8.3

1. Dec 10, 2012
    [For PC] It could have been so much better. Thats the feeling I got both times I completed this game, the first time i went through with a combination of stealth and brutality - i sneakily killed everyone. Second time I went through like a ghost, killed no one and aimed for an alternative ending. The mechanics of the game are fun - however theres so many places it could have been better,[For PC] It could have been so much better. Thats the feeling I got both times I completed this game, the first time i went through with a combination of stealth and brutality - i sneakily killed everyone. Second time I went through like a ghost, killed no one and aimed for an alternative ending. The mechanics of the game are fun - however theres so many places it could have been better, for example - no matter what difficulty setting, this game is way too easy - the AI are thick and for whatever reason your char is blessed with godly powers over your enemies who, in any number are completely at your mercy. yet, its still fun. The plot is awful, its execution is slightly worse. They use this loosely coupled slot as a means of producing levels, each level gets "harder" but only terms of the number of guards, watch towers, tall boys and gates. I don't think that multiplying the amount of dumb NPCs dotted around the level is really a progression. It gets dull after a while. each level is somewhat open-world and there are many ways you can achieve your objectives. In this sense it kinda works but in reality your scored on key things and if you, at all care about your score and the outcome of the game, suddenly your options become limited to a very linear step by step process your being guided through by the AI and clues shoved directly under your nose in case you missed them. Other games like this, hitman, deus ex to name a few have all been compared to this game countless times and many of us went in with some expectations. its not like any of them. This game is entirely "Console", it's perfect for chilling on the sofa and playing without giving it your full attention. PC Gamers tend to look for an immersive experience with plenty of choice and feeling. This game lacks both - it's linear and its easy. I still played through it twice though! Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2012
    I can't understand how people give this game a ten. This is game is not bad by any stretch of imagination, but some people stating how this is one of the best games ever is quite frankly astonishing. Yes, you have some nice little toys to use at your disposal, but when it comes down to it it actually feels limited. The stealth part of the game is basically limited to using the blinkI can't understand how people give this game a ten. This is game is not bad by any stretch of imagination, but some people stating how this is one of the best games ever is quite frankly astonishing. Yes, you have some nice little toys to use at your disposal, but when it comes down to it it actually feels limited. The stealth part of the game is basically limited to using the blink ability, a standard choke and an odd sleeping dart thrown in. When the **** hits the fan and enemies come from all angles the game turns into a mess and rushed and you feel never in control of the situation, unless you waste a whole mana potion slowing down time, but then it becomes a walk in the park with no challenge. Being in a shadow or in the light makes no difference, it's just same boring pattern of hiding behind a box waiting for the person to turn around and to then sneak up (blinking) for the quick choke...the textures also look horrendous, and the character development is non existent, quite honestly I couldn't give a **** about any of the characters. The plot twist can also be seen a mile away and is the same plot twist that plagues the film and gaming scene. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point. Like I said the game has nice features and is worth a look if you like this kind of genre, but it doesn't come close compared to the classics of Thief and Deus Ex. Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    It's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doorsIt's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doors leading to a handful of other, smaller areas. It tries very hard to be the Thief of this generation but humbly fails, in my opinion. I read somewhere that Dishonored's stealth system that was supposed to be based on Thief's but was discarded because it was too "unrealistic". Instead they put a system where the only direction an enemy faces is straight, so even in broad daylight you can stand above an enemy's line of sight and they'll be none the wiser. There's also the superpower that lets you see through walls. I really don't get if they were being sarcastic, or just plain old stupid, but there it is. The story is a cliche mish-mash, set in a fantastic but very unbelievable world. All in All, i liked playing it for a short while, but when i stopped there was no real craving for another run. After Thief 2 I was left with a void for a good sneaker installment (Thief 3 was ridiculous, aside from the Asylum mission). This comes close, but i don't think this is IT. Rent before buy is my advice. It might not be your 50$ cup of tea. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    Dishonored provides solid assassin gaming experience but remains very short. Some of the skills in the game make playing almost too easy. Graphics are a bit old compared to now days standards but it doesn't ruin the game.
  5. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" isThis game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" is just in all honesty cheap and unfinished. It looks like a PS2 or Iphone game. The stealth mechanics do not work well and hand to hand combat is atrocious consisting of holding down block then clicking your mouse to counter. No combat, no real stealth mechanics, where is this awesome gameplay again? The only three things that are fun are "blink" which allows you basically spring forward, possessing animals, or stopping time. Far from revolutionary and amazing. Sound is awful and so are character models. There is "free running" like most open world games offer now.

High action? Far from it. If you want a high action game go play one of the new batman's or assassins creed. This may be a decent game and give you some moderate entertainment for the VERY short play through, but it is by no means acceptable as a "blockbuster" or game of the year.
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a Bethesda-published game, which means that it does the same thing every single other Bethesda-published games does: Completely fail to live up to expectations. I went in to this game expecting a nice mix of Thief, Bioshock, and a little Assassin's Creed, and I got a heap of average gameplay mixed in with a below average story. Let me start with the thing that bothered me the most:It's a Bethesda-published game, which means that it does the same thing every single other Bethesda-published games does: Completely fail to live up to expectations. I went in to this game expecting a nice mix of Thief, Bioshock, and a little Assassin's Creed, and I got a heap of average gameplay mixed in with a below average story. Let me start with the thing that bothered me the most: The story. In short, there's hardly a story in the first place, let alone a compelling one. The story is a cliche-ridden mess without an interesting beginning or a satisfying ending. I cannot care for any of these characters because I don't know them, nor can I connect with any of them. I cannot care for what happens to the city or the world around me because the game fails to immerse you beyond some supposed good gameplay. My second main complaint is the gameplay itself. It's average in its best parts, and completely vanilla in the rest of it. Swordplay is a joke, number one. It's completely uninteresting because of so few mechanics in play. Simple complexity is what a game should strive for, not plain simple. The stealth mechanics are DATED. There are many things that some be intertwined with the stealth side of the game that simply don't exist. The main problem of this is that the AI is dumb as a rock. I'm not expecting geniuses everywhere, but I AM expecting the enemy to wake up an unconscious comrade, run to a superior to call reinforcements, and to overall be much more aware after spotting me, or a fallen ally. The AI is the most simple you can get in a game like this: Once they lose sight of you, they lose all memory of you. They ignore dead bodies after 10 seconds, and they don't attempt to help each other. This makes the game WAY too easy. The only way to get any real difficulty is to remove the UI completely, never use your powers, and attempt to get the no-kill and the ghost bonuses, as well as collecting everything. And even then, it would just be time consuming, not truly hard. The animations and graphics, while secondary, are also pretty average. Animation is stiff, the graphics are standard and unimpressive. This is a shame, because the art style and the art direction appear to be pretty good; but they're held back by these things.
    Even the game's good points are marred by either laziness or lack of explanation. The world is interesting, and I love the setting, but after the end of the game, I understand very little of it because it simply was not explained, and barely even touched upon. The setting allowed for some interesting elements to happen, but they simply didn't because of the simplistic gameplay, the lack of proper story-telling, and the apparently lack of simple EFFORT. My favorite thing about this game is both the setting and the sounds as a whole. I love both of them, but neither of them can carry this game to a better rating.
    And finally; the biggest failure of this game is that it seems like the devs got all the basic stuff covered and simply didn't continue from there. This is a basic, BASIC game, and these days that simply doesn't cut it. It's a painfully average experience.

If you've already purchased the game; I'm sorry.
    If you plan to; Don't. Rent it and see if you feel the same.
    If you somehow think this game is still amazing; Well, good for you. I wish I could think the same.
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    Mehhh. Game is just o.k. It's such an obvious console game that it really feels kinda scrub on the PC. Illusion of choice in all the levels, because they are actually quite linear. The game basically punishes you for killing people, so the "right" way to play it is to avoid everything and not kill anyone. This basically ruins the point of using all the cool powers and weapons. My biggestMehhh. Game is just o.k. It's such an obvious console game that it really feels kinda scrub on the PC. Illusion of choice in all the levels, because they are actually quite linear. The game basically punishes you for killing people, so the "right" way to play it is to avoid everything and not kill anyone. This basically ruins the point of using all the cool powers and weapons. My biggest complaint however is you basically HAVE to keep the power that lets you see through walls on 24/7. Without it you are at a huge disadvantage. The problem is this means you're playing in washed-out sepia mode with annoying music / sound the entire game. Could it have killed them to put in an enemy radar?

Rent it, don't buy it.
  8. Oct 11, 2012
    I decided to play Dishonored because all the major critics were raving about it, I started it up on my PC after watching the cinematic trailer. Let me ask you a question, do you love Deus Ex? If you answered yes to that question then I think you'll enjoy what little time you get with Dishonored (And I mean little.) I disliked the game for a number of let me lay them on the table here.I decided to play Dishonored because all the major critics were raving about it, I started it up on my PC after watching the cinematic trailer. Let me ask you a question, do you love Deus Ex? If you answered yes to that question then I think you'll enjoy what little time you get with Dishonored (And I mean little.) I disliked the game for a number of let me lay them on the table here.

1). Terrible narrative, and overall bad character development.
    2). Linear (With branching paths) gameplay.
    3). Heavily broken gameplay.
    4). Deus Ex Human Revolution STEAMPUNK STYLE!
    5). Feels like the art designer at 2K helped... The style is very similar

So let's talk about the narrative. I didn't care about Corvo, nor did I care about the little girl he should be saving, I found that even the villains are boring and not worth my time. I haven't seen such stiff lifeless looking characters since 2004... The characters do not feel alive, or even well animated, before you go running to that whole "It's not supposed to look realistic!" Yeah I realize that but the animations should have looked better, this part of the game just felt really unpolished and pulled me out of the immersion. I didn't find the story original. The whole "I want revenge for being betrayed BWAHHH!" is so overdone I could have done with out it, and the twists in the games story are just, well let's say that I don't know very many people that wouldn't see them coming. The gameplay is the big thing here though right? Wrong the "Play the way you want" model is the oldest trick in the book, the illusion of control. You do have several ways that you can complete the missions set in front of you, and let me tell you killing people in a number of ways, or knocking them unconscious has never felt so dull. I found that a lot of your options start feeling less like options and more like toys to play with, witch is neat except that I got that little feeling in the back of my mind that made me realize that they weren't as rewarding as they probably meant for them to be. I felt like even though my options were open they were limited. If you'd like to kill you have a nice set of gameplay styles to choose from like razor mines, a pistol, a crossbow for silent takedowns, even the sword takedowns pretty nifty to be absolutely honest, if you want to do the whole non-lethal thing though well... You get sleep darts, and chokeholds, that's all folks! not many options in there. Your essentially given the most game breaking skill right off the bat and that's the blink skill. Blink allows you to teleport anywhere you aim. Blink is neat but it makes the game amazingly easy even on hard. and I couldn't justify why it felt so limitless. The false feeling of progress also felt really empty to me with the game giving me dozens of objects to pick up! It felt almost like the game kept trying to give me depth but it just felt so shallow. The AI is ludicrously stupid, I found myself easing by them all the time, and if you want to kill easy, stop time! The game feels very borrowed, I didn't feel one ounce of originality or a sense of fleshed out personality from this game. "Deus Ex did it better" were the words that kept crossing my mind. I realize that the whole cyberpunk thing doesn't appeal to everyone and this steampunkish styled world might come off a bit more appealing to others! Well good news it does do a decent enough job at giving you an interesting idea. I enjoyed as much of Dishonored's setting as I did skyrim's arrow to the knee crap... It felt bland and lifeless, and once again I find myself comparing it to the all mighty Deus Ex. Have you ever played Bioshock? Great game, I enjoyed it tons! This game feels like it stole that charm. I feel like the art design for the game just felt old out-dated and bland. Bioshock had this way of letting us feel interested in the world around us, it thrusted us a man of mystery and unknowing into a world full of the same, and made us feel interested and charmed. Dishonored feels so borrowed and so un-original I don't recommend buying it if you played Bioshock, or Deus Ex. The game is REALLY short, ends suddenly, and becomes tedious. I think though if you haven't played a lot of games, and you by chance did touch those two games I mentioned because they're settings and plot didn't interest you, you might like it. I won't say it's a bad game but it is definitely overrated. I beat it twice and liked some of it, but I will admit to you that it in the end had a very, very, very, very hard time holding my interest... So if you want more of what Deus Ex had to offer but want a cut-short and flat feeling experience go for it.

Overall I'd say pass.
  9. Jul 31, 2013
    Very good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, butVery good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, but could contain a few missions and gameplay hours more. The graphics unfortunately are not that great on PC, especially some of the textures are rather low quality. Still a recommendable game though. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    People will most likely to hate me for giving it a score of a simple 7, seeing how many rated the game from 9 to 10, but Dishonored did not meet my expectations.
    The gameplay is fun, and the story is full of potential that in my opinion is not used.
    Cut-scenes are mostly boring and the plot is only seen at the start of the game and through the rest of it, it's implied. I love the
    I love the super-natural touch in the game and the optional objectives, but I just keep feeling like something big is missing.
    As a stealth action game it's working and not missing much.
    However after getting used to the game and playing it for about 3 hours I enjoyed it quite more.
    Also I love the graphics style, it's like a 3D oil painting.
    There's too little about the main protagonist all the information you get is his job and how he got, wait for it.... ~DISHONORED~. And usually it's no problem. but only when throughout playing the story you discover more and more, and here it feels like I'm a puppet in every mission.
    And being the puppet that you are, you can't do much else so you keep doing the same thing over and over again It's quite boring.

The game is fun, but it's missing a thrill.
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    As far as the gameplay goes, it's excellent.
    Stealth mechanics are superb. interesting level design with multiple ways to complete each mission.
    The story decent, but my main gripe is the characters themselves: voice acting is meh, dialogues are boring and and overall pretty dull. plus the protagonist is silent so you don't really gets attacked to him. (although he is not customized)
    As far as the gameplay goes, it's excellent.
    Overall had a lot of fun, but could have been much better.
  12. Nov 6, 2012
    Dishonored world and gamestyle closely resemble Thief series which is one of my favorite series. But the game has some undeniable flaws. Firstly the story of Dishonored is predictable, secondly game can't keep up the fast pace nor keep it interesting. Thirdly, the difficult is too easy even in hardest difficult settings if you play as assassin and game is frustrating if playing asDishonored world and gamestyle closely resemble Thief series which is one of my favorite series. But the game has some undeniable flaws. Firstly the story of Dishonored is predictable, secondly game can't keep up the fast pace nor keep it interesting. Thirdly, the difficult is too easy even in hardest difficult settings if you play as assassin and game is frustrating if playing as pacifist. Also game is too easy at the end because character development. Expand
  13. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little thatThis is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little that motivates you to go too far off the beaten path, no real reason to explore the nooks and crannies. The missions themselves are usually pretty similar in nature each time (you can meet them with different methods, but still basically the same kinda missions), there are a few missions that are a bit different, but not different enough or unique enough to really warrant much mention. It seems like this game would have benefited from a better upgrading system, the upgrades you can get are not very exciting, thus there is very little motivation to strive to find more coin to reach for that next awesome upgrade, nothing like that at all. It's an enjoyable game, and I'll continue playing for some time still, but once it's run it's course I probably won't ever come back to it for further play in the future. If they made another Dishonored game, but instead of trying so hard to make the stealth aspects the major gameplay mode, they shifted it into more of an action and exploration oriented RPG with a more open-world feel to it, this game would be great. I think that's where this particular game would meet it's highest potential. Expand
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    Despite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bowDespite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bow trough walls. So the "silent" way is always getting behind enemy's, one by one.

Its not bad at all, but it could be so much more. And so DX and DX:HR are the better alternatives.
    And maybe there has been some cuts for being playable on consoles what it makes it to simple to play.

I would rate it lower just because it was so much hyped.
  15. Dec 23, 2012
    It is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. TheIt is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. The choice of weapons is reduced to a generic pistol and a generic crossbow /comes now with the official cheating ammunition: Sleeping darts!!!)

Story: 4/10 Standard stuff and mostly predictable (to me at least)

Graphics: 5/10 Beeing a fan of Steampunk, I was enthusiastic at first. However after playing the game for some time i noticed, that the graphics are not quite up to date. Texturework tends to get muddy, animal models are laughable (espacially the dogs). Because most of the levels look quite alike the sections look Sound: 6/10 The score is ok but nothing too memorable, overall it gets you in the mood, nothing more nothing less.

Gameplay: 4/10 You get 4-5 hours of unspoiled and exciting gameplay, where you have the impression of an open world in which you can interact. Until you suddenly realise that this game is more linear then plain old Half-Life and that most of the encounters can be handled in quite similar ways. None of them seem balanced to this point. The two main options are either Sneaking or sabotaging (difficult but more exciting) or Fighting and performing magic (easy and unrewarding). The few instances where you have to forge plans on how to infiltrate a place are spoiled by the fact that the possible alternatives are pointed out so plainly obvious, that it hurts.
    Verdict: Not bad, but in dire need of some balancing/expanding. For now better stick to System Shock 2, Bioshock, or the Thief series...
  16. Dec 20, 2012
    Honestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full ofHonestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full of blood, the people just don't seem to give a damn if you are here to kill and the only thing the guards tell you is to put it away. I mean WTF !! Anyway, I still haven;t finished the game yet as it's getting a bit boring now ! I'll give it a go during the weekend to see if it's worth carrying on !! Expand
  17. Jun 23, 2013
    Flavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try toFlavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try to run-and-gun through a stealth game. This brings forward another problem: not enough non-lethal options. The whole game can be beaten by blinking behind enemies, choking them, and hiding the body in a dumpster and, sadly, this is the most effective way to beat the game.

For being so plot-centric, Dishonored's story is disappointingly predictable and the ending boils down into two paths (high or low chaos). Dishonored is missing something thematically at it's core but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps this is one of the few FPS games that would benefit from stylistic cutscenes instead of locked & zoomed camera interludes.

Dishonored is a refreshingly creative stealth game with very stylized graphics that will stand the test of time (the same can't be said for the gameplay sadly). I think this is worth playing but it is disappointing to see what could have been if Arkane stuck to creating solely a strong stealth game.
  18. Oct 24, 2012
    In short words its quite good mix of hitman and bioshock placed in steampunk ? world.
    I love games which give me a choice how to play, and Dishonored is just the way i like to play, however story is rather dull, and game is little too short (i completed it after 15 hours of play on hard difficulty)
    To be honest i expected more, but its still a good game.
  19. Jan 10, 2013
    This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.

The Good:
    The voice acting is quite superb. The game creators got very good cast together to deliver some very good dialogue.

The overall feel of the in-game universe comes across quite well, especially during the first few missions. I recall that Viktor Antonov, one of the guys who designed the art behind of Half Life 2, designed the overall feel of Dishonored, and this feeling is pervasive through the game. The tone and mood of the environment come across very starkly to the player, and this adds to the immersion of the game, and contributes to feeling like you're actually in a real dystopian steam-punk world, not unlike Half-Life 2.

The Bad:
    The gameplay is weak. This was a difficult observation to make based on the great overall feel of the universe. This game manages to combine a masterful universe with mediocre gameplay, and gameplay that belies the mastery of the in-game universe. This contrast is quite jarring at times.

The control system was clearly no optimized for PC play. The game is nothing like Batman: Arkham City, where clear effort and time went into a PC input scheme to optimize the play for the PC players. With the plethora of powers and abilities that the character has access to, it would stand to reason that some powers could be directly mappable to the keyboard. This is not the case: the character may only use one power at a time (and this includes some of the less-active powers, such as dark vision and blink, and have the sword out all the time. This becomes awkward in certain non-aggressive missions when having your weapons out is quite silly, and could have been solved with a better keyboard mapping system, and a little bit of time spent optimizing the controls for PC play.

The plot is terrible. I won't give any spoilers, but if you have half a brain you should figure out exactly what is going to happen by the end of the first mission set. This game fails to surprise, but that alone does not condemn the plot. It failed to be unsurprising in a passably interesting manner.

The game feels incomplete, and there is not enough game, especially for a $60 big-production title. This is to say, it's way to damn short, and it moves far too quickly. I have the distinct feeling that this game was intended to be about twice or three times as long, and then got pushed out to sell the title more quickly.

For an example of this incompleteness. The first mission is amazing. Several side missions, tons of content, many paths to victory, later on this is simply not the case. The mission maps become increasingly linear, boring, and lack the side content of the first few missions.

Overall:

Play it when its $20-30 or wait for something better. This game surfers from a serious lack of game time, and a rushed plot. 9 missions is simply not enough. With so many ways to play this game it could have been much longer without getting boring since there is always more than three ways to accomplish the mission objectives. The controls are frustrating, and combat is utterly trivial. This game survives a failing rating due to its excellent "feel," but suffers critically from a lack of in-game substance, insufficient storyline, control issues, and mediocre game-play at best. This game has potential, but we'll never know unless they release a SDK or something where players can add mod content, but I wouldn't hold out for that.
  20. Oct 19, 2012
    This is a good game. Yet that is where I will stop. I know lots of people are giving this game rave reviews, but I simply cannot.

First, the art style is intriguing and much of that is a personal taste. I normally like steampunk, or in this case whaleoilpunk. Yet the characters are downright ugly. If that was their choice so be it. I know there is a bleak aspect to the game considering they are in the middle of a plague. Yet being constantly surrounded by ugly characters is not enjoyable. There is also the texture issues, and the fact they some things are just poorly done. I am not lowering this game much for the graphics (no game should be), yet this does have graphical issues.

Second, there just is not a lot of character development. There is world development if you choose by reading the books scattered throughout the world. Yet the character development is fairly poor. I wanted to more about all these people I was working with and also the ones I was killing. Yet other than a few conversations and the random really brief letter/diary you can pick up it's really sparse.

Third, the gameplay can be fun at times and tedious at others. I cannot count how many times I went to choke a player and instead went into the defensive stance which alerted them to my presence. The computer AI sometimes seems real good, and at other times seems braindead. Yet it can still be fun flying all over the place and avoiding detection or simply going in and wiping the floor with everyone (although the hand to hand combat can be a chore at times).

Fourth, once you pick a style of play it really starts to feel repetitive. They do introduce some new stuff here and there, but for the most part you will be doing the same thing. They even repeated a level, which ticked me off.

Overall, the game can be a fun experience for a little while, and it can be fun finding all the different ways around things. Yet I did not find this game as special at others. Perhaps it's the simple lack of good stealth type games on the market anymore, but in the end I found this worthy of only a 7 (which means to me worth a playthrough by renting it, but certainly not a buy).
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    Dishonored is a great example of a game that payed for good reviews. I'd hoped that some publishers were beyond bribery. I was wrong. Since I have to make this longer than 150 characters, here you are.
  22. Nov 4, 2012
    It's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get isIt's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get is amazing but you can't help but feel you could've had more. It's a good job the game has great replay-ability and I'm sure than any future DLCs that come this game's way will be just as brilliant. Expand
  23. Oct 26, 2012
    New and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to aNew and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to a remarkably new extreme. First I'll mention the graphics. From the reviews I read I was expecting something special and the artistic style is actually a very nice blend of steam/cyber punk and ye olde world toffery. But the graphics themselves leave a lot to be desired as they feel incredibly flat, and they actually aren't too atmospheric. The feeling of a living breathing world is also somewhat absent due to the linear nature of the levels. True there might be a side alley to lead you to your objective by a hidden route, but it is literally one purpose built alley and built for that very purpose. The premise for the game play is not a million miles away from Hitman or Splinter Cell - only you have a few magic tricks to help you on your way. The difference is that a game like Hitman will provide you with many different options for completing a mission - you might steal a key card, steal and wear a uniform, assassinate from afar with a sniper gun, poison a meal, etc etc. With dishonored you might steal a key - but that's the only option you really have in terms of open play because you are given no others. And so few civilians too. Even dark shady enterprises have civilians working for them. The story is also not the best. The setup is fantastic, the setting is great but the story itself was only vaguely interesting to me - and the more supernatural elements to the story I just found boring. In terms of what I was expect/hoping for I was disappointed. I put it on hard level and completed the game in less than 15 hours. I don't have any real yearning to go back either. When Bioshock came out and got rave reviews - the game I played surpassed my expectations (yes it's amazing!), I can say the same about Arkham City and Skyrim. The latter 2 games I have poured hours and hours, days of my life into - and which have rewarded me immensely! But I payed an equal price for all of these games. All at approximately £30. Had this game come in at half that price then I would probably mark it higher. But there is simply nothing in the game mechanics that struck me as 'wow I can do that!?' like the Gravity gun in HL2, or the Portal gun. Possession is only a new idea if you discount any of the sci-fi games which allow you to take control of robots. Teleporting is not a new idea. Sneaking around to get to an object is not a new idea. I wanted to like this game, I really did. But I was left rather hollow by it. However, I have played at least 70 hours of Skyrim and have loads left to do, so if I add the two games together and split the cost (same developer) then that's currently 42.5 hours per game and £30 a game, so it's not all bad.
    I feel a bit like a marketing genius has mind freaked all the critics into believing red is yellow, and they all went 'Oh yeah!' It's not a bad game, but it's not as exceptional as one might have hoped.....or been lead to believe!
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    I've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that itI've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that it feels quite limiting to the overall approach one should take throughout the game. This is coming from someone who prefers more open-ended games with a lot of weapons and less feeling of guilt as a result of using lethal force to neutralize hostiles. Anyway, I'm not discouraging people from playing Dishonored. I'm just suggesting that if you're favorite approach to combat is putting all bad guys to sleep without being detected, than this is right up your alley. Expand
  25. Oct 16, 2012
    I beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always putsI beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always puts you in line of sight, and it's basically luck if they see you or not (reminiscent of FPS mode in Metal Gear Solid 2). NPCs will start looking for you on one side of the map if you throw an empty bottle on the other. The entire hide and seek system is wonky and unnatural feeling.

I've been told this game is a sandbox and I'm playing it wrong. But how can you have a sandbox game with linear objectives (even the "alternative methods" present themselves linearly) and static environments. You can't blow up walls, knock over things, or put anything to use in the environment. The extent of environment interaction is turning off a barricade, disabling a turret, throwing empty bottles or throwing explosive barrels, take your pick. Oh also, this is a level based game
  26. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is fun, but it is certainly not the 8.7 reviewers give it. The game is really linear. Although the levels are large, you end up going back to the same areas. Another problem is that the gameplay is very repetitive. I spent most of the game hiding behind boxes with dark vision on. Jump out when they turn around and knock em out. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum until you've beaten the game. This game really reminded me of the old Thief series, just not as much fun. Although this is a stealth game most of the upgrades are for combat. Of all the runes and weapon upgrades most were pointless. You could easily beat the game with just the starting equipment and no runes or charms.

My biggest problem was the silly story. It was painfully obvious that you were going to be betrayed by the loyalists from the beginning. The dialouge was sooooo boring, and little to do with what you actually do in the levels. Graphically the game was OK, but not incredible. I have to give this game a 6.5 out of 10.
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    It's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the settingIt's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the setting is impressive and it gives you a good start, but once you get accustomed to these factors you start looking for more. That Expand
  28. Oct 17, 2012
    Mediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoyingMediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoying really fast. I found myself only playing for about 45-60 minutes at a shot because the motion blur / camera design made me sick. Maybe worth a rent, but not $60. Expand
  29. Oct 25, 2012
    Decent game. The art style is great and the gameplay can be lots of fun in later parts of the game as you get more powers. But the story is lacking and the characters are hard to care about. In the end, nothing memorable or particulary exciting.
  30. Oct 19, 2012
    I read a few reviews before I even started playing Dishonored, and I wished I hadn't. I was expecting some top-shelf title that once again is touted to produce ecstatic experiences in the media blitz, but only manages to produce nausea once released. While Dishonored is not carved wholesale from diamonds rent from the earth by Vestal Virgins, it is not a bad game. I didn't get what II read a few reviews before I even started playing Dishonored, and I wished I hadn't. I was expecting some top-shelf title that once again is touted to produce ecstatic experiences in the media blitz, but only manages to produce nausea once released. While Dishonored is not carved wholesale from diamonds rent from the earth by Vestal Virgins, it is not a bad game. I didn't get what I expected going in, but after a steady diet of Assassin's Creed titles for the last four years my view of 'stealth FPS' had been greatly skewed. Dishonored has much more in common with titles like Hitman or Thief, where one is much better off staying hidden, picking off guards one at a time, than leaping from the shadows in a flurry of steel a-la Ezio Auditore. The more I played the more I found myself enjoying this Predacious style of gameplay. It is both challenging and fun. Not in the human blender style of Assassin's Creed but more the patient planning and observation of Hitman or Thief. Sadly, where the game falls down, hard, is in the writing. The setting and set-up have the makings of an excellent novel but the execution is quite basic. Without preamble, without the chance to get into the skin of your character (Say with an introductory mission) you are told that you are the Empress' personal bodyguard, that you are a formidable swordsman, and it is hinted that you are secretly (or not so secretly) in love with the empress. My first gripe here is that the swordplay is incredibly basic, it is shot through with some glorious animations, but none of them are within your control. The second is, that I am being TOLD what to think and feel. Before I even have a chance to meet the empress I am being told how to feel towards her, a few extra minutes of dialogue, an extra scene or two could suck me right in here, but alas I am left wanting. If you liked Thief, Hitman, or Deus Ex Dishonored is a welcome addition to the genre, but go in for fun, not world-changing ideas. Expand
  31. Nov 15, 2012
    To keep this short this game was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the game play and had a blast playing through it 2 times. However it lacks in story and depth so if you are looking to be entertained for a few days then I highly recommend giving this game a play through! However don't be disappointed if this game doesn't fully reach your expectations.
  32. Dec 17, 2012
    I've just finished Dishonord. It is very nice game with steam-punk atmosphеre, remarkable passage, but very boring story. I will not dwell on the gameplay. it is beautiful, but the characters are not finalized, the plot is clear from the start, and the denouement completely sad. I recommend this game to people who do not think about history, ready to pass the levels many times andI've just finished Dishonord. It is very nice game with steam-punk atmosphеre, remarkable passage, but very boring story. I will not dwell on the gameplay. it is beautiful, but the characters are not finalized, the plot is clear from the start, and the denouement completely sad. I recommend this game to people who do not think about history, ready to pass the levels many times and did not pay attention to the obvious mistakes. Expand
  33. Jan 6, 2013
    It is unbelievable, as many have stated, that critics alike are giving this game such terrific overall scoring. This game does many things well, but as you proceed into it's rather thin an uninspiring story, we start to notice that the game is incredibly one sided in the sense that presentation and atmosphere are the standalone achievements of this development, not the story nor the gameIt is unbelievable, as many have stated, that critics alike are giving this game such terrific overall scoring. This game does many things well, but as you proceed into it's rather thin an uninspiring story, we start to notice that the game is incredibly one sided in the sense that presentation and atmosphere are the standalone achievements of this development, not the story nor the game play. While the faults of this title are not the worst in the genre, they do stand out enough to make DIshonored a 6 or 7, in my book. Even with the RUSHED ending, so so characters, the lack of tangled character twists, Dishonored is still worth checking out for the graphical experience. While the game play is not very involved, Dishonored still lets you (but never forces) create your own ways to go about infiltrating monstrous environments that are crawling with foes. Always fun, even if you can't help but think how other titles did it better than Dishonored. Pick it up at a budget price (19.99) but, please, don't listen to the hype on this one. Expand
  34. Feb 12, 2013
    A flawed masterpiece. There are many engaging elements to this game, I'm not going to list them all because it is well worth you finding out for yourself. The stealth mechanic works well, enabling the player to assume the persona of Dishonored with ease. Characters are well presented, well written, the only flaw here is that some of the more important ones could have done with a bit moreA flawed masterpiece. There are many engaging elements to this game, I'm not going to list them all because it is well worth you finding out for yourself. The stealth mechanic works well, enabling the player to assume the persona of Dishonored with ease. Characters are well presented, well written, the only flaw here is that some of the more important ones could have done with a bit more back story before being dissolved into the plot. Completionists will find there is plenty to do with collecting coins and treasure, but therein lies another flaw. The game drives you forward, often leaving you uncertain as to whether you can or will return to an area where side quests and goodies lie in wait. There is an emphasis on being merciful rather than lethal but this is contradicted by the plethora of deadly weapons and gadgets available to you, if you favour not killing everything then you will only have two weapons (well one of them is a 'move') at your disposal during the entire game. The spell powers you get are again well designed and implemented however, again, most are geared towards killing, not subduing. Overall the desire to push on is strong, and all flaws aside Dishonored creates a thoroughly absorbing and memorable new universe in which to lose yourself. I highly recommend adding this game to your library! Expand
  35. Jul 12, 2013
    Not the worst game I've ever played, but certainly not the best. Stealth is made easy with all of the different powers that you have, and just going around killing is no fun whatsoever. The entire game is basically doing the same thing. Go to this place to kill or silence this character you don't care about, and then do the same thing a little while later. The runes and bone charms are funNot the worst game I've ever played, but certainly not the best. Stealth is made easy with all of the different powers that you have, and just going around killing is no fun whatsoever. The entire game is basically doing the same thing. Go to this place to kill or silence this character you don't care about, and then do the same thing a little while later. The runes and bone charms are fun to customize, but I feel as though there aren't enough of them. The story is pretty predictable, and isn't worth playing for alone. If you enjoy stealth games, this is the game for you. If you do not, then avoid it. Expand
  36. Apr 8, 2013
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    The background, the environment, is top notch. You can clearly see bethesda at its best in the small details, a very good steampunk, grimdark environment gaining some depth with every book you find. The plot is believable, even tough nothing new, and thankfully it's about one city and its government, not another "save the universe" cheap crappy plot. Music and graphics are also very good, and you can see that a lot of work went into this game. In fact, while horrible messes like Mass Effect 3 are probably mistakes to blame on a corporate timetable imposed on the developers, the problems of Dishonored are mostly about the game mechanics themselves.
    The bad:
    The stealth is quite shallow, being built around skills that allow you to blink around and stop time. It is in fact a better game if you simply refrain from using such skills most of the time, but you will come across some section which will force you to do that. Going for a killing spree is just plain boring, and I wouldn't recommend that, in the same way I wouldn't recommend it in Deus Ex HR.
    The game also has pretty much no replay value. Maybe I'll pick it up again in some months, and then forget it forever.
  37. Mar 16, 2013
    Not a bad game, not bad game mechanics, and not a bad story. The problem with the game is everything is decent and predictable. Although the ending is quite enjoyable and I loved the characters.
  38. Jul 11, 2013
    so i played the game in the "hard mode" (forgot what its called) and went chaos path and was soso. Very tidios and repetitive and it seems you spend 75 percent of the game in dark vision (which was super tidios switching back and forth. Would've enjoyed the game so much more if it that was done differently. I ended up beating it but it seemed every level after a certain point felt likeso i played the game in the "hard mode" (forgot what its called) and went chaos path and was soso. Very tidios and repetitive and it seems you spend 75 percent of the game in dark vision (which was super tidios switching back and forth. Would've enjoyed the game so much more if it that was done differently. I ended up beating it but it seemed every level after a certain point felt like just another stupid twist and kept dragging on through the end.... my thoughts. Expand
  39. Feb 23, 2013
    Dishonored is beautiful, but a bit shallow. Although immersive and stylish as a stealth game it fails at a very important thing grey stealth state. If you are ever noticed good luck, everyone in the immediate vicinity knows where you are (and extra soldiers magically appear out of thin air, too). If you approach everyone individually and stack bodies somewhere none of the enemies willDishonored is beautiful, but a bit shallow. Although immersive and stylish as a stealth game it fails at a very important thing grey stealth state. If you are ever noticed good luck, everyone in the immediate vicinity knows where you are (and extra soldiers magically appear out of thin air, too). If you approach everyone individually and stack bodies somewhere none of the enemies will ever suspect anything. Also, the dark sight skill is pretty much a necessity as it gives you the second best utility out of all, outshined only by the blink. Unless you go for the no magic achievement, in which case good luck to you... It is not a bad game by any means, it just lacks freedom margin there's usually more than one way to reach your objective unnoticed, but the only effective ones involve blink and high ledges. There's more than one way to kill a bunch of enemies, but, again, the effective ones are based on time stop and explosives. And, maybe, the occasional time stop and possession, if you are eager to waste mana. That's the entire game process there's the one boring but effective way of doing things and then there are a number of exciting but time consuming ways prone to failure. Choke him carry him drop him. Repeat N times, where N is the number of patrolmen. Or you can quicksave and try to do stage a mass casualty with rats, razorwire traps, grenades, et cetera. And actually pull it off on your third or fourth quickload. Oh, and Callista takes baths fully clothed... Expand
  40. May 20, 2013
    Really nice game, with a stunning amount of detail in it's world, but really, once you master Blink and Dark Sight the only challenge remaining is to find all the content in the highly detailed levels.

A fun, lightweight game, with a hint of epicness, but not quite realised.
  41. May 13, 2013
    Reminiscent of Thief and Bioshock, this game is enjoyable only to those who choose to play it "properly". Those who enjoy to run in guns blazing aren't likely to have a lot of fun here, or would be better suited in just playing Bioshock Infinite instead. However, those who like to stealthily avoid conflict and explore the world before them will have a blast.
    I myself enjoyed this game,
    I myself enjoyed this game, but I do have a few issues with it.
    For one, it's far too short. Can't really expand much on this. I'm the kind of guy who likes to find everything as well, but I still found this to be a far too short story.
    Secondly, some of the textures just don't look right. I love the hand-painted style of the textures in the game, but some of them just look muddy and bland, which detracts from the otherwise superb style.
    Finally, I don't think character development is done well enough for a game like this.
    However, fans of Deus Ex Human Revolution, Bioshock and the old Thief games should definitely give this a look.
    A final note is that this game is very well optimized, meaning it'll run even on a moderately weak PC splendid!
  42. May 21, 2013
    Overall, a good game. while the storyline was not always original, the setting and gameplay environment was unique. The game was rather short but it compensated with replayability. I liked that there were different possible gameplay styles which led to different endings. I also liked the open world. i didn't like the repetitiveness of the AI after a while their same conversations wasOverall, a good game. while the storyline was not always original, the setting and gameplay environment was unique. The game was rather short but it compensated with replayability. I liked that there were different possible gameplay styles which led to different endings. I also liked the open world. i didn't like the repetitiveness of the AI after a while their same conversations was rather annoying. Considering the game was meant to give the player freedom in determining the course of play, i was hoping for more options and felt the game fell short in meeting this objective.

It was nowhere near as good as other Bethesda releases. I was hoping it would be similar to Fallout but doesn't come close. Nevertheless, i did enjoy playing it.
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    If Dishonored was a drink it would be Arizona Sweet Tea. It has the good taste of stealth and nice level design but has the bad aftertaste of bland as cheerioes characters and an awful story. The Stealth Element Of The Game IS very innovative bringing fantasy elements to running around and stabbing people with supernatural powers and cool weapon mechanics. Sadly though it makes the game asIf Dishonored was a drink it would be Arizona Sweet Tea. It has the good taste of stealth and nice level design but has the bad aftertaste of bland as cheerioes characters and an awful story. The Stealth Element Of The Game IS very innovative bringing fantasy elements to running around and stabbing people with supernatural powers and cool weapon mechanics. Sadly though it makes the game as easy as clicking a mouse. Even on the hardest difficulty it took me 12 hours. Dishonored has great level design with sprawling epic buildings and many ways to see tomato juice come out of you foes. You can jump around buildings or just run and stab them or place traps everywhere or.......there is a lot! The problem here is In a LINEAR game such as Absolution you still have endless ways to kill someone while being in the laws of physics. You would think with an open sand box you can just find awesome ways to stab things. Now with the Good Out here comes the bad aftertaste. THE NPC's are just bad............... They have no emotion like robots. I would get the same order Corvo go kill the man he is bad and we don't like him beep boop" its like if i tried to stab them there would be an electric shock. Stealth games i have seen have bad stories but come on just get some film writer and make a nice script. Absolution and Deus Ex HR had lovely stories but here its just wrong. The Ending without spoiling it is bad in both ways. Its either everything is good or everything is bad. It isnt 2000 we need to focus a lot on a game now because we progressed. Dishonored has the charm of the immersive and awesome city. Stealth= Awesome Upgrades= Sweet Everything Else= Shant. Luckily the awesome is in a lot more then the bad. So wait for a discount. Dishonored gets a 6/10 Expand
  44. Oct 17, 2012
    For a mid-teir game, the mechanics and gameplay are serviceable. But it is only a mid-teir game, so don't expect greatness there. For this to be a worthwhile game, the art design and story have to be very good. The art design, albeit very low rez, is excellent. Moody and distinctive, it had the potential to really suck me in.
    The story and dialog, however, are terrible. Cliche, piled
    The story and dialog, however, are terrible. Cliche, piled on top of trope, pilied on top of cardboard character. Then there is the fact that it treats the player like he/she is an idiot mongoloid. Do we really need to be told half a dozen times "you are brave and our only hope, you must save the empresses daughter from Darth Bowser." There is nothing to discover, because the game is afraid that you will miss something if it isn't spelled out in CAPITAL BOLD LETTERS twenty times. And can we please quit with the constant monologuing (see The Incredibles movie). Oh, and lest I forget, there is Zelda level holdhanding with the constant 'helpful' popups.
  45. Oct 9, 2012
    all i can say is meh. the graphics are circa 2009 and the pc port looks terrible. it just does. Unreal Engine 3 shows many signs of wear. the gameplay feels like thief + assassins creed in first person. the game is not a true open world fps, where the "open" element exists within the confined areas you are given to do missions. i felt on a rail the entire game. item finding to buildall i can say is meh. the graphics are circa 2009 and the pc port looks terrible. it just does. Unreal Engine 3 shows many signs of wear. the gameplay feels like thief + assassins creed in first person. the game is not a true open world fps, where the "open" element exists within the confined areas you are given to do missions. i felt on a rail the entire game. item finding to build powers makes it feel like sleeping dogs. there is no sense of vulnerability in Dishonored game. i never once felt threatened by anything that attacked me due to the overpowering abilities i had. to add to that, the A.I. is pretty horrific. its great to have alot of options when you want to kill people, but what is the point if they are just cannon fodder and stupid as bricks. its like wayne gretzky playing in the minor leagues. dialogue is nothing more than scripted cutscenes with no choice from the player. really hate to say it, but i feel let down. Expand
  46. Oct 24, 2012
    It was an ok game, the combat and stealth were decent, but the controls are so clunky, the same button does 3 or 4 things (using the same button to both grab a chain and drop to your death from the top of it was a ridiculous oversight imo), and maybe its just my game was bugged, but my saves were constantly dsappearing, and none of them had the actual time in them, it just saidIt was an ok game, the combat and stealth were decent, but the controls are so clunky, the same button does 3 or 4 things (using the same button to both grab a chain and drop to your death from the top of it was a ridiculous oversight imo), and maybe its just my game was bugged, but my saves were constantly dsappearing, and none of them had the actual time in them, it just said day/month/year hour:minute:second, so when you try to find the save you're on i have to load each until i find the right one (if its even still there)... its good, but it could have been better, and i would recommend waiting for a GotY or collectors bundle if you want more than 20 hrs of play time.

Oh, and don't try shooting between bars, even hand rails with 2 foot by 4 foot openings, apparently dishonored was programmed back in the day when everything had to be a solid wall. I thought game programmers had evolved past bulls**t like this, but I guess I was wrong.
  47. Oct 11, 2012
    Excellent level design and arts but the game have a really bad story and is actually a sandbox experience. There's absolutely no challenge, our character is too powerful (you can one shot each enemy of the game + weird escape with blink) and exploration isn't rewarded well. After a ghost run, I've finished the game in 5 hours in very hard without any powers/upgrades (only blink and knife)Excellent level design and arts but the game have a really bad story and is actually a sandbox experience. There's absolutely no challenge, our character is too powerful (you can one shot each enemy of the game + weird escape with blink) and exploration isn't rewarded well. After a ghost run, I've finished the game in 5 hours in very hard without any powers/upgrades (only blink and knife) which reminds me that's a real problem if you don't like sandbox game and prefer games with real challenge. Expand
  48. Oct 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sadly, I can't in good conscience give this game a score higher than 6. It was fun, to be sure, but it suffered from some major flaws.

1. The stealth is incredibly encouraged, to the point where the game practically forces some levels to be done in stealth. HOWEVER, there are only 2 powers that are used to encourage the stealth style- the sleep dart and the blink ability. After a certain point, these begin to run dry.

2. Length. I was shocked when the game ended when it did, and the final level was disappointing. I choked out the final boss from behind with no trouble AT ALL, and then it was game over.

3. Textures. I understand the graphical style the game was going for but some of the textures are plain ugly.

Good game overall, but please rent it, it's not worth $60.
  49. Jan 11, 2013
    Dishonored feels like Thief with cool magic abilities, a similar equipment and much less likeable characters.
    I admit I've had some fun with this game, but not as much as I expected. The powers are the most interesting aspect to toy around with, along with the equipment which is more or less a steampunk version of the weapons from Thief (bow, dagger, mines). I am not entirely happy with the graphic compartment, which has good level design but it seems a little dated in quality terms; especially the dark vision is incredibly dull, with those boring plain color items and enemies. The one thing I hated most were the characters; the protagonist is silent, lacking the personality of some Garrett or Azio Auditore; the NPCs are simply unpleasant to interact with and don't add much to the gameplay, I can't really connect or care about any one of them, even princess Emily, because the game doesn't allow you any real chances for conversation. I dislike especially their design, with deformed heads and huge hands they seem like caricatures more than regular human characters. The steampunk setting in general is interesting and... weird... though not as involving as my experience with Thief (sorry I keep bringing it up but it's clearly the older brother of this game, with sneanking around, loot and all!). Unfortunately the story itself hasn't much to offer, I could tell all the plot "twists", predictable as they are, hours before they actually happened.
    Oddly enough, the game gives you a homicidal arsenal to play with but rewards you more for a non-lethal approach, which doesn't make much sense to me. In Thief you were a thief, not a killer, so it made sense the game rewarded you for NOT killing people, but in Dishonored you ARE an assassin, so why make the player feel punished for killing enemies? It's what the game is about!
    Overrall, the game builds up a lot of tension and sadness in the player, with the plagued city, the rats and the sick people everywhere; it does it so well, I actually felt anguished in real life after playing Dishonored for several hours. Unless you decide to take out your weapons and crack some heads, you don't have much chance to let that tension out. I missed, in fact, some moments of adrenaline rush, when the stealth approach is off and you have to punch your way through enemy lines with brute force. I also missed a few simple things here and there, such as maps of the city in your inventory to get around, and highlights on the rat tunnels which are hard to spot.
    Dishonored is a nice game, but it could have turned out much better. It has good mechanics but not so well implemented, and sorely lacks bright moments, character interaction, surprises and in general, a deeper player involvement. I hope in a sequel to give it a higher rating, it's a 7- in this review.
  50. Nov 9, 2012
    Finished the game with some mixed feelings. A big PC gamer but this is my first stealth game so takes this review for what it is.
    The Bad: I know graphics aren't everything but immediately upon playing I thought I had gone back in time. For a 2012 game the aging graphics hit me pretty hard, true or not I blame it on the current console manufacturers for that one. Bring out a new console already so I can get better PC games. The environment was decent but the characters were rather poorly done in parts. Pendleton's repeated horrible animation for taking a hit of whisky from the flash ... errr.
    The storyline was just acceptable til about halfway through and from here there seemed to be little to no effort to produce any kind of enticing plot to grip me.
    As I played the game as stealthy as I could and hence only bought upgrades related to and found I had about 7,000 gold + to spare by the end that I didnt have anything to spend on... a better money sink would have been nice but not a big deal.
    The Good: again first time stealth game but I loved the mechanics. The powers to invest in were thrilling to engage in and defeating your enemies in whichever way you wished.
    I enjoyed that you could play the game in so many ways. In the fact that you could smash through the mission with arrows flying or complete stealth (and many variations in between). Also that you could could complete missions in a few different ways.
    I played the game on the 2nd hardest difficulty and found the direct brutal way far to easy so I'm going through again on the hardest difficulty with the aim to kill anything moving !
    Overall a good game minus the poor graphics and average plot line. Not disappointed I bought it not but impressed either
  51. Jan 9, 2013
    What can i say? It felt short and easy. AI is a bit dumb, and blink makes everything too easy. Dishonored is fun. Good level design though. But i can't say it's a game worth 60$.
    It's worth the try though, it isn't a bad game, but it's simply mediocre. Could have been more
  52. Oct 26, 2012
    Story-wise, the characters are bland and uninteresting, the narrative is cliche and there is 0 attachment to the player or his allies. Gameplay wise, this is a boring game with a few interesting stretches that pique your interest but never deliver. The visual design is cartoonish but not lacking in inspiration, and unfortunately only adds to the distance one feels with the game. A gameStory-wise, the characters are bland and uninteresting, the narrative is cliche and there is 0 attachment to the player or his allies. Gameplay wise, this is a boring game with a few interesting stretches that pique your interest but never deliver. The visual design is cartoonish but not lacking in inspiration, and unfortunately only adds to the distance one feels with the game. A game you will not bother to finish unless you are amused by either of the two play styles. You can either blast through the game, slaying enemies and summoning rats to eat them - which is ultimately unchallenging and repetitive - or you can go through the tedious frustration of blinking to and taking down each enemy in a non-lethal fashion and abusing the quick save feature to its fullest (while being limited to not using 95% of your arsenal because of the pacifist requirement) . That is, if you even manage to care what happens in the first place. Expand
  53. Dec 29, 2012
    Short and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once youShort and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once you find an easy way to kill say a tank, then you have no problem fighting it for the remainder of the game. The writers put in things for shock and awe that please casual gamers. Expand
  54. Oct 18, 2012
    Once i saw CGI trailer of game, i was cheated to think and hope Dishonored would be finally 1st true stealth game of last 5 years, since SC3, HBM, T3 and Crysis that does it right, unfortunately it didn't.
    I expected stealth mechanics to be just like in Chronicles of Riddick of Thief 3 (in FPS mode) or Splinter Cell 3 or at least like in Dark Messiah - i wanted to hide in shadows and have advanced AI and be aware of full body with legs. Unfortunately stealth gameplay in this game is frustrating and broken, even worse than latest DXHR was (where you also cant hide in shadows and where AI is pretty dumb and when most of stealth features locked for about half of game), it even worse than it was in Dark Messiah. AI is dumb, deaf and blind to compensate lack of hiding in shadows. Yes you heard me right, thats another pseudo-stealth game that ignores lighting, also when you sneaking you do not even produce footsteps sounds.
    I expected hand to hand combat to be just like in dark messiah or even better, but instead it became worse, i cant even punch anyone and send him flying into death trap, because i have no legs, animation is no that smooth as i expected, sometime it shifts from one phase to another quite jerky, and combat is just a bit random, combo of magic and sword is not that effective as it was in Dark Messiah.
    I expected parkour part of game to be just like in Mirror's edge, realistic, fluid, with full body awareness. And yet again there is nothing like this, everything done simply by cheating and moving magic pointer in right place.
    And shooting... well there is no shooting in this game, pistol is useless and darts - part of primitive stealth gameplay.
    I also expected pc version to have dynamic shadows and lighting and high res textures, but everything is pretty much static and lighting of arm is delayed, body of any NPC can disappear randomly (in stealth game where you need to drag them? seriously?), and textures just awful, super low res. Strange, but Splinter Cell 1 on PS2 was far more advanced that this so its not really a hardware limitation.

I expected character to be part of game world, a person with voice that merged into world, but instead i have yet another unrealistic silent character and npc that doest care about his silence (Half Life anyone? Crysis 2?).

These things really disappointed me, this game had great potential, but it was wasted, and instead of having best of all games, we only get bits of other games, and these bits doesn't work well together, game feels and plays like some alpha version where most of necessary features not implemented and have placeholder like "we will add ability to hide in shadows in next build, now just play with almost blind AI instead".

I really hope that just like Skyrim, this game will have patches that will not only fix some minor bugs, but will add gameplay features as well, and 1st thing Arkane must improve - is stealth, they must add hiding in shadow, enhance AI, and make them blind only in dark places; second thing - they add fully animated body. It shame that in 2012 some first person games still have no body awareness. Just look at riddick and syndicate or mirror's edge - that how it should be done. Third thing they must add - voice acting for Carvo and bidirectional interaction between him and other characters.

But despite those flaws setting, art direction and story are very good (together, story itself, separate from setting is not that good), and only they keeps me from giving this game low score, without them i would give it like a 5 of 10, with them its 7.5 of 10, but stealth, body and voice improvements could make it a solid 10 of 10 i mean real 10, not over-hyped 10 like most of magazines and blind fanboys gave this game.

P.S. - its really sad to see how stealth genre was dumbed down and downgraded in last 5 years... most of current stealth games outdated comparing to old good Riddick, Splinter Cell 3 and Thief 2 or 3 or Crysis 1, most of current gen "stealth" games, including Deus EX Human Revolution and Dishonored, returned to state of 199X era, with very simple and primitive stealth features and AI.
    Please keep that in mind Arkane and any other Stealth devs and do a proper stealth action or don't do it at all.

Despite i stated its a 7.5 of 10, when i wrote last part of review i started to remember how many stealth features of true stealth games missing in action these days, and since game was pushed mainly as stealth game i changed my mind... i was generous too much for ART and Settings, so my final score is 6 of 10. And one more thing that frustrates me - standards became so low these days, people overhyped about mediocre games and gives them 10 of 10, but clunky games would not have a chance to get more than 5-7 of 10 in 2000-2005 era.
    Also i must note that i agree with what people, which gave this game a 0, wrote, but i disagree about giving it a Zero, 5 is minimum it deserves.
  55. Nov 13, 2012
    Look, its a good game.. but its not the best example out there, Deus Ex Human revolution was better executed, longer and had a far more involved story. Its an original world, but not a particularly clever one. Its good, but its not great, and its not worth £30. If you fancy it wait till the Christmas sales.
  56. Nov 1, 2012
    This game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gateThis game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gate type of choices in this one. Expand
  57. Oct 20, 2012
    Having a big problem with this game. It IS fun to play. It IS fun to explore. There ARE various ways to deal with missions, but they all are about stealth. Walking in gun blazing isn't really an option here. If You choose to play this game on high difficulty without killing innocent people the replayability doesnt exist, cause there is nothing that could amuse You anymore. The biggestHaving a big problem with this game. It IS fun to play. It IS fun to explore. There ARE various ways to deal with missions, but they all are about stealth. Walking in gun blazing isn't really an option here. If You choose to play this game on high difficulty without killing innocent people the replayability doesnt exist, cause there is nothing that could amuse You anymore. The biggest disadvantage is the plot. I was really, really hoping (based on the interesting world, interesting protagonist and the hype) that the story would be deep. It isn't. The narration is very poor and no twist will really suprise You. When You get the mission that should end the game in 3rd hour of game You know it'll fail, don't You? Expand
  58. Oct 24, 2012
    I personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enoughI personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enough to get it on console--I'm sorry for your loss. Graphics---Week, Storyline---Seen it before, Concept---Truly awesome... Basically it is Bethesda's answer to BioShock fans. As a reviewer of games as a hobby (Liquid Gamer Podcast), I get to play a lot of games, and this was disappointing. Although the idea is outstanding, the execution is lacking. Hear my full review on the show, http://liquidgamer.podbean.com Expand
  59. Nov 11, 2012
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Whales! How could we not have seen it before! They're big. They in the water. They have blubber. They can't run away very well on land.
    Why DON'T we turn them into an energy source? And food? And trophies? And super economy? Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this computer.
    I'm sure there will be nay sayers, but I'm sure if I asked a whale if it wanted to be an energy source or not it would just go "waaaaaaaaaaahbbbbwaaaaaaabbl" which isn't even words.
    Not a very sound argument Mr or Mrs Whale. Quite immature.
  60. Dec 18, 2012
    Does the PC gaming need an other FPS? Answer: NO. It may have a nice quality but this is something we have seen already many times.
    Good graphic but old game, puck effect guaranteed.
  61. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    If you are not a sneaky person, you will probably give it a lower score. Cool tricks, cool game play, semi-crap story.. buy it play it. but beware of some sort
    disappointment.
  62. Jan 28, 2013
    Dishonored in a unique stealth game that has very good parts to it but I never got sucked into the game. The use of your various powers makes the game unique to each player as there are many different ways to complete a mission. I have to admit that I did not a much attention to the storyline as I wanted to get to the action as quick as possible. The graphics are great but I did have anDishonored in a unique stealth game that has very good parts to it but I never got sucked into the game. The use of your various powers makes the game unique to each player as there are many different ways to complete a mission. I have to admit that I did not a much attention to the storyline as I wanted to get to the action as quick as possible. The graphics are great but I did have an issue with some of the face designs, some of the people in the game look flat out terrible and creepy. If you were a fan of the thief games then I would give this one a shot. If you are looking for a more action based game then look elsewhere, this is a stealth based game and getting into combat is not the focus. Expand
  63. Oct 19, 2012
    Graphics : - 1

Plot : - 1 Music : - 0.5 (They didnt really put that much effort into music) Game play : - 1.5 (Stealth with FPS is just lame, it should've had RPG option too / The game was not that challenging though / I didnt have the chance to try all the powers of the character !!! ) Experience : + 1 (It was fun for me after all with the plague/rats theme, early 90's is a
    Graphics : - 1

Plot : - 1

Music : - 0.5 (They didnt really put that much effort into music)

to try all the powers of the character !!! )

Experience : + 1 (It was fun for me after all with the plague/rats theme, early 90's is a good era to be video gamed)

" Revenge doesnt solve everything BTW "
  64. Nov 7, 2012
    I was really hyped about this game, like i think everyone was.. Im a hardcore gamer and i always try to get best score. In this game that meens you need to go non-lethal on enemies and that make game ubber boring. After getting my hi-score i went true game second time , this time killing everything and going kinda loud. It was so much more fun... And here is my problem, becouse that gameI was really hyped about this game, like i think everyone was.. Im a hardcore gamer and i always try to get best score. In this game that meens you need to go non-lethal on enemies and that make game ubber boring. After getting my hi-score i went true game second time , this time killing everything and going kinda loud. It was so much more fun... And here is my problem, becouse that game supose 2 be stealth game, which meens killing silently should give you more fun and satisfaction. It definetly didn't and more, this isnt stealth game at all, it could be if designers wouldn't fail on making it so... Enemys AI is just redeciolusly stupid, and game have many bugs which makes it ubber easy even on hardest difficulty. It' FUN game to play but NOT a stealth game like it was advertised... Expand
  65. Nov 30, 2012
    This game advertisment,trailer,user comment,and review does not met what it really meant.The game is not as good it was advertised.The combat system have really improve a lot.The maneuverability of the combat system is really big.Every action you've done effects the game.The storyline is deep and exciting,although most game have the same storyline.Got deranked,work with traitors,try toThis game advertisment,trailer,user comment,and review does not met what it really meant.The game is not as good it was advertised.The combat system have really improve a lot.The maneuverability of the combat system is really big.Every action you've done effects the game.The storyline is deep and exciting,although most game have the same storyline.Got deranked,work with traitors,try to have revenge.Overall the game combine all the old storyline which make it a brand new story with old mixup.I love it.What really made me down is the amount of power you have is only 6.I think the game should have more power to improve the magic combat system.Like making the enemy crazy.The idea of the bonecharm is really nice.It's like some kind of perk.I'm not saying this game sucks,I'm just saying that the advertisement are saying like it's the best game in the world.News is better then the game itself. Expand
  66. Dec 3, 2012
    I have extremely mix reviews about this game, I feel when i play it I am somewhat engaged however, I rather play any other game. I felt the storyline was not very good and strangely I felt the best part of the game was the ending where (i had the bad ending) Emily has such an ominous sound in her voice. But the entire game felt like I was grinding all the way around the game to find theI have extremely mix reviews about this game, I feel when i play it I am somewhat engaged however, I rather play any other game. I felt the storyline was not very good and strangely I felt the best part of the game was the ending where (i had the bad ending) Emily has such an ominous sound in her voice. But the entire game felt like I was grinding all the way around the game to find the bone charms (which are useless) or runes to make the game seem longer than it actually is (and still beat it in 12 hrs on hard) and you can also cheese through the game with stop time beating everything in your way. Stealth was incredibly difficult and I felt like I had to save every 5 seconds to accomplish anything. The wall of light makes absolutely no sense killing only the player and not anybody else. The game did not make the player think at all and it was simply "run in, freeze time, and kill everyone." This game received way too much praise by critic and does not deserve to be a $60 game (I would recommend waiting for a sale of maybe $25) Expand
  67. Jan 1, 2013
    I enjoyed Dishonored and I am glad I purchased it and played it through twice (no replay value after the 2nd go through because the game is not good enough) given some of the ridiculously high (imho) marks and reviews the professionals have given this when I now think Dishonored the first thought that comes into my head is Overrated.

Critics some giving it 100% (LOL) or high 90s (again

Critics some giving it 100% (LOL) or high 90s (again LOL). Reviews from critics (who must have been bribed) hailing the game 'a masterpiece'. Lies!!! The game is not even close to being a masterpiece.

The game is ok and the mix of action, stealth but other games previous to this have done action and stealth a hell of a lot better. The storyline is good but not immersive enough (again previous games have had much better storylines). I am rubbish at games so I can definitely say the game is far to easy (the AI is terrible). The graphics for a 2012 game are nothing special, no part in the game did I think wow that looks amazing.

Maybe because of the reviews it has got my expectations were to high. I think Dishonoured tries to be a mix of Thief: Deadly Shadows, BioShock's, Half Life's and Deus Ex's but it is not even close to being as good as any of these imho.

Summary of Dishonoured: an ok game worth playing if you can buy it cheap but overhyped and overrated.
  68. Aug 4, 2013
    Dishonored is a good game... GOOD not GREAT as many point it out to be.
    Positives:
    - Great atmosphere
    - Enjoyable Combat
    - Good Graphics
    - Great Skills
    Negatives:
    - Extremely short (about 4-6 hours)
    - Short Selection of Weapons
    - Bad Story
  69. Oct 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty decent game with some minor things to hate on and some things to like. MILD SPOILERS

its not open world and its not super linear perfect for a story driven game in this regard, but there is no real negative consequence for failing at sneaking as the combat is super easy and you can gun down the entire base if you wanted/had to and since you know how the game is going to end from the beginning there is no real deep storyline so i just ended up running through it murdering everyone with the ending justifying my actions anyways and not really having any negative consequence to murdering civilians or countless guards.

as for the artstyle it looks pretty nice and i like it a lot, and as the art director is the same as half life 2, i found myself looking at the bosses bases and the same blue steel look on all the bad guys stuff going... hey wait a minute i have seen this before. but even while not exactly original it is still different enough to be good and enjoyable.

finally there is very few weapon choices, i only needed to use 2 of the magic skills and the sword/pistol. the storyline was very very predictable but not bad or corny, but overall i still enjoyed the setting, the characters and some of the missions themselves were very enjoyable.

-dont believe the hype decent game but not worth buying, though it is the PERFECT rental game.
  70. Feb 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game, but also somewhat of disappointment. I probably wanted it to be like Thief more than I should have, and although there are many similarities to Thief, the game-play just doesn't live up to it. The story, design and characters are all superb, and it's proof that a new idea, and a different approach to the typical shooter, can be successful.
    By the time I'd finished
    By the time I'd finished the game, trying to keep the death-count as low as possible, I felt like I'd missed out on taking a more savage approach to the missions. So I replayed the whole game, and tried to kill as many of the bad-guys as possible (and even a few innocents along the way), and it was like a different game. I'm all for choice within game, and a flexibility to how missions can be approached, but I think the game would have been slightly improved by, once in a while, forcing you to take either a stealthy approach or a guns-blazing approach (similar to the Thief games). This would have meant that someone like me, who's default approach would always be stealth, would have had the chance to let-loose once in a while. I know that choice was always there, and I could have done exactly that at any point, but I didn't really believe that the bad-guys really deserved to die. They were just following whomever was in command, after all. My immersion in the game's narrative was actually preventing me from having a bit of fun. Maybe if some of the levels contained baddies who really deserved getting blown-up or an arrow to the head I would have had more chance to use more of my weaponry on my first play-though. There were times when a stealthy approach was the best way to avoid being killed, so these situations forced you to use more softly-softly tactics, but there was no point when a more action-packed method was essential. Sometimes, too much choice is a bad thing.
    Once I did decided to replay the game and in a more gung-ho fashion, I noticed how much EASIER the game had become. I could breeze through some of the levels in a fraction of the time I did when I was trying not to kill anyone, and I started to understand the criticism of those who took this approach on their first play-though and felt short-changed.
    Also, I appreciate the fact that the developers spent a lot of time to make sure each platform was given individual focus, but it still felt as if the PC version retained too many aspects of the console version. The ability to turn off most of the HUD elements, for example, is proof of this, but it took so long for me to figure-out which I needed and which I didn't that it probably spoiled the opening chapter. This is a probably a separate discussion, but you've got to ask yourself why do developers need to add so many HUD elements to make the game easier? If you can turn them off, and are still be able to play the game, then why have them in the first place? If the game needs them then why not just find other ways to offer clues to the player? Glowing objects, a compass and a map with objective indicators are usually more than enough, and have been a staple of FPS games since the Doom-era, so why introduce more clutter on the screen and destroy the immersion? Is it because they think console gamers are generally stupid, or perhaps it's because they're catering to gamers who are too young to play the game, but who they know inevitably will? This seems a far more reasonable explanation, and it's a real shame that a game's rating (18 in this case) shouldn't also reflect the intellect of the age-range it's aimed at. There's no evidence (despite what some may believe) that PC gamers over the age of 18 are any more intelligent than console gamers over the age of 18, so introducing ways to make the game easier, beyond the usual difficulty levels; which generally affect combat rather than game-play; can only be catering to younger players. And that is just WRONG. Anyway, I digress.
    Despite all this, Dishonored was like a breath of fresh-air, and I hope it gives more developers the courage to try something different with the common FPS. And I eagerly look forward to the inevitable sequel. Instead of filling the Thief-void, though, it just made me want Thief 4 to come sooner!
  71. Jan 1, 2013
    To all the people saying the stealth combat is limited and boring... that is the way you chose to play the game, i would not however pay 60 dollars on it... the steam price is much reasonable compared to the console price... I played through the whole game without killing anyone and found the game to be quite challenging. Having said that, after completing the game i have little desire toTo all the people saying the stealth combat is limited and boring... that is the way you chose to play the game, i would not however pay 60 dollars on it... the steam price is much reasonable compared to the console price... I played through the whole game without killing anyone and found the game to be quite challenging. Having said that, after completing the game i have little desire to replay the game. BEWARE if you go in killing everyone and blow through the game you WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. the game would be short and the payoff would suck... (big buggaboo about the ending it kinda is between bad and medium it was enough to take away from the game).... your choices do not effect the game's ending...All in All; Dishonored will be ass good of a game as you play it out to be. Expand
  72. Jan 21, 2013
    I bought this game in a sale, and I'm glad... Full price is too much for this very linear restricted game. It's well build, music is great but it lacks. It's sometimes a bit boring, story is shallow. So only buy at a sale, it's overpriced.
  73. Nov 3, 2012
    The most frustrating thing about this game is how close it comes to greatness. Although I genuinely enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that Dishonoured could have been so much more. In gameplay terms, Dishonoured could crudely be called a steampunk Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can kill enemies or knock them out. You can drag their bodies around and create a big old heap o' menThe most frustrating thing about this game is how close it comes to greatness. Although I genuinely enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that Dishonoured could have been so much more. In gameplay terms, Dishonoured could crudely be called a steampunk Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can kill enemies or knock them out. You can drag their bodies around and create a big old heap o' men (although bodies in Dishonoured have a habit of vanishing after a while). Each level offers a decent variety of ways to sneak, climb, charge or slay your way through. But Dishonoured lacks some of DE:HR's sophistication. The cover mechanic in Dishonoured, while straightforward, makes for the slightly ludicrous notion that an enemy cannot spot a player peeking out from behind a pillar. Corvo cannot talk his way around baddies. The plot is a good one for a computer game, but the efforts at character immersion are futile, given that Corvo is a blank canvas without character, and the dialogue sections contrast most unfavourably with DE:HR. Of course, it might be said that Corvo's personality reveals itself through actions rather than words, given that each mission's body count affects both the disposition of NPCs and the way that subsequent levels are played. This is a great idea in theory, but it also acts as a powerful disincentive to use one of the game's more interesting features: the combination of sword-and-pistol combat. Given that Dishonored has so few original features, discouraging the exploration of one of them in this fashion just feels perverse. Dishonored does have some interesting magical powers which stray pleasingly far from established RPG tropes, possession being the most obvious and delightful example. The downside is that such powers tend to make relatively easy missions even less challenging. And Dishonoured borrows one of Dragon Age II's most annoying attributes in converting collected loot instantly into cash, rather than offering the player the opportunity to do anything with it. If casks of whale oil can be made to explode, for example, could not a flask of refined whale oil make a jury-rigged grenade? Could not the medicinal herbs be sold to deserving (or undeserving) characters who might, in turn, offer some quid pro quo? While Dishonored is a fun and diverting 15 hours, is is not nearly so immersive or original as some reviewers would have you believe. But the really infuriating thing is that it could so easily have been great. Expand
  74. Nov 5, 2012
    Great stealth game but the plot is too predictable. The characters are unique but the endings are too linear. The graphics is good & framerate is very smooth though.
  75. Oct 20, 2012
    i enjoyed this game alot, its not something i usually play but it looked interesting after finishing the game which i just have, i wanted to share my review

pros great story,voices/actors makes you want to carry on playing strategic cons graphics feel dated, sometimes you can stand right next to someone look them in the face and yet your still not seen, game felt like it went

pros
    great story,voices/actors
    makes you want to carry on playing
    strategic

cons
    graphics feel dated,
    game felt like it went on far too long,

i liked the game alot and it was hard to criticize it on its faults
    although it had its faults the gameplay felt purposeful and fun
    until i got towards the end,then it just seemed as though it went on way longer then the game should have and nothing seemed original to what i had already seen prior, just same old same old.
    great game none the less, would and have reccomend(ed)
  76. Feb 3, 2013
    What can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summedWhat can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summed up like this. "Important lady gets killed, you get blamed for it even though you didn't do it and then a quest for revenge of some convoluted sorts." Expand
  77. Jan 20, 2013
    this game its great if you like those stealth games.

i like stealth games like AC3 and those but in this case they made the game really close.

i mean with close that you need to do the quest or nothing will happen.
  78. Feb 16, 2013
    Dishonored was a game that I had high hopes for, but like many other titles of the last twelve months, it let me down. The game has a heavy focus on stealth which just didn't quite play out as the developers said it would. There is very little stealth elements that actually work. The AI become too aware too easily both in daylight and night.

The 'skills' felts too much borrowed from

The 'skills' felts too much borrowed from that of Bioshock, as is many other gameplay mechanics, including picking items up, health, weapon use etc. I did however like the art style. It feels fresh and exciting while the story is not what I expected, yet it was entertaining enough to play the game through. However there are many flaws in Dishonored for me to recommend it. The missions are repetitive and the game just feels like I am playing Bioshock other than something new and original.
  79. Nov 11, 2012
    Not worth $60. I would like to take a puff off what some of these reviewers are smoking (or getting paid by developers to smoke). The game is decent as far a most games go, but where can I get some of that sweet video game payola?
  80. Nov 10, 2012
    Gameplay is pretty fun but nothing special. The port however, is poorly optimized and the bloated menus and UI testify to the game's origin. The environments are beautiful and artform is very nice but this is all shot down by the awful graphics. It's 2012 but I guess making games for six year old hardware is all the rage nowadays.
  81. Dec 3, 2012
    Definitely not what I expected. I'm not quite sure what, exactly, I was expecting... Certainly more of an open-world approach, coming from Bethesda. Maybe something more like Fallout 3 or Skyrim, but in a whalepunk setting.

That's not what I got. But the game is still fun. The game is very strongly mission-based and very linear. No roaming the countryside, taking up random

That's not what I got. But the game is still fun.

The game is very strongly mission-based and very linear. No roaming the countryside, taking up random quests, discovering interesting new locations. This game is focused on a single storyline, a single goal.

You may have different paths through any given mission... Able to choose between slaughtering everyone or stealthily sneaking through an area... But you can't complete the missions out of order. And after you've finished with a mission area, you're done with it. Even if a later mission sends you to the same area - it's actually a new location that just looks the same.

It also feels like stealth isn't given nearly as much focus as the gameplay trailers led me to believe. None of the magical abilities you can earn do anything to improve your stealthiness. No invisibility or cloud of shadows or anything like that. Lots of fast-travel stuff... Lots of combat-oriented stuff... But stealth is limited to simply hiding behind boxes and remaining out of sight.

The whalepunk setting, for lack of a better term, is absolutely terrific. The architecture, characters, costuming, ambient sounds... All mesh to create a downright haunting experience. I found myself, on a number of occasions, just hanging out on a rooftop and listening to civilians complain about the plague... Or listening to a guard whistle as he went about his patrol.

The controls were solid, responsive, behaved basically as I expected they should.

The graphics were decent. Looked nice. No obvious issues or corners-cut.

I find myself wishing there was more to the game... A more expansive storyline, a more open world. It's fun, but it just isn't as epic in scale as most of Bethesda's games. And I wish it was. I want to see more of the world.

Hopefully there'll be a sequel, or some DLC, or something like that.
  82. Dec 23, 2012
    I know that this game has been acclaimed by reviewers ...
    I see many reviewers giving good ratings for this game while being quite negative in their review.
    I guess it's because this game has some really nice features but at the same time, a lot of improvements could be done. My opinion : it's not a bad game but it's not really worth playing. My advice to players : play with the
    I know that this game has been acclaimed by reviewers ...

My opinion : it's not a bad game but it's not really worth playing.

My advice to players : play with the supernatural powers and check videos on youtube, it might help you to enjoy the game

Here are the things I would change to make it better :

0- Improve stealth killing mechanism
    How many times, I was behind an opponent, but because I was not perfectly aligned or at perfect distance, I could not "stealth kill" and got detected instead.
    By stealth kill, I mean non-lethal : choke-out holds

1- Improve "see through walls"
    It's working fine BUT what's the point of making a good looking game, if players use X-RAY vision (aka Dark Vision) which makes everything looks yellow ...

2- Improve graphics
    Yeah sometimes it looked great, but for example, faces/visages were not that great

3- Make it easier to have the "good ending"
    At least, make it more obvious, at the start of the game, that it's important to kill as less opponents as possible.
    Let the player knows how many kills (or some kind of indication) he needs to move to the dark side or to get back to the bright side

4- Make a less dark atmosphere
    Is it life not enough dark already ?
    Personal preference.

5- Improve load/save time

6- Make it easier to fight with opponents standing near

7- More original
    Yeah, I felt like playing a mix of Bioshock, Batman and AC.

8- Put less items to "loot"
    As much as I liked to find where were the Runes, I disliked to spend so much time taking money/items everywhere.
    Well, I could have just let the money there, which I did often but when you start a game, you never know if you gonna need all that money, etc.

9- Improve "lifetime"
    I know many will disagree but multiplayer gives you one reason to not rent or resell the game

10- Let us see/hear the hero !!!
    Maybe the biggest flaw

11- Improve translation (french)
    Ok I should have played it in English.
    But for people who can't, the voice of Horatio Caine from CSI Miami for all the guards, seriously ?

12- Let us kill instead of playing stealth and still have the good end
    By playing stealth all the time (or almost), you're missing out on interesting techniques/abilities/strategy. 13- Improve the Blink power Too hard to tell if the distance is too far to be reached via Blink 14- Give the powers earlier in the game
  83. Mar 10, 2013
    The story is thin, short. The skills are good, but the game is boring after a time. The combat is so buggy, often you get hit by a swordsman from 1 kilometre. The graphics are not the best, and the sounds should be better. Gameplay 2/3; Warranty 2/3; Graphics 1/2; Sounds 1/2; Bugs -1; Overall 5/10
  84. Sep 16, 2014
    There's plenty of good to say about Dishonored. The game mechanics are simple and straightforward, gameplay is intuitive and offers you choice in how you approach each mission, lots of options for controls. There aren't any major flaws in the game from a technical or design standpoint - expect for the poor textures. Graphically the game isn't far different from Half-Life 2. Facial detailThere's plenty of good to say about Dishonored. The game mechanics are simple and straightforward, gameplay is intuitive and offers you choice in how you approach each mission, lots of options for controls. There aren't any major flaws in the game from a technical or design standpoint - expect for the poor textures. Graphically the game isn't far different from Half-Life 2. Facial detail is horrific, but that's an art style choice perhaps. What really makes Dishonored shine is its immersive game world. It feels well-crafted and you can tell there's a lot of effort gone into making the story and context as polished as possible. However, despite all its efforts, Dishonored feels somehwat lacking in one major area: completeness. By that I mean it's so linear and unvaried, it feels more like a demo. Why do I have this opinion? Perhaps it's because I rarely got to use any of the upgrades I bought or engage in combat. And although the game doesn't present you with lots of pointless choices and text walls and RPG elements that don't affect gameplay, the level design is certainly lacking in gameplay variety. Yes, each level is well-thought and detailed, but the actual gameplay is extremely repetitive. I played the game on Hard and it suffers from the same problem as Hitman Absolution - that it's too easy to be stealthy. The game rewards you for not killing anyone and being sneaky. For this reason (because of the achievements), it's tempting to be tactical in your approach. Although the game's mechanics and tools and AI accommodate for this, the excitement is definitely lacking. Furthermore, should you choose to engage in combat, there is no real fun to be had there either. With just a pistol (or bow) and a sword, it's very basic. Fast, granted, but not fun. The supernatural abilities are indeed a great feature of the game and don't feel out of place, however as with everything in this game, they're ultimately unrealised potential. Never in a level was I forced to think creatively or use the level and my abilities/weapons etc. to make a meaningful impact in any way. I'm not saying that the game should be open-world or an RPG, I just think that it's been heavily cut down in order to make it linear and easy to finish in a relatively short time. The developers went through so much trouble to build the game world and story, yet none of the characters felt well-developed at all. Granted, the story is good, but it could do with so much MORE. Same with the levels - good, but need MORE VARIETY. You spend so much time exploring the levels finding journals (lots and lots and lots of text which isn't really worth reading), collectibles and money, yet in the grand scheme of things they're absolutely useless. All those upgrades for nothing! And the choices? Well, they seem meaningful at the time but don't really impact the story overall.

Bottom line: great foundations, unrealised potential. "Underdeveloped" is how I would sum it up. It'd be interesting to see how the next game turns out. Dishonored is a good game on its own but is a bit disappointing because it makes out to be so much more than it actually is.
  85. Oct 18, 2012
    This game is not anything special but in comparison to other games released this year this is a masterpiece. It reminds me on oldschool games and i enjoyed playing it. I hope they will make more games like that in the future.
  86. Jan 1, 2013
    Is a good game and I true what it states, you can play it like you want either as an accion game killing everyone or using stealth aproach, the problem in this game is the stealth is Ok but It could be much better Corvo only has one non leathal take down and it only can be used when you are facing a enemy in the back in frontal assault your only option are sleep darts but you can onlyIs a good game and I true what it states, you can play it like you want either as an accion game killing everyone or using stealth aproach, the problem in this game is the stealth is Ok but It could be much better Corvo only has one non leathal take down and it only can be used when you are facing a enemy in the back in frontal assault your only option are sleep darts but you can only carry 10 and you cant increase the sleep dart capacity so if you run out the only alternative is escaping asuming you don´t want to kill anybody in the game. Don´t take me wrong is a good accion game an a decent stealth game that could be better in the sneaking aspect Expand
  87. Jul 2, 2014
    Not sure why this game got 91 on metacritic, does not deserve it sorry. Its average at best and trying so hard to be Thief, Deus Ex and Bioshock it hurts to look at....whoever the writers are need to look up the word pseudo, because that's what you are and that's what this game is, a pseudo game written by pseudo writers.....Don't believe the hype kids. Bioshock Infinite is a fresh crispNot sure why this game got 91 on metacritic, does not deserve it sorry. Its average at best and trying so hard to be Thief, Deus Ex and Bioshock it hurts to look at....whoever the writers are need to look up the word pseudo, because that's what you are and that's what this game is, a pseudo game written by pseudo writers.....Don't believe the hype kids. Bioshock Infinite is a fresh crisp raspberry, Dishonoured is one made by a 3d printer. Expand
  88. Jan 2, 2013
    It's not a bad game, it certainly shows a lot of potential, but falls short in some aspects. The story is a little cliche' and a little short, I finished it in 17 hours on hard without killing anyone or being spotted, getting the low chaos ending, I couldn't pull myself trough another gameplay to see the high chaos ending, maybe someday. Usually you get multiple ways of infiltrating andIt's not a bad game, it certainly shows a lot of potential, but falls short in some aspects. The story is a little cliche' and a little short, I finished it in 17 hours on hard without killing anyone or being spotted, getting the low chaos ending, I couldn't pull myself trough another gameplay to see the high chaos ending, maybe someday. Usually you get multiple ways of infiltrating and disposing of your target, but when you aim for perfection the game becomes quite linear, especially in the non lethal part, but there is still some fair choice involved, especially in the infiltration, with you being able to blink almost where you want, possess an animal, a person, stop time, etc. The powers are nice and original, as I said the possess ability can open new paths, you can pass check points as guards or get inside some small holes as a rat. I like the setting, which is trying to give you the steam punk vibe but not always succeeds, and sometimes it's more post apocalyptic, yes the general "lore" is definitely nice and interesting, like the weepers. I say this is a nice game, but nowhere near the best of the year or the best assassination one. In short, good fun for the first playthrough, but definitely overrated. Expand
  89. Jan 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this game experience to be a lot like LA Noire, where at first I was impressed and then half way through found everything to be redundant (gameplay and mission wise). I like the setting, characters, and some gameplay aspects of this title. On the downside, it was incredibly predictable. It doesn't help that the characters look about as evil as the men that they were asking you to assassinate. Graphics were not jaw dropping but not too different from the quality of a lot of other Unreal engine games. If I had to sum it all up, I would say it is a mixed between Hitman and Assassin's Creed (Makes sense since it is the same genre), but in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion experience of first person view. Then minus some points for predictability, and redundant gamplay and mission experience. Expand
  90. Jan 8, 2013
    If you have a high end gaming pc and want a high end experience do not get this game. The water color textures are terrible. Just to get this game to look good takes build prop edits and a course in Nvidia Inspector. But other than the terrible visuals the game play by itself is really fun and the sound is awesome. I got 10hrs into the game before I uninstalled it.
  91. Nov 27, 2014
    So I thought I’d write a review for Dishonored as an alternate opinion to all the 9’s and 10’s this game is getting. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good game, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near a perfect game.
    The game has some shortcomings so even though I’m giving this a 7, I’ll focus on them.

The antagonist, Corvo Attano, really has no personality. He obviously has a history and a reputation that other characters react to, but he says nothing throughout the game giving us little clues as to what kind of person he is. I realize game developers do this in an attempt to make the player imprint themselves on to the antagonist, but many games add a voice and a personality to the lead character and it works well. In Far Cry 3, for instance where I felt more connected. In Saints Row 3 & 4 you can choose between 3 male and 3 female voices. I didn’t even go with my same gender and I felt connected to the personality of the lead character.

The AI is also not very good. If you put a guy to sleep, or even kill someone they’ll often not be alarmed at all upon discovering them, or do a quick search and if they don’t find you within 30 seconds, they’ll just give up and go back to their usual patterns.

For example, during one of the missions, I blinked into a room, took out the guard, the primary target was 5 feet away, but never heard me. I easily took out the primary target next, then I was slashed by a guard I hadn’t known was there. I slashed back, and he blinked away. I knew I couldn’t have killed him yet. But curiously, he never returned! (Maybe off to put some Polysporin on that superficial wound I gave him)

The plot isn’t terribly exciting. The first batch of missions force the plot along in a very contrived way. However; the plot does pick up towards the end of the story.

The setting is a plague infested, post industrial revolution London in a steampunk style and is quite beautiful in its own way. But it doesn’t seem like a living city like you’d find in GTA or Assassins Creed. There are very few innocent civilians wandering around. You’ll mostly just encounter guards and “weepers”. Weepers are plague infested civilians who basically walk and behave like zombies.

The characters aren’t very deep. Cardboard cut-outs really, but they serve their purpose. They have a character called “The Outsider” that’s some sort of supernatural being that gives you powers for unknown reasons. I guess the developers wanted to add powers to your character and this is the MacGuffin they decided on. Still, the powers he gives you are cool. More on that later.

The great thing about the game is that you can approach situations in many different ways. Possess an animal or human (if you level up) and walk past guards, fight your way through, or stealth you way through. You don’t have to kill a single person in the entire game. Or you can kill everything in sight. The game lets you know that if you kill too many people, however, you’ll get a “darker” ending.

The game really just wants you to play as non-lethally as possible. I tried to play stealthily at first, but by the later missions I had more fun letting loose and killing guards. The game, unfortunately, punishes you for that and you get a darker ending. (even the friendly boatman that ferry’s you around scolds you near the end!) I had a problem with this, because despite what they say, you really are meant to play it the way the developers wanted you to - stealthily.

So if you prefer the “shoot-em-up” style of games like I do, it’s not nearly as satisfying to mostly avoid contact.
    I’ve seen it written that if you play the game 3 times, you’ll be good enough to do the entire thing using non-lethal methods, but who has time to play the same game 3 times over when there are so many other great games out there?

I’ve saved my biggest problem with the game for last: The gameplay. The game has some great ideas. The problem is the execution (no pun intended). Sometimes I felt like an assassin, by so often I felt like a klutz. The game definitely has a learning curve to it.
    The problem is you have so many tools; you’re constantly juggling between them. “Dark Vision” is great, but it times out. (Unlike “detective mode” in Batman Arkham Asylum/City or tagging enemies in Far Cry 3)
    So you sit and wait for your opportunity to blink, or take out a guard some way, dark vision runs out, I have to switch back to that, turn it back on, then switch back to blink or a weapon and by then, my opportunity may have passed. I can only do one thing at a time and juggling between things, especially if I want to do them quickly, felt clunky.
    Taking on a lot of enemies at once is a quick way to get yourself killed. Enemies will all rush at you if you’re detected.
    In Assassins Creed, it was a much more fluid transition between skills and I really felt like a super hero. Ditto for Batman and Far Cry 3. In those games, even when I failed, I had the confidence I could go back and do it better, but in Dishonored I never perfected my stealthiness.
    In Dishonored I found myself accidently blinking into a sword fight when I forgot that blink was enabled instead of dark vision. It’s amusing that everyone in the swordfight was surprised it was happening, including me!

So overall, and in my humble opinion, it was a good game, but not a great game. 7/10
  92. Jul 29, 2013
    I dropped this game after 1 hour playing. The story was not appealing to me at all. Work as a guard of your wife? I wasn't fond of the artistic setting. The gameplay is nothing new. And it's definitely more linear than the games used to be in this genre.
  93. Dec 1, 2012
    its not the bomb as the gamesites/mags say and it doesnt suck as bad as the spoiled CoD kids say it is i dont wanna make a big write up because a)none pays me ^^ b)see for yourself
    The game is solid yet still a mixed bag , Visuals are cool (unless youre a spoiled CoD kid with a 4k PC) Game is very stable , i havent encountered any bugs ,glitches yet.
    Gameplay is a mixed bag .
  94. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. forgive my strange english, i'm a chinese.

I cost $30+5 buying this game and its DLC and i have spent 60h playing it so I think it worth my money. First, Dishonored has a comfortable control with keyboard and mouse, unlike other first person game this game's "jump" is awesome, at least you find you have arms and hands when climbing, seems not so cool in first person game before i played it, but when i fall from the light house and perform my leap of faith on an enemy i feel so cool!!! I can perform this simple move for 100 times. But the most wonderful thing in this game is its artistic designing, beautiful machinary and complex environment make Dunwall a interesting place for my jouney.

So i felt very disappointed when i reach the ending and I need more chapters. unlike other bethesda's game, dishonored is not so free as I thought, even it is free to complete your mission on different ways, but for a beautiful world its not enough. But maybe we ask to much because it's published by Bethesda. Just play dishonored as a linear game make me feel better but it should me more difficult as a linear game.

I played four rounds and try different ways to play this game. Yes its interesting, at the final round I play under hardest and no super power upgrade, no choke except 1 or 2 enemy, no kill and ghost (no detection) but it's still not so difficult to stealth, enemy's move is simple, not good. The story is somehow old-fashioned and easy to predict. But maybe I was overboard, I don't feel too bad about its story. My first round is low chaos and I feel nothing. My second round is high chaos and many details are different. not just environment, characters' dialogue and fates are changed. Emily's "how many people you kill tonight" and "I was going to have them killed anyway" in cold voice really make me feel bad. Samuel the boatman's final words also make me feel be utterly isolated. So I played the third round in low chaos to hear them.

I give it 8 because it can be better, its still far away from those true great game like skyrim and dark souls even bioshock if you agree it's a great game, the story need to be deeper and its system needs improvement to find a balance between difficulty and superpower. despite its story, the control and game system is worth playing. but if you just want to seek excitement, borrow it from your friends or get it when has a 50% discount
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    Casts you into a world full of ugly yet beautiful chaos. Combat is engaging and fun. Graphics are spot on, the hands are amazing. Seriously, the hands are so well done. The lack of diversity is what sort of turned me off though. I found myself blinking to a roof top and falling onto my opponent for a stealth kill. If no one was around I would choke them. Repetitive stealth moves andCasts you into a world full of ugly yet beautiful chaos. Combat is engaging and fun. Graphics are spot on, the hands are amazing. Seriously, the hands are so well done. The lack of diversity is what sort of turned me off though. I found myself blinking to a roof top and falling onto my opponent for a stealth kill. If no one was around I would choke them. Repetitive stealth moves and little satisfaction for assassinations makes this game hard to pick up after you leave off. Expand
  96. Feb 4, 2013
    Completed the game and enjoyed most of it. Its totally up to the player how he wants to complete the game. Playing e.g. bad (killing guards and innocents) will result in rat plagues and other stuff :X The graphic is not thaaat good but the game has its own style. The leveldesign and atmosphere is very good. Some powers are overpowered or not useful. There are more ways to kill rather toCompleted the game and enjoyed most of it. Its totally up to the player how he wants to complete the game. Playing e.g. bad (killing guards and innocents) will result in rat plagues and other stuff :X The graphic is not thaaat good but the game has its own style. The leveldesign and atmosphere is very good. Some powers are overpowered or not useful. There are more ways to kill rather to make your enemies unconscious(STRG all the time ^^). But still i liked the game. Expand
  97. Feb 10, 2013
    Look, I want to love this game. I really really do. The effort to create a believable and enchanting world is evident, and the attention to detail is everywhere you turn, but there are some basic elements that just destroy the experience for me so much so that I registered for Metacritic after years of using it just to write this review. The context of this review is that I finished theLook, I want to love this game. I really really do. The effort to create a believable and enchanting world is evident, and the attention to detail is everywhere you turn, but there are some basic elements that just destroy the experience for me so much so that I registered for Metacritic after years of using it just to write this review. The context of this review is that I finished the game once quite soon after release, immediately deleted it from my hard drive, and then attempted to give it a second go from scratch this week.

Out-dated graphics
    A misleading sense of free-will
    Little replay value With respect to the stylised intention of the game, the graphics are terribly outdated. While the visual style is imaginative and alternately colourful and cold where necessary, at its core it looks like I'm playing TF2 the textures are flat and lacking true detail, and the environments are often low-res. As stated, I understand that the intention is to create a more stylised, hand-drawn-style look, but you can do that and include detail at the same time. On a similar note, the character animations are ass the rigid and programmed nature of the facial and body movements take me out of the world and leave me feeling like I'm watching a game made before mo-cap existed.

The game gives you a choice of play-style and then punishes you for doing anything other than stealth ease of progression, achievements, and a positive conclusion to the story all hinge on you taking a stealthy tact. Corvo is fast, deft with a sword, and, for the most part, outfitted for combat you're given grenades, a pistol, and the ability to perform sweet counter-attacks and surprise assaults. HOWEVER, if you choose to utilise these weapons you're forced to deal with attacks from many enemies, a 'negative' outcome at the end of the story, and less achievements. I understand that there are real-world repercussions for being so brazen, but why give me the choice if you're going structure the game in such a way that the only real reward comes from one way of playing?

Finally, and in my mind, most heinously, is the fact that you can't replay earlier missions with the powers you've unlocked later you're forever stuck with the powers you had the first time you played the level, and are effectively, always handicapped. By the end of the game, Corvo is a super-soldier, and I don't see how you can overlook the fact that the single greatest part of RPG-style character building is reaching a point where you can cut through the enemies like warm butter. To allow me to craft my own super-soldier, to become familiar and efficient with him, and then shackle me to a certain diminishing skill level as I replay old missions just feels like a you'.

There are positive elements, to be sure a beautifully realised world, intelligent enemies, exciting combat, and lovely sound design among others, but I feel that I can't rate it any higher than 6 because it accurately reflects my disappointment at the fundamental boundaries that the designers have imposed on the player.
  98. Sep 12, 2014
    decent fun and some innovative game play. a pretty good stealth game for those who love to play that way. game generally plays well but seems to lack a little soul and depth. it was also way too short with too little actual content.
  99. Mar 14, 2013
    The game feels fresh and creative, but after one playthrough the replay value doesn't come around. The ending, at least the one I got, was abrupt and unrewarding. If you can play through very quickly as I did, you don't notice the repetition involved in achieving your objectives. I couldn't make it 2 hours through my second playthrough to get a different ending. Noting the achievementsThe game feels fresh and creative, but after one playthrough the replay value doesn't come around. The ending, at least the one I got, was abrupt and unrewarding. If you can play through very quickly as I did, you don't notice the repetition involved in achieving your objectives. I couldn't make it 2 hours through my second playthrough to get a different ending. Noting the achievements for not killing anyone or getting noticed, your player mechanics immediately go to waste. The swordplay is so intense and fun to use, but you feel chastised for using it due to certain story endings and passed-up achievements. I have the feeling they spent a bit too much on PR, and not enough on focus groups. It's worth a playthrough or two, but I wish I hadn't spent my hard-earned $60 on this one. Get it on steam sale, but other than that borrow it from a friend. Expand
  100. Jun 29, 2014
    Overall the game was fun and worth playing but my main problem with it is that it is too short. I beat the game in about 12 hours including my random, murderous rampages. DLC doesn't count there should have been more content in the original package.
  101. Oct 26, 2012

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]