7.1

1. Aug 6, 2013
    This is not an RTS. Or rather, it's as much an RTS as Skyrim is a game about crafting weapons. It's a game that's hard to judge, because it's three very different things, an RPG, a TBS, and an RTS, all wrapped up with a card game on top and a garnish of action gameplay.

The amazing thing is that in all of it, what comes out is a fantastic game. The graphics are beautiful, the characters are well-realized, and the disparate parts feel like separate parts of a whole experience. Yes, the strategy is a little shallow--but that's because it's not the whole game. The game as a whole is about being, fittingly, a dragon commander. And it's great.
  2. Aug 6, 2013
    I am usually not a big fan of RTS games, but this one just instantly attracted me. After playing the beta and now release im sold. This is an amazing unique game.
    It has elements of tactical RTS gameplay that mostly rely on finding the right unit counters and using the right abilities (If you think its about zerging.. lower the gamespeed please..). aside from that you havethe first-person dragon fighting which is just awesom the amount of roles yo can adjust your dragon and units to is great and realy makes it as if you are constantly thinking every single skill you choose to have big impact ad then you have the political system/cardsystem cards are a great addition and allow for small buffs/units for 1 battle or 1 turn. The political system is quite interesting.. choices impact moneyincome, happiness, attunement to different races, cardgain and what cards you gain etc. etc.

In my opinion this game is a bit of everything.. BUT it is simply great at everything. Its a jack of all trades that mastered all :D
  3. ERB
    Aug 8, 2013
    Epic game!Dragon Commander is a fine a game and also very fun.Graphics are cool but except for the story but still this game deserves a high score because it addicting and very fun at the same time.
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    This is a very unique game blending RTS, TBS, and the ability to play a dragon on the battle this is quite a different step from the previous Divinity game.
  5. Aug 6, 2013
    I didn’t finish the game, but I am finished with the game. I played for three hours hoping it would get better; Divinity: Dragon Commander can’t figure out if it is a strategy game, a RPG, or a card based game. It tries to be all three, and it fails hard. You should pass on this one.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    As a fan of strategy games which I play endlessly on my free time I was happy to see a new game out. Sadly this game should be put back into Alpha and pulled from the Steam store. The biggest issues I've had with it so far on Easy is within 3 turns I've lost my main base despite building units before they come to attack and while inside. They attacked with a massive army, how the hell am IAs a fan of strategy games which I play endlessly on my free time I was happy to see a new game out. Sadly this game should be put back into Alpha and pulled from the Steam store. The biggest issues I've had with it so far on Easy is within 3 turns I've lost my main base despite building units before they come to attack and while inside. They attacked with a massive army, how the hell am I suppose to stop that? 25% chance to win on 3 turns? Secondly I had a fight that had stated that I only had 1% chance to win but I figure I might as well give it a try. It started off good and then 1 minute in I went from 1000 population down to 500...wait what? Where did they all go? I didn't spend them. Then as the fight progressed and I started losing since I've lost half my population within the first minute and had only built a few units I scramble to get a decent size army going. Within 3-4 of minutes after spending 300 so recruits I was getting repeated messages that I was losing 4 recruits because the enemy had more buildings than me? Despite the fact my army was crushing theirs and we were making progress. So I sold my army production buildings when I took back a resource so I can build a new one. The 4 recruits being removed goes so quick and repeatedly that I had lost 100 something recruits and only 1 resource building built before all recruits are gone. What the hell is that? Last but not least, the auto-resolve system. Why would you dare make a strategy game where I can't fight all battles? Why am I forced to auto-resolve battles? Terrible just terrible system. Probably the worst $40 dollars I have ever spent on Steam so far. Expand
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    It is actually a good game. Gotta love Dragons with Jetpacks, flying around destroying everything in their paths.

To the game play, it is not a traditional RTS, you can switch between dragon mode and command your troops via keyboard shortcuts or stay in rts mode. Preferably both to support your units. I find the different units to be quite decent, but there is still a lack of variation, imo. Once you get a unit unlocked and upgraded you feel 'complete.' By the end of chapter 2 I had all units unlocked, with all upgrades, and all dragon upgrades.

There is a bridge system, akin to Starcraft 2, which allows you to research unit upgrades, as well as talk to "staff members" to get more of the story. Each staff member you choose to side with has a positive and negative impact on faction standings within your empire.

Empires have 5 factions, Dwarves, Elves, Lizards, Imps, Undead. Each one has a balance of power. Keep the power 50% or above to receive extra gold and chances to have autoresolved outcomes as a success.

You can only attack with your dragon ONCE A TURN, after that you must auto resolve. This is not as bad as one might think, except your generals can help you resolve battles with a higher chance of winning, but you can only use one general a turn, on TOP OF YOUR DRAGON!!! This creates a few issues and gripes.

The game is quite long but it lacks an rapid fire toggle in the game menu. I find myself having to simply wear my mouse down to simply fire fast enough to destroy most of the enemy bases/units. A toggle to fire in full auto, would be better, especially since there is a cooldown bar for the primary attack.

I am not a huge fan of the "Steam punk Genre," more of a cyberpunk guy, but this integrated steam pumk quite well. Plus... Dragons who have jetpacks...

Now, to the games faults, where it lacks in ways it should not. First of all, the graphics, the dragons are very well textures/modeled/etc. Highest quality in the game... The other units and world, however, are closer to the same graphics they used in C&C3, which clashes with the superb dragon models.

Some of the characters I absolutely HATE!!!! Half of the npcs are pompous/drunken the other half are feminists with a massive attitude issue. The only npc I could seem to find to be... interesting, subtle, and not a complete twit, would be the lesbian general.

This having been said, I recommend this game if you like the thought of commanding a small army and conquering a game world as a DRAGON!!! flying around destroying stuff.
  8. Aug 21, 2013
    I'll preface this with how I plan to end it: It's a con. If you're buying this game for the dragon, or for the promises that Larian originally made, don't. Please don't. Even if you don't trust me, I implore you to wait for a demo so that you can see for yourself.

This game, to me, was a massive disappointment. Early on it was described as a dragon air-combat game with elements of

This game, to me, was a massive disappointment.

Early on it was described as a dragon air-combat game with elements of political intrigue. What it is is avery poorly realised traditional RTS (traditional in the sense that it's similar to ancient RTS games like Dune, which just aren't great when compared to modern RTS standards); an unimaginative, watered down, and strategy-challenged take on Risk; some buffs and debuffs optimistically described as a 'card game;' and 'RPG elements' which are the precise equivalent of those simplistic Choose Your Own Adventure books from the '80s.

Even the most redeeming point, the Choose Your Own Adventure elements, are ruined by the fact that your most important choices are made for you you cannot choose to not have a partner, you cannot choose the gender of your partner, and you have no agency or control over how the game ends (there's one ending, and it's not exactly what you'll have been looking for as the closing moments of your supposedly epic struggle). Infuriatingly, the game even builds up this fellow named The Architect as the big bad, then you never meet him. That would be like removing Sovereign from the end of Mass Effect.

The RTS element is just nauseatingly phoned in. It's obvious that the so-called RTS section was originally designed as a MOBA, until they ran out of resources to create new unit types and just slapped a clumsy RTS interface over the top of it instead. The clumsy RTS interface doesn't hide that the AI is blobby and follows pre-defined paths (like a MOBA AI would), nor does it hide the problems with the dragon. The dragon feels like it was designed for a MOBA game (versus other hero dragons) and it would have agency and use there, but with the half-hearted switch to RTS the dragon becomes an afterthought rather than a focal element. There's fun to be had in the MOBA it could have been, had they finished it.

The game was originally painted as having the dragon play an important role combating air fortreses of various sorts, with enemy dragons, and even with your own generals having their own dragon forms. You can see evidence of all I'm talking about in the screenshots and even the concept art, but a bait & switch was pulled by scrapping that. I wish they'd warned me so I could have requested a refund from my pre-purchase. If you were buying this game for the dragon... just don't. It's a con.

I'd love to have received the game that Larian promised rather than what I got, because certain elements aren't terrible. The plot and the writing up until Act III, where it all goes to rot (demonic corruption a la WoW), and the characters are compelling even if your interactions with them are limited. I can see how Dragon Commander could be a good game, but the truth is is that it's an awful game.
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    I have already played around 70 hours (~60 in the beta) and all I can say is that I love the game. I found myself laughing at all the jokes and humour at least a dozen times and was left begging for more. the single player part of the game is quite short but replaying it is worth it even though the final outcome is always the same simply to listen to every possible reactions you'll getI have already played around 70 hours (~60 in the beta) and all I can say is that I love the game. I found myself laughing at all the jokes and humour at least a dozen times and was left begging for more. the single player part of the game is quite short but replaying it is worth it even though the final outcome is always the same simply to listen to every possible reactions you'll get from the NPCs. The main story line is mediocre at best, the writing is superb and the voice acting amazing. the RTS part is really fun especially against friends and the same can be said about the multiplayer campaigns. oh and did I mention that you are a dragon that wears a FREAKING JETPACK? ^

I can only recommend this game to anyone who likes to listen to tons of humour and destroy every friendship they have
  10. Aug 6, 2013
    At a first look seems like a really nice game with all those fantasy nations and their generalas. When i reached the global chart, i thought: "well, not bad, looks like a game from Total War series" But getting into RTS mode crosses all the expectations. Ugly units together with poor environment and out-of-date gameplay mechanics completely turns me against this game. And even the abilityAt a first look seems like a really nice game with all those fantasy nations and their generalas. When i reached the global chart, i thought: "well, not bad, looks like a game from Total War series" But getting into RTS mode crosses all the expectations. Ugly units together with poor environment and out-of-date gameplay mechanics completely turns me against this game. And even the ability to ride the dragon does not make it any better. Expand
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    You know how people say that things like religion and politics are best left out of conversations with friends? Divinity: Dragon Commander puts these concerns front and center, and places you in the hot seat to make all the tough calls, delivering a real-time strategy experience that, though lacking refinement in some areas, makes your decisions in the throne room as important as the onesYou know how people say that things like religion and politics are best left out of conversations with friends? Divinity: Dragon Commander puts these concerns front and center, and places you in the hot seat to make all the tough calls, delivering a real-time strategy experience that, though lacking refinement in some areas, makes your decisions in the throne room as important as the ones on the battlefield. Jumping into an AI skirmish to get a feel for the mechanics first, I was initially unnerved by what I saw. The lack of any fog of war, combined with the wide-open tech tree, made combat feel spineless and unstructured compared to the precise builds and attack timings of StarCraft 2. The art direction is similarly without organization, with pastel and base colors fighting a little war of their own while I tried to reconcile the steampunk unit designs with their arboreal, fantasy surroundings. After being all but slapped in the face with a generic looking “VICTORY!” screen, and being spat back out to the main menu, I anticipated a long, bumpy road ahead of me.
    Split into three different game phases a point-and-click exploration of your ship and its inhabitants, a risk-style world map around involves strategically placing units in turn-based gameplay, and sprawling battlefields where forward-thinking is crucial Divinity: Dragon Commander is clearly trying to appeal to gamers of widely varying preferences and sensibilities. Though the three separate gameplay phases are tied together and balanced quite well, the RPG elements of Divinity: Dragon Commander are significantly more understated than the RTS game mechanics. The player character’s background, for example, is fixed: you are the bastard son of the recently deceased Emperor Sigurd I and a beautiful woman called Aurora, who was a dragon in disguise. When the old emperor is betrayed and murdered by your more legitimate siblings, you are tasked with defending the kingdom from their squabbles and drives towards expansion.
    Character customization is quite limited to picking one of three dragon types, and the remainder of the role-playing is relegated to making decisions about political and social policies, such as whether or not to legalize doctor-prescribed narcotics, or to start taxing the region’s rich and powerful church. Of course, the player’s actual approach to battles and choosing skills to invest in also allow for a greater sense of connectedness with the character (will you research the best machinery available and command from a distance, or dive in headfirst and start flinging fireballs?) but since going to one extreme or the other is a surefire way to make things extremely difficult for yourself, most players would end up taking a middle-ground approach.

The AI isn't exactly genius level, but it doesn't have to be in order to meet you in the middle of the map for an all-out slugfest, which is what you'll inevitably be doing. Huge deathballs of units (reminiscent of Total Annihilation) collide amusingly while you assume direct control of your dragon, whose customizable ability bar allows him to act as something of a hero unit. Laying waste to armies as a dragon doesn't quite elicit immediate thrills though, owing mostly to how cumbersome it can be to order your legions about whilst in dragon mode. A heavy reliance on awkward hotkey combinations keeps things from ever feeling truly fluid, but once I got used to it, commanding the many unique and powerful units while swooping about and raining death on my foes proved to be a unique sort of fun. As a stand-alone RTS experience, its focus on going wherever your enemy is and getting bloody with them might have rung a bit hollow, but as one cog in a much bigger, more intricate machine, it works quite well.
    Divinity: Dragon Commander definitely shouldn’t be missed for fans of real-time strategy, excelling at the art of tense and exciting battles where planning and in-depth knowledge of available resources is essential. If you were only really interested in the story and RPG elements then the game will most likely leave you feeling a little dissatisfied, but you can always blow up some zeppelins and then fly away into the sunset to cheer yourself up.
  12. Aug 8, 2013
    The RTS is nice and deep regardless of the rubbish some people claim, it literally takes quite some micro and fantastic cross unit and dragon skill combinations to destroy your enemy. However the dragon is limited at the start of the battles to ensure a steady buildup. This was an awesome experience, the game is an absolute charm and reflects a lot of love for the seperate genres. Buy thisThe RTS is nice and deep regardless of the rubbish some people claim, it literally takes quite some micro and fantastic cross unit and dragon skill combinations to destroy your enemy. However the dragon is limited at the start of the battles to ensure a steady buildup. This was an awesome experience, the game is an absolute charm and reflects a lot of love for the seperate genres. Buy this game if you are a gamer looking for a fresh game and above all an experience covering more than one specific genre. Expand
  13. Aug 9, 2013
    The game has a tonne of character... but it fails on its fundementals. Once you get over the fact that you can turn into a dragon you find you are left with a bad RTS.
    The RTS part of the game is just flat out BAD. Very bad. Just click and zerg your units towards the enemy, no subtlety involved.
    Early game consists of charging to the undefended capture points. Run fast enough and you get to carry on with the level fail to capture them and the level is lost 1 minute in.
    Mid game consists of throwing waves of units at enemy bases to capture them while supporting with your dragon. No variation or subtlety.
    End game is reached when the map runs out of resources. It consists of waiting while making sure the enemies resource counter runs down marginally faster than yours. Often in the end game attacking is foolish as you'll use up more resources than you destroy which puts you closer to defeat. In effect this means that when the game begins to stalemate, you're encouraged to turtle up.
  14. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the one we've been waiting for! I've wanted a game like this since I was 14 and it's finally here. I've never written a review before but this game is just so good it has to be known. It's been tried so many times over the years, to bring rpgs and rts' together and it's never been done well (in my opinion).

Dragon Commander does this AND adds Grand Strategy and a bit of

Dragon Commander does this AND adds Grand Strategy and a bit of political simulation into the mix as well! It's absolutely terrific. The political parts could have a bit more depth and I'm not a fan of the cards, but everything else is done so well. It's a pure joy to fly over your armies and watch them obliterate the enemy. It's got land, sea and air and everything is pulled off so well. It's strategic, it's funny, it's interesting and very very addictive.

I haven't been much of a gamer lately, nothing has caught my interest for a while the night I started playing was the first time in years that I stayed up late for a game and the morning after was the first morning in even longer when I thought about a game as soon as I woke up.

GET THIS!
  15. Aug 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this but it just felt unfinished and unpolished and extremely shallow. The RTS component is abyssmal and is about as in-depth as a flash game. The turn-based strategy is somehow less complex than a boardgame like RISK. The RPG (dialogue and diplomacy) elements feel completely out of place in that they are the best part of the game but it really isn't built aroundI really wanted to like this but it just felt unfinished and unpolished and extremely shallow. The RTS component is abyssmal and is about as in-depth as a flash game. The turn-based strategy is somehow less complex than a boardgame like RISK. The RPG (dialogue and diplomacy) elements feel completely out of place in that they are the best part of the game but it really isn't built around it. It's a really weird feeling. Overall it has been some of the least entertainment I've had while playing a game. The game would be fantastic if there was more too it but it's just so convoluted in design yet simplistic in execution that it falls flat on it's face. The only way I played past the first hour was auto-resolving every single RTS battle because it was that bad and strategy games are my favorite genre. It's cool that it is unique and tried something new but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Expand
  16. Aug 10, 2013
    What a great game! Featuring beautiful graphics and a variety of gameplay elements like RPG, RTS, etc., Dragon Commander is all things to all people. I don't know who couldn't enjoy this neat mishmash of genres. Highly recommended. If you dislike Dragon Commander, you dislike fun, and do you want to dislike fun?
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    Divinity Dragon Commander is a very interesting and unique blend of RTS, TBS and RPG gameplay. While the RTS aspect isn't as deep and complex as other games it offers loads of fun (which is the entire point of a game).
    Dragon Commander stands out from the crowd with its excellent writing and charming characters. Who wouldn't want to befriend a bunch of maniacal religious undead zealots or racist lizard people?
    The soundtrack, as always from Larian Studios games, is well done and fits the game perfectly, Kirill Pokrovsky does a wonderful job yet again.
    Graphically the game looks good, animations are fluid and facial animations are superb.
  18. Aug 7, 2013
    The games narrative side is it's main and only real strength although it to suffers from missed opportunity's, rather glaring ones in fact.

You never meet your enemy's, never speak a word to them nor do you meet there people or your own beyond hand picked advisers and generals. The combat is zergy think supreme commander without the depth the strategy map is risk cards and all. I

I just can't help but think of what could of been, so often the case with larian games though isn't it, "alright, wish they'd been more ambitious" every larian game. A real shame.
  19. Aug 9, 2013
    8.7/10
    Its very enjoyable game a great mix of RTS and RPG. I really like political choices u have to make and how they affect gameplay. Im not big fan of RTS but in this game im enjoying it very much. The dragon form in RTS battles is very clever invention and handy in dire situations. Story is predictable but still good enough to keep u interested.
  20. Aug 13, 2013
    Game is trying to be 2 or 3 different games and succeeding at none of them.

Boring story with no unique elements but rather just cliched characters and plot devices. The RTS had pretty poor graphics and no real tutorial as to how to play. Sloppy looking and sloppy feeling version of an overhead RTS that you've seen done better almost anywhere else. The roleplaying elements were
    Game is trying to be 2 or 3 different games and succeeding at none of them.

The roleplaying elements were pretty cheap as well. Linear and irrelevant.

The game is large and overwhelming to begin and it doesn't appear to pay off.

The one thing I will say positive is that the game is smooth. The multiple screens and HUDs and interfaces transition quickly and without issue. They build the game well, the game was just poorly designed.
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    Too bad for strategy. Too bad for for tactics. Have nothing from RPG and nothing from original divinity series. Ugly graphics on the tactic-map, bored and unbalanced gameplay, have no any creativeness or innovating. All storyline and atmosphere is complitely farce. Sit down, Larian, your work is unsatisfactory.
  22. Aug 10, 2013
    Those who are giving this game very low marks are not being rational. This is by no means a perfect game, and still has a few bugs and other kinks to work out but I am impressed by the originality and cohesiveness-of-purpose its disparate elements nonetheless end up equating to. To not recognize the clear effort that went into this makes a mockery of the idea of User Scores. I'm sure theydThose who are giving this game very low marks are not being rational. This is by no means a perfect game, and still has a few bugs and other kinks to work out but I am impressed by the originality and cohesiveness-of-purpose its disparate elements nonetheless end up equating to. To not recognize the clear effort that went into this makes a mockery of the idea of User Scores. I'm sure theyd be happier with the latest major studio AAA me-too feature checklist and DLC moneygrab Expand
  23. Aug 14, 2013
    At this point, I have little to add about the gameplay itself, but I'd like to say that Dragon Commander's flirtation with 'current affairs' is equally mediocre and shallow as the rest of its parts.
    Certain reviewers seem to be ecstatic about the sort of terms thrown around (like "gay marriage", and "universal healthcare"), but the way they are presented, (not) discussed, and how their opponents are demonized (literally, the undead creatures without flesh are against women voting, for some unseen reason; and a fat capitalist pig (TM) talks against elven homsexuals, because 'obviously' successful industrialists are only attracted to one gender), all reeks of writing level that is beneath high-school. The flat voice acting only made me cringe further, upon hearing some of the lines.
    If this is an attempt at satire, it fails even at grasping the meaning of the word, and instead comes off as simplistic political conformism, which tries to make the game appeal to young audiences.
    In that, it is an insult to one's intelligence, but I guess that the bad writing fits in perfectly with the overall shallowness and mediocrity of every other component of the game.
    In short, do NOT buy if you're old enough to correctly spell your own name.
  24. Aug 11, 2013
    Dragon Commander is a hard beast to give a note to. To evaluate it fairly, one really needs to look at the whole picture. Each of the parts of the game (RTS, Strategic, RPG, Card Game etc) are pretty alright on their own, but unlike many other games, the sum of them is what make this product outstanding.

Rarely will you see a game where the sum of its parts ends up being far more than the individual parts. Yet in this case, Larian managed to do such a magic trick. Dragon Commander is a unique, yet fun and addictive game if you give it a try.
  25. Aug 8, 2013
    Good game. A lot of meaningful units, skills, system maps, three dragons, you can use different combat tactics, combine the skills and the map depending on the situation, as a strategy game a great and highly addictive. I would like to have more variety, but the fact that there will be enough for me personally many hours playing.
  26. Aug 20, 2013
    I can't understand people who gave 10 to this game. The game play is a normal RTS with some new ideas players can control the dragon in the battle..), however nothing very special. The graphics are average... for a 2013 PC only game i expect a lot better.
    The campaign is short, not well written and with strange events, for example: at the beginning of the game i had only 2 commanders, they were "hating" my character... then in the first turn i got a neutral territory, i came back to the story menu... suddenly 2 new commanders in addition to the first two are arrived. The old ones now don't hate my character and they said "great battle commander, you're a true warrior"... what battle!?!? I just moved my troops in neutral territory!!!
    This is an unpolished, unfinished, under average game. Not worth 10$. Dunno how they sold it at 40$!
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    Phenomenal game. Combines a number of successful features from other games and blends it all into something unique and all it's own.

It takes a number of cues from Starcraft 2, in particular exploring your ship and interacting with crew, upgrading your units and researching upgrades and then throws in certain political elements by giving you a council of advisors and 6 races to appease. Between missions those advisors often bring political issues to your attention and let you choose whether to approve or disapprove them, which will have ramifications on your standing with certain races/factions. The issues brought to your attention are reflective of modern quandaries, such as legalising marijuana, gay marriage or conscription.

It's worth noting too that all of the characters are delightfully voice acted and extremely likeable/hateable. There's no sincere generic fantasy tropes or cheesy voice acting here. There *are* fantasy tropes but they're used mainly for humour, as well as to highlight the political issues (the elves are ultra liberals and a conservative's nightmare, the Dwarves ultra conservative, and the Undead religious fundamentalists).

The campaign itself is functional enough, very reminiscent of Battle For Middle Earth 2's custom campaigns, whereby you upgrade provinces and buy units and invade enemy lands over a series of turns (build/buy and attack/defend). The battles themselves too are functional, with the units and combat bringing to mind Rise of Legends and the first Battle For Middle Earth respectively, with free building slot points scattered over the map that must be contested.

In all, a unique game with nothing else quite like it out there, and oozes charm.
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    Really awesome innovative game! Fresh in the gaming genre! Mix RPG, RTS, board game element and Third Person Action game wow! Have your ship where you interact with story characters, political decision that influence the game and mores (purchase troops, skills and mores...). Go to the world map, and build yours troops/buildings on the map like the board game "Risk". When a battle occur, goReally awesome innovative game! Fresh in the gaming genre! Mix RPG, RTS, board game element and Third Person Action game wow! Have your ship where you interact with story characters, political decision that influence the game and mores (purchase troops, skills and mores...). Go to the world map, and build yours troops/buildings on the map like the board game "Risk". When a battle occur, go fight yourself with your dragon in RTS mode and call your dragon in-game and do some third person action with your dragon and skills or let your generals do the fight for you. Love the game! Expand
  29. Aug 14, 2013
    A word of advance warning: I might be slightly biased, as the value for money ratio for this game was ridiculously good. I got it as a gift for backing Divinity: Original Sin on Kickstarter, so... :-)
    For a free gimme, this game is excellent fun. And I can honestly say that, even though I'm not a big fan of RTS games. I'm an old fart, and I prefer my strategy games turn-based, not the hectical click-fests of today :-P
    The overall presentation, Story and campaign mission are hilarious and fun. The whole political intigue thing is wonderfully over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek. If not taken too seriously, it's really a blast. Moving units on the strategy map is great, with many options, lots of ways to skin a cat and clever enemies. I love that part of the game, and wish I could skip ALL of the battles by handing them to my generals :-)
    The RTS battles are too hectic for my taste, especially when trying to simultaneouly control the dragon. No way to get THIS to work, I'm afraid. While the computer enemy keeps building, issuing orders that make (sometimes) sense and moving troops in a sensible way, you are down aome veray basic ordes, while dodging missiles. Not my piece of cake. The Opponents' AI in these batlles is very bad however, counterbalanced by blatant cheating. Also, a way to have my own units use their special abilities (Shaman's protective cloak, Warlock's turn enemy to bugs, trooper's self-destruct etc.) on their own is sorely missed. Enemies constantly do that by the dozen, and I'm simply in no way as good at micromanaging 30 clicks a second like the AI. Not my favourite part of the game. Still, the battles can be fun, and in most cases a good strategy will win a battle. Lightnig fast mouseclicking wins more easily, though ;-)
    Still, all in all, it's a good, fun game that kept me entertained for quite some time. I give it a solid 7, with a bonus point for the good price...
  30. Aug 16, 2013
    I love this unusual game. Not one to be pigeonholed into an easy-to-swallow genre fit for a soundbite, Divinity: Dragon Commander is a turn based strategy like RISK, a steampunk RTS, a dragon piloting action game, and dash of adventure and RPG, and more. What's so surprising is that the parts blend seamlessly, with almost poetic grace; I haven't seen a genre mashup this well constructedI love this unusual game. Not one to be pigeonholed into an easy-to-swallow genre fit for a soundbite, Divinity: Dragon Commander is a turn based strategy like RISK, a steampunk RTS, a dragon piloting action game, and dash of adventure and RPG, and more. What's so surprising is that the parts blend seamlessly, with almost poetic grace; I haven't seen a genre mashup this well constructed since Battlezone combined RTS stylings with sci-fi vehicle combat with stunning results.

You play a half-dragon/half-human who has to unite a medieval, steampunk-laced land split into factions by race (the usual dwarfs, elves, and such), and at the beginning of the game not even your generals want anything to do with you; one calls you a bastard right to your face. (I'd have his head removed, or transform into a dragon and eat him right then and there, but those weren't options.)

I wouldn't put D:DC on a pedestal quite as high as, say, Skyrim or the aforementioned Battlezone, but but it's definitely higher and more creative entertainment than the typical COD/Battlefield/whatever copycat garbage that trickles out of developers run by profit-driven corporations. Take a chance on this creative game and we just might see more development risks in the future. Otherwise, it's a future of indistinguishable military FPS clones.
  31. Aug 14, 2013
    Divinity: Dragon Commander, while more than the sum of its parts, falls flat thanks to three core failures. First, the game is riddled with bugs. I found myself confronted with occasional walls of unreadable gibberish when I opened up the kingdom status screen. This alone hardly made the game unplayable, but it certainly cheapened the experience. This did not feel like a completed game.Divinity: Dragon Commander, while more than the sum of its parts, falls flat thanks to three core failures. First, the game is riddled with bugs. I found myself confronted with occasional walls of unreadable gibberish when I opened up the kingdom status screen. This alone hardly made the game unplayable, but it certainly cheapened the experience. This did not feel like a completed game. Second, the actual gameplay, the RTS segments, were absolutely horrendous. Divinity: Dragon Commander seemingly offers players a wide variety of strategic maneuvers. However, in my experience, battles generally boiled down to wave tactics. Whoever could put the most troops out in the largest waves in the shortest period to time would, almost without fail, win. In an RTS, battles should not be number games. Having played my fair share of Total War games, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the mindless battles. In all fairness, the turn-based strategy elements work quite nicely. The card system was a nice touch, and the variety of buildings, units, cards, and territory bonuses that corresponded to the player's political choices felt fairly well designed. However, for a game that marketed itself as an RTS/third-person-shooter hybrid, the flawed RTS battles cannot be easily overlooked. Lastly, and this is truly the nail in this game's coffin, the actual core story is abysmal. There, I said it. Yes, it's an interesting premise, but the actual narrative has no real depth beyond the secret of the Raven (sorry, no spoilers for you). I expected the protagonist's siblings to actually have some relevance to the story. Instead, their sillouettes each get about thirty seconds of cut-scene time, and are then erased from the game when their capitals are captured. No epic confrontations, no dialogue, and no attention is paid to the unique attributes of these emperor-hopefuls. What a waste. Once the game is completed (this takes far too little time), there is no real sense of accomplishment. You captured a province, defeated the usurpers, and then defeated them again. You are now emperor, and your choices that you agonized over throughout the story no longer matter. Congratulations, you won an empty victory.

With such a scathing review, you may be wondering why I haven't rated this game lower. For all its flaws, and even despite the fact that it's basically just a Bioware-esque Total War game that fails to deliver on actual gameplay, the politics and turn-based strategy elements, not to mention the characters, somehow manage to keep this game interesting. It's heavily flawed, I cannot deny that, but it's entertaining while it lasts. If you're a gamer more interested in characters than story, and intrigued by choices rather than gameplay, then Divinity: Dragon Commander might by the game for you. Those gamers who want a fulfilling gameplay experience as well as a compelling narrative might want to wait until the price drops. A $40 pricetag for this game is absurd, considering that Total War: Shogun 2 is $10 cheaper and that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is also $40. Divinity: Dragon Commander would be appealing if found in a bargain bin, but not for so much more than it's truly worth.
  32. Aug 17, 2013
    A very unique game made for advanced RTS players. The dragon hero unit concept is truly unique adding genres together into the game that make for a unique experience. Characters in the single player campaign are a definite treat each brimming with personality.

Story is garbage. Bad guys are attacking! Fly and save the day! Despite the Raven having multiple choices with policies and your wife they don't change the game one bit except for in the difficulty department. The more favor you have with a race the more population is willing to draft in to the war so certain selected areas are going to benefit a tad more than others.

Characters in the game were fantastic. I loved the voice actors and how each character had their own personalities. This really made up for where the game was lacking in some departments but it's only story campaign so after that then... yeah.

Graphics and visuals aboard the Raven in the campaign are A+ Material. The in-game graphics are not something eye popping or amazing and the maps are frequently recycled making for boring gameplay as you go further.

Controls were AWFUL. Holy crap I couldn't get use to the camera at all and trying to navigate your units is a chore too. You get use to it somewhat but switching back and forward between dragon and buildings and units makes this for a more advanced RTS player. Casuals and people new or not very good at RTS multitasking on a high scale are not going to be able to adapt to this. You have way too many skills to cycle through and you're trying to use your dragon and focus on the battle while tabbing through all your unit types that are in the battle to use their skills while using the skills of the other units and using your dragons skills and building units from the barracks all at once. If you stop building units you're gonna die. Period. I'm a Starcraft 2 frequent player and am very skilled and I couldn't get use to the controls no matter how long I played. It's hard. That's it.

Difficulty in the game is hit or miss. I defiantly could not play on Normal or Hard against the Zerg rush AI. Easy was ok. Casual was way way way too easy. The AI will barrage you in non stop attacks making you rush around and with the poor controls as I said above makes this game overly frustrating and during the campaign the AI will be unrelentingly beating you into submission. Never did I ever catch a break because you're not vs 1 AI but 3. 3!!! So I constantly was defending my base and could hardly ever win any battles and... wow. Just wow. I had to stick it on Casual difficulty or I'd have gone mad.

Would I recommend this game? Are you a masochist? Do you enjoy challenge because of faulty controls and way too much to control all in one go? The game is unique I'll give them credit for that but... yeah. So if you don't mind the things I said above go for it. If not yeah no.
  33. Aug 11, 2013
    This is a amazing game adding elements from other great games and I personally love card games which somehow play a part in this game... Yeah I know sounds suckie but it is a great game other than a couple bugs that I have found but I hope that it is fixed. The best part is waging your wars, My favorite a lot of great conversations happen and great moments that I can still remember evenThis is a amazing game adding elements from other great games and I personally love card games which somehow play a part in this game... Yeah I know sounds suckie but it is a great game other than a couple bugs that I have found but I hope that it is fixed. The best part is waging your wars, My favorite a lot of great conversations happen and great moments that I can still remember even now. Lots of fun moments. Expand
  34. Aug 14, 2013
    Yes, the game is pretty confusing at the start, and you'll get the rear pelvic area of your body whipped. It's hard to put this game in some category, since the RTS/TBS/RPG elements are so inter-weaved. This most likely is not a RTS vor hardcore RTS players.
  35. Aug 11, 2013
    First of all i want to say that Dragon Commander isn't a bad game. I walk it through in one game session and enjoyed that. But i'll never return to it due to so much flows (in my opinion ofc) i'm going to tell you.
    First of all if you are looking for RTS/TBS like Total War or simular wait for TW: Rome 2. This game is nowhere near it. Something like extra-extra light version and with a tank rush on top. Oh, and with card (like bonuses/penalties for 1 combat or some turns on global map. There are few units that are actually useful (because armour hunter (with aa upgrade) mix just steam rolling everything). Few building you can build (mostly war factories and gold mines are useful). Other thing is that you going to fight mostly on the same 3-4 maps (very small ones) during the whole story campaign. Over and over again. That's not good for sure. Add units, that looks ugly as hell (except for your dragon) both on strategic map and in tactical combat, and all that auto-resolve things will be a blessing for you. Even counting that on lower difficulty levels your dragon is so OP, that you can just go in and win battle that gives you a 10% win chance in auto-resolve.
    And now for the most disturbing part for me RPG. I don't know why but someone in Larian have some big issues with gays. Because i was dealing with their problems more that with anything else. Yes, i was literally like that: "Good day, Commander! Elves wants to allow gay marriages. While undead guys throwing tantrums about it. Also your gay general wants to tell you her opinion about it. Ah, and i almost forgot: go and kill all you sibling because they are mentally challenged and just evil. Have i nice day, Commander!". And you sitting like that with your jaw on the floor, listening to all that crap about gay marriages and not a single word about wtf happened with your once happy family and why you have to kill em. Ok, so the next day comes and here we are: "Good day, Commander! Undead discovered that one of their famous sculptress was a gay and now destroying all her works in religious zeal. Lizards wants to save all that because they don't give a damn about gays, just want fine arts. And your gay general wants to tell you that she is a gay. Oh, btw, did you know that power core of your main ship is actually a big angry daemon?" Ok, while you search for your jaw under your sit again, trying to comprehend the idea of skeletons (that your undead race) having any love relations (for god's sake, leave undeads alone!). While all your life you thought that all they can care about are brains and blood (for that pesky vampires, since they are undead too) at best. And so on. Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of all this political decisions like building roads, health care program and etc. But when game talking about gays, gays marriage, gay generals, gay artists a way more than about you as a Dragon Knight, your family and wtf happened, why there is a war and so on i find this very disturbing. Good thing this is fantasy and then you get completely annoyed you can send all this gays in a general direction of stakes, fires and zealous undead mobs.
    The other thing left me puzzled is "why lizard females have boobs?" Especially the ones princess Camilla have. They are not mammals so there are no reason for lizards to have em (and they actually talking about it in "elves showing boobs" case). Boobs for boobs sake? Sex sells? I think that was a point and this deserves another minus to my final score.
    So overall i find this game mediocre. While i find interesting trying other princess's routes just one thought about all that boring combats i'll have to suffer makes me click on "uninstall". My score is 5 10.
  36. Oct 28, 2013
    Dammit, I wanted to like this game so much more, and I wanted to give it a higher rating, but this is as good as it deserves.

First of, this game has balls. It tries to take so many different genres on: a card-based game, real-time strategy, first person shooter, a Risk-map game. It initially appears to do all of these things good but then the cracks start showing. The platform

The platform for all of these different elements within this game are there; they're solid at first but, then they never seem to fully materialize. Examples:

1. You will never, ever use the Dragon mode, where you morph into a dragon and enter a first-person shooter, during the mini-skirmish real-time strategy moments on the game. It wastes time, money, much needed attention, and the dragon dies almost instantly. A cool idea; however, completely useless. The dragon mode should have been used as a global command, i.e., reign down fire on units, and it would have been just a cool and way more effective.

2. Mini-skirmish games involving the real-time strat moments are just that. Min-skirmishes which recycle the same three maps and same 6 or 7 units over and over in a capture the flag style match. The AI is horrible, even on the hardest setting, and even on a 0% chance to win prediction you easy win as you let the rush your base turrets and then zerg-counter with the cheapest units.

3. The Risk-map portion of the game is lackluster. The AI will suicide bomb you ever chance it gets, only to die repeatedly, making itself weaker and easier to beat.

4. The card portion of the game is fun and interesting as far as turning the tide of battle; however, only a handful of card are actually useful and greatly overpowered.

5. The political portion of the game, such as dealing with the generals wants and needs and/or dealing with different faction leaders is pretty much yes or no. The problems dealt with in the game range from genocide to gay marriage, including a part where one of your generals actually declares themselves, in private to you, as being gay. I can say that I was never bored when listening to these problems and it was a breath of fresh air to see a game handling these issues, but man, your responses to them are watered-down and the outcomes are glossed over.

These are certainly only a few of the games problems, but with that said, I can say the music and voice-acting is top-quality, the graphics are usually pretty good, the humor is hysterical, the story is generic on purpose and makes fun of itself in the process.

I really hope that this game is just a first in the series, and that the devs are able to tighten up gameplay on the second round. But as it stands now, this game deserves to have the public take a look at it, if only for possibility of what it could have been.

I myself beat the game in about 8 hours on the hardest settings, and while I smile the entire time, I gave a sigh when the game was finished, knowing that I'd never go back and play it again. I want to, but not until these problems are addressed.
  37. Aug 24, 2013
    It is odd to see the likes of this game emerge in modern gaming, it is odd and welcome. In these times of modern military/shooter, fantasy/RPG, and other safe bets, to see a game that challenges it and goes straight for a strategy title that focuses on decision making is a welcome change of pace.

However, one can't simply deny that it's great weakness stops ducking under cover once all the talking is done, and it is time to face the strategy portions of the game. These ones lack any excitement and depth, and honestly, are quite boring at times. I found myself just building a bulk of an army and steamrolling all opposition with one of my generals instead of commanding the troops myself. Albeit, being a dragon and burning everything to ashes is interesting, the novelty wears quickly off.

The game shines when it comes to the wife and council managing, however. As the emperor, you have to decide in issues and regulations that are en-par with current ones, shaping your empire as you would shape the Federal government. It's a pity to see, nonetheless, that decisions the player character makes do not impact the gameplay in a more substantial manner; you get some flavor text detailing how much of a jerk or a saint you are when deciding on a pressing issue, a headline on the local paper, and some changes in your income or morale.

All in all, this game is good, it just needs more polish when it comes to the thick of it's real time strategy sections, and a little bit more impact in the decision making. When I started playing I expected so much more, and it fell a bit short, still, it is refreshing to see these kind of more sophisticated games getting green-lighted. I would definitely give it a chance once the price drops.
  38. Sep 7, 2013
    this game is very nice in between the battles if you ignore the cheesy humor every now and then. the main part however the RTS part is its weakest point. checkpoint rushes is kind of the tactic that worked for me all the time.

from the concept it reminds me on the latest Blizzard RTS title with its story choices between battles. but SC has much better RTS parts. on the other hand it was similar to Rise of Legends with the larger strategic map and the tactical battles, sometimes skirmish, sometimes fixed.

but both these games do a much better job on the RTS part. however being immersed by "being" the dragon is something the other games do not offer. it does not quite distract from the poor strategy though.

my result a VERY ambitious attempt that falls short where it counts.
  39. Oct 26, 2014
    The game really looks nice, but when u get to the level where the RTS side start its like a frigging RTS from the 80s, barely manageable, worst UI ever --> just plain bad. After hitting the RTS side, I uninstalled, damn what a bed RTS ...

It's really a petty cos i really liked the story telling ... :/
  40. Aug 23, 2013
    I like to think of game genres and their differences as cookbook recipes. You could consider a RPG to be the more Gourmet side of cuisine. Whereas a Common FPS could be considered the fast food with little creativity. Now, in the world of cooking; you have fusion. Fusion is the idea of taking two different types of cuisines and "fusing" them together into a new hybridized style.

So,

So, thinking about the food world; lets look at it in parallel with the game world!

Larian decided to, instead of following a common cookbook recipe; to make their own home made creation. With previous knowledge they gained from previous Divinity games they produced, plus the industry standards: They have quickly mixed together a new genre hybrid that actually isn't a botched meal.

Divinity: Dragon Commander is the latest "Fusion" recipe, incorporating RPG elements with Turn-based Grand Strategy as well as Real Time Strategy. Above all of this, they even garnished the game with Third person control of a Dragon! You, the protagonist; get to play as this dragon in the campaign as well as online.

Instead of Larian following the cookie cutter fashion that seems to have hoarded a majority of gamers; they bent away with risk to create something, and did so very well done and executed. The artistic blend with the storyline and gameplay are just fantastic.

Gameplay: 10/10 (Seamless integration of RTS, Grand Strategy, and RPG.)

Story: 9/10 (Enriched with plenty of dialogue, has a backbone of reason for the events that have lead up to the game as well. Story progresses based off some player decisions as well as worldly events.)

Art: 10/10 (Rivellon has jumped from a medieval/renaissance fantasy into a steampunk fantasy. The game amplifies a heavily-industrialized and diverse culture between the distinct races and of course: Steam power. Very creative!)

Music: 10/10 (The romantic-era piano music merged with fantasy music as well as some more modern approaches to sound; have really blended into what this game really is about.)

Graphics: 10/10 (How Larian managed to make the gameplay and story amazing, while making the game also look very good? It is beyond my understanding. Perhaps this is proof that not all games trade off between looks and heart?)

Conclusion: I love this game.
  41. euu
    Oct 20, 2013
    Dragon Commander was quite a nice surprise. It's great to see a game taking such risks in an industry as homogeneous as the video game one. This game combines elements of RTS, RPG, TBS and Arcade Shooter; none of which exceptional on their own, but when put together they form something special. By far the best part is the board of your capital ship,the Raven. This is what Blizzard tried toDragon Commander was quite a nice surprise. It's great to see a game taking such risks in an industry as homogeneous as the video game one. This game combines elements of RTS, RPG, TBS and Arcade Shooter; none of which exceptional on their own, but when put together they form something special. By far the best part is the board of your capital ship,the Raven. This is what Blizzard tried to do with the Hyperyon in Starcraft 2 and failed miserably at. In Dragon Commander you can interact with people that feel like real characters and not sentient cliches; you can take political and military decisions that can affect your empire as well as research new technologies and dragon powers. The writing, while not breaking any grounds in originality, is still clever and is reinforced by superb voice acting. Another part of the game is the strategy Map. This is similar to games like Battle for Middle Earth or Rise of Nations where you move troops on the Map, build structures in each province and play cards. Unfortunately the part that was supposed to be the meat of the game, the RTS element, is the one most lacking. It's not terrible but it feels too MOBA-ish and the fact that the graphics look like that of games released a decade ago doesn't help. The only element that spices things up is the fact that you can become a dragon and enter the battle directly; this is when the game turns in a fun arcade shooter. It's best not to ignore the dragon upgrades and abilities as the dragon can turn the tide of any battle. All in all, Dragon Commander is one of the most innovating and original games to come in a long time. It has plenty of flaws, but it's a breath of fresh air in an industry full of GTA and Call of Halo clones. Expand
  42. Oct 29, 2014
    So much potetianl left untapped!

So much potetianl left untapped!

Dragon Commander is an hybrid of RTS, card and board games of ambiutious proportions but lacking quality. On paper, the promised experience is astounding: you, the player, as a jetpacked dragon must rally an army to take the throne that's rightfully yours, in a steampunk-ish fantasy world, all the while managing your generals and counselors, all with their agenda and personality. The battles are fought in real time, the general army and empire management on a map a-la Total War, and the politics are handled in first person on your castleship. Sounds awesome, right? On paper, at least.

Gameplay wise, the game's a mess! The RTS battles reward an aggressive tactic above all else, thus encouraging zerg rushes and win by starvation. There is no incentive in playing defensively, and whoever estabilishes a forward base first, wins. There is no reason in building a varied army but the two basic infantry units (Anti-infantry and anti-air), so most of the units are never used.
    On the Total War map, everything gets resolved in a blitzkrieg: ammass a moderate army, smash the first line of defense, and rapidly occupy all the territories but the capital. Don't worry about resistance: there isn't any. Sometimes, if the CPU is in good mood, enemies will send one or two troops at you. Specifically, at your TWENTY-SOMETHING army, with a 0% -ZERO- chances of victory (btw, that is not said by me. The game says it. On the battle screen.). What's the point?

Luckily battles can be auto-resolved. But why am I playing if the computer plays itself?

Even the politics have a good start. You're posed with great questions. Allowing gay marriages or not? Do you allow females in your army or not? Do you allow cigarettes or not? You're posed with great questions, that would make anyone think. But fear not, dear player, because this important questions are resolved with the stupidest system yet: a binary morality system!! BINARY! Either you're good or bad, no middle ground, no ethics, no nothing!

But even if the politics system weren't so flawed, it would still be useless. Your counsellors decide by majority if you decide not to act. And, if you choose to act, you still have to abide to the majority, to not cause discontempt among the population. So why am I posed these problems if they resolve themselves? Am I even needed in this game?

You have to get a bride in the game too, and that's a little interesting, but always dealed with a binary morality choice. So you don't have to choose.

There's even the possibility to make a pact with a demon to make you and your armies stronger, but that's a lot of wasted effort for such an easy game.

This game was a 5 for me, but after reading all I wrote, this becomes a 3. There are just too many dumb choices for a game that required more serousness by developers and players alike.
  43. Dec 18, 2013
    It's a basically ill-conceived, badly implemented game in a shiny package. Starting with the positive, the (spoof) high-fantasy setting, voice acting, and artwork are extremely good by any standards and manage to stand out in an extremely crowded market for this sort of stuff. In particular, the Undead as a civilian race along with skeletal council-representative are splendid. TheIt's a basically ill-conceived, badly implemented game in a shiny package. Starting with the positive, the (spoof) high-fantasy setting, voice acting, and artwork are extremely good by any standards and manage to stand out in an extremely crowded market for this sort of stuff. In particular, the Undead as a civilian race along with skeletal council-representative are splendid. The political decision-making is "lite" but entertaining e.g. you can support or veto an Elfish motion to make all the war-machines out of renewable materials, with predictable and meaningful effects on production costs and public opinion (which influences the economy and also battles).

After making a great start with things that fantasy strategy games get wrong more often than not, they somehow botched almost everything else in the game, starting with the game. It's a "lite" RTS bolted unceremoniously onto a "lite" strategy boardgame, and in the RTS you can basically cheat by destroying all enemy units with an infinitely fast, indestructable, regenerating dragon.

The strategy boardgame has at least two flaws I'd consider fatal: firstly the units' relative importance here doesn't carry over into the RTS. A basic "Trooper" might take the full production resources of a country for a turn to produce at the strategic level, or about 10 seconds at the RTS level. However at the RTS level they are worthless cannon fodder, but at the strategic level when combats are auto-resolved they get a "fair" chance of destroying enemy units. The second fatal flaw is that the resources carry over between maps so once you complete one map, you can start the next with an unstoppable army.

The problems with the RTS are more subtle and could be solved in different ways. Personally, I would:-
    remove the fixed population cap, nerf the perfectly accurate anti-aircraft defences, make the dragon constantly consume resources, slow down the units or make the maps bigger, make the units carried in from the strategic level irreplaceable and more powerful than the RTS-level equivalents, and replace the whole "control point" system with something less clunky.

It's virtually impossible to lose, unit special abilities can't be used quickly enough, the computer can churn out units (by clicking!) so quickly and so soon that the dragon is needed to mop them up, (at which point you just win), but if you get hold of 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 recruitment "control points", the producing units impossibly quickly advantage goes from the computer to you pretty quickly.

It's just a mess, and it feels like it resulted from a complete lack of thought followed by a policy of obstinately ignoring playtesters who would have picked up on these problems. The dragon could have been introduced into a bog-standard C&C clone and worked better without all the stuff they did to the RTS formula to try and balance the dragon.

Three more problems: using the dragon makes strategic unit production and delivering commands temporarily impossible; the dragon cannot even be summoned in sea battles (due to there being no "recruitment centres"); and there is no option to auto-resolve with dragon.

If you could auto-resolve with dragon so as to completely ditch the RTS segment, and had an option to dump unwanted gold, it would be possible to have a passable boardgame a bit like Risk without the strategic depth.
  44. Oct 11, 2013
    Dragon Commander is a very shallow game lacking any level of depth what so ever. The videos you see showing its features are literally all there is, do not look deeper than the surface, do not expect strategy of any kind other than an expert zerg rush from the AI. Nor should you expect an AI to run out of recruits as a human does, you may start with 3000, and it may start with 350, but itDragon Commander is a very shallow game lacking any level of depth what so ever. The videos you see showing its features are literally all there is, do not look deeper than the surface, do not expect strategy of any kind other than an expert zerg rush from the AI. Nor should you expect an AI to run out of recruits as a human does, you may start with 3000, and it may start with 350, but it will build men endlessly and will always still have 350 recruits left, where as your 3000 will slowly drop until you run out of men.

I have a pet hate of games that use cheating AIs, it is just an excuse not to make a properly AI. As a modder I often make AIs for games like this just to prove a cheating AI was not necessary. I could write one for this game but its just not good enough to bother with.

If your an RPG fan, give this a miss, if your a strategy fan, give this a miss, if your zerg rush fan... your going to love this game. Sadly nobody else will.
  45. Oct 15, 2013
    Short game that's almost good. It's not very difficult and you can burn through it in half a day.

It has a bit of an interesting twist on the RTS genre, but the lack of difficulty and the awful graphics really drag it down. It's worth trying out if you get it on sale or something, but I wouldn't rush to buy it.
  46. Sep 1, 2013
    Does so many things at once; an absurd amount of things, really. With how ridiculously ambitious it is, it pulls it off surprisingly well. The game is so suffused with excitement and fun, you get the impression the dev team was having a blast the entire time they were making it.
  47. Sep 17, 2013
    A combination of aerial combat, role playing game, real time strategy in a fantasy steampunk setting sounds odd, but somehow manages to amalgamate into a fun game.
  48. Sep 30, 2013
    This game is fantastic. I love the take on modern politics as a game mechanic. Of course there are obvious mechanic based choices that can be made, but what fun is in that? Best to fallow your own political beliefs and see how the dice fall. Ended up hurting my gold income with socialism, but it balanced out due to my conquests. The strategy map functions well, though finding the unit IThis game is fantastic. I love the take on modern politics as a game mechanic. Of course there are obvious mechanic based choices that can be made, but what fun is in that? Best to fallow your own political beliefs and see how the dice fall. Ended up hurting my gold income with socialism, but it balanced out due to my conquests. The strategy map functions well, though finding the unit I wanted and moving it can be problematic. The story though good could be executed with more emotion and the voice acting falls flat. Once in the RTS portion I found myself engaged on a level more than sufficient. The second I turned into a dragon though, Immersion was achieved. Torching enemy units was enjoyable at worst and ecstatic at best. Though lacking a bit in terms of aesthetic appeal for units and voice acting, the gameplay tells a story of I am the dragon and I win because I am a boss. Eat the toxic rockets of my grenadier hordes! Mwahahahaha! Best strategy game I have ever played that wasn't tabletop. Expand
  49. Oct 17, 2013
    Politics and games don't mix. The game has a great concept, I was quite happy and excited to play this at first. Then I was presented with a number of politically charged decisions that I apparently "got wrong." I'm now 10+ hours into the game and on the final level and no matter what I do I cannot gain a positive income and it's impossible to play the game further. I'm a completionistPolitics and games don't mix. The game has a great concept, I was quite happy and excited to play this at first. Then I was presented with a number of politically charged decisions that I apparently "got wrong." I'm now 10+ hours into the game and on the final level and no matter what I do I cannot gain a positive income and it's impossible to play the game further. I'm a completionist and I almost never leave a game behind unfinished but Dragon Commander will have to be an exception for me since I was too busy trying to create armies, wage war, command battles from the back of a dragon, etc. when I instead should have been trying to predict the minds of the developers and decide how best to agree with their own political views. Expand
  50. Feb 2, 2014
    Flat out horrible!

Another case of lets make a game by pretty artwork and flash then hey lets add some game play to it. There is little sense of direction from the start. And then concept of "gradient" apparently doesn't exist anywhere in the designer(s) mind. If you get so far as to actually play on the map before uninstalling from the confusion, the AI is apparently some sort
    Flat out horrible!

There is little sense of direction from the start.

If you get so far as to actually play on the map before uninstalling from the confusion, the AI is apparently some sort of flock/swarm thing that feel more like your fighting a flock of "T-1000" robots rather then any kind of thing natural or humanoid.

What happened to game design? What happened to awareness?
    What happened to keeping the players perspective in mind?

Hey designers/developers when you think of some cool concept (or just a name?) for a game please think it through first.
    Yes the public loves flashy graphics and all pretty things, but please just hash the game out first with even stick figure graphics, and beeps and bops for sounds, etc. Make sure you got some solid working concept in game play, fun AI, etc.
    Take this little test bed and see if you can make something fun and working first.
    And THEN add the graphics, etc., that should be more the "icing on the cake". Else there is no substance and it's not something your players will want to play.
  51. Oct 26, 2014
    main problems:
    RTS is.. meh. alright. I could rarely beat the AI directly because of all the micromanagement with the different game changing abilities (charm!!!) but then it was dumb enough to allow defensive tactics to grind his resources down.
    main problems:
    Worst of all though... the dragon just feels useless. and annoying. it would be cool to be supporting the troops, but since they're much more effective when micromanaged, then it becomes irrelevant. And I was always being charged by 100s of troops. If they had any anti air capabilities, dragon is dead in seconds. Hurray.

About the strategy in itself.. well, forcing yourself to pick a battle to NOT auto-resolve is not particularly fun. Why would you force players to be more effective in one front?
    Paying for generals just felt silly, especially in the end. (yay, one auto resolve per turn where you get more luck).
    The cards were interesting but.. felt unbalanced.
    So another meh.

The RPG component was cool. The characters and the story are entertaining, shame it doesn't affect much of the actual game (if one faction really hates you, get less support in some regions.. ). but it's always cool to mix up a bunch of politics with a weird set of races.
  52. Apr 13, 2014
    This game a perfect example of how Kickstarter and Early Access is letting video game developer's get away with stooping to increasingly depressing lows.

"Dragon Commander" is an unfinished game that came out of Early Access status not because it was ready, but because Larian had another title that finished its Kickstarter funding so they wanted to get to work on that (Original Sin). What we're left with is an unfinished game with a lot of potential (Dragon Commander) that asks $40 when it's left in a late-alpha state, and another game (Original Sin) that people are currently giving the developer's money to work on when it's in the exact same condition, and when Larian has been allowed to get away with cashing in on one unfinished product, what's to prevent them from doing it again? Especially when there are players that seem all too content to give developers money to work part-time hours on games with no incentive to bring them to true gold status because hey, they're already making bank off unfinished work!

Gets a 1/10 anyway because the soundtrack is amazing.

1. Sep 25, 2013
    Inventive, funny and a whole lot of fun. An excellent way to break up the over-serious grind of most strategy titles. [Oct 2013, p.82]
    Complicated, difficult, different. A true strategy game for the gamers with classical tastes, who have time and will. It's also a pleasant blast from the past, when a genre template was not an option. [Issue#233]
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    A weird but interesting hybrid that mixes RTS, RPG, board game and trading card game mechanics in one delightful experience. Unfortunately, even if the mix works, the singular gameplay components aren’t deep enough and the game itself is mined by many minor issues.