8.3

1. May 9, 2013
    The best game I've played in almost 8 years. The art style is wonderful, the story is gripping, and the controls are very fluid. It's also an amazing PC game, the options menu is plentiful and the controls are spot on, i experienced about 2 or 3 bugs, none of which were game breaking and never had a problem with the controls. There is so much depth and lore poured into this game, it's hard not to get pulled in. I loved it. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    Great job Arkane Studios!!! Let me start by admitting that Dishonored is not a flawless game. The AI and the stealth system could use some improvement (better overall AI, and a stealth system more similar to Thief's Dark Engine). The game has great art design and story (a little bit predictable, but still good...). The music and sound effect are really good. The city of Dunwall, which is modeled after late 1800s-early 1900s London and Edinburgh is just amazing!!! The world of Dishonored is rich and complex.

I enjoyed the non-linear and flexible maps, and the different powers the player can upgrade during the campaign! That adds a lot of replay value to the game!

I wish there have been more weapons in the game...
    A Great overall game!!!
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    Dishonored is amazing game that has amazing elements of other games that i really love super powers like bioshock stealth mechanics like thief and great combat system somehow like assassin's creed giving you the ultimate game with interesting story and great replay ability as it has multiple endings i could easily say it is one of the best games of 2012
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    Just finished playing GOTY edition of the game and it was great, I don't have much to complain about. You can try either a stealth or more hands on approach (lethal or non-lethal) and it works both ways. The game leaves it up to you to find many creative ways of neutralizing enemies and it affects how it all ends. Story is nothing new really just your typically save the day lazy story that you find everywhere but it works I suppose. The 2 story DLC's are also very good. Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant game. Combines intuitive mechanics and exciting gameplay with an enthralling story and strong graphics, Everything a game should be. This comes very highly recommended.
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    Dishonored features a great environment. The city of Dunwall is well built and the graphic style works well. Gameplay suffers somewhat from linearity both in the story and in the missions, but this is saved by the fun of the various gadgets and powers which grant the player a lot of ways to "mess about" in the levels. I don't really see the plot to be that weak, or the levels to be too small. The game feels and plays like a pretty GOOD console port. Definitely worth buying and a couple of play-throughs. While nothing is really outstanding or surprising, it's a solid game with an interesting setting and definitely will give some good memories. Expand
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is the best fps action game I have played in a long time. I do not understand what made Bioshock Infinite out-score this game. Gameplay, story, and progression are much better here, though Bioshock gets credit for its completely unique world. The only thing I can really complain about, which is minor, were inaccessible rooftops. This game really catered to my roof-hopping fantasies, so when an inaccessible roof was encountered, I would get annoyed. When I completed the game I was not itching for more, so it will not receive a 10/10 from me, but I am still very eager for a sequel. Expand
  8. Jul 5, 2013
    I will preface this with the fact that I am a big stealth/action story driven game fan. Dishonored is an incredible game in many ways. The lore of the world that Arkane has created is deep and well fleshed out in this moderately long gem. There were times where I would do a beautiful stealth run and the next mission blow it but recover and simply go about killing and giving up much of the stealth approach. The game leans toward a more stealthy and non-lethal approach with the level of chaos determining just how rough the world is for you to survive.

The graphics are gorgeous and the art style is very Steam Punk, which I happen to enjoy. Corvo is unfortunately a silent protagonist which is a shame but I can live with it. The story is deep and VERY dark. Well written dialogue and limited but impactful cut scenes really help to carry the story without getting in the way.

If you like gadgets, a sort of limited magic, stealth and action with a design that allows for either or both within a single mission and a truly unique and engaging but not very attractive grungy steam punk world you will love Dunwall and enjoy Corvo and all that Dishonored has to offer.

At this point you can find Dishonored for as little as $24 and its a steal. There are only 9 missions but I played it and completed all of the optional mission objectives and got 21 hours of solid play time.
  9. May 13, 2014
    First off, I do want to say that I love the world that they've created - the locations, the characters (some are admittedly shallow/bland), the lore/history. I found myself wrapped up in it. Although admittedly the whole "Outsider" thing is very... odd. The graphics and the sounds are good enough too. Yes, this type of plot has been done before, but why is that considered such a bad thing to warrant such a low score? How many movies, shows, books, and songs have the same themes and storylines over and over and over again?

Second, while this is dubbed as a stealth action game, I do have to admit that the options for stealth are fairly limited (mostly blink+choke or blink+avoid or maybe a sleep dart here and there). Plus you really can go around running and gunning, although on the harder difficulties that's obviously more of a challenge to do. However, I still found myself enjoying the gameplay and I don't think it's bad but I don't think it's great either. It's definitely not as complex as you would think.

Third, I do have gripes about the game although they're relatively minor. My biggest gripe would have to be the lack of options for equipment. You're basically stuck with a sword, a pistol, and a crossbow. I'm a sucker for new items and equipment in games so I was somewhat disappointed when I found that you don't use anything other than those three main items. Of course, there's the whole magic component, but that's a different matter.

Honestly, for all those people asking for something completely new or different, I wish you the best of luck. Those games are rare for a reason: coming up with completely new material that not only works well but sells well is extremely difficult nowadays. Not to mention all you whiners about "they stole this from that game" etc etc... you do realize that every single step of progress humanity has ever made was because of "stolen" ideas/material from what we've done in the past?

Overall, I enjoyed this game. While not a perfect 10, it's a solid albeit short game and one that I'd recommend to my friends.
  10. Oct 15, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun. Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic. Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on. Expand
  11. Jan 21, 2014
    Based in a fictional setting of Dunwall, Dishonored tells us an interesting story of political corruption, betrayal, oppression and resistance, and of course lots and lots of death, whether it’s at the hands of the plague or the never-ending conflict that goes on. The immersive setting and nice story-telling are then assisted with gameplay that gives the player a chance to tackle every challenge in their own way.

What I greatly enjoyed about Dishonored is the diversity in which it allows you to approach its challenges. It’s a similar style of gameplay as the Deus Ex games. The player can go in with stealth, or they can go guns blazing, or maybe to try some diplomacy, or even to mix and match all of those. Even the primary targets can be handled in ways other than violence. That’s right – it is possible to complete the game without killing any major antagonist.

Depending on how the player handles each mission, they will acquire either high chaos or low chaos. Being merciful, using non-lethal ways of taking down regular enemies, and not triggering alarms all lead to low chaos, which in turn leads to a good ending. The opposite leads to high chaos and hence a bad ending. This greatly adds to the replayability of the game and makes it interesting to complete it at least twice.

Apart from standard weapons and equipment used in each mission, the player also learns supernatural powers throughout the gameplay. They can do so by acquiring special runes which are found in many areas of the game. Many of these powers are very interesting and provide excellent opportunities to try out new and creative ways of getting past a challenge at hand. Perhaps the most commonly used power is Blink, which allows the player to quickly teleport short distances from one cover to another, which is extremely useful for stealthy gameplay. There are several great powers to use, but the ones that stood out the most to me were Possession, which allows the protagonist to possess rats and other small animals and to get through small crawlspaces this way, Dark Vision, which allows the player to see nearby enemies through walls, and Bend Time, with which the player can temporarily slow, and with an upgrade completely stop, the time.

There are few minor things to criticise about Dishonored, like the lack of ways to take out the enemies non-lethally (sleep darts and upclose seem like the only ways), or how sometimes enemy AI and behaviour can be a bit unpredictable. The ending also felt a bit rushed, but once I got to the end of the game, I realised that it’s not so much the ending that’s important in games like these, but the journey itself. All those are just small drawbacks and were nothing compared to the unforgettable experience the game as a whole provided to me. A single playthrough may go for only 15-20 hours, but each minute of that playthrough keeps you fully immersed in the game’s rich and somewhat gloomy steampunk setting, not to mention its great replay value.
  12. Nov 3, 2012
    Varying situations, non-linear levels with more than two options, loads of ways to eliminate your targets - all of this basically makes Dishonored an exemplary stealth-action game. When I saw the trailers, I expected it to be some kind of a first-person Assassin's Creed, but I was wrong - the game itself is closer to the Hitman series - it's not open-world, but each level is a sandbox where you are free to do whatever you wish. The tools of the trade are pretty damn impressive - you'll have a lot of fun combining the teleportation, time stopping and possession. Dishonored's only flaws are its shortness and the main plot. First one is neglected by the game's replay value - you'll definitely want to use all the gadgets and adopt the aggressive playstyle after you beat the game in a semi-nonlethal way. The quite lame plot is a bigger problem - the twists (the only one, actually) is predictable, and the whole story is too cliche and serves merely as a connection between the missions themselves. Which is a shame, because Dishonored is set in a very well-detailed world with its own mythology. Arkane Studios 's Dishonored is probably the only original (not a sequel, not licenced, not a reboot) AAA title this year, it delivers a refreshing experience, doesn't put the player in any limits and is overall a great game. Don't miss this out. Expand
  13. Dec 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games of 2012. Simple incredible, almost perfect. Plot gripped me from the very beginning. Amazing combat and especially stealth system. Try hardest difficulty with no kill anyone. Also try to gather all coins in the game it was very hard and very entertaining!
    The only thing that saddened me is the ending feel quite empty and does not explain anything. Anyways,
    the game is great, I am waiting for DH2 Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  15. Jun 23, 2014
    Excellent stealth dystopia. SCORE 95/100. Steampunk dystopian Hitman Absolution. That, by the way, makes for an awesome game. Superb controls, good RPG upgrade system, extremely cool story, and graphics that still look great almost 2 years later. If you like Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Hitman, Thief, Bioshock, Deus Ex, or Tomb Raider - then you will think this game is simply a masterpiece. You will not soon forget it. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2012
    Dishonored's beautifully designed world makes an unforgettable experience to all gamers, and the bloody, fun ,mostly-stealth gameplay is extremely polished. Maybe the story is a bit dull, but still the game manages a great gameplay.
  17. Aug 8, 2013
    An amazing game. Stealth, action and narrative are all top notch here, Having played through the base game I literally can't understand some of these low score reviews they make no sense to me. The combat is fluid and with the various magic powers at your disposal, fun and varied. The stealth works intuitively and is one of the better examples of the genre. The world is amazing and deeply intriguing, if the game has a flaw it is compared to how interesting the world is some of the characters seem shallow and that at some points near the end the games limited funding shows (but just barely)

I usually reserve a 10 for games I feel people are unfairly bashing en-mass. Not so this time, a true gem of a game definitely worth experiencing.
  18. Mar 14, 2013
    this game is solid,interesting and fun.bethesda has done a great job(again).the gameplay is good and fun.the graphics are good.the sthealth is very good.this game is the best game of 2012.
  19. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by the industrial revolution era, but with some fantasy and sci fi aspects that is simply amazing to explore. Characters are at their worst completely believable plot devices, and at their best mesmerizing performances and dialogues. Third it is a game about refined art. Yes you read well. For example the music was written by Dexter's composer Daniel Licht. If you know Dexter, you know what I mean. Graphics are extremely refined, even in the brutal bloody executions. Clearly this game is targeted at an adult audience. Sadly I don't think that most people will be able to appreciate how good this game is. It is simply a masterpiece that will be remembered for the years to come. Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  22. Aug 21, 2013
    A surprisingly good game. I was afraid of sneaking and those sneak-achievements, but after playing a while, it became a nice experience. Now, I can hardly imagine to play it violently.

The graphics is acceptable, the mechanics is good and the music is non-intrusive, except when it sounds too similar to the "you have been detected" sound. The music brought up some nice Fallout 3/NW
    memories.

One thing I kind of missed is the in-game progress on the collectibles and kill/detected counts; the collectibles show up temporarily, but the counts are shown only between missions, that is, hourly long missions.

Once played through, the locations can be easily memorized; in a achievement-hunter-friendly way, but what annoyed me somewhat were the unskippable boat-landing sequences.

I would give it 8.5
  23. May 4, 2013
    one of the best games ever!!!!!! this is just a perfect game. everything in this game is done great. the story is great. you really care for the characters and you do want to get your revenge. the gameplay is amazing. its hard to describe the greatness of the gameplay. the gameplay is really unique. the good thing about the gameplay is that you can play how you want. you can be sneaky, but if you want you can also kill everyone face to face. there are also multiple ways to do everything. there are a lot of paths to get to your objective. there also a lot of ways to do your objectives. the powers in the game are really fun and useful. the sidequests in the game are really fun and cool and its a blast to do them.
    the game looks amazing. from a technical perspective it isnt impresive but the art style is so good that it makes up for it. the city where the game happens is called dunwall, and its amazing. there wasnt a game location as good as this since bioshock. dunwall is amazing and beatiful, and it has a lot of detail put into it.
    this is maybe the best game ever!!!!!!! if you cal yourself a gamer you should definetly try it!!!!!!!
  24. CBZ
    Oct 16, 2012
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Its fun to go through the maps in different ways and find all the different paths to achieve the objectives.
    The environment is very original and maps have many options despite the linear structure.
    Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is
    average at most but I expect the hard setting to be better.
    Some people are being too harsh, probably because they had such high expectations.
  25. Aug 7, 2013
    Let me start off by saying that Dishonored is a masterpiece among all the lame & bore 12 hour RPG first person games in 2012.

The graphics in this game is 'OK'. If you have played BioShock Infinite, it is definitely noticeable that there is a small graphical boost with the UE3 that Dishonored also uses. But not much. People who are too obsessed with in-game graphics, this might not be a
    game for you.

The plot of the entire story is well landed out. But what I didn't liked about it is during the cut scenes, the protagonist is muted during the entire story. Whereas in Infinite, Booker talks almost all the time in the game.

The stealth mechanics of Dishonored is somewhat bland and definitely needs more variety of skills powers. The game also does reward the player for completing different puzzles in order to obtain the hidden runes bone charms. Aside from these two relatively negative points of the game, the game is perfect.

Lastly, for the price, this game definitely worth 10 bucks during its peak sale discount of 66% on Steam, big steal. Even for 30 bucks, it is still worth getting. Knife of Dunwall is superb, and is kind of the only DLC that is worth. Runes, money can be obtained through using a Cheat Engine. So the extra coins from the Void Walker's arsenal is useless. Dunwall City Trials isn't fun either.

One of the best RPG I've ever played. Hope Arkane and Bethesda keeps up the good work and land in a Dishonored 2 asap!

(Seriously, if you have high hopes for EVERY SINGLE video game, you shouldn't be playing them at all. That being said, I never trust any critics but myself, by trying out the game)
  26. Jan 18, 2014
    [DISHONORED SteamPC Score10] One of the best games I have ever played. Play as a Master Assassin and Bodyguard framed for the death of the Queen. Get thrown into the dungeon, escape, take revenge. Play with Stealth or Action, Level up and choose Skills for Magic and others. Released Oct 2012 and played 9 months later. Add to cart with all the DLC. Enjoy this game smoothie….

[DRM] Steam
    only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title, nor Uplay, nor Origin. I did not have to create an alternative account.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[NowPlaying] BrokenAge [MyFavorites] [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born 1964 I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  27. Oct 21, 2012
    DIshonored is a curious game. It promotes itself as an open world FP-action-stealth-RPG with a deep plot but at the end of the day after the 20 or so hours it took me to complete the game, I was impressed by it for other reasons. Firstly, the stealth element is mediocre at best, mimicking stealth mechanics of modern action titles such as Deus Ex and the Elder Scrolls. The climbing mechanic is definitely one of the best Ive seen in recently years with EVERY obstacle able to be climbed over/ascend onto in first-person. No more of the **** 'Oh this ledge is too high, my character cant reach it coz they jump liek they're toddlers' or 'Oh noes I cant get overt this barrier coz my character cant jump high enough'. Its called using your bloody hands and body. And finally, Dishonored showed us that. I am crying with happiness.
    Oh yes, they managed to make both the stealth and all-guns-blazing approach satisfying, which is a plus as most modern games of such manner would only reward players who chose the stealth path. The excellent plotline, the world, NPCs and superb voiceacting are also highlights. The ending to the game is nothing sort of heartwarming (though this depends on your choices in the game) and this does not mean its a happy ending (depends on you interpret it - I say its a happy ending despite what happens). The cons? Its not open world. Thats right. They lied to us. Essentially there are NINE missions, each with a large area to complete objectives. Its not an open world sense like Deus Ex. There are no hubs to visit, no cities to explore or locations to be discovered. You're essentially handed the area for each mission and through their open yet linear multiple pathways, you proceed, overcome and complete your objectives. Oh and did I mention its pretty short? I finished this game in a little bit over 20 hours and that's only because I actually did every single side-quest as well as found almost every collectable in every mission as well as listened/engages in every dialogue possible. If you rush, you can finish the game under 10 hours (a player on steam forums completed the game in 7 hours). Dishonored is an experience. You play it. You finish it. You probably will play it again just to see how things will pan out differently. And then you probably wont touch it again. But you'll still think it was worth it, the money well spent. An excellent, well-rounded title that deserves your attention.
  28. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or you can be a ruthless assassin that leaves none alive. Also, this game has a lot of replay value, you can complete the game numerous times and not get tired of it. Expand
  29. May 2, 2013
    You have to play this game at least twice to really maximize gameplay experience. It's a bit limited in that once you complete a mission you can't return to that section of town to continue exploring or get any treasure left behind, however, the game is very tactical and thoroughly enjoyable.
  30. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic game. Real gem.

+story, atmosphere, design (of everything from costumes to levels),gameplay, world changes and reacts to your actions (reminds me of first Deus Ex).

-sometimes too easy with all the powers player have
  31. Jan 7, 2013
    Nearly a perfect execution for this genre (Superpower FPS like Bioshock or Crysis). Borrows heavily from some of the best games of the past 10 years. Artistic style inspired by Borderlands, superpower system inspired by Bioshock, architecture...think Victorian Half-Life 2. Allows you to play in a way that suits you, but primarily limited to stealth/non-lethal and aggressive/lethal. Aggressive approach can be a bit too easy and one-note. Stealth can get frustrating at times when the availability of take-downs gets nit-picky about exact position relative to adversaries and makes you feel more like an assassin robot than a fluid ninja. It was entertaining enough that after first completion (stealth/good guy) I immediately started my second play-through (aggressive/bad guy). Doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but brings some polish to some old and proven elements. Expand
  32. Feb 7, 2013
    This game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for it or watch a spoiler (I suggest you don't). If your someone looking for some single player excitement then this is the right game for you. Expand
  33. sft
    Aug 11, 2014
    There’s a rat in the kitchen -- and everywhere else

I loved this game and can find only one fault with it (more about that later). Arkane Studios have created a compelling game that ticks just about all the right boxes for me. It looks great, with very striking design and a unique painterly style. The city of Dunwall is beautifully realised and is a joy to explore. The gameplay
    successfully fuses the use of powers and weapons and the choice between stealth and combat is nicely balanced. The mission design is quite varied and allows for a number of ways to complete each one, thus offering decent replay value. The voice acting is always convincing, thanks to a star-studded cast, and the story is reasonable, although not strikingly original. Where it falls short is in the level of humour. Aside from one amusing line about someone not wearing pants I don’t recall there being many laughs along the way. And that’s a shame, because if not for the lack of humour I would have given DISHONORED a full score. Expand
  34. Jul 19, 2014
    A FUN stealth game, reminds a lot of the Thief series, very nice graphics, nice worlds and the City of Dunwall is fantastic although there is a little gloomy side of the city considering the plague... BUT! A fantastic game, very good work on behalf of Arkane Studios
  35. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  36. Apr 15, 2014
    Perfect. Chapters are sewn together seamlessly. The stealth was enough to take you biting your nails. The nonlinear ending was also good, making it a replayable game. Simply perfect.
  37. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a nice atmosphere/sound effects/music, the problem with this game is just that it isn't challenging enough... you start the game and the first few levels feel awe-inspiring, but once you realise the terrible limits of the vision of the AI you really are too overpowered for any mission without getting a single upgrade. (And the upgrades are lots of fun, but they make the game become a theme park rather than the gruesome travesty that the story seems to think you are in). Still I highly recommend it. I don't know what my GOTY for 2012 is going to be, so this could still be it, but Dishonored 2 on UE4 or some other engine would just about blow my socks off. Please make it happen Arkane :) Expand
  38. Mar 2, 2013
    Probably best game i have been playing last time. This awesome piece of software is no way near Bioshock like some people say. It feels more like mix of Dark Messsiah and Thief with its own great atmosphere and creative level design. Cartoon-like graphics isn't brilliant but definitely stylish. Simple story isn't about revenge cold served only. Noticeable moral choices make gameplay even more interesting. Summary: there is no perfect game and Dishonored was made as good as could be made. Developers efforts are visible and should be appreciated. Expand
  39. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  40. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  41. Oct 10, 2012
    wow!!! is this game good, all the areas are unique and around every corner u spend alot of time exploring areas are geniunly interesting and i havent played a game like that since half life 2 this is definatly a special game buy it without hesitation !
  42. Apr 13, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Everything in it is so great that You would like to spend with it every single minute of Your free time. Music, plot, climate, NPC, main character are awesome. It is only a peaty that game isn't very long. If You ever imagined what will come from matching Bioshock and Deus Ex You don't have to do this anymore, because answer is simple Dishonored.
  43. Nov 9, 2013
    I cannot deny my love for this game, and it's been a long time coming for a review. Also, I am not being paid to do favorable reviews FOR ANY GAME. That is the most garbage, disgustingly cynical, and annoying thing any gamer would think about other people. It's strange too, because Dishonored is exactly what cynical gamers wanted, but apparently even that is not good enough, so let them drown in their own sea of irony they created themselves by crying about how games are awful now compared to retro or older games. Moronic retro hippies, gosh darn it! I bet if this was a sidescroller pixel game, they'd think it was amazing. Idiots.

Alright, now I got that off of my chest, let's talk Dishonored. I had this game for awhile already, but it earns some of my highest accolades for being the only stealth game I enjoy immensely. I don't like stealth games, for the most part, but this somehow reeled me in. First, I was immediately drawn in by the beautifully rendered setting. A dark sort of steampunk setting where instead of steam as a powersource, it's whale oil. Within this setting, you have absolute freedom to choose where you want to go, and when. There are hidden items everywhere in these places, and loot lovers like me eat that right up! However, it is mostly in a controlled, smaller environment that never feels too linear. Each mission within these areas can be completed in any way you want as you have so many awesome abilities, equipment, and accessories to help you with them. The combat is annoying and honestly far too difficult, even with my favorite spell, Slow Time, but you have that choice! I just hope you find a better way to deal with foes if you want to go on a murder spree. Otherwise, prepare for annoying cheapshots every second during combat!

Also, your choices do matter in these environments. It makes you think hard about killing, and whether or not it is the right thing to do. You can change the course of the game by these decisions, with some choices causing more of the zombies called "Weepers" to appear in later areas, or security to greatly tighten in other areas. Each area, by the way, being a mission. But even then, you can take a break from the tough decision making and go on plenty of side missions, which is an awesome bonus! You can even spend your hard earned money on upgrades, which is also great as well. I am a fan of that kind of game mechanic!

Anyways, Dishonored, as well as all of its DLC, is amazing. If you don't like it, then so be it. Just be careful, because Corvo might be in the dark, waiting to punish the haters.
  44. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  45. Dec 25, 2012
    After the first hour of this game, I was very disappointed. I thought it was tedious, linear, and a complete waste of money. The trailers and and media made it seem as if the game was nonlinear and offered freedom of choice; indeed, one trailer even made it look like there'd be parkour involved. I was quite excited, and after playing through the beginning, I found the reality to be utterly disgraceful. Boring, easy enemies and a completely linear path made the gameplay a grind. Intrusive objective markers and a huge HUD floated on my screen, and poor controls made me wonder if this was really a terrible console port.

However, since I try to withhold judgment on games until I've played for at least two or three hours, I kept playing. Shortly after the first hour, the game really opened up quickly. I started discovering how useful the jump/grab system was, and I started getting into the meat of Dishonored. I messed around in the options menu, and realized I could turn off the bits of the HUD that I didn't like. I mapped the misplaced block key to one of my gaming mouse thumb buttons, which really helped the gameplay. I got out of the beginner phase, and realized the game is far from linear. Deus Ex is similar, but Dishonored is actually more open, with more realistic ways to climb over stuff in the environment.

There's no parkour, sadly, but Dishonored comes very close. You have a long reach when jumping, and you can pull yourself fluidly up on almost any plausible surface. The combat is a little sluggish, but it's nowhere near as bad as Deus Ex or Killzone 2 in that regard. Both of those are great games in their own right, but I don't think anyone could play them without thinking that the combat is kind of unresponsive.

About an hour into the game, you get into areas with a lot of alternate paths. Really, I don't even want to call them paths. You're set loose in a city district, and you can jump, slide, and climb your way to most areas within the district. You generally hold a sword in one hand and a special weapon like a pistol, crossbow, tool, or spell in the other hand.

The graphics are decidedly meh. The art direction is good, and they make use of lighting effects such as ambient occlusion and sun shafts, but overall the polygon counts and texture resolutions are a little on the low side. Having said that, most of the time the game is really quite pretty, though I don't think it ever really looks realistic. It's easy to run smoothly as well, and that's not just because of the mediocre graphics. It's well optimized, like most Unreal 3 Engine games are, and my GTX 460 and Phenom II x4 run it well above 60 fps on ultra at 1080p.

So, in short, if you only play the first hour or two of this game, you'll probably be disgusted. The tutorial and beginner mission is really not interesting at all, and it makes the game seem like a generic, linear stealth shooter. If you play past the first hour or two, however, Dishonored becomes awesome, and completely lives up to the trailers and hype. There are relatively wide and unique open areas, the lore becomes interesting, and the stealth is world-class. I'm very glad I didn't ditch the game after the first hour, because it has a real shot at becoming my favorite game ever. I deduct one point because the intro is lackluster, and it probably turns off a lot of people since it's not an accurate representation of the game. Arkane should probably work on their first impressions. Everything of theirs that I've played since Arx Fatalis has had a very weak first hour.
  46. Oct 17, 2012
    This game has so many moving parts, I am amazed it came together as well as it did. Arkane's pedigree didn't exactly leave me high in expectation. They delivered with some beautiful, understated art, characters and setting I remember after putting the mouse down hours later, and greatest off all, a set of abilities and options that are all handled with a fine degree of precision. In the span of 4 seconds, I can teleport to the top of a fire escape, leap down and silently snuff the life out of one poor soul, then subdue his partner, while maybe alerting three other soldiers. You can then decide to stop time, assassinating all three with your blade/pistol/crossbow, create a gust of wind to knock them all back, or simply cook a grenade to explode in their faces. The moment to moment action is an interlocking chain of checks and balances. My only possible gripe with the encounters is that later on (After 'the twist') the player is forced by sheer design of some of the foes into a more deliberate and brutal (and less creative) form of interactive expression. On the whole, a fantastic new IP, one I hope to see more of. Expand
  47. Oct 24, 2012
    I was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, although a little washed out looking. But when they tell you you will not be seen while leaning, it's a lie. Because I did so many times. Of course it has its kinks and its bugs, but what game doesn't? Whether Bethesda decides to make a sequel to this or leave it as a stand-alone game, I will be happy either way. I can't wait for the DLC! Expand
  48. Jun 25, 2014
    Dishonored has been one of my favourite gaming experience. The story and the gameplay will change with your way of dealing with the enemies, which adds a replay value for those interested, and the special powers are very well integrated in the story.

The music is perfect, from the trailer to the last song of the game, making the atmosphere very dark and spooky

Never have I been so
    implicated in a storyline. I mean I REALLY wanted to kill the bad guys and I even realized at the end that I had just killed everyone in a rage run at some point, although I started the game all stealthy "because I was a good guy". The story really made me change my character's personality, and that's why I give a 9.5 to this game

The last 0.5 would have gone the a longer storyline. I think the story could have been longer, and the "special power" part a bit more developed.

Conclusion : A game for thieves and for warriors too, a fantastic journey in a dark world. Get it for nearly nothing on Steam !
  49. Nov 1, 2012
    Buy this game. In short, it's Thief + Bioshock in a steampunk City 17. The stealth and world navigation is sufficiently challenging and rewarding. The combat flows well, even in large melees, with the omnipresent option to go non-lethal. The highly explorable areas are excellently done, with only a few sharp edges left unpolished in the later levels. There aren't points at which you're forced to stop and take a look at the beautiful place you're sneaking/slashing through, but dang there should be! I only ever encountered one major visual glitch, which was my held weapon staying in view when I used the mask's zoom on one level. The story is original with some generic features that are masterfully implemented so as not to draw attention to themselves, thus keeping it all cohesive. On the downside there, I felt the Outsider was a weak plot device used as a writer's convenience, which is closely connected to my feelings about the ending which didn't meet the expectations set up by the rest of the game, dropping my rating by one measly point (well, half a point, all things considered). Beyond that, the only pet peeve I had with the game was the fact that doors must finish opening to be closed again. And if that's all I had to complain about while progressing through this magnificently constructed world described in Deus Ex fashion, this game is truly one of the greats. Again, buy it. Expand
  50. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game at all, i played it like three times in all the levels for check out what was different and of course the DLCs were so cool the whole story is just incredible...hope we'll get another DLC like the last one.
  52. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is FANTASTIC! great gameplay story but the graphics are a little too outdated but you can pick this game up at gamestop for about 29.99$ which is not that bad.
  53. Oct 17, 2012
    A very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain that much. And i think that this game is kind of easy as well, I played on Very Hard the first time and i had to Quick load and Quick save pretty often because i wanted to experiment with some ways to approach an objective. But other than that the enemies are not that tough and usually you can blink your way out of combat if you so desire. Despite all that, This game rocks! Expand
  54. May 18, 2014
    I've spent about 58 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill every foe you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-on (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  55. Jul 20, 2013
    I honestly thought 2012 was a bad year in gaming, but I explored some additional releases that slipped by me recently, and Dishonored left me astonished with its phenomenal gameplay, an engrossing story and some unforgettable characters. The silent protagonist Corvo, the innocent little Emily, and the spooky Outsider are some remarkably interesting characters. Unfortunately though, that’s where the list of memorable characters ends. There’s no distinguishable antagonist and we’re given little to no background information on Corvo’s assassination targets. Besides the bizarre chaos system, the gameplay feels like a hybrid of Deus Ex and Bioshock, and it’s literally flawless. Gameplay is very smooth and hotkeys allow fluid transitions between secondary weapons/powers during combat. Players can collect unique equipment called bone charms and use them to fit their playing style.

Throughout the game, I was reluctant to kill *everyone* because not all of Corvo’s targets were necessarily evil and corrupt aristocrats, so I wanted to deviate from the ordinary assassination tactic, and thanks to Dishonored’s versatile gameplay mechanics, I got to. During a mission, you’re given “Lethal” and “Non-Lethal” methods of dealing with your target. In addition to the replay value, the versatile gameplay mechanics immerses you into Dishonored and enhances its story.

The chaos system itself isn’t the problem, it’s how this new feature was implemented into the game. Simply killing a hostile enemy will raise the overall chaos rating and ultimately make Dunwall a gloomier city. It’s not necessarily “difficult” to maintain a low chaos rating, but I did pass up on some awesome combat opportunities in effort to keep my chaos rating at bay. Fortunately, Dishonored gives the player leeway and won’t punish you for taking advantage of some fun assassination opportunities.
  56. Dec 21, 2012
    The best stealth game ever!
    I'll explain why: The world is so dark and refined, the story is strong, the graphics are just awesome the controls are solid it has an unique game play!
    Its possibly one of the best (or maybe the best ) games in 2012.
    If you haven't played it yet you should quickly! Because I'll follow you home, and KILL YOU!
    Nah just kidding but seriously...PLAY IT! NOW!
  57. Oct 12, 2012
    I have nothing but praise for this game, but first, I have something to say addressing other reviewers' complaints:
    If the game was too short, you were doing something terribly, terribly wrong. My thorough (lethal) playthrough took me about 16 hours, doing all the sidequests, tracking down as much of the gold and as many of the runes and whale-bone charms as I could. I can only imagine
    it'd be much longer if you went non-lethal.
    Now, to the actual review.
    Graphics: Using a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, Dishonored portrays the steampunk city of Dunwall with a style and flair that hooked me instantly. The models and textures are as high-resolution as a PC gamer could ask for, and the unique shaders and strong, hard shadows conveyed a strong, graphic novel-esque sense of visual atmosphere. The world's grim visual glory was even further enhanced by the spectacular art direction, taking queues from Half-Life 2 and blending that aesthetic with elements lifted from steampunk subculture to create a unique, rich, and enthralling visual experience. 9/10.
    Gameplay: It's difficult to address the gameplay and story separately, as the two are inexorably intertwined, but I'll do my best. Missions fling you into vast, open environments littered with hidden nooks and crannies, open windows, and rooftops just begging to be explored and immersed in. As you explore, you come across runes, coins, and whale bone charms. Runes are used to unlock elements of a supernatural toolkit, handing you various new strategies with which to engage in combat or exploration, but never overwhelming you with too much at once. Coins are used to purchase upgrades to your more physical gadgets, such as new lenses for your clockwork mask, or an automatic reloading system for your hand crossbow. And lastly, whale bone charms are equipped to give you small perks of a sort, such as gaining token amounts of health from drinking water, or swinging your sword slightly more quickly. Charms are randomized as well, so you'll rarely find one in the same place between playthroughs. Taking the elements the game gives you and combining them is where the real gold is, and every solution you come up with is something you created, not you being funneled through a narrow pathway or being told to do things a very specific way, as is common with modern games. This isn't a game where you're disappointed by hitting yet another invisible wall - this is a game where you're thrilled by discovering that yes, that did, in fact, work. 10/10.
    Story: And this is where the game truly gets into its stride, and this surprised me. Before I played the game, I was expecting a thrilling experience, not really a complex story, or good characterization. Dishonored had the courtesy to hand me everything. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the story is intense and emotional, despite the fact that it can only really be advanced between missions. But it's not the pre-set story that's the best element here, no... it's how the player's actions impact the curve of events. The game gives you tools of death; it gives you a pistol and crossbow, it gives you mines that fling razor-sharp shrapnel in a metallic tornado, it gives you a power that summons a swarm of ravenous plague rats, but it also gives you a warning: if you take too many lives, the story, characters, world, and even you will change for the worse. Many disregard the warning, much like I did... and were left distraught when, at the very end, the game solemnly held up a mirror. There are games with intense stories and endings that make you tear up, but there is NOTHING as harsh as this. Games like Mass Effect or Spec Ops: The Line, as much as you can impact events in the former, are sending you along a predetermined path. The ending isn't a product of your actions - it's simply affected by them. When Dishonored came to a conclusion, I knew that all the horrible things that had happened were MY fault, not because I'd been forced to take lives, but because I'd CHOSEN to. 10/10.
    Conclusion: Dishonored was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. This game is a work of art, and you owe it to yourself to play it any way you can. It doesn't matter what the magazines say, this is my game of the year without a moment's thought.
  58. Dec 6, 2013
    For Dishonored if you run through the area stabbing everyone you see you are playing the game entirely wrong Dishonored is a game that wants you to take your time instead of running in through the front entrance of a building you can choose to go in stealthily in some levels of the game there are almost 10 different ways of going in for example you can use possession on an animal (or human) and sneak in through an air duct or you can use teleportation to climb the building itself.

Dishonored also holds a trait on how skilful you are at holding the urge to kill someone who is really annoying your way through you can basically go through the whole game without killing a single person doing this can produce a better outcome at the end of the game.

Dishonored itself is different because instead of awarding you for killing people and completing the game it gives you consequences, its a smart system that will change how you will think the next time you will play.

Dishonored is a masterpiece and will keep you occupied for well over 50 hours.
  59. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing game, marred by some TINY flaws. First of all, the game's video and audio are fantastic. Although the graphics leave something to be desired, the art style makes up for it and makes the world feel alive and unique. The sound effects are great, and the music is extremely immersible and sets the mood of many locations and levels extremely well.

The gameplay is absolutely
    brilliant. Controls are responsive and won't make you feel sluggish. The abilities and weapons in the game, although relatively lacking in variety, are just enough to make you feel powerful. On the "parkour" side of the game, the mechanics are extremely well made, and also fairly simple, although blinking onto ledges is sometimes strangely annoying. Exploring the various routes to an objective and exploring the levels to find hidden items is fun and rewarding. Combat and stealth is extremely satisfying, with weapons that feel like they have weight and power, and stealth mechanics that, although quite simple, is still extremely fun. The world is filled with books and "audiograph" machines, which helps bring the immersion to another level. NPCs will continuously talk to each and often reveal information about the game-world and also about your objectives.

On the story-side of things, although the game is fairly lean on story-telling, the story still comes from very well. The characters also gain much more depth when you talk to them directly, and also when you use the heart to discover more about them. Although I'd rather have had a longer ending instead of just a short cinematic, at the end of it all, you feel like you've truly accomplished something. The game also doesn't explain some of the other questions raised as well. What exactly was the heart? Who, or what, was the Outsider. Why the hell is Granny Rags so strange? What happens to many of the characters and targets that aren't shown in the ending? The ending, although satisfying, feels rushed.

Overall, it was a extremely satisfying and immersible experience. The only flaws were some of the things that I mentioned, and also the fact that the levels are relatively linear, but they still feel open with lots space to play your way. If you want a quality game with great immersion and gameplay, this is it.
  60. Oct 10, 2012
    It is a good game. Only thing I don't like is the 85 degree max field of view without unsupported modifications, and of course the unimpressive graphics. Max settings at 2560x1440 it looks like an early release unreal 3 engine game of 5 years ago. There are many unreal 3 engine games with significantly better graphics.
  61. Oct 1, 2013
    Dishonored is the best stealth-game available. It also have a very cool steam-punk setting and nice rpg-elements.The story is ok, but the missions the story provide a backdrop for are excellent.
  62. Jul 18, 2014
    What a great game. I love it that I was given the choice to avoid killing, and I made it all the way through my first run without killing a single person. I sat down for my next run, intending to try the game with a different tack... and still didn't kill anyone. It just didn't make sense that a man who was trying to prove his innocence of one murder would kill other people in that process, and the game's ability to answer that throws a harsh light on so many other redemption stories in which more killing is mandatory.

The AI is not the best, to say the least, which is problematic for a stealth game. In some ways, their predictable natures and poor decision-making skills makes the NPCs into useful opponents; you can watch their patterns and wait for your moment. However, this does knock you out of the game a little bit and makes the clockwork of the game too apparent when it should be invisible, and it also diminishes your own feelings of smartness when you outwit these stupid guards.

Another downside is that in order to connect with the story, you have to scour every area and find some essential messages that are hidden behind secret walls. It would be very easy not to see some vital story notes even if you were being pretty careful about hunting around, and that's a problem. We're looking at a game which, although environments have many branches, are mostly quite tight pathways within themselves. I guess that these little gems were hidden away with the expectation that almost all players would be motivated to hunt them all, but my conversations with many Dishonored players proves otherwise - I knew many things that they did not.

Overall though, this is a great game with a new movement mechanic, and the DLC is for once not only good but essential - some of the best moments of the game are inside that extra content.
  63. Feb 16, 2013
    Lots of fun and replayability, although I wish the main story were longer. The primary strength of this game is the ability of the player to complete tasks in a variety of ways. Want to play it as an action game? Run in guns blazing and use your powers mid combat to teleport around like a bad ass. Want to play it stealthy? Go for it. Sneak around and knock out your opponents without ever letting them fire a shot. Multiple angels of approach, should I climb that building or take that tunnel? RPG customization of powers and abilities along with difficult achievements for the hardcore make this overall an excellent experience. Expand
  64. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  65. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  66. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play
    throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  67. Nov 13, 2012
    For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink' ability but they were few and far between and didn't tarnish my enjoyable experience. Thoroughly worth spending a few of your hard earned pennies on Expand
  68. Sep 24, 2013
    I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It's the perfect blend of Deus Ex and Bioshock, within a detailed, immersive world with its own interesting backstory told throughout the game. Playing as an agressive gunsligner is fun. Playing as a sealthy backstabber/choker is fun. The designers took great care to make both playstyles viable and a blast to play.
  69. Vex
    Jul 27, 2013
    Easily one of the best stealth FPS games I've played in years. Unlike predictable on-rails shooters that seem to be everywhere these days, this game provides you with amazing freedom as to how to approach various situations and problems. Want to go in guns blazing and destroying your enemies by invoking swarms of rats that are going to eat them alive? No problem. Want to possess a fish in a river and enter the complex through the sewer system? The game supports that. There is an enormous amount of latitude the player is allowed when it comes to dealing with various scenarios.

The writing is really good and the storyline has some awesome twists and turns. The game employs the so called "chaos system" that keeps track of how much chaos you inflict on the world and dynamically adjusts the way the world responds to your actions. If you murder a lot of people, there are going to be more rats, plague, violent responses from guards and the world is just going to be a more miserable place. If you take a more merciful approach, it leads to a more stable world. What you do in the world also determines what game ending you will get.

The music and art are superb and really contribute to the feeling of being in a dystopic steampunk world overrun by plague and oppressive government.

If you liked Deus Ex Human Revolution, you don't want to miss out on this game.
  70. Dec 7, 2013
    Dishonored is one of the most thrilling games I have ever played. There are different ways to complete the game. Stealth, assassinating, or both. Dishonored is my game of the year.
  71. Mar 2, 2014
    I love this game.

I've played through it 3 times in full, and plan to play all the DLC as well. The world it's in, the experience of choosing revenge or rising above, the variety of fun "toys" with which to take down foes...it all adds up to a great game.

I own both the pc and the ps3 version (well I gave the ps3 to a friend, but wanted to play it again and got the pc version) and
    I'd say the pc is slightly (but only slightly) inferior to to ps3. I almost always prefer games on pc, but in this case, I've noticed the gameplay is ever so slightly less smooth.

Rare for me, if you have both a pc and a ps3, buy the ps3 version...but if no ps3, don't hesitate for a second to buy it on pc. It's a wonderful game.
  72. Oct 15, 2012
    After the flop of ME3, for me this is the game of the year. Usually I trust more the users reviews than the paid ones, but here, I thing 8.5 is not correct. This is one of the best games of all time. I love it as I loved Deus ex 1.
    When I first saw its trailer I knew that if it comes out like that and if it isn't vaporware, it's my game. And it did come out like that. And better. So what
    I like about it: 1. the design. The looks are amazing, it has a french touch. Look at the painted textures, the hands of the models, their anatomy, the drawings on the walls, the backgrounds. I'm in the field of graphic design and this game is visually stunning, it has character and THAT'S RARE, I can tell you. 2. the gameplay - draws me in. I'm free to do what I want. Deus ex HR should have been like this (there I always felt walking in a tube). I usually don't like sneak only games, but here I enjoy that part, too. 3 NO BOSSES - at last. We're not 4 year olds to swallow the same game system on and on again - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level... I don't feel the console here, this isn't a console port for god sake. 4. Atmosphere - If you run through the game you miss the game - wait, eavesdrop, sneak, read, listen, collect, look around and a new world opens up, this game has a distinct atmosphere like the biggest games of all times - HL2, Skyrim, ME 1-2, Fallout 3 and so on. 5. The engine - Crysis was one of the best looking games of all times, but even now, 5 years after it's release, you need a bumped up machine to max it out - as programming it was a joke. I can make a game look like Avatar only it would take 2 month for a single frame... Not here. My fps never dropped below 25, and I mean never... Usually between 35-50 - and I play it on my laptop (!).
    Arkane Studios is now one of my favourite developers - french touch FTW :). I liked Arx Fatalis, but never finished, same with Dark Messiah. But this is their masterpiece. If they don't get too greedy (a thing that plagues the gaming industry nowadays - ME3, Diablo3, etc), I'll be waiting for any new games they release.
    I wanted to give this game a 9 (it has minor, minor annoyances), but that wouldn't be correct, this is a 10 game, if you don't know why you miss something. I would give it 11 if I could (+1 for no bosses :) )
  73. Jul 25, 2013
    Really, really good game. Be creative with your approach to the objective. Be stealthy and non-lethal or highly lethal playthrough, but with various tactics and weapons, traps, etc.
  74. Aug 21, 2013
    Dishonored all in all is a well built game. At first it seems like it would be more fun to go through the game killing with all your fun little killing tools but when you try to go through the game without killing anyone or being detected it suddenly becomes more challenging and more fun. The stealth works well, so does the combat. There are plenty of side routes and options to take. The story's a bit predictable but it's not the worst I've seen.

In the end 9/10. A very good use of your money.
  75. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  76. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  77. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  78. Nov 15, 2012
    At the time of writing I have 106 games on Steam AFTER being a console gamer since the birth of them - please believe me when I say that this is (for me) simply the best game released up to this point on this planet.
    Graphics are lovely, controls are solid and fluid, story is epic, world is beautiful...I could go on and on.
    To give maybe purchasers my opinion on what you are getting
    would be to most closely associate with Bioshock. It has that kind of feel about it but with a bit of Thief and Splinter Cell thrown in for good measure.
    There are so many worse things you could do with you hard earned money - but not a lot better - trust me. A solid 9.5 pushing a 10 (always room for a pinch more). This is up with the Skyrims of this world as a masterpiece
  79. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  80. Dec 21, 2012
    Ever since I became an adult, I've seen games for what they are, but primarily focus on the gameplay. 2012 was a really **** year as a gamer. I mean, REALLY ****. I thought I became cynical like Stan on that one episode of South Park. Then I see Dishonored comes out, and very quickly picked it up for 50% off on a Steam sale. Holy **** **** do I love this game. There's so many different ways you can approach this game: killing people, sneaking around, knocking them unconscious; so many side-quests/optional stuff to do, so many collectables, customization, oh god is there a lot to do. It does have a few small flaws though, like Blinking all over the place (Blink really shouldn't have been in the game, or at least made way less powerful), and the story is just so... bleh. Having the rat plague was just dumb to me, and essentially, the Story and overpowered Blink is what keeps this game from getting a 10 from me, but don't let those two minor things stop you from playing what is most definitely the best game of 2012. With all the other garbage that's come out this year, this game TOTALLY deserves the GOTY 2012 award. Expand
  81. Jan 20, 2013
    Dishonored .... what an awesome game it's like a combination of Bioshock and AC3 making this into a FPS in a strange world of magic and chaos. It also has that Deus ex stealth experience or you just can kill everybody that comes in your way.
  82. Jun 18, 2013
    Options, you have surprising amount of them on your way through levels and that makes the gameplay really refreshing and standing out of modern linear games. Cool mechanics like teleportation and possession are helping the most in that regard. Cool chaos mechanic changes the ending and the state of the world you are in. (if you kill more people there will be more guards, more dead people, more plague, more abominations). Original character design. Very nice game. Expand
  83. Sep 3, 2014
    Best stealth game in years, great level design and honestly it needs a damn sequel already, I hope that Arkane or Bethesda announces Dishonored 2 soon, i'd be one happy gamer.
  84. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is to choke (Not do-able in combat) use sleep dart( which is almost ineffective in combat). There needs to be more ways to knock people out, and make people be able do it in combat. Combat is great, so are graphics. Expand
  85. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  86. Dec 19, 2012
    I feel that the people who read user reviews on Metacritic are usually casual gamers, as if you want information about the game/mechanics/story you would read a critic. So I think what you are here for is whether or not I feel my money was well spent. I payed $79 for this game, and it was the most enjoyable time I've had with a game all year. Well worth it.
  87. Feb 13, 2013
    Dishonored is best described as a combination of Tenchu, Fallout and Splinter Cell yes, it's a technological ninja RPG. It is easily one of the best games to come out for PC this year. The graphics are not up to snuff for a PC title though. Otherwise I would have given this game a 10.
  88. Mar 6, 2013
    Overall an awesome game that has this slight Half Life 2 feel to it because it has these huge walls blocking your way just like in HL2 and sometimes you can hear sounds in the background that sound very similar to some of the background sounds in HL2.
    Graphics are pretty and nice to look at. Environments are very detailed and just look amazing. There are plenty of places to explore and
    there are some little side quests you can do. Game mechanics mostly feel solid but teleporting does not want to work every time the way you want it to work. Sword fighting can be bit frustraiting because enemys tend to block your hits quite well and there are some enemys who become immune to your sword for a few seconds when they block.
    It is very easy to sneak around. AI seems to be blind in some cases and they don't see you when your above their heads.
    Story was good but nothing amazing
    Well... It would of been nicer if it had slightly bigger world and you had more freedom like you have in GTA or Assassins Creed but overall it was a nice experience and definitely one of the best games of 2012.
  89. Aug 30, 2013
    Dishonored is absolutely great piece of work and I really can't understand how it's possible that someone can give this game a mark lower than 7. The only 1 thing I don't like is game's length. It's short and took me something like 15 hours. Of course we can pass the level again and again. There are many different ways we can pass this game and that's the biggest advantage.
  90. Jun 11, 2014
    This is one of the most groundbreaking games ever made!

Pros:
    Excellent Visuals
    Strong Gameplay
    Moral Choice System
    Steampunk Setting Mastered

Cons:
    Ending(s)

Overall, this game will blow your mind!
  91. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  92. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  93. Oct 12, 2012
    A nice and solid game, still wonder how can someone rate a game bad if he/she rushed through it (5 hours? that's damn rushing).
    This isn't a "pure" fps, nor some Assassin's Creed clone, is closer to an RPG than many might think. (even thou it isn't an rgp).
    Someone complains about the setting/lore/story, have you tried to read the books and notes? or to listen to the audiographs? Sure
    the story might have been better and looks like they had to cut it, namely the end is a bit "rushed out", but still if all you care about is killing guards etc you are missing the point of the game.
    "oh my gawd this sport car sucks, took me only 1 hour to get to desto and the landscape was blurry"
    The journey is the reward not the goal. ;)
  94. Dec 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. the gameplay is a blast, there are many ways to go about each level, good progression and a compelling story. The ending is a little "meh", being a lame slideshow of half a dozen~ "what happened in the years to come" images. The game is also a tad easy unless you take the stealth/no kill approach, even on hard difficulty. Don't let that discourage you from the game, however. You will fully enjoy this game and almost everything it has to offer. Even hunting for bone charms for upgrades, or doing petty side quests, are entertaining and not so overly out-of-the-way that they take away from the experience. 9/10, would've gotten a 10 if the ending was on par with the rest of the game, but in all fairness, not many games being put out have very good endings, not even the great games like Dishonored. Expand
  95. Dec 3, 2012
    It is a good game that is in line with much of my thoughts.Indeed im looking for a game just like it:better a huge world(although the dunwall city can not be called big),the several ways to complete the quests for players to choose freely(here i have sth. to say,since the game developers come up with this cool idea the collection of coins is not very good,u know i have to seek everywhere to find those coins,that is somewhat insane) ,and a story has connotation.To the other developers i think the last point is the hardest except Rockstars,2K games,and bethesda.But the styles of the other 2 companies are not correspond to the sneak games and their games lack degrees of freedom somewhat.
    I'm really looking forward to the sequels of dishonored and bethesda thinks too.Oh,thats really cool!Forgive me for the poor english as im a chinese.
  96. Jul 23, 2013
    An absolute 10; best game I've ever played.
    My game style: I love playing spy in TF2, I like Portal, and I like some elements of Hitman. This game has all those elements and then some. Thank you to the team who built this piece of art, a lot of thought was put into everything, the powers, the maps, etc.. .it is VERY well thought out and the user experience is greatly benefited from
    this.
    It was easily the most immersive gaming experience I've had, this was the first time I played a game and felt like I really was there, especially the mansions. The art direction was done so well, I took my time in some maps just to admire the buildings, they were so fun to explore (I only wish more variety in the paintings, why would there be copies of the same painting in one mansion?). And I love that there's secrets to find, the maps can often be done however you want, stealth or guns blazing you are not forced to play a certain way, while not open world, it's certainly not rigid linear.
    The game took me about 9 hours to beat. I have started the DLCs and they are already worth getting. I hope they produce more and hope there is some sort of sequel. I would actually recommend playing the City Trials DLC FIRST so you understand how the powers work and know which ones you want to upgrade, if I had known I would have played it a little differently.
    My only regret is that I waited for this to come on sale, it's worth the full price, don't wait!!
  97. Sep 9, 2013
    Unlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. But why would you? There's a world here, a story here, a living breathing setting that's like an open book. You can breeze through it without a care in the world, or you can peel through the pages one by one carefully absorbing every detail. If you're like me, you fall somewhere in the middle, like an average gamer would. The problem with Dishonored is that it was released too late. Gamers today expect action, linear corridors and lots of hand holding that tell them where to go and what to do. They expect games to keep this hand holding up for hours on end, so they can get their money's worth and call it a day. Dishonored doesn't do that. It's not your babysitter. It throws you into a world and doesn't say a word. You can explore every detail, or you can slaughter everything you see. The playstyles here are endless. Sneak through unseen? Why not slaughter every living creature on a rampage? Choke everyone out? Why not stealthily slit their throats and hide the bodies? Something for everyone, I assure you. Dishonored is a magical game. Almost perfect in the context of "video game". It engages the player to assume the role of a virtual character and interact with a world, it's entertaining and wholesome, you just have to believe it, and then find it. The gamers of today are too used to linear corridors, they should broaden their horizons, explore a little and experiment. I clocked in 25 hours of this game, without the 2 major DLC. With those, you're looking at about another 8 hours each. Dishonored is a terrific, near-perfect game. If the story wasn't complete garbage, it would be the epitome of gaming. Expand
  98. Nov 19, 2012
    Once again, I am appaled by the seemingly rediculous amount of negative reviews the PC version got compared to the console versions. It is set in stone that the PC crowd in general seems to be a whiny bunch of elitist piss pants, that would go and vote 10 for an obscure indie game and give a mainstream game a zero, just because it's mainstream. This is a truly great game, with one of it's only faults being it's short length.How could people say it's unoriginal? What other FPS/Steampunk/Assassination games have you guys played? The combat is very fluid and challenging if you get a couple enemies at once (I played on Hard). The enemies don't take turns attacking (Assassin's Creed) and block and counter your attacks well. Each mission can be approached in a variety of ways, you can choose the non-lethal route, the stealth assassin route, or the kill everything that moves route. Obviously, you can have a mix of all three. The powers, for the most part, are fun to use and have more utility than first meets the eye. For instance, you can freeze time just as a guard shoots, then mind control the guard, move him in front of the bullet path and then press play. PC gamers are such a whiny dissatisfied bunch that it makes me ashamed to say I love gaming on the PC the most. No wonder developer's don't focus on the PC anymore, they have spoiled **** to deal with. Expand
  99. Jan 4, 2013
    Amazing game. I like the visuals, I like the voice acting, I like the plot, I like the killing animations. I like to be a puppeteer. I can choose if I want to be an angel of death or mercy. I never felt so much like an assassin in a game ever before. I like eavesdropping on my enemies. I like using my powers because they are actually useful. I like experimenting with my weapons and pushing my skills to the limit. I like Dishonored. Expand
  100. Jun 2, 2014
    Dishonest is one of those rare games that appears out of nowhere and does almost everything right. From the amazing characters and script, to the beautiful art style and environments. The true achievement of this game was its ability to fully immerse me into its character rich world, filled with unique game-play and ever so amazing stealth mechanics. Not many 1st person games have made think about the consequences of my actions.
    There are multiple endings to this game; depending of course, what path you choose to take.

Action, mixed with stealth and puzzles a plenty. Dishonest has achieved to find the correct balance, that so many games fail to capture, while being able to offer a great story.

If your growing ever tired of the annual onslaught of military shooters being offered; Dishonest may be just the game you have been looking for. Especially if you looking for something a little more cerebral.

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]