8.2

1. Mar 9, 2011
    I have tried the Ego Draconis demo (twice), but despite having liked the original Divine Divinity, it failed to impress me. After hearing good things about the DKS, I tried it one more time, and it clicked. It takes a while to get used to the slightly over-the-top fantasy world and the game's special sense of humour; moreover, the combat system in the starting areas appears deceptively simple. It definitely pays not to give up early, as the game only gets better as it progresses (the "Flames of Vengeance" part is especially great). Overall, a very fun game and the best action RPG I have played in ages. It's got good quests, excellent exploration, surprisingly good writing and voice acting, and interesting mechanics (mindreading). I recommend playing on "nightmare" (which is nowhere as difficult as the name would suggest), otherwise the game might become too easy relatively soon. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2010
    The art direction and writing in this game really shine, especially in the expansion that comes bundled with it. While the combat can be hectic, the wide variety of skills leaves open plenty of options to make your character the way you want them. It lacks some of the polish of big-budget RPGs, but is packed with things to do in every nook and cranny. Unlike games which seem almost embarrassed to be fantasy games, as if they feel they have to make up for being fantastical with a serious mood, DKS just takes fantasy and runs with it. It's packed full of dry humor and subtle references, and I would recommend it to just about anyone looking for a action-RPG that doesn't hold their hand. Expand
  3. May 27, 2011
    I found this game on steam during the Christmas sale and thought the content seemed interesting, though I was fairly sure that a game with as cool a premise as being a dragon that I had never even heard of would be little more than fodder. Still it was £14.99 and I was flush with cash, so I went for it..

Its not something I regret, most often in RPGs you will be given a
    gimmick, that while it sounds cool has little practical effect beyond a few abilities. Such as being a Demigod in a popular Black Isle MMO, this never really threaded into the gameplay, but sure it was the whole reason behind the plot.

In DKS it is regrettably similar, you won't just be chomping people as an enormous flying lizard, or at all for the most part, it is similar to a flying mount. But it is very cool, and really makes you feel powerful when you do use it.

The plot itself is quite intresting, to a degree. It feels quite Dragon Agey to some degree at first, you are a Slayer looking to put an end to a Dragon, but that goes awry rather quickly and the real plot is revealed. There is alot of fine humor in the game, and the single thing that stands out is that it is not a party based game, where PC is guarded and supported by companions and only represents a small portion of the fighting power, yet takes full credit. You will be doing the fighting with your own hands or spells, and barring the slightly bumpy start really get the feeling you are an ancient, godlike being. Able to toast people, cast spells, shoot arrows, stab, read minds and whatever else you fancy.

Its hard to credit the game with being non linear, what it can be credited with is being really, really good, and i'd heartily recommend it. Especially when it languishes in the shadow of the comparatively poorer Dragon Age II. This is how action RPG should be done, in this game you can and must dodge attacks using your characters great agility, rather than have your feet glued to the ground.

Amazing game, I enjoyed it far far more than I expected.

Another bonus I am really anal about is that you have some character customization options, such as gender, voice and hair, which can really break an RPG for me. I like a bit of, or a lot of choice.

Being able to choose deliciously evil or snarky dialogue in nearly every conversation was something I liked, and I got to pick my own words. Not 'click here to reveal'.
  4. Dec 6, 2010
    I fancied this game a while back (Ego Draconis), but heard some poor reviews so I never played it. Having picked this up, I can only assume that the issues were fixed, as this is a thoroughly enjoyable game 25 hours in, and I have yet to play the expansion element, which I have heard is even better. The game is absolutely pack with things to do - I loved Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but the areas were so dauntingly large, with vast areas of nothing to do.. This has more of a Fable sense of scale, but with actually interesting quests with a more sophisticated and mature (not too mature) sense of humour.

As for criticisms, whilst the graphics are mostly very attractive and the art direction is of a high quality, there are some texture drop-in issues. The character facial models you can choose from are a truly special kind of ugly, which is odd as the NPCs are often more attractive. Fortunately the in game armor is attractive, so you can cover your ugly mug with something impressive looking within a few hours. There is a slightly odd control issue - you map items to buttons by holding the button down for an extended amount of time - this is easy to do in the heat of combat. No gamebreaker though, it only happens occasionally.

In summary, great graphics, great voice work, interesting quests, and a ton of interesting game mechanics (not gone into for the sake of avoiding spoilers, though the in game tips do give a lot away before you experience it) - its a little rough around the edges, but having just finished the big budget, high hype Fable 3, and I have enjoyed this a great deal more!
  5. Mar 5, 2011
    Having played so many RPG games by so many developers that depended almost solely on graphic design rather than the story, I was prepared to be faced with another boring and repetitive game when I bought Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. I was pleasantly surprised when I've learned that this game was not one of them. I was so pulled in by the story that many times I've lost the track of time. When Divinity 2: DKS was released, I was overjoyed and again without any track of time. Without any doubt I can say that the developers of Divinity 2 just reached perfection with their game. Improved graphics and a brilliant story, what more could a gamer ask for? Indeed, the game still has it's flaws but those are far outweighed by the features. I believe that many RPG developers have much to learn from this game. Expand
  6. Jul 22, 2011
    I was undedcided whether to give this an 8 or a 9 but then I saw how many hours I'd spent on it so a 9 it is.Value for money is king and this game gives it to you in bucketfuls. The North American market seems to be churning out highly polished games with trite gameplay at present (in this genre), whereas this game is quite the reverse and better for it. Sure, it has several minor faults but had it not had these it would be close to a 10. I won't go into details - if you are thinking about buying this then do so, give it a chance, and you won't be disappointed. It is very engrossing, original and entertaining. Expand
  7. May 7, 2011
    D2: DKS is probably the best RPG you've never heard about. It's criminally under-appreciated, especially given the hype that inferior games like Dragon Age 2 receive. Actual combat plays like an action game - fluid, fast, and intuitive. But preparing for battle (i.e., character building, equipment management, enchantments, charms, potions, allies) can be as intricate and hardcore-ish as you choose to make it. Couple this with a wide-open world, non-linear quests, great writing, tough but fair puzzles, excellent sound. interesting story and lore. Maybe I was so impressed with this game because I started it with no expectations, but any Western RPG fan should play this game before the AAA titles get released later this year. Expand
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    Take the linear play of Fable and openness of Two Worlds, and you have got Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. The graphics are great and on par with Two Worlds II and the atmosphere and music are perfection. I find myself smiling a lot while playing this game, whether it is the ability to read minds or simply trying to find everything on the maps. The player is encouraged to explore, while not getting utterly lost in the direction similar in games like Dragon Age or Oblivion. While the geamplay is linear, your options at the end of each quest is not. You have choices and either choice rewards you with experience; good, bad, or neutral. I've had a blast with this game and the cinematics are incredible at times. I would definitely say it was worth the $40 I paid for it. Games I like that are similar to this are Two Worlds, Fable, and Dark Messiah Might and Magic, although this game clearly surpasses each of these. The only reason it does not get a 10 is that I do not believe anygame could acheive this rating of perfection. So, 9 is the highest I would give anything. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    Divinity 2 surprised me how good it was, it starts off like a lot of typical Western RPG's but it suddenly gets epic, it actually takes you by surprise. Divinity 2 is real time action orientated though the RPG elements are fantastic. Highly recommended. The pop culture references and humour in this game also add to its charm.

Fantastic characters and voice acting.
    Enemies do not level up
    with you unlike oblivion which I love.
    Tons of hidden stuff.
    Great humour and pop culture references.
    No hand holding.
    Difficult choices are required to be made.
  10. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Knight Saga is a great action RPG that will keep you entertained for many hours. The attention to detail in the environment which rewards exploration on a large and small scale is great. The controls sometimes feel a little loose and floaty but I wouldn't change them at all since they add a great fun feeling to the game. The jumping animation is so much fun that you will be jumping everywhere with a silly grin on your face. The RPG system and combat are also a pleasure, encouraging you to master a handful of skills across classes making sure that the gameplay flows in a nice way while giving you interesting options for character building. Expand
  11. Oct 23, 2011
    What the major gaming companies now consider to be desiderata in fantasy games is slowly but surely driving me away from them. Hence I thought I'd give this a try and I'm very glad I did. It's a bit of a rough diamond but I can live with that since it is eminently playable. Interesting story, highly customisable characters, decent replayabilty and the 'special' ability is implemented very well. It looks great too and doesn't hold your hand either. I was leaning towards an 8 but I'll give it 9 because, as already noted by other reviewers, it is not only different but unique and I'm disillusioned with the mass produced drivel that is currently being churned out. Try it and watch out for this developer in the future. Expand
  12. Jul 28, 2011
    When Steam recently had their summer sale, I took a chance on this title after reading the reviews here, particularly those who said to pick it instead of DA2. Very wise decision -- this game far exceeded my expectations. In a sentence, I'd say the gameplay is roughly similar to Fallout3/NV set in a medieval fantasy world, which isn't surprising given they share the Gamebryo engine. What is surprising is that the game is remarkably well-textured, well-scripted, well-voiced and overall well-executed and never crashed one single time throughout 40+ hours of gameplay. (So, FO:NV, you have no excuse why you can't run longer than 30 minutes at a time without barfing)

The game is a somewhat slow boil to get fully going, but that actually made me enjoy it quite a bit more. DKS2 builds anticipation in the player to get to the next set of milestones, and it's handled in a natural manner. It takes ~15-20 hours of gameplay to earn your wings, so to speak, while feeling that you're really working for it instead of just going through the motions or filler quests. Some of the side quests are somewhat filler, but they weren't much different (good or bad) from similar games. The core main quests were pretty awesome from beginning to end, and always advanced the plot accordingly. It truly feels like you are pursuing a destiny and not just point-click-shoot. It's immersive enough that I could lose hours of time, and that hasn't happened for a long time. The boss battles were mostly hard for my archer, including 2 battles where I died 15+ times -- to finally beat the boss reminded me of days back on the NES when you had tears of joy for finally beating a hard part. The game does get easier about 2/3 through, where you're not exactly invincible but not in mortal danger either.

As a huge FO3/FO:NV fan, I compare the open world and texturing to it, and find DKS superior enough that I didn't believe they were on the same engine until I looked it up. DKS is a mostly open world as well (you do move between major portions of the world as the story advances) and plays out superbly in 3-dimensions with the addition of flight. My only minor gripe is on the NPC animations when they are talking. They all talk with their arms flailing and strange head rolls/tilts. It's just a bit disconcerting and silly at times.

The dialogue was also well-written and voice actors did a good job overall as well. There were humorous dialog choices, including some that will reference decisions and characters from 20-30 gameplay hours ago. It was a pleasant, unexpected touch.

The Flames of Vengeance expansion add-on wasn't as epic, but I suppose that's to be expected for an add-on. It was longer than a lot of DLC, adding on a solid 15 hours (doing all side quests), but the map and scope were more limited and it felt more repetitive. Also, in the FoV add-on, you get showered with top-of-the-line equipment and upgrades non-stop. Want a skill point? Here, take 3! It greatly reduced the challenge of the add-on. Independently, I'd only give FoV a 7 or 8, but they did a nice job tying it in with the main plot line instead of just being a random "now, let's do something crazy different" like most add-ons/DLC out there. I would probably score this game a highly respectable 9, but I give it a 10 just because it's so much better than most well-publicized games out there that I want to make sure it gets some love.
  13. Apr 25, 2011
    I have just recently picked up this game, looking for an old-style Western RPG. I was not disappointed with what I found. While, on occasion, the graphics bug up, they're overall quite excellent. The open-world, the gigantic sandbox they let you run around in, is just beautiful. The NPCs really make this game shine, though, the range of interaction and degree of characterization help immensely to connect and care for them. Which means when they die (As they do on occasion), it comes as quite a blow. I cannot, however, reccomend this game enough. Expand
  14. Mar 17, 2011
    I really liked this game! The start is really slow and clunky and I almost tossed it but the more I stayed with it, the more the story line and combat became more interesting. I was really surprised how enjoyable it was.
  15. Apr 17, 2011
    Crashes out now and then, but that can easily be remedied by saving. I usually took a crash as an indication I had been playing too long! I would rank this right up there with Dragon Age. The skill tree isn't as complex, but there are lots of cool things like building creatures and stuff to make up for it. Also, the combat is more engaging and I like how it's just you and not a big party that you have to manage. I would say this game definitely rises above Oblivion in all regards. Expand
  16. Jul 8, 2011
    Excellent game. I tried Divinity 2 Ego Draconis and had issues with framerates and bugs that after the first town, I called it quits. It was a game I wanted to love, but couldn't get past the issues. Hearing that DKS contained not only the expansion but a remake of ED, I gave it another shot and I am damn glad I did! All my issues previously were fixed, and the game was awesome! I devoted almost 80 hours into both the Ego Dragonis remix and Flames of Vengance add-on and it was a few weeks well spent! My only issue was gear replacements should have been spread out more. I went 10-15 levels before replacing my armor because nothing really was worth it...and then suddenly I had to choose between 3 sets...would have been nicer to space them out and get upgrades here and there, but that did not detract from the game. Well worth it particularly if you can find it on sale like I did on Steam for 50% off... Expand
  17. Mar 23, 2012
    This is a very good game indeed and it deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Can't say I'd heard much about it before I played it. Great fun from beginning to end and a lot of the game flies in the face of the modern paradigm of RPGs which is more than fine by me. For example, enemies are tougher by geographical area so they can be as challenging as you want them to be. Also, some quests are hard to find and the game has quirky humour and some obscure references (Pink Floyd anyone?). Again, all very welcome in my eyes. The second half of the game could easily have been a let down but certainly wasn't and you can customise your abilities in many ways. Very passable storyline, some memorable characters (together with personalities), good gear, a variety of enemies, solid combat, great landscapes, this game has an awful lot going for it. Here's to the next one, which, with a bit of effort could score even higher from me. I notice that this game currently has a higher average than Skyrim which restores my faith in the gaming community in general. I'm off to see how I get on as a mage. Have fun with this - I'm sure you will. Expand
  18. Mar 27, 2012
    I find this game, in a recent sale in game £9,99 and to be honest i didn't expect it to be any good but for that price i thought i'd give it ago. I was very happily surprised fun fast combat nice voice acting and interesting story, allot of content so many side quests. i would highly recommend this game to anyone who likes role-playing games.
  19. Jan 31, 2012
    Excellent graphics and hundred of hours game play with lot of quests. Environments are stunning to look around while playing. It's hard to beat at great price!
  20. Feb 17, 2014
    I put off playing this game for years. I read a mix of hate for how hard the game is and after finishing up most my other rpg games I sank into Divinity 2. I played it for a weekend and was having so much fun I picked up the Dev edition off steam to get the expansion and fixes. I will sell my vanilla version on ebay now .
    The review is based after about 20 hours of game play. I still
    have plenty to see but the game runs smoothly on my older rig. I have the visuals about maxed and the game looks really very good compared to the choppy and less detailed view of the vanilla version. The gameplay is fun, deep and more action oriented instead of stat oriented. You have a character to build in anyway you want and can mix and match skills to have a warrior/mage etc. The game is challenging but in no way a Dark Souls challenge. You just have to play smart and the story is there to keep you interested. All in all if you love rpgs this is one to pick up. Expand
  21. Jan 13, 2012
    The game at first seems confusing,but as you go along,it deepens you into the story,then at some points it confuses you again,then frustrates you,then it deepens you again and again in the story,what i mean to say is that despite all the bugs and flaws,it is a very good RPG,especially for the lovers of the game genre,graphics are quite good,sound sometimes get's to your nerves,gameplay is good but not the best,some control lags especially on inventory shortcuts but despite all that,the story is very good,i give it a solid 9 Expand
  22. Feb 2, 2014
    I Love this game!!, and people who say they dont are the reason the creators started making easy games that are very brainless no side stuff that you as a gamer has to think about. i was one of the first people to play the game when it still had bugs still even with the bugs i was jest happy to play a game i enjoyed if u dont like the game dont ruin it for other people. Most people that dont like the game where all people that only played for a couple of hours didnt even get to the challenging parts and never became the dragon but me as a normal gamer who loves rpgs i would say its a good game that everyone who likes rpgs should try its a great game Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    A gem of an RPG! Deep RPG elements, great combat system, atmospheric environments and Dragons! Fell in love right from the very first moment. Larian makes great RPGs indeed! The camera was really intelligent as well, going from 3rd person to top down depending on the situation and it makes that decision well. Lost 1 point from not having hero voice over though, thats my gripe with Kingdoms of Amalur as well. Kingdoms of Amalur is one game that plays like this one but this has much deeper RPG elements. Expand
  24. May 19, 2014
    The one thing to get into your head if you're considering picking this game up is this: Divinity II: DKS is not the perfect RPG, as far as Western RPG's go. It has a few flaws that stand out and may put people off the game completely. However, the flaws are largely superficial, and hold no REAL bearing on how the game stand on it's own two feet.

The main problems I have encountered have
    been graphical bugs here and there (a clipping texture or framerate dropping), and the combat system (a little lackluster). But the graphical bugs you learn to accept, and the combat, for all it's simplicity, did grow on me. I found myself fighting groups of goblins in a pack, with mages throwing fireballs at my face quite exhilarating after a little while.

Aside from those main points, the game really does hold out well. Like I said at the very beginning, don't go into this expecting Skyrim. Go into it thinking Morrowind. Or Oblivion. Everyone had fun with those right? But the bugs were there and they were glaring at times. But in the end, it didn't detract from the game as a whole. Divinity II has the same feel for me. A large expansive world to explore, diverse characters to speak to and perform quest for. Really quite an interesting story to unfold, revolving around dragon slaying. And some really quite nice class customizing going on as well.

A large focus is spent on upgrading your gear in the game, and it employs some nice touches from other RPG's out there, such as randomized effects on weapons and armor, or spells.

Aside from a few graphics bugs here and there, the game is actually rather pretty. I would sooner recommend the PC version over the 360 though, simply for some better anti-aliasing on textures and nice HDR effect to make use of that the 360 version, unfortunately, suffers for a little bit.

All in all, though, Divinity II: DKS is a nice solid RPG for fans of the genre, and it will certainly keep you occupied for nice amount of time too. Once you shake off the rocky start with combat and look past some of the more peculiar bugs that occur, this game should give you nice solid chunk of RPG to chew on.
  25. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surprisingly good and addictive. The story is interesting in itself, with memorable characters and engaging plot twists, fights are nice and require agility, a bit of planning and strategic thinking, and the world is lush and pretty. But not too pretty, mind you :) I didn't expect much of this one, and I was very pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of (meaningful!) dialogues, quests are good, and you can transform to a dragon. It is even more fun that it sounds, because you can practically freely fly around the map then - but still looking out for some things that can hurt you. I thorougly enjoyed this game. Expand
  26. May 27, 2011

Its not something I regret, most often in RPGs you will be given a

Amazing game, I enjoyed it far far more than I expected.

1. Jan 11, 2011
    Dragon Knight Saga solves many of the problems of the original Ego Dragonis thanks to an updated engine, a heaviliy modified 360 version, and an expansion that completes the original title, letting shine many of the great things Larian achived with the original launch. The result is a fantastic Hack'n Slash with a surprising deepness, excellent mission design, great sense of humour, and tons of quality content.
  2. Jan 11, 2011
    The Dragon Knight Saga contains two great role-playing games in one brilliant package. These are games every fan of the genre should try, provided they do not mind action-based combat instead of virtual dice.
  3. Jan 4, 2011
    The Dragon Knight Saga is a solid RPG with a funny gameplay and a nice proposal.