6.7

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Y'know, I get it. I was going to give this game a higher score but then I realized that this game is a step towards dumbing down the hack n slash genre and the dmc franchise. As a fan of fps games I've seen that genre get almost completely demolished by the casuals appetite for cod (not the fish). So yeah, I understand that people who enjoyed earlier dmc games and their resentment of thisY'know, I get it. I was going to give this game a higher score but then I realized that this game is a step towards dumbing down the hack n slash genre and the dmc franchise. As a fan of fps games I've seen that genre get almost completely demolished by the casuals appetite for cod (not the fish). So yeah, I understand that people who enjoyed earlier dmc games and their resentment of this title. The game is very linear, kinda short and has removed all the puzzle solving and exploration. Combat is easier and I was very dissapointed with the boss fights. Still I will stand by the opinion that Dante is more likeable this time around though since I thought he was the most intolerable twit in previous installments. Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2013
    I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised.I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised. The gameplay, although easier, is brilliant and made me forget about the new characters and the arguably mediocre plot very quickly. The level design is gorgeous and Combichrist really made an awesome job on the aggressive soundtrack. The guitar in the combat themes will make you feel like a badass. There are two things (well, aside for Dante's behaviour in the beginning) that annoyed the crap out of me: the lack of a lock on feature (this NEEDS to be patched, especially if they're planning on releasing future DLCs) and the way they pictured Sparda. From invincible overpowered hero to...well...useless Also, I don't understand why they removed the taunting option. From a technical point of view I'd say the game is nearly perfect, with very few to no bugs (at least, that's my experience), amazing graphics and responsive controls. A quality porting...not something I'm used to, especially when it comes to this kind of games. Overall, although I initially hated to admit it, I had a lot of fun with this game. While playing it's clear as day that the developers put a lot of effort and hard work into it and that's not something you see very often nowadays so I take my hat off before NT's developers and artists, as well as Noisia and Combichrist. It's good to see some people still care about what they do. My rating would be 7/7.5 if we look at it as a Devil May Cry game but a solid 8.5 if we consider it as a normal hack'n slash. In any case, it's worth a try. P.S. Now I would like to see a game in the original Devil May Cry universe, Capcom...pretty please? lol Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    This game had a lot of potential, however there a several reasons why this is not a 10. Without playing as Vergil this game seems incomplete to me. You need to purchase a lazy piece of DLC to do that.
    Also, the lack of skins for yourself and weapons is an issue, also because you need to buy them if you want any. Maybe I find this to be a huge problem because I am from a time where you unlocked such things through game play and not you wallet.
    The last part of the game seemed lazy, and the lack of a targeting system really pissed me off at times.
  4. Aug 8, 2013
    Its a fantastic game.
    Its intelligent, exciting, funny, with incredibly artistic dsign, but just better watch some gameplay to see it by yourself Im not really good at writing reviews
    Nevermind the absurd fanboysm crying, I cant understand all tha hate towards this game, Its a shame because this game is amazing. this game is a piece of art Its beautiful.
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies likePlayed DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2014
    Capcom´s DMC: Devil May Cry consists of balanced elements which make this masterpiece awesome game experience. Enjoy both perfect gameplay, locations design, story, soundtrack and dubbing. It is worthwile to spend money for this adventure with wonderful story, very good gradation and surprising reversal in the end. Enjoy it...
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    I'm actually extremely happy that I didn't listen to the user score and got the game anyways.
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    The game is fantastic as is expected of a Devil May Cry game. When I ask anyone why they hated the game, the most common response is because they hate the way Dante looks. Get over it, besides you can expect him to look way different in the next game. As for the story, past Devil May Cry games didn't really have much of a story, they were mostly action games. I personally enjoyed the story for this game, though it was nothing spectacular. The story was still good and interesting. Gameplay was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel.
  8. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely great game.
    I haven't played DmC since DmC3, and at first didn't like the look of this one, but I gave it a go nonetheless.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. The combat system is superb, the soundtrack is great (although won't be to everyone's taste), and the graphics and level design is top-notch, although slightly corridor. Unfortunately, the story let it down
    Absolutely great game.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.
    Unfortunately, the story let it down slightly, as it was vague and there was no real "drive" behind Dante's actions, whereas the story in the older games was more detailed, but still a great game nonetheless.
    It was also somewhat short, leaving maybe enough replay value for a second (but unlikely a third) playthrough.

I'd recommend it, but maybe when it's nice and cheap.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    This isn't a perfect game, but its not as overly terrible as everyone makes it out to be and it most certainly isn't a gem. First off, the "bad" of this game, which are quite obvious: Design, Writing, Difficulty, and small game play elements. While there are some interesting platforming segments, the overall look and feel of this game isn't appealing, and just comes off as a bright lightThis isn't a perfect game, but its not as overly terrible as everyone makes it out to be and it most certainly isn't a gem. First off, the "bad" of this game, which are quite obvious: Design, Writing, Difficulty, and small game play elements. While there are some interesting platforming segments, the overall look and feel of this game isn't appealing, and just comes off as a bright light show. Writing is where this game takes its toll, with dialogue that is so horrid that I end up face palming every time. The way these characters are implemented into this new reboot is a disgrace to their original counter-parts, and the story isn't anything spectacular as expected. This game isn't difficult at all, and even on the game's supposed "hard" mode, it felt like normal mode. Some game play elements, such as no lock-on and sometimes frustrating camera can be an annoyance to any player. But what I was most disappointed in with the game play elements, was the fact that the game shoves the new weapons to you so quick, that you aren't able to have the time to master them. Also, Devil Trigger is just a free get-out-of-jail card.

The "good" of this game? Game play. It feels as a Devil May Cry game should, with some new additions. The game plays smooth on a PC with the right specs, don't bother with the console version where you're given half of the experience. If you actually take the time to practice, you can make some pretty combos with the variety of weapons given. Platforming is actually good in this game, and although it is brain dead easy, its pretty entertaining in some segments.

Final thoughts: Again, Its not a completely terrible game. From what I've heard, Ninja Theory have made some pretty great games with deep narrative, but this game isn't one of them. It has it's flaws, but at the very least I suggest you give it a try and see if it'll change your mind. You'll find something enjoyable at the least.

P.S.: Ninja Theory, that white wig joke wasn't funny.

Also, to the people criticizing a game they haven't played, and created accounts just to make the score sink for this game. You guys are pathetic.
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    Okey, so I´ve been playing this game for around five hours. Sure, I can say that I never have been much for hack and slash. But I loved the older DMC games! I feel that they wanted too much with this game, they wanted the old style from DMC but they also wanted to add a lot of thing, personely I think it´s way too much things to keep track on. All from the weapons, wips and skills. In theOkey, so I´ve been playing this game for around five hours. Sure, I can say that I never have been much for hack and slash. But I loved the older DMC games! I feel that they wanted too much with this game, they wanted the old style from DMC but they also wanted to add a lot of thing, personely I think it´s way too much things to keep track on. All from the weapons, wips and skills. In the end I just mashed X-button, to get rid of the mobs. The mobs are so boring, they don´t even look intresting. But the bosses, ohh mama! They were really nice, especially the voice acting! I remember the old days, playing DMC with the stiff camera, those were the days. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    I loved this game. A lot. I really dug the alternate take on the story and characters, and the combat, though adjusted a little differently, still feels very much like a Devil May Cry game at its core. It's not the best Devil May Cry game, but it's DEFINITELY better than the insufferable DMC2 and the stale DMC4. Don't buy into the fanboyism and give this one a try. You might dig it.
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    DMC have personally been associated with the charismatic blond Dante. Developers have destroyed a great series of games. All that remained at the level: it's graphics, fun carnage and good music.
    This is not the DMC that once was.
  13. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  14. Apr 10, 2013
    This game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriouslyThis game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriously kick-ass soundtrack. What I didn't like about this game is the ridiculously easy boss fights who telegraph their moves way before they do them, and overall the weak characters of Dante and Vergil. Somewhere about 3/4s these two do something so morbid and despicable, I cannot describe it. The story is also very cliche and feels like a copy/paste of the movie "They live". Dante also swears a ton and isn't amusing as he was in the previous games. But hey, it's a 7/10 for me generally because of how well combat is done, which is the central point of the series anyways. Trust me, you should buy this game if you are into DMC and spectacle fighters. Angry fanboys are just killing their own series because they refuse to buy this game. But all they do is miss out of a fun game, and possibly any future such games. Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    This game has to be my favorite game. I like the new dante and i dont know why people are complaining. The missions are so fun to play and vergils downfall is even better. Overall if you dont have the game, get it because its fun
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot for Ninja Theory to renew this fantastic saga. I've played them all and I have to say my favorite is three. In this game, Dante, rejuvenated, discovers his past that makes us think that it is a prequel to the other games since they do not know who remembers his family. Really recommended.
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    While this game may not conform to the expectations of many DMC loyalists, I think it's shameful that many of them didn't judge it on it's own merits when submitting a user review.

This game is smooth, slick, gorgeous, wildly inventive, constantly entertaining and most importantly: FUN. I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of

I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of this past generation. If you're on the fence, buy it, it is well worth your time.
  18. Nov 22, 2014
    The character is terrible. Forgetting appearances for a moment, you get the sense that this is a teenager's concept of 'cool' and 'edgy', as if swearing were to somehow push boundaries. It does not, but the game acts as though it is the most witty thing in the world. I would think that by now the whole **** you" ...exchange is infamous enough.

The story and background are bizarre

The story and background are bizarre enough, as if pushing for some sort of agenda. Much like the aforementioned teenager fashion, you get the idea that you've also stumbled into some sort of sociology class. It felt a bit...rushed however, from a certain point.

Gameplay is different and unlike the others of the series, hands out S class so easily, you stop noticing it after a while and there is nothing truly complex about it. That said, the environment is interesting, as are the levels. Most of the enemies are pretty great. If you are barely starting the series and are only interested in the combat, by all means, enjoy although the huge number of cutscenes made this painful for me.

To those who liked the old Dante, the dialogue and voice acting will seem immensely jarring. There is no wit or the usual ham, no cleverness or, let's be frank, cheese. There are too few characters like that and too many characters "dark" simply for the sake of being "dark".
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    I love the game. I hated the previous DmC games for being too steep.. no story just brainless hack-and-slash.
    This DmC has the Darksiders feeling and it feels really special. I never liked the Asian style of the last DmC games.
  20. Feb 3, 2013
    Great game..
    I am impresed. I never played any Devil may cry game. I think 9/10 are objective.

Pros:
    +combat system
    +good story
    +atmosphere
    +soundtrack(fu**ing great soundtrack)

cons
    -hmm, I don't know... but there are some I think
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    I had a great time with this game. It does not deserve the poor user score that haters have been giving it. DMC is an enjoyable and beautiful game that keeps your interest throughout and never has a dull moment.
  22. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't understand the backlash because the game is a little different. It's a fantastic game. The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while.
  23. Feb 27, 2013
    This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow.This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting and cleared it with no problems and with a Stylish rank. I haven’t even done this in the previous Devil May Cry games. If there is another game and it is made by Ninja Theory, I won’t be buying it. Expand
  24. Jan 25, 2013
    Im glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own nowIm glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own now adays for any multiplatform game. I honestly think the combat is improved this time around too. Yeah the enemies are a bit easier and arent as cool as past dmc titles. But there is a wider variety in moves which should please past devil may cry fans like myself. DMC has never really been about the story in my opinion, i didnt exepect much this time around either. I came to hack and slash some demons and chain together some great combo moves and the game delivered on that aspect. I love the DMC series because there just plain fun gameplay wise. You crank the volume up, get presented with a swarm of enemies and just kick there asses in the most creative way you can come up with. Its just plain fun and can get you on the edge of your seat once you get the rythem going and you see the SSS flash up. Where devil may cry falls short in my opinion is just the presentation. Limbo is cool but they over did it, half way though the game it kind of looses all its exciting moments since you come to expect whats going to happen. Atleast the varied environments make up for some of it. I also miss the whole "crazy acrobatics slow motion" cut scenes too. The new dante isnt half bad, its awkward at first hearing the name dante and looking at him but half way though the game i accepted him the same way i excepted nero. To be honest hes really just a potty mouthed nero. There both punks with attitudes and think there the sh*t. So if you got over nero in DMC4 you will accept the new dante too. Game producers try new things with franchises all the time, its just the way the world works. I would rather have a new dante then not have a new DMC at all. So just because they went in a different direction doesnt mean the game is horrible like half the reviews on here say. If you can keep a open mind, buy the game, sit back and relax and prepare to kick some demon ass. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2013
    I loved DMC. It does not deserve the hate from fans. The game is very enjoyable and has excellent pacing and tight controls. The attention to detail is nice as well. Great mature story is a plus. I really hope there is a sequel to this awesome game.
  26. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't really know why so many people are pissed off at the game. It's a reboot people...The story's good, the combat worthy of being in a dmc and the graphics are pretty good.
    The new Dante look is a bit emo-y, but hey as i said it's a reboot. Overall it's a good game.
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    In short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of theIn short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of the whole over the top coolness. Dante is supposed to be a smooth dude who always finds the write words to make you grin, he is not supposed to feel like "a real guy" with "real feelings" that Expand
  28. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest heFirst off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    This is the second DmC game I have ever played, the first one actually being DmC4 (I never beat it, played till roughly the second/third boss and got bored). From the perspective of someone who is (somewhat) new to the franchise, the game is good. On it's own, it's a fun, action packed game full of slicing and shooting and destruction.

One thing that makes the game really awesome are

One thing that makes the game really awesome are the visuals. The levels all look very colorful and interesting, and Dante's animations are fluent and fun to watch.

A bad thing is the camera. I played this game with a keyboard and mouse, and had many frustrations during platforming sections.

If you're a fan of the original DMCs, and are resistant to change (looking at you Dante), I'd assume you'd hate the game for being different. If you are a newcomer like me, the game is fine, and is well worth a play-through or two. Now, excuse me, I gotta go beat the game on Hell and Hell mode......
  30. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics:
    The game looks really great. The visual design of the areas you go through is top notch. Limbo has a saturated feel to it with a lot of vibrant colors that I think are really nice. In particular the Nightclub you go through is a very cool area. The way levels twist around you is nice.
    That said the design of the levels is subpar. There is exploration of side paths to find upgrades but other than that the levels are fighting areas with straight lines in between.
    Moving around with the A/D pull is neat at first but the game never really does anything with it. You may as well be walking down a hallway. Its a pretty hallway, but its still a hallway.

Enemy design is pretty great for the most part. The katana enemies are really awesome looking as are the creepy baby demons. Some are stupid (like the orange chainsaw men) or designed in a really blatant way (HIT MY GIANT BELLY ORB PLEASE).

Character designs are okay. Dantes looks like a douche though.
    Vergil looks better but his outfit is silly. Kat is odd. In some scenes she looks attractive but in others her face looks retarded.

Sound:
    Music. Blegh. Most of it is very generic sounding dubstep that can get a bit obnoxious at times. Its not all bad though, there are some good tracks.
    Sound effects are meh. The sounds used for attacks makes them feel weak. Ebony and Ivory feel like peashooters with a tinny sound effect and Angel Weapons and Rebellion dont feel like theyre doing much. The Axe and the Fists have pretty good sound effects though. The big meaty WHUNK when you hit something is nice.
    Voice acting is passable. None of the characters are memorable though. A lot just sounds like actors saying their lines. Also Dantes voice acting really worse towards the end of the game.

Writing: Average at best and horrible at worst.
    Some of its witty. Dante has some cool lines and has an ok arc. Other dialog is cringeworthy and tries too hard (like calling Dante a scrotum-sack.)
    Unfortunately Dante never really stops being unlikeable. Its hard to get invested because you hate the main character. Several things are brought up once and never mentioned again or left unexplained.
    Eg: The game tells us that 'Demons and Angels have always existed and they have always been at war'.
    But we never see an Angel. If Angels exist, where are they?
    It feels like the writers wanted to make Dante cooler so they made him an Angel/Devil hybrid. Eva became an Angel without giving a second thought to the consequences of having Angels exist.

I like the idea of Demons pulling the strings of corporations and governments to control humanity. But it goes nowhere. We know they are controlling humanity, but why? Do Demons eat Humans? Do they harvest their souls for power? Why are they doing all this? Never explained.
    Vergils turn at the end of the game comes out of nowhere. It was a complete asspull.
    The game had shown him as willing to sacrifice lives for his goals but it was never foreshadowed that he wanted to rule the world. Gameplay:
    Fighting is fluid. Everything flows together and its easy to dispatch multiple enemies. Problem is its TOO easy.
    The game does a good job at making you feel powerful but it doesnt feel satisfying because of how easy it is. Most enemies will stand around waiting for you to beat the **** out of them. The color-coded enemies are a stupid decision. Theres no complex gameplay around them. Just hit them with a specific weapon. It quickly becomes annoying.

The game hands out S ranks like candy. You can do even the most basic combos and have the game give you SSS. Feels cheap.

Boss fights are way too easy. All you do is dodge the telegraphed attacks and occasionally deal damage until the boss falls down giving you 10 seconds or so to beat on them then repeat. Again this doesnt feel satisfying.
    The bosses are well designed visually however. The media boss is stellar in particular.

I am completely baffled as to why lock-on is absent. It makes literally no sense. The game does a good job at figuring out who you want to attack but not having a lock on is still a bizarre design choice. It limits your combat moves in a series that is all about the combat. Having a lock-on allows you to have different directional inputs for different moves while still ensuring your target is the one you intend. Its not like the controller doesnt have room for it. Both LB and RB are dodge. They function identically. Why couldnt LB have been dodge and RB have been lock on? Devil Trigger is not only pointless in this game its also more of a hindrance than a useful ability.
    Using DT sends EVERY ENEMY into the air and then holds them there. This also plays into the unsatisfying combat. Beating on completely defenseless enemies doesnt feel engaging. The increase in power you get is tiny, so DT becomes nothing more than a way to refill your health or a panic button.
  31. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, areOk Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, are just guy who love old Dante too much, yes his the iconic character that made the DMC what it is. But if you keep playing it some of Dante's old look comes to play aswell as his red coat when DT is used. His hair will probably come back in the next one so don't flag the game as a bad one because i bet most of you haven't even played it yet. A FACT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING IT A 0 ARE TROLLS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEW DANTE. Expand
  32. Jan 28, 2013
    this is an amazing game the way you feel when the music play has you slice up you enemies and bodies go flying. i liked the new Dante he is a bad ass but i would like the old look with the new personality. the story is good but i'm still confused why is this through the media and banks it is really diffident to what games i play.
  33. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DLCs, addons and, of course, DmC 2.
  34. Jan 29, 2013
    Gripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negativeGripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negative reviews are old DMC fans who find it hard to move on, somewhat unfair reviews and just very personal views, I am a massive fan of DMC and so are a few of my friends, but them including others new to the franchise all love it. Overall, amazing but personal tastes from others may lead you to think this is a bad game when it clearly is not.

Get it!
  35. Feb 2, 2013
    I relly think this game is great graphics story characters gameplay everything is on the right place .
    So a very strong 8 is my rate Try this game
  36. Feb 6, 2013
    Playing this new DMC with the new character was not a bad experience at all and who ever say it has nothing to do with previous DMCs my answer is WRONG
    because the action is there the graphics are amazing the story Please note that Playing DMC on a higher difficulty make the game more interesting .
    for me its the Kick ass hell of an action game 2013.so far.
  37. Feb 24, 2013
    it's an horrid piece of casual gaming... i would give it a 5 if it wasn't supposed to be a dmc game... ninja theory and capcom killed my fauvorite series
  38. VRH
    Feb 17, 2013
    This game is pure AWESOMENESS!!! I was always fun of DMC series but this one really delivered! Dante is played very well (The scene with Sucubus is hilarious) story is interesting and gameplay is pure fun! When you unlock a fourth difficulty it is completely new game, Bosses and other enemies behave different...In last 3 days I have passed it 3 times and completed all secret missions andThis game is pure AWESOMENESS!!! I was always fun of DMC series but this one really delivered! Dante is played very well (The scene with Sucubus is hilarious) story is interesting and gameplay is pure fun! When you unlock a fourth difficulty it is completely new game, Bosses and other enemies behave different...In last 3 days I have passed it 3 times and completed all secret missions and I will play it again! Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2013
    I've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil mayI've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil may Cry: Devil May Cry) is on the good side, a solid action game with decent combat, a good soundtrack ,satisfyingly visceral gamefeel and inventive platofrming, it has gorgeous scenery and level design, and had it been a standalone game it would be fine, a decent 6-7. But as this is a supposed reboot of a beloved franchise, this game is an awful disservice. The Good: The Combat is solid, the Platforming as I said was nice, and some of the characterization is well done, some clever dialogue, decent storytelling at times and a generally cool premise.
    The Bad: This game is a slap in the face to any Devil May Cry fan. It takes what was good about the previous games franchise and totally misses the point. Dante is immature, and childish. the "Humor" is most of the time juvenile rubbish, the plot is predictable and the characters are nauseating. The Villain is decent, only because he is a blatant rip off of Lex Luthor with Al Pacino's character from "The Devil's Advocate", Vulgar, Disgusting and most bosses (with one notable and awesome exception) are just boring. The game is on easy mode the whole time, as it gets closer to the end the being forced to use angel or demon weapons on certain enemies becomes a chore and severely hampers the freedom of the game's otherwise excellent combat, it's simplistic in a bad way and compared to other Devil may Cry entries doesnt cut the mustard at all. As the much as the story was never the strong point of Devil May Cry, it made up for the laughable dialogue and plot with charm and cheeky delivery. It was a Japanese Evil Dead in a way, and we loved it. This doesnt capture that same spirit and tries too hard to be punk, but misses the point of the series. This drags the whole game down. That and the insulting jabs at Devil May Cry fans (while later trying to pander to them through DLC) is disgusting and mean spirited, not at all the kind of gentle ribbing a lot of remakes give as winks and nods to fans. These jabs feel born out of bitterness and mean spirited arrogance, not playful and loving satire. The whole experience, taken together, gives an otherwise good game a sour taste in my mouth, worst of all. The game isn't as bad as I wanted it to be, and this sounds weird, I know. The Ugly: I was Promised Vergl becoming a Fedora wearing T-rex, Time travelling Dante, insanity and crazyness. I got none of that, I didn't get smoker heroin addict emo donte, I didn't get awkward spidey 3 peter parker dante, I got bland "I knew in my heart I wasnt crazy" dante. and That is not Dante, Dante is always Crazy, Dante is ridiculous, Devil May Cry is over the top theatrics, stylish and awesome gameplay and a cheap b-movie plot and cheesy dialogue that is full of charm and melodrama. The cynicism in this game poisons the charm, the best part of the game is when it's at it's most absurd with the Bill o'reily expy and the club sequence. The "Limbo" sections with the giant statue thingy and the more weird parts. But over all, Devil May Cry is not a game that takes itself seriously. That is this game's chief problem it takes itself seriously. It does a terrible job of capturing what makes Devil May Cry loved, and should have been an entirely new IP

The Verdict: DmC: Devil May Cry is a fine game taken on it's own. It's fun, it's exciting, it has an alright story, and decent storytelling, gorgeous enviroments, fun gameplay mechanics and excellent combat. It is also perhaps the best Port of the series and runs great on the PC. This is bogged down by childish dialogue, poor adaption to the series, takes itself too serious, bad acting out the ass. (with a few exceptions) and poor execution of a lot of good ideas, to make matters worse, the game cant pick a tone and stick with it. Overall though, while not bad, it's not good either, which unfortunately consigns this title to the same bargain bin as Devil May Cry 2. They deserve each other in a way. Worth a play if you want a laugh, but I wouldn't spend much money on it.
  40. Mar 8, 2013
    DmC was a fantastic reboot to a series that has constantly reinvented itself. I have followed the series closely and do not see the reasons for all the harsh criticism. I was wary of the game creating another prequel to a series that never seems to truly advance in its plot line. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the plot in DmC deviating slightly from the original. It created aDmC was a fantastic reboot to a series that has constantly reinvented itself. I have followed the series closely and do not see the reasons for all the harsh criticism. I was wary of the game creating another prequel to a series that never seems to truly advance in its plot line. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the plot in DmC deviating slightly from the original. It created a realistic Dante and Vergil and introduced something the series has been lacking: CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Onto the gameplay. The revamped combo system far outshines any previous Devil May Cry being able to quickly slap between weapons, while maintaining move canceling. The loss of the lock on system was actually quite pleasant since it meant never having to hold a button and all-in-all the autolock was almost never wrong. The level designs were far more imaginative than the typical gothic castles.

I did find DmC lacking in replay value, a problem that has plagued Devil May Cry for some time. Also as enjoyable as the plot was, it is seriously annoying to have another prequel to a series that has had one already. Looking at the game as a whole it was great and extremely enjoyable
  41. Mar 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry in this game is the name only. Everything else didnt make sense with the franchise. Change the name and this game can deceive some respect.
  42. Apr 25, 2013
    If you have never played a DmC game before and you like beat em ups then this is a good game for you. Very playable with an easy to understand control system. The responsiveness of your character is great and helps to immerse you into the battles. The storyline, while short, is entertaining enough too. The graphics, while limited by console restrictions on the PC, are nicely done.
    That's
    That's the good stuff out of the way. Now for the bad...
    You will be doing puzzle after puzzle throughout this game and this can become mundane. Made even harder by the fact that you are required to memorize a large combination of buttons in order to pull some of the moves off required by the task you are doing. For the combat, it's not bad at all and gives you a real feel of power, but for the puzzles it just had me thinking; A game's difficulty should not be based on how hard it is to remember which button combination does what.
    The limitation to the graphics on the PC are restrictive. The PC version could have looked so much better than it did. Don' get me wrong, it still looks nice, but the potential was not taken advantage of.
    If you are looking for a game you can just pick up and play for 1 hour, and enjoy yourself then DmC is definitely worth a shot. PC Players be sure to use a gamepad or you will regret it!
  43. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think I mistakenly clicked NO on a comment I wanted to click YES, but I don't think it is worth a 10. First of all, I haven't played DMC since 1 and 2, but I played 3 and 4 and I confess that this new DmC is pretty good! Yes, I got pissed when they changed Dante, but oh well, marketing strategies are marketing strategies. The new Dante seems to have more character than the old ones IMO. I actually wished there were more scenes showing Dante kicking ass all around showing his stylishness like 3 and 4, but when you play it you feel that he is good at "playing rough" (Like he mentions on the second mission).
    Like all other DMC games, game is consisted of missions. If you are used to playing this kind of game, you'll finish the initial mode in 10 hours or so, so that you unlock more difficulties, and this is where the series starts to spread its wings.
    About DmC combat specifically, I think that the combat system is still very nice, but the lack of a "lock-on" button made me do a lot of mistakes since I was used to the old system. That's maybe just me, though. Also, double tapping into directions to do specific moves is kinda hard on the PC, I almost didn't use the Stinger, my favorite move of all DMC games. That may be me again, though. I played DMC4 after playing this and I kinda felt like arriving home with a partner "It's good to be back with you". Not that I didn't really like the new system, but I still prefer the old one.
    About the story, I like it. It made sense Dante didn't have white hair at first. And once you finish the game, guess white?! YEA, HE HAS ALL WHITE HAIR NOW! See, it didn't hurt that much playing with him having dark hair, did it? I bought the "Classic Dante" skin but that really doesn't look a lot like old Dante, but I mostly use it. Anyways, back to the plot. I liked it. For a reboot is makes sense, it has its interesting parts, and an almost predictable turnout at the ending if you already know that Dante must ALWAYS fight Vergil.
    I must confess that when I first bought the game I thought it wouldn't run on my notebook (a thing from 2011) but when I lowered nearly all settings, the game run smoothly, and man, was it still beautiful to watch! I give extra credits for that. I play with all settings in low, low resolution, and the visuals are impresive. I don't regret at all this reboot, but I still would prefer if they launched a DMC5 or anything like it. I mean, there are like 8 different parallel Spider-Mans, why not Dantes?
    About the DLCs, I wish there were more content to get, like skins, there could be a LOT more skins, and or all devil arms! There is like only one pack of 3 different skins for 3 guns. Always the shotgun, a Scythe he get's when having contact with his mother's essence (an Angel) and the Axe he gets when he has contact with his father (Sparda, a Demon). And only one pack of 3 Dante's skins. I still liked mainly the Classic, though it doesn't really look a lot like the classic, I guess it's because on DMC4 he got older and stronger, and this one still looks like a "Rooster weight fighter".
    Also, I got the "expansion" Vergil's Downfall, when you play with Vergil! What an experience! Playing with Vergil is way more challenging to master, and I liked it!

So, overall. The combat is sometimes frustrating and you may do wrong moves. The camera sometimes don't help much. Achievements are always cool. The Story and Voice acting are very good (this boosts up the experience very much). The graphics are very beautiful and the Limbo world (a "demonically distorted" version of our world) is very creative and interesting to watch as you go through the missions. I just wished there was fight in the normal world too. The progression is nice and if you have a gaming mouse with a few extra buttons changing weapons to increase combat style points will become easier!
    I think it diserves a solid 9. If you played the other series, just go and play it. You will enjoy the fights and the world linear exploring with hidden missions and artifacts to collect.
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    Well the Idea of changing the game was not bad, but....
    First things first: The good thing is, the leveldesing is amazing, the soundtrack is great, the enemys are different.
    But on the other hand, the original Dante and Vergil in DMC 3 are unmatchable... There will never be a better Devil May Cry then the third part.
  45. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  46. Dec 13, 2013
    DmC is a sequel to original Devil May Cry series. It's the 5th game. For me, I didn't play first 4 games, but DmC is clear enough to see the points of story. In this game, we see Dante's "adventurous teen" times. With his new appearance, which far from Japanese atmosphere, he's more cool. His manners after demon combat's are pretty cool too. Also, we can't omit the apprentice girl, Kat.DmC is a sequel to original Devil May Cry series. It's the 5th game. For me, I didn't play first 4 games, but DmC is clear enough to see the points of story. In this game, we see Dante's "adventurous teen" times. With his new appearance, which far from Japanese atmosphere, he's more cool. His manners after demon combat's are pretty cool too. Also, we can't omit the apprentice girl, Kat. She has a mysterious attractiveness which suits comfortable with Dante. The game edits DmC's original scenario with its own atmosphere; more likely to western instead of Japanese. Thanks Ninja Theory.
    For the gameplay, I can only say that if you have not a hand-eye coordination; stay apart from this game! The gameplay is extremly fluent, but sometimes, especially in aerial parts, can be boring. Sometimes, you can fall down because of unexpected-mixed combo issues. The combo point system is not fair. It judges time too, but we have to do the secondary quests too for gain higher marks. It's a frustrated conflict, but it improves your FPS-combat skills remarkably.
  47. Nov 2, 2013
    Wonderful action game. Really makes an impression on me every time i play it. Always have to cut play time shorter than would I like to, and for me,its the most enjoyable game I have played this year.
  48. Dec 17, 2014
    This one's a doozie, but here we go.

This one's a doozie, but here we go.

DmC: Devil May Cry, stupid name, already had fans twisted in a bunch long before the game came out. The redesign of Dante's appearance being the centerpiece of this glorious fan meltdown. when the game was revealed and the iconic Dante was made into a brooding EMO teenager who looked like he needed to smacked in the face a few times. Ninja theory quickly backtracked and made a few changes to his design. Unfortunately they just made him look like trailer trash with a bad attitude. Skip forward to release and Ninja Theory released a highly divisive title, both among critics and fans. This is the tale of my experiences with this game so bear with me if the review is a bit unstructured.

It's the night before release and i have the game preloaded on Steam, ready to go to sleep. I sit there with mixed feelings, both axcited and worried for the next day and the time ahead with DmC: Devil May Cry.

I come home from work and quickly rush boot up the game. The title screen appears and i hesitate before taking a slow breath. I start the game and I am immediately greeted with some of the worst and most cringe worthy dialouge i have ever heard. like taken straight out of an angsty teenagers fanfiction. The character design doesn't fare much better. Everyone looks like some bland generic representation of what Highschool student think is cool, complete with a Bill O'reilly parody of a corrupt government controlled News reporter. at this point a could only sigh and dread the coming days with this game. But it is not all bad.

After watching through an insulting introduction to Dante, making him look like some sleazy trailerpark trash who couldnt give a **** about anything in his life, i get the first glimmer of hope in this game. The gameplay. The controlls are tight and responsive, the animations are smooth and slick and the feel of control and badassnes (if thats even a word) that belong in a game like this are all there. And after playing through avery promising introductory level i am in high spirits, not as dicouraged as before. Maybe its going to be alright after all.

And then i encounter the first blemish to the excelent gamplay i have experienced so far. There is no enemy lockon funtion. Thats alright i think say to myself. not all action stylized action games need enemy lockon. But the game has guns and flying enemies so of course it need a lockon system, you'd be stupid to think otherwise. But so good so far. Nothing game breaking or rage inducing yet. The weapons all feel great and the addition of the two different whips where a great and well executed idea, really bringing the dynamic gameplay even farther. Being able to switch weapons mid combo works amazingly well and just feels right. The weapons and animations look great and fit together nicely. With the exception of the lack of a lockon system the gamplay really felt like the redeeming factor to an otherwise shaky experience.

The platforming with the whips also worked rather well and was a nice break of pace in otherwise chaotic action game.

And then i run into the first *colored* enemy of the game. And this is where the entire game unraveled and became progressively worse, besides the boss fights those where great. There are two kinds of colored enemies in the game, Red and Blue. You can only hit the red enemies with the red/demonic weapons and the blue enemies with the blue/angelic weapons. this doesnt sound so bad, but when coupled with the fact enemies group together and you cant lockon a single target it becomes almost impossible to do anything. When you attack a colored enemy with the wrong weapon it bounces off and you stagger. ITBOUNCESOFFANDYOUSTAGGER! In larger groups of enemies this completely grinds the pace of the game to a staggering (see what i did there) halt. And then they introduce enemies that change color. ARGHFDHJFJLH!!

But enough about high-school worthy writing and broken gameplay elements, what about the graphics and art design? apart from character design that is. Oh and the music what's that like? To put it bluntly it sucks. Gone is the gothic medieval citys and castles. Away with the otherworldy demons and knights, the angels and demons inspired by classic religion and mythology. Gone. Everything. Replaced by generic Monsters with chainsaws and generic city streets. The music is good but completely forgettable. It just doesn't fit. Instead of the grandious orchestras and powermetal of the previous games we are graced with emo alt metal and dubstep infuced rock.

The game was pretty disapointing and it makes me sad that the obviosly talented developers probably won't get another chance at making a sequel. The game is serviceable when it could have been great. If you are a game dev the game is a great lesson in how you dont put hamfisted ideas into otherwise amazing gameplay. Make sure **** work before implementing it.
  49. Dec 31, 2013
    So lets start off by saying that this game is better than most of the old DMC games, or on par with DMC3. The gameplay in this reboot is more fluid, the story and characters have more depth, and the level design is generally more intriguing than that of past installments. Combos are more fluid compared to that of the old DMCs, where everything flows together perfectly (if you know what youSo lets start off by saying that this game is better than most of the old DMC games, or on par with DMC3. The gameplay in this reboot is more fluid, the story and characters have more depth, and the level design is generally more intriguing than that of past installments. Combos are more fluid compared to that of the old DMCs, where everything flows together perfectly (if you know what you are doing). To be honest, being a near-veteran of the old DMCs, I look back and find that the old combat chopped along when you switched weapons, merely making the illusion of fluidity by having Dante attack freakishly fast. Lets first focus on the story: the plot and characters have way more depth than the past DMCs honestly (I've played through each about 20+ times), where Dante in the older games was just some badass, granted a cool one, he lacked any emotional depth other than: "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" The new Dante however actually has some true depth as a character who grows throughout the game, and do not worry, there is still some of the old Dante in this game for he is still sarcastic and badass, just rough around the edges. Although starting out as a bit of an emo (which you can't really blame him for) he soon comes to care about humanity, partly due to Kat, and take his role as humanity's protector, showing a true character development which the old DMCs never had, Dante will undoubtedly be even cooler in the next game as he is maturing, if only fans will give him a chance. Kat is also an engaging character as she actually has a role and influence on the characters, Dante in particular; unlike the old female roles in the DMC games, which aside from Lady in DMC3, was there for fan-serivce. Vergil is more interesting as well, in DMC3 he was merely some psychopath trying to gain power, but in this new game he goes from being a redeemable, although conniving, character to a hellbent enemy. The story is also generally deeper than any of the past installments, which consisted of 'oh no, some big demon threat on mankind, lets kill it,' in the new DmC the threat has been there, hidden before humanity's eyes, I won't ruin the story but there is much more depth to be found in the game among it's character and everything than there ever has been. Now onto the main part of DMC: the gameplay. As I have said the gameplay is fast and fluid, far more fluid than the past games, and what it lacks in speed it makes up for in style, which is really all that matters in DMC. The switching between weapons is often more fun than in past games since each weapon has it's own unique feel, the only choppy-ness in combat you may find is with the 'heavy-hitter' demon weapons, but even then the weapons generally match smoothly into combat. Anyone who hasn't been able to play well in DMC obviously just hasn't played other DMCs or generally is just bad as this kind of combat, because being a major DMC fan myself the transition to this games was easy, I was stringing together combos and getting S, SS, and SSS within the first 2-4 missions of the game (just like I did in the old ones). Many have complained about the auto-aiming, but I honestly find this funny since I rarely had any problem with it, except in the case where a ground enemy was under a flying one, which is rare, other than this all you do it point the control stick at the desired enemy, and there, you attack it. Some have also called the platforming clumsy, no, these people just suck, I never had a problem with the platforming, very rarely did I mess up and frankly the platforming was actually really cool and once again: fluid, fun, and fast. Frankly the platforming in the old DMCs was awful (however limited) do to the lack of proper movement and character frames, which is actually a true problem in the design of the old DMCs. All of this being said, the haters are just stuck in the past, and have no desire for a character with actual emotion, that of which all of humanity has. I have faith that Ninja Theory could continue to make an amazing and engaging series if the haters would just calm down and give them a chance. Besides, with how Capcom is being lately, *cough*Resident Evil 6*cough,* would we really want them to continue the series on their own? Expand
  50. Jan 10, 2014
    As I have never played a devil may cry game before, I started this game with a very open mind. I'm not a novice as most of my all time favourite games are third person fighters. I Just finished the game and I have to say it's the best of it's type I've ever played, even better then God of war 3 which was my favourite fighting game of all time(yes that's right, I used to be a PS3 player butAs I have never played a devil may cry game before, I started this game with a very open mind. I'm not a novice as most of my all time favourite games are third person fighters. I Just finished the game and I have to say it's the best of it's type I've ever played, even better then God of war 3 which was my favourite fighting game of all time(yes that's right, I used to be a PS3 player but I heard of the master race and had to be a part of it). That said, the PC version is the way to go as it offers better graphics and yet is still able to achieve very high frame rates due to the game being very well optimised. Overall the game isn't perfect as my score suggests but it's better then a 9 so I rounded up to try and boost the user score a bit as it's far to low! For anyone who has managed to read this far, in case you haven't picked up the message yet... BUY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  51. Jun 1, 2014
    I love the DMC series, and when it comes to game play this is one of the best ones. The re-imagining of the DMC universe is spectacular. I love the characters and it was enough to keep me interested to play through almost all of the difficulties. The massive boss fights are beautifully choreographed, the enemies are unique and interesting, and the environment is awesome! My only two beefsI love the DMC series, and when it comes to game play this is one of the best ones. The re-imagining of the DMC universe is spectacular. I love the characters and it was enough to keep me interested to play through almost all of the difficulties. The massive boss fights are beautifully choreographed, the enemies are unique and interesting, and the environment is awesome! My only two beefs with the game is that some of the dialogue is beyond lame, and the boss fight with Mundus was incredibly easy after all of that build up. Expand
  52. Dec 13, 2014
    Simply I felt like a bad ass when playing the game.The story's good,the gameplay is good,the camera is a bi***h.But....EVERYONE WANT THE OLD,AWESOME,BAD ASS,DANTE!!!!!!!
  53. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  54. Jul 19, 2013
    For one I don't understand all the negativity for this new DMC. I'll admit I never played the previous games, so I can see how people would be angry about changes to the series. However I don't understand why pure fun hack n slash game that runs buttery smooth on pc can get such a bad score for being different than other games out there. At least for me its been a really fun game.
  55. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game getting lots of hate from the mindless **** that are all bent out of shape that its not a sequel from the last one and that they changed his hair its really sad that so many people will read what they have wrote and skip this game since it turned out to be a rather enjoyable play
  56. Jan 31, 2013
    Solid game, very bad Devil May Cry game.

Combo ranks are easy to get to double S, bosses are trivial at best.
    Good platforming though, still not a solid Devil May Cry however, better luck next time.
  57. Mar 25, 2013
    Great Game! This is best DMC ever! русски!
    Перезапуск CAPCOM, 4-ая
  58. Jan 29, 2013
    Game was pretty bad, story didn't fit in, character looks was terrible and the game was too short and easy no challenges although combat was okay. Overall a pretty big disappointment.
  59. Apr 23, 2013
    The users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give theThe users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give the game a try. And I must say, I wasn't disappointed. We all know the series needed something fresh after the fiasco that was dmc4. And Ninja Theory hit it, and hit it hard!!!! The combat was slower than the original series, but still fun. The concept of Limbo added some variety to the environment. And the story! It was good, yes, definitely better than the Claptrap of the original series. Together, counting the core game, Bloody Palace mode, and Vergil's Downfall, the game definitely deserves a 9!!!!!!! Real DmC fans, Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  60. Jan 25, 2013
    Played only DMC 3 and 4 before, but this reboot looks pretty good, and Dante is better than in DMC 4 but still worse than DMC 3 IMHO. Overall pretty nice game. Needs more options on PC, at least Vsync and filtering options.
  61. Oct 29, 2013
    it's a really great game. Perfect action sequences, cut-scenes, gameplay. The only reason I gave it 9 but not 10 is the controls. it feels a little beat freaky to play via keyboard mouse (long jumps are most annoying). didn't play the previous DMC games, but strongly recommend it to everyone. Ninja Theory just made their best game ever cheers!)
  62. Oct 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I loved Devil May Cry, hated Devil May Cry 2, and never got back into the series, so I have yet to play 3 or 4. With DMC: Devil May Cry, I saw a game attempting to reinvent a stale franchise and originally purchased it on PS3. I played it for 4-5 hours but me being me, I got distracted by Guild Wars 2 for months on end and ended up selling it back. With theLet me start by saying that I loved Devil May Cry, hated Devil May Cry 2, and never got back into the series, so I have yet to play 3 or 4. With DMC: Devil May Cry, I saw a game attempting to reinvent a stale franchise and originally purchased it on PS3. I played it for 4-5 hours but me being me, I got distracted by Guild Wars 2 for months on end and ended up selling it back. With the recent steam sale putting it on sale for 12 bucks I purchased it again, only this time with glorious fluidity that this game deserves at 80 FPS, and ultra graphic settings, only amplified with the beauty of SweetFX. My, what a game. The battle system is beautifully crafted, the fluid movement from combo to combo is amazing compared to the repetitive bore that is the God of War franchise. The reward of chaining together combos and not mashing buttons to get the highest possible score reminded me of why I loved the original so much. The design and set pieces were top notch and beautifully done. The boss fights were very entertaining adding the scope of the mega bosses needed to make it feel epic, along with combining the battle system and set pieces to add motion and thought to each and every boss making them very entertaining compared to the usual mash X button until your enemy is dead, the Bob Barbus fight was just freaking amazing. As for the story, I was genuinely surprised and entertained by everything they did with the story and the changes they made in regards to re-imagining the story in a new modern way. The game goes about in a very matter of fact tone progressing from mission to mission developing characters while keeping things light and not overly serious. The game had it's fair share of laughs and silly humor not intended for young children, or for boring old geezers whom are prim and proper, though towards the end the game does tighten up and become more serious as the climax comes closer. As for the music, it suited the game design. Fast and fluid during the boss fights, and ambient in the background when you are trying to concentrate, but nothing that I would point out as something truly groundbreaking, just a good job in staying true to the game. Regarding characters, the redesign of Dante was something I was in favor of. His look matches his personality, a delinquent bad ass, and I thought his personality was spot on for the type of game they were trying to create. If I was disappointed in anyone, it was Virgil. He was just, okay, I didn't fall in love with him. I have yet to play the DLC with him but maybe that will change how I feel about him, but overall he was a very mediocre character. Kat on the other hand I grew to love. Her personality and general attitude grew on me, along with her design and the way they progressed her throughout the game. but Kat I really grew to like. As for Mundus, I like that they tried to make him a part of the game and develop him as a real threat, even adding in tidbits of emotion into his character and not painting him as a stone faced demon lord with no care in the world.

Overall, I found the game to be very enjoyable, with a well crafted story, beautiful graphics, and extremely fun game play.

Graphics 9/10
    Sound 7.5/10
    Story 8.5/10
    Gameplay 9.5/10
    Characters 8.5/10

Overall: 8.6/10
  63. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A piece of a solid game. Just completed it and it was worth the money. Animations & story perfect. They have done an amazing job on this game. Do the lines were pretty cheese. They also could improve acting in some cut-scenes. People should stop hating on the character and actually try the game first before even writing the reviews. Expand
  64. Jan 26, 2013
    Overall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combatOverall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combat system is very good overall. Tons of options regarding how you play due to having 8 weapons available at all times by the end of the game, and each weapon having several upgradeable/learn-able abilities. Certainly not classic DMC action, but there are 4 games that hold up perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for. If you're a fan of the series (like me) or a newcomer to action games there's a lot of fun to be had here, so long as you're willing to put up with a lackluster story. But I don't really know anyone who plays action games, let alone Devil May Cry, for the story. Expand
  65. Jan 26, 2013
    I rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the actionI rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the action perfectly and a battle system, that surpasses any of the previous ones and it is a blast to experiment with. I'd have given it 9/10, but I'm giving it 10 to compensate for the haters. If you're and action game fan, get it! Expand
  66. Jan 27, 2013
    There's one thing that should be cleared up before I even begin: this does not feel like Devil May Cry. The names are the same, some abilities are the same, even aspects of the characters are the same. But this game does not line up with the rest of the series. Considering the fact that it is a reboot, though, all of these things are both good and bad.
    Because the list of issues with this
    Because the list of issues with this game are short, I'll start with them: much of the dialogue is almost painful to listen to. On top of that, the voice acting, while excellent on some characters, is extremely lacking on others. My final complaint was early on in the game, where Dante finds himself if a classic Dante-esque wig, and says "Not in a million years." Why, Ninja Theory? Is your need to antagonize us really that great?
    Now to the positive. The graphics are very good. While only moderate in some areas, the attention to detail on the characters was excellent. The hair, clothing, and hell, even the skin looked fantastic. The combat, while a bit difficult to fully grasp at first, allows you to achieve amazing combos by giving you the ability to instantly switch between any obtained weapon. The upgrade system, while different from previous titles, is very easy to understand and gives you a good understanding of what each upgrade will do. The enemies, while sometimes repetitive, are diverse enough to keep the combat from becoming stale.
    And finally, Dante. Does he have the occasional blunt humor of the original Dante? Sure. Are there similarities other than that?...Unfortunately, not really. But the character is by no means unlikable, and he's what we get. No amount of complaining will change that, at least for a quite a while.
    Overall, I loved this game. The self-entitled **** spamming the ratings with low scores should actually play the game instead of sitting in their pile of butt-hurt.
    Bravo, Ninja Theory. I can't wait to see where you go with the series.
  67. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful Game, history, stunning graphics, great style combat, in pc versión it's better. i don't like the dante's new look, but with the dlc , the problem is solved ;)
  68. Jan 28, 2013
    This game offers many things to you because of the fact of how well the game is delivered, i was not expecting much and this game really did exceed my expectations. The story itself is not too bad, i quite enjoyed it however there could have been ways in which it was more engaging. The combat in this game, i have not played the previous titles however, i think is very nice as there areThis game offers many things to you because of the fact of how well the game is delivered, i was not expecting much and this game really did exceed my expectations. The story itself is not too bad, i quite enjoyed it however there could have been ways in which it was more engaging. The combat in this game, i have not played the previous titles however, i think is very nice as there are plenty of combos you are able to execute within the battle periods that you find yourself in this game. Visually this game is pretty sweet as it was quite vibrant and it looked fantastic, but the impressive thing is that this game is not, and i repeat NOT, a bad port at all to the pc. This game performs fantastically on my system and i get an average of 110 fps which is surprising as i was playing this game completely maxed out. One BIG criticism i have towards this game is that its TOO SHORT i managed to get through the whole story in 11 hours which is extremely disappointing as a loved playing this game but honestly i really believe that they can make this game longer and better. Having said that i think its worth holding out for the game until it goes on sale on steam because i don't believe it is worth the 29.99 that steam is selling it for, especially for the length of the game, but if you do get a chance to buy this game for cheap then its sure worth the money in my honest opinion. Hope this helps some of you guys out on a decision to buy this game. Expand
  69. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into.At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  70. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little toThe people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  71. Feb 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't like the name. DMC Devil May Cry. What's the logic in that? I was thinking that it will ruin the game this new Dante change, but I think that it's pretty cool and it has some of the old Dante's magic. I like how the new Vergil looks but I would expect more from him. The old Vergil was way cooler plus that I loved the women from previous DMC's. It feels like all the female characters are on screen to flash boobs and asses. Oh wait...they are.

I like how the combat system did not change. Only the part where I have to press A x2 than STOP and than mash to infinite and beyond. What's up with that? Like we needed that in the other DMC's. The whole series are based on mash, mash, mash and face mash controller moves. Really now, do you guys really take time to memo combos? Well, I have to admit, I know one: RT+X than RT+Y and all over again, The skill process is kind of the same as in DMC4, no change here or there's no change that I can notice.
    I don't like the Boss fights. Really, I don't like it. It's to easy. I have time to roll, jump and go and recover. Nothing challenging about Boss fight's. I like how the set was done. From the carnival to the energy drink factory to the up-side-down tower and the club scene. They really look good and I love how they used the Unreal Engine to change the world around you. The story is pretty kind of the same-ish. Except for the new Dante, Vergil, Kat and the Deamon and that the world is ran by demons and Dante, Vergil and Kat are set to stop them BUT here come DMC2, Vergil is evil. He wants to run the world. Ohhhhh...why didn't you say so? Is this a prequel to DMC3? Because I would expect a new DMC to come out, called DMC Devil May Cry DMC(Stupid name) and go by the story: Vergil wants to take over the world and he want to expand he's power so he can kill Dante and he want's to open a new hell gate. I really don't know why people are so in love with this new game or why the hate it. It's kind of the old series. Yes, at the end Dante will have white hair all over again. I would not rate it with 0,not just because is stupid, but because it's not a 0 mark game. It's a good game with great graphics with great control, great acting, great fighting combo system but the story it's kind of the same. Nothing new really under the sun. My score for this game is 7.
  72. Mar 5, 2013
    Combat sytem is fine.

Storyline sucks Dante is as hell and not the funny type of either. Just annoying. What happened to the fun and charming one-liners of the old Dante? What happened to the bad ass comebacks he would give to all the devils that stood in his way? His dialogue/script in this game is terrible and feels foreign. This isn't the Dante we've been used to. Dante's new
    Combat sytem is fine.

Storyline sucks

Dante's new model sucks baboon buttocks. They change his style and make fun of the original with the lame-*** wig comment on the 1st Mission. Dafaq is that?

This game is a slap to the face to DMC fans everywhere.

And why the does Devil Trigger have to launch everyone in the air? That's just plain annoying and the color scheme that comes along when you activate it makes it hard to see the enemies. This just begs for you to use the Aquila combo to gather the enemies up again.

And finally, the boss battles are sub-par to say the least. The mechanics are extremely cliche with mostly just hit and run tactics. I never got an adrenaline rush like I used to. The soundtracks weren't as amazing and blood boiling as they used to be. The final boss gave me a BIT of a rush but it wasn't anything close to the previous games in the series.

So many things wrong with this game. I'm just glad at least the combos and fighting pace are good. Not worth $50.
  73. Feb 7, 2013
    This is a very good game. I really don't understand all the criticism. Graphics are decent, artwork is great, story is a bit predictable but then again good v bad always is. Lots of customizations. Extra levels for the keys you find. Voice acting OK. Music by Noisia pretty good. I have played DMC games before and this doesn't stand out negatively. The comments regarding 'its not the realThis is a very good game. I really don't understand all the criticism. Graphics are decent, artwork is great, story is a bit predictable but then again good v bad always is. Lots of customizations. Extra levels for the keys you find. Voice acting OK. Music by Noisia pretty good. I have played DMC games before and this doesn't stand out negatively. The comments regarding 'its not the real Dante any more' really remind me of Mass Effect 3 backlash. Unfair. Expand
  74. Feb 9, 2013
    Done my first playthrough, and i dont feel pumped up to quickly play the game on Heaven or Hell or Legendary Dark Knight Mode like the previous DMC, this game got me bored on my second playthrough. The gameplay is just like God of War, no more styles, useless guns and ranged weapons, easier gameplay, grappling and platforming, which I really hate, and crappy character compared to previousDone my first playthrough, and i dont feel pumped up to quickly play the game on Heaven or Hell or Legendary Dark Knight Mode like the previous DMC, this game got me bored on my second playthrough. The gameplay is just like God of War, no more styles, useless guns and ranged weapons, easier gameplay, grappling and platforming, which I really hate, and crappy character compared to previous games, Vergil no longer a super cool dark character ,save your money guys, play on someone else's game, don't buy it. Expand
  75. Feb 15, 2013
    You'll either love it or hate it, with few in the middle ground. Graphically, it's sound, and game play is smooth. It's linear with little exploration more of a tunnel and enemies can force you into utilizing specific weaponry which can render some aspects of the combat repetitious. It contains profanity which seems more excessive than necessary in that the language loses impact/emotionYou'll either love it or hate it, with few in the middle ground. Graphically, it's sound, and game play is smooth. It's linear with little exploration more of a tunnel and enemies can force you into utilizing specific weaponry which can render some aspects of the combat repetitious. It contains profanity which seems more excessive than necessary in that the language loses impact/emotion but not to the extent of tourette syndrome Still, with it's generous style point reward and ease of execution, the game brings a new generation into the Devil May Cry universe. Expand
  76. Feb 28, 2013
    awesome gameplay, awesome story, fantastic art, beautiful characters and places, Dante is annoying at first but deep down he is the Dante we all Love, AMAZING REBOOT... just amazing...
  77. Mar 21, 2013
    This game is great and solid. A fantastic reboot. When playing this game, anyone can clearly see that they are using a younger (and possibly annoying/immature) Dante. The reboot offered a advanced fluid combat system. The developers had a lot to play around with the concept of Limbo and the characters were strong. Although this game offers change, the change was good and possibly needed.This game is great and solid. A fantastic reboot. When playing this game, anyone can clearly see that they are using a younger (and possibly annoying/immature) Dante. The reboot offered a advanced fluid combat system. The developers had a lot to play around with the concept of Limbo and the characters were strong. Although this game offers change, the change was good and possibly needed. Overall, great game. Expand
  78. Mar 22, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry, hearing this brings chills huh? Well, don't buy into the fans that killed their own series without trying the game. When I saw the initial press release for this game, I detested it. But do not fret! This is actually one of my favorites, and yes I've played all other Devil May Cry games, starting with the first. The graphics are pushed, the fighting style is differentDmC: Devil May Cry, hearing this brings chills huh? Well, don't buy into the fans that killed their own series without trying the game. When I saw the initial press release for this game, I detested it. But do not fret! This is actually one of my favorites, and yes I've played all other Devil May Cry games, starting with the first. The graphics are pushed, the fighting style is different but refreshing. Ignore the fan boys out there, this game deserves way more credit than it gets. Story is pretty nice, some changes with the series, all in all this game is definitely better than this user score. The story can be beat in about 11 hours, but it is short for a reason, it is meant to be replayed to achieve Hell Vs. Hell mode, where if you get hit once, you die, providing the ultimate difficulty and challenging experience. Expand
  79. Apr 17, 2013
    great game good fight good story well optimized and also best dante
    i was played all the devil may cry but this one is the best dmc in all 5 dmc.best hack n slash game in the world.
  80. Apr 28, 2013
    I'll be quick....
    +Fun game play =)
    +Creative =)
    +Amazing, and sometimes crazy level design. xD
    -Story could have been a lot better, i really mean it.
  81. Apr 30, 2013
    DmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooterDmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooter genre plus minus some gimmicky mechanics. Not saying shooter is bad, but if 7 out 10 games that came out are shooter, something is wrong.

DmC's gameplay is clearly lacking when compared to the older DMC, No lock on, slow paced combat, slow and unintuitive enemies, poor boss fights.
    In DmC we just have to hope that Dante attacks the enemy we want to attack, the lack of hard lock on diminish the precision of attacks or combos we could have and even become more apparent in vergil's downfall.
    Now when i say slow paced combat, i of course mean compared to the old series, even DMC3 is a lot faster in combat. This varies greatly with how you play, but generally this is because of the slow demon weapons, even when you only use it scarcely, the animation for it is taking so much time that it abruptly slow you down from your previous combos.
    The normal enemies are telegraphing their moved decades before they actually attack, hence at the end of the day they are no more than punching bags waiting to be slaughtered and provide no challenge at all... Some of the harder enemy, dreamrunner and drekavac,are actually challenging, but their near perfect blocking limits people in what they could use in a combo and break the flow of a combo more often mundane than challenging. Then there are those color coded enemies, the worst of all, because obviously for the same reason, but now they limit you more and their basic AI design is so boring when compared to dreamrunners. DmC insists on adding layers of shields rather than making their AI better, faster and more responsive.
    The boss fights could be the worst part of the game, if not for vergil and barbas. All of the other bosses are just giant punching bag that doesn't even know how to fight back and I'm talking about DMD difficulty.Talk about la big let down.

But even after all that, DmC is surprisingly fun to play, since it was designed to give you that awesome feeling even though you didn't do anything out of the ordinary. The aerial combat is too easy too pull but it makes up for some awesome visual feats. Now the design to make the game forgiving is rather understandable since it was to pull in some new people to the devil may cry, but it was rather too easy.

DmC is lacking in front of DMC(combat gameplay wise) but it is a great game when judged on its own merit.
    All in all DmC is a solid game when it stands alone. I'm even somewhat sure that if DmC:Devil may Cry was to be given new title, it would sold more.
  82. May 13, 2013
    i start playing the dmc saga with this game, I understand the critics of the fans that are accustomed to the oldest games of dmc but this game is pretty and awesome, have a atractive graphic section and the characters look cool,they are young and with a hard personality, Dante have other style but i think it's good for make sense that he has evoluted with the years and the game combat it'si start playing the dmc saga with this game, I understand the critics of the fans that are accustomed to the oldest games of dmc but this game is pretty and awesome, have a atractive graphic section and the characters look cool,they are young and with a hard personality, Dante have other style but i think it's good for make sense that he has evoluted with the years and the game combat it's atractive and explisive, i like the music put in the combats it helps a lot to go into game Expand
  83. Jun 1, 2013
    I grew tired of WoW, loved Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, and really enjoyed Batman Arkham City. I was lost as to what to play next that fit my taste. I tried DmC on a whim as it was on sale on steam and I have to say I've been blown away. The story is kinda teen-boy fantasy, but it's interesting enough to keep me engaged, and the fighting system is easy to learn but takes time to reallyI grew tired of WoW, loved Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, and really enjoyed Batman Arkham City. I was lost as to what to play next that fit my taste. I tried DmC on a whim as it was on sale on steam and I have to say I've been blown away. The story is kinda teen-boy fantasy, but it's interesting enough to keep me engaged, and the fighting system is easy to learn but takes time to really master. Super fun, like a mixture of Diablo III and Batman Arkham City, with beautiful graphics. Expand
  84. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm going start off by saying that i have played dmc 1 and 3 and enjoyed both very much. Now for this game, i know it is being criticized for not being true to the older games and i agree that in some ways it is unfaithful to the old franchise. But, i feel that the people who say that this game is bad are only comparing it to the original dmcs, and not for what it is: a good game. If youI'm going start off by saying that i have played dmc 1 and 3 and enjoyed both very much. Now for this game, i know it is being criticized for not being true to the older games and i agree that in some ways it is unfaithful to the old franchise. But, i feel that the people who say that this game is bad are only comparing it to the original dmcs, and not for what it is: a good game. If you forget about the first dmcs and just look at the game you will see how good it is. The combat is fluid, deep, and immensely fun, the story is very decent, and the the environment (limbo) is varied and often mind blowing. Even if you dont like new dante, that doesnt mean this game is bad Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2013
    Fan of the Devil May Cry series. Picked this up off of Steam when it was on sale. Have to hand it to the Ninja Theory developers, they made a very compelling reboot. Enjoyed the new Dante and Virgil, they both were very well written. Combat was fast paced and as entertaining as its predecessors. Overall I give it a 10/10
  86. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is A W E S O M E!!!!!!!
  87. Aug 9, 2013
    I really wanted to write something constructive. Even mention the few positive aspects of this game but I just can't. It's so overhyped. The original DMC games weren't masterpieces. And reboot idea seemed interesting. Unfortunately Ninja Theory can't see farther than the tip of their own nose. No respect for the original franchise and the fans. Strong badass character turned into weird emoI really wanted to write something constructive. Even mention the few positive aspects of this game but I just can't. It's so overhyped. The original DMC games weren't masterpieces. And reboot idea seemed interesting. Unfortunately Ninja Theory can't see farther than the tip of their own nose. No respect for the original franchise and the fans. Strong badass character turned into weird emo kid. Story is ridiculously stupid and doesn't even try to make any sense. It has as much emotion as rubber duck. People who made this game obviously have no idea of general concept of what they tried to create cause it all seems exactly like if a 13 years old kid thought it makes him cool and badass to swear. Action/gameplay is okay though I enjoyed the one in DMC 3 for example more. Enemies in those games were often kinda silly looking so let's not get into that. Visuals are disappointing. Would expect much more for a 2013 game. Same with the general flow. I can see why some people may like this game. I don't understand how professional critiques can so blindly give it such high score though. I assume Capcom paid a lot for that. And sales show how big success this game was...not. No surprise there. The company chose to make this game was just a mistake. Expand
  88. Feb 28, 2014
    This is my game of 2013, I'm playing it for the fourth time now. Why? Well:

This is my game of 2013, I'm playing it for the fourth time now. Why? Well:

The Design: I love the way the "daemon" worlds is build on top of a modern city. That way there is a lot of viarity while the game is always maintaining a fitting mood. The setting Is not necessarily unique, but surly vivid and keeps my interest for the longest time. The well chosen effects add their "WOW" in the right moments. Even the enemy and boss designs are kept at this level.

The Fight-system: Is fast-paced, slick, evolving, making space for a variety of fighting-styles. Even though easy to pick up there is lots of techniques that will take more then one play-throught master. For example changing weapons quickly is actually useful, even in boss-battles, air becomes your friend later on and using guns in the middle of a slashing-spree Is quite difficult but very useful when done right.

The Story: What do you expect from a slash em up? Well It's much better then that. Not that the overall story would have been ground breaking, but scenery are made with much love to the detail and the characters. For example the background story is being told while Dante and Virgil are walking across a yard and visualised by street-graffiti.

Unlocks: I'm not talking about Achievements here: What I love is the huge library of character and production artwork you will unlock over the time. I just love it, its well presented and of great quality. Also there Is no limit in hard-modes, there rewarding and different - so again replaying is fun!

If you're looking for a high quality slash 'n hack with allot of replay-value, then this game is for you!
  89. Oct 17, 2013
    Worst DMC ever in all time! 1. Terrible graphics compared with dmc 4; 2. Terrible emeny design. All emenies are kinds of zombie and they just slightly differ from each other. 3. Terrible Boss design. Besides the bee queen and the TV station guy, all the rest boss looks like Especially, the final boss, all he could do is keeping using his poor hand to hit you and nothing else. ComparedWorst DMC ever in all time! 1. Terrible graphics compared with dmc 4; 2. Terrible emeny design. All emenies are kinds of zombie and they just slightly differ from each other. 3. Terrible Boss design. Besides the bee queen and the TV station guy, all the rest boss looks like Especially, the final boss, all he could do is keeping using his poor hand to hit you and nothing else. Compared with bosses in dmc4, the bosses in DmC are jokes. I just wondering how much money did you foolish british company spend on this game? 100 pounds or 1000? Expand
  90. Apr 5, 2014
    The game is good but it's created 100% for consoles. The movement, the fights, everything. May be if I owned a console would play it, but after the first mission I uninstalled it.
  91. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  92. Mar 4, 2013
    Great game, great reboot of a favorite classic! Looks wonderful on PC, is hellova fun to play I really enjoyed the fact that there's a lot more depth to the story at long last.
    Oh yeah, one other thing I really got over the bad new hair by the time the game came to an end ;)
    Looking forward to more in the years to come!
  93. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

The combat is incredibly simple and slow. Due to the fact that almost every one of your attacks has a large AoE you can simple mash Y and you'll win most fights and gain SSS ranks on the way, pressing LT/RT is optional. The game basically hands out stylish kills with minimal effort from the player. DMC 3/4 would have you switching weapons after every combo, constantly dashing around the battle and making split second decisions, this game however, instead of making the combat complex and rewarding to skillful players it cops out and simply shows you fancy animations and crunchy sounds and let bad players feel like the best.

The red/blue enemies are incredibly frustrating to fight, they limit you to 1/3rd of your attacks killing any kind of creativity and freedom. They're not difficult, or interesting, they're boring. The blue ones are worse since the angel weapons do very little single target damage.

Many of the enemies have an invulnerability state of some kind (witches shield, dreamrunner blocking everything) or in the case of the chainsaw and big buzzsaw things; large sweeping attacks that are unavoidable if you're close to them. In both cases the only thing you can do is sit back and wait them out this is just frustrating and boring.

The AI in general is things just stand around you never attacking, they only seem to notice you if you're stood right next to them and they just don't seem to do anything at all if they're not on screen.

The controls are clunky, since stinger (or the equivalent on other weapons) is activated by pressing Y" i'll often find myself activating it when I didn't intend to just from moving around. Also since there's no lock-on function it's a pain to keep sight of something and I have no real idea what I'm going to hit, I can't count the number of times I've use the grapple thing on something I didn't want.

There's a cutscene almost literally every minute, even if it's just for a few seconds. They're always there, at the beginning, middle and end of a fight, constantly breaking up the action and taking control away from the player, to add to that they're also all unskippable, at least the first time round.

The platforming, why is it there? Nobody liked it in the other DMC's or any other hack and slash game for that matter, why do they keep adding it? Sure, it actually works now and isn't clunky as all hell, but it's incredibly linear, simplistic and boring, it's like a glorified quicktime event.

The boss fights all boil down to "hit the big glowing thing". All their attacks are easily avoided and their isn't much challenge to it at all. They're basically all set pieces that have you meet a certain criteria before you can mindlessly wail on them for a while. The best boss is easily Vergil, but even then he's incredibly easy, and they couldn't resist breaking up the fight with about 5 cutscenes.

Yeah, this game actually has a story now, but it's incredibly pretentious, it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, very grimdark. The dialogue is bad and often very cringe inducing and the characters are generic and boring. The old Dante was like a cartoon character, he was interesting and funny. Sure he wasn't exactly relatable but his whole attitude suited the game's theme perfectly.

I will say though that I do like the soundtrack, at least the Combichrist stuff. Also whilst the game looks very nice, the constant intense colours gave me a bit of eye strain.

All in all, it's a HUGE step-down from previous DMC games, the game is more akin to God of War than DMC. It's sad to see one of my favorite franchises replaced by this...
  94. Feb 3, 2013
    Good PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first threeGood PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first three difficulties but after that you can choose even higher difficulties and those are pretty neat. Whether or not you like the soundtrack is a matter of taste but it really fitted the action and vibe of the game. (I really liked it). It's a shame that people weigh the flaws of this game so high in comparison to all the good stuff. For most of those people it probably didn't matter what they would have made this game into, they would just hate it for not being the dmc they are used to. It's not their fault, they were just biased because of the new way the franchise went in and because of it, payed much more attention to the flaws and forgot about many of the great things this game does. REALLY REALLY hope they will continue this version of dmc.

This game gets an 8 from me but because of the many haters i will give it a 10 over here.
  95. Feb 3, 2013
    I simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolvingI simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolving persona, changing from the "I don't give a damn" mindset into a good character the player can somewhat relate to (as far as a human can relate to a nephilim anyways). The combat is great! The one exception being the game forcefully making the player have to use angel or demonic weapons against a specific type (read color) of enemy, extremely fluid and well balanced.

Overall the game has a decent story (appalled at how can the professional websites give full reviews of what seems to be 3 hours of gameplay), great and well paced combat combined with simple yet engaging platforming and puzzle solving (with less emphasis on the latter), and a quite big ammount of replayability, not on doing pointless achievement whoring, but on actually unlocking bonus missions of variable difficulty! Would 100% recommend this game to any fan of the action spectacle fighter style gameplay.
  96. Mar 8, 2013
    Definitely a game worth playing, combat is intense and involving. Entry barrier has been lowered for newcomers to the series, but still has higher difficulty levels for more experienced players so that they can enjoy it, too.

Cons: Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw. Devil Trigger is underwhelming. I personally did not get along with the

Cons:
    Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw.
    Devil Trigger is underwhelming.
    I personally did not get along with the camera at certain times.
    Victory over enemy waves is often times more rewarding than defeating bosses.
    The new characters are boring/difficult to connect to.
    Some of Dante's lines are overly cheesy.

While not a glaring issue, I also believe that Style ratings and performance grade reach their apex too easily.

Pros:
    Visuals are amazing
    Combat is intense and involving
    The concept of Limbo is very cool
    The idea that a demon is controlling the world with debt is an interesting one
    Music selection is good, I think that an early Gallows could have done great work for this game.

I think that it is unfortunate that there is so much controversy surrounding this game, because so many people are just angry about a haircut and the change of personality in a character that was always kind of an airhead anyway.

I feel like if the series continues to go on, that Dante is probably going to gradually turn into something that resembles his character from previous games anyway. The game is a reset of the series. We were all young once, expressing our emotions strongly and forcing old people to endure our youthful tirades.

But definitely a game worth buying or checking out!
  97. Feb 9, 2013
    Epic game. This game combines the combat system of the 3rd part with the demonic arm type addition from the 4th game, while at the same time improving both. The story is really strong with the only negative thing being that the characters development could be a little bit better. Overall a solid game with a great fighting system, solid story and amazing graphics.
  98. Jan 29, 2013
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphicsI would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphics appears on the PS3. Screen tearing and some load times between bosses. Other than That, I think the game looks fantastic. Limbo was one of the best ideas I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. The wold twists and contorts as Dante get dragged down into limbo. Concerning the new look of Dante and Vergil, I really like the new Dante look. I know to some he looks edgy, but over all he doesn't look terrible. You start to realize that this new look of Dante correlates to his personality and character in the story. Vergil on the other had doesn't appeal to me as much. I understand that there's also a story based reason as to why he looks the way he does, but I just don't particularly like it. I can appreciate the work and detail that went into the design of the new Vergil. He doesn't look bad, I'm just not too fond of his new look. I'm sure some of you guys and gals will like it though. Now we get to the story. The main plot of the game isn't that original, but still rather enjoyable. Its no Lord of the Rings, but its still enjoyable. I'm going to compare DmC to Pitch Perfect. Both have really predictable stories, but both also have some amazing characters in their story. DmC's strength doesn't necessarily lie in its main plot, but rather the characters in the plot. This is the first time we see an unsure Dante. He's lost and finds some sort of meaning after meeting up with his long lost brother Vergil. Vergil on the other hand is strong, confident, and has a brilliant mind. Seeing Dante change from a bitter emo teen, to a young adult that is trying to not only find a place where he belongs, but is also trying to do right by everyone he loves. I would like to commend Ninja Theory again on the brilliant characters in this game. As much as I want to hate the new Dante's personality, I can't. This is because I understand where he's coming from because Ninja Theory made sure that you connect with him as a character and not just your avatar in the game. There's a new character named Kat. She's Vergils right hand and is Dante's partner on the field. What we as gamer's expect from a female character in a Devil May Cry game is that they would be Dante's love interest. That's not the case here. Instead of she loving Dante, she ends up loving Vergil. This will make all the difference in the story because for the first time, Dante is considered 2nd best in his world. Its usually Dante is the cool guy that gets the girl all the time. Not this time around. Time for Gameplay. Its amazing. I know some people were really turned off when they found out that the game would run at 30 frames instead of 60, but you don't really notice it. The combat is fun, fast paced, and it caters to the creative side of the player. It allows you to think up and create new ways to dish out the pain. I must have spent a good 8 whole hours (not 8 hours straight. Jesus.) in the training mode just thinking up new ways to reach the coveted SSS rank. The bosses aren't all that great to fight, but some of them are just amazing to look at ( I'm looking at you Bob Barbas) Speaking of ranks, the style rank this time around is really user friendly. Although it does take some skill to get the SSS rank we all want so much, it doesn't take as much skill as opposed to the likes of DMC3 and DMC4. Although it is sort of a turn off, I still feel that sense of accomplishment when I get that SSS rank. (but then I remember that its a lot easier to get and SSS rank in this game, then I feel horrible and start crying out of shame for feeling proud). Dante now has 2 kind of weapons, Angel and Demon. Angel weapons move fast while Demonic ones hit like a motherf*****. My problem with this is that there are only 2 weapons per type. The older DMC's gave tons of weapons to play with, why couldn't this one? I would guess its because they wanted the game to cater to newer players. Which is fine. (but please release a weapon pack. No really. That would be dope. Thanks.) Platforming in the game is incredibly fun. I'm not so big on platforming, but moving around in this game was incredibly fun. I felt like I was a badass while jumping of a ledge, swinging my way through a warped and disfigured factory where all the crates, and shelves were flying around. Platforming is fun. Plain and simple. Over all I think the new DmC is a blast. It does deserve a chance, and people shouldn't base their opinions because of hair colour. I would give DmC: Devil May Cry an 8.9/10. Expand
  99. Jan 26, 2013
    Why Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the levelWhy Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the level design but even that started getting stale real fast.Simply put this is like DMC2 all over again look you guys need to go back to your roots and stop outsourcing your franchises simple as that Expand
  100. Jan 26, 2013
    It's a shame so many people are giving this a negative review without even playing it. That's like Amazon reviewers giving a product a 0 because of a shipping issue. Garbage...

I've been a fan of the series since 1 and have played every one since then. I wouldn't call myself a die hard fan, but maybe that's a good thing looking at these terrible fanboy negative reviews. As a game, I

As a game, I thought it played great! Ninja Theory did an excellent job of paying tribute to the original series (from gameplay, story, visuals, etc.) without it being an "abomination" as some call it. Combat was fluid and felt visceral which is what DmC shines at. I actually liked the story and VO better than the original series. The old games came off a bit cheesy here and there, whereas DmC has a more down to earth approach.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a solid game and looks amazing on my HTPC with the great PC version framerate. Looking forward to the sequel! :)

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.