8.3

1. Feb 3, 2013
    So I have just completed the game again, but this time in a stealthy tactical way and the ending was totally different and defintly a lot more enjoyable, I would still recommend this game to anyone
  2. Jan 4, 2013
    This game is just one of those ground-breaking games that comes around every now and then. You can beat it, play it again, and then play it again, even though you are still following the same story, with variations here and there. It is a fine mix of skill, story, and choice, which is very, very rare in today's gaming world. And to hajducek, you should try playing the expert mode. Not so easy eh? I am so glad this game was created and hope to see more of it in the future. I would probably give it a 98/100. Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    This is my first review on metacritic, and really my first review of a video game at all. I've been a gamer for the last 20 yrs and rarely has a game sparked my enjoyment as much as this game has. I am primarily a pc gamer and recently have been using steam to purchase games for a discount. Most games I feel are not worth the $50-60 price tag for a variety of reasons. Dishonored is one of those games I feel is worse the full price. What it does it does really well. The controls are smooth, on the pc I haven't encountered any bugs, and the gameplay is phenomenal. I think the look and feel is really similar to bioshock and that Expand
  4. Feb 7, 2013
    This game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for it or watch a spoiler (I suggest you don't). If your someone looking for some single player excitement then this is the right game for you. Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    This game has all the best features of bio shock and assassins creed. my only wish was if the campaign had a better ending and maybe a more interactive story
  6. May 4, 2013
    one of the best games ever!!!!!! this is just a perfect game. everything in this game is done great. the story is great. you really care for the characters and you do want to get your revenge. the gameplay is amazing. its hard to describe the greatness of the gameplay. the gameplay is really unique. the good thing about the gameplay is that you can play how you want. you can be sneaky, but if you want you can also kill everyone face to face. there are also multiple ways to do everything. there are a lot of paths to get to your objective. there also a lot of ways to do your objectives. the powers in the game are really fun and useful. the sidequests in the game are really fun and cool and its a blast to do them.
    the game looks amazing. from a technical perspective it isnt impresive but the art style is so good that it makes up for it. the city where the game happens is called dunwall, and its amazing. there wasnt a game location as good as this since bioshock. dunwall is amazing and beatiful, and it has a lot of detail put into it.
    this is maybe the best game ever!!!!!!! if you cal yourself a gamer you should definetly try it!!!!!!!
  7. Apr 20, 2013
    I love this game, just can't not live without playing this to end. Its just best sneak game ever. I'm hoping they make dishonored 2 and more maps and bigger ones. This is what you call an awesome game,
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    Overall an awesome game that has this slight Half Life 2 feel to it because it has these huge walls blocking your way just like in HL2 and sometimes you can hear sounds in the background that sound very similar to some of the background sounds in HL2.
    Graphics are pretty and nice to look at. Environments are very detailed and just look amazing. There are plenty of places to explore and
    there are some little side quests you can do. Game mechanics mostly feel solid but teleporting does not want to work every time the way you want it to work. Sword fighting can be bit frustraiting because enemys tend to block your hits quite well and there are some enemys who become immune to your sword for a few seconds when they block.
    It is very easy to sneak around. AI seems to be blind in some cases and they don't see you when your above their heads.
    Story was good but nothing amazing
    Well... It would of been nicer if it had slightly bigger world and you had more freedom like you have in GTA or Assassins Creed but overall it was a nice experience and definitely one of the best games of 2012.
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    As to be expected, the good or stealth play through is pretty boring. I like it because it is my playstyle. The bad or kill all enemies play style is much more enjoyable. There are vastly more animations for killing people than choking them from behind. I like the style of the game. It averages at 50fps on my i5 and HD 5770 graphics card.
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Dishonored is the perfect mix between old games and new games. The game is presented with some old gameplay stiles. The first one which we can see is Thief's stealth system based on sounds and on darkness. The second is surely the "Bioshock Superpowers" that the main character has. The third one is a city very similar to City 17 (Half Life 2), in facts the city has been designed by Antonov, Half Life's designer. If we consider main quest's length, we could see that is very short, but the levels could be repeated a lot of times, using different action methods and changing the difficult. The main character, Corvo Attano, is muted like Gordon Freeman and Mario due the developers who would to made silent character to have a better representation of themselves in the game. The other character, anyway, Emily, is very important for the game and for Corvo, in facts the two people will be united by an affection link, and this relationship will be very visible and moving. So, Dishonored is one of the best game I ever play, considered I played other big games like Bioshock, Deus Ex, Thief, Half Life and a lot of Elder Scrolls. If you love this games too, so you should absolutely try Dishonored. Expand
  11. Dec 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games of 2012. Simple incredible, almost perfect. Plot gripped me from the very beginning. Amazing combat and especially stealth system. Try hardest difficulty with no kill anyone. Also try to gather all coins in the game it was very hard and very entertaining!
    The only thing that saddened me is the ending feel quite empty and does not explain anything. Anyways,
    the game is great, I am waiting for DH2 Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing! Those who like stealth games will sure love this game. Great Graphics, Great story, everything in this game is perfect!

Great job Arkane Studios!!! 10!
  13. Apr 10, 2013
    I never completed my first play through, because I tried to just kill everyone in my way, and it got kinda boring. However, I decided to give it a try, going stealth mode. I killed a grand total of 7 people through the game, and it was amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire game, sneaking, knocking people out, running down unmarked side quests, and trying to find the best way to move about each level. The mechanics are great, but what really got me was the story, when the game ended, I felt like I just finished a great book, like a tiny piece of me had ended with the game. I know that sound ridiculous and exaggerated, but this really is the most captivating game I've ever played. It really isn't for everyone, but if it is your type of game, or you are just curious, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  14. Apr 13, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Everything in it is so great that You would like to spend with it every single minute of Your free time. Music, plot, climate, NPC, main character are awesome. It is only a peaty that game isn't very long. If You ever imagined what will come from matching Bioshock and Deus Ex You don't have to do this anymore, because answer is simple Dishonored.
  15. Apr 28, 2013
    One of the best games of all time in my opinion. And the game doesn't needs "Crysis-like" graphics and level design to deliver, a brutal, merciless, engaging adventure, in a chaotic city, dying at the hands of corrupt governants, and deadly diseases. Also, this game has an amazing artwork, probably one of the best, to ever show up in a game, definitely an underrated game. 10/10 Has a Huge Replay value, and the game world will react differently to your (Corvo) actions, and play-style. Totally worth it, the ending gave me "goosebumps", Corvo, even though, he does not actually speaks in game, is a very likeable character, the same applies to all others, who you will constantly meet, throughout your adventures, and miss them a lot, when, they are gone. Expand
  16. Dec 6, 2013
    For Dishonored if you run through the area stabbing everyone you see you are playing the game entirely wrong Dishonored is a game that wants you to take your time instead of running in through the front entrance of a building you can choose to go in stealthily in some levels of the game there are almost 10 different ways of going in for example you can use possession on an animal (or human) and sneak in through an air duct or you can use teleportation to climb the building itself.

Dishonored also holds a trait on how skilful you are at holding the urge to kill someone who is really annoying your way through you can basically go through the whole game without killing a single person doing this can produce a better outcome at the end of the game.

Dishonored itself is different because instead of awarding you for killing people and completing the game it gives you consequences, its a smart system that will change how you will think the next time you will play.

Dishonored is a masterpiece and will keep you occupied for well over 50 hours.
  17. Oct 1, 2013
    Dishonored is the best stealth-game available. It also have a very cool steam-punk setting and nice rpg-elements.The story is ok, but the missions the story provide a backdrop for are excellent.
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is in no way "shallow, tedious, or boring," gimmedatsammich. I dont know what Bethesda did to get you so butt hurt and upset, but dont take it out on this game. QQ elsewhere.
  19. Dec 7, 2013
    Dishonored is one of the most thrilling games I have ever played. There are different ways to complete the game. Stealth, assassinating, or both. Dishonored is my game of the year.
  20. Sep 27, 2013
    I don't know what to say.
    Great story, they perfected it.
    The whole stealth mode is awesome and the weapons you have are epic.
    You will need skill to pass this game on normal or hard.
  21. Oct 12, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game at all, i played it like three times in all the levels for check out what was different and of course the DLCs were so cool the whole story is just incredible...hope we'll get another DLC like the last one.
  22. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is FANTASTIC! great gameplay story but the graphics are a little too outdated but you can pick this game up at gamestop for about 29.99$ which is not that bad.
  23. Sep 8, 2013
    I have never heard the name of the publishers as much as the more over-rated publishers out there but this game is by far the most awesomely built game of the year and it takes less disk space compared to the over-rated useless games releases this year
  24. Sep 14, 2013
    This game is pure gold. The story is amazing and the gameplay is great. The stealth is good as well. and the multiple parts and different choices give variety to the game.
  25. Sep 19, 2013
    Dishonored has a great immersive atmosphere to the player when doing anything from missions to side quests. You have a little "free time" option where you can walk around, talk to people, buy items or upgrades for Corvo. You wield two weapons at a time. A trusty blade in one hand and a weapon of your choice in the next. Summon swarms of rats upon your enemy, stealthily take them down, or sneak right past them. You have a big variety of magic uses, weapon uses, and tactics. The game features a "decide your fate" type of story so every little action you make, killing civilians, enemies, or even saving them, they may comeback later and change the story. With alternate endings anything is possible. You decide the entire game. Beware though, not everyone is a friendly as they seem. Expand
  26. Oct 24, 2013
    Even a year on there is still a stack of replay value. Dishonored is often touted as a "spiritual successor" to Thief but in reality it's so much more. I loved the Thief games but going back to Thief after playing Dishonored is like going back to the original Wolfenstein after playing Unreal Tournament 3.

The main campaign admittedly feels short but there's so many ways you can play
    through it without feeling stale that it more than makes up for it, and both DLC packs are top notch. Expand
  27. Oct 24, 2013
    This is a fun game. Great story line and great graphics. the DL content was even fun. there's so many ways to play this game that you'll make repeat runs thru it. I got the game and the dl content on steam for a great price. If you have a mid level gaming pc with a decent card. Go get the GOTY edition of this. you won't be disappointed..
  28. Dec 21, 2013
    After finishing the game, I was not that much impressed with the storyline. The gameplay however, was totally different story. I love freedom in games. If you are looking for game like Hitman: Blood Money combined with Deus Ex, then this is the game for you. Everything is permitted. You have to ability to chose the location, the weapon, the person, the powers, the amount of guards and even the route towards your destination. The game watches how you play, if you play stealthily (kill little to no guards, don't blow stuff up etc.) or gun's blazing (blow everything, nothing survives etc.) the game adapts itself. If you play stealthily, the missions further on will contain less security, if you gun's blazing on the other hand, you will have to fight an entire army.

All and all, It was a satisfying game and very recommendable.
  29. Nov 17, 2013
    Awesome game, probably the best stealth game ever.
    Really hope they make Dishonored 2.
    The only thing I didn't like was how short it was, I finished the game in like 3 days, non-detection and non-lethal.
  30. Dec 3, 2013
    This is just one of the best single player games i have ever played its still a port for the pc but its really well done and it doesnt feel like it the story is really good and i like the fact that some characters reaction and the ending change depending on how you play the game, (i must say all endings are great) and the game play its really good cause you can go on a killing rampage or play like a ghost and they both feel really natural, playing this game i felt 10x more like an assassin than in any of the assassins creed games. 10/10 really recommended. Expand
  31. Dec 13, 2013
    This is the best game I have played to date. This is the best stealth-action game available today and I would recommend it to everyone! You can play however you want, if you want to run through the level and kill every single person you see, you can do it. If you want to sneak around and not let a single person know you were ever there, you can do it. And if you want to take your time to walk around, look at the beautiful detail in the game, you can do that too. This is a must play game for all gamers. Expand
  32. Jul 16, 2014
    The gameplay perfect (stealth and combat), the storyline was perfect, EVERYTHING was perfect! Also this game had few open world attributes, that I really liked!! This is the best game I ever played!!!
  33. Dec 26, 2013
    Dishonored is a fantastic stealth action game that can best be called a delicious fusion of Thief, Deus Ex, and BioShock. The stealth, movement, and combat mechanics are all satisfying enough to keep any gamer's attention, and the choice to kill or not kill any given foe makes for a surprising degree of replayability your choices have real effects on the world, in ways that would probably never occur to you.

I have at the present moment spent 67 hours on the game and its two story DLC (The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches). I've even gone to the trouble of playing through all of them twice to collect all the achievements. The main story campaign took me less than 15 hours my first playthrough and it's more than possible to complete the game in 10 hours or less if you really rush. However, the game has a deep world and backstory and is not meant for speedruns if take your time, search out the secrets, read the books scattered about, and listen to the goons you stalk before filling their headholes with steel, you'll discover a deep, rich, and unique world unlike anything in games today.

Gameplay is what a game lives or dies on, and Dishonored's is rock solid. Whether you want to sneak around unseen and undetected or charge in guns blazing and kill everyone in your path, Dishonored lets you carry out your assigned missions your way, without glitches, crashes, or bugs.

In addition to the excellent mechanics (on which all games live or die), Dishonored offers luxurious art (though tbqh, I feel the City 17 parallels are a little too striking), a satisfying storyline, widely varied missions, and top-flight voice acting. The music is mostly unremarkable, but since the game (quite reasonably) forces it to take a backseat to environmental and other sound effects, it's to be expected.
  34. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, the 20 hours I spent on this game were the best 20 hours of my life. The stealth mechanics are so deep and the story line is so intriguing. Two words: get. it.
  35. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Dishonored: Amazing and beautiful, the world created by Arkam are one of the most cool steam punk's i ever seen, the design of the game are truly gorgeous.
    *Gameplay: The gameplay is very fun and challenger, you can create your way using sewers, streets, roofs or you can fight using all of your weapons and powers, and killing people you will maximize the chaos and the game changes with your actions. I also finished all the DLC's of Dishonored and totally worth!

Bethesda is becoming the most interesting game developer.. A 10 to it
  36. Jan 10, 2014
    This game is absolute art. Every model in it seems to have the appropriate location, and really fits in the Victorian style that the game posses. The gameplay is exquisite and it's great the different approachs you can make to win the game. Stealth or a cold-hearted assasin? You decide. I personally won the game first in the normal mode, started killing everything the first 2 missions, and after that i never got detected. I loved the stealthy way to play it. After that i replayed it on the hardcore version and i loved it more!

Thank you arcane studios for this game, I've been a real fan of you, my favorite game before this one was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but this one, totally beated it.

10/10.
  37. Jan 17, 2014
    Bethesda did their job, and they did it extremely well. The ability of the player to change their story in Dishonored by playing the game multiple ways is an aspect which makes the game what it is...a nearly perfect experience. As strange as it is that Corvo (the main character) does not say a word throughout the game, it does not detract from the experience one bit. Be stealthy, be murderous, be what you want to be. Expand
  38. Jan 20, 2014
    A beautifully crafted stealth game from Bethesda. The atmosphere, setting, music, and gadgets all work to further immerse you in the world of Dunwall and in the role of Corvo Attano, previous Lord Protector to the Empress, trying to regain his/your honor. What Bethesda has done right is give its characters, from Admiral Havelock to lowly City Watch a good amount of depth, though the AI for enemies can be underwhelming at times. The stealth mechanics and art style are well done and keep the gameplay interesting. The story is thought out, if a bit too direct; I personally would have loved to see more of Dunwall than the fleeting glances afforded through the nine missions in the core game, though I enjoyed having varying endings whether you did the game as it was intended, in the shadows, or all out blasting through guards. Overall, if you are a fan or stealth games, beautiful level design, RPG games, moderately open world games, or something in between, Bethesda has crafted a masterpiece that in some way will impress and stick with you. Expand
  39. Feb 6, 2014
    Wonderful! Mesmerizing! Smashing! I haven't played a better game than this. Can stop myself from play it over and over again. If you are looking for a game with inspiring story, neat graphics and addictive gameplay, this is it!!!
  40. Feb 16, 2014
    I just finished " Dishonored " and I have to say the game is a masterpiece , memorable characters and dark atmosphere exactly how I like it . Artwork looks decent , the music in the game despite the gloomy climate is pleasant to the ear . The only reason could find fault with this linearity, we are led by the hand from point A to point B, but the authors tried to cover it up and gave us some alternative routes . From turn off the gates of light , transform into a rat and use of drains, by climbing the roof to the elimination the enemies in the "classic" way . When it comes to the arsenal we have available: Crossbow ( incendiary bolts , hypnotic ) , guns ( bullets exploding) any of our weapons , we can improve (range, reload speed , number of rounds) . In the game we collect Runes and Bone Charms , which significantly facilitate our game-play . Absolutely excellent game , in terms of history narrated in it . With a pure heart, I can recommend the game to anyone. Expand
  41. Mar 2, 2014
    It's a perfectly executed stealth system, at least, perfect in a gameplay sense. It may not have the intricate realism of Hitman, but it's so fun; its a game I can keep coming back to. (I've done about 11 playthroughs of the main campaign and about 4 on each DLC.) Combat is fun, stealth is fun, the story is original and nice, the level design is brilliant, and the mechanics are fresh. What else can you ask for? Well worth it.
    And it has maybe the best achievement list of any game ever.
  42. Apr 15, 2014
    Perfect. Chapters are sewn together seamlessly. The stealth was enough to take you biting your nails. The nonlinear ending was also good, making it a replayable game. Simply perfect.
  43. Mar 27, 2014
    Dishonored is EASILY my favorite stealth game of all time. While its story isn't the best, it's like DayZ where the stories you tell are the best. It mixes unique stealth gameplay with original powers to craft an experience unlike any Assassin's Creed. Thief or Hitman. The standard combat isn't very good, but it isn't the objective. Still, you can have TONS of fun with combat by mixing powers together to create devastating results. For example, you can windblast someone off a bridge, freeze time, warp to the ground and drop a spring trap, and watch the falling carcass get ripped apart. It's hysterical how fun the powers are to use. While some levels are more tedious than others, the exceptional levels are the ones I've remembered to this day. The game is memorable, fun, fast paced for a stealth game, and tells its story with efficiency. The only thing it's missing is an end-game where you could run around areas you've gone in using those powers of yours to find creative ways to down your foes. That would've made this the best game I've ever played. It still scores a 10/10 with me because of its gameplay. Despite the lack of any replay value if you play stealth, it's a great creativity device, and it is actually still worth replaying if you enjoy murdering guards with combinations of powers and a well-placed bullet.
    This game is a lot like Bioshock Infinite, if you think of it. The stories are both dystopias, both involve rescuing a damsel in distress, both are around the 10-12 hour mark with no end-game or save files, both take place before 2000 (It's hard to tell with Dishonored. It seems to take place in a steampunk society, to a degree.), and both involve extraterrestrial powers (Except that Bioshock explains them as Vigors, while Dishonored states that they originate from the Mark of the Outsider.)
    The DLC for Dishonored adds a whole new world, and does DLC right for an accurate price.
    This game was worth every penny, and I don't think I'll ever play a better stealth game.
    The game plays a silent protagonist extremely well. It's more fitting than a protagonist like, say, Garret from Thief. Corvo fits better as a silent protagonist, except, that you feel for him and his story, which motivates you to play to the end. This game tells its story flawlessly, its protagonist is silent yet memorable, and it is FUN AS HELL.
  44. Apr 27, 2014
    High replay-ability. Awesome story, graphics, environment, everything!
    Bethesda always seems to make great games, the DLCs are well worth it and add to the main story in a way not many can accomplish
  45. Sep 3, 2014
    Best stealth game in years, great level design and honestly it needs a damn sequel already, I hope that Arkane or Bethesda announces Dishonored 2 soon, i'd be one happy gamer.
  46. May 10, 2014
    Best game I ever played and I've played a lot. Beautiful dark and gritty steampunk setting and nice graphics. Even after two years it still works. But, don't be a fool and run around killing everyone. You'll finish the game in a few hours you're in for a bland and shallow experience like some critics here state. Try to play the game unnoticed by your enemies or at least try killing nobody and you're in for hours of good, sometimes frustrating game play. Expand
  47. May 16, 2014
    Dishonored is a game that just feels right.
    It gets the game play perfect and cunningly inserts the use of steampunk weaponry and magic into a plot.
    I have never played a game quite like this one.
  48. May 18, 2014
    Great game, I couldn't stop playing it until I finished, went to sleep at midnight, woke up at 7 and continued.
    The game is a stealth/action game, with sooooo many choices. Can't wait to play all the DLCs and to replay the game a few times.
  49. Jun 2, 2014
    I found this game incredibly engaging, the first time I played it I hacked, slashed, gunned, and killed everything that I could and quickly discovered that my actions were affecting the entire game in a way I didn't like. I finished the game and went back to play it with stealth and loved the experience. I am not really an achievement chaser (in fact I usually just try to finish the game and put it aside), yet I have replayed levels and the game a number of times attempting to best my last performance. I would put this game and Deus Ex: Human Revolution as two of my favorite games that I recently played, yet this one still comes out far ahead of Deus Ex. I found it far less linear and more enjoyable on replays. Overall, I would say this is one of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  50. Jul 2, 2014
    Dishonored - Example of perfect game nowadays.
    The story, the gameplay, the theme, it's everything perfectly combined.
    In this Steampunk Stealth Action-Adventure FPS video game, you are a noble, who was dishonored, intentionally accused for a murder you haven't done and sent to prison. Your purpose is to become an assassin with given special powers and cleanse yourself!

10/10 Best
    Stealth Game EVER Expand
  51. Jul 7, 2014
    Fantastic game.
    Interesting fact - the art director of this game also did Half Life 2. Notice how the enemies remind you of the combine and the technology is drawn from the same cloth. I bought this game on the stream sale last month and have played it several times. Sadly games like this do not come out very often but when they do it really shows just what this medium can offer as a
    way of telling stories. Expand
  52. Jul 22, 2014
    This game deserves far more sales than it got. It feels like what the new Thief game should have been. The controls are tight, the story is interesting and the stealth mechanics work well. I have played through three times since I bought it at release and enjoyed it at all times. Probably my third favourite game, with only The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite surpassing it. Highly recommended, especially since you can get it really cheap now.

Also, this is blatant bragging but I had the second highest score in the world for the "Back Alley Brawl" DLC for a few weeks at one point.
  53. Jul 28, 2014
    Best Game of 2012 no doubt case closed!!! If you like stealth or just going full rambo style cutting people's heads off this game is all for you! 10/10 and this game will always have a special place in my heart :)
  54. Oct 6, 2014
    The best stealth-action game ever! I've learned that our choises always matter to someone, somewhere. And sooner or later, in ways we can't fathom, the consequences come back to us.
    Spectacular and awesome kill animations
    good story (with DLC-s is full the story)
    Graphics is a little poor, but enjoyable!
    Only some bugs can be found.
  55. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by the industrial revolution era, but with some fantasy and sci fi aspects that is simply amazing to explore. Characters are at their worst completely believable plot devices, and at their best mesmerizing performances and dialogues. Third it is a game about refined art. Yes you read well. For example the music was written by Dexter's composer Daniel Licht. If you know Dexter, you know what I mean. Graphics are extremely refined, even in the brutal bloody executions. Clearly this game is targeted at an adult audience. Sadly I don't think that most people will be able to appreciate how good this game is. It is simply a masterpiece that will be remembered for the years to come. Expand
  56. Jun 23, 2014
    Excellent stealth dystopia. SCORE 95/100. Steampunk dystopian Hitman Absolution. That, by the way, makes for an awesome game. Superb controls, good RPG upgrade system, extremely cool story, and graphics that still look great almost 2 years later. If you like Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Hitman, Thief, Bioshock, Deus Ex, or Tomb Raider - then you will think this game is simply a masterpiece. You will not soon forget it. Expand
  57. Oct 13, 2012
    It would be wrong to review this until i've finished it, but my initial IMPRESSION in a 9 after doing the first two main missions. The depth grows as you play through this. But only if you make yourself challenges and dont simply combat your way through it.
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative
    review of this.. It may just be a troll ;-).. Check their other reviews to make sure. Expand
  58. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a nice atmosphere/sound effects/music, the problem with this game is just that it isn't challenging enough... you start the game and the first few levels feel awe-inspiring, but once you realise the terrible limits of the vision of the AI you really are too overpowered for any mission without getting a single upgrade. (And the upgrades are lots of fun, but they make the game become a theme park rather than the gruesome travesty that the story seems to think you are in). Still I highly recommend it. I don't know what my GOTY for 2012 is going to be, so this could still be it, but Dishonored 2 on UE4 or some other engine would just about blow my socks off. Please make it happen Arkane :) Expand
  59. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  60. Oct 6, 2014
    Amazing game! The gameplay is simply awesome. There are so many ways to tackle missions that this game deserves more than one playthrough. The setting and environments are really fantastic as this game takes inspiration from other great titles like Thief, Half-Life 2 and Bioshock and they did a good job at giving it a unique feel. I played really badass on my first playthrough and now I plan to play it again, entirely stealthy.
    In short, this is a must!
  61. Oct 13, 2012
    Very nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. Its noting like a massive jack of all trades like Skyrim, it is simply the master of sneaking style combat and game play. The game is short and sweet by design, but there's nothing wrong with this type of game if it is a complete and fulfilling experience. Expand
  62. Nov 9, 2013
    I cannot deny my love for this game, and it's been a long time coming for a review. Also, I am not being paid to do favorable reviews FOR ANY GAME. That is the most garbage, disgustingly cynical, and annoying thing any gamer would think about other people. It's strange too, because Dishonored is exactly what cynical gamers wanted, but apparently even that is not good enough, so let them drown in their own sea of irony they created themselves by crying about how games are awful now compared to retro or older games. Moronic retro hippies, gosh darn it! I bet if this was a sidescroller pixel game, they'd think it was amazing. Idiots.

Alright, now I got that off of my chest, let's talk Dishonored. I had this game for awhile already, but it earns some of my highest accolades for being the only stealth game I enjoy immensely. I don't like stealth games, for the most part, but this somehow reeled me in. First, I was immediately drawn in by the beautifully rendered setting. A dark sort of steampunk setting where instead of steam as a powersource, it's whale oil. Within this setting, you have absolute freedom to choose where you want to go, and when. There are hidden items everywhere in these places, and loot lovers like me eat that right up! However, it is mostly in a controlled, smaller environment that never feels too linear. Each mission within these areas can be completed in any way you want as you have so many awesome abilities, equipment, and accessories to help you with them. The combat is annoying and honestly far too difficult, even with my favorite spell, Slow Time, but you have that choice! I just hope you find a better way to deal with foes if you want to go on a murder spree. Otherwise, prepare for annoying cheapshots every second during combat!

Also, your choices do matter in these environments. It makes you think hard about killing, and whether or not it is the right thing to do. You can change the course of the game by these decisions, with some choices causing more of the zombies called "Weepers" to appear in later areas, or security to greatly tighten in other areas. Each area, by the way, being a mission. But even then, you can take a break from the tough decision making and go on plenty of side missions, which is an awesome bonus! You can even spend your hard earned money on upgrades, which is also great as well. I am a fan of that kind of game mechanic!

Anyways, Dishonored, as well as all of its DLC, is amazing. If you don't like it, then so be it. Just be careful, because Corvo might be in the dark, waiting to punish the haters.
  63. CBZ
    Oct 16, 2012
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Its fun to go through the maps in different ways and find all the different paths to achieve the objectives.
    The environment is very original and maps have many options despite the linear structure.
    Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is
    average at most but I expect the hard setting to be better.
    Some people are being too harsh, probably because they had such high expectations.
  64. Jul 20, 2013
    I honestly thought 2012 was a bad year in gaming, but I explored some additional releases that slipped by me recently, and Dishonored left me astonished with its phenomenal gameplay, an engrossing story and some unforgettable characters. The silent protagonist Corvo, the innocent little Emily, and the spooky Outsider are some remarkably interesting characters. Unfortunately though, that’s where the list of memorable characters ends. There’s no distinguishable antagonist and we’re given little to no background information on Corvo’s assassination targets. Besides the bizarre chaos system, the gameplay feels like a hybrid of Deus Ex and Bioshock, and it’s literally flawless. Gameplay is very smooth and hotkeys allow fluid transitions between secondary weapons/powers during combat. Players can collect unique equipment called bone charms and use them to fit their playing style.

Throughout the game, I was reluctant to kill *everyone* because not all of Corvo’s targets were necessarily evil and corrupt aristocrats, so I wanted to deviate from the ordinary assassination tactic, and thanks to Dishonored’s versatile gameplay mechanics, I got to. During a mission, you’re given “Lethal” and “Non-Lethal” methods of dealing with your target. In addition to the replay value, the versatile gameplay mechanics immerses you into Dishonored and enhances its story.

The chaos system itself isn’t the problem, it’s how this new feature was implemented into the game. Simply killing a hostile enemy will raise the overall chaos rating and ultimately make Dunwall a gloomier city. It’s not necessarily “difficult” to maintain a low chaos rating, but I did pass up on some awesome combat opportunities in effort to keep my chaos rating at bay. Fortunately, Dishonored gives the player leeway and won’t punish you for taking advantage of some fun assassination opportunities.
  65. Nov 23, 2012
    Lovely stealth game that presents great challenge on precision and execution. The story is good too but I can't really say I played it for that, but I will play through it again just to see what the other ending is and see what other ways I can go about completing my missions.
  66. Oct 15, 2012
    I'll just keep this brief, everything about this game is awesome, except the story, which is in no way interesting, it has no climax, and has an abrupt ending. What this game really has, is options, for every obstacle their can be 2-7 different ways to defeat or bypass it, while also offering an adequate stealth aspect to the game, its not shadow stealth like the older Splinter Cell games, but Line of sight stealth, its decent, what more could be said. The game also provides you with many different weapons, gadgets and powers to sneak or kill with, its just plain fun, while having a moderate amount of replay-ability. Expand
  67. Feb 16, 2013
    Lots of fun and replayability, although I wish the main story were longer. The primary strength of this game is the ability of the player to complete tasks in a variety of ways. Want to play it as an action game? Run in guns blazing and use your powers mid combat to teleport around like a bad ass. Want to play it stealthy? Go for it. Sneak around and knock out your opponents without ever letting them fire a shot. Multiple angels of approach, should I climb that building or take that tunnel? RPG customization of powers and abilities along with difficult achievements for the hardcore make this overall an excellent experience. Expand
  68. Oct 28, 2012
    Just completed first playthrough and was entertained. It certainly is no 'Thief', but I enjoyed it for what it is and not what it is not. Will definitely replay again soon. Congratulations to Arkane!
  69. Oct 16, 2012
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this.
    This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of
    melee combat, magic abilities, stealth and player choice and sets it in a beautifully imagined world rich with background story and fascinating characters. The storyline isn't something to write home about, but against the rest of this game one can almost forget there is a storyline and just immerse yourself in the beauty that is Dishonored.

Definite candidate for Game of the Year
  70. stg
    Dec 30, 2012
    Pretty awesome. The graphics are just good, but the gameplay is great fun. This game is very much structure toward stealth, so don't buy it unless you like the genre.

The universe of Dishonored is a steampunk city half destroyed by plague, and is fairly well executed.

You can go around killing everyone (but you better keep it stealthy because you won't survive being attacked by
    several enemies at once), slip around, or put them to sleep. You can also upgrade several magical powers, such as teleporting sort distances, slowing or freezing time, having enemies turn to ashes as you kill, and much more. Expand
  71. Dec 20, 2012
    Fantastic game, game of the year. Loads of options on how to approach each level and some awesome spells and abilities an real immersive game world with great characters.
  72. Dec 21, 2012
    Stalker Mage's Dream. I myself having fun being stalker in various game. I also happy to become mage too. But never i can be both in any game as they never blend stalker and mage together perfectly. Until this game, Dishonered, the game that made my dream come true. This is a Stalker Mage Dream. Must play.
  73. Mar 27, 2013
    "History repeats itself". Dishonored, a "new word" in stealth-action games is just old book in buatiful new cover. But it still good book. "Thief" for this generation
  74. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  75. Oct 27, 2012
    Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging. Had to reload a lot of times to get it perfect, but it was worth it. ...many creative / unique moments. Recommended for everybody, who loves stealthy FPS games, utopistic / apocalyptic fantasy worlds and losing him/herself into another world. :) 9/10 Expand
  76. Oct 14, 2012
    It's a good game, while it lasts. The game is pretty short (took about 10 hours to finish). The length wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could restart with all of your powers, upgrades, etc. Maybe they will add that feature eventually. Going through the game without killing is insanely hard especially when you get to the later levels, with the only way to knock someone out is to choke (Not do-able in combat) use sleep dart( which is almost ineffective in combat). There needs to be more ways to knock people out, and make people be able do it in combat. Combat is great, so are graphics. Expand
  77. Oct 14, 2012
    A great game. I counted Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my favourite game of last year, and this is a better game in many ways. The story could have been better and less generic, because the setting is utterly amazing and I feel that they kinda dropped the ball on that but it serves its purpose well enough. The gameplay is great, it does stealth better than any first person game in years and I don't think the game is as linear as people purport it to be.

So what stops the game from being a 10/10 for me? The story, which wasn't all that interesting, it gave me this Assassin's Creed 1 vibe in its simplicity. And then the length of the game. To make this game long you have to play it with the mindset of making it so yourself. The game doesn't present itself well in this regard, many players will undoubtedly rush through the game chasing objectives and then stand there with 6-10 hours played wondering where their money went. Me? My first playthrough clocked in at 22 hours. I'm working on my second "chaos" playthrough now which without doubt will go quicker but I still feel the game is worth the money.

9/10, because what the game actually has you do is utterly delicious, though it falls short in the length and main story despite that it is set in a unique, dystopian victorianesque steampunk setting with lovecraftian tendencies which I find highly interesting and want more of.
  78. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing game, marred by some TINY flaws. First of all, the game's video and audio are fantastic. Although the graphics leave something to be desired, the art style makes up for it and makes the world feel alive and unique. The sound effects are great, and the music is extremely immersible and sets the mood of many locations and levels extremely well.

The gameplay is absolutely
    brilliant. Controls are responsive and won't make you feel sluggish. The abilities and weapons in the game, although relatively lacking in variety, are just enough to make you feel powerful. On the "parkour" side of the game, the mechanics are extremely well made, and also fairly simple, although blinking onto ledges is sometimes strangely annoying. Exploring the various routes to an objective and exploring the levels to find hidden items is fun and rewarding. Combat and stealth is extremely satisfying, with weapons that feel like they have weight and power, and stealth mechanics that, although quite simple, is still extremely fun. The world is filled with books and "audiograph" machines, which helps bring the immersion to another level. NPCs will continuously talk to each and often reveal information about the game-world and also about your objectives.

On the story-side of things, although the game is fairly lean on story-telling, the story still comes from very well. The characters also gain much more depth when you talk to them directly, and also when you use the heart to discover more about them. Although I'd rather have had a longer ending instead of just a short cinematic, at the end of it all, you feel like you've truly accomplished something. The game also doesn't explain some of the other questions raised as well. What exactly was the heart? Who, or what, was the Outsider. Why the hell is Granny Rags so strange? What happens to many of the characters and targets that aren't shown in the ending? The ending, although satisfying, feels rushed.

Overall, it was a extremely satisfying and immersible experience. The only flaws were some of the things that I mentioned, and also the fact that the levels are relatively linear, but they still feel open with lots space to play your way. If you want a quality game with great immersion and gameplay, this is it.
  79. Oct 11, 2012
    This game has a lot going for it, but isn't perfect. The game gives the player a lot of freedom in how to deal with a mission. The game's story is somewhat linear, however you do get to make some big choices. The game's strength is in how many branching paths are able to be taken in a mission to get to that somewhat-linear story (an obvious example being the path of stealth versus the combative approach; but even within those two broad approaches there are so many different ways to reach the objective), which separates it from a lot of the competition. The Steampunk setting suits the theme of the game. With that said, the game isn't a graphical marvel, but the way the art-style is done makes up for that: in other words, the game doesn't have the graphical fidelity of Battlefield 3 or the Witcher 2, but the Steampunk, gloomy and 'pasty' (don't know how else to describe it!) style more than makes up for it. When you interact with NPC's in dialogue they are always doing something rather than standing still and it is very refreshing to see. For example, quite a lot of characters enjoy having a drink while talking, it's a minor thing but it imports personality into a virtual world. The weapons feel visceral, especially the pistol. Combat is pretty fun, but I always feel more satisfied taking the non-lethal stealth approach (personal preference), and it's incredibly rewarding to do so. Stealth is done very well in Dishonoured: the enemy AI isn't completely retarded, shadows allow you to stay hidden, hiding bodies is just as important as taking down your mark, etc. However the AI has a particular problem with looking up in many situations (I don't think I've ever seen a patrolling guard look up - it would add a significant layer of challenge if they did). The gadgets available are very cool and allow for an array of combinations to do away with enemies, though the possibilities aren't as expansive as to be infinite (however, we'll have to see what the community does -- there's obviously more creative people than myself that will be able to figure out some very interesting combo's) they are definitely there. Additionally, the game allows you to use hazards for your own device (e.g. reprogramming an electrical field to target enemies rather than intruders like yourself). The PC port itself is great: you have a host of options available to you including FOV (it's capped at 85, BUT you can edit the .ini files and increase it further), disabling mouse smoothing (thank GOD, I hated how Skyrim forced it on without a .ini edit), AA (choice of two), re-bindable keys, etc. The menu and hotkey system work well on PC and I'm very happy we get to use the number keys to change through weapons/gadgets instead of having to cycle through them individually, using a radial menu to equip them, or use an inventory screen to equip them. Overall a great game. One caveat however and it relates to the length of the game: If you are a person that DOES NOT like exploration AND would rather blast through the game as quickly as possible then this probably isn't worth your money (get it on sale?). If you rush you're probably only going to get like 5 hours out of it (maybe less?). I took the stealth approach, explored a ton and kept reloading saves to see if I could approach a mission differently, and in the end I clocked up about 14 hours. I'm replaying the game as we speak with a lethal approach to see how the story changes now so there's definite replayability, but my warning still stands: if you are the type of person that doesn't care about testing different approaches to missions, or exploration, or trying both lethal and non-lethal styles then I would avoid this game at full price.I for one wholeheartedly recommend this game. Expand
  80. Nov 13, 2012
    For me this is one of the best games of the year! Its open sandbax areas make it a breathe of fresh air after all the gorridor based, hand holding games of late. Choices, decisions and actions all pull together to give a unique experience, offering various play styles the ability to influence the outcome. There are a few minor niggles i experienced with AI and especially the 'blink' ability but they were few and far between and didn't tarnish my enjoyable experience. Thoroughly worth spending a few of your hard earned pennies on Expand
  81. Nov 15, 2012
    At the time of writing I have 106 games on Steam AFTER being a console gamer since the birth of them - please believe me when I say that this is (for me) simply the best game released up to this point on this planet.
    Graphics are lovely, controls are solid and fluid, story is epic, world is beautiful...I could go on and on.
    To give maybe purchasers my opinion on what you are getting
    would be to most closely associate with Bioshock. It has that kind of feel about it but with a bit of Thief and Splinter Cell thrown in for good measure.
    There are so many worse things you could do with you hard earned money - but not a lot better - trust me. A solid 9.5 pushing a 10 (always room for a pinch more). This is up with the Skyrims of this world as a masterpiece
  82. Oct 12, 2012
    A nice and solid game, still wonder how can someone rate a game bad if he/she rushed through it (5 hours? that's damn rushing).
    This isn't a "pure" fps, nor some Assassin's Creed clone, is closer to an RPG than many might think. (even thou it isn't an rgp).
    Someone complains about the setting/lore/story, have you tried to read the books and notes? or to listen to the audiographs? Sure
    the story might have been better and looks like they had to cut it, namely the end is a bit "rushed out", but still if all you care about is killing guards etc you are missing the point of the game.
    "oh my gawd this sport car sucks, took me only 1 hour to get to desto and the landscape was blurry"
    The journey is the reward not the goal. ;)
  83. Oct 10, 2012
    It is a good game. Only thing I don't like is the 85 degree max field of view without unsupported modifications, and of course the unimpressive graphics. Max settings at 2560x1440 it looks like an early release unreal 3 engine game of 5 years ago. There are many unreal 3 engine games with significantly better graphics.
  84. Jun 15, 2014
    Gameplay is top notch. The ability to take different paths through levels makes for interesting capabilities and plenty of replay value. I recommend playing the game at least twice, once killing everyone and one killing nobody (particularly to compare the differences in the end-game).

It's actually easier to play the game when killing is allowed, as if you make a mistake on a stealthy
    attack, you can expect nearby hostiles to notice you, and there's very few non-lethal ways to take out enemies (which is kind of disappointing). For example, the tallboys cannot be taken out in a non-lethal way at all. Similarly, most weapons and traps are lethal.

One major complaint I have is how light is not very useful. The main problem is that with the exception of candles, you cannot take out light sources.

The AI is typically fairly believable. One thing in particular that I liked was how the guards would notice if there should have been other guards in an area. However, you'll occasionally hear guards muttering about "knowing you're there" when they haven't seen you or any evidence of you. Guards also suck at vertical vision. You just need a little height advantage and you're as good as invisible.

The story is somewhat weak. It's fairly predictable and cliched. The environments, however, are top notch in terms of detail and immersion. I could do with the game being a little longer (my non-lethal, all collectables playthrough took approximately 15 hours), but with the replay value, Dishonored is a solid title for approximately 30 hours of play.
  85. Nov 17, 2012
    If you're after a stealth-em-up that's more story than mini-game (i.e. not another assassin's creed) then this is it. Dark and steam-punky, this is the game that us Thief fans have been needing for years. So...

GOOD: stealth game-play is awesome, world has depth and is well designed, visual style is carefully considered, voice acting is good. Did I mention the stealth game-play? It's
    really brilliant, especially if you're one of these gamers who can't drop a mission until you've done it perfectly.

BAD: fairly short, even if you re-play for achievements and alternative endings - this is the second game I've re-played in 5 years, and I'm still putting it away after 25 hours; a single walk-through could take less than 7. BTW, not a shooter!!! If you're expecting sparkling gun-play, go to Deus Ex or COD. Overall, I absolutely loved this for being brave and giving us a truly new, carefully considered world alongside some amazing stealth game-play. Sorry that it's such a play-and-put-away game, but that doesn't make me regret the purchase at all.
  86. Dec 25, 2012
    After the first hour of this game, I was very disappointed. I thought it was tedious, linear, and a complete waste of money. The trailers and and media made it seem as if the game was nonlinear and offered freedom of choice; indeed, one trailer even made it look like there'd be parkour involved. I was quite excited, and after playing through the beginning, I found the reality to be utterly disgraceful. Boring, easy enemies and a completely linear path made the gameplay a grind. Intrusive objective markers and a huge HUD floated on my screen, and poor controls made me wonder if this was really a terrible console port.

However, since I try to withhold judgment on games until I've played for at least two or three hours, I kept playing. Shortly after the first hour, the game really opened up quickly. I started discovering how useful the jump/grab system was, and I started getting into the meat of Dishonored. I messed around in the options menu, and realized I could turn off the bits of the HUD that I didn't like. I mapped the misplaced block key to one of my gaming mouse thumb buttons, which really helped the gameplay. I got out of the beginner phase, and realized the game is far from linear. Deus Ex is similar, but Dishonored is actually more open, with more realistic ways to climb over stuff in the environment.

There's no parkour, sadly, but Dishonored comes very close. You have a long reach when jumping, and you can pull yourself fluidly up on almost any plausible surface. The combat is a little sluggish, but it's nowhere near as bad as Deus Ex or Killzone 2 in that regard. Both of those are great games in their own right, but I don't think anyone could play them without thinking that the combat is kind of unresponsive.

About an hour into the game, you get into areas with a lot of alternate paths. Really, I don't even want to call them paths. You're set loose in a city district, and you can jump, slide, and climb your way to most areas within the district. You generally hold a sword in one hand and a special weapon like a pistol, crossbow, tool, or spell in the other hand.

The graphics are decidedly meh. The art direction is good, and they make use of lighting effects such as ambient occlusion and sun shafts, but overall the polygon counts and texture resolutions are a little on the low side. Having said that, most of the time the game is really quite pretty, though I don't think it ever really looks realistic. It's easy to run smoothly as well, and that's not just because of the mediocre graphics. It's well optimized, like most Unreal 3 Engine games are, and my GTX 460 and Phenom II x4 run it well above 60 fps on ultra at 1080p.

So, in short, if you only play the first hour or two of this game, you'll probably be disgusted. The tutorial and beginner mission is really not interesting at all, and it makes the game seem like a generic, linear stealth shooter. If you play past the first hour or two, however, Dishonored becomes awesome, and completely lives up to the trailers and hype. There are relatively wide and unique open areas, the lore becomes interesting, and the stealth is world-class. I'm very glad I didn't ditch the game after the first hour, because it has a real shot at becoming my favorite game ever. I deduct one point because the intro is lackluster, and it probably turns off a lot of people since it's not an accurate representation of the game. Arkane should probably work on their first impressions. Everything of theirs that I've played since Arx Fatalis has had a very weak first hour.
  87. Oct 17, 2012
    A very strong title, Lots possibilities to complete your missions, But i have one major complaint, IT'S TOO SHORT! Seriously, I took my time doing a lot of exploring and doing side objectives through the missions and i squeezed 13 hours out of it, But considering the fact that the replay value is pretty high in this game because of the Low/High Chaos system i can't really complain that much. And i think that this game is kind of easy as well, I played on Very Hard the first time and i had to Quick load and Quick save pretty often because i wanted to experiment with some ways to approach an objective. But other than that the enemies are not that tough and usually you can blink your way out of combat if you so desire. Despite all that, This game rocks! Expand
  88. Nov 1, 2012
    Buy this game. In short, it's Thief + Bioshock in a steampunk City 17. The stealth and world navigation is sufficiently challenging and rewarding. The combat flows well, even in large melees, with the omnipresent option to go non-lethal. The highly explorable areas are excellently done, with only a few sharp edges left unpolished in the later levels. There aren't points at which you're forced to stop and take a look at the beautiful place you're sneaking/slashing through, but dang there should be! I only ever encountered one major visual glitch, which was my held weapon staying in view when I used the mask's zoom on one level. The story is original with some generic features that are masterfully implemented so as not to draw attention to themselves, thus keeping it all cohesive. On the downside there, I felt the Outsider was a weak plot device used as a writer's convenience, which is closely connected to my feelings about the ending which didn't meet the expectations set up by the rest of the game, dropping my rating by one measly point (well, half a point, all things considered). Beyond that, the only pet peeve I had with the game was the fact that doors must finish opening to be closed again. And if that's all I had to complain about while progressing through this magnificently constructed world described in Deus Ex fashion, this game is truly one of the greats. Again, buy it. Expand
  89. Oct 12, 2012
    I expected less of this game, but I was surprised in the beginning, this game is very similar to the "Commandos" where you can choose kill all the enemies without making a noise using the knife or kill all the weapon and make a tremendous noise, very good its engine, congratulations Bethesda
  90. Oct 17, 2012
    This game has so many moving parts, I am amazed it came together as well as it did. Arkane's pedigree didn't exactly leave me high in expectation. They delivered with some beautiful, understated art, characters and setting I remember after putting the mouse down hours later, and greatest off all, a set of abilities and options that are all handled with a fine degree of precision. In the span of 4 seconds, I can teleport to the top of a fire escape, leap down and silently snuff the life out of one poor soul, then subdue his partner, while maybe alerting three other soldiers. You can then decide to stop time, assassinating all three with your blade/pistol/crossbow, create a gust of wind to knock them all back, or simply cook a grenade to explode in their faces. The moment to moment action is an interlocking chain of checks and balances. My only possible gripe with the encounters is that later on (After 'the twist') the player is forced by sheer design of some of the foes into a more deliberate and brutal (and less creative) form of interactive expression. On the whole, a fantastic new IP, one I hope to see more of. Expand
  91. Oct 10, 2012
    The game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small home and piece of writing. Listening to the heart haunts the senses and further plunges the owner into the lore in this amazing game. An experience I've had for only a few hours has left me wanting more, and it was well worth the time and money. Story telling rarely presents itself in such an artful and complex manner. I would recommend this to friends and family. The only reason I'm not rating it a 10 is because I'd want my friends to tell me that even though I thought it was good, but they liked it even more :) Expand
  92. Oct 21, 2012
    DIshonored is a curious game. It promotes itself as an open world FP-action-stealth-RPG with a deep plot but at the end of the day after the 20 or so hours it took me to complete the game, I was impressed by it for other reasons. Firstly, the stealth element is mediocre at best, mimicking stealth mechanics of modern action titles such as Deus Ex and the Elder Scrolls. The climbing mechanic is definitely one of the best Ive seen in recently years with EVERY obstacle able to be climbed over/ascend onto in first-person. No more of the **** 'Oh this ledge is too high, my character cant reach it coz they jump liek they're toddlers' or 'Oh noes I cant get overt this barrier coz my character cant jump high enough'. Its called using your bloody hands and body. And finally, Dishonored showed us that. I am crying with happiness.
    Oh yes, they managed to make both the stealth and all-guns-blazing approach satisfying, which is a plus as most modern games of such manner would only reward players who chose the stealth path. The excellent plotline, the world, NPCs and superb voiceacting are also highlights. The ending to the game is nothing sort of heartwarming (though this depends on your choices in the game) and this does not mean its a happy ending (depends on you interpret it - I say its a happy ending despite what happens). The cons? Its not open world. Thats right. They lied to us. Essentially there are NINE missions, each with a large area to complete objectives. Its not an open world sense like Deus Ex. There are no hubs to visit, no cities to explore or locations to be discovered. You're essentially handed the area for each mission and through their open yet linear multiple pathways, you proceed, overcome and complete your objectives. Oh and did I mention its pretty short? I finished this game in a little bit over 20 hours and that's only because I actually did every single side-quest as well as found almost every collectable in every mission as well as listened/engages in every dialogue possible. If you rush, you can finish the game under 10 hours (a player on steam forums completed the game in 7 hours). Dishonored is an experience. You play it. You finish it. You probably will play it again just to see how things will pan out differently. And then you probably wont touch it again. But you'll still think it was worth it, the money well spent. An excellent, well-rounded title that deserves your attention.
  93. Vex
    Jul 27, 2013
    Easily one of the best stealth FPS games I've played in years. Unlike predictable on-rails shooters that seem to be everywhere these days, this game provides you with amazing freedom as to how to approach various situations and problems. Want to go in guns blazing and destroying your enemies by invoking swarms of rats that are going to eat them alive? No problem. Want to possess a fish in a river and enter the complex through the sewer system? The game supports that. There is an enormous amount of latitude the player is allowed when it comes to dealing with various scenarios.

The writing is really good and the storyline has some awesome twists and turns. The game employs the so called "chaos system" that keeps track of how much chaos you inflict on the world and dynamically adjusts the way the world responds to your actions. If you murder a lot of people, there are going to be more rats, plague, violent responses from guards and the world is just going to be a more miserable place. If you take a more merciful approach, it leads to a more stable world. What you do in the world also determines what game ending you will get.

The music and art are superb and really contribute to the feeling of being in a dystopic steampunk world overrun by plague and oppressive government.

If you liked Deus Ex Human Revolution, you don't want to miss out on this game.
  94. Oct 24, 2012
    I was so excited for this game when it was announced, I couldn't wait. And I was not disappointed with the game. At first I thought it was a little too short, but then realized I wasn't at the end yet. There are so many different ways into your target areas, multiple ways to accomplish a mission, and numerous ways to combine your powers into great combos. The scenery is beautiful, although a little washed out looking. But when they tell you you will not be seen while leaning, it's a lie. Because I did so many times. Of course it has its kinks and its bugs, but what game doesn't? Whether Bethesda decides to make a sequel to this or leave it as a stand-alone game, I will be happy either way. I can't wait for the DLC! Expand
  95. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a game that requires you to make your own fun almost. If you approach this game meaning just to finish it,don't buy it. You need to spend your time in each level, finding all the nooks and crannies, uncovering some of the lore reading those books that are scattered around the levels, it simply adds so much more to the experience. And that's what this game is, an experience. The stealth is a bit simple, the same can be said for the combat but together with the beautiful world that has been created, it is much more than the sum of its parts. I distinctly remember when in the second mission I was dealing with the High Overseer and I had knocked him out and the uncle of a girl that she had asked me to save. I was doing great when I went around the corner to find an overseer with this back turned. So I knock him out and then return to my plotting to get this uncle guy to a safe location and the High Overseer to the interrogation room. Then I ran in to another overseer, and another and another until I had basically knocked out every overseer on the floor that I was in. So I rushed away when I saw that I had missed a rune, already seeing the way that I could do it better next time. I can definitely see myself re-playing this game as a ruthless, kill everybody, kind of character, which is different from the, I will not kill my targets but if s**t goes down I will kill the guards type of character that I have been playing. I would also suggest at least playing on hard if you are going stealthy, as well as turning most of the user interface off. Finding bone charms and runes by remembering the direction the heart was beating and the how frequent it was, with a faint red glow indicating the object, is much more enjoyable than seeing a sign telling you what it was, where it was, even though you weren't putting your heart near the direction, and the amount of meters you need to travel to reach it, is way over simplified. So basically, in summary, if you are one to squeeze out every morsel of a game, then this is definitely a game for you, and will provide plenty of motivation to do so. If you simply were interested in this game because the some of the kill cams look cool then you will be disappointed and I recommend that you stay away from this game. So what if you are in the middle of the spectrum? Well, I was there too and I found that if play this game with an open mind, you will enjoy the game. I can also honestly say this is one of the only games that have actually motivated me to spend 2 hours on a level finding that last obscure rune or bone charm, the only rune that I missed was on the second mission and I am still kicking myself for letting it go. Expand
  96. Dec 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. the gameplay is a blast, there are many ways to go about each level, good progression and a compelling story. The ending is a little "meh", being a lame slideshow of half a dozen~ "what happened in the years to come" images. The game is also a tad easy unless you take the stealth/no kill approach, even on hard difficulty. Don't let that discourage you from the game, however. You will fully enjoy this game and almost everything it has to offer. Even hunting for bone charms for upgrades, or doing petty side quests, are entertaining and not so overly out-of-the-way that they take away from the experience. 9/10, would've gotten a 10 if the ending was on par with the rest of the game, but in all fairness, not many games being put out have very good endings, not even the great games like Dishonored. Expand
  97. Sep 9, 2013
    Unlike the overrated Bioshock Infinite, or really any game released in the past 7 or 8 years, Dishonored is a real video game. This is what people expected back in the '90s, this is like Deus Ex, System Shock, all the games that weren't shallow and didn't use fancy gimmicks to lure the masses in. Dishonored is a short game, you can run through it about an hour if you really wanted to. But why would you? There's a world here, a story here, a living breathing setting that's like an open book. You can breeze through it without a care in the world, or you can peel through the pages one by one carefully absorbing every detail. If you're like me, you fall somewhere in the middle, like an average gamer would. The problem with Dishonored is that it was released too late. Gamers today expect action, linear corridors and lots of hand holding that tell them where to go and what to do. They expect games to keep this hand holding up for hours on end, so they can get their money's worth and call it a day. Dishonored doesn't do that. It's not your babysitter. It throws you into a world and doesn't say a word. You can explore every detail, or you can slaughter everything you see. The playstyles here are endless. Sneak through unseen? Why not slaughter every living creature on a rampage? Choke everyone out? Why not stealthily slit their throats and hide the bodies? Something for everyone, I assure you. Dishonored is a magical game. Almost perfect in the context of "video game". It engages the player to assume the role of a virtual character and interact with a world, it's entertaining and wholesome, you just have to believe it, and then find it. The gamers of today are too used to linear corridors, they should broaden their horizons, explore a little and experiment. I clocked in 25 hours of this game, without the 2 major DLC. With those, you're looking at about another 8 hours each. Dishonored is a terrific, near-perfect game. If the story wasn't complete garbage, it would be the epitome of gaming. Expand
  98. Nov 3, 2012
    Varying situations, non-linear levels with more than two options, loads of ways to eliminate your targets - all of this basically makes Dishonored an exemplary stealth-action game. When I saw the trailers, I expected it to be some kind of a first-person Assassin's Creed, but I was wrong - the game itself is closer to the Hitman series - it's not open-world, but each level is a sandbox where you are free to do whatever you wish. The tools of the trade are pretty damn impressive - you'll have a lot of fun combining the teleportation, time stopping and possession. Dishonored's only flaws are its shortness and the main plot. First one is neglected by the game's replay value - you'll definitely want to use all the gadgets and adopt the aggressive playstyle after you beat the game in a semi-nonlethal way. The quite lame plot is a bigger problem - the twists (the only one, actually) is predictable, and the whole story is too cliche and serves merely as a connection between the missions themselves. Which is a shame, because Dishonored is set in a very well-detailed world with its own mythology. Arkane Studios 's Dishonored is probably the only original (not a sequel, not licenced, not a reboot) AAA title this year, it delivers a refreshing experience, doesn't put the player in any limits and is overall a great game. Don't miss this out. Expand
  99. Oct 15, 2012
    Поздравляю всех любителей stealth с выходом достойного проекта, что бывает довольно редко в нашем жанре. Любители гранат(тм) могут смело проходить мимо. Expand
  100. Oct 21, 2012
    Before I start, let me just say Dishonored may very well be my vote for Game of the Year. First of all, the game is quite simply beautiful, even though texture resolution may be a bit low in places. The art style is just that good. Furthermore, the levels are all beautifully fleshed out and almost flawlessly convey the game's rather horrifying mood. The levels are also wonderful from a gameplay perspective: there are multiple ways to accomplish all objectives, and almost all of them feel natural and balanced. The game world will also react in many ways to your actions; this can range from changes in each character's story arc to simple changes in notes and wanted posters. I'd like a little more of the former and less of the latter, but that's something a lot of games struggle with and Dishonored does it better than most. A couple of the levels also drag on a bit, and as a whole you can blow through the game in a handful of hours if you want to. But if you do, you're really doing yourself a disservice. And like most stealth games, the AI can seem blind, stupid, and melodramatic at times, even on the maximum difficulty. But all in all, I really wish there were more games that were trying to do what Dishonored tries. It's not quite perfect in many respects, but the developers deserve huge success for making such a beautiful and multi-faceted game, and getting the majority of it right. Expand

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]