8.3

1. Oct 20, 2012
    Dishonored is a game that excels in many aspects, and although the plot is nothing more complicated than Mario games, it is still able to involve you with its rich and intriguing narrative. The gameplay, albeit too easy at times, is always fun and truly emphasizes the idea of playing a game in any way you want. The art direction is one of the most gritty and original since Half-Life 2, and certain areas in the game look like true works of art. The gameplay adds and improves upon everything that was present in games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, such as looting, swordplay and enemy AI. Unlike what some people may say, Dishonored doesn't necessarily punish you for assassinating people, as long as you make a couple of humane choices and refrain from going out of your way to kill every enemy you come across. The cast of characters are all interesting, and all interact with you in unique and different ways, allowing you to interpret their intentions and get involved in the story as it plays out. The only drawbacks for me was that I felt a bit overpowered at times, and I didn't feel that certain abilities and upgrades were made in such a way that they were a necessity - an experienced player would likely be able to finish the game without any. I also felt the ending could have provided more closure after countless hours of expectations as you involve yourself in the story - depending on what decisions you make throughout. Then again, this is a game set in a world that is yours to play with and approach in your own way, so its up to you to make the most out of it by focusing on the journey, not the destination. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by the industrial revolution era, but with some fantasy and sci fi aspects that is simply amazing to explore. Characters are at their worst completely believable plot devices, and at their best mesmerizing performances and dialogues. Third it is a game about refined art. Yes you read well. For example the music was written by Dexter's composer Daniel Licht. If you know Dexter, you know what I mean. Graphics are extremely refined, even in the brutal bloody executions. Clearly this game is targeted at an adult audience. Sadly I don't think that most people will be able to appreciate how good this game is. It is simply a masterpiece that will be remembered for the years to come. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    Excellent stealth dystopia. SCORE 95/100. Steampunk dystopian Hitman Absolution. That, by the way, makes for an awesome game. Superb controls, good RPG upgrade system, extremely cool story, and graphics that still look great almost 2 years later. If you like Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Hitman, Thief, Bioshock, Deus Ex, or Tomb Raider - then you will think this game is simply a masterpiece. You will not soon forget it. Expand
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    It would be wrong to review this until i've finished it, but my initial IMPRESSION in a 9 after doing the first two main missions. The depth grows as you play through this. But only if you make yourself challenges and dont simply combat your way through it.
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative
    review of this.. It may just be a troll ;-).. Check their other reviews to make sure. Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  8. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a nice atmosphere/sound effects/music, the problem with this game is just that it isn't challenging enough... you start the game and the first few levels feel awe-inspiring, but once you realise the terrible limits of the vision of the AI you really are too overpowered for any mission without getting a single upgrade. (And the upgrades are lots of fun, but they make the game become a theme park rather than the gruesome travesty that the story seems to think you are in). Still I highly recommend it. I don't know what my GOTY for 2012 is going to be, so this could still be it, but Dishonored 2 on UE4 or some other engine would just about blow my socks off. Please make it happen Arkane :) Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  10. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  11. Apr 15, 2013
    The best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equally attractive choices.

One of the best games I've ever played.
  12. Oct 13, 2012
    Fun game with an original setting. But let down by short campaign and graphics which have been ported straight to from console (so they look very dated on PC).

It's a bit like a cross between thief, bioshock and assassins creed, but without the depth of them. It's worth an 7 or 8, but not a 10.
  13. Nov 16, 2012
    It took me awhile to get into this game. The first two missions were meh and I hate the Unreal graphics engine - the gfx look about 10 years old in some ways. However, the game really picks up afterwards. The plot was very interesting and it was all around a good stealth shooter.
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  15. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a great adventure. From start to finish, the game packs an incredible amount of action and stealth that can perfectly be mixed up to a point where you swap from one to another nicely with no interference.

The game puts you in the place of a betrayed guardian who is entitled to work out his reputation back by helping the rebellion to rescue the empress daughter, and to take back the throne. Most (if not all) of the missions encompass a set of goals, which ultimately take you to the assassination of a key character. At the end, you're an assassin, and killing is a key gameplay part of this game.

Though this could be considered as repetitive at first, the game's design and plot makes it pretty interesting and worth to look out, specially considering all the ways you have at your disposal to achieve your goal, and Bethesda has proven that they are very skilled at providing a good dose of variety for this.

Although the story is somewhat empty at first, evolving along the main character is a rewarding experience, just as much as the silent kills. Using the special powers is a very entertaining feat, and the AI is well-developed, responsive and interactive at any given time.

In resume, I have found that Dishonored is a great experience for the fans of Splinter Cell, Thief, Deus Ex and the Matrix, and it packs enough action to get FPS fans into its arena, and enough creativity to entertain while never disappointing. If you have yet to play it, go and grab a copy. You won't regret it.
  16. Oct 17, 2012
    For a mid-teir game, the mechanics and gameplay are serviceable. But it is only a mid-teir game, so don't expect greatness there. For this to be a worthwhile game, the art design and story have to be very good. The art design, albeit very low rez, is excellent. Moody and distinctive, it had the potential to really suck me in.
    The story and dialog, however, are terrible. Cliche, piled
    on top of trope, pilied on top of cardboard character. Then there is the fact that it treats the player like he/she is an idiot mongoloid. Do we really need to be told half a dozen times "you are brave and our only hope, you must save the empresses daughter from Darth Bowser." There is nothing to discover, because the game is afraid that you will miss something if it isn't spelled out in CAPITAL BOLD LETTERS twenty times. And can we please quit with the constant monologuing (see The Incredibles movie). Oh, and lest I forget, there is Zelda level holdhanding with the constant 'helpful' popups. Expand
  17. Oct 13, 2012
    Very nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. Its noting like a massive jack of all trades like Skyrim, it is simply the master of sneaking style combat and game play. The game is short and sweet by design, but there's nothing wrong with this type of game if it is a complete and fulfilling experience. Expand
  18. Jan 10, 2013
    This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.

The Good:
    The voice acting is quite superb. The game creators got very good cast together to deliver some very good dialogue.

The overall feel of the in-game universe comes across quite well, especially during the first few missions. I recall that Viktor Antonov, one of the guys who designed the art behind of Half Life 2, designed the overall feel of Dishonored, and this feeling is pervasive through the game. The tone and mood of the environment come across very starkly to the player, and this adds to the immersion of the game, and contributes to feeling like you're actually in a real dystopian steam-punk world, not unlike Half-Life 2.

The Bad:
    The gameplay is weak. This was a difficult observation to make based on the great overall feel of the universe. This game manages to combine a masterful universe with mediocre gameplay, and gameplay that belies the mastery of the in-game universe. This contrast is quite jarring at times.

The control system was clearly no optimized for PC play. The game is nothing like Batman: Arkham City, where clear effort and time went into a PC input scheme to optimize the play for the PC players. With the plethora of powers and abilities that the character has access to, it would stand to reason that some powers could be directly mappable to the keyboard. This is not the case: the character may only use one power at a time (and this includes some of the less-active powers, such as dark vision and blink, and have the sword out all the time. This becomes awkward in certain non-aggressive missions when having your weapons out is quite silly, and could have been solved with a better keyboard mapping system, and a little bit of time spent optimizing the controls for PC play.

The plot is terrible. I won't give any spoilers, but if you have half a brain you should figure out exactly what is going to happen by the end of the first mission set. This game fails to surprise, but that alone does not condemn the plot. It failed to be unsurprising in a passably interesting manner.

The game feels incomplete, and there is not enough game, especially for a $60 big-production title. This is to say, it's way to damn short, and it moves far too quickly. I have the distinct feeling that this game was intended to be about twice or three times as long, and then got pushed out to sell the title more quickly.

For an example of this incompleteness. The first mission is amazing. Several side missions, tons of content, many paths to victory, later on this is simply not the case. The mission maps become increasingly linear, boring, and lack the side content of the first few missions.

Overall:

Play it when its $20-30 or wait for something better. This game surfers from a serious lack of game time, and a rushed plot. 9 missions is simply not enough. With so many ways to play this game it could have been much longer without getting boring since there is always more than three ways to accomplish the mission objectives. The controls are frustrating, and combat is utterly trivial. This game survives a failing rating due to its excellent "feel," but suffers critically from a lack of in-game substance, insufficient storyline, control issues, and mediocre game-play at best. This game has potential, but we'll never know unless they release a SDK or something where players can add mod content, but I wouldn't hold out for that.
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    all i can say is meh. the graphics are circa 2009 and the pc port looks terrible. it just does. Unreal Engine 3 shows many signs of wear. the gameplay feels like thief + assassins creed in first person. the game is not a true open world fps, where the "open" element exists within the confined areas you are given to do missions. i felt on a rail the entire game. item finding to build powers makes it feel like sleeping dogs. there is no sense of vulnerability in Dishonored game. i never once felt threatened by anything that attacked me due to the overpowering abilities i had. to add to that, the A.I. is pretty horrific. its great to have alot of options when you want to kill people, but what is the point if they are just cannon fodder and stupid as bricks. its like wayne gretzky playing in the minor leagues. dialogue is nothing more than scripted cutscenes with no choice from the player. really hate to say it, but i feel let down. Expand
  20. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem,
    journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  21. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  23. Oct 14, 2012
    Picked up this game without watching any trailers and the moment I got the controls, Skyrim and Thief: Deadly Shadows popped up in my head like a prostitute wearing a party hat out of a cake. While by no means lacking in quality, the graphics are great, (For PC) story is decent and the game offers new ways to explore the sneaking-around genre with various "magic" abilities. The lacking parts however, are quite severe. The more people you kill, the worse ending you'll get and you cannot render enemies unconscious in combat by say, a club weapon or with the hilt of your sword but you must instead strangle them from behind (while undetected) or shoot expensive "Sleeping" bolts into their faces (In which you can only carry a maximum of 10 with upgrades). Challenge or not, you'll be extremely disappointed at the moments you simply must kill to progress in missions (Some allow a non-lethal approach but you'll still draw blood on some), leaving any kind of 100% perfect play-through impossible. I found myself just running through the entire game by repeatedly gulping down mana potions and stopping time because rendering enemies unconscious was an insane bother, like having to ride a unicycle up a mountain instead of taking the sky-lift. For sh!t and giggles, i went ahead and took Hardcore on my second play-through and wouldn't you know it, the game is still dirt-easy. Sadly a flaw that will forever appear in console-ports like this even if they do a good job with most of the stuff, the rest will be sticking out like a huge pimple. Expand
  24. Oct 17, 2012
    kind of really really really buggy. just a quick warning to you PC lot. if you have an AIT card, have fun fixing the pile of bugs. if you brought it on steam, have fun. if the game crashes outdated could save files will overwrite you newer local save files and if you own this game on any other two formats, have fun, as, its actually a really really really good game. buggy as a bethesda title (oh wait, it is a bethesda title :P ) but still has some good soul. hopefuly when its fixed i can enjoy it in all its glory, but for now, ATi and steam users beware.

as for an actual review, i may update this, if not, just check the date of my review. if its more than 1 month old, its probarbly fixed, my reveiw is invalid and should be reported for spam, removed and my bias annoying comments purged, as this review is based on the day 1 release game, not a (hopefuly) patched on (BUT ONLY FLAG IT AS SPAM WHEN ITS BEEN A MONTH!!!!)
  25. Nov 9, 2013
    I cannot deny my love for this game, and it's been a long time coming for a review. Also, I am not being paid to do favorable reviews FOR ANY GAME. That is the most garbage, disgustingly cynical, and annoying thing any gamer would think about other people. It's strange too, because Dishonored is exactly what cynical gamers wanted, but apparently even that is not good enough, so let them drown in their own sea of irony they created themselves by crying about how games are awful now compared to retro or older games. Moronic retro hippies, gosh darn it! I bet if this was a sidescroller pixel game, they'd think it was amazing. Idiots.

Alright, now I got that off of my chest, let's talk Dishonored. I had this game for awhile already, but it earns some of my highest accolades for being the only stealth game I enjoy immensely. I don't like stealth games, for the most part, but this somehow reeled me in. First, I was immediately drawn in by the beautifully rendered setting. A dark sort of steampunk setting where instead of steam as a powersource, it's whale oil. Within this setting, you have absolute freedom to choose where you want to go, and when. There are hidden items everywhere in these places, and loot lovers like me eat that right up! However, it is mostly in a controlled, smaller environment that never feels too linear. Each mission within these areas can be completed in any way you want as you have so many awesome abilities, equipment, and accessories to help you with them. The combat is annoying and honestly far too difficult, even with my favorite spell, Slow Time, but you have that choice! I just hope you find a better way to deal with foes if you want to go on a murder spree. Otherwise, prepare for annoying cheapshots every second during combat!

Also, your choices do matter in these environments. It makes you think hard about killing, and whether or not it is the right thing to do. You can change the course of the game by these decisions, with some choices causing more of the zombies called "Weepers" to appear in later areas, or security to greatly tighten in other areas. Each area, by the way, being a mission. But even then, you can take a break from the tough decision making and go on plenty of side missions, which is an awesome bonus! You can even spend your hard earned money on upgrades, which is also great as well. I am a fan of that kind of game mechanic!

Anyways, Dishonored, as well as all of its DLC, is amazing. If you don't like it, then so be it. Just be careful, because Corvo might be in the dark, waiting to punish the haters.
  26. CBZ
    Oct 16, 2012
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Its fun to go through the maps in different ways and find all the different paths to achieve the objectives.
    The environment is very original and maps have many options despite the linear structure.
    Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is
    average at most but I expect the hard setting to be better.
    Some people are being too harsh, probably because they had such high expectations.
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    It's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the setting is impressive and it gives you a good start, but once you get accustomed to these factors you start looking for more. That Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    Although not a horrific game, I think this is a step back for the "Deus Ex genre" - or whatever you want to call it. A hybrid of stealth and action - the action falls flat. You can run and gun in this game, but there's no omph to it. It's on par with the original Deus Ex in terms of pure gunplay. Or, maybe that's too generous - Deus Ex gives you a wide array of weapons over a decade ago. In Dishonored, you have three kinds of bolts to hurl with your tiny dart-slinger, and a shabby pistol. Action just isn't there, with gameplay revolving around running straight at enemies, using up your small ammunition stockpile, and then chugging mana potions while you hurl rats and wind about. There's very little to engage you, as most of the levels are extremely linear if you choose to take the action route. ||| The stealth side of things is better than I was expecting, but most of the depth of stealth is lost thanks to Blink. Granted, you can choose not to use the spell, but the stealth is balanced around it. And choosing not to use it simply makes every level a chore. In Deus Ex, sneaking involves passing through guard patrols, crawling through vents, utilizing security systems, and hacking. In Dishonored, stealth is patiently waiting about for your enemies to turn their heads toward the sea for a moment and seldom more than that. Occasionally you encounter a security system you need to bypass, but the ways of approaching those security systems involve blink, at least until you can slow down time. ||| What I'm trying to imply is that the depth of choice in Dishonored falls a little flat. It's easy to see that they tried, but the most striking failure of Dishonored is its lame level design. For a game as short as it is ( Expand
  29. Jul 20, 2013
    I honestly thought 2012 was a bad year in gaming, but I explored some additional releases that slipped by me recently, and Dishonored left me astonished with its phenomenal gameplay, an engrossing story and some unforgettable characters. The silent protagonist Corvo, the innocent little Emily, and the spooky Outsider are some remarkably interesting characters. Unfortunately though, that’s where the list of memorable characters ends. There’s no distinguishable antagonist and we’re given little to no background information on Corvo’s assassination targets. Besides the bizarre chaos system, the gameplay feels like a hybrid of Deus Ex and Bioshock, and it’s literally flawless. Gameplay is very smooth and hotkeys allow fluid transitions between secondary weapons/powers during combat. Players can collect unique equipment called bone charms and use them to fit their playing style.

Throughout the game, I was reluctant to kill *everyone* because not all of Corvo’s targets were necessarily evil and corrupt aristocrats, so I wanted to deviate from the ordinary assassination tactic, and thanks to Dishonored’s versatile gameplay mechanics, I got to. During a mission, you’re given “Lethal” and “Non-Lethal” methods of dealing with your target. In addition to the replay value, the versatile gameplay mechanics immerses you into Dishonored and enhances its story.

The chaos system itself isn’t the problem, it’s how this new feature was implemented into the game. Simply killing a hostile enemy will raise the overall chaos rating and ultimately make Dunwall a gloomier city. It’s not necessarily “difficult” to maintain a low chaos rating, but I did pass up on some awesome combat opportunities in effort to keep my chaos rating at bay. Fortunately, Dishonored gives the player leeway and won’t punish you for taking advantage of some fun assassination opportunities.
  30. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  31. Jan 18, 2014
    [DISHONORED SteamPC Score10] One of the best games I have ever played. Play as a Master Assassin and Bodyguard framed for the death of the Queen. Get thrown into the dungeon, escape, take revenge. Play with Stealth or Action, Level up and choose Skills for Magic and others. Released Oct 2012 and played 9 months later. Add to cart with all the DLC. Enjoy this game smoothie….

[DRM] Steam
    only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title, nor Uplay, nor Origin. I did not have to create an alternative account.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[NowPlaying] BrokenAge [MyFavorites] [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born 1964 I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  32. Nov 23, 2012
    Lovely stealth game that presents great challenge on precision and execution. The story is good too but I can't really say I played it for that, but I will play through it again just to see what the other ending is and see what other ways I can go about completing my missions.
  33. Oct 15, 2012
    I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games, but Line of sight stealth, its decent, what more could be said. The game also provides you with many different weapons, gadgets and powers to sneak or kill with, its just plain fun, while having a moderate amount of replay-ability. Expand
  34. Apr 8, 2013
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    The background, the environment, is top notch. You can clearly see bethesda at its best in the small details, a very good steampunk, grimdark environment gaining some depth with every book you find. The plot is believable, even tough nothing new, and thankfully it's about one city and its government, not
    another "save the universe" cheap crappy plot. Music and graphics are also very good, and you can see that a lot of work went into this game. In fact, while horrible messes like Mass Effect 3 are probably mistakes to blame on a corporate timetable imposed on the developers, the problems of Dishonored are mostly about the game mechanics themselves.
    The bad:
    The stealth is quite shallow, being built around skills that allow you to blink around and stop time. It is in fact a better game if you simply refrain from using such skills most of the time, but you will come across some section which will force you to do that. Going for a killing spree is just plain boring, and I wouldn't recommend that, in the same way I wouldn't recommend it in Deus Ex HR.
    The game also has pretty much no replay value. Maybe I'll pick it up again in some months, and then forget it forever.
  35. Jan 25, 2014
    You can tell there's a lot of work behind this game. Very good graphic with its "comic book" style and so "dark" you will really immerse in this plagued world. Level design and non-linear ways of completing missions is the best part of this title. But ... at the end it's not that long and even it the game authors think you will replay it a lot of times... i think you won't. Buy it if it comes cheap. You will have fun. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2012
    Well all I can say is try before you buy. Only got as far as the tutorial which was enough for me. The setting/art style and voice acting are odd. Alternative London with American accents but baddies sound British - getting rather tired of this. Anyway aesthetic grumbles aside, this game depends a lot on the gameplay which is rather poor (IMHO). I think the dev's should have looked a little harder at the Thief series for the stealth and Dark Messiah for the combat. Its 2012...why do I have to compare Dishonored to games which are so old and yet still do this so much better? Combat problems include = poor hit detection, limited fov (70-80 degrees - feels like your looking down a cardboard tube) and no weight to the weapons = floaty combat ( even Skyrim's combat is better for god sake!). Try it if you haven't played either Thief of Dark Messiah...but if you have I can't imagine it'll hold your interest for long. And Bathesda where are my legs? Where is my player shadow? Why am I still a floating camera with fists? Expand
  37. Feb 16, 2013
    Lots of fun and replayability, although I wish the main story were longer. The primary strength of this game is the ability of the player to complete tasks in a variety of ways. Want to play it as an action game? Run in guns blazing and use your powers mid combat to teleport around like a bad ass. Want to play it stealthy? Go for it. Sneak around and knock out your opponents without ever letting them fire a shot. Multiple angels of approach, should I climb that building or take that tunnel? RPG customization of powers and abilities along with difficult achievements for the hardcore make this overall an excellent experience. Expand
  38. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  39. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was not impressed. If you are going to emulate a game like Deus Ex or Thief, you have to be willing to put forth the time and money to make it high quality. The AI is bad, and the stealth mechanics needed a lot of work. Even on the hardest difficulty, stealth was just a game of luck. Sometimes, enemies would ignore you when you were in plain sight in a normal human beings field of view. Sometimes, enemies would literally notice you (and start talking to you) through multiple layers of walls.
    The powers were completely shallow, with an extremely small amount of powers and an extremely small amount of upgrades for them. There were also like five times as many combat oriented powers as non-combat ones, which encouraged combat oriented play. But then, you get punished for being combat-oriented with a high-chaos ending. On top of that, some powers were insanely overpowered to the point where they made the game too easy, even on very hard. In Dishonored, you can blink all the way to your goal in like 30 seconds if you have a mind to. In Deus Ex, even if you activate the enhanced movespeed/jump height augmentation, it's going to take you a long time to find and reach your objective. Plus, you have to actually sacrifice bioenergy in Deus Ex to do what little you can with that augmentation, but in Dishonored you have infinite mana as long as you wait for it to regenerate. The story was also very shallow, as it seemed to be pretty much a direct copy of Deus Ex's storyline. But, in that same aspect, it seems like the storyline of Dishonored was finished before it even began. In Deus Ex, you learn that the Gray Death was man-made, you learn who made it, you learned there was a cure, you get betrayed by your faction, and old friends stay by your side instead of siding with the clear enemies. All of that happens in probably the first half of the game. In Dishonored, you learn the rat plague was man-made and all of your superiors betray you, and some people stay by your side, but that's the end of the game. You do all the same things as Deus Ex, but then it ends with you defeating your betrayers. It makes me feel as though there was much more planned for this game, but due to budget or time issues they were forced to cut it short. Actually, that applies to everything, not just the story. I feel as though this entire game was a half-finished game, and if they could have done more work on the game it could have truly been a game as powerful as Deus Ex.
  40. Oct 28, 2012
    Just completed first playthrough and was entertained. It certainly is no 'Thief', but I enjoyed it for what it is and not what it is not. Will definitely replay again soon. Congratulations to Arkane!
  41. Aug 8, 2013
    An amazing game. Stealth, action and narrative are all top notch here, Having played through the base game I literally can't understand some of these low score reviews they make no sense to me. The combat is fluid and with the various magic powers at your disposal, fun and varied. The stealth works intuitively and is one of the better examples of the genre. The world is amazing and deeply intriguing, if the game has a flaw it is compared to how interesting the world is some of the characters seem shallow and that at some points near the end the games limited funding shows (but just barely)

I usually reserve a 10 for games I feel people are unfairly bashing en-mass. Not so this time, a true gem of a game definitely worth experiencing.
  42. Jan 1, 2013
    I have NO idea where the great score from other users comes from.

The graphics look awful is like a step back to 2007. The beginning of the game is so bad i was actually trying to rush it and read a book at the same time. Way better games ot there and this is not worth your money.
  43. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  44. Nov 3, 2012
    The most frustrating thing about this game is how close it comes to greatness. Although I genuinely enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that Dishonoured could have been so much more. In gameplay terms, Dishonoured could crudely be called a steampunk Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can kill enemies or knock them out. You can drag their bodies around and create a big old heap o' men (although bodies in Dishonoured have a habit of vanishing after a while). Each level offers a decent variety of ways to sneak, climb, charge or slay your way through. But Dishonoured lacks some of DE:HR's sophistication. The cover mechanic in Dishonoured, while straightforward, makes for the slightly ludicrous notion that an enemy cannot spot a player peeking out from behind a pillar. Corvo cannot talk his way around baddies. The plot is a good one for a computer game, but the efforts at character immersion are futile, given that Corvo is a blank canvas without character, and the dialogue sections contrast most unfavourably with DE:HR. Of course, it might be said that Corvo's personality reveals itself through actions rather than words, given that each mission's body count affects both the disposition of NPCs and the way that subsequent levels are played. This is a great idea in theory, but it also acts as a powerful disincentive to use one of the game's more interesting features: the combination of sword-and-pistol combat. Given that Dishonored has so few original features, discouraging the exploration of one of them in this fashion just feels perverse. Dishonored does have some interesting magical powers which stray pleasingly far from established RPG tropes, possession being the most obvious and delightful example. The downside is that such powers tend to make relatively easy missions even less challenging. And Dishonoured borrows one of Dragon Age II's most annoying attributes in converting collected loot instantly into cash, rather than offering the player the opportunity to do anything with it. If casks of whale oil can be made to explode, for example, could not a flask of refined whale oil make a jury-rigged grenade? Could not the medicinal herbs be sold to deserving (or undeserving) characters who might, in turn, offer some quid pro quo? While Dishonored is a fun and diverting 15 hours, is is not nearly so immersive or original as some reviewers would have you believe. But the really infuriating thing is that it could so easily have been great. Expand
  45. Oct 19, 2012
    I am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay is perfect, its fun all the time, really varied where you can go your own way pretty much everywhere. there is this great atmosphere where i really feel im there. Theres i so much to discover that i would just dont care about in any other game, but here i can spend hours on going to small secret rooms and passages cause they all feel so alive and intresting. The controls are supersmooth and i almost get irritated cause there is nothing to be irritated on. loading times are super quick, the graphics are fabulous on many places. the sound is really perfect. Or, yeah there is one thing that could be better, there is almost no music, which actually suits the game good, but i would prefer a good soundtrack. Expand
  46. Dec 18, 2012
    Does the PC gaming need an other FPS? Answer: NO. It may have a nice quality but this is something we have seen already many times.
    Good graphic but old game, puck effect guaranteed.
  47. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  48. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a big fan of stealth, hide-n-sneek, strategic type of games I was personally looking forward to this game. So rather not waste time and let's start the review(I'll try to keep spoilers to the absolute minimum).
    +Game art, graphics, style are genuine and awesome!
    +Weapons are a handful, ranging from sneak up behind and slid-a-throat type knifes to take-out-on-range types crossbows and pistol! Couple of grenades, and deployables come in handy as well!
    +Smart improvisation of magical powers, will make you _want_ to use them at your advantage as much as possible, and it's super-fun!
    +Almost as high as 12-15 different ways of killing/assassinating a single enemy, which will make you replay a mission uniquely every time.
    +Story-wise, I won't comment so you'll _HAVE TO_ play it!
    +Decent bit of unlockable items such as runes for powers, whale bones, upgrades to your knife, mask etc! Books, etc etc etc. decent amount of replayability and fun right there, again!
    -Uses a tremendous amount of CPU resources, so if your PC isn't moderately powerful, forget about it!
    -More than 5-6 hours of continuous playing will make the story a bit more predictable and missions a bit repetitive, kinda like Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell-ish, but that's that. I mean it's a stealth game and it's not the 1st one out there, so you can't go out and draw comparisons between Dishonored and Assassin's Creed or any other game for that matter.

Over-all, the game is great, it's fun and it's fairly replayable, so forget the haters(lol) and buy it and play it and get on assassinating them bad boys ;) !!!
  49. Dax
    Dec 20, 2012
    If you are not a sneaky person, you will probably give it a lower score. Cool tricks, cool game play, semi-crap story.. buy it play it. but beware of some sort
    disappointment.
  50. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  51. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  52. Oct 16, 2012
    I beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always puts you in line of sight, and it's basically luck if they see you or not (reminiscent of FPS mode in Metal Gear Solid 2). NPCs will start looking for you on one side of the map if you throw an empty bottle on the other. The entire hide and seek system is wonky and unnatural feeling.

I've been told this game is a sandbox and I'm playing it wrong. But how can you have a sandbox game with linear objectives (even the "alternative methods" present themselves linearly) and static environments. You can't blow up walls, knock over things, or put anything to use in the environment. The extent of environment interaction is turning off a barricade, disabling a turret, throwing empty bottles or throwing explosive barrels, take your pick. Oh also, this is a level based game
  53. Mar 2, 2013
    Probably best game i have been playing last time. This awesome piece of software is no way near Bioshock like some people say. It feels more like mix of Dark Messsiah and Thief with its own great atmosphere and creative level design. Cartoon-like graphics isn't brilliant but definitely stylish. Simple story isn't about revenge cold served only. Noticeable moral choices make gameplay even more interesting. Summary: there is no perfect game and Dishonored was made as good as could be made. Developers efforts are visible and should be appreciated. Expand
  54. Oct 16, 2012
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this.
    This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of
    melee combat, magic abilities, stealth and player choice and sets it in a beautifully imagined world rich with background story and fascinating characters. The storyline isn't something to write home about, but against the rest of this game one can almost forget there is a storyline and just immerse yourself in the beauty that is Dishonored.

Definite candidate for Game of the Year
  55. Dec 3, 2012
    Definitely not what I expected. I'm not quite sure what, exactly, I was expecting... Certainly more of an open-world approach, coming from Bethesda. Maybe something more like Fallout 3 or Skyrim, but in a whalepunk setting.

That's not what I got. But the game is still fun.

The game is very strongly mission-based and very linear. No roaming the countryside, taking up random
    quests, discovering interesting new locations. This game is focused on a single storyline, a single goal.

You may have different paths through any given mission... Able to choose between slaughtering everyone or stealthily sneaking through an area... But you can't complete the missions out of order. And after you've finished with a mission area, you're done with it. Even if a later mission sends you to the same area - it's actually a new location that just looks the same.

It also feels like stealth isn't given nearly as much focus as the gameplay trailers led me to believe. None of the magical abilities you can earn do anything to improve your stealthiness. No invisibility or cloud of shadows or anything like that. Lots of fast-travel stuff... Lots of combat-oriented stuff... But stealth is limited to simply hiding behind boxes and remaining out of sight.

The whalepunk setting, for lack of a better term, is absolutely terrific. The architecture, characters, costuming, ambient sounds... All mesh to create a downright haunting experience. I found myself, on a number of occasions, just hanging out on a rooftop and listening to civilians complain about the plague... Or listening to a guard whistle as he went about his patrol.

The controls were solid, responsive, behaved basically as I expected they should.

The graphics were decent. Looked nice. No obvious issues or corners-cut.

I find myself wishing there was more to the game... A more expansive storyline, a more open world. It's fun, but it just isn't as epic in scale as most of Bethesda's games. And I wish it was. I want to see more of the world.

Hopefully there'll be a sequel, or some DLC, or something like that.
  56. Oct 19, 2012
    This is a good game. Yet that is where I will stop. I know lots of people are giving this game rave reviews, but I simply cannot.

First, the art style is intriguing and much of that is a personal taste. I normally like steampunk, or in this case whaleoilpunk. Yet the characters are downright ugly. If that was their choice so be it. I know there is a bleak aspect to the game
    considering they are in the middle of a plague. Yet being constantly surrounded by ugly characters is not enjoyable. There is also the texture issues, and the fact they some things are just poorly done. I am not lowering this game much for the graphics (no game should be), yet this does have graphical issues.

Second, there just is not a lot of character development. There is world development if you choose by reading the books scattered throughout the world. Yet the character development is fairly poor. I wanted to more about all these people I was working with and also the ones I was killing. Yet other than a few conversations and the random really brief letter/diary you can pick up it's really sparse.

Third, the gameplay can be fun at times and tedious at others. I cannot count how many times I went to choke a player and instead went into the defensive stance which alerted them to my presence. The computer AI sometimes seems real good, and at other times seems braindead. Yet it can still be fun flying all over the place and avoiding detection or simply going in and wiping the floor with everyone (although the hand to hand combat can be a chore at times).

Fourth, once you pick a style of play it really starts to feel repetitive. They do introduce some new stuff here and there, but for the most part you will be doing the same thing. They even repeated a level, which ticked me off.

Overall, the game can be a fun experience for a little while, and it can be fun finding all the different ways around things. Yet I did not find this game as special at others. Perhaps it's the simple lack of good stealth type games on the market anymore, but in the end I found this worthy of only a 7 (which means to me worth a playthrough by renting it, but certainly not a buy).
  57. Oct 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a big red sign "important thing here" will miss most of it, and end up finishing the game in a short time. This is an adult game, with serious themes and it will scratch that special Thief spot in your heart that you didn't feel for a while. It is riddled with thief references ... the sound of coins when you pick them up, the mumbling of the guards on watch duty. The city itself has that weighty, heavy feeling leaning on your shoulders. Art style is beautiful semi-realistic, with slightly over-exaggerated features like limbs and necks. It works perfectly. My advice is just let yourself go in this game, turn off the quest markers and learn about the human misery in the beautiful, fallen Dunwall. Let yourself be immersed and play cat and mouse with your goals and you will have one of the best gaming experiences in years. Expand
  58. stg
    Dec 30, 2012
    Pretty awesome. The graphics are just good, but the gameplay is great fun. This game is very much structure toward stealth, so don't buy it unless you like the genre.

The universe of Dishonored is a steampunk city half destroyed by plague, and is fairly well executed.

You can go around killing everyone (but you better keep it stealthy because you won't survive being attacked by
    several enemies at once), slip around, or put them to sleep. You can also upgrade several magical powers, such as teleporting sort distances, slowing or freezing time, having enemies turn to ashes as you kill, and much more. Expand
  59. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a Bethesda-published game, which means that it does the same thing every single other Bethesda-published games does: Completely fail to live up to expectations. I went in to this game expecting a nice mix of Thief, Bioshock, and a little Assassin's Creed, and I got a heap of average gameplay mixed in with a below average story. Let me start with the thing that bothered me the most: The story. In short, there's hardly a story in the first place, let alone a compelling one. The story is a cliche-ridden mess without an interesting beginning or a satisfying ending. I cannot care for any of these characters because I don't know them, nor can I connect with any of them. I cannot care for what happens to the city or the world around me because the game fails to immerse you beyond some supposed good gameplay. My second main complaint is the gameplay itself. It's average in its best parts, and completely vanilla in the rest of it. Swordplay is a joke, number one. It's completely uninteresting because of so few mechanics in play. Simple complexity is what a game should strive for, not plain simple. The stealth mechanics are DATED. There are many things that some be intertwined with the stealth side of the game that simply don't exist. The main problem of this is that the AI is dumb as a rock. I'm not expecting geniuses everywhere, but I AM expecting the enemy to wake up an unconscious comrade, run to a superior to call reinforcements, and to overall be much more aware after spotting me, or a fallen ally. The AI is the most simple you can get in a game like this: Once they lose sight of you, they lose all memory of you. They ignore dead bodies after 10 seconds, and they don't attempt to help each other. This makes the game WAY too easy. The only way to get any real difficulty is to remove the UI completely, never use your powers, and attempt to get the no-kill and the ghost bonuses, as well as collecting everything. And even then, it would just be time consuming, not truly hard. The animations and graphics, while secondary, are also pretty average. Animation is stiff, the graphics are standard and unimpressive. This is a shame, because the art style and the art direction appear to be pretty good; but they're held back by these things.
    Even the game's good points are marred by either laziness or lack of explanation. The world is interesting, and I love the setting, but after the end of the game, I understand very little of it because it simply was not explained, and barely even touched upon. The setting allowed for some interesting elements to happen, but they simply didn't because of the simplistic gameplay, the lack of proper story-telling, and the apparently lack of simple EFFORT. My favorite thing about this game is both the setting and the sounds as a whole. I love both of them, but neither of them can carry this game to a better rating.
    And finally; the biggest failure of this game is that it seems like the devs got all the basic stuff covered and simply didn't continue from there. This is a basic, BASIC game, and these days that simply doesn't cut it. It's a painfully average experience.

If you've already purchased the game; I'm sorry.
    If you plan to; Don't. Rent it and see if you feel the same.
    If you somehow think this game is still amazing; Well, good for you. I wish I could think the same.
  60. Jan 21, 2014
    Based in a fictional setting of Dunwall, Dishonored tells us an interesting story of political corruption, betrayal, oppression and resistance, and of course lots and lots of death, whether it’s at the hands of the plague or the never-ending conflict that goes on. The immersive setting and nice story-telling are then assisted with gameplay that gives the player a chance to tackle every challenge in their own way.

What I greatly enjoyed about Dishonored is the diversity in which it allows you to approach its challenges. It’s a similar style of gameplay as the Deus Ex games. The player can go in with stealth, or they can go guns blazing, or maybe to try some diplomacy, or even to mix and match all of those. Even the primary targets can be handled in ways other than violence. That’s right – it is possible to complete the game without killing any major antagonist.

Depending on how the player handles each mission, they will acquire either high chaos or low chaos. Being merciful, using non-lethal ways of taking down regular enemies, and not triggering alarms all lead to low chaos, which in turn leads to a good ending. The opposite leads to high chaos and hence a bad ending. This greatly adds to the replayability of the game and makes it interesting to complete it at least twice.

Apart from standard weapons and equipment used in each mission, the player also learns supernatural powers throughout the gameplay. They can do so by acquiring special runes which are found in many areas of the game. Many of these powers are very interesting and provide excellent opportunities to try out new and creative ways of getting past a challenge at hand. Perhaps the most commonly used power is Blink, which allows the player to quickly teleport short distances from one cover to another, which is extremely useful for stealthy gameplay. There are several great powers to use, but the ones that stood out the most to me were Possession, which allows the protagonist to possess rats and other small animals and to get through small crawlspaces this way, Dark Vision, which allows the player to see nearby enemies through walls, and Bend Time, with which the player can temporarily slow, and with an upgrade completely stop, the time.

There are few minor things to criticise about Dishonored, like the lack of ways to take out the enemies non-lethally (sleep darts and upclose seem like the only ways), or how sometimes enemy AI and behaviour can be a bit unpredictable. The ending also felt a bit rushed, but once I got to the end of the game, I realised that it’s not so much the ending that’s important in games like these, but the journey itself. All those are just small drawbacks and were nothing compared to the unforgettable experience the game as a whole provided to me. A single playthrough may go for only 15-20 hours, but each minute of that playthrough keeps you fully immersed in the game’s rich and somewhat gloomy steampunk setting, not to mention its great replay value.
  61. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't quite completed the game yet, but after 15 hours in (i'm quite close to the end, on normal difficulty with all ui elements disabled) I have more or less come to a conclusion about the game.

It's **** fantastic. Very well may be the best money I spent all year on games.

The stealth is engaging, the combat is visceral, the story is interesting, the visuals (i.e. environment
    design, art direction) are phenomenal -- probably the best I've seen since say, Bioshock. I wish I could give it a 10, but there's minor issues here and there that keep it from being perfect -- but it's definitely above a 9. 9.5 maybe.

Wow!
  62. Oct 17, 2012
    Very good game overall, one of the better ones to be released this year. It's held back from true greatness by some minor flaws however. The good: choice. There are so many different ways to play this game it's ridiculous. You can be stealthy and go through the game without killing a single soul, or you can be an instrument of chaos, slaughtering innocents and hostiles alike. This difference in play styles can influence the ending that you receive, similar to Bioshock. The powers and equipment that you receive throughout are fun to use and make you feel like a badass. The art style and art direction are phenomenal, also similar to Bioshock. It's a mesmerizing world. Most of the voice acting is decent, and the replay value is through the roof. Combat is visceral and strategic, with an emphasis on parrying and countering. The bad: the story isn't as great as I would like it to be. I felt that I just didn't' care enough the about the characters, and the empress' assassination at the beginning just didn't hit home. I personally would have rather seen a lengthier introduction to give us a feel for the characters, which would allow for a more emotional investment in the story. Also, the graphics, from a technological aspect, aren't really up to snuff, even on PC. Textures are murky and blurry up close, and the animations are a bit stiff. The art direction previously mentioned makes the game still look decent though, Overall, a good contribution to my gaming library. If you want a blend of Assassin's Creed and Bioshock, look no further. Expand
  63. Nov 8, 2012
    A game that is absolutely wonderful and quite long if played stealthy and possibly without killing anyone, but also rather frustrating, since while the developers pushed for a stealth approach, actual stealth mechanics are stripped to a few options, compared to the wide range of powers and gadgets aiming towards direct assaults or killing galore. The graphics are fantastic: sure they're not hyper-realistic, but they have a very personal style, which makes it way more fascinating than the usually dull AAA 3D. The story is ok: predictable but nice, though it lacks some emotional power. Expand
  64. Oct 19, 2012
    I read a few reviews before I even started playing Dishonored, and I wished I hadn't. I was expecting some top-shelf title that once again is touted to produce ecstatic experiences in the media blitz, but only manages to produce nausea once released. While Dishonored is not carved wholesale from diamonds rent from the earth by Vestal Virgins, it is not a bad game. I didn't get what I expected going in, but after a steady diet of Assassin's Creed titles for the last four years my view of 'stealth FPS' had been greatly skewed. Dishonored has much more in common with titles like Hitman or Thief, where one is much better off staying hidden, picking off guards one at a time, than leaping from the shadows in a flurry of steel a-la Ezio Auditore. The more I played the more I found myself enjoying this Predacious style of gameplay. It is both challenging and fun. Not in the human blender style of Assassin's Creed but more the patient planning and observation of Hitman or Thief. Sadly, where the game falls down, hard, is in the writing. The setting and set-up have the makings of an excellent novel but the execution is quite basic. Without preamble, without the chance to get into the skin of your character (Say with an introductory mission) you are told that you are the Empress' personal bodyguard, that you are a formidable swordsman, and it is hinted that you are secretly (or not so secretly) in love with the empress. My first gripe here is that the swordplay is incredibly basic, it is shot through with some glorious animations, but none of them are within your control. The second is, that I am being TOLD what to think and feel. Before I even have a chance to meet the empress I am being told how to feel towards her, a few extra minutes of dialogue, an extra scene or two could suck me right in here, but alas I am left wanting. If you liked Thief, Hitman, or Deus Ex Dishonored is a welcome addition to the genre, but go in for fun, not world-changing ideas. Expand
  65. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic game. Real gem.

+story, atmosphere, design (of everything from costumes to levels),gameplay, world changes and reacts to your actions (reminds me of first Deus Ex).

-sometimes too easy with all the powers player have
  66. Oct 16, 2012
    I have learned my lesson. Never again will I trust the word of a video game "journalist." It's quite obvious these guys are being paid for favorable reviews. My fault for ever believing them, I guess. Dishonored is a shallow, boring, tedious game. The stealth mechanic- so highly touted in previews and trailers- is utterly lacking in complexity and challenge. "Blink" behind a guy, choke him to sleep, stash his body in a dumpster, rinse, repeat. That's the whole game right there. It gets old very quickly, as do the sword fighting and gunslinging. Playing with all the toys in your arsenal is fun at first, but the charm quickly wears off and descends into boredom. The story is thin as matzo. The setting is cool, sure, but no effort is put into characterization, especially with Corvo- yet another dull, silent protagonist- and the game suffers for it. You don't care about the heroes, and you don't hate the villains. The big twist isn't shocking in the least, and the ending feels rushed and incomplete. The writing is passable, but nothing special. This dreck would barely earn a C in an entry level creative writing course. The graphics and art design are Dishonored's saving grace. Dunwall is gorgeously realized, and the game runs beautifully on the PC. The world Arkane has created is truly a work of art. If only they had harnessed its full potential. In the hands of a better developer, this game could have reached its full potential. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2012
    Fantastic game, game of the year. Loads of options on how to approach each level and some awesome spells and abilities an real immersive game world with great characters.
  68. Dec 23, 2012
    I know that this game has been acclaimed by reviewers ... I see many reviewers giving good ratings for this game while being quite negative in their review. I guess it's because this game has some really nice features but at the same time, a lot of improvements could be done. My opinion : it's not a bad game but it's not really worth playing. My advice to players : play with the supernatural powers and check videos on youtube, it might help you to enjoy the game Here are the things I would change to make it better : 0- Improve stealth killing mechanism How many times, I was behind an opponent, but because I was not perfectly aligned or at perfect distance, I could not "stealth kill" and got detected instead. By stealth kill, I mean non-lethal : choke-out holds 1- Improve "see through walls" It's working fine BUT what's the point of making a good looking game, if players use X-RAY vision (aka Dark Vision) which makes everything looks yellow ... 2- Improve graphics Yeah sometimes it looked great, but for example, faces/visages were not that great 3- Make it easier to have the "good ending" At least, make it more obvious, at the start of the game, that it's important to kill as less opponents as possible. Let the player knows how many kills (or some kind of indication) he needs to move to the dark side or to get back to the bright side 4- Make a less dark atmosphere Is it life not enough dark already ? Personal preference. 5- Improve load/save time 6- Make it easier to fight with opponents standing near 7- More original Yeah, I felt like playing a mix of Bioshock, Batman and AC. 8- Put less items to "loot" As much as I liked to find where were the Runes, I disliked to spend so much time taking money/items everywhere. Well, I could have just let the money there, which I did often but when you start a game, you never know if you gonna need all that money, etc. 9- Improve "lifetime" I know many will disagree but multiplayer gives you one reason to not rent or resell the game 10- Let us see/hear the hero !!! Maybe the biggest flaw 11- Improve translation (french) Ok I should have played it in English. But for people who can't, the voice of Horatio Caine from CSI Miami for all the guards, seriously ? 12- Let us kill instead of playing stealth and still have the good end By playing stealth all the time (or almost), you're missing out on interesting techniques/abilities/strategy. 13- Improve the Blink power Too hard to tell if the distance is too far to be reached via Blink 14- Give the powers earlier in the game Expand
  69. Oct 10, 2012
    Another game that makes me feel increasingly alienated from this industry. There's been put a lot of talent, work and energy into this game, including marketing that promotes Dishonored to be about solving things in a creative way. All this is kinda sad, since ultimately, Dishonored plays just like another blockbuster which you'll forget about before tomorrow. Because: 1.) Stealth-gameplay is you waiting for enemies to look away, nothing more, because light isn't regarded, for example, i.e. enemies see you just as well/badly in broad daylight as within total darkness. Also, you only have really few options to be stealthy besides the "Blink"-skill, especially if you want to do it non-lethally (options: sleeping darts and choking... that's it, 2 options, there isn't even a blackjack). 2.) Action: Trying out the various gadgets and skills to lethally engage enemies seems nice, but just as with stealth, there isn't much tactics involved - it's repeating the same process over and over again, the skills just make it look differently. 3.) Personally, the seemingly unnecessary, overdrawn brutality you are invited to perform or is performed visually and story-wise just turns me off.. I never had any problems with the gore of the Dooms and Quakes and what not, 'cause they were silly games. But games like this, somehow, for my taste, are just... no, thank you... Feels like today's games are trying hard to impress little boys who want to be "really bad-as*", if you allow me that snappy remark. Expand
  70. Dec 2, 2012
    Great successor of the first Bioshock. Analogy is so straight (like that was with Singilarity) so you can't think that you play some Bioshock franchise. Anyway game is really good, it has a lot of options to way of playing it, your actions lead to changes not just in scenario but also in city environment and weather. Really good game, good storyline, good visuals, good music. What would be great to me - is more freedom to explore the city although you can explore just one district in a misson. Expand
  71. Dec 22, 2012
    Dishonored is one of the most overrated games of 2012. As is typical for Bethesda schlock, they delivered a game lacking in almost every single capacity and convinced the moronic masses to go with it.

Almost everything about this game is putrid. Graphically the technically, the game is a failure. It's about as visually stunning as UT2k4, with flat textures, a very noticeable lack of
    physics outside of ragdolls, and poor particle effects. There's absolutely nothing here exciting at all. This game would've looked dated four years ago, clay-looking faces and all. It in no way makes any attempt to stand out visually.

The plot and presentation is a total joke, and I want to punch whatever creative writing dropout thought up this plot and introduce him to something called 'flow'. You're introduced to a world you know nothing about, you're told to care about someone and in the first seven seconds of the game you're framed for their murder, thrown in prison, and then rescued. There's even a torture seen in between in which the bad guy takes time to EXPLAIN TO YOU that he framed you, in case you were too stupid to figure it out yourself. There's a bunch of other cliche BS that happens later on in the game, but it suffices to say that the plot will entertain nobody with a triple-digit IQ.

Then there's the gameplay. The gameplay tends to be pretty solid. When the stealth works, it works. You can sneak around and be a clever little a-hole in the vein of Thief. And the combat is great fun, about as solid-feeling as Dark Messiah. You have all kinds of tools and toys to use as well, combat stops to let you pick your next device, and when everything goes pear-shaped, it's a blast slicing-and-dicing enemies to bits (too bad Bethesda can't put a decent combat system in the Elder Scroll games...).

The problem is that it's way too easy to sneak around. You even have an ability to lets you teleport right up to someone's bum, completely eliminating the need to actually sneak over there. Barring that, you can just teleport to some pipes 90% of the time. There's not a single situation where you actually have to use any of the gadgets, heck, there's an achievement for completing the game without even getting any upgrades, *THAT'S HOW OPTIONAL CONFRONTATION IS*. Rather than make stealth extremely hard, but rewarding, thus trying to force the player's hand towards the easier lethal options... you can easily just teleport your way through almost every single level to complete safety.

The problem is that everything fun in this game isn't stealth. You have a crossbow, a pistol you can use to just blow people away, a rat swarm,a fus-ro-dah you can use to blow people apart, you have grenades, mantraps, and a great combat system, as well as all sorts of assassination moves.

If you don't use combat, you complete the game by giving people hugs and shooting them with sleep darts. That's it. 85% of the game content has nothing to do with stealth.

Let's make one thing clear - this is an assassination game, not Thief. The very first people you meet call you an assassin and talk about how people need to die to make the world better. You even get an artifact you can use on characters, and it tells you things like "If you don't kill this (random guard), he's going to go home and kill his family and then himself in a week".

Now, who can explain to me why an assassin game, which has all kinds of cool moves and detail put into killing people, gives me a loading screen hint that says "If you kill lots of people you'll get punished, there will be more rats, people will hate you, and you will get the evil ending". That's right boys and girls - the developers *KNEW* that their crappy morality system was so bad and ill-fitting in a game about killing that they couldn't even let players figure out the morality thing on their own that they had to SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU. "PLEASE DON'T KILL EVERYONE GUYS, EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE MOST FUN". I'm assuming this tip went in because playtesters universally were having so much fun killing people nobody even knew there was a good ending, and they hated the evil path (because it's so terrible).

So that right there is the worst part about the game. The game literally punishes you for not playing in the goody-two-shoes total pacifist **** method. Some guy plots to kill your girlfriend or whatever, then says "oh no please don't hurt me", but *I'M* the bad guy for remembering that this guy TORTURED my character and needs to pay?

Why not just change the game so that whenever you kill someone it says "Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done while we slowly reload your save". Why is there even kill / don't kill morality choices in a game full of swords and plague and death anyway?

So that's it. This game is a huge dumbed-down overhyped easy-to-market pile of garbage. Another turd from Bethesda.
  72. Dec 21, 2012
    Stalker Mage's Dream. I myself having fun being stalker in various game. I also happy to become mage too. But never i can be both in any game as they never blend stalker and mage together perfectly. Until this game, Dishonered, the game that made my dream come true. This is a Stalker Mage Dream. Must play.
  73. Jan 5, 2013
    Great game, stealth actions like hiding under tables - ingenious. Graphic is beautiful, sound - very nice, moving - very smooth, zero any, tiny technical problems, and what's most important, game-play is enjoyable, story is fine and time to finish is very good - about 16-20 hours for me. And there is a tempting to play one more time, but another style, because game see your actions and show really different endings.
    Game is really worth any penny.
  74. Mar 17, 2013
    A truly well-written game with a high fun factor. With this game, you really get the whole package in terms of gameplay mechanics. Whether you take the low profile stealth road, chaotic brute force combat road or anything in between, it's all very enjoyable and addicting. The same goes for the setting and atmosphere. The amount and combination of awesome weapons, powers and many player-determined plot directions add to the replay value immensely. However, I do have a few issues with the game. First off, there could have been so much more. I thought the game was a bit short, and given the many creative gameplay mechanics, I felt there was acres of room the game could have used up to be better. It was like a child receiving an amazing new toy, but had very limited time to play with it. Second, the dialogue. The dialogue in the game is well done, but it's easy to notice that it's also a little lazy. For a game with such great gameplay and atmosphere, some of the voice acting comes off as rushed and emotionless. This is noticed the most by the dialogue given by enemies, where it gets repetitive and senseless. Lastly, the characters. Whether the characters are enemies, allies or neutral, not too many of them have uniqueness and can come off as characters that are there just for the sake of just being there and not establishing much connection. I didn't find myself having intended dispositions of some characters when I was intended to. Overall, a brilliant game and definitely falls into the "something every kind of gamer should play" category. Expand
  75. Oct 16, 2012
    It's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doors leading to a handful of other, smaller areas. It tries very hard to be the Thief of this generation but humbly fails, in my opinion. I read somewhere that Dishonored's stealth system that was supposed to be based on Thief's but was discarded because it was too "unrealistic". Instead they put a system where the only direction an enemy faces is straight, so even in broad daylight you can stand above an enemy's line of sight and they'll be none the wiser. There's also the superpower that lets you see through walls. I really don't get if they were being sarcastic, or just plain old stupid, but there it is. The story is a cliche mish-mash, set in a fantastic but very unbelievable world. All in All, i liked playing it for a short while, but when i stopped there was no real craving for another run. After Thief 2 I was left with a void for a good sneaker installment (Thief 3 was ridiculous, aside from the Asylum mission). This comes close, but i don't think this is IT. Rent before buy is my advice. It might not be your 50$ cup of tea. Expand
  76. Nov 13, 2012
    Look, its a good game.. but its not the best example out there, Deus Ex Human revolution was better executed, longer and had a far more involved story. Its an original world, but not a particularly clever one. Its good, but its not great, and its not worth £30. If you fancy it wait till the Christmas sales.
  77. Nov 15, 2012
    I think the most unique part of this game is that you get to choose the level of violence or stealth that you will use to complete the game. The main story in the game is sort of interesting, but nothing new; i.e., hero saving the damsel at the end of the game. Also, you aren't overwhelmed with hundreds of side missions--there are some, but the amount is manageable. Some may disagree with me, but I get confused when there are too many side mission. All in all, this is a good game, but I would suggest waiting until the price drops before buying this one. Expand
  78. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is a real gem in a world full of recycled material and plots. It takes stealth play and ambush tactics to a new level. It's linear in objective but the options for getting to point B are vast and make for great replay. It's like each board is a giant puzzle. The play time is about 10 to 15 hours for the campaign. I've gone through it twice choosing a different way to do things each time and played a few of the missions several times just for kicks. I noticed each time I played that different options arose for upgrading too which made for a unique experience as well. It's like going through it once was like "being an assassin 101" after you realize your potential then the fun really begins. The A.I. is really good too. So watch out and don't be seen or heard they will find you in a heartbeat. Expand
  79. Mar 27, 2013
    "History repeats itself". Dishonored, a "new word" in stealth-action games is just old book in buatiful new cover. But it still good book. "Thief" for this generation
  80. Nov 11, 2012
    Not worth $60. I would like to take a puff off what some of these reviewers are smoking (or getting paid by developers to smoke). The game is decent as far a most games go, but where can I get some of that sweet video game payola?
  81. Nov 29, 2012
    Dishonored is great in a lot of ways, but mediocre in a few. It has an excellent setting and level design, and there are many ways to accomplish objectives, whether by sneaking over rooftops, disabling alarm systems or just brute forcing your way though. That said, the enemy AI is pretty bad and stealth is rather simplistic, depending mainly on line of sight, not light level. The story is just... eh. I never really hated any of the antagonists, even in the last few missions, but maybe that's the point. I had heard a playthrough is pretty short, but if you explore or enjoy the stealth aspect you can expect about 15 hours. Expand
  82. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is great. It's a tonne of fun and I recommend it to anyone who likes stealth games. The only problem I have with this game is that killing everyone and your targets gets you a bad ending and doing everything the non lethal way gets you a good ending. This would be fine if the game didn't seem to be so tailored to you killing people. While there's a million different way to kill targets (And it's probably not lot more fun if you get creative) there's only a couple of ways to non-lethally dispatch enemies, sleep darts and choking them, rendering most powers and upgrades almost useless. This doesn't stop the game from being hella fun though, so buy it. Expand
  83. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  84. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  85. Oct 13, 2012
    I enjoyed the game...I like that you had a few options in how to resolve each mission whether it be lethal or non lethal...it took me about 14 hours to beat it although I did quite a bit of exploration trying to find all the stuff...it left me wanting more though and honestly felt too short, like there was way more in the way of missions that should have happened before taking on the final "boss'. I don't really want to go back and replay it either unlike deus ex: hr which I played through several times. All in all a very cool stealth action game...there is a dlc button on the main screen so I think we can expect that to come down the pipe soon. Expand
  86. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  87. Oct 15, 2012
    The word to describe this game would be creative. The developers forces you to be smart and create criative ways to complete your object. The action of the game is unique and inspiring, there are many possibilites and really funny ways to play. The graphics are not the best and not even great, maybe they can be considered as good, but it won't interfier your gameplay, besides, the enviroment is magnific.. I would like to give it an 8.5 but I don't have this option and a 9 sounds too much. The worst thing about the game is that it's not that big, I would consider it as a medium size game, bigger that many, but small compared to what could have been. Expand
  88. Nov 10, 2012
    Gameplay is pretty fun but nothing special. The port however, is poorly optimized and the bloated menus and UI testify to the game's origin. The environments are beautiful and artform is very nice but this is all shot down by the awful graphics. It's 2012 but I guess making games for six year old hardware is all the rage nowadays.
  89. Oct 27, 2012
    Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging. Had to reload a lot of times to get it perfect, but it was worth it. ...many creative / unique moments. Recommended for everybody, who loves stealthy FPS games, utopistic / apocalyptic fantasy worlds and losing him/herself into another world. :) 9/10 Expand
  90. Nov 16, 2012
    This is a really good game with lots of freedom on user's hands. Not only you can choose between hack and slash or stealth mode, but both ways of playing are well done and nicely balanced. What's more, you usually have half a dozen completely different ways to penetrate a heavily fortified building.
    The only drawback is the lack of longevity, but that's become a usual problem in modern
    gaming industry.
    All in all, the game is worth your time.
  91. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  92. Aug 3, 2013
    I'm a bit late in playing this title, but I felt compelled to write this review, as I have just completed Dishonored. Dishonored puts you in the role of Corvo, royal protector of the Empress of a fictional kingdom. The Empress is murdered early into the story and you are blamed for her death, and sent to be executed. You must escape from execution, and find the real killers of the Empress and ensure that her daughter becomes the new Empress. As the royal protector, you are versed in various forms of weaponry including swords, guns, bombs, and sabotage equipment. Additionally, you gain supernatural powers such as teleporting, x-ray vision, and various other very cool powers that help you traverse the world. Your enemies include plague victims that have gone mad, as well as royal soldiers, and a few creatures. There's tesla coils that you must either disable or sabotage so that they kill your enemies, and other like contraptions designed to keep order. Dishonored uses the Unreal Engine, so it is very beautiful to look at, and very stable. The art style is sort of a cartoony Victorian steampunk style, and works nicely with the game engine. Sound and music are nice, and the voice work is top notch. This game feels a lot like Dark Messiah Might and Magic, which incidentally was made by the same people, and although that game was not very well received due to bugs and technical problems it had right out of the gate. I feel like this game is the spiritual successor to Dark Messiah Might and Magic, but with all of the flaws worked out. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes stealth action or first person shooters. Expand
  93. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is to choke (Not do-able in combat) use sleep dart( which is almost ineffective in combat). There needs to be more ways to knock people out, and make people be able do it in combat. Combat is great, so are graphics. Expand
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  95. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is simply great, and I say this before criticising it because a lot of people get hold of the wrong end of the stick. Compared to all other games of the same kind of genre, this game is the best one to be released this year. Still it's not the best of all time. I don't mind the graphics and the art style they chose, because you shouldn't be a graphics w***e and look at the whole package the game delivers. To get down to the points that bother me the most: You will never use half of your abilities. Some are hilariously overpowered, like you can blink behind enemies and take them out silently. The AI will never bother and is suffering from amnesia, they had art directors from HL2 I think, because the perimeter walls in the city look exactly the same, a lot is copied from Bioshock 1, especially the ending they pulled (the good one). Other than that I like the characters, you can identify with lots of them and understand the cause they fight for, but what bothers me is that they just push you around and tell you what to do. As if I was some hired thug of some kind: "Yeah Corvo, do this, do that..." No way, lay off the attitude son, I'm no errand boy. Anyway, I give this game a rock solid 8/10, not perfect, yet nothing to complain about. Expand
  96. Mar 10, 2013
    The story is thin, short. The skills are good, but the game is boring after a time. The combat is so buggy, often you get hit by a swordsman from 1 kilometre. The graphics are not the best, and the sounds should be better. Gameplay 2/3; Warranty 2/3; Graphics 1/2; Sounds 1/2; Bugs -1; Overall 5/10
  97. Oct 14, 2012
    A great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years and I don't think the game is as linear as people purport it to be.

So what stops the game from being a 10/10 for me? The story, which wasn't all that interesting, it gave me this Assassin's Creed 1 vibe in its simplicity. And then the length of the game. To make this game long you have to play it with the mindset of making it so yourself. The game doesn't present itself well in this regard, many players will undoubtedly rush through the game chasing objectives and then stand there with 6-10 hours played wondering where their money went. Me? My first playthrough clocked in at 22 hours. I'm working on my second "chaos" playthrough now which without doubt will go quicker but I still feel the game is worth the money.

9/10, because what the game actually has you do is utterly delicious, though it falls short in the length and main story despite that it is set in a unique, dystopian victorianesque steampunk setting with lovecraftian tendencies which I find highly interesting and want more of.
  98. Oct 14, 2012
    This game touts itself as a game that lets you play your way..... It is not..... Everything is spoon-fed to you. You cannot beat this game even on the easiest difficulty without using your crappy unbalanced magic... The mask that you wear is just that...... a mask..... Oh wait... It's got a completely worthless zoom function? That makes it all better.... The gunplay sucks, the swordplay sucks, the story is ok. The world is pretty cool...
    This game just failed to impress..... When this game hits the bargain bin, pick it up. At $60 it's not worth it...
  99. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play
    throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  100. Nov 1, 2012
    This game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gate type of choices in this one. Expand

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]