8.3

1. Jul 15, 2013
    Brilliant game! But do yourself a favor and play on hard.... The game is very easy and it is too easy to just kill anyone who opposes you. The visuals may not be the best but they are very artistic and suit the game!
  2. Jun 21, 2013
    Despite being painfully easy even on the hardest difficulty the story is one of the greatest uses of player emotion, and really shows the modern gaming industry just how to do first person, although not necessarily stealth as it is just so easy.
  3. Sep 27, 2013
    I don't know what to say.
    Great story, they perfected it.
    The whole stealth mode is awesome and the weapons you have are epic.
    You will need skill to pass this game on normal or hard.
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    This game is pure gold. The story is amazing and the gameplay is great. The stealth is good as well. and the multiple parts and different choices give variety to the game.
  5. Oct 24, 2013
    Even a year on there is still a stack of replay value. Dishonored is often touted as a "spiritual successor" to Thief but in reality it's so much more. I loved the Thief games but going back to Thief after playing Dishonored is like going back to the original Wolfenstein after playing Unreal Tournament 3.

The main campaign admittedly feels short but there's so many ways you can play

The main campaign admittedly feels short but there's so many ways you can play through it without feeling stale that it more than makes up for it, and both DLC packs are top notch.
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    This is a fun game. Great story line and great graphics. the DL content was even fun. there's so many ways to play this game that you'll make repeat runs thru it. I got the game and the dl content on steam for a great price. If you have a mid level gaming pc with a decent card. Go get the GOTY edition of this. you won't be disappointed..
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    Dishonored is a fantastic stealth action game that can best be called a delicious fusion of Thief, Deus Ex, and BioShock. The stealth, movement, and combat mechanics are all satisfying enough to keep any gamer's attention, and the choice to kill or not kill any given foe makes for a surprising degree of replayability your choices have real effects on the world, in ways that would probablyDishonored is a fantastic stealth action game that can best be called a delicious fusion of Thief, Deus Ex, and BioShock. The stealth, movement, and combat mechanics are all satisfying enough to keep any gamer's attention, and the choice to kill or not kill any given foe makes for a surprising degree of replayability your choices have real effects on the world, in ways that would probably never occur to you.

I have at the present moment spent 67 hours on the game and its two story DLC (The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches). I've even gone to the trouble of playing through all of them twice to collect all the achievements. The main story campaign took me less than 15 hours my first playthrough and it's more than possible to complete the game in 10 hours or less if you really rush. However, the game has a deep world and backstory and is not meant for speedruns if take your time, search out the secrets, read the books scattered about, and listen to the goons you stalk before filling their headholes with steel, you'll discover a deep, rich, and unique world unlike anything in games today.

Gameplay is what a game lives or dies on, and Dishonored's is rock solid. Whether you want to sneak around unseen and undetected or charge in guns blazing and kill everyone in your path, Dishonored lets you carry out your assigned missions your way, without glitches, crashes, or bugs.

In addition to the excellent mechanics (on which all games live or die), Dishonored offers luxurious art (though tbqh, I feel the City 17 parallels are a little too striking), a satisfying storyline, widely varied missions, and top-flight voice acting. The music is mostly unremarkable, but since the game (quite reasonably) forces it to take a backseat to environmental and other sound effects, it's to be expected.
  8. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, the 20 hours I spent on this game were the best 20 hours of my life. The stealth mechanics are so deep and the story line is so intriguing. Two words: get. it.
  9. Mar 27, 2014
    Dishonored is EASILY my favorite stealth game of all time. While its story isn't the best, it's like DayZ where the stories you tell are the best. It mixes unique stealth gameplay with original powers to craft an experience unlike any Assassin's Creed. Thief or Hitman. The standard combat isn't very good, but it isn't the objective. Still, you can have TONS of fun with combat by mixingDishonored is EASILY my favorite stealth game of all time. While its story isn't the best, it's like DayZ where the stories you tell are the best. It mixes unique stealth gameplay with original powers to craft an experience unlike any Assassin's Creed. Thief or Hitman. The standard combat isn't very good, but it isn't the objective. Still, you can have TONS of fun with combat by mixing powers together to create devastating results. For example, you can windblast someone off a bridge, freeze time, warp to the ground and drop a spring trap, and watch the falling carcass get ripped apart. It's hysterical how fun the powers are to use. While some levels are more tedious than others, the exceptional levels are the ones I've remembered to this day. The game is memorable, fun, fast paced for a stealth game, and tells its story with efficiency. The only thing it's missing is an end-game where you could run around areas you've gone in using those powers of yours to find creative ways to down your foes. That would've made this the best game I've ever played. It still scores a 10/10 with me because of its gameplay. Despite the lack of any replay value if you play stealth, it's a great creativity device, and it is actually still worth replaying if you enjoy murdering guards with combinations of powers and a well-placed bullet.
    This game is a lot like Bioshock Infinite, if you think of it. The stories are both dystopias, both involve rescuing a damsel in distress, both are around the 10-12 hour mark with no end-game or save files, both take place before 2000 (It's hard to tell with Dishonored. It seems to take place in a steampunk society, to a degree.), and both involve extraterrestrial powers (Except that Bioshock explains them as Vigors, while Dishonored states that they originate from the Mark of the Outsider.)
    The DLC for Dishonored adds a whole new world, and does DLC right for an accurate price.
    This game was worth every penny, and I don't think I'll ever play a better stealth game.
    The game plays a silent protagonist extremely well. It's more fitting than a protagonist like, say, Garret from Thief. Corvo fits better as a silent protagonist, except, that you feel for him and his story, which motivates you to play to the end. This game tells its story flawlessly, its protagonist is silent yet memorable, and it is FUN AS HELL.
  10. Nov 12, 2014
    "Dishonored"

Dishonored is a brand new IP from Bethesda and it is the pinnacle of stealth games, the game revolts around choices, player freedom and immersive environments. Simply one of the best stealth games of all time.
    --------------------------------------------------
    GAMESCORE: 9.5 "FLAWLESS"
    --------------------------------------------------
  11. Sep 3, 2014
    Best stealth game in years, great level design and honestly it needs a damn sequel already, I hope that Arkane or Bethesda announces Dishonored 2 soon, i'd be one happy gamer.
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    This was an excellent game. From the terrific atmosphere, to the complex back round story, Dishonored gives a fantastic gaming experience. I look forward to seeing if the creators will expand this universe even more. The only downside to the game is that the story is a little predictable in some parts.
  13. Oct 11, 2012
    BUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this settingBUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this setting of vengeance, you will, sneak, assassinate, knock out, shoot and teleport your way trough many and deeply satisfying assassination missions. Freedom is the main aspect of arkane's game. Tough it is not an open world game like Skyrim, exploration is both rewarding and really fun to do, thanks to the many upgrade items, lore objects scattered throughout the city of dunwall. Exploring that environment is fluid and fast, thanks to a smooth navigation system that works really well. It is rare to have that much mobility in a first person view. When you are not going from rooftop to rooftop, searching of a treasure, you are killing... or not. the number of possibilities to achieve your objectives is almost endless. Just in the first mission after the prison escape, i could think of at least 20 different ways to end my target, one of which was non-lethal. Thats the beauty of the game, you can play the missions many different times, as not only there are many ways to do a mission, but also because loot and guard patrols are random. Some peopples are hesitating in getting the game, unsure if the fun will last. Well, i would say that the time required to play trough the game varries from one person to an other. If, you are an idiot, that doesn't get the main idea of the game, that plays on easy and never explore or do side quests (yes there are side quests and they are surprisingly amazing) you might end the game in six hours. But, if you take your time with it, explore, play at a high difficulty, and try different ways to achieve your goals, well, lets just say i am in the second mission and i have already played 10 hours. In conclusion, this game will blow any hardcore gamer away. If you are tired of the same old IPs, well there is the game you seek. Minors complaints: i think there could have been more conversations with the Npc's and the graphics, tough beautiful are somewhat underwhelming. My score would be 9.7, I hope this review convinced you at least a bit and if it didn't, just check the meta score. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2012
    It doesn't have the best stealth (the Blink ability is a mixed bag; it opens up for some interesting tactics, but can make sneaking a bit TOO simple in some environments) or the best action ever (only three weapons not including your powers, some of which are impractical in combat) but it makes up for it by offering a breadth of freedom and choice to the player while still beingIt doesn't have the best stealth (the Blink ability is a mixed bag; it opens up for some interesting tactics, but can make sneaking a bit TOO simple in some environments) or the best action ever (only three weapons not including your powers, some of which are impractical in combat) but it makes up for it by offering a breadth of freedom and choice to the player while still being approachable to players who are more used to simply following a linear path. There's an "obvious" solution to your missions, but there's also less obvious solutions that are often more satisfying than the former, encouraging you to really explore and weigh your options. Some people still say it's too linear. To these people I have to ask... how open do you really expect this sort of game to be? Even Deus Ex and Hitman have a finite amount of ways to approach objectives, and this game is still pretty open.

I's not a perfect game but coming from a fan of Deux Ex and Thief it's a heck of a lot of fun and does more things right than it does wrong. I can only imagine most of the people who are actually rating this game as a 5 or lower are nostalgia-goggled, disillusioned old gamers who won't be satisfied with anything other than the games they played as kids.
  15. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much toThis game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  17. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  18. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  19. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  20. Oct 12, 2012
    I have nothing but praise for this game, but first, I have something to say addressing other reviewers' complaints:
    If the game was too short, you were doing something terribly, terribly wrong. My thorough (lethal) playthrough took me about 16 hours, doing all the sidequests, tracking down as much of the gold and as many of the runes and whale-bone charms as I could. I can only imagine it'd be much longer if you went non-lethal.
    Now, to the actual review.
    Graphics: Using a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, Dishonored portrays the steampunk city of Dunwall with a style and flair that hooked me instantly. The models and textures are as high-resolution as a PC gamer could ask for, and the unique shaders and strong, hard shadows conveyed a strong, graphic novel-esque sense of visual atmosphere. The world's grim visual glory was even further enhanced by the spectacular art direction, taking queues from Half-Life 2 and blending that aesthetic with elements lifted from steampunk subculture to create a unique, rich, and enthralling visual experience. 9/10.
    Gameplay: It's difficult to address the gameplay and story separately, as the two are inexorably intertwined, but I'll do my best. Missions fling you into vast, open environments littered with hidden nooks and crannies, open windows, and rooftops just begging to be explored and immersed in. As you explore, you come across runes, coins, and whale bone charms. Runes are used to unlock elements of a supernatural toolkit, handing you various new strategies with which to engage in combat or exploration, but never overwhelming you with too much at once. Coins are used to purchase upgrades to your more physical gadgets, such as new lenses for your clockwork mask, or an automatic reloading system for your hand crossbow. And lastly, whale bone charms are equipped to give you small perks of a sort, such as gaining token amounts of health from drinking water, or swinging your sword slightly more quickly. Charms are randomized as well, so you'll rarely find one in the same place between playthroughs. Taking the elements the game gives you and combining them is where the real gold is, and every solution you come up with is something you created, not you being funneled through a narrow pathway or being told to do things a very specific way, as is common with modern games. This isn't a game where you're disappointed by hitting yet another invisible wall - this is a game where you're thrilled by discovering that yes, that did, in fact, work. 10/10.
    Story: And this is where the game truly gets into its stride, and this surprised me. Before I played the game, I was expecting a thrilling experience, not really a complex story, or good characterization. Dishonored had the courtesy to hand me everything. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the story is intense and emotional, despite the fact that it can only really be advanced between missions. But it's not the pre-set story that's the best element here, no... it's how the player's actions impact the curve of events. The game gives you tools of death; it gives you a pistol and crossbow, it gives you mines that fling razor-sharp shrapnel in a metallic tornado, it gives you a power that summons a swarm of ravenous plague rats, but it also gives you a warning: if you take too many lives, the story, characters, world, and even you will change for the worse. Many disregard the warning, much like I did... and were left distraught when, at the very end, the game solemnly held up a mirror. There are games with intense stories and endings that make you tear up, but there is NOTHING as harsh as this. Games like Mass Effect or Spec Ops: The Line, as much as you can impact events in the former, are sending you along a predetermined path. The ending isn't a product of your actions - it's simply affected by them. When Dishonored came to a conclusion, I knew that all the horrible things that had happened were MY fault, not because I'd been forced to take lives, but because I'd CHOSEN to. 10/10.
    Conclusion: Dishonored was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. This game is a work of art, and you owe it to yourself to play it any way you can. It doesn't matter what the magazines say, this is my game of the year without a moment's thought.
  21. Oct 9, 2012
    It did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios onIt did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios on to the map of real gaming. I hope to see more stuff like this from them. This isn't a game that you will follow through doing whatever the next objective is, it is a game for you. Expand
  22. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  23. Oct 19, 2012
    I am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay isI am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay is perfect, its fun all the time, really varied where you can go your own way pretty much everywhere. there is this great atmosphere where i really feel im there. Theres i so much to discover that i would just dont care about in any other game, but here i can spend hours on going to small secret rooms and passages cause they all feel so alive and intresting. The controls are supersmooth and i almost get irritated cause there is nothing to be irritated on. loading times are super quick, the graphics are fabulous on many places. the sound is really perfect. Or, yeah there is one thing that could be better, there is almost no music, which actually suits the game good, but i would prefer a good soundtrack. Expand
  24. Oct 21, 2012
    DIshonored is a curious game. It promotes itself as an open world FP-action-stealth-RPG with a deep plot but at the end of the day after the 20 or so hours it took me to complete the game, I was impressed by it for other reasons. Firstly, the stealth element is mediocre at best, mimicking stealth mechanics of modern action titles such as Deus Ex and the Elder Scrolls. The climbing mechanicDIshonored is a curious game. It promotes itself as an open world FP-action-stealth-RPG with a deep plot but at the end of the day after the 20 or so hours it took me to complete the game, I was impressed by it for other reasons. Firstly, the stealth element is mediocre at best, mimicking stealth mechanics of modern action titles such as Deus Ex and the Elder Scrolls. The climbing mechanic is definitely one of the best Ive seen in recently years with EVERY obstacle able to be climbed over/ascend onto in first-person. No more of the **** 'Oh this ledge is too high, my character cant reach it coz they jump liek they're toddlers' or 'Oh noes I cant get overt this barrier coz my character cant jump high enough'. Its called using your bloody hands and body. And finally, Dishonored showed us that. I am crying with happiness.
    Oh yes, they managed to make both the stealth and all-guns-blazing approach satisfying, which is a plus as most modern games of such manner would only reward players who chose the stealth path. The excellent plotline, the world, NPCs and superb voiceacting are also highlights. The ending to the game is nothing sort of heartwarming (though this depends on your choices in the game) and this does not mean its a happy ending (depends on you interpret it - I say its a happy ending despite what happens). The cons? Its not open world. Thats right. They lied to us. Essentially there are NINE missions, each with a large area to complete objectives. Its not an open world sense like Deus Ex. There are no hubs to visit, no cities to explore or locations to be discovered. You're essentially handed the area for each mission and through their open yet linear multiple pathways, you proceed, overcome and complete your objectives. Oh and did I mention its pretty short? I finished this game in a little bit over 20 hours and that's only because I actually did every single side-quest as well as found almost every collectable in every mission as well as listened/engages in every dialogue possible. If you rush, you can finish the game under 10 hours (a player on steam forums completed the game in 7 hours). Dishonored is an experience. You play it. You finish it. You probably will play it again just to see how things will pan out differently. And then you probably wont touch it again. But you'll still think it was worth it, the money well spent. An excellent, well-rounded title that deserves your attention.
  25. Oct 16, 2012
    Definitely a great game. The most fun part of this game is the number of choices you can make to proceed through a mission, mostly because of the variety of ways you have to do your kills.
    Their main soundtrack (Drunken Whaler) fits the game perfectly, users usually love when guards whistles it.
  26. Oct 26, 2012
    When I first heard about Zeni Max consuming the Arcane Studio,I really wasnt sure that they can provide something interesting to gamers because ZM is famous for its RPG's not for assasin's creed style games.But eventually,after playing Dishonored,I realised that this game is far more involving and interesting than even hitman ot assasin's creed.A good mix of action and rpg,unique andWhen I first heard about Zeni Max consuming the Arcane Studio,I really wasnt sure that they can provide something interesting to gamers because ZM is famous for its RPG's not for assasin's creed style games.But eventually,after playing Dishonored,I realised that this game is far more involving and interesting than even hitman ot assasin's creed.A good mix of action and rpg,unique and interesting atmosphere,different possibilities of ending the game-is not the complete list of all advantages of the game.So I really enjoed playing this game for 20-30 hours and I reccommend it to anyone that is interested in stealth-action games. Expand
  27. Oct 29, 2012
    Probably one of the best stealth games, if not best overall RPG game I have played. It wasn't very long, but I think more devs need to make games shorter to enable more time to be allocated to increasing the quality overall. So much attention was focused on the detail, and if you're the kind of person who pays attention to the little things, you will appreciate this work of art.
  28. Oct 9, 2012
    The game play is absolutely great but the story is not smooth. The combat system feels like a mixture of Skyrim and Deus Ex H R. There are many dilemmas that the player must decide and many hidden places to explore. The player's decisions and skill selections will change where the player can go and cannot go. It means the player must replay the game several times to explore everything.
  29. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.
    Brilliant game.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions.
  30. Oct 12, 2012
    I really love this game, probably the best game I've ever played. Everything was great: the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics (little cartoony and I like that) and the AI. What I like most about this game is the many different ways you're able to finish it, like 5 different ways to get into a building or killing everyone or leaving everyone harmless. I definitely rate this game 10/10 evenI really love this game, probably the best game I've ever played. Everything was great: the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics (little cartoony and I like that) and the AI. What I like most about this game is the many different ways you're able to finish it, like 5 different ways to get into a building or killing everyone or leaving everyone harmless. I definitely rate this game 10/10 even more if I was able to. The only negative thing I have to say is that I've finished it in about 4-6 hours on normal difficulty, it's great that there's a mission replay option, though. It's a mix between: Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Beyond Good and Evil and Mirror's Edge. Expand
  31. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  32. Oct 17, 2012
    This game has so many moving parts, I am amazed it came together as well as it did. Arkane's pedigree didn't exactly leave me high in expectation. They delivered with some beautiful, understated art, characters and setting I remember after putting the mouse down hours later, and greatest off all, a set of abilities and options that are all handled with a fine degree of precision. In theThis game has so many moving parts, I am amazed it came together as well as it did. Arkane's pedigree didn't exactly leave me high in expectation. They delivered with some beautiful, understated art, characters and setting I remember after putting the mouse down hours later, and greatest off all, a set of abilities and options that are all handled with a fine degree of precision. In the span of 4 seconds, I can teleport to the top of a fire escape, leap down and silently snuff the life out of one poor soul, then subdue his partner, while maybe alerting three other soldiers. You can then decide to stop time, assassinating all three with your blade/pistol/crossbow, create a gust of wind to knock them all back, or simply cook a grenade to explode in their faces. The moment to moment action is an interlocking chain of checks and balances. My only possible gripe with the encounters is that later on (After 'the twist') the player is forced by sheer design of some of the foes into a more deliberate and brutal (and less creative) form of interactive expression. On the whole, a fantastic new IP, one I hope to see more of. Expand
  33. Oct 12, 2012
    I am having a really good time with this game. It reminds me of System Shock and Deus Ex but definnitely has its own personality and style. You have so much control over how you proceed with your objectives its crazy. This is a game that demands exploration and experimentation. I definitely recommend it.
  34. Oct 13, 2012
    Anyone who listens to the negative reviews for this game deserves what they get.....nothing.This is by far the BEST first person,stealth and story game I have ever played....period!I am a SENIOR gamer and have seen many games since 1982.(Atari)I personally own over 400 PC games,over 200 of which are on Steam.The game mechanics,graphics,and smothness of the game are second to none.ThoseAnyone who listens to the negative reviews for this game deserves what they get.....nothing.This is by far the BEST first person,stealth and story game I have ever played....period!I am a SENIOR gamer and have seen many games since 1982.(Atari)I personally own over 400 PC games,over 200 of which are on Steam.The game mechanics,graphics,and smothness of the game are second to none.Those complaining of choppy graphics have puter problems.My Q9650 is over 4 years old and the game runs OUTSTANDING with NO slowups anywhere.If you take the time to visit everywhere and do all the side quests you will get upwards of 30-40 hours of game play.Those who breeze through it in 12 hours are missing the point.I have not done ALL the quests and I am at about 20 hours and am at the start of the last chapter.Thsi THE benchmark for FPS,Stealth games in the future in my book.Do not miss this one kiddies. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    Dishonored is best described as a combination of Tenchu, Fallout and Splinter Cell yes, it's a technological ninja RPG. It is easily one of the best games to come out for PC this year. The graphics are not up to snuff for a PC title though. Otherwise I would have given this game a 10.
  36. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  37. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is a truly profound title that separates itself from the market while also embracing what fans love most about the FPS-RPG genre. It has a provoking story, engaging gameplay, and not to mention it's pretty to look at. This is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  38. Oct 10, 2012
    Instead of writing a wall of text, explaining why this game is great, I will just name cons that i have found during my play through.
    - Story is a bit too predictable, but nevertheless, ending left me more than satisfied (wich is rare nowdays).
    - Although it is actually a great stealth game, stealth here resides around "blink", rather then the play with light and shadow. In such a dark place as Dunwall, I would make a lot of sense to make dark places actually safer. Increasing mana cost of blinking above regeneration value and making light actually matter would have done game much more challenging and thus interesting for me. - Speaking of challenging. I've completed game on "Very Hard", and i would not say it is actually that hard. Sure thing I've avoided any direct contact with enemy forces and completed all missions in ghost mode because playing otherwise would be a suicide. But overall, blink is too powerful both for eliminating enemies and vertical/horizontal movement so with a keen eye and mind you will feel kidna godlike even on highest difficulty level. - "Darksight" ability, if im not mistaken that's how it is called , is done very wrong in my opinion. It has really high usefulness factor, so it will be turned on really often. Question is why would you do it with such an annoying sound and visual effect? - Guards are acting good enough, when facing suspicious sounds/visuals, but their view distance is very limited. Horizontal angle is ok, vertical angle is ok in 90% of situations, but view distance is just laughable. That should have been like 2x or even 3x as it is right now. Still would not be much of a problem with blink, timestop and other goodies.
    - High variety of devices, although only for casual walk through. If you gonna play it on normal or easy, rushing on enemies and dealing with them in most exotic ways then you will use your arsenal to full potential. But if you are planning on going silent, or even bloodless way if you choose so, you will be forced into using same tricks all over and over again. Grenades, traps, pistols, incendiary ammo, fatalities, etc. + all sorts of upgrades to them will be useless to you, coz they will be either lethal, or just too loud to make use of. Wider variety of silent and nonlethal weaponry would make this game a lot more interesting for stealh lovers.

Summing things up, this game deserves solid 9, assuming the fact I'd never give game a 10 just because no game is perfect, but i will just to compensate for some dumbasses giving this game 3/10. Most of my complains are regarding difficulty, but that's mostly personal. Some people might find it hard enough im sure. This game could use some tuning in abilities and gear department to make things a bit more balanced to diversify gameplay, but even without it, it is just one hell of a journey. Your only excuse for missing this game is only if you cant stand sneaking up on people.
  39. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player'sThis is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  40. CBZ
    Oct 16, 2012
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Its fun to go through the maps in different ways and find all the different paths to achieve the objectives.
    The environment is very original and maps have many options despite the linear structure. Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is average at most but I expect the hard setting to be better.
    Some people are being too harsh, probably because they had such high expectations.
  41. Oct 15, 2012
    After the flop of ME3, for me this is the game of the year. Usually I trust more the users reviews than the paid ones, but here, I thing 8.5 is not correct. This is one of the best games of all time. I love it as I loved Deus ex 1.
    When I first saw its trailer I knew that if it comes out like that and if it isn't vaporware, it's my game. And it did come out like that. And better. So what I like about it: 1. the design. The looks are amazing, it has a french touch. Look at the painted textures, the hands of the models, their anatomy, the drawings on the walls, the backgrounds. I'm in the field of graphic design and this game is visually stunning, it has character and THAT'S RARE, I can tell you. 2. the gameplay - draws me in. I'm free to do what I want. Deus ex HR should have been like this (there I always felt walking in a tube). I usually don't like sneak only games, but here I enjoy that part, too. 3 NO BOSSES - at last. We're not 4 year olds to swallow the same game system on and on again - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level... I don't feel the console here, this isn't a console port for god sake. 4. Atmosphere - If you run through the game you miss the game - wait, eavesdrop, sneak, read, listen, collect, look around and a new world opens up, this game has a distinct atmosphere like the biggest games of all times - HL2, Skyrim, ME 1-2, Fallout 3 and so on. 5. The engine - Crysis was one of the best looking games of all times, but even now, 5 years after it's release, you need a bumped up machine to max it out - as programming it was a joke. I can make a game look like Avatar only it would take 2 month for a single frame... Not here. My fps never dropped below 25, and I mean never... Usually between 35-50 - and I play it on my laptop (!).
    Arkane Studios is now one of my favourite developers - french touch FTW :). I liked Arx Fatalis, but never finished, same with Dark Messiah. But this is their masterpiece. If they don't get too greedy (a thing that plagues the gaming industry nowadays - ME3, Diablo3, etc), I'll be waiting for any new games they release.
    I wanted to give this game a 9 (it has minor, minor annoyances), but that wouldn't be correct, this is a 10 game, if you don't know why you miss something. I would give it 11 if I could (+1 for no bosses :) )
  42. Oct 16, 2012
    Dishonored is a very good game despite what some overly-expectant clods are proclaiming (thankfully there are not that many of them!). The game has interesting gameplay with quite an intriguing, if rather short, story. The game is not so challenging if you play on the easier difficulty levels (duh) and if you decide to fight every enemy you see (which also results in a darker ending). TheDishonored is a very good game despite what some overly-expectant clods are proclaiming (thankfully there are not that many of them!). The game has interesting gameplay with quite an intriguing, if rather short, story. The game is not so challenging if you play on the easier difficulty levels (duh) and if you decide to fight every enemy you see (which also results in a darker ending). The game is designed to be a stealth game, not a shoot em up. So, if the player is searching for a challenge (and a better ending), stealth and staying thy blade&bow will present such a challenge. Overall Dishonored is definitely one of the better games of recent times and is definitely worth checking out.

Jester's Rating: 9.5/10 (Limited by metacritic's rating system)
  43. Jul 31, 2013
    Dishonored features a great environment. The city of Dunwall is well built and the graphic style works well. Gameplay suffers somewhat from linearity both in the story and in the missions, but this is saved by the fun of the various gadgets and powers which grant the player a lot of ways to "mess about" in the levels. I don't really see the plot to be that weak, or the levels to be tooDishonored features a great environment. The city of Dunwall is well built and the graphic style works well. Gameplay suffers somewhat from linearity both in the story and in the missions, but this is saved by the fun of the various gadgets and powers which grant the player a lot of ways to "mess about" in the levels. I don't really see the plot to be that weak, or the levels to be too small. The game feels and plays like a pretty GOOD console port. Definitely worth buying and a couple of play-throughs. While nothing is really outstanding or surprising, it's a solid game with an interesting setting and definitely will give some good memories. Expand
  44. Jul 25, 2013
    Really, really good game. Be creative with your approach to the objective. Be stealthy and non-lethal or highly lethal playthrough, but with various tactics and weapons, traps, etc.
  45. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wise and fascinating story, I loved it. Only thing that bothers me is that I have to use Dark Vision all the time.
    Still, it have found a place in my heart
  46. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is definitely game of the year. not only is this game a great time, its also a prime example to the gaming industries that a game with great story will much more draw an audience rather than grapics, or saving merica. This game is going down in my back as the best game of the year. Thank you!
  47. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  48. Oct 10, 2012
    This is honestly one of the most creative and unique games I've ever played. And that's coming from 24 years of gaming. The developers struck a PERFECT balance between open-world gameplay and story-driven gameplay, and allows the player to make use of the environment like I've never seen in any game. The art style is unbelievable, the whole game feels like a big painting. It's quiteThis is honestly one of the most creative and unique games I've ever played. And that's coming from 24 years of gaming. The developers struck a PERFECT balance between open-world gameplay and story-driven gameplay, and allows the player to make use of the environment like I've never seen in any game. The art style is unbelievable, the whole game feels like a big painting. It's quite possible that the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a video game is teleport to a rooftop 20 feet above me as I sprint away from seven frenzied guards who's reaction is "huh?" Expand
  49. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  50. Oct 11, 2012
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    This is not a game where you get 3 choices for a mission. The choices being stealth, negociation, and force. Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The areas are completly open (even though there are loadings between each, which are VERY short, around 1 second for me between each area), and you can sneak everywhere looking for the best ways, instead of being pointed to one direction by the level design.

The game really let's you play. Once you are dropped in a map, it's up to you to do anything you want. And it is SO satisfying.

The setting is absolutly incredible. The world is believable, and so well crafted. The graphics won't win a polygon count, but they are just beautiful. Ignore the people saying the texture are low res. It is not true. They just "seem" that way because of the "water painting" style the artists chose. Proof can be seen all over the map, writtings on walls and billboards can be read very clearly, if the textures was low res, it would not be possible.

The voice acting is excellent, and NPCs will interact between each other when close.
    For exemple, I was about to kill one guard by jumping on top of him, when he started to chat with a maid, I got curious and waited to see what it was about, at the end of the little chat the guard said with a sigh "Is this what it's going to be like when we are married?". This were 2 randoms NPCs in a house, not important quest related NPCs, and suddently, they became "more real". And I couldn't kill him.
    Another favorite of mine, is when guard patrols and they whistle lullabies our mother would sing us when we were babies. It adds to the setting, and the feeling of despair. Everyone is afraid, everyone is at risk, and so when they whistle to relieve their mind, they go back to a happier time, when their mothers used to sing for them...
    Just beautiful.
  51. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .ThereI have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  52. Oct 10, 2012
    This is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not aThis is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not a lore guy at all. But this game, the atmosphere, the vibes you get from the environment just pull you into the story and you actually enjoy it, and want to see what is going to happen next. You also have the power to change up the story a bit depending upon what choices you make. Expand
  53. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem, journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  54. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approachesThis is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  55. Oct 9, 2012
    This is one of the better games that I've bought in the last few years. It exceeds guild wars 2, battlefield 3, and many others in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. The gameplay is smooth as silk, and you get very immersed when you are stalking your prey. Huge fights give an adrenaline rush from all of the unpredictable chaos that happens which is a big bonus. I'd give it a 10, but theThis is one of the better games that I've bought in the last few years. It exceeds guild wars 2, battlefield 3, and many others in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. The gameplay is smooth as silk, and you get very immersed when you are stalking your prey. Huge fights give an adrenaline rush from all of the unpredictable chaos that happens which is a big bonus. I'd give it a 10, but the game is a little more cartoony than I would have expected, and the blood effects leave just a tiny bit to be desired in your killing sprees Expand
  56. Oct 10, 2012
    I haven't completed the game's campaign yet but it's game-play is great, the art-design of the game's environment makes an applaud for me. The setting of the game is unique and original. What else could I say? One problem I did not enjoy was the NPC s suddenly shooting something at me out of nowhere and stopped. A minor bug I suppose?
    9.5/10
    Still, another Great Game Of The Year.
  57. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or youAmazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or you can be a ruthless assassin that leaves none alive. Also, this game has a lot of replay value, you can complete the game numerous times and not get tired of it. Expand
  58. Oct 16, 2012
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this. If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this. This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this.
    This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of melee combat, magic abilities, stealth and player choice and sets it in a beautifully imagined world rich with background story and fascinating characters. The storyline isn't something to write home about, but against the rest of this game one can almost forget there is a storyline and just immerse yourself in the beauty that is Dishonored.

Definite candidate for Game of the Year
  59. Oct 12, 2012
    A nice and solid game, still wonder how can someone rate a game bad if he/she rushed through it (5 hours? that's damn rushing).
    This isn't a "pure" fps, nor some Assassin's Creed clone, is closer to an RPG than many might think. (even thou it isn't an rgp).
    Someone complains about the setting/lore/story, have you tried to read the books and notes? or to listen to the audiographs? Sure the story might have been better and looks like they had to cut it, namely the end is a bit "rushed out", but still if all you care about is killing guards etc you are missing the point of the game.
    "oh my gawd this sport car sucks, took me only 1 hour to get to desto and the landscape was blurry"
    The journey is the reward not the goal. ;)
  60. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  61. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was notThis is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  62. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is toIt's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is to choke (Not do-able in combat) use sleep dart( which is almost ineffective in combat). There needs to be more ways to knock people out, and make people be able do it in combat. Combat is great, so are graphics. Expand
  63. Oct 14, 2012
    A great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years andA great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years and I don't think the game is as linear as people purport it to be.

So what stops the game from being a 10/10 for me? The story, which wasn't all that interesting, it gave me this Assassin's Creed 1 vibe in its simplicity. And then the length of the game. To make this game long you have to play it with the mindset of making it so yourself. The game doesn't present itself well in this regard, many players will undoubtedly rush through the game chasing objectives and then stand there with 6-10 hours played wondering where their money went. Me? My first playthrough clocked in at 22 hours. I'm working on my second "chaos" playthrough now which without doubt will go quicker but I still feel the game is worth the money.

9/10, because what the game actually has you do is utterly delicious, though it falls short in the length and main story despite that it is set in a unique, dystopian victorianesque steampunk setting with lovecraftian tendencies which I find highly interesting and want more of.
  64. Oct 12, 2012
    I expected less of this game, but I was surprised in the beginning, this game is very similar to the "Commandos" where you can choose kill all the enemies without making a noise using the knife or kill all the weapon and make a tremendous noise, very good its engine, congratulations Bethesda
  65. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a game that requires you to make your own fun almost. If you approach this game meaning just to finish it,don't buy it. You need to spend your time in each level, finding all the nooks and crannies, uncovering some of the lore reading those books that are scattered around the levels, it simply adds so much more to the experience. And that's what this game is, an experience. The stealth is a bit simple, the same can be said for the combat but together with the beautiful world that has been created, it is much more than the sum of its parts. I distinctly remember when in the second mission I was dealing with the High Overseer and I had knocked him out and the uncle of a girl that she had asked me to save. I was doing great when I went around the corner to find an overseer with this back turned. So I knock him out and then return to my plotting to get this uncle guy to a safe location and the High Overseer to the interrogation room. Then I ran in to another overseer, and another and another until I had basically knocked out every overseer on the floor that I was in. So I rushed away when I saw that I had missed a rune, already seeing the way that I could do it better next time. I can definitely see myself re-playing this game as a ruthless, kill everybody, kind of character, which is different from the, I will not kill my targets but if s**t goes down I will kill the guards type of character that I have been playing. I would also suggest at least playing on hard if you are going stealthy, as well as turning most of the user interface off. Finding bone charms and runes by remembering the direction the heart was beating and the how frequent it was, with a faint red glow indicating the object, is much more enjoyable than seeing a sign telling you what it was, where it was, even though you weren't putting your heart near the direction, and the amount of meters you need to travel to reach it, is way over simplified. So basically, in summary, if you are one to squeeze out every morsel of a game, then this is definitely a game for you, and will provide plenty of motivation to do so. If you simply were interested in this game because the some of the kill cams look cool then you will be disappointed and I recommend that you stay away from this game. So what if you are in the middle of the spectrum? Well, I was there too and I found that if play this game with an open mind, you will enjoy the game. I can also honestly say this is one of the only games that have actually motivated me to spend 2 hours on a level finding that last obscure rune or bone charm, the only rune that I missed was on the second mission and I am still kicking myself for letting it go. Expand
  66. Oct 15, 2012
    Поздравляю всех любителей stealth с выходом достойного проекта, чтоПоздравляю всех любителей stealth с выходом достойного проекта, что бывает довольно редко в нашем жанре. Любители гранат(тм) могут смело проходить мимо. Expand
  67. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ฉันชอบเกมนี้มากเลยระบบการเล่นสะใจมาก และมันทำให้ฉันนึกย้อนถึงเกมเก่า ๆ หลาย ๆ เกมที่ฉันคิดถึงมาตลอด Expand
  68. Oct 12, 2012
    If your going to play this game understand it does not tell you the best way to complete its tasks. I have pleasantly been surprised how much I can complete by not doing what the mission tells me to do and then finding another solution. Currently I Am trying to beat the game without a single death of myself nor of a Enemy. SO HARD TO DO but I love the challenge The game is worth a fewIf your going to play this game understand it does not tell you the best way to complete its tasks. I have pleasantly been surprised how much I can complete by not doing what the mission tells me to do and then finding another solution. Currently I Am trying to beat the game without a single death of myself nor of a Enemy. SO HARD TO DO but I love the challenge The game is worth a few playthrough's and Try to beat it deathless on max difficulty will def keep my time occupied. If you play on casual and just chop through the main storyline then never pick up the game again then You have missed what this game is all about. Expand
  69. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is totally awesome , ı have never played a game like that , ı mean ı dunno what to say , game is perfect , story ,atmosphere , game-play , graphics (could be better), when ı'm playing the game ı feel like ı'm kinda inside of it , it's not something which you can tell , you have to live , 10/10 -sorry for my bad ing-
  70. Oct 13, 2012
    While this game was hyped up a lot, I still think it's underrated at only a 91%. I went into this game quite skeptical that it could live up to its advertising, but it has done that and more. HOWEVER. This game is a reflection of your creativity as a gamer, as it uses manifold ways to reach your objectives. If you are an unimaginitive person then the story you live out will be anWhile this game was hyped up a lot, I still think it's underrated at only a 91%. I went into this game quite skeptical that it could live up to its advertising, but it has done that and more. HOWEVER. This game is a reflection of your creativity as a gamer, as it uses manifold ways to reach your objectives. If you are an unimaginitive person then the story you live out will be an unimaginitive one. So if you want mindless action look elsewhere. This is a game for people who enjoy thinking.

Dishonored is a fantastic piece of art that values creativity and choice and plunges you into an amazingly immersive environment. I am a very involved gamer and have played and beaten countless games, both on PC and on standalone consoles, and I can say without a doubt that this is honestly the best game I have ever played. The immersive atmosphere of Half-Life and Bioshock mixed with the stealth of Thief and Deus Ex are an amazing combination. The graphics, while simple, are beautifully done in painting-like tones, and the lighting engine is phenomenal. The soundtrack is both breathtaking and adrenaline-inducing. The storyline is quite solid and very dark, the world expansive and deep, and the game can clock you 23+ hours on higher difficulty if you explore a little. The controls are extremely responsive, and the fighting mechanics, contrary to some peoples' beliefs, are solid and difficult to master, although intuitive enough to learn. The voice acting is marvellous. Almost constantly you'll overhear guards or civilians having conversations, but it's almost always a unique, scripted dialogue made specially just for those two NPCs, that can last for upwards of two minutes in many cases, which adds incredible depth to the already intriguing environments. AND THE CHOICE - You can do anything, from combat, to stealth. Be lethal or non-lethal. Exploration is key. Multiple passageways always exist to reach your goal, and your actions will always result in different outcomes. Simply fantastic. 10/10.
  71. Oct 14, 2012
    Amazing! For me this is the best game in the last few years! I did not expect that it would delay me so much. But now I'm playing and I can not tear myself away from it.
  72. Oct 14, 2012
    Only few games live up to the hype that has been built around them and Dishonored is one them. Both stealth and combat mechanics are absolute blast to play with and level design makes great use of them. Its lot of fun to jump around the roofs or crawl through sewers as a rat whenever you fell like it, but biggest surprise for me was how incredibly the game looks. Art direction is amazing.Only few games live up to the hype that has been built around them and Dishonored is one them. Both stealth and combat mechanics are absolute blast to play with and level design makes great use of them. Its lot of fun to jump around the roofs or crawl through sewers as a rat whenever you fell like it, but biggest surprise for me was how incredibly the game looks. Art direction is amazing. Characters have memorable faces and stylish clothes. Weapons, buildings, vehicles, everything is extremely well designed and together with rich color pallet create Illusion of city which is dark and corrupt, but is joy to explore. Expand
  73. Apr 15, 2013
    The best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equallyThe best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equally attractive choices.

One of the best games I've ever played.
  74. Sep 24, 2013
    I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It's the perfect blend of Deus Ex and Bioshock, within a detailed, immersive world with its own interesting backstory told throughout the game. Playing as an agressive gunsligner is fun. Playing as a sealthy backstabber/choker is fun. The designers took great care to make both playstyles viable and a blast to play.
  75. Sep 9, 2013
    Unlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. ButUnlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. But why would you? There's a world here, a story here, a living breathing setting that's like an open book. You can breeze through it without a care in the world, or you can peel through the pages one by one carefully absorbing every detail. If you're like me, you fall somewhere in the middle, like an average gamer would. The problem with Dishonored is that it was released too late. Gamers today expect action, linear corridors and lots of hand holding that tell them where to go and what to do. They expect games to keep this hand holding up for hours on end, so they can get their money's worth and call it a day. Dishonored doesn't do that. It's not your babysitter. It throws you into a world and doesn't say a word. You can explore every detail, or you can slaughter everything you see. The playstyles here are endless. Sneak through unseen? Why not slaughter every living creature on a rampage? Choke everyone out? Why not stealthily slit their throats and hide the bodies? Something for everyone, I assure you. Dishonored is a magical game. Almost perfect in the context of "video game". It engages the player to assume the role of a virtual character and interact with a world, it's entertaining and wholesome, you just have to believe it, and then find it. The gamers of today are too used to linear corridors, they should broaden their horizons, explore a little and experiment. I clocked in 25 hours of this game, without the 2 major DLC. With those, you're looking at about another 8 hours each. Dishonored is a terrific, near-perfect game. If the story wasn't complete garbage, it would be the epitome of gaming. Expand
  76. Dec 19, 2012
    I feel that the people who read user reviews on Metacritic are usually casual gamers, as if you want information about the game/mechanics/story you would read a critic. So I think what you are here for is whether or not I feel my money was well spent. I payed $79 for this game, and it was the most enjoyable time I've had with a game all year. Well worth it.
  77. Dec 22, 2012
    Just freaking awesome!

No better games of this genre this year, so much action and intensity throughout the entire game, couldnt get enough of it!!!!!
  78. Nov 30, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've ever played. Great design and gameplay. My only critic is that it gives you the choice of sneaking or killing and then it punishes you for killing... So it won't give you any choice. Other than that I enjoyed the game that is a 10 and I'm looking forward to the next Dishonored!
  79. Oct 10, 2012
    wow!!! is this game good, all the areas are unique and around every corner u spend alot of time exploring areas are geniunly interesting and i havent played a game like that since half life 2 this is definatly a special game buy it without hesitation !
  80. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed outDishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  81. Oct 10, 2012
    I can just say AWESOME!! Gameplay is best; There is lot of powers, items, locations, NPCs and more. The Graphics are good, water effect in PC is so pretty; Actually, Grpahics in PC is best but in conoles not. So good for me cuz i'm playing in PC :D. Musics and asounds are good. So if u looking for GoTY, this is GoTY. Sorry for bad English ;)
  82. Oct 13, 2012
    Very nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. TheVery nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. Its noting like a massive jack of all trades like Skyrim, it is simply the master of sneaking style combat and game play. The game is short and sweet by design, but there's nothing wrong with this type of game if it is a complete and fulfilling experience. Expand
  83. Oct 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a bigOne of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a big red sign "important thing here" will miss most of it, and end up finishing the game in a short time. This is an adult game, with serious themes and it will scratch that special Thief spot in your heart that you didn't feel for a while. It is riddled with thief references ... the sound of coins when you pick them up, the mumbling of the guards on watch duty. The city itself has that weighty, heavy feeling leaning on your shoulders. Art style is beautiful semi-realistic, with slightly over-exaggerated features like limbs and necks. It works perfectly. My advice is just let yourself go in this game, turn off the quest markers and learn about the human misery in the beautiful, fallen Dunwall. Let yourself be immersed and play cat and mouse with your goals and you will have one of the best gaming experiences in years. Expand
  84. Oct 11, 2012
    This game has a lot going for it, but isn't perfect. The game gives the player a lot of freedom in how to deal with a mission. The game's story is somewhat linear, however you do get to make some big choices. The game's strength is in how many branching paths are able to be taken in a mission to get to that somewhat-linear story (an obvious example being the path of stealth versus theThis game has a lot going for it, but isn't perfect. The game gives the player a lot of freedom in how to deal with a mission. The game's story is somewhat linear, however you do get to make some big choices. The game's strength is in how many branching paths are able to be taken in a mission to get to that somewhat-linear story (an obvious example being the path of stealth versus the combative approach; but even within those two broad approaches there are so many different ways to reach the objective), which separates it from a lot of the competition. The Steampunk setting suits the theme of the game. With that said, the game isn't a graphical marvel, but the way the art-style is done makes up for that: in other words, the game doesn't have the graphical fidelity of Battlefield 3 or the Witcher 2, but the Steampunk, gloomy and 'pasty' (don't know how else to describe it!) style more than makes up for it. When you interact with NPC's in dialogue they are always doing something rather than standing still and it is very refreshing to see. For example, quite a lot of characters enjoy having a drink while talking, it's a minor thing but it imports personality into a virtual world. The weapons feel visceral, especially the pistol. Combat is pretty fun, but I always feel more satisfied taking the non-lethal stealth approach (personal preference), and it's incredibly rewarding to do so. Stealth is done very well in Dishonoured: the enemy AI isn't completely retarded, shadows allow you to stay hidden, hiding bodies is just as important as taking down your mark, etc. However the AI has a particular problem with looking up in many situations (I don't think I've ever seen a patrolling guard look up - it would add a significant layer of challenge if they did). The gadgets available are very cool and allow for an array of combinations to do away with enemies, though the possibilities aren't as expansive as to be infinite (however, we'll have to see what the community does -- there's obviously more creative people than myself that will be able to figure out some very interesting combo's) they are definitely there. Additionally, the game allows you to use hazards for your own device (e.g. reprogramming an electrical field to target enemies rather than intruders like yourself). The PC port itself is great: you have a host of options available to you including FOV (it's capped at 85, BUT you can edit the .ini files and increase it further), disabling mouse smoothing (thank GOD, I hated how Skyrim forced it on without a .ini edit), AA (choice of two), re-bindable keys, etc. The menu and hotkey system work well on PC and I'm very happy we get to use the number keys to change through weapons/gadgets instead of having to cycle through them individually, using a radial menu to equip them, or use an inventory screen to equip them. Overall a great game. One caveat however and it relates to the length of the game: If you are a person that DOES NOT like exploration AND would rather blast through the game as quickly as possible then this probably isn't worth your money (get it on sale?). If you rush you're probably only going to get like 5 hours out of it (maybe less?). I took the stealth approach, explored a ton and kept reloading saves to see if I could approach a mission differently, and in the end I clocked up about 14 hours. I'm replaying the game as we speak with a lethal approach to see how the story changes now so there's definite replayability, but my warning still stands: if you are the type of person that doesn't care about testing different approaches to missions, or exploration, or trying both lethal and non-lethal styles then I would avoid this game at full price.I for one wholeheartedly recommend this game. Expand
  85. Oct 15, 2012
    Just started this game yesterday and I LOVE IT! I've always been a big fan of stealth games like Thief, but was missing the action factor. Bethesda really took the best stealth elements from Thief and augmented them with powers and awesome weapons. I highly recommend this to any fans of stealth and action alike.
  86. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game isSimply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  87. Oct 15, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player toDishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun. Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic. Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on. Expand
  88. Oct 13, 2012
    It would be wrong to review this until i've finished it, but my initial IMPRESSION in a 9 after doing the first two main missions. The depth grows as you play through this. But only if you make yourself challenges and dont simply combat your way through it.
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative review of this.. It may just be a troll ;-).. Check their other reviews to make sure.
  89. Oct 17, 2012
    A very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain thatA very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain that much. And i think that this game is kind of easy as well, I played on Very Hard the first time and i had to Quick load and Quick save pretty often because i wanted to experiment with some ways to approach an objective. But other than that the enemies are not that tough and usually you can blink your way out of combat if you so desire. Despite all that, This game rocks! Expand
  90. Oct 10, 2012
    The game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small homeThe game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small home and piece of writing. Listening to the heart haunts the senses and further plunges the owner into the lore in this amazing game. An experience I've had for only a few hours has left me wanting more, and it was well worth the time and money. Story telling rarely presents itself in such an artful and complex manner. I would recommend this to friends and family. The only reason I'm not rating it a 10 is because I'd want my friends to tell me that even though I thought it was good, but they liked it even more :) Expand
  91. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  92. Oct 15, 2012
    I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games,I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games, but Line of sight stealth, its decent, what more could be said. The game also provides you with many different weapons, gadgets and powers to sneak or kill with, its just plain fun, while having a moderate amount of replay-ability. Expand
  93. Oct 10, 2012
    It is a good game. Only thing I don't like is the 85 degree max field of view without unsupported modifications, and of course the unimpressive graphics. Max settings at 2560x1440 it looks like an early release unreal 3 engine game of 5 years ago. There are many unreal 3 engine games with significantly better graphics.
  94. Dec 7, 2012
    Sadly I bought into the hype for this game, again. I never seem to learn. Having had a bit of a hiatus from games for a year the press this game was getting finally got me to dust off my (gaming) mouse and get stuck in. The way the (paid?) reviews talk you'd think this was the second coming, you'd think it was the best game of the last 5 years. Unfortunately it's not. Not even close. OnceSadly I bought into the hype for this game, again. I never seem to learn. Having had a bit of a hiatus from games for a year the press this game was getting finally got me to dust off my (gaming) mouse and get stuck in. The way the (paid?) reviews talk you'd think this was the second coming, you'd think it was the best game of the last 5 years. Unfortunately it's not. Not even close. Once again we find ourselves traipsing through a dreary, hackneyed and clichéd world with everything, and I mean everything, from Game X,Y,Z thrown in for good measure but executed with such dullness that it's hard not to fall asleep while playing. Yes we have the weird bioshock-esque format (that was another over-hyped game in it's day that fell mega short on good gameplay and THIS game is far worse as far as gunplay is concerned) yes we have the dreary Half Life 2 atmosphere (but again nothing has beaten HL2 on that atmosphere yet and this game isn't going to), it even has bits from old cult classics such as 'Undying' in there - you'll know when you get to this (early) part what I mean. The feeling I'm left with is a game trying to be another 5 different games from history, and while it isn't 'bad' it is NOWHERE near these 10/10 'amazing' ratings it is getting! I guess standards have slipped over the years if this is supposed to be the new gaming nirvana? I won't mention any good points - just read the 100+ 10/10 reviews for that. I will mention: Terrible voice acting, static environments, no feel of dynamics to gameplay/gunplay, no sense of pacing, no atmosphere (though it seems to think it has), OLD graphics technology (not even a hint of depth of field, object blur etc all the stuff that is now standard practice, this game art direction aside which is good, looks like a game from 2004!), too MANY pick up items (Bioshock suffered a bit from this but this game is terrible!) TOO MUCH hand holding (every waypoint highlighted by default, every item/gate/door flashing and telling you exactly what you need which leads too...), no sense of self discovery, very linear feeling (the reviews made it sound like and older fashioned GTA done right!?? no way!) Aw man I could go on and on but this game already sucked up enough time from my life that I can never get back, all I'm trying to do is warn others to go in with LOWER expectations than the reviews may give you. It is NOT anywhere near as good as old classics like Theif or Deus Ex were in their day! And It doesn't hold a candle gameplay wise or graphics wise to many other games from the past 5 years. Also the human characters are terrible, poorly proportioned (I get this is part of the art direction), ugly ugly faces (do they have to be?), poor textures, poor lighting. Overall the worst thing for me was the feeling of how static everything seemed, not just the levels but the characters, the gameplay, the conversations... oh man those conversations make the laughable stuff from the adventure game Black Mirror (one) seem like works of art! It just has a very old-fashioned (In a bad way) feel about it. A very average game with a nice enough art direction missing out on what makes games FUN. Others may rate me down, seems people hate criticism about a game they love but sorry, these are my genuine feelings I'm left with from a game that made me feel glad to go play any other game than this! I actually felt depressed while playing the thing! a combination of plodding gameplay and overly linear hand holding. I don't know WHY this game is getting so highly rated but it's a shame if people really are thinking this is the best the industry can achieve in 2012? I have a fast PC have it on full settings (though it is still console nerfed even then) and it does nothing for me. it feels flat and boring. And relies far too much on the cheap version of 'stealth' (basically DO as you are told, and sneak up on everyone - boring, stealth has been done a million times better than this in anything from the uncharted series to splinter cell!) do NOT buy this game if you are hoping for real stealth gameplay that feels visceral and exciting. It's not here. It is by the numbers. The game is decently enough presented with more options than a typical console port at least but I just can't shake the feeling i've played THIS game before, over and over in so many other games that did it first and did it better. I swear you would be better off playing HL2+episodes as old as it is than touching this game. Honest final opinion? I'd rather go read a book! Expand
  95. Jul 2, 2013
    I had previously written a rather middling review for Dishonored, giving it a '6' and calling it barebones with potential. However, since that point, I have come to realize that it is truly one of the most important and artistically driven games in the current state of the industry. Thus, I have returned to revoke my previous statement in exchange for a more positive, enlightened view onI had previously written a rather middling review for Dishonored, giving it a '6' and calling it barebones with potential. However, since that point, I have come to realize that it is truly one of the most important and artistically driven games in the current state of the industry. Thus, I have returned to revoke my previous statement in exchange for a more positive, enlightened view on the game.
    To begin, I would like to state that while Dishonored's core story is still, in my opinion, lacking, its lore and ambiguous backstory is absolutely fascinating, and the setting is rich in history and intrigue. Learning about Dunwall isn't as easy as picking up audio diaries or listening to conversations- you will really need to piece things together and listen to the Heart to build your own impression of what this place truly represents. The main plot remains uninteresting and somewhat half-hearted, but at least enough to keep you going along with each of your little stealthy capers.
    The gameplay- oh, the glorious, glorious gameplay. Dishonored provides so many different organic choices to how you approach its levels that you feel the only way you can do the developers justice is to replay it as many times as possible. Whether it be crawling beneath tables, gunning your way through rooms, or climbing to the highest vantage point, Arkane's gem plays almost unlike any other game this generation. Your actions are performed swiftly and accurately, and for once first-person platforming is executed very well. Violent players will find a number of delightful tools to their exposure, while hardcore stealth veterans will really delve into its Thief-esque non-lethal side.
    Of course, the non-lethal portion of the game is still rather bare in features- I stand by the ideas of being able to shoot sleep darts through keyholes and the ability to tackle enemies in order to knock them out, as well as shadow-based visibility and water arrows. Other sneak-based spells would be highly-appreciated, but it becomes clear the further you play that Arkane clearly intended you to discover stealthy options available with otherwise-violent powers. But even as it stands, I've come to really enjoy the option of knocking out my enemies one by one, stacking them all up in a high perch with the knowledge that they'll all eventually wake up and look around at one another, feeling awkward and terrified.
    Dishonored's visual and level design are also excellent. It does indeed take time to appreciate all of the nuances, but they are there, and you will be happily awarded for relishing in them. The game does an excellent job of providing you with an environment that's a blast to explore but never dives into confusing, labyrinth territories, such as many adventure games with frequent loading screens. Its hub-like areas really help the overall package, as its easy to get the lay of the land and work out your strategies from there. Plenty of nooks and crannies can be exploited for the treasure-hunters out there, which really adds to the game's borderline love-letter degree of inspiration taken from Thief.
    Voice acting is middling to top notch, with Piero being absolutely maddening to listen to, but deep, engaging characters such as Lord Pendleton having real, tangible soul. The sound effects are high-quality work, especially the change in the pitch of sounds when transitioning from Blink or Stop Time. Two major complaints that I originally had with the game do persist, however: the ending is very sudden and unsatisfying, and the lack of a New Game Plus feature is insult to injury. In a game that focuses on collecting upgrades and powers, it seems odd that this was not a no-brainer for Arkane. The already high replay value could have been made limitless if they had continued to stack the levels of bone charms and spells. Of course, these are two of only a handful of blemishes on an otherwise sparkling game. Dishonored should be recognized and praised for being one of the few truly niche games around, aiming for the audience it knows is interested in its concepts and polishing all of those concepts to a fine sheen. Hopefully, for the sequel, Arkane will up the intrigue, go open-world, and further increase the arsenal of powers, weapons, and sneaking moves at your hands.
  96. Jan 27, 2013
    Oh my Dishonored, what a great game. I think it's safe to say that this game surprised us all and probably the most unique game we got from 2012. Loved the level design and game play with the added bonus of choosing your own game playing style. This was worth every penny and look forward to seeing more from this franchise.
  97. Mar 8, 2013
    As to be expected, the good or stealth play through is pretty boring. I like it because it is my playstyle. The bad or kill all enemies play style is much more enjoyable. There are vastly more animations for killing people than choking them from behind. I like the style of the game. It averages at 50fps on my i5 and HD 5770 graphics card.
  98. Jun 18, 2013
    Options, you have surprising amount of them on your way through levels and that makes the gameplay really refreshing and standing out of modern linear games. Cool mechanics like teleportation and possession are helping the most in that regard. Cool chaos mechanic changes the ending and the state of the world you are in. (if you kill more people there will be more guards, more dead people,Options, you have surprising amount of them on your way through levels and that makes the gameplay really refreshing and standing out of modern linear games. Cool mechanics like teleportation and possession are helping the most in that regard. Cool chaos mechanic changes the ending and the state of the world you are in. (if you kill more people there will be more guards, more dead people, more plague, more abominations). Original character design. Very nice game. Expand
  99. May 18, 2014
    I've spent about 58 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill every foe you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, allI've spent about 58 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill every foe you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-on (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  100. Jun 11, 2014
    This is one of the most groundbreaking games ever made!

Pros:
    Excellent Visuals
    Strong Gameplay
    Moral Choice System
    Steampunk Setting Mastered

Cons:
    Ending(s)

Overall, this game will blow your mind!

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]