6.7

1. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be
    fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  2. Feb 21, 2013
    I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock, the story is acceptable, not the blasphemy some people call, but the second thing is, i really hate the fact that with this being a good game with possibility of being even better, Ninja Theory and Capcom will probably scrap this project as the black sheep of the family just for plain hate of the people who gave this so many bad reviews without even giving credit to the good things, it's plain unfair, i would love to see more games with this gameplay instead of another DMC2 (which i believe it was really a flawed game), i do hope they at least maintain some of the things that they brought to this game and encourage everyone doubting to play it and try not hate it from the start. Expand
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    the combat and game play of this is fantastic ,only problem is the short story and the boss combate otherwise the game is pretty good, i love the graphics and environment ,i runs smoothly on my pc
  5. Jan 25, 2013
    New DmC is very dynamics, very interesting and very clever game. It has breathtaking gameplay, enthralling story. I think. that "fans" of previous games about Dante is very wrong. They think, if developers changed skin of Dante and game design then game will be very bad and not intersting. Do not believe them. It very good slasher. On this moment, it is the best game of this winter.
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A piece of a solid game. Just completed it and it was worth the money. Animations & story perfect. They have done an amazing job on this game. Do the lines were pretty cheese. They also could improve acting in some cut-scenes. People should stop hating on the character and actually try the game first before even writing the reviews. Expand
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch.

Both combat and
    movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  8. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  10. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, are just guy who love old Dante too much, yes his the iconic character that made the DMC what it is. But if you keep playing it some of Dante's old look comes to play aswell as his red coat when DT is used. His hair will probably come back in the next one so don't flag the game as a bad one because i bet most of you haven't even played it yet. A FACT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING IT A 0 ARE TROLLS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEW DANTE. Expand
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    I love the game. I hated the previous DmC games for being too steep.. no story just brainless hack-and-slash.
    This DmC has the Darksiders feeling and it feels really special. I never liked the Asian style of the last DmC games.
  12. Jan 26, 2013
    I rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the action perfectly and a battle system, that surpasses any of the previous ones and it is a blast to experiment with. I'd have given it 9/10, but I'm giving it 10 to compensate for the haters. If you're and action game fan, get it! Expand
  13. Jan 28, 2013
    I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one. They complain about nitpicky details that no real gamer would ever give a **** about, like the color of the main character's hair. This is seriously a contentious issue with them, that you have to play though the game to get Dante's hair to be white. The combat system is similar, but with some changes; fanboys accuse it of being "dumbed down" -- it's actually just more efficient and I will explain it. What they did was remove the lock-on feature and automate it based on the Dante's direction on the screen. It makes the combat more fluid, you can effectively attack large numbers of enemies at once, and you don't have to constantly click and press the lock-on button for every enemy if you want to use the effective moves. In essence, it's much easier to pay attention to all of the enemies when your camera and your weapons aren't trained on one, which would force you to toggle between them. On the other hand, you do often instead have to hold one of the triggers to switch between angelic/demonic weapons. I think it's a question of taste at that point, since the alternative would be to toggle between them, making it cumbersome to resume using the Rebellion/Guns. Like many other action games, you now dodge with the R and L instead of the jump button. This allows you to dodge attacks from non-locked on enemies with ease, and you never accidentally jump away from an enemy (instead of rolling away). Complaining that this system is "dumbed down" is like saying Windows 7 is a dumbed down version of Windows 8 because you have to click fewer times to get the same things done. Efficiency isn't evil. The game is also "more accessible" in that the DEFAULT difficulty levels are easier than the DEFAULT difficulty levels of previous titles. "Hardcore" gamers and masochists are very welcome to play the one-hit-and-you-die difficulties, but even at Son of Sparda the difficulty is massively cranked up, with more combat scenes added. The Ninja Theory team isn't stupid -- and Capcom held their hand the entire way. It's extremely easy to make a game harder -- just take more damage and place more enemies -- so there's no reason for people to assume that because it's a different developer they weren't capable of doing it. As for the story, it has elements of the original DMC games but with a contemporary twist. The story is essentially 'They Live' with a visit to Fox News and the Slurm factory, which is as ridiculous and over-the-top as any other DMC title, except it's a little more coherent. I have never heard a DMC player tell me honestly that they ever liked, or cared about, the storyline of DMC. DMC3 centered around some tower, a concept clearly just pulled out of someone's ass, and DMC4 was about a powerful religious leader who turned out to be -- hold onto your shorts -- EVIL, and a 20-something half-demon kid who just didn't give a **** until maddam **** gets involved. In short, the stories are equally compelling or non-compelling. I even heard complaints about fan service in this game, because of Kat's (the female foil's) short shorts and constant bending over. Oh really? And what about DMC3's Lady? She had a practically invisible skirt. And Trish? She was as big-titted as always. And DMC4? What about Nero's love interest with the massive bazookas? And the new Lady's ass and cleavage in the cutscenes? The reboot is RIDICULOUSLY tame in the fan service department compared to those games. It's a Japanese TRADITION nowadays to have some level of fan service, and I'd say Ninja Theory largely missed the boat on that opportunity by providing a love interest with plausible proportions. And who cares in the end? Hot women in games are like ducks in a pond. Anyone who complains about fan service is a douche. The one major complaint I DO have about the reboot is the platforming elements and the number of cutscenes. There are way too many platforming stages, especially near the end. HOWEVER, you can cut much of the platforming if you know where you're going, and higher difficulties add more combat scenes to break it up. The remaining platforming is a speed trial for which you're rewarded with a completion time bonus. You also don't have to collect all the orbs more than once! Finally I'd like to note that, aside from DMC4, this is the ONLY DECENT PC PORT OF A CONSOLE ACTION GAME IN EXISTENCE. PC gamers don't have Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, etc. -- just DMC4 and this reboot. The porting is outstanding, and in sharp contrast to the disaster of DMC3: Special Edition. PS3 gamers can compare this to other games, we can't. This is the best so far. Expand
  14. Jan 28, 2013
    First thing first, my english isn`t perfect, so sorry about that.
    I`m a great DMC fan, my favorite is DMC 3 SE and DMC 4. I maxed out both game, on every difficulty, every challange and of course the Bloody Palace (like hundred times).
    When I saw the first videos and news about DMC: Devil May Cry, I was scepting. Dante looks lame, they will rape my favorite game, gonna be casual for Call
    of Duty fans and for more selling, etc. After beating the game first time on PC, here is my review:
    Graphics: absolutely great! Great performance even on my middle category PC. The concept is really awesome, animations are fluid and Limbo effect is looks very cool. Environments, monsters, characters, they all looks great, in my opinion it is very artistic and I like it. There was one or two frustrating mission because of the visuals but thats it. Still 10/10.
    Gameplay: just like previous DMC-s, awesome combos, platforming, challenges, everything what I liked before and still something new. I played DMC-s with gamepad, but this time keyboard + mouse combination was far better for me. Simply you have more buttons to operate with, much easier to combo with other weapons, to evade, jump, shot and almost everything. With mouse to look around when platforming or switching between enemies is almost perfect. While this game is not as hardcore as DMC 3, it is still not casual, actually in DMC 4 Nero was a little bit. I give 9/10, because of there is only a few boss fight and no bloody palace.
    Story: well DMC 3 story was not a big deal but I liked that evil twin brother thing. Fighting against Vergil after those cutscenes really gives me a chill running down on my spine. DMC 4 was tried something new, with Nero and his love story. It was new and fresh, while Dante was the same personal, so I liked that too, even the cutscenes was great. In DMC: Devil may cry the story was nothing new, almost like in DMC 3, but in a new environment and modern world perspective. For a hack and slash game it is just enough. I give 9/10 because those awesome figthing cutscenes missing this time.

Summary: I really enjoyed this game, I will play it through on all difficulty and waiting for the bloody palace. It is good as previous ones, be open minded, try out, finish the game and maybe you will realize that this is not the same DMC as before, but as a reboot this game is amazing. Great work Ninja Theory.
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    Decent story, decent boss fights, and superb everything else! The game really pushes you to your limit in higher difficulties - forcing you to nearly master this deep combat system, in turn making the game even funner to play. The level design is amazing, too!
  16. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  17. Feb 2, 2013
    Even I was being a crybaby, 'why Dante doesn't have white hair?' 'why he is not so cool, rather serious?' After a hard dilemma and with the critic scores, I gave this game a try. Now I introspect myself... the earlier Dante he was one of the coolest character of Capcom, ever made. I as a fan was not much bothered who he really is, whats his origin. this game has provided me a solid story of Dante's origin... connecting to his cooler side (in the sequel may be)

this game has provided me a whole bunch of things about Dante, to be fan about... He is no more a mysterious character, eating pizza and flirting his girlfriends
    this origin, and other stuffs about Dante, is rightfully mine, as a fan. Thanks Capcom.

Mr. Crybaby... whoever is reading this review, to decide to give this game a try.... don't worry to buy one.
    else you'll regret it.

Story 10/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Level designs 9/10
    Bosses 8/10
    Presentation, animation 10/10

overall 10/10
  18. Feb 6, 2013
    Really awesome slasher. Ninja Theory make the brilliant game that is fun for everyone. No need to run through whole level to "push the button" and back to the start just for another "button". You just sit and have fun, no exceptions.
  19. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game getting lots of hate from the mindless **** that are all bent out of shape that its not a sequel from the last one and that they changed his hair its really sad that so many people will read what they have wrote and skip this game since it turned out to be a rather enjoyable play
  21. Feb 3, 2013
    I simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolving persona, changing from the "I don't give a damn" mindset into a good character the player can somewhat relate to (as far as a human can relate to a nephilim anyways). The combat is great! The one exception being the game forcefully making the player have to use angel or demonic weapons against a specific type (read color) of enemy, extremely fluid and well balanced.

Overall the game has a decent story (appalled at how can the professional websites give full reviews of what seems to be 3 hours of gameplay), great and well paced combat combined with simple yet engaging platforming and puzzle solving (with less emphasis on the latter), and a quite big ammount of replayability, not on doing pointless achievement whoring, but on actually unlocking bonus missions of variable difficulty! Would 100% recommend this game to any fan of the action spectacle fighter style gameplay.
  22. Jan 27, 2013
    I really can't understand why people are having so much hate on this title. They are retards, seriously. It's a god damn reboot, more like spin-off or smth, not a next game with linked plot like in other 4 games. So, i gave this game 10, just because i don't want to see it underrated. Ninja Theory did a great job with it, the game looks stylish and beautiful and all the heroes are looking good and pretty attractive. Stop hating this, i really enjoyed new DmC, it's the best slasher game i have ever played in last 4 years, so.. yeah. I don't know about consoles, i don't have one, i am talking about PC now. Peace out. Expand
  23. GNZ
    Jan 27, 2013
    No matter what the internet haters would spout out before playing the actual game itself, this game IS a Devil May Cry game at heart, as a long time fan of the series itself, I was impressed by this breath of fresh air that Ninja Theory have given t o the series.

The combat is fast and fluid and fast just like the previous games, it is a little more simplified in some aspects, but at
    the same time the combat is mixed up with certain enemies that can only be affected by certain weapons, this in turn has you dodging some enemies whilst using a certain weapon on one enemy that has no effect on the other two behind you, which all in all adds a nice twist to the combat ... rather than having you simply stand there using the axe for everything, as most people would have you believe.

The gameplay is fun, gone is the backtracking, the platforming sections are pretty fun for what they are and the levels as well as limbo itself are beautiful to look at.

The complaints about the game being built on the unreal engine are laughable, the game runs fine, looks ace doing it, and plays just as smoothly as any other Devil May Cry game.

My only personal complaint, the Succubus fight, the writing for that boss fight ... was poor, and not down to the new Dante, infact the insanely foul mouth was the boss, it was a bit over the top on the swearing and such in that scene in my opinion.

I was interested in the game ever since the first reveal trailer and was impressed with how it turned out, a bit easier than previous titles, but to be fair, most games these days are far easier than they used to be.

If you're even thinking about it, don't think, just buy it, and give the game a chance, you'll soon see that all the hate and slander the game gets is miss-placed, the new Dante is far from an "edgy emo" that everyone seems to cry about... either way, try the game and make your own decisions which would be more than most are doing, which is tearing into a game from a few vid's and screenshots they've seen, taking everything out of context and reviewing something they have not even touched first hand.
  24. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful Game, history, stunning graphics, great style combat, in pc versión it's better. i don't like the dante's new look, but with the dlc , the problem is solved ;)
  25. Jan 27, 2013
    The game has all that an action game needs: Rewarding gameplay with plenty of combo possibilities, good visuals (both in quality and aesthetics) and a soundtrack that flows perfectly with what's happening on the screen.
    The story is above the average of this genre I'd say. The personality and occasional puns of Dante fit very well and don't make him a douchebag, I don't know where a lot
    of people get that from... just as the complains about the difficulty. If you are a pro, don't take one of the first 2 difficulties. Oh, and finishing the game unlocks several even harder modes, so there should be enough for everyone.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely come back to it at a later time, which I don't do with a lot of singleplayer games.
  26. Jan 28, 2013
    Certainly desirable to play on the PC, as inexplicably locked FPS on consoles.
    What can I say, knowingly gave the boys from ninja theory, did just super. Finally DmC of stupid math was complete, properly organized game. Sobsno vydrachivaniya SSS element itself remained, but with a new combat system receiving this rating was a million times more intuitive and fun.
  27. Jan 28, 2013
    this is an amazing game the way you feel when the music play has you slice up you enemies and bodies go flying. i liked the new Dante he is a bad ass but i would like the old look with the new personality. the story is good but i'm still confused why is this through the media and banks it is really diffident to what games i play.
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    This is a really good game good graphics story and characters!
    don't know what people are crying about, this is the first devil may cry game I have played and it is awesome, great graphics with 100-150 fps and something interesting happening every corner I would recommend to fast paced action lovers, would give a 10 but had problems with install.
  29. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DLCs, addons and, of course, DmC 2.
  30. Jan 29, 2013
    It's really amazing. NT show unbeliviable skill of making levels and boses. They choose great music for game (especially Noisia). Not so bad plot and dynamic. I was sitting with opened mouth - I was really shoked. It's AMAZING!!!

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.