6.7

1. Feb 21, 2013
    I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock,I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock, the story is acceptable, not the blasphemy some people call, but the second thing is, i really hate the fact that with this being a good game with possibility of being even better, Ninja Theory and Capcom will probably scrap this project as the black sheep of the family just for plain hate of the people who gave this so many bad reviews without even giving credit to the good things, it's plain unfair, i would love to see more games with this gameplay instead of another DMC2 (which i believe it was really a flawed game), i do hope they at least maintain some of the things that they brought to this game and encourage everyone doubting to play it and try not hate it from the start. Expand
  2. Feb 8, 2013
    It's my first review on this site so do not take it too seriouily, however seeing this game receive only 5.6 reviewers rating is what i call a I played throughout first DMC more than few times and playing this one gave me as much fun. It's true that new dante isn't the old one but it didn't stop me from enjoying the gamplay, level design and story. Soundtrack builds tense atmosphereIt's my first review on this site so do not take it too seriouily, however seeing this game receive only 5.6 reviewers rating is what i call a I played throughout first DMC more than few times and playing this one gave me as much fun. It's true that new dante isn't the old one but it didn't stop me from enjoying the gamplay, level design and story. Soundtrack builds tense atmosphere which suits hack and slash game as well. I believe 8 out of 10 suits this game well, it lacks good lock on system and its not much of chalenge but i had tons of fun playing. Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    the combat and game play of this is fantastic ,only problem is the short story and the boss combate otherwise the game is pretty good, i love the graphics and environment ,i runs smoothly on my pc
  4. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics:
    The game looks really great. The visual design of the areas you go through is top notch. Limbo has a saturated feel to it with a lot of vibrant colors that I think are really nice. In particular the Nightclub you go through is a very cool area. The way levels twist around you is nice.
    That said the design of the levels is subpar. There is exploration of side paths to find upgrades but other than that the levels are fighting areas with straight lines in between.
    Moving around with the A/D pull is neat at first but the game never really does anything with it. You may as well be walking down a hallway. Its a pretty hallway, but its still a hallway.

Enemy design is pretty great for the most part. The katana enemies are really awesome looking as are the creepy baby demons. Some are stupid (like the orange chainsaw men) or designed in a really blatant way (HIT MY GIANT BELLY ORB PLEASE).

Character designs are okay. Dantes looks like a douche though.
    Vergil looks better but his outfit is silly. Kat is odd. In some scenes she looks attractive but in others her face looks retarded.

Sound:
    Music. Blegh. Most of it is very generic sounding dubstep that can get a bit obnoxious at times. Its not all bad though, there are some good tracks.
    Sound effects are meh. The sounds used for attacks makes them feel weak. Ebony and Ivory feel like peashooters with a tinny sound effect and Angel Weapons and Rebellion dont feel like theyre doing much. The Axe and the Fists have pretty good sound effects though. The big meaty WHUNK when you hit something is nice.
    Voice acting is passable. None of the characters are memorable though. A lot just sounds like actors saying their lines. Also Dantes voice acting really worse towards the end of the game.

Writing: Average at best and horrible at worst.
    Some of its witty. Dante has some cool lines and has an ok arc. Other dialog is cringeworthy and tries too hard (like calling Dante a scrotum-sack.)
    Unfortunately Dante never really stops being unlikeable. Its hard to get invested because you hate the main character. Several things are brought up once and never mentioned again or left unexplained.
    Eg: The game tells us that 'Demons and Angels have always existed and they have always been at war'.
    But we never see an Angel. If Angels exist, where are they?
    It feels like the writers wanted to make Dante cooler so they made him an Angel/Devil hybrid. Eva became an Angel without giving a second thought to the consequences of having Angels exist.

I like the idea of Demons pulling the strings of corporations and governments to control humanity. But it goes nowhere. We know they are controlling humanity, but why? Do Demons eat Humans? Do they harvest their souls for power? Why are they doing all this? Never explained.
    Vergils turn at the end of the game comes out of nowhere. It was a complete asspull.
    The game had shown him as willing to sacrifice lives for his goals but it was never foreshadowed that he wanted to rule the world. Gameplay:
    Fighting is fluid. Everything flows together and its easy to dispatch multiple enemies. Problem is its TOO easy.
    The game does a good job at making you feel powerful but it doesnt feel satisfying because of how easy it is. Most enemies will stand around waiting for you to beat the **** out of them. The color-coded enemies are a stupid decision. Theres no complex gameplay around them. Just hit them with a specific weapon. It quickly becomes annoying.

The game hands out S ranks like candy. You can do even the most basic combos and have the game give you SSS. Feels cheap.

Boss fights are way too easy. All you do is dodge the telegraphed attacks and occasionally deal damage until the boss falls down giving you 10 seconds or so to beat on them then repeat. Again this doesnt feel satisfying.
    The bosses are well designed visually however. The media boss is stellar in particular.

I am completely baffled as to why lock-on is absent. It makes literally no sense. The game does a good job at figuring out who you want to attack but not having a lock on is still a bizarre design choice. It limits your combat moves in a series that is all about the combat. Having a lock-on allows you to have different directional inputs for different moves while still ensuring your target is the one you intend. Its not like the controller doesnt have room for it. Both LB and RB are dodge. They function identically. Why couldnt LB have been dodge and RB have been lock on? Devil Trigger is not only pointless in this game its also more of a hindrance than a useful ability.
    Using DT sends EVERY ENEMY into the air and then holds them there. This also plays into the unsatisfying combat. Beating on completely defenseless enemies doesnt feel engaging. The increase in power you get is tiny, so DT becomes nothing more than a way to refill your health or a panic button.
  5. Jan 26, 2013
    In short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of theIn short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of the whole over the top coolness. Dante is supposed to be a smooth dude who always finds the write words to make you grin, he is not supposed to feel like "a real guy" with "real feelings" that Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest heFirst off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  9. Feb 4, 2013
    I have been a huge Devil May Cry fan since it ported to PC, I only played DMC3 and DMC4 prior to this, and loved them both enormously that I had several playthroughs on all difficulties until I unlocked everything. So...with that headnote, let's begin the review:

Firstly, I couldn't care less what Dante's hair looks like. We've all had months to get over the fact that he will look different from when E3 first previewed the trailer back in 2011. The fact that your styles have been removed in light of making it laughably easy to see which weapon works against which enemy (blue for angelic, red for demonic) is still okay because it's refreshing. The style was steroided in DMC4 already and couldn't really go any higher than that. What really bugged me was that they did away with the whole fantasy, alternate-reality castlevania type feel that was almost a hallmark of DMC games, and now replaced it with this completely stupid real-world real-time, neo-political story in today's modern world. Then we have some really irritating boss-fights. I mean, Farcry 3 this up as well having some weird, looney, acid trip when you doing that ritual thing, and now with DMC when you fight the news anchor dude. What's with all the techno-glitz? It's STUPID. Stick to basics. To be really critical, I'm not sure it's necessary having the name of the game abbreviated and then spelt in full. DMC: Devil May Cry...It's just really dumb.

The level design was boring, the missions were boring (NO other DMC game would have you running around activating generators!) that I got to a point where I only played the game just so that I could finish it. And no I will not play this game ever again!

What I did like is how Vergil/Dante's feud is explained, even though character-building is a tad rushed with regards to Vergil. I did like the cool angel/demon weapons, just a shame that there aren't enough neutral enemies in the game to let you decide on your own combo's: red enemies can only be hurt by demonic weapons, blue enemies can only be hurt by angelic weapons.

Overall not a bad effort for a new direction with DMC but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I think Capcom were onto something when they introducted Nero in DMC4 as a new playable character.

This game could have been a smidge better if the name was changed. To something completely different, like "Ninja Demon" or something totally irrelevant to the DMC franchise.
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

The combat is incredibly simple and slow. Due to the fact that almost every one of your attacks has a large AoE you can simple mash Y and you'll win most fights and gain SSS ranks on the way, pressing LT/RT is optional. The game basically hands out stylish kills with minimal effort from the player. DMC 3/4 would have you switching weapons after every combo, constantly dashing around the battle and making split second decisions, this game however, instead of making the combat complex and rewarding to skillful players it cops out and simply shows you fancy animations and crunchy sounds and let bad players feel like the best.

The red/blue enemies are incredibly frustrating to fight, they limit you to 1/3rd of your attacks killing any kind of creativity and freedom. They're not difficult, or interesting, they're boring. The blue ones are worse since the angel weapons do very little single target damage.

Many of the enemies have an invulnerability state of some kind (witches shield, dreamrunner blocking everything) or in the case of the chainsaw and big buzzsaw things; large sweeping attacks that are unavoidable if you're close to them. In both cases the only thing you can do is sit back and wait them out this is just frustrating and boring.

The AI in general is things just stand around you never attacking, they only seem to notice you if you're stood right next to them and they just don't seem to do anything at all if they're not on screen.

The controls are clunky, since stinger (or the equivalent on other weapons) is activated by pressing Y" i'll often find myself activating it when I didn't intend to just from moving around. Also since there's no lock-on function it's a pain to keep sight of something and I have no real idea what I'm going to hit, I can't count the number of times I've use the grapple thing on something I didn't want.

There's a cutscene almost literally every minute, even if it's just for a few seconds. They're always there, at the beginning, middle and end of a fight, constantly breaking up the action and taking control away from the player, to add to that they're also all unskippable, at least the first time round.

The platforming, why is it there? Nobody liked it in the other DMC's or any other hack and slash game for that matter, why do they keep adding it? Sure, it actually works now and isn't clunky as all hell, but it's incredibly linear, simplistic and boring, it's like a glorified quicktime event.

The boss fights all boil down to "hit the big glowing thing". All their attacks are easily avoided and their isn't much challenge to it at all. They're basically all set pieces that have you meet a certain criteria before you can mindlessly wail on them for a while. The best boss is easily Vergil, but even then he's incredibly easy, and they couldn't resist breaking up the fight with about 5 cutscenes.

Yeah, this game actually has a story now, but it's incredibly pretentious, it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, very grimdark. The dialogue is bad and often very cringe inducing and the characters are generic and boring. The old Dante was like a cartoon character, he was interesting and funny. Sure he wasn't exactly relatable but his whole attitude suited the game's theme perfectly.

I will say though that I do like the soundtrack, at least the Combichrist stuff. Also whilst the game looks very nice, the constant intense colours gave me a bit of eye strain.

All in all, it's a HUGE step-down from previous DMC games, the game is more akin to God of War than DMC. It's sad to see one of my favorite franchises replaced by this...
  11. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMCI've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  12. Jan 26, 2013
    Why Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the levelWhy Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the level design but even that started getting stale real fast.Simply put this is like DMC2 all over again look you guys need to go back to your roots and stop outsourcing your franchises simple as that Expand
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    Played only DMC 3 and 4 before, but this reboot looks pretty good, and Dante is better than in DMC 4 but still worse than DMC 3 IMHO. Overall pretty nice game. Needs more options on PC, at least Vsync and filtering options.
  14. Jan 29, 2013
    Game was pretty bad, story didn't fit in, character looks was terrible and the game was too short and easy no challenges although combat was okay. Overall a pretty big disappointment.
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    This game had a lot of potential, however there a several reasons why this is not a 10. Without playing as Vergil this game seems incomplete to me. You need to purchase a lazy piece of DLC to do that.
    Also, the lack of skins for yourself and weapons is an issue, also because you need to buy them if you want any. Maybe I find this to be a huge problem because I am from a time where you unlocked such things through game play and not you wallet.
    The last part of the game seemed lazy, and the lack of a targeting system really pissed me off at times.
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me just straight to the point. As the new reboot of the DmC story, it sure has some interesting part, even though overall I think the story has yet to reach its max potential. Frankly, the integration of the weapons and the story is better than the previous DmC. It's a shame that I think that the only plus point of the game.

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't

For the minus points, like I said that the story isn't quite that deep. Second, unlike previous DmC games, this fifth installments is rather easy and it has no challenge. They should at the very least add more puzzles to the game. The third one, Dante's design really different than the previous DmC, making it like it isn't a DmC game. And the fourth one, I am rather disappointed because I think DmC 4 has better graphic than this DmC.
  17. Jan 16, 2014
    The haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find waysThe haters are trolling because Dante doesn't have white hair. The thing is though, this is a reboot, he eventually starts looking more like the old Dante, that was obvious from the get go. The game itself though? Is one of my favorite games this year. The action, the combat, it is all top notch. Even the platforming is fantastic, something I usually loathe in video games. They find ways to make limbo odd, creepy, and even scary in some sections. All with tons of great combat, something they genuinely knocked out of the park.

Only complaint is minor, and that is the little jokes Dante has which do get a bit excessive. Still super minor, the game is fantastic and I hope they keep making them because the fan hate this one got was misplaced. Tons of these negative reviewers NEVER even played the game. They just saw his hair color and hated on it immediately. It is a shame.
  18. Dec 16, 2013
    A visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn'tA visual-treat, with above-average facial/character animations and good voice-acting. My first experience with DmC, and it was a fun one. It's a linear but imaginative brawler with a demon-limbo theme at times it feels truly epic, and others slightly repetitive and a bit clunky. I seem to remember this came out in January but I held off on buying it as I kind of suspected that it wasn't worth the then high asking price. It's no doubt a game I would recommend at a discounted price. If I were to complain about a few things then it would be, that some of the boss fights are massively grindy, also I think there are slightly too many combat moves and upgrades. The tunnel-like linearity of the game isn't too much of a problem, as the levels are well-designed and looks like plenty of effort went into them. The story twist at final "boss" is the biggest let down and feels just plain wrong. Anyone giving this game a 0 or a 10 is completely nuts. Currently the User Score is 6.5 and I'd say that's slightly low, but not far off the reality. Expand
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    I played DmC for free on PS+ and this was also my first DmC. I have played hack-n-slash games like God of War and never particularly liked them. However, I did like DmC and its combat mechanics.

There are A LOT of weapons in DmC. If they didn’t space their reveals out so well, it could easily be cumbersome to try and combo with all of the different weapon types. Even for someone that is not skilled in these types of games, I did fairly well.

The atmosphere is one of the best this generation. For a game that plays heavily on Light and Dark themes, there is a dynamic color palette. The set-pieces are very pretty. However, in the former stages of the game, there are a few too many ground crumbling, impending doom concrete sequences. Overall, the PS3 framerate was satisfactory.

One of the biggest disappointments is the length. It couldn’t have been more than 8 hours for the core story. With such attention to detail to the environment every second of the story, it is easy to see why. The benefit of the duration is that there was never a dull moment and the game was well paced.

I thought the dialogue was actually pretty decent. A little too “punkish”, but still felt very real given the characters situation.

The combat surprised me the most. For a game that shares much with God of War, I was amazed how much I liked it and how easy it was to make it look fluid.
  20. Aug 23, 2013
    Inconsistent is the best word I can use to describe this game. The level and art design for some missions are amazing (night club, news tower), and then others are kind of bland (mundus's tower, succubus's lair). The story is all right, but the villain isn't really written well. I'll give some pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the

PROS:

1. Graphics. The game looks fantastic, and the rearrangement of the levels in limbo reminds me of Alice madness returns which I also loved.

2. Combat. I loved the different weapons and combos you can come up with, but the list of combos isn't really that long compared to games like bayonetta or god of war. If you are playing on pc, I recommend the controller because the keyboard layout can get quite confusing.

3. Art/Level design. The levels, for the most part, are designed well and will keep your attention throughout your playtime. Night club and the news tower are a must to experience.

CONS:

1. Game is short beat it in 7.5 hours. It's fine if you are paying 20 bucks, but anything more and you start to feel ripped off.

2. Bosses are pretty easy and the final ones leave a lot to be desired. They looked great, but their mechanics were very simplistic and Ninja theory held your hand during the fight.

3. Inconsistent storytelling. At times the missions are written well, but the 2nd half of the game feels rushed and forced.

All in all, the game is worth a rental but because of its short length. I'm not into score submissions or replaying levels to be on top of an online leaderboard either. A 7 or 8 is more realistic score for this game.
  21. Mar 11, 2013
    I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised.I have been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time so when I heard about this reboot I immediately went into "butthurt fanboy" mode for quite a few months. However, I have a policy of always trying out games before judging them, so I gave this one a chance too. I have to say the first cinematic really made me want to smash my head on the wall. After that, however, I was positively surprised. The gameplay, although easier, is brilliant and made me forget about the new characters and the arguably mediocre plot very quickly. The level design is gorgeous and Combichrist really made an awesome job on the aggressive soundtrack. The guitar in the combat themes will make you feel like a badass. There are two things (well, aside for Dante's behaviour in the beginning) that annoyed the crap out of me: the lack of a lock on feature (this NEEDS to be patched, especially if they're planning on releasing future DLCs) and the way they pictured Sparda. From invincible overpowered hero to...well...useless Also, I don't understand why they removed the taunting option. From a technical point of view I'd say the game is nearly perfect, with very few to no bugs (at least, that's my experience), amazing graphics and responsive controls. A quality porting...not something I'm used to, especially when it comes to this kind of games. Overall, although I initially hated to admit it, I had a lot of fun with this game. While playing it's clear as day that the developers put a lot of effort and hard work into it and that's not something you see very often nowadays so I take my hat off before NT's developers and artists, as well as Noisia and Combichrist. It's good to see some people still care about what they do. My rating would be 7/7.5 if we look at it as a Devil May Cry game but a solid 8.5 if we consider it as a normal hack'n slash. In any case, it's worth a try. P.S. Now I would like to see a game in the original Devil May Cry universe, Capcom...pretty please? lol Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2013
    I've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil mayI've always loved Devil May Cry as a series, And I love action games. The weakest of the series until this point has been Devil may Cry 2, while not a bad game, it not particular good either, the gameplay was solid, but it was utterly forgettable and mediocre, something not acceptable with a franchise like Devil May Cry. DmC: Devil May Cry (a stupid title already as it means "Devil may Cry: Devil May Cry) is on the good side, a solid action game with decent combat, a good soundtrack ,satisfyingly visceral gamefeel and inventive platofrming, it has gorgeous scenery and level design, and had it been a standalone game it would be fine, a decent 6-7. But as this is a supposed reboot of a beloved franchise, this game is an awful disservice. The Good: The Combat is solid, the Platforming as I said was nice, and some of the characterization is well done, some clever dialogue, decent storytelling at times and a generally cool premise.
    The Bad: This game is a slap in the face to any Devil May Cry fan. It takes what was good about the previous games franchise and totally misses the point. Dante is immature, and childish. the "Humor" is most of the time juvenile rubbish, the plot is predictable and the characters are nauseating. The Villain is decent, only because he is a blatant rip off of Lex Luthor with Al Pacino's character from "The Devil's Advocate", Vulgar, Disgusting and most bosses (with one notable and awesome exception) are just boring. The game is on easy mode the whole time, as it gets closer to the end the being forced to use angel or demon weapons on certain enemies becomes a chore and severely hampers the freedom of the game's otherwise excellent combat, it's simplistic in a bad way and compared to other Devil may Cry entries doesnt cut the mustard at all. As the much as the story was never the strong point of Devil May Cry, it made up for the laughable dialogue and plot with charm and cheeky delivery. It was a Japanese Evil Dead in a way, and we loved it. This doesnt capture that same spirit and tries too hard to be punk, but misses the point of the series. This drags the whole game down. That and the insulting jabs at Devil May Cry fans (while later trying to pander to them through DLC) is disgusting and mean spirited, not at all the kind of gentle ribbing a lot of remakes give as winks and nods to fans. These jabs feel born out of bitterness and mean spirited arrogance, not playful and loving satire. The whole experience, taken together, gives an otherwise good game a sour taste in my mouth, worst of all. The game isn't as bad as I wanted it to be, and this sounds weird, I know. The Ugly: I was Promised Vergl becoming a Fedora wearing T-rex, Time travelling Dante, insanity and crazyness. I got none of that, I didn't get smoker heroin addict emo donte, I didn't get awkward spidey 3 peter parker dante, I got bland "I knew in my heart I wasnt crazy" dante. and That is not Dante, Dante is always Crazy, Dante is ridiculous, Devil May Cry is over the top theatrics, stylish and awesome gameplay and a cheap b-movie plot and cheesy dialogue that is full of charm and melodrama. The cynicism in this game poisons the charm, the best part of the game is when it's at it's most absurd with the Bill o'reily expy and the club sequence. The "Limbo" sections with the giant statue thingy and the more weird parts. But over all, Devil May Cry is not a game that takes itself seriously. That is this game's chief problem it takes itself seriously. It does a terrible job of capturing what makes Devil May Cry loved, and should have been an entirely new IP

The Verdict: DmC: Devil May Cry is a fine game taken on it's own. It's fun, it's exciting, it has an alright story, and decent storytelling, gorgeous enviroments, fun gameplay mechanics and excellent combat. It is also perhaps the best Port of the series and runs great on the PC. This is bogged down by childish dialogue, poor adaption to the series, takes itself too serious, bad acting out the ass. (with a few exceptions) and poor execution of a lot of good ideas, to make matters worse, the game cant pick a tone and stick with it. Overall though, while not bad, it's not good either, which unfortunately consigns this title to the same bargain bin as Devil May Cry 2. They deserve each other in a way. Worth a play if you want a laugh, but I wouldn't spend much money on it.
  23. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the bestThe game is great, well throughout combat system, high re-playability value with increased difficulty levels. The art direction is great, graphics are also neat, if you happen to have 3d vision setup you definetley need to check this game out with the helix fix, its flawless 3d and man it looks awesome. You can finish the game by just button mashing but the combat system is one of the best I've seen in my opinion, resembles the one from heavenly sword, too bad so few games similar to this one are released on the PC.

CAUTION: game is totally unplayabe with the Mouse/Keyboard.
  24. Jul 19, 2013
    I loved playing DmC. Game-play is just awesome. Badly waiting for Dmc 2. I agree the characters are not put up well when we compare them to previous Devil May Cry characters but you can't rate a game based on that completely.
  25. Sep 11, 2013
    While this game may not conform to the expectations of many DMC loyalists, I think it's shameful that many of them didn't judge it on it's own merits when submitting a user review.

This game is smooth, slick, gorgeous, wildly inventive, constantly entertaining and most importantly: FUN. I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of

I adored this game and consider that it should belong on every gamer's list of the top games of this past generation. If you're on the fence, buy it, it is well worth your time.
  26. Jan 30, 2014
    a very good game the combat is what i liked most,if u play it on a keyboard u are gonna have some problems but if u get a controller the game becomes pretty fun u just get to deal easily a ton of flashy kills with style and it feels awesome,i just wanna go on bloody palace mode and kill for hours
  27. Mar 17, 2014
    Though DMC is not as good devil may cry 3 or 4, it's still an great game. The combat is fluid, it has some awesome music and amazing environments. The only disappointment for me was that the game is not nearly as hard as the other installments
  28. Aug 17, 2013
    Played all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparentPlayed all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparent that it was a console port. The controls felt a bit less-than-intuitive and unresponsive at times; even by the end of the game you might find yourself fumbling here and there, but overall the combat was very fun, if not a bit frustrating at times.

The story is has excellent pacing and actually pretty interesting. It will, at the very least, keep you playing until the end. I blasted through the game in a day. The soundtrack is perfect for the game and I have nothing to complain about, it does well to get your adrenaline going. However, I can't give enough praise about the dialogue, voice acting, and well-done character modeling. The script is so refreshing in its creative absurdness. (ex: Dante: "FU!" Baddie: "FU!" Dante: "No, FU!!"). It never felt contrived and I can't tell you how many games I've played where the dialogue is so straight-up predictable and monotone too the point where all I hear is "blah blah blah". You can tell the crew and voice actors really had fun with it.

Overall, a solid game with some flaws (camera, controls), but easily holds it's own in the series.
  29. Apr 23, 2013
    The users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give theThe users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give the game a try. And I must say, I wasn't disappointed. We all know the series needed something fresh after the fiasco that was dmc4. And Ninja Theory hit it, and hit it hard!!!! The combat was slower than the original series, but still fun. The concept of Limbo added some variety to the environment. And the story! It was good, yes, definitely better than the Claptrap of the original series. Together, counting the core game, Bloody Palace mode, and Vergil's Downfall, the game definitely deserves a 9!!!!!!! Real DmC fans, Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  30. Feb 6, 2013
    Really awesome slasher. Ninja Theory make the brilliant game that is fun for everyone. No need to run through whole level to "push the button" and back to the start just for another "button". You just sit and have fun, no exceptions.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.