Dishonored PC

8.4

1. Dec 10, 2012
    [For PC] It could have been so much better. Thats the feeling I got both times I completed this game, the first time i went through with a combination of stealth and brutality - i sneakily killed everyone. Second time I went through like a ghost, killed no one and aimed for an alternative ending. The mechanics of the game are fun - however theres so many places it could have been better,[For PC] It could have been so much better. Thats the feeling I got both times I completed this game, the first time i went through with a combination of stealth and brutality - i sneakily killed everyone. Second time I went through like a ghost, killed no one and aimed for an alternative ending. The mechanics of the game are fun - however theres so many places it could have been better, for example - no matter what difficulty setting, this game is way too easy - the AI are thick and for whatever reason your char is blessed with godly powers over your enemies who, in any number are completely at your mercy. yet, its still fun. The plot is awful, its execution is slightly worse. They use this loosely coupled slot as a means of producing levels, each level gets "harder" but only terms of the number of guards, watch towers, tall boys and gates. I don't think that multiplying the amount of dumb NPCs dotted around the level is really a progression. It gets dull after a while. each level is somewhat open-world and there are many ways you can achieve your objectives. In this sense it kinda works but in reality your scored on key things and if you, at all care about your score and the outcome of the game, suddenly your options become limited to a very linear step by step process your being guided through by the AI and clues shoved directly under your nose in case you missed them. Other games like this, hitman, deus ex to name a few have all been compared to this game countless times and many of us went in with some expectations. its not like any of them. This game is entirely "Console", it's perfect for chilling on the sofa and playing without giving it your full attention. PC Gamers tend to look for an immersive experience with plenty of choice and feeling. This game lacks both - it's linear and its easy. I still played through it twice though! Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2012
    I can't understand how people give this game a ten. This is game is not bad by any stretch of imagination, but some people stating how this is one of the best games ever is quite frankly astonishing. Yes, you have some nice little toys to use at your disposal, but when it comes down to it it actually feels limited. The stealth part of the game is basically limited to using the blinkI can't understand how people give this game a ten. This is game is not bad by any stretch of imagination, but some people stating how this is one of the best games ever is quite frankly astonishing. Yes, you have some nice little toys to use at your disposal, but when it comes down to it it actually feels limited. The stealth part of the game is basically limited to using the blink ability, a standard choke and an odd sleeping dart thrown in. When the **** hits the fan and enemies come from all angles the game turns into a mess and rushed and you feel never in control of the situation, unless you waste a whole mana potion slowing down time, but then it becomes a walk in the park with no challenge. Being in a shadow or in the light makes no difference, it's just same boring pattern of hiding behind a box waiting for the person to turn around and to then sneak up (blinking) for the quick choke...the textures also look horrendous, and the character development is non existent, quite honestly I couldn't give a **** about any of the characters. The plot twist can also be seen a mile away and is the same plot twist that plagues the film and gaming scene. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point. Like I said the game has nice features and is worth a look if you like this kind of genre, but it doesn't come close compared to the classics of Thief and Deus Ex. Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    It's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doorsIt's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doors leading to a handful of other, smaller areas. It tries very hard to be the Thief of this generation but humbly fails, in my opinion. I read somewhere that Dishonored's stealth system that was supposed to be based on Thief's but was discarded because it was too "unrealistic". Instead they put a system where the only direction an enemy faces is straight, so even in broad daylight you can stand above an enemy's line of sight and they'll be none the wiser. There's also the superpower that lets you see through walls. I really don't get if they were being sarcastic, or just plain old stupid, but there it is. The story is a cliche mish-mash, set in a fantastic but very unbelievable world. All in All, i liked playing it for a short while, but when i stopped there was no real craving for another run. After Thief 2 I was left with a void for a good sneaker installment (Thief 3 was ridiculous, aside from the Asylum mission). This comes close, but i don't think this is IT. Rent before buy is my advice. It might not be your 50$ cup of tea. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" isThis game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" is just in all honesty cheap and unfinished. It looks like a PS2 or Iphone game. The stealth mechanics do not work well and hand to hand combat is atrocious consisting of holding down block then clicking your mouse to counter. No combat, no real stealth mechanics, where is this awesome gameplay again? The only three things that are fun are "blink" which allows you basically spring forward, possessing animals, or stopping time. Far from revolutionary and amazing. Sound is awful and so are character models. There is "free running" like most open world games offer now.

High action? Far from it. If you want a high action game go play one of the new batman's or assassins creed. This may be a decent game and give you some moderate entertainment for the VERY short play through, but it is by no means acceptable as a "blockbuster" or game of the year.
  5. Oct 10, 2012
    Dishonored provides solid assassin gaming experience but remains very short. Some of the skills in the game make playing almost too easy. Graphics are a bit old compared to now days standards but it doesn't ruin the game.
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a Bethesda-published game, which means that it does the same thing every single other Bethesda-published games does: Completely fail to live up to expectations. I went in to this game expecting a nice mix of Thief, Bioshock, and a little Assassin's Creed, and I got a heap of average gameplay mixed in with a below average story. Let me start with the thing that bothered me the most:It's a Bethesda-published game, which means that it does the same thing every single other Bethesda-published games does: Completely fail to live up to expectations. I went in to this game expecting a nice mix of Thief, Bioshock, and a little Assassin's Creed, and I got a heap of average gameplay mixed in with a below average story. Let me start with the thing that bothered me the most: The story. In short, there's hardly a story in the first place, let alone a compelling one. The story is a cliche-ridden mess without an interesting beginning or a satisfying ending. I cannot care for any of these characters because I don't know them, nor can I connect with any of them. I cannot care for what happens to the city or the world around me because the game fails to immerse you beyond some supposed good gameplay. My second main complaint is the gameplay itself. It's average in its best parts, and completely vanilla in the rest of it. Swordplay is a joke, number one. It's completely uninteresting because of so few mechanics in play. Simple complexity is what a game should strive for, not plain simple. The stealth mechanics are DATED. There are many things that some be intertwined with the stealth side of the game that simply don't exist. The main problem of this is that the AI is dumb as a rock. I'm not expecting geniuses everywhere, but I AM expecting the enemy to wake up an unconscious comrade, run to a superior to call reinforcements, and to overall be much more aware after spotting me, or a fallen ally. The AI is the most simple you can get in a game like this: Once they lose sight of you, they lose all memory of you. They ignore dead bodies after 10 seconds, and they don't attempt to help each other. This makes the game WAY too easy. The only way to get any real difficulty is to remove the UI completely, never use your powers, and attempt to get the no-kill and the ghost bonuses, as well as collecting everything. And even then, it would just be time consuming, not truly hard. The animations and graphics, while secondary, are also pretty average. Animation is stiff, the graphics are standard and unimpressive. This is a shame, because the art style and the art direction appear to be pretty good; but they're held back by these things.
    Even the game's good points are marred by either laziness or lack of explanation. The world is interesting, and I love the setting, but after the end of the game, I understand very little of it because it simply was not explained, and barely even touched upon. The setting allowed for some interesting elements to happen, but they simply didn't because of the simplistic gameplay, the lack of proper story-telling, and the apparently lack of simple EFFORT. My favorite thing about this game is both the setting and the sounds as a whole. I love both of them, but neither of them can carry this game to a better rating.
    And finally; the biggest failure of this game is that it seems like the devs got all the basic stuff covered and simply didn't continue from there. This is a basic, BASIC game, and these days that simply doesn't cut it. It's a painfully average experience.

If you've already purchased the game; I'm sorry.
    If you plan to; Don't. Rent it and see if you feel the same.
    If you somehow think this game is still amazing; Well, good for you. I wish I could think the same.
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    Mehhh. Game is just o.k. It's such an obvious console game that it really feels kinda scrub on the PC. Illusion of choice in all the levels, because they are actually quite linear. The game basically punishes you for killing people, so the "right" way to play it is to avoid everything and not kill anyone. This basically ruins the point of using all the cool powers and weapons. My biggestMehhh. Game is just o.k. It's such an obvious console game that it really feels kinda scrub on the PC. Illusion of choice in all the levels, because they are actually quite linear. The game basically punishes you for killing people, so the "right" way to play it is to avoid everything and not kill anyone. This basically ruins the point of using all the cool powers and weapons. My biggest complaint however is you basically HAVE to keep the power that lets you see through walls on 24/7. Without it you are at a huge disadvantage. The problem is this means you're playing in washed-out sepia mode with annoying music / sound the entire game. Could it have killed them to put in an enemy radar?

Rent it, don't buy it.
  8. Oct 11, 2012
    I decided to play Dishonored because all the major critics were raving about it, I started it up on my PC after watching the cinematic trailer. Let me ask you a question, do you love Deus Ex? If you answered yes to that question then I think you'll enjoy what little time you get with Dishonored (And I mean little.) I disliked the game for a number of let me lay them on the table here.I decided to play Dishonored because all the major critics were raving about it, I started it up on my PC after watching the cinematic trailer. Let me ask you a question, do you love Deus Ex? If you answered yes to that question then I think you'll enjoy what little time you get with Dishonored (And I mean little.) I disliked the game for a number of let me lay them on the table here.

1). Terrible narrative, and overall bad character development.
    2). Linear (With branching paths) gameplay.
    3). Heavily broken gameplay.
    4). Deus Ex Human Revolution STEAMPUNK STYLE!
    5). Feels like the art designer at 2K helped... The style is very similar

So let's talk about the narrative. I didn't care about Corvo, nor did I care about the little girl he should be saving, I found that even the villains are boring and not worth my time. I haven't seen such stiff lifeless looking characters since 2004... The characters do not feel alive, or even well animated, before you go running to that whole "It's not supposed to look realistic!" Yeah I realize that but the animations should have looked better, this part of the game just felt really unpolished and pulled me out of the immersion. I didn't find the story original. The whole "I want revenge for being betrayed BWAHHH!" is so overdone I could have done with out it, and the twists in the games story are just, well let's say that I don't know very many people that wouldn't see them coming. The gameplay is the big thing here though right? Wrong the "Play the way you want" model is the oldest trick in the book, the illusion of control. You do have several ways that you can complete the missions set in front of you, and let me tell you killing people in a number of ways, or knocking them unconscious has never felt so dull. I found that a lot of your options start feeling less like options and more like toys to play with, witch is neat except that I got that little feeling in the back of my mind that made me realize that they weren't as rewarding as they probably meant for them to be. I felt like even though my options were open they were limited. If you'd like to kill you have a nice set of gameplay styles to choose from like razor mines, a pistol, a crossbow for silent takedowns, even the sword takedowns pretty nifty to be absolutely honest, if you want to do the whole non-lethal thing though well... You get sleep darts, and chokeholds, that's all folks! not many options in there. Your essentially given the most game breaking skill right off the bat and that's the blink skill. Blink allows you to teleport anywhere you aim. Blink is neat but it makes the game amazingly easy even on hard. and I couldn't justify why it felt so limitless. The false feeling of progress also felt really empty to me with the game giving me dozens of objects to pick up! It felt almost like the game kept trying to give me depth but it just felt so shallow. The AI is ludicrously stupid, I found myself easing by them all the time, and if you want to kill easy, stop time! The game feels very borrowed, I didn't feel one ounce of originality or a sense of fleshed out personality from this game. "Deus Ex did it better" were the words that kept crossing my mind. I realize that the whole cyberpunk thing doesn't appeal to everyone and this steampunkish styled world might come off a bit more appealing to others! Well good news it does do a decent enough job at giving you an interesting idea. I enjoyed as much of Dishonored's setting as I did skyrim's arrow to the knee crap... It felt bland and lifeless, and once again I find myself comparing it to the all mighty Deus Ex. Have you ever played Bioshock? Great game, I enjoyed it tons! This game feels like it stole that charm. I feel like the art design for the game just felt old out-dated and bland. Bioshock had this way of letting us feel interested in the world around us, it thrusted us a man of mystery and unknowing into a world full of the same, and made us feel interested and charmed. Dishonored feels so borrowed and so un-original I don't recommend buying it if you played Bioshock, or Deus Ex. The game is REALLY short, ends suddenly, and becomes tedious. I think though if you haven't played a lot of games, and you by chance did touch those two games I mentioned because they're settings and plot didn't interest you, you might like it. I won't say it's a bad game but it is definitely overrated. I beat it twice and liked some of it, but I will admit to you that it in the end had a very, very, very, very hard time holding my interest... So if you want more of what Deus Ex had to offer but want a cut-short and flat feeling experience go for it.

Overall I'd say pass.
  9. Sep 15, 2015
    One of the better games in the stealth/action genre. It has excellent design philosophy and quality - close to the standard set by half-life 2.

Compared to Metro Last light, this has better gameplay mechanics, especially when stealth is considered. Its a very good port. Controls are very smooth, FOV is adjustable, you can pause any time, cutscenes can be skipped, alt-tab works well, levels load fast, and there is a nice old-fashioned manual save system. It even resumes reliably from S3 sleep. The writing is above average. Although linear, levels are well designed with multiple routes to objectives. Voice acting is good, but american - I would have preferred europeans in this victorian industrial setting. The graphics are technically average, but artistically very nice. All the textures are based on watercolor art instead of photos - it looks lovely.

This game is good, but some things prevent it from being great: The gameplay is solid, but we have seen it all before - it is very mainstream and not “realistic” - guards are as dumb as usual, and if I had to sneak past one, there was always a perfectly placed cover object etc, and I would roll my eyes. The game is also not very “large” - it was probably made on a modest budget by AAA standards. I also do not like the dark magic theme (though I do like the steampunk theme).

Overall, this is a quality game I can easily recommend.
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    Very good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, butVery good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, but could contain a few missions and gameplay hours more. The graphics unfortunately are not that great on PC, especially some of the textures are rather low quality. Still a recommendable game though. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2014
    People will most likely to hate me for giving it a score of a simple 7, seeing how many rated the game from 9 to 10, but Dishonored did not meet my expectations.
    The gameplay is fun, and the story is full of potential that in my opinion is not used.
    Cut-scenes are mostly boring and the plot is only seen at the start of the game and through the rest of it, it's implied. I love the
    I love the super-natural touch in the game and the optional objectives, but I just keep feeling like something big is missing.
    As a stealth action game it's working and not missing much.
    However after getting used to the game and playing it for about 3 hours I enjoyed it quite more.
    Also I love the graphics style, it's like a 3D oil painting.
    There's too little about the main protagonist all the information you get is his job and how he got, wait for it.... ~DISHONORED~. And usually it's no problem. but only when throughout playing the story you discover more and more, and here it feels like I'm a puppet in every mission.
    And being the puppet that you are, you can't do much else so you keep doing the same thing over and over again It's quite boring.

The game is fun, but it's missing a thrill.
  12. Mar 31, 2014
    As far as the gameplay goes, it's excellent.
    Stealth mechanics are superb. interesting level design with multiple ways to complete each mission.
    The story decent, but my main gripe is the characters themselves: voice acting is meh, dialogues are boring and and overall pretty dull. plus the protagonist is silent so you don't really gets attacked to him. (although he is not customized)
    As far as the gameplay goes, it's excellent.
    Overall had a lot of fun, but could have been much better.
  13. Nov 6, 2012
    Dishonored world and gamestyle closely resemble Thief series which is one of my favorite series. But the game has some undeniable flaws. Firstly the story of Dishonored is predictable, secondly game can't keep up the fast pace nor keep it interesting. Thirdly, the difficult is too easy even in hardest difficult settings if you play as assassin and game is frustrating if playing asDishonored world and gamestyle closely resemble Thief series which is one of my favorite series. But the game has some undeniable flaws. Firstly the story of Dishonored is predictable, secondly game can't keep up the fast pace nor keep it interesting. Thirdly, the difficult is too easy even in hardest difficult settings if you play as assassin and game is frustrating if playing as pacifist. Also game is too easy at the end because character development. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little thatThis is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little that motivates you to go too far off the beaten path, no real reason to explore the nooks and crannies. The missions themselves are usually pretty similar in nature each time (you can meet them with different methods, but still basically the same kinda missions), there are a few missions that are a bit different, but not different enough or unique enough to really warrant much mention. It seems like this game would have benefited from a better upgrading system, the upgrades you can get are not very exciting, thus there is very little motivation to strive to find more coin to reach for that next awesome upgrade, nothing like that at all. It's an enjoyable game, and I'll continue playing for some time still, but once it's run it's course I probably won't ever come back to it for further play in the future. If they made another Dishonored game, but instead of trying so hard to make the stealth aspects the major gameplay mode, they shifted it into more of an action and exploration oriented RPG with a more open-world feel to it, this game would be great. I think that's where this particular game would meet it's highest potential. Expand
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    Despite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bowDespite its a solid game, i think its overrated. Its more a "Deus Ex want to be" game than it is. The Story is okay, and the idea is working. But the gameplay is just to linear. Its more a simpler gameplay version of Deus Ex mixed with the World of Half-Life 2. The weapons are more or less to weak. If you want to play stealthy you never can do other things guards hear your silent bow trough walls. So the "silent" way is always getting behind enemy's, one by one.

Its not bad at all, but it could be so much more. And so DX and DX:HR are the better alternatives.
    And maybe there has been some cuts for being playable on consoles what it makes it to simple to play.

I would rate it lower just because it was so much hyped.
  16. Dec 23, 2012
    It is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. TheIt is really baffling me, how this game gets top ratings everywhere. Ideas from other products get shamelessly recycled. What you get for your money is a basic sneak-and-shoot game, in pretty neat Steampunk'ish environment, along with an unnecessary half-assed skill feature. Rather then depending on your skill as a players you can unlock abilities that make the game ridiculously easy. The choice of weapons is reduced to a generic pistol and a generic crossbow /comes now with the official cheating ammunition: Sleeping darts!!!)

Story: 4/10 Standard stuff and mostly predictable (to me at least)

Graphics: 5/10 Beeing a fan of Steampunk, I was enthusiastic at first. However after playing the game for some time i noticed, that the graphics are not quite up to date. Texturework tends to get muddy, animal models are laughable (espacially the dogs). Because most of the levels look quite alike the sections look Sound: 6/10 The score is ok but nothing too memorable, overall it gets you in the mood, nothing more nothing less.

Gameplay: 4/10 You get 4-5 hours of unspoiled and exciting gameplay, where you have the impression of an open world in which you can interact. Until you suddenly realise that this game is more linear then plain old Half-Life and that most of the encounters can be handled in quite similar ways. None of them seem balanced to this point. The two main options are either Sneaking or sabotaging (difficult but more exciting) or Fighting and performing magic (easy and unrewarding). The few instances where you have to forge plans on how to infiltrate a place are spoiled by the fact that the possible alternatives are pointed out so plainly obvious, that it hurts.
    Verdict: Not bad, but in dire need of some balancing/expanding. For now better stick to System Shock 2, Bioshock, or the Thief series...
  17. Dec 20, 2012
    Honestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full ofHonestly, I think the critics are sometimes completely blind. I really thought this game was something out of this world. It's true that some of the game play is quite good but nothing to shout about. The A.I is mediocre and quite repetitive. One area that baffles me is where you have to kill the lady at the party. You have to blend in with the crowd but then you walk with a sword full of blood, the people just don't seem to give a damn if you are here to kill and the only thing the guards tell you is to put it away. I mean WTF !! Anyway, I still haven;t finished the game yet as it's getting a bit boring now ! I'll give it a go during the weekend to see if it's worth carrying on !! Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2013
    Flavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try toFlavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try to run-and-gun through a stealth game. This brings forward another problem: not enough non-lethal options. The whole game can be beaten by blinking behind enemies, choking them, and hiding the body in a dumpster and, sadly, this is the most effective way to beat the game.

For being so plot-centric, Dishonored's story is disappointingly predictable and the ending boils down into two paths (high or low chaos). Dishonored is missing something thematically at it's core but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps this is one of the few FPS games that would benefit from stylistic cutscenes instead of locked & zoomed camera interludes.

Dishonored is a refreshingly creative stealth game with very stylized graphics that will stand the test of time (the same can't be said for the gameplay sadly). I think this is worth playing but it is disappointing to see what could have been if Arkane stuck to creating solely a strong stealth game.
  19. May 13, 2013
    Reminiscent of Thief and Bioshock, this game is enjoyable only to those who choose to play it "properly". Those who enjoy to run in guns blazing aren't likely to have a lot of fun here, or would be better suited in just playing Bioshock Infinite instead. However, those who like to stealthily avoid conflict and explore the world before them will have a blast.
    I myself enjoyed this game,
    I myself enjoyed this game, but I do have a few issues with it.
    For one, it's far too short. Can't really expand much on this. I'm the kind of guy who likes to find everything as well, but I still found this to be a far too short story.
    Secondly, some of the textures just don't look right. I love the hand-painted style of the textures in the game, but some of them just look muddy and bland, which detracts from the otherwise superb style.
    Finally, I don't think character development is done well enough for a game like this.
    However, fans of Deus Ex Human Revolution, Bioshock and the old Thief games should definitely give this a look.
    A final note is that this game is very well optimized, meaning it'll run even on a moderately weak PC splendid!
  20. Oct 24, 2012
    In short words its quite good mix of hitman and bioshock placed in steampunk ? world.
    I love games which give me a choice how to play, and Dishonored is just the way i like to play, however story is rather dull, and game is little too short (i completed it after 15 hours of play on hard difficulty)
    To be honest i expected more, but its still a good game.
  21. Jan 10, 2013
    This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.This is an entirely decent game. That being said, there is nothing exceptional or otherwise noteworthy about it. I picked it up during a Steam sale at a discount (I payed $30), but had I purchased it at full price of $60 I would have been very disappointed. It may be worth $30 if you want an OK game, but it is by no means worth $60. Wait until the price drops for this game to purchase.

The Good:
    The voice acting is quite superb. The game creators got very good cast together to deliver some very good dialogue.

The overall feel of the in-game universe comes across quite well, especially during the first few missions. I recall that Viktor Antonov, one of the guys who designed the art behind of Half Life 2, designed the overall feel of Dishonored, and this feeling is pervasive through the game. The tone and mood of the environment come across very starkly to the player, and this adds to the immersion of the game, and contributes to feeling like you're actually in a real dystopian steam-punk world, not unlike Half-Life 2.

The Bad:
    The gameplay is weak. This was a difficult observation to make based on the great overall feel of the universe. This game manages to combine a masterful universe with mediocre gameplay, and gameplay that belies the mastery of the in-game universe. This contrast is quite jarring at times.

The control system was clearly no optimized for PC play. The game is nothing like Batman: Arkham City, where clear effort and time went into a PC input scheme to optimize the play for the PC players. With the plethora of powers and abilities that the character has access to, it would stand to reason that some powers could be directly mappable to the keyboard. This is not the case: the character may only use one power at a time (and this includes some of the less-active powers, such as dark vision and blink, and have the sword out all the time. This becomes awkward in certain non-aggressive missions when having your weapons out is quite silly, and could have been solved with a better keyboard mapping system, and a little bit of time spent optimizing the controls for PC play.

The plot is terrible. I won't give any spoilers, but if you have half a brain you should figure out exactly what is going to happen by the end of the first mission set. This game fails to surprise, but that alone does not condemn the plot. It failed to be unsurprising in a passably interesting manner.

The game feels incomplete, and there is not enough game, especially for a $60 big-production title. This is to say, it's way to damn short, and it moves far too quickly. I have the distinct feeling that this game was intended to be about twice or three times as long, and then got pushed out to sell the title more quickly.

For an example of this incompleteness. The first mission is amazing. Several side missions, tons of content, many paths to victory, later on this is simply not the case. The mission maps become increasingly linear, boring, and lack the side content of the first few missions.

Overall:

Play it when its $20-30 or wait for something better. This game surfers from a serious lack of game time, and a rushed plot. 9 missions is simply not enough. With so many ways to play this game it could have been much longer without getting boring since there is always more than three ways to accomplish the mission objectives. The controls are frustrating, and combat is utterly trivial. This game survives a failing rating due to its excellent "feel," but suffers critically from a lack of in-game substance, insufficient storyline, control issues, and mediocre game-play at best. This game has potential, but we'll never know unless they release a SDK or something where players can add mod content, but I wouldn't hold out for that.
  22. Oct 19, 2012
    This is a good game. Yet that is where I will stop. I know lots of people are giving this game rave reviews, but I simply cannot.

First, the art style is intriguing and much of that is a personal taste. I normally like steampunk, or in this case whaleoilpunk. Yet the characters are downright ugly. If that was their choice so be it. I know there is a bleak aspect to the game considering they are in the middle of a plague. Yet being constantly surrounded by ugly characters is not enjoyable. There is also the texture issues, and the fact they some things are just poorly done. I am not lowering this game much for the graphics (no game should be), yet this does have graphical issues.

Second, there just is not a lot of character development. There is world development if you choose by reading the books scattered throughout the world. Yet the character development is fairly poor. I wanted to more about all these people I was working with and also the ones I was killing. Yet other than a few conversations and the random really brief letter/diary you can pick up it's really sparse.

Third, the gameplay can be fun at times and tedious at others. I cannot count how many times I went to choke a player and instead went into the defensive stance which alerted them to my presence. The computer AI sometimes seems real good, and at other times seems braindead. Yet it can still be fun flying all over the place and avoiding detection or simply going in and wiping the floor with everyone (although the hand to hand combat can be a chore at times).

Fourth, once you pick a style of play it really starts to feel repetitive. They do introduce some new stuff here and there, but for the most part you will be doing the same thing. They even repeated a level, which ticked me off.

Overall, the game can be a fun experience for a little while, and it can be fun finding all the different ways around things. Yet I did not find this game as special at others. Perhaps it's the simple lack of good stealth type games on the market anymore, but in the end I found this worthy of only a 7 (which means to me worth a playthrough by renting it, but certainly not a buy).
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    Dishonored is a great example of a game that payed for good reviews. I'd hoped that some publishers were beyond bribery. I was wrong. Since I have to make this longer than 150 characters, here you are.
  24. Nov 4, 2012
    It's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get isIt's perfect in every aspect apart from it's length. The characters designs are brilliant and the atmosphere really allows you to immerse yourself into the game world. There's a perfect balance in deciding whether to go for the lethal or non-lethal approach, which many games tend to get wrong such as Deus Ex. The only problem I had with Dishonored was it's content. Sure, what you get is amazing but you can't help but feel you could've had more. It's a good job the game has great replay-ability and I'm sure than any future DLCs that come this game's way will be just as brilliant. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2012
    New and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to aNew and innovative is something I reserve for games like Portal - which brought a whole new dimension to FPS strategy, or From Dust which built on the Populas idea with a refreshing new twist. Generally speaking the new and innovative these days comes from the same place it's always come - Indie gaming. The thing about Dishonored is that it mixes ideas already in use, and not to a remarkably new extreme. First I'll mention the graphics. From the reviews I read I was expecting something special and the artistic style is actually a very nice blend of steam/cyber punk and ye olde world toffery. But the graphics themselves leave a lot to be desired as they feel incredibly flat, and they actually aren't too atmospheric. The feeling of a living breathing world is also somewhat absent due to the linear nature of the levels. True there might be a side alley to lead you to your objective by a hidden route, but it is literally one purpose built alley and built for that very purpose. The premise for the game play is not a million miles away from Hitman or Splinter Cell - only you have a few magic tricks to help you on your way. The difference is that a game like Hitman will provide you with many different options for completing a mission - you might steal a key card, steal and wear a uniform, assassinate from afar with a sniper gun, poison a meal, etc etc. With dishonored you might steal a key - but that's the only option you really have in terms of open play because you are given no others. And so few civilians too. Even dark shady enterprises have civilians working for them. The story is also not the best. The setup is fantastic, the setting is great but the story itself was only vaguely interesting to me - and the more supernatural elements to the story I just found boring. In terms of what I was expect/hoping for I was disappointed. I put it on hard level and completed the game in less than 15 hours. I don't have any real yearning to go back either. When Bioshock came out and got rave reviews - the game I played surpassed my expectations (yes it's amazing!), I can say the same about Arkham City and Skyrim. The latter 2 games I have poured hours and hours, days of my life into - and which have rewarded me immensely! But I payed an equal price for all of these games. All at approximately £30. Had this game come in at half that price then I would probably mark it higher. But there is simply nothing in the game mechanics that struck me as 'wow I can do that!?' like the Gravity gun in HL2, or the Portal gun. Possession is only a new idea if you discount any of the sci-fi games which allow you to take control of robots. Teleporting is not a new idea. Sneaking around to get to an object is not a new idea. I wanted to like this game, I really did. But I was left rather hollow by it. However, I have played at least 70 hours of Skyrim and have loads left to do, so if I add the two games together and split the cost (same developer) then that's currently 42.5 hours per game and £30 a game, so it's not all bad.
    I feel a bit like a marketing genius has mind freaked all the critics into believing red is yellow, and they all went 'Oh yeah!' It's not a bad game, but it's not as exceptional as one might have hoped.....or been lead to believe!
  26. Nov 12, 2012
    I've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that itI've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that it feels quite limiting to the overall approach one should take throughout the game. This is coming from someone who prefers more open-ended games with a lot of weapons and less feeling of guilt as a result of using lethal force to neutralize hostiles. Anyway, I'm not discouraging people from playing Dishonored. I'm just suggesting that if you're favorite approach to combat is putting all bad guys to sleep without being detected, than this is right up your alley. Expand
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    I beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always putsI beat this game on the hardest level in under 15 hours on my first go, killing almost no-one. I wanted to go for the "ghost" achievement as well (as I normally do) but it is impossible to tell if an NPC has spotted you or not. As, is my first complaint, there is no meaningful indication to if you are hidden or not or if you have been 'spotted'/ Peeking over corners and sides always puts you in line of sight, and it's basically luck if they see you or not (reminiscent of FPS mode in Metal Gear Solid 2). NPCs will start looking for you on one side of the map if you throw an empty bottle on the other. The entire hide and seek system is wonky and unnatural feeling.

I've been told this game is a sandbox and I'm playing it wrong. But how can you have a sandbox game with linear objectives (even the "alternative methods" present themselves linearly) and static environments. You can't blow up walls, knock over things, or put anything to use in the environment. The extent of environment interaction is turning off a barricade, disabling a turret, throwing empty bottles or throwing explosive barrels, take your pick. Oh also, this is a level based game
  28. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is fun, but it is certainly not the 8.7 reviewers give it. The game is really linear. Although the levels are large, you end up going back to the same areas. Another problem is that the gameplay is very repetitive. I spent most of the game hiding behind boxes with dark vision on. Jump out when they turn around and knock em out. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum until you've beaten the game. This game really reminded me of the old Thief series, just not as much fun. Although this is a stealth game most of the upgrades are for combat. Of all the runes and weapon upgrades most were pointless. You could easily beat the game with just the starting equipment and no runes or charms.

My biggest problem was the silly story. It was painfully obvious that you were going to be betrayed by the loyalists from the beginning. The dialouge was sooooo boring, and little to do with what you actually do in the levels. Graphically the game was OK, but not incredible. I have to give this game a 6.5 out of 10.
  29. Oct 16, 2012
    It's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the settingIt's one of those games that you start playing with your "positive" glasses on because of the hype from critics, reviews and a respectable studio name. As you play, you slowly start picking up on negatives and after a while all you can see are the negatives and you find yourself wondering if any of these critics played the whole game before giving it a 100. The atmosphere and the setting is impressive and it gives you a good start, but once you get accustomed to these factors you start looking for more. That Expand
  30. Oct 17, 2012
    Mediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoyingMediocre game at best. With all the hype, I expected better game play and graphics. It seems like this game struggles to find its own personality. AI is clumsy and weak, even on hardest setting. The "stealth" is waste of time as there is really no stealth actions, and you get "punished" for just killing everyone. The graphic art is interesting at first but I found it to get annoying really fast. I found myself only playing for about 45-60 minutes at a shot because the motion blur / camera design made me sick. Maybe worth a rent, but not $60. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]