6.9

1. Jun 22, 2013
    I haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay andI haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay and level design rather than arbitrarily. The cutscenes in this game are actually worth watching, and at the end of every level you want to know what's next in the story. The voice acting is amongst the finest I've come across too. But let's get down to it: what this game's really about is the fast-paced hectic combat. The game does a great job of introducing everything to you and incorporates this very well into the level design. There are a fair load of moves and these are cleverly split using Angel and Demon modes. Ninja Theory really thought hard about how to include a lot of distinct moves into a fast-paced game without the need for more technical inputs. The controls are great (when using Xbox 360 controller) and are easy to pick up. The combat is perhaps one of the most creative in the genre due to the number of moves, enemies and the pacing. Everything has a point and isn't there purely for style it's actually useful. There's also a training mode for testing out different combinations of attacks. Although creative, the combat isn't as hard-hitting or satisfying as Batman because it doesn't punish button mashing or require a lot of precision. However, as with the level design, the combat is totally psychedelic. There are some basic RPG elements present too. Collectibles and some objects give you money which can spent on health upgrades or extra lives. You also gain upgrades in a similar fashion to Batman in which you can spend on special moves to add to your arsenal. As you'd expect, you are given a score at the end of each level based on your performance. This does seem to slightly overrate how well you did compared to the individual breakdown of components, but hat isn't a bad thing I suppose. The difficulty levels are just right, and scoring system isn't too bad either. Overall, DmC is a great action game in all aspects. The graphics are incredible even though they don't require a supercomputer, the story is decent, level design isn't dull and combat is as it should be fast and fun. All the elements in the game complement the style so well, there doesn't seem to be anything out of place. The combat demolishes Arkham City for variety, since there are around 60 different moves (not to mention the different combinations and juggling), there are lots of different enemies and every level is different. There's always something new, and the level design is unlike anything you've ever come across because it's so unconventional. There aren't any fundamental criticisms I have of this game. If you want a fast-paced action game with a strong emphasis on combat and level design and a decent story AND is NOT generic, DmC is the best game for it. Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2016
    Game: DmC Devil May Cry
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Capcom System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Storyline covers all bases and character development is well made throughout the game +Gameplay
    Game: DmC Devil May Cry

• Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Gameplay is much more fluid and gives more freedom especially when it comes to using weapons and guns.
    +Most of the gameplay mechanics and assets used in previous games are used again in this game such as red orbs, usage of items, etc
    +New leveling up system allows you to gain ability points from killing enemies and giving you the ability to equip and unequip skills and abilities
    +Voice overs are done well and sound effects are spot on - go well with the environment
    +DLC consists of an additional storyline which let you play as Vergil along with that some additional costumes and abilities to further enhance the game
    +Replay value is a strong point just like in previous DMC games letting you play in different difficulty modes and lets you choose which missions you want to re-play.
    +Level design is the best made in the entire series
    +Bloody Palace mode is in the game which is a arena type mini game which lets you fight hordes of enemies in different levels and will get more challenging as you go up each level.

Cons
    -No manual lock on like in previous DMC games
    -Character design may put off some people specifically for Dante
    -DLC Storyline is mostly consisted of comic book cutscenes rather than using in game graphics for cutscenes
    -OST not as memorable as previous DMC games
  3. Dec 25, 2015
    DmC: Devil May Cry is different from previous installments, but that does not mean it is a bad game. In fact, this is one of the most exciting experiences people could find these days.
  4. Sep 10, 2015
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
  5. Nov 3, 2017
    This is a great action with the most sophisticated combat system I ever saw in arcade slasher. The plot is passable, pretty much everything else is good.
    The only thing that bothered me was the protagonist: really annoying teen that never gets punished for his overconfidence. But that's just my personal taste, probably I was just a bit too old to relate to such character.
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    ok when i first saw the trailer of this game and saw someone that looks weird and calling himself dante i was like hell no this will suck ass cause the older dante played a major role in the success of the series but as a huge fan of dmc i had to play this one and let me tell you it is a great game the gameplay is so good with so many weapons that you'll never see it repetitive and theok when i first saw the trailer of this game and saw someone that looks weird and calling himself dante i was like hell no this will suck ass cause the older dante played a major role in the success of the series but as a huge fan of dmc i had to play this one and let me tell you it is a great game the gameplay is so good with so many weapons that you'll never see it repetitive and the graphics in this game is so awesome really really good so what i didn't like about this game is pretty much the whole story was predictable and the new dante isn't that bad but what frustrated me is that in a scene a blue fake hair lands on his head and he became very much like the older dante and then he says not in a million year i saw that as an insult to the fans of the series in the end loved the game play loved the graphhics and the story is not that good but still satisfying Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    Even though the dumb Devil May Cry fanboys can't seem to read, this DmC REBOOT (just pointing out that it's a REBOOT, DMCfans. Reboot.) is one of the visually best games of the year so far, with extremely fun gameplay, an amazing storyline and tons of replayability.
  8. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of the finest brawler/slash-em-up games ever. On top of the excellent and intuitive control system that lets you unleash your combo fury (that is easy to access, hard to master) it has the most amazing art direction it could possibly have.

Ninja Theory continues its streak of GREAT games and playing it on the PC on 60 fps really helps the action and the responsiveness a lot.

Here's to one of the most underappreciated (by users) games of all time. And all because of some hair color.

It combines the combat of previous DMC games with the Angel/Devil (L/R Triggers) weapons to execute the most seamlessly combat flow ever. The story is not for everyone, though it's certainly an improvement of the series, but the combat is miles ahead both of the previous games and the competition.

Is it better than... say... God of War, Castlevania: LOS, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising...? DmC has the best combat of them all. Not the best game, though it's certainly the best of the series by far.
  9. May 29, 2015
    I played DMC 4 for several hours, ultimately it bored me. Then I played the second game on the PS3 HD boxset, it also bored me. Then I found this on a Steam sale and bought it for not many £. Whilst the stripped down gameplay may have upset fans of the original series, for someone like me who just wasn't into them it turned it into the perfect game. The story is fun, the graphics areI played DMC 4 for several hours, ultimately it bored me. Then I played the second game on the PS3 HD boxset, it also bored me. Then I found this on a Steam sale and bought it for not many £. Whilst the stripped down gameplay may have upset fans of the original series, for someone like me who just wasn't into them it turned it into the perfect game. The story is fun, the graphics are nice, and the gameplay is awesome fun. A lot of the levels are well designed with great set pieces and exciting sections, and huge, nasty bosses.

Regardless of what the "hardcore" fans think, I find this to be a fine addition to my library.
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    A really nice reboot. I was one of the hater who hated Ninja Theory for redesigned Dante too. The thing is, everything else except the look of the characters has lived up to my expectations. I would like to play the sequel of DmC. The only thing I can complain is that the game is too easy, so easy that smashing buttons can achieve SSS grades. Please make it more challenging in the next game.
  11. Apr 10, 2014
    Challenging, well built protagonist, huge variety of gameplay moves and attacks. The graphics are awesome and the story is non-realistic, but attractive. I guess it's none that I don't like, but it should be more.
  12. May 14, 2013
    This game is fantastic. I thought they did an excellent job showing us a young Dante. I'm 26 and I've played every DMC game from start to finish. I don't understand the hate for this game at all. The action is cool, the voice acting is solid, and the story is fun to watch unfold. I would have enjoyed some longer cutscenes to flesh out the story a bit more, but what's there is interestingThis game is fantastic. I thought they did an excellent job showing us a young Dante. I'm 26 and I've played every DMC game from start to finish. I don't understand the hate for this game at all. The action is cool, the voice acting is solid, and the story is fun to watch unfold. I would have enjoyed some longer cutscenes to flesh out the story a bit more, but what's there is interesting and enjoyable. I don't mind that Dante is no longer half-human, not really a big deal in my opinion. I'll be looking forward to a sequel. Expand
  13. Sep 20, 2014
    Odio a los idiotas que le dan 0,1 y 2 a este juego, este es un gran reboot.. ¿Por que lo odian? ¿Por la nueva apariencia y personalidad de Dante? Si esto fuera un Remak de el primer o el tercer juego valdría que fuera el mismo Dante, pero este es un reboot no tiene que ser igual. Quitando la comparación del nuevo y el viejo Dante este juego es sin dudas increíble y muy bueno. Fan boy: NO,Odio a los idiotas que le dan 0,1 y 2 a este juego, este es un gran reboot.. ¿Por que lo odian? ¿Por la nueva apariencia y personalidad de Dante? Si esto fuera un Remak de el primer o el tercer juego valdría que fuera el mismo Dante, pero este es un reboot no tiene que ser igual. Quitando la comparación del nuevo y el viejo Dante este juego es sin dudas increíble y muy bueno. Fan boy: NO, NO LO ES, DANTE ES UN EMO Y.... Y.... Y LO ODIO. No es un emo y no es un muerto que habla, en comparación con el original tampoco lo parece, el Dante antiguo esta sobre valorado. Yo no he jugado todos los Devil May Cry antiguos, solo el 3, pero Dante me parece un tipo duro muy torpe y poco mas. En DMC3 siempre la cagaba, no podía hacer algo sin que la cosa saliera mal. No siempre salía mal todo, pero era algo constante que podías esperar con seguridad en las cinemáticas. También hay gente que dice que el combate es malo por no ser uno completamente nuevo e innovador ya que usan algunas cosas de los anteriores DMC. El combate es buenísimo no hay duda, no es 100% nuevo ni innovador, es una mezcla de todo lo bueno del DMC3 con nuevas armas y habilidades. Otra cosa es que por lo que he oído la historia del DMC3 y DMC4 de los antiguos tenían la mejor historia de la serie antigua, pero eso no es decir mucho, e oído que DMC3 y DMC4 tienen la misma calidad de historia. ¿Y que había? pues en DMC3 tenias un hermano que viene a conquistar el mundo y lo vas a matar, FIN. Había drama (bien echo por cierto) pero uno podía sentir que no era la gran cosa por que era una precuela del DMC1, así que uno ya sabia que Dante sobreviviría y le ganaría. Aquí la historia es mucho mejor, si la tuviera que puntuar seria un 07/10, mejor que en DMC3, si tuviera que puntuar DMC3 seria un 05/10. Hay gente que dice que el combate y dificultad son un chiste. Pues todos son Fanboys por que la dificultad es buena. Hay 7 dificultades, las 3 primeras son fácil, medio y difícil, pero las otras 4 son una locura que te dará un muy buen reto. DMC3 me parece muy difícil en dificultad normal, mientras que este me parece justo con principiantes. Por lo que lo recomiendo para entrar a la franquicia, y si eres de los que les gusta los retos, los 4 modos de dificultad extra son muy muy difíciles de superar. Lo mas malo del juego seria que los personajes principales no son tan agradables como los originales, en eso tienen razón los fans y fanboys del original, Dante y Vergil no son tan agradables pero seguro que lo arreglan en los siguientes juegos. Este es un gran reboot. Pero tiene fallas en algunas partes, como que a veces los enemigos le darán al aire y te pegaran a ti, o que algunas escenas no se pueden saltar y molesta mucho cuando quieres apresurarte en un nivel. Este juego tiene mucha rejugabilidad y es un trabajo bien echo al final. Le doy un 08/10. Si los próximos DmC tienen la misma calidad de este juego, entonces me pueden considerar un fan del reboot. Expand
  14. Jan 11, 2014
    I played DmC for free on PS+ and this was also my first DmC. I have played hack-n-slash games like God of War and never particularly liked them. However, I did like DmC and its combat mechanics.

There are A LOT of weapons in DmC. If they didn’t space their reveals out so well, it could easily be cumbersome to try and combo with all of the different weapon types. Even for someone that is not skilled in these types of games, I did fairly well.

The atmosphere is one of the best this generation. For a game that plays heavily on Light and Dark themes, there is a dynamic color palette. The set-pieces are very pretty. However, in the former stages of the game, there are a few too many ground crumbling, impending doom concrete sequences. Overall, the PS3 framerate was satisfactory.

One of the biggest disappointments is the length. It couldn’t have been more than 8 hours for the core story. With such attention to detail to the environment every second of the story, it is easy to see why. The benefit of the duration is that there was never a dull moment and the game was well paced.

I thought the dialogue was actually pretty decent. A little too “punkish”, but still felt very real given the characters situation.

The combat surprised me the most. For a game that shares much with God of War, I was amazed how much I liked it and how easy it was to make it look fluid.
  15. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  16. Dec 30, 2016
    Este juego es completamente dinámico, completamente alucinante en sistemas de combate y con una jugabilidad y escenarios muy vistosos.
    TODO en este juego es una maravilla, exceptuando un par de detalles. Primero, la personalidad de Vergil y Dante. Si bien ninguno de los 2 son exactamnte iguales a lo que eran en las entregas anteriores en cuanto a fisico, esto no es tan relevante... Pero no se puede perdonar que les hayan cambiado tanto la personalidad. Por ejemplo, Dante pasó de ser un carismático a ser un amargado y agresivo. Vergil pasó de ser un tipo serio e inteligente a ser un estúpido que poco le falta para parecer gay.

Si bien la personalidad de estos 2 personajes cambió drásticamente, en cuanto a historia es el mejor devil may cry, y en cuanto a jugabilidad tambien lo es, por lo que es completamente injusto ponerle una nota baja siendo que representa tan pero tan bien sus generos.
    Es un juegazo en todos sus aspectos, el odio viene del lado de la gente que está enamorada de dante o vergil, de aquellas personas que no pueden aceptar que los personajes cambien. Para toda esta gente solo tengo algo que decir... "No sean idiotas. En este juego Dante y Vergil son jovenes, son imprudentes, son idiotas, son inmaduros. Ambos tienen que aprender y mejorar. Muy posiblemente por no decir SEGURO, si la gente no hubiera sido tan llorona, habrian sacado DMC 2 y este juego sería un par de años despues, con la personalidad de dante carismático y vergil serio. Los personajes tienen que crecer, pues DMC muestra devil may cry desde sus inicios":
  17. Aug 2, 2013
    Wielu zamartwiało się nad odnowieniem tak popularnej serii hack'n slashów. Twórcy podeszli do tego porządnie, i sprostali zadaniu jak najlepiej mogli. Piękna grafika, wciągająca fabuła i straasznie przyjemna grywalność pozwala mi mówić o jak na razie najlepszej grze roku. Twórcy jak najbardziej rozbudowali DmC. Dali wiele broni, wiele rodzajów przeciwników jak i wiele ciekawych miejscówek.Wielu zamartwiało się nad odnowieniem tak popularnej serii hack'n slashów. Twórcy podeszli do tego porządnie, i sprostali zadaniu jak najlepiej mogli. Piękna grafika, wciągająca fabuła i straasznie przyjemna grywalność pozwala mi mówić o jak na razie najlepszej grze roku. Twórcy jak najbardziej rozbudowali DmC. Dali wiele broni, wiele rodzajów przeciwników jak i wiele ciekawych miejscówek. Przy tej grze po prostu nie da się nudzić. Tak jakby, bo końcówkę gry twórcy strasznie przedłużali i nie zaskakiwali pomysłami. Gra ma do tego mniejsze wady. Pewne tekstury nie wyglądają na dopracowane, jednak nie przeszkadza to cieszyć się z tej świetnej gry. Jak na razie, gra roku. Moja ocena 9/10 Expand
  18. Jun 6, 2015
    It's an interesting position to be in to be able to judge a reboot of a much-loved game franchise with no knowledge of the games which came before. Such is the case with me and the enigma that is DmC: Devil may Cry. Strange naming aside, this game, despite being much maligned by the Devil May Cry fanbase, is, from a totally objective viewpoint such as mine, still worth a play.

The

The game's plot reads like Conspiracy theory nine billion and seven - The world has been secretly infiltrated by demons, and a small resistance made up of anti-hero playable character Dante, talented psychic Kat and charismatic leader Vergil is fighting to try and free humanity from their iron-fisted, secret power. The corny underlying plot, however, is tempered slightly by the twists and turns that occur during the plotline, so whilst it may have a bland initial taste it's an alright plot, and definitely not the worst.

The main character, as stated before, is Dante, who starts off as an unlikeable anti-hero but as ther game progresses, he begins to see the importance of his actions, to realise what is at stake if he is to fail - though his desire for justice also has a noticeable streak of revenge running through it. Overall though, he's an interesting character, and the only other gripe I have about him is that his voice acting is somewhat subpar, especially when he's shouting.

What flaws there are are made up fror in the gameplay. At its core it's your typical hack n' slash fare, you have a large, bladed weapon, you can kill enemies with it, and like any good hack & slash it's very, very fun - though this game spices it up a bit by throwing in Ebony and Ivory, a pair of pistols which Dante can use to juggle enemies in the air and hit far-off foes. As you progress through the game Dante also unlocks new weapons, such as Arbiter, a massive demonic axe, Aquila, a pair of glaives, and Revenant, a powerful shotgun. These weapons allow for more interesting gameplay by allowing one to juggle multiple weapons tactically to finish off enemies effectively, making the gameplay all the more fun, and as it is with most hack and slashes, it's really fun to hack and slash the living daylights out of many enemies at a time.

In summary, in spite of its shortcomings, DmC: Devil may Cry is a good game for its genre. With a slightly-cheesy, yet interesting plot, believable characters and gameplay which builds a bit on the classic hack n' slash formula, it's definitely worth a play, even if you HAVE played a DmC game before.
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    It's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visualsIt's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visuals and creative level designs, it's still a good game. Expand
  20. Nov 29, 2016
    WOW... Just WOW...

- A great Casual game
    - Epic Boss fights (Baby and News Guy)
    - Excellent use of button mappings
    - Plenty of weapons

This game is just a mindless hack and slash romp with a terrific story. It could of used a better weapon upgrade system and maybe a few puzzles....

If your a casual gamer like me you will enjoy this immensely... I only wish more games were like this.
  21. Mar 23, 2013
    I was first introduced to the Devil May Cry word with DMC 4. I enjoyed it somewhat, but I found that the game had a lot of padding. Pointless challenges that did nothing but extend the length of the game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a much slicker, streamlined affair that concentrates more on stylish swordplay than trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do next. That's not to sayI was first introduced to the Devil May Cry word with DMC 4. I enjoyed it somewhat, but I found that the game had a lot of padding. Pointless challenges that did nothing but extend the length of the game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a much slicker, streamlined affair that concentrates more on stylish swordplay than trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do next. That's not to say that there no elements of exploration in the latest game, but they do not get in the way of the hacking and slashing.,
    I must admit I didn't care much for the original Dante so the introduction of the new Dante did not phase me in the slightest. Great graphics that perform extremely well even on low end hardware, great fun with swords and excellent level design.
    The low scores you see all over the place reflect the game fan's disappointment with the main character being changed. That's fair enough. But as a game, it's hard not to say it's great.
  22. Jun 28, 2015
    Most amazing game of the series and sure 1 of my favorites.
    Music is finally new, and not repetitive, stuck well with the game.
    Game play is much more easy, you can make easier combos, and have all the weapons.
    Graphics are outstanding.

And finally it is the first DmC that has scenario.
  23. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  24. Jan 25, 2013
    New DmC is very dynamics, very interesting and very clever game. It has breathtaking gameplay, enthralling story. I think. that "fans" of previous games about Dante is very wrong. They think, if developers changed skin of Dante and game design then game will be very bad and not intersting. Do not believe them. It very good slasher. On this moment, it is the best game of this winter.
  25. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMCI've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  26. Feb 17, 2013
    A pretty good game with few downsides. The first thing people notice is the reboot has changed a lot of things. First there is the new Dante, who is far inferior to the original Dante both visually and as a character, as he appears as a generic guy with very little appeal as a character. Same goes for Vergil and Kat. The story is nothing special, but it does it's part in this type of game.A pretty good game with few downsides. The first thing people notice is the reboot has changed a lot of things. First there is the new Dante, who is far inferior to the original Dante both visually and as a character, as he appears as a generic guy with very little appeal as a character. Same goes for Vergil and Kat. The story is nothing special, but it does it's part in this type of game. Graphics are nothing spectacular technically, but it gives the game nice visuals combined with the twisted environments of the Limbo. Gameplay is simpler than the previous DMC games, but it is still a lot of fun. The color-coded weapon and enemy system is a bit juvenile and rather than increasing the difficulty by making some enemies immune to certain weapons, it's more likely to be irritating. Lastly, the game is a very good port with extensive options and works great with a keyboard. Expand
  27. Feb 22, 2013
    The gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was prettyThe gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was pretty good. People who are complaining about this game either never played it or want to hate it just because it's different. Expand
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    This is an awesome game.
    Great music,intense action,beautiful graphics,and it is well optimized.(Even on my p4 3.0ghz CPU runs it mostly well.
    IF you like slashing demons,and want something really new,try this.
    DmC has a nice replayability factor too with collectables and many difficulity mode.
    This is a must-have game for everyone,even if you didn't like the older ones.
  29. Dec 2, 2017
    I've never played previous dmc, but now I think I can try, because, this game is really good. The plot is really weak, main hero(Dante) was annoying. Combat system is good, and some of bosses are amazing. Many people say that the soundtrack is the best part of the game, i understand, that, but for me the really best part of the game is level design, locations on this game are beautiful.I've never played previous dmc, but now I think I can try, because, this game is really good. The plot is really weak, main hero(Dante) was annoying. Combat system is good, and some of bosses are amazing. Many people say that the soundtrack is the best part of the game, i understand, that, but for me the really best part of the game is level design, locations on this game are beautiful. Worth to play. Expand
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    Visceral, creative, well-written, fun. These are four aspects that instantly spring to mind when thinking of DMC. This game just reeks of high production values and ensures there is never a dull moment. A thoroughly enjoyable experience for action fans. Highly recommended.
  31. Feb 5, 2013
    This is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that isThis is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that is downright unreasonable. This is a reboot of the series made by a new developer, so QUIT GIVING IT ONES AND ZEROES. Moving on. The first thing I noticed is that this is an excellent PC port. While I played DmC 3 and 4 on their respective consoles due to the general crappiness of the ports, I played DmC on my computer and loved it. The graphics were astounding with the HD upgrades, and the combat was butter smooth at 90 FPS. The second thing I noticed was the voice acting. As much as I love the previous installments in the series, the voice acting has always been downright awful, and this change was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The third thing I noticed was that the combat was FUN, unlike what so many users will have you think. Sure, it's missing the style system and the Stylish Rank gauge has been declawed, but the combat is fast, fluid, and completely worthy of any previous DmC title. Sound, visual, and enemy design is perfect, without an iota of overstatement. Limbo is a thrilling, diverse, and visually stunning setting, and the level design reflects that with each group of levels taking you to a new and shockingly unique setting. The enemy design is delightfully dark, featuring everything from weak, shambling biomechanical nightmares to demonic ninjas with masks sewn to their heads. As a fan of the New Phyrexia set from Magic: The Gathering, I just loved *looking* at the bad guys. In terms of sound, each weapon has a unique and entirely satisfying battery of noises, from the classic 'swoosh, schwing' of Rebellion to the ethereal roar of Osiris, and all this is backed up by music that is an awesome fusion of pulsing electronic and hardcore metal. Overall, as a fan of Devil May Cry, as a fan of action games, and as a PC gamer, I've got to say that DmC: Devil May Cry is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. It lacks some of the combat depth and brutal difficulty showcased by its predecessors, and the inability to manually lock on is a genuine frustration at times, but the impossibly high development values and bursting package of thrilling, new visual ideas and epic boss fights more than makes up for the shortcomings. If you're a PC gamer and a fan of spectacle fighters, a genre woefully underrepresented on PC, then it'd be a crime not to pick this game up. Expand
  32. Aug 23, 2013
    Inconsistent is the best word I can use to describe this game. The level and art design for some missions are amazing (night club, news tower), and then others are kind of bland (mundus's tower, succubus's lair). The story is all right, but the villain isn't really written well. I'll give some pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the

PROS:

1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the levels in limbo reminds me of Alice madness returns which I also loved.

2. Combat. I loved the different weapons and combos you can come up with, but the list of combos isn't really that long compared to games like bayonetta or god of war. If you are playing on pc, I recommend the controller because the keyboard layout can get quite confusing.

3. Art/Level design. The levels, for the most part, are designed well and will keep your attention throughout your playtime. Night club and the news tower are a must to experience.

CONS:

1. Game is short beat it in 7.5 hours. It's fine if you are paying 20 bucks, but anything more and you start to feel ripped off.

2. Bosses are pretty easy and the final ones leave a lot to be desired. They looked great, but their mechanics were very simplistic and Ninja theory held your hand during the fight.

3. Inconsistent storytelling. At times the missions are written well, but the 2nd half of the game feels rushed and forced.

All in all, the game is worth a rental but because of its short length. I'm not into score submissions or replaying levels to be on top of an online leaderboard either. A 7 or 8 is more realistic score for this game.
  33. Apr 8, 2013
    Just because of a change in style does not make a game bad. Dmc is a very fun game, it really engages you trying to keep that combo and making your fights stylish. Dante carries a very wide range of weapons, each with their own unique abilities. I also like how some enemies are vulnerable to only certain abilities, making you have to switch. The story feels much more creative and uniqueJust because of a change in style does not make a game bad. Dmc is a very fun game, it really engages you trying to keep that combo and making your fights stylish. Dante carries a very wide range of weapons, each with their own unique abilities. I also like how some enemies are vulnerable to only certain abilities, making you have to switch. The story feels much more creative and unique than the previous devil may cry games. Camera controls feel less quirky than in Dmc 4.
    I would like to see some harder difficulty levels though. DmC would be better than the previous dmcs if it could match its difficulty level, which made the previous versions very intense.
  34. Feb 20, 2013
    Un juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los hatersUn juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los haters cambien de opinión y dejen de pendejadas con el nuevo dante.. Expand
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    Very nice and much better than previous games about white onime!11 Dante!!! I'm only sad about new Vergil, but other stuff is freaking awesome
    A must-buy game for any fan
  36. Feb 9, 2013
    This game is not bad enough to deserve a 0. Yes, it's been dumbed down to obtain a larger audience, but so is everything. Blame the world for being dumber, not the developers for trying to sell their game.
    Combat is not horrible, altough I do miss the lock-on target; and the fact that pretty much every single attack hits multiple enemies makes most of the fights too easy.
    I've never
    I've never cared much for stories in videogames (if I wanna watch a B movie, I'll watch a B movie) so I dont appreciate the abuse of unskippable cutscenes in the middle of a supposedly fast paced action game. Visuals were pretty good even if the level design was poor (just a linear corridor, using a grappling whip every once in a while doesnt change anything), and I think thats it. Better than DmC 4, worse than DmC 3, a 6 is a fair score.
  37. Sep 11, 2013
    Having an unbiased opinion, (I have never paid attention to the previous Devil May Cry Games in any way) I can say that DmC is an amazingly fun game. It's fast-paced, looks fantastic and has an awesome atmosphere, owed to by it's great soundtrack. The combat is designed well and allows any amateur with enough brain cells to slash through the demonic horde, but more fiendish difficultiesHaving an unbiased opinion, (I have never paid attention to the previous Devil May Cry Games in any way) I can say that DmC is an amazingly fun game. It's fast-paced, looks fantastic and has an awesome atmosphere, owed to by it's great soundtrack. The combat is designed well and allows any amateur with enough brain cells to slash through the demonic horde, but more fiendish difficulties and a mind-boggling combo system will keep veterans playing and improving for months. The story is also quality. Coherent and refreshingly simple. The only flaw of this game is that a couple of boss fights feel rushed and stuck together with jam, but the rest are memorable occasions. Overall a great action game for all action game fans. Expand
  38. Feb 20, 2013
    What can i say: just freaking awesome game after 8 hours i finally finished and it was worth every minute spent on it. Pros 1. PC Port 10/10 there are no camera problems, you can change your controls, graphics, everything you need just to enjoy the game 2.Graphics i was really impressed by how the game looks and performs,
  39. Mar 3, 2013
    When I saw the new Dante, I was hating the game before it game out. Beeing bored I decided to buy it, expecting nothing from it, however, I was amazed by how good it is. For those who still have doubt, you can play Dante with white Hair aswell, in fact (little spoiler) at the end his normal hair becomes white aswell. As for him beeing an emo, not true, dont listen to the haters, try itWhen I saw the new Dante, I was hating the game before it game out. Beeing bored I decided to buy it, expecting nothing from it, however, I was amazed by how good it is. For those who still have doubt, you can play Dante with white Hair aswell, in fact (little spoiler) at the end his normal hair becomes white aswell. As for him beeing an emo, not true, dont listen to the haters, try it out, for me it was the best DMC so far. Expand
  40. Aug 17, 2013
    Played all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparentPlayed all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparent that it was a console port. The controls felt a bit less-than-intuitive and unresponsive at times; even by the end of the game you might find yourself fumbling here and there, but overall the combat was very fun, if not a bit frustrating at times.

The story is has excellent pacing and actually pretty interesting. It will, at the very least, keep you playing until the end. I blasted through the game in a day. The soundtrack is perfect for the game and I have nothing to complain about, it does well to get your adrenaline going. However, I can't give enough praise about the dialogue, voice acting, and well-done character modeling. The script is so refreshing in its creative absurdness. (ex: Dante: "FU!" Baddie: "FU!" Dante: "No, FU!!"). It never felt contrived and I can't tell you how many games I've played where the dialogue is so straight-up predictable and monotone too the point where all I hear is "blah blah blah". You can tell the crew and voice actors really had fun with it.

Overall, a solid game with some flaws (camera, controls), but easily holds it's own in the series.
  41. Jan 16, 2014
    The haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find waysThe haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find ways to make limbo odd, creepy, and even scary in some sections. All with tons of great combat, something they genuinely knocked out of the park.

Only complaint is minor, and that is the little jokes Dante has which do get a bit excessive. Still super minor, the game is fantastic and I hope they keep making them because the fan hate this one got was misplaced. Tons of these negative reviewers NEVER even played the game. They just saw his hair color and hated on it immediately. It is a shame.
  42. Feb 19, 2013
    Excellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of theExcellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of the original series and pushing it in smart, often surprising, directions. Story is fine, quite funny in parts, and generally well directed and acted. The action is smooth, controls are tight, and the combat is easy to learn and hard to master. I can not fathom how the user score is below an eight for this game (oh wait, this is Metacritic, where people spam 0's for games that offend their delicate sensibilities.) This game is a blast to play, and maybe the best Capcom game since Dead Rising.

This game performs wonderfully, never dropping below 60 fps 1920x1080 at maximum settings on a three year old PC.

A special note on replayability: The game has multiple extremely difficult challenge modes that are unlocked after completing the game. People who claim this game is dumbed down and easier than the old series doing know what they're talking about. When I see a video of these people beating the hardest difficulty, I will become a believer in their cause.
  43. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  44. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the bestThe game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the best I've seen in my opinion, resembles the one from heavenly sword, too bad so few games similar to this one are released on the PC.

CAUTION: game is totally unplayabe with the Mouse/Keyboard.
  45. May 23, 2014
    I really had some serious doubts this game would be good enough. I have played dmc 1,3 and 4. This game might look a little bit easternish compered to other anime style japanese ones. But it definetly deserves the attention dmc 5 would have.

+ beautiful visuals + epic soundtrack and voice acting. + optimised and fluid gameplay. - a little bit easier than older games but it might

+ beautiful visuals
    + epic soundtrack and voice acting.
    + optimised and fluid gameplay.

- a little bit easier than older games but it might be because of my awesome skills got better and better in time :)
  46. Aug 27, 2014
    Capcom´s DMC: Devil May Cry consists of balanced elements which make this masterpiece awesome game experience. Enjoy both perfect gameplay, locations design, story, soundtrack and dubbing. It is worthwile to spend money for this adventure with wonderful story, very good gradation and surprising reversal in the end. Enjoy it...
  47. Jan 31, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. GoodI really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. Good job, Ninja Theory. Expand
  48. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is great. I feel bad that I have never played a Devil May Cry game before, but I feel it's helpful to give an opinion as a newcomer to the series. This reboot is a completely new universe with whatever gameplay/story changes they see fit. So when I heard that was the case, I was interested. I picked this game up on release for 49.99, which for Australia is pretty god damn cheap.This game is great. I feel bad that I have never played a Devil May Cry game before, but I feel it's helpful to give an opinion as a newcomer to the series. This reboot is a completely new universe with whatever gameplay/story changes they see fit. So when I heard that was the case, I was interested. I picked this game up on release for 49.99, which for Australia is pretty god damn cheap. I was immediately hooked by the general atmosphere. The way it blends the music with the gameplay gives it a really bad-ass intense feel, and the visual are not only stunning on max pc settings, but are also colorful and are play an important role when telling the story. You play as Dante (Like the previous games.) The story mainly revolves around him and his journey towards helping the human race and generally growing as a person. He is half demon and half angel and works with his twin brother and a human girl to overthrow the demons control over the human race. I think the gameplay is the strongest area of the game. You will not get tired of stringing together combos. As soon as you get the feeling of wanting a new toy to play with, the game gives it to you. Great pacing. It knows player. As I said before everything balances into one incredibly polished action/adventure spamfest and it's great. It doesn't set new ground for the genre, but it's an absolute joy to play and I respect the developers. I think this is best played on PC, the game runs amazingly, although I would recommend a controller plugged in though.

49. Feb 12, 2013
    Okay, first of all: I DONT LIKE THE NEW DANTE, they made him such a jackass Anyway im sick of these 1 out of 10 rates from the community, you guys really dont know what a 1 out of 10 game looks like....

The graphics are fine for me, gameplay is smooth, easy and fun, the story is well...... not that bad.

Hardcore DMC fans probably hate this reboot
  50. Jun 3, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is a third person action game with some pretty art design and a good story. The game is very stylish and the characters are very interesting. Combat is great with lots of variation in weapons and combos and enemies are fun to fight and bosses are even better. The platforming is very smooth and responsive most of the time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone whoDmC: Devil May Cry is a third person action game with some pretty art design and a good story. The game is very stylish and the characters are very interesting. Combat is great with lots of variation in weapons and combos and enemies are fun to fight and bosses are even better. The platforming is very smooth and responsive most of the time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is look for a stylish new action platformer game with a good story. Expand
  51. Feb 1, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much!First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much! Dante must be waaay over the top, he must be more badass than the word badass and last but not least he must have white hair. Pls don't break these rules ever again!
    Now some final kind words:
    The music is the best the franchise had so far, it looks SO good and is really really fluid. Well done Ninja Theory! (but pls leave the main char in tact next time)
  52. Jun 11, 2013
    "Oh they changed his hair" grow up fanboys! Seriously, why do so many people hate this game, it doesnt even matter if its this much fun!!! YAAAAAAY! 10/10
  53. Apr 18, 2017
    Such a glorious deconstruction of stale overrated franchise for tasteless weaboos! Magnificent masterpiece, filled with charisma, self-irony, furious action, gorgeous art-direction and splendid level design. A stunningly beautiful piece of art where every detail is on its place, a majestic canvas where every stroke has its meaning. Game-parable. Game-revelation.
    Bye-bye, silver-haired
    Bye-bye, silver-haired anime boy. There's new sheriff in Limbo Town and he has a message for you:

7 out of 7: not for average mind.
  54. Nov 2, 2015
    I was a fan of the original series.. well - 1st and 3rd (2 sucked and 4 was pretty mediocre), and I didn't expect much of this reboot, but i was quite impressed! It's very well made - the art direction is great, combat flows quite nicely, and the story is well told. (Note - i played with a controller, so I can't speak for m&k). Switching between weapons was so easy, it's rare that II was a fan of the original series.. well - 1st and 3rd (2 sucked and 4 was pretty mediocre), and I didn't expect much of this reboot, but i was quite impressed! It's very well made - the art direction is great, combat flows quite nicely, and the story is well told. (Note - i played with a controller, so I can't speak for m&k). Switching between weapons was so easy, it's rare that I actually explore (and spend time with) all the available weapons in a game, but in this one i definitely did. Overall - great visuals, good soundtrack, and awesome absolutely not-bland characters, (well, except for maybe Kat 'cause she was such a stereotypical whatever, but everyone else was great!). I've been through a number of games of this genre in the last several years - including all the God of Wars, and Dark Siders, and to me DMC beats all of them hands down. I still go back and show the cutscenes to my friends because they are so well made. And my advice to anyone playing it - finish the game before you judge it! I know the game is too easy for some on that entry difficulty, but there are more modes that open up after you finish, including that one where you die in one hit, so i promise it gets more fun! Expand
  55. Apr 12, 2013
    I must admit that this Game is pretty damn EASY, so much easier than the 3rd and 4th. I got no problem beat the Dante Must Die mode just using 5 items and got SSS rank in every level in first try (eventhough i'm not a good DmC player), because the enemies behavior are so predictable compared to the 3rd and 4th (I got nightmare when play those two in DMD mode). By the way, This still anI must admit that this Game is pretty damn EASY, so much easier than the 3rd and 4th. I got no problem beat the Dante Must Die mode just using 5 items and got SSS rank in every level in first try (eventhough i'm not a good DmC player), because the enemies behavior are so predictable compared to the 3rd and 4th (I got nightmare when play those two in DMD mode). By the way, This still an Awesome game with great graphic and gameplay (story not good for me, like the 3rd better), and it's easier make it's a game for everyone who don't like hardcore. Expand
  56. Jul 10, 2016
    This is the best Slasher of 2013. Best gameplay of the series and fantastic
    atmosphere. One big minus is a characters and story, but story was never best side of the franchise.
  57. Sep 22, 2014
    The game does not deserve all the fanboy hate it receives.

The level design in this game is insane. I've never see anything quite like it. The story is also, surprisingly, very good, with characters that actually feel like real people. Dante is cocky with a **** you' attitude at first, but rapidly grows a conscience and begins to truly care for the fate of mankind and his friends. A
    The game does not deserve all the fanboy hate it receives.

The level design in this game is insane. I've never see anything quite like it.

The story is also, surprisingly, very good, with characters that actually feel like real people. Dante is cocky with a **** you' attitude at first, but rapidly grows a conscience and begins to truly care for the fate of mankind and his friends. A lot of people hate him, but I personally found him very likeable.

There are issues with the game however, but only when compared with past DMC games. The combat is far more simplistic with less weapons to choose from and the levels, though designed spectacularly, are far more linear and do not reward exploration quite as much as past titles in the series. This pissed a lot of people off, understandably. They aren't things that bothered me too much though, so I actually enjoyed the game a great deal.

A real shame it sold so poorly and received so much hate from the fanbase. It truly was a high quality product with a great story. I would love to see a sequel, but it seems unlikely now.
  58. Jan 27, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this game, i was skeptical at first because of Dante's new look and the staleness of the franchise. The moves and combo abilities are easy to understand are great to pull off. If you don't buy it new, i would recommend it a must have when the price comes down.
  59. Feb 6, 2013
    Playing this new DMC with the new character was not a bad experience at all and who ever say it has nothing to do with previous DMCs my answer is WRONG
    because the action is there the graphics are amazing the story Please note that Playing DMC on a higher difficulty make the game more interesting .
    for me its the Kick ass hell of an action game 2013.so far.
  60. Apr 30, 2013
    the game fighting animation is stunning, nice combat moves but you really need to practice a lot to do the awesome combos especially when you keep switching weapons. if you master the moves you will enjoy owning whoever attacks you
  61. Jan 28, 2014
    Seems like the original DmC franchise has one of the worst fanbases in the history of gaming, Even Call of Duty never gets that much hate for changing.
    DmC Devil May Cry is a console hack and slash with a story based on a concept you've probably heard before, but not in a video game, great but a bit simpler then the previous DmC games combat, making the game more accessible to newbies, with its biggest flaw being some enemies that can only be killed with specific weapons. Theres enough moves and weapons to keep the variety interesting and restricting how you can deal with enemies isn't really a good thing, but didn't ruined my experience with the game. The combat also feels better, Dante and his weapons now have weight to them, while the previous games didn't felt satisfying enough for me.
    The platforming is great, fast and doesn't changes the pace of the overall game, much better then the previous games.
    The game is also one of the best looking games out there, gorgeous environments, perfect example of aesthetics over graphics. And its the only actually good PC port, works great with mouse and keyboard.
    Out of all console style 3D hack n slash games I've played so far, this has to be one of the few I truly enjoyed. Don't listen to the retarded fanboys, this game is maybe simpler in combat mechanics, but its still a great game!
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    This is not a bad game, for god's sake its a reboot of the series, an alternate reality to the old games, you can't downrate the entire game just because the protagonist looks different, most of you need to stop throwing tantrums, and rate the game properly, no way in hell does this deserve the low rating shown here, have you played a game a game that really deserves a 0's and 1's? itsThis is not a bad game, for god's sake its a reboot of the series, an alternate reality to the old games, you can't downrate the entire game just because the protagonist looks different, most of you need to stop throwing tantrums, and rate the game properly, no way in hell does this deserve the low rating shown here, have you played a game a game that really deserves a 0's and 1's? its obviously not this. besides Capcom were done making DmC games, you wouldn't have seen another game if it weren't for Ninja Theory taking it on, and i think they did a great job, the visuals are spectacular, the performance is great, the story isn't bad either, at least the turnout was great compared what happend with the Silent Hill games when Konami stopped developing them. Expand
  63. Feb 1, 2013
    first off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praisesfirst off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praises aside, the storyline is pretty weak and the script is kind of cheezy at times. However, the gameplay and art design definitely makes up for it and i do recommend checking this game out. Also, think twice before hitting the unhelpful button. Expand
  64. Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, most of DMC fans can just say few things about this game. New Dante looks stupid and this reboot of the franchise is the most lame idea Capcom has ever come up with.They are all right, that is quite a valid point they have for this game. However, the question i wanna ask is: Is that really a reason to give this game a 0/10 or 1/10? I will go with no. The game would deserve that scoreYes, most of DMC fans can just say few things about this game. New Dante looks stupid and this reboot of the franchise is the most lame idea Capcom has ever come up with.They are all right, that is quite a valid point they have for this game. However, the question i wanna ask is: Is that really a reason to give this game a 0/10 or 1/10? I will go with no. The game would deserve that score if it was buggy, unfinished, and unplayable.But, apparently, we are all so pissed at this game when we saw trailer that we have forgotten what's really important about game franchise. The gameplay. Again, the fact that we are not seeing the Dante we all liked anymore, but instead we are seeing a bit of a jackass Dante, still stands, but one thing that saved this game from sucking is gameplay. I will go as far to say that it is way better than on previous Devil may cry games. One thing i will start with is the control. In this game, in addition to keyboard, you use mouse. Which also means that you use mouse for attacks and camera control. That's right, the one who controls the camera is YOU.You don't have those annoying camera transitions that you had in previous games, which was really disturbing when you are moving a character(You do have that in this game aswell, but it's really rare).As for fighting, Dante here moves more fluidly than he was before, and you have this feeling like he is more responsive.What you will also notice is that you do not have styles here anymore, so you are not limited to only one type of attacks. What you do have here is two mode of attacks. Blue mode and Red mode. They are not called that actually, but i will go with those names for the sake of avoiding spoilers.As you had in previous games, Dante will receive some new weapons throughout the missions which are divide by these two modes. You will find all those weapons so usefull, that you will bearly have any need for the use of guns.Still, there are also some things that i don't like(beside the reboot fact).One thing i don't like is that you do not have a lock-on.It's automatic, so you will find that a bit annoying.Another thing you might disslike, is the fighting style ranking. Basically, in this game, you will get S-ranks like a candy. Even if you are not trying to get the S-rank, you will still get it with ease.In previous game, the ranks rapidly increased when you have quite of a fighting style, but when you are doing nothing it rapidly decreases.Here, there is no decrease. The only way your rank is gonna get decreased is if you get damaged, which can be easily avoided.These are some things i didn't like in this game, but i would be a horrible lier if i said that i didn't enjoy this game. So this is my reason for giving this game a high score despite the reboot fact. I am still a bit disappointed that this isn't Devil may cry 5 we are reviewing, but there are some quite of bright side of this games aswell. Expand
  65. Apr 4, 2017
    Don't believe the hate.

Don't believe the hate.

I fell in love with the DMC franchise the moment I saw a preview for it in an EB store, back in 2001. Badass, was not an adequate word for it. Loved the franchise ever since. Then I heard about the reboot and heard all about the controversy and the middle finger ninja theory gave to the fans with the white wig "never in a million years" insult. And decided not to play it. Got dmc in a bundle and decided to play it. I was missing out. This game is pretty awesome. The combat is fun and varied. The environments and visuals are great. And the new dante, is immaturely hilarious. The story is meh, but its alright. I think had ninja theory not pissed off the fans, this game would done and been received much better.
  66. Aug 20, 2015
    As a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise I was excited with the existence of this new game, it didn't upset me at all the new look they gave Dante, people blame the developers for the idea but it was actually a strategy from Capcom to add more western followers to the franchise. Dante lost his signature hair but he still has the same flair, he may be a little bit more cocky and childishAs a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise I was excited with the existence of this new game, it didn't upset me at all the new look they gave Dante, people blame the developers for the idea but it was actually a strategy from Capcom to add more western followers to the franchise. Dante lost his signature hair but he still has the same flair, he may be a little bit more cocky and childish than in the original but it is suppose to symbolise his young age.
    The story is in a different universe from the originals, i's in a world were nobody realises the existance of demons. This world is controlled by the "demon king" Mundos, that was betrayed by Sparda, Dante's father. Mundo is determined to kill Dante for his father's betrayal and the story is focused around Dante and Vergil (Dante's brother who is the leader of a secret organization that tries to warn people of the existance of demons), they join forces to bring Mundos down.
    As for characters, most of them are interesting excluding the over focus on Kat who's Vergil's assistance and a human, she's not that interesting.
    The voice acting is definetly better than the originals and deserves props on that.
    The story is immersive and interesting and very creative and thought provoking.
    The game does have truly amazing graphics for the time it was released on, the level designs are amazing and new and do make the platforming much more interesting.
    Now the gameplay, which is were this game truly shines, it's in my opinion better than the originals and very fluid and fast, there are tons of combos and weapons so the game feels fresh every time you play it, it´s definetly very addicting and while the rating of the combos is a little bit broken and the is a lack of a lock on system it's very good. The boss battles are truly amazing and aren't monotone. The game even has an option to accelerate the speed by 20%.
    With this you have tons of replayhability, the game has lots of additional difficulties and veterans surely have their agenda scheduled for this. It also has extra missions and challenges that while not very interesting don't hurt to play. The dlc of Vergil's Downfall is kind of a continuation of the story and is also worth playing.
    This game delivers the true DmC experience that we were missing, the game is a blast to play and I recommend it to every Hack and Slash fan.
  67. Feb 18, 2013
    "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liggggggggggghttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes the writing in this Devil May Cry game might just be some of the best, the new Dante is pretty subjective but personally I think he looks kinda cool and his snarky attitude is amusing. Pretty much like someone of that age can be. The PC version is probably the better version due to

The PC version is probably the better version due to uncapped frame rates and things, the sound track is good if you are into that kind of music. Level design in the visual sense is amazing. Judged on its own merits its a pretty good game, players into hardcore 3rd person spectacle fighters might not enjoy it so much as the combat is simplified compared to others.

Most of the people complaining are upset that its not a direct sequel, nothing wrong with that but it has reached the stage where its become people throwing their toys out of their pram.
  68. Jan 27, 2013
    The game has all that an action game needs: Rewarding gameplay with plenty of combo possibilities, good visuals (both in quality and aesthetics) and a soundtrack that flows perfectly with what's happening on the screen.
    The story is above the average of this genre I'd say. The personality and occasional puns of Dante fit very well and don't make him a douchebag, I don't know where a lot of people get that from... just as the complains about the difficulty. If you are a pro, don't take one of the first 2 difficulties. Oh, and finishing the game unlocks several even harder modes, so there should be enough for everyone.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely come back to it at a later time, which I don't do with a lot of singleplayer games.
  69. Jan 30, 2013
    Note:
    The easy-combat-rank-fill which was a main point of protest from old DMC-Fans, as well as several severe (sound) bugs got patched on January 30th (at least for computer).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was scared. When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it
    Note:

I was scared.
    When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it even be worse than that DMC4 cash-in?
    Dante appeared to be a big, overgrown show-off kid.
    So, I didn't put my hopes up to high when I picked up DMC.

I started the game and - like many other old-fashioned DMC fans I **** my nose when I first experienced the new combat system.

BUT:
    I kept cool and decided to try the game before condemning it - in the end DMC really surprised me in a positive way.

The combat system:
    While I always did love love the style system - this new kind of combat really kicks nuts once you get a hang on it.
    The weaponswitching has never been as fluent before.
    While it is true - early missions don't require a lot of special moves - the new system allows you to make combat an art.
    Weapons really complement each other. Especially AoE-air fight got a serious improvement.

Dante:
    While I didn't like his concept back at the E3 presentation, the final release really did please me.
    He is young, he is unexperienced - but he has big mouth and the self confidence we're used to know from old Dante.
    He kindly lacks the humor we all used to love, but he definitely is "a type".

The Story:
    We get to know about Dante's and Vergil's past, their youth and we experience how Dante is forced into the demonkiller-role.
    I don't wanna spoil anything here, so I'll hint on the setting; the developers took the main idea from and old Movie "They live!" (1988) : A world that is not what it looks like only a few have the chance, well rather the possibilities to see through the Veil society and norms blur the realty with. I'm no fan of that romantic marxistic idea to fight the "bad capitalism", but DMCs developers really had the balls to make this philosophic and critical game.

The design:
    I really don't understand how some people can cry about the look, I set everything to ultra and it looks great on my 42″ TV.
    Especially the Nimbus (demon-world) is an eye catcher.
    Dang! I couldn't get my chin back up when I first saw the walls implode in front of me, trying to catch 'n squash me.

Music:
    As good as in any DMC.

Bottomline:
    Taking all these things into account I'm giving DMC 10/10.
    People who hate this game do hate it because the want to hate it.
    The new Dante lacks humor, yes but people continuously forget - this is young Dante who's new to the business, not the relaxed old top dog who's feeling completely invincible.
    The story is great, so is 2 world-concept.
    The visuals really fit the mood, as does the sound.

With the latest patch DMCs only real flaws (too easy to achieve combo scores) and some (sound) bugs have been removed, leaving it a game I really can recommend to new players as well old DMC fans.
  70. Feb 7, 2013
    This game refused to let me go, until I've killed the final boss. 10 of 10 just for that.
  71. Apr 25, 2013
    Well unfortunately some people didn't like the new ideas of the new DMC but the gameplay was awesome, the story didn't excelled in anything but it was eatable.
    Overall it is a great game that it is worth playing and i enjoyed it very much because this is what games truly serve us!
    Also glad a game like this could be so great since we are on a era of shooters were ''bang-bang is everything''
  72. Aug 8, 2013
    Its a fantastic game.
    Its intelligent, exciting, funny, with incredibly artistic dsign, but just better watch some gameplay to see it by yourself Im not really good at writing reviews
    Nevermind the absurd fanboysm crying, I cant understand all tha hate towards this game, Its a shame because this game is amazing. this game is a piece of art Its beautiful.
  73. Aug 14, 2017
    it's a good hack n' slash game with a good story. As someone who played the original DMCs, I say this is a awesome direction to reboot series. Excellent.
  74. Mar 18, 2018
    finish the game this morning and i have to do this review.
    i played atleast all DMC games but never finish 1 and 2 since its been age.i might reconsider it but thats not the point here.DmC or Devil may Cry Reboot is not a bad counterpart to the series.its good?its bad then? no its just decent and way shorter to any DMC qualities.
    the combat in this game is a charm.i would love to see
    finish the game this morning and i have to do this review.

the combat in this game is a charm.i would love to see another game uses the same combat and combo mechanism.weapons plays like the original DMC games.similar moveset with a little revamp.

the graphic is ok.hate that almost everything in this game has reflections.

the new dante is not as bad as anyone can imagine.he was annoying at first but play the whole game and you'll find out his inner behavior.he is not a badass looking like the dante we've cared for years but this dude has a potential.give him a chance.seriously but the vergil here is a big mistake and i wont tell you why.

the only mistake i can only see here is the series is not ready to be rebooted yet.it might a sure go to gamer if its a new ip but its already happend.shame

overall this game is amazing.
    i've honestly watch AngryJoe's review on this game.but even he pointed every mistake on this game.
    that doesn't stop me to try and judge the game myself.the PC is well optimize game aswell!even old potato setup can run the game atleast at 720p with zero issue.

Final score will be 9.
    give it a shot and judge yourself.
  75. Jan 29, 2013
    I played dmc 1-4 and now this reboot. Dmc 2 is the only one that I didn't get near the end. That said I can said 100% that this game is a good game. It isn't the best in the series but it is certainly a welcome addition. I can safely say that DMC is at the very least better than dmc 2. The PC ran so wonderfully that alone it got high marks. The things I liked
    The settings - ok sure it was
    The settings - ok sure it was very strange plot line but come on so is any japanese game. This game is through and through british while the other dmcs was japanese/japanese view of western view on heaven, hell etc...
    combat was smooth camera wasn't annoying
    I never felt lost unlike the other games.
    Very little puzzles compare to other games
    easy - okay yes the game was easy but Sometimes i feel like playing a easy game where i can blow crap up. If i want a challenge i can always go back and play 1-4 on the hardest difficulty.
    few funny jokes - though many fell flat.
    Good boss fights but the designs were not as memorable as 1-4. The things I dislike the voice acting was sometime inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded emotional but sometimes didn't. the facial expression looked stiffed otherwise it looked strange. It was no uncharted 2.

In conclusion, its a reboot. its a good game. get over it.
  76. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  77. Jan 31, 2013
    It is a good game. And it's a great restart for a whole franchise. New music, new characters, new moves, new original levels. DMC 4 was rather dull. There was nothing new in it, nothing original. This is a different story. Just give it a chance.
  78. Feb 5, 2013
    Im a huge Devil May Cry fan and must admit,i was bit skeptical when Capcom decided to outsource DmC to Ninja Thoery but the end product is too awesome to warrant a purchase.The only downside is Dante does look alot like Cristiano Ronaldo and Vergil's a taller version of Messi.Kudos to NT
  79. Jan 28, 2013
    I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one.I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one. They complain about nitpicky details that no real gamer would ever give a **** about, like the color of the main character's hair. This is seriously a contentious issue with them, that you have to play though the game to get Dante's hair to be white. The combat system is similar, but with some changes; fanboys accuse it of being "dumbed down" -- it's actually just more efficient and I will explain it. What they did was remove the lock-on feature and automate it based on the Dante's direction on the screen. It makes the combat more fluid, you can effectively attack large numbers of enemies at once, and you don't have to constantly click and press the lock-on button for every enemy if you want to use the effective moves. In essence, it's much easier to pay attention to all of the enemies when your camera and your weapons aren't trained on one, which would force you to toggle between them. On the other hand, you do often instead have to hold one of the triggers to switch between angelic/demonic weapons. I think it's a question of taste at that point, since the alternative would be to toggle between them, making it cumbersome to resume using the Rebellion/Guns. Like many other action games, you now dodge with the R and L instead of the jump button. This allows you to dodge attacks from non-locked on enemies with ease, and you never accidentally jump away from an enemy (instead of rolling away). Complaining that this system is "dumbed down" is like saying Windows 7 is a dumbed down version of Windows 8 because you have to click fewer times to get the same things done. Efficiency isn't evil. The game is also "more accessible" in that the DEFAULT difficulty levels are easier than the DEFAULT difficulty levels of previous titles. "Hardcore" gamers and masochists are very welcome to play the one-hit-and-you-die difficulties, but even at Son of Sparda the difficulty is massively cranked up, with more combat scenes added. The Ninja Theory team isn't stupid -- and Capcom held their hand the entire way. It's extremely easy to make a game harder -- just take more damage and place more enemies -- so there's no reason for people to assume that because it's a different developer they weren't capable of doing it. As for the story, it has elements of the original DMC games but with a contemporary twist. The story is essentially 'They Live' with a visit to Fox News and the Slurm factory, which is as ridiculous and over-the-top as any other DMC title, except it's a little more coherent. I have never heard a DMC player tell me honestly that they ever liked, or cared about, the storyline of DMC. DMC3 centered around some tower, a concept clearly just pulled out of someone's ass, and DMC4 was about a powerful religious leader who turned out to be -- hold onto your shorts -- EVIL, and a 20-something half-demon kid who just didn't give a **** until maddam **** gets involved. In short, the stories are equally compelling or non-compelling. I even heard complaints about fan service in this game, because of Kat's (the female foil's) short shorts and constant bending over. Oh really? And what about DMC3's Lady? She had a practically invisible skirt. And Trish? She was as big-titted as always. And DMC4? What about Nero's love interest with the massive bazookas? And the new Lady's ass and cleavage in the cutscenes? The reboot is RIDICULOUSLY tame in the fan service department compared to those games. It's a Japanese TRADITION nowadays to have some level of fan service, and I'd say Ninja Theory largely missed the boat on that opportunity by providing a love interest with plausible proportions. And who cares in the end? Hot women in games are like ducks in a pond. Anyone who complains about fan service is a douche. The one major complaint I DO have about the reboot is the platforming elements and the number of cutscenes. There are way too many platforming stages, especially near the end. HOWEVER, you can cut much of the platforming if you know where you're going, and higher difficulties add more combat scenes to break it up. The remaining platforming is a speed trial for which you're rewarded with a completion time bonus. You also don't have to collect all the orbs more than once! Finally I'd like to note that, aside from DMC4, this is the ONLY DECENT PC PORT OF A CONSOLE ACTION GAME IN EXISTENCE. PC gamers don't have Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, etc. -- just DMC4 and this reboot. The porting is outstanding, and in sharp contrast to the disaster of DMC3: Special Edition. PS3 gamers can compare this to other games, we can't. This is the best so far. Expand
  80. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a real improvement! Gameplay, Graphics, Movement and Attacks are all improved, game does not lag and so far I've had fun playing the campaign, this is a must play game!
    9/10! The game is not that amazing so i wont give it a 10 but i think it deserves a 9, DmC is very fun too play if your bored and you like killing monsters.
  81. Jan 27, 2013
    i was pleasantly surprised by this game on PC. Running it at 2560x1440 on a 27 inch monitor is a delight.
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too. Has to be one of the best console style games i have seen converted to the pc. The story is actually interesting and the acting for the most part is very good. This could be the surprise
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too.

This could be the surprise hit of the year.

I also picked this up via a stream key for $30 so it seems like a bargain for this.

Anyone who is having reservations about the new new Dante, you can - or at least my version does, play as the old Dante in all but cutscenes.

You do miss some of the more crazy moves and the combat is not quite as fun as before but those annoying camera angles are gone.

Secret rooms even have a homage to the past by having the odd fix camera back when you climb stairs.

Alot of care and attention has gone into this game and i feel you would lose alot of the detail on console.

The sound is amazing too as long as you have decent sound capabilities. With a 9.1 THX system it is incredible.
  82. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch. Both combat and

Both combat and movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  83. Jul 1, 2013
    I played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, notI played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, not bad, but it hit pretty much a decent progression of story throughout the game that managed to keep my attention. I have to say the best things about this game is the design of the levels, along with the fluidity of the combat system. And while like in the old games you hack, slashed and shot up your combo multiplier they introduced enemies that you had to use specific weapons against to be able to inflict damage, along with a parry and dodge system that allowed you to progress in your combos with the right timing as the enemies became more difficult. This is so far one of the best adventure games I have played of this year, and I will say it is not an amazing game it did manage to keep my interest in playing it for a long time. Expand
  84. Feb 2, 2013
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    I'm actually extremely happy that I didn't listen to the user score and got the game anyways.
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    The game is fantastic as is expected of a Devil May Cry game. When I ask anyone why they hated the game, the most common response is because they hate the way Dante looks. Get over it, besides you can expect him to look way different in the next game. As for the story, past Devil May Cry games didn't really have much of a story, they were mostly action games. I personally enjoyed the story for this game, though it was nothing spectacular. The story was still good and interesting. Gameplay was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel.
  85. Jan 26, 2013
    This is the second DmC game I have ever played, the first one actually being DmC4 (I never beat it, played till roughly the second/third boss and got bored). From the perspective of someone who is (somewhat) new to the franchise, the game is good. On it's own, it's a fun, action packed game full of slicing and shooting and destruction.

One thing that makes the game really awesome are

One thing that makes the game really awesome are the visuals. The levels all look very colorful and interesting, and Dante's animations are fluent and fun to watch.

A bad thing is the camera. I played this game with a keyboard and mouse, and had many frustrations during platforming sections.

If you're a fan of the original DMCs, and are resistant to change (looking at you Dante), I'd assume you'd hate the game for being different. If you are a newcomer like me, the game is fine, and is well worth a play-through or two. Now, excuse me, I gotta go beat the game on Hell and Hell mode......
  86. Feb 3, 2013
    Great game..
    I am impresed. I never played any Devil may cry game. I think 9/10 are objective.

Pros:
    +combat system
    +good story
    +atmosphere
    +soundtrack(fu**ing great soundtrack)

cons
    -hmm, I don't know... but there are some I think
  87. Mar 28, 2013
    I loved this game. A lot. I really dug the alternate take on the story and characters, and the combat, though adjusted a little differently, still feels very much like a Devil May Cry game at its core. It's not the best Devil May Cry game, but it's DEFINITELY better than the insufferable DMC2 and the stale DMC4. Don't buy into the fanboyism and give this one a try. You might dig it.
  88. VRH
    Feb 17, 2013
    This game is pure AWESOMENESS!!! I was always fun of DMC series but this one really delivered! Dante is played very well (The scene with Sucubus is hilarious) story is interesting and gameplay is pure fun! When you unlock a fourth difficulty it is completely new game, Bosses and other enemies behave different...In last 3 days I have passed it 3 times and completed all secret missions andThis game is pure AWESOMENESS!!! I was always fun of DMC series but this one really delivered! Dante is played very well (The scene with Sucubus is hilarious) story is interesting and gameplay is pure fun! When you unlock a fourth difficulty it is completely new game, Bosses and other enemies behave different...In last 3 days I have passed it 3 times and completed all secret missions and I will play it again! Expand
  89. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  90. Jun 4, 2013
    This game has to be my favorite game. I like the new dante and i dont know why people are complaining. The missions are so fun to play and vergils downfall is even better. Overall if you dont have the game, get it because its fun
  91. Aug 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot for Ninja Theory to renew this fantastic saga. I've played them all and I have to say my favorite is three. In this game, Dante, rejuvenated, discovers his past that makes us think that it is a prequel to the other games since they do not know who remembers his family. Really recommended.
  92. Sep 11, 2013
    While this game may not conform to the expectations of many DMC loyalists, I think it's shameful that many of them didn't judge it on it's own merits when submitting a user review.

This game is smooth, slick, gorgeous, wildly inventive, constantly entertaining and most importantly: FUN. I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of

I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of this past generation. If you're on the fence, buy it, it is well worth your time.
  93. Nov 2, 2013
    Wonderful action game. Really makes an impression on me every time i play it. Always have to cut play time shorter than would I like to, and for me,its the most enjoyable game I have played this year.
  94. Jan 26, 2013
    I love the game. I hated the previous DmC games for being too steep.. no story just brainless hack-and-slash.
    This DmC has the Darksiders feeling and it feels really special. I never liked the Asian style of the last DmC games.
  95. Mar 27, 2013
    I had a great time with this game. It does not deserve the poor user score that haters have been giving it. DMC is an enjoyable and beautiful game that keeps your interest throughout and never has a dull moment.
  96. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't understand the backlash because the game is a little different. It's a fantastic game. The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while.
  97. Jan 25, 2013
    Im glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own nowIm glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own now adays for any multiplatform game. I honestly think the combat is improved this time around too. Yeah the enemies are a bit easier and arent as cool as past dmc titles. But there is a wider variety in moves which should please past devil may cry fans like myself. DMC has never really been about the story in my opinion, i didnt exepect much this time around either. I came to hack and slash some demons and chain together some great combo moves and the game delivered on that aspect. I love the DMC series because there just plain fun gameplay wise. You crank the volume up, get presented with a swarm of enemies and just kick there asses in the most creative way you can come up with. Its just plain fun and can get you on the edge of your seat once you get the rythem going and you see the SSS flash up. Where devil may cry falls short in my opinion is just the presentation. Limbo is cool but they over did it, half way though the game it kind of looses all its exciting moments since you come to expect whats going to happen. Atleast the varied environments make up for some of it. I also miss the whole "crazy acrobatics slow motion" cut scenes too. The new dante isnt half bad, its awkward at first hearing the name dante and looking at him but half way though the game i accepted him the same way i excepted nero. To be honest hes really just a potty mouthed nero. There both punks with attitudes and think there the sh*t. So if you got over nero in DMC4 you will accept the new dante too. Game producers try new things with franchises all the time, its just the way the world works. I would rather have a new dante then not have a new DMC at all. So just because they went in a different direction doesnt mean the game is horrible like half the reviews on here say. If you can keep a open mind, buy the game, sit back and relax and prepare to kick some demon ass. Expand
  98. Mar 27, 2013
    I loved DMC. It does not deserve the hate from fans. The game is very enjoyable and has excellent pacing and tight controls. The attention to detail is nice as well. Great mature story is a plus. I really hope there is a sequel to this awesome game.
  99. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't really know why so many people are pissed off at the game. It's a reboot people...The story's good, the combat worthy of being in a dmc and the graphics are pretty good.
    The new Dante look is a bit emo-y, but hey as i said it's a reboot. Overall it's a good game.
  100. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest heFirst off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.