6.7

1. Jun 22, 2013
    I haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay and level design rather than arbitrarily. The cutscenes in this game are actually worth watching, and at the end of every level you want to know what's next in the story. The voice acting is amongst the finest I've come across too. But let's get down to it: what this game's really about is the fast-paced hectic combat. The game does a great job of introducing everything to you and incorporates this very well into the level design. There are a fair load of moves and these are cleverly split using Angel and Demon modes. Ninja Theory really thought hard about how to include a lot of distinct moves into a fast-paced game without the need for more technical inputs. The controls are great (when using Xbox 360 controller) and are easy to pick up. The combat is perhaps one of the most creative in the genre due to the number of moves, enemies and the pacing. Everything has a point and isn't there purely for style it's actually useful. There's also a training mode for testing out different combinations of attacks. Although creative, the combat isn't as hard-hitting or satisfying as Batman because it doesn't punish button mashing or require a lot of precision. However, as with the level design, the combat is totally psychedelic. There are some basic RPG elements present too. Collectibles and some objects give you money which can spent on health upgrades or extra lives. You also gain upgrades in a similar fashion to Batman in which you can spend on special moves to add to your arsenal. As you'd expect, you are given a score at the end of each level based on your performance. This does seem to slightly overrate how well you did compared to the individual breakdown of components, but hat isn't a bad thing I suppose. The difficulty levels are just right, and scoring system isn't too bad either. Overall, DmC is a great action game in all aspects. The graphics are incredible even though they don't require a supercomputer, the story is decent, level design isn't dull and combat is as it should be fast and fun. All the elements in the game complement the style so well, there doesn't seem to be anything out of place. The combat demolishes Arkham City for variety, since there are around 60 different moves (not to mention the different combinations and juggling), there are lots of different enemies and every level is different. There's always something new, and the level design is unlike anything you've ever come across because it's so unconventional. There aren't any fundamental criticisms I have of this game. If you want a fast-paced action game with a strong emphasis on combat and level design and a decent story AND is NOT generic, DmC is the best game for it. Expand
  2. Jun 27, 2013
    ok when i first saw the trailer of this game and saw someone that looks weird and calling himself dante i was like hell no this will suck ass cause the older dante played a major role in the success of the series but as a huge fan of dmc i had to play this one and let me tell you it is a great game the gameplay is so good with so many weapons that you'll never see it repetitive and the graphics in this game is so awesome really really good so what i didn't like about this game is pretty much the whole story was predictable and the new dante isn't that bad but what frustrated me is that in a scene a blue fake hair lands on his head and he became very much like the older dante and then he says not in a million year i saw that as an insult to the fans of the series in the end loved the game play loved the graphhics and the story is not that good but still satisfying Expand
  3. Mar 11, 2013
    Even though the dumb Devil May Cry fanboys can't seem to read, this DmC REBOOT (just pointing out that it's a REBOOT, DMCfans. Reboot.) is one of the visually best games of the year so far, with extremely fun gameplay, an amazing storyline and tons of replayability.
  4. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of the finest brawler/slash-em-up games ever. On top of the excellent and intuitive control system that lets you unleash your combo fury (that is easy to access, hard to master) it has the most amazing art direction it could possibly have.

Ninja Theory continues its streak of GREAT games and playing it on the PC on 60 fps really helps the action and the responsiveness a lot.

Here's to one of the most underappreciated (by users) games of all time. And all because of some hair color.

It combines the combat of previous DMC games with the Angel/Devil (L/R Triggers) weapons to execute the most seamlessly combat flow ever. The story is not for everyone, though it's certainly an improvement of the series, but the combat is miles ahead both of the previous games and the competition.

Is it better than... say... God of War, Castlevania: LOS, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising...? DmC has the best combat of them all. Not the best game, though it's certainly the best of the series by far.
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    not sure what the critics are smoking. The worst aspect of this game is the fact that it is just plain boring. DMC is and always should be fun, but the combat in this game is so simplistic it just put me to sleep. The graphics are good, the creative level design and artistic style is solid and inspired, and the story is well integrated into the game play. I can appreciate all these things, but the game play itself is just boring, and why they made Dante look like middle school bully, instead of a badass from another world makes absolutely no sense. Every time I looked at his face I just wanted to punch him, and whoever created him, in the face. The point of a video game is to play as someone else, someone you would want to be, and feel like a bad ass. Instead I got to play as a character that looked like an pedophile. If I could have kicked my own ass I would have. That would make a better game. Take this monkey looking punk, and beat the crap out of him. I would play that. Expand
  6. Dec 16, 2013
    A visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn't worth the then high asking price. It's no doubt a game I would recommend at a discounted price. If I were to complain about a few things then it would be, that some of the boss fights are massively grindy, also I think there are slightly too many combat moves and upgrades. The tunnel-like linearity of the game isn't too much of a problem, as the levels are well-designed and looks like plenty of effort went into them. The story twist at final "boss" is the biggest let down and feels just plain wrong. Anyone giving this game a 0 or a 10 is completely nuts. Currently the User Score is 6.5 and I'd say that's slightly low, but not far off the reality. Expand
  7. May 14, 2013
    This game is fantastic. I thought they did an excellent job showing us a young Dante. I'm 26 and I've played every DMC game from start to finish. I don't understand the hate for this game at all. The action is cool, the voice acting is solid, and the story is fun to watch unfold. I would have enjoyed some longer cutscenes to flesh out the story a bit more, but what's there is interesting and enjoyable. I don't mind that Dante is no longer half-human, not really a big deal in my opinion. I'll be looking forward to a sequel. Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    I played DmC for free on PS+ and this was also my first DmC. I have played hack-n-slash games like God of War and never particularly liked them. However, I did like DmC and its combat mechanics.

There are A LOT of weapons in DmC. If they didn’t space their reveals out so well, it could easily be cumbersome to try and combo with all of the different weapon types. Even for someone that is
    not skilled in these types of games, I did fairly well.

The atmosphere is one of the best this generation. For a game that plays heavily on Light and Dark themes, there is a dynamic color palette. The set-pieces are very pretty. However, in the former stages of the game, there are a few too many ground crumbling, impending doom concrete sequences. Overall, the PS3 framerate was satisfactory.

One of the biggest disappointments is the length. It couldn’t have been more than 8 hours for the core story. With such attention to detail to the environment every second of the story, it is easy to see why. The benefit of the duration is that there was never a dull moment and the game was well paced.

I thought the dialogue was actually pretty decent. A little too “punkish”, but still felt very real given the characters situation.

The combat surprised me the most. For a game that shares much with God of War, I was amazed how much I liked it and how easy it was to make it look fluid.
  9. Feb 21, 2013
    A really nice reboot. I was one of the hater who hated Ninja Theory for redesigned Dante too. The thing is, everything else except the look of the characters has lived up to my expectations. I would like to play the sequel of DmC. The only thing I can complain is that the game is too easy, so easy that smashing buttons can achieve SSS grades. Please make it more challenging in the next game.
  10. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 60 FPS, increased resolution and textures don't make up for all the shortcomings of this game.

I want to start saying that DmC was my first Devil May Cry game, and I found it decent at first. However, the more I played, the more repetitive and nonsensical the game became.
    Platforming is a chore. Air dash here, grapple this and that. Combat consists of spamming Aquilas and the Axe, along with Demon Evade. There is literally no incentive to vary your combos, since the style meter is driven by damage and not combo variety.
    Another thing that bothered me was that I played on Hard (Nephilim) but it felt like I was playing on easy. Enemies simply stand there waiting for you to whack them. Don't get me started on the bosses; they were simply horribly designed, boring and way too easy. Mundus is a joke and Vergil is simply a terrible final boss. Whole game feels rushed, too.
    The dialogue was bad. Dante can't deliver one liners and instead relies on cheap insults to compensate. The story is stupid and there are parts that simply don't make sense or even try to be relevant. Characterization is almost nonexistant, and the plot twist is predictable from miles away.
    Combat is weak. There are too little upgrades and moves, along with few potential for variation. Your weapons are overpowered and you'll find yourself spamming an attack to win in most cases. The game also likes to take control off your hands a lot with cutscenes in the middle of battle. That is unforgivable on this genre.
    The music is horrible and does not fit at all. Animations are decent, but only on Dante. Bosses suffer due to this. (see vergil, his animations are trash.)
    The game also has a lot of bugs with collision, which is why I'm not sure if this was properly beta-tested. There is also a major bug on the final Boss.

One point the game gets is the ambientation. Dynamic scenario mutation looks great, and some levels are very creative, like the club one and the one about the media. Nice color palettes.

With all of this in mind, I decided to give the originals a spin and god damn, they're much, much better. Don't waste your time with this trash and go play DMC 1, 3 and 4. Much deeper mechanics and more finely-crafted in general. DmC Gets a 3/10 from me for all its flaws and shortcomings.
  11. Aug 2, 2013
    Wielu zamartwiało się nad odnowieniem tak popularnej serii hack'n slashów. Twórcy podeszli do tego porządnie, i sprostali zadaniu jak najlepiej mogli. Piękna grafika, wciągająca fabuła i straasznie przyjemna grywalność pozwala mi mówić o jak na razie najlepszej grze roku. Twórcy jak najbardziej rozbudowali DmC. Dali wiele broni, wiele rodzajów przeciwników jak i wiele ciekawych miejscówek. Przy tej grze po prostu nie da się nudzić. Tak jakby, bo końcówkę gry twórcy strasznie przedłużali i nie zaskakiwali pomysłami. Gra ma do tego mniejsze wady. Pewne tekstury nie wyglądają na dopracowane, jednak nie przeszkadza to cieszyć się z tej świetnej gry. Jak na razie, gra roku. Moja ocena 9/10 Expand
  12. Feb 4, 2013
    It's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visuals and creative level designs, it's still a good game. Expand
  13. Apr 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed this one. I don't mind the new Dante, as I never really got into the older titles. This is so action packed and intense you will get lost in it for hours. This game is constantly throwing new skills, moves and weapons at you through the entire game until the very end so it always feels fresh. Play it.
  14. Apr 10, 2014
    Challenging, well built protagonist, huge variety of gameplay moves and attacks. The graphics are awesome and the story is non-realistic, but attractive. I guess it's none that I don't like, but it should be more.
  15. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  16. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a Bayonetta wannabe is not that bad if done properly, however, despite coming out three years after the mentioned title, it feels incomplete if compared to it. It is still a funny game though, but not sure if it's worth the money it costs.
  17. Sep 12, 2014
    decent but uninspired. graphically quite good and didnt have any issues with freezes and crashes. combat is generally decent but too often you get caught up generally doing the same things over and over again which becomes repetitive fast. but way short on content and game finished a bit too quickly. New Game+ should not be primarily relied upon to add content/play-time.
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    New DmC is very dynamics, very interesting and very clever game. It has breathtaking gameplay, enthralling story. I think. that "fans" of previous games about Dante is very wrong. They think, if developers changed skin of Dante and game design then game will be very bad and not intersting. Do not believe them. It very good slasher. On this moment, it is the best game of this winter.
  19. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  20. Mar 23, 2013
    I was first introduced to the Devil May Cry word with DMC 4. I enjoyed it somewhat, but I found that the game had a lot of padding. Pointless challenges that did nothing but extend the length of the game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a much slicker, streamlined affair that concentrates more on stylish swordplay than trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do next. That's not to say that there no elements of exploration in the latest game, but they do not get in the way of the hacking and slashing.,
    I must admit I didn't care much for the original Dante so the introduction of the new Dante did not phase me in the slightest. Great graphics that perform extremely well even on low end hardware, great fun with swords and excellent level design.
    The low scores you see all over the place reflect the game fan's disappointment with the main character being changed. That's fair enough. But as a game, it's hard not to say it's great.
  21. Feb 22, 2013
    The gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was pretty good. People who are complaining about this game either never played it or want to hate it just because it's different. Expand
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck
    (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  23. Mar 1, 2013
    Most people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far too frequent double sword enemies that warp in and out) The visuals vary from mind-boggling beautiful to washed out, tacky, early unreal engine awfulness, the biggest culprit being the deplorable cutscenes. After what ninja theory was able to accomplish in enslaved and heavenly sword, I had to shake my head at some of the writing and delivery. I would have preferred the style of the still art they used on occasion with some sparse animation in some of the exposition scenes. Oh, and P.S., the camera will your up in a few scenes. Good effort, let's regroup on this one and come back with a vengeance. Expand
  24. Sep 20, 2014
    Odio a los idiotas que le dan 0,1 y 2 a este juego, este es un gran reboot.. ¿Por que lo odian? ¿Por la nueva apariencia y personalidad de Dante? Si esto fuera un Remak de el primer o el tercer juego valdría que fuera el mismo Dante, pero este es un reboot no tiene que ser igual. Quitando la comparación del nuevo y el viejo Dante este juego es sin dudas increíble y muy bueno. Fan boy: NO, NO LO ES, DANTE ES UN EMO Y.... Y.... Y LO ODIO. No es un emo y no es un muerto que habla, en comparación con el original tampoco lo parece, el Dante antiguo esta sobre valorado. Yo no he jugado todos los Devil May Cry antiguos, solo el 3, pero Dante me parece un tipo duro muy torpe y poco mas. En DMC3 siempre la cagaba, no podía hacer algo sin que la cosa saliera mal. No siempre salía mal todo, pero era algo constante que podías esperar con seguridad en las cinemáticas. También hay gente que dice que el combate es malo por no ser uno completamente nuevo e innovador ya que usan algunas cosas de los anteriores DMC. El combate es buenísimo no hay duda, no es 100% nuevo ni innovador, es una mezcla de todo lo bueno del DMC3 con nuevas armas y habilidades. Otra cosa es que por lo que he oído la historia del DMC3 y DMC4 de los antiguos tenían la mejor historia de la serie antigua, pero eso no es decir mucho, e oído que DMC3 y DMC4 tienen la misma calidad de historia. ¿Y que había? pues en DMC3 tenias un hermano que viene a conquistar el mundo y lo vas a matar, FIN. Había drama (bien echo por cierto) pero uno podía sentir que no era la gran cosa por que era una precuela del DMC1, así que uno ya sabia que Dante sobreviviría y le ganaría. Aquí la historia es mucho mejor, si la tuviera que puntuar seria un 07/10, mejor que en DMC3, si tuviera que puntuar DMC3 seria un 05/10. Hay gente que dice que el combate y dificultad son un chiste. Pues todos son Fanboys por que la dificultad es buena. Hay 7 dificultades, las 3 primeras son fácil, medio y difícil, pero las otras 4 son una locura que te dará un muy buen reto. DMC3 me parece muy difícil en dificultad normal, mientras que este me parece justo con principiantes. Por lo que lo recomiendo para entrar a la franquicia, y si eres de los que les gusta los retos, los 4 modos de dificultad extra son muy muy difíciles de superar. Lo mas malo del juego seria que los personajes principales no son tan agradables como los originales, en eso tienen razón los fans y fanboys del original, Dante y Vergil no son tan agradables pero seguro que lo arreglan en los siguientes juegos. Este es un gran reboot. Pero tiene fallas en algunas partes, como que a veces los enemigos le darán al aire y te pegaran a ti, o que algunas escenas no se pueden saltar y molesta mucho cuando quieres apresurarte en un nivel. Este juego tiene mucha rejugabilidad y es un trabajo bien echo al final. Le doy un 08/10. Si los próximos DmC tienen la misma calidad de este juego, entonces me pueden considerar un fan del reboot. Expand
  25. Sep 4, 2014
    Not the best Devil May Cry game by any means but definitely a good one. It had its flaws but still, it was fun. Nice soundtrack, ok gameplay (it could have been better), ok bosses (could have been better too) and ok levels and story as well. Dante was ok too although he was **** compared to the original. The previous games top this one easily but that doesn't make it a bad one. A decent, fun game.
  26. May 23, 2014
    I loved this reboot of the DMC series. Also, people need to calm down about the Young Dante, it's a "REBOOT" if they started it where they left off then it wouldn't be a reboot, it'd be a continuation. I do admit this game has many flaws of what Dante, and Vergil originated from and the dialogue is the same as always, awkward and too cheesy. This games story that began it all, really doesn't make much sense but don't try to **** me and say the DMC series has had a good story. I'd recommend this to you if you wanted to pass about 12 hours, haha. It's an averagely good game. Expand
  27. Feb 1, 2013
    Visceral, creative, well-written, fun. These are four aspects that instantly spring to mind when thinking of DMC. This game just reeks of high production values and ensures there is never a dull moment. A thoroughly enjoyable experience for action fans. Highly recommended.
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    This is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that is downright unreasonable. This is a reboot of the series made by a new developer, so QUIT GIVING IT ONES AND ZEROES. Moving on. The first thing I noticed is that this is an excellent PC port. While I played DmC 3 and 4 on their respective consoles due to the general crappiness of the ports, I played DmC on my computer and loved it. The graphics were astounding with the HD upgrades, and the combat was butter smooth at 90 FPS. The second thing I noticed was the voice acting. As much as I love the previous installments in the series, the voice acting has always been downright awful, and this change was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The third thing I noticed was that the combat was FUN, unlike what so many users will have you think. Sure, it's missing the style system and the Stylish Rank gauge has been declawed, but the combat is fast, fluid, and completely worthy of any previous DmC title. Sound, visual, and enemy design is perfect, without an iota of overstatement. Limbo is a thrilling, diverse, and visually stunning setting, and the level design reflects that with each group of levels taking you to a new and shockingly unique setting. The enemy design is delightfully dark, featuring everything from weak, shambling biomechanical nightmares to demonic ninjas with masks sewn to their heads. As a fan of the New Phyrexia set from Magic: The Gathering, I just loved *looking* at the bad guys. In terms of sound, each weapon has a unique and entirely satisfying battery of noises, from the classic 'swoosh, schwing' of Rebellion to the ethereal roar of Osiris, and all this is backed up by music that is an awesome fusion of pulsing electronic and hardcore metal. Overall, as a fan of Devil May Cry, as a fan of action games, and as a PC gamer, I've got to say that DmC: Devil May Cry is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. It lacks some of the combat depth and brutal difficulty showcased by its predecessors, and the inability to manually lock on is a genuine frustration at times, but the impossibly high development values and bursting package of thrilling, new visual ideas and epic boss fights more than makes up for the shortcomings. If you're a PC gamer and a fan of spectacle fighters, a genre woefully underrepresented on PC, then it'd be a crime not to pick this game up. Expand
  29. Feb 17, 2013
    A pretty good game with few downsides. The first thing people notice is the reboot has changed a lot of things. First there is the new Dante, who is far inferior to the original Dante both visually and as a character, as he appears as a generic guy with very little appeal as a character. Same goes for Vergil and Kat. The story is nothing special, but it does it's part in this type of game. Graphics are nothing spectacular technically, but it gives the game nice visuals combined with the twisted environments of the Limbo. Gameplay is simpler than the previous DMC games, but it is still a lot of fun. The color-coded weapon and enemy system is a bit juvenile and rather than increasing the difficulty by making some enemies immune to certain weapons, it's more likely to be irritating. Lastly, the game is a very good port with extensive options and works great with a keyboard. Expand
  30. Apr 8, 2013
    Just because of a change in style does not make a game bad. Dmc is a very fun game, it really engages you trying to keep that combo and making your fights stylish. Dante carries a very wide range of weapons, each with their own unique abilities. I also like how some enemies are vulnerable to only certain abilities, making you have to switch. The story feels much more creative and unique than the previous devil may cry games. Camera controls feel less quirky than in Dmc 4.
    I would like to see some harder difficulty levels though. DmC would be better than the previous dmcs if it could match its difficulty level, which made the previous versions very intense.
  31. Feb 20, 2013
    Un juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los haters cambien de opinión y dejen de pendejadas con el nuevo dante.. Expand
  32. Nov 7, 2013
    Very nice and much better than previous games about white onime!11 Dante!!! I'm only sad about new Vergil, but other stuff is freaking awesome
    A must-buy game for any fan
  33. Feb 9, 2013
    This game is not bad enough to deserve a 0. Yes, it's been dumbed down to obtain a larger audience, but so is everything. Blame the world for being dumber, not the developers for trying to sell their game.
    Combat is not horrible, altough I do miss the lock-on target; and the fact that pretty much every single attack hits multiple enemies makes most of the fights too easy.
    I've never
    cared much for stories in videogames (if I wanna watch a B movie, I'll watch a B movie) so I dont appreciate the abuse of unskippable cutscenes in the middle of a supposedly fast paced action game. Visuals were pretty good even if the level design was poor (just a linear corridor, using a grappling whip every once in a while doesnt change anything), and I think thats it. Better than DmC 4, worse than DmC 3, a 6 is a fair score. Expand
  34. Feb 24, 2013
    This is an awesome game.
    Great music,intense action,beautiful graphics,and it is well optimized.(Even on my p4 3.0ghz CPU runs it mostly well.
    IF you like slashing demons,and want something really new,try this.
    DmC has a nice replayability factor too with collectables and many difficulity mode.
    This is a must-have game for everyone,even if you didn't like the older ones.
  35. Sep 11, 2013
    Having an unbiased opinion, (I have never paid attention to the previous Devil May Cry Games in any way) I can say that DmC is an amazingly fun game. It's fast-paced, looks fantastic and has an awesome atmosphere, owed to by it's great soundtrack. The combat is designed well and allows any amateur with enough brain cells to slash through the demonic horde, but more fiendish difficulties and a mind-boggling combo system will keep veterans playing and improving for months. The story is also quality. Coherent and refreshingly simple. The only flaw of this game is that a couple of boss fights feel rushed and stuck together with jam, but the rest are memorable occasions. Overall a great action game for all action game fans. Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2013
    When I saw the new Dante, I was hating the game before it game out. Beeing bored I decided to buy it, expecting nothing from it, however, I was amazed by how good it is. For those who still have doubt, you can play Dante with white Hair aswell, in fact (little spoiler) at the end his normal hair becomes white aswell. As for him beeing an emo, not true, dont listen to the haters, try it out, for me it was the best DMC so far. Expand
  37. May 8, 2014
    this game doesn't respect this name to have.I know is an reboot but for the love of GOD .. change it into "DevilGayCry" and than is ok...this game's story is pathetic and the character's design is just soo poor and unexpected bad also the dialogue is ahahahaha
  38. Jul 19, 2014
    Ok look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punk tone it will become dated quickly. even now i look at the game and find it hasn't aged well already. The new Dante has no staying power or ability to keep you interested in him more then i would in a snail. Maybe it will get a new game or 2 or retcon into a more classical route and properly evolve the story, but if not i will see this franchise get rebooted again quite soon. Expand
  39. Jan 16, 2014
    The haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find ways to make limbo odd, creepy, and even scary in some sections. All with tons of great combat, something they genuinely knocked out of the park.

Only complaint is minor, and that is the little jokes Dante has which do get a bit excessive. Still super minor, the game is fantastic and I hope they keep making them because the fan hate this one got was misplaced. Tons of these negative reviewers NEVER even played the game. They just saw his hair color and hated on it immediately. It is a shame.
  40. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  41. Dec 30, 2013
    I loved Devil May Cry 4, and had high hopes for DmC. It was fun in the beginning, but it became very difficulty even in easy mode (i.e., playing as human) after a few hours into the game. If you hate controllers like me, this game is not for you as keyboard mouse are not good to execute combos, which are almost mandatory if you want to finish some missions. I had to stop half way through the game due to frustration with the controls. Expand
  42. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  43. Feb 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry (what the hell is with the title? 2 DMCs?) I have never played DMC before until now. From start to finish I only had questions racing through my mind time and again on the several plotholes in this game that didn't seemed filled.

Graphics Top notch all the visuals in this game are truly amazing. It was extremely pleasing to the eyes.

Story First one is
    how does Limbo work? One minute it affects your surroundings and anything the demons destroy there it is destroyed in the real world. Ok makes sense this is a plain where demons can be summoned to and you fight them here. Then we get the the mansion and that concept goes straight out the window as everything is torn apart and destroyed. I didn't believe it thought I was overthinking things then I got to the Warehouse and knew it to be true as the warehouse grew 90x it's size that day. It doesn't end there. The characters are awful. Dante is one minute a badass then next a caring guy then next he's a sad lil emo kid. Vergil who magically got his memories back is just an now. Mundus is a dumbass. If he went to Dante's families home and saw pictures all over the place... wouldn't he know of Vergil's existence...? Kat looks like she was thrown in for a love interest for Dante. I mean she can be completely removed and her role can be taken by Vergil pretty much. So she is... useless.

Gameplay Amazing! Truly awesome. Controls are flawless and easy to use. It was easy to control and I picked up on it really fast. Flawless movements too makes it look like he's swinging the sword so the motion capture here was top notch! Can't get better than this. Camera was never an issue. No lock-on though made it hard to fight because those flying things could be a pain in the ass. The ranking system though is... easy? Really easy. Don't think I got anything below S once on my 3 playthroughs.

Difficulty This game was easy until I put it on Hell on Hell mode but, what the hell do you expect when a games AI can one shot you.

Length/Replayable Length is reasonable. I got about 6 or 7 hours of play on my first run and it is replayable of course because of all the stuff you can grab and unlock on your next playthrough. Plus unlocking the harder difficulties to play as you get these unlockables makes it a tad more challenging but not too much in my opinion.

So 3 out of the 5 things I look for in a game were solid giving this game a 6 out of 10. It's not perfect but it's something alright.
  44. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  45. Feb 20, 2013
    What can i say: just freaking awesome game after 8 hours i finally finished and it was worth every minute spent on it. Pros 1. PC Port 10/10 there are no camera problems, you can change your controls, graphics, everything you need just to enjoy the game 2.Graphics i was really impressed by how the game looks and performs,
  46. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is great. I feel bad that I have never played a Devil May Cry game before, but I feel it's helpful to give an opinion as a newcomer to the series. This reboot is a completely new universe with whatever gameplay/story changes they see fit. So when I heard that was the case, I was interested. I picked this game up on release for 49.99, which for Australia is pretty god damn cheap. I was immediately hooked by the general atmosphere. The way it blends the music with the gameplay gives it a really bad-ass intense feel, and the visual are not only stunning on max pc settings, but are also colorful and are play an important role when telling the story. You play as Dante (Like the previous games.) The story mainly revolves around him and his journey towards helping the human race and generally growing as a person. He is half demon and half angel and works with his twin brother and a human girl to overthrow the demons control over the human race. I think the gameplay is the strongest area of the game. You will not get tired of stringing together combos. As soon as you get the feeling of wanting a new toy to play with, the game gives it to you. Great pacing. It knows player. As I said before everything balances into one incredibly polished action/adventure spamfest and it's great. It doesn't set new ground for the genre, but it's an absolute joy to play and I respect the developers. I think this is best played on PC, the game runs amazingly, although I would recommend a controller plugged in though.

47. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  48. Feb 19, 2013
    Excellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of the original series and pushing it in smart, often surprising, directions. Story is fine, quite funny in parts, and generally well directed and acted. The action is smooth, controls are tight, and the combat is easy to learn and hard to master. I can not fathom how the user score is below an eight for this game (oh wait, this is Metacritic, where people spam 0's for games that offend their delicate sensibilities.) This game is a blast to play, and maybe the best Capcom game since Dead Rising.

This game performs wonderfully, never dropping below 60 fps 1920x1080 at maximum settings on a three year old PC.

A special note on replayability: The game has multiple extremely difficult challenge modes that are unlocked after completing the game. People who claim this game is dumbed down and easier than the old series doing know what they're talking about. When I see a video of these people beating the hardest difficulty, I will become a believer in their cause.
  49. Aug 23, 2013
    Inconsistent is the best word I can use to describe this game. The level and art design for some missions are amazing (night club, news tower), and then others are kind of bland (mundus's tower, succubus's lair). The story is all right, but the villain isn't really written well. I'll give some pros and cons:

PROS:

1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the
    levels in limbo reminds me of Alice madness returns which I also loved.

2. Combat. I loved the different weapons and combos you can come up with, but the list of combos isn't really that long compared to games like bayonetta or god of war. If you are playing on pc, I recommend the controller because the keyboard layout can get quite confusing.

3. Art/Level design. The levels, for the most part, are designed well and will keep your attention throughout your playtime. Night club and the news tower are a must to experience.

CONS:

1. Game is short beat it in 7.5 hours. It's fine if you are paying 20 bucks, but anything more and you start to feel ripped off.

2. Bosses are pretty easy and the final ones leave a lot to be desired. They looked great, but their mechanics were very simplistic and Ninja theory held your hand during the fight.

3. Inconsistent storytelling. At times the missions are written well, but the 2nd half of the game feels rushed and forced.

All in all, the game is worth a rental but because of its short length. I'm not into score submissions or replaying levels to be on top of an online leaderboard either. A 7 or 8 is more realistic score for this game.
  50. Jun 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game.. It's a huge fun to play.. very addictive specially in your first gameplay.. and you would probably go for more then one walkthrough, specially with the new difficulties incentive.. the level-repeat system is great.. it actually makes repeating levels useful, since it keeps your new upgrades and the new stuff you achieved while repeating that level..

on the other
    hand, the gameplay, although very fun, is pretty much plain and shallow, you don't do anything special.. you don't think.. it's Just some random daemons that shows up for you to hack & slash, or button mash.. but i guess that's what a hack-&-slash video game is.

The story is stupid, it feels shallow and juvenile, as you'd expect from a daemons-plot.. The story feels like an uninteresting teens anime.. it takes the "governments control you" & "media owns you" theme, But Dante is so NOT v for vendetta.. He's a douchebag and doesn't feel like a fully developed character.. In the first 2010 debut trailer.. he seemed very interesting, He seemed like the stoned, sick, twisted-criminal-minded careless psycho sort of character.. Not the theatrical badass, More like natural careless evil guy.. But what they offered was totally different then the impression that trailer gave.. They offered an undeveloped semi-cool douchebag who loves to exhibit his ability to say you".. It felt like writers were depending on his charming smile rather than the character's dialog or persona.. Ya. it was kinda cool and memorable character.. but surely not the unique or interesting one..

But the really annoying character was Virgil.. Virgil felt like Hoyt in Far cry 3.. the final villain who doesn't fit to be the final villain.. The nonsensical character that feels it was just made evil to give you a final boss mission.. besides, the final scene "SPOILER" was dumb.. what do you mean by taking control of the world.. what they gonna do? hit a button? make another virility?

In the overall.. it's a great game. if you want to play a game that's very enjoyable.. very fun.. but with shallow story and writing, Then this is your choice.

P.S: I never played any DMC before. only played devil may cry 3 for like the first two hours and haven't really kicked in into the game.. So this review is not in compare to previous games.. it's based solely on what the new DMC offers.
  51. Jun 3, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is a third person action game with some pretty art design and a good story. The game is very stylish and the characters are very interesting. Combat is great with lots of variation in weapons and combos and enemies are fun to fight and bosses are even better. The platforming is very smooth and responsive most of the time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is look for a stylish new action platformer game with a good story. Expand
  52. Jul 17, 2013
    This is not Devil May Cry in any way, the only thing that resembles DMC in any way is the title and the names of the characters. Yes the story is better but all of the characters have been BUTCHERED. Dante is a swearing Teen who randomly flips off and swears at demons in any chance he can get, the original Dante was awesome by not swearing and being funny by taunting demons in a good humored way. Vergil just feels that humanity is below him and feels that he should rule over them, instead of the original Vergil's quest for power, I am fine with the new Vergil. Sparda has it the worst, instead of being a demon who sacrificed his life to save the human race, he is now known as the demon that banged an Angel. Devil May Cry games gave us a great challenge, but now this game is one of the easiest games I have ever played. The music is not metal anymore it is now a metal like techno, I like to call it mechno I know it sounds like metal but if you check out the soundtrack then you would know. This game was okay but it is not Devil May Cry the character is awful, not just because he's a husk of Dante, but because he is a horrible character in general, buy the DMC HD collection get this game if you are not a fan of the original like me. Its sad to see my favorite franchise turn into this. Expand
  53. Jan 26, 2013
    The art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked very good, take the Street Fighter IV and sequels series or the Dead Rising series...even the Resident Evil 5 and sequels series had more brilliant colours and better textures. What is worst, the game makes no use of environmental mapping and landscapes, backgrounds, locations all look blurry and confused (some objects look pixelized! That's a shame for today games!). If it wasn't that we are in 2013, I would have thought that this was a 2007 game visually talking, as it's very disappointing.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a pleasant game, very action oriented, fast and paced. There is variety of enemies, different weapons, very good combo choice and character advancement during the game. But the gameplay becomes boring and repetitive very soon and the thing you keep doing is pressing attack buttons, and so on...again and again. The story is featureless and banal, you have been hearing of that stuff lots of times before...nothing new about that, the eternal conflict between angels and demons.

As for music and sounds, the game is pretty good and voice acting is immersive and believable. Controls are generally good, but when you come to combos some issues arise because e.g. pressing Q+RM or Q+F+space and so on is not always responsive and smooth, and this will often oblige you to restart from the last platform again and again... Longevity? I have finished the game is 9+1/2 hours. To sum it up, DmC: Devil May Cry could have been a very good game if it had featured a less repetitive gameplay and a more attention to controls smoothness and graphics quality for PC gamers.
  54. Feb 1, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much! Dante must be waaay over the top, he must be more badass than the word badass and last but not least he must have white hair. Pls don't break these rules ever again!
    Now some final kind words:
    The music is the best the franchise had so far, it looks SO good and is really really fluid. Well done Ninja Theory! (but pls leave the main char in tact next time)
  55. Feb 14, 2013
    The game of became such a drag after a while of playing. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just abysmal. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got sick of all the profanity, mind you, I was playing alone. Pros: Some of the music was good, though the placement was way off sometimes. Platforming was often fun. Environmental design was pretty good at times. Cons: Juvenile and shallow writing Bad story Characters are as one-dimensional as possible Character design is just plain bad Combat got boring really fast Game focuses on enemies that require certain weapons to take down. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom which are the backbone of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me. No replay value whatsoever It's just way too easy, I honestly don't get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game? Expand
  56. Feb 12, 2013
    Okay, first of all: I DONT LIKE THE NEW DANTE, they made him such a jackass Anyway im sick of these 1 out of 10 rates from the community, you guys really dont know what a 1 out of 10 game looks like....

The graphics are fine for me, gameplay is smooth, easy and fun, the story is well...... not that bad.

Hardcore DMC fans probably hate this reboot
  57. Aug 17, 2013
    Played all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparent that it was a console port. The controls felt a bit less-than-intuitive and unresponsive at times; even by the end of the game you might find yourself fumbling here and there, but overall the combat was very fun, if not a bit frustrating at times.

The story is has excellent pacing and actually pretty interesting. It will, at the very least, keep you playing until the end. I blasted through the game in a day. The soundtrack is perfect for the game and I have nothing to complain about, it does well to get your adrenaline going. However, I can't give enough praise about the dialogue, voice acting, and well-done character modeling. The script is so refreshing in its creative absurdness. (ex: Dante: "FU!" Baddie: "FU!" Dante: "No, FU!!"). It never felt contrived and I can't tell you how many games I've played where the dialogue is so straight-up predictable and monotone too the point where all I hear is "blah blah blah". You can tell the crew and voice actors really had fun with it.

Overall, a solid game with some flaws (camera, controls), but easily holds it's own in the series.
  58. Jun 11, 2013
    "Oh they changed his hair" grow up fanboys! Seriously, why do so many people hate this game, it doesnt even matter if its this much fun!!! YAAAAAAY! 10/10
  59. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but
    the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
    PC the game does not play well on PC at all. Make sure to get a controller. I had to take 2 points off for this fault.
  60. Apr 11, 2013
    A good game and nice graphics but the overall factor wasnt so nice... I was a bit disappointed. I expected interactive cut scenes and it would have made the game a lot better but anyways it provided a nice experience and the hack and slash was extreme..
  61. Apr 12, 2013
    I must admit that this Game is pretty damn EASY, so much easier than the 3rd and 4th. I got no problem beat the Dante Must Die mode just using 5 items and got SSS rank in every level in first try (eventhough i'm not a good DmC player), because the enemies behavior are so predictable compared to the 3rd and 4th (I got nightmare when play those two in DMD mode). By the way, This still an Awesome game with great graphic and gameplay (story not good for me, like the 3rd better), and it's easier make it's a game for everyone who don't like hardcore. Expand
  62. May 23, 2014
    I really had some serious doubts this game would be good enough. I have played dmc 1,3 and 4. This game might look a little bit easternish compered to other anime style japanese ones. But it definetly deserves the attention dmc 5 would have. + beautiful visuals + epic soundtrack and voice acting. + optimised and fluid gameplay. - a little bit easier than older games but it might be because of my awesome skills got better and better in time :) Expand
  63. Jan 31, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. Good job, Ninja Theory. Expand
  64. Apr 30, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  65. Jan 27, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this game, i was skeptical at first because of Dante's new look and the staleness of the franchise. The moves and combo abilities are easy to understand are great to pull off. If you don't buy it new, i would recommend it a must have when the price comes down.
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    Sorry guys, but it's not game about demon's sun Dante. It's just typical fine slasher. Not to hard, not to long, with as usual cool boy with big and tongue. But it's not a game about Dante.
  67. Jan 28, 2014
    Seems like the original DmC franchise has one of the worst fanbases in the history of gaming, Even Call of Duty never gets that much hate for changing.
    DmC Devil May Cry is a console hack and slash with a story based on a concept you've probably heard before, but not in a video game, great but a bit simpler then the previous DmC games combat, making the game more accessible to newbies,
    with its biggest flaw being some enemies that can only be killed with specific weapons. Theres enough moves and weapons to keep the variety interesting and restricting how you can deal with enemies isn't really a good thing, but didn't ruined my experience with the game. The combat also feels better, Dante and his weapons now have weight to them, while the previous games didn't felt satisfying enough for me.
    The platforming is great, fast and doesn't changes the pace of the overall game, much better then the previous games.
    The game is also one of the best looking games out there, gorgeous environments, perfect example of aesthetics over graphics. And its the only actually good PC port, works great with mouse and keyboard.
    Out of all console style 3D hack n slash games I've played so far, this has to be one of the few I truly enjoyed. Don't listen to the retarded fanboys, this game is maybe simpler in combat mechanics, but its still a great game!
  68. Mar 18, 2014
    The game is beautiful and very good optimized, the stages have good design sometime to colorful. But the characters are week, disappointing for me bad reboot(not talking for Dante hairs), the jokes are not funny some bosses look annoying don't like all the weapons. Beautiful Hack and slash with poor characters and story.
  69. Feb 18, 2013
    Let's see... basically a weak game in general

-Nerf gameplay
    -Linear
    -Type of difficulty easy to implement
    -Unoriginal story
    -Replay 0
    -Ninja theory overrated
  70. Jan 31, 2013
    However not only was DMC outsourced - Ninja Theory - the Director of the Devil May Cry Series is now with Platinum Games, has been since Bayonetta
    #####
    Dante's character in DMC had some throw backs to the original, however my taste - maybe because I am getting older - having the F word thrown around as much just wasn't a good characteristic, the original Dante never had to go that far.
  71. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Expand
  72. Sep 22, 2014
    The game does not deserve all the fanboy hate it receives.

The level design in this game is insane. I've never see anything quite like it.

The story is also, surprisingly, very good, with characters that actually feel like real people. Dante is cocky with a **** you' attitude at first, but rapidly grows a conscience and begins to truly care for the fate of mankind and his friends. A
    lot of people hate him, but I personally found him very likeable.

There are issues with the game however, but only when compared with past DMC games. The combat is far more simplistic with less weapons to choose from and the levels, though designed spectacularly, are far more linear and do not reward exploration quite as much as past titles in the series. This pissed a lot of people off, understandably. They aren't things that bothered me too much though, so I actually enjoyed the game a great deal.

A real shame it sold so poorly and received so much hate from the fanbase. It truly was a high quality product with a great story. I would love to see a sequel, but it seems unlikely now.
  73. Feb 25, 2013
    The new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not very interesting it was fine. The graphics and character animations were great and it really showed the amount of work it has been put into the game. I only wish they had done the same with the character developement, I only liked Lilith, Dante, Virgil and that little wiccan babe, whose name I can't remember now, were pretty uninteresting and thats pretty bad considering that those were the characters you were supposed to like and care for. The game also has some of the worst one liners I've ever heard in a video game (DANTE SUCKS lol), but the thing that made me go from an 8 to a 7 was the difficulty. I played it on Nephilim (Hard) and I pretty much destroyed everyone easily and that sucks when you're playing a series in which you're used to curse and want to puch people in the face every time you die (there used to be many of those times in ealrier DMC's). Despite the flaws, this is a very good game overall and it at least deserves a rental so you can playthrough it once. Expand
  74. Feb 1, 2013
    first off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praises aside, the storyline is pretty weak and the script is kind of cheezy at times. However, the gameplay and art design definitely makes up for it and i do recommend checking this game out. Also, think twice before hitting the unhelpful button. Expand
  75. Feb 4, 2013
    I have been a huge Devil May Cry fan since it ported to PC, I only played DMC3 and DMC4 prior to this, and loved them both enormously that I had several playthroughs on all difficulties until I unlocked everything. So...with that headnote, let's begin the review:

Firstly, I couldn't care less what Dante's hair looks like. We've all had months to get over the fact that he will look
    different from when E3 first previewed the trailer back in 2011. The fact that your styles have been removed in light of making it laughably easy to see which weapon works against which enemy (blue for angelic, red for demonic) is still okay because it's refreshing. The style was steroided in DMC4 already and couldn't really go any higher than that. What really bugged me was that they did away with the whole fantasy, alternate-reality castlevania type feel that was almost a hallmark of DMC games, and now replaced it with this completely stupid real-world real-time, neo-political story in today's modern world. Then we have some really irritating boss-fights. I mean, Farcry 3 this up as well having some weird, looney, acid trip when you doing that ritual thing, and now with DMC when you fight the news anchor dude. What's with all the techno-glitz? It's STUPID. Stick to basics. To be really critical, I'm not sure it's necessary having the name of the game abbreviated and then spelt in full. DMC: Devil May Cry...It's just really dumb.

The level design was boring, the missions were boring (NO other DMC game would have you running around activating generators!) that I got to a point where I only played the game just so that I could finish it. And no I will not play this game ever again!

What I did like is how Vergil/Dante's feud is explained, even though character-building is a tad rushed with regards to Vergil. I did like the cool angel/demon weapons, just a shame that there aren't enough neutral enemies in the game to let you decide on your own combo's: red enemies can only be hurt by demonic weapons, blue enemies can only be hurt by angelic weapons.

Overall not a bad effort for a new direction with DMC but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I think Capcom were onto something when they introducted Nero in DMC4 as a new playable character.

This game could have been a smidge better if the name was changed. To something completely different, like "Ninja Demon" or something totally irrelevant to the DMC franchise.
  76. Feb 26, 2013
    Pros: The game runs very smoothly on PC and is great with a 360 controller. Fast paced action and addicting combos.
    Cons: Story, poor characters, poor stage design, poor voice acting. Feels like a waste of time once I've beaten it.
  77. Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, most of DMC fans can just say few things about this game. New Dante looks stupid and this reboot of the franchise is the most lame idea Capcom has ever come up with.They are all right, that is quite a valid point they have for this game. However, the question i wanna ask is: Is that really a reason to give this game a 0/10 or 1/10? I will go with no. The game would deserve that score if it was buggy, unfinished, and unplayable.But, apparently, we are all so pissed at this game when we saw trailer that we have forgotten what's really important about game franchise. The gameplay. Again, the fact that we are not seeing the Dante we all liked anymore, but instead we are seeing a bit of a jackass Dante, still stands, but one thing that saved this game from sucking is gameplay. I will go as far to say that it is way better than on previous Devil may cry games. One thing i will start with is the control. In this game, in addition to keyboard, you use mouse. Which also means that you use mouse for attacks and camera control. That's right, the one who controls the camera is YOU.You don't have those annoying camera transitions that you had in previous games, which was really disturbing when you are moving a character(You do have that in this game aswell, but it's really rare).As for fighting, Dante here moves more fluidly than he was before, and you have this feeling like he is more responsive.What you will also notice is that you do not have styles here anymore, so you are not limited to only one type of attacks. What you do have here is two mode of attacks. Blue mode and Red mode. They are not called that actually, but i will go with those names for the sake of avoiding spoilers.As you had in previous games, Dante will receive some new weapons throughout the missions which are divide by these two modes. You will find all those weapons so usefull, that you will bearly have any need for the use of guns.Still, there are also some things that i don't like(beside the reboot fact).One thing i don't like is that you do not have a lock-on.It's automatic, so you will find that a bit annoying.Another thing you might disslike, is the fighting style ranking. Basically, in this game, you will get S-ranks like a candy. Even if you are not trying to get the S-rank, you will still get it with ease.In previous game, the ranks rapidly increased when you have quite of a fighting style, but when you are doing nothing it rapidly decreases.Here, there is no decrease. The only way your rank is gonna get decreased is if you get damaged, which can be easily avoided.These are some things i didn't like in this game, but i would be a horrible lier if i said that i didn't enjoy this game. So this is my reason for giving this game a high score despite the reboot fact. I am still a bit disappointed that this isn't Devil may cry 5 we are reviewing, but there are some quite of bright side of this games aswell. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    This is not a bad game, for god's sake its a reboot of the series, an alternate reality to the old games, you can't downrate the entire game just because the protagonist looks different, most of you need to stop throwing tantrums, and rate the game properly, no way in hell does this deserve the low rating shown here, have you played a game a game that really deserves a 0's and 1's? its obviously not this. besides Capcom were done making DmC games, you wouldn't have seen another game if it weren't for Ninja Theory taking it on, and i think they did a great job, the visuals are spectacular, the performance is great, the story isn't bad either, at least the turnout was great compared what happend with the Silent Hill games when Konami stopped developing them. Expand
  79. Feb 18, 2013
    "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liggggggggggghttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes the writing in this Devil May Cry game might just be some of the best, the new Dante is pretty subjective but personally I think he looks kinda cool and his snarky attitude is amusing. Pretty much like someone of that age can be.

The PC version is probably the better version due to
    uncapped frame rates and things, the sound track is good if you are into that kind of music. Level design in the visual sense is amazing. Judged on its own merits its a pretty good game, players into hardcore 3rd person spectacle fighters might not enjoy it so much as the combat is simplified compared to others.

Most of the people complaining are upset that its not a direct sequel, nothing wrong with that but it has reached the stage where its become people throwing their toys out of their pram.
  80. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Expand
  81. Jan 27, 2013
    The game has all that an action game needs: Rewarding gameplay with plenty of combo possibilities, good visuals (both in quality and aesthetics) and a soundtrack that flows perfectly with what's happening on the screen.
    The story is above the average of this genre I'd say. The personality and occasional puns of Dante fit very well and don't make him a douchebag, I don't know where a lot
    of people get that from... just as the complains about the difficulty. If you are a pro, don't take one of the first 2 difficulties. Oh, and finishing the game unlocks several even harder modes, so there should be enough for everyone.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely come back to it at a later time, which I don't do with a lot of singleplayer games.
  82. Jan 30, 2013
    Note: The easy-combat-rank-fill which was a main point of protest from old DMC-Fans, as well as several severe (sound) bugs got patched on January 30th (at least for computer). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was scared. When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it even be worse than that DMC4 cash-in? Dante appeared to be a big, overgrown show-off kid. So, I didn't put my hopes up to high when I picked up DMC. I started the game and - like many other old-fashioned DMC fans I **** my nose when I first experienced the new combat system. BUT: I kept cool and decided to try the game before condemning it - in the end DMC really surprised me in a positive way. The combat system: While I always did love love the style system - this new kind of combat really kicks nuts once you get a hang on it. The weaponswitching has never been as fluent before. While it is true - early missions don't require a lot of special moves - the new system allows you to make combat an art. Weapons really complement each other. Especially AoE-air fight got a serious improvement. Dante: While I didn't like his concept back at the E3 presentation, the final release really did please me. He is young, he is unexperienced - but he has big mouth and the self confidence we're used to know from old Dante. He kindly lacks the humor we all used to love, but he definitely is "a type". The Story: We get to know about Dante's and Vergil's past, their youth and we experience how Dante is forced into the demonkiller-role. I don't wanna spoil anything here, so I'll hint on the setting; the developers took the main idea from and old Movie "They live!" (1988) : A world that is not what it looks like only a few have the chance, well rather the possibilities to see through the Veil society and norms blur the realty with. I'm no fan of that romantic marxistic idea to fight the "bad capitalism", but DMCs developers really had the balls to make this philosophic and critical game. The design: I really don't understand how some people can cry about the look, I set everything to ultra and it looks great on my 42″ TV. Especially the Nimbus (demon-world) is an eye catcher. Dang! I couldn't get my chin back up when I first saw the walls implode in front of me, trying to catch 'n squash me. Music: As good as in any DMC. Bottomline: Taking all these things into account I'm giving DMC 10/10. People who hate this game do hate it because the want to hate it. The new Dante lacks humor, yes but people continuously forget - this is young Dante who's new to the business, not the relaxed old top dog who's feeling completely invincible. The story is great, so is 2 world-concept. The visuals really fit the mood, as does the sound. With the latest patch DMCs only real flaws (too easy to achieve combo scores) and some (sound) bugs have been removed, leaving it a game I really can recommend to new players as well old DMC fans. Expand
  83. Feb 5, 2013
    AVERAGE that's all I can say. I have to be honest and say I haven't played any other DMC games but I was disappointed in this one even though I don't have anything to compare it to. Nothing revolutionary at all. Just a standard hack n slash with some weapon and ability upgrades. The game itself is way too easy and there just aren't enough enemies on the screen to make it engaging enough. Dante is also an obnoxious arrogant self-absorbed tool I couldn't stand some of his dialogue. Waste of 6-8 hours when I look back on it, I could have been playing something better. Expand
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    Horrible. ruined the game. its far to easy, the final boss battle was like fighting a spyro boss... Vergils downfall was really cheap too. they added 1 new feature in and just revamp Dante's animations. and seriously "hollow vergil"? looks strangely like an animation known as bleach. even the damn eye effect. this deserves nothing compared to the beauty of the previous games. Ninja theory should hang there heads in shame... Expand
  85. Apr 25, 2013
    Well unfortunately some people didn't like the new ideas of the new DMC but the gameplay was awesome, the story didn't excelled in anything but it was eatable.
    Overall it is a great game that it is worth playing and i enjoyed it very much because this is what games truly serve us!
    Also glad a game like this could be so great since we are on a era of shooters were ''bang-bang is everything''
  86. Jan 29, 2013
    I played dmc 1-4 and now this reboot. Dmc 2 is the only one that I didn't get near the end. That said I can said 100% that this game is a good game. It isn't the best in the series but it is certainly a welcome addition. I can safely say that DMC is at the very least better than dmc 2. The PC ran so wonderfully that alone it got high marks. The things I liked
    The settings - ok sure it was
    very strange plot line but come on so is any japanese game. This game is through and through british while the other dmcs was japanese/japanese view of western view on heaven, hell etc...
    combat was smooth camera wasn't annoying
    I never felt lost unlike the other games.
    Very little puzzles compare to other games
    easy - okay yes the game was easy but Sometimes i feel like playing a easy game where i can blow crap up. If i want a challenge i can always go back and play 1-4 on the hardest difficulty.
    few funny jokes - though many fell flat.
    Good boss fights but the designs were not as memorable as 1-4. The things I dislike the voice acting was sometime inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded emotional but sometimes didn't. the facial expression looked stiffed otherwise it looked strange. It was no uncharted 2.

In conclusion, its a reboot. its a good game. get over it.
  87. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  88. Jan 31, 2013
    It is a good game. And it's a great restart for a whole franchise. New music, new characters, new moves, new original levels. DMC 4 was rather dull. There was nothing new in it, nothing original. This is a different story. Just give it a chance.
  89. Feb 5, 2013
    Im a huge Devil May Cry fan and must admit,i was bit skeptical when Capcom decided to outsource DmC to Ninja Thoery but the end product is too awesome to warrant a purchase.The only downside is Dante does look alot like Cristiano Ronaldo and Vergil's a taller version of Messi.Kudos to NT
  90. Feb 4, 2013
    It's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippers and demons and angels while rehashing Dante's genesis with some super-human action thrown in the hack and slash mix to make them feel like they're doing something." If you can keep your opinion from hinging heavily on subject matter the presentation is great. I do have to say though who thought Dante's new look should be white-trash douche in an overcoat? Bad move totally cost this game a lot of cool points. Not that I prefer the original look, I just don't really think they did any better. Expand
  91. Jan 28, 2013
    I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one. They complain about nitpicky details that no real gamer would ever give a **** about, like the color of the main character's hair. This is seriously a contentious issue with them, that you have to play though the game to get Dante's hair to be white. The combat system is similar, but with some changes; fanboys accuse it of being "dumbed down" -- it's actually just more efficient and I will explain it. What they did was remove the lock-on feature and automate it based on the Dante's direction on the screen. It makes the combat more fluid, you can effectively attack large numbers of enemies at once, and you don't have to constantly click and press the lock-on button for every enemy if you want to use the effective moves. In essence, it's much easier to pay attention to all of the enemies when your camera and your weapons aren't trained on one, which would force you to toggle between them. On the other hand, you do often instead have to hold one of the triggers to switch between angelic/demonic weapons. I think it's a question of taste at that point, since the alternative would be to toggle between them, making it cumbersome to resume using the Rebellion/Guns. Like many other action games, you now dodge with the R and L instead of the jump button. This allows you to dodge attacks from non-locked on enemies with ease, and you never accidentally jump away from an enemy (instead of rolling away). Complaining that this system is "dumbed down" is like saying Windows 7 is a dumbed down version of Windows 8 because you have to click fewer times to get the same things done. Efficiency isn't evil. The game is also "more accessible" in that the DEFAULT difficulty levels are easier than the DEFAULT difficulty levels of previous titles. "Hardcore" gamers and masochists are very welcome to play the one-hit-and-you-die difficulties, but even at Son of Sparda the difficulty is massively cranked up, with more combat scenes added. The Ninja Theory team isn't stupid -- and Capcom held their hand the entire way. It's extremely easy to make a game harder -- just take more damage and place more enemies -- so there's no reason for people to assume that because it's a different developer they weren't capable of doing it. As for the story, it has elements of the original DMC games but with a contemporary twist. The story is essentially 'They Live' with a visit to Fox News and the Slurm factory, which is as ridiculous and over-the-top as any other DMC title, except it's a little more coherent. I have never heard a DMC player tell me honestly that they ever liked, or cared about, the storyline of DMC. DMC3 centered around some tower, a concept clearly just pulled out of someone's ass, and DMC4 was about a powerful religious leader who turned out to be -- hold onto your shorts -- EVIL, and a 20-something half-demon kid who just didn't give a **** until maddam **** gets involved. In short, the stories are equally compelling or non-compelling. I even heard complaints about fan service in this game, because of Kat's (the female foil's) short shorts and constant bending over. Oh really? And what about DMC3's Lady? She had a practically invisible skirt. And Trish? She was as big-titted as always. And DMC4? What about Nero's love interest with the massive bazookas? And the new Lady's ass and cleavage in the cutscenes? The reboot is RIDICULOUSLY tame in the fan service department compared to those games. It's a Japanese TRADITION nowadays to have some level of fan service, and I'd say Ninja Theory largely missed the boat on that opportunity by providing a love interest with plausible proportions. And who cares in the end? Hot women in games are like ducks in a pond. Anyone who complains about fan service is a douche. The one major complaint I DO have about the reboot is the platforming elements and the number of cutscenes. There are way too many platforming stages, especially near the end. HOWEVER, you can cut much of the platforming if you know where you're going, and higher difficulties add more combat scenes to break it up. The remaining platforming is a speed trial for which you're rewarded with a completion time bonus. You also don't have to collect all the orbs more than once! Finally I'd like to note that, aside from DMC4, this is the ONLY DECENT PC PORT OF A CONSOLE ACTION GAME IN EXISTENCE. PC gamers don't have Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, etc. -- just DMC4 and this reboot. The porting is outstanding, and in sharp contrast to the disaster of DMC3: Special Edition. PS3 gamers can compare this to other games, we can't. This is the best so far. Expand
  92. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the best I've seen in my opinion, resembles the one from heavenly sword, too bad so few games similar to this one are released on the PC.

CAUTION: game is totally unplayabe with the Mouse/Keyboard.
  93. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a real improvement! Gameplay, Graphics, Movement and Attacks are all improved, game does not lag and so far I've had fun playing the campaign, this is a must play game!
    9/10! The game is not that amazing so i wont give it a 10 but i think it deserves a 9, DmC is very fun too play if your bored and you like killing monsters.
  94. Apr 30, 2013
    the game fighting animation is stunning, nice combat moves but you really need to practice a lot to do the awesome combos especially when you keep switching weapons. if you master the moves you will enjoy owning whoever attacks you
  95. Sep 22, 2014
    I'm going to start by saying that I'm insanely biased. DMC1 is (IMO, of course) one of the greatest games ever made. DMC2 was garbage, but DMC3 was decent. (I actually skipped DMC4; it just didn't look good to me.) This isn't a DMC1 review, so I'll leave it at that, but I want to start there because my review of DmC is hindered on my perspective of the first game and the series prior.

First, I do want to say that the game looks good. The environment looked good and aside from the occasional awkward camera angle, things looked distinct, clear, and flashy, which includes the various combos and weapons animations.

Unfortunately, this game suffers heavily from cinephilia. The game is way too short and is very linear; the side areas/challenges/secrets offer very little in variety or exploration. This new weapon style of doing demon/angel activation felt awkward and did little to enhance the combo system. And for me, I've always been an Ebony&Ivory/Rebellion guy, but they neutered the guns and you literally can't use Rebellion (or guns, for that matter) on many enemies. (Speaking of, where are the enemies? Outside of challanges, it felt like I did hardly any fighting.) Rather than giving you a bunch of options and letting YOU choose which is more fun, the combat feels forced on you. Since the combat system is what always made me love DMC, this awkwardness is what killed the experience.

Lastly, I want to add that the story and the characters were incredibly weak. Dialogue was B-movie material and the characters were uninteresting (not to mention this new Dante looks like butt). I try not to put too much weight in stories for games like this, so that's all I say about it.

Ultimately, I got this game for less than $10, which is what enticed me to try it and why I'm not angry about wasting too much money on it, but it was disappointing and I can definitely understand how someone might be bitter about dropping $50 on this.
  96. Jan 27, 2013
    i was pleasantly surprised by this game on PC. Running it at 2560x1440 on a 27 inch monitor is a delight. The colours and visuals just hit you in the face. The framerate is stellar at all times too. Has to be one of the best console style games i have seen converted to the pc. The story is actually interesting and the acting for the most part is very good. This could be the surprise hit of the year.

I also picked this up via a stream key for $30 so it seems like a bargain for this.

Anyone who is having reservations about the new new Dante, you can - or at least my version does, play as the old Dante in all but cutscenes.

You do miss some of the more crazy moves and the combat is not quite as fun as before but those annoying camera angles are gone.

Secret rooms even have a homage to the past by having the odd fix camera back when you climb stairs.

Alot of care and attention has gone into this game and i feel you would lose alot of the detail on console.

The sound is amazing too as long as you have decent sound capabilities. With a 9.1 THX system it is incredible.
  97. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch.

Both combat and
    movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  98. Jul 1, 2013
    I played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, not bad, but it hit pretty much a decent progression of story throughout the game that managed to keep my attention. I have to say the best things about this game is the design of the levels, along with the fluidity of the combat system. And while like in the old games you hack, slashed and shot up your combo multiplier they introduced enemies that you had to use specific weapons against to be able to inflict damage, along with a parry and dodge system that allowed you to progress in your combos with the right timing as the enemies became more difficult. This is so far one of the best adventure games I have played of this year, and I will say it is not an amazing game it did manage to keep my interest in playing it for a long time. Expand
  99. Feb 7, 2013
    This game refused to let me go, until I've killed the final boss. 10 of 10 just for that.
  100. Apr 3, 2013
    Y'know, I get it. I was going to give this game a higher score but then I realized that this game is a step towards dumbing down the hack n slash genre and the dmc franchise. As a fan of fps games I've seen that genre get almost completely demolished by the casuals appetite for cod (not the fish). So yeah, I understand that people who enjoyed earlier dmc games and their resentment of this title. The game is very linear, kinda short and has removed all the puzzle solving and exploration. Combat is easier and I was very dissapointed with the boss fights. Still I will stand by the opinion that Dante is more likeable this time around though since I thought he was the most intolerable twit in previous installments. Expand
  101. Jan 29, 2013
    Gripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negative reviews are old DMC fans who find it hard to move on, somewhat unfair reviews and just very personal views, I am a massive fan of DMC and so are a few of my friends, but them including others new to the franchise all love it. Overall, amazing but personal tastes from others may lead you to think this is a bad game when it clearly is not.

Get it!

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.