. I feel very embarrassed I had it on my system. I have to perform a restoration now, for good measure. They lent something like $40,000 for the Unreal license to write it off against taxes. Same goes for Bethesda's marketing budged, making all the fake rating possible. You know what that means? Those ***** having a nice little party at your expense, whether you are so stupid to pay double for it or not - they couldn't care less. Expand
  56. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed outDishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  57. Oct 13, 2012
    Fun game with an original setting. But let down by short campaign and graphics which have been ported straight to from console (so they look very dated on PC).

It's a bit like a cross between thief, bioshock and assassins creed, but without the depth of them. It's worth an 7 or 8, but not a 10.
  58. Oct 10, 2012
    I can just say AWESOME!! Gameplay is best; There is lot of powers, items, locations, NPCs and more. The Graphics are good, water effect in PC is so pretty; Actually, Grpahics in PC is best but in conoles not. So good for me cuz i'm playing in PC :D. Musics and asounds are good. So if u looking for GoTY, this is GoTY. Sorry for bad English ;)
  59. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I spent $59.99 on a piece of sh-t game like this??????? Are you kidding me???? There isn't anything you can do except crawl around and pick up **** It's STUPID. There is no sneaking at all. No matter how careful you are you can't get around the city guard even if you're on the rooftops and they're on the ground three stories down, they still see you and bum rush you. BOOM! You're dead. The story is lame, the time line doesn't match reality and the controls are really clumsy as well as limited in function. The game penalizes you for killing guards and makes the game tougher with more guards and weepers, but there isn't anything you can do once you've been spotted except kill the guards or they will kill you. The only thing you can do is blink, blink, blink. But even then you get seen and when there is six or seven guards on you ( and by the way you can carry up to ten bullets and ten darts ) how can you possibly kill six or seven guards with ten bullets? The regeneration isn't fast enough to be a first person shooter and the sneak ability really sucks! This game is probably going to be deleted and I will have wasted $60.00 on it . That's a shame. I wish there was some other way of purchasing games on-line, without getting stuck with the garbage some of these studios pump out every year. I just can't believe that over a thousand people thought this game was good. What a joke. Just goes to show you how STUPID they are. Expand
  60. Oct 13, 2012
    Very nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. TheVery nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. Its noting like a massive jack of all trades like Skyrim, it is simply the master of sneaking style combat and game play. The game is short and sweet by design, but there's nothing wrong with this type of game if it is a complete and fulfilling experience. Expand
  61. Oct 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a bigOne of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a big red sign "important thing here" will miss most of it, and end up finishing the game in a short time. This is an adult game, with serious themes and it will scratch that special Thief spot in your heart that you didn't feel for a while. It is riddled with thief references ... the sound of coins when you pick them up, the mumbling of the guards on watch duty. The city itself has that weighty, heavy feeling leaning on your shoulders. Art style is beautiful semi-realistic, with slightly over-exaggerated features like limbs and necks. It works perfectly. My advice is just let yourself go in this game, turn off the quest markers and learn about the human misery in the beautiful, fallen Dunwall. Let yourself be immersed and play cat and mouse with your goals and you will have one of the best gaming experiences in years. Expand
  62. Nov 29, 2012
    Disappointment is the word of the day. Afer 12 hours in I discovered that I hadn't done anything else, but the same all 12 hours. I had been looking so much forward to that game and I really tried to enjoy it and I just didn't.It's boring beyond Words, I don't even know how I managed through those 12 hours. I was so furious in my disappointment that I just quit the game and deleted theDisappointment is the word of the day. Afer 12 hours in I discovered that I hadn't done anything else, but the same all 12 hours. I had been looking so much forward to that game and I really tried to enjoy it and I just didn't.It's boring beyond Words, I don't even know how I managed through those 12 hours. I was so furious in my disappointment that I just quit the game and deleted the game to never come back. I really feel stupid spending 25 EU on this "masterpiece". I don't even know why I'm giving it 1 point, I would only recommend the game to people who got dementia, because they won't notice that you're doing the same. Expand
  63. Oct 11, 2012
    This game has a lot going for it, but isn't perfect. The game gives the player a lot of freedom in how to deal with a mission. The game's story is somewhat linear, however you do get to make some big choices. The game's strength is in how many branching paths are able to be taken in a mission to get to that somewhat-linear story (an obvious example being the path of stealth versus theThis game has a lot going for it, but isn't perfect. The game gives the player a lot of freedom in how to deal with a mission. The game's story is somewhat linear, however you do get to make some big choices. The game's strength is in how many branching paths are able to be taken in a mission to get to that somewhat-linear story (an obvious example being the path of stealth versus the combative approach; but even within those two broad approaches there are so many different ways to reach the objective), which separates it from a lot of the competition. The Steampunk setting suits the theme of the game. With that said, the game isn't a graphical marvel, but the way the art-style is done makes up for that: in other words, the game doesn't have the graphical fidelity of Battlefield 3 or the Witcher 2, but the Steampunk, gloomy and 'pasty' (don't know how else to describe it!) style more than makes up for it. When you interact with NPC's in dialogue they are always doing something rather than standing still and it is very refreshing to see. For example, quite a lot of characters enjoy having a drink while talking, it's a minor thing but it imports personality into a virtual world. The weapons feel visceral, especially the pistol. Combat is pretty fun, but I always feel more satisfied taking the non-lethal stealth approach (personal preference), and it's incredibly rewarding to do so. Stealth is done very well in Dishonoured: the enemy AI isn't completely retarded, shadows allow you to stay hidden, hiding bodies is just as important as taking down your mark, etc. However the AI has a particular problem with looking up in many situations (I don't think I've ever seen a patrolling guard look up - it would add a significant layer of challenge if they did). The gadgets available are very cool and allow for an array of combinations to do away with enemies, though the possibilities aren't as expansive as to be infinite (however, we'll have to see what the community does -- there's obviously more creative people than myself that will be able to figure out some very interesting combo's) they are definitely there. Additionally, the game allows you to use hazards for your own device (e.g. reprogramming an electrical field to target enemies rather than intruders like yourself). The PC port itself is great: you have a host of options available to you including FOV (it's capped at 85, BUT you can edit the .ini files and increase it further), disabling mouse smoothing (thank GOD, I hated how Skyrim forced it on without a .ini edit), AA (choice of two), re-bindable keys, etc. The menu and hotkey system work well on PC and I'm very happy we get to use the number keys to change through weapons/gadgets instead of having to cycle through them individually, using a radial menu to equip them, or use an inventory screen to equip them. Overall a great game. One caveat however and it relates to the length of the game: If you are a person that DOES NOT like exploration AND would rather blast through the game as quickly as possible then this probably isn't worth your money (get it on sale?). If you rush you're probably only going to get like 5 hours out of it (maybe less?). I took the stealth approach, explored a ton and kept reloading saves to see if I could approach a mission differently, and in the end I clocked up about 14 hours. I'm replaying the game as we speak with a lethal approach to see how the story changes now so there's definite replayability, but my warning still stands: if you are the type of person that doesn't care about testing different approaches to missions, or exploration, or trying both lethal and non-lethal styles then I would avoid this game at full price.I for one wholeheartedly recommend this game. Expand
  64. Oct 15, 2012
    Just started this game yesterday and I LOVE IT! I've always been a big fan of stealth games like Thief, but was missing the action factor. Bethesda really took the best stealth elements from Thief and augmented them with powers and awesome weapons. I highly recommend this to any fans of stealth and action alike.
  65. Oct 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty decent game with some minor things to hate on and some things to like. MILD SPOILERS

its not open world and its not super linear perfect for a story driven game in this regard, but there is no real negative consequence for failing at sneaking as the combat is super easy and you can gun down the entire base if you wanted/had to and since you know how the game is going to end from the beginning there is no real deep storyline so i just ended up running through it murdering everyone with the ending justifying my actions anyways and not really having any negative consequence to murdering civilians or countless guards.

as for the artstyle it looks pretty nice and i like it a lot, and as the art director is the same as half life 2, i found myself looking at the bosses bases and the same blue steel look on all the bad guys stuff going... hey wait a minute i have seen this before. but even while not exactly original it is still different enough to be good and enjoyable.

finally there is very few weapon choices, i only needed to use 2 of the magic skills and the sword/pistol. the storyline was very very predictable but not bad or corny, but overall i still enjoyed the setting, the characters and some of the missions themselves were very enjoyable.

-dont believe the hype decent game but not worth buying, though it is the PERFECT rental game.
  66. Oct 15, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player toDishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun. Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic. Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on. Expand
  67. Oct 27, 2012
    This game was amusing, but not enjoyable. You can beat this game with only the cross bow, blink power, and sword. You gain those really early, leaving the player to teleport through a rundown world, sniping at close range (because there is no sniper weapon), as you march though a predictable plot.
  68. Jan 4, 2013
    This game is bad. Really bad... gameplay is really boring after two first missions. I expected some good stealth mechanics, and great story. What i got.... is total opposite. All "stealth mechanic" is just using one power to teleport behind someone and kill/stun them (btw. slicing someones throat is fun - i agree. but if you want good ending you must stun everyone. no killing!). Don't buyThis game is bad. Really bad... gameplay is really boring after two first missions. I expected some good stealth mechanics, and great story. What i got.... is total opposite. All "stealth mechanic" is just using one power to teleport behind someone and kill/stun them (btw. slicing someones throat is fun - i agree. but if you want good ending you must stun everyone. no killing!). Don't buy this piece of **** Expand
  69. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game isSimply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  70. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was not impressed. If you are going to emulate a game like Deus Ex or Thief, you have to be willing to put forth the time and money to make it high quality. The AI is bad, and the stealth mechanics needed a lot of work. Even on the hardest difficulty, stealth was just a game of luck. Sometimes, enemies would ignore you when you were in plain sight in a normal human beings field of view. Sometimes, enemies would literally notice you (and start talking to you) through multiple layers of walls.
    The powers were completely shallow, with an extremely small amount of powers and an extremely small amount of upgrades for them. There were also like five times as many combat oriented powers as non-combat ones, which encouraged combat oriented play. But then, you get punished for being combat-oriented with a high-chaos ending. On top of that, some powers were insanely overpowered to the point where they made the game too easy, even on very hard. In Dishonored, you can blink all the way to your goal in like 30 seconds if you have a mind to. In Deus Ex, even if you activate the enhanced movespeed/jump height augmentation, it's going to take you a long time to find and reach your objective. Plus, you have to actually sacrifice bioenergy in Deus Ex to do what little you can with that augmentation, but in Dishonored you have infinite mana as long as you wait for it to regenerate. The story was also very shallow, as it seemed to be pretty much a direct copy of Deus Ex's storyline. But, in that same aspect, it seems like the storyline of Dishonored was finished before it even began. In Deus Ex, you learn that the Gray Death was man-made, you learn who made it, you learned there was a cure, you get betrayed by your faction, and old friends stay by your side instead of siding with the clear enemies. All of that happens in probably the first half of the game. In Dishonored, you learn the rat plague was man-made and all of your superiors betray you, and some people stay by your side, but that's the end of the game. You do all the same things as Deus Ex, but then it ends with you defeating your betrayers. It makes me feel as though there was much more planned for this game, but due to budget or time issues they were forced to cut it short. Actually, that applies to everything, not just the story. I feel as though this entire game was a half-finished game, and if they could have done more work on the game it could have truly been a game as powerful as Deus Ex.
  71. Oct 13, 2012
    It would be wrong to review this until i've finished it, but my initial IMPRESSION in a 9 after doing the first two main missions. The depth grows as you play through this. But only if you make yourself challenges and dont simply combat your way through it.
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative review of this.. It may just be a troll ;-).. Check their other reviews to make sure.
  72. Nov 25, 2012
    As a dear friend said: "This is the Frankestein of the videgames, it takes parts of another games (The Thief, Deus Ex, Bioshock) and does not do a serious story like those". I say: Many game makers just wait for sale success instead quality success.
  73. Nov 27, 2012
    Dishonored is a game that sets out to recreate the greatest parts of gaming history into one game, stealth game play from Thief, an art style that rivals bioshock, freedom of choice like deus ex and assassinations as creative and violent at assassins creed. Unfortunately from the minute the story starts to unfold the whole game unravels as they forgot the most important part of singleDishonored is a game that sets out to recreate the greatest parts of gaming history into one game, stealth game play from Thief, an art style that rivals bioshock, freedom of choice like deus ex and assassinations as creative and violent at assassins creed. Unfortunately from the minute the story starts to unfold the whole game unravels as they forgot the most important part of single player gaming (which all the above mentioned games have), story. The writers from Days of Our Lives or Bold and the Beautiful create a more believable storyline than what is in dishonored, this unfortunately makes every character you meet uneventful, every assassination a meh moment, and the twist in the storyline can be seen from the very start. The rats in the game actually have more personality than the main characters. Overall a very disappointing experience if you were expecting something as great as the above mentioned games. Do yourself a favour, and by the above mentioned games for the price it would cost you for dishonoured. Expand
  74. Oct 17, 2012
    Very good game overall, one of the better ones to be released this year. It's held back from true greatness by some minor flaws however. The good: choice. There are so many different ways to play this game it's ridiculous. You can be stealthy and go through the game without killing a single soul, or you can be an instrument of chaos, slaughtering innocents and hostiles alike. ThisVery good game overall, one of the better ones to be released this year. It's held back from true greatness by some minor flaws however. The good: choice. There are so many different ways to play this game it's ridiculous. You can be stealthy and go through the game without killing a single soul, or you can be an instrument of chaos, slaughtering innocents and hostiles alike. This difference in play styles can influence the ending that you receive, similar to Bioshock. The powers and equipment that you receive throughout are fun to use and make you feel like a badass. The art style and art direction are phenomenal, also similar to Bioshock. It's a mesmerizing world. Most of the voice acting is decent, and the replay value is through the roof. Combat is visceral and strategic, with an emphasis on parrying and countering. The bad: the story isn't as great as I would like it to be. I felt that I just didn't' care enough the about the characters, and the empress' assassination at the beginning just didn't hit home. I personally would have rather seen a lengthier introduction to give us a feel for the characters, which would allow for a more emotional investment in the story. Also, the graphics, from a technological aspect, aren't really up to snuff, even on PC. Textures are murky and blurry up close, and the animations are a bit stiff. The art direction previously mentioned makes the game still look decent though, Overall, a good contribution to my gaming library. If you want a blend of Assassin's Creed and Bioshock, look no further. Expand
  75. Feb 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game, but also somewhat of disappointment. I probably wanted it to be like Thief more than I should have, and although there are many similarities to Thief, the game-play just doesn't live up to it. The story, design and characters are all superb, and it's proof that a new idea, and a different approach to the typical shooter, can be successful.
    By the time I'd finished
    By the time I'd finished the game, trying to keep the death-count as low as possible, I felt like I'd missed out on taking a more savage approach to the missions. So I replayed the whole game, and tried to kill as many of the bad-guys as possible (and even a few innocents along the way), and it was like a different game. I'm all for choice within game, and a flexibility to how missions can be approached, but I think the game would have been slightly improved by, once in a while, forcing you to take either a stealthy approach or a guns-blazing approach (similar to the Thief games). This would have meant that someone like me, who's default approach would always be stealth, would have had the chance to let-loose once in a while. I know that choice was always there, and I could have done exactly that at any point, but I didn't really believe that the bad-guys really deserved to die. They were just following whomever was in command, after all. My immersion in the game's narrative was actually preventing me from having a bit of fun. Maybe if some of the levels contained baddies who really deserved getting blown-up or an arrow to the head I would have had more chance to use more of my weaponry on my first play-though. There were times when a stealthy approach was the best way to avoid being killed, so these situations forced you to use more softly-softly tactics, but there was no point when a more action-packed method was essential. Sometimes, too much choice is a bad thing.
    Once I did decided to replay the game and in a more gung-ho fashion, I noticed how much EASIER the game had become. I could breeze through some of the levels in a fraction of the time I did when I was trying not to kill anyone, and I started to understand the criticism of those who took this approach on their first play-though and felt short-changed.
    Also, I appreciate the fact that the developers spent a lot of time to make sure each platform was given individual focus, but it still felt as if the PC version retained too many aspects of the console version. The ability to turn off most of the HUD elements, for example, is proof of this, but it took so long for me to figure-out which I needed and which I didn't that it probably spoiled the opening chapter. This is a probably a separate discussion, but you've got to ask yourself why do developers need to add so many HUD elements to make the game easier? If you can turn them off, and are still be able to play the game, then why have them in the first place? If the game needs them then why not just find other ways to offer clues to the player? Glowing objects, a compass and a map with objective indicators are usually more than enough, and have been a staple of FPS games since the Doom-era, so why introduce more clutter on the screen and destroy the immersion? Is it because they think console gamers are generally stupid, or perhaps it's because they're catering to gamers who are too young to play the game, but who they know inevitably will? This seems a far more reasonable explanation, and it's a real shame that a game's rating (18 in this case) shouldn't also reflect the intellect of the age-range it's aimed at. There's no evidence (despite what some may believe) that PC gamers over the age of 18 are any more intelligent than console gamers over the age of 18, so introducing ways to make the game easier, beyond the usual difficulty levels; which generally affect combat rather than game-play; can only be catering to younger players. And that is just WRONG. Anyway, I digress.
    Despite all this, Dishonored was like a breath of fresh-air, and I hope it gives more developers the courage to try something different with the common FPS. And I eagerly look forward to the inevitable sequel. Instead of filling the Thief-void, though, it just made me want Thief 4 to come sooner!
  76. Oct 17, 2012
    A very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain thatA very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain that much. And i think that this game is kind of easy as well, I played on Very Hard the first time and i had to Quick load and Quick save pretty often because i wanted to experiment with some ways to approach an objective. But other than that the enemies are not that tough and usually you can blink your way out of combat if you so desire. Despite all that, This game rocks! Expand
  77. Apr 5, 2013
    Huge disapointment for me. i didnt like the story, the gameplay is pretty boring i thought this game would be something special but nah.. its just a overhyped good advertised game i still think a lot of people will like it
  78. Jan 1, 2013
    To all the people saying the stealth combat is limited and boring... that is the way you chose to play the game, i would not however pay 60 dollars on it... the steam price is much reasonable compared to the console price... I played through the whole game without killing anyone and found the game to be quite challenging. Having said that, after completing the game i have little desire toTo all the people saying the stealth combat is limited and boring... that is the way you chose to play the game, i would not however pay 60 dollars on it... the steam price is much reasonable compared to the console price... I played through the whole game without killing anyone and found the game to be quite challenging. Having said that, after completing the game i have little desire to replay the game. BEWARE if you go in killing everyone and blow through the game you WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. the game would be short and the payoff would suck... (big buggaboo about the ending it kinda is between bad and medium it was enough to take away from the game).... your choices do not effect the game's ending...All in All; Dishonored will be ass good of a game as you play it out to be. Expand
  79. Jan 21, 2013
    I bought this game in a sale, and I'm glad... Full price is too much for this very linear restricted game. It's well build, music is great but it lacks. It's sometimes a bit boring, story is shallow. So only buy at a sale, it's overpriced.
  80. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  81. Oct 10, 2012
    The game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small homeThe game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small home and piece of writing. Listening to the heart haunts the senses and further plunges the owner into the lore in this amazing game. An experience I've had for only a few hours has left me wanting more, and it was well worth the time and money. Story telling rarely presents itself in such an artful and complex manner. I would recommend this to friends and family. The only reason I'm not rating it a 10 is because I'd want my friends to tell me that even though I thought it was good, but they liked it even more :) Expand
  82. Oct 27, 2012
    Concentration is all on creating a certain type of atmosphere and a 'cool' way of killing someone. Game play is completely forgotten and it soon gets very tedious which is quite a feat considering how short the game is!It makes me wonder whether the critics writing these reviews are spotty teenagers who frankly don't know what they are talking about.
  83. Nov 9, 2012
    Well all I can say is try before you buy. Only got as far as the tutorial which was enough for me. The setting/art style and voice acting are odd. Alternative London with American accents but baddies sound British - getting rather tired of this. Anyway aesthetic grumbles aside, this game depends a lot on the gameplay which is rather poor (IMHO). I think the dev's should have looked aWell all I can say is try before you buy. Only got as far as the tutorial which was enough for me. The setting/art style and voice acting are odd. Alternative London with American accents but baddies sound British - getting rather tired of this. Anyway aesthetic grumbles aside, this game depends a lot on the gameplay which is rather poor (IMHO). I think the dev's should have looked a little harder at the Thief series for the stealth and Dark Messiah for the combat. Its 2012...why do I have to compare Dishonored to games which are so old and yet still do this so much better? Combat problems include = poor hit detection, limited fov (70-80 degrees - feels like your looking down a cardboard tube) and no weight to the weapons = floaty combat ( even Skyrim's combat is better for god sake!). Try it if you haven't played either Thief of Dark Messiah...but if you have I can't imagine it'll hold your interest for long. And Bathesda where are my legs? Where is my player shadow? Why am I still a floating camera with fists? Expand
  84. Oct 27, 2012
    Para ser un juego de Bethesda deja bastante que desear, sobre todo después de ver títulos como Fallout o Skyrim.

Un juego lineal a más no poder con un absurdo sistema de lucha.

Una trama que no engancha para nada.

Muy mal Bethesda, muy mal =(
  85. Oct 15, 2012
    I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games,I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games, but Line of sight stealth, its decent, what more could be said. The game also provides you with many different weapons, gadgets and powers to sneak or kill with, its just plain fun, while having a moderate amount of replay-ability. Expand
  86. Nov 3, 2012
    The most frustrating thing about this game is how close it comes to greatness. Although I genuinely enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that Dishonoured could have been so much more. In gameplay terms, Dishonoured could crudely be called a steampunk Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can kill enemies or knock them out. You can drag their bodies around and create a big old heap o' menThe most frustrating thing about this game is how close it comes to greatness. Although I genuinely enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that Dishonoured could have been so much more. In gameplay terms, Dishonoured could crudely be called a steampunk Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can kill enemies or knock them out. You can drag their bodies around and create a big old heap o' men (although bodies in Dishonoured have a habit of vanishing after a while). Each level offers a decent variety of ways to sneak, climb, charge or slay your way through. But Dishonoured lacks some of DE:HR's sophistication. The cover mechanic in Dishonoured, while straightforward, makes for the slightly ludicrous notion that an enemy cannot spot a player peeking out from behind a pillar. Corvo cannot talk his way around baddies. The plot is a good one for a computer game, but the efforts at character immersion are futile, given that Corvo is a blank canvas without character, and the dialogue sections contrast most unfavourably with DE:HR. Of course, it might be said that Corvo's personality reveals itself through actions rather than words, given that each mission's body count affects both the disposition of NPCs and the way that subsequent levels are played. This is a great idea in theory, but it also acts as a powerful disincentive to use one of the game's more interesting features: the combination of sword-and-pistol combat. Given that Dishonored has so few original features, discouraging the exploration of one of them in this fashion just feels perverse. Dishonored does have some interesting magical powers which stray pleasingly far from established RPG tropes, possession being the most obvious and delightful example. The downside is that such powers tend to make relatively easy missions even less challenging. And Dishonoured borrows one of Dragon Age II's most annoying attributes in converting collected loot instantly into cash, rather than offering the player the opportunity to do anything with it. If casks of whale oil can be made to explode, for example, could not a flask of refined whale oil make a jury-rigged grenade? Could not the medicinal herbs be sold to deserving (or undeserving) characters who might, in turn, offer some quid pro quo? While Dishonored is a fun and diverting 15 hours, is is not nearly so immersive or original as some reviewers would have you believe. But the really infuriating thing is that it could so easily have been great. Expand
  87. Nov 5, 2012
    Great stealth game but the plot is too predictable. The characters are unique but the endings are too linear. The graphics is good & framerate is very smooth though.
  88. Oct 20, 2012
    i enjoyed this game alot, its not something i usually play but it looked interesting after finishing the game which i just have, i wanted to share my review

pros great story,voices/actors makes you want to carry on playing strategic cons graphics feel dated, sometimes you can stand right next to someone look them in the face and yet your still not seen, game felt like it went

pros
    great story,voices/actors
    makes you want to carry on playing
    strategic

cons
    graphics feel dated,
    game felt like it went on far too long,

i liked the game alot and it was hard to criticize it on its faults
    although it had its faults the gameplay felt purposeful and fun
    until i got towards the end,then it just seemed as though it went on way longer then the game should have and nothing seemed original to what i had already seen prior, just same old same old.
    great game none the less, would and have reccomend(ed)
  89. Oct 18, 2012
    I have to say i'm underwhelmed given all the great reviews. Those who said before me that the stealth mechanics are rubbish are absolutely spot on. They had better stealth mechanics in the 'Riddick' games. I have never been a big fan of FPS stealth games, I feel stealth is best served in the third person where you get to see your character hiding behind objects and get a feel forI have to say i'm underwhelmed given all the great reviews. Those who said before me that the stealth mechanics are rubbish are absolutely spot on. They had better stealth mechanics in the 'Riddick' games. I have never been a big fan of FPS stealth games, I feel stealth is best served in the third person where you get to see your character hiding behind objects and get a feel for exactly where they are in the environment. Deus Ex HR was quite good where it was First person but switched into 3rd so you could see the character and the enemies in relation to each other. The gameplay is fluid however and there is fun to be had with the different ways you can take people out or indeed avoid them completely. In that aspect it is a little too easy but I have yet to play it on the hardest setting. The games tour de force is Dunwall itself and the art direction which is very nicely done. With the plague and dead bodies dumped everywhere the game still makes it a rather nice experience to be in that environment. Its quirky and sinister at the same time, an air of unpleasantness always hanging yet never imposing. In general though it feels like there could have been a lot more to the game especially in its narrative. I'd give it an 8 because I think they could have done a lot more with it. No doubt there will be a sequel of some description. Expand
  90. Feb 3, 2013
    What can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summedWhat can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summed up like this. "Important lady gets killed, you get blamed for it even though you didn't do it and then a quest for revenge of some convoluted sorts." Expand
  91. Dec 21, 2012
    Good game but it's just nothing especial, at all. Everything that this game does, other games already did ( and they did it better). Magics and perks that can be upgraded = plasmids and tonics from Bioshock. First person stealth gameplay with swords, theft of enemie's gold and possibility of knock them out = Thief all along the way. Steampunk style = Thief and Bioshock. Alternative routesGood game but it's just nothing especial, at all. Everything that this game does, other games already did ( and they did it better). Magics and perks that can be upgraded = plasmids and tonics from Bioshock. First person stealth gameplay with swords, theft of enemie's gold and possibility of knock them out = Thief all along the way. Steampunk style = Thief and Bioshock. Alternative routes = guess what ? Thief again. Pretty good open-world but just not interesting. So it's innovative as the little kids that call themselves gamers are saying ? F#CK NO! Beyond those aspects, the AI is bad and story is non existent. A solid 7.5. The game works good but it just lacks personality. I really didn't care about the characters, the missions and the world that were presented to me in the game. If you want a stealth open-world oriented game with alternative sytles of gameplay, you should buy it. If you want anything new or creative, better look somewhere else. Expand
  92. Jan 20, 2013
    this game its great if you like those stealth games.

i like stealth games like AC3 and those but in this case they made the game really close.

i mean with close that you need to do the quest or nothing will happen.
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    Dishonored was a game that I had high hopes for, but like many other titles of the last twelve months, it let me down. The game has a heavy focus on stealth which just didn't quite play out as the developers said it would. There is very little stealth elements that actually work. The AI become too aware too easily both in daylight and night.

The 'skills' felts too much borrowed from

The 'skills' felts too much borrowed from that of Bioshock, as is many other gameplay mechanics, including picking items up, health, weapon use etc. I did however like the art style. It feels fresh and exciting while the story is not what I expected, yet it was entertaining enough to play the game through. However there are many flaws in Dishonored for me to recommend it. The missions are repetitive and the game just feels like I am playing Bioshock other than something new and original.
  94. Oct 10, 2012
    It is a good game. Only thing I don't like is the 85 degree max field of view without unsupported modifications, and of course the unimpressive graphics. Max settings at 2560x1440 it looks like an early release unreal 3 engine game of 5 years ago. There are many unreal 3 engine games with significantly better graphics.
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  96. Nov 11, 2012
    Not worth $60. I would like to take a puff off what some of these reviewers are smoking (or getting paid by developers to smoke). The game is decent as far a most games go, but where can I get some of that sweet video game payola?
  97. Nov 10, 2012
    Gameplay is pretty fun but nothing special. The port however, is poorly optimized and the bloated menus and UI testify to the game's origin. The environments are beautiful and artform is very nice but this is all shot down by the awful graphics. It's 2012 but I guess making games for six year old hardware is all the rage nowadays.
  98. Dec 7, 2012
    Sadly I bought into the hype for this game, again. I never seem to learn. Having had a bit of a hiatus from games for a year the press this game was getting finally got me to dust off my (gaming) mouse and get stuck in. The way the (paid?) reviews talk you'd think this was the second coming, you'd think it was the best game of the last 5 years. Unfortunately it's not. Not even close. OnceSadly I bought into the hype for this game, again. I never seem to learn. Having had a bit of a hiatus from games for a year the press this game was getting finally got me to dust off my (gaming) mouse and get stuck in. The way the (paid?) reviews talk you'd think this was the second coming, you'd think it was the best game of the last 5 years. Unfortunately it's not. Not even close. Once again we find ourselves traipsing through a dreary, hackneyed and clichéd world with everything, and I mean everything, from Game X,Y,Z thrown in for good measure but executed with such dullness that it's hard not to fall asleep while playing. Yes we have the weird bioshock-esque format (that was another over-hyped game in it's day that fell mega short on good gameplay and THIS game is far worse as far as gunplay is concerned) yes we have the dreary Half Life 2 atmosphere (but again nothing has beaten HL2 on that atmosphere yet and this game isn't going to), it even has bits from old cult classics such as 'Undying' in there - you'll know when you get to this (early) part what I mean. The feeling I'm left with is a game trying to be another 5 different games from history, and while it isn't 'bad' it is NOWHERE near these 10/10 'amazing' ratings it is getting! I guess standards have slipped over the years if this is supposed to be the new gaming nirvana? I won't mention any good points - just read the 100+ 10/10 reviews for that. I will mention: Terrible voice acting, static environments, no feel of dynamics to gameplay/gunplay, no sense of pacing, no atmosphere (though it seems to think it has), OLD graphics technology (not even a hint of depth of field, object blur etc all the stuff that is now standard practice, this game art direction aside which is good, looks like a game from 2004!), too MANY pick up items (Bioshock suffered a bit from this but this game is terrible!) TOO MUCH hand holding (every waypoint highlighted by default, every item/gate/door flashing and telling you exactly what you need which leads too...), no sense of self discovery, very linear feeling (the reviews made it sound like and older fashioned GTA done right!?? no way!) Aw man I could go on and on but this game already sucked up enough time from my life that I can never get back, all I'm trying to do is warn others to go in with LOWER expectations than the reviews may give you. It is NOT anywhere near as good as old classics like Theif or Deus Ex were in their day! And It doesn't hold a candle gameplay wise or graphics wise to many other games from the past 5 years. Also the human characters are terrible, poorly proportioned (I get this is part of the art direction), ugly ugly faces (do they have to be?), poor textures, poor lighting. Overall the worst thing for me was the feeling of how static everything seemed, not just the levels but the characters, the gameplay, the conversations... oh man those conversations make the laughable stuff from the adventure game Black Mirror (one) seem like works of art! It just has a very old-fashioned (In a bad way) feel about it. A very average game with a nice enough art direction missing out on what makes games FUN. Others may rate me down, seems people hate criticism about a game they love but sorry, these are my genuine feelings I'm left with from a game that made me feel glad to go play any other game than this! I actually felt depressed while playing the thing! a combination of plodding gameplay and overly linear hand holding. I don't know WHY this game is getting so highly rated but it's a shame if people really are thinking this is the best the industry can achieve in 2012? I have a fast PC have it on full settings (though it is still console nerfed even then) and it does nothing for me. it feels flat and boring. And relies far too much on the cheap version of 'stealth' (basically DO as you are told, and sneak up on everyone - boring, stealth has been done a million times better than this in anything from the uncharted series to splinter cell!) do NOT buy this game if you are hoping for real stealth gameplay that feels visceral and exciting. It's not here. It is by the numbers. The game is decently enough presented with more options than a typical console port at least but I just can't shake the feeling i've played THIS game before, over and over in so many other games that did it first and did it better. I swear you would be better off playing HL2+episodes as old as it is than touching this game. Honest final opinion? I'd rather go read a book! Expand
  99. Jan 2, 2013
    This game is no where near a 91/100, Ill start with a positive. Your hand animations are great, well animated and makes you feel more immersed but you cant see your legs so that's all ruined. The graphics are outdated, this is a 2012 game and games over 5 years ago look much better, it's like an uglier TF2. The environment is the same old style of depressing concrete, random pipes andThis game is no where near a 91/100, Ill start with a positive. Your hand animations are great, well animated and makes you feel more immersed but you cant see your legs so that's all ruined. The graphics are outdated, this is a 2012 game and games over 5 years ago look much better, it's like an uglier TF2. The environment is the same old style of depressing concrete, random pipes and industrial themed, and of course a sewer level. There is garbage everywhere to make it look like the world has gone through a tragedy but its just another way developers can be lazy and put random crap everywhere instead of planning out the maps, it feels as if everything has just been placed randomly. The blink power ruins all the stealth because instead of sneaking you can just teleport everywhere, the "see through walls power" ruins the stealth because there is no challenge when you are aware of everyone's positioning and what direction they are looking, and no point of using keyholes to look through doors. The stop time power lets you skip content so they might as well put a button saying "skip to next level". You will be confused about whether someone on the street will be passive and leave you alone or start attacking you for no reason. The combat is very repetitive and will get boring, just left click to swing sword and right click to shoot or use some power and if you are feeling fancy then you can block by holding ctrl, you are discouraged from combat if you want a good ending anyway. You can quick save and load everywhere, so you don't feel in danger of being caught or getting killed. The AI doesn't respond as you would expect and kills any realism and immersion. The "story" is terrible because of how predictable and unoriginal it is, you feel no emotions towards any of the characters in the game because of how bland they are and the dreadful voice acting. Lastly you will get bored by the limited weapons and powers quickly. If you want a good stealth game go try batman arkham asylum/city because you won't find one here and don't be mislead by all the high rating reviews. Expand
  100. Jun 20, 2013
    I always love stealth-action games but i cannot play this. Stealth mechanic is not work, enemies uses nightvision and you are so weak. But this game is great. Because made by Bethesda. Bethesda is great developer and everyone likes their games. Anyway save your money for hitman or human revolution. Or you can wait new Thief. :P

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]