DmC: Devil May Cry PC

6.7

1. Dec 16, 2013
    A visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn'tA visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn't worth the then high asking price. It's no doubt a game I would recommend at a discounted price. If I were to complain about a few things then it would be, that some of the boss fights are massively grindy, also I think there are slightly too many combat moves and upgrades. The tunnel-like linearity of the game isn't too much of a problem, as the levels are well-designed and looks like plenty of effort went into them. The story twist at final "boss" is the biggest let down and feels just plain wrong. Anyone giving this game a 0 or a 10 is completely nuts. Currently the User Score is 6.5 and I'd say that's slightly low, but not far off the reality. Expand
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed this one. I don't mind the new Dante, as I never really got into the older titles. This is so action packed and intense you will get lost in it for hours. This game is constantly throwing new skills, moves and weapons at you through the entire game until the very end so it always feels fresh. Play it.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a Bayonetta wannabe is not that bad if done properly, however, despite coming out three years after the mentioned title, it feels incomplete if compared to it. It is still a funny game though, but not sure if it's worth the money it costs.
  4. Sep 12, 2014
    decent but uninspired. graphically quite good and didnt have any issues with freezes and crashes. combat is generally decent but too often you get caught up generally doing the same things over and over again which becomes repetitive fast. but way short on content and game finished a bit too quickly. New Game+ should not be primarily relied upon to add content/play-time.
  5. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need aSince it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  6. Mar 1, 2013
    Most people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far tooMost people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far too frequent double sword enemies that warp in and out) The visuals vary from mind-boggling beautiful to washed out, tacky, early unreal engine awfulness, the biggest culprit being the deplorable cutscenes. After what ninja theory was able to accomplish in enslaved and heavenly sword, I had to shake my head at some of the writing and delivery. I would have preferred the style of the still art they used on occasion with some sparse animation in some of the exposition scenes. Oh, and P.S., the camera will your up in a few scenes. Good effort, let's regroup on this one and come back with a vengeance. Expand
  7. Sep 4, 2014
    Not the best Devil May Cry game by any means but definitely a good one. It had its flaws but still, it was fun. Nice soundtrack, ok gameplay (it could have been better), ok bosses (could have been better too) and ok levels and story as well. Dante was ok too although he was **** compared to the original. The previous games top this one easily but that doesn't make it a bad one. A decent, fun game.
  8. May 23, 2014
    I loved this reboot of the DMC series. Also, people need to calm down about the Young Dante, it's a "REBOOT" if they started it where they left off then it wouldn't be a reboot, it'd be a continuation. I do admit this game has many flaws of what Dante, and Vergil originated from and the dialogue is the same as always, awkward and too cheesy. This games story that began it all, reallyI loved this reboot of the DMC series. Also, people need to calm down about the Young Dante, it's a "REBOOT" if they started it where they left off then it wouldn't be a reboot, it'd be a continuation. I do admit this game has many flaws of what Dante, and Vergil originated from and the dialogue is the same as always, awkward and too cheesy. This games story that began it all, really doesn't make much sense but don't try to **** me and say the DMC series has had a good story. I'd recommend this to you if you wanted to pass about 12 hours, haha. It's an averagely good game. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    I loved Devil May Cry 4, and had high hopes for DmC. It was fun in the beginning, but it became very difficulty even in easy mode (i.e., playing as human) after a few hours into the game. If you hate controllers like me, this game is not for you as keyboard mouse are not good to execute combos, which are almost mandatory if you want to finish some missions. I had to stop half way throughI loved Devil May Cry 4, and had high hopes for DmC. It was fun in the beginning, but it became very difficulty even in easy mode (i.e., playing as human) after a few hours into the game. If you hate controllers like me, this game is not for you as keyboard mouse are not good to execute combos, which are almost mandatory if you want to finish some missions. I had to stop half way through the game due to frustration with the controls. Expand
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    Ok look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punkOk look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punk tone it will become dated quickly. even now i look at the game and find it hasn't aged well already. The new Dante has no staying power or ability to keep you interested in him more then i would in a snail. Maybe it will get a new game or 2 or retcon into a more classical route and properly evolve the story, but if not i will see this franchise get rebooted again quite soon. Expand
  11. Feb 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry (what the hell is with the title? 2 DMCs?) I have never played DMC before until now. From start to finish I only had questions racing through my mind time and again on the several plotholes in this game that didn't seemed filled.

Graphics Top notch all the visuals in this game are truly amazing. It was extremely pleasing to the eyes. Story First one is

Story First one is how does Limbo work? One minute it affects your surroundings and anything the demons destroy there it is destroyed in the real world. Ok makes sense this is a plain where demons can be summoned to and you fight them here. Then we get the the mansion and that concept goes straight out the window as everything is torn apart and destroyed. I didn't believe it thought I was overthinking things then I got to the Warehouse and knew it to be true as the warehouse grew 90x it's size that day. It doesn't end there. The characters are awful. Dante is one minute a badass then next a caring guy then next he's a sad lil emo kid. Vergil who magically got his memories back is just an now. Mundus is a dumbass. If he went to Dante's families home and saw pictures all over the place... wouldn't he know of Vergil's existence...? Kat looks like she was thrown in for a love interest for Dante. I mean she can be completely removed and her role can be taken by Vergil pretty much. So she is... useless.

Gameplay Amazing! Truly awesome. Controls are flawless and easy to use. It was easy to control and I picked up on it really fast. Flawless movements too makes it look like he's swinging the sword so the motion capture here was top notch! Can't get better than this. Camera was never an issue. No lock-on though made it hard to fight because those flying things could be a pain in the ass. The ranking system though is... easy? Really easy. Don't think I got anything below S once on my 3 playthroughs.

Difficulty This game was easy until I put it on Hell on Hell mode but, what the hell do you expect when a games AI can one shot you.

Length/Replayable Length is reasonable. I got about 6 or 7 hours of play on my first run and it is replayable of course because of all the stuff you can grab and unlock on your next playthrough. Plus unlocking the harder difficulties to play as you get these unlockables makes it a tad more challenging but not too much in my opinion.

So 3 out of the 5 things I look for in a game were solid giving this game a 6 out of 10. It's not perfect but it's something alright.
  12. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  13. Jun 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game.. It's a huge fun to play.. very addictive specially in your first gameplay.. and you would probably go for more then one walkthrough, specially with the new difficulties incentive.. the level-repeat system is great.. it actually makes repeating levels useful, since it keeps your new upgrades and the new stuff you achieved while repeating that level..

on the other

on the other hand, the gameplay, although very fun, is pretty much plain and shallow, you don't do anything special.. you don't think.. it's Just some random daemons that shows up for you to hack & slash, or button mash.. but i guess that's what a hack-&-slash video game is.

The story is stupid, it feels shallow and juvenile, as you'd expect from a daemons-plot.. The story feels like an uninteresting teens anime.. it takes the "governments control you" & "media owns you" theme, But Dante is so NOT v for vendetta.. He's a douchebag and doesn't feel like a fully developed character.. In the first 2010 debut trailer.. he seemed very interesting, He seemed like the stoned, sick, twisted-criminal-minded careless psycho sort of character.. Not the theatrical badass, More like natural careless evil guy.. But what they offered was totally different then the impression that trailer gave.. They offered an undeveloped semi-cool douchebag who loves to exhibit his ability to say you".. It felt like writers were depending on his charming smile rather than the character's dialog or persona.. Ya. it was kinda cool and memorable character.. but surely not the unique or interesting one..

But the really annoying character was Virgil.. Virgil felt like Hoyt in Far cry 3.. the final villain who doesn't fit to be the final villain.. The nonsensical character that feels it was just made evil to give you a final boss mission.. besides, the final scene "SPOILER" was dumb.. what do you mean by taking control of the world.. what they gonna do? hit a button? make another virility?

In the overall.. it's a great game. if you want to play a game that's very enjoyable.. very fun.. but with shallow story and writing, Then this is your choice.

P.S: I never played any DMC before. only played devil may cry 3 for like the first two hours and haven't really kicked in into the game.. So this review is not in compare to previous games.. it's based solely on what the new DMC offers.
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    The art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked veryThe art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked very good, take the Street Fighter IV and sequels series or the Dead Rising series...even the Resident Evil 5 and sequels series had more brilliant colours and better textures. What is worst, the game makes no use of environmental mapping and landscapes, backgrounds, locations all look blurry and confused (some objects look pixelized! That's a shame for today games!). If it wasn't that we are in 2013, I would have thought that this was a 2007 game visually talking, as it's very disappointing.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a pleasant game, very action oriented, fast and paced. There is variety of enemies, different weapons, very good combo choice and character advancement during the game. But the gameplay becomes boring and repetitive very soon and the thing you keep doing is pressing attack buttons, and so on...again and again. The story is featureless and banal, you have been hearing of that stuff lots of times before...nothing new about that, the eternal conflict between angels and demons.

As for music and sounds, the game is pretty good and voice acting is immersive and believable. Controls are generally good, but when you come to combos some issues arise because e.g. pressing Q+RM or Q+F+space and so on is not always responsive and smooth, and this will often oblige you to restart from the last platform again and again... Longevity? I have finished the game is 9+1/2 hours. To sum it up, DmC: Devil May Cry could have been a very good game if it had featured a less repetitive gameplay and a more attention to controls smoothness and graphics quality for PC gamers.
  15. Apr 11, 2013
    A good game and nice graphics but the overall factor wasnt so nice... I was a bit disappointed. I expected interactive cut scenes and it would have made the game a lot better but anyways it provided a nice experience and the hack and slash was extreme..
  16. Mar 18, 2014
    The game is beautiful and very good optimized, the stages have good design sometime to colorful. But the characters are week, disappointing for me bad reboot(not talking for Dante hairs), the jokes are not funny some bosses look annoying don't like all the weapons. Beautiful Hack and slash with poor characters and story.
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    However not only was DMC outsourced - Ninja Theory - the Director of the Devil May Cry Series is now with Platinum Games, has been since Bayonetta
    #####
    Dante's character in DMC had some throw backs to the original, however my taste - maybe because I am getting older - having the F word thrown around as much just wasn't a good characteristic, the original Dante never had to go that far.
  18. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convolutedI'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2013
    The new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not veryThe new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not very interesting it was fine. The graphics and character animations were great and it really showed the amount of work it has been put into the game. I only wish they had done the same with the character developement, I only liked Lilith, Dante, Virgil and that little wiccan babe, whose name I can't remember now, were pretty uninteresting and thats pretty bad considering that those were the characters you were supposed to like and care for. The game also has some of the worst one liners I've ever heard in a video game (DANTE SUCKS lol), but the thing that made me go from an 8 to a 7 was the difficulty. I played it on Nephilim (Hard) and I pretty much destroyed everyone easily and that sucks when you're playing a series in which you're used to curse and want to puch people in the face every time you die (there used to be many of those times in ealrier DMC's). Despite the flaws, this is a very good game overall and it at least deserves a rental so you can playthrough it once. Expand
  20. Feb 5, 2013
    AVERAGE that's all I can say. I have to be honest and say I haven't played any other DMC games but I was disappointed in this one even though I don't have anything to compare it to. Nothing revolutionary at all. Just a standard hack n slash with some weapon and ability upgrades. The game itself is way too easy and there just aren't enough enemies on the screen to make it engaging enough.AVERAGE that's all I can say. I have to be honest and say I haven't played any other DMC games but I was disappointed in this one even though I don't have anything to compare it to. Nothing revolutionary at all. Just a standard hack n slash with some weapon and ability upgrades. The game itself is way too easy and there just aren't enough enemies on the screen to make it engaging enough. Dante is also an obnoxious arrogant self-absorbed tool I couldn't stand some of his dialogue. Waste of 6-8 hours when I look back on it, I could have been playing something better. Expand
  21. Jan 19, 2015
    I have to say,DmC isn't the worst reboot,but it definitely has it's fair share of mistakes . However,this doesn't take away the absolute awesome moments in the game,so lets do this quick!

FINAL VERDICT Modern setting- 2 Plot is actually the best out of all the other DmC's (DevilMayCry)- 3 Graphically beautiful- 1 In the beggining sequence of the game when the white emo wig perfectly

FINAL VERDICT
    Modern setting- 2
    Plot is actually the best out of all the other DmC's (DevilMayCry)- 3
    Graphically beautiful- 1
    In the beggining sequence of the game when the white emo wig perfectly lands on Dante's head (A complete **** you to the fans of the old Dante,IT WASN'T AN EASTER EGG!)- -1
    Dante's new look and a bit of shift in personality- -3

FINAL RESULT=7
  22. Feb 4, 2013
    It's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippersIt's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippers and demons and angels while rehashing Dante's genesis with some super-human action thrown in the hack and slash mix to make them feel like they're doing something." If you can keep your opinion from hinging heavily on subject matter the presentation is great. I do have to say though who thought Dante's new look should be white-trash douche in an overcoat? Bad move totally cost this game a lot of cool points. Not that I prefer the original look, I just don't really think they did any better. Collapse
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    This isn't a perfect game, but its not as overly terrible as everyone makes it out to be and it most certainly isn't a gem. First off, the "bad" of this game, which are quite obvious: Design, Writing, Difficulty, and small game play elements. While there are some interesting platforming segments, the overall look and feel of this game isn't appealing, and just comes off as a bright lightThis isn't a perfect game, but its not as overly terrible as everyone makes it out to be and it most certainly isn't a gem. First off, the "bad" of this game, which are quite obvious: Design, Writing, Difficulty, and small game play elements. While there are some interesting platforming segments, the overall look and feel of this game isn't appealing, and just comes off as a bright light show. Writing is where this game takes its toll, with dialogue that is so horrid that I end up face palming every time. The way these characters are implemented into this new reboot is a disgrace to their original counter-parts, and the story isn't anything spectacular as expected. This game isn't difficult at all, and even on the game's supposed "hard" mode, it felt like normal mode. Some game play elements, such as no lock-on and sometimes frustrating camera can be an annoyance to any player. But what I was most disappointed in with the game play elements, was the fact that the game shoves the new weapons to you so quick, that you aren't able to have the time to master them. Also, Devil Trigger is just a free get-out-of-jail card.

The "good" of this game? Game play. It feels as a Devil May Cry game should, with some new additions. The game plays smooth on a PC with the right specs, don't bother with the console version where you're given half of the experience. If you actually take the time to practice, you can make some pretty combos with the variety of weapons given. Platforming is actually good in this game, and although it is brain dead easy, its pretty entertaining in some segments.

Final thoughts: Again, Its not a completely terrible game. From what I've heard, Ninja Theory have made some pretty great games with deep narrative, but this game isn't one of them. It has it's flaws, but at the very least I suggest you give it a try and see if it'll change your mind. You'll find something enjoyable at the least.

P.S.: Ninja Theory, that white wig joke wasn't funny.

Also, to the people criticizing a game they haven't played, and created accounts just to make the score sink for this game. You guys are pathetic.
  24. Mar 11, 2013
    I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised.I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised. The gameplay, although easier, is brilliant and made me forget about the new characters and the arguably mediocre plot very quickly. The level design is gorgeous and Combichrist really made an awesome job on the aggressive soundtrack. The guitar in the combat themes will make you feel like a badass. There are two things (well, aside for Dante's behaviour in the beginning) that annoyed the crap out of me: the lack of a lock on feature (this NEEDS to be patched, especially if they're planning on releasing future DLCs) and the way they pictured Sparda. From invincible overpowered hero to...well...useless Also, I don't understand why they removed the taunting option. From a technical point of view I'd say the game is nearly perfect, with very few to no bugs (at least, that's my experience), amazing graphics and responsive controls. A quality porting...not something I'm used to, especially when it comes to this kind of games. Overall, although I initially hated to admit it, I had a lot of fun with this game. While playing it's clear as day that the developers put a lot of effort and hard work into it and that's not something you see very often nowadays so I take my hat off before NT's developers and artists, as well as Noisia and Combichrist. It's good to see some people still care about what they do. My rating would be 7/7.5 if we look at it as a Devil May Cry game but a solid 8.5 if we consider it as a normal hack'n slash. In any case, it's worth a try. P.S. Now I would like to see a game in the original Devil May Cry universe, Capcom...pretty please? lol Expand
  25. Jul 29, 2013
    This game had a lot of potential, however there a several reasons why this is not a 10. Without playing as Vergil this game seems incomplete to me. You need to purchase a lazy piece of DLC to do that.
    Also, the lack of skins for yourself and weapons is an issue, also because you need to buy them if you want any. Maybe I find this to be a huge problem because I am from a time where you unlocked such things through game play and not you wallet.
    The last part of the game seemed lazy, and the lack of a targeting system really pissed me off at times.
  26. May 23, 2015
    this game is quite nice. The story is quite ok and the characters are also ok . The difficulty level is not bad but i find DMC3 and Dmc4 is far more challenging. The boss battles are nice. And the new redesign of Dante and Vergil is nice but i prefer the original design & personality of Capcom did. The ost is ok but i think Capcom has better OST maker. And *spoiler alert*this game is quite nice. The story is quite ok and the characters are also ok . The difficulty level is not bad but i find DMC3 and Dmc4 is far more challenging. The boss battles are nice. And the new redesign of Dante and Vergil is nice but i prefer the original design & personality of Capcom did. The ost is ok but i think Capcom has better OST maker. And *spoiler alert* ................................. i think DMC3 final mission is more difficult, challenging than this game final mission. For Dmc3 and DMC4, player can choose 4 style+. This game has no style selection. And 1 more con is no taunt . Expand
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely great game.
    I haven't played DmC since DmC3, and at first didn't like the look of this one, but I gave it a go nonetheless.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. The combat system is superb, the soundtrack is great (although won't be to everyone's taste), and the graphics and level design is top-notch, although slightly corridor. Unfortunately, the story let it down
    Absolutely great game.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.
    Unfortunately, the story let it down slightly, as it was vague and there was no real "drive" behind Dante's actions, whereas the story in the older games was more detailed, but still a great game nonetheless.
    It was also somewhat short, leaving maybe enough replay value for a second (but unlikely a third) playthrough.

I'd recommend it, but maybe when it's nice and cheap.
  28. Feb 13, 2013
    Okey, so I´ve been playing this game for around five hours. Sure, I can say that I never have been much for hack and slash. But I loved the older DMC games! I feel that they wanted too much with this game, they wanted the old style from DMC but they also wanted to add a lot of thing, personely I think it´s way too much things to keep track on. All from the weapons, wips and skills. In theOkey, so I´ve been playing this game for around five hours. Sure, I can say that I never have been much for hack and slash. But I loved the older DMC games! I feel that they wanted too much with this game, they wanted the old style from DMC but they also wanted to add a lot of thing, personely I think it´s way too much things to keep track on. All from the weapons, wips and skills. In the end I just mashed X-button, to get rid of the mobs. The mobs are so boring, they don´t even look intresting. But the bosses, ohh mama! They were really nice, especially the voice acting! I remember the old days, playing DMC with the stiff camera, those were the days. Expand
  29. Feb 18, 2013
    DMC have personally been associated with the charismatic blond Dante. Developers have destroyed a great series of games. All that remained at the level: it's graphics, fun carnage and good music.
    This is not the DMC that once was.
  30. Apr 10, 2013
    This game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriouslyThis game is not as hard the old DMC games, the story is different, and so are the characters. But this is still a damn fun game. If you are an older player of this series, chances are you will not like this game based on what you see. But I can guarantee you, buy it, and you will have fun. The combat, while easy, is fast-paced, energetic and fluid and is accompanied by a seriously kick-ass soundtrack. What I didn't like about this game is the ridiculously easy boss fights who telegraph their moves way before they do them, and overall the weak characters of Dante and Vergil. Somewhere about 3/4s these two do something so morbid and despicable, I cannot describe it. The story is also very cliche and feels like a copy/paste of the movie "They live". Dante also swears a ton and isn't amusing as he was in the previous games. But hey, it's a 7/10 for me generally because of how well combat is done, which is the central point of the series anyways. Trust me, you should buy this game if you are into DMC and spectacle fighters. Angry fanboys are just killing their own series because they refuse to buy this game. But all they do is miss out of a fun game, and possibly any future such games. Expand
  31. Jan 26, 2013
    In short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of theIn short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of the whole over the top coolness. Dante is supposed to be a smooth dude who always finds the write words to make you grin, he is not supposed to feel like "a real guy" with "real feelings" that Expand
  32. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics:
    The game looks really great. The visual design of the areas you go through is top notch. Limbo has a saturated feel to it with a lot of vibrant colors that I think are really nice. In particular the Nightclub you go through is a very cool area. The way levels twist around you is nice.
    That said the design of the levels is subpar. There is exploration of side paths to find upgrades but other than that the levels are fighting areas with straight lines in between.
    Moving around with the A/D pull is neat at first but the game never really does anything with it. You may as well be walking down a hallway. Its a pretty hallway, but its still a hallway.

Enemy design is pretty great for the most part. The katana enemies are really awesome looking as are the creepy baby demons. Some are stupid (like the orange chainsaw men) or designed in a really blatant way (HIT MY GIANT BELLY ORB PLEASE).

Character designs are okay. Dantes looks like a douche though.
    Vergil looks better but his outfit is silly. Kat is odd. In some scenes she looks attractive but in others her face looks retarded.

Sound:
    Music. Blegh. Most of it is very generic sounding dubstep that can get a bit obnoxious at times. Its not all bad though, there are some good tracks.
    Sound effects are meh. The sounds used for attacks makes them feel weak. Ebony and Ivory feel like peashooters with a tinny sound effect and Angel Weapons and Rebellion dont feel like theyre doing much. The Axe and the Fists have pretty good sound effects though. The big meaty WHUNK when you hit something is nice.
    Voice acting is passable. None of the characters are memorable though. A lot just sounds like actors saying their lines. Also Dantes voice acting really worse towards the end of the game.

Writing: Average at best and horrible at worst.
    Some of its witty. Dante has some cool lines and has an ok arc. Other dialog is cringeworthy and tries too hard (like calling Dante a scrotum-sack.)
    Unfortunately Dante never really stops being unlikeable. Its hard to get invested because you hate the main character. Several things are brought up once and never mentioned again or left unexplained.
    Eg: The game tells us that 'Demons and Angels have always existed and they have always been at war'.
    But we never see an Angel. If Angels exist, where are they?
    It feels like the writers wanted to make Dante cooler so they made him an Angel/Devil hybrid. Eva became an Angel without giving a second thought to the consequences of having Angels exist.

I like the idea of Demons pulling the strings of corporations and governments to control humanity. But it goes nowhere. We know they are controlling humanity, but why? Do Demons eat Humans? Do they harvest their souls for power? Why are they doing all this? Never explained.
    Vergils turn at the end of the game comes out of nowhere. It was a complete asspull.
    The game had shown him as willing to sacrifice lives for his goals but it was never foreshadowed that he wanted to rule the world. Gameplay:
    Fighting is fluid. Everything flows together and its easy to dispatch multiple enemies. Problem is its TOO easy.
    The game does a good job at making you feel powerful but it doesnt feel satisfying because of how easy it is. Most enemies will stand around waiting for you to beat the **** out of them. The color-coded enemies are a stupid decision. Theres no complex gameplay around them. Just hit them with a specific weapon. It quickly becomes annoying.

The game hands out S ranks like candy. You can do even the most basic combos and have the game give you SSS. Feels cheap.

Boss fights are way too easy. All you do is dodge the telegraphed attacks and occasionally deal damage until the boss falls down giving you 10 seconds or so to beat on them then repeat. Again this doesnt feel satisfying.
    The bosses are well designed visually however. The media boss is stellar in particular.

I am completely baffled as to why lock-on is absent. It makes literally no sense. The game does a good job at figuring out who you want to attack but not having a lock on is still a bizarre design choice. It limits your combat moves in a series that is all about the combat. Having a lock-on allows you to have different directional inputs for different moves while still ensuring your target is the one you intend. Its not like the controller doesnt have room for it. Both LB and RB are dodge. They function identically. Why couldnt LB have been dodge and RB have been lock on? Devil Trigger is not only pointless in this game its also more of a hindrance than a useful ability.
    Using DT sends EVERY ENEMY into the air and then holds them there. This also plays into the unsatisfying combat. Beating on completely defenseless enemies doesnt feel engaging. The increase in power you get is tiny, so DT becomes nothing more than a way to refill your health or a panic button.
  33. Mar 9, 2013
    I've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil mayI've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil may Cry: Devil May Cry) is on the good side, a solid action game with decent combat, a good soundtrack ,satisfyingly visceral gamefeel and inventive platofrming, it has gorgeous scenery and level design, and had it been a standalone game it would be fine, a decent 6-7. But as this is a supposed reboot of a beloved franchise, this game is an awful disservice. The Good: The Combat is solid, the Platforming as I said was nice, and some of the characterization is well done, some clever dialogue, decent storytelling at times and a generally cool premise.
    The Bad: This game is a slap in the face to any Devil May Cry fan. It takes what was good about the previous games franchise and totally misses the point. Dante is immature, and childish. the "Humor" is most of the time juvenile rubbish, the plot is predictable and the characters are nauseating. The Villain is decent, only because he is a blatant rip off of Lex Luthor with Al Pacino's character from "The Devil's Advocate", Vulgar, Disgusting and most bosses (with one notable and awesome exception) are just boring. The game is on easy mode the whole time, as it gets closer to the end the being forced to use angel or demon weapons on certain enemies becomes a chore and severely hampers the freedom of the game's otherwise excellent combat, it's simplistic in a bad way and compared to other Devil may Cry entries doesnt cut the mustard at all. As the much as the story was never the strong point of Devil May Cry, it made up for the laughable dialogue and plot with charm and cheeky delivery. It was a Japanese Evil Dead in a way, and we loved it. This doesnt capture that same spirit and tries too hard to be punk, but misses the point of the series. This drags the whole game down. That and the insulting jabs at Devil May Cry fans (while later trying to pander to them through DLC) is disgusting and mean spirited, not at all the kind of gentle ribbing a lot of remakes give as winks and nods to fans. These jabs feel born out of bitterness and mean spirited arrogance, not playful and loving satire. The whole experience, taken together, gives an otherwise good game a sour taste in my mouth, worst of all. The game isn't as bad as I wanted it to be, and this sounds weird, I know. The Ugly: I was Promised Vergl becoming a Fedora wearing T-rex, Time travelling Dante, insanity and crazyness. I got none of that, I didn't get smoker heroin addict emo donte, I didn't get awkward spidey 3 peter parker dante, I got bland "I knew in my heart I wasnt crazy" dante. and That is not Dante, Dante is always Crazy, Dante is ridiculous, Devil May Cry is over the top theatrics, stylish and awesome gameplay and a cheap b-movie plot and cheesy dialogue that is full of charm and melodrama. The cynicism in this game poisons the charm, the best part of the game is when it's at it's most absurd with the Bill o'reily expy and the club sequence. The "Limbo" sections with the giant statue thingy and the more weird parts. But over all, Devil May Cry is not a game that takes itself seriously. That is this game's chief problem it takes itself seriously. It does a terrible job of capturing what makes Devil May Cry loved, and should have been an entirely new IP

The Verdict: DmC: Devil May Cry is a fine game taken on it's own. It's fun, it's exciting, it has an alright story, and decent storytelling, gorgeous enviroments, fun gameplay mechanics and excellent combat. It is also perhaps the best Port of the series and runs great on the PC. This is bogged down by childish dialogue, poor adaption to the series, takes itself too serious, bad acting out the ass. (with a few exceptions) and poor execution of a lot of good ideas, to make matters worse, the game cant pick a tone and stick with it. Overall though, while not bad, it's not good either, which unfortunately consigns this title to the same bargain bin as Devil May Cry 2. They deserve each other in a way. Worth a play if you want a laugh, but I wouldn't spend much money on it.
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    If you have never played a DmC game before and you like beat em ups then this is a good game for you. Very playable with an easy to understand control system. The responsiveness of your character is great and helps to immerse you into the battles. The storyline, while short, is entertaining enough too. The graphics, while limited by console restrictions on the PC, are nicely done.
    That's
    That's the good stuff out of the way. Now for the bad...
    You will be doing puzzle after puzzle throughout this game and this can become mundane. Made even harder by the fact that you are required to memorize a large combination of buttons in order to pull some of the moves off required by the task you are doing. For the combat, it's not bad at all and gives you a real feel of power, but for the puzzles it just had me thinking; A game's difficulty should not be based on how hard it is to remember which button combination does what.
    The limitation to the graphics on the PC are restrictive. The PC version could have looked so much better than it did. Don' get me wrong, it still looks nice, but the potential was not taken advantage of.
    If you are looking for a game you can just pick up and play for 1 hour, and enjoy yourself then DmC is definitely worth a shot. PC Players be sure to use a gamepad or you will regret it!
  35. Jun 15, 2013
    Well the Idea of changing the game was not bad, but....
    First things first: The good thing is, the leveldesing is amazing, the soundtrack is great, the enemys are different.
    But on the other hand, the original Dante and Vergil in DMC 3 are unmatchable... There will never be a better Devil May Cry then the third part.
  36. Apr 5, 2014
    The game is good but it's created 100% for consoles. The movement, the fights, everything. May be if I owned a console would play it, but after the first mission I uninstalled it.
  37. Jan 31, 2013
    Solid game, very bad Devil May Cry game.

Combo ranks are easy to get to double S, bosses are trivial at best.
    Good platforming though, still not a solid Devil May Cry however, better luck next time.
  38. Feb 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't like the name. DMC Devil May Cry. What's the logic in that? I was thinking that it will ruin the game this new Dante change, but I think that it's pretty cool and it has some of the old Dante's magic. I like how the new Vergil looks but I would expect more from him. The old Vergil was way cooler plus that I loved the women from previous DMC's. It feels like all the female characters are on screen to flash boobs and asses. Oh wait...they are.

I like how the combat system did not change. Only the part where I have to press A x2 than STOP and than mash to infinite and beyond. What's up with that? Like we needed that in the other DMC's. The whole series are based on mash, mash, mash and face mash controller moves. Really now, do you guys really take time to memo combos? Well, I have to admit, I know one: RT+X than RT+Y and all over again, The skill process is kind of the same as in DMC4, no change here or there's no change that I can notice.
    I don't like the Boss fights. Really, I don't like it. It's to easy. I have time to roll, jump and go and recover. Nothing challenging about Boss fight's. I like how the set was done. From the carnival to the energy drink factory to the up-side-down tower and the club scene. They really look good and I love how they used the Unreal Engine to change the world around you. The story is pretty kind of the same-ish. Except for the new Dante, Vergil, Kat and the Deamon and that the world is ran by demons and Dante, Vergil and Kat are set to stop them BUT here come DMC2, Vergil is evil. He wants to run the world. Ohhhhh...why didn't you say so? Is this a prequel to DMC3? Because I would expect a new DMC to come out, called DMC Devil May Cry DMC(Stupid name) and go by the story: Vergil wants to take over the world and he want to expand he's power so he can kill Dante and he want's to open a new hell gate. I really don't know why people are so in love with this new game or why the hate it. It's kind of the old series. Yes, at the end Dante will have white hair all over again. I would not rate it with 0,not just because is stupid, but because it's not a 0 mark game. It's a good game with great graphics with great control, great acting, great fighting combo system but the story it's kind of the same. Nothing new really under the sun. My score for this game is 7.
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    Combat sytem is fine.

Storyline sucks Dante is as hell and not the funny type of either. Just annoying. What happened to the fun and charming one-liners of the old Dante? What happened to the bad ass comebacks he would give to all the devils that stood in his way? His dialogue/script in this game is terrible and feels foreign. This isn't the Dante we've been used to. Dante's new
    Combat sytem is fine.

Storyline sucks

Dante's new model sucks baboon buttocks. They change his style and make fun of the original with the lame-*** wig comment on the 1st Mission. Dafaq is that?

This game is a slap to the face to DMC fans everywhere.

And why the does Devil Trigger have to launch everyone in the air? That's just plain annoying and the color scheme that comes along when you activate it makes it hard to see the enemies. This just begs for you to use the Aquila combo to gather the enemies up again.

And finally, the boss battles are sub-par to say the least. The mechanics are extremely cliche with mostly just hit and run tactics. I never got an adrenaline rush like I used to. The soundtracks weren't as amazing and blood boiling as they used to be. The final boss gave me a BIT of a rush but it wasn't anything close to the previous games in the series.

So many things wrong with this game. I'm just glad at least the combos and fighting pace are good. Not worth $50.
  40. Feb 15, 2013
    You'll either love it or hate it, with few in the middle ground. Graphically, it's sound, and game play is smooth. It's linear with little exploration more of a tunnel and enemies can force you into utilizing specific weaponry which can render some aspects of the combat repetitious. It contains profanity which seems more excessive than necessary in that the language loses impact/emotionYou'll either love it or hate it, with few in the middle ground. Graphically, it's sound, and game play is smooth. It's linear with little exploration more of a tunnel and enemies can force you into utilizing specific weaponry which can render some aspects of the combat repetitious. It contains profanity which seems more excessive than necessary in that the language loses impact/emotion but not to the extent of tourette syndrome Still, with it's generous style point reward and ease of execution, the game brings a new generation into the Devil May Cry universe. Expand
  41. Apr 30, 2013
    DmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooterDmC:Devil may Cry is easily one the best game and a refreshing one that come out of late. A HnS game that doesn't rely on QTE, actually let you chain combos with a nice variation of weapon, and actually having some enemies worthy of DMC name it bears. All of this of course only possible thanks to the unimaginative mind of most developers where the all the combat gameplay fall into shooter genre plus minus some gimmicky mechanics. Not saying shooter is bad, but if 7 out 10 games that came out are shooter, something is wrong.

DmC's gameplay is clearly lacking when compared to the older DMC, No lock on, slow paced combat, slow and unintuitive enemies, poor boss fights.
    In DmC we just have to hope that Dante attacks the enemy we want to attack, the lack of hard lock on diminish the precision of attacks or combos we could have and even become more apparent in vergil's downfall.
    Now when i say slow paced combat, i of course mean compared to the old series, even DMC3 is a lot faster in combat. This varies greatly with how you play, but generally this is because of the slow demon weapons, even when you only use it scarcely, the animation for it is taking so much time that it abruptly slow you down from your previous combos.
    The normal enemies are telegraphing their moved decades before they actually attack, hence at the end of the day they are no more than punching bags waiting to be slaughtered and provide no challenge at all... Some of the harder enemy, dreamrunner and drekavac,are actually challenging, but their near perfect blocking limits people in what they could use in a combo and break the flow of a combo more often mundane than challenging. Then there are those color coded enemies, the worst of all, because obviously for the same reason, but now they limit you more and their basic AI design is so boring when compared to dreamrunners. DmC insists on adding layers of shields rather than making their AI better, faster and more responsive.
    The boss fights could be the worst part of the game, if not for vergil and barbas. All of the other bosses are just giant punching bag that doesn't even know how to fight back and I'm talking about DMD difficulty.Talk about la big let down.

But even after all that, DmC is surprisingly fun to play, since it was designed to give you that awesome feeling even though you didn't do anything out of the ordinary. The aerial combat is too easy too pull but it makes up for some awesome visual feats. Now the design to make the game forgiving is rather understandable since it was to pull in some new people to the devil may cry, but it was rather too easy.

DmC is lacking in front of DMC(combat gameplay wise) but it is a great game when judged on its own merit.
    All in all DmC is a solid game when it stands alone. I'm even somewhat sure that if DmC:Devil may Cry was to be given new title, it would sold more.
  42. Jan 27, 2013
    Wow, I would like to ask about how many of these people scoring 0 on this game have actually completed it.

Ok, first of all, I've clreared all Devil May Cry games, on all difficulties. So I've done with this and damn it, its not that bad, seriously. You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other

You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other company.

When you get this clear, then you can objectively rate this game.

I have done so, and I can say that its a good game. Cool graphic style, nice gameplay (a lil' bit different from original ones) great music and sound effects. The plot is not as awesome as on DMC 1 and 3 but still large way better than 2.

I think Ninja Theory did a good job in fact, but not brilliant, that's why I give it 7 points.

Let's hope they get better with age and DMC 2 do honor to the saga it belongs.
  43. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so call me one of the "haters" of this game ever since it was announced. It's a good game, there, I said it. However, there ARE problems with it, and there ARE SPOILERS in this review.

The gameplay, while being Ninja Theory's best attempt so far, is simply not up to par with a Devil May Cry game. There are some baffling design choices, like the removal of a lock-on (which is even more crazy with the sheer amount of flying enemies there are) the colored enemies (namely when they throw blue ones at you since you can just beat the other enemies, save the blue one for last but it's boring because you can just combo it to oblivion since there's no worries of being knocked out of a combo, but they take forever to kill because angel weapons are so weak) and the style meter. (which has been slightly adjusted since the game came out but it's still far too easy to get a SSS and maintain it.) The heavily scripted platforming also makes a game series which has always rewarded multiple playthroughs a drag on multiple playthroughs, because you already know the solution to each platforming sequence.

Now then, onto the story. It's complete and utter garbage, especially considering one of the reasons Capcom even asked Ninja Theory to make Devil May Cry was because of their storytelling. The writing is childish and seems like something you would see out of a fanfiction (Ninja Theory hopping on that Nephilim bandwagon!) and Dante just comes across as a loud jerk, while Vergil comes off as somebody who does NOTHING WHATSOEVER DURING THE ENTIRE GAME. He was one of the best written characters in both the original Devil May Cry (even with NO dialogue whatsoever, what does that tell you?) and in Devil May Cry 3, even though Devil May Cry 3 by all accounts had a very generic storyline, but it WAS executed well.

Okay, so Vergil basically has no personality whatsoever in this game despite the fact Mundus killed his and Dante's mother, and imprisoned Sparda indefinitely. He shows no "anger" towards Mundus, or barely any enthusiasm about anything, even when he learns of Mundus' unborn child and subsequently murders it during the infamous hostage exchange sequence. Dante at least shows some emotion, despite how badly written and crude it is at times. Vergil however is literally a blank slate. Sure, some people will say that Vergil is just displaying how calm and collected he was, but he's just written badly, there's no ifs ands or buts about it. Dante's writing seems like a masterpiece in comparison to Vergil, despite how pointlessly crude he's written like they first discovered that swear words existed. I will say, not all the characters are written badly, but out of the three main characters, Kat, Vergil and Dante are for the most part written very poorly. The voice actors' performance is also nothing special.

The best characters, in order of how good they are go like this: Bob Barbas (Just doing God's work) Mundus and Lilith. (and their voice actors are fairly good, they manage to convey some real emotion.)

For all of the buildup to confronting Mundus also the boss fight was very underwhelming, as were most of the boss fights in the game, they feel more like something that belongs in a platformer than a Devil May Cry game. (all 6 of them) Vergil is the most DMC like boss fight, but is still very underwhelming because he's laughably easy even on Dante Must Die. The best boss fight in the game was Bob Barbas, hands down, and I absolutely think he was the best character in the game period.

Also, Vergil's heel turn at the end is unbelievably stupid and comes out of left field. People told me that it was building up to it, but god no they didn't build up to it at all. Kat willingly let herself be taken in by the SWAT team during the raid on The Order so that Vergil and Dante could get away, and some people will say Vergil didn't give a damn when he was starting a firefight during the hostage exchange (but conveniently all of the bullets shot by both sides managed to miss Kat despite the fact she was hobbling to the car, YAY PLOT ARMOR!)

Oh, and by the way, you beat Vergil in Devil Trigger, and when Dante comes out of Devil Trigger during the cutscene, his hair is inexplicably white permanently. No explanation, no fanfare, no nothing. Not even any comments from Vergil or Kat like "Hey, your hair looks different" or "Hey bro, it looks good white."

In short, I like the game, but it could literally be called anything but Devil May Cry, and there'd be no controversy, no intense scrutiny of the game, no nothing, and it would probably be enjoying good sales. If Ninja Theory can improve the writing, improve some of the gameplay in the sequel if it garners enough sales for a sequel, I'll probably happily buy it and give it a more favorable review.
  44. Feb 4, 2013
    I have tried DMC 3 and 4, and I have to say DMC 5 is my favorite. It is a big improvement for Capcom, a Japanese company, finally willing to hire non-Japaneses. The old DMC are too all two-dimensional and linear. The previous skill upgrade system is a hassle and I found the control a mess. This new one uses the Unreal engine, which makes it 3 dimensionally more acceptable, and theI have tried DMC 3 and 4, and I have to say DMC 5 is my favorite. It is a big improvement for Capcom, a Japanese company, finally willing to hire non-Japaneses. The old DMC are too all two-dimensional and linear. The previous skill upgrade system is a hassle and I found the control a mess. This new one uses the Unreal engine, which makes it 3 dimensionally more acceptable, and the mechanics is a bit better. (Still not quite up to the standards, if you ask me.) The heterogeneous nature of the production team improves the gameplay. Video game industry is evolving at an alarming rate. The Japanese style was great, 20 years ago, but since then many things have changed. It is nice to see finally Capcom is willing to compete on an international scale. This game style is similar to Darksider and Darksider is more mature in terms of mechanics and story. Expand
  45. Feb 11, 2013
    Nice fight game... Not classic DMC but modern, and much better in my opinion. Optimisation is great, on my Athlon x3 450 and GTX460 running at 80 FPS on very high You can relax at this game easily.
  46. Mar 28, 2013
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring game. Monsters, nothing else. City damages very pretty by scripts and taht's all.
  47. Apr 18, 2013
    Definitely liked it better than the others but the action got a bit stale toward the end. The camera pissed me off and so did the platforming segments. The presentation and story is what made me grin and bear it. Loved the ending.
  48. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me just straight to the point. As the new reboot of the DmC story, it sure has some interesting part, even though overall I think the story has yet to reach its max potential. Frankly, the integration of the weapons and the story is better than the previous DmC. It's a shame that I think that the only plus point of the game.

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't quite that deep. Second, unlike previous DmC games, this fifth installments is rather easy and it has no challenge. They should at the very least add more puzzles to the game. The third one, Dante's design really different than the previous DmC, making it like it isn't a DmC game. And the fourth one, I am rather disappointed because I think DmC 4 has better graphic than this DmC.
  49. Jan 11, 2014
    After being curious about the reboot, being a huge fan of the original 4 I must say it doesn't quite cut the cake when it comes to originality as far as its characters or fighting style. In the first hour I was furiously frustrated with the new layout for combat, two buttons for sword attacks drove me insane and NO FRICKEN LOCK ON BUTTON!!! On the plus side combos are more fluid and easierAfter being curious about the reboot, being a huge fan of the original 4 I must say it doesn't quite cut the cake when it comes to originality as far as its characters or fighting style. In the first hour I was furiously frustrated with the new layout for combat, two buttons for sword attacks drove me insane and NO FRICKEN LOCK ON BUTTON!!! On the plus side combos are more fluid and easier to accomplish giving you the feeling of being a total badass, with that being said though its feels more like a god of war fighting style totally deviating from the original (as to be expected) also holding triggers down to keep weapons equipped and the grabbers can be quite confusing at times and takes getting used to. Story wise, it's bland and very (rage against industry) over fighting The Lord of hell. Getting past the new Dante's appearance he's just tasteless saying every combination of **** and **** possible with boring one liners and the lack of goofiness of the original, he just seems like a slob sex addict pretty boy with powers opposed to the arrogant calm demon hunter badass I and most other fans had loved. Overall I will judge on the game it self with no ties to the original because its not the same. I'd say rent it if you liked god of war and you like to strive for insane combos and test your abilities. I don't suggest you buy unless you plan on doing more then one play through or if your hardcore with the previous games or they're fighting engine because you will be disappointed. And as for me personally, I'd give it 6 out of 10 just because I'd didn't have any major issues according to playability and because although disappointing it was an alright shot at a reboot but just too many dramatic changes to get a majority of old fans back Expand
  50. Mar 23, 2014
    I really tired to give this game a fair shake but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into it. I have admittedly played the older dmc games and enjoyed mainly the third one but I don't think that's the reason I didn't care for this one much. I did like the limbo city level design, everything twisting and becoming a parallel demonic world was pretty cool looking, and theI really tired to give this game a fair shake but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into it. I have admittedly played the older dmc games and enjoyed mainly the third one but I don't think that's the reason I didn't care for this one much. I did like the limbo city level design, everything twisting and becoming a parallel demonic world was pretty cool looking, and the platforming/semi quick time event sections weren't excessively tedious which can sometimes be a problem with this kind of game. The music was also very nice. Where the game fell short for me was the combat, it wasn't that I was so amazing at the game, it's that the game kept rewarding me for excessive mediocrity. I found the controls slightly awkward for a while (though that was more a problem on my end than with the game) but it didn't really matter, I found that attacking a target and switching weapons/attacks at random consistently yielded SSS combat rating for no apparent reason. I had done nothing fancy, I hadn't avoided getting hit that often but so long as I kept switching weapons the game was pretty sure I was amazing so what was the point of actually learning how to chain anything? Again it's not that it was too easy or that I was so great, I was getting hit and sometimes getting hit badly, the game just didn't seem to care. It is also awkward to have no lock on system so you kind of have to just face the general direction of what you want to hit and hope the game understands what you're trying to do. The story was kind of meh but let's be honest here no one is playing this game for the amazing narrative, they're playing it for the ability to stab a giant demon in the face with a magic sword which the game does deliver on. My only other problem was the character design and oddly enough new Dante wasn't my issue, it was everyone else. They all looked strange to me and my biggest gripe strangely was new Vergil, I think they were going for sleek, cool, level headed badass but ended up with well dressed, yet still somehow out of place douchebag. That's not a huge deal breaker but it was slightly bothersome. Overall it's a decent action game but it's nothing special or different and the lack of motivation to get any better at fighting things was a big turn off. Expand
  51. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well i not saying this game is 100% suck buuut it's need just some stuff that we all want.
    OLD dante that is all the time badass . i don't think this "new emo dante or donte" is cool it's stupid srsly
    i don't want to tulk about vergil . the new one is .....suck just suck . that my opinion 0soo don't get mad or some thing.
    i see the graphiques was awesome i give it 8/10 the moves was cool but a bit slow but cool i give it 7/10
    the story is 5.5/10 didn't like it mush but not bad .
    i just feel bad to see the main character that i use to play with changed by a teen age boy want attention some how. that how it's looks . it was hard for me to egnore playing by him but i big fan of dmc so i have to . and way my point is . the most of the fans bad about the change of the characters and how they is .
    most of you does not care about the story since the character gone be like dante in DMC3 or DMC4 with the same voice acter . sorry for my english
  52. Jan 12, 2015
    I am a big fan of the DMC Series, and I was among the few that was actually impressed with how this DmC was. As I played the game I felt that the controls were very well laid out which made the combat in the game quite awesome. However, the downside to the game I found that on the hardest difficulty it wasn't very challenging and getting SSS class was too easy.

The story telling of this

The story telling of this DmC was exceptional, especially compared to the previous games in the series. I think that this is where DmC actually shines. (As well as the awesome sound track)

For people who love these 3D hack and slashers it is a must play game, in regards to people slating it simply because Dante doesn't look like the 'original' Dante, it is worth keeping an open mind and the punky style really works for him. So consider it stand alone, it is a great game so don't judge it on that.

I give it a 7 because it simply wasn't challenging enough.
  53. Apr 25, 2015
    this action game is great, the combo the style the weapons how realistic the animation is but.....
    this is not the devil may cry or Dante i used to play.... i'm a fan of devil may cry.. Dante,Vergil and Nero
    is a bad-ass character not like this...

DEVELOPER OF THIS GAME SLAP THE FACE OF THE OLD DANTE FANS WITH THE CHAPTER 1 JOKE ABOUT THE HAIR
  54. Feb 4, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.