DmC: Devil May Cry PC

6.7

1. Feb 21, 2013
    I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock,I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock, the story is acceptable, not the blasphemy some people call, but the second thing is, i really hate the fact that with this being a good game with possibility of being even better, Ninja Theory and Capcom will probably scrap this project as the black sheep of the family just for plain hate of the people who gave this so many bad reviews without even giving credit to the good things, it's plain unfair, i would love to see more games with this gameplay instead of another DMC2 (which i believe it was really a flawed game), i do hope they at least maintain some of the things that they brought to this game and encourage everyone doubting to play it and try not hate it from the start. Expand
  2. Feb 8, 2013
    It's my first review on this site so do not take it too seriouily, however seeing this game receive only 5.6 reviewers rating is what i call a I played throughout first DMC more than few times and playing this one gave me as much fun. It's true that new dante isn't the old one but it didn't stop me from enjoying the gamplay, level design and story. Soundtrack builds tense atmosphereIt's my first review on this site so do not take it too seriouily, however seeing this game receive only 5.6 reviewers rating is what i call a I played throughout first DMC more than few times and playing this one gave me as much fun. It's true that new dante isn't the old one but it didn't stop me from enjoying the gamplay, level design and story. Soundtrack builds tense atmosphere which suits hack and slash game as well. I believe 8 out of 10 suits this game well, it lacks good lock on system and its not much of chalenge but i had tons of fun playing. Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    the combat and game play of this is fantastic ,only problem is the short story and the boss combate otherwise the game is pretty good, i love the graphics and environment ,i runs smoothly on my pc
  4. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  5. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest heFirst off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMCI've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    Played only DMC 3 and 4 before, but this reboot looks pretty good, and Dante is better than in DMC 4 but still worse than DMC 3 IMHO. Overall pretty nice game. Needs more options on PC, at least Vsync and filtering options.
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    The haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find waysThe haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find ways to make limbo odd, creepy, and even scary in some sections. All with tons of great combat, something they genuinely knocked out of the park.

Only complaint is minor, and that is the little jokes Dante has which do get a bit excessive. Still super minor, the game is fantastic and I hope they keep making them because the fan hate this one got was misplaced. Tons of these negative reviewers NEVER even played the game. They just saw his hair color and hated on it immediately. It is a shame.
  10. Jan 11, 2014
    I played DmC for free on PS+ and this was also my first DmC. I have played hack-n-slash games like God of War and never particularly liked them. However, I did like DmC and its combat mechanics.

There are A LOT of weapons in DmC. If they didn’t space their reveals out so well, it could easily be cumbersome to try and combo with all of the different weapon types. Even for someone that is not skilled in these types of games, I did fairly well.

The atmosphere is one of the best this generation. For a game that plays heavily on Light and Dark themes, there is a dynamic color palette. The set-pieces are very pretty. However, in the former stages of the game, there are a few too many ground crumbling, impending doom concrete sequences. Overall, the PS3 framerate was satisfactory.

One of the biggest disappointments is the length. It couldn’t have been more than 8 hours for the core story. With such attention to detail to the environment every second of the story, it is easy to see why. The benefit of the duration is that there was never a dull moment and the game was well paced.

I thought the dialogue was actually pretty decent. A little too “punkish”, but still felt very real given the characters situation.

The combat surprised me the most. For a game that shares much with God of War, I was amazed how much I liked it and how easy it was to make it look fluid.
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    Inconsistent is the best word I can use to describe this game. The level and art design for some missions are amazing (night club, news tower), and then others are kind of bland (mundus's tower, succubus's lair). The story is all right, but the villain isn't really written well. I'll give some pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the

PROS:

1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the levels in limbo reminds me of Alice madness returns which I also loved.

2. Combat. I loved the different weapons and combos you can come up with, but the list of combos isn't really that long compared to games like bayonetta or god of war. If you are playing on pc, I recommend the controller because the keyboard layout can get quite confusing.

3. Art/Level design. The levels, for the most part, are designed well and will keep your attention throughout your playtime. Night club and the news tower are a must to experience.

CONS:

1. Game is short beat it in 7.5 hours. It's fine if you are paying 20 bucks, but anything more and you start to feel ripped off.

2. Bosses are pretty easy and the final ones leave a lot to be desired. They looked great, but their mechanics were very simplistic and Ninja theory held your hand during the fight.

3. Inconsistent storytelling. At times the missions are written well, but the 2nd half of the game feels rushed and forced.

All in all, the game is worth a rental but because of its short length. I'm not into score submissions or replaying levels to be on top of an online leaderboard either. A 7 or 8 is more realistic score for this game.
  12. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the bestThe game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the best I've seen in my opinion, resembles the one from heavenly sword, too bad so few games similar to this one are released on the PC.

CAUTION: game is totally unplayabe with the Mouse/Keyboard.
  13. Jul 19, 2013
    I loved playing DmC. Game-play is just awesome. Badly waiting for Dmc 2. I agree the characters are not put up well when we compare them to previous Devil May Cry characters but you can't rate a game based on that completely.
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    While this game may not conform to the expectations of many DMC loyalists, I think it's shameful that many of them didn't judge it on it's own merits when submitting a user review.

This game is smooth, slick, gorgeous, wildly inventive, constantly entertaining and most importantly: FUN. I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of

I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of this past generation. If you're on the fence, buy it, it is well worth your time.
  15. Jan 30, 2014
    a very good game the combat is what i liked most,if u play it on a keyboard u are gonna have some problems but if u get a controller the game becomes pretty fun u just get to deal easily a ton of flashy kills with style and it feels awesome,i just wanna go on bloody palace mode and kill for hours
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    Though DMC is not as good devil may cry 3 or 4, it's still an great game. The combat is fluid, it has some awesome music and amazing environments. The only disappointment for me was that the game is not nearly as hard as the other installments
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    Played all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparentPlayed all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparent that it was a console port. The controls felt a bit less-than-intuitive and unresponsive at times; even by the end of the game you might find yourself fumbling here and there, but overall the combat was very fun, if not a bit frustrating at times.

The story is has excellent pacing and actually pretty interesting. It will, at the very least, keep you playing until the end. I blasted through the game in a day. The soundtrack is perfect for the game and I have nothing to complain about, it does well to get your adrenaline going. However, I can't give enough praise about the dialogue, voice acting, and well-done character modeling. The script is so refreshing in its creative absurdness. (ex: Dante: "FU!" Baddie: "FU!" Dante: "No, FU!!"). It never felt contrived and I can't tell you how many games I've played where the dialogue is so straight-up predictable and monotone too the point where all I hear is "blah blah blah". You can tell the crew and voice actors really had fun with it.

Overall, a solid game with some flaws (camera, controls), but easily holds it's own in the series.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    The users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give theThe users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give the game a try. And I must say, I wasn't disappointed. We all know the series needed something fresh after the fiasco that was dmc4. And Ninja Theory hit it, and hit it hard!!!! The combat was slower than the original series, but still fun. The concept of Limbo added some variety to the environment. And the story! It was good, yes, definitely better than the Claptrap of the original series. Together, counting the core game, Bloody Palace mode, and Vergil's Downfall, the game definitely deserves a 9!!!!!!! Real DmC fans, Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    Really awesome slasher. Ninja Theory make the brilliant game that is fun for everyone. No need to run through whole level to "push the button" and back to the start just for another "button". You just sit and have fun, no exceptions.
  20. Feb 20, 2013
    Un juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los hatersUn juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los haters cambien de opinión y dejen de pendejadas con el nuevo dante.. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    игре
    Откровенно DmC влюбился.
    Большинство
  22. Feb 22, 2013
    The gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was prettyThe gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was pretty good. People who are complaining about this game either never played it or want to hate it just because it's different. Expand
  23. Jan 28, 2014
    Seems like the original DmC franchise has one of the worst fanbases in the history of gaming, Even Call of Duty never gets that much hate for changing.
    DmC Devil May Cry is a console hack and slash with a story based on a concept you've probably heard before, but not in a video game, great but a bit simpler then the previous DmC games combat, making the game more accessible to newbies, with its biggest flaw being some enemies that can only be killed with specific weapons. Theres enough moves and weapons to keep the variety interesting and restricting how you can deal with enemies isn't really a good thing, but didn't ruined my experience with the game. The combat also feels better, Dante and his weapons now have weight to them, while the previous games didn't felt satisfying enough for me.
    The platforming is great, fast and doesn't changes the pace of the overall game, much better then the previous games.
    The game is also one of the best looking games out there, gorgeous environments, perfect example of aesthetics over graphics. And its the only actually good PC port, works great with mouse and keyboard.
    Out of all console style 3D hack n slash games I've played so far, this has to be one of the few I truly enjoyed. Don't listen to the retarded fanboys, this game is maybe simpler in combat mechanics, but its still a great game!
  24. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a long-time Devil May Cry fan, and I enjoyed DmC immensely. Although I still rank DMC3 as the best of the series, I think this comes in a close second for me, easily beating out DMC4. To get the most obvious issue people have taken with the game out of the way first, Dante is still Dante. His dialogue is largely reminiscent of DMC3, and he is still an entertaining character, even with the cosmetic changes. I would have preferred it if he'd followed the original Dante in having a less foul mouth, but oh well...

While the combo system is not as good as the series high-point in 3, it is a lot of fun, and there is no shortage of ways to put the hurt on your demonic foes. The initial difficulty levels offered are a bit on the easy side, rather like DMC4, but things get more interesting on the higher settings. Level design is also fantastic, with no two stages feeling the same, and a very dynamic game world.
    The story is probably the best in the series, with characters that feel much more human, ironic since Dante no longer contains any human blood. The moment when Kat is captured and Dante can do nothing to stop it because he is trapped in Limbo was perhaps the best emotional moment I've seen in a DMC game, far out-doing anything with Nero and Kyrie. Ninja Theory makes its share of missteps, but on the whole, I was pleased with what I saw, and drawn in to the game world, despite coming in with the reservations of a long-time Dante fan.

From the point of view of a series fan, it was surprising an entertaining for me to see all of the nods Ninja Theory made to the original series, including a boss fight that was clearly meant to recreate one of the best boss fights from DMC3.

On a purely technical note, the game runs well. I don't have a monster of a gaming rig, in fact, I ran it on a laptop, but I've had no issues with slowdown or the like. All in all, I found DmC Devil May Cry to be a thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience, and worthy to carry the Devil May Cry title. Despite my initial reservations, I was fully immersed in the world Ninja Theory had created by the end of the first level. Considering the very real risk of stagnation that was facing the Devil May Cry series after 4, I feel that Capcom should be rewarded for trying to give the fanbase a new game instead of a retread of the old ones (of course, they also gave us the HD collection if that is really all you want...). It's a shame that the Devil May Cry fans have so roundly condemned this title without even giving it a chance, because it certainly deserves better from us. I think that any Devil May Cry fan ought to give this one a shot. Note: I would normally give this a 9, but considering all of the user reviews trashing the game unfairly, I decided to try and counteract that a little by giving the game a full 10.
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    First thing first, my english isn`t perfect, so sorry about that.
    I`m a great DMC fan, my favorite is DMC 3 SE and DMC 4. I maxed out both game, on every difficulty, every challange and of course the Bloody Palace (like hundred times).
    First thing first, my english isn`t perfect, so sorry about that.
    When I saw the first videos and news about DMC: Devil May Cry, I was scepting. Dante looks lame, they will rape my favorite game, gonna be casual for Call of Duty fans and for more selling, etc. After beating the game first time on PC, here is my review:
    Graphics: absolutely great! Great performance even on my middle category PC. The concept is really awesome, animations are fluid and Limbo effect is looks very cool. Environments, monsters, characters, they all looks great, in my opinion it is very artistic and I like it. There was one or two frustrating mission because of the visuals but thats it. Still 10/10.
    Gameplay: just like previous DMC-s, awesome combos, platforming, challenges, everything what I liked before and still something new. I played DMC-s with gamepad, but this time keyboard + mouse combination was far better for me. Simply you have more buttons to operate with, much easier to combo with other weapons, to evade, jump, shot and almost everything. With mouse to look around when platforming or switching between enemies is almost perfect. While this game is not as hardcore as DMC 3, it is still not casual, actually in DMC 4 Nero was a little bit. I give 9/10, because of there is only a few boss fight and no bloody palace.
    Story: well DMC 3 story was not a big deal but I liked that evil twin brother thing. Fighting against Vergil after those cutscenes really gives me a chill running down on my spine. DMC 4 was tried something new, with Nero and his love story. It was new and fresh, while Dante was the same personal, so I liked that too, even the cutscenes was great. In DMC: Devil may cry the story was nothing new, almost like in DMC 3, but in a new environment and modern world perspective. For a hack and slash game it is just enough. I give 9/10 because those awesome figthing cutscenes missing this time.

Summary: I really enjoyed this game, I will play it through on all difficulty and waiting for the bloody palace. It is good as previous ones, be open minded, try out, finish the game and maybe you will realize that this is not the same DMC as before, but as a reboot this game is amazing. Great work Ninja Theory.
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    Visceral, creative, well-written, fun. These are four aspects that instantly spring to mind when thinking of DMC. This game just reeks of high production values and ensures there is never a dull moment. A thoroughly enjoyable experience for action fans. Highly recommended.
  27. Feb 19, 2013
    Excellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of theExcellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of the original series and pushing it in smart, often surprising, directions. Story is fine, quite funny in parts, and generally well directed and acted. The action is smooth, controls are tight, and the combat is easy to learn and hard to master. I can not fathom how the user score is below an eight for this game (oh wait, this is Metacritic, where people spam 0's for games that offend their delicate sensibilities.) This game is a blast to play, and maybe the best Capcom game since Dead Rising.

This game performs wonderfully, never dropping below 60 fps 1920x1080 at maximum settings on a three year old PC.

A special note on replayability: The game has multiple extremely difficult challenge modes that are unlocked after completing the game. People who claim this game is dumbed down and easier than the old series doing know what they're talking about. When I see a video of these people beating the hardest difficulty, I will become a believer in their cause.
  28. Feb 22, 2013
    Graphic: visual effects are pretty good,and...maybe awesome,realy nice to watch,unreal engine at it best GamePlay: interesting option with demon and angel mod, well number of weapon and combo,tuff enemies,a lot of secret missions.Well done.
    Story: rather fresh and interesting,but...to short i think,has to be expanded. ...
    This game is a good start of a brand-new DMC,not incredible,but
    This game is a good start of a brand-new DMC,not incredible,but worthy.Devil may cry and slasher fans-MUST HAVE.
    And,by the way,use gamepad for the greatest impressions and experience.
  29. Jan 28, 2013
    I prefer the story to the older DMC games and quite like the reimagining of Dante in a modern day setting. Yes he looks like a 20 something bloke in 2013 instead of a glam rocker but I'd say that's an improvement. If I was a demon bent on world domination today I would be going about it pretty much as it is done in this game. Combat could be improved by lock on, stronger firearms (theyI prefer the story to the older DMC games and quite like the reimagining of Dante in a modern day setting. Yes he looks like a 20 something bloke in 2013 instead of a glam rocker but I'd say that's an improvement. If I was a demon bent on world domination today I would be going about it pretty much as it is done in this game. Combat could be improved by lock on, stronger firearms (they seem weak compared to earlier games in the series) and more reward for swtitching weapons on the fly (you can get S ranks just spamming the Axe special). Expand
  30. Jan 27, 2013
    There's one thing that should be cleared up before I even begin: this does not feel like Devil May Cry. The names are the same, some abilities are the same, even aspects of the characters are the same. But this game does not line up with the rest of the series. Considering the fact that it is a reboot, though, all of these things are both good and bad.
    Because the list of issues with this
    Because the list of issues with this game are short, I'll start with them: much of the dialogue is almost painful to listen to. On top of that, the voice acting, while excellent on some characters, is extremely lacking on others. My final complaint was early on in the game, where Dante finds himself if a classic Dante-esque wig, and says "Not in a million years." Why, Ninja Theory? Is your need to antagonize us really that great?
    Now to the positive. The graphics are very good. While only moderate in some areas, the attention to detail on the characters was excellent. The hair, clothing, and hell, even the skin looked fantastic. The combat, while a bit difficult to fully grasp at first, allows you to achieve amazing combos by giving you the ability to instantly switch between any obtained weapon. The upgrade system, while different from previous titles, is very easy to understand and gives you a good understanding of what each upgrade will do. The enemies, while sometimes repetitive, are diverse enough to keep the combat from becoming stale.
    And finally, Dante. Does he have the occasional blunt humor of the original Dante? Sure. Are there similarities other than that?...Unfortunately, not really. But the character is by no means unlikable, and he's what we get. No amount of complaining will change that, at least for a quite a while.
    Overall, I loved this game. The self-entitled **** spamming the ratings with low scores should actually play the game instead of sitting in their pile of butt-hurt.
    Bravo, Ninja Theory. I can't wait to see where you go with the series.
  31. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DLCs, addons and, of course, DmC 2.
  32. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful Game, history, stunning graphics, great style combat, in pc versión it's better. i don't like the dante's new look, but with the dlc , the problem is solved ;)
  33. Jan 27, 2013
    The game has all that an action game needs: Rewarding gameplay with plenty of combo possibilities, good visuals (both in quality and aesthetics) and a soundtrack that flows perfectly with what's happening on the screen.
    The story is above the average of this genre I'd say. The personality and occasional puns of Dante fit very well and don't make him a douchebag, I don't know where a lot of people get that from... just as the complains about the difficulty. If you are a pro, don't take one of the first 2 difficulties. Oh, and finishing the game unlocks several even harder modes, so there should be enough for everyone.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely come back to it at a later time, which I don't do with a lot of singleplayer games.
  34. Feb 3, 2013
    Good PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first threeGood PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first three difficulties but after that you can choose even higher difficulties and those are pretty neat. Whether or not you like the soundtrack is a matter of taste but it really fitted the action and vibe of the game. (I really liked it). It's a shame that people weigh the flaws of this game so high in comparison to all the good stuff. For most of those people it probably didn't matter what they would have made this game into, they would just hate it for not being the dmc they are used to. It's not their fault, they were just biased because of the new way the franchise went in and because of it, payed much more attention to the flaws and forgot about many of the great things this game does. REALLY REALLY hope they will continue this version of dmc.

This game gets an 8 from me but because of the many haters i will give it a 10 over here.
  35. Feb 9, 2013
    Epic game. This game combines the combat system of the 3rd part with the demonic arm type addition from the 4th game, while at the same time improving both. The story is really strong with the only negative thing being that the characters development could be a little bit better. Overall a solid game with a great fighting system, solid story and amazing graphics.
  36. Feb 2, 2013
    I relly think this game is great graphics story characters gameplay everything is on the right place .
    So a very strong 8 is my rate Try this game
  37. Feb 21, 2013
    A really nice reboot. I was one of the hater who hated Ninja Theory for redesigned Dante too. The thing is, everything else except the look of the characters has lived up to my expectations. I would like to play the sequel of DmC. The only thing I can complain is that the game is too easy, so easy that smashing buttons can achieve SSS grades. Please make it more challenging in the next game.
  38. Feb 2, 2013
    Even I was being a crybaby, 'why Dante doesn't have white hair?' 'why he is not so cool, rather serious?'
    After a hard dilemma and with the critic scores, I gave this game a try.
    Now I introspect myself... the earlier Dante he was one of the coolest character of Capcom, ever made. I as a fan was not much bothered who he really is, whats his origin. this game has provided me a solid
    After a hard dilemma and with the critic scores, I gave this game a try.

this game has provided me a solid story of Dante's origin... connecting to his cooler side (in the sequel may be)

this game has provided me a whole bunch of things about Dante, to be fan about... He is no more a mysterious character, eating pizza and flirting his girlfriends
    this origin, and other stuffs about Dante, is rightfully mine, as a fan. Thanks Capcom.

Mr. Crybaby... whoever is reading this review, to decide to give this game a try.... don't worry to buy one.
    else you'll regret it.

Story 10/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Level designs 9/10
    Bosses 8/10
    Presentation, animation 10/10

overall 10/10
  39. Jan 28, 2013
    This game offers many things to you because of the fact of how well the game is delivered, i was not expecting much and this game really did exceed my expectations. The story itself is not too bad, i quite enjoyed it however there could have been ways in which it was more engaging. The combat in this game, i have not played the previous titles however, i think is very nice as there areThis game offers many things to you because of the fact of how well the game is delivered, i was not expecting much and this game really did exceed my expectations. The story itself is not too bad, i quite enjoyed it however there could have been ways in which it was more engaging. The combat in this game, i have not played the previous titles however, i think is very nice as there are plenty of combos you are able to execute within the battle periods that you find yourself in this game. Visually this game is pretty sweet as it was quite vibrant and it looked fantastic, but the impressive thing is that this game is not, and i repeat NOT, a bad port at all to the pc. This game performs fantastically on my system and i get an average of 110 fps which is surprising as i was playing this game completely maxed out. One BIG criticism i have towards this game is that its TOO SHORT i managed to get through the whole story in 11 hours which is extremely disappointing as a loved playing this game but honestly i really believe that they can make this game longer and better. Having said that i think its worth holding out for the game until it goes on sale on steam because i don't believe it is worth the 29.99 that steam is selling it for, especially for the length of the game, but if you do get a chance to buy this game for cheap then its sure worth the money in my honest opinion. Hope this helps some of you guys out on a decision to buy this game. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2013
    Get over the "new" Dante people. Seriously, after playing the game to completion and watching the character evolve and change, it's almost as if anyone who just only wanted to see one side of him has something to complain about. Amazing frames on my 550ti, combat is fun, fast paced and the camera flows oh so well with it. There isn't anything about this game that doesn't SCREAM devil mayGet over the "new" Dante people. Seriously, after playing the game to completion and watching the character evolve and change, it's almost as if anyone who just only wanted to see one side of him has something to complain about. Amazing frames on my 550ti, combat is fun, fast paced and the camera flows oh so well with it. There isn't anything about this game that doesn't SCREAM devil may cry. The music choice felt great for getting you pumped as you slash and decimate your demon foes, even though in general I don't like dubsteb. Above all, this game for more was more than worth the buy, even after playing all the other Devil May Cry's. I would even go as far to say just as good as #3, better than 4 and 1. I promise, as long as you're not a close minded, retard who thinks that DMC needs to be a certain way because they said so, you'll love the game and its intense rush it gives. Go ahead, give it shot, see another take on Devil May Cry. Expand
  41. Jan 30, 2013
    Note:
    The easy-combat-rank-fill which was a main point of protest from old DMC-Fans, as well as several severe (sound) bugs got patched on January 30th (at least for computer).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was scared. When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it
    Note:

I was scared.
    When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it even be worse than that DMC4 cash-in?
    Dante appeared to be a big, overgrown show-off kid.
    So, I didn't put my hopes up to high when I picked up DMC.

I started the game and - like many other old-fashioned DMC fans I **** my nose when I first experienced the new combat system.

BUT:
    I kept cool and decided to try the game before condemning it - in the end DMC really surprised me in a positive way.

The combat system:
    While I always did love love the style system - this new kind of combat really kicks nuts once you get a hang on it.
    The weaponswitching has never been as fluent before.
    While it is true - early missions don't require a lot of special moves - the new system allows you to make combat an art.
    Weapons really complement each other. Especially AoE-air fight got a serious improvement.

Dante:
    While I didn't like his concept back at the E3 presentation, the final release really did please me.
    He is young, he is unexperienced - but he has big mouth and the self confidence we're used to know from old Dante.
    He kindly lacks the humor we all used to love, but he definitely is "a type".

The Story:
    We get to know about Dante's and Vergil's past, their youth and we experience how Dante is forced into the demonkiller-role.
    I don't wanna spoil anything here, so I'll hint on the setting; the developers took the main idea from and old Movie "They live!" (1988) : A world that is not what it looks like only a few have the chance, well rather the possibilities to see through the Veil society and norms blur the realty with. I'm no fan of that romantic marxistic idea to fight the "bad capitalism", but DMCs developers really had the balls to make this philosophic and critical game.

The design:
    I really don't understand how some people can cry about the look, I set everything to ultra and it looks great on my 42″ TV.
    Especially the Nimbus (demon-world) is an eye catcher.
    Dang! I couldn't get my chin back up when I first saw the walls implode in front of me, trying to catch 'n squash me.

Music:
    As good as in any DMC.

Bottomline:
    Taking all these things into account I'm giving DMC 10/10.
    People who hate this game do hate it because the want to hate it.
    The new Dante lacks humor, yes but people continuously forget - this is young Dante who's new to the business, not the relaxed old top dog who's feeling completely invincible.
    The story is great, so is 2 world-concept.
    The visuals really fit the mood, as does the sound.

With the latest patch DMCs only real flaws (too easy to achieve combo scores) and some (sound) bugs have been removed, leaving it a game I really can recommend to new players as well old DMC fans.
  42. Jan 30, 2013
    so sum it up, Im a devil may cry fan, and when i saw the preview of this game i was a little pissed off coz i thought they f**ked up Dante, but i was sooo wrong, this game is f**kin badass!!! awesome game play, crazy graphic, super creative, Ninja Theory really nailed it, they took a risk changing DMC and it paid off.. so badass I dont even care that it doent follow the previous DMCso sum it up, Im a devil may cry fan, and when i saw the preview of this game i was a little pissed off coz i thought they f**ked up Dante, but i was sooo wrong, this game is f**kin badass!!! awesome game play, crazy graphic, super creative, Ninja Theory really nailed it, they took a risk changing DMC and it paid off.. so badass I dont even care that it doent follow the previous DMC structure, this is now my favourite DMC game!! for all DMC fans out there, give this game a chance.. it is simply a pure badass game.. only thing i would like to add is that i wish this game was alittle longer... Expand
  43. Jan 28, 2013
    Certainly desirable to play on the PC, as inexplicably locked FPS on consoles.
    What can I say, knowingly gave the boys from ninja theory, did just super. Finally DmC of stupid math was complete, properly organized game. Sobsno vydrachivaniya SSS element itself remained, but with a new combat system receiving this rating was a million times more intuitive and fun.
  44. Jan 28, 2013
    this is an amazing game the way you feel when the music play has you slice up you enemies and bodies go flying. i liked the new Dante he is a bad ass but i would like the old look with the new personality. the story is good but i'm still confused why is this through the media and banks it is really diffident to what games i play.
  45. Jan 28, 2013
    This is a really good game good graphics story and characters!
    don't know what people are crying about, this is the first devil may cry game I have played and it is awesome, great graphics with 100-150 fps and something interesting happening every corner I would recommend to fast paced action lovers, would give a 10 but had problems with install.
  46. Jan 29, 2013
    It's really amazing. NT show unbeliviable skill of making levels and boses. They choose great music for game (especially Noisia). Not so bad plot and dynamic. I was sitting with opened mouth - I was really shoked. It's AMAZING!!!
  47. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, areOk Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, are just guy who love old Dante too much, yes his the iconic character that made the DMC what it is. But if you keep playing it some of Dante's old look comes to play aswell as his red coat when DT is used. His hair will probably come back in the next one so don't flag the game as a bad one because i bet most of you haven't even played it yet. A FACT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING IT A 0 ARE TROLLS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEW DANTE. Expand
  48. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't understand the backlash because the game is a little different. It's a fantastic game. The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while.
  49. Jan 31, 2013
    It is a good game. And it's a great restart for a whole franchise. New music, new characters, new moves, new original levels. DMC 4 was rather dull. There was nothing new in it, nothing original. This is a different story. Just give it a chance.
  50. Feb 1, 2013
    first off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praisesfirst off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praises aside, the storyline is pretty weak and the script is kind of cheezy at times. However, the gameplay and art design definitely makes up for it and i do recommend checking this game out. Also, think twice before hitting the unhelpful button. Expand
  51. Feb 2, 2013
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    I'm actually extremely happy that I didn't listen to the user score and got the game anyways.
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    The game is fantastic as is expected of a Devil May Cry game. When I ask anyone why they hated the game, the most common response is because they hate the way Dante looks. Get over it, besides you can expect him to look way different in the next game. As for the story, past Devil May Cry games didn't really have much of a story, they were mostly action games. I personally enjoyed the story for this game, though it was nothing spectacular. The story was still good and interesting. Gameplay was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel.
  52. Jan 29, 2013
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphicsI would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphics appears on the PS3. Screen tearing and some load times between bosses. Other than That, I think the game looks fantastic. Limbo was one of the best ideas I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. The wold twists and contorts as Dante get dragged down into limbo. Concerning the new look of Dante and Vergil, I really like the new Dante look. I know to some he looks edgy, but over all he doesn't look terrible. You start to realize that this new look of Dante correlates to his personality and character in the story. Vergil on the other had doesn't appeal to me as much. I understand that there's also a story based reason as to why he looks the way he does, but I just don't particularly like it. I can appreciate the work and detail that went into the design of the new Vergil. He doesn't look bad, I'm just not too fond of his new look. I'm sure some of you guys and gals will like it though. Now we get to the story. The main plot of the game isn't that original, but still rather enjoyable. Its no Lord of the Rings, but its still enjoyable. I'm going to compare DmC to Pitch Perfect. Both have really predictable stories, but both also have some amazing characters in their story. DmC's strength doesn't necessarily lie in its main plot, but rather the characters in the plot. This is the first time we see an unsure Dante. He's lost and finds some sort of meaning after meeting up with his long lost brother Vergil. Vergil on the other hand is strong, confident, and has a brilliant mind. Seeing Dante change from a bitter emo teen, to a young adult that is trying to not only find a place where he belongs, but is also trying to do right by everyone he loves. I would like to commend Ninja Theory again on the brilliant characters in this game. As much as I want to hate the new Dante's personality, I can't. This is because I understand where he's coming from because Ninja Theory made sure that you connect with him as a character and not just your avatar in the game. There's a new character named Kat. She's Vergils right hand and is Dante's partner on the field. What we as gamer's expect from a female character in a Devil May Cry game is that they would be Dante's love interest. That's not the case here. Instead of she loving Dante, she ends up loving Vergil. This will make all the difference in the story because for the first time, Dante is considered 2nd best in his world. Its usually Dante is the cool guy that gets the girl all the time. Not this time around. Time for Gameplay. Its amazing. I know some people were really turned off when they found out that the game would run at 30 frames instead of 60, but you don't really notice it. The combat is fun, fast paced, and it caters to the creative side of the player. It allows you to think up and create new ways to dish out the pain. I must have spent a good 8 whole hours (not 8 hours straight. Jesus.) in the training mode just thinking up new ways to reach the coveted SSS rank. The bosses aren't all that great to fight, but some of them are just amazing to look at ( I'm looking at you Bob Barbas) Speaking of ranks, the style rank this time around is really user friendly. Although it does take some skill to get the SSS rank we all want so much, it doesn't take as much skill as opposed to the likes of DMC3 and DMC4. Although it is sort of a turn off, I still feel that sense of accomplishment when I get that SSS rank. (but then I remember that its a lot easier to get and SSS rank in this game, then I feel horrible and start crying out of shame for feeling proud). Dante now has 2 kind of weapons, Angel and Demon. Angel weapons move fast while Demonic ones hit like a motherf*****. My problem with this is that there are only 2 weapons per type. The older DMC's gave tons of weapons to play with, why couldn't this one? I would guess its because they wanted the game to cater to newer players. Which is fine. (but please release a weapon pack. No really. That would be dope. Thanks.) Platforming in the game is incredibly fun. I'm not so big on platforming, but moving around in this game was incredibly fun. I felt like I was a badass while jumping of a ledge, swinging my way through a warped and disfigured factory where all the crates, and shelves were flying around. Platforming is fun. Plain and simple. Over all I think the new DmC is a blast. It does deserve a chance, and people shouldn't base their opinions because of hair colour. I would give DmC: Devil May Cry an 8.9/10. Expand
  53. Cel
    Jan 29, 2013
    Due to all the negativity, I felt compelled to write a review. Despite some imperfections, such some choppy pre-rendered cut scenes at times, the game is very solid. I found the combat to be tight and responsive. Don't be fooled by videos of people perfecting their play throughs, the game is very challenging and offers a variety in combat. The music is a very strong point and lendsDue to all the negativity, I felt compelled to write a review. Despite some imperfections, such some choppy pre-rendered cut scenes at times, the game is very solid. I found the combat to be tight and responsive. Don't be fooled by videos of people perfecting their play throughs, the game is very challenging and offers a variety in combat. The music is a very strong point and lends itself well to the genre. The story was actually a damn good one and made me want more from this period. And lastly, Dante is still freaking awesome. His voice acting was bad at times, but overall I was thoroughly impressed with this rendition. There are only 2 caveats: First, this game is very short; however, the game lends itself well to the perfectionist who wants to master the combat. Second, it doesn't add anything new to the already pre-exisiting formula. If you are looking for something revolutionary in the genre, this is not your game. If you are looking for over the top, flashy, fast-paced fun that will test your reflexes... this is your game. Perhaps people are resistant to change, but I felt that this game was true to the DMC heritage. Expand
  54. Feb 2, 2013
    A worthy continuation the series. Charismatic character. Wonderful graphics. Excellent integration of Steam. As a true fan of this series, I can say the game is great.
  55. Jan 27, 2013
    i was pleasantly surprised by this game on PC. Running it at 2560x1440 on a 27 inch monitor is a delight.
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too. Has to be one of the best console style games i have seen converted to the pc. The story is actually interesting and the acting for the most part is very good. This could be the surprise
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too.

This could be the surprise hit of the year.

I also picked this up via a stream key for $30 so it seems like a bargain for this.

Anyone who is having reservations about the new new Dante, you can - or at least my version does, play as the old Dante in all but cutscenes.

You do miss some of the more crazy moves and the combat is not quite as fun as before but those annoying camera angles are gone.

Secret rooms even have a homage to the past by having the odd fix camera back when you climb stairs.

Alot of care and attention has gone into this game and i feel you would lose alot of the detail on console.

The sound is amazing too as long as you have decent sound capabilities. With a 9.1 THX system it is incredible.
  56. Jan 29, 2013
    Gripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negativeGripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negative reviews are old DMC fans who find it hard to move on, somewhat unfair reviews and just very personal views, I am a massive fan of DMC and so are a few of my friends, but them including others new to the franchise all love it. Overall, amazing but personal tastes from others may lead you to think this is a bad game when it clearly is not.

Get it!
  57. Jan 27, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this game, i was skeptical at first because of Dante's new look and the staleness of the franchise. The moves and combo abilities are easy to understand are great to pull off. If you don't buy it new, i would recommend it a must have when the price comes down.
  58. Feb 3, 2013
    I simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolvingI simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolving persona, changing from the "I don't give a damn" mindset into a good character the player can somewhat relate to (as far as a human can relate to a nephilim anyways). The combat is great! The one exception being the game forcefully making the player have to use angel or demonic weapons against a specific type (read color) of enemy, extremely fluid and well balanced.

Overall the game has a decent story (appalled at how can the professional websites give full reviews of what seems to be 3 hours of gameplay), great and well paced combat combined with simple yet engaging platforming and puzzle solving (with less emphasis on the latter), and a quite big ammount of replayability, not on doing pointless achievement whoring, but on actually unlocking bonus missions of variable difficulty! Would 100% recommend this game to any fan of the action spectacle fighter style gameplay.
  59. Jan 28, 2013
    Decent story, decent boss fights, and superb everything else! The game really pushes you to your limit in higher difficulties - forcing you to nearly master this deep combat system, in turn making the game even funner to play. The level design is amazing, too!
  60. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little toThe people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  61. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch. Both combat and

Both combat and movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  62. Jan 28, 2013
    I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one.I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one. They complain about nitpicky details that no real gamer would ever give a **** about, like the color of the main character's hair. This is seriously a contentious issue with them, that you have to play though the game to get Dante's hair to be white. The combat system is similar, but with some changes; fanboys accuse it of being "dumbed down" -- it's actually just more efficient and I will explain it. What they did was remove the lock-on feature and automate it based on the Dante's direction on the screen. It makes the combat more fluid, you can effectively attack large numbers of enemies at once, and you don't have to constantly click and press the lock-on button for every enemy if you want to use the effective moves. In essence, it's much easier to pay attention to all of the enemies when your camera and your weapons aren't trained on one, which would force you to toggle between them. On the other hand, you do often instead have to hold one of the triggers to switch between angelic/demonic weapons. I think it's a question of taste at that point, since the alternative would be to toggle between them, making it cumbersome to resume using the Rebellion/Guns. Like many other action games, you now dodge with the R and L instead of the jump button. This allows you to dodge attacks from non-locked on enemies with ease, and you never accidentally jump away from an enemy (instead of rolling away). Complaining that this system is "dumbed down" is like saying Windows 7 is a dumbed down version of Windows 8 because you have to click fewer times to get the same things done. Efficiency isn't evil. The game is also "more accessible" in that the DEFAULT difficulty levels are easier than the DEFAULT difficulty levels of previous titles. "Hardcore" gamers and masochists are very welcome to play the one-hit-and-you-die difficulties, but even at Son of Sparda the difficulty is massively cranked up, with more combat scenes added. The Ninja Theory team isn't stupid -- and Capcom held their hand the entire way. It's extremely easy to make a game harder -- just take more damage and place more enemies -- so there's no reason for people to assume that because it's a different developer they weren't capable of doing it. As for the story, it has elements of the original DMC games but with a contemporary twist. The story is essentially 'They Live' with a visit to Fox News and the Slurm factory, which is as ridiculous and over-the-top as any other DMC title, except it's a little more coherent. I have never heard a DMC player tell me honestly that they ever liked, or cared about, the storyline of DMC. DMC3 centered around some tower, a concept clearly just pulled out of someone's ass, and DMC4 was about a powerful religious leader who turned out to be -- hold onto your shorts -- EVIL, and a 20-something half-demon kid who just didn't give a **** until maddam **** gets involved. In short, the stories are equally compelling or non-compelling. I even heard complaints about fan service in this game, because of Kat's (the female foil's) short shorts and constant bending over. Oh really? And what about DMC3's Lady? She had a practically invisible skirt. And Trish? She was as big-titted as always. And DMC4? What about Nero's love interest with the massive bazookas? And the new Lady's ass and cleavage in the cutscenes? The reboot is RIDICULOUSLY tame in the fan service department compared to those games. It's a Japanese TRADITION nowadays to have some level of fan service, and I'd say Ninja Theory largely missed the boat on that opportunity by providing a love interest with plausible proportions. And who cares in the end? Hot women in games are like ducks in a pond. Anyone who complains about fan service is a douche. The one major complaint I DO have about the reboot is the platforming elements and the number of cutscenes. There are way too many platforming stages, especially near the end. HOWEVER, you can cut much of the platforming if you know where you're going, and higher difficulties add more combat scenes to break it up. The remaining platforming is a speed trial for which you're rewarded with a completion time bonus. You also don't have to collect all the orbs more than once! Finally I'd like to note that, aside from DMC4, this is the ONLY DECENT PC PORT OF A CONSOLE ACTION GAME IN EXISTENCE. PC gamers don't have Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, etc. -- just DMC4 and this reboot. The porting is outstanding, and in sharp contrast to the disaster of DMC3: Special Edition. PS3 gamers can compare this to other games, we can't. This is the best so far. Expand
  63. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  64. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't really know why so many people are pissed off at the game. It's a reboot people...The story's good, the combat worthy of being in a dmc and the graphics are pretty good.
    The new Dante look is a bit emo-y, but hey as i said it's a reboot. Overall it's a good game.
  65. Feb 1, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much!First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much! Dante must be waaay over the top, he must be more badass than the word badass and last but not least he must have white hair. Pls don't break these rules ever again!
    Now some final kind words:
    The music is the best the franchise had so far, it looks SO good and is really really fluid. Well done Ninja Theory! (but pls leave the main char in tact next time)
  66. Jan 31, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. GoodI really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. Good job, Ninja Theory. Expand
  67. Jan 29, 2013
    I played dmc 1-4 and now this reboot. Dmc 2 is the only one that I didn't get near the end. That said I can said 100% that this game is a good game. It isn't the best in the series but it is certainly a welcome addition. I can safely say that DMC is at the very least better than dmc 2. The PC ran so wonderfully that alone it got high marks. The things I liked
    The settings - ok sure it was
    The settings - ok sure it was very strange plot line but come on so is any japanese game. This game is through and through british while the other dmcs was japanese/japanese view of western view on heaven, hell etc...
    combat was smooth camera wasn't annoying
    I never felt lost unlike the other games.
    Very little puzzles compare to other games
    easy - okay yes the game was easy but Sometimes i feel like playing a easy game where i can blow crap up. If i want a challenge i can always go back and play 1-4 on the hardest difficulty.
    few funny jokes - though many fell flat.
    Good boss fights but the designs were not as memorable as 1-4. The things I dislike the voice acting was sometime inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded emotional but sometimes didn't. the facial expression looked stiffed otherwise it looked strange. It was no uncharted 2.

In conclusion, its a reboot. its a good game. get over it.
  68. Feb 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Game ist great! have a good Story, fantastic Level Design, and with ca. 15 hours not too short! ...
    and for all the *peep* with the hair problem: Dante becomes long white Hairs at the End of the game!!!!!! and then you can start the game new, with this hairs!
  69. Feb 4, 2013
    It's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visualsIt's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visuals and creative level designs, it's still a good game. Expand
  70. Feb 6, 2013
    Playing this new DMC with the new character was not a bad experience at all and who ever say it has nothing to do with previous DMCs my answer is WRONG
    because the action is there the graphics are amazing the story Please note that Playing DMC on a higher difficulty make the game more interesting .
    for me its the Kick ass hell of an action game 2013.so far.
  71. Feb 28, 2014
    This is my game of 2013, I'm playing it for the fourth time now. Why? Well:

This is my game of 2013, I'm playing it for the fourth time now. Why? Well:

The Design: I love the way the "daemon" worlds is build on top of a modern city. That way there is a lot of viarity while the game is always maintaining a fitting mood. The setting Is not necessarily unique, but surly vivid and keeps my interest for the longest time. The well chosen effects add their "WOW" in the right moments. Even the enemy and boss designs are kept at this level.

The Fight-system: Is fast-paced, slick, evolving, making space for a variety of fighting-styles. Even though easy to pick up there is lots of techniques that will take more then one play-throught master. For example changing weapons quickly is actually useful, even in boss-battles, air becomes your friend later on and using guns in the middle of a slashing-spree Is quite difficult but very useful when done right.

The Story: What do you expect from a slash em up? Well It's much better then that. Not that the overall story would have been ground breaking, but scenery are made with much love to the detail and the characters. For example the background story is being told while Dante and Virgil are walking across a yard and visualised by street-graffiti.

Unlocks: I'm not talking about Achievements here: What I love is the huge library of character and production artwork you will unlock over the time. I just love it, its well presented and of great quality. Also there Is no limit in hard-modes, there rewarding and different - so again replaying is fun!

If you're looking for a high quality slash 'n hack with allot of replay-value, then this game is for you!
  72. Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, most of DMC fans can just say few things about this game. New Dante looks stupid and this reboot of the franchise is the most lame idea Capcom has ever come up with.They are all right, that is quite a valid point they have for this game. However, the question i wanna ask is: Is that really a reason to give this game a 0/10 or 1/10? I will go with no. The game would deserve that scoreYes, most of DMC fans can just say few things about this game. New Dante looks stupid and this reboot of the franchise is the most lame idea Capcom has ever come up with.They are all right, that is quite a valid point they have for this game. However, the question i wanna ask is: Is that really a reason to give this game a 0/10 or 1/10? I will go with no. The game would deserve that score if it was buggy, unfinished, and unplayable.But, apparently, we are all so pissed at this game when we saw trailer that we have forgotten what's really important about game franchise. The gameplay. Again, the fact that we are not seeing the Dante we all liked anymore, but instead we are seeing a bit of a jackass Dante, still stands, but one thing that saved this game from sucking is gameplay. I will go as far to say that it is way better than on previous Devil may cry games. One thing i will start with is the control. In this game, in addition to keyboard, you use mouse. Which also means that you use mouse for attacks and camera control. That's right, the one who controls the camera is YOU.You don't have those annoying camera transitions that you had in previous games, which was really disturbing when you are moving a character(You do have that in this game aswell, but it's really rare).As for fighting, Dante here moves more fluidly than he was before, and you have this feeling like he is more responsive.What you will also notice is that you do not have styles here anymore, so you are not limited to only one type of attacks. What you do have here is two mode of attacks. Blue mode and Red mode. They are not called that actually, but i will go with those names for the sake of avoiding spoilers.As you had in previous games, Dante will receive some new weapons throughout the missions which are divide by these two modes. You will find all those weapons so usefull, that you will bearly have any need for the use of guns.Still, there are also some things that i don't like(beside the reboot fact).One thing i don't like is that you do not have a lock-on.It's automatic, so you will find that a bit annoying.Another thing you might disslike, is the fighting style ranking. Basically, in this game, you will get S-ranks like a candy. Even if you are not trying to get the S-rank, you will still get it with ease.In previous game, the ranks rapidly increased when you have quite of a fighting style, but when you are doing nothing it rapidly decreases.Here, there is no decrease. The only way your rank is gonna get decreased is if you get damaged, which can be easily avoided.These are some things i didn't like in this game, but i would be a horrible lier if i said that i didn't enjoy this game. So this is my reason for giving this game a high score despite the reboot fact. I am still a bit disappointed that this isn't Devil may cry 5 we are reviewing, but there are some quite of bright side of this games aswell. Expand
  73. Apr 30, 2013
    the game fighting animation is stunning, nice combat moves but you really need to practice a lot to do the awesome combos especially when you keep switching weapons. if you master the moves you will enjoy owning whoever attacks you
  74. May 15, 2013
    Well.. here is my point of view: Any one giving this game less than a 7.0 is lying or have no standards at all. The game has high production values, great combat (it gets really deep if you spend some time with it and try the harder difficulties where you actually have to think about what you're doing) and acomplishes to tell a compeling story. It's different from the previous game and itWell.. here is my point of view: Any one giving this game less than a 7.0 is lying or have no standards at all. The game has high production values, great combat (it gets really deep if you spend some time with it and try the harder difficulties where you actually have to think about what you're doing) and acomplishes to tell a compeling story. It's different from the previous game and it may keep old fans away, but anyone coming with an open mind and willing to give the game a chance may have a good time. just leave your preconceptions at the door and dive in. Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2013
    I haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay andI haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay and level design rather than arbitrarily. The cutscenes in this game are actually worth watching, and at the end of every level you want to know what's next in the story. The voice acting is amongst the finest I've come across too. But let's get down to it: what this game's really about is the fast-paced hectic combat. The game does a great job of introducing everything to you and incorporates this very well into the level design. There are a fair load of moves and these are cleverly split using Angel and Demon modes. Ninja Theory really thought hard about how to include a lot of distinct moves into a fast-paced game without the need for more technical inputs. The controls are great (when using Xbox 360 controller) and are easy to pick up. The combat is perhaps one of the most creative in the genre due to the number of moves, enemies and the pacing. Everything has a point and isn't there purely for style it's actually useful. There's also a training mode for testing out different combinations of attacks. Although creative, the combat isn't as hard-hitting or satisfying as Batman because it doesn't punish button mashing or require a lot of precision. However, as with the level design, the combat is totally psychedelic. There are some basic RPG elements present too. Collectibles and some objects give you money which can spent on health upgrades or extra lives. You also gain upgrades in a similar fashion to Batman in which you can spend on special moves to add to your arsenal. As you'd expect, you are given a score at the end of each level based on your performance. This does seem to slightly overrate how well you did compared to the individual breakdown of components, but hat isn't a bad thing I suppose. The difficulty levels are just right, and scoring system isn't too bad either. Overall, DmC is a great action game in all aspects. The graphics are incredible even though they don't require a supercomputer, the story is decent, level design isn't dull and combat is as it should be fast and fun. All the elements in the game complement the style so well, there doesn't seem to be anything out of place. The combat demolishes Arkham City for variety, since there are around 60 different moves (not to mention the different combinations and juggling), there are lots of different enemies and every level is different. There's always something new, and the level design is unlike anything you've ever come across because it's so unconventional. There aren't any fundamental criticisms I have of this game. If you want a fast-paced action game with a strong emphasis on combat and level design and a decent story AND is NOT generic, DmC is the best game for it. Collapse
  76. Jul 1, 2013
    I played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, notI played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, not bad, but it hit pretty much a decent progression of story throughout the game that managed to keep my attention. I have to say the best things about this game is the design of the levels, along with the fluidity of the combat system. And while like in the old games you hack, slashed and shot up your combo multiplier they introduced enemies that you had to use specific weapons against to be able to inflict damage, along with a parry and dodge system that allowed you to progress in your combos with the right timing as the enemies became more difficult. This is so far one of the best adventure games I have played of this year, and I will say it is not an amazing game it did manage to keep my interest in playing it for a long time. Expand
  77. Mar 8, 2013
    Definitely a game worth playing, combat is intense and involving. Entry barrier has been lowered for newcomers to the series, but still has higher difficulty levels for more experienced players so that they can enjoy it, too.

Cons: Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw. Devil Trigger is underwhelming. I personally did not get along with the

Cons:
    Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw.
    Devil Trigger is underwhelming.
    I personally did not get along with the camera at certain times.
    Victory over enemy waves is often times more rewarding than defeating bosses.
    The new characters are boring/difficult to connect to.
    Some of Dante's lines are overly cheesy.

While not a glaring issue, I also believe that Style ratings and performance grade reach their apex too easily.

Pros:
    Visuals are amazing
    Combat is intense and involving
    The concept of Limbo is very cool
    The idea that a demon is controlling the world with debt is an interesting one
    Music selection is good, I think that an early Gallows could have done great work for this game.

I think that it is unfortunate that there is so much controversy surrounding this game, because so many people are just angry about a haircut and the change of personality in a character that was always kind of an airhead anyway.

I feel like if the series continues to go on, that Dante is probably going to gradually turn into something that resembles his character from previous games anyway. The game is a reset of the series. We were all young once, expressing our emotions strongly and forcing old people to endure our youthful tirades.

But definitely a game worth buying or checking out!
  78. Feb 28, 2013
    awesome gameplay, awesome story, fantastic art, beautiful characters and places, Dante is annoying at first but deep down he is the Dante we all Love, AMAZING REBOOT... just amazing...
  79. Jun 27, 2013
    ok when i first saw the trailer of this game and saw someone that looks weird and calling himself dante i was like hell no this will suck ass cause the older dante played a major role in the success of the series but as a huge fan of dmc i had to play this one and let me tell you it is a great game the gameplay is so good with so many weapons that you'll never see it repetitive and theok when i first saw the trailer of this game and saw someone that looks weird and calling himself dante i was like hell no this will suck ass cause the older dante played a major role in the success of the series but as a huge fan of dmc i had to play this one and let me tell you it is a great game the gameplay is so good with so many weapons that you'll never see it repetitive and the graphics in this game is so awesome really really good so what i didn't like about this game is pretty much the whole story was predictable and the new dante isn't that bad but what frustrated me is that in a scene a blue fake hair lands on his head and he became very much like the older dante and then he says not in a million year i saw that as an insult to the fans of the series in the end loved the game play loved the graphhics and the story is not that good but still satisfying Expand
  80. Apr 28, 2013
    I'll be quick....
    +Fun game play =)
    +Creative =)
    +Amazing, and sometimes crazy level design. xD
    -Story could have been a lot better, i really mean it.
  81. Jun 11, 2013
    "Oh they changed his hair" grow up fanboys! Seriously, why do so many people hate this game, it doesnt even matter if its this much fun!!! YAAAAAAY! 10/10
  82. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm going start off by saying that i have played dmc 1 and 3 and enjoyed both very much. Now for this game, i know it is being criticized for not being true to the older games and i agree that in some ways it is unfaithful to the old franchise. But, i feel that the people who say that this game is bad are only comparing it to the original dmcs, and not for what it is: a good game. If youI'm going start off by saying that i have played dmc 1 and 3 and enjoyed both very much. Now for this game, i know it is being criticized for not being true to the older games and i agree that in some ways it is unfaithful to the old franchise. But, i feel that the people who say that this game is bad are only comparing it to the original dmcs, and not for what it is: a good game. If you forget about the first dmcs and just look at the game you will see how good it is. The combat is fluid, deep, and immensely fun, the story is very decent, and the the environment (limbo) is varied and often mind blowing. Even if you dont like new dante, that doesnt mean this game is bad Expand
  83. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  84. Jul 17, 2013
    This is my first DMC game so I had no previous opinion of the series. The game was amazing fun, the music is great, medium difficulty is hard enough so you don't cut through demons like butter but the levels are easy enough to complete in an attempt or two. When you die you know that it was your own fault and not the game bugging out or moves not being registered. I will say that duringThis is my first DMC game so I had no previous opinion of the series. The game was amazing fun, the music is great, medium difficulty is hard enough so you don't cut through demons like butter but the levels are easy enough to complete in an attempt or two. When you die you know that it was your own fault and not the game bugging out or moves not being registered. I will say that during the platforming sequences the camera can sometimes turn at odd angles and leave you to fall to your doom but these instances are few and far between. The characters are all awesome and Dante really feels like the bad-ass that he should be. Graphics are pretty good and the game seems well optimized, my 670 handled DMC on ultra without any hiccups. Over all this is a stellar game! Defiantly worth a pickup on steam. Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2013
    Fan of the Devil May Cry series. Picked this up off of Steam when it was on sale. Have to hand it to the Ninja Theory developers, they made a very compelling reboot. Enjoyed the new Dante and Virgil, they both were very well written. Combat was fast paced and as entertaining as its predecessors. Overall I give it a 10/10
  86. Nov 2, 2013
    Wonderful action game. Really makes an impression on me every time i play it. Always have to cut play time shorter than would I like to, and for me,its the most enjoyable game I have played this year.
  87. Dec 14, 2013
    Данте.
    Как нечистью.
    И атак.
    ТАК ВООБРАЖЕНИЕ!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  88. Jan 5, 2014
    I found new dante quite likable! he may not be as good as original, but still no problems with him. action in this game is perfect i played on pc port os great on gaming laptop with geforce gtx 680m it was running 60 fps stable on ultra most pc gamers have much better rigs so optimisation is very good, story is great and this game has 6.6 it should have at least 8 so i voted 10 great game,I found new dante quite likable! he may not be as good as original, but still no problems with him. action in this game is perfect i played on pc port os great on gaming laptop with geforce gtx 680m it was running 60 fps stable on ultra most pc gamers have much better rigs so optimisation is very good, story is great and this game has 6.6 it should have at least 8 so i voted 10 great game, very fun i recommend! Expand
  89. Jan 10, 2014
    As I have never played a devil may cry game before, I started this game with a very open mind. I'm not a novice as most of my all time favourite games are third person fighters. I Just finished the game and I have to say it's the best of it's type I've ever played, even better then God of war 3 which was my favourite fighting game of all time(yes that's right, I used to be a PS3 player butAs I have never played a devil may cry game before, I started this game with a very open mind. I'm not a novice as most of my all time favourite games are third person fighters. I Just finished the game and I have to say it's the best of it's type I've ever played, even better then God of war 3 which was my favourite fighting game of all time(yes that's right, I used to be a PS3 player but I heard of the master race and had to be a part of it). That said, the PC version is the way to go as it offers better graphics and yet is still able to achieve very high frame rates due to the game being very well optimised. Overall the game isn't perfect as my score suggests but it's better then a 9 so I rounded up to try and boost the user score a bit as it's far to low! For anyone who has managed to read this far, in case you haven't picked up the message yet... BUY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  90. May 23, 2014
    I really had some serious doubts this game would be good enough. I have played dmc 1,3 and 4. This game might look a little bit easternish compered to other anime style japanese ones. But it definetly deserves the attention dmc 5 would have.

+ beautiful visuals + epic soundtrack and voice acting. + optimised and fluid gameplay. - a little bit easier than older games but it might

+ beautiful visuals
    + epic soundtrack and voice acting.
    + optimised and fluid gameplay.

- a little bit easier than older games but it might be because of my awesome skills got better and better in time :)
  91. Jan 26, 2013
    It's a shame so many people are giving this a negative review without even playing it. That's like Amazon reviewers giving a product a 0 because of a shipping issue. Garbage...

I've been a fan of the series since 1 and have played every one since then. I wouldn't call myself a die hard fan, but maybe that's a good thing looking at these terrible fanboy negative reviews. As a game, I

As a game, I thought it played great! Ninja Theory did an excellent job of paying tribute to the original series (from gameplay, story, visuals, etc.) without it being an "abomination" as some call it. Combat was fluid and felt visceral which is what DmC shines at. I actually liked the story and VO better than the original series. The old games came off a bit cheesy here and there, whereas DmC has a more down to earth approach.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a solid game and looks amazing on my HTPC with the great PC version framerate. Looking forward to the sequel! :)
  92. Jan 27, 2013
    I really can't understand why people are having so much hate on this title. They are retards, seriously. It's a god damn reboot, more like spin-off or smth, not a next game with linked plot like in other 4 games. So, i gave this game 10, just because i don't want to see it underrated. Ninja Theory did a great job with it, the game looks stylish and beautiful and all the heroes are lookingI really can't understand why people are having so much hate on this title. They are retards, seriously. It's a god damn reboot, more like spin-off or smth, not a next game with linked plot like in other 4 games. So, i gave this game 10, just because i don't want to see it underrated. Ninja Theory did a great job with it, the game looks stylish and beautiful and all the heroes are looking good and pretty attractive. Stop hating this, i really enjoyed new DmC, it's the best slasher game i have ever played in last 4 years, so.. yeah. I don't know about consoles, i don't have one, i am talking about PC now. Peace out. Expand
  93. GNZ
    Jan 27, 2013
    No matter what the internet haters would spout out before playing the actual game itself, this game IS a Devil May Cry game at heart, as a long time fan of the series itself, I was impressed by this breath of fresh air that Ninja Theory have given t o the series.

The combat is fast and fluid and fast just like the previous games, it is a little more simplified in some aspects, but at the same time the combat is mixed up with certain enemies that can only be affected by certain weapons, this in turn has you dodging some enemies whilst using a certain weapon on one enemy that has no effect on the other two behind you, which all in all adds a nice twist to the combat ... rather than having you simply stand there using the axe for everything, as most people would have you believe.

The gameplay is fun, gone is the backtracking, the platforming sections are pretty fun for what they are and the levels as well as limbo itself are beautiful to look at.

The complaints about the game being built on the unreal engine are laughable, the game runs fine, looks ace doing it, and plays just as smoothly as any other Devil May Cry game.

My only personal complaint, the Succubus fight, the writing for that boss fight ... was poor, and not down to the new Dante, infact the insanely foul mouth was the boss, it was a bit over the top on the swearing and such in that scene in my opinion.

I was interested in the game ever since the first reveal trailer and was impressed with how it turned out, a bit easier than previous titles, but to be fair, most games these days are far easier than they used to be.

If you're even thinking about it, don't think, just buy it, and give the game a chance, you'll soon see that all the hate and slander the game gets is miss-placed, the new Dante is far from an "edgy emo" that everyone seems to cry about... either way, try the game and make your own decisions which would be more than most are doing, which is tearing into a game from a few vid's and screenshots they've seen, taking everything out of context and reviewing something they have not even touched first hand.
  94. Feb 20, 2013
    What can i say: just freaking awesome game after 8 hours i finally finished and it was worth every minute spent on it. Pros 1. PC Port 10/10 there are no camera problems, you can change your controls, graphics, everything you need just to enjoy the game 2.Graphics i was really impressed by how the game looks and performs,
  95. Feb 3, 2013
    Great game..
    I am impresed. I never played any Devil may cry game. I think 9/10 are objective.

Pros:
    +combat system
    +good story
    +atmosphere
    +soundtrack(fu**ing great soundtrack)

cons
    -hmm, I don't know... but there are some I think
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    Overall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combatOverall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combat system is very good overall. Tons of options regarding how you play due to having 8 weapons available at all times by the end of the game, and each weapon having several upgradeable/learn-able abilities. Certainly not classic DMC action, but there are 4 games that hold up perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for. If you're a fan of the series (like me) or a newcomer to action games there's a lot of fun to be had here, so long as you're willing to put up with a lackluster story. But I don't really know anyone who plays action games, let alone Devil May Cry, for the story. Expand
  97. Jan 26, 2013
    I rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the actionI rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the action perfectly and a battle system, that surpasses any of the previous ones and it is a blast to experiment with. I'd have given it 9/10, but I'm giving it 10 to compensate for the haters. If you're and action game fan, get it! Expand
  98. Feb 5, 2013
    Im a huge Devil May Cry fan and must admit,i was bit skeptical when Capcom decided to outsource DmC to Ninja Thoery but the end product is too awesome to warrant a purchase.The only downside is Dante does look alot like Cristiano Ronaldo and Vergil's a taller version of Messi.Kudos to NT
  99. Feb 7, 2013
    This is a very good game. I really don't understand all the criticism. Graphics are decent, artwork is great, story is a bit predictable but then again good v bad always is. Lots of customizations. Extra levels for the keys you find. Voice acting OK. Music by Noisia pretty good. I have played DMC games before and this doesn't stand out negatively. The comments regarding 'its not the realThis is a very good game. I really don't understand all the criticism. Graphics are decent, artwork is great, story is a bit predictable but then again good v bad always is. Lots of customizations. Extra levels for the keys you find. Voice acting OK. Music by Noisia pretty good. I have played DMC games before and this doesn't stand out negatively. The comments regarding 'its not the real Dante any more' really remind me of Mass Effect 3 backlash. Unfair. Expand
  100. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  101. Jun 22, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.