8.3

1. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2013
    The best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equally attractive choices.

One of the best games I've ever played.
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a great adventure. From start to finish, the game packs an incredible amount of action and stealth that can perfectly be mixed up to a point where you swap from one to another nicely with no interference.

The game puts you in the place of a betrayed guardian who is entitled to work out his reputation back by helping the rebellion to rescue the empress daughter, and to take back the throne. Most (if not all) of the missions encompass a set of goals, which ultimately take you to the assassination of a key character. At the end, you're an assassin, and killing is a key gameplay part of this game.

Though this could be considered as repetitive at first, the game's design and plot makes it pretty interesting and worth to look out, specially considering all the ways you have at your disposal to achieve your goal, and Bethesda has proven that they are very skilled at providing a good dose of variety for this.

Although the story is somewhat empty at first, evolving along the main character is a rewarding experience, just as much as the silent kills. Using the special powers is a very entertaining feat, and the AI is well-developed, responsive and interactive at any given time.

In resume, I have found that Dishonored is a great experience for the fans of Splinter Cell, Thief, Deus Ex and the Matrix, and it packs enough action to get FPS fans into its arena, and enough creativity to entertain while never disappointing. If you have yet to play it, go and grab a copy. You won't regret it.
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem,
    journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  8. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    [DISHONORED SteamPC Score10] One of the best games I have ever played. Play as a Master Assassin and Bodyguard framed for the death of the Queen. Get thrown into the dungeon, escape, take revenge. Play with Stealth or Action, Level up and choose Skills for Magic and others. Released Oct 2012 and played 9 months later. Add to cart with all the DLC. Enjoy this game smoothie….

[DRM] Steam
    only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title, nor Uplay, nor Origin. I did not have to create an alternative account.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[NowPlaying] BrokenAge [MyFavorites] [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born 1964 I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2013
    An amazing game. Stealth, action and narrative are all top notch here, Having played through the base game I literally can't understand some of these low score reviews they make no sense to me. The combat is fluid and with the various magic powers at your disposal, fun and varied. The stealth works intuitively and is one of the better examples of the genre. The world is amazing and deeply intriguing, if the game has a flaw it is compared to how interesting the world is some of the characters seem shallow and that at some points near the end the games limited funding shows (but just barely)

I usually reserve a 10 for games I feel people are unfairly bashing en-mass. Not so this time, a true gem of a game definitely worth experiencing.
  14. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  15. Oct 19, 2012
    I am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay is perfect, its fun all the time, really varied where you can go your own way pretty much everywhere. there is this great atmosphere where i really feel im there. Theres i so much to discover that i would just dont care about in any other game, but here i can spend hours on going to small secret rooms and passages cause they all feel so alive and intresting. The controls are supersmooth and i almost get irritated cause there is nothing to be irritated on. loading times are super quick, the graphics are fabulous on many places. the sound is really perfect. Or, yeah there is one thing that could be better, there is almost no music, which actually suits the game good, but i would prefer a good soundtrack. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  19. Mar 2, 2013
    Probably best game i have been playing last time. This awesome piece of software is no way near Bioshock like some people say. It feels more like mix of Dark Messsiah and Thief with its own great atmosphere and creative level design. Cartoon-like graphics isn't brilliant but definitely stylish. Simple story isn't about revenge cold served only. Noticeable moral choices make gameplay even more interesting. Summary: there is no perfect game and Dishonored was made as good as could be made. Developers efforts are visible and should be appreciated. Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a big red sign "important thing here" will miss most of it, and end up finishing the game in a short time. This is an adult game, with serious themes and it will scratch that special Thief spot in your heart that you didn't feel for a while. It is riddled with thief references ... the sound of coins when you pick them up, the mumbling of the guards on watch duty. The city itself has that weighty, heavy feeling leaning on your shoulders. Art style is beautiful semi-realistic, with slightly over-exaggerated features like limbs and necks. It works perfectly. My advice is just let yourself go in this game, turn off the quest markers and learn about the human misery in the beautiful, fallen Dunwall. Let yourself be immersed and play cat and mouse with your goals and you will have one of the best gaming experiences in years. Expand
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    Based in a fictional setting of Dunwall, Dishonored tells us an interesting story of political corruption, betrayal, oppression and resistance, and of course lots and lots of death, whether it’s at the hands of the plague or the never-ending conflict that goes on. The immersive setting and nice story-telling are then assisted with gameplay that gives the player a chance to tackle every challenge in their own way.

What I greatly enjoyed about Dishonored is the diversity in which it allows you to approach its challenges. It’s a similar style of gameplay as the Deus Ex games. The player can go in with stealth, or they can go guns blazing, or maybe to try some diplomacy, or even to mix and match all of those. Even the primary targets can be handled in ways other than violence. That’s right – it is possible to complete the game without killing any major antagonist.

Depending on how the player handles each mission, they will acquire either high chaos or low chaos. Being merciful, using non-lethal ways of taking down regular enemies, and not triggering alarms all lead to low chaos, which in turn leads to a good ending. The opposite leads to high chaos and hence a bad ending. This greatly adds to the replayability of the game and makes it interesting to complete it at least twice.

Apart from standard weapons and equipment used in each mission, the player also learns supernatural powers throughout the gameplay. They can do so by acquiring special runes which are found in many areas of the game. Many of these powers are very interesting and provide excellent opportunities to try out new and creative ways of getting past a challenge at hand. Perhaps the most commonly used power is Blink, which allows the player to quickly teleport short distances from one cover to another, which is extremely useful for stealthy gameplay. There are several great powers to use, but the ones that stood out the most to me were Possession, which allows the protagonist to possess rats and other small animals and to get through small crawlspaces this way, Dark Vision, which allows the player to see nearby enemies through walls, and Bend Time, with which the player can temporarily slow, and with an upgrade completely stop, the time.

There are few minor things to criticise about Dishonored, like the lack of ways to take out the enemies non-lethally (sleep darts and upclose seem like the only ways), or how sometimes enemy AI and behaviour can be a bit unpredictable. The ending also felt a bit rushed, but once I got to the end of the game, I realised that it’s not so much the ending that’s important in games like these, but the journey itself. All those are just small drawbacks and were nothing compared to the unforgettable experience the game as a whole provided to me. A single playthrough may go for only 15-20 hours, but each minute of that playthrough keeps you fully immersed in the game’s rich and somewhat gloomy steampunk setting, not to mention its great replay value.
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't quite completed the game yet, but after 15 hours in (i'm quite close to the end, on normal difficulty with all ui elements disabled) I have more or less come to a conclusion about the game.

It's **** fantastic. Very well may be the best money I spent all year on games.

The stealth is engaging, the combat is visceral, the story is interesting, the visuals (i.e. environment
    design, art direction) are phenomenal -- probably the best I've seen since say, Bioshock. I wish I could give it a 10, but there's minor issues here and there that keep it from being perfect -- but it's definitely above a 9. 9.5 maybe.

Wow!
  23. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic game. Real gem.

+story, atmosphere, design (of everything from costumes to levels),gameplay, world changes and reacts to your actions (reminds me of first Deus Ex).

-sometimes too easy with all the powers player have
  24. Jan 5, 2013
    Great game, stealth actions like hiding under tables - ingenious. Graphic is beautiful, sound - very nice, moving - very smooth, zero any, tiny technical problems, and what's most important, game-play is enjoyable, story is fine and time to finish is very good - about 16-20 hours for me. And there is a tempting to play one more time, but another style, because game see your actions and show really different endings.
    Game is really worth any penny.
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is a real gem in a world full of recycled material and plots. It takes stealth play and ambush tactics to a new level. It's linear in objective but the options for getting to point B are vast and make for great replay. It's like each board is a giant puzzle. The play time is about 10 to 15 hours for the campaign. I've gone through it twice choosing a different way to do things each time and played a few of the missions several times just for kicks. I noticed each time I played that different options arose for upgrading too which made for a unique experience as well. It's like going through it once was like "being an assassin 101" after you realize your potential then the fun really begins. The A.I. is really good too. So watch out and don't be seen or heard they will find you in a heartbeat. Expand
  26. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  27. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  28. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Collapse
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    I'm a bit late in playing this title, but I felt compelled to write this review, as I have just completed Dishonored. Dishonored puts you in the role of Corvo, royal protector of the Empress of a fictional kingdom. The Empress is murdered early into the story and you are blamed for her death, and sent to be executed. You must escape from execution, and find the real killers of the Empress and ensure that her daughter becomes the new Empress. As the royal protector, you are versed in various forms of weaponry including swords, guns, bombs, and sabotage equipment. Additionally, you gain supernatural powers such as teleporting, x-ray vision, and various other very cool powers that help you traverse the world. Your enemies include plague victims that have gone mad, as well as royal soldiers, and a few creatures. There's tesla coils that you must either disable or sabotage so that they kill your enemies, and other like contraptions designed to keep order. Dishonored uses the Unreal Engine, so it is very beautiful to look at, and very stable. The art style is sort of a cartoony Victorian steampunk style, and works nicely with the game engine. Sound and music are nice, and the voice work is top notch. This game feels a lot like Dark Messiah Might and Magic, which incidentally was made by the same people, and although that game was not very well received due to bugs and technical problems it had right out of the gate. I feel like this game is the spiritual successor to Dark Messiah Might and Magic, but with all of the flaws worked out. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes stealth action or first person shooters. Expand
  30. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  31. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play
    throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  32. Jan 29, 2013
    Its like playing Thief in Half Life 2's city, but better! the game adapts to your playing style. also looks a whole lot better than those 2 games one of the best games of 2012, well worth getting
  33. Oct 9, 2012
    I've played several hours of this game, and so far there's nothing to dislike in the slightest. Intricate and interesting plot/setting/characters, excellent stealth, fighting, etc. mechanics for your choice of play style, gorgeous painting-like graphics that run really easy on a system but look great, etc. My prediction that this would be the best singleplayer of 2012 looks like it's coming true.
  34. Oct 10, 2012
    This is honestly one of the most creative and unique games I've ever played. And that's coming from 24 years of gaming. The developers struck a PERFECT balance between open-world gameplay and story-driven gameplay, and allows the player to make use of the environment like I've never seen in any game. The art style is unbelievable, the whole game feels like a big painting. It's quite possible that the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a video game is teleport to a rooftop 20 feet above me as I sprint away from seven frenzied guards who's reaction is "huh?" Expand
  35. May 9, 2013
    The best game I've played in almost 8 years. The art style is wonderful, the story is gripping, and the controls are very fluid. It's also an amazing PC game, the options menu is plentiful and the controls are spot on, i experienced about 2 or 3 bugs, none of which were game breaking and never had a problem with the controls. There is so much depth and lore poured into this game, it's hard not to get pulled in. I loved it. Expand
  36. Dec 21, 2012
    The best stealth game ever!
    I'll explain why: The world is so dark and refined, the story is strong, the graphics are just awesome the controls are solid it has an unique game play!
    Its possibly one of the best (or maybe the best ) games in 2012.
    If you haven't played it yet you should quickly! Because I'll follow you home, and KILL YOU!
    Nah just kidding but seriously...PLAY IT! NOW!
  37. Dec 27, 2012
    The best game I played all year. I got the game a little late, but I don't regret it since it gave me the time to enjoy the game instead of rushing through it. The lore is fantastic, and the amount of side hints make the game a joy to explore fully. The options the game presents are fantastic. Stealth is not limited to one route or to one way of completing the objective. Some of the later levels are very engaging and interesting. One of them in particular was really fun. Playing full stealth I completed the level by bypassing 3 quarters of the entire map, and it was awesome. The story is a bit thin, and there are occasional hiccups but neither detract from an amazing game. Can't wait for the sequel. Expand
  38. Jul 23, 2013
    An absolute 10; best game I've ever played.
    My game style: I love playing spy in TF2, I like Portal, and I like some elements of Hitman. This game has all those elements and then some. Thank you to the team who built this piece of art, a lot of thought was put into everything, the powers, the maps, etc.. .it is VERY well thought out and the user experience is greatly benefited from
    this.
    It was easily the most immersive gaming experience I've had, this was the first time I played a game and felt like I really was there, especially the mansions. The art direction was done so well, I took my time in some maps just to admire the buildings, they were so fun to explore (I only wish more variety in the paintings, why would there be copies of the same painting in one mansion?). And I love that there's secrets to find, the maps can often be done however you want, stealth or guns blazing you are not forced to play a certain way, while not open world, it's certainly not rigid linear.
    The game took me about 9 hours to beat. I have started the DLCs and they are already worth getting. I hope they produce more and hope there is some sort of sequel. I would actually recommend playing the City Trials DLC FIRST so you understand how the powers work and know which ones you want to upgrade, if I had known I would have played it a little differently.
    My only regret is that I waited for this to come on sale, it's worth the full price, don't wait!!
  39. Oct 30, 2012
    Dishonored has its drawback, but they still do not mean anything because disappear in the vast sea of advantages.Almost every level gives you several ways to solve the problem + unconventional use of Corvo's power = Dishonored is a very individual and great game.
  40. Oct 12, 2012
    I have nothing but praise for this game, but first, I have something to say addressing other reviewers' complaints:
    If the game was too short, you were doing something terribly, terribly wrong. My thorough (lethal) playthrough took me about 16 hours, doing all the sidequests, tracking down as much of the gold and as many of the runes and whale-bone charms as I could. I can only imagine
    it'd be much longer if you went non-lethal.
    Now, to the actual review.
    Graphics: Using a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, Dishonored portrays the steampunk city of Dunwall with a style and flair that hooked me instantly. The models and textures are as high-resolution as a PC gamer could ask for, and the unique shaders and strong, hard shadows conveyed a strong, graphic novel-esque sense of visual atmosphere. The world's grim visual glory was even further enhanced by the spectacular art direction, taking queues from Half-Life 2 and blending that aesthetic with elements lifted from steampunk subculture to create a unique, rich, and enthralling visual experience. 9/10.
    Gameplay: It's difficult to address the gameplay and story separately, as the two are inexorably intertwined, but I'll do my best. Missions fling you into vast, open environments littered with hidden nooks and crannies, open windows, and rooftops just begging to be explored and immersed in. As you explore, you come across runes, coins, and whale bone charms. Runes are used to unlock elements of a supernatural toolkit, handing you various new strategies with which to engage in combat or exploration, but never overwhelming you with too much at once. Coins are used to purchase upgrades to your more physical gadgets, such as new lenses for your clockwork mask, or an automatic reloading system for your hand crossbow. And lastly, whale bone charms are equipped to give you small perks of a sort, such as gaining token amounts of health from drinking water, or swinging your sword slightly more quickly. Charms are randomized as well, so you'll rarely find one in the same place between playthroughs. Taking the elements the game gives you and combining them is where the real gold is, and every solution you come up with is something you created, not you being funneled through a narrow pathway or being told to do things a very specific way, as is common with modern games. This isn't a game where you're disappointed by hitting yet another invisible wall - this is a game where you're thrilled by discovering that yes, that did, in fact, work. 10/10.
    Story: And this is where the game truly gets into its stride, and this surprised me. Before I played the game, I was expecting a thrilling experience, not really a complex story, or good characterization. Dishonored had the courtesy to hand me everything. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the story is intense and emotional, despite the fact that it can only really be advanced between missions. But it's not the pre-set story that's the best element here, no... it's how the player's actions impact the curve of events. The game gives you tools of death; it gives you a pistol and crossbow, it gives you mines that fling razor-sharp shrapnel in a metallic tornado, it gives you a power that summons a swarm of ravenous plague rats, but it also gives you a warning: if you take too many lives, the story, characters, world, and even you will change for the worse. Many disregard the warning, much like I did... and were left distraught when, at the very end, the game solemnly held up a mirror. There are games with intense stories and endings that make you tear up, but there is NOTHING as harsh as this. Games like Mass Effect or Spec Ops: The Line, as much as you can impact events in the former, are sending you along a predetermined path. The ending isn't a product of your actions - it's simply affected by them. When Dishonored came to a conclusion, I knew that all the horrible things that had happened were MY fault, not because I'd been forced to take lives, but because I'd CHOSEN to. 10/10.
    Conclusion: Dishonored was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. This game is a work of art, and you owe it to yourself to play it any way you can. It doesn't matter what the magazines say, this is my game of the year without a moment's thought.
  41. Sep 24, 2013
    I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It's the perfect blend of Deus Ex and Bioshock, within a detailed, immersive world with its own interesting backstory told throughout the game. Playing as an agressive gunsligner is fun. Playing as a sealthy backstabber/choker is fun. The designers took great care to make both playstyles viable and a blast to play.
  42. Apr 10, 2013
    Dishonored is proof that there is hope that the video game industry can pull off something new and exciting. While not exactly groundbreaking, Dishonored is one helluva fun game. The setting is awesome, the characters are great and the abilities and weaponry are also really cool, especially Corvo's balisong-like sword. The main complaint with the game is that while the stealth approach does make the storyline less depressing, its quite boring. You go around choking people to unconsciousness and then hiding their bodies, it gets really old fast. It IS however, worth it storywise. As for the all out violent approach, while more fun it is not advisable. Corvo while an expert fighter and assassin is quite fragile and you should not try taking on more than three guards if you can. One would distract you into a swordfight while the others would take potshots out of you with their pistols which pack quite a punch. I also have problems with the powers as some are obviously more useful than others like the Blink ability. In fact, its probably the only one you'll ever need. Nonetheless, Dishonored is unique and while I wished the story was a little bit better, its easily my favourite game of 2012, fully deserving of the awards and recognition it gained. Expand
  43. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  44. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  45. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is so much fun The story is pretty good itself, the world is original, but at this point it wouldn't be worth 10/10. What makes Dishonored strenght is liberty not like in a GTA (open world, etc), but you can find your own way to reach your goal, there is always several paths to reach it, and depending on your powers and you personal goals (ghost each path can be played several ways.
    In the end of the 15 hours of play, I've never felt so urged to start a new game to try other powers (you won't have all of them !)
    The only bad point would be that there are only a small set of powers available, if you add that to the fact you won't have all of them, you end up with a very limited set of skills. Hopefully there very well used, and you'll want to start another game to try the other ones.
  46. Oct 15, 2012
    After the flop of ME3, for me this is the game of the year. Usually I trust more the users reviews than the paid ones, but here, I thing 8.5 is not correct. This is one of the best games of all time. I love it as I loved Deus ex 1.
    When I first saw its trailer I knew that if it comes out like that and if it isn't vaporware, it's my game. And it did come out like that. And better. So what
    I like about it: 1. the design. The looks are amazing, it has a french touch. Look at the painted textures, the hands of the models, their anatomy, the drawings on the walls, the backgrounds. I'm in the field of graphic design and this game is visually stunning, it has character and THAT'S RARE, I can tell you. 2. the gameplay - draws me in. I'm free to do what I want. Deus ex HR should have been like this (there I always felt walking in a tube). I usually don't like sneak only games, but here I enjoy that part, too. 3 NO BOSSES - at last. We're not 4 year olds to swallow the same game system on and on again - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level... I don't feel the console here, this isn't a console port for god sake. 4. Atmosphere - If you run through the game you miss the game - wait, eavesdrop, sneak, read, listen, collect, look around and a new world opens up, this game has a distinct atmosphere like the biggest games of all times - HL2, Skyrim, ME 1-2, Fallout 3 and so on. 5. The engine - Crysis was one of the best looking games of all times, but even now, 5 years after it's release, you need a bumped up machine to max it out - as programming it was a joke. I can make a game look like Avatar only it would take 2 month for a single frame... Not here. My fps never dropped below 25, and I mean never... Usually between 35-50 - and I play it on my laptop (!).
    Arkane Studios is now one of my favourite developers - french touch FTW :). I liked Arx Fatalis, but never finished, same with Dark Messiah. But this is their masterpiece. If they don't get too greedy (a thing that plagues the gaming industry nowadays - ME3, Diablo3, etc), I'll be waiting for any new games they release.
    I wanted to give this game a 9 (it has minor, minor annoyances), but that wouldn't be correct, this is a 10 game, if you don't know why you miss something. I would give it 11 if I could (+1 for no bosses :) )
  47. Oct 10, 2012
    wow!!! is this game good, all the areas are unique and around every corner u spend alot of time exploring areas are geniunly interesting and i havent played a game like that since half life 2 this is definatly a special game buy it without hesitation !
  48. Aug 28, 2013
    This has to be one of the best Waste of time I have ever spent my Computer. I have enjoyed this one to the Max.

I know some will say Graphics could be improved, but I say to them game play is more important that Graphics, and there is nothing wrong with the Graphics of this game in any way that detours from the story or immersion.

[ I will say the Girls in the game are some very ugly
    choices in graphics design, but this is more of an artistic choice of the makers I believe than there actual talents at making pretty girls.]

1. If you like stealth games this is near if not at the top of the list.

2. If you like aggressive play, melee, ranged, explosive. again this is near or at the top of the list.

3. if you like plot twists, and optional choices in how to do a level, then this is at the top of the list.

4. if you like having some alternate ending's according to your choices, this one has that. Which makes replaying it a must
    not only for the choice's in endings, but also for the many, many optional ways to beat a level.

5.The DLC's are actually worth the money, and as good as the original, with many twists.

6. Hands down one of the best games I have played in years. I wish I could give it a higher score
  49. Nov 27, 2012
    First off, I suggest you don't read the hypercritical negative comments, as they will just poison your enjoyment of a game that has a lot to offer. Don't pay attention to comparisons with other games either, as they are mostly subjective and not objective. Don't read the professional reviewers, as they either love something effusively, give it lukewarm praise or hate it.

I never make a
    decision on purchase made from ay of the above categories.

If you want to analyse a game, such as Dishonored, before you buy it, check out actual game play videos which abound on You Tube. The data you collect yourself from watching game play is all you need to make your own informed judgement.

I enjoyed Dishonored immensely. I love the graphics and the game play. I was not disappointed. And to the hypercritical negative commentators I say this: if you can do better then let us ee you do it.
  50. Oct 30, 2012
    Imagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. The steampunk-esque world Corvo inhabits is brilliantly put together and constantly demands your attention. Books fill you in on quite substantial amounts of genuinely interesting background story, while conversations pertaining to the world around you are quite often overheard.

Moving on, Dishonored's art style is incredible. The art director for the game won a BAFTA for outstanding art direction, and it shows. It looks as if Bioshock Infinite met Deus Ex and decided to have a baby, and then that baby then copulated with Half Life's City 17. It's superb.

I liked the graphics. A lot of people are saying that the graphics look "outdated" - first of all, that is untrue. The graphics are reasonably good for a 2012 title - the game uses the Unreal engine - but the fact that the graphics aren't outstandingly good is countered by the extraordinary artistic design. The game looks like an oil painting. (Practically every texture is hand painted) The lighting is sublime, and the fact that every location, from the grimy corpse ridden streets to the massive steel fortresses to the insides of the regal Victorian era houses, looks so beautifully hand crafted is enough to make this game one of the best looking games of the year. But what really shines above all is the level design. If you've heard that finding alternate pathways in this game is a bit like DX:HR then you'd be completely incorrect. The game doesn't just provide you with a series of vents; it provides you with practically endless alternatives. Every one of the 9 levels is basically a sandbox, so exploring them is fun and rewarding.

The problem with games nowadays is that developers want gamers to see everything they've made, providing you with few, if any, alternate pathways to completing a mission. With Dishonored, it's as if the developers didn't really care about you seeing anything they'd made - every time I went through a mission I'd find a completely different path, even if I was certain I'd found every nook and cranny there was to be found in my first play through.

The gameplay is phenomenal. Corvo moves in a remarkably smooth manner, and every action, from stabbing someone through the throat to jumping down from a rooftop, sliding underneath a table and climbing a building feel almost real. The combat is superlative. Crossing swords (haha), slashing someone's leg off, and countering a guard with a quick stab to the face feels not only incredibly rewarding, but very realistic as well. I think the diversity in the gameplay - you can go through the entire game without killing anyone - a true and much needed breath of fresh air.

To conclude, not only do I think this work of unbelievable genius is the best game of the year, I think it's one of the best games of the decade. Aside from everything I've written above, the one thing that Dishonored has that makes it a step up from any other competition is the fact that it is an absolute joy to play. If you're looking for a game that is incredible amounts of fun, as well as interesting and prodigiously well made, look no further than Dishonored.
  51. Nov 10, 2012
    If the AI aren't talking of plot lines, the text tends to become the same "shall we meet for whiskey?" "yes, I believe so" and "do you think the city is getting any worse" almost as much as arrow to the knee. But all is forgiven for such an enticing story. If you play high chaos, you miss the best of the game. sneak like a mother **** Trust me, you'll be thankful you were good at the ending...
  52. Oct 10, 2012
    Instead of writing a wall of text, explaining why this game is great, I will just name cons that i have found during my play through.
    - Story is a bit too predictable, but nevertheless, ending left me more than satisfied (wich is rare nowdays).
    - Although it is actually a great stealth game, stealth here resides around "blink", rather then the play with light and shadow. In such a dark
    place as Dunwall, I would make a lot of sense to make dark places actually safer. Increasing mana cost of blinking above regeneration value and making light actually matter would have done game much more challenging and thus interesting for me. - Speaking of challenging. I've completed game on "Very Hard", and i would not say it is actually that hard. Sure thing I've avoided any direct contact with enemy forces and completed all missions in ghost mode because playing otherwise would be a suicide. But overall, blink is too powerful both for eliminating enemies and vertical/horizontal movement so with a keen eye and mind you will feel kidna godlike even on highest difficulty level. - "Darksight" ability, if im not mistaken that's how it is called , is done very wrong in my opinion. It has really high usefulness factor, so it will be turned on really often. Question is why would you do it with such an annoying sound and visual effect? - Guards are acting good enough, when facing suspicious sounds/visuals, but their view distance is very limited. Horizontal angle is ok, vertical angle is ok in 90% of situations, but view distance is just laughable. That should have been like 2x or even 3x as it is right now. Still would not be much of a problem with blink, timestop and other goodies.
    - High variety of devices, although only for casual walk through. If you gonna play it on normal or easy, rushing on enemies and dealing with them in most exotic ways then you will use your arsenal to full potential. But if you are planning on going silent, or even bloodless way if you choose so, you will be forced into using same tricks all over and over again. Grenades, traps, pistols, incendiary ammo, fatalities, etc. + all sorts of upgrades to them will be useless to you, coz they will be either lethal, or just too loud to make use of. Wider variety of silent and nonlethal weaponry would make this game a lot more interesting for stealh lovers.

Summing things up, this game deserves solid 9, assuming the fact I'd never give game a 10 just because no game is perfect, but i will just to compensate for some dumbasses giving this game 3/10. Most of my complains are regarding difficulty, but that's mostly personal. Some people might find it hard enough im sure. This game could use some tuning in abilities and gear department to make things a bit more balanced to diversify gameplay, but even without it, it is just one hell of a journey. Your only excuse for missing this game is only if you cant stand sneaking up on people.
  53. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or you can be a ruthless assassin that leaves none alive. Also, this game has a lot of replay value, you can complete the game numerous times and not get tired of it. Expand
  54. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  55. Dec 27, 2012
    I had high expectations for this game but it is far better than I believed a game could be. The number of ways to approach any situation is limitless. You can kill everyone or not touch anyone at all throughout the entire game. The city of Dunwall is masterfully sculpted with the incredible art direction. The character design is very creative. Dishonored is truly a breath of fresh air from the tonne of dumb shooters out today and truly demonstrates what a game can be and is the benchmark of what every developer should aim for. 10/10 Expand
  56. Oct 16, 2012
    Dishonored is a very good game despite what some overly-expectant clods are proclaiming (thankfully there are not that many of them!). The game has interesting gameplay with quite an intriguing, if rather short, story. The game is not so challenging if you play on the easier difficulty levels (duh) and if you decide to fight every enemy you see (which also results in a darker ending). The game is designed to be a stealth game, not a shoot em up. So, if the player is searching for a challenge (and a better ending), stealth and staying thy blade&bow will present such a challenge. Overall Dishonored is definitely one of the better games of recent times and is definitely worth checking out.

Jester's Rating: 9.5/10 (Limited by metacritic's rating system)
  57. Feb 11, 2014
    This game is probably one of the most enjoyable I've played in a while. The world they made for this game is extremely interesting, and the atmosphere easily makes half the game. The missions are extremely detailed with multiple routes to take to the objective, although I'll have to point out that in a way the game black mails you into nonlethal solutions by giving you a "worse" ending the more people you kill. While the high chaos ending where you killed a lot of people isn't happy, it's in my opinion the best one since I feel it fits with the overall theme of the game. The game is very polished, I only encountered a bug after 30 hours of playing. It's also very replayable, I was amazed at how much I over looked in the game when I played it the second time. The stealth and combat are very good and you have a great variety of abilities which let you do a lot of creative ways to get through things, and it's true variety, not just 30 weapons that all do the same thing. The only ability that's bad is dark vision, not because it's not useful, but because it's too useful and it feels like cheating to be able see basically everything of interest through walls at such a low mana usage. Otherwise the gameplay is great, but not hard enough. The guards can easily kill you if you insist on only using sword, but if you mix things up it's not very difficult, with some exceptions. I gave this game a 10/10 not because it was perfect but because there was nothing more you could really expect out of it that would significantly improve it. Hopefully in the next game they make it a little harder, because right now it's way to easy to get out of combat once you're in it most times, and they should remove dark vision and replace it with something else like telekinesis to pull things to you or something. Expand
  58. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  59. Oct 10, 2012
    This is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not a lore guy at all. But this game, the atmosphere, the vibes you get from the environment just pull you into the story and you actually enjoy it, and want to see what is going to happen next. You also have the power to change up the story a bit depending upon what choices you make. Expand
  60. Oct 10, 2012
    I can just say AWESOME!! Gameplay is best; There is lot of powers, items, locations, NPCs and more. The Graphics are good, water effect in PC is so pretty; Actually, Grpahics in PC is best but in conoles not. So good for me cuz i'm playing in PC :D. Musics and asounds are good. So if u looking for GoTY, this is GoTY. Sorry for bad English ;)
  61. Nov 14, 2012
    I've been feeling burned out from the games out on the market. A lot of sequals and rehashes that don't really interest me. This was a breath of fresh air. No multiplayer gimicks, no 1st day dlc, no 3 hour campaign like most games - just a solid long interesting story that had me HOOKED. Bethesda, thank you for making great interesting fun games to play. It's not only about multiplayer and you guys always prove that. A lot of gamers just want a rich story where they can immerse themselves in. Bravo BETHESDA!!! Expand
  62. Oct 17, 2012
    Thief reinvented. I cannot stress how much fun this game is. I have been looking for a good sequel to Thief but was never given one. After playing this one at least I have a spiritual one. I just wish they had a new game +. Anyways, go support it people, you wont regret it!
  63. Aug 19, 2013
    wow i really loved the entire game, and i'm just done with the 3 DLC i hope for a fourth one haha. The game is awesome and always you'll want to walk for differents roads to get at the point.
  64. Oct 9, 2012
    I've come to expect nothing less from Arkane. Dishonored is everything you could have hoped for in a new IP and more. The beauty and functionality of this game far exceed any idea of standards I may have had. Simply a joy to play....art in motion. Bravo.
  65. Oct 9, 2012
    It did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios on to the map of real gaming. I hope to see more stuff like this from them. This isn't a game that you will follow through doing whatever the next objective is, it is a game for you. Expand
  66. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is a truly profound title that separates itself from the market while also embracing what fans love most about the FPS-RPG genre. It has a provoking story, engaging gameplay, and not to mention it's pretty to look at. This is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  67. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is definitely game of the year. not only is this game a great time, its also a prime example to the gaming industries that a game with great story will much more draw an audience rather than grapics, or saving merica. This game is going down in my back as the best game of the year. Thank you!
  68. Oct 17, 2012
    Everything about this game was well designed. I loved the story and the quality of voice acting and characterization in this game was incredible. The characters had very good detailed models and the art style, although it can easily make you perceive the game to be bad graphics, was actually very good quality.

I didn't find the story short, however it was also not too long such that it
    felt as though it dragged on. I honestly think it was pretty much the perfect length. My only complaint is that one part of the game seemed unnecessarily boring and slow, a part in the sewers.
    Asides from that the story was well paced and enjoyably long, lasting a full week of quite high playtime. In my opinion, well worth the money

The mechanics were fluid and you could easily just spam off abilities and murder everyone crazily and the game will still be fun. I personally went for the stealth approach and still found the game incredibly enjoyable.

In terms of good design, the fact that steam achievements that pertained to the story were hidden to prevent spoiling the story blew my mind because it was the first time I had come across a developer taking such a simple step to keep the player experience from being spoiled.

Another example of good design I experienced was (to prevent spoilers I'll stay vague) when there was an escort type mission (there only was one) to protect a group of people, my initial reaction was eye-roll as my experiences with these types of missions tend to be me running around frantically diving in front of bullets secret service style in order to protect the mindlessly running NPC's.
    However what I actually found was that the NPC's would wait patiently and intuitively hide in their initial building beside an alley way until I stepped out into full view in the alley way, thereafter taking that as their cue to run across.

The levels were filled with lots of incredibly nice looking environments and lots of cool little side missions that you could stumble across if you were paying attention (saving a civilian from a bad situation involving guards that you can just stumble across, for example).

The characters were VERY thoroughly developed, with each character having a heap of voice lines to pull from at each stage of the game. On top of that there were audio logs and diaries that they kept. All three of these aspects would change as you progressed with the story.

I have to say, this game was the single most enjoyable game I've played in a long time.

Looking at other reviews I can see that people are making stupid comparisons with other games. People need to realise that not every game ever being made is trying to copy the same set of old games (either Half Life 2, Deus Ex or Bioshock), and stop being pretentious **** They made sequels to all those games and people are still not happy.

Also "Deus Ex" is NOT a GENRE of game.

Honestly, 10/10 would buy again.
  69. Oct 11, 2012
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    This is not a game where you get 3 choices for a mission. The choices being stealth, negociation, and force.
    Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The
    areas are completly open (even though there are loadings between each, which are VERY short, around 1 second for me between each area), and you can sneak everywhere looking for the best ways, instead of being pointed to one direction by the level design.

The game really let's you play. Once you are dropped in a map, it's up to you to do anything you want. And it is SO satisfying.

The setting is absolutly incredible. The world is believable, and so well crafted. The graphics won't win a polygon count, but they are just beautiful. Ignore the people saying the texture are low res. It is not true. They just "seem" that way because of the "water painting" style the artists chose. Proof can be seen all over the map, writtings on walls and billboards can be read very clearly, if the textures was low res, it would not be possible.

The voice acting is excellent, and NPCs will interact between each other when close.
    For exemple, I was about to kill one guard by jumping on top of him, when he started to chat with a maid, I got curious and waited to see what it was about, at the end of the little chat the guard said with a sigh "Is this what it's going to be like when we are married?". This were 2 randoms NPCs in a house, not important quest related NPCs, and suddently, they became "more real". And I couldn't kill him.
    Another favorite of mine, is when guard patrols and they whistle lullabies our mother would sing us when we were babies. It adds to the setting, and the feeling of despair. Everyone is afraid, everyone is at risk, and so when they whistle to relieve their mind, they go back to a happier time, when their mothers used to sing for them...
    Just beautiful.
  70. Oct 11, 2012
    BUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this setting of vengeance, you will, sneak, assassinate, knock out, shoot and teleport your way trough many and deeply satisfying assassination missions. Freedom is the main aspect of arkane's game. Tough it is not an open world game like Skyrim, exploration is both rewarding and really fun to do, thanks to the many upgrade items, lore objects scattered throughout the city of dunwall. Exploring that environment is fluid and fast, thanks to a smooth navigation system that works really well. It is rare to have that much mobility in a first person view. When you are not going from rooftop to rooftop, searching of a treasure, you are killing... or not. the number of possibilities to achieve your objectives is almost endless. Just in the first mission after the prison escape, i could think of at least 20 different ways to end my target, one of which was non-lethal. Thats the beauty of the game, you can play the missions many different times, as not only there are many ways to do a mission, but also because loot and guard patrols are random. Some peopples are hesitating in getting the game, unsure if the fun will last. Well, i would say that the time required to play trough the game varries from one person to an other. If, you are an idiot, that doesn't get the main idea of the game, that plays on easy and never explore or do side quests (yes there are side quests and they are surprisingly amazing) you might end the game in six hours. But, if you take your time with it, explore, play at a high difficulty, and try different ways to achieve your goals, well, lets just say i am in the second mission and i have already played 10 hours. In conclusion, this game will blow any hardcore gamer away. If you are tired of the same old IPs, well there is the game you seek. Minors complaints: i think there could have been more conversations with the Npc's and the graphics, tough beautiful are somewhat underwhelming. My score would be 9.7, I hope this review convinced you at least a bit and if it didn't, just check the meta score. Expand
  71. Oct 12, 2012
    I really love this game, probably the best game I've ever played. Everything was great: the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics (little cartoony and I like that) and the AI. What I like most about this game is the many different ways you're able to finish it, like 5 different ways to get into a building or killing everyone or leaving everyone harmless. I definitely rate this game 10/10 even more if I was able to. The only negative thing I have to say is that I've finished it in about 4-6 hours on normal difficulty, it's great that there's a mission replay option, though. It's a mix between: Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Beyond Good and Evil and Mirror's Edge. Expand
  72. Oct 12, 2012
    I am having a really good time with this game. It reminds me of System Shock and Deus Ex but definnitely has its own personality and style. You have so much control over how you proceed with your objectives its crazy. This is a game that demands exploration and experimentation. I definitely recommend it.
  73. Oct 12, 2012
    If your going to play this game understand it does not tell you the best way to complete its tasks. I have pleasantly been surprised how much I can complete by not doing what the mission tells me to do and then finding another solution. Currently I Am trying to beat the game without a single death of myself nor of a Enemy. SO HARD TO DO but I love the challenge The game is worth a few playthrough's and Try to beat it deathless on max difficulty will def keep my time occupied. If you play on casual and just chop through the main storyline then never pick up the game again then You have missed what this game is all about. Expand
  74. Oct 13, 2012
    I just finished the game and I can say it's simply fantastic. Ignore all of the people saying it's "just hype" or "nothing new" because I honestly have no idea what these people are talking about. Dishonored offers it's own feel with a taste of cartoony graphics in a gritty steam punk world, with excellent and complex gameplay to compliment it. The story is good and though the missions are linear, the missions themselves are a sort of open area where there are many side missions. If you rush through the game like a lunatic you'll probably finish the game quick like a good number of foolish reviewers...but if you actually take your time and play the game it'll last a fair amount of time, maybe just a tad short. Make sure to note that the "choose your own way to do the mission" holds true throughout the entire game, Dishonored does this extremely well.

It's not about making some original amazing breakthrough game that'll make you go insane with astonishment like many seem to think, it's about making a fun game. All in all, no what you say about how original or good it is, it's definitely a very fun game that's worth your time.
  75. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is totally awesome , ı have never played a game like that , ı mean ı dunno what to say , game is perfect , story ,atmosphere , game-play , graphics (could be better), when ı'm playing the game ı feel like ı'm kinda inside of it , it's not something which you can tell , you have to live , 10/10 -sorry for my bad ing-
  76. Oct 13, 2012
    While this game was hyped up a lot, I still think it's underrated at only a 91%. I went into this game quite skeptical that it could live up to its advertising, but it has done that and more. HOWEVER. This game is a reflection of your creativity as a gamer, as it uses manifold ways to reach your objectives. If you are an unimaginitive person then the story you live out will be an unimaginitive one. So if you want mindless action look elsewhere. This is a game for people who enjoy thinking.

Dishonored is a fantastic piece of art that values creativity and choice and plunges you into an amazingly immersive environment. I am a very involved gamer and have played and beaten countless games, both on PC and on standalone consoles, and I can say without a doubt that this is honestly the best game I have ever played. The immersive atmosphere of Half-Life and Bioshock mixed with the stealth of Thief and Deus Ex are an amazing combination. The graphics, while simple, are beautifully done in painting-like tones, and the lighting engine is phenomenal. The soundtrack is both breathtaking and adrenaline-inducing. The storyline is quite solid and very dark, the world expansive and deep, and the game can clock you 23+ hours on higher difficulty if you explore a little. The controls are extremely responsive, and the fighting mechanics, contrary to some peoples' beliefs, are solid and difficult to master, although intuitive enough to learn. The voice acting is marvellous. Almost constantly you'll overhear guards or civilians having conversations, but it's almost always a unique, scripted dialogue made specially just for those two NPCs, that can last for upwards of two minutes in many cases, which adds incredible depth to the already intriguing environments. AND THE CHOICE - You can do anything, from combat, to stealth. Be lethal or non-lethal. Exploration is key. Multiple passageways always exist to reach your goal, and your actions will always result in different outcomes. Simply fantastic. 10/10.
  77. Oct 13, 2012
    Anyone who listens to the negative reviews for this game deserves what they get.....nothing.This is by far the BEST first person,stealth and story game I have ever played....period!I am a SENIOR gamer and have seen many games since 1982.(Atari)I personally own over 400 PC games,over 200 of which are on Steam.The game mechanics,graphics,and smothness of the game are second to none.Those complaining of choppy graphics have puter problems.My Q9650 is over 4 years old and the game runs OUTSTANDING with NO slowups anywhere.If you take the time to visit everywhere and do all the side quests you will get upwards of 30-40 hours of game play.Those who breeze through it in 12 hours are missing the point.I have not done ALL the quests and I am at about 20 hours and am at the start of the last chapter.Thsi THE benchmark for FPS,Stealth games in the future in my book.Do not miss this one kiddies. Expand
  78. Oct 14, 2012
    Amazing! For me this is the best game in the last few years! I did not expect that it would delay me so much. But now I'm playing and I can not tear myself away from it.
  79. Oct 14, 2012
    Only few games live up to the hype that has been built around them and Dishonored is one them. Both stealth and combat mechanics are absolute blast to play with and level design makes great use of them. Its lot of fun to jump around the roofs or crawl through sewers as a rat whenever you fell like it, but biggest surprise for me was how incredibly the game looks. Art direction is amazing. Characters have memorable faces and stylish clothes. Weapons, buildings, vehicles, everything is extremely well designed and together with rich color pallet create Illusion of city which is dark and corrupt, but is joy to explore. Expand
  80. Oct 15, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun. Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic. Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on. Expand
  81. Oct 15, 2012
    Just started this game yesterday and I LOVE IT! I've always been a big fan of stealth games like Thief, but was missing the action factor. Bethesda really took the best stealth elements from Thief and augmented them with powers and awesome weapons. I highly recommend this to any fans of stealth and action alike.
  82. Jul 25, 2013
    Really, really good game. Be creative with your approach to the objective. Be stealthy and non-lethal or highly lethal playthrough, but with various tactics and weapons, traps, etc.
  83. Mar 14, 2013
    this game is solid,interesting and fun.bethesda has done a great job(again).the gameplay is good and fun.the graphics are good.the sthealth is very good.this game is the best game of 2012.
  84. Feb 6, 2013
    There aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with the Ghost (not detected) achievement and not kills for the entire game more than makes up for it. Expand
  85. Oct 26, 2012
    When I first heard about Zeni Max consuming the Arcane Studio,I really wasnt sure that they can provide something interesting to gamers because ZM is famous for its RPG's not for assasin's creed style games.But eventually,after playing Dishonored,I realised that this game is far more involving and interesting than even hitman ot assasin's creed.A good mix of action and rpg,unique and interesting atmosphere,different possibilities of ending the game-is not the complete list of all advantages of the game.So I really enjoed playing this game for 20-30 hours and I reccommend it to anyone that is interested in stealth-action games. Expand
  86. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wise and fascinating story, I loved it. Only thing that bothers me is that I have to use Dark Vision all the time.
    Still, it have found a place in my heart
  87. Oct 29, 2012
    Probably one of the best stealth games, if not best overall RPG game I have played. It wasn't very long, but I think more devs need to make games shorter to enable more time to be allocated to increasing the quality overall. So much attention was focused on the detail, and if you're the kind of person who pays attention to the little things, you will appreciate this work of art.
  88. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored is a Masterpiece. Yes, I capitalized Masterpiece for a reason. The controls are intuitive and abilities are a blast. The story is engaging and your decisions have heart twinging consequences. The environments are moody and creative. Very rarely do we see such high production quality in video games. Dishonored is a perfect example of video games as art.
  89. Nov 9, 2012
    After reading the negative reviews, I'll say this: be the stealthy assassin, not the blast-everything-in-his-path guy. Better yet, try to get through the game without killing. That's where this game really shines.

Doshonored is extremely well done and polished. Before playing, I thought it would be Skyrim-esk, but the game world is more Deus Ex, in that you have mission areas to
    explore & clear. I generally like open-ended words like Skyrim, but for some reason, the ambiance in Dishonored makes it 100% enjoyable anyway. This might be the first game I have ever played twice.

Dishonored is, you know, "that game" that gets you feeling like you can't wait to get back to it. Hell, I created a Metacritic account just to vote on this one.
  90. Nov 18, 2012
    I don't understand why some people are giving this game low ratings ! The game is an absolute beauty.. great graphics, great plot, great tactics, great character skills.. enough said... 10 for me
  91. Nov 18, 2012
    I rarely play a game more than once or hunt for Achievements. A part of it has to do with the fact that I don't really have the time, but mostly I get bored while playing a game the second time.
    With Dishonored, I ended up doing 3 playthroughs and getting 1000G Gamerscore within 3 weeks. I can't really name any game that gives you the tools and says "Do whatever you want, it's your
    choice" and succeeds on a level that Dishonored does.
    Almost every choice affects the game somehow and there are so many different ways to play a mission that I found new things even during my 3rd playthrough.
    The athmosphere and art of the world is stunning and ambitious and never ceases to amaze, the story is solid and changes along with your decisions. And when I say changes I don't mean you'll unlock another ending - the world actually gets darker and more dangerous the more people you kill, the Empress' daughter you are searching for will actually see a role model in you and your behavior and change along with your decisions.
    This game had me on the edge of my seat, marveling at the many things it does right, but mostly of all at the fact that it is the first game that truly delivers on the saying "We give you the tools, you do what you want". Game of the Year for me, by a longshot and a recommendation to anyone that enjoys games where choices really do affect gameplay and the world around the protagonist.
  92. Dec 13, 2012
    My Game of the Year. The gameplay is some of the best this year. It's unique and satisfying. The amount of options you have to choose from while playing through the gripping story is mind boggling. You can play the whole game sneaking or go all out and kill everyone. Graphics aren't realistic and gorgeous but they're still amazing (on max) and fit the game very well.
  93. Nov 25, 2012
    I am a veteran of the Thief franchise. I played all 3, and they are easily the best stealth games out there on the market, even now. But this game, this wonderful game, took me back to the days of starting the second Thief. I did not expect anything when i first tried it, but within an hour i was blowing peoples heads off, throwing spike traps at people and watching them explode, and sleep darting dogs.I did not realize that I got to this point. I blinked around, first in front of someone, and then behind them to plant a bullet in the back of the head. Horridly grotesque, but amazing feeling when you blow a guy to bits. Oh yea, good story too. Expand
  94. Dec 3, 2012
    It is a good game that is in line with much of my thoughts.Indeed im looking for a game just like it:better a huge world(although the dunwall city can not be called big),the several ways to complete the quests for players to choose freely(here i have sth. to say,since the game developers come up with this cool idea the collection of coins is not very good,u know i have to seek everywhere to find those coins,that is somewhat insane) ,and a story has connotation.To the other developers i think the last point is the hardest except Rockstars,2K games,and bethesda.But the styles of the other 2 companies are not correspond to the sneak games and their games lack degrees of freedom somewhat.
    I'm really looking forward to the sequels of dishonored and bethesda thinks too.Oh,thats really cool!Forgive me for the poor english as im a chinese.
  95. Jul 9, 2013
    Perfection

Story and world Fully developed and interesting!! Dunwall is like a tangible place in history. Interesting visual design and machines in the game (if maybe not enough of em). The story is average at best but gets the job done doesn't matter too me.

Gamplay The first game in YEARS to truly deliver on promises of gameplay choice! You can truly play your way. Assualt
    gameplay tends to be more favoured but it still plays as a great sneak em up title!! Interesting gadgets and unique powers not seen in other games! Climbing and movement is smooth as can be, blinking around is super badass. Possession and entry is fun. Slow time kill combos are epic.

Sound Great voice acting very good sound design. Music is a bit of a let down not enough variety, and what is there is boring at best. Some orchestral scores will go a long way.

Graphics Great looking 'oil painting style" never seen before. Textures range from average to mind blowing. Great lighting work. Character models are amazing. Animations are qualit and use of physics in the game on enemies and objects help sell the immersion.

Maps Maps are not very diverse, but all interesting filled with enemies side quests and fun to do and see. Mission types could use a little more variety!

Replay value I have played through three times and loved each time, simply fantastic

DLC The knife of dunwall is excellent DLC that adds 3 more missions to the game, with a second expansion on the way.

BUY THIS GAME BRETHREN
  96. Dec 7, 2012
    Sadly I bought into the hype for this game, again. I never seem to learn. Having had a bit of a hiatus from games for a year the press this game was getting finally got me to dust off my (gaming) mouse and get stuck in. The way the (paid?) reviews talk you'd think this was the second coming, you'd think it was the best game of the last 5 years. Unfortunately it's not. Not even close. Once again we find ourselves traipsing through a dreary, hackneyed and clichéd world with everything, and I mean everything, from Game X,Y,Z thrown in for good measure but executed with such dullness that it's hard not to fall asleep while playing. Yes we have the weird bioshock-esque format (that was another over-hyped game in it's day that fell mega short on good gameplay and THIS game is far worse as far as gunplay is concerned) yes we have the dreary Half Life 2 atmosphere (but again nothing has beaten HL2 on that atmosphere yet and this game isn't going to), it even has bits from old cult classics such as 'Undying' in there - you'll know when you get to this (early) part what I mean. The feeling I'm left with is a game trying to be another 5 different games from history, and while it isn't 'bad' it is NOWHERE near these 10/10 'amazing' ratings it is getting! I guess standards have slipped over the years if this is supposed to be the new gaming nirvana? I won't mention any good points - just read the 100+ 10/10 reviews for that. I will mention: Terrible voice acting, static environments, no feel of dynamics to gameplay/gunplay, no sense of pacing, no atmosphere (though it seems to think it has), OLD graphics technology (not even a hint of depth of field, object blur etc all the stuff that is now standard practice, this game art direction aside which is good, looks like a game from 2004!), too MANY pick up items (Bioshock suffered a bit from this but this game is terrible!) TOO MUCH hand holding (every waypoint highlighted by default, every item/gate/door flashing and telling you exactly what you need which leads too...), no sense of self discovery, very linear feeling (the reviews made it sound like and older fashioned GTA done right!?? no way!) Aw man I could go on and on but this game already sucked up enough time from my life that I can never get back, all I'm trying to do is warn others to go in with LOWER expectations than the reviews may give you. It is NOT anywhere near as good as old classics like Theif or Deus Ex were in their day! And It doesn't hold a candle gameplay wise or graphics wise to many other games from the past 5 years. Also the human characters are terrible, poorly proportioned (I get this is part of the art direction), ugly ugly faces (do they have to be?), poor textures, poor lighting. Overall the worst thing for me was the feeling of how static everything seemed, not just the levels but the characters, the gameplay, the conversations... oh man those conversations make the laughable stuff from the adventure game Black Mirror (one) seem like works of art! It just has a very old-fashioned (In a bad way) feel about it. A very average game with a nice enough art direction missing out on what makes games FUN. Others may rate me down, seems people hate criticism about a game they love but sorry, these are my genuine feelings I'm left with from a game that made me feel glad to go play any other game than this! I actually felt depressed while playing the thing! a combination of plodding gameplay and overly linear hand holding. I don't know WHY this game is getting so highly rated but it's a shame if people really are thinking this is the best the industry can achieve in 2012? I have a fast PC have it on full settings (though it is still console nerfed even then) and it does nothing for me. it feels flat and boring. And relies far too much on the cheap version of 'stealth' (basically DO as you are told, and sneak up on everyone - boring, stealth has been done a million times better than this in anything from the uncharted series to splinter cell!) do NOT buy this game if you are hoping for real stealth gameplay that feels visceral and exciting. It's not here. It is by the numbers. The game is decently enough presented with more options than a typical console port at least but I just can't shake the feeling i've played THIS game before, over and over in so many other games that did it first and did it better. I swear you would be better off playing HL2+episodes as old as it is than touching this game. Honest final opinion? I'd rather go read a book! Expand
  97. Jan 4, 2013
    Amazing game. I like the visuals, I like the voice acting, I like the plot, I like the killing animations. I like to be a puppeteer. I can choose if I want to be an angel of death or mercy. I never felt so much like an assassin in a game ever before. I like eavesdropping on my enemies. I like using my powers because they are actually useful. I like experimenting with my weapons and pushing my skills to the limit. I like Dishonored. Expand
  98. Apr 15, 2013
    For years, I expect a title so addictive, and the guys at Arkane have succeeded in their aim. Dishonored is a title that everyone should play, well-articulated plot that puts you in front of important choices also have the chance to reach the target in multiple ways, stealth or solver of the situation while having fun with the various methods of killing. The quests are a pure fun, do not get bored and offers the opportunity to explore in depth the background of this title. Technically there is to say that Dishonored is not, graphically speaking, like today's headlines, but fortunately this is not a flaw in my view, in fact, despite the good quality graphics, you can play it even on systems that do not necessarily generation, winking to those who can not afford graphics cards on the market today. A round of applause also to the dubbing, which makes it very complete and fascinating. What else to say? Buy it and enjoy it, partly because the replay value is assured Expand
  99. Dec 22, 2012
    Just freaking awesome!

No better games of this genre this year, so much action and intensity throughout the entire game, couldnt get enough of it!!!!!
  100. Dec 23, 2012
    Ce jeu est magnifique et jouissif à tous les égards : Possibilités énormes, jeu de haute volée, unique en son genre. Gameplay 10/10 graphismes ( j'adore ) 10/10 scénario 10/10 rejouabilité 10/10. Le jeu est tellement addictif que le temps n'existe plus ! Des jeux comme cela ( une perle rare ) on en redemande !
    Bravo à Arkane Studio (
    dev ) & Bethesda ( Editeur et aides ). Expand
  101. Jan 2, 2013

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]