6.7

1. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    I loved Devil May Cry 4, and had high hopes for DmC. It was fun in the beginning, but it became very difficulty even in easy mode (i.e., playing as human) after a few hours into the game. If you hate controllers like me, this game is not for you as keyboard mouse are not good to execute combos, which are almost mandatory if you want to finish some missions. I had to stop half way throughI loved Devil May Cry 4, and had high hopes for DmC. It was fun in the beginning, but it became very difficulty even in easy mode (i.e., playing as human) after a few hours into the game. If you hate controllers like me, this game is not for you as keyboard mouse are not good to execute combos, which are almost mandatory if you want to finish some missions. I had to stop half way through the game due to frustration with the controls. Expand
  4. Feb 2, 2013
    not sure what the critics are smoking. The worst aspect of this game is the fact that it is just plain boring. DMC is and always should be fun, but the combat in this game is so simplistic it just put me to sleep. The graphics are good, the creative level design and artistic style is solid and inspired, and the story is well integrated into the game play. I can appreciate all these things,not sure what the critics are smoking. The worst aspect of this game is the fact that it is just plain boring. DMC is and always should be fun, but the combat in this game is so simplistic it just put me to sleep. The graphics are good, the creative level design and artistic style is solid and inspired, and the story is well integrated into the game play. I can appreciate all these things, but the game play itself is just boring, and why they made Dante look like middle school bully, instead of a badass from another world makes absolutely no sense. Every time I looked at his face I just wanted to punch him, and whoever created him, in the face. The point of a video game is to play as someone else, someone you would want to be, and feel like a bad ass. Instead I got to play as a character that looked like an pedophile. If I could have kicked my own ass I would have. That would make a better game. Take this monkey looking punk, and beat the crap out of him. I would play that. Expand
  5. Jul 19, 2014
    Ok look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punkOk look. Some may find the reboot ok. others find it horrible, I as many wasn't happy with the redesign, but when i played the game i though "Eh not that bad". However there is a Major flaw in the design that at the time may seem minimal, but inevitably will hurt the game. The design is not timeless like the original. By shifting the whole absurdity and giving it a serious almost Emo/punk tone it will become dated quickly. even now i look at the game and find it hasn't aged well already. The new Dante has no staying power or ability to keep you interested in him more then i would in a snail. Maybe it will get a new game or 2 or retcon into a more classical route and properly evolve the story, but if not i will see this franchise get rebooted again quite soon. Expand
  6. Feb 1, 2013
    Visceral, creative, well-written, fun. These are four aspects that instantly spring to mind when thinking of DMC. This game just reeks of high production values and ensures there is never a dull moment. A thoroughly enjoyable experience for action fans. Highly recommended.
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    The haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find waysThe haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find ways to make limbo odd, creepy, and even scary in some sections. All with tons of great combat, something they genuinely knocked out of the park.

Only complaint is minor, and that is the little jokes Dante has which do get a bit excessive. Still super minor, the game is fantastic and I hope they keep making them because the fan hate this one got was misplaced. Tons of these negative reviewers NEVER even played the game. They just saw his hair color and hated on it immediately. It is a shame.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    I love the game. I hated the previous DmC games for being too steep.. no story just brainless hack-and-slash.
    This DmC has the Darksiders feeling and it feels really special. I never liked the Asian style of the last DmC games.
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    This is not a bad game, for god's sake its a reboot of the series, an alternate reality to the old games, you can't downrate the entire game just because the protagonist looks different, most of you need to stop throwing tantrums, and rate the game properly, no way in hell does this deserve the low rating shown here, have you played a game a game that really deserves a 0's and 1's? itsThis is not a bad game, for god's sake its a reboot of the series, an alternate reality to the old games, you can't downrate the entire game just because the protagonist looks different, most of you need to stop throwing tantrums, and rate the game properly, no way in hell does this deserve the low rating shown here, have you played a game a game that really deserves a 0's and 1's? its obviously not this. besides Capcom were done making DmC games, you wouldn't have seen another game if it weren't for Ninja Theory taking it on, and i think they did a great job, the visuals are spectacular, the performance is great, the story isn't bad either, at least the turnout was great compared what happend with the Silent Hill games when Konami stopped developing them. Expand
  10. Jan 26, 2013
    The art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked veryThe art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked very good, take the Street Fighter IV and sequels series or the Dead Rising series...even the Resident Evil 5 and sequels series had more brilliant colours and better textures. What is worst, the game makes no use of environmental mapping and landscapes, backgrounds, locations all look blurry and confused (some objects look pixelized! That's a shame for today games!). If it wasn't that we are in 2013, I would have thought that this was a 2007 game visually talking, as it's very disappointing.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a pleasant game, very action oriented, fast and paced. There is variety of enemies, different weapons, very good combo choice and character advancement during the game. But the gameplay becomes boring and repetitive very soon and the thing you keep doing is pressing attack buttons, and so on...again and again. The story is featureless and banal, you have been hearing of that stuff lots of times before...nothing new about that, the eternal conflict between angels and demons.

As for music and sounds, the game is pretty good and voice acting is immersive and believable. Controls are generally good, but when you come to combos some issues arise because e.g. pressing Q+RM or Q+F+space and so on is not always responsive and smooth, and this will often oblige you to restart from the last platform again and again... Longevity? I have finished the game is 9+1/2 hours. To sum it up, DmC: Devil May Cry could have been a very good game if it had featured a less repetitive gameplay and a more attention to controls smoothness and graphics quality for PC gamers.
  11. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
    PC the game does not play well on PC at all. Make sure to get a controller. I had to take 2 points off for this fault.
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liggggggggggghttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes the writing in this Devil May Cry game might just be some of the best, the new Dante is pretty subjective but personally I think he looks kinda cool and his snarky attitude is amusing. Pretty much like someone of that age can be. The PC version is probably the better version due to

The PC version is probably the better version due to uncapped frame rates and things, the sound track is good if you are into that kind of music. Level design in the visual sense is amazing. Judged on its own merits its a pretty good game, players into hardcore 3rd person spectacle fighters might not enjoy it so much as the combat is simplified compared to others.

Most of the people complaining are upset that its not a direct sequel, nothing wrong with that but it has reached the stage where its become people throwing their toys out of their pram.
  13. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 60 FPS, increased resolution and textures don't make up for all the shortcomings of this game.

I want to start saying that DmC was my first Devil May Cry game, and I found it decent at first. However, the more I played, the more repetitive and nonsensical the game became.
    Platforming is a chore. Air dash here, grapple this and that. Combat consists of spamming Aquilas and the Axe, along with Demon Evade. There is literally no incentive to vary your combos, since the style meter is driven by damage and not combo variety.
    Another thing that bothered me was that I played on Hard (Nephilim) but it felt like I was playing on easy. Enemies simply stand there waiting for you to whack them. Don't get me started on the bosses; they were simply horribly designed, boring and way too easy. Mundus is a joke and Vergil is simply a terrible final boss. Whole game feels rushed, too.
    The dialogue was bad. Dante can't deliver one liners and instead relies on cheap insults to compensate. The story is stupid and there are parts that simply don't make sense or even try to be relevant. Characterization is almost nonexistant, and the plot twist is predictable from miles away.
    Combat is weak. There are too little upgrades and moves, along with few potential for variation. Your weapons are overpowered and you'll find yourself spamming an attack to win in most cases. The game also likes to take control off your hands a lot with cutscenes in the middle of battle. That is unforgivable on this genre.
    The music is horrible and does not fit at all. Animations are decent, but only on Dante. Bosses suffer due to this. (see vergil, his animations are trash.)
    The game also has a lot of bugs with collision, which is why I'm not sure if this was properly beta-tested. There is also a major bug on the final Boss.

One point the game gets is the ambientation. Dynamic scenario mutation looks great, and some levels are very creative, like the club one and the one about the media. Nice color palettes.

With all of this in mind, I decided to give the originals a spin and god damn, they're much, much better. Don't waste your time with this trash and go play DMC 1, 3 and 4. Much deeper mechanics and more finely-crafted in general. DmC Gets a 3/10 from me for all its flaws and shortcomings.
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need aSince it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  15. Feb 18, 2013
    Let's see... basically a weak game in general

-Nerf gameplay
    -Linear
    -Type of difficulty easy to implement
    -Unoriginal story
    -Replay 0
    -Ninja theory overrated
  16. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    Excellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of theExcellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of the original series and pushing it in smart, often surprising, directions. Story is fine, quite funny in parts, and generally well directed and acted. The action is smooth, controls are tight, and the combat is easy to learn and hard to master. I can not fathom how the user score is below an eight for this game (oh wait, this is Metacritic, where people spam 0's for games that offend their delicate sensibilities.) This game is a blast to play, and maybe the best Capcom game since Dead Rising.

This game performs wonderfully, never dropping below 60 fps 1920x1080 at maximum settings on a three year old PC.

A special note on replayability: The game has multiple extremely difficult challenge modes that are unlocked after completing the game. People who claim this game is dumbed down and easier than the old series doing know what they're talking about. When I see a video of these people beating the hardest difficulty, I will become a believer in their cause.
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    New DmC is very dynamics, very interesting and very clever game. It has breathtaking gameplay, enthralling story. I think. that "fans" of previous games about Dante is very wrong. They think, if developers changed skin of Dante and game design then game will be very bad and not intersting. Do not believe them. It very good slasher. On this moment, it is the best game of this winter.
  19. Feb 3, 2013
    Great game..
    I am impresed. I never played any Devil may cry game. I think 9/10 are objective.

Pros:
    +combat system
    +good story
    +atmosphere
    +soundtrack(fu**ing great soundtrack)

cons
    -hmm, I don't know... but there are some I think
  20. Jan 31, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. GoodI really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. Good job, Ninja Theory. Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed this one. I don't mind the new Dante, as I never really got into the older titles. This is so action packed and intense you will get lost in it for hours. This game is constantly throwing new skills, moves and weapons at you through the entire game until the very end so it always feels fresh. Play it.
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    I played dmc 1-4 and now this reboot. Dmc 2 is the only one that I didn't get near the end. That said I can said 100% that this game is a good game. It isn't the best in the series but it is certainly a welcome addition. I can safely say that DMC is at the very least better than dmc 2. The PC ran so wonderfully that alone it got high marks. The things I liked
    The settings - ok sure it was
    The settings - ok sure it was very strange plot line but come on so is any japanese game. This game is through and through british while the other dmcs was japanese/japanese view of western view on heaven, hell etc...
    combat was smooth camera wasn't annoying
    I never felt lost unlike the other games.
    Very little puzzles compare to other games
    easy - okay yes the game was easy but Sometimes i feel like playing a easy game where i can blow crap up. If i want a challenge i can always go back and play 1-4 on the hardest difficulty.
    few funny jokes - though many fell flat.
    Good boss fights but the designs were not as memorable as 1-4. The things I dislike the voice acting was sometime inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded emotional but sometimes didn't. the facial expression looked stiffed otherwise it looked strange. It was no uncharted 2.

In conclusion, its a reboot. its a good game. get over it.
  23. Jan 27, 2013
    i was pleasantly surprised by this game on PC. Running it at 2560x1440 on a 27 inch monitor is a delight.
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too. Has to be one of the best console style games i have seen converted to the pc. The story is actually interesting and the acting for the most part is very good. This could be the surprise
    The colours and visuals just hit you in the face.
    The framerate is stellar at all times too.

This could be the surprise hit of the year.

I also picked this up via a stream key for $30 so it seems like a bargain for this.

Anyone who is having reservations about the new new Dante, you can - or at least my version does, play as the old Dante in all but cutscenes.

You do miss some of the more crazy moves and the combat is not quite as fun as before but those annoying camera angles are gone.

Secret rooms even have a homage to the past by having the odd fix camera back when you climb stairs.

Alot of care and attention has gone into this game and i feel you would lose alot of the detail on console.

The sound is amazing too as long as you have decent sound capabilities. With a 9.1 THX system it is incredible.
  24. Mar 4, 2013
    Great game, great reboot of a favorite classic! Looks wonderful on PC, is hellova fun to play I really enjoyed the fact that there's a lot more depth to the story at long last.
    Oh yeah, one other thing I really got over the bad new hair by the time the game came to an end ;)
    Looking forward to more in the years to come!
  25. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  26. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

The combat is incredibly simple and slow. Due to the fact that almost every one of your attacks has a large AoE you can simple mash Y and you'll win most fights and gain SSS ranks on the way, pressing LT/RT is optional. The game basically hands out stylish kills with minimal effort from the player. DMC 3/4 would have you switching weapons after every combo, constantly dashing around the battle and making split second decisions, this game however, instead of making the combat complex and rewarding to skillful players it cops out and simply shows you fancy animations and crunchy sounds and let bad players feel like the best.

The red/blue enemies are incredibly frustrating to fight, they limit you to 1/3rd of your attacks killing any kind of creativity and freedom. They're not difficult, or interesting, they're boring. The blue ones are worse since the angel weapons do very little single target damage.

Many of the enemies have an invulnerability state of some kind (witches shield, dreamrunner blocking everything) or in the case of the chainsaw and big buzzsaw things; large sweeping attacks that are unavoidable if you're close to them. In both cases the only thing you can do is sit back and wait them out this is just frustrating and boring.

The AI in general is things just stand around you never attacking, they only seem to notice you if you're stood right next to them and they just don't seem to do anything at all if they're not on screen.

The controls are clunky, since stinger (or the equivalent on other weapons) is activated by pressing Y" i'll often find myself activating it when I didn't intend to just from moving around. Also since there's no lock-on function it's a pain to keep sight of something and I have no real idea what I'm going to hit, I can't count the number of times I've use the grapple thing on something I didn't want.

There's a cutscene almost literally every minute, even if it's just for a few seconds. They're always there, at the beginning, middle and end of a fight, constantly breaking up the action and taking control away from the player, to add to that they're also all unskippable, at least the first time round.

The platforming, why is it there? Nobody liked it in the other DMC's or any other hack and slash game for that matter, why do they keep adding it? Sure, it actually works now and isn't clunky as all hell, but it's incredibly linear, simplistic and boring, it's like a glorified quicktime event.

The boss fights all boil down to "hit the big glowing thing". All their attacks are easily avoided and their isn't much challenge to it at all. They're basically all set pieces that have you meet a certain criteria before you can mindlessly wail on them for a while. The best boss is easily Vergil, but even then he's incredibly easy, and they couldn't resist breaking up the fight with about 5 cutscenes.

Yeah, this game actually has a story now, but it's incredibly pretentious, it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, very grimdark. The dialogue is bad and often very cringe inducing and the characters are generic and boring. The old Dante was like a cartoon character, he was interesting and funny. Sure he wasn't exactly relatable but his whole attitude suited the game's theme perfectly.

I will say though that I do like the soundtrack, at least the Combichrist stuff. Also whilst the game looks very nice, the constant intense colours gave me a bit of eye strain.

All in all, it's a HUGE step-down from previous DMC games, the game is more akin to God of War than DMC. It's sad to see one of my favorite franchises replaced by this...
  27. Jun 22, 2013
    I haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay andI haven't played a Devil May Cry game before, so I'm reviewing this game irrespective of its franchise history. In terms of quality, Ninja Theory have definitely nailed it in every department. It's the best-looking DirectX 9 game to date (with the exception of Crysis perhaps), yet it isn't actually demanding to run. The colours are very pronounced and used appropriately for gameplay and level design rather than arbitrarily. The cutscenes in this game are actually worth watching, and at the end of every level you want to know what's next in the story. The voice acting is amongst the finest I've come across too. But let's get down to it: what this game's really about is the fast-paced hectic combat. The game does a great job of introducing everything to you and incorporates this very well into the level design. There are a fair load of moves and these are cleverly split using Angel and Demon modes. Ninja Theory really thought hard about how to include a lot of distinct moves into a fast-paced game without the need for more technical inputs. The controls are great (when using Xbox 360 controller) and are easy to pick up. The combat is perhaps one of the most creative in the genre due to the number of moves, enemies and the pacing. Everything has a point and isn't there purely for style it's actually useful. There's also a training mode for testing out different combinations of attacks. Although creative, the combat isn't as hard-hitting or satisfying as Batman because it doesn't punish button mashing or require a lot of precision. However, as with the level design, the combat is totally psychedelic. There are some basic RPG elements present too. Collectibles and some objects give you money which can spent on health upgrades or extra lives. You also gain upgrades in a similar fashion to Batman in which you can spend on special moves to add to your arsenal. As you'd expect, you are given a score at the end of each level based on your performance. This does seem to slightly overrate how well you did compared to the individual breakdown of components, but hat isn't a bad thing I suppose. The difficulty levels are just right, and scoring system isn't too bad either. Overall, DmC is a great action game in all aspects. The graphics are incredible even though they don't require a supercomputer, the story is decent, level design isn't dull and combat is as it should be fast and fun. All the elements in the game complement the style so well, there doesn't seem to be anything out of place. The combat demolishes Arkham City for variety, since there are around 60 different moves (not to mention the different combinations and juggling), there are lots of different enemies and every level is different. There's always something new, and the level design is unlike anything you've ever come across because it's so unconventional. There aren't any fundamental criticisms I have of this game. If you want a fast-paced action game with a strong emphasis on combat and level design and a decent story AND is NOT generic, DmC is the best game for it. Expand
  28. Feb 20, 2013
    Un juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los hatersUn juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los haters cambien de opinión y dejen de pendejadas con el nuevo dante.. Expand
  29. Jan 31, 2013
    However not only was DMC outsourced - Ninja Theory - the Director of the Devil May Cry Series is now with Platinum Games, has been since Bayonetta
    #####
    Dante's character in DMC had some throw backs to the original, however my taste - maybe because I am getting older - having the F word thrown around as much just wasn't a good characteristic, the original Dante never had to go that far.
  30. May 14, 2013
    This game is fantastic. I thought they did an excellent job showing us a young Dante. I'm 26 and I've played every DMC game from start to finish. I don't understand the hate for this game at all. The action is cool, the voice acting is solid, and the story is fun to watch unfold. I would have enjoyed some longer cutscenes to flesh out the story a bit more, but what's there is interestingThis game is fantastic. I thought they did an excellent job showing us a young Dante. I'm 26 and I've played every DMC game from start to finish. I don't understand the hate for this game at all. The action is cool, the voice acting is solid, and the story is fun to watch unfold. I would have enjoyed some longer cutscenes to flesh out the story a bit more, but what's there is interesting and enjoyable. I don't mind that Dante is no longer half-human, not really a big deal in my opinion. I'll be looking forward to a sequel. Expand
  31. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is muchFirst of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Expand
  32. Jul 19, 2013
    For one I don't understand all the negativity for this new DMC. I'll admit I never played the previous games, so I can see how people would be angry about changes to the series. However I don't understand why pure fun hack n slash game that runs buttery smooth on pc can get such a bad score for being different than other games out there. At least for me its been a really fun game.
  33. Dec 16, 2013
    A visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn'tA visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn't worth the then high asking price. It's no doubt a game I would recommend at a discounted price. If I were to complain about a few things then it would be, that some of the boss fights are massively grindy, also I think there are slightly too many combat moves and upgrades. The tunnel-like linearity of the game isn't too much of a problem, as the levels are well-designed and looks like plenty of effort went into them. The story twist at final "boss" is the biggest let down and feels just plain wrong. Anyone giving this game a 0 or a 10 is completely nuts. Currently the User Score is 6.5 and I'd say that's slightly low, but not far off the reality. Expand
  34. Nov 7, 2013
    Very nice and much better than previous games about white onime!11 Dante!!! I'm only sad about new Vergil, but other stuff is freaking awesome
    A must-buy game for any fan
  35. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game getting lots of hate from the mindless **** that are all bent out of shape that its not a sequel from the last one and that they changed his hair its really sad that so many people will read what they have wrote and skip this game since it turned out to be a rather enjoyable play
  36. Feb 21, 2013
    A really nice reboot. I was one of the hater who hated Ninja Theory for redesigned Dante too. The thing is, everything else except the look of the characters has lived up to my expectations. I would like to play the sequel of DmC. The only thing I can complain is that the game is too easy, so easy that smashing buttons can achieve SSS grades. Please make it more challenging in the next game.
  37. Feb 5, 2013
    This is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that isThis is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that is downright unreasonable. This is a reboot of the series made by a new developer, so QUIT GIVING IT ONES AND ZEROES. Moving on. The first thing I noticed is that this is an excellent PC port. While I played DmC 3 and 4 on their respective consoles due to the general crappiness of the ports, I played DmC on my computer and loved it. The graphics were astounding with the HD upgrades, and the combat was butter smooth at 90 FPS. The second thing I noticed was the voice acting. As much as I love the previous installments in the series, the voice acting has always been downright awful, and this change was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The third thing I noticed was that the combat was FUN, unlike what so many users will have you think. Sure, it's missing the style system and the Stylish Rank gauge has been declawed, but the combat is fast, fluid, and completely worthy of any previous DmC title. Sound, visual, and enemy design is perfect, without an iota of overstatement. Limbo is a thrilling, diverse, and visually stunning setting, and the level design reflects that with each group of levels taking you to a new and shockingly unique setting. The enemy design is delightfully dark, featuring everything from weak, shambling biomechanical nightmares to demonic ninjas with masks sewn to their heads. As a fan of the New Phyrexia set from Magic: The Gathering, I just loved *looking* at the bad guys. In terms of sound, each weapon has a unique and entirely satisfying battery of noises, from the classic 'swoosh, schwing' of Rebellion to the ethereal roar of Osiris, and all this is backed up by music that is an awesome fusion of pulsing electronic and hardcore metal. Overall, as a fan of Devil May Cry, as a fan of action games, and as a PC gamer, I've got to say that DmC: Devil May Cry is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. It lacks some of the combat depth and brutal difficulty showcased by its predecessors, and the inability to manually lock on is a genuine frustration at times, but the impossibly high development values and bursting package of thrilling, new visual ideas and epic boss fights more than makes up for the shortcomings. If you're a PC gamer and a fan of spectacle fighters, a genre woefully underrepresented on PC, then it'd be a crime not to pick this game up. Expand
  38. Mar 27, 2013
    I had a great time with this game. It does not deserve the poor user score that haters have been giving it. DMC is an enjoyable and beautiful game that keeps your interest throughout and never has a dull moment.
  39. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't understand the backlash because the game is a little different. It's a fantastic game. The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while.
  40. Mar 1, 2013
    Most people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far tooMost people seem to agree that ninja theory didn't completely ruin the DMC formula. I agree. However, after about the three hour mark, you've experienced all aspects of the combat and the only further revelations appear in the form enemy palette swaps, and some original boss fights. Overall, the combat system seems less creative and more pattern based. (I'm mostly referring to the far too frequent double sword enemies that warp in and out) The visuals vary from mind-boggling beautiful to washed out, tacky, early unreal engine awfulness, the biggest culprit being the deplorable cutscenes. After what ninja theory was able to accomplish in enslaved and heavenly sword, I had to shake my head at some of the writing and delivery. I would have preferred the style of the still art they used on occasion with some sparse animation in some of the exposition scenes. Oh, and P.S., the camera will your up in a few scenes. Good effort, let's regroup on this one and come back with a vengeance. Expand
  41. Jan 31, 2013
    It is a good game. And it's a great restart for a whole franchise. New music, new characters, new moves, new original levels. DMC 4 was rather dull. There was nothing new in it, nothing original. This is a different story. Just give it a chance.
  42. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch. Both combat and

Both combat and movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  43. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convolutedI'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Expand
  44. Jan 31, 2013
    Solid game, very bad Devil May Cry game.

Combo ranks are easy to get to double S, bosses are trivial at best.
    Good platforming though, still not a solid Devil May Cry however, better luck next time.
  45. Feb 9, 2013
    This game is not bad enough to deserve a 0. Yes, it's been dumbed down to obtain a larger audience, but so is everything. Blame the world for being dumber, not the developers for trying to sell their game.
    Combat is not horrible, altough I do miss the lock-on target; and the fact that pretty much every single attack hits multiple enemies makes most of the fights too easy.
    I've never
    I've never cared much for stories in videogames (if I wanna watch a B movie, I'll watch a B movie) so I dont appreciate the abuse of unskippable cutscenes in the middle of a supposedly fast paced action game. Visuals were pretty good even if the level design was poor (just a linear corridor, using a grappling whip every once in a while doesnt change anything), and I think thats it. Better than DmC 4, worse than DmC 3, a 6 is a fair score.
  46. Feb 1, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much!First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much! Dante must be waaay over the top, he must be more badass than the word badass and last but not least he must have white hair. Pls don't break these rules ever again!
    Now some final kind words:
    The music is the best the franchise had so far, it looks SO good and is really really fluid. Well done Ninja Theory! (but pls leave the main char in tact next time)
  47. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a Bayonetta wannabe is not that bad if done properly, however, despite coming out three years after the mentioned title, it feels incomplete if compared to it. It is still a funny game though, but not sure if it's worth the money it costs.
  48. Mar 25, 2013
    Great Game! This is best DMC ever! русски!
    Перезапуск CAPCOM, 4-ая
  49. Jan 11, 2014
    I played DmC for free on PS+ and this was also my first DmC. I have played hack-n-slash games like God of War and never particularly liked them. However, I did like DmC and its combat mechanics.

There are A LOT of weapons in DmC. If they didn’t space their reveals out so well, it could easily be cumbersome to try and combo with all of the different weapon types. Even for someone that is not skilled in these types of games, I did fairly well.

The atmosphere is one of the best this generation. For a game that plays heavily on Light and Dark themes, there is a dynamic color palette. The set-pieces are very pretty. However, in the former stages of the game, there are a few too many ground crumbling, impending doom concrete sequences. Overall, the PS3 framerate was satisfactory.

One of the biggest disappointments is the length. It couldn’t have been more than 8 hours for the core story. With such attention to detail to the environment every second of the story, it is easy to see why. The benefit of the duration is that there was never a dull moment and the game was well paced.

I thought the dialogue was actually pretty decent. A little too “punkish”, but still felt very real given the characters situation.

The combat surprised me the most. For a game that shares much with God of War, I was amazed how much I liked it and how easy it was to make it look fluid.
  50. Feb 27, 2013
    This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow.This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting and cleared it with no problems and with a Stylish rank. I haven’t even done this in the previous Devil May Cry games. If there is another game and it is made by Ninja Theory, I won’t be buying it. Expand
  51. Sep 22, 2014
    The game does not deserve all the fanboy hate it receives.

The level design in this game is insane. I've never see anything quite like it. The story is also, surprisingly, very good, with characters that actually feel like real people. Dante is cocky with a **** you' attitude at first, but rapidly grows a conscience and begins to truly care for the fate of mankind and his friends. A
    The game does not deserve all the fanboy hate it receives.

The level design in this game is insane. I've never see anything quite like it.

The story is also, surprisingly, very good, with characters that actually feel like real people. Dante is cocky with a **** you' attitude at first, but rapidly grows a conscience and begins to truly care for the fate of mankind and his friends. A lot of people hate him, but I personally found him very likeable.

There are issues with the game however, but only when compared with past DMC games. The combat is far more simplistic with less weapons to choose from and the levels, though designed spectacularly, are far more linear and do not reward exploration quite as much as past titles in the series. This pissed a lot of people off, understandably. They aren't things that bothered me too much though, so I actually enjoyed the game a great deal.

A real shame it sold so poorly and received so much hate from the fanbase. It truly was a high quality product with a great story. I would love to see a sequel, but it seems unlikely now.
  52. Feb 5, 2013
    Im a huge Devil May Cry fan and must admit,i was bit skeptical when Capcom decided to outsource DmC to Ninja Thoery but the end product is too awesome to warrant a purchase.The only downside is Dante does look alot like Cristiano Ronaldo and Vergil's a taller version of Messi.Kudos to NT
  53. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMCI've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  54. Feb 24, 2013
    This is an awesome game.
    Great music,intense action,beautiful graphics,and it is well optimized.(Even on my p4 3.0ghz CPU runs it mostly well.
    IF you like slashing demons,and want something really new,try this.
    DmC has a nice replayability factor too with collectables and many difficulity mode.
    This is a must-have game for everyone,even if you didn't like the older ones.
  55. Jan 25, 2013
    Im glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own nowIm glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own now adays for any multiplatform game. I honestly think the combat is improved this time around too. Yeah the enemies are a bit easier and arent as cool as past dmc titles. But there is a wider variety in moves which should please past devil may cry fans like myself. DMC has never really been about the story in my opinion, i didnt exepect much this time around either. I came to hack and slash some demons and chain together some great combo moves and the game delivered on that aspect. I love the DMC series because there just plain fun gameplay wise. You crank the volume up, get presented with a swarm of enemies and just kick there asses in the most creative way you can come up with. Its just plain fun and can get you on the edge of your seat once you get the rythem going and you see the SSS flash up. Where devil may cry falls short in my opinion is just the presentation. Limbo is cool but they over did it, half way though the game it kind of looses all its exciting moments since you come to expect whats going to happen. Atleast the varied environments make up for some of it. I also miss the whole "crazy acrobatics slow motion" cut scenes too. The new dante isnt half bad, its awkward at first hearing the name dante and looking at him but half way though the game i accepted him the same way i excepted nero. To be honest hes really just a potty mouthed nero. There both punks with attitudes and think there the sh*t. So if you got over nero in DMC4 you will accept the new dante too. Game producers try new things with franchises all the time, its just the way the world works. I would rather have a new dante then not have a new DMC at all. So just because they went in a different direction doesnt mean the game is horrible like half the reviews on here say. If you can keep a open mind, buy the game, sit back and relax and prepare to kick some demon ass. Expand
  56. Mar 27, 2013
    I loved DMC. It does not deserve the hate from fans. The game is very enjoyable and has excellent pacing and tight controls. The attention to detail is nice as well. Great mature story is a plus. I really hope there is a sequel to this awesome game.
  57. Feb 3, 2013
    Good PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first threeGood PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first three difficulties but after that you can choose even higher difficulties and those are pretty neat. Whether or not you like the soundtrack is a matter of taste but it really fitted the action and vibe of the game. (I really liked it). It's a shame that people weigh the flaws of this game so high in comparison to all the good stuff. For most of those people it probably didn't matter what they would have made this game into, they would just hate it for not being the dmc they are used to. It's not their fault, they were just biased because of the new way the franchise went in and because of it, payed much more attention to the flaws and forgot about many of the great things this game does. REALLY REALLY hope they will continue this version of dmc.

This game gets an 8 from me but because of the many haters i will give it a 10 over here.
  58. Apr 11, 2013
    A good game and nice graphics but the overall factor wasnt so nice... I was a bit disappointed. I expected interactive cut scenes and it would have made the game a lot better but anyways it provided a nice experience and the hack and slash was extreme..
  59. Feb 3, 2013
    I simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolvingI simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolving persona, changing from the "I don't give a damn" mindset into a good character the player can somewhat relate to (as far as a human can relate to a nephilim anyways). The combat is great! The one exception being the game forcefully making the player have to use angel or demonic weapons against a specific type (read color) of enemy, extremely fluid and well balanced.

Overall the game has a decent story (appalled at how can the professional websites give full reviews of what seems to be 3 hours of gameplay), great and well paced combat combined with simple yet engaging platforming and puzzle solving (with less emphasis on the latter), and a quite big ammount of replayability, not on doing pointless achievement whoring, but on actually unlocking bonus missions of variable difficulty! Would 100% recommend this game to any fan of the action spectacle fighter style gameplay.
  60. Jan 29, 2013
    Game was pretty bad, story didn't fit in, character looks was terrible and the game was too short and easy no challenges although combat was okay. Overall a pretty big disappointment.
  61. Apr 23, 2013
    The users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give theThe users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give the game a try. And I must say, I wasn't disappointed. We all know the series needed something fresh after the fiasco that was dmc4. And Ninja Theory hit it, and hit it hard!!!! The combat was slower than the original series, but still fun. The concept of Limbo added some variety to the environment. And the story! It was good, yes, definitely better than the Claptrap of the original series. Together, counting the core game, Bloody Palace mode, and Vergil's Downfall, the game definitely deserves a 9!!!!!!! Real DmC fans, Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  62. Jul 1, 2013
    I played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, notI played the original Devil May Cry up till 4, and I had fun with them. When I saw this come out I had mix opinions as a lot of times when they do a reboot on things like this. To be honest, I enjoyed it, thoroughly, and when I mean thoroughly, I mean through every difficulty, and obtaining every single extra side quest completion that I could. The story was good, not excellent, not bad, but it hit pretty much a decent progression of story throughout the game that managed to keep my attention. I have to say the best things about this game is the design of the levels, along with the fluidity of the combat system. And while like in the old games you hack, slashed and shot up your combo multiplier they introduced enemies that you had to use specific weapons against to be able to inflict damage, along with a parry and dodge system that allowed you to progress in your combos with the right timing as the enemies became more difficult. This is so far one of the best adventure games I have played of this year, and I will say it is not an amazing game it did manage to keep my interest in playing it for a long time. Expand
  63. Apr 30, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil MayThis game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  64. Mar 8, 2013
    Definitely a game worth playing, combat is intense and involving. Entry barrier has been lowered for newcomers to the series, but still has higher difficulty levels for more experienced players so that they can enjoy it, too.

Cons: Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw. Devil Trigger is underwhelming. I personally did not get along with the

Cons:
    Target acquisition (whether enemy or grapple point) is a mildly annoying flaw.
    Devil Trigger is underwhelming.
    I personally did not get along with the camera at certain times.
    Victory over enemy waves is often times more rewarding than defeating bosses.
    The new characters are boring/difficult to connect to.
    Some of Dante's lines are overly cheesy.

While not a glaring issue, I also believe that Style ratings and performance grade reach their apex too easily.

Pros:
    Visuals are amazing
    Combat is intense and involving
    The concept of Limbo is very cool
    The idea that a demon is controlling the world with debt is an interesting one
    Music selection is good, I think that an early Gallows could have done great work for this game.

I think that it is unfortunate that there is so much controversy surrounding this game, because so many people are just angry about a haircut and the change of personality in a character that was always kind of an airhead anyway.

I feel like if the series continues to go on, that Dante is probably going to gradually turn into something that resembles his character from previous games anyway. The game is a reset of the series. We were all young once, expressing our emotions strongly and forcing old people to endure our youthful tirades.

But definitely a game worth buying or checking out!
  65. Feb 25, 2013
    The new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not veryThe new Dante sucks, I know. But the bashing this game has received by fanboys is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's an amazing game, but after playing through it, even though I hated Dante I can't deny the fun I had, pulling off some cool combos and platforming through very well designed areas. The combat flows great and the soundtrack is spot on. The story, even though it's not very interesting it was fine. The graphics and character animations were great and it really showed the amount of work it has been put into the game. I only wish they had done the same with the character developement, I only liked Lilith, Dante, Virgil and that little wiccan babe, whose name I can't remember now, were pretty uninteresting and thats pretty bad considering that those were the characters you were supposed to like and care for. The game also has some of the worst one liners I've ever heard in a video game (DANTE SUCKS lol), but the thing that made me go from an 8 to a 7 was the difficulty. I played it on Nephilim (Hard) and I pretty much destroyed everyone easily and that sucks when you're playing a series in which you're used to curse and want to puch people in the face every time you die (there used to be many of those times in ealrier DMC's). Despite the flaws, this is a very good game overall and it at least deserves a rental so you can playthrough it once. Expand
  66. Feb 1, 2013
    first off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praisesfirst off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praises aside, the storyline is pretty weak and the script is kind of cheezy at times. However, the gameplay and art design definitely makes up for it and i do recommend checking this game out. Also, think twice before hitting the unhelpful button. Expand
  67. Nov 15, 2014
    Before the game released i viewed the trailer and it looks good
    But when the game comes out and view the video i just can't believe it...
    No where compared to dmc 3s & 4
    simply a s___ game...yea S___
  68. Feb 20, 2013
    What can i say: just freaking awesome game after 8 hours i finally finished and it was worth every minute spent on it. Pros 1. PC Port 10/10 there are no camera problems, you can change your controls, graphics, everything you need just to enjoy the game 2.Graphics i was really impressed by how the game looks and performs,
  69. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  70. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't really know why so many people are pissed off at the game. It's a reboot people...The story's good, the combat worthy of being in a dmc and the graphics are pretty good.
    The new Dante look is a bit emo-y, but hey as i said it's a reboot. Overall it's a good game.
  71. Mar 23, 2013
    I was first introduced to the Devil May Cry word with DMC 4. I enjoyed it somewhat, but I found that the game had a lot of padding. Pointless challenges that did nothing but extend the length of the game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a much slicker, streamlined affair that concentrates more on stylish swordplay than trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do next. That's not to sayI was first introduced to the Devil May Cry word with DMC 4. I enjoyed it somewhat, but I found that the game had a lot of padding. Pointless challenges that did nothing but extend the length of the game. DmC: Devil May Cry is a much slicker, streamlined affair that concentrates more on stylish swordplay than trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do next. That's not to say that there no elements of exploration in the latest game, but they do not get in the way of the hacking and slashing.,
    I must admit I didn't care much for the original Dante so the introduction of the new Dante did not phase me in the slightest. Great graphics that perform extremely well even on low end hardware, great fun with swords and excellent level design.
    The low scores you see all over the place reflect the game fan's disappointment with the main character being changed. That's fair enough. But as a game, it's hard not to say it's great.
  72. Jan 26, 2013
    In short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of theIn short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of the whole over the top coolness. Dante is supposed to be a smooth dude who always finds the write words to make you grin, he is not supposed to feel like "a real guy" with "real feelings" that Expand
  73. Feb 4, 2013
    I have been a huge Devil May Cry fan since it ported to PC, I only played DMC3 and DMC4 prior to this, and loved them both enormously that I had several playthroughs on all difficulties until I unlocked everything. So...with that headnote, let's begin the review:

Firstly, I couldn't care less what Dante's hair looks like. We've all had months to get over the fact that he will look different from when E3 first previewed the trailer back in 2011. The fact that your styles have been removed in light of making it laughably easy to see which weapon works against which enemy (blue for angelic, red for demonic) is still okay because it's refreshing. The style was steroided in DMC4 already and couldn't really go any higher than that. What really bugged me was that they did away with the whole fantasy, alternate-reality castlevania type feel that was almost a hallmark of DMC games, and now replaced it with this completely stupid real-world real-time, neo-political story in today's modern world. Then we have some really irritating boss-fights. I mean, Farcry 3 this up as well having some weird, looney, acid trip when you doing that ritual thing, and now with DMC when you fight the news anchor dude. What's with all the techno-glitz? It's STUPID. Stick to basics. To be really critical, I'm not sure it's necessary having the name of the game abbreviated and then spelt in full. DMC: Devil May Cry...It's just really dumb.

The level design was boring, the missions were boring (NO other DMC game would have you running around activating generators!) that I got to a point where I only played the game just so that I could finish it. And no I will not play this game ever again!

What I did like is how Vergil/Dante's feud is explained, even though character-building is a tad rushed with regards to Vergil. I did like the cool angel/demon weapons, just a shame that there aren't enough neutral enemies in the game to let you decide on your own combo's: red enemies can only be hurt by demonic weapons, blue enemies can only be hurt by angelic weapons.

Overall not a bad effort for a new direction with DMC but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I think Capcom were onto something when they introducted Nero in DMC4 as a new playable character.

This game could have been a smidge better if the name was changed. To something completely different, like "Ninja Demon" or something totally irrelevant to the DMC franchise.
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest heFirst off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  75. Feb 2, 2013
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    I'm actually extremely happy that I didn't listen to the user score and got the game anyways.
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    The game is fantastic as is expected of a Devil May Cry game. When I ask anyone why they hated the game, the most common response is because they hate the way Dante looks. Get over it, besides you can expect him to look way different in the next game. As for the story, past Devil May Cry games didn't really have much of a story, they were mostly action games. I personally enjoyed the story for this game, though it was nothing spectacular. The story was still good and interesting. Gameplay was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel.
  76. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is great. I feel bad that I have never played a Devil May Cry game before, but I feel it's helpful to give an opinion as a newcomer to the series. This reboot is a completely new universe with whatever gameplay/story changes they see fit. So when I heard that was the case, I was interested. I picked this game up on release for 49.99, which for Australia is pretty god damn cheap.This game is great. I feel bad that I have never played a Devil May Cry game before, but I feel it's helpful to give an opinion as a newcomer to the series. This reboot is a completely new universe with whatever gameplay/story changes they see fit. So when I heard that was the case, I was interested. I picked this game up on release for 49.99, which for Australia is pretty god damn cheap. I was immediately hooked by the general atmosphere. The way it blends the music with the gameplay gives it a really bad-ass intense feel, and the visual are not only stunning on max pc settings, but are also colorful and are play an important role when telling the story. You play as Dante (Like the previous games.) The story mainly revolves around him and his journey towards helping the human race and generally growing as a person. He is half demon and half angel and works with his twin brother and a human girl to overthrow the demons control over the human race. I think the gameplay is the strongest area of the game. You will not get tired of stringing together combos. As soon as you get the feeling of wanting a new toy to play with, the game gives it to you. Great pacing. It knows player. As I said before everything balances into one incredibly polished action/adventure spamfest and it's great. It doesn't set new ground for the genre, but it's an absolute joy to play and I respect the developers. I think this is best played on PC, the game runs amazingly, although I would recommend a controller plugged in though.

77. Feb 4, 2013
    It's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippersIt's definitely DMC game play the level designs are fantastic, the story is paced very well and while not a top notch example of writing, it's still a decent story on par (or possibly better) than some of the stuff that passes for a summer action movie in recent years. My primary drawback was that this game was written for teenagers. It's like someone said "Let's show them some strippers and demons and angels while rehashing Dante's genesis with some super-human action thrown in the hack and slash mix to make them feel like they're doing something." If you can keep your opinion from hinging heavily on subject matter the presentation is great. I do have to say though who thought Dante's new look should be white-trash douche in an overcoat? Bad move totally cost this game a lot of cool points. Not that I prefer the original look, I just don't really think they did any better. Expand
  78. Feb 9, 2013
    Epic game. This game combines the combat system of the 3rd part with the demonic arm type addition from the 4th game, while at the same time improving both. The story is really strong with the only negative thing being that the characters development could be a little bit better. Overall a solid game with a great fighting system, solid story and amazing graphics.
  79. Jan 25, 2013
    Played only DMC 3 and 4 before, but this reboot looks pretty good, and Dante is better than in DMC 4 but still worse than DMC 3 IMHO. Overall pretty nice game. Needs more options on PC, at least Vsync and filtering options.
  80. Aug 23, 2013
    Inconsistent is the best word I can use to describe this game. The level and art design for some missions are amazing (night club, news tower), and then others are kind of bland (mundus's tower, succubus's lair). The story is all right, but the villain isn't really written well. I'll give some pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the

PROS:

1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the levels in limbo reminds me of Alice madness returns which I also loved.

2. Combat. I loved the different weapons and combos you can come up with, but the list of combos isn't really that long compared to games like bayonetta or god of war. If you are playing on pc, I recommend the controller because the keyboard layout can get quite confusing.

3. Art/Level design. The levels, for the most part, are designed well and will keep your attention throughout your playtime. Night club and the news tower are a must to experience.

CONS:

1. Game is short beat it in 7.5 hours. It's fine if you are paying 20 bucks, but anything more and you start to feel ripped off.

2. Bosses are pretty easy and the final ones leave a lot to be desired. They looked great, but their mechanics were very simplistic and Ninja theory held your hand during the fight.

3. Inconsistent storytelling. At times the missions are written well, but the 2nd half of the game feels rushed and forced.

All in all, the game is worth a rental but because of its short length. I'm not into score submissions or replaying levels to be on top of an online leaderboard either. A 7 or 8 is more realistic score for this game.
  81. Jun 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game.. It's a huge fun to play.. very addictive specially in your first gameplay.. and you would probably go for more then one walkthrough, specially with the new difficulties incentive.. the level-repeat system is great.. it actually makes repeating levels useful, since it keeps your new upgrades and the new stuff you achieved while repeating that level..

on the other

on the other hand, the gameplay, although very fun, is pretty much plain and shallow, you don't do anything special.. you don't think.. it's Just some random daemons that shows up for you to hack & slash, or button mash.. but i guess that's what a hack-&-slash video game is.

The story is stupid, it feels shallow and juvenile, as you'd expect from a daemons-plot.. The story feels like an uninteresting teens anime.. it takes the "governments control you" & "media owns you" theme, But Dante is so NOT v for vendetta.. He's a douchebag and doesn't feel like a fully developed character.. In the first 2010 debut trailer.. he seemed very interesting, He seemed like the stoned, sick, twisted-criminal-minded careless psycho sort of character.. Not the theatrical badass, More like natural careless evil guy.. But what they offered was totally different then the impression that trailer gave.. They offered an undeveloped semi-cool douchebag who loves to exhibit his ability to say you".. It felt like writers were depending on his charming smile rather than the character's dialog or persona.. Ya. it was kinda cool and memorable character.. but surely not the unique or interesting one..

But the really annoying character was Virgil.. Virgil felt like Hoyt in Far cry 3.. the final villain who doesn't fit to be the final villain.. The nonsensical character that feels it was just made evil to give you a final boss mission.. besides, the final scene "SPOILER" was dumb.. what do you mean by taking control of the world.. what they gonna do? hit a button? make another virility?

In the overall.. it's a great game. if you want to play a game that's very enjoyable.. very fun.. but with shallow story and writing, Then this is your choice.

P.S: I never played any DMC before. only played devil may cry 3 for like the first two hours and haven't really kicked in into the game.. So this review is not in compare to previous games.. it's based solely on what the new DMC offers.
  82. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely great game.
    I haven't played DmC since DmC3, and at first didn't like the look of this one, but I gave it a go nonetheless.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. The combat system is superb, the soundtrack is great (although won't be to everyone's taste), and the graphics and level design is top-notch, although slightly corridor. Unfortunately, the story let it down
    Absolutely great game.
    Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.
    Unfortunately, the story let it down slightly, as it was vague and there was no real "drive" behind Dante's actions, whereas the story in the older games was more detailed, but still a great game nonetheless.
    It was also somewhat short, leaving maybe enough replay value for a second (but unlikely a third) playthrough.

I'd recommend it, but maybe when it's nice and cheap.
  83. Feb 17, 2013
    A pretty good game with few downsides. The first thing people notice is the reboot has changed a lot of things. First there is the new Dante, who is far inferior to the original Dante both visually and as a character, as he appears as a generic guy with very little appeal as a character. Same goes for Vergil and Kat. The story is nothing special, but it does it's part in this type of game.A pretty good game with few downsides. The first thing people notice is the reboot has changed a lot of things. First there is the new Dante, who is far inferior to the original Dante both visually and as a character, as he appears as a generic guy with very little appeal as a character. Same goes for Vergil and Kat. The story is nothing special, but it does it's part in this type of game. Graphics are nothing spectacular technically, but it gives the game nice visuals combined with the twisted environments of the Limbo. Gameplay is simpler than the previous DMC games, but it is still a lot of fun. The color-coded weapon and enemy system is a bit juvenile and rather than increasing the difficulty by making some enemies immune to certain weapons, it's more likely to be irritating. Lastly, the game is a very good port with extensive options and works great with a keyboard. Expand
  84. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of the finest brawler/slash-em-up games ever. On top of the excellent and intuitive control system that lets you unleash your combo fury (that is easy to access, hard to master) it has the most amazing art direction it could possibly have.

Ninja Theory continues its streak of GREAT games and playing it on the PC on 60 fps really helps the action and the responsiveness a lot.

Here's to one of the most underappreciated (by users) games of all time. And all because of some hair color.

It combines the combat of previous DMC games with the Angel/Devil (L/R Triggers) weapons to execute the most seamlessly combat flow ever. The story is not for everyone, though it's certainly an improvement of the series, but the combat is miles ahead both of the previous games and the competition.

Is it better than... say... God of War, Castlevania: LOS, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising...? DmC has the best combat of them all. Not the best game, though it's certainly the best of the series by far.
  85. Oct 29, 2013
    it's a really great game. Perfect action sequences, cut-scenes, gameplay. The only reason I gave it 9 but not 10 is the controls. it feels a little beat freaky to play via keyboard mouse (long jumps are most annoying). didn't play the previous DMC games, but strongly recommend it to everyone. Ninja Theory just made their best game ever cheers!)
  86. Oct 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I loved Devil May Cry, hated Devil May Cry 2, and never got back into the series, so I have yet to play 3 or 4. With DMC: Devil May Cry, I saw a game attempting to reinvent a stale franchise and originally purchased it on PS3. I played it for 4-5 hours but me being me, I got distracted by Guild Wars 2 for months on end and ended up selling it back. With theLet me start by saying that I loved Devil May Cry, hated Devil May Cry 2, and never got back into the series, so I have yet to play 3 or 4. With DMC: Devil May Cry, I saw a game attempting to reinvent a stale franchise and originally purchased it on PS3. I played it for 4-5 hours but me being me, I got distracted by Guild Wars 2 for months on end and ended up selling it back. With the recent steam sale putting it on sale for 12 bucks I purchased it again, only this time with glorious fluidity that this game deserves at 80 FPS, and ultra graphic settings, only amplified with the beauty of SweetFX. My, what a game. The battle system is beautifully crafted, the fluid movement from combo to combo is amazing compared to the repetitive bore that is the God of War franchise. The reward of chaining together combos and not mashing buttons to get the highest possible score reminded me of why I loved the original so much. The design and set pieces were top notch and beautifully done. The boss fights were very entertaining adding the scope of the mega bosses needed to make it feel epic, along with combining the battle system and set pieces to add motion and thought to each and every boss making them very entertaining compared to the usual mash X button until your enemy is dead, the Bob Barbus fight was just freaking amazing. As for the story, I was genuinely surprised and entertained by everything they did with the story and the changes they made in regards to re-imagining the story in a new modern way. The game goes about in a very matter of fact tone progressing from mission to mission developing characters while keeping things light and not overly serious. The game had it's fair share of laughs and silly humor not intended for young children, or for boring old geezers whom are prim and proper, though towards the end the game does tighten up and become more serious as the climax comes closer. As for the music, it suited the game design. Fast and fluid during the boss fights, and ambient in the background when you are trying to concentrate, but nothing that I would point out as something truly groundbreaking, just a good job in staying true to the game. Regarding characters, the redesign of Dante was something I was in favor of. His look matches his personality, a delinquent bad ass, and I thought his personality was spot on for the type of game they were trying to create. If I was disappointed in anyone, it was Virgil. He was just, okay, I didn't fall in love with him. I have yet to play the DLC with him but maybe that will change how I feel about him, but overall he was a very mediocre character. Kat on the other hand I grew to love. Her personality and general attitude grew on me, along with her design and the way they progressed her throughout the game. but Kat I really grew to like. As for Mundus, I like that they tried to make him a part of the game and develop him as a real threat, even adding in tidbits of emotion into his character and not painting him as a stone faced demon lord with no care in the world.

Overall, I found the game to be very enjoyable, with a well crafted story, beautiful graphics, and extremely fun game play.

Graphics 9/10
    Sound 7.5/10
    Story 8.5/10
    Gameplay 9.5/10
    Characters 8.5/10

Overall: 8.6/10
  87. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  88. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A piece of a solid game. Just completed it and it was worth the money. Animations & story perfect. They have done an amazing job on this game. Do the lines were pretty cheese. They also could improve acting in some cut-scenes. People should stop hating on the character and actually try the game first before even writing the reviews. Expand
  89. Feb 14, 2013
    The game of became such a drag after a while of playing. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just abysmal. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got sick of all the profanity, mind you, I was playing alone. Pros: Some of the music was good, though the placement was way off sometimes. PlatformingThe game of became such a drag after a while of playing. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just abysmal. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got sick of all the profanity, mind you, I was playing alone. Pros: Some of the music was good, though the placement was way off sometimes. Platforming was often fun. Environmental design was pretty good at times. Cons: Juvenile and shallow writing Bad story Characters are as one-dimensional as possible Character design is just plain bad Combat got boring really fast Game focuses on enemies that require certain weapons to take down. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom which are the backbone of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me. No replay value whatsoever It's just way too easy, I honestly don't get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game? Expand
  90. Feb 4, 2013
    It's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visualsIt's not a bad game in truth. However the difficulty levels can be quite disappointing at times, especially the final 2 fights. However I did enjoy the game and getting those satisfying S rankings. This low barrier of entry would certainly earn kudos among new Devil May Cry players trying to get into the series. Major gripes would of course be no lock on system. But really pleasing visuals and creative level designs, it's still a good game. Expand
  91. Jan 29, 2013
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphicsI would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphics appears on the PS3. Screen tearing and some load times between bosses. Other than That, I think the game looks fantastic. Limbo was one of the best ideas I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. The wold twists and contorts as Dante get dragged down into limbo. Concerning the new look of Dante and Vergil, I really like the new Dante look. I know to some he looks edgy, but over all he doesn't look terrible. You start to realize that this new look of Dante correlates to his personality and character in the story. Vergil on the other had doesn't appeal to me as much. I understand that there's also a story based reason as to why he looks the way he does, but I just don't particularly like it. I can appreciate the work and detail that went into the design of the new Vergil. He doesn't look bad, I'm just not too fond of his new look. I'm sure some of you guys and gals will like it though. Now we get to the story. The main plot of the game isn't that original, but still rather enjoyable. Its no Lord of the Rings, but its still enjoyable. I'm going to compare DmC to Pitch Perfect. Both have really predictable stories, but both also have some amazing characters in their story. DmC's strength doesn't necessarily lie in its main plot, but rather the characters in the plot. This is the first time we see an unsure Dante. He's lost and finds some sort of meaning after meeting up with his long lost brother Vergil. Vergil on the other hand is strong, confident, and has a brilliant mind. Seeing Dante change from a bitter emo teen, to a young adult that is trying to not only find a place where he belongs, but is also trying to do right by everyone he loves. I would like to commend Ninja Theory again on the brilliant characters in this game. As much as I want to hate the new Dante's personality, I can't. This is because I understand where he's coming from because Ninja Theory made sure that you connect with him as a character and not just your avatar in the game. There's a new character named Kat. She's Vergils right hand and is Dante's partner on the field. What we as gamer's expect from a female character in a Devil May Cry game is that they would be Dante's love interest. That's not the case here. Instead of she loving Dante, she ends up loving Vergil. This will make all the difference in the story because for the first time, Dante is considered 2nd best in his world. Its usually Dante is the cool guy that gets the girl all the time. Not this time around. Time for Gameplay. Its amazing. I know some people were really turned off when they found out that the game would run at 30 frames instead of 60, but you don't really notice it. The combat is fun, fast paced, and it caters to the creative side of the player. It allows you to think up and create new ways to dish out the pain. I must have spent a good 8 whole hours (not 8 hours straight. Jesus.) in the training mode just thinking up new ways to reach the coveted SSS rank. The bosses aren't all that great to fight, but some of them are just amazing to look at ( I'm looking at you Bob Barbas) Speaking of ranks, the style rank this time around is really user friendly. Although it does take some skill to get the SSS rank we all want so much, it doesn't take as much skill as opposed to the likes of DMC3 and DMC4. Although it is sort of a turn off, I still feel that sense of accomplishment when I get that SSS rank. (but then I remember that its a lot easier to get and SSS rank in this game, then I feel horrible and start crying out of shame for feeling proud). Dante now has 2 kind of weapons, Angel and Demon. Angel weapons move fast while Demonic ones hit like a motherf*****. My problem with this is that there are only 2 weapons per type. The older DMC's gave tons of weapons to play with, why couldn't this one? I would guess its because they wanted the game to cater to newer players. Which is fine. (but please release a weapon pack. No really. That would be dope. Thanks.) Platforming in the game is incredibly fun. I'm not so big on platforming, but moving around in this game was incredibly fun. I felt like I was a badass while jumping of a ledge, swinging my way through a warped and disfigured factory where all the crates, and shelves were flying around. Platforming is fun. Plain and simple. Over all I think the new DmC is a blast. It does deserve a chance, and people shouldn't base their opinions because of hair colour. I would give DmC: Devil May Cry an 8.9/10. Expand
  92. Jan 26, 2013
    This is the second DmC game I have ever played, the first one actually being DmC4 (I never beat it, played till roughly the second/third boss and got bored). From the perspective of someone who is (somewhat) new to the franchise, the game is good. On it's own, it's a fun, action packed game full of slicing and shooting and destruction.

One thing that makes the game really awesome are

One thing that makes the game really awesome are the visuals. The levels all look very colorful and interesting, and Dante's animations are fluent and fun to watch.

A bad thing is the camera. I played this game with a keyboard and mouse, and had many frustrations during platforming sections.

If you're a fan of the original DMCs, and are resistant to change (looking at you Dante), I'd assume you'd hate the game for being different. If you are a newcomer like me, the game is fine, and is well worth a play-through or two. Now, excuse me, I gotta go beat the game on Hell and Hell mode......
  93. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics:
    The game looks really great. The visual design of the areas you go through is top notch. Limbo has a saturated feel to it with a lot of vibrant colors that I think are really nice. In particular the Nightclub you go through is a very cool area. The way levels twist around you is nice.
    That said the design of the levels is subpar. There is exploration of side paths to find upgrades but other than that the levels are fighting areas with straight lines in between.
    Moving around with the A/D pull is neat at first but the game never really does anything with it. You may as well be walking down a hallway. Its a pretty hallway, but its still a hallway.

Enemy design is pretty great for the most part. The katana enemies are really awesome looking as are the creepy baby demons. Some are stupid (like the orange chainsaw men) or designed in a really blatant way (HIT MY GIANT BELLY ORB PLEASE).

Character designs are okay. Dantes looks like a douche though.
    Vergil looks better but his outfit is silly. Kat is odd. In some scenes she looks attractive but in others her face looks retarded.

Sound:
    Music. Blegh. Most of it is very generic sounding dubstep that can get a bit obnoxious at times. Its not all bad though, there are some good tracks.
    Sound effects are meh. The sounds used for attacks makes them feel weak. Ebony and Ivory feel like peashooters with a tinny sound effect and Angel Weapons and Rebellion dont feel like theyre doing much. The Axe and the Fists have pretty good sound effects though. The big meaty WHUNK when you hit something is nice.
    Voice acting is passable. None of the characters are memorable though. A lot just sounds like actors saying their lines. Also Dantes voice acting really worse towards the end of the game.

Writing: Average at best and horrible at worst.
    Some of its witty. Dante has some cool lines and has an ok arc. Other dialog is cringeworthy and tries too hard (like calling Dante a scrotum-sack.)
    Unfortunately Dante never really stops being unlikeable. Its hard to get invested because you hate the main character. Several things are brought up once and never mentioned again or left unexplained.
    Eg: The game tells us that 'Demons and Angels have always existed and they have always been at war'.
    But we never see an Angel. If Angels exist, where are they?
    It feels like the writers wanted to make Dante cooler so they made him an Angel/Devil hybrid. Eva became an Angel without giving a second thought to the consequences of having Angels exist.

I like the idea of Demons pulling the strings of corporations and governments to control humanity. But it goes nowhere. We know they are controlling humanity, but why? Do Demons eat Humans? Do they harvest their souls for power? Why are they doing all this? Never explained.
    Vergils turn at the end of the game comes out of nowhere. It was a complete asspull.
    The game had shown him as willing to sacrifice lives for his goals but it was never foreshadowed that he wanted to rule the world. Gameplay:
    Fighting is fluid. Everything flows together and its easy to dispatch multiple enemies. Problem is its TOO easy.
    The game does a good job at making you feel powerful but it doesnt feel satisfying because of how easy it is. Most enemies will stand around waiting for you to beat the **** out of them. The color-coded enemies are a stupid decision. Theres no complex gameplay around them. Just hit them with a specific weapon. It quickly becomes annoying.

The game hands out S ranks like candy. You can do even the most basic combos and have the game give you SSS. Feels cheap.

Boss fights are way too easy. All you do is dodge the telegraphed attacks and occasionally deal damage until the boss falls down giving you 10 seconds or so to beat on them then repeat. Again this doesnt feel satisfying.
    The bosses are well designed visually however. The media boss is stellar in particular.

I am completely baffled as to why lock-on is absent. It makes literally no sense. The game does a good job at figuring out who you want to attack but not having a lock on is still a bizarre design choice. It limits your combat moves in a series that is all about the combat. Having a lock-on allows you to have different directional inputs for different moves while still ensuring your target is the one you intend. Its not like the controller doesnt have room for it. Both LB and RB are dodge. They function identically. Why couldnt LB have been dodge and RB have been lock on? Devil Trigger is not only pointless in this game its also more of a hindrance than a useful ability.
    Using DT sends EVERY ENEMY into the air and then holds them there. This also plays into the unsatisfying combat. Beating on completely defenseless enemies doesnt feel engaging. The increase in power you get is tiny, so DT becomes nothing more than a way to refill your health or a panic button.
  94. Jan 26, 2013
    Overall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combatOverall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combat system is very good overall. Tons of options regarding how you play due to having 8 weapons available at all times by the end of the game, and each weapon having several upgradeable/learn-able abilities. Certainly not classic DMC action, but there are 4 games that hold up perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for. If you're a fan of the series (like me) or a newcomer to action games there's a lot of fun to be had here, so long as you're willing to put up with a lackluster story. But I don't really know anyone who plays action games, let alone Devil May Cry, for the story. Expand
  95. Jan 26, 2013
    Why Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the levelWhy Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the level design but even that started getting stale real fast.Simply put this is like DMC2 all over again look you guys need to go back to your roots and stop outsourcing your franchises simple as that Expand
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, areOk Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, are just guy who love old Dante too much, yes his the iconic character that made the DMC what it is. But if you keep playing it some of Dante's old look comes to play aswell as his red coat when DT is used. His hair will probably come back in the next one so don't flag the game as a bad one because i bet most of you haven't even played it yet. A FACT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING IT A 0 ARE TROLLS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEW DANTE. Expand
  97. Jan 26, 2013
    I rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the actionI rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the action perfectly and a battle system, that surpasses any of the previous ones and it is a blast to experiment with. I'd have given it 9/10, but I'm giving it 10 to compensate for the haters. If you're and action game fan, get it! Expand
  98. Jan 26, 2013
    It's a shame so many people are giving this a negative review without even playing it. That's like Amazon reviewers giving a product a 0 because of a shipping issue. Garbage...

I've been a fan of the series since 1 and have played every one since then. I wouldn't call myself a die hard fan, but maybe that's a good thing looking at these terrible fanboy negative reviews. As a game, I

As a game, I thought it played great! Ninja Theory did an excellent job of paying tribute to the original series (from gameplay, story, visuals, etc.) without it being an "abomination" as some call it. Combat was fluid and felt visceral which is what DmC shines at. I actually liked the story and VO better than the original series. The old games came off a bit cheesy here and there, whereas DmC has a more down to earth approach.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a solid game and looks amazing on my HTPC with the great PC version framerate. Looking forward to the sequel! :)
  99. Jan 27, 2013
    Wow, I would like to ask about how many of these people scoring 0 on this game have actually completed it.

Ok, first of all, I've clreared all Devil May Cry games, on all difficulties. So I've done with this and damn it, its not that bad, seriously. You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other

You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other company.

When you get this clear, then you can objectively rate this game.

I have done so, and I can say that its a good game. Cool graphic style, nice gameplay (a lil' bit different from original ones) great music and sound effects. The plot is not as awesome as on DMC 1 and 3 but still large way better than 2.

I think Ninja Theory did a good job in fact, but not brilliant, that's why I give it 7 points.

Let's hope they get better with age and DMC 2 do honor to the saga it belongs.
  100. Jan 27, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this game, i was skeptical at first because of Dante's new look and the staleness of the franchise. The moves and combo abilities are easy to understand are great to pull off. If you don't buy it new, i would recommend it a must have when the price comes down.
  101. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Okay, so call me one of the "haters" of this game ever since it was announced. It's a good game, there, I said it. However, there ARE problems with it, and there ARE SPOILERS in this review.

The gameplay, while being Ninja Theory's best attempt so far, is simply not up to par with a Devil May Cry game. There are some baffling design choices, like the removal of a lock-on (which is even more crazy with the sheer amount of flying enemies there are) the colored enemies (namely when they throw blue ones at you since you can just beat the other enemies, save the blue one for last but it's boring because you can just combo it to oblivion since there's no worries of being knocked out of a combo, but they take forever to kill because angel weapons are so weak) and the style meter. (which has been slightly adjusted since the game came out but it's still far too easy to get a SSS and maintain it.) The heavily scripted platforming also makes a game series which has always rewarded multiple playthroughs a drag on multiple playthroughs, because you already know the solution to each platforming sequence.

Now then, onto the story. It's complete and utter garbage, especially considering one of the reasons Capcom even asked Ninja Theory to make Devil May Cry was because of their storytelling. The writing is childish and seems like something you would see out of a fanfiction (Ninja Theory hopping on that Nephilim bandwagon!) and Dante just comes across as a loud jerk, while Vergil comes off as somebody who does NOTHING WHATSOEVER DURING THE ENTIRE GAME. He was one of the best written characters in both the original Devil May Cry (even with NO dialogue whatsoever, what does that tell you?) and in Devil May Cry 3, even though Devil May Cry 3 by all accounts had a very generic storyline, but it WAS executed well.

Okay, so Vergil basically has no personality whatsoever in this game despite the fact Mundus killed his and Dante's mother, and imprisoned Sparda indefinitely. He shows no "anger" towards Mundus, or barely any enthusiasm about anything, even when he learns of Mundus' unborn child and subsequently murders it during the infamous hostage exchange sequence. Dante at least shows some emotion, despite how badly written and crude it is at times. Vergil however is literally a blank slate. Sure, some people will say that Vergil is just displaying how calm and collected he was, but he's just written badly, there's no ifs ands or buts about it. Dante's writing seems like a masterpiece in comparison to Vergil, despite how pointlessly crude he's written like they first discovered that swear words existed. I will say, not all the characters are written badly, but out of the three main characters, Kat, Vergil and Dante are for the most part written very poorly. The voice actors' performance is also nothing special.

The best characters, in order of how good they are go like this: Bob Barbas (Just doing God's work) Mundus and Lilith. (and their voice actors are fairly good, they manage to convey some real emotion.)

For all of the buildup to confronting Mundus also the boss fight was very underwhelming, as were most of the boss fights in the game, they feel more like something that belongs in a platformer than a Devil May Cry game. (all 6 of them) Vergil is the most DMC like boss fight, but is still very underwhelming because he's laughably easy even on Dante Must Die. The best boss fight in the game was Bob Barbas, hands down, and I absolutely think he was the best character in the game period.

Also, Vergil's heel turn at the end is unbelievably stupid and comes out of left field. People told me that it was building up to it, but god no they didn't build up to it at all. Kat willingly let herself be taken in by the SWAT team during the raid on The Order so that Vergil and Dante could get away, and some people will say Vergil didn't give a damn when he was starting a firefight during the hostage exchange (but conveniently all of the bullets shot by both sides managed to miss Kat despite the fact she was hobbling to the car, YAY PLOT ARMOR!)

Oh, and by the way, you beat Vergil in Devil Trigger, and when Dante comes out of Devil Trigger during the cutscene, his hair is inexplicably white permanently. No explanation, no fanfare, no nothing. Not even any comments from Vergil or Kat like "Hey, your hair looks different" or "Hey bro, it looks good white."

In short, I like the game, but it could literally be called anything but Devil May Cry, and there'd be no controversy, no intense scrutiny of the game, no nothing, and it would probably be enjoying good sales. If Ninja Theory can improve the writing, improve some of the gameplay in the sequel if it garners enough sales for a sequel, I'll probably happily buy it and give it a more favorable review.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.