8.3

1. Nov 4, 2012
    The main plus and the best thing in this game is the atmosphere/setting, this is what keeps you thrilled during your journey to Dunwall. Great visual style and locations/characters/machines design. As for the gameplay: I preferred do make it through in a stealthy way (because I wanted to have a nice ending!!), so I crawled at first but when I was bored I used the tranquilizer bolts toThe main plus and the best thing in this game is the atmosphere/setting, this is what keeps you thrilled during your journey to Dunwall. Great visual style and locations/characters/machines design. As for the gameplay: I preferred do make it through in a stealthy way (because I wanted to have a nice ending!!), so I crawled at first but when I was bored I used the tranquilizer bolts to neutralize the enemies or just used the "cheating" teleport to run away. At the beginning of the game it was all a bit chaotic. but later I got used to it and even got some fun. About the "Chaos system", which affects the ending - I don't like it, because it causes you not to use creative killings, bombs, mines, grenades, guns, rats, electricity...you name it! to get rid of the enemies because you just should not kill them if you want a good ending, and thats why you lose a lot of fun. In total the game is nice, and I'll repeat myself, mostly because of the Atmosphere. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    this game is solid,interesting and fun.bethesda has done a great job(again).the gameplay is good and fun.the graphics are good.the sthealth is very good.this game is the best game of 2012.
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    I'm more a shooty FPS guy, but I was intrigued by the high scoring reviews and memories of playing Thief all those years ago. Dishonored isn't vastly different from its ancestor 'Thief', you are given a goal to accomplish, some tools and a map populated by guards and zombies. You're then left alone to figure out your own way in and out and in your own time.

The graphics aren't

The graphics aren't brilliant, its the relatively old Unreal engine reworked, but the gameplay can be fun as you try to get inventive getting past guards. You can hack your way in and out, but the levels get tougher security if you do so it rewards sneaking. You end up playing like a combination Thief and Batman, staying high on buildings and dropping down to knock out guards as chance permits.

The maps are not large, but they are stiched together to make long levels with loads at certain doors. With the multiple routes and tactics available to you, plus the time it takes to clamber around, you get a lot of gameplay time and high replay value. Its a diverting and quite challenging game, if not inventive or good looking.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored is an incredibly original game which brings up the fight or flight instinct that you have. I would have given this amazing title a 10 but the ending felt a little sudden.
  5. Nov 9, 2012
    Who likes stealth games, they will probably enjoy Dishonored! . What the game gets right is the gameplay. I was having fun killing enemies silently with a sharp blade and a crossbow. The power of teletransportation works well, but sometimes gives annoyances. The upgrades of weapons and powers are included and placed perfectly. Graphics artistically are phenomenal in Dishonored, and theWho likes stealth games, they will probably enjoy Dishonored! . What the game gets right is the gameplay. I was having fun killing enemies silently with a sharp blade and a crossbow. The power of teletransportation works well, but sometimes gives annoyances. The upgrades of weapons and powers are included and placed perfectly. Graphics artistically are phenomenal in Dishonored, and the characters are interesting. What about the story? Was It any good? Well, It was mediocre. It has some intense moments, but It is predictable. Despite of the mediocre story, Dishonored doesn't disappoint with the gameplay. Worth playing. (9.0) Expand
  6. Dec 11, 2012
    This game really impressed me, I read the reviews saying how good it is, but I had to check it myself. And it was worth it, this is a great game! Great gameplay mechanics, great memorable characters and a good story.
    It has its flaws of course, I found it frustrating that some levels didn't let you use the powers as you wish, for example, "blink", you can't use it on all roofs (even if they are very close to you), making you adopt other paths. The graphics aren't amazing, but they are decent and its part of the game's own style.
    I think there will be a sequel, and I'm certainly looking forward to it.
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    This was a highly enjoyable game, i have finished it a couple times and I am considering starting up a new one. The player abilities and gear allows you to play the game multiple ways with different results.
  8. Dec 24, 2012
    A little jewel this one. Beautiful atmosphere and setting. Story takes a couple of twist and turns, nothing to fancy, but it definitely isn't bad. Graphics are a bit outdated, but if you ask me, it only adds to the scenery and world of Dishonored. I found the combat enjoyable and all the different kind of spells you can utilize really add something to the game. Whether you want to sneakA little jewel this one. Beautiful atmosphere and setting. Story takes a couple of twist and turns, nothing to fancy, but it definitely isn't bad. Graphics are a bit outdated, but if you ask me, it only adds to the scenery and world of Dishonored. I found the combat enjoyable and all the different kind of spells you can utilize really add something to the game. Whether you want to sneak around, undetected or just run in and slaughter everybody, everything is possible. The only thing this game is missing is more of a sandbox mode, as now you are pretty tied to whatever zone your current mission throws you in. Nonetheless, I really had a good time playing this game and I hope they make some sort of sequel, as the entire world does have some potential in my opinion. Expand
  9. Feb 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. I played through it right through again right after I finished it. If you like stealth-espionage games, this one follows in those footsteps pretty well and I recommend it. The gameplay is challenging, engaging and tactical and the world is interesting and has it's own character. The graphics aren't top notch but the game is attractive and immersing enough thatI really enjoyed this game. I played through it right through again right after I finished it. If you like stealth-espionage games, this one follows in those footsteps pretty well and I recommend it. The gameplay is challenging, engaging and tactical and the world is interesting and has it's own character. The graphics aren't top notch but the game is attractive and immersing enough that it held my attention. And the level design I'd have to say this is about the best level design I've seen in a while kudos to the level designers. I do, of course, have a few minor nits. The narrative is not all that great. Not that the plot and the story is bad, I just found the dialogue and the characters to be on the bland side. That and I wish that Corvo was actually a character with dialogue of his own. To me it felt like there was a missing component to the game in that he was silent. The gameplay, while quite engaging, didn't really feel especially groundbreaking. If you've played thief and deus ex, the gameplay will feel very very familiar. Having said that, if you're stepping up to a stealth-espionage game, you know ahead of time that you're picking up a thief-deus ex progeny so what the hell. Anyways, the magic, especially blink, makes a nice little twist in the gameplay that's fun and interesting without feeling excessively overpowered. I know alot of people think it is, but to that I say: how many times when you used it were you not thinking about your situation and using timing to use it properly? Kinda the point of the game??? Despite the familiar feeling of the gameplay it is a refinement over older instalments, though I hope the next stealth-espionage game I play feels fresher. Expand
  10. May 18, 2013
    I'm a fan of the first Deus Ex, I still remember nights spent thrilled by the plot of illuminatis, templars and men in black, picking up phones with exquisite entities on the other side, finding easter eggs, this kind of thing.
    Sadly there is an utter lack of games like Deus Ex, games that feel like you are reading a book, games that present you with a coherent and thrilling story and an innovative game play at the same time.
    Dishonored offers this, not with all the glory and deepness possible, but it offers a plot, dialogues and a different combat system. Indeed it is repetitive one time or the other, or it presents you with a forced and non-sense way, but overall is enjoyable.
    Also the design was great and they were very successful in creating a british victorian inspired world.
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    Dishonored .... what an awesome game it's like a combination of Bioshock and AC3 making this into a FPS in a strange world of magic and chaos. It also has that Deus ex stealth experience or you just can kill everybody that comes in your way.
  12. Feb 4, 2013
    Dishonored is a blast to play. It's not your topical stealth game; it's an unique stealth game, that succeeds with it's gameplay. Having many unique options to kill an enemy, stealthy or detectable, is remarkable, by using some magical powers. And the open-world environments are entertaining to explore However, the story is dull, the characters are forgettable and the game is short.Dishonored is a blast to play. It's not your topical stealth game; it's an unique stealth game, that succeeds with it's gameplay. Having many unique options to kill an enemy, stealthy or detectable, is remarkable, by using some magical powers. And the open-world environments are entertaining to explore However, the story is dull, the characters are forgettable and the game is short. Dishonored is a great game, but far from perfect. Expand
  13. Feb 5, 2013
    Its between Dishonored and Far Cry 3 for game of 2012. Dishonored had such a unique theme, level design and it was a great take on a genetically modified Victorian England. There were so many ways/routes to complete a mission and traverse the streets and buildings. This sense of freedom really appealed to me. Never did I feel stuck in a 'corridor shooter'. The runes/powerups were similarIts between Dishonored and Far Cry 3 for game of 2012. Dishonored had such a unique theme, level design and it was a great take on a genetically modified Victorian England. There were so many ways/routes to complete a mission and traverse the streets and buildings. This sense of freedom really appealed to me. Never did I feel stuck in a 'corridor shooter'. The runes/powerups were similar to the plasmids of Bioshock however they all had their own feel and were interesting to combine and upgrade. I loved Dishonored and when I have time will play through again. 9/10 Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    Dishonored stands out against the current crop of games with a very high level of polish, accessibility and atmosphere. Its one of the few games that upon completion I've immediately begun to consider replaying with a different style. Its not however great at everything it does. If like me you experienced the tension of sneaking around castles in the original thief games then Dishonored'sDishonored stands out against the current crop of games with a very high level of polish, accessibility and atmosphere. Its one of the few games that upon completion I've immediately begun to consider replaying with a different style. Its not however great at everything it does. If like me you experienced the tension of sneaking around castles in the original thief games then Dishonored's stealth is not going to impress as its far too simplistic and not remotely convincing.

Dishonored is a relatively linear FPS with options. To describe it as an RPG or in any way open or infinite would be wrong. That said, its solid entertainment, good story and set in a beautifully visualized environment.
  15. Feb 13, 2013
    A lot of effort was spent in creating the art for the game as the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool looking. A lot of the visuals seem reminiscent of watercolor paintings which I thought was unique. The game mechanics are geared for and indeed rewarded the use of stealth and non-violent resolutions to game situations. What you do throughout the game affects the rest of the gameA lot of effort was spent in creating the art for the game as the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool looking. A lot of the visuals seem reminiscent of watercolor paintings which I thought was unique. The game mechanics are geared for and indeed rewarded the use of stealth and non-violent resolutions to game situations. What you do throughout the game affects the rest of the game in a *mostly* common-sense way changing the overall game "chaos," e.g.: more kills causes more guards to appear later in the game. The sword fighting mechanics are okay, not great, but are irrelevant if your goal is to use stealth to achieve the Ghost/Shadow achievements. The special abilities were pretty neat and some even demoniacally fun such as the possession ability. The game also includes some "mini-games" such as finding objects to enhance your abilities, although I found that most of the bone charms were pretty irrelevant to game play. Every level has several ways to achieve goals both violent and non-violently.

I am a big fan of stealth shooters such as the original Deus Ex and Deus Ex Human Revolution. Also, I think games like Far Cry 2 Max Payne 3 are too repetitious and boring. I never found Dishonored boring in this manner and I thought that the game length was a good match for the uniqueness of the game content. I'm the kind of person who likes taking some time finding the stealthy way through so this game appealed to me.
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    This game has all the best features of bio shock and assassins creed. my only wish was if the campaign had a better ending and maybe a more interactive story
  17. Mar 16, 2014
    Just finished playing GOTY edition of the game and it was great, I don't have much to complain about. You can try either a stealth or more hands on approach (lethal or non-lethal) and it works both ways. The game leaves it up to you to find many creative ways of neutralizing enemies and it affects how it all ends. Story is nothing new really just your typically save the day lazy story thatJust finished playing GOTY edition of the game and it was great, I don't have much to complain about. You can try either a stealth or more hands on approach (lethal or non-lethal) and it works both ways. The game leaves it up to you to find many creative ways of neutralizing enemies and it affects how it all ends. Story is nothing new really just your typically save the day lazy story that you find everywhere but it works I suppose. The 2 story DLC's are also very good. Expand
  18. Oct 13, 2012
    Im brand new to pc gaming and this first story game for pc and i enjoyed this game ..... only downside in my opinion is the length i would have like it a bit longer.
  19. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored contains very different experiences based on how you play it, so let me prefix this review with my setup: fully non-lethal; mostly unspotted but lots of take-downs; no UI; much exploration and side questing; difficulty 'hard' (fourth out of five). I completed the game in about 19 hours. | And those were some truly enjoyable hours, since Dishonored gets most of the core stealthDishonored contains very different experiences based on how you play it, so let me prefix this review with my setup: fully non-lethal; mostly unspotted but lots of take-downs; no UI; much exploration and side questing; difficulty 'hard' (fourth out of five). I completed the game in about 19 hours. | And those were some truly enjoyable hours, since Dishonored gets most of the core stealth gameplay right. It implements a solid formula -- cover/line of sight/patrol based sneaking -- but mostly ignores shadow and sound. In my opinion that's for the better, since line of sight is a mechanic that is intuitively understandable and therefore predictable, which gave the game a certain puzzle aspect and made me recognise my failures as indeed _my_ failures, not failures of the game's systems. When I was discovered, I usually knew what to do in order not to screw up the next time -- which doesn't mean that I actually managed to do it, since Dishonored is not afraid of throwing some good challenges in the non-lethal player's way. | What makes the stealth gameplay stand out, though, is the level design combined with the awesome Blink power, a short-range teleport that only costs Mana when executed in rapid succession. This seemingly small addition allows players to exploit vertical movement to a great degree, which is enough to set Dishonored apart from its conceptual brethren. It enables the player to move between cover, reach vantage points or quickly exploit tiny holes in a patrol route. In more open areas, getting onto the rooftops gives an opportunity to scout and plan the next steps. | The other big thing about the level design, making it by far the most compelling aspect of the game, is that it literally always provides multiple ways to approach an objective. On the large scale, all 'assassinations' can be achieved without actually killing the target, with the non-lethal options being interesting and fitting into the story quite nicely. Expose someone's immoral behaviour and that person no longer plays a role in politics; let a lover take his beloved to a foreign country far away. However, the binary nature of things -- there's always exactly one non-lethal approach -- certainly gets repetitive, and I would have loved to see a wider variety of possibilities. Additionally, some of the non-lethal options could require a bit more thinking on the player's part: taking the pacifist route more often than not doesn't feel like a witty accomplishment but rather like the completion of a slightly more complex quest, leaving barely any room for the player's own imagination. | The design also shines when it comes to providing multiple routes through the level. While the approaches mostly boil down to a few recipes, some of their applications are genuinely surprising. More importantly, there are always plenty different ways through a level, all with advantages and disadvantages, and finding an alternative route when you thought that there was clearly only the one you took in the first place is rewarding in and of itself. | Unfortunately, the few recipes issue also applies to low-level combat, where the non-lethal ways seem too repetitive compared to what lethal approaches offer. To incapacitate an enemy, you can basically sneak up to them or use a sleep dart, which is uninteresting compared to the array of lethal possibilities that have been demonstrated a lot in the trailers. The AI also does little to make stealth more engaging -- enemies are a little more intelligent than in most games, but still fairly dumb. | As far as story is concerned, there isn't a whole lot to the game, and it makes me sad that Arkane put together an intriguing setting only to fill it with forgettable characters. The voice acting and dialogue is generally decent, but there's just no way a game could tell an interesting story via the very short gatherings between missions. | However, the missions themselves provide ample background and lore that let the city of Dunwall become a more living place than most locations I have visited in games. There's a large amount of detail hidden in every level, revealing tiny parts of stories about totally unrelated characters that still manage to form a bigger picture. The diary of a man who describes in dry words how he watches his children die from the plague one by one; some guards' chatter as they throw plague victims onto a heap of corpses; the nobility's habit to steal valuables from each other. Dishonored is clearly a game for explorers -- people who explore for the sake of knowledge and impressions, not tangible benefits. | All in all, Dishonored is a great stealth game with an extraordinary focus on indirect storytelling, and many of my criticisms mostly boil down to 'I want more': more combat options, story, mission diversity, time with the game. Considering my slow motion approach, 19 hours is not exactly huge. Still, what the game offers is rock-solid and at times brilliant. Expand
  20. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  21. Oct 17, 2012
    kind of really really really buggy.

just a quick warning to you PC lot. if you have an AIT card, have fun fixing the pile of bugs. if you brought it on steam, have fun. if the game crashes outdated could save files will overwrite you newer local save files and if you own this game on any other two formats, have fun, as, its actually a really really really good game. buggy as a
    kind of really really really buggy.

just a quick warning to you PC lot.

if you have an AIT card, have fun fixing the pile of bugs.

and if you own this game on any other two formats, have fun, as, its actually a really really really good game. buggy as a bethesda title (oh wait, it is a bethesda title :P ) but still has some good soul. hopefuly when its fixed i can enjoy it in all its glory, but for now, ATi and steam users beware.

as for an actual review, i may update this, if not, just check the date of my review. if its more than 1 month old, its probarbly fixed, my reveiw is invalid and should be reported for spam, removed and my bias annoying comments purged, as this review is based on the day 1 release game, not a (hopefuly) patched on (BUT ONLY FLAG IT AS SPAM WHEN ITS BEEN A MONTH!!!!)
  22. Oct 27, 2012
    Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging.Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging. Had to reload a lot of times to get it perfect, but it was worth it. ...many creative / unique moments. Recommended for everybody, who loves stealthy FPS games, utopistic / apocalyptic fantasy worlds and losing him/herself into another world. :) 9/10 Expand
  23. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just aboutProbably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  24. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing game, marred by some TINY flaws. First of all, the game's video and audio are fantastic. Although the graphics leave something to be desired, the art style makes up for it and makes the world feel alive and unique. The sound effects are great, and the music is extremely immersible and sets the mood of many locations and levels extremely well.

The gameplay is absolutely

The gameplay is absolutely brilliant. Controls are responsive and won't make you feel sluggish. The abilities and weapons in the game, although relatively lacking in variety, are just enough to make you feel powerful. On the "parkour" side of the game, the mechanics are extremely well made, and also fairly simple, although blinking onto ledges is sometimes strangely annoying. Exploring the various routes to an objective and exploring the levels to find hidden items is fun and rewarding. Combat and stealth is extremely satisfying, with weapons that feel like they have weight and power, and stealth mechanics that, although quite simple, is still extremely fun. The world is filled with books and "audiograph" machines, which helps bring the immersion to another level. NPCs will continuously talk to each and often reveal information about the game-world and also about your objectives.

On the story-side of things, although the game is fairly lean on story-telling, the story still comes from very well. The characters also gain much more depth when you talk to them directly, and also when you use the heart to discover more about them. Although I'd rather have had a longer ending instead of just a short cinematic, at the end of it all, you feel like you've truly accomplished something. The game also doesn't explain some of the other questions raised as well. What exactly was the heart? Who, or what, was the Outsider. Why the hell is Granny Rags so strange? What happens to many of the characters and targets that aren't shown in the ending? The ending, although satisfying, feels rushed.

Overall, it was a extremely satisfying and immersible experience. The only flaws were some of the things that I mentioned, and also the fact that the levels are relatively linear, but they still feel open with lots space to play your way. If you want a quality game with great immersion and gameplay, this is it.
  25. Dec 21, 2012
    The best stealth game ever!
    I'll explain why: The world is so dark and refined, the story is strong, the graphics are just awesome the controls are solid it has an unique game play!
    Its possibly one of the best (or maybe the best ) games in 2012.
    If you haven't played it yet you should quickly! Because I'll follow you home, and KILL YOU!
    Nah just kidding but seriously...PLAY IT! NOW!
  26. Oct 30, 2012
    Dishonored has its drawback, but they still do not mean anything because disappear in the vast sea of advantages.Almost every level gives you several ways to solve the problem + unconventional use of Corvo's power = Dishonored is a very individual and great game.
  27. Nov 12, 2012
    As an old Thief fan, I must say I expected this game for quite a long time. Of course, it can be played as a 1st person shooter, but it loses half it's glamor. Sneak , sneak , sneak and try not to kill anyone !! Really challenging and the spells variety gave an extra plus. The graphics and art were really atmospheric and well designed. Could do with a little better AI, though. LookingAs an old Thief fan, I must say I expected this game for quite a long time. Of course, it can be played as a 1st person shooter, but it loses half it's glamor. Sneak , sneak , sneak and try not to kill anyone !! Really challenging and the spells variety gave an extra plus. The graphics and art were really atmospheric and well designed. Could do with a little better AI, though. Looking forward to a decent sequel ! Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2013
    There aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with theThere aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with the Ghost (not detected) achievement and not kills for the entire game more than makes up for it. Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2012
    Despite my rig being below the minimum specs of the game, I nonetheless bought it on steam, and loaded it up. After tweaking the graphics so it could run on my PC with a good FPS, I jumped right into the campaign, and was so involved in it that I beat it in one sitting. The story was creative, with different twists and turns. But the most impressive feature was how in-control you felt theDespite my rig being below the minimum specs of the game, I nonetheless bought it on steam, and loaded it up. After tweaking the graphics so it could run on my PC with a good FPS, I jumped right into the campaign, and was so involved in it that I beat it in one sitting. The story was creative, with different twists and turns. But the most impressive feature was how in-control you felt the entire time. You could take down that guard however you wanted. Want to rush in and engage him? Go ahead. Want to silently sneak and assassinate him? No problem. Want to hit him with a sleep dart from afar? The game won't stop you. Want to freeze time and just walk right past him? Yep, you can do it. And unlike other stealth games, it feels balanced. So you are not completely underpowered and can only take a sword swing before dying, instead, you could hold your own easily against a number of opponents. Every choice you make affects how characters react to you, and affect the total outcome. After beating the game with an evil ending, I truly felt as if I HAD to go back and complete it with a non-lethal ending. I'm a long-time fan of Bioshock, so had no problem jumping into the radial-wheel, dual weapons formula. The controls are easy to grasp, and by the first level you are already killing like a true assassin. I have no idea where the negative reviews are coming from. Dishonored reached my expectations and more. My only regret is the length of the Campaign. I'm not personally into the "bone or rune" hunting aspect of the game, so after I beat the campaign on all endings in about a day, there was nothing to do. Hopefully the new DLC will fix that. Overall, Dishonored is a great, innovative game and is like a well needed breath of fresh air before the big names come out to play later in November. If you are looking for a game to play till Halo 4/Assassin's Creed 3, this is it. Expand
  30. Feb 3, 2013
    So I have just completed the game again, but this time in a stealthy tactical way and the ending was totally different and defintly a lot more enjoyable, I would still recommend this game to anyone
  31. Feb 7, 2013
    This game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for itThis game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for it or watch a spoiler (I suggest you don't). If your someone looking for some single player excitement then this is the right game for you. Expand
  32. Jan 24, 2013
    It's a quite good game, better to say great game. Very dynamical, interesting and good-styled. There is only one minus very poor amount of skills and monotonicity that makes the game a little bit boring by the end.
  33. Oct 15, 2012
    The word to describe this game would be creative. The developers forces you to be smart and create criative ways to complete your object. The action of the game is unique and inspiring, there are many possibilites and really funny ways to play. The graphics are not the best and not even great, maybe they can be considered as good, but it won't interfier your gameplay, besides, theThe word to describe this game would be creative. The developers forces you to be smart and create criative ways to complete your object. The action of the game is unique and inspiring, there are many possibilites and really funny ways to play. The graphics are not the best and not even great, maybe they can be considered as good, but it won't interfier your gameplay, besides, the enviroment is magnific.. I would like to give it an 8.5 but I don't have this option and a 9 sounds too much. The worst thing about the game is that it's not that big, I would consider it as a medium size game, bigger that many, but small compared to what could have been. Expand
  34. Oct 28, 2012
    Just completed first playthrough and was entertained. It certainly is no 'Thief', but I enjoyed it for what it is and not what it is not. Will definitely replay again soon. Congratulations to Arkane!
  35. Oct 30, 2012
    Imagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. TheImagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. The steampunk-esque world Corvo inhabits is brilliantly put together and constantly demands your attention. Books fill you in on quite substantial amounts of genuinely interesting background story, while conversations pertaining to the world around you are quite often overheard.

Moving on, Dishonored's art style is incredible. The art director for the game won a BAFTA for outstanding art direction, and it shows. It looks as if Bioshock Infinite met Deus Ex and decided to have a baby, and then that baby then copulated with Half Life's City 17. It's superb.

I liked the graphics. A lot of people are saying that the graphics look "outdated" - first of all, that is untrue. The graphics are reasonably good for a 2012 title - the game uses the Unreal engine - but the fact that the graphics aren't outstandingly good is countered by the extraordinary artistic design. The game looks like an oil painting. (Practically every texture is hand painted) The lighting is sublime, and the fact that every location, from the grimy corpse ridden streets to the massive steel fortresses to the insides of the regal Victorian era houses, looks so beautifully hand crafted is enough to make this game one of the best looking games of the year. But what really shines above all is the level design. If you've heard that finding alternate pathways in this game is a bit like DX:HR then you'd be completely incorrect. The game doesn't just provide you with a series of vents; it provides you with practically endless alternatives. Every one of the 9 levels is basically a sandbox, so exploring them is fun and rewarding.

The problem with games nowadays is that developers want gamers to see everything they've made, providing you with few, if any, alternate pathways to completing a mission. With Dishonored, it's as if the developers didn't really care about you seeing anything they'd made - every time I went through a mission I'd find a completely different path, even if I was certain I'd found every nook and cranny there was to be found in my first play through.

The gameplay is phenomenal. Corvo moves in a remarkably smooth manner, and every action, from stabbing someone through the throat to jumping down from a rooftop, sliding underneath a table and climbing a building feel almost real. The combat is superlative. Crossing swords (haha), slashing someone's leg off, and countering a guard with a quick stab to the face feels not only incredibly rewarding, but very realistic as well. I think the diversity in the gameplay - you can go through the entire game without killing anyone - a true and much needed breath of fresh air.

To conclude, not only do I think this work of unbelievable genius is the best game of the year, I think it's one of the best games of the decade. Aside from everything I've written above, the one thing that Dishonored has that makes it a step up from any other competition is the fact that it is an absolute joy to play. If you're looking for a game that is incredible amounts of fun, as well as interesting and prodigiously well made, look no further than Dishonored.
  36. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a big fan of stealth, hide-n-sneek, strategic type of games I was personally looking forward to this game. So rather not waste time and let's start the review(I'll try to keep spoilers to the absolute minimum).
    +Game art, graphics, style are genuine and awesome!
    +Weapons are a handful, ranging from sneak up behind and slid-a-throat type knifes to take-out-on-range types crossbows and pistol! Couple of grenades, and deployables come in handy as well!
    +Smart improvisation of magical powers, will make you _want_ to use them at your advantage as much as possible, and it's super-fun!
    +Almost as high as 12-15 different ways of killing/assassinating a single enemy, which will make you replay a mission uniquely every time.
    +Story-wise, I won't comment so you'll _HAVE TO_ play it!
    +Decent bit of unlockable items such as runes for powers, whale bones, upgrades to your knife, mask etc! Books, etc etc etc. decent amount of replayability and fun right there, again!
    -Uses a tremendous amount of CPU resources, so if your PC isn't moderately powerful, forget about it!
    -More than 5-6 hours of continuous playing will make the story a bit more predictable and missions a bit repetitive, kinda like Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell-ish, but that's that. I mean it's a stealth game and it's not the 1st one out there, so you can't go out and draw comparisons between Dishonored and Assassin's Creed or any other game for that matter.

Over-all, the game is great, it's fun and it's fairly replayable, so forget the haters(lol) and buy it and play it and get on assassinating them bad boys ;) !!!
  37. Dec 21, 2012
    Stalker Mage's Dream. I myself having fun being stalker in various game. I also happy to become mage too. But never i can be both in any game as they never blend stalker and mage together perfectly. Until this game, Dishonered, the game that made my dream come true. This is a Stalker Mage Dream. Must play.
  38. Nov 14, 2012
    It's a shame really, Dishonored is not bad. And merely not bad. The stealth "system" is sadly not a patch on the ancient Thief games and the selection of weapons is quite good but not really anything new. The steampunk setting and artistic style is interesting but plotwise there were no surprises. I am intrigued to play it a second time to find all the secrets but sadly this game didn'tIt's a shame really, Dishonored is not bad. And merely not bad. The stealth "system" is sadly not a patch on the ancient Thief games and the selection of weapons is quite good but not really anything new. The steampunk setting and artistic style is interesting but plotwise there were no surprises. I am intrigued to play it a second time to find all the secrets but sadly this game didn't live up to the hype. Close but no cigar. Had they made light make more of a difference in stealth I might have really enjoyed this. Expand
  39. Nov 13, 2012
    For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink'For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink' ability but they were few and far between and didn't tarnish my enjoyable experience. Thoroughly worth spending a few of your hard earned pennies on Expand
  40. Oct 24, 2012
    I was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, althoughI was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, although a little washed out looking. But when they tell you you will not be seen while leaning, it's a lie. Because I did so many times. Of course it has its kinks and its bugs, but what game doesn't? Whether Bethesda decides to make a sequel to this or leave it as a stand-alone game, I will be happy either way. I can't wait for the DLC! Expand
  41. Oct 21, 2012
    Before I start, let me just say Dishonored may very well be my vote for Game of the Year. First of all, the game is quite simply beautiful, even though texture resolution may be a bit low in places. The art style is just that good. Furthermore, the levels are all beautifully fleshed out and almost flawlessly convey the game's rather horrifying mood. The levels are also wonderful from aBefore I start, let me just say Dishonored may very well be my vote for Game of the Year. First of all, the game is quite simply beautiful, even though texture resolution may be a bit low in places. The art style is just that good. Furthermore, the levels are all beautifully fleshed out and almost flawlessly convey the game's rather horrifying mood. The levels are also wonderful from a gameplay perspective: there are multiple ways to accomplish all objectives, and almost all of them feel natural and balanced. The game world will also react in many ways to your actions; this can range from changes in each character's story arc to simple changes in notes and wanted posters. I'd like a little more of the former and less of the latter, but that's something a lot of games struggle with and Dishonored does it better than most. A couple of the levels also drag on a bit, and as a whole you can blow through the game in a handful of hours if you want to. But if you do, you're really doing yourself a disservice. And like most stealth games, the AI can seem blind, stupid, and melodramatic at times, even on the maximum difficulty. But all in all, I really wish there were more games that were trying to do what Dishonored tries. It's not quite perfect in many respects, but the developers deserve huge success for making such a beautiful and multi-faceted game, and getting the majority of it right. Expand
  42. Oct 29, 2012
    Dishonored = "Thief" remade, and I am so glad to see it back in this way. It has that same "Steampunk" look and feel, the sneaking around everywhere, the various arrow types for the crossbow, eye zoom, pickpocket and item-theft, place-able mines, silent kill/knockouts, even the sounds and music - it's all there. Certain guard NPC types even remind me of the "Hammerites". This is a veryDishonored = "Thief" remade, and I am so glad to see it back in this way. It has that same "Steampunk" look and feel, the sneaking around everywhere, the various arrow types for the crossbow, eye zoom, pickpocket and item-theft, place-able mines, silent kill/knockouts, even the sounds and music - it's all there. Certain guard NPC types even remind me of the "Hammerites". This is a very well-executed game. I noticed zero technical issues. The game gives the player a sense of being on his own with few boundaries to contend with. Linear play is noticeable, to a degree, but not so much so that it detracts from the fun and interest. When I'm in game, I am consumed with the experience and I cannot say that about many games. What a splendid break from all the run-n-gun, bust-in-and-blow-everyone's-face-off type games. There is some thinking to do here if you want to get past that guard point unnoticed. You'll need to move that body out of the way, and quickly, unless you'd like to attract more heat than you can handle. Very good. One man shouldn't be able to take on more than two others, and yet even Dishonored will forgive you, to an extent, if you try. I'm glad I bought this game. But, ah, I will say this: I'm giving it a 9 instead of 10 because I don't like to be penalized for killing. In Dishonored, if you choose to kill your way through, you'll have to deal with more of the carnivorous rats, than if you had chosen to merely knock people unconscious (and by choking???.... that takes more than 2 seconds). Minor annoyance I suppose. The game is still a fabulous work, to me anyway. I'd definitely buy a Part II. Expand
  43. Nov 20, 2012
    This game didn't made to the tops for many reasons but it deserves to be in your library.
  44. Dec 22, 2012
    Now lets get one thing straight, this game is not perfect, it is not a 10/10 and does have some flaws however, Everyone who is giving this game silly low scores obviously haven't played any games in the last 2 years or even longer since nothing has really been released that is as engaging or rich than Dishonored.

I'll start off with the Graphics, sure, they are not the highest end

I'll start off with the Graphics, sure, they are not the highest end graphics, but that's not a bad thing, It means it runs fine even on laptops, besides, the artwork and design is so good, the atmosphere really takes hold which brings me nicely to the sound and noise of this game, Bone charms have "songs" and everything makes some kind of noise all of which, are usually very UN-nerving, creepy almost, in sound, this adds a lot to the atmosphere, for the people saying the atmosphere was rubbish, are you using £1.99 speakers? or iPod headphones?

Now to the story, I like the way it has been told, Most games kind of just plonk you in the game and explain itself all at the start so you play through a part of it, In dishonored, you kind of have to explorer different paths, listen to conversations between NPC's and read the books, notes and simply listen to everything to get the full story, it makes a change compared to the usual way games tend to tell a story and for that, Dishonored should be given some kind of award for trying something new in a recession.

Now the actual game play and powers, the Assassin skills have been done before admit-ably, but in Dishonored, I don't have to go through some silly button bashing or "press-this-sequence-of-buttons-to-do-a-cool-melee-move" its just a simple matter of good timing and returning enemy blows. I like this as it makes it far more engaging to fight and the enemy are quick to fight back.

The game rarely challenges the player due to the powers making it easier than normal to go through the world but I think that's the point, if you use no powers at all, damn it's difficult!

Anyway bottom line is, sure, it has issues, but when compared to the competition in the last 2-3 years, its absolutely brilliant.
  45. Oct 1, 2013
    Dishonored is the best stealth-game available. It also have a very cool steam-punk setting and nice rpg-elements.The story is ok, but the missions the story provide a backdrop for are excellent.
  46. Nov 8, 2012
    A game that is absolutely wonderful and quite long if played stealthy and possibly without killing anyone, but also rather frustrating, since while the developers pushed for a stealth approach, actual stealth mechanics are stripped to a few options, compared to the wide range of powers and gadgets aiming towards direct assaults or killing galore. The graphics are fantastic: sure they'reA game that is absolutely wonderful and quite long if played stealthy and possibly without killing anyone, but also rather frustrating, since while the developers pushed for a stealth approach, actual stealth mechanics are stripped to a few options, compared to the wide range of powers and gadgets aiming towards direct assaults or killing galore. The graphics are fantastic: sure they're not hyper-realistic, but they have a very personal style, which makes it way more fascinating than the usually dull AAA 3D. The story is ok: predictable but nice, though it lacks some emotional power. Expand
  47. Dec 20, 2012
    Fantastic game, game of the year. Loads of options on how to approach each level and some awesome spells and abilities an real immersive game world with great characters.
  48. Nov 29, 2012
    Dishonored is great in a lot of ways, but mediocre in a few. It has an excellent setting and level design, and there are many ways to accomplish objectives, whether by sneaking over rooftops, disabling alarm systems or just brute forcing your way though. That said, the enemy AI is pretty bad and stealth is rather simplistic, depending mainly on line of sight, not light level. The storyDishonored is great in a lot of ways, but mediocre in a few. It has an excellent setting and level design, and there are many ways to accomplish objectives, whether by sneaking over rooftops, disabling alarm systems or just brute forcing your way though. That said, the enemy AI is pretty bad and stealth is rather simplistic, depending mainly on line of sight, not light level. The story is just... eh. I never really hated any of the antagonists, even in the last few missions, but maybe that's the point. I had heard a playthrough is pretty short, but if you explore or enjoy the stealth aspect you can expect about 15 hours. Expand
  49. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is great. It's a tonne of fun and I recommend it to anyone who likes stealth games. The only problem I have with this game is that killing everyone and your targets gets you a bad ending and doing everything the non lethal way gets you a good ending. This would be fine if the game didn't seem to be so tailored to you killing people. While there's a million different way to killThis game is great. It's a tonne of fun and I recommend it to anyone who likes stealth games. The only problem I have with this game is that killing everyone and your targets gets you a bad ending and doing everything the non lethal way gets you a good ending. This would be fine if the game didn't seem to be so tailored to you killing people. While there's a million different way to kill targets (And it's probably not lot more fun if you get creative) there's only a couple of ways to non-lethally dispatch enemies, sleep darts and choking them, rendering most powers and upgrades almost useless. This doesn't stop the game from being hella fun though, so buy it. Expand
  50. Nov 27, 2012
    As a Thief fan, I will honestly say that I was slightly disappointed by Dishonored. First of all, let me say that Dishonored's visual aesthetics and world design is astounding; the city of Dunwall feels like a real place and a lot of effort has gone into its history. The gameplay itself is a mixed bag: the powers are generally quite useful and never feel unnecessary (except for theAs a Thief fan, I will honestly say that I was slightly disappointed by Dishonored. First of all, let me say that Dishonored's visual aesthetics and world design is astounding; the city of Dunwall feels like a real place and a lot of effort has gone into its history. The gameplay itself is a mixed bag: the powers are generally quite useful and never feel unnecessary (except for the possibly game breaking Dark Vision), the sword combat is challenging although unsophisticated and movement is smooth and intuitive, but I don't feel they make the most of the rooftops through use of blink and the levels in general feel somewhat restrictive compared to Thief. Despite some good uses of environmental & emergent storytelling, the actual plot is fairly poor in Dishonored. The plot is predictable and the silent protagonist actually cripples the storytelling and characterisation; with characters all having great visual design, but mostly bland personalities. Technically, the game is quite a good port; with a good amount of customisation and an FOV slider, plus the option to disable smoothing. Overall though, Dishonored is a bold attempt to mix stealth and action with some great mechinics and setting, but it's let down by a lack of depth in the story or characters, some AI issues and the limitations of both the levels and the powers available. Still well worth a purchase, and an excellent introduction to stealth games. Expand
  51. Nov 11, 2012
    Aun me queda la ultima mision pero este juego es una de las mayores sorpresas del año
    Es desafiante, divertido y esta lleno de posibilidades.
    Quizas hubiera venido bien la inclusion de un mapa de los niveles en vez de que te marquen los objetivos a lo Call of Duty.
    GRAFICOS: 8,5 SONIDO:8,5 JUGABILIDAD: 8,5 DURACION: 8
    TOTAL: 8,4
  52. Apr 13, 2013
    Dishonored is a first-person stealth oriented action adventure that takes place in the steampunk inspired city of Dunwall. Playing as Corvo Attano, the game does a great job in allowing you freedom in how you can complete your objectives. In addition to this, there are numerous places to explore in search of money, items, collectibles and such. Because of this, I have to disagree with theDishonored is a first-person stealth oriented action adventure that takes place in the steampunk inspired city of Dunwall. Playing as Corvo Attano, the game does a great job in allowing you freedom in how you can complete your objectives. In addition to this, there are numerous places to explore in search of money, items, collectibles and such. Because of this, I have to disagree with the reviewers who believe the game is very linear. The story is pretty easy to understand and books are everywhere for those who wish to know about Dunwall amongst other things. The game also throws in a plot twist to keep the plot engaging, though I found the ending rushed and a tad disappointing as I was hoping for something more conclusive and explanatory. Graphics wise, the aesthetic choices made complement the setting well, though there are still some low res textures here and there. The sound quality is quite good however where excellent voice acting, sound effects and soundtrack coincide to enhance the experience. Gameplay is also quite good, offering two distinctly different playstyles stealth and combat, though personally I think the best way to play is a mixture of both. You also choose whether to use non-lethal or lethal methods to take care of enemies. I would recommend lethal despite the high chaos as non-lethal restricts your arsenal to simply sleep darts and knocking people out from behind though feel free to play it that way if you wish. Just some other pros and cons of the game: Made with the PC platform in mind Very fast loading times Some degree of replayability A good length I think the game would get boring if it continued for much longer, took me around 12-16 hours) I thought the powers were kinda unbalanced. Expand
  53. Nov 14, 2012
    A great game that was engaging and solid to a T in gameplay. Then ending is... awful and is what gives it an 8.5 in my books. It truly is bland and unmoving which is a terrible shame. I really wanted to see more about the 'outsider' and several other aspects that get completely glossed over or forgotten. They should not have made three separate endings, there should be only one strongA great game that was engaging and solid to a T in gameplay. Then ending is... awful and is what gives it an 8.5 in my books. It truly is bland and unmoving which is a terrible shame. I really wanted to see more about the 'outsider' and several other aspects that get completely glossed over or forgotten. They should not have made three separate endings, there should be only one strong ending despite the branching game-play. It really has no point in the end. I truly love the game and the world and it is totally worth playing, but man.. its a trend with games now to end with a wimper, mostly due to cut funding or strict timelines, really is sad. Expand
  54. Jan 7, 2013
    Nearly a perfect execution for this genre (Superpower FPS like Bioshock or Crysis). Borrows heavily from some of the best games of the past 10 years. Artistic style inspired by Borderlands, superpower system inspired by Bioshock, architecture...think Victorian Half-Life 2. Allows you to play in a way that suits you, but primarily limited to stealth/non-lethal and aggressive/lethal.Nearly a perfect execution for this genre (Superpower FPS like Bioshock or Crysis). Borrows heavily from some of the best games of the past 10 years. Artistic style inspired by Borderlands, superpower system inspired by Bioshock, architecture...think Victorian Half-Life 2. Allows you to play in a way that suits you, but primarily limited to stealth/non-lethal and aggressive/lethal. Aggressive approach can be a bit too easy and one-note. Stealth can get frustrating at times when the availability of take-downs gets nit-picky about exact position relative to adversaries and makes you feel more like an assassin robot than a fluid ninja. It was entertaining enough that after first completion (stealth/good guy) I immediately started my second play-through (aggressive/bad guy). Doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but brings some polish to some old and proven elements. Expand
  55. Nov 10, 2012
    If the AI aren't talking of plot lines, the text tends to become the same "shall we meet for whiskey?" "yes, I believe so" and "do you think the city is getting any worse" almost as much as arrow to the knee. But all is forgiven for such an enticing story. If you play high chaos, you miss the best of the game. sneak like a mother **** Trust me, you'll be thankful you were good at the ending...
  56. Dec 21, 2012
    While still a great game, it suffered from over-hype which made the end product slightly disappointing. I still enjoyed it, but I thought it had more potential.
  57. Nov 11, 2012
    This game is awesome, the story is very interesting, the characters are very believable, the stealth system is very fun. I gave it 9 because of the combat system, it's the worst thing in the game, if you want to play the game you should try being sneaky, it's way more fun.
  58. Oct 31, 2012
    Gameplay is very good with a mix of stealth and action. The ability to choose how missions play out is deserving of a high score itself. On the technical side however, graphics may look slightly disappointing as it has adopted a much more art style than photo realism. This is just a personal preference as if they went for realism it might have set a darker and more mysterious kind of tone.Gameplay is very good with a mix of stealth and action. The ability to choose how missions play out is deserving of a high score itself. On the technical side however, graphics may look slightly disappointing as it has adopted a much more art style than photo realism. This is just a personal preference as if they went for realism it might have set a darker and more mysterious kind of tone. However, this sets the tone for the game well enough. Lighting effects look great as it's powered by unreal engine 3 and overall is an impressive pc game. Expand
  59. Oct 31, 2012
    Wonderful, creative game mechanics and visuals based on stretching the Unreal engine. A joy to play and while ending wasn't incredible, the story was nice as a whole! Would recommend to anyone.
  60. Nov 5, 2012
    Awesome stealth/frontal assault game. All you need is patience and timing, and you can complete every mission with little to no deaths, or just go in guns blazing and killing everyone in your path. All the different abilities let you get creative about how you want to do each mission. The only thing i wish they had added was a button to hide your weapon/put your weapon away (there may beAwesome stealth/frontal assault game. All you need is patience and timing, and you can complete every mission with little to no deaths, or just go in guns blazing and killing everyone in your path. All the different abilities let you get creative about how you want to do each mission. The only thing i wish they had added was a button to hide your weapon/put your weapon away (there may be one, but after looking through the settings and keyboard binds, i haven't spotted it). Expand
  61. Nov 9, 2012
    After reading the negative reviews, I'll say this: be the stealthy assassin, not the blast-everything-in-his-path guy. Better yet, try to get through the game without killing. That's where this game really shines.

Doshonored is extremely well done and polished. Before playing, I thought it would be Skyrim-esk, but the game world is more Deus Ex, in that you have mission areas to explore & clear. I generally like open-ended words like Skyrim, but for some reason, the ambiance in Dishonored makes it 100% enjoyable anyway. This might be the first game I have ever played twice.

Dishonored is, you know, "that game" that gets you feeling like you can't wait to get back to it. Hell, I created a Metacritic account just to vote on this one.
  62. Nov 10, 2012
    Dishonored if a very pleasing game that includes lots of things you would want in a game like it. You are able to play it with loads of different game types such as stealth, just going all out and killing everyone or just doing anything to beat the game and there are probably more + if you wanna play with those than you can play with those without changing, it is even possible to not killDishonored if a very pleasing game that includes lots of things you would want in a game like it. You are able to play it with loads of different game types such as stealth, just going all out and killing everyone or just doing anything to beat the game and there are probably more + if you wanna play with those than you can play with those without changing, it is even possible to not kill anyone in the game. I myself do not enjoy the map design as much as other might. If you want to play stealth its one of the best stealth i have seen in a game, so it is more enjoyable and challenging while playing stealth. The graphics are alright but if they were better it would not hurt. Overall i love the game and all the game types to play it with. The mappings a bit worse than expected, but you can play with any game type and take different paths on the map to fulfill your game type. Expand
  63. Nov 10, 2012
    This is a very good game, but DO NOT expect a full sandbox game. This feels like less secrets and exploration than the BioShock series IMO, which it clearly takes a lot of inspiration from.

What you can expect, is a top-notch adventure title with a lot of twists. The setting and feeling of the game quickly turns very dark, the graphics is great, and the skills to use are really satisfying and useful.

Also, you do not need to worry too much about the quad-core recommendation. I run this on a C2D e8400 at stock settings (e.g. 3.06 GHz because my mobo just won't let me move it even an inch). What you do need, is a good graphics card. I use a GeForce 660, currently at stock, and it runs great, everything maxed out on the highest resolution on a 24" widescreen monitor.

The story was satisfying, felt legit, but if they do make a second game, I would expect more exploration and replayability, cause this game feels far too linear, A to B fashion, to suit its own style.
  64. Dec 21, 2012
    Ever since I became an adult, I've seen games for what they are, but primarily focus on the gameplay. 2012 was a really **** year as a gamer. I mean, REALLY ****. I thought I became cynical like Stan on that one episode of South Park. Then I see Dishonored comes out, and very quickly picked it up for 50% off on a Steam sale. Holy **** **** do I love this game. There's so many differentEver since I became an adult, I've seen games for what they are, but primarily focus on the gameplay. 2012 was a really **** year as a gamer. I mean, REALLY ****. I thought I became cynical like Stan on that one episode of South Park. Then I see Dishonored comes out, and very quickly picked it up for 50% off on a Steam sale. Holy **** **** do I love this game. There's so many different ways you can approach this game: killing people, sneaking around, knocking them unconscious; so many side-quests/optional stuff to do, so many collectables, customization, oh god is there a lot to do. It does have a few small flaws though, like Blinking all over the place (Blink really shouldn't have been in the game, or at least made way less powerful), and the story is just so... bleh. Having the rat plague was just dumb to me, and essentially, the Story and overpowered Blink is what keeps this game from getting a 10 from me, but don't let those two minor things stop you from playing what is most definitely the best game of 2012. With all the other garbage that's come out this year, this game TOTALLY deserves the GOTY 2012 award. Expand
  65. Dec 13, 2012
    My Game of the Year. The gameplay is some of the best this year. It's unique and satisfying. The amount of options you have to choose from while playing through the gripping story is mind boggling. You can play the whole game sneaking or go all out and kill everyone. Graphics aren't realistic and gorgeous but they're still amazing (on max) and fit the game very well.
  66. Jul 9, 2013
    Perfection

Story and world Fully developed and interesting!! Dunwall is like a tangible place in history. Interesting visual design and machines in the game (if maybe not enough of em). The story is average at best but gets the job done doesn't matter too me. Gamplay The first game in YEARS to truly deliver on promises of gameplay choice! You can truly play your way. Assualt
    Perfection

Gamplay The first game in YEARS to truly deliver on promises of gameplay choice! You can truly play your way. Assualt gameplay tends to be more favoured but it still plays as a great sneak em up title!! Interesting gadgets and unique powers not seen in other games! Climbing and movement is smooth as can be, blinking around is super badass. Possession and entry is fun. Slow time kill combos are epic.

Sound Great voice acting very good sound design. Music is a bit of a let down not enough variety, and what is there is boring at best. Some orchestral scores will go a long way.

Graphics Great looking 'oil painting style" never seen before. Textures range from average to mind blowing. Great lighting work. Character models are amazing. Animations are qualit and use of physics in the game on enemies and objects help sell the immersion.

Maps Maps are not very diverse, but all interesting filled with enemies side quests and fun to do and see. Mission types could use a little more variety!

Replay value I have played through three times and loved each time, simply fantastic

DLC The knife of dunwall is excellent DLC that adds 3 more missions to the game, with a second expansion on the way.

BUY THIS GAME BRETHREN
  67. Dec 18, 2012
    That is awesome. Sometimes it's like an Hitman, other-times it's like Assassins Creed and of course this is FPS and action as well. Incredible mix of gaming genres, interesting story line. I like it very much.
  68. Dec 23, 2012
    Ce jeu est magnifique et jouissif à tous les égards : Possibilités énormes, jeu de haute volée, unique en son genre. Gameplay 10/10 graphismes ( j'adore ) 10/10 scénario 10/10 rejouabilité 10/10. Le jeu est tellement addictif que le temps n'existe plus ! Des jeux comme cela ( une perle rare ) on en redemande !
    Bravo à Arkane Studio (
    Bravo à Arkane Studio ( dev ) & Bethesda ( Editeur et aides ).
  69. Dec 24, 2012
    OMG, one of the best games out there. I've never written a review in my lifetime, but this game is worth every cent, I played non stop for 2 days, so it turned out too short for me, wish it was longer
    Awesome awesome
  70. Dec 26, 2012
    Wonderful, I have rarely seen a game as good a quality!

Graphically, it has a style that matches the soundtrack is good, but this game is most remarkable for its gameplay, universe and scenario, all original and rather Exc.

To do and recommend
    Arkane studio thank you!
  71. May 2, 2013
    You have to play this game at least twice to really maximize gameplay experience. It's a bit limited in that once you complete a mission you can't return to that section of town to continue exploring or get any treasure left behind, however, the game is very tactical and thoroughly enjoyable.
  72. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now,many people have touched upon the good elements of this game,so I won't go into any detail with those. The stealth and action elements,your abilities, all of them are well designed. I would also like to point out that this is one of the few games that makes first person platforming enjoyable for me. Textures may be a bit low res,but the visual design is very good. But that's not why I'm writing this review.The reason for that is massive flaw in this game,which prevents me from rating it at 10/10, and so far I haven't seen many reviewers touch upon it. "Dishonored" tracks your "chaos" as you complete your missions.Now,as I started playing I was not exactly sure how this worked,but I had heard from friends,that the less people you kill,the better the ending will be.And that's what I did.I have not killed a single assassination a target,except for Lady Boyle and in the end I still get the sh*tty,depressing f*ck you ending.So I looked up this chaos system on the game';s wiki and guess what. It doesn't matter that much if you've chosen to neutralize your target in a non-lethal fashion,it's all about how many guards you kill.Okay,that has got to be the most retarded idea in the history of mankind.First of all,the city is in complete chaos.There are killer rats,infected people that have gone insane and gang members that attack anyone on sight.People would know If I killed,for example,the high overseer,but how in the name of f*ck would they know how many guards I killed how.It makes no sense.Secondly,if you want to follow this path you're pretty much screwed.It says in the wiki,that you need to kill less than 20% of the guards in the are if you want to have low chaos,and beleive me,that's easier said than done.I never started any major massacres or something,just killed guards that were directly in my way and nearly impossible to sneak by.Now there is a way knock your enemies unconcious,but it's a pain in the a**.The first way to do it is to sneak up on them and strangle them,but that takes like five seconds and makes it very easy for you to be detected doing so.There wasn't bullsh*t like this in "Deus Ex:Human Revolution",hell there it was actually more quiet to perform a non lethal takedown.The second way is to use sleeping darts,but those are not that common,so you are forced to spend your money on them and to save them for enemies,which are hard to get behind.This whole system is flawed beyond belief.They could have atleast given you some kind of neutral ending,but no,if you want the good ening,you either have to be very patient or play the game on easy.This really,really spoiled the experience for me. Expand
  73. Jan 18, 2013
    Story:A good story for a stealth game and has its twist and turns.
    Gameplay: If bioshock and skyrim are mixed Dishonored is the result.
    Sound: Stunning voice work by Susan Sarandon,Chloë Grace Moretz,and Billy Lush give the a artistic feel and the kill sounds are awesome
    Graphics: great artwork by Viktor Antonov and its just stunning
    Verdict: 9/10
  74. Apr 20, 2013
    I love this game, just can't not live without playing this to end. Its just best sneak game ever. I'm hoping they make dishonored 2 and more maps and bigger ones. This is what you call an awesome game,
  75. Dec 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games of 2012. Simple incredible, almost perfect. Plot gripped me from the very beginning. Amazing combat and especially stealth system. Try hardest difficulty with no kill anyone. Also try to gather all coins in the game it was very hard and very entertaining!
    The only thing that saddened me is the ending feel quite empty and does not explain anything. Anyways, the game is great, I am waiting for DH2
  76. Apr 1, 2013
    this game is good, its so easy and short though, over hyped and not worth the £30 I shelled out for it when its £20 or less I do advise people to get it, I planned to replay it after completing it in less than 12 hours but so far have preferred to play games with more replay value. I want a game that's at least 30hours of entertainment... Interesting and I wasn't bored while I played itthis game is good, its so easy and short though, over hyped and not worth the £30 I shelled out for it when its £20 or less I do advise people to get it, I planned to replay it after completing it in less than 12 hours but so far have preferred to play games with more replay value. I want a game that's at least 30hours of entertainment... Interesting and I wasn't bored while I played it but I expected more. Expand
  77. Jul 15, 2013
    Brilliant game! But do yourself a favor and play on hard.... The game is very easy and it is too easy to just kill anyone who opposes you. The visuals may not be the best but they are very artistic and suit the game!
  78. Jun 21, 2013
    Despite being painfully easy even on the hardest difficulty the story is one of the greatest uses of player emotion, and really shows the modern gaming industry just how to do first person, although not necessarily stealth as it is just so easy.
  79. Sep 27, 2013
    I don't know what to say.
    Great story, they perfected it.
    The whole stealth mode is awesome and the weapons you have are epic.
    You will need skill to pass this game on normal or hard.
  80. Sep 14, 2013
    This game is pure gold. The story is amazing and the gameplay is great. The stealth is good as well. and the multiple parts and different choices give variety to the game.
  81. Oct 24, 2013
    Even a year on there is still a stack of replay value. Dishonored is often touted as a "spiritual successor" to Thief but in reality it's so much more. I loved the Thief games but going back to Thief after playing Dishonored is like going back to the original Wolfenstein after playing Unreal Tournament 3.

The main campaign admittedly feels short but there's so many ways you can play

The main campaign admittedly feels short but there's so many ways you can play through it without feeling stale that it more than makes up for it, and both DLC packs are top notch.
  82. Oct 12, 2013
    an amazing little stealth first person stab them up with a less than par story but none the less a game you can dive right into and enjoy easily a definite recommendation from me
  83. Oct 23, 2013
    Dishonored proves to be a strong stealth game: it's one of the fewest stealth games that puts creativity to the gameplay. It is a revolution, but it doesn't perform the revolution perfectly. It offers a highly intelligent gameplay, with some limitations. Story-wise and graphics-wise isn't anything special, but all what matters is the gameplay.
    It's a welcome challenge to use the unique
    It's a welcome challenge to use the unique powers to eliminate enemies. It provides an unique experience, and makes you think for a creative way to kill enemies. It will also follow your taste of gameplay: either you kill hiding on the shadows, or you just go kill everyone while being detected. Combine that, with the sweet looting and with the linear, but interesting exploration, you've got a great game. And, thankfully, the game has replay value.
    But the experience isn't that special, having a slightly short campaign (it took me about 10-12 hours), and the sometimes claustrophobic nature seeming a steal from Bioshock. It's just nothing new with the imerssivness of the game.
    Dishonored is a great game. It may not realize all your wishes, but it does satisfy. (Final Score: 8.46)
  84. Oct 24, 2013
    This is a fun game. Great story line and great graphics. the DL content was even fun. there's so many ways to play this game that you'll make repeat runs thru it. I got the game and the dl content on steam for a great price. If you have a mid level gaming pc with a decent card. Go get the GOTY edition of this. you won't be disappointed..
  85. Dec 26, 2013
    Dishonored is a fantastic stealth action game that can best be called a delicious fusion of Thief, Deus Ex, and BioShock. The stealth, movement, and combat mechanics are all satisfying enough to keep any gamer's attention, and the choice to kill or not kill any given foe makes for a surprising degree of replayability your choices have real effects on the world, in ways that would probablyDishonored is a fantastic stealth action game that can best be called a delicious fusion of Thief, Deus Ex, and BioShock. The stealth, movement, and combat mechanics are all satisfying enough to keep any gamer's attention, and the choice to kill or not kill any given foe makes for a surprising degree of replayability your choices have real effects on the world, in ways that would probably never occur to you.

I have at the present moment spent 67 hours on the game and its two story DLC (The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches). I've even gone to the trouble of playing through all of them twice to collect all the achievements. The main story campaign took me less than 15 hours my first playthrough and it's more than possible to complete the game in 10 hours or less if you really rush. However, the game has a deep world and backstory and is not meant for speedruns if take your time, search out the secrets, read the books scattered about, and listen to the goons you stalk before filling their headholes with steel, you'll discover a deep, rich, and unique world unlike anything in games today.

Gameplay is what a game lives or dies on, and Dishonored's is rock solid. Whether you want to sneak around unseen and undetected or charge in guns blazing and kill everyone in your path, Dishonored lets you carry out your assigned missions your way, without glitches, crashes, or bugs.

In addition to the excellent mechanics (on which all games live or die), Dishonored offers luxurious art (though tbqh, I feel the City 17 parallels are a little too striking), a satisfying storyline, widely varied missions, and top-flight voice acting. The music is mostly unremarkable, but since the game (quite reasonably) forces it to take a backseat to environmental and other sound effects, it's to be expected.
  86. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, the 20 hours I spent on this game were the best 20 hours of my life. The stealth mechanics are so deep and the story line is so intriguing. Two words: get. it.
  87. Mar 27, 2014
    Dishonored is EASILY my favorite stealth game of all time. While its story isn't the best, it's like DayZ where the stories you tell are the best. It mixes unique stealth gameplay with original powers to craft an experience unlike any Assassin's Creed. Thief or Hitman. The standard combat isn't very good, but it isn't the objective. Still, you can have TONS of fun with combat by mixingDishonored is EASILY my favorite stealth game of all time. While its story isn't the best, it's like DayZ where the stories you tell are the best. It mixes unique stealth gameplay with original powers to craft an experience unlike any Assassin's Creed. Thief or Hitman. The standard combat isn't very good, but it isn't the objective. Still, you can have TONS of fun with combat by mixing powers together to create devastating results. For example, you can windblast someone off a bridge, freeze time, warp to the ground and drop a spring trap, and watch the falling carcass get ripped apart. It's hysterical how fun the powers are to use. While some levels are more tedious than others, the exceptional levels are the ones I've remembered to this day. The game is memorable, fun, fast paced for a stealth game, and tells its story with efficiency. The only thing it's missing is an end-game where you could run around areas you've gone in using those powers of yours to find creative ways to down your foes. That would've made this the best game I've ever played. It still scores a 10/10 with me because of its gameplay. Despite the lack of any replay value if you play stealth, it's a great creativity device, and it is actually still worth replaying if you enjoy murdering guards with combinations of powers and a well-placed bullet.
    This game is a lot like Bioshock Infinite, if you think of it. The stories are both dystopias, both involve rescuing a damsel in distress, both are around the 10-12 hour mark with no end-game or save files, both take place before 2000 (It's hard to tell with Dishonored. It seems to take place in a steampunk society, to a degree.), and both involve extraterrestrial powers (Except that Bioshock explains them as Vigors, while Dishonored states that they originate from the Mark of the Outsider.)
    The DLC for Dishonored adds a whole new world, and does DLC right for an accurate price.
    This game was worth every penny, and I don't think I'll ever play a better stealth game.
    The game plays a silent protagonist extremely well. It's more fitting than a protagonist like, say, Garret from Thief. Corvo fits better as a silent protagonist, except, that you feel for him and his story, which motivates you to play to the end. This game tells its story flawlessly, its protagonist is silent yet memorable, and it is FUN AS HELL.
  88. Nov 12, 2014
    "Dishonored"

Dishonored is a brand new IP from Bethesda and it is the pinnacle of stealth games, the game revolts around choices, player freedom and immersive environments. Simply one of the best stealth games of all time.
    --------------------------------------------------
    GAMESCORE: 9.5 "FLAWLESS"
    --------------------------------------------------
  89. Sep 3, 2014
    Best stealth game in years, great level design and honestly it needs a damn sequel already, I hope that Arkane or Bethesda announces Dishonored 2 soon, i'd be one happy gamer.
  90. Oct 12, 2012
    This was an excellent game. From the terrific atmosphere, to the complex back round story, Dishonored gives a fantastic gaming experience. I look forward to seeing if the creators will expand this universe even more. The only downside to the game is that the story is a little predictable in some parts.
  91. Oct 11, 2012
    BUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this settingBUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this setting of vengeance, you will, sneak, assassinate, knock out, shoot and teleport your way trough many and deeply satisfying assassination missions. Freedom is the main aspect of arkane's game. Tough it is not an open world game like Skyrim, exploration is both rewarding and really fun to do, thanks to the many upgrade items, lore objects scattered throughout the city of dunwall. Exploring that environment is fluid and fast, thanks to a smooth navigation system that works really well. It is rare to have that much mobility in a first person view. When you are not going from rooftop to rooftop, searching of a treasure, you are killing... or not. the number of possibilities to achieve your objectives is almost endless. Just in the first mission after the prison escape, i could think of at least 20 different ways to end my target, one of which was non-lethal. Thats the beauty of the game, you can play the missions many different times, as not only there are many ways to do a mission, but also because loot and guard patrols are random. Some peopples are hesitating in getting the game, unsure if the fun will last. Well, i would say that the time required to play trough the game varries from one person to an other. If, you are an idiot, that doesn't get the main idea of the game, that plays on easy and never explore or do side quests (yes there are side quests and they are surprisingly amazing) you might end the game in six hours. But, if you take your time with it, explore, play at a high difficulty, and try different ways to achieve your goals, well, lets just say i am in the second mission and i have already played 10 hours. In conclusion, this game will blow any hardcore gamer away. If you are tired of the same old IPs, well there is the game you seek. Minors complaints: i think there could have been more conversations with the Npc's and the graphics, tough beautiful are somewhat underwhelming. My score would be 9.7, I hope this review convinced you at least a bit and if it didn't, just check the meta score. Expand
  92. Oct 15, 2012
    It doesn't have the best stealth (the Blink ability is a mixed bag; it opens up for some interesting tactics, but can make sneaking a bit TOO simple in some environments) or the best action ever (only three weapons not including your powers, some of which are impractical in combat) but it makes up for it by offering a breadth of freedom and choice to the player while still beingIt doesn't have the best stealth (the Blink ability is a mixed bag; it opens up for some interesting tactics, but can make sneaking a bit TOO simple in some environments) or the best action ever (only three weapons not including your powers, some of which are impractical in combat) but it makes up for it by offering a breadth of freedom and choice to the player while still being approachable to players who are more used to simply following a linear path. There's an "obvious" solution to your missions, but there's also less obvious solutions that are often more satisfying than the former, encouraging you to really explore and weigh your options. Some people still say it's too linear. To these people I have to ask... how open do you really expect this sort of game to be? Even Deus Ex and Hitman have a finite amount of ways to approach objectives, and this game is still pretty open.

I's not a perfect game but coming from a fan of Deux Ex and Thief it's a heck of a lot of fun and does more things right than it does wrong. I can only imagine most of the people who are actually rating this game as a 5 or lower are nostalgia-goggled, disillusioned old gamers who won't be satisfied with anything other than the games they played as kids.
  93. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  94. Oct 10, 2012
    It was quite upto the expectations, first thing I will say it looks really really cool. The distant view, texture quality and overall look was amazing this is one of the best looking game of this year. While the stealth mode was effective many times it does prove faulty at several places despite of having many option I felt out of option often in times. AI was considerably fine andIt was quite upto the expectations, first thing I will say it looks really really cool. The distant view, texture quality and overall look was amazing this is one of the best looking game of this year. While the stealth mode was effective many times it does prove faulty at several places despite of having many option I felt out of option often in times. AI was considerably fine and dialogue was helping to go on with the script. There is still a lot I have to explore in the game but so far I am happy with it. Expand
  95. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much toThis game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  96. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  97. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  98. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  99. Oct 12, 2012
    I have nothing but praise for this game, but first, I have something to say addressing other reviewers' complaints:
    If the game was too short, you were doing something terribly, terribly wrong. My thorough (lethal) playthrough took me about 16 hours, doing all the sidequests, tracking down as much of the gold and as many of the runes and whale-bone charms as I could. I can only imagine it'd be much longer if you went non-lethal.
    Now, to the actual review.
    Graphics: Using a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, Dishonored portrays the steampunk city of Dunwall with a style and flair that hooked me instantly. The models and textures are as high-resolution as a PC gamer could ask for, and the unique shaders and strong, hard shadows conveyed a strong, graphic novel-esque sense of visual atmosphere. The world's grim visual glory was even further enhanced by the spectacular art direction, taking queues from Half-Life 2 and blending that aesthetic with elements lifted from steampunk subculture to create a unique, rich, and enthralling visual experience. 9/10.
    Gameplay: It's difficult to address the gameplay and story separately, as the two are inexorably intertwined, but I'll do my best. Missions fling you into vast, open environments littered with hidden nooks and crannies, open windows, and rooftops just begging to be explored and immersed in. As you explore, you come across runes, coins, and whale bone charms. Runes are used to unlock elements of a supernatural toolkit, handing you various new strategies with which to engage in combat or exploration, but never overwhelming you with too much at once. Coins are used to purchase upgrades to your more physical gadgets, such as new lenses for your clockwork mask, or an automatic reloading system for your hand crossbow. And lastly, whale bone charms are equipped to give you small perks of a sort, such as gaining token amounts of health from drinking water, or swinging your sword slightly more quickly. Charms are randomized as well, so you'll rarely find one in the same place between playthroughs. Taking the elements the game gives you and combining them is where the real gold is, and every solution you come up with is something you created, not you being funneled through a narrow pathway or being told to do things a very specific way, as is common with modern games. This isn't a game where you're disappointed by hitting yet another invisible wall - this is a game where you're thrilled by discovering that yes, that did, in fact, work. 10/10.
    Story: And this is where the game truly gets into its stride, and this surprised me. Before I played the game, I was expecting a thrilling experience, not really a complex story, or good characterization. Dishonored had the courtesy to hand me everything. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the story is intense and emotional, despite the fact that it can only really be advanced between missions. But it's not the pre-set story that's the best element here, no... it's how the player's actions impact the curve of events. The game gives you tools of death; it gives you a pistol and crossbow, it gives you mines that fling razor-sharp shrapnel in a metallic tornado, it gives you a power that summons a swarm of ravenous plague rats, but it also gives you a warning: if you take too many lives, the story, characters, world, and even you will change for the worse. Many disregard the warning, much like I did... and were left distraught when, at the very end, the game solemnly held up a mirror. There are games with intense stories and endings that make you tear up, but there is NOTHING as harsh as this. Games like Mass Effect or Spec Ops: The Line, as much as you can impact events in the former, are sending you along a predetermined path. The ending isn't a product of your actions - it's simply affected by them. When Dishonored came to a conclusion, I knew that all the horrible things that had happened were MY fault, not because I'd been forced to take lives, but because I'd CHOSEN to. 10/10.
    Conclusion: Dishonored was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. This game is a work of art, and you owe it to yourself to play it any way you can. It doesn't matter what the magazines say, this is my game of the year without a moment's thought.
  100. Oct 9, 2012
    It did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios onIt did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios on to the map of real gaming. I hope to see more stuff like this from them. This isn't a game that you will follow through doing whatever the next objective is, it is a game for you. Expand

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]