6.7

1. Oct 29, 2013
    it's a really great game. Perfect action sequences, cut-scenes, gameplay. The only reason I gave it 9 but not 10 is the controls. it feels a little beat freaky to play via keyboard mouse (long jumps are most annoying). didn't play the previous DMC games, but strongly recommend it to everyone. Ninja Theory just made their best game ever cheers!)
  2. Oct 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I loved Devil May Cry, hated Devil May Cry 2, and never got back into the series, so I have yet to play 3 or 4. With DMC: Devil May Cry, I saw a game attempting to reinvent a stale franchise and originally purchased it on PS3. I played it for 4-5 hours but me being me, I got distracted by Guild Wars 2 for months on end and ended up selling it back. With the recent steam sale putting it on sale for 12 bucks I purchased it again, only this time with glorious fluidity that this game deserves at 80 FPS, and ultra graphic settings, only amplified with the beauty of SweetFX. My, what a game. The battle system is beautifully crafted, the fluid movement from combo to combo is amazing compared to the repetitive bore that is the God of War franchise. The reward of chaining together combos and not mashing buttons to get the highest possible score reminded me of why I loved the original so much. The design and set pieces were top notch and beautifully done. The boss fights were very entertaining adding the scope of the mega bosses needed to make it feel epic, along with combining the battle system and set pieces to add motion and thought to each and every boss making them very entertaining compared to the usual mash X button until your enemy is dead, the Bob Barbus fight was just freaking amazing. As for the story, I was genuinely surprised and entertained by everything they did with the story and the changes they made in regards to re-imagining the story in a new modern way. The game goes about in a very matter of fact tone progressing from mission to mission developing characters while keeping things light and not overly serious. The game had it's fair share of laughs and silly humor not intended for young children, or for boring old geezers whom are prim and proper, though towards the end the game does tighten up and become more serious as the climax comes closer. As for the music, it suited the game design. Fast and fluid during the boss fights, and ambient in the background when you are trying to concentrate, but nothing that I would point out as something truly groundbreaking, just a good job in staying true to the game. Regarding characters, the redesign of Dante was something I was in favor of. His look matches his personality, a delinquent bad ass, and I thought his personality was spot on for the type of game they were trying to create. If I was disappointed in anyone, it was Virgil. He was just, okay, I didn't fall in love with him. I have yet to play the DLC with him but maybe that will change how I feel about him, but overall he was a very mediocre character. Kat on the other hand I grew to love. Her personality and general attitude grew on me, along with her design and the way they progressed her throughout the game. but Kat I really grew to like. As for Mundus, I like that they tried to make him a part of the game and develop him as a real threat, even adding in tidbits of emotion into his character and not painting him as a stone faced demon lord with no care in the world.

Overall, I found the game to be very enjoyable, with a well crafted story, beautiful graphics, and extremely fun game play.

Graphics 9/10
    Sound 7.5/10
    Story 8.5/10
    Gameplay 9.5/10
    Characters 8.5/10

Overall: 8.6/10
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so call me one of the "haters" of this game ever since it was announced. It's a good game, there, I said it. However, there ARE problems with it, and there ARE SPOILERS in this review.

The gameplay, while being Ninja Theory's best attempt so far, is simply not up to par with a Devil May Cry game. There are some baffling design choices, like the removal of a lock-on (which is even more crazy with the sheer amount of flying enemies there are) the colored enemies (namely when they throw blue ones at you since you can just beat the other enemies, save the blue one for last but it's boring because you can just combo it to oblivion since there's no worries of being knocked out of a combo, but they take forever to kill because angel weapons are so weak) and the style meter. (which has been slightly adjusted since the game came out but it's still far too easy to get a SSS and maintain it.) The heavily scripted platforming also makes a game series which has always rewarded multiple playthroughs a drag on multiple playthroughs, because you already know the solution to each platforming sequence.

Now then, onto the story. It's complete and utter garbage, especially considering one of the reasons Capcom even asked Ninja Theory to make Devil May Cry was because of their storytelling. The writing is childish and seems like something you would see out of a fanfiction (Ninja Theory hopping on that Nephilim bandwagon!) and Dante just comes across as a loud jerk, while Vergil comes off as somebody who does NOTHING WHATSOEVER DURING THE ENTIRE GAME. He was one of the best written characters in both the original Devil May Cry (even with NO dialogue whatsoever, what does that tell you?) and in Devil May Cry 3, even though Devil May Cry 3 by all accounts had a very generic storyline, but it WAS executed well.

Okay, so Vergil basically has no personality whatsoever in this game despite the fact Mundus killed his and Dante's mother, and imprisoned Sparda indefinitely. He shows no "anger" towards Mundus, or barely any enthusiasm about anything, even when he learns of Mundus' unborn child and subsequently murders it during the infamous hostage exchange sequence. Dante at least shows some emotion, despite how badly written and crude it is at times. Vergil however is literally a blank slate. Sure, some people will say that Vergil is just displaying how calm and collected he was, but he's just written badly, there's no ifs ands or buts about it. Dante's writing seems like a masterpiece in comparison to Vergil, despite how pointlessly crude he's written like they first discovered that swear words existed. I will say, not all the characters are written badly, but out of the three main characters, Kat, Vergil and Dante are for the most part written very poorly. The voice actors' performance is also nothing special.

The best characters, in order of how good they are go like this: Bob Barbas (Just doing God's work) Mundus and Lilith. (and their voice actors are fairly good, they manage to convey some real emotion.)

For all of the buildup to confronting Mundus also the boss fight was very underwhelming, as were most of the boss fights in the game, they feel more like something that belongs in a platformer than a Devil May Cry game. (all 6 of them) Vergil is the most DMC like boss fight, but is still very underwhelming because he's laughably easy even on Dante Must Die. The best boss fight in the game was Bob Barbas, hands down, and I absolutely think he was the best character in the game period.

Also, Vergil's heel turn at the end is unbelievably stupid and comes out of left field. People told me that it was building up to it, but god no they didn't build up to it at all. Kat willingly let herself be taken in by the SWAT team during the raid on The Order so that Vergil and Dante could get away, and some people will say Vergil didn't give a damn when he was starting a firefight during the hostage exchange (but conveniently all of the bullets shot by both sides managed to miss Kat despite the fact she was hobbling to the car, YAY PLOT ARMOR!)

Oh, and by the way, you beat Vergil in Devil Trigger, and when Dante comes out of Devil Trigger during the cutscene, his hair is inexplicably white permanently. No explanation, no fanfare, no nothing. Not even any comments from Vergil or Kat like "Hey, your hair looks different" or "Hey bro, it looks good white."

In short, I like the game, but it could literally be called anything but Devil May Cry, and there'd be no controversy, no intense scrutiny of the game, no nothing, and it would probably be enjoying good sales. If Ninja Theory can improve the writing, improve some of the gameplay in the sequel if it garners enough sales for a sequel, I'll probably happily buy it and give it a more favorable review.
  4. Feb 5, 2013
    AVERAGE that's all I can say. I have to be honest and say I haven't played any other DMC games but I was disappointed in this one even though I don't have anything to compare it to. Nothing revolutionary at all. Just a standard hack n slash with some weapon and ability upgrades. The game itself is way too easy and there just aren't enough enemies on the screen to make it engaging enough. Dante is also an obnoxious arrogant self-absorbed tool I couldn't stand some of his dialogue. Waste of 6-8 hours when I look back on it, I could have been playing something better. Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    Combat sytem is fine. Storyline sucks Dante is as hell and not the funny type of either. Just annoying. What happened to the fun and charming one-liners of the old Dante? What happened to the bad ass comebacks he would give to all the devils that stood in his way? His dialogue/script in this game is terrible and feels foreign. This isn't the Dante we've been used to. Dante's new model sucks baboon buttocks. They change his style and make fun of the original with the lame-*** wig comment on the 1st Mission. Dafaq is that?

This game is a slap to the face to DMC fans everywhere.

And why the does Devil Trigger have to launch everyone in the air? That's just plain annoying and the color scheme that comes along when you activate it makes it hard to see the enemies. This just begs for you to use the Aquila combo to gather the enemies up again.

And finally, the boss battles are sub-par to say the least. The mechanics are extremely cliche with mostly just hit and run tactics. I never got an adrenaline rush like I used to. The soundtracks weren't as amazing and blood boiling as they used to be. The final boss gave me a BIT of a rush but it wasn't anything close to the previous games in the series.

So many things wrong with this game. I'm just glad at least the combos and fighting pace are good. Not worth $50.
  6. Feb 7, 2013
    This isn't a perfect game, but its not as overly terrible as everyone makes it out to be and it most certainly isn't a gem. First off, the "bad" of this game, which are quite obvious: Design, Writing, Difficulty, and small game play elements. While there are some interesting platforming segments, the overall look and feel of this game isn't appealing, and just comes off as a bright light show. Writing is where this game takes its toll, with dialogue that is so horrid that I end up face palming every time. The way these characters are implemented into this new reboot is a disgrace to their original counter-parts, and the story isn't anything spectacular as expected. This game isn't difficult at all, and even on the game's supposed "hard" mode, it felt like normal mode. Some game play elements, such as no lock-on and sometimes frustrating camera can be an annoyance to any player. But what I was most disappointed in with the game play elements, was the fact that the game shoves the new weapons to you so quick, that you aren't able to have the time to master them. Also, Devil Trigger is just a free get-out-of-jail card.

The "good" of this game? Game play. It feels as a Devil May Cry game should, with some new additions. The game plays smooth on a PC with the right specs, don't bother with the console version where you're given half of the experience. If you actually take the time to practice, you can make some pretty combos with the variety of weapons given. Platforming is actually good in this game, and although it is brain dead easy, its pretty entertaining in some segments.

Final thoughts: Again, Its not a completely terrible game. From what I've heard, Ninja Theory have made some pretty great games with deep narrative, but this game isn't one of them. It has it's flaws, but at the very least I suggest you give it a try and see if it'll change your mind. You'll find something enjoyable at the least.

P.S.: Ninja Theory, that white wig joke wasn't funny.

Also, to the people criticizing a game they haven't played, and created accounts just to make the score sink for this game. You guys are pathetic.
  7. Feb 11, 2013
    Nice fight game... Not classic DMC but modern, and much better in my opinion. Optimisation is great, on my Athlon x3 450 and GTX460 running at 80 FPS on very high You can relax at this game easily.
  8. Feb 13, 2013
    Okey, so I´ve been playing this game for around five hours. Sure, I can say that I never have been much for hack and slash. But I loved the older DMC games! I feel that they wanted too much with this game, they wanted the old style from DMC but they also wanted to add a lot of thing, personely I think it´s way too much things to keep track on. All from the weapons, wips and skills. In the end I just mashed X-button, to get rid of the mobs. The mobs are so boring, they don´t even look intresting. But the bosses, ohh mama! They were really nice, especially the voice acting! I remember the old days, playing DMC with the stiff camera, those were the days. Expand
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    Okay, first of all: I DONT LIKE THE NEW DANTE, they made him such a jackass Anyway im sick of these 1 out of 10 rates from the community, you guys really dont know what a 1 out of 10 game looks like....

The graphics are fine for me, gameplay is smooth, easy and fun, the story is well...... not that bad.

Hardcore DMC fans probably hate this reboot
  10. Mar 28, 2013
    I loved this game. A lot. I really dug the alternate take on the story and characters, and the combat, though adjusted a little differently, still feels very much like a Devil May Cry game at its core. It's not the best Devil May Cry game, but it's DEFINITELY better than the insufferable DMC2 and the stale DMC4. Don't buy into the fanboyism and give this one a try. You might dig it.
  11. Feb 15, 2013
    You'll either love it or hate it, with few in the middle ground. Graphically, it's sound, and game play is smooth. It's linear with little exploration more of a tunnel and enemies can force you into utilizing specific weaponry which can render some aspects of the combat repetitious. It contains profanity which seems more excessive than necessary in that the language loses impact/emotion but not to the extent of tourette syndrome Still, with it's generous style point reward and ease of execution, the game brings a new generation into the Devil May Cry universe. Expand
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    DMC have personally been associated with the charismatic blond Dante. Developers have destroyed a great series of games. All that remained at the level: it's graphics, fun carnage and good music.
    This is not the DMC that once was.
  13. Mar 11, 2013
    I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised. The gameplay, although easier, is brilliant and made me forget about the new characters and the arguably mediocre plot very quickly. The level design is gorgeous and Combichrist really made an awesome job on the aggressive soundtrack. The guitar in the combat themes will make you feel like a badass. There are two things (well, aside for Dante's behaviour in the beginning) that annoyed the crap out of me: the lack of a lock on feature (this NEEDS to be patched, especially if they're planning on releasing future DLCs) and the way they pictured Sparda. From invincible overpowered hero to...well...useless Also, I don't understand why they removed the taunting option. From a technical point of view I'd say the game is nearly perfect, with very few to no bugs (at least, that's my experience), amazing graphics and responsive controls. A quality porting...not something I'm used to, especially when it comes to this kind of games. Overall, although I initially hated to admit it, I had a lot of fun with this game. While playing it's clear as day that the developers put a lot of effort and hard work into it and that's not something you see very often nowadays so I take my hat off before NT's developers and artists, as well as Noisia and Combichrist. It's good to see some people still care about what they do. My rating would be 7/7.5 if we look at it as a Devil May Cry game but a solid 8.5 if we consider it as a normal hack'n slash. In any case, it's worth a try. P.S. Now I would like to see a game in the original Devil May Cry universe, Capcom...pretty please? lol Expand
  14. Feb 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry (what the hell is with the title? 2 DMCs?) I have never played DMC before until now. From start to finish I only had questions racing through my mind time and again on the several plotholes in this game that didn't seemed filled.

Graphics Top notch all the visuals in this game are truly amazing. It was extremely pleasing to the eyes.

Story First one is
    how does Limbo work? One minute it affects your surroundings and anything the demons destroy there it is destroyed in the real world. Ok makes sense this is a plain where demons can be summoned to and you fight them here. Then we get the the mansion and that concept goes straight out the window as everything is torn apart and destroyed. I didn't believe it thought I was overthinking things then I got to the Warehouse and knew it to be true as the warehouse grew 90x it's size that day. It doesn't end there. The characters are awful. Dante is one minute a badass then next a caring guy then next he's a sad lil emo kid. Vergil who magically got his memories back is just an now. Mundus is a dumbass. If he went to Dante's families home and saw pictures all over the place... wouldn't he know of Vergil's existence...? Kat looks like she was thrown in for a love interest for Dante. I mean she can be completely removed and her role can be taken by Vergil pretty much. So she is... useless.

Gameplay Amazing! Truly awesome. Controls are flawless and easy to use. It was easy to control and I picked up on it really fast. Flawless movements too makes it look like he's swinging the sword so the motion capture here was top notch! Can't get better than this. Camera was never an issue. No lock-on though made it hard to fight because those flying things could be a pain in the ass. The ranking system though is... easy? Really easy. Don't think I got anything below S once on my 3 playthroughs.

Difficulty This game was easy until I put it on Hell on Hell mode but, what the hell do you expect when a games AI can one shot you.

Length/Replayable Length is reasonable. I got about 6 or 7 hours of play on my first run and it is replayable of course because of all the stuff you can grab and unlock on your next playthrough. Plus unlocking the harder difficulties to play as you get these unlockables makes it a tad more challenging but not too much in my opinion.

So 3 out of the 5 things I look for in a game were solid giving this game a 6 out of 10. It's not perfect but it's something alright.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    Even though the dumb Devil May Cry fanboys can't seem to read, this DmC REBOOT (just pointing out that it's a REBOOT, DMCfans. Reboot.) is one of the visually best games of the year so far, with extremely fun gameplay, an amazing storyline and tons of replayability.
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    DmC was a fantastic reboot to a series that has constantly reinvented itself. I have followed the series closely and do not see the reasons for all the harsh criticism. I was wary of the game creating another prequel to a series that never seems to truly advance in its plot line. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the plot in DmC deviating slightly from the original. It created a realistic Dante and Vergil and introduced something the series has been lacking: CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Onto the gameplay. The revamped combo system far outshines any previous Devil May Cry being able to quickly slap between weapons, while maintaining move canceling. The loss of the lock on system was actually quite pleasant since it meant never having to hold a button and all-in-all the autolock was almost never wrong. The level designs were far more imaginative than the typical gothic castles.

I did find DmC lacking in replay value, a problem that has plagued Devil May Cry for some time. Also as enjoyable as the plot was, it is seriously annoying to have another prequel to a series that has had one already. Looking at the game as a whole it was great and extremely enjoyable
  17. May 23, 2014
    I loved this reboot of the DMC series. Also, people need to calm down about the Young Dante, it's a "REBOOT" if they started it where they left off then it wouldn't be a reboot, it'd be a continuation. I do admit this game has many flaws of what Dante, and Vergil originated from and the dialogue is the same as always, awkward and too cheesy. This games story that began it all, really doesn't make much sense but don't try to **** me and say the DMC series has had a good story. I'd recommend this to you if you wanted to pass about 12 hours, haha. It's an averagely good game. Expand
  18. Mar 28, 2013
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring game. Monsters, nothing else. City damages very pretty by scripts and taht's all.
  19. Sep 11, 2013
    Having an unbiased opinion, (I have never paid attention to the previous Devil May Cry Games in any way) I can say that DmC is an amazingly fun game. It's fast-paced, looks fantastic and has an awesome atmosphere, owed to by it's great soundtrack. The combat is designed well and allows any amateur with enough brain cells to slash through the demonic horde, but more fiendish difficulties and a mind-boggling combo system will keep veterans playing and improving for months. The story is also quality. Coherent and refreshingly simple. The only flaw of this game is that a couple of boss fights feel rushed and stuck together with jam, but the rest are memorable occasions. Overall a great action game for all action game fans. Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    Just because of a change in style does not make a game bad. Dmc is a very fun game, it really engages you trying to keep that combo and making your fights stylish. Dante carries a very wide range of weapons, each with their own unique abilities. I also like how some enemies are vulnerable to only certain abilities, making you have to switch. The story feels much more creative and unique than the previous devil may cry games. Camera controls feel less quirky than in Dmc 4.
    I would like to see some harder difficulty levels though. DmC would be better than the previous dmcs if it could match its difficulty level, which made the previous versions very intense.
  21. Apr 11, 2013
    As an action paced game, this game manage to play out like games of its genre while trying to differentiate itself with on the fly weapon switching using shoulder buttons. However, combat is very simple in this game and it indulges the player with long fancy combos with minimal effort. The simplified combat system eliminates any form of challenge and causes combat to remain stagnant due to tried and tested 'simple repeating combos with maximum damage'

As a sequel to the DMC franchise, this game is a terrible reboot to the fabled franchise. Gone are the complex combos and likeable/interesting characters. In its place, a boring stereotypical 'punk' type character with bland simple button pressing combos. Targeting has also been removed which can cause problems at times and boss fights are too predictable. Overall, this reboot has smeared what the original franchise stood for and pays dearly for it (sales records perform way worst than any other dmc game)
  22. Apr 18, 2013
    Definitely liked it better than the others but the action got a bit stale toward the end. The camera pissed me off and so did the platforming segments. The presentation and story is what made me grin and bear it. Loved the ending.
  23. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think I mistakenly clicked NO on a comment I wanted to click YES, but I don't think it is worth a 10. First of all, I haven't played DMC since 1 and 2, but I played 3 and 4 and I confess that this new DmC is pretty good! Yes, I got pissed when they changed Dante, but oh well, marketing strategies are marketing strategies. The new Dante seems to have more character than the old ones IMO. I actually wished there were more scenes showing Dante kicking ass all around showing his stylishness like 3 and 4, but when you play it you feel that he is good at "playing rough" (Like he mentions on the second mission).
    Like all other DMC games, game is consisted of missions. If you are used to playing this kind of game, you'll finish the initial mode in 10 hours or so, so that you unlock more difficulties, and this is where the series starts to spread its wings.
    About DmC combat specifically, I think that the combat system is still very nice, but the lack of a "lock-on" button made me do a lot of mistakes since I was used to the old system. That's maybe just me, though. Also, double tapping into directions to do specific moves is kinda hard on the PC, I almost didn't use the Stinger, my favorite move of all DMC games. That may be me again, though. I played DMC4 after playing this and I kinda felt like arriving home with a partner "It's good to be back with you". Not that I didn't really like the new system, but I still prefer the old one.
    About the story, I like it. It made sense Dante didn't have white hair at first. And once you finish the game, guess white?! YEA, HE HAS ALL WHITE HAIR NOW! See, it didn't hurt that much playing with him having dark hair, did it? I bought the "Classic Dante" skin but that really doesn't look a lot like old Dante, but I mostly use it. Anyways, back to the plot. I liked it. For a reboot is makes sense, it has its interesting parts, and an almost predictable turnout at the ending if you already know that Dante must ALWAYS fight Vergil.
    I must confess that when I first bought the game I thought it wouldn't run on my notebook (a thing from 2011) but when I lowered nearly all settings, the game run smoothly, and man, was it still beautiful to watch! I give extra credits for that. I play with all settings in low, low resolution, and the visuals are impresive. I don't regret at all this reboot, but I still would prefer if they launched a DMC5 or anything like it. I mean, there are like 8 different parallel Spider-Mans, why not Dantes?
    About the DLCs, I wish there were more content to get, like skins, there could be a LOT more skins, and or all devil arms! There is like only one pack of 3 different skins for 3 guns. Always the shotgun, a Scythe he get's when having contact with his mother's essence (an Angel) and the Axe he gets when he has contact with his father (Sparda, a Demon). And only one pack of 3 Dante's skins. I still liked mainly the Classic, though it doesn't really look a lot like the classic, I guess it's because on DMC4 he got older and stronger, and this one still looks like a "Rooster weight fighter".
    Also, I got the "expansion" Vergil's Downfall, when you play with Vergil! What an experience! Playing with Vergil is way more challenging to master, and I liked it!

So, overall. The combat is sometimes frustrating and you may do wrong moves. The camera sometimes don't help much. Achievements are always cool. The Story and Voice acting are very good (this boosts up the experience very much). The graphics are very beautiful and the Limbo world (a "demonically distorted" version of our world) is very creative and interesting to watch as you go through the missions. I just wished there was fight in the normal world too. The progression is nice and if you have a gaming mouse with a few extra buttons changing weapons to increase combat style points will become easier!
    I think it diserves a solid 9. If you played the other series, just go and play it. You will enjoy the fights and the world linear exploring with hidden missions and artifacts to collect.
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is a third person action game with some pretty art design and a good story. The game is very stylish and the characters are very interesting. Combat is great with lots of variation in weapons and combos and enemies are fun to fight and bosses are even better. The platforming is very smooth and responsive most of the time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is look for a stylish new action platformer game with a good story. Expand
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    Well the Idea of changing the game was not bad, but....
    First things first: The good thing is, the leveldesing is amazing, the soundtrack is great, the enemys are different.
    But on the other hand, the original Dante and Vergil in DMC 3 are unmatchable... There will never be a better Devil May Cry then the third part.
  26. Aug 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot for Ninja Theory to renew this fantastic saga. I've played them all and I have to say my favorite is three. In this game, Dante, rejuvenated, discovers his past that makes us think that it is a prequel to the other games since they do not know who remembers his family. Really recommended.
  27. ah6
    Jun 28, 2013

28. Jul 17, 2013
    This is not Devil May Cry in any way, the only thing that resembles DMC in any way is the title and the names of the characters. Yes the story is better but all of the characters have been BUTCHERED. Dante is a swearing Teen who randomly flips off and swears at demons in any chance he can get, the original Dante was awesome by not swearing and being funny by taunting demons in a good humored way. Vergil just feels that humanity is below him and feels that he should rule over them, instead of the original Vergil's quest for power, I am fine with the new Vergil. Sparda has it the worst, instead of being a demon who sacrificed his life to save the human race, he is now known as the demon that banged an Angel. Devil May Cry games gave us a great challenge, but now this game is one of the easiest games I have ever played. The music is not metal anymore it is now a metal like techno, I like to call it mechno I know it sounds like metal but if you check out the soundtrack then you would know. This game was okay but it is not Devil May Cry the character is awful, not just because he's a husk of Dante, but because he is a horrible character in general, buy the DMC HD collection get this game if you are not a fan of the original like me. Its sad to see my favorite franchise turn into this. Expand
  29. Jul 20, 2013
    Fan of the Devil May Cry series. Picked this up off of Steam when it was on sale. Have to hand it to the Ninja Theory developers, they made a very compelling reboot. Enjoyed the new Dante and Virgil, they both were very well written. Combat was fast paced and as entertaining as its predecessors. Overall I give it a 10/10
  30. Aug 8, 2013
    Its a fantastic game.
    Its intelligent, exciting, funny, with incredibly artistic dsign, but just better watch some gameplay to see it by yourself Im not really good at writing reviews
    Nevermind the absurd fanboysm crying, I cant understand all tha hate towards this game, Its a shame because this game is amazing. this game is a piece of art Its beautiful.
  31. Aug 2, 2013
    Wielu zamartwiało się nad odnowieniem tak popularnej serii hack'n slashów. Twórcy podeszli do tego porządnie, i sprostali zadaniu jak najlepiej mogli. Piękna grafika, wciągająca fabuła i straasznie przyjemna grywalność pozwala mi mówić o jak na razie najlepszej grze roku. Twórcy jak najbardziej rozbudowali DmC. Dali wiele broni, wiele rodzajów przeciwników jak i wiele ciekawych miejscówek. Przy tej grze po prostu nie da się nudzić. Tak jakby, bo końcówkę gry twórcy strasznie przedłużali i nie zaskakiwali pomysłami. Gra ma do tego mniejsze wady. Pewne tekstury nie wyglądają na dopracowane, jednak nie przeszkadza to cieszyć się z tej świetnej gry. Jak na razie, gra roku. Moja ocena 9/10 Expand
  32. Mar 2, 2014
    First game in the Devil May Cry series I have ever played and I must say it was so damn addictive and it never let me go. It easily became my new favourite game, better than anything I have every played! I aced the game in like 1 day because it was so fun and there's actually more re-playability than you would think. I played it on easy the first time because it was my first DmC, and now I'm doing it on medium and planning to maybe do it on hard too! Definitely would recommend! Expand
  33. Feb 28, 2014
    This is my game of 2013, I'm playing it for the fourth time now. Why? Well:

The Design: I love the way the "daemon" worlds is build on top of a modern city. That way there is a lot of viarity while the game is always maintaining a fitting mood. The setting Is not necessarily unique, but surly vivid and keeps my interest for the longest time. The well chosen effects add their "WOW" in
    the right moments. Even the enemy and boss designs are kept at this level.

The Fight-system: Is fast-paced, slick, evolving, making space for a variety of fighting-styles. Even though easy to pick up there is lots of techniques that will take more then one play-throught master. For example changing weapons quickly is actually useful, even in boss-battles, air becomes your friend later on and using guns in the middle of a slashing-spree Is quite difficult but very useful when done right.

The Story: What do you expect from a slash em up? Well It's much better then that. Not that the overall story would have been ground breaking, but scenery are made with much love to the detail and the characters. For example the background story is being told while Dante and Virgil are walking across a yard and visualised by street-graffiti.

Unlocks: I'm not talking about Achievements here: What I love is the huge library of character and production artwork you will unlock over the time. I just love it, its well presented and of great quality. Also there Is no limit in hard-modes, there rewarding and different - so again replaying is fun!

If you're looking for a high quality slash 'n hack with allot of replay-value, then this game is for you!
  34. Nov 2, 2013
    Wonderful action game. Really makes an impression on me every time i play it. Always have to cut play time shorter than would I like to, and for me,its the most enjoyable game I have played this year.
  35. Apr 5, 2014
    The game is good but it's created 100% for consoles. The movement, the fights, everything. May be if I owned a console would play it, but after the first mission I uninstalled it.
  36. Dec 31, 2013
    So lets start off by saying that this game is better than most of the old DMC games, or on par with DMC3. The gameplay in this reboot is more fluid, the story and characters have more depth, and the level design is generally more intriguing than that of past installments. Combos are more fluid compared to that of the old DMCs, where everything flows together perfectly (if you know what you are doing). To be honest, being a near-veteran of the old DMCs, I look back and find that the old combat chopped along when you switched weapons, merely making the illusion of fluidity by having Dante attack freakishly fast. Lets first focus on the story: the plot and characters have way more depth than the past DMCs honestly (I've played through each about 20+ times), where Dante in the older games was just some badass, granted a cool one, he lacked any emotional depth other than: "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" The new Dante however actually has some true depth as a character who grows throughout the game, and do not worry, there is still some of the old Dante in this game for he is still sarcastic and badass, just rough around the edges. Although starting out as a bit of an emo (which you can't really blame him for) he soon comes to care about humanity, partly due to Kat, and take his role as humanity's protector, showing a true character development which the old DMCs never had, Dante will undoubtedly be even cooler in the next game as he is maturing, if only fans will give him a chance. Kat is also an engaging character as she actually has a role and influence on the characters, Dante in particular; unlike the old female roles in the DMC games, which aside from Lady in DMC3, was there for fan-serivce. Vergil is more interesting as well, in DMC3 he was merely some psychopath trying to gain power, but in this new game he goes from being a redeemable, although conniving, character to a hellbent enemy. The story is also generally deeper than any of the past installments, which consisted of 'oh no, some big demon threat on mankind, lets kill it,' in the new DmC the threat has been there, hidden before humanity's eyes, I won't ruin the story but there is much more depth to be found in the game among it's character and everything than there ever has been. Now onto the main part of DMC: the gameplay. As I have said the gameplay is fast and fluid, far more fluid than the past games, and what it lacks in speed it makes up for in style, which is really all that matters in DMC. The switching between weapons is often more fun than in past games since each weapon has it's own unique feel, the only choppy-ness in combat you may find is with the 'heavy-hitter' demon weapons, but even then the weapons generally match smoothly into combat. Anyone who hasn't been able to play well in DMC obviously just hasn't played other DMCs or generally is just bad as this kind of combat, because being a major DMC fan myself the transition to this games was easy, I was stringing together combos and getting S, SS, and SSS within the first 2-4 missions of the game (just like I did in the old ones). Many have complained about the auto-aiming, but I honestly find this funny since I rarely had any problem with it, except in the case where a ground enemy was under a flying one, which is rare, other than this all you do it point the control stick at the desired enemy, and there, you attack it. Some have also called the platforming clumsy, no, these people just suck, I never had a problem with the platforming, very rarely did I mess up and frankly the platforming was actually really cool and once again: fluid, fun, and fast. Frankly the platforming in the old DMCs was awful (however limited) do to the lack of proper movement and character frames, which is actually a true problem in the design of the old DMCs. All of this being said, the haters are just stuck in the past, and have no desire for a character with actual emotion, that of which all of humanity has. I have faith that Ninja Theory could continue to make an amazing and engaging series if the haters would just calm down and give them a chance. Besides, with how Capcom is being lately, *cough*Resident Evil 6*cough,* would we really want them to continue the series on their own? Expand
  37. Jan 11, 2014
    After being curious about the reboot, being a huge fan of the original 4 I must say it doesn't quite cut the cake when it comes to originality as far as its characters or fighting style. In the first hour I was furiously frustrated with the new layout for combat, two buttons for sword attacks drove me insane and NO FRICKEN LOCK ON BUTTON!!! On the plus side combos are more fluid and easier to accomplish giving you the feeling of being a total badass, with that being said though its feels more like a god of war fighting style totally deviating from the original (as to be expected) also holding triggers down to keep weapons equipped and the grabbers can be quite confusing at times and takes getting used to. Story wise, it's bland and very (rage against industry) over fighting The Lord of hell. Getting past the new Dante's appearance he's just tasteless saying every combination of **** and **** possible with boring one liners and the lack of goofiness of the original, he just seems like a slob sex addict pretty boy with powers opposed to the arrogant calm demon hunter badass I and most other fans had loved. Overall I will judge on the game it self with no ties to the original because its not the same. I'd say rent it if you liked god of war and you like to strive for insane combos and test your abilities. I don't suggest you buy unless you plan on doing more then one play through or if your hardcore with the previous games or they're fighting engine because you will be disappointed. And as for me personally, I'd give it 6 out of 10 just because I'd didn't have any major issues according to playability and because although disappointing it was an alright shot at a reboot but just too many dramatic changes to get a majority of old fans back Expand
  38. Apr 10, 2014
    Challenging, well built protagonist, huge variety of gameplay moves and attacks. The graphics are awesome and the story is non-realistic, but attractive. I guess it's none that I don't like, but it should be more.
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First i wish to say to many people that have posted their score in here that they are being stupid.
    I saw many 3 to even 0. You do not know what a rated 3 game feels like clearly.
    Many of you are **** because of the new Dante. I was kind sad at first because i liked the old one but don't come here and just say **** and give 0s without even playing.
    So let's talk about the game now.
    The level design is awesome and original.the combat feels fluid and realistic.
    Many are talking about being too easy and to them i tell: Show me you playing on hell and hell difficulty.
    They probably don't even know that exists.
    The graphics were above average.
    Not having a lock on system is a minor flaw, i didn't really had any problem with it.
    The story is not something awesome but it as its fair share of interesting concepts.
    While your doing your awesome combos and running around all the places you can hear the awesome music from combichrist and noisia
    So now to talk about the characters including the new dante.
    The new dante kind of portraits what the teenagers are nowadays, and don't forget that this is a reboot.
    I think they are just trying to create a starting point for dante, where he starts as this **** teen but as he gets older he starts to just have more respect and sense in his head leaving him close to the old dante that we know.His hair turned white with the achievement of his full demon potential, so now we just need to watch him evolve as a person.I think that this as already started with him going from not giving a **** on the beginning of the game and ending up caring about the human race and pledging to protect them from what is coming next.This is what i want and i think they are doing,
    Kat is basically there to provide a potential love interest and to give the fans what they think is a hot female. She could be so much more if they wanted her to be,like giving a little more about her nightmares and making us fell more attached to her.She does play a part in dante personality development i believe,
    Now to talk about the one which was the most disappointing to me,Vergil, He starts up as a good guy and nothing really wrong with that, but he just feels too weak, vergil was made to look badass right next to his brother but in here it showed vergil as weak and in need of protecting.I played vergil downfall so i know hes getting stronger but with that comes a new problem. Why the **** do they make vergil just **** out about everything.I don't believe that the strong,intelegent and honorable old vergil would aprove of this ****ty guy. The old vergil would come in and slap some sense into this guy.

I think is a great game overall and an awesome entry point to new players and a start for what the game could be.
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    I really tired to give this game a fair shake but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into it. I have admittedly played the older dmc games and enjoyed mainly the third one but I don't think that's the reason I didn't care for this one much. I did like the limbo city level design, everything twisting and becoming a parallel demonic world was pretty cool looking, and the platforming/semi quick time event sections weren't excessively tedious which can sometimes be a problem with this kind of game. The music was also very nice. Where the game fell short for me was the combat, it wasn't that I was so amazing at the game, it's that the game kept rewarding me for excessive mediocrity. I found the controls slightly awkward for a while (though that was more a problem on my end than with the game) but it didn't really matter, I found that attacking a target and switching weapons/attacks at random consistently yielded SSS combat rating for no apparent reason. I had done nothing fancy, I hadn't avoided getting hit that often but so long as I kept switching weapons the game was pretty sure I was amazing so what was the point of actually learning how to chain anything? Again it's not that it was too easy or that I was so great, I was getting hit and sometimes getting hit badly, the game just didn't seem to care. It is also awkward to have no lock on system so you kind of have to just face the general direction of what you want to hit and hope the game understands what you're trying to do. The story was kind of meh but let's be honest here no one is playing this game for the amazing narrative, they're playing it for the ability to stab a giant demon in the face with a magic sword which the game does deliver on. My only other problem was the character design and oddly enough new Dante wasn't my issue, it was everyone else. They all looked strange to me and my biggest gripe strangely was new Vergil, I think they were going for sleek, cool, level headed badass but ended up with well dressed, yet still somehow out of place douchebag. That's not a huge deal breaker but it was slightly bothersome. Overall it's a decent action game but it's nothing special or different and the lack of motivation to get any better at fighting things was a big turn off. Expand
  41. Mar 30, 2014
    The game is amazing. Game-play is without any doubt one of the best for me. It has great combos and various attacks which deals different amount of damage. I played the original games too, but Dante was a little over the top there. This reboot brings you to a modern days which makes it more realistic. Story line should have been a little longer but it beats playing all game in one tower (get the reference?) Expand
  42. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  43. Aug 27, 2014
    Capcom´s DMC: Devil May Cry consists of balanced elements which make this masterpiece awesome game experience. Enjoy both perfect gameplay, locations design, story, soundtrack and dubbing. It is worthwile to spend money for this adventure with wonderful story, very good gradation and surprising reversal in the end. Enjoy it...
  44. Jun 1, 2014
    I love the DMC series, and when it comes to game play this is one of the best ones. The re-imagining of the DMC universe is spectacular. I love the characters and it was enough to keep me interested to play through almost all of the difficulties. The massive boss fights are beautifully choreographed, the enemies are unique and interesting, and the environment is awesome! My only two beefs with the game is that some of the dialogue is beyond lame, and the boss fight with Mundus was incredibly easy after all of that build up. Expand
  45. May 26, 2014
    i have played all DMC. from DMC 1,2,3,4 and this DmC. and what i like from this game is only it's combat control. all other things like Graphic, Story, Music. it's not suited to be called a DMC sequel. i especially hate the Character's Graphic. in previous DMC all the character is cool. and even the enemy is cool. but in this DmC, not just the enemy who is uncool. even Dante is so uncool. BUT, maybe i would give around 6, 7, or 8 if this is just a random game and not a DMC sequel. Expand
  46. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well i not saying this game is 100% suck buuut it's need just some stuff that we all want.
    OLD dante that is all the time badass . i don't think this "new emo dante or donte" is cool it's stupid srsly
    i don't want to tulk about vergil . the new one is .....suck just suck . that my opinion 0soo don't get mad or some thing.
    i see the graphiques was awesome i give it 8/10 the moves was cool but a bit slow but cool i give it 7/10
    the story is 5.5/10 didn't like it mush but not bad .
    i just feel bad to see the main character that i use to play with changed by a teen age boy want attention some how. that how it's looks . it was hard for me to egnore playing by him but i big fan of dmc so i have to . and way my point is . the most of the fans bad about the change of the characters and how they is .
    most of you does not care about the story since the character gone be like dante in DMC3 or DMC4 with the same voice acter . sorry for my english

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.