6.8

1. May 5, 2014
    Shallow mechanics, unfunny inside jokes, poor art style. Just a joke game that got too far. If you are ok with the idea of buying a crappy flash game for 10 dollars suit yourself. But I can tell you, you can buy dozens of really great games in steam with those same 10 dollars.
  2. Dec 31, 2013
    A parody of the fighting genre that in itself is a fantastic fighting game. The presentation may not be triple A, but the game is too fun for that to matter.
  3. Dec 31, 2013
    Simply put, do not waste your money! Its a bad game that belongs as something you play on the side of your browser. It should be free and maybe with a pay-pal option to support the developer.
    It is a very simple shallow fighting game that is reminiscent of a snes game, I fail to see how anyone should take it seriously.
  4. Dec 24, 2013
    Good humor, simple controls and it really brings you back to classic games like street fighter. You can really get into this one. Dive Kick is a superb game.
  5. Dec 21, 2013
    Brilliant game that makes both wonderful parody and surprisingly in depth combat. Whenever friends come over I insist that we play Divekick, the game is pretty easy to pick up because there are only two buttons but it stays interesting because there are so many different ways to chain moves together. Especially considering each character is totally unique (both in kick and special moves).

I've logged 10 hours on steam so far. Mostly playing the online "ranked mode" against strangers.
  6. Dec 1, 2013
    It's a great concept, simple and fun. But there are so many inside jokes from the competitive fighting game and game development scenes that this ends up alienating the average player. After playing for some days I got a bit tired of those weird characters and nonsensical (for me) one-liners.
  7. Nov 26, 2013
    This is a game made by the fighting game community... NOT for the fighting game community. It has loads of jokes, funny references, amazing voice acting etc. Whilst it's funny, the gameplay is actually pretty good! With just two buttons they've managed to get a decent variety of characters with great stages and models as well as the simplest gameplay around. Although simple, it's very fun and still a fighting game at its core, but made more accessible. It's a game you can show to those who never even play video games and they'd be able to pick up and play. It's no complete package or deep like Street Fighter or anything, but it does what it set out to do and does it well. It's just a bit too expensive for what it is though. Expand
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    If you manage to navigate through the lengthy and superannoying menu panels, where you can only use a combination of two keys as in the actual gameplay (advice for every gamedev in the world: don't do that ever again, it's the worse usability choice in the universe and will drive some people crazy), you will find a barebone but briefly enjoyable fighting game, where using only two keys you'll be able to jump and kick. Too bad that each fight loads very slowly, for such a barebone game. And that key controls don't seem to be implemented as well as they should, since pressing them together, which should perform special moves, often doesn't work. And that between each short round of a single fighting match (short as in "as soon as you manage to land a kick it's over") you'll have to wait for the announcer to say aaaaaallll his thing eeeeeveryyy time.
    Also, the one feature that seems interesting is online matchmaking, but it seems that no one plays this game so I couldn't even try that.
    I know I sound harsh, and actually the concept behind Divekick is quite interesting, but the overall user experience (on PC at least maybe it's better on other systems) is so terrible that it made me hyper-frustrated.
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    It's partly an inside joke, with characters like Zubaz and Kung Pao. However, some jokes are accessible to everyone, making fun of fighting game stereotypes. As for gameplay, it's an interesting fast paced take on a move in almost every fighting game. Two buttons somehow make for satisfying gameplay. For what this game is, it's one of the best kickstarted games around.
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    I'm pretty bored of normal fighting games, have been for a long time. Thank you for bringing some fun, funny, and refreshing to the table. It might not last the longest, but its really just fun to pick up and play with a few peps and have an enjoyable time with.
  11. Aug 20, 2013
    Excellent skill based fighter that is funny and has comedic references to gaming culture on the outisde, and maintains an incredibly deep fighting system underneath that uses the 'hard to master' philosophy but only requiring to 'dive' and 'kick'.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Divekick's minimalist approach works well. While the game is very easy to pick up, it still has enough depth to keep also fighting game connoisseurs entertained for a good while. Even the cheap jokes are funny. [Dec 2013]
  2. Nov 14, 2013
    A perfect game for the last stage of a party – its gameplay is very simple, the fights are very short and there’s a lot of goofiness. [12/2013, p.67]
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    It has grown in scale and scope, and become a worse game a result. [Dec 2013, p.83]